Speaker 1: How's the stream stream commencing broadcasting on a M five to seventy l A Sports and streaming on the iHeartRadio while it's.
Speaker 2: The longest running afternoon sports show in the city.
Speaker 3: No congratulations necessary.
Speaker 1: All traces of Fred Rogan have been removed. This is Petros in Money, Thank You, Thank You, hosted by Petros Papadakas terrible person, He's the worst and Matt money Smith.
Speaker 3: The pipes, the pipes, the pipe.
Speaker 4: Don't miss an episode.
Speaker 2: We're with you.
Speaker 1: Yeah, follow the Petros in Money Show wherever you get your podcasts now Here's Petros Papadacus and Matt money Smith and you'll feel Mike, Yes.
Speaker 3: You ask for too much.
Speaker 4: What you want? What you want? I wait a long time for this.
Speaker 5: Petro Some Money A and five to seventy LA Sports were live everywhere on the iHeartRadio app. Full four hour show today and tomorrow. As you're home of the World Series champion Dodgers, who not pick up the divisional round until Saturday. Game one, show hailed Pawnee from the Galpin Motors broadcast booth six or six thirty PM.
Speaker 2: Right around there.
Speaker 5: You'll get Dodgers on deck an hour before as the Dodgers try to defend their World Series championship against the one team that many say could be the largest obstacle on their path to the first repeat in a quarter century in the Major League.
Speaker 3: Wow, and they've lost to a lot of teams that are worse than that.
Speaker 2: True.
Speaker 3: In the postseason, we'll see what happens. You heard from Spilly He was not as confident as far as what we saw last night carrying.
Speaker 2: Over Destiny fuly team of Destiny.
Speaker 3: Yeah, and you talked about the fan ass and he basically told you, yeah, save that for after the game.
Speaker 2: Hey, maybe it's fantas yet, is okay?
Speaker 3: Well, the decks will be cleared on Sunday, so the Chargers will take on the Washington Commanders kick off at one twenty five. Matt will be here in La at one twenty five on kf I AM six forty with Shannon and Daniel Jeremiah. And we are happy that the Dodgers are moving on. Scam is moving on. There's gonna be another seriess doers ooops dolliers. Our boss is gonna make some money. There's a way to get Scam on the app on the Clipper streaming side. Why does Dan Patrick need that much help?
Speaker 5: Well, I think he swings a big stick pee, you know, and perhaps somebody, look, you got scam or you got DP. What are you gonna do in LA? It's not even close? Right, someone gets a little sensitive.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I mean sorry that people are excited about the Dodgers for excuse us for living geez. Well, anyway, it is time for the final hour. Fun fast the fact.
Speaker 2: It's the yeah we're three fans.
Speaker 5: Yeah fun fact brought to you by Concordia University of ir of Van's Masters in Coaching and Athletics Administration Program. It's fact over five thousand coaches and administrators have graduated from their master's program. Find out more at CUI at edu slash coaching. Did you know in the nineteen forties the Phillies like almost and actually did sort of change their name to the Blue Jays. Interesting a fan contest was held to find a new nickname because the team was so terrible, had spent literal decades of losing, were a punchline to all the other Major League Baseball clubs. So missus Elizabeth Crooks submitted the name blue Jays, the team designed and actually used and had a blue Jay patch on their uniform for two seasons, but the uniform still said Phillies on the front. So while they were sort of the blue Jays, they weren't the blue Jays. And then they ended up winning the Pennan in nineteen fifty they did the blue Jay and leaned into the Phillies fully once again.
Speaker 3: It's interesting. Yesterday when we were walking around the stadium, I noticed and remembered that at the turn of the last century, the Brooklyn Dodgers were named the Brooklyn Superbus, which is a pretty interesting name.
Speaker 2: I kind of like it better than the Dodgers.
Speaker 3: Oh come, man, the Superbas no hats and the Superbus. It is superb. How good are you? We're not good. See we're superb, that's how good. I was like, who the hell are the Superbus? I know they had the B on the hat, but the name of the team was the the Superbas.
Speaker 2: Or the in cred Ables in cray able.
Speaker 3: All right, it is time for criicckets. Everybody coming this crickets.
Speaker 2: Come make it quick, y'all.
Speaker 3: Oh yeah, last night a very special night in the city. And to see you DoD Dodgers and Phillies in the NLDS Game one Sunday in the city of brotherly loved Lawyers. One of the greatest baseball players that any of us have ever seen. In fact, he is the greatest baseball player any of us have ever seen. It's hard not to take it for granted. Show Al Toddy, we'll be on the mound in the series opener. Here is Dave Roberts after the win versus the Reds last night, very happy while they were partying in the batting cages, not in the clubhouse area.
