Speaker 1: Don't want to be an American.
Speaker 2: The answer to the question do you miss me? Would be who slowly back on seven hundred w l ws. I said back a little longer than I explained to be out at this point, I'm the injury, but I'm playing injured. Unlike some people, I can play injured. Explain to me. Austin Elmore is in from ESPN fifteen thirty. Well, chop up the Reds demise. But here's Joe Burrow, the multi billion dollar quarterback. We're not gonna do here we go, You're not in the game.
Speaker 3: After being gone, you take more vacation time than Willie, and then you have this phantom ankle injury that keeps you out for an extra month, and you want to come in here talking about the durability of Joe Burrow.
Speaker 2: I don't want to hear it. I'm Joe Burrow, and I am more able. Jimmy kimmeled your ass. That's what should have happened. I go in for an ankle procedure, which thought, hey, I got this bone rubbing out of ten and it's kind of sore. Yeah. Two hours later, her surgeon consentsals, my wife, your husband has been walking around for god knows how long on a fully ruptured foot foot tended. That's insane and uh is that what? You blame your golf game on me? And now I got Now there's no excuses. Yeah, you got your shoulder fixed, you got your ankle fixed. You better get the game fixed. I'm like a Nascar The right side of my body has been I got to the left side. Now, Holy crap, just need an oil change. My search is like, yeah, you fully ruptured your tendon. It's gonna be a minute. Could you think of a moment when you did it? Because there a pinpoint I'm speaking of my my you know, eight thousand vacation days. We were in Australia and I felt like a little pop and it hurt for like the better part of a day. But she said you probably did it before that it was something else. So I'd like, I don't know, man, I'm just stupid. Well, my younger my younger brother actually had surgery yesterday on his shoulder and they're like, you know, we fixed your shoulder, but apparently somewhere along line, you rupture your bicep. Completely had no idea. Nope, that's true, Like we just have no money Badgers. I was watching and what was it. It was called Nova Can the guy who could Feel No pain. It's like that should be the nickname.
Speaker 3: Now, okay, wow, yeah, Like all right, well guy, I guess I'm glad you're no.
Speaker 2: It's fine. I mean there's and there's in all seriousness, there's people who have far worse more illnesses. So I'll take some osteoarthritis and attended seven and whatever. It's there's worst crap out there and one of those things that's causing a lot of pain. Today. Uh, Sunday was wonderful because Sunday the champagne was flowing. The shirts came out. You get your limited edition built for Fall shirts. Maybe second guessing that purchase this morning Wednesday, I'm really glad I didn't go down to that shop. You know, you're not that guy. I like that.
Speaker 3: I like that sort of stuff, but I only will buy it, really if the team advances. I have a Bengals Super Bowl fifty six quarters it yeah, still has the tags on it. Never worn it not at all because they didn't win. It just sits in my car.
Speaker 2: I don't wear the Hey wild Card, like if you win the World Series, Super Bowl. Whatever. Did you see the different story of the hat with the post? How much seventy dollars? It's insane. Somebody right now is looking, this's going, I'm really stupid. I'm really I should not.
Speaker 4: Don't.
Speaker 2: Don't fall into that. That means nothing, right, Championships means something, even like AFC National League champion Pennant went okay, yeah, but he win the division. Yeah I'm not but I'm not buying that. It's just it's so anyway, Uh, how do you kill cockerroaches with a big, heavy bat with a Louisville slugger, Because that's what happened on two games. They're eighteen to nine. They're outscored. The longest drought in sports continues for the Red Legs. Austin Elmore, my boy from ESPN fifteen thirty. El here, he and Tony Pike this afternoon, about noon talking about this and all these sports misery. We went in a short period of weeks when like FC was rolling. The Reds are in a historic run right now to close out the season, get in the postseason. You got the Bengals kick off, oh well, two and zero, and all of a sudden, in a few short weeks all, it all burned down. Yeah, from the time I left and came back, the whole city burned down. What the hell happened? I wish I could explain it, I really do. Like, obviously, the Burrow injury changes everything for the Bengals, and the way that they performed in Minnesota, You're like, Okay, just got away from them, Surely they're not that bad. And then they confirmed that they are that bad with the way that they perform in Denver, and all of a sudden you've lost all expectations for the Bengals. And then with the Reds it was the exact opposite. They played just good enough to outlast the Mets and get into the playoffs. Normally, an eighty three win team is not going to get you into the playoffs. The Reds were just enough better than the Mets, who had a historical collapse and the same and half of the season to get into the The Reds did not go on this surge of offense and pitching in defense to earn a spot into the postseason. They simply didn't play as bad as the Mets. In all fairness, they played a really good series against the Milwaukee team was resting some guyst the Chicago Cubs swept the Cubs, so down the stretch they did some some and I you know people, well, yeah, you but Milwaukee's resting their starters and there. Yeah, but you still did something you haven't been able to do, I think since Kennedy was president, feels like and that was beat it. Take a series in Milwaukee, brothers in Milwaukee on top of that. Yeah, but what does that mean?
Speaker 5: Now?
Speaker 2: You were in the playoffs? Okay, so had they lost they swept again, they wouldn't be in and they played two more games. It's another beat. It's a it's another baby step forward. The big question.
Speaker 3: It's a baby step because in a normal year, an eighty three win team is not going to make.
Speaker 2: That at all. But you did. So they did it. Now what happens in the offseason, that's going to be the three hundred fifty million dollar questions for sure. And I'll start with that because because you often hear, especially with a team like the Dodgers, where they have a three hundred and fifty bazillion dollars payroll in the top three guys and they're there are one, two three guys make more than the entirety of your club combined, and we're not even getting into pitchers and everyone else. It is, Can the Reds actually compete on that stage? Now you look at that go, well, Cleveland's in there. There's some smaller market teams, smaller payroll teams that did really well. The Mets didn't do much or were the Mets right now. They've got a really high payroll. But at the end of the day, can you really compete at that level?
Speaker 3: Yes, you can. The Milwaukee Brewers have a lower payroll in the Reds. They're the number one seed in the National League.
Speaker 6: Yep.
Speaker 3: Everything they do is first classes and the way it's scouting and development in their minor league system, in their pitching department, all of it. And so, if you are going to be an organization that chooses not to compete at the highest level financially with the top guys in the National League, which the Reds do, they do. They have that type of money, the Dodgers' money. No, nobody has the Dodgers' money, but the Reds. The Reds could be much more. They could spend much more money than they do. They choose not to. So if you're going to operate that way, you better have the rest of your button, your operation buttoned up, and it doesn't feel like they have that entirely buttoned up right now because there was not enough development this year from young players. I think you feel really good about Noel vi Marte. I think you feel really good about salth Stewart. Awesome, but you're questioning Ellie de la Cruz defensively took a step back. Matt McClain put together one of the worst offensive seasons in the history of the Reds franchise, and he played nearly every day. Austin Hayes one year deal, hurt all the time, Miguel andhar expiring deal, good acquisition. Maybe you consider bringing him back. TJ friedel red hot for the first seventy five games of the season, just a guy for the back half. Stevenson injured, Okay, not great, Jose Travino fell off a cliff, Gavin Lux not a complete liability defensively. So there's clearly a lot of work that needs to be done on this roster. And I give Terry francona credit for all of what I just said. He did a good job with them of weathering the storm and keeping them competitive. He never let it unravel. That felt like that was the best that you could get out of this group of guys. Terry Francona got the best out of what he was given. Yeah, as he always does. I would say that up until like the last two weeks of the season into the playoffs, I found myself second guessing him more than of Zach Lettel. Zach Lettel, I mean, I got it right here. So the whole idea of the Reds making the playoffs was they have Hunter Green, they have Nicolodolo, and they have Andrew Rabbit. Andrew Rabbit pitching the All Star Game this year, he didn't pitch in the postseason. Yeah, Niicolodolo last Night fourteen was filthy. He threw fourteen pitches. Yeah, and Hunter Green did not meet the moment through sixty five pitches and got showed.
Speaker 2: Did anyone see that?
Speaker 3: So the reason that they were supposed to be competitive in the playoffs, and I thought they would be competitive, I legitimately hand up. I gave up on this team. I quit on this team. I second guessed this team. But I said the entire time, if they make the postseason, they can make some noise because of their pitching, and Abbott and Lodolo combined for fourteen pitches.
Speaker 2: For the ball for the second half of the season, probably last third of the season. I was convinced, Okay, this feels to me, it's a five hundred team, right, It's a five hundred ball club, maybe a couple of games over below. But he kind of backed into the playoffs with the Mets collapsing as they did, and it felt like, Okay, it's not twenty five, it's twenty six, it's twenty seven, that they're going to get this thing together. Put it in. I get the criticism of Terry frank ConA, but did anyone expect to his credit? Okay, so he pitches zach Lytell, and he went why the hell would he not? Why is Loddole only getting a dozen pitches? Why are you saying having Abbott for a game three that may not happen. You know you've got to play for tomorrow. You gotta play for today, not tomorrow. I understand the second guessing he's a Hall of Fame manager. I give why birth to that, because he has a track record of success where he goes. The zach Lytell start was certainly questionable, but you know to him going to you don't know what your game one day the next. The biggest evidence of that, as you mentioned, is Hunter Green. Did anyone expect Hunter Green in Game one to collapse as quickly and as easily as said? No one believed that.
Speaker 3: And here's the other part of the whole conversation of having your operation buttoned up. It was revealed yesterday afternoon that the Reds were tipping their pitches did in Game one, and Hunter Green was the chief among them, and he obviously gets touched up by the Dodgers. How do you not know going into the postseason what your tels are. Mike Napoli is on the Reds pitching staff, he or is on the Reds coaching staff. He's there because he's really good at that picking up guys that are tipping pitches, both on the opponents and on themselves. Well, first of all, how many times have the Reds off exploded offensively? It makes you feel like, oh, the other team was tipping their pitches. Never happens. And how do you not have a self scout in there in your system to say, Hunter you're doing this with your glove when you throw a breaking ball. You're doing this with your foot when you throw a fastball. Whatever it is like that sort of stuff is what I'm saying. You have to have that buttoned up because you don't have the talent advantage against the best teams in baseball.
Speaker 2: And that's at least twice has happened this season where somebody's tiping their pitches. It happened with Chase Burns in Boston. Right, how many other clubs have you heard this season that happen? By the way, Chase Burns is another one. He pitched the eighth inning last night. The game was out of hand. What are we doing? You're not gonna You're.
Speaker 3: Pitching is your strength and they combined for seventy six pitches seventy nine pitches.
Speaker 2: The other side of that, though, is offensively speaking, it's sound like, you know, the Dodgers have a Vulnert but in their bullpen versus ours, and did not exploit that. Now they did anyone think last night? That a two run lead, and it was great to see them pouncing on him early. I mean, that was awesome. Right. Sure, you mentioned Sal Stewart, I am I'm definitely buying some sales Stewart. I love that guy for a rookie to show what he did at Chabez Ravine that clutch shit to drive runs in fantastic and I think it's unfair to him, but shows the kind of guy he's for hanging that loss on him and that that throwing here because there's a lot of other problems I had that was not at all on sales. Stewart, that's that. I look at what transpired in that regard last night and it just leaves me shaking my head, going, well, okay, you know, you got a great bullpen, you get to the Dodgers billing and can't produce runs. I look at Ellie de la Cruz wearing that forty four, and we heard the story on the telecast last night million million times about how Rick Stobe but quet that number on him because he reminded him of Eric Davis. He has got a long way to go, a long way to go before he's at the level of Eric Davis. Is Ellie, you know, we talk about he's a superstar. He's a every commercial you see for mlbing a promo, Ellie's on there. Ay, all well and good, but what's that guy done? Yeah?
