Speaker 1: The quest for the three peat has begun.
Speaker 2: Only four teams in Major League Baseball history have won three consecutive titles. The Dodgers are the favorites to become the fifth fifth.
Speaker 1: This is World Champion Dodger Talk.
Speaker 2: Here we go again. We're geta running back.
Speaker 1: To get him on the show called eight six six, not eighty seven, two five seventy, And be sure to follow Dodger Talk wherever you catch your podcasts. Here's your host, David Vase, Last.
Speaker 2: Day, Welcome the Dodger Talk David Vase live at Uniclo Field at Dodgers Stadium until eleven thirty tonight. That's right, eleven thirty tonight. Eight sixty six nine eight seven two five seventy is the phone number all those happy fans leaving the stadium fifty thousand plus getting a Maxmuncy babblehead and also being treated to Maxmunsey coming up with one of the biggest hits of the night, the first big hit of the night that bases loaded double clearing the bases with two outs. And we all know the Dodger offense has not been doing so great lately, so that was so big for that dugout and for Muncie who's been struggling as well. Just big on so many different levels. And I will say this, the Dodgers won tonight six to five, but even if they didn't win, it felt like the Dodgers played with the urgency that they need to play with. And the tone was set by Miguel Rojas and Dave Roberts. Dave Roberts has been saying this since some Saturday, that it's go time. And how about Miguel Rojas sending a text to the team that he shared with us. I'll let you hear what he had to say. I'll let you hear what Dave Roberts had to say after the game as well. But Rojas basically texts the team, Hey, it's time to go. It's time for the sprint attitude. Now the season's almost over with. We only got forty games to go. And if I felt like the Dodgers came through with that type of focus and urgency tonight. We did not see the same base running mistakes that we've been seeing since the All Star break. We saw better at bats tonight, show Hal Tani smartly stealing second base to get into scoring position for Freddie Freeman's go ahead RBI single in the seventh inning. And for Max Munsey, I know we focus on Mookie Beds and Kyle Tucker, but the reality is Max Munsey has been in a really bad slump here in the last couple of weeks. He's been striking at an almost a fifty percent rate, only walking about ten percent. And for him to come up being down one two and being able to deliver that base hit down the right field line to score all three runs was huge. Kyle Tucker coming off the bench pinch hitting for te Oscar Hernandez against the righty John Schreiber. That was a great at bat by Kyle Tucker to work a walk and not try to do too much to set up what Munths he did. And I give Dave Roberts a lot of credit. I mean, I know it's August, but the urgency that Dave Roberts managed with tonight really shows and sets the tone for the rest of the team. Taking Taoscar Hernandez out in the sixth inning, to have Tucker, who did not start tonight, come off the bench was the right move. I don't know if Kyle Tucker is going to strike out on three pitches, but the way Tucker's been going the last ten games, whether or not he gets a walk, whether or not he gets a hit, whether or not he strikes out, it was the one hundred percent right move. If you've been watching Dodger games, you've been seeing really poor at bats by taoscar Hernandez, and tonight was no different. And look, I'm still a big believer in taoscar Hernandez. I believe he's still going to be a big part of the rest of the season and into October because he's done it and the Dodgers have won back to back championships in large part because of his contributions. But right now he's not swinging the bat well, he's not giving you good at back quality. So that was the right move, and Kyle Tucker rewarded Dave Roberts for the right move. And like I said on Petrosen Money Show today, I said it on the pregame show yesterday. I talked to Edwin Diz yesterday morning, and I had no doubts after talking to him that that ninth inning Saturday night changed his season because once Corby and Carroll got to third base, he just basically said, you know what to hell with everything, I'm competing and I'm not going to lose this game tonight. And he was able with nobody out to Strand Carroll at third base and to me talking to him. On top of what I saw on Saturday night, I was convinced his season has changed because all of a sudden, now, whatever was in the back of his mind, whether or not he thought if he went a little bit too much with ripping it, gripping and ripping it, whether or not he threw his slider max S effort that he was going to reinjure his arm. That's out the window now, and that's that's the compete mode that we saw on Saturday night to allow the Dodgers to get to the tenth inning. And you saw tonight tonight was the best slider Edwin Diaz has thrown in a long time. And I am convinced Edwin Diaz's season changed on Saturday night. Eight sixty six nine eight seven two five seventy is the phone number. All right. I want to share with you what Miguel Rojas shared with us after the Dodgers lost their seventh in a row. Because you may not win five or six or seven or ten in a row. But it certainly sets the tone for the rest of the season.
Speaker 3: I challenge the guys I send in a little quick message on the group last night to start our sprint right now. You know why not to start when it's forty four games left, so we prepare for what is coming. And I feel like if we put the little intensity on every pitch and forget about the past and forget about what's the future is gonna look like. I think we're gonna be on the moment more and we're gonna give everything that we have in that moment. So I think it's important to remember those little things when you go in the middle of the summer and you know, like you're approaching the end of the season and you kind of wanted to get over there with so you.
Speaker 2: Can go to October.
Speaker 3: But I mean, no one's gonna give you anything for free, so we're gonna have to earn it, and this is our time to kind of start our spring. I believe we can do it. I know we've been playing a lot of games the last two years and this year, but if we have an opportunity to do something really special, So if we have it in our hands. Let's do it. You know, we're in it to win it. We're not in it just to say, oh, no, we won the last two. We okay, not winning this one, or let's see what happened. No, we're in it to win this one. And now that we have the opportunity that all we have to play is fifty some more games in this year, it's a good time for us to kind of like do the spring and finish the season.