Speaker 6: You know, guys stayed positive, stayed within in themselves, kept taking good at bats, and you know, Yoshi stepped up, you know, once again, and Addison pitches that first inning, but you know he was locked in and for him to get us into the seventh was huge, and us tack on offensively, defensively, we're playing great, and you know it's good to see Rookie finish that game too.
Speaker 7: Is Rokie your closer now?
Speaker 3: Yeah?
Speaker 6: I trust and he's gonna be pitching and leverage. So that was you know, the more you pitch guys and play guys, you learn more. So like I said about Yamamoto, I don't think the moment's going to be too big for rookie.
Speaker 8: I mean every year is different. But how far do you think this team can go? And would you like to get back to the World Series and play the Yankees again?
Speaker 6: I think we can. We can win it all. I think we're equipped to do that. We certainly have the pedigree, we certainly have the hunger. We're playing great baseball, and in all honesty, I don't care who we play, I just want to, you know, be the last team standing.
Speaker 7: Just what have you seen out of the offense the last couple of nights to kind of keep piling on runs, finding different ways to score like they did kind of in and then the later innings today.
Speaker 6: I think that what we're seeing is, you know, winning pitches, using the whole field, fighting and you know, not trying to just slug. I think we're taking team at bats, situation Situationally, we've been fantastic and even roared at the bottom. You know, whether it's a sacrifice, the fight to slap an O two double to the other way to get on base. You know, we're just doing things, whether it's a sack fly, we're doing whatever it takes. Even show hey in the situation getting a guy over to allow set the stage for Mookie. So just team baseball, team at.
Speaker 7: Bets and then in that eighth inning, just kind of what were you seeing at an Emmett, What prompted you to kind of make the move there, and kind of how do you view him going forward after this?
Speaker 6: You know, I just yeah, I mean, I still I trust him. It was his first kind of real cracket kind of late leverage. He wasn't sharp, but I believe in him, I really do. And I think for me, is you know, to think that he can get through Benson although he had count leverage, to then feel like he can get through mcclaim, he would have been over thirty pitches, and I just didn't think the stuff was a sharp And so for me, I just kind of had a gut feeling that, you know, give Vessie a chance to get count leverage versus Andrew Hall or if they leave Benson in And I liked him against McClean and then Freedom, So that's kind of my thought. And you know, but Emmatt did a fine job. It's just kind of just it just wasn't sharp tonight.
Speaker 9: Mookie's turn around this year has just been kind of insane. Can you just kind of talk about what kind of player he is to have that start and then now come through like he always has and be one of the best players in the world.
Speaker 6: I think it started when he just kind of just gave up on chasing, you know, having a career year, you know, chasing an MVP or whatever it was. I think he just kind of was resolved to just let that go, play for the present and the future and play to help the team win. And I think that just took a little bit a lot of pressure off him, and then everything kind of unveiled and he got to be the player that he was and freed himself up. And so, yeah, he's playing fantastic baseball.
Speaker 5: That's a good amount of stuff, meaty, but full of great information.
Speaker 3: We need to have it. We need to get everybody ready for the Dodgers. JJ Reddick, says Lebron Jays Terryo Marcus Smarts. Kleeber will not play in the Laker preseason game tomorrow versus the Suns in Palm Desert.
Speaker 5: The hell I bought my great grandparents tickets to that.
Speaker 3: They will still see the premier player for your Los Angeles Lakers and the franchise player, which is Luka Doncic, face of the league.
Speaker 2: According to DeAndre Ayton.
Speaker 3: Could end up being a point of contention for a jealous and petty Lebron James and Lebron James camp.
Speaker 2: We can only hope.
Speaker 10: I know Lebron's battling a glute injury, but if I'm Genie, I can't be happy that we're going on this tour around Southern California Vegas, doing the whole preseason thing, putting the Lakers out there on display, and Lebron's gonna be riding the bench with the sun.
Speaker 3: Well, his son might pleasure.
Speaker 5: It's probably gonna play a lot, oh boy, And I would wonder, as he has shared on multiple podcasts and with multiple interviews, on multiple interviews, now is he going to be out there swinging the club in Palm Desert? Is it going to be trying to get out, you know, on one of those fancy courses all the Lakha or something of the Madison Club, one of those fancy.
Speaker 2: Morning side exclusive spots.
Speaker 5: Not good enough to play in an exhibition game for three minutes, but good enough the cruise around in play eighteen.
