Speaker 1: And now an exclusive interview with David Bassey for Dodger Talk.
Speaker 2: It's the Dodgers and Brewers.
Speaker 1: Everybody's excited about this, the two best teams in baseball, and it's time for our Managers Meeting, presented by Downy Hunday. We're in the office of Dave Roberts. It's always strange when I walk in. He has a smile that just goes away really quick, so I'm not sure whether or not he's happy to see me or not.
Speaker 2: But we're back here again, Dave. Yeah, here we are again, Dave.
Speaker 3: And I think you have that effect on people, man. But no, in all seriousness, I've had a great day. Got a chance earlier today to celebrate oral Hollywood Walk of Fame. He got his star and obviously with what he did with the Dodgers and then now as a broadcaster, so it was great to celebrate him.
Speaker 1: What was it like again for you to be out there this morning on Hollywood and Highland celebrating one of the Dodger icons, but you being the great ambassador for this team.
Speaker 3: Well it's quite the honor. And there was a great turnout and there were a guy from the eighty eight team Miggey Rowe was there from a current team, and obviously front office. Stan Castle was there and just family friends. Bob Costas was a master's ceremonies. Joe Davis spoke, Clayton spoke, I spoke, Jimi Harden spoke, and it was great. And I think is what you said, it's Dodger lore. It's a legacy, you know what we're a part of every day. It runs deep and the late great time of the Sword, I think was looking down with a smile.
Speaker 2: No doubt.
Speaker 1: I was watching a special on you backstage Dodgers, celebrating your managerial career with the Dodgers over one thousand wins now and at your introductory press conference, you were looking at the trophy case at Dodger Stadium. When you took over, there was only a couple of trophies in that case. Since you took over, there's three more. Does that ever hit you that you've added three championships and counting to this organization?
Speaker 3: You know, when you present it that way, it certainly does. And it's not to be taken for granted, but I think when you're in it, you're always wanting for more. But I do remember that press conference and that introductory press conference, and you know, that's our north Star, that's my north Star, that's everyone in this organization. The fan base is north star to continue to accrue championships. And Los Angeles is a city of champions and so you know, anything less than a championship is unacceptable. And so I think for me, yeah, you take moments to kind of celebrate the wins. But you know, as we're here in the middle of twenty twenty six in August, we got us against the Brewers in a four games series. So honestly, my focus is game tonight.
Speaker 1: You always try to tell me to temper the excitement over a series like this, but as we get closer to the end of the year, there's still a fight for the top three seeds in the National League. So going up against the Brewers four games series, Am I making too much out of the importance or excitement of this series?
Speaker 3: I think yes, But and I say that with all due respect in the sense of yes, it's gonna be a fun series, it gonna be a great series, but it's not the end all be all either way, whatever result happens. As we've learned throughout the regular season, doesn't really have a correlation to the postseason. But yeah, from a media, fan, player perspective, coaching perspective, this can be a fun series. Yeah.
Speaker 1: I remember last year the Brewers beat you all seven times in the regular season, and you guys swept them in the postseason. So is that also a tricky mind trap for your players to know what happened last year?
Speaker 2: And I don't know.
Speaker 1: It seems like you guys overcame so much last year. Does that sometimes work against the urgency you were talking about.
Speaker 3: Well, we certainly have urgency again, which I'm happy to see. And I think that it's one of those things where this year is different than last year. The Brewers are an even better team, They're a hungrier team, and I think for me from a leadership standpoint, is to make guys recognize that this is a different year and it's going to be a different way to go about it. We still got to play good baseball and you know, keep our focus keen and heightened and sharp. But like I said, you still got to go play baseball. And I do like the way in this Kansas City Series. I think that the fans could see our focus heightened, a sense of urgency and even the way I manage, you know, pinch hitting at times where I normally wouldn't do, making some pitching change that I probably wouldn't do because I got to kind of mirror that urgency I'm talking about.
Speaker 1: Yeah, do you feel like you set the tone by the way you manage those type of games?