Speaker 2: All right. Miguel Rojas. He said that after the Dodgers lost their seventh in a row, he shot off a text to the players the teammates group texts that they have, and certainly that's just a reminder to everybody. On top of I would love to know what was said on the plane right back, because it's a player's only plane. People think about the traditional sense of oh, let's have a meeting in the clubhouse. Let's have a formal players only meeting in the clubhouse everybody out. The Dodgers don't have to do that. They can have their players only meeting in an informal way on their players only plane. So I would imagine that would lend itself to these guys talking about the urgency they need to play with and everything that Miguel Rojas included in his text. So that's the good part of that. Now fast forward to tonight, Dave Roberts echoed those sentiments, and the way he's going to manage is similar to the way Rojas wants the rest of the team to play.
Speaker 4: I think that we're past letting him play out of it. I think that you know, we're in a we're in a playoff race, you know, trying to win the division number one, number two, you know, capture one of the first two playoff spots, and you know this is this is go time, and so you know, I'm going to manage according like I said. And we've seen enough of a sample of guys and what they've done this year, and so you know, everyone understands it's about winning. So it's not about feelings. And I love and like everybody, but we've got to do it's best for the Dodgers for twenty twenty six.
Speaker 2: If you listen to what Miguel Rojas had to say, and you listen to what Dave Roberts said tonight, how could you not be fired up if you're a Dodger fan, these guys do care. And you know what else, I'm kind of tired of everybody's saying this team is old. Nobody was saying that in May and June. All of a sudden, because they're in a losing streak or they're not catching up to fastballs, this team is old. Bury them now, they got nothing left. I refuse to believe that. I may be too close to the situation, but I refuse to believe that these guys all of a sudden cannot hit fastballs. And I know now the numbers show that they're not hitting off speed pitches. You know what that says to me? That reflects a poor plan by the players themselves. And that's part of the reason why you're seeing so many double plays. That's the reason why you're seeing so many poor at bats coming into tonight. Have a plan, have a better plan, compete in the batter's box. That's what the best always said. So I refuse to believe these guys are too old to try to run this to a three peat. I refuse to believe, all of a sudden, these guys can't hit fastballs. I'm sorry, I refuse to believe that eight six, six, nine, seven two five seventy is the phone number. The Dodgers beat the Royals tonight six to five, A big win for the Dodgers. They may not say it, but I will. This was a big win for the Dodgers. And after Dryer gave up the game tying home run after Monthsey electrified this crowd. It was huge for Otani and Freeman, the two guys that have carried this offense all year long, to do what they did to win the game for them in the seventh inning. Let's go out to Braxton, who is at the game tonight. Hi, Braxton, you're on Dodger Talk.
Speaker 5: Hey, David. Always get to call you.
Speaker 6: Tonight.
Speaker 5: I love calling you when we have these games that the atmosphere or is just at electric. That's that's when I call you. It seems like every time tonight I sat beside a seventy year old lady and she was she was on the same page with me. I mean, she knows everything about the Dodgers and what you just said right before you took my call about tonight was a must win game. We had to win this game. That's what we were saying going through this slump and not just a slump, but an ugly slump. It's been ugly, and tonight felt like coming home was we all. I think the whole fan base felt like it was a playoff atmosphere walking into the game, and then you reflected it, I mean the whole game. I mean you just heard the fans more alive than than normal, above average, right, and then you get to that when Edmund made that play down in the game, I turned around and looked at my wife and said, plays like that, the game is, the game's over. We're gonna win this game now, and then you have the monthly moment and then it takes off. You're right, David, Tonight was special tonight with a must win, and I think it was. It was a beautiful ending. It's perfect day, perfect day.
Speaker 2: We love la Hey. The Dodgers heard you, Braxton. You heard what Freddie Freeman said middle of the August, middle of August, and there's fifty thousand plus trying to will you to a win. That was special, and you guys played a part in all that. So I appreciate you guys.
Speaker 5: Yeah, well, we appreciate you. It's always good dog, David. I'll talk to you next time we have a great atmosphere.
Speaker 2: All right, Braxton, thanks for the phone call. Yeah, Tommy Edmund made an incredible catch in left field, maybe the best catch I have seen by any left fielder this season. I haven't seen every game of every left fielder, but of the games I've watched, that's the best catch I've ever seen from a guy that plays a lot of time on the infield. For him to make a catch like that to end the sixth inning momentum was on the Dodgers side. Let's go out to Hunter in the Big Apple listening on the iHeartRadio app. Hi Hunter, You're on Dodger Talk.
Speaker 7: Hey with that, David, And also congrats on the shout out on the broadcast from Oral.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I heard about that. How about that Oral herscheizer giving me a lot of love and Steven Nelson loving our schoolbel interview. How about this Hunter, I got to give orl some love since you brought that up. He's getting the star on the Hollywood Walk of Fame this Thursday. I know you're in New York, but fans in LA can be there. Get there at eleven thirty am. They're lining up on Hollywood in Highland and the ceremony, s quick at end said about twelve fifteen. But yeah, how about that my guy oral Herscheizer getting a star on the Walk of Fame this Thursday.