Speaker 3: Well, we'll see what happens with the Laker preseason tomorrow.
Speaker 11: In the desert, people said, if you ever get into the game and the Bob grab you is over it, Bud grab me. I definitely have it, man.
Speaker 3: I started.
Speaker 11: I literally started playing in July for the first time in my life, and I love everything about it. I think the best thing that I've gotten out of it, besides like the how competitive and hard it is and the mental challenge, which I love. Anything that's mentally challenging, I love. Well, how just you just get away from the world. You out there on the green, no phones, no phone. My phone stays in the cart the whole time. I check it from time to time. But it's just like I play my music. I'm out there with my guys, you out there and just in the world, and I can lose my mind into the game of golf.
Speaker 4: Media can't find you, Lebron.
Speaker 11: No, they can't find me. We gotta get it updated.
Speaker 4: Media can't find you, Lebron.
Speaker 3: That's worse than any of them. Golf.
Speaker 4: Media can't find you, Lebron.
Speaker 3: Oh, it's so good.
Speaker 4: Media can't find you. The media can't find you, Lebron.
Speaker 3: Lebron is the one that wants to find the media. Lebron's the one that puts out the workout videos and says all the stupid stuff.
Speaker 4: Media can't find you, Lebron.
Speaker 3: Geeter, guess who's in the media. Geter, Media can't find you, Lebron. The first number twenty four jersey worn by Kobe Bryant with the Lakers recently sold for eight and eighty nine thousand, including a buyer's premium at Sotheby's. Kolbe wore the jersey while posting twenty three points on one hundred and eighteen one hundred and twelve victory over the SuperSonics of all teams. How about that on November third, two thousand and six. It's autographed too, So it's not just the jersey you're gain it's an autograph from Kobe.
Speaker 5: It is the game warn So that's how you get to nine hundred thousand dollars.
Speaker 3: Nine hundred though Thursday night game at Sulfi Tonight, Rams taking on the forty nine Ers. But what about the Chargers.
Speaker 2: Home game Sunday.
Speaker 5: After the loss to the Giants, they continue their tour of the NFC East. Jaden Daniels full participant in practice after missing the previous two. He'll be out there for the commanders, and that means our Jim Harbaugh presser delivered by Valbelen Instant Oil Changes here home with a fifteen minute drive through oil Change. Stay in your car service while you wait find the Valbylen Instant oil change near you. That's so cal oil change dot com.
Speaker 8: You want to learn from it and and grow and move forward and in a lot of areas that uh, that's where we we feel like we come out of that game, you know, chasing perfection and so continue to do that.
Speaker 1: What the big chapel threat or back.
Speaker 8: Uh, he's a great player. He's he's and all all facets of of quarterback play, you know, really really really good dual threat or uh just great really good threat.
Speaker 7: Yeah, that's a twenty Memphis is both for herb to improve in terms of his speed and just his ability to get out.
Speaker 8: There's nothing there in terms of he's always had that talent. He's he's very athletic, and it impacts the game in a positive way for us.
Speaker 3: What can you say about his performance on Sunday being of course Sacks developing.
Speaker 8: Yeah, spectacular, Uh, the way he impacted the game and and just really really good, really consistent, you know, the four sacks, the pressures, the the way he impacted the game. Probably unfortunately got a little lost, you know, uh because we didn't win the game. But yeah, he was he was somebody that was, uh, you know, played really well.
Speaker 3: A little bit of an understated Jim Harbaugh. This week gonna be a great quarterback matchup. USC has a bye week, u c l A home on Saturday versus Penn State Nitney lyons Or only a twenty five and a half point favorite. Uh, that line might move though, now that the blueout has been announced.
Speaker 2: Could could go up the twenty seven and a half.
Speaker 3: I thought it would go the other way. But now this is what we had Don McClain on to talk about, and he's gonna come on in the next segment the NCUBLEA Tournament.
Speaker 12: Matt.
Speaker 5: Yeah, they have talked about expansion and it sounds like now it's gonna happen. It's not finalized, but the proposed format with the television partners is to expand from sixty eight to seventy six eight games expected, and they will add it to what is known as the First four. It'll become the First eight set of four games featuring the four lowest seeded automatic qualifiers and the last four at large teams in the NCAA tournament field. The new first twelve, actually they're going to add eight, would be referred to as the opening round, So you get twenty four teams playing in twelve games over the first two days. They would take place at two different sites, but a way to get out of what's really some pretty ho hum matchups in the first four might have one or two good ones in there to what could be a full on, full fledged get to Vegas a day early first round of the tournament.
