Speaker 1: Hello. An exclusive interview with David Bassey for Dodger Talk.
Speaker 2: All right, I'm here with one of the newest Dodgers, a guy that is now doing more fun things because he's platinum blonde, getting ready to join Team Puerto Rico for the World Baseball Classic, and that is the best closer in the game, Edwin Diaz. Edwin, thanks a lot for the time. Appreciated, Thank you, thank you.
Speaker 3: I'm happy.
Speaker 1: Do we hear?
Speaker 2: Hey, first time I'm talking to you with the blonde hair?
Speaker 1: How does that feel?
Speaker 3: I feel good? For good? I have were doing that for Dolaris. So can't wait to get with the boys there. I'm playing back at home in puer Rico.
Speaker 2: Whose idea was it originally to come up with the blonde hair for Team Puerto Rico?
Speaker 3: Jaddi Molina in twenty seventeen. He want that one who started everything up.
Speaker 2: I heard that Nolan Aeronato isn't sure if he wants to go blonde.
Speaker 1: Have you talked to him?
Speaker 3: I I'm all when I got that child with to Hey, bro, I need you have blondeie?
Speaker 1: So been ready, Edwin.
Speaker 2: There is a photo that John Suho took recently on the backfield, you around show Hail Tani. Your locker is very close to him. What's it been like for you to get to know what he's all about?
Speaker 3: You know, it's we we we we'll be able to talk a little bit, you know, just knowing every everything, every all my teammates, you know, every time when when I play couches around there when he played couch and I'm around him too, So I just want to keep learning to get better.
Speaker 2: Was there some mystery around him for you? What he's all about, how he goes about his business, what kind of person he is?
Speaker 3: Just I want to know every teammate so I know how we go about his business. I see every single day. You know, he played every game, He pitched every five days, so you always ready. So I just want to see if I can learn something from him.
Speaker 2: Is there one teammate that you've kind of gravitated towards during the spring training, a new teammate that has made you feel welcome?
Speaker 3: I think everyone here made me feel welcome. You know, everyone as won I get here, they came to me, welcome me. And now what's really happy for that?
Speaker 2: Is it strange to be in a new clubhouse or do you feel like you've been able to adjust quickly.
Speaker 3: I think I'd be able to adjust quickly. You know, it's a business, so you know, I know I know how to handle everything. And I'm happy that we're here and every guy here welcome me. Like I said, I'm really good, So I'm happy to we hear.
Speaker 2: Edwin Diaz is our guest in front of first pitch, Edwin being the Dodger closer?
Speaker 1: What comes with being a closer?
Speaker 2: Is it more than just getting the last three outs or is there a leadership part of that as well?
Speaker 3: I think it's everything. You know, when they give you a gooser, Rod, you you know the last three houts again, it's in your hand, so you gotta be prepared. You gotta be ready. You know I'm always ready and I know I have to do to get the last three houts. Old. I think that's I've been so successful because I know what I have to do and I just go out there and compete.
Speaker 2: The rest of the Dodger bullpen. Do you feel like it's a part of the team that hasn't been talked about a lot.
Speaker 1: You guys have.
Speaker 2: The potential of being one of, if not the best bullpen in baseball.
Speaker 3: I think we had the chance to have the best bullpen. But we got a lot of great guys. You know, we got training, we got Scott, We got a lot of good guys. You know, they they they closed before in their career. So we got like three four clothes and in our bullpen. So that's something really good. And the day when I'm not pitching, those guy can't step on do the job.
Speaker 1: And Vessie is a pretty good guy too.
Speaker 3: Yeah, he is really good. He got a great fastball. You know I saw in the other days rocking out. What's pretty fun to see.
Speaker 1: Edward Diaz is our guest.
Speaker 2: All right, Uh, Dave Roberts is having these morning meetings. I heard he called you and Tucker up to the front in the morning. What was that like and how what did you say?
Speaker 3: You know, just say why why I choose to be a Dowyer talk? I said the same thing. So what was what's something random? And what's good? What's good doing? Everyone her what we say? And it was something nice.
Speaker 2: You may not have been born, and if you were born, you were very young. The last time somebody a team won three World Series a row. Do you feel like this group understands you have a chance at making history.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I think these no, you know, and that him puts some pieces together. God me talking. All the guys came here. So I think we got the chance to win another ring. And I think if everyone stay healthy, we're going for that.
Speaker 2: That Yankee team had Mariano Rivera as their closer.
Speaker 1: Hall of Famer. When you were growing up in Puerto Rico.
Speaker 2: Did you have a favorite pitcher or baseball player that you idolized that made you love the game.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I Mariano and Pedro Martinez. I was my my two favorite pictures.
Speaker 1: Did you know Pedro started with the Dodgers.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I knew, I knew, I know, I know, I know pederal his study on You know, I'd be able to talk to him. Give me go up by. So Pedli is a great.
Speaker 2: Person whose hands are biggers yours are Pedro for a little guy, his his hands were pretty big.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I think mine mine is still a bigger. You know. Pedro is a horse, you know, one of the I think, for my eyes, one of the best pitcher I ever seen.
Speaker 1: Oh yeah, no doubt. Edwin. Great to see you. I love the blonde look.
Speaker 2: Good luck in the World Baseball Classic and we'll be here waiting for you on opening Day.
Speaker 3: Thank you, thank you, appreciate it. I can't wait to start the season with the Dooya and win another drink.