Speaker 3: It was a tough season for Ellie. I know there was a lot of off field issues and the loss of his sister. He had a quad injury that I think was probably a little more severe than we realized that he played through. He had adjusted that swing to where there was a toe tap instead of a leg kick, and when he went back to the leg kick, some of the power went back. Defensively, he was atrocious up until the last two weeks of the season. A difficult season for Ellie, but there were moments in which you were waiting for him to grab hold of it and to become that superstar and to match all the hype. I did an entire segment about this going into the game on Tuesday night, which is, yeah, Hunter Green is starting, and that's cool, but this is a chance for Elie de la Cruz to emerge, yes, and to.
Speaker 2: Be the guy. And he didn't do it. He didn't do it last night with the bases loaded. It sucks.
Speaker 3: I mean, there's no other way to say it. It stinks that in that moment, your guy didn't have a moment, and you know there was a.
Speaker 2: Couple of time opportunities.
Speaker 3: Yeah he did. He's had opportunities all season, He's just loaded. Come on, and the Reds, you know, with runners in scoring position and when the bases loaded, are among the worst two worst teams in baseball. That's this was a perfect encapsulation of their season. And it sucks for Ellie, it really does. It sucks for Reds fans. I don't know how else to say it.
Speaker 2: Well again, and maybe he needs a few reps next season too. Is not playing every yeah.
Speaker 3: And Jeff Brantley made a point about that is next year, the kids got to get some days off.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 3: And there was actually a moment last night Doug Glanville on the TV broadcast played for Terry Francona in Philadelphia, and he had told Terry Francona, I want to play all one hundred and sixty two games, right, And there was a point later in the season where Francona comes up to him and says, it looks like the bat is swinging you. I'm giving you a day off.
Speaker 2: Yeah. He's got to be able to do that with Eli Da La Cruz next year. And I think there's a learning even his advance, his advanced age and all the experience he has, Terry would tell he admit that he learned something new every day, which is that's what makes him the Hall of Famer that he is. It was awfully tough to watch Game one because you know, it was out a hand early, and I think for a lot of Reds fans, did you have a sense like as soon as Otani hit that that jack jack that first, You're like, man, maybe this this run is over. You know what to do that to the first inning, the first pitch, But boy, you know that was an eye opening moment for me, and it got worse from there. In Game one, you're hoping for a bounce back ten who it started that way, and you're like, we got to get more than two runs against this Dodger team, and they didn't until it was too late. Yeah, I mean I kind of figured once the home runs happened that the game one was over, just because I know the Reds don't have the ability to score a bunch of runs, So you know, that one I thought it was over. But I legitimately thought the plan going into last night, if lttel can go through the order once and then get you through to Lodolo, you'll be good. Everybody on the planet knew that you can't leave Lodolo or Lattel in more than that batter in the fourth Yea and Francona did. There was, if I have any criticisms, there was times towards the end of this season where it felt like Terry Francona didn't have the feel for the game. And that's concerning to me. All right, off season, Red's gonna We're gonna talk about this all offseason. And now a lot of this is it's not about Terry francne Is. It's gonna certainly be on the front off. It's going to be Bob and Phil in time to open up the purse strings, micause you got this far. My final point is this, Yes, you can be happy that the Reds made an appearance in the postseason, but you should at no point feel satisfied with what they accomplished. They shouldn't feel that way, Bob, Phil, Nick, Terry, every player on that team. There was a sense of accomplishment in the clubhouse last night, and that's bs. They should not feel that way because this team underachieved. As far as I'm concerned, A lot left on the table and waiting for that moment to go Okay, good this this is a pause, and now we move forward.
Speaker 3: The goal should always be much, much more than just making an appearance in the postseason. The Reds have the longest playoff advancement drought in North American sports at over thirty years. Until you change, and until you actually advance, no one's going to take you seriously. And I will not celebrate postseason appearances. Don't buy the postseason built for fall shirt. So you spend your money however you want. I don't care until I'm not going to do it.
Speaker 2: I'm waiting till you do. You got to do something. You got to show me something. Win the division, win something. Austin Elmore late today new in ESPN fifteen thirty. Are lots to talk about with him and to Pike, thanks Budy, appreciate you seven hundred WW. Every time there's a protest place like oh Portland, for example, and people are on the streets, and then the people in law enforcement wearing the helmets and have the batons out and the shields, and when these people get arrested for not they always start crying. You kind of knew it's coming. If you don't get out, you're surprised at you're crying that you're getting arrested. I just I don't understand it. I don't I don't get it. But that's part of old Agehoe is getting all banged ups. Loney back on seven hundred WLW. All right, the ankle's making but we're making progress on the ankle. Three more weeks and I can put it. How about that good times to be had? You know this, I don't know, and I haven't listened at all because I've been kind of out of it. But the government shutdown. Get into that for a minute here before other stuff. You know, it's the same tired political game that goes on, and if you're cheering for one side or the other, then you know, maybe you want to take pause and just listen for a second. Because everything you need to know about this shutdown comes from a headline from of all things, the athletic, and the headline is that what the athletic? What has that got to do with the shutdown? Here's your headline. Air Force versus Navy football will go on as scheduled. The ongoing US government shutdown will not impact the playing of college sports games at Air Force Army and Navy. What does that tell you about the seriousness of those who are shutting our government down. It's all theater. If you manufacture a crisis and pretend it's the other side that's evil in doing this, and you get enough people to believe you, you win, because fear is the currency of power. The truth is how much has actually closed? Do you have an idea of how you look at all the federal government? The eleventy billion eleveny what is it, eleven dy billion dot, whatever the hell it is, of how much money we spend every minute? The shutdown effects about eight percent of that federal budget. Eight percent of the federal budget is not funded currently because of the shutdown. In the order itself, it requires it non essential departments shut down. What should enrage all of us, especially those of us who are either those of you who are really conservative Magget conservatives or lean to the right, or libertarian like me, because that means that the Maga Doze phonies consider ninety two percent of government to be essential. I thought, this is about shedding. We'll get to that in a second, because you may, just because of the nature of the way this is going, shed some jobs here. But so that means that those who are going to shut this thing down, ninety two percent of government is essential. Well, what was Doze about then? And Dooze literally figuratively didn't do anything. So you have defense, you have veterans affairs, you have health and human services, and labor and education and energy, and a bunch of air traffic controllers, Transportation Security Administration TSA officers. My daughter's flying today, so she'll be fine. Customers in Border Protection IRS FBI, all those agents are still on the job. About a quarter the FAA, though, is going to be furloughed, which again is just just enough, just enough disruption for someone to know. It's not going to shut the airlines down. I'm not gonna shut anything, but it's gonna be just a little more, a little more crowd, a little more slow, little more plotting, just enough to maybe get your tender. You're still gonna get your student loan, You're still gonna get your Social Security, you're gonna blieve me, you're gonna be able to get your PLAVIXX. You're gonna be fine. But if you you know the thing is, if you really want to stop this BS, we're gonna shut the government down. Every time we don't get our way, or to send a message and bring America to its knees, which really doesn't have you really want to stop this, you know, Congress, the executive branch, the judiciaria. How about you don't get paid during a shutdown? What you can't not pay us? How about your health benefits go away? Members of the Senate, members of the Congress, you get in it. You can't go to the doctor, you can't get You're gonna have to pay out of pocket for stuff when the government shuts down. I know, okay, we can't. We gotta pay these guys because it's constitutional, it's protected. But what about the benefits? Why don't we cut the spict off to that? Why don you guys vote on that. Put that up there and say hello, and every time we shut the government down, we can't come with a budget and we'll get paid. But yeah, the healthcare of the perks, the car surface, all that stuff that they get that goes away. So we open things. But you don't think that would maybe we'd see a lot fewer disruptions like this. I would, because you know it's a temper tantrum. We want outrage for our cause. Not outrage at the system that encourages it. You know, if you again on that note, if you want to hear from constituents and they you know, they want you maybe paying attention to all the government's shutting down. This is bad. We've got to get this thing together and on what's causing this whole thing. If you cut medicare off in social security, that get it people's attention, right and and but now it's like, well, okay, what's the narrative on this thing, the shutdown? Well, Schumer really is under pressure from his base to show that Democrats are want to take the hammer to Trump and those the AOC who's been all over the place, the EOC is the world of progressives of the party are angry as Trump continues to get what he wants, and so like, hey, we'll shut things down and we'll use healthcare in this case as a pretext. And you know, the sad part about this thing is what we want. Okay, we need to save Obamacare. That's what this is about. This is about saving We got to there's twenty two million people who depend on this, and I agreed, and the healthcare has been a mess for a long time and Republicans hold a majority, but Democrats are needed to move those funding bills in the Senate, And so now it's the party attacking Republicans is irresponsible for threatening shutdowns in the past, and now they're shutting things down themselves and throwing their own temper tantrum, which further illustrates the silliness of politics. I will say, though, that as I look at this, maybe there's a chance that the federal workforce comes out and maybe it's a little bit smaller as result of this thing. Because you know Trump is and he's great at calling somebody's bluff saying okay, went after the Office of Budget Management and say, how about this, We'll start permanent job cuts as the government shuts down. But we know the government really never shuts down, as I just pointed out, by only eight percent of government shutting down, ninety two percent is still fully functional and funded, and somehow, some way, within a week or two at the most, the two parties always work out in agreement. And what the agreement is is, hey, you know what, we're just going to kick the can down the road for a few more months and spend a lot more money doing it, bankrupting America even further. That sound like a plan to you. That sounds like a plan, and that's what happens every stinging time. So the idea that somehow is like we're fighting for this guys who we're fighting for the American But they're fighting for yourselves. You're fighting for power and scaring people is the currency you spend to get what you want. And that's really how things work. That's how government works. But helps like eight percent. Okay, you look at that, go wait, wait a minute, this is about eight percent of the government. Yeah, the important stuff, that is stuff important to them. It still stays open, some big deal. It's illustrated by that point. The Air Force Navy football game will still go on. Well why isn't that shut down. I'm not saying I enjoy Service academy battles, especially the Army Navy game. We didn't like that. It's about as American as it gets. Tell you what, I've seen a game in Navy Marine Corps Stadium. It's a phenomenal play. I haven't seen anything at the other academies, but they're in Maryland. Absolutely, it puts a lump in your throat. It makes the hair in the back of your next ten. It's all of that. If you've ever been to a game there, it's fantastic to watch the midshipman come marching. It's really really cool. But okay, if we shut government down, why are we doing that? Well, that's different, is it is? That doesn't seem essential? Yeah, but you can't. Really that's punishing the athletes of Yeah, but you're the ones guys shutting the government down, not them, not our soldiers and airmen and sailors. Well you don't understand. I understand perfectly. What you're doing is you're jerking our chain. Like if you really wanted to get stuff done in Washington, if there's an impetus to do that, you would. But you know, we again it's the nature of politics because we took what works in sports, and that is you know this, this this rabid fan base that we have for you look at look at everything in sports are gone all right? You look at people buying Bengals jerseys and helmets. You know, you see somebody wearing a I don't know, a Trump hat, or someone who has a bunch of you know, liberal bumper stickers on their Volvo driving on seventy five I mean, you're kind of buying that merch too. It's it's to we take in sports and just said, hey, you know what they worked for sports looking to rabbit. People are over sports. We'll just apply to the politics. That's pretty damn good. Let's do that. And we've kind of made a theater so you know, we're the ones that encourageous behavior. If we want to stop the nonsense. And I don't know if that day is coming or we said okay, enoughs enough already, then we say, all right, we're going to make some changes on who we vote for and who we're going to send a wash into our bidding. But that's not going to happen for a very very long time, if any time in my lifetime are yours? But the shocking fact of the matter is ninety two percent of government still operates just fine. It's the eight percent. It's kind of like, I don't want to I'm trying to look think at a really good metaphor for this kind of like let's say, I don't know, you show up to a place that you have business with and there's a front office and you go the doors are locked, and the receptionist desk is empty and it's dark. But meanwhile, in the back, if you kind of look around where the receptionist area is, you're like, there's people back there working. That's kind of what this is like. It's like, I don't know, a company holiday or something like, yeah, okay, well the forward facing people, the receptionists, the janitors, the vendors that okay, you know what, we're not going to put snacks back in the vending machine this week or two weeks, but everything else is still going to work. Well, that's what this is. Government's still working, all the important stuff's getting done. It's just they're showing us just how silly the whole battle is over. Well, what is this? This is over healthcare. I mean, you can negotiate this and not close the governm. But every time we have a shutdown, it's because of something, somebody trying to make a political point. And certainly they're fighting for the soul to the Democratic Party with the progressive Left and the Centrists and the you know, the Greg Lansman's against the others and so on, and that's all well and good, but I don't understand why you need to do this to make your point. You know, healthcare has been in atrocity in this country for a long time. And maybe I'll get this at a later date in that top of my head. You know, if you look over the last even twenty years, the number of businesses that are offering healthcare benefits, and particularly it's it's small business are fewer and fewer.