Speaker 3: So we'll see how that plays out. And we haven't talked hockey well in weeks, maybe months, but here we are. Thanks for talking to hockey.
Speaker 5: The Anaheim Ducks have extended Jackson Lacon keep part of their rebuilding team and a long term contract extension Lacombe Lacombie Lacon twenty four sogn an eight year deal, however you pronounce his name, carries a nine million dollar average annual day that would sugest he's one of the best players in the league. It is the largest contract ever given out by the Anaheim Ducks.
Speaker 3: Congratulations to the Ducks. Maybe inspired by the Organ Ducks and the amount of money that they spend.
Speaker 2: That's fair.
Speaker 3: Probably not who.
Speaker 10: Think spends more money? That's a great question. The Anaheim Ducks Are the Oregon Ducks the Organ Ducks?
Speaker 3: Yeah, you think so, though, No, I don't know. I mean, well, the Organ how much they spend in nil is not officially disclosed, so it's kind of hard to tell.
Speaker 5: The Anaheim Ducks in twenty twenty. No, it is definitely the Anaheim Ducks. They are going to spend eighty two million dollars on players for the twenty five to twenty six season. Do you think they would spend eighty two million bucks on players at Oregon?
Speaker 2: Yes, all right, maybe it's the Organ Duck.
Speaker 3: But I don't know. I don't know for sure. When I found out how much the long snapper made at Michigan State, my head almost rolled off my shoulder.
Speaker 2: He's a hell of a launch snapper though.
Speaker 3: Yeah, but still, you know, guys did that for free for years, not anymore. You're right. We'll be right back with Don McClain on the new tournament expansion in the beginning of the Clipper season and the Lakers season and the NBA right here on AM FI seventy LA Sports your home of the Dodgers, starting out on Saturday against the Phillies.
Speaker 1: We've made it even easier to take LA Sports with you this summer. Make AM five to seventy or your favorite AM five seventy LA Sports podcast, a preset on the iHeartRadio using Apple CarPlay or Android Autumn road Trip all summer with LA Sports.
Speaker 5: Hum of the Dodgers, your World Series champion Dodgers advanced to the Divisional Round. First game against the Phillies on Saturday. We'll have Charger Football against the Commanders. That's the big one. Tom Brady and Kevin Burcott on the call one twenty five pm kick. We will be on the call though, Daniel, Jeremiah, Shannon far and Me at KFI AM six forty for the Chargers Commanders on Sunday.
Speaker 3: It's time to talk to our bff, the one and only Don McLain. He was here last Friday, did a great job filling in like he always does. Basketball is getting fired up, and there is news in the NCAA as well, not just Clippers and Lakers and everybody else getting started. He is the leading scorer in the history of the Pac twelve. You see him on the Big Ten Network at FS one. He also works at CAA. There is only one Don McClain. The next ass he kisses will be the first. The baron of Box Canyon, a decorated NBA player and once again the best friend of the Petros. Somebody show on He're Southern California Toyota Dealer celebrity hotline. What's cracking? Don? How are you here?
Speaker 12: We go with the Thursdays again?
Speaker 3: Tomorrow, We're sorry dog Tomorrow, we needed you today. Tomorrow is a Baseball Net prep.
Speaker 12: Yeah, I know, and I wonder. I'm wondering Pee and you and I talked about it off the ear if people have noticed that you've forgot not for good, but not including one of the top as I used to have. And I guess we should address it now that I'm no longer doing the Clipper shows. Unfortunately contract was renewed, and yes they're moving in a different direction. But I just want to say, you know, I work with so many great people on that show. I did it for over twenty years, starting with half John Heffner, who all your listeners know, Micah King and those guys in the front office, if you will, but a lot of camera people, people on air that I worked with, a lot of people behind the scenes. We did really good work for a long time. And as you guys know, the business is changing, and the Clipper shows have changed hands a couple of times already, and so not surprising that they're going in a different direction. But I just wanted to make sure that I thanked all those people that I work with for so long, especially Darryl Lewis, who produced that show for almost as long as I was on it. Did a great job and still continues to do a great job on angels and other stuff he does. But yeah, we're moving on. I won't miss the drive, but I'll miss a lot of the people.
Speaker 3: Yeah, well, out of yeah, I was going to say that drive down the one A line.
Speaker 5: It was one of the reasons to watch. It was really the main reason to watch Clipper basketball.
