Speaker 1: The quest for the three peat has begun. Only four teams in Major League Baseball history have won three consecutive titles. The Dodgers are the favorites to become the fifth.
Speaker 2: A Spring training Dodger.
Speaker 3: Talk, here we go again.
Speaker 2: We're going to Running Back, hosted by Dodgers insider David Basset. Are in the mex to get in on the show called eight sixty six not eighty seven, two five seven, and be sure to follow Dodger Talk wherever you catch your podcasts. Here's your host, David Basse.
Speaker 1: All right, another Dodger Talk live from Camelback Ranching, Glendale, Arizona. We are with you until eight o'clock tonight here on AM five to seventy LA Sports. Coming up at the bottom of the hour, you'll hear my conversation with former Dodger and now part of the Dodgers front office again after spending three years across the pond in London, England, Chase Utley. Will join us at the bottom of the hour, looking forward to sharing that conversation with you. Coming up in our next segment, we'll get into exactly what the Dodgers are chasing this season as they look for a three pet and I feel like we all should not take for granted what is in front of the Dodgers and what it could mean as far as their place in history in Major League Baseball. Eight six six nine, eight seven two five seventy is the phone number. We have phone lines open right now if you want to get in talk some Dodger baseball. After they won another spring training game today, shut out the the Cleveland Guardians today. Not they didn't shut them out, they basically beat them up eleven to three. I was looking at the four and oh record that the Dodgers have this spring. The Dodgers beat Cleveland today at Camelback Ranch eleven to three to improve their Cactus League record to four and oh. And what's more impressive than being four and zero in spring training is just how the Dodgers are doing it. They have outscored their opponents in the first four games thirty four to six, and have put up double digits in two of the four games that they have played so far. Also, what's impressive about it is the fact that today was the first game of the four that Dave Roberts had the majority of his regulars in the lineup today, including Freddie Freeman, who made his first start at first base for the Dodgers today, had an RBI opposite field double to run double down the left field line, So that was great to see. And we'll hear from Freddy a little bit later because he and Will Smith in today's game did challenge pitches and they both lost their challenge. So you'll hear from Dodger All Star catch Will Smith on the strategy that he has to balance between hitting and catching, and also the strategy as a whole from both Will Smith and Freddie Freeman. Another impressive part of all this. And Dave Roberts told me after the game, the Dodgers are not just giving away at bats. They're coming to play with the purpose. Early in spring training, everybody from Andy pa Has to Taoscar Hernandez to you know, guys like Zayir Hope, guys that are in the minor leagues that are hoping to leave an impression. None of these batters are really chasing too many pitches outside the strike zone. And like I mentioned yesterday, what is apparent is the lack of depth of other teams compared to the Dodgers. Like I said, today was the first day the Dodgers had Rojas, ta Oscar Pajz, Tucker Smith Freeman in the same lineup in the same game. Mostly so far in the first three games, it's been Rojas Pajez, ta Oscar Hernandez and a lot of guys that are trying to make the team. But also the pitching. The pitching has been so much better than the opposition, especially after your starter comes out after one or two innings. It's just apparent how much talent the Dodgers have in this organization and the lack of talent that other teams have in their organization. That really has shown itself early on in spring training. But the story of today's game was not only Freddie Freeman making his first start, but also the fact that Gavin Stone returned to a Major League mound, albeit in a spring training game, for the first time since August thirty first of twenty twenty four. Remember, Stone, who made twenty five starts that year, had to undergo shoulders and shoulder surgeries are a lot less predictable than elbow surgeries. They have perfected to a certain extent that Tommy John's surgery. Shoulder surgeries are a lot more complicated and there are a lot less guarantees, but here's Gavin Stone, who made a team high twenty five starts in twenty twenty four, coming back to the mound and looking like Gavin Stone holding your breath to see how you wake up tomorrow. It's that a bigger test than how you feel right now.
Speaker 3: Oh yeah.
Speaker 4: The recovering part of it has been the hardest, especially going through spring training. The days that I've throw lives bullpens. Today felt great, but the recovery part is still a grind. So I will be sore for sure, but I think it'll be a good sort.
Speaker 5: Of How important has it been to get kind of the feel for the change up back?
Speaker 6: And was that like difficult at all as you're going through the rehab just kind of relearn how to throw at the shoulder.
Speaker 4: That's one bread and butter, So I don't have that.
Speaker 3: I'm scream but.
Speaker 4: It was the easiest pitch on my shoulder to throw last year. It never really hurt, so I got to practice of a lot and just getting feel back for it, and you know, seeing the results today is very uplifting.