Speaker 6: Now.
Speaker 2: If you're in a big company, you can offer great healthcare benefits. And I've been working for a big company. I take advantage that I just got off medical leave with ankle surgery because my company offers a wonderful health benefits package. And I'm very very fortunate and blessed and lucky to have that. I get that because if you work for a smaller company or smaller companies or a mom and pop, you can't afford the healthcare benefits used to be. That's like, okay, we've got to offer this stuff to stay comped. If you can't afford to do that anymore, and fear in fear companies, small companies and that'd be those who employ under two hundred, which are the bulk of employers in America, can't do that any longer. And we've heard from Democrats about how we have to save that for people. Okay, good, what's your plan. Well, we've got this Affordable Care Act thing. Okay, how's that work? Well, it pays your itself, except for the fact that we have to subsidize about twenty two million people for them to be able to afford it, and then even the people who aren't subsidized really can't afford it all that much. That works really well when you have it, but it really cost a hell of a lot of money. So we have to take government money to fund the healthcare program that we passed in the first place because we said it would save a lot of people. Well, then it doesn't pay for itself. It doesn't work. Well, it works, we just have to prop it up with subsidy. Well, then it doesn't work. If that's the case, And that's what they're dying on the sol far right now, or at least I guess the theater of dying on the hill for you and I. Meanwhile, we've had Republicans in power for a while, and when they continue to shoot down the Affordable Care Acts for pointing out what I just said and other things, nod your head and you agree with them, then you go, well, what's your plan? Well, have you heard any plans. I mean, we spend a lot. We're talking about spending on defense and ice and all these other things, not saying that those aren't bad causes, but healthcare is pretty important to a lot of us. And the older you got, the more important it is. Trust me, I'm the poster boy for that right now. It's not like Republicans are going, here's what we're going to do for healthcare other than oppose the ACA?
Speaker 7: What else?
Speaker 2: You got nothing? So, you know, instead of working for the party and our cause and our belief in getting us voted and get us in power, and the promises were going to change and everyone's life is going to be better, and we're going to hit you here. We are now well into Trump's term and I'm not quite seeing where all this money is. Everyone's going to be rich, and all the promises are made in the trail or not quite comes to fruition. Similarly, when Democrats get elected, same thing. The promises made are never kept. Some of them are the big ones day we kind of forgot about. But by and large, you know, healthcare isn't getting any better. It's getting worse. Arguably, it's getting worse. For us, but shutting government down to make for some gestures just stupid. It's irresponsible, which is fairly illustrative of how politics work for us, which is simply just not at all. But hey, the good news is Air Force and Navy are gonna play football this weekend, So the important stuff has been left open and saved by the federal government. And maybe we're a little bit cranky this morning because staying up late last night and getting fully invested in this Reds baseball team that bitterly disappointed us. Maybe there's another reason. Maybe looking well, you know, we've got the now we don't have the Bengals this weekend, got the Lions coming to town against the Bengals. And if you thought that Minnesota was bad, you think, okay, maybe that's a one not a one off, that's a trend. And I don't think the Lions are going to come in here and lay an egg. Probably not. And so we've time to look for things to distract us and go we'll take my man off the pain in agony real life, get me something new in jail. We don't even have that right now. I was tough watch last night. If you stayed up late to watch. I tuned out about the sixth seventh inning, said, I know how this movie is going to end. I guess I can watch the highlights in the morning, and I did, and I was like, yeah, I'm glad I got caught a few hours sleep last night. Reds get eliminated in LA at the hands of the almighty Dodgers. Is it a payroll issue? I Austin Olmore was just don said no, not as much, because Milwaukee's doing just fine and they have very low pay one of the lowest in baseball. So is it all a payroll issue or is it a front office issue?
Speaker 4: Now?
Speaker 2: The front office, starting today has to get to work, get some bats in the lineup to help the Reds get over the homp, and hopefully at this time next year we'll be talking not about a wild card, but god forbid, maybe a division championship. Maybe sitting out and going okay, we're getting ready to find out who we play the wildcard teams because we're not one of them. And then hopefully on the division we move around the divisionals and then the League Series and of course the World Series, and we'll see what happens. Hopefully that is the case. In twenty twenty six and twenty twenty seven for the Red Lags. Hopefully Joe Burrow heals in the offseason. I don't even know if he comes back in December, that's going to be enough the way this team is playing right now. But hopefully brighter days are ahead. I think that's probably true for our sports teams as well as this country. At some point we will wake up. That's how it is. Scott Flown Show at five, three, seven, four, nine, seven tho eight hundred, Big One Talkback iHeartRadio app coming up at ten oh seven this morning. Here's an interesting story that kind of developed when I was out, and that is a truce between the Archdiocese of Cincinnati and the Girl Scouts of Western Ohio. And in case you haven't heard the story, because there'sen a lot of important stories going, but I like to focus on the local stuff too. As the Archdiocese apparently did a onoint eighty, the Girl Scouts are going to get kicked out because of their very leftist pro I don't know abortion policies. I don't think that's probably true at all with Girl Scouts, but that's what the previous archbishop thought. We got a new archbishop and looked at it and said, no, no, that's that's not what the Girl Scouts are about. The Girl Scouts have been saved for our community. I think that is a wonderful thing, because if you don't believe me, and I know there are fewer kids and Scouting ever before, I think we need it now more than ever because if you look around at the bloodshed, the violence, the nonsense, and the problems that happened this summer throughout Cincinnati, I know the people that were doing that were probably not Girl Scouts and Boy Scouts. We kind of need more of them in these times, not fewer of them. Anyway. We'll get to that right after news update on the Home of the Bengals, the Home of the Reds, and other frustration. Seven hundred WWD Cincinnati. It's slowing off the DL and back on seven hundred w welw and it's good to be back after sitting around for a couple of weeks. Jump right back into it. So one of the stories I followed We All Together, was involving the Archdiocese of Cincinnati ending there over one hundred year partnership with the Girl Scouts of America because the bishop, the Archbishop Denis Schnur, I guess the former bishop, I should say at this point, just kind of out of the blue center letter to parishioners about a year ago explaining that at the end of this year, being twenty twenty five, every Girl Start Troope would be kicked off unless they converted to an American Heritage Girl Trooper leieve. And this had to do with some noise coming from the Girl Scouts nationally anyway, because out of you know this, but they kind of operate. They're like independent operators. They can pick and choose what type of things they want to teach and what they're gonna what programs are going to offer girls, and that depends on where you live. Makes sense, right, And so the Girl Scouts wasn't high largely under the Archidives Cincinnati are Catholics themselves, and so the concern was they're going to teach a LGBTQ plus curricula to the girls, which was never happening in the first place. And now you have a new archbishop and Robert Casey, who read this, looked at it and said, yeah, they haven't been doing it before, and they came to an agreement although I can't figure it out myself. If you come to an agreement on something you haven't violated and haven't been doing well, what was the point of this all? Exercise? Jo on the show this morning on seven hundred WLW, whos a Jennifer British? He's a west Side Derek Trupley a Girl Scout leader and joins the show once again to discuss well. First of all, congratulations Jennifer.
Speaker 4: Oh, thank you, Scott.
Speaker 5: And it's not just me that deserves congratulating. So many women work tirelessly with the archdiocese to come to disagreement.
Speaker 7: Where the world.
Speaker 2: I know that these days the scouting in generals and it's been declining and been looked down by many people for years. It peaked I think in the nineteen seventies. I was a Scout and my dad was an Eagle. My brother's an Eagle. So I've been through boy Scouts myself, and so it has a special place in my heart. I understand what it does for a young man and young women and does create future leaders. Gives you a base of knowledge. You get to experience different things that you may consider for career or vocation, whatever it might be, It makes you a broader person, more into a person. So I have a fun place in my heart for Scouting, and it tore my heart apart as yours did to see what you've gone through over the last year and seemingly unnecessarily.
Speaker 5: Yeah, yeah, I mean Scouting for me to family tradition, it's something that you know, I'm a truth leader. It gives me purpose, It gives me an opportunity to give back to girls and gives them opportunities that they would never have through school or through normal means. And so it's just it's an amazing program in general. To your point, we've been here a lot over the past year, a lot of uncertainty, a lot of fog over what would happen with our troops and and how we would continue to operate in the community. And this is a big day, a big deal for our troops and Catholic leaders across the arch type.
Speaker 2: The previous Archbishop, Denis Schnurr said, Girl Scouts embraced and promoted an impoverished worldview regarding gender and sexuality, and that includes the Girl Scouts of Western Ohio that the chapter's you on gender goes against Catholic teaching saying that they've used our false and harmful. But I've had you and others on the show several times and said, well, no, we you know, we don't teach that stuff. We don't have an inclusive together patch we hand out, we don't really celebrate LGBTQ plus prime months and recommending watching movies that may violate Catholic doctrine because you and other leaders are Catholic, so you're not going to teach something that violates your sensibilities.