Speaker 3: Yeah, to watch Don McClain and his insights before and middle and after the game, and especially back when there was different left leadership and Don used to do the fourth quarter or do a different quarter with Ralph Lawler. A lot of stuff. What is your I mean, we're going to continue to talk and ask about the Clippers and the Lakers and all that here on the show. But what what, what do you think is the most impactful thing you'll remember about working there, working with all these different people, ownership changes, the whole crazy Donald Sterling story.
Speaker 12: You know, I've thought about it, Pee, and I think that that that one sticks out the most, was the ownership change in that whole ordeal with Donald Sterling and what happened and led to him being bounced out of the NBA and Steve Baldmer coming in. I think I'll remember that the most. I feel like those were you know we used to goof around a lot on that show in the early day, is because the Clippers weren't very good, and so yeah, we used to have free reign to do whatever we want. And it seemed like once Steve Balmer got involved, he got serious because he was spending money and bringing in good players, and they had Chris Paul and Lob City and all that stuff, and so it turned into more of a real basketball show at that point. But it doesn't mean it was better or worse. It just meant that it was more serious because the Clippers were contenders. Unfortunately they haven't gotten over the hump all these years, but it looks like they have a chance this year. But yeah, I remember a lot of that stuff, you know, from the playoff games and uh it. But really that that's the one time that really stands out if I think back over twenty years.
Speaker 5: So it's an interesting moment for them, don And you know, you're I don't know how this thing is going to get resolved. If it's going to get resolved, they don't want to talk about it. Uh Yet everybody continues to ask the questions. Do you think the league will come out and make some sort of definitive statement. Do you think they'll try to just ignore it and hope it goes away? Ultimately? How do you think it ends with the Clippers and Kawhi? And this Pablo Tory is not given up. Man, He's now tying charity checks of one point eight million to the Sandberg guy who ran the company's charity fund that tied directly to Kuhi. Like it's getting gnarly now.
Speaker 12: It is, Matt, But I just have this weird feeling that it just goes away. I mean, maybe there's enough evidence that Adam Silver gets put in the bind and he's got to come down with some with some punishment. But here's what I wonder, and we don't know because no one's really spoke on except for Cuban, but he's not an owner anymore. Is Adam Silver getting pressure from the other teams? That's the question, you know, is he getting pressure from all these teams? Say, wait a second, if they circumvented the cap, there has to be punishment or else we're going to do it. So that's the hard part in all this is what are all the other teams thinking and saying to the NBA in Adam Silver, Like you, there's enough evidence out there that you have to punish him. But we'll see what happens.
Speaker 3: Maybe Steve Bomber gives them somebody too.
Speaker 2: That would work.
Speaker 5: He's got enough of it, you know, maybe he could give the WNBA some money and then that way, you know, it's just kind of this three way deal.
Speaker 12: That works out exactly exactly.
Speaker 5: We were playing some sound from Laker Media Day last week. I don't know it was earlier this week. Actually it was DeAndre Ayton and he was talking about I don't know if you were listening to the show at the time, but the clip was basically ate and talking about the offense, and he said, well, you know, it's a two man games, it's me and Luca, And then he talked about how they were in the same draft and how lucas the face of the league and how his job is to make it easy for Luca. Do you think there's any that there could be any issue with Lebron and his Maxi Kleeber then came in and gave that same sort of thing and tried to circle back and bring up Lebron as well. Do you think that in his twenty third season, Lebron is the kind of person that would say, yeah, I'm forty years old, it's you know, this the guy? Or do you think that could be an issue for the Lakers.
Speaker 12: I don't think he's the kind of I don't think he's at the point in his career. Matt Well he'll come out and say anything. The question is in the locker room what's being said. But I do think this. I think Lebron, I mean, twenty three years is incredible for any guy in any sport to still be playing. I think what Lebron really wants and he's a smart guy what he wants is this to transition into Lucas team, but he wants to win going out. And I do think for all the and I've said this, and you guys have said it for years, how polarizing Lebron is. But I do think that, you know, listening to him all these years, I do, I would bet that that is his stance that, look, yeah, I'm not the main guy, Luca is, but let's win this thing before I retire. That has to be kind of his stance on all this.
Speaker 3: You've mentioned it, don don McLean joining us right now on Petrosen money. The Clippers do look pretty good, like that do all the time going into the season. We talk about the Lakers at nauseum. Everybody does which team looks better going into the season right now?