Speaker 1: The biggest thing for Gavin Stone is not the fastball or the change up, because the way you release a change up is basically the same way you're going to release a fastball, just comes out a little slower. But as far as the third pitch, the slider, that's the tricky one and maybe the one that maybe put a lot of stress on his shoulder, because if you remember, he was trying to figure out that third pitch after you know, his first couple of starts in the big leagues didn't go so well because he only had two pitches. So I'm not sure how many sliders he tried to throw today, maybe none in that first inning since August thirty first of twenty twenty four. But let's see how things go for Gavin Stone after he throws the slider in spring training games. The one thing that we will not doubt is Gavin Stone's toughness. He is a throwback, even Dave Roberts said earlier today when he was discussing the outlook for Gavin Stone, who is very much in the mix for a starting rotation spot with Blake Snell severely behind everybody else in spring training. Here's what Dave Roberts had to say about just what Gavin Stone did in twenty four and how he believes he's one of those throwback pitchers that you know, is not into load management, will take the ball whenever asked.
Speaker 7: He is a throwback, and I think that, you know, when you look at guys that have big stuff, physical guys, Gavin is not, you know, one of those physical, imposing guys, and so his value is to be able to post and he never wants the ball taking out of his hand. And and he's healthy now. So that's why for me, I just have a hard time putting, you know, restrictions on him for twenty twenty six because this guy's gonna overachieve and you know, over deliver.
Speaker 3: But he's a throwback, no doubt.
Speaker 1: And if he's healthy coming out of spring training, I certainly see him being the guy that's part of the Dodgers five or six man rotation and River Ryan getting more time to come back and maybe be a weapon for the Dodgers in the second half of the season because he is coming off Tommy John surgery. So River Ryan and Gavin Stone are very much going to be key parts of the Dodgers' pitching staff, whether it be in the beginning, in the middle, or in the end. Because as you know, something always comes up when it comes to pitchers in twenty twenty six, and we have seen that before. So the old saying goes, you never have enough pitching. I think that's something the Dodgers can attest to, even as it's looking really good right now in spring training. So when you look at the Dodger rotation and there are a few off days early on in the season, that means the Dodgers don't need to bring so many starting pitchers or give them that extra day's rest By starting a sixth pitcher, you can maneuver that off day. But certainly the Dodgers are going to manage the workload of these guys early on in the season because they have the big picture in mind. So I'm looking at a rotation of Yamamoto, Glass, now Otani, Roki Sasaki, Emmitt Shean, and Gavin Stone. That's what I'm looking at to start the year. Because Blake Snell is barely throwing off flackground. He hasn't even thrown a bullpen session. That's not going to lend itself to being ready for the time the first time through the rotation happens. My overrun on Blake'snell and this is just my opinion. I'm going over under. He pitches sink of DeMaio. I think that's a very fair day to guess whether it's going to happen before or if it's going to happen after. Eight six six nine eight seven two five seventy is the phone number. We have two lines open. And before we go to the phone calls, I just want to bring your attention to the Dodger roster. You may think there are no competitions in camp, but there really is. There's three players for two spots on the Dodgers opening day roster with the injury to Tommy Edmond. Not the injury, but Edmund not going to be on the opening day roster because of the Dodgers slow playing him after right ankle surgery. A guy that is going to join us on the pregame show tomorrow at eleven thirty. Remember his name, Santiago Espinal, right handed hitting third baseman. He played with Taoscar Hernandez in Toronto. I was shocked. Frek Rogan knew that, but he played with Oscar Hernandez in Toronto. His defense in Toronto was much better than what it was last year. And the Dodgers are hoping being in this culture, being with the infield coaching staff that they have with Chris Woodward, Bob garn Dino Ebel, Pedro Montero, that they can bring that defense back. And if they see that his defense is back at third base, he definitely is a good backup option for Max Munsey at third base, especially against tough lefties. You could have Espinal have a spot start in place of Muncy or even maybe a pinch hit later in a game. So that's a name to look for. If he can make the roster, that leaves only one spot left for a left handed hitting infielder, and that's gonna be either Hayesan cam or Alex Friedland. Hayesan Kim's going to South Korea. Dave Roberts has seen some signs that his offense is better than what it was a year ago at this time, but I don't know how the Dodgers are going to evaluate Kim if he's going off to the World Baseball Classic in South Korea. So that may give Alex Friedland some sort of edge, But the speed factor for Kim having that on the bench and having him, you know, be able to start against right handed pitchers at second base until Edmund comes back certainly is attractive option for the Dodgers. So that's how the team is looking right now. When we continue live from Camel Back Ranch in Glendale, Arizona, we'll hear from Will Smith and Freddie Freeman on the automated strike zone now and how they're going to challenge it, and also your phone calls. I see you guys eight six, six, nine, eight seven two five seventy. David vasse with you until eight o'clock