Speaker 5: That's right, And every troop has the opportunity to create programming that specifics to the troops. You got to think, like, it's not just Catholic Girl Scouts. They're a Jewish Girl Scouts, they're Muslim Girl Scouts. What the Girl Scouts does is help us through the Girl Scout programming, you know, fortify our faith, so we can pursue anything that is specific to the girls that we are working for and the troop and what the troop wants to go after. This is not something that would ever enter into our troupe curriculum or programming. Our programming is really about strength and strengthen strengthening these women, these young ladies as the future leaders in our community, strong mothers, strong strong women who can advocate with themselves and and all of that. It's just not something that would ever enter into a programming. So to take it away from the girls, to take away this opportunity from girls just really struck us in the heart because it was something that it's so special to us, and specially.
Speaker 2: So yeah, I can't imagine that if you looked at the programming, and granted it's a VN diagram, there's going to be a lot of overlap. But if you looked at the programming for the Girl Scouts of Southern California, the Girl Scouts of Portland, Oregon, the Girl Scouts of Greater New York City metropolitan area, and compare that to Cincinnati and Louisville and Indianapolis and Columbus, that it's going to differ all that much. I mean, maybe there's differences between Cincinnati and Columbus Girl Scouts, but again, those are the nuances of where you live and what the community values are and that's not going to fly here in Southwest Ohio. It never has and so that's what left most of us scratching our head. I guess who try to analyze us and go, okay, well, what's the endgame here? What did Schnerr want? He just seemingly got some advice from I guess maybe at the national level and apply to to Cincinnati and even sitting down and talking with you folks, with you ladies, he wouldn't even listen to that. I mean, it was. It sounded like up until last minute it was a done deal until he was essential because of health reasons forced out.
Speaker 5: Yeah, it was. It came as a shock to all of us, including the Girl Scouts the Western Ohio. To my knowledge, they were in conversations and were surprised by the announcement as well, and it hit all of our group leaders at the same time. So we found out as the Girls scot leadership was finding out about it as well. But yes, it was. You know, Archbishoptioner is now retired for health reasons, as I understand it, and we have the new Archbishop, Robert Casey, and he took another look at it and realized the good the Girl Scouts does for young women across as arch diocees and not just young women that you know, women too. There's so many wonderful, amazing women who have dedicated their lives to Girl Scouts and getting back to the next generation of who were coming up, and we were all impacted severely. And you know, we talked last year, Scott, I talked about how these girls and my own daughter was looking at me saying, what did we do wrong? It just felt like such an indictment against us personally, that we had done something wrong or im moral that was obviously not the case. And so now I really feel strongly and I'm so thankful and have so much gratitude to Archbishop Casey for taking another look at this and realizing that we can be Girl Scouts and Catholic at the same time and help with the formation of our girls in both. In both areas, we can be fully who we are and helped to pass along good values, good morals, the teachings of the Gospel to these girls through Scouting.
Speaker 2: Jennifer Brady here she is a Westside Troop leader of Girl Scouts of Southwestern Ohio and the Catholic Church the Archdiocese under the new bishop, the newer Bishop, Anyway, Robert Casey, has decided to allow Girl Scouts to continue as they have been for now over one hundred years. You can see your one hundred year partnership continue, which is a wonderful thing. I look through the Memorandum of Understanding the MoU as we call it, and what changed.
Speaker 5: I think that there's more guidelines for TRUP leaders and pastors now in terms of use of diocese and property. True leaders are going to have to and we were anyway, we're going to have to demonstrate our care for our Catholic faith and morals and making sure that we are are upholding those if we already use diosts and property. I think it's a good thing. I think this is a good thing Scott, because I mean, truth be told, I don't know that the church really understood what the girls of their parishes were doing or how they were interacting outside of school and church. And now they're going to take an active look and they're going to be paying attention and they're going to see and this is truly what was so disheartening about the decision last year is I don't nobody at the archdiocese they asked some level, had come to a TRUP meeting or asked what we were doing, or really understood the programming that we were doing for our girls, and now they will. They have to and we have to and that dialogue, that interchange is so valuable and so important. It gives us a voice, It helps us be who we are, It helps us be part of the broader church community, and that's huge.
Speaker 2: So what you're saying is the archdiocese, who for one hundred years welcome Girl Scouts, never really knew what the Girl Scouts are doing? Is that more on them? Are you.
Speaker 5: You know? Good question? I think both. Yeah, I think we both bear a responsibility for that. I can't say I don't know what happened one hundred years ago, but at least my time as trup leader, there was not a lot of exchange of information at the troop level right in terms of what we were doing. But now we're going to have to do that, and that's a good thing.
Speaker 2: Is it frustrating to think that that Schner not only didn't know, but didn't want to know because you offered I mean, you guys said, hey, look here's what we do. Here's a nope, don't care. You guys are out.
Speaker 5: It is a little frustrating. I mean I did have meetings with archdiocese personnel leadership trying to explain what it was that we did at the troop level, but by then the decision has already been made. I think the most frustrating part of it is, you know, a year has gone into this, so many women have poured their hearts and souls into these conversations and trying to make this right and trying to advocate for our girls. And truly we're right back where we started. So there's been a lot of emotional upheopal and here we are. The good that has come out of it is a broader understanding. I think of Girl Scout programming in our Catholic parishes and I think, like I said before, the archdiocese, parish leadership, pastor's priest will be more involved with the formation of the girls in other ways.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I mean, it's one thing to go, hey, what are you guys doing, because we're hearing disturbing things from other Girl Scouts facility in other states and areas, what are you guys doing specific or But to not even listen to what you guys presented to me is abhorrent. And at the same time I realized that Archbishop Schner had to leave and retire because of medical reasons. Had that not occurred, we wouldn't be having this conversation. What do you guys, would just simply.
Speaker 5: Be out Yeah, one hundred percent. I truly believe that it was ar Cases taking a look at this, understanding what our girls needed and that, you know, their formation as Catholic women is bigger than just what they can learn at school.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 5: And by the way, they're going to be in a secular world, They're going to be exposed to things at some point in time. It is important that we expose them in the bounds of like a comfortable and safe place. And I'm not advocating for exposure to DEI, gender identity content anything like that, but it's important that we look at them as whole people who will be out in the world, will not be sheltered by their parish community for their entire lives. So Arch Casey took a look at that, understood that, and realized that the full formation of girls is equally as important as just their spiritual formation, and gave us another shot. And I'm I'm just so grateful.
Speaker 2: It feels like a new era in the Archdiocese of Cincinnati with Robert Casey. And this is not the first good thing I've heard about him and some of the decisions he made maybe been a little bit younger and open mind and going, hey, you know, we need to kick the time, take a look at things as opposed to just simply listening to another voice or outside. I don't know what Schner was listening to, if anyone seemed like his mind was made out about eliminating girl Scouts had been around for one hundred years in Cincinnati, and you know, as conservative and traditional as we are here in Cincinnati, you know, you start messing with things like the girl Scouts. To me, that's up there, scoutings up there with like baseball in the American flag in Cony dogs.
Speaker 5: Right, yes, yes, that's why it was such a head scratcher when the decision came down. It's like, why why take up dismantle with girl Scouts in your in your parishes? You know, there's so many other bigger things to fight or to advocate for for our community other than girl Scouts in troops where we're trusted adults. So, by the way, have to go through extensive training for the archdises just to volunteer for these for these troops and these positions trusted adults are not trusted in that way to take care of these girls. And so yeah, I mean it's it's it's been a conundrum that we've been wrestling with for quite some time. I think Archbishop Casey took another look at and said, you know what, we have to trust the women of our parish or leading these troops. We have to have a little bit more oversight, we have to have a little bit better understanding, and they have to you know, prove what they're doing with on bass and property. That's not a problem for us. I'm always been more than open about sharing exactly what it is that we're doing. I think it's it's amazing that people want to know and want to care about what it is that we're teaching girls. But to your point about just a change in what's happening in the art at the archdiopcy level, I'm so hopeful that Archbishop Casey has come in and taking a look at things and said, you know what, there's another way to do this. This is not an indictment for me on Archbishop Schner, but I think that there's always more than one way to get things done, and if we can be open minded enough and listen to each other enough and more we can find a pass forward. And it's even the toughest, toughest things that we have to.
Speaker 2: Well, well, that's a tenant of the gospel, is that the conversation right and learning from each other, and that was completely absent when it came to Archbishop Sneer. Robert Casey sounds like a guy wants to sit down and listen. And quite honestly, there's been no you guys haven't chance to change your policy at all. That's what I look at this MoU and go, hey, three years you got the deal done, and certainly you know they knowing what you're about, and you knowing what they are about, you can strike a partnership. But I think that was one way street for so long. I don't know why and how it got lost in the in the mind of Schner. But Robert Casey sounds like a good guy in this regard and welcome to the girl scouts back. And I think too, if you look at this long brutal summer that we had large and a lot of a teen violence involved, and a lot of teens doing the wrong thing scouting and girls scouting in particular, or something. As you mentioned, it creates virtuous, upstanding young women. We need more of that, not less.
Speaker 5: Not less, problem solving people who are critical thinkers, people who can help to lead their community through you know, tough times, all of these things Scouting does. All of these things Scouting does, and so yes, we absolutely need more of that. And that's what I mean when I say it's not just it's religious formation first and foremost, the formation of young women into good, upstanding, contributing members of society. This is one of those programs that does it, you know, and the other thing that this whole situation is really done. I do think that there's some positivity that's coming out of it. When I share the news with my daughter, she was just so proud. The girls actually were advocating from themselves.
Speaker 4: Good.
Speaker 5: I don't know if you know that, but the girls were sending letters to the archbishop, you know, coloring pictures and saying things like, you know, how important girl Scouts lives to them. There was an archdiocese why letter writing campaign. And so what we've taught our girls through and through all of this is that their voices matter, that they can advocate for themselves, that they can ask for more and they're not. They truly can't stand up as leaders in their community. When I share the news with my daughter, she looked at me, up at me, and oh, tears in her eyes. This will get emotional. But we did it, mom, we did it. And I said, yes, we did. We did it as a community of women, faithful women who care about the people around us and the community around us and making a better day.
Speaker 4: And we did it.
Speaker 7: We're so so happy.
Speaker 2: That has got to be because that's a rare moment for parents are to empower your child like that, to say, hey, you know what, if you fight hard enough for something you believe and you can make a difference, you can win, you can be you can't win and get what you want if you try to do it the right way. And I mean that's something is to carry her for the rest of her life. That's a that's a core tenant that she saw in action. How cool is that?
Speaker 5: Oh, it's amazing. My heart felt with a lot of pride, not just for the work that I did, minimal, you know, work that I did, but the work that so many women the Catholic Committee for GSWO GSWO Leadership, I mean, they were the ones at the table having these tough conversations, negotiating, compromising, coming up with a pass forward. That's the hard work. But our girls, their voices are the reasons why and care for them are the reasons why we got to see They got to see it at the table to make this happen. So yes, it's an amazing opportunity for these young girls to see what advocacy and action can lead to. I can't tell you how many people Scott told me last year, You're not going to change any thing. That's impossible. This is what it is. Move on, and we didn't. The girls and the women of Girl Scouts in the archdiocese didn't move on. We didn't stop to continue to advocate for ourselves in the right way, in a positive way with this course.