Speaker 12: I think the Clippers are, assuming everyone's healthy and ready to go. They're so deep. But what they did in the offseason with Beal and Brook, Lopez and John Collins, I mean they are deep one through fifteen pretty much, and so we know things go wrong. We know guys get hurt, we know guys' rest, we know all that. And if you have a really deep team, your margin for air becomes much bigger. And I just think the Clippers have a really big margin for air with the roster that they built in the improvement Zuba about how the good he's gotten hardened kind of not resurrected, but had a monster year last year, and so I just think they got all the pieces. But the biggest thing to me is the depth that they have across the board.
Speaker 5: The it's not depth, but it's I guess it's a collection of either a past accomplishments. Right with the Lakers when because to me I look at it, I'm like, yeah, that they really needed Marcus Smart. So is Marcus Smart still the player that I think he is done a former Defensive Player of the Year because they need that so desperately since nobody else is playing any defense on the perimeter. And I mean, like we talked about before when they signed eight and I was like, man, I remember that Ayton and that can be really good if he gets his head on right. Yeah, more likely or less likely that those are the guys we are going to see.
Speaker 3: See.
Speaker 12: Here's the thing, man, there's guys that are good defenders that aren't talked about as being really good defenders. Why because they're in a culture of non defense. And I'm not saying that's the Lakers right now, but my point is if your culture across the board in that locker room, starting with the head coach, is we are going to guard. We're going to be a good defensive team, then you get the best out of guys on the defensive end, even guys that aren't known as good defenders. If everyone else is guarding and you're the only one that isn't, well, either you're not going to play or you're going to really guard. And so I think it's important for JJ Reddick to set the tone that, look, we got enough offense with all these guys, we have to be really good defensively. And if that's the case, I think a guy like Marcus Smart could raise back to the level that he was at at one point as a defender.
Speaker 5: Don McLain with us see believe it or not. While we are in the midst of the Dodgers march to a World Series championship, basketball is back. The Lakers are doing their standard barnstorming tour the Desert Vegas, Santa Barbara, all that sort of thing. The Clippers will get going in about a week. Is it the usual. Is it the Celtics in the East, Is it the Thunder in the West, or do you think it's a little more wide open and it's not that similar.
Speaker 12: I think the East is wide open. I mean wide open because no Jason Tatum, he's saying it may come back this year, but it ain't going to be like before the All Star Break. I wouldn't imagine. So I think Cleveland's got a really good chance. I think Orlando improved themselves this offseason. The West is hard. I mean you have to say that the thunder of the Favorite, but like the Clippers got better, the Lakers got better, teams have gotten better, the Warriors even got better. And so yes, yes, the Thunder of the Favorite right now. But I think the West is going to be incredibly competitive, and I wouldn't be surprised if it wasn't the Thunder the number one seed in the West.
Speaker 3: Down by the time you stop calling college basketball games, the tournament's going to have more teams than are playing in Division One. They're expanding the tournament. It looks like they're talking about expanding the tournament even more. I don't know if these neutral site arenas are going to attract fans for you know, the fortieth seed. But what do you make I mean, obviously there's money to be made with postseason college sports. We see it with the football playoff, and the tournament is a huge money maker. But is this watering it down too much?
Speaker 12: Well, you just said it.
Speaker 2: Pee.
Speaker 12: They don't care. They don't care if it waters it down or not. They're going to make money off the TV deal. Even if ten people show up to these regional sites, they're still getting the TV money and that's all they care about. And so it's unfortunate that that's what it's come to in all of college sports, that we don't care what the product really is as long as we can make more money. But the tournament as perfect as it is. You know, I think that the first four in games are fine, but now you're stretching it to even more of those.
Speaker 3: A separate tournament for the tournament.
Speaker 12: Yeah, yeah, like it doesn't make any sense. We all know why they're doing it, but you know, what's the fallout? Are people not going to watch it? Probably not? So why not we go ahead and do it? Make more TV money?
Speaker 2: Yeah?
Speaker 5: I think you know, the way that it's being described is that it would be twelve games, Like the opening round isn't four, it's twelve. So it's a full on two day, six games a day, And I guess the one is I'm trying to sort. I don't know if you want to call it putting lipstick on a pig or glasses half full. I do feel don and I don't know if you would agree. I feel like college basketball is better. You know, the money that these guys are getting paid. Some guys are staying back. It feels like we got more teams that are a little bit better. I really thought the tournament was incredibly compelling this last year. Do you think that's fair, Like, hey, maybe more games because I feel like it's a better product than we had when these guys were all one and done and it was.
