Speaker 1: It's going to be an American idiot.
Speaker 2: All right, one more time, one more time, Dan Horde on the show on seven hundred ww's the Bengals go to Miami. You go from the coldest game of the year to one of the warmest games of the year. Trying to navigate that one in your mind. Bengals trying to win out in their final three games here and also find out who is going to be on this team in the fall of twenty twenty six.
Speaker 1: On There is the.
Speaker 2: Voice of the Bearcats and of course our Bengals on Sunday in Miami is Dan Horde. Welcome Dan. How are you, buddy Clony.
Speaker 3: I'm great.
Speaker 4: How are you.
Speaker 1: I'm doing well. I'm doing well here.
Speaker 2: There's so much to unpack because, let's face it, they're going to try and win out doesn't really mean anything. It's more about pride and also figuring out who is going to be on the team, especially on the defensive side this time next year, or at least for the fall of twenty twenty six. But I'll begin with this because there's been so much noise off the field. One of the questions that I don't know you've an answer for but I'll ask you, is Zach Taylor was asked about his contract, whether it extended or not, and the Bengals aren't talking the front offices and talking, Zach Taylor isn't talking, And you know, as a fan, I go, why is that such a secret, because it feels like he works at the Pentagon and not at pay Corps. Is it that is that big a deal that you can tell him at Yeah, they extended me, so well.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I don't think it is a secret at this point. He certainly didn't deny the reports that his contract runs for two more years, so I think we can assume that that is the case. I do think that it is maybe a premature conclusion to think that that guarantees that he will be back. Now, I'm not trying to suggest he won't be. My suspicion that he will be.
Speaker 5: But.
Speaker 3: You know, the amount of money that we're talking about in the fl is not the amount of money that a franchise couldn't eat. So I do think the last three games matter. I think Mike Brown and his family want to see how this thing finishes out and then they'll make whatever decisions they want to make going forward. But again, I would expect that Zach will be back.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 3: Okay.
Speaker 2: The other element then is Duke Tobin, and it seems like from a fan perspective, there's more pressure on Duke Tobin, or at least adding to the staff in the front office than there would be on Zach Taylor.
Speaker 3: Yeah, they did add scouts. They added two scouts and an analytical guys past year. Maybe they will continue to expand that part of the organization this coming off season. I don't think it's ever going to be the largest scouting staff in the NFL, but they did move toward making it a little bit bigger this last year, and then we'll see if that continues. I do think that the front office this offseason that is the part of the organization that needs to get this right. They were on a heater for a while there and getting the team to the Super Bowl in twenty one and back to the EFC Championship Game in twenty two. I do think that if Joe Burrow didn't hurt his risk with seven games to go in twenty three, they were going back to the playoffs. We tend to look at this three year stretches three years of disaster. When I do think in twenty three they were still really good. Man had a chance to maybe, you know, go back to the championship game of the Super Bowl if he didn't set for that injury. But in any case, he did and they didn't. So this is the off season where after locking up your offense last year, you got to fix the defense. You have to. That's it takes, the defense, do whatever it takes. There's seventh or eighth in salary caps. Face, They've got some room to spend. They haven't treaded away any high draft picks, so use whatever capital you have to fix that defense once and for all.
Speaker 2: Who would you build around on d I mean obviously DJ Turner, J Hill, I think Miles Murphy's come on, Shimar Stewart's too grain and too injured to get a good sample of. At this point, you're not going to give up on a guy in his rookie season, of course too.
Speaker 1: But outside of those four, we else.
Speaker 3: You see, I don't know, I don't necessarily look at it that way. Sloane's I mean, certainly DJ Turner is a building block. He's got a real chance of going to the Pro Bowl this year. But I look at it in terms of all, right, what reinforcements do you need? You need a starter on the defensive line. I think you need a starter at linebacker, and I think you need a start at safety. So those guys don't have to be superstars, but they need to be proven, veteran guys that you can rely on. So for me, at least, I want to go out and get a starter, a proven capable starter at every level of the defense and go from there.
Speaker 1: Can you do that in one off season?
Speaker 3: Sure? And I think the key is, you know, Trey Anddrickson is the greatest free agenc signing in franchise history, and the likelihood of getting a guy like that is not high because if you do that, then you're only going to get, you know, one big prize in free agency or close to one, as opposed to adding multiple guys like I'm talking about. To me, the key is the Mike Hilton's should obey a Woogs, Larry Ogan, Jobi's, the guys who came in here for three and four years are on offense, Ted Carriss, the guys who have come in on the middle of the road type salaries but were proven starters elsewhere. That give you those solid, dependable vets that are great in the locker room, that are good players on the field. To me, that's what this team needs. And with a salary salary cap space that they have that is very realistic to do.
Speaker 2: Is that what you think he means when Joe Burrow says, hey, we've got to get creative with changes here. When he says creative, what do you think that entails.
Speaker 3: My best guess on that is maybe in some of the ways that they've negotiated with players and done lined up their contracts. I think Joe Burrow is saying, we have to reconsider how we've done all of that. It's the next in our evolution. You know, anytime things go poorly for the Bengals, it's like our mindset goes back twenty years. They've made a lot of changes in the.
Speaker 5: Joe Burrow era.
Speaker 3: We've talked about changes they've made in the staff. They've built the practice bubble. They've given these huge contracts to Burrow and Chase and Higgins. They're not the same old Bengals, but that doesn't mean they don't have to continue to grow. And I think that's what Joe Burro is trying to say, let's look at every aspect of the way we've done business during this three year stretch that we haven't made the playoffs and figure out, all right, what are other teams doing, What are other successful teams doing that we have not been doing, and let's do that.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and I think there is a you know, they certainly may changes.
Speaker 2: A lot of that has to do with public pressure, media everything out of the practice bubble you mentioned. Snowgate, of course is the latest thing from last weekend. There's enough people around the league to talk poorly about the Bengals, and you know, every time we have a miss, but the team has a misstep, I think it's magnified more because of the past history. Whether that's fair or unfair, you have to be determined.
Speaker 3: Well, I agree with that, and you know, let's just take a look at Joe Burrow's comments over the last couple of weeks. So any time that he expresses any sort of frustration on happiness, which is unnatural considering how this year has gone for him and for the team, people don't know him very well just immediately say, as if it's fact, and these people have big platforms that he hates it. Here they said it before he was drafted. Joe's not going to go to Cincinnati, you know, And none of that's ever been true. By and large, all he's ever said is great things about playing here. It talks about, you know, appreciation and respect for the coaches and the staff. So rather than listening to people that don't know Joe, let's send to the people that do, including himself. I don't blame him for wanting to win. Mike Brown wants to win. Duke Tobin wants to win. You want to win. I want to win. We all want to win. They haven't won this year, So fix it. That's it. Fix it, yeah, and everybody will be happy, and at least in the short term, people that like to bash the Bengals nationally will stop doing so, at least for a little while.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 2: And the thing with Burrow too is, you know, we're way too much into reading the tea leaves here and what's what is his future here? What messages he sending and the experts are saying, oh, clearly, you know he's going to give him one more season than he's the hell out of here, and you know he's going to go Andrew Luck like, yeah, yeah, I think he answer the question Privent, It's like, yeah, I'm a benk next season. But I don't know. People get traded all the time. It could happen. I have no idea what's going to happen two, three, five years from now.
Speaker 1: It's a stupid question, right, I thought.
Speaker 3: Albert Breer, who it's about the NFL for Sports Illustrated, he did a video about Burrow yesterday or maybe it was the day before, and he's the one national reporter that actually seems to talk to Joe and know how he feels about these things. And he more or less said, from all the conversations that he's had with Joe over the years, Joe wants to be a change agent in Cincinnati. He wants to be the guy that turns this franchise into one that people respect nationwide as opposed to one that they often mock. But he said, if you go for a long time and things aren't happening the way that they need to, then maybe you go from being Joe Montana to Matthew Stafford in Detroit, where you just say, you know what, we had a good run, we didn't get where we wanted to go. Maybe it's time to go somewhere else. We're a long way from that. Joe Burrow signed through twenty twenty nine. The Bengals have options after that. Jamar and t are signed for at least four more years, So this group's going to be together for a while. Let's fix the defense so they can get back into Super Bowl contention.
Speaker 2: Same time, though, how much weight does he carry with people who last him as Brown and Blackburn?
Speaker 3: I think a lot, But I don't look at that as a negative thing. It's portrayed, like, you know, the Bengals front office and ownership is in hand the whims of Joe Burrow. It's not that. It's that they understand that they have this rare and awesome resource and it's worth talking to him and finding out his opinion on things. That doesn't mean they always do exactly what he wants. In the case of extending T Higgins, you know, maybe that's the closest thing I was proposed to to doing what you know, Joe wanted them to do. But that doesn't necessarily mean it wasn't something that they weren't seriously already considering on their own. I think they looked at the team and said, you know what, Let's reward our best players. Let's keep our best guys. It would be nice if they were all in positions so the stars everywhere. The way the roster looks right now, that's not the case. So let's at least keep the best guys we have and go from there. All right.
Speaker 2: So Dan Horbe got Miami this weekend a much better atmosphere I think, to broadcast football in and certainly play in for a number of players, and that would be the warmth of Miami in the eighties, where it was in the sub zeros last week in Cincinnati. That's a hell of a turn, right there. Definitely a windows open day for you down at Miami. Let's hug injuries real quick.
Speaker 3: Here, Can I jump in for a sec? Yes? So hard Rock Stadium, where the game will be played, is one of the few boots in the NFL where you can't open the windows, which drives me crazy. I want them open, whether it's hot, whether it's frigid. I want to feel like I'm at the game. They are permanently inclosed in Miami. It's in a rough spot in terms of the stadium. It's kind of hard to see the majority of the field. It's really narrow, so laugh and I will be shoulder to shoulder. I don't like to complain about the broadcasting conditions because I understand my audience doesn't want to hear it. I got a great game, don't complain, right, But this is a tough one. Yeah.
Speaker 2: I've heard from many people, yourself included that hard rock is added near the bottom of an NFL stadium, So which kind of surprises me, knowing you know how things run down in Miami. Let's get injuries.
Speaker 3: It's the fans, but it is tough for visiting radio I tell you that, gotcha.
Speaker 2: And then visiting teams as well too, because man, you know that that dehydration is real when you're used to temperatures like we've had here. That's that's I think that's a big component of this game. On Sunday, bj Hill, Jenkins, Jones, Asi, all of them oddly out with the ankle injuries, not practicing. I think the biggest question though, is the state of T Higgins and the concussion that he suffered. And of course came back and read it in Buffalo this last week, going to be back. You know, the one thing I brought is like what I understand is especially that Buffalo game, come to the concussion, why he was not wearing the helmet bubble, and as I recall, I don't know if I've seen a since he player this season that's had that protective extra padding on their helmet.
Speaker 3: Saw me, how many of you seen in the NFL. I mean it's.
Speaker 1: Less yeah, yeah, yeah, you know.
Speaker 3: They required training camp. It's definitely reduced concussions in training camp, and it would probably help some guys, but they don't like the look. I think it's a cosmetic thing. Maybe it impedes their vision a little bit. I'm not sure, but I can, off the top of my head maybe named three or four guys league wide that I recall seeing wearing that guardian cap during regular season games.