right here on AM five to seventy LA Sports. Thanks for being with us until eight o'clock right here on A five to seventy LA Sports. Chase Sutley is coming up at the bottom of the hour. We do have the broadcast tomorrow Dodgers at Talking Sticks Salt Rivers Field out there near Scottsdale, Arizona. The Dodgers will tangle with the Snakes tomorrow afternoon. Our coverage begins at eleven thirty. First pitch at twelve ten between the Dodgers and Arizona Diamondbacks. Rochi Sasaki will be making his first start of the Cactus League tomorrow, going up against Zach Gallen, who did receive a qualifying offer by the Arizona Diamondbacks. He turned it down, chose free agency, and nobody wanted to give up a draft pick that you have no idea what it's going to turn out to be for a proven, top tier major league starter. So he decided just to go back to Arizona. And if the Diamondbacks get Corbin Burns back at some point in time this season, they may have the making of a solid starting staff if nobody gets hurt, but Merril Kelly already got hurt, So Corbyn Burns, Zach Gallen, Eduardo Rodriguez make up a Brandon Fott make up a very thin rotation. And that's the difference between the Dodgers and the Diamondbacks and the Padres and the Giants. If somebody goes down or needs a breather for fifteen days, the Dodgers can turn to a Gavin Stone or a River Ryan or a Landon Nack to make a spot start or two. These other teams don't. And that's something that people fail to realize when they just, you know, blatantly or flippantly talk about the Dodgers and just their payroll. It's not so much about the Kyle Tuckers of the world, although obviously that's a big difference. But it's the depth that the player development has built over the years that allows the Dodgers to navigate and to add to an already very good pitching staff. Eight six six nine eight seven two five seventy is the phone number. We have two lines open right now. We'll hear from Freddie Freeman and Will Smith in a moment. But I want to give a shout out to two members of the Dodger family. For a very long time, Lynn and Steve Brenner. We're out here for a long time, long term stay hotels, you get tired of eating out, and Lynn and Steve Brenner have a hosted a cookout going back to twenty thirteen, twenty fourteen at one of the outdoor meeting areas at their hotel. They have the barbecues available here and they invited me tonight and it was such a great time. They grilled steaks, corn, they had salad. All of this had a long term stay outdoor barbecue. Steve Brenner, in case you don't know him, one of the longtime famous media relations people in LA He was the PR director when Tommy Lasorda was the manager and has stayed with the Dodgers on and off since nineteen eighty or since the seventies. Left to build his own empire in nineteen eighty seven and has come back as part of the Dodger family. So Travis Barbery, the OKC manager from a couple of years ago, still in the organization, was part of it. Charlie Huff was there. Joe Crawley, who's the everything at Dodger Stadium to make the facilities and the stadium run smoothly. So it was a great dinner had by all. And my day consists of getting here at seven am, leaving after the game, and then having some intermission for dinner before I come back to camel Back Ranch for Dodger Talk. And tonight they invited me to be part of their dinner, so thank you Lynn and Steve Brenner. All right, let's go out to the phones. Lou, who's out here in Phoenix listening on the iHeartRadio app. Hi, Lou, You're on Dodger Talk.
Speaker 6: Hey DV, great to chat with you again. Thanks for taking a look. And uh look, don't eat too much barbecue. You know you got to you got to push up challenge coming that we're all rooting for you, Okay, so just be careful with that barbecue, all right.
Speaker 1: All right, thank you, thank you for the warning.
Speaker 6: So Hey, I've been out there a few times and I've really been impressed with Miggy Rowe. Perhaps it's his last frame training and I don't know, he's just been raking the ball. He's really impressed me. And you know, every year you give the listeners a guy to watch for. I remember a couple of years ago you said Freeland watches Alex Freelay Freeland guy. So who's who should we be watching, you know, maybe to crack the roster this year or maybe in the next year or so. Because you're always really insightful and appreciate all you do for us.
Speaker 1: Dave, thank you, Hey, thank you, Lou Well. As far as prospects go, host Suade Depaula was three for three today with an RBI and two run scored. He just has to get the defense better in the outfield. And the guy that I'm telling you to look for is a veteran that the Dodgers into camp to possibly be part of their bench to start the year. Santiago Espinal. You'll hear from him on the pregame show tomorrow at eleven thirty. Let's go out to the City of Brotherly Love, Henry and Philly. Henry, how are you doing with that weather back there?
Speaker 5: Hey man, it's very cold DV. First time caller, longtime listener, huge fan of you. I actually just got home braved the Icy Road from the Homecoming movie that you had the director on a couple of weeks ago, and it was really special. It was cool to see with my girlfriend who works in sports media and hear her commentary on it. And thanks for highlighting that because it was a really cool experience.
Speaker 1: Hey, my pleasure. I meant it. I went to the premiere. I saw it. It wasn't what I expected, but it gave anybody that watches it a better understanding of how much baseball means the culture in the country of Japan. Hey, I got a question for you, Henry. What's the buzz back in Philly about or Ryan Keickering, the relief pitcher that threw the ball away to allow the Dodgers to win the NLDS over the Phillies. Are Philly fans all over or Ryan Kickering? Or they have they softened up?