Speaker 12: Just but this is like an hour conversation mat you know what I mean. It's like there's so many different angles and ways to look at it. Is it better that college basketball players are making over a million dollars a year? Some would say yes, some would say no. I do think you're right in the sense that it's more competitive. Teams are better because you're playing with twenty two and twenty three year olds. You're not playing with eighteen year olds. So their experience, of matter how many schools they've already been at, they understand college basketball because been in it for four or five years, and so that seems like it's going to continue. They're talking about having this new five years no matter what. So you don't have to have a grad year. There's no more COVID year. So now if you get five years, like, everybody's going to be old, especial if you're making money. And so I think from that, just what you said, Matt, that standpoint, I think the product is better because you have guys that have been in college for longer.
Speaker 3: Great stuff. The product's always better when Don McClain joins the show, especially on a Thursday. True, well, I don't know if it feels that way. Don enjoy the playoffs and we'll talk next week. Thanks a lot for doing it, Okay, guys, classy stuff on the Clippers too.
Speaker 2: Indeed, you know me, I wouldn't have been classy. I'd have been petty.
Speaker 3: That's true.
Speaker 2: That's a true statement.
Speaker 3: I haven't handled the challenge thing that well.
Speaker 5: Yeah, I would have thought you'd have been a little more gracious they are celebrating twenty years.
Speaker 3: You know, yeah, where's my where's my gratitude?
Speaker 2: Just to ask Mario, He'll tell you.
Speaker 3: We'll be right back. Patro some money on M five seventy LA Sports.
Speaker 1: Hello, PMS listener. Did you know AM five seventy LA Sports has a wide range of LA sports podcasts. There's Rogan and.
Speaker 4: Rodney, That one is my favorite, Dodger Talk with David Vasse, the Dodger Podcast of Record.
Speaker 2: Clipper Talk without a Musk, follow us all and many more.
Speaker 1: Just go to AM five seventy LA Sports on the iHeartRadio app.
Speaker 3: Mercifully coming to an end is the Petros and Money Show, a four hour show, a lot of fun. Great to talk to Spilly, great to talk to Don McClain by scam coming up in the morning at six a m. You can stream it on the Clippers I heeart app that that was some very interesting pushback that we received yesterday. And the pushback was he.
Speaker 5: Ill can see well, I think, uh, you know, you have a David Vass that's wagging his thing in our face for a while. You're catching strays on that front, and uh, you have a Dodger victory everybody's feeling pretty good. I think it opens the door for some dragon of the d across the dirt.
Speaker 3: Let me walk in like a rooster. I am styling seven innings, nine strikeouts, winning game one. Whoo whoo. It really was, yeah and amazing.
Speaker 5: He took a he took a soda bottle level stream to the face from Blake trying.
Speaker 3: Oh, it was unbelievable.
Speaker 2: I mean, it was a fire rose of shame.
Speaker 3: We're playing it on spots on Sports Center.
Speaker 5: It was so it was a fire hose of champagne to his face from trying, and it's definitely warning.
Speaker 2: I mean it was like we truly was.
Speaker 5: We've discussed it like it was like watching a woody woodpecker or bugs Bunny show where this.
Speaker 3: What he said when he did it. There's your exclusive time.
Speaker 2: Say explain.
Speaker 3: You know a lot of frustration and that bullpen matters. So what a great day for the Dodgers yesterday. We'll have four hours again tomorrow that starts at three o'clock and the series begins on Saturday. But don't forget scam tomorrow at six a m. Tim Kates and Steve Sacks getting you ready with a cheese steak taste test or some kind of Philly Philly accent comparison.
Speaker 2: That's a good.
Speaker 5: One, like a Rocky impersonation.
Speaker 3: But right now it is time for the Dead Guy Birthday.
Speaker 5: That Dead Guy pe one of the better ones. Jack Parsons happy would have been one hundred and eleventh to the and we've done him before, but god, I love the story. American rocket scientist, inventor, occultist. Parsons born, raised, died in Los Angeles. He was born Marvel white Side Parsons, but he went by Jack. I should have done that. I always wanted to be a Jack. I don't know how you get Jack out of Marvel or white Side, but he did. From a young age, he was way into science fiction and space and the idea of traveling to space, and he wanted to build rockets that could reach the stars. And remember, back then it's pre Space Program, nineteen twenties, nineteen thirties, it was a foolish thought that rockets were anything more than a fantasy. But nineteen thirties Jack Parsons began building and testing rocket engines with a couple pals in Pasadena, like in a field, testing a rocket, launching it to the skies, just a couple of dudes. He never earned a college degree. His skills, though, in chemistry and explosives made him and earned him entry into the scientist community, where he was very respected. He was the co founder of the Jet Propulsion Laboratory, which we obviously know, well, we got some listeners in there, just there.