Speaker 2: I guess if I'm ts like, hey, I want to play, but I could, you know, go back the other way and regret, especially with the frozen turf that we saw as well, And that's certainly it's kind of like guys that have the have the mouthpiece on their helmet that they don't put the mouthpiece in their mouth.
Speaker 3: Same thing, yeah, except that the mouthpiece doesn't look weird and the helmet bubble or guardian cap as it's called does. And you know, young man that don't don't like to look weird. Maybe they should be a little bit more willing to correct because that thing probably would help. But again, I can't think of there's a wide receiver in Green Bay wears it. Yes, maybe a couple of defensive backs that wear it. That's about it.
Speaker 2: Yeah, Dan the Dolphins bench to a six season, leads the NFL in I iNTS. He's guaranteed I think, like fifty four million next season. Why is it that working for him? Down in Miami?
Speaker 3: They lost Kyrie kill in Week three or four, his best weapon in one of the NFL's best weapons, maybe the best weapon in the league. So that's a factor. I don't think their offensive line is great. That's a factor. And you know, I think Tua is a kind of a product of the system type quarterback. I do think the Dolphins have had a very creative offense in recent years. He did lead the league passing yards one year, but when you watch him, it feels to me, seems to me that like if the first option isn't there, they're not getting much out of the play. So I think they've schemed up some good stuff. They usually have a really good running game. They've got a lot of speed. Even without Tyreek Hill, they're one of the faster teams in the league. So I think there have been a lot of instances where one of those quick first read passes from Tua gets into some speedy guy's hands and the next thing you know, you've got a big play that makes him look great. I just think he's kind of a middle of the pack, maybe slightly below the middle of the pack type quarterback. And it was probably a very questionable investment when they gave him a four year deal for fifty three MILLI year, because they've got three years left on that deal and stuff. Wh can put a guy on the bench? Yep? And now you have to think about, all right, we're going to eat you know, ninety nine million dollars of salary cap next year. If we cut him, that's a that'd be a challenging thing for them to do.
Speaker 2: Yeah, Quinn Yours out of Texas is the starting quarterback this week from Miami saw a little bit of action I think early of the season not not much. So how hard is that for the Bengals coming and scout a guy like that who you've never seen before.
Speaker 3: You know, it's interesting. The offense doesn't change that much. So that's the number one thing that you're scouting. But you never know how a guy's going to perform. I'm sure they've watched his preseason games.
Speaker 6: Uh.
Speaker 3: The one game he played in that you mentioned was a blowout lost to Cleveland, of all teams, he threw eight passes in that game. So he's a little bit, you know, a question mark, a mystery factor in this game. To me, the bigger thing is the bond a Chan. He's got more than a thousand rushing yards. You know, one of the fastest running backs in the NFL. Jalen Wright, who backs up him, had one hundred yards two leaks ago against the Jets. He's one of, you know, like the second fastest running back in the NFL. So for a Bengals defense that was bad against the run last week and by and largest struggled against it this season, I'm a lot more worried about though, those guys than I am about Quinn yours. Yeah.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I would look at a Chan and go, okay, let's focus send him because he is, like, I think third in the NFL in yards. They've got Jayleen Waddle, They've got Darren Waller, who I think is almost your age. No, Tyreek Hill, focus on stopping the run. I think Goods had and it certainly it's it's one of those games the defense can get right.
Speaker 3: I think on Sunday, you're just gonna drop in almost your age and just keep going as if you know, you're just hoping that the sting lingers and I don't get a chance to Retord he's as old as you too, buddy.
Speaker 1: I still see many touchdowns.
Speaker 3: He did have two touchdown catches on Monday night against so you're right right. No, he is thirty seasonally thirty three. He seems to still be bawling.
Speaker 5: You know.
Speaker 3: He retired. He came back and looked pretty good on Monday night. The team sucked, but he had a good game against Pittsburgh.
Speaker 1: Fair enough, fair enough, fair enough.
Speaker 2: Well, we have forty four year old grandfather's throwing touchdown passes, so anything in today's league is possible. Dan Horde, Voice of the Bengals, It's been a pleasure speaking to you every Friday morning on the show, and hopefully we can continue next year and into the playoffs. Presumably in twenty twenty six, twenty seven. What do you say.
Speaker 3: I think that sounds great. The Super Bowl is back in so far next year, so let's run it back. Let's go back to La finish the job this time around, and you know, again, if they can fix the defense, I think that that is very realistic. This franchise has been to the Super Bowl three times Blony. In eighty one they won six games the year before. In eighty eight, they won four games the year before. In twenty one, they won four games the year before. This is how it goes. You know, have the building blocks with a great quarterback and fix the defense and you can get right back into contention. And that's that's my hope. And I don't think it's so far.
Speaker 2: All right, Hopefully this is the Christmas present you get Dan Horde all the best, buddy, have a great game Sunday and we'll talk again soon.
Speaker 4: Be well.
Speaker 3: Sounds good, Solny.
Speaker 1: Thanks for having me on, sir.
Speaker 2: Take care. It's a Scott's Loan show. It's the Home of the Best Bengals covered seven hundred WWE sincenet.
Speaker 6: Now a man who has entertainment reporting of coursing through his veins, which makes him a medical offity. He is ABC Will again from New York.
Speaker 1: Will, Good morning, How are you.
Speaker 6: I am doing very well in this countdown to Christmas, the final countdown.
Speaker 7: How are you?
Speaker 1: I'm fine.
Speaker 2: I still haven't realized it's Christmas yet. Are you of the mind, Like, are you surprised Christmas is next week already? Because it feels like it should be about two or three weeks out to me and it's not. It's triving me crazy as to.
Speaker 6: Why no I decorate. I put stuff up like November first. I'm one of those awful people that's like fully in the Christmas spirit before Thanksgiving even happened, So it feels right to me we put.
Speaker 2: Our stuff up earlier before, and still it feels like Christmas should not be next week. I don't know what it is that's the Christmas spirit somehow's missing. And from though the very small sample size of those around me who tolerate me, they will have a conversation with me.
Speaker 3: Will.
Speaker 2: It seems like most people do the same mindset. You're the guy it's in the Christmas spirit though, you're the alph of the conversation.
Speaker 1: I appreciate that.
Speaker 6: Yes, yes, I'm I've got my inner Clark Griswold is always you know, just jonesing for a light display or whatever it might be.
Speaker 3: Yeah, that's me.
Speaker 2: The biggest entertainment story of the week obviously is the shocking murder of Rob Reiner and his wife, and of course we're still feeling the effects of that. I think CBS is putting a special together his life as well, but it just, uh, it was just so surreal when that news broke.
Speaker 1: Unbelievable.
Speaker 6: Yeah, and when you look back at like his legacy, the crazy thing to me is like, you know, a lot of great directors will have a lane, right, Like they will pick a genre and that will be you know, every time there's a Scorsese drama, you know it's going to be, you know, top notch. But with Rob Reiner, it was like every you know, whether it was a like a kid's movie or a coming of age story, or a romance or a fantasy adventure, like he did all of it so so well. Rom com like he was just yeah, like, you know, every single genre, he was at the top of his game. So yeah, that that is of course a devastating loss.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I had an incredible run too as a director, I mean actor as well. He's in so many really good movies and playing a lot of cameos in recent years, most recently as a matter of fact, Saturday night, I was flipping around and I watched Spinal Tap too. It is never going to be as good as the original, but there's some good lines in good comedy and a lot of callbacks.
Speaker 1: But he was in that.
Speaker 2: I'm like, Rob Briner was wearing the same hat and jacket he did in the in Spinal Tap in eighty four, and he still looks pretty good.
Speaker 1: And then the next day we learned he was murdered.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 6: Yeah, and like you know, even like television appearances too, he played Zoe Ditionnel's dad and New Girl, which you know, I think is how a lot of probably millennial television fans might you know, recognize him. So yeah, you're right, like he you know, whether it was directing or acting, he always you know, was just such a force.
Speaker 1: Didn't I just see him in The Bear last season as well?
Speaker 3: Oh man?
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, yeah it was because I have been reckonmember the first mine, like, I think that's Rob Reiner, and sure enough that was, And yeah, he's playing like a I know, a consultant or something like that, and that show should be interesting to see how they treat that next next season of The Bear. Unfortunately, they had just had his hand on a lot of different projects.
Speaker 6: Right right, Yeah, And you know, which is a sign that a lot of different people wanted to work with him, you know, because there's plenty of people, you know, like James Cameron's of the world who you know, have a lot of prestige, but I you know, I think have a different type of reputation, whereas you know, with Rob Reiner, everybody was always wanting to work with him and stuff.
Speaker 3: So it is such a tragedy.
Speaker 1: Horrible, absolutely horrible.
Speaker 2: Moving on Golden Globe, Frontrunner Run Battle after Another is already on HBO Max two weeks ago, is in theaters, and now it's on streaming, you know, and I think that's awesome because I wanted to see it, and now it's already gonna be on HBO Max, which I subscribe to.
Speaker 1: But boy, I'll tell you what.
Speaker 2: You look at it and go, it really feels like it's it's it's a turning point. It's almost and we say over fulfilled theaters. But we just had this conversation last week, there's another example of it.
Speaker 6: Yeah, I mean with this one in particular, coming to streaming today for free. Part of me thinks that they are this is a move to get as many eyeballs on it as possible headed into award season voting. So I think, if you know it is the most nominated at the Golden Globes, if it can walk away from the ceremony as the most awarded, that will bode well for Oscars contention. So part of me thinks that it is like with this movie in particular. Of course, there is a larger conversation to be had about how quickly things are coming to streaming, But this to me feels like, you know, the producers are like, all right, let's let's have as many people watch it as possible, so that way it cleans up the Golden Globes. But it works out in our favor at least, you know, for this week. If you are looking for something to see, you know, watch it home. During this holiday week. One Battle after another is nominated in the comedy categories at the Golden Globes, so it is like a dark comedy. Leyodocaprio is part of like the resistance of you know, a ragtag group of like vigilante thro or fighting back against a little bit of a corrupt government. And Sean Penn is part of that that government, and he is like the bad guy, and he is incredible as a bad guy in this movie. But the action sequences are incredible right off the jumps.
Speaker 3: They're blowing stuff up, they're.
Speaker 6: Escaping in cars and robbing banks and all this kinds of stuff, and it is so fun to watch. There's a love story. There is a story of a father and a daughter that Leodocaprio does very well. And so this movie I think, you know, there's a lot to like there.
Speaker 3: I would not watch it with kids, but it is.
Speaker 6: It is a ton of fun for anyone looking for sort of an action comedy political thriller.
Speaker 5: Over the Over the Break.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it's funny because there was such a polarizing move when he came out. You didn't know what to make of it, if it's an indictment of the current administration or not. And you know, but but you know, Hollywood's always kind of done that to get up interest and to their it worked exactly exactly.
Speaker 6: I loved watching this movie and it surprised me how funny it was too.
Speaker 1: Really good. I've heard a lot about it.
Speaker 2: I didn't hear it was a comedy though, and yeah, I mean it definitely makes me want to watch it more now, so good, I'll have something to do this weekend, you know, real quick.
Speaker 1: Not to be labeled.