Speaker 7: Yeah, and yeah, orl if you're listening to the Night you're listening, Yeah, glad that I got to tee that up for you. But I get to get to the point that I wanted to say, is when David you emphasized it so well. Today was a huge, a huge win. I think it was the biggest win so far of the sea. And what kind of clicks for me with the win is Max Monthly It is a great alignment on his bobblehead night. He had the biggest hit of the night and therefore in the way like the biggest hit of the season. And what I've been saying for like the last few months is I want to start the conversation for Max Monsey potentially having his number retired. He has the most postseason home runs in Dodgers baseball. He's he's probably gonna pass Harrows in the most home runs as an LA Dodger. He has legendary home runs in the postseason. And also his story of coming to the Dodgers and first, the second, third.
Speaker 8: Et cetera.
Speaker 7: There's a lot more to say, but it's like this. This is what it looks like where a guy has like these accolades and has these moments.
Speaker 2: Okay, let me tell you this. The Dodgers have a franchise rule, if you will, that you have to be inducted into the Hall of Fame to have your number retired. The only two that do not have that distinction are transcendent Fernando Vvenezuela, who should be in the Hall of Fame for a number of different reasons, and Jim Gillion, who was Walter O'Malley's favorite player. He died during the nineteen seventy seventh season. That was an emotional reflection and honor to Jim gilliam. So those are the only two and that's part of the reason why the Dodgers and thanks to our guyln Rosen and Stan Casten for starting this the Legends of Dodger Baseball where it's a pseudo Hall of Fame that honors guys that are not getting to the Hall of Fame but had great Dodger careers. In fact, on Saturday, Reggie Smith is going to be honored with that Legends of Dodger Baseball, Oral Herscheiser, your guy, Hunter, He's in there too, So I love the Dodgers starting that for guys like Maximun Sye that are not want to make it to the Hall of Fame or have their number retired.
Speaker 7: So then it's well deserved. And then those of us that adventure and suffer through we know that he deserves it.
Speaker 2: All right, Hunter, thanks for the phone call, and I guess you're taking full credit for me reminding fans that they should show up and show out Thursday morning for the Hollywood Walk of Fame Oral getting his star.
Speaker 7: Yeah, so I'm glad I got to see that up.
Speaker 5: Thanks David.
Speaker 2: All right, Hunter, thank you for the phone call. Yeah, just a reminder. Oral Herscheiser is getting his star on the Hollywood Walk of Fame this Thursday. From what I understand, if you're planning to attend, and it should be fun, Oral always makes it fun. Joe Davis is speaking, Clayton Kershaw is going to be out there speaking line up on the corner of Hollywood and Highland this Thursday morning at eleven thirty. Let's go out to Scooter in LA. You're on Dodger Talk with David vasse Hi Scooter.
Speaker 9: Hey, what's going on, Dave?
Speaker 10: How you doing?
Speaker 2: I couldn't be better after a game like tonight. These guys are firing me up because they're not conceding anything. And I'm getting tired of hearing how old they are. They usually blame me for calling them old. Well, I'm defending the fact that these guys got a lot left in the tank.
Speaker 9: Yeah, yeah, I think so true. I just wanted to say that I called your your show about about about four weeks ago.
Speaker 10: And when they're like about fifteen games or something like that, and I said, I was, you know, I didn't really like when they go up big early, you know, in the middle of the season and win by a lot of games.
Speaker 9: Going into yep, by a lot of games going into September.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I remember. I think we all were a little.
Speaker 9: Bit of this, right, Yeah, you know, because you know what happened in twenty two twenty three, they won.
Speaker 7: Big and want to get knocked in the first round.
Speaker 9: The last couple of years they got pushed little by Padres and they went on to win the real series. So I was saying that, you know, you know, maybe I'm too big, But be trouble what you wish for, because since then, you know, you know what happened.
Speaker 11: The league got cut in half.
Speaker 9: But it's it's good right now. I mean some games I can live with that, you know, for the rest of the season.
Speaker 2: The biggest thing, Scooter is not Scooter, Scooter. The biggest thing is not the division. They're winning the division. The biggest thing is to get a buy and not be a wildcard team, not play in the first round, and not have to go on the road to start the NLDS. When you talk about age, you know, I'm not going to go that far. But there are older guys, thirty something guys, and having to travel cross country and not have home field advantage throughout the postseason like last year. That's hard to do. And I would love their chances a lot more if they were the one or two seed. So I think it's not about the division. It's about catching the Braves or the Brewers to have one of those first two round For having one of those first two seeds, don't get it twisted, that would be great.
Speaker 9: And as long as uh we got Yaminado and.
Speaker 2: We got Yamamoto, come on, Scooter.
Speaker 9: Yeah, Yamaodo, Yeah.
Speaker 2: Okay, just say Yama. How about this, Just say Yama.
Speaker 9: Okay, we got Yama, we got we got and we got Snell. And I don't know between now, you said it wrong against Scooter.
Speaker 2: Don't say Snell. Say snell Zilla and say it with some attitude.
Speaker 9: Okay, yeah, we got Snell. I hope he, you know, gets back in the form. And then that fourth pitcher, I don't know if it's gonna be Glasgow or Tani or Sasaki or whoever it is. I think we got a part of the best.
Speaker 2: It's not that's not the problem. The problem is not the pitching. They just need to get this offense going, and tonight was a good start. Hey, Scooter, love you, Yama snell Zilla all.
Speaker 9: Right, Yeah, thanks to day.