Speaker 5: You know? I think some of the less knowledgeable ones, more kind of emotional one are still kind of like crew that guy. But I was happy to be listening to local radio here the other day and hear someone call in and just say that they were excited to see how he would refond this year. You know, a guy like that, I'm sure needing support. It was obviously a huge moment for us, but a horrible moment for him.
Speaker 1: Were you in Philly when that all went down?
Speaker 5: I was in Philly, and I have a few funny stories about all that, and so I was a little bit ahead of my neighbors, who I knew were watching the game because I saw it through their window that happened. And then I walk outside to go see my girlfriend who's down the street at a bar, and I see their reaction to their window, and then I just hear, I hear things I can't yell. On five seventy. I got the love their reaction, which was which was pretty cool. And then you know, the year before, I had been working a late night for Freddie's for during Game one of the twenty twenty four World Series, and I got out just in time towards the end of the game, and I ran to the bar down the street from my job, and he hit the home run. And as I'm walking in and he hid his walk off homer and I'm I.
Speaker 6: Kid you not.
Speaker 5: DV chair were flying back. Even in Philly. People were high fiving and couldn't believe it. Just such a special moment.
Speaker 1: I love it, Henry, thanks a lot for giving us the pulse out there in Philly. And I'm glad you enjoyed homecoming. I hopefully if you didn't get to see it in the theaters, people get to see it if it's if it's streams. So thanks, Henry, We'll talk to you soon. Yep, there he goes, Henry in Philadelphia listening on the iHeartRadio app. A Dodger fan out there, and hey, the Dodgers have a lot of Philly ties. Tommy Lasorda from the Philly area, Mike Piazza from the Philly area. So there's a lot of great baseball. Mark Goubazzaw is from Philly. Even though he did not pitch in a major League game for the Dodgers, his last invite to spring training before he retired was with the Dodgers and Mike Siani, who is here in camp with the Dodgers, is a Philly guy and actually was awarded the Mark Gubezaw Scholarship so he could go to high school that Gubazaw went to out there in Philly. So there's the connection of Philly right there. Eight six six nine eight seven two five seventy is the phone number coming up. At the bottom of the hour, you'll hear our conversation with another Philly guy, Chase. But before we get to all that, I do want to share with you that earlier today and today's game, we saw for the first time Dodgers hitters challenge balls and strikes. You know, there is going to be an automated strike zone where teams have two challenges in the first nine innings. If you get it wrong, you lose it. If you lose both, sorry, if it's the ninth inning and you use your challenges, it's not it's your fault. But if you're right, you get to retain the challenges. Well, today Will Smith and Freddie Freeman were both wrong. And I'm just curious now that games are starting to happen and we saw that occur today. What the Dodgers strategy is first, here's what Will Smith told me.
Speaker 3: You know, I think there's times.
Speaker 8: To use it.
Speaker 3: I think there's.
Speaker 8: Something egregious you use it, you know, like I use it. There's a man on third full count, Like I didn't think it was terrible time. Uh you know, I think if you truly think it's a ball, muse it. You can't if you're thinking about like the odds that being a striker ball, like rolling the dice. I feel like it's not really it. But I saw it down I knew, you know, it's kind of a bigger pitch for that ending because it could have been you know, bases load or whatever, or it could have been a strike out. Uh So I didn't like feel horrible taking it there. At the same time, like if I thought that was a striker, I wouldn't challenge it.
Speaker 1: Yeah, you know, yeah, what what about as the catcher? What's is the plan for you guys to be strictly the ones that call it or are you allowing some pictures to do that. It seems like a lot of pictures around the league are saying I'm leaving that up to the catcher.
Speaker 8: I think it's to the catcher honestly, you know, they're there are jobs to throw the pitch, not worried about where it is. You know, you might get too emotional sometimes, you know, But I mean maybe, I guess if they're like one hundred percent, they better get it right if they challenge.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I guess that's an edict from Will right there. That's interesting because he's a catcher as well, and one of the best hitters in baseball that has a pretty good awareness of the strike zone as a hitter. But for him to say that the Dodger catchers will be the one that exclusively challenge balls and strikes, that is something we haven't heard before. Now here's what Freddy Freeman said. He gave us a little bit more insight on what his plan was today, what his plan is going to be in spring training with this new technology where you can challenge balls and strikes. Here's what Freddy had to say about the reason why he challenged today and just how this is all going to work for the Dodgers. What's the game plan the strategy as hitters going into it. Is it a series by series, game by game where everybody has to have a strategy going into it.