Speaker 2: The point on this willgans but bringing it back to the Oscars, because you know, Golden Globes and Awards. ABC just announced they're going to move it to YouTube in twenty twenty nine. Do those award shows care the same way because all this is set up right now. One thing, Now, we're going to put that on streaming, so it's going to get more maybe Golden Globes, and it'll push into more OSCAR consideration. But if we're moving it to streaming, is that just the fact that the demographs of the eyeballs have changed from broadcast TV to the screen in your hand. Does that diminish in any way, shape or form the validity the Oscars and what that means to a filmmaker or a studio as far as revenue goes.
Speaker 3: It's a good question. I don't think so.
Speaker 6: I think that this is just the state of broadcast television, So, you know, I I think a network like ABC is probably like, all right, where do we want to be spending our you know, half a billion dollar you know whatever contract. So I think it has less to do with you know, I don't think the impact is going to be that the the prestige of the Oscar dips it all. I think it still matters, but I think that it moving to YouTube is really just a sign of like where people are watching their TV, as opposed to like, how much do we still care about the Oscars? I think Hollywood still desperately cares about the Oscar.
Speaker 2: Let's pivot to more small screen stuff here Stranger things is what is that?
Speaker 1: Does that drop?
Speaker 7: New Year?
Speaker 1: When does that drop?
Speaker 5: Boats?
Speaker 6: So Christmas Day is part two and then the final final episode is New Year's Eve. And so when part one of this season dropped on Thanksgiving, it broke the record as Netflix's most watched English language TV debut of all time, and it ended with a you know, a really awesome sort of cliffhanger, and we picked back up on Christmas Day right in the moments after that that cliffhanger. So I think a lot of eyes will be on it as we sort of bid farewell to this record breaking show that you know, we've been with for a decade and watching these kids grow up and all that stuff. So Christmas Day at eight pm is when part two of the final season will drop.
Speaker 1: Gotcha, all right, got time for one more thing? Well, what are you got?
Speaker 6: Emily in Paris season five, So this is on the other end of the spectrum from the first two.
Speaker 3: This is sugary sweet.
Speaker 6: It's like, you know, eating a box of chocolate. It's like, is it going to fill you and sustain you? Probably not, but it's a ton of fun while it's happening. And this is Lily Collins, who's Phil Collins' daughter, plays the lead. That the guy who created the show is the same guy who did Sex and the City, So it's that kind of vibe. Fun. Performance, is incredible costuming, beautiful scenery and stuff. They're in Rome this season, so a lot of fun, not a lot of brain power required to enjoy this.
Speaker 5: This Emily in Paris season.
Speaker 2: Five, Well, so I'm out because it's Emily in Paris. But that doesn't make any sense.
Speaker 6: Well, you know, you gotta pulled in the hoos were so wind up next season she could becoming a Cincy.
Speaker 1: I don't know Emily and Cincy.
Speaker 2: That'll be good anyway. Well, Gans appreciate you, buddy. We'll talk again in the new year. Merry Christmas, Happy New Year. We'll see any other side.
Speaker 3: Happy holidays.
Speaker 1: Hello, best to you, buddy. Thanks again.
Speaker 2: It's a Scott's Loan Show and we've got news on the way in just minutes.
Speaker 1: Quick time out. More to follow, seven hundred.
Speaker 2: If you went to the Bengals Freezer Bowl Part two last week and are going to the Miami game this week, you may just shrivel up and die. I don't know how your body goes from sub zero temperatures to mid eighties in Miami, but good luck with that. Good luck, and I guess maybe if you're planning that along, you look forward to it going. I'm freezing right now, but next week I'm gonna be warm af no doubt about it. He's on the way in just about four minutes here on seven hundred w W Scott's Loan Show. I'll tell you what you know. Obviously, we live in very arising political times, but I gotta give you, gotta give you credit. Whoever is writing for the White House I don't know if it's people from the Onion, the Babylon Bee folks. Maybe I don't know the old Weekly World News back when grocery store tabloids were a thing. But whoever's writing for the White it's so good because just this week we're talking about all right, President comes out and makes the Rob Reiner assassinate well Rob Brander murder should say sassam Rob right and murder about him, like, I don't know how you do that, but did it. And I'm saying it's like, I don't know how you continue to top yourself in an age where it's awfully difficult to do that because you just can't. You just can't keep doing stuff and go Wow, that that's gonna get headlines or that's gonna upset people. And I think he's deliberately twisted the knife and a lot of this stuff for sure, especially this one. The news today about Trump is going to rename the Kennedy Center the Trump Kennedy Center, not the Kennedy Trump Center, the Trump Kennedy Center.
Speaker 1: And he said it's a big show. The game is a big surprise to me.
Speaker 2: Well, you know, you clean the board out and you put all your handpicked people on there. How big a surprise can it be? You know, it's like when you know some of these teapot nations where they have an election one hundred percent of the people voted for the guy who's been in power for the last thirty years. Same same kind of thing. I know, there are a lot of people that are upset by this and they're gnashing their teeth and I mean, it's the Kennedy Center.
Speaker 1: Okay, it's the Trump Kennedy Center. Now.
Speaker 2: It's kind of like, you know, the Gulf of America and how many people that have set it's just trolla now.
Speaker 1: It's and that to me, that's funny.
Speaker 2: Every day every day there's something that comes out and you go, wow, you continue to top yourself. I don't think that's possible. What is tomorrow going to bring? And maybe that's what it feels like because of all this polarization and anks that you know, it feels like the last year has been about four years, like, oh, yeah, we got a presidential election next year. No, we're just one year in. Like you continue to sp yourself every day. It's absolutely it's an incredible thing to watch. I don't think you're ever going to see this again in your lifetime, love it or hate it.
Speaker 1: I think that's a fact.
Speaker 2: Anyway, real quick here on the news of the Brown US for a shooter, I think, quite honestly, it is and we know this.
Speaker 1: I think in the future.
Speaker 2: It's going to be damn near impossible to get away with crime. I'm not saying crime is going away and that you know people aren't going to get away with stuff. It's gonna but man, it's it's like, for example, how they caught the Brown University shooter. This Valente guy forty eight years old. They found him dead from a self inflicted gunshot wound and a storage facility storage locker, New Hampshire. This is the guy who killed MIT professor and MIT professor and looked like you got away because the only images we saw were from that static telephone pole camera and you really couldn't make out who it was. There's a little bit of a face there, but you know, they're trying to analyze the gait and things like that, and so people are not putting stones in their shoes to throw the him off, throw us goods because they actually you know it's AI. It'll tell you pick up your gate pattern and then go through other videos to try and find someone who's walk matches at So he was caught. This is fascinating. He gets away, he takes a car. Investigtors identified the vehicle that he had rented and drove from Boston to Brown University then back to Boston, and the person who really broke this up when was posting on Reddit about the suspect's car. He told the investigators he first encountered in the bathroom in the school building about two hours for his shot, and he told investigators he recalled that the clothing was well very inadequate for the winter weather in Boston, and so then followed the suspect to a gray Nissan Center with Florida tags and that the suspect us a key fob to unlock it, then walked away and then took a left down the street. So he ran after the suspect and caught up to them and asked them, your car is back there, why are you circling back? And the guy said, I don't know you from nobody, why are you rang me? And then he ran away and they put this up on Reddit and then found the guy that's incredible. Like the other thing is too. If you saw someone who was underdressed with the weather in a bathroom, why would you follow them? I think there's got to be more to that story, like why would you go and trade track this person unless you just had that really weird sixth sense that you thought he was up to no good.
Speaker 8: I don't know.
Speaker 2: It's a crazy story for sure, but at least there's some closure there, certainly for the Family Scott Flung show. It's the Hall of the Best Bengals coverage seven hundred wwe Cincnati don't.
Speaker 9: Want to be an American?
Speaker 3: All right?
Speaker 2: Winding it down for twenty twenty five here on this Friday morning. I'm back for a couple days next week in maybe y' or not so enjoy if maybe this was the last time you get to listen to the show for the week, couple of weeks. Anyway, it's that time of the year. It's that time of the year. There's something that I've been involved with now for a few weeks. I think it's I love tech, I love fascinating things. I love things that change people's lives for the better, because God knows we need more of those stories and not fewer. And I love to highlight those kinds of things. And so you may hear may have heard me talking about the tech r n D one for those who have a mobility disability. So if you're in a wheelchair, maybe you have trouble standing or walking. You know, typically one is you look at it and go, my god, the rest of my life I'm being a wheelchair or I need a wheelchair to get around or move from point A to point B. For a lot of people, the older we are, the longer we live. That's true, but it's also true for people who suffer spinal injuries and the like. Veterans come to mind. And for a long time it's been you know, you get in a chair. You see people parking at grocery store and wherever in a handicapped spot and they have the van or a vehicle and they've got to get the cart off the back and get in it, and everything of course is you know, not at eye level, and you go to a grocery store in one of those scooters and it's tough to get stuff off the top shelf. This thing is going to change so many lives, and that's why I'm so happy to speak for my buddy Dave Bachrath for a rebound mobility dot Com. Dave, welcome and study this morning.
Speaker 4: How are you hey, Thanks Scott, and Merry Christmas to ya. I app sure you have me.
Speaker 6: Yes.
Speaker 2: I wanted to because I wanted to highlight this a little more simply because it's such a game changer. This is such an incredible development. I think for people with disabilities, our veterans come to mind, but anyone for that man, as you get older, you know, it's tough for my My father in law has difficulty getting up and getting down, and this could absolutely change so many lives.
Speaker 1: Uh describe describe how it works with the device?
Speaker 6: Is?
Speaker 4: Yeah, exactly. It's just so I've been in medical devices mobility devices for thirty years and this is the most revolutionary, game changing and rewarding product that I've ever represented because it literally changes people's lives. And I see it firsthand in their in their eyes and their family members tears when they're able to stand up the way it works. And and and also no nobody knows about this device. It really was launched in effect this year. It's been on the market before that, but very very quietly. So it is a is not a power chair. It actually so it's a robotic mobility device that you do not need your legs strength at all, any muscles or even legs at all. I have a w MPT and a single empte getting one, and I list them up to eye level like you see them up. You sit in a in the seat which is like a sling and it's almost like a window washers rig. It's a it's a well strong, padded very uh yative right swing and it has a very powerful hydraulic lift. So this seat, these two pins drop in it and then you're able to lift yourself up in be and be supportive uh in the seat itself. And then you get all the way up to eye level or whatever level you're comfortable at. And if you want to bear weight, you can bear weight to help with your bone density, and you're able to be at eye level again. And I've seen people stand for the first time in decades, and and it's amazing. There's there's a lot of misnomers about it that people just think, like, well, but but I have I have fall of risk issues. You can't fall in this. You're you're up two and fifty pounds. It's solid you. I've tried to tip it over myself and you can't. So people that that's one thing that people don't know about. They also don't know that it can be covered by insurance. It's on contract with Blue Cross, Blue Shield and we can get it covered with most providers. And it's kind of a critical time this year because we have eleven days left if deductibles are met for the price for the private insurances. But but it's an amazing device that lets you move about your home, reach work around in your kitchen. And the physiological benefits are you know, truly the reason if people are sitting, you know that you're going to have your circuit regulated, improve bowel and blacker fraction and all those benefits. But the biggest one is the mental health. Is the psychological part of being able to be upright again and look and have people eye to eye conversations.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it's the thing.