Speaker 2: See you all right, Scooter, thank you for the phone call. Eight six six nine eight. Hey, I've seen some local TV broadcasters not get easier names. Right, all right, he's just a he's a fan. He's calling in. Eight six six nine, eight seven two five seventy is the phone number. Dodgers beat the Royals tonight six to five. Jack Dryer the winning pitcher, Edwin Diaz with his first save since July twenty ninth, after you know, uneven appearances in the ninth inning. But like I mentioned earlier in the show, after what we saw on the ninth inning on Saturday night, him yes, blowing the save, but him not allowing the Diamondbacks to win that game with the speedy Corbyn Carrol at third base with nobody out. I mean, come on, if you want to look at these grafts on chances to win, that was off the charts. The Diamondbacks were going to win that game, and the Dodgers got an opportunity to win the game in the tenth because Edwin Diaz did not give in. And talking to him yesterday, I'm just telling you I can't use some of the competitive language that he was sharing with me about the way he's feeling now, the way he felt in that ninth inning after those back to back triples. But I had no doubt tonight. I had no doubt tonight he was going to shut the door in the ninth inning with authority. His season changed in the ninth inning that night in the desert. Let's go out to Jacksonville, Marty. You're on Dodger Talk. How you doing, Marty?
Speaker 12: How are you doing, Dave, Listen. I was telling Colin I was in a wreck today.
Speaker 5: No.
Speaker 12: Yeah, he destroyed my car. I got a concussion. I got neck injury, you know, all muscular, and.
Speaker 2: Here you are.
Speaker 12: Yeah. I wanted to tell you that they wanted to keep me in the hospital overnight or they said I could go home. I should get me out of here. I gotta see the game. I got home. I missed the first inning, but I watched the rest of the game and we won, and I'm thrilled. And now I know how bad it is when the catcher gets hitting the mass, you know, with a foul ball, because when those airbags go, it's like a weapon.
Speaker 2: Yeah it is. Hey, yeah, you know how those foul balls come off the mask. Hey, I'm glad you're okay, Marty, but take care of yourself. We want you around for the World Series this year, so be well out there. And by the way, Marty, if you need a new car, downy, Hyundai could ship you a new car all the way out there to Jacksonville. Okay, you let me know.
Speaker 12: What I want to tell you. I do need a new car. My call was totaled, and they I have gap insurance so I get a new car for whatever it's currently work.
Speaker 2: Downy Hundai dot Com. That's where you need to go. Okay, you'll get a new car and hopefully that neck feels better. All right, you gotta get some physical therapy. Dodger Baseball and an Ionic nine or an Ionic five from downy Hunday.
Speaker 12: You got it, I'll look it up.
Speaker 2: Okay, Marty, take care. I'm glad you're okay. Eight six six nine eight seven two five seventy is the phone number. What he needed a new car. I'm trying to help him out. Eight six six nine eight seven two five seventy is the phone number. We're gonna take a time out here on Dodger Talk. When we come back, more of your phone calls. Plus you'll hear from Trek Skoubole, who made his first start as a Dodger here at Dodgers Stadium. I bet you didn't realize that he has pitched here before with the Tigers, but tonight was his real Dodger Stadium home debut. As he is able to make two starts already, he'll make another one Sunday, I'm sure against the Brewers. Tonight five innings, three earned runs, and we'll get to him when we come back. And also Jose Moto will join us at eleven fifteen after the Dodgers hold on and come from behind to beat the Royals six to five on a five seventy LA Sports.
Speaker 8: Dodger fans, this is Max Munsey.
Speaker 13: You're listening to the home of the backs back world champion Los Angeles Dodgers on AM five seventy LA Sports.
Speaker 2: And that three quarter function is not easy to track. Here's the one too line.
Speaker 1: Drive face head into the right field torner in the score is Everton.
Speaker 2: Here comes row Hot and here comes Tucker a Facer's clearing ten sheds double from Max Mudsi Charlie Steinerer on the call tonight in the sixth inning as the Dodgers got a big hit from Max Mounsey on his Bobblehead Night in front of fifty thousand plus at Uniclo Field at Dodgers Stadium, fifty one thousand, seven hundred and ninety nine cheering on the Dodgers, willing them to a win tonight six to five over the Royals on Max Monsey Bobblehead Night, Daniel's Juelers Presents Home Run Forecast. You know what it's about. You get a chance to win a fifty dollars Daniels Jeweler's gift card. All you have to do is go to AM five seventy LA sports dot com, use the keyword home run and to your name you could win Daniel's Jewelers own the Dream. Can't say enough about the pinch hit plate appearance by Kyle Tucker, who drew a walk ahead of Monseie against John Schreiber and then Monsey was able to do the rest with two strikes and two outs. A struggling Monsey delivered for the hometown fans on his bobblehead nights. So that was great. Great to see his kids out there before the game. His wife, Kelly my favorite Monsie by the way, she's she's not as you know what, not as no, I'm just you know what. Munsey's a great guy. It's a love hate relationship. But Kelly Munsey definitely a friend of Vassay, no doubt, no doubt. Anyway. The Dodgers beat the Royals tonight six to five Freddie Freeman after Jack Dryer gave up a game tying home run to the number nine hitter. Tonight, Kyle Isbel came up with a big hit following Otani stealing second base in the bottom of the seventh inning to give the Dodgers a six to five lead. Tanner Scott to care the eighth Edwin Diaz took care of the ninth inning. Here was Freddy after the game with us.
Speaker 13: Yeah, that was an incredible atmosphere on you know, Monday night in August, the packed house month with the big, big hit that we needed. I was just a good game, going back and forth, countering when they were scoring runs.