Speaker 3: I think so, you know, because I think that there's a point, and I mentioned this a few days ago, is that I've seen enough of a sample in the players what they can what they can't do. And now it's not the playoffs, but I do think that it's healthy for us to get of that mind and it only makes you play better.
Speaker 1: All Right, I got to ask you, since we always have this blank canvas every week, we have time to dive into some topics that are out there, and the manager's meeting is presented by Downy Hyundai. There's been a lot of talk about the ABS, and I feel like it's been misrepresented. You guys do have a plan. You've explained it, Aaron Bates, have explained your strategy. But when it comes to a player like Andy Paz who seems to get a little emotional in those moments, how do you rain him in. Is there a conversation that says, you know what, Andy, maybe you're not going to be allowed to challenge.
Speaker 3: I think that's fair and we all see it, and it is an emotional decision by Andy in that moment in and at bat. We've talked, you know, at length to all of our players about the leverage and when you should do it when you don't. You know, every at bat is important, but there's still a risk and a cost for a challenge, and so I think that right now we're going to kind of put the challenges from him on the back burner and do the work in the sense of after games go through, what he thought could have been a strike could have been a ball was closed, and so he can kind of recalibrate on the strike zone. But and he's had a great year offensively, defensively, and he's a young player who's still getting better each time out. But this is a learning curve for him that we as the coaches, got to do a better job and kind of educating him more.
Speaker 1: How pivotal is the ABS going to be in October?
Speaker 3: It's going to be very pivotal, and you got to really lock it in because what you don't want is something like that, an irresponsible emotional challenge or non challenge in a leverage spot to cost your game. And so I do think that it's great because it's made umpires better and kind of you know, no one wants to be embarrass when you miss a ball by you know, a ball strike called by two and a half inches. You know everyone sees it. That doesn't feel good for them. So I think in general it's made them better and ultimately, players, coaches, fans want to get the call right and then it kind of goes into the strategy on when you use those challenges. But you know, this gear is going to be different than any other year as far as the ABS. So we just got to be really locked in on our process when we get to the postseason.
Speaker 1: Can you set the record straight, Is it your preference to have both challenges in the last three innings for your catcher and your pitcher or is it for the hitters in pivotal situations?
Speaker 3: Yeah, you know what, I just don't think it's hard and fast. I think that you know, you can win or lose a game in the first inning, you know, bases loaded three to two and there's a borderline pitch that's called and you know, if you're really certain that it was a ball, but it was called to strike, I think it's worthy of a challenge. So it's hard to kind of put players in that corner. But again, you really got to make sure that you know the squeeze is worth it.
Speaker 1: I'm going to put a smile on Dave Robert's face because we're going to back out of here pretty soon. One final question, you talk about the tone. What's Freddie Freeman doing as far as setting the tone playing tonight after the way he went down those steps.
Speaker 3: Well, you know, he is a consummate professional. He loves to post. He's a guy that plays every day and I just love it. I love him because he understands that his job is to be out there every day for the Dodgers and earn his keep right with his contract. So, yeah, we dodged a big one yesterday. From my vantash point, you see him, then you don't. And so there's a lot of things while I was holding my breath running across the field that went through my mind, and I think that we came out of it in the best possible scenario, in the sense that he has some overall body soreness, but nothing further than that, so he'll be in there today. Gave me a text today and said he's ready to go, but he'll be down tomorrow. But yeah, you know a guy like that, he plays hurt all the time, so.
Speaker 2: He texts you before you could text him. That's right. Yeah, well a truth be told.
Speaker 3: I did say, hey, man, when you wake up and you make sure you're in one piece, let me know if you can go or not.
Speaker 2: All right, Dave, thanks a lot for the time.
Speaker 1: I always enjoy spending this time with you every week, and it's great to dive into some of these things that fans need a little clarity on.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 2: Absolutely, Dave.
Speaker 3: Always fun catching up with you, and I do love this chat, this conversation, so it kind of gives, you know, fans a little peek behind the curtain on some of my perspectives.
Speaker 1: Hey, the bling behind Dave Roberts is blinding when we do these interviews because he's been a winner ever since he was playing in center field, and he's carried that forward as the manager.