Speaker 2: It's because so this pad slips under you and it's really easy to get in a k nod of so you're sitting, Let's say you're in a chair. You can't move, you know, we use your legs, So the pad you'd slide it under your butt sort of and the s and it's soft, and then you press a button and it actually picks you up from your bottom and stands you up, and then the front of your shins would stand against these pads on the device, So it looks like a smaller, a narrower version of one of the carts you'd get a grocery store, bad rapid card, a ego car to whatever those are. Only this thing lifts you up and stands and then if you need to sit back down, you press a button and it sits you down. You take the pad off, and which means you can, you know, because it's narrow, and that's a problem. Some of the wider chairs are difficult to get in a NOD. But you can actually use the bathroom yourself if you're in a chair or you know, I said mentioned go to the grocery store and actually stand up at eye level and pick things off the shelf yourself.
Speaker 1: Like it's so incredible.
Speaker 4: The independence for bathroom functions to me is just it's huge because it's the narrowest profile you can get, like nineteen inches wide, and you're it spins around sixty So even in a small bathroom. You're able to manage and drop yourself down and then move that seat and then get yourself back up independently versus having a caregiver family member help.
Speaker 2: Yeah, because in the past, you know, you'd have to the restrooms and narrow doors, right, and an eighty compliance is thirty six inches. Well, you know there's thirty inch doors out there. This thing fits very easily. You can get in a stall and take care of yourself, right. It gives you a good and that's the mental health advantage. You don't need to depend on someone else, especially for veterans that are used to, you know, doing things themselves and being on their own and being independent.
Speaker 4: Right, It's yeah, you can be and you can do that independently, and it is covered by the VA, and the veterans won't know don't know that, the veteran providers don't know that. So it's incumbent upon the person finding this out. And that's where you know, I walk them through all the processes. And that's the biggest thing is like, don't try to figure it out yourself. You've got to use me to get you through the proper processes, whether it's through the VA, G O d it's covered you know, trike care, trike Care for life, and and also just individuals with their own insurance and and even seniors. I've had an eighty two year old veteran and he he got in it and learned it no problem, was driving around in it. And he's like, I want this because I can't take outside walks with my family and I want to keep you know, I have to stay back, and so I want to be able to go on a bike path or walking and walking.
Speaker 1: How does that work with taking that outside?
Speaker 2: Because Mark Musselo's chairs, you know, you look at it, go, well, that's for pavement only.
Speaker 1: You can't go into grass or I mean a beach or something like.
Speaker 4: That, right, And that's that's where the outdoor kit comes in. So we have an outdoor kit which is like big knobby tires, and it switches out from the indoor kit fairly easily. You can do it. Even the person in the chair can do it within five minutes.
Speaker 3: Wow.
Speaker 4: And you have these extra large tires and an extra large tail that you just just with a drop pin you take that in and out and boom you can go on you know, gravel, your grass, a beach you know, get to a like a you know cs a Key where it's hard packed beach and you can get to that and be able to and you can travel with this because it's it's a dry cell battery, so it goes on planes just like your regular mobility equipment. No extra charge for luggage or anything. They just the carget stores in the cargo hold and you can take it down to cis Key and and wheel around on the beach with your family with it.
Speaker 1: That's wild, That's it.
Speaker 2: I mean, I imagine that in the first time in years, people are in a wheelchair and all of a sudden, like I you know, I'm a beach person, I'm a surf and you can actually go and dip your your your hands, your legs into the water. It's that's incredible. You couldn't do that before. Dave Mancreth is here. It's Rebound Mobility dot com. I've been talking about this one of our partners here on the Scott Sloan Show about how and I often do this because I think there is such a special innovative thing.
Speaker 1: It's going to change so many lives. I think it's going to be one of those.
Speaker 2: You have a sense and not just because you're in a day that it's it's gonna be one of those things that in years people go wow. You know remember wheelchairs and the way you kind of like iron lungs back in the day with poli. You know, we don't have those machines anymore. Now you have these devices where you can stand literally stand up and be mobile like you did when your your legs your appendages worked.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I see where we're going to be. You could be seeing these around quite often right now, you know, you don't see them out ry new. It's brand new, and again nobody knows about it. We do have a veterans site for our veterans dot org for a veterans dot org if the veterans, but they can also use the Rebound Mobility site and that that allows you to see information and then and my contact information is on there nine three seven seven seven six seventy eight oh will seventy eight oh one for a direct contact and that's you know, twenty four to seven. You can text or call that number for more information.
Speaker 8: And how long does it take to get one of these units if you ordered one, it takes if if you're ordering and going through the insurance process and even all the veterans processes can take thirty to sixty days.
Speaker 4: But some people who can do a self pay and can they can pay for it and then work through their insurance and get that money back to their insurance so they don't have to wait, so they can have it within two weeks if they're going to just they want to put it on AMEX, get their points for whatever right, and then then they can have the receipt and then they work through and help us. So we have an insurance team they will help us battle to get that insures coverage, which most of the time they do. It's a pretty high rate of success, especially when the patient gets involved and so they get that check remburse and then and a lot of people do that, they put it on a credit card. The company Matiam Mobility also has a couple of financing options.
Speaker 2: Is there are they made where they made where manufacturing Salt Lake City?
Speaker 1: Oh wow, they made the US. They're made in the US, so you can get him here in a couple of weeks.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 4: Yeah, they they're they're all in they're customized, so we you are not. They're they're custom built for that person's size. So there's measurements that I take or make sure they're taken by a provider like a pt O T and so it fits and it hits you in the right part of your body anywhere, right, anywhere from a four foot seven person. I have eleven year old muscular disc free kid getting his delivering it to him on Christmas. So it's going to be a Christmas present. Yeah, eleven year old mustard disc fee. He can't wait and he tools around on it like like he's had it forever.
Speaker 2: When I did, Oh, I demoed one, and it's like, you know, within a couple of minutes, you kind of get used to the controls.
Speaker 1: It's it's really cool. And it was like the battery in this thing last how long.
Speaker 4: A full day? Nine miles that's a lot. Yeah, so you can go you can go cruise around on a full charge, you know, on a bike path or outside or on a beach for quite a while. So the charge and it only takes about two three hours to get up to a full charge. Yeah, it's it is again just so rewarding to to see I haven't I haven't actually done an in person demo with someone who didn't get the unit or didn't start to process to get the unit, and so that's something and I offer too because you're looking if it's something you could just buy online, we'd put on Amazon, and or.
Speaker 2: Because it has to be custom and custal insurance and everything else too. But yeah, I mean if you know someone a neighbor, friend, family, me or co or whoever, it is a good benefit from this that so I wanted to have you on and get the word out because I really think this is this is one of those devices. Once in a while, something comes along that absolutely changes people's lives for the better. And in the age we're living longer, maybe not better, but longer, it's incumbent to get the word out I think for stuff like this, going hey, this is going to improve your mental health, which is a huge component. But physically you mentioned bone density, bowels, all that stuff. I mean, imagine you know, you have your house. Let's say you're in a chair and everything's built for people who stand up, you know, cupboards, cabinets, refrigerators, and you with so much in life because you're seated, and now you don't have to change all that. You can actually stand up in your house and get things off the top shelf like you used to, and the machine does it all and you're able to navigate your hallways and stay in your own house. I mean the past people to have to move to assisted living or something like that. This keeps people in our houses longer, whether it's veterans or people with disabilities, but also seniors too. I think you're going to see more people who their legs work. But you know, I mean the older we get, the longer we live, it's going to be harder to get around.
Speaker 1: This is for them.
Speaker 4: Right in the and the seniors now are just more active seniors, you know, wanting to be outside, wanting to be independent, and and this you know, will allow them to you know, stay that way and you know, take the outside, get to the fresh air, take a walk.
Speaker 3: You know.
Speaker 4: I you can avoid the home rebuilds on that. But I even have someone getting one that had the home rebuild done, but he's getting it for the outdoors part of it the package. So he saw that there's enough benefit in that. So it's going to be you know, there's gonna be something for everybody that maybe if they're they've lost mobility, maybe they can walk a little bit, but they just can't go very far. It's going to help them with that. And we're also partnered with uh Tie Bradshaw with the knuxs All Foundation, where we're doing for people who here and refer uh a patient. It doesn't have to be for yourself, but a referral a two thousand dollars donation to the knuxts All Foundation because they're dealing with disabilities, and they're trying to build that indoor center, right so.
Speaker 1: Oh good love to sell the community with that. That's amazing. So yeah, portion proceeds go there as well.
Speaker 2: And I know that, you know, we've we hit the veterans thing too, and I want to say that, you know, as we get the word out about this, this game changer. Steve Bolso is my buddy. He comes in once a month from Claremont County for our veterans services. And I was talking to him. I'm like, hey, I showed, I showed him a video and you know, showed and he was he was over the top excited to spread the word to veterans because I know a handful of people already that would jump at the chance for something like this. So you know, you get the word out there, especially to our veterans in the VA and you know the v AL take careful pay for it. That that's gonna be great for veterans and and anyone else listening for that matter. So again, the website is Rebound will Ability dot com, Rebound Mobility dot com. Dave Bachrath and Matt McCool is a Cincinnati represents. Due to this morning, uh doesn't speak at all. He's uh, which is really unusual for somebody in sales, but nonetheless he uh. It really is called I'm so happy to be working with your partner with just to spread the word about this and it really is going to change somebody live share in the Tri State and the rest of the country. And this can be one of those products that are featured in the future. Is a turning point when it comes to helping people with disabilities navigate life.
Speaker 1: They appreciate it. Thanks again for coming in, Thanks for having me all right.
Speaker 2: All of those against Rebound Mobility dot Com is the website if you want to check that out. And maybe not someone in your family, but we all know someone who may have a friend of family member, neighbor, the son of a coworker, the daughter of a someone he went to school with, and go, man, I wonder if they know about this and maybe share that link with them at rebound mobility dot com. Anyway, I got to get a time out in News on the way. In just minutes, Austin jumps in. We talk about the Bengals in Miami, A fruitless effort. What the hell are they playing for? Well, it's sunny weather, so at least you get to go and then enjoy that as well. Who should have remain on the Bengals for twenty twenty six is the question? Maybe they'll be somewhat answered in Sunday's game. Talk to Austin about that and more coming up next on seven hundred WW. Here we go, It's Friday morning, Scott Sloan. Last segment with this guy for the twenty twenty five campaign for sure, Who knows, maybe the last segment forever. We just we don't know. It's week to week. Much like a NFL player at this time of year, it's week to week. Austin Elmosey, our buddy from ESPN fifteen thirty. He and Tony Pike at noon today on said station, shoppable sports head of the weekend here too, and we begin with what what.
Speaker 1: Do we should what should we begin with?
Speaker 10: I don't know, how about the last ten days fourteen days have felt like three months, really, yeah, especially when you look at it through the eyes and lens of the Bengals.