Speaker 2: Jennifer Brady, west Side Troop Leader, congratulations and a victory well deserved. All the best to you, Scott, Thank you, Take care. Yeah, I hear that I can help, but think that you know, God works in mysterious ways, and you certainly never want to pray for someone else's demise or you know, health or something like that. But the timing of Archbishop Schneer getting sick and having to resign because of health reasons. It certainly worked out for the Girl Scouts in this case because had he not, they would be done. And that is it's an abomination not to not to sit down at least listen to what they have to say. You have all the credit in the world to Robert Kaser for being that guy. Time out Mortifile Sloany seven hundred WLW.
Speaker 6: Time for your girl too, taking on that trending topics on social media, breaking down the latest celebrity in music news. Then you off on all local nightline anything else she feels like talking about. This is three things with Tiff Potter on seven hundred El Jelly.
Speaker 2: What is good to be back? My girl Tiff Potter is here from Kissleno seven to one. How about that forget how to do this segment that what is to be a man? To go through life as a man?
Speaker 8: Your tendant was ruptured for months.
Speaker 7: And you're like, why am I in so much pain?
Speaker 8: And then you go and they're like, we basically need to cut this thing off and give you a new leg.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I got a whole new leg right now. It's a little Barbie leg too. It's a little weird pretty if you're the pink now it's going to be like a Barbie leg is the atrophy probably is.
Speaker 8: What the I still cannot get over the fact that you went that long with an injury that required that much time off.
Speaker 2: Well, right, I know what what does that say about Joe Burrow?
Speaker 7: For real? No, for real?
Speaker 2: Three months? My toe I had a ruptured tendon. And I'm thirty years older than you are. A son tough at that now. Yeah, I had a ruptured tendon to my foot. It turned out was I had a little bit of foot paint. Been doing that for a couple of months. But all good. You want to know, I don't want to hear about how hard is it when you women give birth. You guys have for three months been on the air for a minute and a half.
Speaker 7: Were not going there.
Speaker 8: I missed you, and I host you to I haven't used my computer in so long that it decided right now is the time to update, so as I get myself organized here a little bit.
Speaker 2: By the way, if you're like, I'll give you a second to pause, because if you ever have to do this and take because like longer than three days it's Family Medical Leave Act kicks and then they tapp in your sick days that way. So I came back this morning, and I should have came come in like three hours earlier, because just to log back into email and get back like online in this monitor, it's a whole thing. It's like a whole thing out on maternity leak. I was gone non back.
Speaker 8: So okay, Well, while you were gone, I realized I have a tattoo because of one man in Cincinnati.
Speaker 2: Your tattoo lists up to this point, well, virgin skin.
Speaker 8: The only one I have is because of this one man in Cincinnati. Give me a hot second. We'll get there. We have things to debrief. Obviously, you saw the Super Bowl halftime announcement.
Speaker 2: We have to talk about that.
Speaker 8: Talk about Taylor Swift, the biggest thing on the internet, maybe a little Cardi B and maybe one or two other things. So I realized this yesterday that I have a tattoo, the only one I've ever gotten, and if the invisible string theory exists, it has nothing to do with romance in my life apparently, and has everything to do with the Cincinnati Reds. Okay, after it didn't go well for us, last night, but I think we're gonna be patient with Tito.
Speaker 2: Oh my god, I can't believe you got a twenty twenty five world champion. Maybe premature.
Speaker 8: No, this happened actually back in two thousand and eight, when I turned eighteen, after the Red Sox won the World Series, I got a matching tattoo with my best friend for the Red Sox.
Speaker 7: Do you know who managed the club at that time?
Speaker 8: Jerry Franco exactly came back around, started managing the Reds, took them to the playoffs in.
Speaker 2: Their first year.
Speaker 8: And who knew back when I was eighteen, I'm now thirty five. I got a tattoo that would eventually, in some weird way.
Speaker 7: Time you back to Cincinnati.
Speaker 2: Oh cool, I thought you didn't have to to. I thought you said you had not to.
Speaker 8: You just it's on my foot, and I'm not like Rick Uchino, where I'll wear a funk sandal in public.
Speaker 2: I think there's a shot I can hear your little scooter rolling around in the background. It really does.
Speaker 6: So.
Speaker 8: Unfortunately, we took the l yesterday a little bummed about that. I'm sure a lot of Cincinnatians wear that scar. It just keeps us the wound that keeps opening.
Speaker 2: Do you watch lesson last night? I know what's I know your schedule. I know you get it to eight now.
Speaker 7: I don't even have cable to watch.
Speaker 2: Oh right.
Speaker 8: What I do love about this, and I know we're forward thinking to opening day, is that we open against the Red Sox.
Speaker 7: Yeah, so that'd be pretty Coqel.
Speaker 2: Twenty six, I think of March believe. Yeah, okay, let's talk about it.
Speaker 8: I am excited that Bad Bunny is doing the Super Bowl halftime show.
Speaker 2: Per usual, I got it so wrong. Was on your list at all?
Speaker 8: Not even not even in the nowhere in the alphabet.
Speaker 2: I have never seen a streak of someone Quite honestly, is this young lady here, my good friend Tiff Potter is incorrectly guessing who is going to be even the shortly give me five artists, not even anywhere near it. Bad Bunny would not be on it. No, I didn't even think of that.
Speaker 8: I am per usual. Every decision comes with backlash. But overall, if you were entertained, not if you liked, but if you were entertained by Kendall Lamar in any way, then you will most certainly be entertained by Bad Bunny because he is just he's good like that. His shows are super energetic, so I have a feeling it'll be extremely entertaining.
Speaker 7: Will you understand all of it? No?
Speaker 8: And I thought that was a bold choice by jay Z. But you know, so far in the last couple of years since he took over, we had Rihanna, Usher Kendrick and now bad Money with Apple.
Speaker 2: What is the reaction, Ben you said some of it not good. As far as what catalog the fact that he's I think it's just do do people know him?
Speaker 8: And will they? Will they know the lyrics? Will they know the words? Just about everything he does is in Spanish.
Speaker 2: I did like.
Speaker 8: Puerto Rican So sorry if I forgot to mention that here he is after jay Z called him and made the announcement. Cool cool, Cool, Still doing the update on the computer. I'll work on that. But in the meantime, sing it.
Speaker 2: Not quite Other.
Speaker 8: Big things that happened while you were away and is kind of bleeding into today. We are just hours away from a brand new Taylor Swift album and she is putting out her album tonight at midnight. Kiss one oh seven one has kind of been your home and your.
Speaker 4: Go to it's.
Speaker 2: It is so annoying the world's number one audio company. Just want to point that out. No, this is a user era. It has nothing to do with their company.
Speaker 8: It's all because I haven't used this computer since you've been gone, and it needed to update four hundred and seventy five things right before we went on there.
Speaker 2: Because you know what, it's just easy to throw the man under the bus. You take the bullet. I'm taking the bullet on this, but it's my fault.
Speaker 8: So album comes out Life of a show Girl tonight at midnight if you are a in person person. At seven am this morning, we kicked off our partnership with Kiss and high Ball Sincy, which is a bar right around the corner from Finley Market, we're playing every album back to back to back, leading all the way up to Life of a show Girl tonight at midnight. If you're like not for me, I I don't want to be in person. iHeartRadio and Kiss. One oh seven one are going to have exclusive content from Taylor. She's taking over our radio station tonight and she'll go through the album.
Speaker 2: Track by track. We'll talk about it.
Speaker 8: So I think that this is going to be the biggest thing for the next probably week.
Speaker 7: I know it's my super.
Speaker 8: Bowl on my show and my radio station, and so therefore it will eventually bleed over to yours well.
Speaker 2: As a position to sit on my ass and soak in entertainment, because like I do right now, I will say that she has dominated that that sphere for sure, at least in my opinion. And I saw a little promo for her album where she's dressed as a showgirl and comes out over with a poster and like trips over them the lamplote, which I thought with Madie giggle because I love that self deprecating kind of you know, she's really good at that she is, and Life of a Showgirl is the title of the album. If I forgot to mention, she's dress as a show girl with a poster of her and then trips over a thing and then yeah.
Speaker 7: Ah my god, this laptop is really bothering me.
Speaker 4: I'm sorry.
Speaker 2: I could have prepared a little bit for this.
Speaker 7: We are just coming in real hot.
Speaker 2: I did my bid I'm here.
Speaker 8: Well, those are the bigger pop culture moments outside of that. Carti B and Nicki Minaj have really started getting into it on the internet. Now for the third day, let me give you a little bit of a brief history. Cardi B's album Am I the Drama came out last Friday because she has been taken over, might have been even the Friday before that.
Speaker 7: She's been taking over the last week or two.
Speaker 8: Nicki Minaj and her haven't gotten along in several years. And I think it's really because Nicki just likes to think that she is the queen of New York, the queen of the New York rapt scene. She thinks that Cardi B should bow down to her. Cardi B comes along. At first they tried to be friends, then things down the line ended up shifting, and then really ever since then, Nicki.
Speaker 2: Has had a lot to say about Carti.
Speaker 8: Carti I think has the upper hand in this kind of battle at the moment, because Nicki keeps bringing in the kids and started saying things on Twitter that I probably can can't even read out loud on this radio, probably don't want to get fired on our first day back together. So it finally got to the point where Carti had said, listen, like drop the address, like I'll come and show up wherever you are. She also had made some pretty bold claims about claims about Nicki on potentially having bipolar disorders and being addicted to drugs, And the only reason why I think there might be some validity to that now, granted, I don't know Nicki Minaj's medical history, and I almost feel a little ridiculous talking about a rap beef on seven hundred wow, but it really is very big on the internet, and you.
Speaker 2: Might scroll past it, and I want to make sure you're in the living, big part of hip hop for a long time. You have that right.
Speaker 8: There's always beef right, and that's why I'm not surprised that her and Nicki go back and forth.
Speaker 2: It is what it is, that's our culture. So the only reason I think.
Speaker 8: There might be some validity to the mental health things that Carti said about Niki is because sometimes Nicki does come off as a little on the like unhinged side, like why are we even talking.
Speaker 2: About this right now?
Speaker 8: But again, I'm not naive to think that it isn't just all a part of the game, like no press is bad press.
Speaker 2: The thing I think it's I think a lot of this is pro wrestling. I think a lot of it is now I don't know when bullets fly, and that's you know that kind that's a different story entirely when there's actually, you know, someone dies, different stories.
Speaker 8: I don't think it would come to so Carti is gonna be in Sincy one time, but potentially two. So her tour comes to heritage in March. And she also is dating Stephan Diggs. Now, who does Stephan Diggs play for Patriots? Patriots come here on the weekend of Thanksgiving? Yes, so we could see maybe Carti could see Cardi here twice.
Speaker 2: Why would she she would come here?
Speaker 8: I think she wants to support Steph on she's pregnant with her fourth child.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it says, so we'll see what comes to that. That's awesome. Shall we check to see if my laptop works. Let's see, let's see maybe maybe by Tuesday, we'll see. There's all the way is always Tuesday.
Speaker 7: There's always that.
Speaker 8: What I think that those are the big things, Cardi happened. I thought of you during the super Bowl halftime announcement. Taylor's coming out tonight. I have a tattoo back to the super Bowl.
Speaker 2: Do you think there's gonna because I think a lot of people don't you know older like myself. I know, I think probably would recognize a couple of the songs, but I can't say I'm a bad bunny expert. I know he's Puerto Rican, but I wonder how much of a backlash there's going to be with that element because all those songs are in Spanish. With an American sport like football. Now, the NFL has made tremendous ord's trying to grow market share by having games in Dublin and in London and of course in South America. That's part of this. If you found football all, you know this can't possibly be surprised as they tried to expand.