Speaker 9: So I think we had the first staff meeting about it with the hitting coaches trying to figure out game plan strategies. Maybe if we're you know, fifth, sixth entning, we have one left to kind of leave up to Will and Picture because it's kind of a little bit more important. But right now, I think I was the first position player to do it. I was just more of trying to learn because to me, I still think it's down. But that's what you got to do, Like, I need to know if I'm right, because if I didn't challenge that, I would have thought it was down the whole time. And then, you know, I just wanted to get going so well did the same thing. You know that the maybe the low strike and high strike we heard might be a little bit more strike calls on that system. So I just wanted to start using it, even though if I'm wrong, I need to know so I can get figure out this ongoing in the season.
Speaker 1: As you're standing straight up right now, your height is a lot different than what your height is when you're in the batter's box. Is that your understanding? Is that taken account for?
Speaker 9: Yeah, So we had we were not allowed to measure until a certain time a few days ago. We had to wait till a specific time, and that's because of your taller when you right when you wake up, because you've been laying down the whole time. Gravity over time will make you shrink by the end of the day. So I think it's more of It's gonna be a little bit different for Max's Max Monty is measure staying up straight. He crouches a lot more in his stance, So maybe that high strike is gonna be a little different. So I think we do even if we're wrong. I think we need to use it, even tho if we lose them early, just to figure out the top and bottoms of the zone. So I thought it was low, it wasn't, So now I know I got to go after that a little bit more. So it's just more of learning. You just got to learn. You just it's the rule. It's there, so we got to figure it out.
Speaker 1: Hey, this is going to be a big impact on the game of baseball this year and moving forward, and we'll see whether or not there's some adjustments in season by Major League Baseball. But the way it's going to work, like I said, each team gets two challenges. If you get them wrong, you lose it, and you get only two challenges for nine innings. Extra innings you'll get an extra one. And if you're at Dodger Stadium or any stadium across America, you will see it on Dodger Vision or on the big screen. They'll show what they're showing on television whether or not the ball asses through the strike zone. So we'll all know at the same time whether it's a ball or strike, and the hitter can't look at the dugout. It has to be called immediately. You got to tap your helmet immediately, whether you're the hitter, the catcher, or the pitcher, and those are the only three players on the field that can challenge a ball or strike. So everybody keeps talking about this lockout that may or may not happen. It is going to happen, but it may or may not affect how many games are played next year. But what is the immediate right now happening is the effect that this new ABS system is going to have on games and the outcomes of games, and how pitchers attack and how hitters approach things. That is going to have an immediate impact starting Game one in twenty twenty six, and you just heard two of the Dodger leaders, veterans, smart hitters, smart players talk about what their strategy is going to be like in spring training to learn this new very impactful technology rule, whatever you want to call it. Eight six six nine eight seven two five seventy is the phone number. When we continue on Dodger Talk, Chase Utley will join us. Don't go anywhere right here on AM five seventy LA Sports. Welcome back to Dodger Talk. David vasse with you until eight o'clock tonight here on AM five to seventy LA Sports. And the Dodgers have had a lot of great players come through their doors since Andrew Friedman took over. Specifically one of them that kind of changed the culture when he arrived and they acquired him. That's the one and only Chase Utley. Chase is out here at Dodger Camp. Great to see you back out.
Speaker 3: Here, David. Great to be out here and great to be talking with you.
Speaker 1: Oh, come on, you know it. I'm the only guy that keeps you humble. That is.
Speaker 3: Whatever you need. Let's let's wrap.
Speaker 1: Do you okay? You have this reputation when you were playing that obviously you were an intense player. Do you feel like now post playing career, people will still feel like you're unapproachable.
Speaker 10: The ones that don't know me. Yeah, I believe so. I felt like on the on the field, I needed to have a certain persona and something to get me to play my best, and that was to be take it extremely serious and have some type of intimidating features. So I felt like that gave me a slight advantage on the field.
Speaker 3: Off the field, not not quite so much.
Speaker 1: You do things with a purpose, not only going against the competition, but did you feel the edge that you brought was something of a strategy to keep your teammates also, you know, focused on the task at hand.
Speaker 11: Yeah.
Speaker 10: At a young age, I was always taught to try to try to lead by by example.
Speaker 3: Do it on the field, don't necessarily do it by what you say. So I try to lead that.
Speaker 10: Way, and it really depends on the on the personnel and the team. But I feel like if everyone kind of has that similar mindset, it can be it can really create a winning culture.
Speaker 1: We've talked about this a few times. People know that you went over the pond for three years. Are you permanently back in the States and are you are you ted lassoed? Have they turned you into Ted Lasso or are you still baseball?
Speaker 10: Chase Utley still baseball, but I have become a football fan is what you would call it over there.
Speaker 3: But yeah, I really enjoyed our time living.
Speaker 10: Over there for three years, had a blast with my wife and my kids, and saw all of Europe. Really showed them something that they wouldn't necessarily see. So we're happy that we did it. But we're also happy to be back. Happy to be back in southern California.