Speaker 2: Well we begin there, of course, two Bengals at Miami this weekend, going from subzero temperatures to mid eighties. There's that shock as well. And I guess one may ask, Okay, three games left, we want to run the table, we want an grede. It's just auditioning guys for next year, right, I asked, This is a Dan horde. I'll ask it of you outside of a handful of players, now, I'll be generous Here, DJ Turner obviously, Here i'd say bj Hill, Miles Murphy turned a corner. It looks seems like anyway, Jamar Stewart's a rookie, banged up rookie at that missed a bunch of games. Small sample size there. But outside of those guys, or maybe you disagree with any of those who comes back next year, who do you build around?
Speaker 1: It's a great question.
Speaker 10: I don't know that there are you know, I feel like there's been minimal improvement from Demetrius Knight Junior over the course of the last six or seven weeks. Barrett Carter hasn't been as atrocious as he was at the beginning, but that's still a really very low bar. I think they're going to have to revisit the linebacker position, both in free agency and in the draft. Jordan Battle I like, and I think there's a role for Jordan Battle, but I don't that there's a role for Jordan Battle when he's playing next to the worst safety in the NFL and with other guys on the team that on the defense that that aren't as good. I think you can live with Jordan when there are better players around him, not when he's being forced to do as much. So I think there are a couple of guys, but I think there's one or two shoe ins, and that would be DJ Turner and obviously Shamar Stewart, just because he's played so little. It's it's way too early, and I think Miles Murphy has done enough to justify being something now. The other one you could take a look at is Joseph Osai, who for two years in a row has kind of been up into the right and he's probably going to be looking at a fifteen to sixteen million dollars deal on the open market. Is that something you'd be willing to invest in, assuming you're not going to be bringing Trey Hendrickson back, And that's ultimately is I don't know if.
Speaker 1: It is a four conclusion.
Speaker 10: I think that's going to be another conversation that crops up in again in the stream. It's possible, Yeah, it's possible. I don't know right now. I don't like posible right now. I don't think it's it's likely, but I do think it's possible. Okay, And if they were to do something like that, would that would be the first indicator that they have no idea what they're doing this offseason.
Speaker 1: Well, we'll just run it back, which they're good at doing.
Speaker 2: And you mentioned, okay, we're gonna get some guys in the draft that's not gone well for them defensively.
Speaker 10: Yeah, I mean, the plan on paper has been we are going to spend our top one hundred draft picks on young defenders and develop them. Well, it just now has started to click for Miles Murphy. It hasn't really clicked for anyone else other than DJ Turner, and you cannot wait that long for it to click for these guys. It's not clicking for Carter, it's not clicking for Night, it's not clicking for for Dax Hill. He's been okay, but still not entirely clicking for him, and he's coming off knee injury.
Speaker 4: I get it.
Speaker 10: So they're gonna have to supplement that defense with guys in free agency, veteran presence, guys that it might be looking for a mid level second contract much it's like they got Trey Hendrickson on in that twenty twenty one offseason. I think that's the type of player they're gonna have to be looking for again this year to help those young players develop as well.
Speaker 1: Yeah, Austin, I look at that. Go okay, well, we'll fix the defense.
Speaker 2: Offense obviously set for the for the short to medium term here with the arguably the best receiver quarterback combination of the National Football League, and it's a crime that you can't go to the playoffs and win with with with that, do you think this is like a turning point now for the franchise when it seems like we've had a lot of turning points and sense that Okay, you've got Joe Burrow his prime right now, you're not gonna make the playoffs for the third straight year. At this point, you're going to I don't know, at this point a lot of teams would have moved on from Zach Taytlor and maybe Duke Tobin and that's still a possibility. And you know, Bengals are not going to pay a guy not to participate. We know the history of that. That to me seems like that's not really fan friendly. The seatgate plays into that a little bit, but there seems to be in here in Cincinnati. Every time you have a micro tran aggression like that were then cleaning the seats off. It's amplified tenfold because of the stereotype that the team is cheap, and you can make a case that they are. That's not a good look for them if they don't hit it out of the park they do you think they realized just what's at stake here for there.
Speaker 10: The way I described it yesterday on the show is that they are at a crossroads. But they've been at this intersection before many times, and the best way to describe it, and most I think only once really is the season following Burrow's rookie year, so they had just gotten out of COVID. Burrow had a season ending injury. They won four games. Now they won two of those last three games. They didn't really matter, but we always point towards that Steelers game that season as a turning point for a culture building win. And that off season they had about sixty million dollars to spend. They signed Cheeahay Woozier, Trey Hendrickson, Mike Hilton, Larry Ogunjobi Riley, reef Eli Apple, They traded for bj Hill, they extended Sam Hubbard. They made all the right moves that offseason and built that into a team in twenty twenty one that went to.
Speaker 1: The Super Bowl.
Speaker 10: This year, they have sixty million dollars in cap space. Actually a little bit more, especially if you do some veteran cuts, you could be looking at eighty million. That's more than enough to go after and aggressively pursue a draft class or a free agent class that can fill a lot of the same needs that you had just a few years ago in twenty twenty one. Now, I'm not saying they're gonna go back to the Super Bowl.
Speaker 2: Last time he did. But the point was the last time he did it, he would have the Super Bowl. Yeah, why is it?
Speaker 10: The point is, like, you know you can do that, and so you sign those guys for three or four year deals and then the plan is get young players in there and surround them so that you can kind of keep repeating it. The draft has failed them. So if your draft strategy hasn't changed, and if it should, but you now have. And I know we all want to talk crap about the way the Bengals do contracts, but they have set themselves up very nicely to where they have very little dead cap and they have a ton of cap space even though they've signed Joe Burrow and Jamar Chase and t Higgins the long term extensions. One of the biggest narratives out there that is complete one hundred percent BS is that the Bengals don't have money to spend because they sign those players to deals.
Speaker 1: That's not true. They have plenty of money.
Speaker 10: And if Joe Burrow restructures this deal like most quarterbacks do, that can jump even further right away. Okay, so they've done it before. The plan is right there in front of them. I don't expect them to hit on every single free agent that they signed. No team does, and the Bengals have had their share of misses over the last couple of years, guys like Sheldon Rankins for example, last year. But the culture was certainly affected by those wins at the end of twenty twenty going into twenty twenty one. But it was really curated in free agency that offseason. They can do this. They've done it before, They're going to have to do it again. I have no choice.
Speaker 2: And if they can't pull this off and we sit there a year from now Austin have the same conversation, what then.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it's it's a good question.
Speaker 10: I think you would probably see the end of Zach Taylor, and I think it would be a very very loud.
Speaker 2: I wouldn't be surprised if Joe Burrow said it would be a very loud outcry from the locker room and specifically Joe. I don't think that Joe right now is in danger of leaving. I don't think anything he said over the last couple of weeks is I don't like Zach, I don't like Mike Brown, I don't like being here. I think it is frustration with the fact that there hasn't been enough growth over the last couple of years, and he hasn't felt like he has any control over it because of the injury that he had this year, right, right, And that's the other key is keeping him healthy and is the big question for next season. We can't do this every year where he's down for a number of games. And you know, we've had that track record where yeah.
Speaker 10: Again, if you go back, like the twenty one and twenty two seasons were really really good, and the twenty two team was really good. But you go to twenty three and I think Zach and it mostly got a pass because Burrow had that freak injury. They were pretty good at the time, but he had that freak injury. Okay, you missed the playoffs, but they were still right there and it was close. Twenty twenty four, there's no excuse. I mean, the best season ever by a Bengals quarterbacks and the defense just leitm And this offseason the Bengals said, oh, we just got unlucky.
Speaker 1: We'll get better this year.
Speaker 3: Well.
Speaker 10: The other thing too, is they said that it's Louis at Rumo's fault and we're gonna develop these young players. Okay, so Sam Hubbard's not taking snaps anymore, Von Bell's not taking snaps. Jermaine Pratt's not taking snaps. Logan Wilson's not taking snaps. They got rid of all those veteran guys to bring in the young dudes, and it got worse. And so clearly you can't go blame the defensive coordinator. Again, you can't blame the head coach, especially if you're gonna sign him to an extension and he staw has two years left on his deal. It's not Joe Burrow's fault. The injuries was kind of a freak thing. It falls on the organization to say, Okay, we can't just rely on the draft anymore. We've got to go spend some money and fix this right. And you wonder if they hear that, If that's heard or not, we'll find out here. And sure, of course, also going after free agent, to which they've been reluctant to do that. One time they did it is they got success. I don't know why you wouldn't do more of that.
Speaker 4: Well, they've they've spent money.
Speaker 10: They've spent a lot of money in free agency over the last couple of years, they haven't hit on them as much, but they haven't been as aggressive because they have been counting on those young players. Right, And now that you are able to call a space a spade on a lot of those guys you just mentioned it to me, clarifies what the plan should be moving forward. And you know the other thing that's interesting about that twenty twenty Following the twenty twenty season, going into twenty one, they had sixty million dollars to spend. They ended up spending fifty six and a half of it, so they had like three point eight million dollars in cap space. That was like an aggressive spend by the Bengals. They can do that again. I hope they do.
Speaker 2: Yeah, all right, we'll find out again Sunday. It's in Miami. No Tua, by the way, he has been benched in favor.
Speaker 1: Unfortunate. Unfortunate for the Bengals. You know, I look at it.
Speaker 2: I was asking Dan about this too, and said, I know, I'd rather have two in there one more game, because you know what you're getting with him.
Speaker 1: You know, now you got a rookie with something to prove. A seventh I.
Speaker 10: Mean, they both probably stink, but at least you know what to it is. I mean, they don't call it to it turned the ball over for no reason?
Speaker 1: Fifteen.
Speaker 2: Yeah, he's terrible. It's awful. Talk about a guy went off the rails there. They also cut Matthew Judon. They're an evaluation man. Yeah, all the Bengals are too. Two teams looking to evaluate.
Speaker 10: But do you where do you stand on tank for a draft pick and try to win football games? I don't think you do it. I just I don't think you do either. I don't think unless you're tanking for a quarterback, it doesn't matter. Yeah, I mean if it comes down the last game, all right. And I have not like, like dove into all the draft picks yet, but I don't think there's a huge difference in the type of player you get between pick number eight and pick number sixteen this year.
Speaker 2: If you tried to get Joe Burrow back in the lineup for a season, that's a wash. Yeah, why would you do that if you also want to? We also know that the final three games matter, you know if Paul Danner Junior wrote about that this week. With the extension at Zach Taylor, and there's a history of the final games of the season matter for this organization. So as far as I'm concerned, if you want to say that you have a standard and you want to uphold that standard, winning matters, and winning and culture building wins even against teams that may not be as competitive, matter, and I think it matters to people like Joe Burrow, and I think it matters to Zach Taylor.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it's a different field this year for sure. I mean, last week watched Pat Mahomes go down with a season ending injury. Man maybe back when the start of next season, depending on the saverat of it. And now there's rumors again as there as everyone with Travis Kelsey maybe retiring. It feels like it's over for Casey. Yeah, it does. I mean I don't.
Speaker 10: And they go into the next offseason I think forty four million dollars over the cap, so they're gonna have to make some tough decisions. They're gonna probably cut Jawan Taylor, Mahomes will probably restructure his deal, but there's gonna be some guys that are walking away from that football team, and they're gonna have to rebuild through the draft, and they're gonna have to get creative and free in the CAP's gonna go up. They'll get some relief and that's gonna help happen for the Bengals as well. So yeah, I mean it's a transitional time. I'm for a lot of teams in the AFC. I think Houston's going to take another step forward next year. I think Jacksonville's going to take another step forward next year. Browns Houston might take a step back. Who knows what the Browns. But like Buffalo, I mean, you guys have been talking about this. This is like there's a lot of pressure on Buffalo right now because of the way the AFC is lined up, and it's difficult to keep getting back there every year it is, and so this is a this is a critical star.