Speaker 7: That was my question for you.
Speaker 8: Do you think that this is a little bit more of let's say, a power.
Speaker 2: Play by the NFL than it is anything else. I turned it off.
Speaker 7: It just keeps updating.
Speaker 2: No, I think they're trying to expand to younger audiences, and I think you're older and you're offended by this and want to see, you know, I don't know, Bruce Springsteen again or something like that. You're probably not going anytime soon because the money is in the younger demos, it's in gen z R audience. Isn't like even I would say, certainly. I don't want to discount you millennials, but I think it's about building a base with gen zers. And look at the flag football thing. It's interesting. They really lean the flag football so they can get more younger people, kids, young women to play and get invested in the game of football, so they become customers in the future. That's what this is all about.
Speaker 8: I think you make a great point. I do want to squeeze one or two more things in if we.
Speaker 7: Have the time.
Speaker 2: Do you have the sound for it? The audio?
Speaker 5: I do?
Speaker 2: Well, let's see.
Speaker 8: Let's see world famous Jane Goodall, Oh yeah, passed away yesterday at the age of ninety one.
Speaker 2: That woman was working literally up until her death.
Speaker 8: She was on tour for her book that came out in twenty twenty one, and she had passed passed away while out on the tour. I guess of natural causes, and let's see if this works. Nope, still doesn't work.
Speaker 2: That is one big gorilla.
Speaker 8: She was one of only eight people to be able to get a degree or a doctorate without having a college degree. And I don't know how that works, but I read that this morning the honorary then right, no, no, no, this is legitimate, Jeane Girdlea. You just get to skip ahead.
Speaker 2: You don't have to take biology one oh one, you don't have to take intro to psychology.
Speaker 8: I think it's because the woman literally lived in the woods with the monkeys on her own. I had seen a little bit of her documentary on Hulu. I recommend it. I don't think I ever finished it, but I remember being super intrigued by it. The woman was out in the jungle on her own when she was in her twenties.
Speaker 2: Didn't get her head ripped off or nothing. So some of these people are like, oh, they're just like us, wind up dying horrific death because the animals don't think that we're like them. They think they'll Loogan eventually go, you know what, this guy's pissing me off. I'm gonna eat them, Jane, any primate, right, she really became one of the chimpanzees, and I think her research want it was known for just understanding them and then stopping the use of the of chimpanzees for science, for entertainment and stuff like that. Ninety one though, that's a good long life for someone who's but good. And there's somebody to be said about that too. Is we age? And you know when you retire and quit, there's some people at work and they just that's ther whole purpose in life, and they just keep on going. She's one of those.
Speaker 7: Yeah good.
Speaker 8: I have never felt like a segment dragged on for so long in my life.
Speaker 2: And keep waiting for your computer to wow.
Speaker 7: Like, I can't believe it.
Speaker 8: We've gone three weeks without talking, and I'm like, how do I do this job?
Speaker 2: What's the wrong with that? Between my foot and your mystery tattoo?
Speaker 8: Oh my god, wait until you hear I'm about to book a forty five hundred dollars flight for someone that I'm dating four thousand.
Speaker 2: I was going to think that the tattoo would have been of this person, not Oh come on, you know me. I know you, so you get but sometimes you get invested in something and you push all those chips in the middle of the table. You know, don't read the room. We commit, we go hard. Don't read the room. She's Tip Potter kiss one of seven one mornings, and she pops in Tuesday Thursdays with three things at the top of thet all right, appreciate you. Good to be back when you get a news update in and when we return. Speaking of those red legs, what's next after there? Should I don't think stunning is the right word. I would say the sobering wake up call of what big payroll teams are going to do to you doesn't mean you can't get it done. Look at the Milwaukee Brewers, but Red's got some work to do. The offseason chat with Jeff Cup from Lockdown. Reds just ahead on seven hundred WW. Since then, do you want to slow me back on seven hundred WW? That's what I said back on seven hundred W dow Barring some ankle surgery, severed ten completely ruptured tendon that I'm dealing with, but you know what, that can be repaired. That can be Can the Reds be repaired? That's the question now. Sunday we had champagne. The hangover lasted till Wednesday, then sobriety hit last night. He looked in the mirror and go, what the hell did I do when I was drinking champagne? Eight to four last night the final despite two early runs, they couldn't compete. The Cockerroaches have been exterminated outscore eighteen to nine, and the longest drought in professional sports continues. The agony of the Reds not advancing is going to be known at least another year on it As our buddy from Lockdown, Red's the only daily Reds podcast, that'd be Jeff Carr. He's gonna have a lot to talk about in the offseason starting today, Jeffrey, Welcome, Hi you Ben Sony. It's been a wild ride.
Speaker 4: Like you mentioned, it felt like celebration turned to reality far, far too quick. But that's been the reality of Red's postseason baseball in the recent history.
Speaker 2: I know I'll be a little bit more optimistic probably here. I know that you look around the wrestling game and watching day baseball on the IR as I was watching Detroit in Cleveland. They're going to play a game three today. San Diego's at Chicago and the Cubbies. Hopefully we're gon limit the Cubbies here San Diego and then Boston. New York was great game last night and he thought, well, can they go four for four? Can all four wild card games advanced to a pivotal Game three? And the answer was no. The Reds let us down. If any of those teams they'll face the Dodgers instead of US. I think that the Dodgers probably beat a lot of those teams, if not almost all those teams saved maybe I don't know, maybe New York or Boston. I think they could beat Cleveland. I think they could be Detroit. I think they could probably beat Chicago. It just happens we drew the Dodgers. That starting pitching is going to be so hard for anybody to be there. I mean, the way that Yamamoto and Blake Snell were both dealing, didn't feel like there was a whole lot of lineups that could really hang with them. It's just the pitching side of things for the Reds ended up letting them down, which was the big twist that we were all not expecting.
Speaker 4: In this story.
Speaker 2: But I agree with you.
Speaker 4: I think the Dodgers pitching really was the impressive part of this. Their lineup did what we all expected it today.
Speaker 2: Yeah, right, and they absolutely mowed him down. And then you look at the Dodgers and you watch how they played, going all, how the hell could they be in the wild the wild guard? How is that possible?
Speaker 4: There's a reason, especially they're in the wildcard, right, right, It's just I mean, Philly and Milwaukee had great seasons. It's interesting because going into the year, the Dodgers over under win total was at one hundred and three and a half, so based on that, they really underachieved at ninety three. But boy, ninety three looks a lot better than eighty three if you're looking from the Reds point of view.
Speaker 2: Yeah, no question. The criticism was fast and furious, and that started with Tel getting the start. They worked Lodola out of the pen. I don't think he had like a dozen pitches maybe, And the question mark is, well, why are we saving Andrew Abbott for today? There is no today?
Speaker 4: Right, I mean I didn't understand. I know that there was a little bit of a discussion about short rest and things like that, but in a short playoff series. We talked many times this year about the fact that with Green, Lodolo and Abbot you feel really confident going up against anybody. Well, in this series Green got was tipping pitches or something like that and got a little bit blinded by the like Nickelodolo threw fourteen total pitches and Andrew Rabbit threw zero of them. Those are the three guys that you were expecting to be a huge reason why the Reds could compete with anybody, and quite frankly, they were three of the least important players in this series, or at least you know, Green was one of the most important as far as negatively, and then Nickelodolo and Andrew Rabbit were next to Superpluis.
Speaker 2: Well, yeah, you don't know what you're getting on Lego. I mean, I was as shocked as anybody that Hunter Green had the outing that he did in Game one. Yeah.
Speaker 4: Yeah, he turned back the clock, but not in a great way. And I think it was immediately whenever he gave up the home run to Otani, he stopped being a pitcher and he went back to being a thrower. And I think that's probably why, you know, Busseroni was talking about he was tipping his pitches and all the other stuff. But quite frankly, us Reds fans know what Hunter Green looks like when he's pitching versus what he's looks like when he's throwing. I mean, he wasn't able to use the splitter. He tried to throw it a couple of times, and he spiked it in the ground and his slider was not landing for strikes. It was starting on the plate and breaking off the plate, so Dodger sitters knew they could lay off of it. And then whenever he would go to throw his fastball, it just caught way too much of the plate. And so that was watching old Hunter Green pitch again. I think part of it was it's like, man, this is his first playoff start, and then they add all of this other stuff onto it. Oh, you know, hometown kid. He's coming back home faced the team he watched growing up, and all this other stuff, and I think just everything just caught up to him the moment that show Heyo Tani hit that ball to the movie.
Speaker 2: Yeah, Hunter Green was obviously a lock in Game one, but Lodolo come out of the pen for a limited appearance, and then Abbott waited till today. He was going to throw him today and there was no today. There's only yesterday. Did Tito explain that zach ly telstar.
Speaker 4: I didn't hear like specifically. I think they cited the short rest for Andrew Rabbit, but I didn't hear like specifically why it was the Tel But I just find it so weird funny, especially the short outing for Nickolodolo. Okay, if he throws in relief on Sunday and you want to keep him in that role for some reason, fine, but throw him for at least two any at least two or three innies. He could totally do that.
Speaker 2: All right. So the Reds limp home and a lot of soul searching can be done the offseason. And for those who are like, okay, well here we go again. You know, Burrow goes down in the injury, the Bengals are done. How many days till opening day? The Reds disappointed they get the only team in the wild card. He gets swept as our Cincinnati Reds. The misery continues for another year. Haven't even tasted the postseason. Postseason success at this point. Keep in mind, and you mentioned Hunter Green, very young roster, A lot of guys have not seen postseason play, and a lot of those guys, wilted I thought it was surprising to show that contrast, as a guy like Hunter Green thought, man, he's gonna go out there and just dominate. He did not, could barely get out of the first inning. It is a guy in Matt McClain whose defense has been spectacular all season. His bat has been absent for most of the season, been terrible at the plate. Had it not been for his glove, he would have been sent back down, I would think, or at least at least benched at the very least. And yet he comes out and he smokes a double. When is the last time he got a hit, let alone a double. He played pretty well, So you know, it's about getting those experience, those moments of experience, I think in the postseason, Jeff, and then of course we'll talk about this in a minute, that's him adding some pieces. But the I think the youngness of this team, the youth of this club really showed up.
Speaker 4: Yeah, if there's anything that I can glean from the fact that they just kind of.
Speaker 2: Got dog walked by the Dodgers.
Speaker 4: That now they can at least draw from this experience. They showed up and they did the thing. You know, everybody was saying they don't believe in him and all this other stuff, and they showed why nobody believed them because they got ran over by the Dodgers. And I think that that's actually going to be a positive. They're going to get to a point next year where maybe they hit some struggles and they can draw back on this season where you know, the whole cockroaches thing, which quite frankly, I'm kind of glad that's done.
Speaker 2: Let's do something else next year. I don't love that Moniker.
Speaker 6: But I get it.
Speaker 2: I understand it's thirty. It's dirty, I suppose, but okay, I mean, you know, it took the Mets to screw things up for you to get in. It's not like, yeah, yeah, yeah, I know what's in Milwaukee. But it's not like Milwaukee is playing all their starters anyway. They're resting up for a long playoff run. So you know, way, whatever helps you get up the next day and get motivated, that's fine, right.