Speaker 8: We came back, so that was a good win.
Speaker 2: How big was it for Monsey to deliver in that situation for you guys, it's huge. We needed that hit.
Speaker 13: You know, we've been we've been grinding at the play for about ten days needing that big hit and months got it going and we were to scored a couple one more run after that and our both been shut it down.
Speaker 2: I know you have a great appreciation for what happens before. How big was it for Otawni to get a again on for you? And how big was it for Tucker to draw that walk ahead a month.
Speaker 13: Seat That's huge. There's are the little things I help win games. Also show he's still in the base here on steel base we have probably don't score run there.
Speaker 8: So it's the little things.
Speaker 13: Ninety feet in this game are huge and show hey, getting that still in base, it's huge And obviously Tyle Kyle kinchinchitting is one of the hardest things to do in this game and put out in the great bat.
Speaker 2: I'll leave you with this, Tony Gwinn smiling from heaven your second head six hole. Nobody was there. Tony Gwynn is smiling down Yep.
Speaker 13: They left a hole open for me and I try to get it and I was lible a good one.
Speaker 2: Thanks a lot for stopping Freddy. I love the big smile. I tell you, David, I appreciate it. Have a good one. Always good. When we catch up with happy Freddie Freeman. Three hits tonight. He drove in to go ahead run in the seventh inning and the Dodgers beat the Royals tonight six to five. Great to hear him recognize the fans fifty one thousand plus willing the Dodgers to a win tonight. Let's go out to Dane who is at the ballpark one of those fifty one thousand plus. How you do, Dane, You're on Dodger Talk.
Speaker 1: Hey, how's it going.
Speaker 14: I say, yeah, man, super exciting game, super stoked. First time able to get through to you guys here on the radio. I just listening to you on the drive home. Right now, you're saying that pitching's not the problem. I'd have to disagree. I definitely think that pitching has been one.
Speaker 8: Of the problems.
Speaker 14: I don't know if it's because Will Smith is not behind the dish and I don't know who's calling pitches, but we definitely need to step it up. Like Starter's bullpen, Vessia looked. I mean, I'm Vessie is one of my guys, but he definitely velocity was down. Not sure what's going on there. And then even Schooble like the home run to CAGLIONI like, you know, two strikes and then you know, just serves it up. So, I mean, longtime Dodger fan, love the show, just I think the pitching does need to pick it up a little bit. Hopefully, when Will Smith gets back and we run in the playoffs, it's going to be a different story.
Speaker 2: That's fair, Dane. Will Smith is a calming presence and has a lot more experien rats with these guys than Hunter Fiducia does and Ben Rourfitt does. But I was just thinking big picture wise going into the postseason, the Dodgers thirteen best pitchers, I would take them against anybody else's thirteen best pitchers.
Speaker 14: Of course, of course, of course, and I definitely think, you know, the three headed monster and probably a fourth going into any series, we have the advantage, but we definitely need to get the ship right it. In regards to the bullpen, I mean, I would say Henriquez has probably been the most consistent throughout the season, but definitely looking forward to getting Will Smith back, getting these guys more consistency going.
Speaker 5: In the into the playoff run.
Speaker 14: So but love everything you do, man, and thank you for the time.
Speaker 8: I appreciate it.
Speaker 2: I say, all right, Dan, thanks for listening. Yeah, you know, obviously the bullpen it hasn't been lights out over the course of the last month. But keep this in mind as well. They're working Evan Phillips back in, They're working Edwin Dies back back in, so that sometimes distorts the numbers, and the bullpen of any team is always the most volatile part of the staff. So I'm not that concerned about the bullpen. I know there's been some miss missteps, but with Edwin Diaz being Edwin Diaz again now and Tanner Scott having a really good year and Evan Phillips starting to shake that rust off, I like where the Dodger bullpen is at. And like I said in October, when it's the thirteen best pitchers, we're going to see, you know, Roki Sasaki go out to the bullpen. You're gonna see a guy like that, or Robleski go out to the bullpen, and that's gonna change things. But like Dave Roberts said, it's go time right now. They want to get one of those top two seeds to be able to secure a buye from that wildcard round and not have to play on the road in the first round as well. So all of that matters, and they're trying to catch the Braves and Brewers. The Brewers coming in for a big series beginning on Thursday, a four game series against the team with the best record in the Milwaukee Brewers. And right now the Dodgers and Braves have the exact same record seventy one and forty eight. The Dodgers and two road trips from now Head to Atlanta, so that's also going to be a pivotal series to decide seeding as well. Our guy Dane talked about Trek Scubale. He made his first start at Dodgers Stadium wearing the blue. It was somewhat of anti climactic start. He went five innings. He competed. That's one thing you can't say about Schooble. He'll compete, but only for the fourth time in what sixteen starts this year. He didn't get into the sixth inning. He's human. You have to imagine that he was trying to do maybe more or than he should have. He had his wife, his kids here. We saw him go down the left field line on the way to the bullpen greet them. You don't usually see that from a starting pitcher. But he's a little bit more relaxed than other starters on start day. But you have to imagine maybe he was trying to impress a little bit too much and it worked against him, especially early in the game. Going back to what oral Herscheizer said on their broadcast, in the fifth inning, when he needed a strikeout, a Jack Kgialleione who got him for a two run home run. In the previous at bat, Herscheizer said on sports net LA, you need to get a slider here, not your best one, but a slider, a competitive slider here, And that's exactly what Schoolboll threw to strike out Kagalione. And that was the biggest at bat of that fifth inning. Let's head downstairs to the Dodgers clubhouse to hear from tonight's starter, Trek Skoubel on sports net LA.