Speaker 2: It feels like is well, I don't know who's in worse shape. I mean case he wasn't in it, but the injury at Green Bay with Michael Parsons, I think it is bigger than losing Pat Mahomes. I agree in that regard. Hey, real quick, we did not get College Schwarber, but the next best thing we got a left handed reliever in Caleb Fergus.
Speaker 10: Yeah, and thank god he's from Ohio. That was the funniest thing I've ever seen their home homegrownd guy. Yeah, it's like, hey, we not signing anybody, but we got this cat from Columbus.
Speaker 1: Most Reds thing ever. Hell yeah, that's fifteen more tickets game.
Speaker 2: You did need some somebody in that position for sure, but no fix like the middle of your lineup.
Speaker 10: You know what's crazy about about the relief market, even going back to the trade deadline last year, is relievers are getting ridiculous contracts, ridiculous money. Relievers are the most important part of any team. The Reds really didn't have a matchup lefty. They didn't really have that last year. Taylor Rodgers didn't work out. Brent Souter was more of a long guy, and so they needed a lefty. So they're gonna bring back Sam Mall, which they got him for the cheap and hopefully he has a bounce back season. Wasn't fully healthy last year. And then you've got a guy like Caleb Ferguson, who pitched pretty well last year as one of those specific matchup lefties that you bring in for certain hitters to face guys like Kyle Schwarburn. The Reds needed it, they got it. I think they paid a little bit more than anybody expected them for it, and I don't know that they have much money in their eyes to spend, even though that's a bunch of hogwash, but that's where they stand it.
Speaker 1: And my thing, and you know this, we've talked.
Speaker 10: This team is going to try to run it back with the same group they did last year and say, well, Matt McLean will be better and so and so it'll be better. It's all nonsense and it's no way to run a business and try to win baseball games.
Speaker 1: But that's what they're gonna do.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I again, when you've just signed resigned Meili Pagan for two yours, so well, yeah, that's a year deal, but probably a little that's awesome, you got.
Speaker 1: I think they got about ten million left to play with them.
Speaker 4: I don't think so.
Speaker 10: They going into signing Caleb Ferguson it was five to ten million and they just signed him for five done, So I don't expect much unless they're gonna trade Brady Singer or Gavin Lux or somebody like that to try to free up ten or fifteen million dollars.
Speaker 4: I don't see it.
Speaker 6: Happened.
Speaker 3: All right.
Speaker 2: Finally, why is it that college football coaches apparently can't keep it in their pants?
Speaker 3: Yeah?
Speaker 2: The Sharon marthing and now Brian Smith at Ohio Tom Brunneman School, not the Ohio State University, but the Ohio University.
Speaker 6: Yeah.
Speaker 1: Uh, I mean, what are you thinking? You know, I just I don't.
Speaker 10: I have a lot of thoughts on this, but as much of it I can't say on the radio undergraduates. So it's you know, there's there's an old saying out there that that certain things are undefeated.
Speaker 1: That's true, certain things are undefeated.
Speaker 10: I just I feel Actually, our guy Moegar brought up a good point on his Twitter page last night. You know, college football coaches often are not afraid to tell you how hard they work and how they sleep in their office right, how they never see their families. Well, it seems like these guys are finding time to do other things.
Speaker 1: I'm recruiting. Yeah, I'm just recruiting. I thought that was it. I will leave it. I'll take it ball, Go FUS Cincinnati.
Speaker 2: I thought that was a good perspective. Go FUS Cincinnati Audio and leave it on this note. In the words of Cincinnati favorite Charlie Sheen, Okay, why do you why do you pay prostitutes. I don't pay prostitutes to have sex with I pay them to go away. And the immortal horns at Charlie Sheen, no true. Where do you think about that? Go huh and the immortal words of Sharon I pay them to go away. Austin Almore New Today with Tony Pike Tapike talking all football and stuff.
Speaker 1: Thanks again by Friday Football Frenzy.
Speaker 3: Baby.
Speaker 2: Been a fun year man. Thanks for contributing. I appreciate you. We'll talk again in the first year. Sloony seven hundred WW Cincinnati American. It's Scott a Funk show on seven hundred W LW. It is Ohio Senate built two ninety three, and that's going to set new restrictions for absentee balloting voting in Ohio. Number of things, a climate, improves efficiency, voter confidence, and it would basically what happens in Ohio four days after election day to have your vote counted.
Speaker 1: This would change that.
Speaker 2: I think thirty seven other states I believe have that right now, where if the ballot is not received at the Board of Elections by election day itself, it's it's invalid and that is part of set up built two ninety three.
Speaker 1: Sit on the government's test right now.
Speaker 2: Ken Kuchinelli's a former Trump's staffer and former Attorney General of Virginia and he's with the Election Transparency Initiative. Joins the show this morning. Ken, how are you.
Speaker 5: I'm doing well. I'll be even better if the governor signed.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 2: I kind of glazed over it there. But what else would this include?
Speaker 6: What?
Speaker 2: I guess let's start with this. What is the what's the reason why we need this?
Speaker 5: Well, for one, particularly as the postal service, it's worse and worse instead of better and better. The logic of ending elections on election day becomes clearer and clearer. You know, you can go back twenty years to Jimmy Carter and James Baker. They had a bipartisan commission that they found that the most the form of voting, most subject of fraud and problems was mail in voting. And if you cut it off on election day, not only do you find out who won your elections on election day instead of the having the four day waiting period in which so much conspiracy theories take place from both sides. By the way, that you also have voters whose ballots are showing up earlier who if they make mistakes, can actually cure them. You can't cure a mistake after election day. You can only cure it before election day. So this would also lead to fixing more mistakenly cast ballots, something that doesn't get talked about very much. And as you noted, it's thirty four other states that really end elections on election day and at Election Transparency Initiative, as our name implies, we believe transparency is critical to the confidence in elections. And when you drag elections out past election day when you don't need to, that confidence begins to drop pretty precipitously, and that has real effects on whether people show up in the first place and turnout. And so we think Center Built two ninety three would be a tremendous improvement. And also, by the way, establishes cleaning up of the voter rolls every month. And as I mentioned, you can fix you can fix mistaken ballots before the election that you can't fix after the election.
Speaker 2: Legal isn't that the burden though on the voter? In consequences how many people are actually going back and realizing they made a mistake.
Speaker 1: What are the numbers on that?
Speaker 5: So it isn't that the people realized they made a mistake. That the clerks get to process the ballots before election day and they find that voters made a mistake and they can contact the voter and if they can come in and fix the mistake. For example, they didn't fulfill the requirements of the envelope the ballot has to come in, they can fix those things. And obviously all of us who want it to be easy to vote and hard to cheat want people to be able to fix those mistakes. Senate Bill two ninety three would make sure that more people get the opportunity to fix those mistakes. So I don't know the exact numbers in Ohio, you know that curing is allowed and that your clerks do what they can to make sure the people who've made those sorts of errors get the chance to fix them. So they can't do it on or after election day. On election day, they just don't have the manpower after election.
Speaker 3: Day, gotcha, it's too late.
Speaker 2: Keny also said that you know this is about the mail slower and sover mail service, but just still punishes people though because if mail service is slow beyond their control, and they still don't get in by election day. That's even worse. Instead of that four day grace period that they would give you. And consequently, it doesn't that disproportionately impact rural voters with slower mail service, or the disabled, or elderly voters, working class vote or something like that. Yeah, at the same time, there's an exemption here that allows that four days to stand for soldiers who are serving overseas.
Speaker 1: Why just exempt them?
Speaker 5: Well, because for several reasons, One, they have no choice but vote by mail, whereas for most people who use voting by mail in Ohio they do have the choice one and two they're coming longer distances because they're overseas and deployed, so that there's some rationale to it.
Speaker 3: I would tell you.
Speaker 1: What if you're working, what if you work overseas?
Speaker 5: Well, those folks are left in the same posture before and after Centate build two ninety three, that four day stays for both military and and resident overseas voters.
Speaker 2: Gotcha, Okay, so it applies to them, I don't know.
Speaker 5: Then you find out who who wins on election night.
Speaker 3: That's a big deal.
Speaker 5: I mean, think about look I'll point to Florida. Florida is the third largest state, and people on both sides of the aisle continue to be amazed that an hour after the polls closed in Florida they throw sick million votes up on the board. How do they do that? They do that because votes have come in before election day that they've processed, right, and so they can have them counted during election day and be ready to put that up. And both sides appreciate that that takes an awful lot of the guests words, no doubt, suspicion out of the process of ballot processing, a lot of it. And I would also note in Virginia, you know my most Democrat, so I'm a Republican, so people might think, well, some must be some Republican. Well, the director of Elections and the most Democrat voting district in Virginia, Petersburg, Virginia, has for years been recommending to people in her city that they not ever mail about it ever, that they do anything they can to bring it in person or voting person because of how many every single election, no matter how early they mail them, just never show up. And that's been that's been years in the making so look.
Speaker 2: This, but this is not about that. This is about I don't really care about those states. I care about where I live, Ohio and work, but the postals.
Speaker 5: But but the reasons for it are universal. The reasons for it are universal. And I use Florida as an example because it's such an enormous state and yet they managed to process all those ballots by an hour after the post close. And and look you've got You've got tens hundreds of thousands of people voting by mail. And if they they're not stupid, I don't assume they're stupid. I know Mike Dwaine, we served as Attorney's General together. I know he doesn't think people in Ohio stupid. And they're going to shift forward. They're voting, if they're male voters, to make the deadline. They're not dumb, they're smart. And they're also going to by doing that, get the opportunity in the in the event they make mistakes on their ballot to be able to correct those. So this is going to get more votes in the ballot block, some of which the estimate I understand that of Ohio's around the thousand that would otherwise be uncounted because of the mistakes and how they're they're filed, will have the opportunity to get cured. And you know that's that's not a big number, but we've had races to seven by a thousand in Virginia and where you know we're.
Speaker 1: We've had close ones here in Ohio. Absolutely.
Speaker 2: Ken Kuchinelli's here on the show on seven hundred WOLW. We're talking about voter vote integrity, and one of the big things with the Senate bill that's sitting on de Wine's desk right now would be to eliminate the four day gray spiard after elections. To have your ball at coount, it have to be in and counted prior to election polls closing for that to occur, and it's kind of a that's kind of a minor point. But I guess the other thing too, would be, well, if the election were that close, and we've had, as you said, close elections, and the way as divide as we are in this country, will have even more close elections, I guess in the near future. But if that's the case, wouldn't that just automatically trigger a recount, So it puts everything on hold.
Speaker 3: Anyway, when you have.