Speaker 1: Are you back with the Dodgers because you were a vital part after you stopped playing a part of the game planning for the Dodgers. Do you feel like you want to get back into that role.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I'm here. It's being training. I'll be around.
Speaker 10: Unfortunately, you might have to see me a little bit more throughout the course of the season. But yeah, obviously, as we all know, amazing organization and Andrew is the best out there, so to you have the ability to learned, to continue to learn, absorb, interact with the with the current big league guys, maybe make some relationships on the minor league level.
Speaker 3: I'm just I'm just here to help.
Speaker 1: Where are you at in your baseball life or your post playing career. Are you still searching for where you fit wanting to be part of the game, or do you feel like you you want to be in the evaluation part of it or do you still feel like maybe there's a place for you in the dugout somewhere.
Speaker 10: I was still still trying to feel it out, you know. I, as we mentioned, I have a young family that I enjoy being around and enjoy spending time with. So right now I'm happy with what we're doing, which is spending some time with with with the Dodgers and the front office and their and their players, but also have some time for my family.
Speaker 3: So right now we're in a good spot.
Speaker 1: When Zach Greenki played for the Dodgers, he was very famous in making trades and trying to pretend to be Andrew Friedman or a guy in that position. When you played, did you evaluate or gauge the temperature on players that you were playing against, playing with? Do you feel like you had that knack for evaluation.
Speaker 3: To be honest, Yeah, at a young age.
Speaker 10: Now you're just your focus on yourself and trying to figure out how to how to improve and help your team win. But as you age a little bit, you have a little bit different perspective. So yes, you definitely recognize talent on the other side, good and bad. And yes you're always, you know, making mental cues of guys that you hope at some point you have the ability to play with the guys that could possibly hit make you better. And I mean Andrew does Andrew and his team do a pretty good job of finding the best guys out there.
Speaker 1: I've been doing this too long. I remember the day that Chase Utley arrived in the Dodger clubhouse. It was in Houston in twenty sixteen when the Dodgers acquired you from the Phillies. You mentioned Andrew Friedman from where it was when he traded for you to where he has the Dodger organization. Now, what has he turned this into?
Speaker 10: Well, I mean the current team least, I mean the current team let few years is pretty pretty talented. But I think his vision early on was to one identify what was going on in the organization and see if there's areas to to to improve, And slowly but surely he's done that year after year, and now they're in a pretty good spot with with the talent that they have, with the young guys coming up, they're they're in position to win for for a long time. I know they've from a division standpoint, they've they've won a lot over the past ten years.
Speaker 3: They've i think.
Speaker 10: They've created a culture here that has a winning vibe. And these guys are most of these guys are superstars. But but they work like they're hungry rookies, which you don't see very opt in.
Speaker 3: But there's a reason why they're so successful.
Speaker 1: There's so much focus on the payroll the last couple of years. But does Andrew and his staff not get enough credit for what you mentioned the culture and be the infrastructure to support players to be their best.
Speaker 10: Yeah, I mean, I mean, obviously talent helps to win games, but you need a common theme within in the clubhouse at least my opinion, to sustain that success over time.
Speaker 3: And they've they've created that.
Speaker 10: They've they created that a while ago and it's and it's lasting, and it's.
Speaker 3: It's good for it's good for these.
Speaker 10: Guys that are, you know, in the middle middle of their career to recognize what they need to do. But It's also great for the young guys coming up seeing how hard these superstars work.
Speaker 3: I think I truly believe that this culture will last for a long time.
Speaker 1: Do you appreciate these group of players because I remember when you played, you were on a time schedule for yourself to prepare. Every minute was accounted for. It similar to show Heyo Tani and you know Mookie Bets and these guys. Does it look familiar to you where these guys are on such a schedule to prepare to play every night, It.
Speaker 10: Does look familiar, and it's it's it's it's great to see it. I mean, these guys know what they need to do to get ready. Everyone's got a slightly different program. At the end of the day, they're all have a program to get them ready for the seven five start. Yeah, and that's what's most important. So again I can't reiterate enough, but like for these young players especially, it's been training that are seeing these guys work. It's it's good that they can see guys with amazing work ethics. I've seen the opposite where young prospects, young players see you guys that don't have a work ethic like these guys do. And they think that's the way to do it, and it's not.
Speaker 1: Chase Sutley is our guest. He's an LA guy, Long Beach, UCLA eventually finished his career with the Dodgers. I'm sure you can appreciate this. Yesterday, pat Riley got his statue and he talked about the business of the NBA, business of sports, where guys come and go. You had such a lasting effect on your teammates in Philly, but we got to see it here in LA with Corey Seeger and Key k Hernandez, among others. Do you still keep in touch with those guys? Do they reach out to you for any sort of advice?
Speaker 3: Yeah? I still give an touch with him.