Speaker 4: But the good news is they can draw on this experience for next year, and because they know that playoffs baseball sounds different. But you know, once you get into inning two, inning three, inning four, there's still three outs, there's still three strikes, there's still four balls, and there's still twenty seven ounces. You got to get on the opponent. And at the end of the day, it's the same baseball game you've been playing all your life. And I think that that, more than anything, is going to be such a huge, a huge lesson for this team moving into an offseason that you know, they should be full of lessons based on what's happened this year and different things that they need to answer before twenty twenty six gets going.
Speaker 2: All right, how much of this then is going to be turned towards the front office and this offseason Terry Francona, despite the criticism about Zach Lettel, despite some of the criticisms done, like, as a Hall of Fame manager, you can't get better than Terry Francona. He got you to the postseason, something the Reds haven't tasted a long time. At the same time, now the front office has to give an ownership has to give Terry Francona something to play with. You know, a lot is made about payrolls, and we've always heard about is a three hundred and fifty million dollar Dodger payroll, Dodger payroll, this huge Dodger peril. Meanwhile, they're also a wildcard team. So how much of the cry about payroll disparity and that we're among the lowest MLBA is really relevant in this case? How much of that do you weigh on payroll?
Speaker 4: This loss I don't put as much as other people do. I mean, think about it too, like the Mets actually technically had a bigger payroll than the Dodgers did, and they collapsed entirely and didn't make the playoffs. So I don't think it is, as you know, one for one, indicative of success, but I certainly think it would help. At the same point, there were different I saw a post that had to do with peers of payroll, and the Reds are in the bottom tier, and they've been in the bottom tier for a long time. It just feels like if they put a little bit more, not saying they got to put one hundred and fifty million dollars more, but like just a little bit more, maybe twenty thirty million more into the payroll than what they did this past year, then they will get everything that they need. And I mean, you're talking about twenty four million coming off the books for Nick Martinez. You're talking about a couple of million more for some of the other guys that'll be leaving via free agency from the bullpen. Obviously those guys need to be replaced, but it feels like they're going to have somewhere between thirty and thirty five million from what they spent this year to spend on free agents and arbitration contracts, and so if they add a little bit more to that, they could really go for something here, including you know everyone's favorite son from Middletown, Kylee Shwarber.
Speaker 2: Yeah, maybe there's a college Swarber there. On the other high side, a lot was put on someone like Ellie de la Cruz. I mean, we heard the story last night about Rick Stowe giving him number forty four because you run out of Eric Davis. I'll tell you what. I saw Eric Davis as his prime and you did too. Ellie da la Cruz is not quite Eric Davis yet.
Speaker 4: No he's not. And that was the other part of this Dodgers series that surprised me because it looked like down the stretch he was getting the second wind. That looked as if he was ready for the big for the big stage here again. And we've seen him play very well against the Dodgers, but the Dodgers have completely shut him down this year. And then the two game Wildcard series, really, I mean, he was a non factor. He was on base a couple of times in the first game by a walk and then he had a fielders choice that got an rv I. But that's it. Like there was no impactful moment for Elie de la Cruz, especially there in Game two where he comes up in the sixth thenning with the bases loaded, and it feels like this is a moment where he can make a name for himself, and he struck out, and I think that there's definitely a lot that he can glean. He's still very early on in his career, but yeah, you're right. I mean he's not there yet. He still remains a bunch of potential rather than approven product.
Speaker 2: Yeah, there's a number of young guys in this roster that that pop out at you, going, well, there's a guy to build round one of those guys. I've been joined to watch the season of Sales Stewart, and I know he took it hard. He took it on himself, saying we lost that game because of my errand throw. But keep in mind he got up in a couple of clutch hits for that matter, and some just smart baseball plays. I like Sales Stewart a lot, and I look at him and go, Okay, there's a guy that's going to be a cornerstone for a while.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I feel like there might be a dozen things that open on the list before I get to South Stewart for that game last night. I do really like what he brings to the table. He's got so much confidence when he steps into the box. I mean, you saw it. Yamamoto was just mowing people down, but every time salth Stewart stepped in it was very good at back. It did strike out once, but a couple of very impactful hits in this game. And I really like what sal brings to this team. I mean, he got caught up in the beginning of September and he provided a couple of homers for him down the stretch. Didn't look like, you know, oh hey kid, welcome to the big leagues. By the way, we're in a pennant race, and don't mess anything up here. And he didn't. He looked fantastic, and he's got a great personality to root for too. I just I really hope that they commit to one position with him, because they keep doing this thing where, you know, so they get somebody on the roster and they're like, oh, well he could play anything. It's like, well, give him, give him a position, and I feel like he looked good at first. He's looked good at third base in his minor league career as well. There's gonna be so many options open to this front office this off season because of guys like South Stewart, but they've really got to make sure that they have a plane in place next year and not this current roster that feels like it has a whole bunch of square pegs for square holes. But there's only so many holes you can fill, and they've got far too many pegs.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I love Sales Stewart also because he looks like a lot like a young Al Capone. He's Jeff Carr with locked on Reds this morning, wrapping up the red season and not ending the way we hoped or wanted. But the reality is you got bum rushed by the La Dodgers, who are a much much better team than their position, and seating would lead you to believior just to look off the street. But I think the Dodgers are gonna they may have a good chance of going from a wild card to World Series back to back champions because they look that damn good. They just continue to come at you with play after play after player, and you know that too. Nothing lead that they had last night early like that, Well, they're going to have to probably quadruple that if they got a chance down the stretch, they did not, And long about after what the fourth or fifth inning, they started having to play from behind, and that's not a good when you're in the position the Cincinnati Reds are, but got to the postseason. The goal next season is going to go much much deeper in the playoffs. And how much of that is retaining some of the core guys you mentioned We're gonna lose some guys in free agency, which all teams do, but also what they add, what do you think happens in the next what four and a half five months here?
Speaker 4: I think it really depends on how concrete a position they believe. Elie de la Cruz has a shortstop, If they're going to move him to the outfield or something like that, that would open up more opportunities for enfielders. But it feels like this team is full of infielders and they've tried to move some to the outfield and it just doesn't necessarily work. And they don't have a whole lot of outfielders right now, Like Austin Hayes has a mutual option. I'm not sure how that one's going to go because the season has been sort of up and down for Austin Hey. There's a lot of injuries, some production, but none of it's super consistent, and I don't think that the Reds are going to pick up the mutual side of that option. Then you have Miguel Andrewharr who came over here from the A's and he's played the outfield a lot in his career. It's just he had a leg injury that was limiting him to DH only and so is he going to get healthy in this offseason? Do you commit to him playing in the outfield for a little bit, maybe give him a one year proven deal or something like that. There's a lot of interesting options that they currently have in the house. But I also would really and the goal for me for Nick Crawl because there is you mentioned this early on when we started talking like how much pressure shifts to the front office. This has to be the most pressure packed off season for Nick Crawl because they just showed that they could do this with the roster that they got, but they don't have enough to go much further than where they got, and they've got to get some help. I think that the first thing he's got to look at is somebody who can be an anchor for this lineup. There was nobody in this lineup at any point this season that was a consistent like when we need a hit, he's going to give it to us, and when we need an RBI, he's going to give it to us. They've got to go find that guy, whether he's an outfielder or a d H or whatever he might be, or whether his name rhymes with Blorber. I think that that was a Borber, But you know, whether that is the option or not, he's got to figure that out because there's definitely some boopen needs that he has, and you could argue that there's definitely some needs there on the bench as well. What is Will Benson to this team?
Speaker 2: Is scie?
Speaker 4: Are we going to run it back with Santiagos?
Speaker 1: Now?
Speaker 4: Please don't? I really don't want that to be the answer is yes. But there's so many different answers that Nick Call needs to give. But the first one is who's anchoring this lineup next year?
Speaker 2: It's a good question. We'll pick it up again. In just a few months. Jeff Carr always enjoyed our chats on Monday, kind of recap in the weekend, look at a week aheads, and hopefully we'll both be around in a few months to be able to do that, Jeff Carr Lockdown ORIDGS only Daily Reads podcast, are gonna have a lot to talk about in the next four or five months, for sure, before things start ramping up out a goodyear and then the twenty twenty sixth version of this team comes to fruition, and I think we have reason to be optimistic and excited. Provide to the front office, get some critical pieces in there. Jeff, have a great offseason, all the best. I've been appreciating you all these.
Speaker 4: Months, Bunby, appreciate you.
Speaker 2: Go right, all right, let's get a time out in Sloaney back on seven hundred. The Reds are dead, but I'm alive, apparently barely. Some healthish look get into that coming up too, and how about some news first though, I'm seven hundred.
Speaker 6: W jeez, the Princess of property, the Queen of closings.
Speaker 2: But touch us some deals.
Speaker 1: It's realistic.
Speaker 6: What's Michelle Sloan all hal the bestest Remax time agent I've ever met on seven hundred wl W.
Speaker 2: All right back after an extended hiatus. Here my nurse and wife, Michelle Sloan try to show this morning back into the regular groove. Here we go. What's going on? Maybe I don't know.
Speaker 7: We've just spent the last three weeks together. I have nothing more.
Speaker 2: Two weeks in two three days. I don't know, but so yeah, hey, you know what, it'll be your turn at some point. Of course, of course, then I got to cart your ass around.
Speaker 7: Yeah, well we have it is. We have another three weeks of non weight bearing.
Speaker 2: So anyway, long story short, and it's good to be back. I said's great to be out of the house as someone that used to sitting around as long as I've been sitting around. Went in for some ankle surgery. Had a bone that was rubbing on a tendon in my right foot, and it turned out that I've been walking around all summer on a severed tendon. And that was the first news the surgeon told me when I got out. She said, yeah, you severed your tendon completely. Oh okay, so.
Speaker 7: It was a lot worse thanur.
Speaker 2: So, yeah, she's in her while sew and everything back together and sewing it to another tendon and stuff.
Speaker 7: So anyway, yeah, I was sitting in the waiting room. It was supposed to be an hour surgery. After ninety minutes, here we go. I'm like, okay, there's it wasn't really worried, No, I mean it was worse.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, I mean, as I said, you don't people like, oh my god, it must be terrible. Look, there's people with far worse stuff in the world, and I've seen it firsthand, family friends, close friends that and God bless you if you're going through that now. So what I had can be fixed. There's a lot of people who don't have a remedy for that. So more prayers to you than to me. So and when the doctor, I'm lucky, I can get this fixed.
Speaker 7: She just she when I met with the doctor before you were out of anesthesia and everything, she just she just put her head down and shook her head with her hand on her head, going, oh my gosh. It was a mess when I got in there.
Speaker 2: Mess.
Speaker 7: It was an absolute mess. Two inches of the tender.
Speaker 2: She said, you didn't do feel any pain? What's like, I mean, hurt a little bit. She goes well with a rete, it should have been a lot more painful than.
Speaker 7: Yeah, and your bone spur was three centimeters. I was looking on my hand trying to figure out what three centimeters looks like.
Speaker 2: I don't roll into the doctor until it's fallen off at this point.
Speaker 4: What you are?
Speaker 7: Yeah, exactly right?