Speaker 5: Elections that are within the margin of the recount. Of course that happens, but that doesn't even determined until you've got your ballots in and their counting. And you can know that election night if you have all your ballots in and I say all your ballots in. Of course we've already talked about military and overseas voters still get the four days, but the proportion of the balloting that comes from those folks is extremely small, extremely small. And let's say that the majority, the vast majority of those votes are already in by election day. So with the other votes not lingering after election dates, tune of tens or hundreds of thousands of votes, you know immediately if you're heading into a recount situation. And I would say, look, we've seen the hyperbole that flies around after elections from both sides. You can look at Stacy Abrams and Georgia in twenty eighteen. You can look at how people felt about the twenty twenty outcome, and this trace is back all the way really to bushby Gore in two thousand, right.
Speaker 3: In.
Speaker 5: Some aspects of those complaints are often legitimate and some aren't. And you mentioned this bill does a couple of small things. Elections are made up of hundreds of small things, and this bill would help clean up and clean up Ohio elections, firm them up, and make them more transparent on election day when people expect, whether you and I think it's reasonable or not, when people expect to know the outcome, and you know, matching the process to citizens expectations is a way to build confidence in the outcome of the election, no matter who wins. And that's that's a major goal for the election transparency initiatives.
Speaker 2: But that's also ken that's also kind of undermined when you have people that are talking about how, you know, if you lose the election. Let's talk about what Trump did last time, right he lost the election, I was you know, was stolen basically, and we still have the Mipellow guy out there that's pretty much lost everything and he's still banging the drum for this stuff. It's never been proven. I think that underminds it more than things like this, don't you.
Speaker 5: This is what legislators and governors can do to build the confidence up they and they have to work with how their process really works. They don't get to just say whatever they want and you can use the twenty twenty example. I started with Stacy Abrams. We can go back all the way to two thousand and the bushby Gore, and this has been both sides of the aisle at various points in time. Hillary Clinton didn't concede she lost. Terry mccaulloff didn't conceive that Hillary Clinton lost, you know, for years and years, and suddenly that was treason when Donald Trump wouldn't took the same approach. So you know, this bill treats everybody the same. It changes the rules before the election in a way that voters can understand. Again, we respect the intelligence of voters and we expect them to respond to the changes in the process, and they have shown an ability to do that. I mean, this isn't this wouldn't be some outlier. This would make Ohio the thirty fifth state to count ballots this way, and the more states that start doing this when it is presidential elections at state the only elections that cross state lines, then we'll know the answers to the answer to who the next president is more quickly and we'll all eiminate the paranoia period between election day and when ballots are finally counted?
Speaker 2: Is that I mean, is there census might be moot in the sense because I know that the Circuit Court, I think Fifth Circuit ruled Mississippi's grace period violated federal law right because election includes receipt of ballots that only applies in three states. The Supreme Court yet to rule on this. So is this here in Ohio can preemptively elinating voter access based on speculation about what Scotus might do? And if Supreme Court rules the other way, then do we need to we have to under the law. Should we wait till till still go to rules?
Speaker 5: First of all, this bill doesn't eliminate voter access. It improves voter access. You seem to assume that no one will adjust.
Speaker 2: Well, you could just it's easy to fix this and just go, hey, you know what, here's kind of like Christmas shopping. Here's when you're shipping gifts. You're like Amazon says, okay, here's the drop to if you want your package you arrived before Christmas. Uh, it's well average. We could do the same thing and not need a bill, isn't it. I mean, you just tell people to vote.
Speaker 5: Earlier, you know, well, to do what you propose would still require a bill, but for your listeners benefit, you're correct. The Fifth Federal Circuit, which is Texas, Mississippi, and Louisiana, ruled recently that in federal elections, so even year elections happening in November, because they can only rule on federal law and federal elections, that the election must end on election day, meaning all ballots must be received by election day. That's the Fifth Circuits interpretation of federal law that has been appealed to the Supreme Court. The Supreme Court has taken the case. We don't know how that case will come out, but you are correct for federal elections that if the Supreme Court upholds the Fifth Circuit, then all even year elections are going to end on election day, and what you and I are talking about is going to become the law. Well, it will have been acknowledged as having been the law, but not enforced across the country. So it doesn't mean it applies to all your state elections or any that you may have in the spring at local and so forth, those kinds of things, but it would apply to federal elections, which will be the even year November elections.
Speaker 2: Gotcha, and what do you think the governor does at this point? Does he sign? Is he gonna sign us?
Speaker 5: You know, this seems like a toss up to me. I hope people that would like to see their elections cleaned up and firmed up will call the governor's office ask him to sign Senate Built two ninety three. He has today and tomorrow if I've done my count correctly yet to decide. If he does nothing, it becomes law without his signature, which is entirely plausible that he could do that. But he's going to be deciding today and tomorrow, so he does the right thing and signed Centate Built two ninety three.
Speaker 1: We'll find out.
Speaker 2: Ken Kuchinelli at the Election Transparency Initial appreciate you answer my questions.
Speaker 3: Interesting, Sure, glad to do it all the best.
Speaker 2: I'd be well, have a great Christmas in the holiday, thanks so much. It's a Scottsland show on seven hundred W do now I hear these go Hey, we got to clean up election. You know, election integrity. It's not a problem in Ohio. I think it's a problem in Kentucky and Indiana. By the way, they have that role too in Kentucky and Indiana. I think the ballots got to be in by election day, which hey, it makes sense. I just wonder I don't. I think it's just the same thing either way, because just tell people, hey, you don't vote earlier and get them in by election day. It kind of solves the problem as well, you know, the four day grace spirit. I mean, how often has that triggered, you know, the worries about, you know, if the election integrity because not all the ballots have been cone well they count them, you know, if it doesn't matter what the ballots are coming after, they'll call the election and you know, you send it in light it's on you. Yeah, I just I don't think it's good or bad. I just think it really doesn't mean a lot, especially if the Supreme Court may strike this down. Anyway, got to get a news update in and it's Scott Sloan after News here seven hundred W.
Speaker 7: Weekends coming up and you need to make the most advance where to go and what to do. She has the tips and inside to help you make it a super weekend. So listen up. This is the Local Hoop with Ali Martin on seven hundred WLW.
Speaker 1: Yes Yes, Yes, Yes, Yes.
Speaker 2: Friday means Allie time. As we close out the show this morning on seven hundred WWR, last one of the year, my friend, how are you?
Speaker 9: I'm great.
Speaker 11: I have absolutely no idea what day is as we come to the end of obviously it's Friday, but as we come to the end of the year and January and the holidays, is it Tuesday? Is it Thursday? Is it Friday?
Speaker 9: I treat every day like it's Friday.
Speaker 2: No idea, it's are you in the camp of going? I can't believe a week from yesterday's Christmas.
Speaker 1: I can't believe that. I get no idea.
Speaker 9: You know what.
Speaker 11: Also, where my head is at is number one, just like, where did this year go? Because as I'm scrolling through some of the stuff that I've prepped for today, top things that we've done, eaten all that jazz, I'm like, holy crap, looking through my phoe is the best way on my Apple photos and I'm thinking that was a.
Speaker 9: Year ago, right, I built my desk a year ago. It feels like it was yesterday.
Speaker 2: I just yeah, it's fun because Michelle's talking to neighbor and this week and goes, h yeah, I got to get eventually, go get some Christmas stuff or whatever.
Speaker 11: You know.
Speaker 2: He's like, it only got like a week. She goes, no Christmas like three weeks. And I goes, it's December seventeenth. Okay, she knows what it's next week. Yeah, it's next week.
Speaker 9: Where is the deadline? I don't know, because here's this if I don't get.
Speaker 11: I think part of the reason why it's so weird is because everybody's you know, putting out holiday stuff before Halloween. So there's this weird juxtaposition where I feel like we're burnt out before Halloween even happens. And so Thanksgiving rolls around and I time fries and if I don't have my Christmas tree up right around Thanksgiving time, I'm done. I've done that before in the past, where then I never even get my tree non holiday.
Speaker 2: But we put ours up early than ever before, and it's still like, I can't believe it's next week. Maybe, man, what's some time off to you get?
Speaker 11: The other notion of holiday mode is eggnog. Once they put out the eggnog in the stores.
Speaker 2: They're putting it out like around Halloween. Now I've noticed for guys, it's gonna be year round.
Speaker 9: Why isn't eggnog a year round here?
Speaker 2: Yeah? You know what, It's kind of like the McRib and only just come out on's.
Speaker 9: Here or they're lucky, it's like every five years.
Speaker 2: And then make rib and I think eggnog are the same level of health benefit for you. I'm gonna have a eating a McRib and washed it down with an eggnog.
Speaker 9: No one ever asks for it. Here's the other thing I was thinking about this the other day. I'm like, why for Santa, right, you leave out cookies and milk? Why are we leaving eggnog and cookies? Shouldn't that be?
Speaker 1: That's true?
Speaker 2: That's a good well because eggnog tic typically is as alcohol in it. And the guy he'd never make it out of Arkansas.
Speaker 9: Maybe that's what you think he's really he's on autopilot. Now, like Tesla, do.
Speaker 1: You really want Santa puken down your chimney?
Speaker 3: No?
Speaker 9: But not all eggnog has What do we get.
Speaker 11: For Chris ew Why is Santa black down?
Speaker 9: Why is he face down next to the tree.
Speaker 1: Naked next to the toilet.
Speaker 9: It's gonna be like the raccoon.
Speaker 2: Santa. No, so you don't want to feed Santa egg. Now that's a bad idea. Where are you on egg nog?
Speaker 9: I want to love it. I'd love it spiked.
Speaker 11: It is a I will get one carton, like a small one, every single year, and it's the around right around now where it's a Saturday Sunday morning. Maybe I'll pour myself a small glass, a real small glass. But it is not something that I wake up thinking I need me some eg.
Speaker 1: I like the flavor of it.
Speaker 2: It's good, right, it's we actually buy like we'll get like the half gall of Kroger. And then Michelle likes to put it in her coffee.
Speaker 9: Yeah, that makes sense, like a little bit of like creamer, because it's a CINEREMONI. It's come out with different flavors. Now, so I'm not mad. I'm sure my.
Speaker 11: Sister in law makes it from scratch and she makes it boozy.
Speaker 1: Wow, that's when you.
Speaker 9: Make homemade eggnog.
Speaker 1: It's a whole nother different level boozy.
Speaker 9: Though again, give it, Santa gives it. Maybe you'll fall off the roof.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I can never say. Of what do bars do it? Can you get an eggnog and a bar Ooh?
Speaker 9: Actually, well, so like a martini. I know which is on my list.
Speaker 11: Faulton the Yards is one of my favorite coffee shops these days, and they have a full holiday cocktail spread and they're doing like an eggnog martini, so it's a thicker cocktail. If you were to do so, you'll see that a lot of these holiday bars will lean into it.
Speaker 9: But it's that happy to me.
Speaker 1: That eggnog is a whole different thing.
Speaker 9: I said, santsy be falling off the roof, which actually makes me laugh. Have you seen the movie the Santa Claus who hasn't with? Do you know? In the initial script? I learned this this year.
Speaker 11: Tim Allen said that the script was written to shoot Santa, so you know how when he hears Santa and how really and he ends up falling off the roof because he runs out. He's like, hey, who's up there? And then Sand's like ooh and then falls off. In the script, initially it has Tim Allen killing Santa really, yes, and then Disney read it over. He apparently Tim loved the idea. Disney read it over like, we can't shoot Santa, so it changed the entire can kill satam you can't kill.
Speaker 9: So that's my weird fun fact.