Speaker 3: In a flint Ridge locket Yatamas.
Speaker 5: Now JPL of course still and later would help build rockets for NASA. He also helped start a company called Aerojet, which made rocket engines for the US military. So despite the lack of education, this dude knew what he was doing. Parsons made a lot of important discoveries in rocket science. His work basically laid the foundation for the space race and future space exploration.
Speaker 2: But a big butt well what happened.
Speaker 5: Not brilliant scientist, but he was also a bit rebellious and a little weird.
Speaker 3: A guy that builds rockets and is brilliant is a little rebellious and weird. Who would have guessed he had a like a guy that has a rocket that comes back to Earth and caught by two giant robot arms.
Speaker 5: A little weird. He had a deep interest in the occult. Oh yes, way into the supernatural.
Speaker 3: Is this the guy with the weird church in Silver Lake?
Speaker 5: This is our guy? Was that became close with l Ron Hubbard. That's how we know Parsons. He joined a group called the Ordo templey Orienteese the teachings of p Aleister Crowley, the famous controversial occultist. He believed that science magic and science and magic could work together. Exploring both would help people reach their full potential. And it was nineteen forty five when he meets l. Ron Hubbard, the science fiction writer. Of course, for those that don't know, I'm sure everybody does, but he's the founder of the Church of Scientology. Hubbard also interested in the occult. He and Parsons become close friends. They do magic together, series of ceremonies called Babylon Working. Parsons believe they were going to summon a powerful goddess to bring a new age into the world. This is what you're dealing with in science. Anyway, he trusted Hubbard. He entered a business deal basically gave him all of his money and sadly, his girlfriend, Sarah Northrop. They were investing in a boat selling company, but Hubbard disappeared with the loot with Sarah. It crushed Parsons emotionally, financially. Tried to sue to get his money back, couldn't and basically, even though he continued to work in rocketry and magic, he could not find stable work. The word was out that he was a weird ho hanging out with Hubbard into the occult, and the government, of course at that time, suspicious of people for anything, let alone people that were into the occult. He died in fifty two at thirty seven years old, when his laboratory or he exploded during an accident. Some though, say that Hubbard did it, and that's what some say. They say, maybe maybe Jack Parsons was murdered.
Speaker 3: Wow, what a weird story.
Speaker 5: That would have been one hundred fourteen today. But that's Jack Parsons JP of JPL, that's the dude. That is basically it's jet propulsion, but it was also Jack Parsons laboratory.
Speaker 3: Well for the Alive Guy. Singer songwriter out of Athens, Alabama, Britney Howard is only thirty seven years old. She got started pretty young as far as being an everybody's line of sight, a right tackle of a woman, half black. Family home was in a junkyard and the family home once burned down due to a lightning strike. She had an older sister that died when she was young, which is sad from retinal blastoma, but the sister taught her piano and poetry. Brittany Howard also had the disease retnal blastoma like her sister, but survived with partial blindness in one eye. She went to East Limestone High in Athens, where she met what would be the bassist for her first band, The Alabama Shaks, Zach Cockrell, and after high school, she went into the workforce, becoming a male carrier, a postman postperson.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I think you know. I think you had it, first postal.
Speaker 3: Carrier, then a full time career in music as the lead singer of Alabama Shaks. Alabama Shaks took off after playing bars and doing covers. Their first album of original stuff twenty two twelve was Boys and Girls and became an indie crossover hit, and their next album was very good, the sophomore effort, but they only have and that sounded color. Alabama Shakes only has two albums. She was in various other projects. Two solo albums. She has a band called Thunderbitch and a hardcore punk project called Kumite or Kumaite that started from earlier this year. I have not heard, yeah, a hardcore punk project. Have you heard Thunderbitch? That one's on heavy rotation in the car?
Speaker 5: I do not think I have heard that either. I do love the Alabama Shakes and.
Speaker 3: Just two albums. They haven't done anything for ten years that's been solo. She won a Grammy for Best Rock Song in twenty twenty one, a solo song. She hails from the Aisle and was married to a lady, but only for a year. It's hard to be married to an alignment.
Speaker 5: I always felt like she bears a resemblance to Rashaun Slater. He's a left tackle, so you think she's more of a right.
Speaker 3: Yeah, you like her on the right side. Her kickback is not as strongest. Big lady and a great singer. Seems like a nice person. Don't forget to wake up early and get your Dodger fixed with scam as we got Dodgers, Killy Saturday and great sports talk till then, have a great night, everybody, mon Sir,