Speaker 10: I mean, obviously everyone's kind of spread out a little bit, but yeah, usually, like we text back and forth when there's when there's something something to talk about that that's important.
Speaker 3: I appreciate that they used me for advice.
Speaker 10: But these guys, these guys are now starting to become grown men.
Speaker 3: But I'm always there for him. Chase.
Speaker 1: Before I let you go, I've wanted to ask you this. I told you I have bi weekly conversations with Rich Hill, and he somehow someway still brings up the burn of the way the twenty seventeen World Series went down. That was your last Major League game, Game seven of the seventeen World Series. A lot of people, me included, felt like you guys were robbed of what should have been yours. How have you come to peace with it? How have you processed it over the years.
Speaker 10: Yeah, I mean it doesn't make you make you feel good about it. I'm happy that everything has come out and the attention was put on on that. I mean, it's it's I think it's help for these guys now that we're a part of that. It's helpful that they have a few World Series under their belt since then. I was able to get one in Philadelphia. So had I not got that, I think I probably would have a slightly different opinion.
Speaker 3: But yeah, we didn't feel good about it. We we prepared it, just we didn't prepare for the for what happened.
Speaker 1: You don't seem to be a guy that just continues to stew over things. Do you ever think about it before a guy like me brings it up.
Speaker 10: No, I haven't thought about it for a while. To be honest with you, it's kind of in the past. Those guys, A lot of those guys uh forever will be part of that group and that they'll live with it for the rest of their lives.
Speaker 1: How special was that seventeen Dodgers team.
Speaker 10: It was great because we had a mixture of young and old and it was a lot of energy, a lot of fun, a lot of trying to figure figure figure it out. There were some growing pains, but overall we had a pretty pretty, pretty solid team, and to get to that point, knowing they had a little bit extra help should make us feel good, although it doesn't necessarily.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, but Chase Utley is a champion of a person, champion of a player, and Miguel Rojas is right there. So everybody has a story about Game seven where they were watching it. You said you were in London for three years. Where was Chase Utley watching the World Series? Specifically Game seven, the ninth inning, the home run, and the incredible play Rojas and Smith made in the ninth inning.
Speaker 10: I was in la I was on my couch with his few friends watching it and biting my nails and sweating and nervous like pretty much everyone else was. But I mean, I don't think there's been a better World Series. Obviously, it helps that your team wins, but overall, just the different moments, the dowerdie moments in that game, you just don't see happen very often, especially in one particular game, and it happens to be Game seven, So I mean, these guys are prepared and right now for that moment, so hopefully they get to do it again.
Speaker 3: But yes, I was on my couch sweat and bullets.
Speaker 1: I feel more anxious watching the replays of the infield in play with Rojas throwing out kind of philefa at home. How difficult is that for a second basement in that especially in that moment.
Speaker 10: It's a tough play. It's a I mean, it's a do or that I play. The game's over, it's not. And I mean maybe he's an amazing defensive specialist out there, so he can kind of do whatever he wants. And it's his instincts that made it happen. When you first see the player like ooh, he's backed up on the ball, but he was able to pick it cleanly and fire it. But that's what makes him so special that he has the ability to put his body in those positions and still make plays.
Speaker 1: Chase, thank you for laying me tap into you. When you were playing. You always had a time schedule, limited time, and you have so much to offer the game. You have such a high baseball IQ and the Dodgers are lucky that you live in LA and you can be part of this organization to help them grow and be the best that they can be. And you know you'll still come tiger claw over anybody's neck, including mine. So don't get it twisted. He's one of the toughest guys you ever meet. But I feel like I've softened. I've humanized Chase Sutley here right now on the field.
Speaker 3: Slightly right now, in this moment.
Speaker 1: Yes, do we hug or no?
Speaker 3: Hugstive?
Speaker 10: We give high five knuckles here we go, Okay, okay, David, But thank you thanks for having me on.
Speaker 3: Can't wait to do it again.
Speaker 1: Awesome. Chase Utley might even come in studio or I might even go to his house to do the show one day.
Speaker 3: Ye sure, but we'll see, we'll see.