Speaker 2: Let's get into I know you wanted to review twenty twenty five.
Speaker 11: Yeah, So where my head is at with this is the new spots that have opened, you know, what are the big highlight spots, as well as going micro down to some of the favorite dishes that we've had this year. Now some of my top favorite overall picks in regards to establishments, and we went into a battle of how to pronounce this wayfair wayfair where farah way Farrah The pizza joint over in Dayton, Kentucky. They're the ones that have the pickled pizza. Keep in mind they've been around. They were around last year but they were more pop ups. But this year they have their establishment and I think that's the top spot to check out. Really great cocktails. They have a full menu, but they're really known for their different pizzas.
Speaker 9: Okay, a, as you know, that's a E t X E E t X.
Speaker 11: It's a basque steakhouse which they are actually going now four days a week because I don't know if you heard the news, but the Aperture, which is the space that they're doing their culinary residency in Jordan had Chef Jordan.
Speaker 9: He's revamping. He's closing down.
Speaker 11: For a little bit, but the goal is to reopen, so they're going to take over the space a little bit longer. So at a the Bass Steakhouse, Tapa's really good. Uh pork Pluma, which is one of.
Speaker 9: My TOPI steakhouse different. Yeah, I don't even know if that exists. There was a.
Speaker 1: Downtown yeah, now there's one, and I think.
Speaker 9: That sounds about Yes.
Speaker 11: I deserve to get fired from this gig because all last week I literally thought flight club.
Speaker 9: Okay, I've been calling.
Speaker 1: It fight club, I know, and I can't ask you.
Speaker 9: You asked me about it.
Speaker 2: I feel it's weird. It should be flight club, not fight club. Ye, and it's actually called what.
Speaker 9: Flight club club? Because I can't read.
Speaker 11: I have been all over this and I have in my head straight to dyslexia and have been calling it fight club because maybe because I want to get into a fight at a war.
Speaker 9: So I'm going to take full responsibility and I'm so sorry it makes hello flight club because it's darts flying darts.
Speaker 2: I feel so much better going Why that's a bad name for it? Why wouldn't you just call it flight club because then it's a play on words.
Speaker 1: You know, no, no, no.
Speaker 2: It's fight club, but they have darts, so it should be flight club. No, it's fight club.
Speaker 9: I wanted to get into a fight.
Speaker 11: And I should have known, because sometimes when you ask a follow a question, I know what you do, and you're like, are you sure?
Speaker 1: You're sure?
Speaker 9: Are you sure?
Speaker 1: I'm gonna take your word for it, but I'm a question.
Speaker 9: You really should have leaned into that question a little bit hard, like.
Speaker 1: I would love to be in that branding meeting. What do we call it?
Speaker 2: How about flight club? Now just call it fight club? Are you throwing darts? Flight flight could?
Speaker 9: If you lose, maybe you.
Speaker 11: I take a responsibility for that one. But it's really great that that.
Speaker 9: Opened this year.
Speaker 11: Whatever it's called, whatever it's called, and whatever you do there, and it's the dark the Dark spot down.
Speaker 2: That's just something about the warm wood in English this time of year. Seems like you should be able to get an egg nod there.
Speaker 9: That is as that doesn't good call back on that one.
Speaker 11: I am also going to throw out Salsar, note Che and prim As other big staple spots that have opened this year that are worth noting. Spots that I have tried this shore, I'm like, where have I been live?
Speaker 9: I've been under a rock.
Speaker 11: I can't believe I'm saying this because I'm not a sandwich person, but I still dream about it and it's kind of far up there for me.
Speaker 9: And it's the new England Grinders. I am still on it.
Speaker 1: I haven't been there in years, but every time I go, it's solid sandwich.
Speaker 9: I think about it, solid lot.
Speaker 1: There's just one location.
Speaker 2: It's not a chain, no, And it's tough because there's a lot of good sandwich places in Cincinnati, thank you.
Speaker 11: And the reason why I also love it it's like six bucks. It's not that it's not that expensive, huh. Like you can get to different sizes off of Princeton Glendale Road, and the Fat Bastard is my favorite. It's the pistrami and they have euromeat and then the spicy Italian sausage, banana, Pepper's mayo. It's not dressing anything from Buffalo chicken sandwiches to club grinders, but the bread is so.
Speaker 9: Good and I think about.
Speaker 2: It good sandwich more than I probably should. Yeah, that sounds like a good pick today. Good big grinder, and you live close to there, well sort of. You know, it's funny about it. My brother, My brother actually used to live like almost across the street. We go there, like, I don't know, not a lot, but frequently. Yeah, I haven't met vaccines, but man, that's that's a good sandwich.
Speaker 6: Check.
Speaker 9: Can you do that and take a photo for me? Through you?
Speaker 1: Which the big one?
Speaker 4: Is it?
Speaker 1: The fat bastard?
Speaker 3: Is that?
Speaker 9: The fat bastard is?
Speaker 4: Yeah?
Speaker 11: Really the menu is montraous and they do salads and other stuff. But I'm I'm there and I'm not a sandwich person.
Speaker 1: A good sandwich, it's really it.
Speaker 9: I think about it a lot.
Speaker 2: I like a good club sandwich. Every once in a while it hits or I mean I just went to Blue Ash Chili this week and got a double decker.
Speaker 9: Wait, so I went into a big I had a big kerfluffle of a conversation the other day with someone was like, what's the one thing if you would eat your entire life, like if you one meal?
Speaker 11: And this person said, a turkey sandwich. Really, I'm like, that's a club I'm like, you've got to be kidding.
Speaker 1: A turkey sandwich.
Speaker 9: That's a no for me.
Speaker 2: Yeah, A good double decker those amazing you and tiffpo tell you blue as chili double decker.
Speaker 9: Is blue ash chili. That's a good nugget.
Speaker 1: Awesome double decker.
Speaker 4: It's massive.
Speaker 9: Good to know.
Speaker 1: I'm both shirt is a good one.
Speaker 9: Too, and they are opening up on pund Square.
Speaker 4: There you go.
Speaker 11: Some other really good single item stables worth checking out. I mentioned the pluma, which is a pork shoulder at h a wild weed they had, Yes, they've made had nds of being one of the top restaurants in twenty twenty five, with the chef being a James Beard finalist, But there were a couple of menu items. They have this heirloom melon salad, which you would think it would be a sweeter salad. It had this flavor profile of different like salsas and hot oils, and then it had like a goat feta cheese with it, and it was so what I saw on the plate versus what it tasted like was one of the most exquisite experiences that I've had food wise this year. It really was memorable. They've had all of their noodle dishes are really good, which then leads me to another noodle dish that sticks out in my mind from Bessie's homemade or home style noodles. And this was during Octoberfest, because you know, during Octoberfest, it's like get your classic. You got your pretzels and your brots and everything, and like, okay, a lot of them taste the same. And every year I'm thinking, what I still have not found that one dish that blows my mind and I'm excited about and I have passed up this specific spot every single year, and then of course I'm with all my chef friends and they're like, you gotta go here, gotta go all right, and it still sticks with me and you can buy it online.
Speaker 3: Okay.
Speaker 11: It's based out of Fairborne, Ohio. Shout out to Bessie's Home Style noodles. Really good, So putting that one up.
Speaker 1: There is a.
Speaker 9: Memorable dish, all right, of fried deviled eggs from Bees Barbecue in OTR. I just thought that was really different.
Speaker 11: And cocktails, because we're gonna talk cocktails, bars restaurants. The pistachio Martini still takes takes the w for for knowledge bar. I usually don't like super super sweet cocktails.
Speaker 9: You just do it right.
Speaker 2: I always hated Martini's and then as I got older, I think your palette develops. I'm like, oh, I like the blue cheese dirty Martina. That's pretty good one. Once in a while an occasional Michelle actually made her own espresso vodka things. She says, she it's a pretty good espresso martini cocktails. I don't mind those, but I'm an I'm absolutely a nut for pistachio, so oh, that is one I would try.
Speaker 9: Oh and it's a little it's like creamy or two were deserved. It is better than eggnog.
Speaker 11: So I would throw a little bit of a throw all that together, and then some other things that stick out for this year because I'm a big coffee coffee shop dweller now that I'm doing my own thing. Favorite coffee shop this year that I've come across that I've really enjoyed is Fulton Yards. Mentioned that at the top they do this indoor outdoor vibe and they have their lattes are incredible. They do a good macha, but they also switch over to cocktails in the evening. But they really actually care about their cocktails and they do full menus every single month and every season. As I mentioned holidays, they do right now they're doing a vanilla winter fig they have an amaretto eggnog spritz. They're doing like a gingerbread gin flip, North Pole peppermint martini, and a whole bunch more. But they also do live music and trivia on Tuesdays, different things to kind of keep it lively. Gotcha, But the vibes are good and you can also watch the games there.
Speaker 9: So it's a Fulton Yards and then the standard for brunch.
Speaker 2: I will throw in and off my list. Let's go one on one Craft Kitchen in Deerfield, Mason. It's phenomenal. One okay, so one one craft. It is a I went to bar. It's kind of rusticky on the inside, but cocktails are really strong. The food is absolutely incredible.
Speaker 9: Was that just what that we went to that one time a long time?
Speaker 7: All?
Speaker 1: Or no? No, they just opened not long ago.
Speaker 2: It's there, fifty West is right there, so it's in that whole new development that door thing.
Speaker 3: Uh.
Speaker 2: But everything on the menu is phenomenal, great, great burgers and sandwiches, even like I had of the summer. I had a salad and it was phenomenal, the best sell I ever had. So everything is good.
Speaker 11: Well being over there, the Dorothy Lane. That's probably the grave about it.
Speaker 2: It was pretty good. You spend a lot of money. But I gotta be honest with you. I'm a convert. I love me some Dorothy Lane.
Speaker 9: So what is My mom talks about this all the time. She loves Dorothy Lane. What is it?
Speaker 1: Quality of the food? I think it's just you're you're paying more.
Speaker 2: But it's like the service, like even a checkout for example, Like the quality of all the food is amazing. They make it right in front of you can get whatever, and it's things you can't find everywhere else if you're a foodie. But I think it's also just like you feel like it's not the big box thing because even when you go to check out, you don't touch your own cart. You give it to the bagger, the guy checking you out, and they do it. It's not on your you know, the carts usual on your side, and you take it out, they take it all.
Speaker 7: Yeah.
Speaker 1: Yeah, So it's a different anyway. Dorothy Lay Market is solid, solid.
Speaker 9: All in line of Publics.
Speaker 11: You know, apparently Publics has killer Sandwich's, the Public's in Florida.
Speaker 2: But it's again, it's more I think it's just more of a boutique type of grocery store. I feel a little smaller, but the selection and neat seafood and the cooked food, everything is the best produce probably outside of maybe a farmer's market. Line up with your jungles is big. It's it's like that on steroids. It's bigger. It's just you can't compare that took anyway, Ali Martin here, it's been a great year.
Speaker 1: Thanks again, appreciate it, he me again.
Speaker 2: Great Christmas, Happy New Year, all that stuff, and we'll talk again next year's fight club. Let's go to club. Let's let's go to fight club. I want to get a fight, ending it with a correction and a retraction.
Speaker 1: I love it. There you go slowly seven hundred w And since that