Speaker 15: Yeah, I mean I just I kind of sprayed the ball a little bit. That's kind of unusual for me, especially, you know, with fastball command and stuff like that. But you know, I thought I competed well and gave our team a chance to win. And you know, our offense picked me up big time, defense picked me up a big time then, and the bullpen was outstanding tonight. So you know, all in all, a good a good team win, you know, especially when I don't feel like I performed up to my standard.
Speaker 7: Would you feel like there was something in specific that was just missing when it came to that command, the fastball command of the field for you today, Yeah, I think it.
Speaker 8: Was just fastball command. I was just spraying them up a little bit too much.
Speaker 15: You know, I got to get back to competing in the strike zone, you know, and that's when I'm at my best, you know, consistently getting one and o two. But you know, we won, so it's you know, I'd gladly take that in a win, you know, any day of the week.
Speaker 8: But you know, I'll be better going forward.
Speaker 9: How do you how did you feel pitching here for the first time as a fan favorite sport?
Speaker 8: Yeah, no, great environment.
Speaker 15: I mean, the fans are they were great. You know, it felt like I don't know how many of the stadium holds, but it felt like there was forty fifty thousand, forty minutes before the game in their seats, and you know when I walked out there, it was that stuff special, you know, and you appreciate it, you know, the fan support, and it's a is it Monday, Yeah, Monday night, you know, so you know I appreciate that for sure.
Speaker 4: How do you feel about the Dodgers offense?
Speaker 8: Offense? Yeah, yeah, it was great.
Speaker 15: You know, score more runs another team, you know, that's the name of the game. And you know that that base clearing triple had ended up being a was was huge. You know, obviously in the moment and gave us a good, you know, a good, good lead in this game. But you know, winds are winds are tough to come by in this league, and and it's a it's good to get one in the first game of a series.
Speaker 2: What if these last nine or however many days it's been felt like for you, I think you were here for a few hours and you went on a road with them, and then you come back, you make your deput're here, like, what is this all felt like?
Speaker 7: So far?
Speaker 15: It's been great. It's been great. You know, the organization is first class. This clubhouse is is is a very tight knit group. And then and they've had my back through everything and and then and if I can feel it, you know, I felt it like two days into this thing in Chicago, and it's I think that's special, you know, a very welcoming group here.
Speaker 8: And then obviously the staff and.
Speaker 15: Support staff all that stuff, they've been They've been great to me and and in my family, you know, getting everything settled and as seamless as things can go, and kind of when your life gets a little chaotic, you know, they've they've done a great job at calming all that stuff down and helping us out and helping this transition go really smoothly. So I really appreciate that, and you know, I don't I don't expect any different, you know, from what I've heard about the Dodgers from the outside, and it's been a ton of fun to be a part of.
Speaker 2: All Right, there's Trek school Bull after tonight's first start wearing a Dodger uniform in this ballpark, and he went five innings tonight, three earned runs, And really that was the confusing part of tonight's game, and he explained it that he wasn't using his force seamer as much as you would expect that four seam fastball. He was able to strike out Bobby Wood Junior with it when he needed it in the third inning for the second out, but it just didn't seem like he felt comfortable changing eye level from his sinker to his four seam fastball. That's a fastball that kind of goes up in the strike zone, while his two seam fastball, the sinker, if you will, ninety six plus down at the bottom of the strike zone. It just didn't seem like he had a great confidence or feel for those two pitches coming off each other. Tonight's game brought to you by Modello Modello, The Mark of a Fighter.
Speaker 1: It's time to go around the horn with Hose Mota.
Speaker 2: All right, Jose Mota. We've been talking about how big of a game this was, how big of a hit it was for Max Munsey and this offense in the sixth inning. How big do you believe this game was for the Dodgers.
Speaker 16: This could be a turnaround. It should be a turnaround because there's a lot of things lining up in the way they acted, in the way that things were said by Dave Roberts, by the players themselves, the word urgency being used a lot. You know, the phrase it's time now, you know, let's get going. It's important Dave, and you know it happens against royals, and don't downplay that because these are the teams that you gotta go out there and beat. The Dodgers have done a very good job taking care of teams they're.
Speaker 2: Supposed to beat.
Speaker 16: You're going to go through some struggles, but in a game like today, with those so much on the line, Scooble a little amped up. We know he was out of whack. That's that doesn't matter. I love his words about the team one, which really is what you want to hear from anybody. But I there's an attitude from Dave Roberts on to you know, guys, understanding that things could change from here on because you're now playing for something else. And the clear thing that managers don't like to talk about Dave Roberts talking about he said before the game and you were there right now, we are a wildcard team. Do you think this team wants to hear that, this city won't hear that. No, And I think that's a little wake of for everybody who are involved to go out there.
Speaker 2: And do better without a doubt. Jose, when you put it in those terms and you say we're a wildcard team, that's a wake up call for everybody. Because it is August, there are only forty games to go. And I'm a big believer that the urgency has to start with the manager and the game planning before the game and the way they manage in the game. And Dave has certainly showed that urgency the last couple of games.