Speaker 2: All right? So yeah, my wife Michelle's driving me around, which is so because she likes to sleep in until the ungodly hour like seven am. I know, and I'm in much older than that, so God bless you. She's going to be driving a.
Speaker 7: Knee scooter.
Speaker 2: Scooter's all good, so he's pretty fast on that. Doctor Samantha Baker at christ she's great. Yeah, I it was awesome. What's going on in the world of real estate? Although I suppose we should talk more healthcare related stuff at this point. I know the government should down. Is that affecting things at all?
Speaker 7: It is? Yeah, absolutely, it's going to slow things down, and depending on how long the government shut down lasts, the impact on real estate could certainly take a while. It's going to delay some transactions, so if you're planning to close in the next two weeks, it may be delayed. So we're going to have to have a lot of patients. If you're a buyer, if you're a seller, if you have plans to move, if you have movers scheduled, it may be completely out of your hands. If you're waiting on some federal funding. That would be your government backed loans. Federal Housing Administration, the FAHA loans, the VA loans, USDA loans are all vulnerable for being slowed down during this process.
Speaker 2: Not stop, but slowed, just.
Speaker 7: Slowed because they're taking about half of the employees and they're furloughing them, got it, so the other half will be doing double duty. And so eventually, eventually it will close, the paperwork will go through. But yeah, it's it's going to take a minute. And I think that everybody's just got to be aware.
Speaker 2: It's just enough to make it so inconvenient. It upsets you about the government showdown for the now. If you're going through it, it's you know, life and death, because if you think about when we just bought a house, right, okay, so you have to sell your house to buy the new house, and then that person's buying a house, and if one person in that chain has an FHA or VA long or something like that, then that could come everything up and screw things up just enough to slow it down to a point where you're losing a lot of sleep over it, which is exactly what they wanted. I was pointing out the first half of the show. But you know, the war of the government shutdown and who's really the blame here, And the fact of the matter is it's politics, right, So roughly you think it's a lot more. But for total federal spending, only eight percent of the government to shut down and what they call non essential role, so ninety two percent of the government according to Democrats and Republicans who are empower may I point out think that ninety two percent of governments essential what gets shut down museums, national parks, the FHA, loans get slowed down, all that stuff. To make you squeeze. You know, it's still going on though, But the Army, the Navy Air Force game on Saturday, just.
Speaker 1: To show you, like, well, you know what we want people to be, we don't want to be. You want to get people upset, start cutting the Medicare and Social Security payments. But they will do it because this is politics, it's not reality.
Speaker 7: There are a lot of employees who have to there. Essential employees have to report to work, but they're not going to be getting a paycheck until all this is over. Now they will get back paid. Don't get the back pay.
Speaker 2: I'm going to go that long. It never does. But how many longest one we had was twenty eight days or something, and that's when people started to feel the pain. You get paid every two weeks, and that's what happens. So you really wanted to knock the stuff off. You know what you do is you just wouldn't pay these bums in Congress, the executive branch, the judiciary, and the legislative branch is simply cut their benefits off and see how they like.
Speaker 4: It.
Speaker 2: Wouldn't have any shutdowns.
Speaker 7: When we go back to the real estate issues, if you are a government employee and you're in the process of buying a home and you don't have any income coming in, there's a good chance that that loan can't close until your money is you know, until you get all of your money.
Speaker 4: Now.
Speaker 7: Of course, there are ways to get around it, because we know that eventually you'll get paid.
Speaker 2: Yeah, But and.
Speaker 7: Then the government employees are very concerned about being able to make their mortgage. And if you're in that vote and you don't know if you're going to be able to make your mortgage, if it does last for that long a thirty days or more, you may ask for an extension. I think most lenders are going to They're going to understand the situation, and as long as you've been doing a really good job of making your payments on time, you should be fine. But overall, it's it's gonna slow down. We don't need any more slow downs in the real estate industry right now. We just don't need it. Because interest rates have been so high, they're starting to come down. They're supposed to come down even further. Everybody there. It's interesting because I keep hearing this recurring buyers saying, I think the interest rates are going to come down to three.
Speaker 2: Persons, So people wait to go wait, come back.
Speaker 7: And you know, there's I absolutely believe that if you can afford to go ahead and buy, knowing all of this and having all of the information, go ahead and move forward if you can. And there are a lot of sellers out there right now who have been on the market for two, three, four, five weeks, and those sellers are starting to get a little nervous, a little bit antsy, they are more willing to negotiate. So now, as a buyer, there are opportunities that you have not had for years. For years, it's been a seller's market. Now the market is kind of it's moving in a direction that it's more of an even playing field, and buyers have opportunities. Buyers have opportunities. Now, I'm never going to tell a buyer to go in and do that low ball thing go down like twenty thirty forty thousand dollars. You're only going to make the seller really mad, and you're not being realistic. Let's be realistic. I know everybody's looks for a deal, but I personally think that there are opportunities. There are always opportunities in any situation. You know, when the stock market goes one way or another, there's opportunities. Same thing with real estate. This shutdown of the government could provide some opportunities for some people. It can also provide a lot of.
Speaker 2: But it isn't a big problem.
Speaker 7: Still inventory though we have inventory, We do have some inventory.
Speaker 2: Last week you said we had no inventory. Now this week we got inventory.
Speaker 7: What do you mean we haven't talked about real estate for three weeks.
Speaker 2: Wait, wait, it's three weeks later. What happened? What kind of drugs are you giving me this recovery?
Speaker 5: You know?
Speaker 7: Yeah, drugs are good.
Speaker 2: Three weeks later? Yeah, the hell's going on? I haven't talked on this channel. Yeah, and now too. Yeah, and there's some more inventory. It's certainly not there where you need to be, but there is. So there are people waiting for more deals, is what you're Saying's like, I can get better if I sign, but you could always refinance later too, right of course, and the property you want.
Speaker 7: And right now, the interest rate is around six point three five when I looked yesterday. That's pretty good because we were around seven percent.
Speaker 2: How long it's good. People are waiting to get back down to the glory days of sub three percent. It's gonna be like ten years, isn't it.
Speaker 7: I don't think you'll ever see that again, because it really it's what they say, it really mess stuff. I mean, I don't know, I'll never say never.
Speaker 2: What did it mess up? You said it was gonna mess.
Speaker 7: Well, because there's so many people that are still sitting on the sidelines with a three percent mortgage saying I'm not giving that up.
Speaker 2: Oh yeah, yeah, you know so paid.
Speaker 7: Many people are staying in their home so much longer because they have that low mortgage rate. So that's how it messed up things. Is like everybody felt like they're in a standstill and you know you're never going to see those rates again. It was like we've talked about it. It's like free money, you know, three percent mortgage, are you kidding?
Speaker 2: I remembers locking into like two seven five or something ridiculous.
Speaker 7: And there are some people who they are milking every bit of that. You know, they're not paying it off because they're like.
Speaker 2: Well, at some point, you know, you either move because of a job or because you've got to move, or you you know, you wind up dying yourself at that point. But that's a long time though. That's that's glacial in terms of what you guys do. Also when the mortgage mortgage broking business.
Speaker 7: Absolutely, so we're definitely going to see some volatility. I would say, you know, just everybody has to be patient. I have had to be really patient over the last now. But and I know that everybody has missed you, So I don't think that's true. No, I know, I've heard lots of people who have missed.
Speaker 2: Somebody gave me this morning, somebody somebody I work with it. How's your week? Are are you? How you were you in bed?
Speaker 7: They didn't even notice.
Speaker 2: You right, see you all the time. Thanks for the flowers. My wife Michelle Sloan Sloan Selles Holmes dot com open house show that's on YouTube and of course via the iHeartRadio app where the podcasts are to talk real estate every Thursday morning. I was going to come back on Monday, but she said, damn it, I've missed my segment twice now and I gotta you gotta get back. Come back on Thursday so I can. Well it worked out because you know, and you're picking me up and stuff like that.
Speaker 7: Yes, for the next three weeks, I get to be the chauffeur to the Star.
Speaker 2: There's a chance maybe though that it's sooner rather than later. There's a chance I could maybe start driving again.
Speaker 7: You can't pick up your scooter.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I gotta have littlecoore. I got a little ne scooter I roll around with with a basket on it full so if you see me, you get a shot.
Speaker 7: He does have a basket like Dorothy. It's so funny his knee scooter. And he's pretty fast.
Speaker 2: Now, yeah, the most stable thing you could. I could roll that pretty easy. I gotta be careful, I know.
Speaker 7: Yeah that's all.
Speaker 2: But i'll tell you what. It beats crutches, that's for damn sure.
Speaker 7: Yeah you're pretty I can.
Speaker 2: I got crutches too, but.
Speaker 7: I can outrun you on the finding is.
Speaker 2: The crutches were from my daughter at acl surgery when she was a teenager. From sports and uh, somehow, I don't know, I got those a little short for me, so i'd wrapped howels like, why did I just get a new pair of crutches but I got old school crutches. It's fine, it's fine, it's fine, but manly that nee scooter. I tell you, if you had leg knee surgery, that's the way to go.
Speaker 1: Man.
Speaker 2: It's pretty good.
Speaker 7: Yeah, it's it does seem a bit wobbly though it is, but yeah, you the hard part for you now, our.
Speaker 2: Dog is not a fan of that. He sees that thing and he hides because he's afraidest title is going to get run over or something with that. Other than that, it's pretty good. So yeah, all right, well love me, thanks again, and I've got to get going here because Willie is on the way in a few minutes here in the Big One seven hundred WLW. Of course, the big story today written and we'll get into this. I think maybe with the Reds round up the cowb I'm not quite sure. But of course, the Reds losing last night in LA kind of root in a sense, thinking, oh, this is a foregone conclusion because the other teams all took them to game four or game threes rather, and the Reds got swept out in Los Angeles last night. We had a chance early on, They're up to nothing, looks it was gonna hold for a while, and then LA does what they do with that big fat payroll of theirs and just steamrolled the Cincinnati Reds last night. So the Reds have been eliminated and you can't kill them while they got killed in two games just like that. So we got lots to talk about that. Of course, the big story today, And if you're waking up this morning, you're a little hungover from watching the Reds and they had answer certainly basis loaded situations, couldn't get the guys around, and they lose in Los Angeles, eliminated from playoffs for twenty twenty five. Now, the good news is, and I think the honest is on ownership here in the Castellini family, what moves you make in the offseason to get yourself to the point where you can advance in the postseason. Really, I mean, we talked about it all year long, how close they really were, felt like a five hundred team all season. They hovered around that. But what puts them over the top gonna be some bats, although we've seen that before. You get bats in Cincinnati and Great American Small Park, and for some reason, batters come here and they still can't hit. So I don't know if there's a curse, if we have to have some sort of exorcism at Great American Ballpark, I'm not quite sure. But as bad as it is to get licked and whooped in Los Angeles against the team that quite honestly came off a World Series championship and just said they're payroll absolutely loaded, so I know it's going to be a good twenty twenty six for sure. I know, I know. And we've got a long, long cold winter the way the Bengals are playing anyway, that and more coming up with Jeff Brownley the Cowboy. We'll get to news, and then Cunningham takes over twelve oh six. I'll see it back here to Martin. Nine oh six, got thrown back finally on the Home of the Red seven hundred WWD Cincinnati,