Speaker 1: Hey, I'll take it. I'll take it. Chase Suttley. There he goes. Chase Suttley, a guy that many believe deserves a strong consideration of being in the Hall of Fame. And look, he has a lot of baseball knowledge. He was always watching everyone when he was a teammate on the Dodgers and has great evaluation skills. And it's great that you know he took that time to get perspective and live his life after devoting all of it to baseball, to go to London for three years with his wife and kids. But he's back now and the Dodgers are better for it. So great to catch up with Chase Sutley, and look he was He's a tough guy man. He was tough and really respected by a lot of his teammates. I'll never forget the day that he showed up in Houston. He was all business and it kind of set the tone for that Dodger team that eventually would make it to the NLCS against the Cubs in twenty sixteen. Unfortunately, in twenty fifteen, the year that he got traded to the Dodgers, they lost to the Mets in a five game NLDS eight six six nine eight seven two five seventy is the phone number in case you missed any of that conversation on the iHeartRadio app that's where you can find it. That's where you could podcast it tomorrow and all our shows from spring training here on the iHeartRadio app. Make Dodger Talk a number one pre set like our guy Duley at snell Zilla National has done. It's not too late to do that. People have called in tonight from Phoenix, from Philadelphia, so from LA. Awesome to have this not just be a local show anymore, but to reach Dodger fans not only all over the country, but even met people that came up to me in Tokyo and Korea that listen on the iHeartRadio app or podcast the show on the iHeartRadio app. We'll be back with you tomorrow night at seven o'clock as well, and then another show on Friday from Scottsdale Scottsdale Stadium to be exact. So looking forward to our next two shows. Tomorrow night. Mookie Betts has told me he will join the show, so we have Mookie Betts on the show tomorrow night at seven point thirty, so looking forward to that as well. We say good night. Last night. I kind of addressed the pi Crow armstrong over zealous comments to try to endear himself to Cubs fans, and our social media guy Matt Demicky reminded me that I interviewed pie Crow Armstrong at Justin Turner's golf tournament two years ago. And remember, during the regular season two years ago, PCA basically won at least two of those games at Dodger Stadium with his glove and it was racus. People were shocked, they were excited, they were entertained. And pie Crow Armstrong, who went after Dodger fans to make Cubs fans feel better, Well, here's what PCA told me two years ago, and really is the feelings that he has towards Dodger fans.
Speaker 5: Right.
Speaker 1: But yeah, what an amazing game, right, Yeah, that was just a.
Speaker 3: Good way to end that game.
Speaker 11: I mean, those are those are three big games that we played in LA that were you know, I think that third one was pretty impactful in terms of how our season ended. And you know, I we had opportunities to take that whole series and and maybe go on a maybe go.
Speaker 1: On, where's he going? By the way, I think I'm done here.
Speaker 11: I'm kidding, I'm kidding, uh No, I mean that was just an important series and I think when when I get into situations like that, and when I mean when our team got into situations that that felt pressed or you know, the big stressful kind of moments. I think the Cubs responded well. And I don't know, I that was great to do it in Dodger Stadium. I thought the fans were rowdy and energetic, and they were They were making me want to go make every one of those plays. So and it's easy doing it for show to too. You know, he keeps you locked in all game and then for Porter two, Porter works his works his tail offs. So I mean, that's what I live for, That's what I wake up to do.
Speaker 1: In the morning.
Speaker 11: So it was nice to be able to execute simply all.
Speaker 1: Right, there we go. He just said it right there. Uh, Dodger make you better when you're a visiting player. There. Okay, those are his true feelings. Obviously, all other twenty nine teams are envious and jealous of the Dodgers. They know it is going to take a lot to beat the Dodgers. Picrow Armstrong is trying to embed himself in Chicago Wrigleyville, make those Cubs fans love him. But he just went a little bit too far to take a shot at Dodger fans just because they're low hanging fruit these days where everybody wants to take a shot at the Dodgers because you're not with them. So I love, I love PCA.
Speaker 11: I love these fans were rowdy and energetic and they were. They were making me want to go make every one of those plays.
Speaker 1: So there we go. Played again, Ronnie.
Speaker 11: I thought the fans were rowdy and energetic, and they were. They were making me want to go make every one of those plays.
Speaker 1: There you go. This is where you come to set the record straight. That was p p Crow Armstrong in twenty twenty four. It's a great sports talk show fodder. And if you didn't interview PCA, or never show up at a stadium or try to meet or talk to these guys, you never get those type of answers. So I'm just putting into context for you what pe Crow Armstrong was trying to accomplish. He just went too far, but those were his true feelings. Dodger fans. Dodger Stadium brings the best out of every visiting player because they know they're playing the best and they have fifty thousand bearing down on them. So there you go, Peek Crow Armstrong still my guy, all right that I'll do it for us on Dodger Talk. Thanks to Ronnie Fossio for doing a great job tonight. As always, in case you missed any of the show, you can find it on the iHeartRadio app, including our conversation with Chase Sutley. Looking forward to having Mookie Bets on the show tomorrow night. Coming up next Fox Sports Radio. We'll talk to you tomorrow earlier than seven o'clock because we have Dodger Baseball right here on your home the back to back world champion Dodgers Dodgers Diamondbacks at Salt Rivers Field tomorrow right here on a five to seventy LA Sports. Our coverage begins at eleven thirty, First Pitch with Rick Monday and Tim Neverett at twelve ten, and then Dodger Talk tomorrow night with Mookie Bets at seven o'clock. We'll talk to you then, have a great rest of your night. Be safe. See you from the desert.