Speaker 16: And we have seen this happen in the last two seasons, especially starting in September. Win de says, Okay, this is my lineup. This who I'm going to play. In fact, I'm going to play a little bit differently because if you go back to, you know, things that migol' rojal was talking about even last September about what they needed to do is to go out them, celebrate the little things, and get the guy aboard, win innings, win thirds of games. All those things add up for you to think, well, we're doing something right, and at the very end, the other team is just waiting for you to explode and do something. Here's something else I'm going to clarify here to Dave, which is important that you know. You've been hearing about it. I've been hearing about it today. Average age of roster all this team in the big leagues. Chicago Cubs, okay, thirty one years, fifty eight days, Letter Braves number two thirty years, two seventy one, Dodgers number three yet thirty years, two forty nine, Phillies Rangers. So where are these teams that they're all involved in something right now? So let's not talk about age or guys getting tired. That has nothing to do with it. It's just who you are, who you believe you are the talent that you have and knowing that from here on it is they spring. You got to go out and take care of business. So age has nothing to do with this.
Speaker 2: We always talk about the guy that gets the hit, and Munsey was slumping. Obviously that was a big hit for him. But how about Kyle Tucker coming off the bench and giving Dave Roberts the at bat that he wanted to set up the big hit for Muncie.
Speaker 16: And the attitude that Dave Roberts wanted. I mean, coming out of the box the other day in Arizona, it was a different Kyle Tucker. When he hit the ball down that line. It's like sprinting out of the box, you know, not cruising into first base, second base, and see what happens. Same thing happened today to Oskart. I think for him it's a message. Now, two consecutive games where they pinch it for you because you're not getting to your pitches, you're not fighting through at bats, you're not competing with at bats.
Speaker 3: He should get better.
Speaker 16: They need him to be better. They need to be hitting a little bit higher. But he has to go earn that and you know, feeling the side, that urgency and that message of here's who we are. Let's identify who we are and implement some plays. I mean Shohio Tani alertness. I mean Tommy, I haven't playing defense. Remember this team, there's not win a role series last year without defense. And every single series they played, starting against the risk, they made it out standing place. They made the routine plays and they were aware to play good fundamental baseball team at bats and start from there. Before you know it, there starts lugging. You know, score opens up a little bit more. But make sure you take care of those teams are gunning for you, because you know the roles will have to come here and say, hey, we kept going against the Dodgers and we found something about ourselves. On the positive side, you're the Dodgers. Identify with that. Don't be cocky, don't be over confident, but know who you are and go out there and making it every single time out.
Speaker 2: Jose Mota is joining us after the Dodgers come from behind twice to beat the six to five tonight at Dodger Stadium. Jose, you mentioned Tommy Edmund. I know we watched the Dodgers. Obviously we don't get to see every single other game, but that was, maybe, considering a guy that plays second base the majority of the time, the best catch I've seen from a left fielder this season.
Speaker 16: There's no doubt about that one where he was playing at where he had to come from a member. As a left fielder playing and going towards that line, it's not glove sid you gotta go across your border to make that play. Tommy didn't glide into that play. He went to a spot where you think the ball is going to go into sprint there. Dan, He's got a kind of start a step a little bit just to make sure he's not going full bore into that wall. But he did a very good job tracking in the baseball and understanding that any play like that Dave as a left fielder is going to have a little slide on it. You got to make sure it's the lies. You also do the same thing with your body adjusting. So this guy is a guy that Tommy playing finally unhealthy ankles. He's been a very good on the defensive side. Even when he was limited, he was very good. But before he came from the Cardinals, it was like, you know, you put him in center field. He's the best in our fielder, second base, short's up, just gets the job done. Tommy Edmands just a good all round ballplayer who can inspire other guys to do the same thing by just playing your game.
Speaker 2: All right, Jose, I'm gonna leave you with this tonight. But you thought schoolball was the main event. The main events Tomorrow night, the real shows, tomorrow night seven. Yeah, that's right, snell Zilla, You're gonna see him dominate tomorrow night.
Speaker 16: I love to see that. I love to see him, you know, come here and stay and go out there and do what he did in October. We know who he is. Yeah, he's got a couple of youngs, but I think Dave overall in the regular season, Dodgers fans have not seen when you and I have witnessed this guy on the opposing team. Remember I saw with Tampa Bay and he was absolutely dominated as a young player. Dodger fans have not seen the very best in the regular season yet from this guy, and he could be very special.
Speaker 2: And for the first time as a Dodger, he's healthy. So that's a scary thing for the rest of the league. You're gonna see it tomorrow, bump day with snell Zilla. Jose, we'll talk about it tomorrow night.
Speaker 16: Get some runs to work with, that's the one thing. Get him some runs to work with, that would be the most important thing.
Speaker 2: Yeah, no doubt. Early runs always helps the starting pitcher. Yes, sir, all right, we'll talk to you tomorrow.
Speaker 16: Okay, they'll be there, he goes.
Speaker 2: Jose Morte part of the Dodgers Spanish radio broadcast with Luis Cochito Cruz. That's right, snell Zilla day tomorrow, second start of the season. And I'm just exuding the same type of confidence that Snell's been exuding to me over the course of the last two weeks. And the one thing that you know, he's he's been talking about is the range of motion that he has. And for the first time in a long time, he said he doesn't have numbness in his fingers. After undergoing that two hour nanoscope procedure by doctor Elatrosh he said as soon as he woke up, he couldn't believe that he actually had feelings at the tip of his fingers. Is pitching fingers. He pitched last October, the way he dominated in the first three rounds without feelings in his fingers and that's something that now he has, and now he has range of motion. And he said he hasn't felt this healthy in three years. So you know, he could say all he wants. He's got to prove it on the mound because I don't care about what he did in Tampa Bay or San Diego. I know you don't care what he did in Tampa Bay or San Diego. And he's very aware of that. Eight six six nine eight seven two five seventy is the phone number. Let's go out to Steve in North Hollywood. You're on Dodger Talk. Thanks for being patient, Steve.
Speaker 8: Hey, Dave, what are you doing tonight?
Speaker 2: Doing great?
Speaker 17: So I called you probably March April sometime around there, and I'm like, hey, they should have pitched Otani, we should bring him in August. And he said I was crazy. But I I'm just wondering what you think about that.
Speaker 2: Now.
Speaker 17: If he would have maybe rested Otania and he brought me in August, or if you had just kept everything the same.
Speaker 2: I would have pitched him, because here he is. He hasn't gone on the IL and he's having a great year. He has twenty six home runs, he's hitting almost three hundred and look, Steve, I'm not against him trying to pitch, but the Dodgers are going to be extremely careful and have been with him because they don't want him to irritate that left knee where it comes at a cost of him being sidelined for an extended period of time because they need him more as their leadoff hitter than they need him as a pitcher. But how about this scenario, Steve, what if I told you Otani could take down at least nine outs, nine to twelve outs in a playoff game, would you take that?
Speaker 11: Yeah?
Speaker 7: Any day?
Speaker 17: Sure?
Speaker 2: Yeah, I don't think there's anything in danger of him, you know, coming back and pitching, you know, and taking down six to nine outs and combine him with a Robleski or a glass Now or a Rokie in a playoff game. To me, that sounds like a pretty good idea.
Speaker 14: I think in.
Speaker 17: October day, Will Roberts will get the field for il a roster and everything will work itself out, and you know, moreover that kind of you.
Speaker 2: Know what the advantage of that too is, Steve? You know what the advantage of all that is too? You don't have to leave another pitcher off just in case O Tawny can pitch. He's in his own category. He doesn't count against your thirteen pitchers on your postseason roster. So maybe at the beginning of the playoffs the knees not working or you don't want to use him in the first round, but then maybe in the second round. And even if in the middle of a round he can pitch, he doesn't take away from somebody else. So there's really no drawback for seeing how this goes and being extra careful with it, which the Dodgers have been.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 17: Well, I mean again, Roberts will he'll figure it out. And again I kind of like this little losing the street kind of gets through the target off their back and.
Speaker 2: Really allows them to the target's still on their back. Target is still very much on their back. They're not the underdogs. Yeah, thanks Steve. Eight sixty six nine seven two five seventy is the phone number. Look, I think he was missing the point right there. The beauty of Otani and the way the rules are set up because he's so unique, is that even now in the regular season on a twenty six man roster, he's not counted as a pitcher because he's a two way player. It's its own category. That's the way it would go in the postseason as well. So let's say the Dodgers, you know, want to give that left knee a little extra time, or Otani wants to try to refine them mechanics a little bit more. You can have Otani even in the middle of an NLCS Best a seven series, if it's being extended and you feel like you need a guy to take down the first nine outs of a game, he could be that guy for you and it doesn't take another picture off the roster. So that's the beauty of all that. And that's the reason why guys like Great Council are so upset these days because Otani's on a playoff team. Now, let's go out to Pallas Verdi's Eddie walk Us off on Dodger Talk tonight. How are you doing, Eddie?
Speaker 11: I'm doing good. Dave, how about you?
Speaker 2: I'm doing great? And the show strong Eddie.
Speaker 11: Oh okay, I want to say to everybody, all the Dodger fans and even some of the post game stuff that's going on with with Hernandez ti Oscar, I think you know he got pretty good at a hitting today, hitting the ball, and uh, he.
Speaker 2: Had a better game today. I'm with you, Eddie, he had a better game.
Speaker 11: Today, Bobby, Bobby what Junior made two great plays?
Speaker 2: Yeah, but he hit it on the ground. That he hit it on the ground, Well, don't hit it on the ground. You're te Oscar Hernandez.
Speaker 11: Right, right, right. But I think he's all in with just not trying to hit a home run and just to hit the balls.
Speaker 2: Like I disagree with you. I think he's trying to get twenty home runs in one swing, Eddie. That's what I've seen. Thanks for the phone call. Let's take one more Lewis in the Bay Area. It's late night, Lewis, people have insomnia, So I'm going to get you on the show tonight.
Speaker 6: You're a goot, You're a good person. I'm looking forward to seeing seeing you Saturday night when I'm coming down for Reggie Smith, one of my all time.
Speaker 2: Love it. I think miss Rowski is going to be pitching for the Brewers on Saturday. Actually, who's for the Dodger? That would be I had that at my fingertips here. So what else do you want to know Lewis? Besides the pitching matchup. Well, for the game you're coming to, it's going to be Robleski versus Misowski the way it's lined up right now.
Speaker 6: Okay, Well, that's wonderful. I'm really looking forward to it. I think what everybody has said about Diaz that's probably the most significant thing. And I'm hoping that Tucker is finally coming out. It seems that the Advats are a little bit better, and I really like Sidusha. I have to say that it's a tough one without Will Smith there, but the ingredients and Rojas is why you shared. Tonight was great. I'm really looking forward to it. I haven't been in the stadium since Fernando was honored in twenty three. Did I try and hunt you down?
Speaker 2: Uh, I'll have some coffee with me. I'll be ready, Yes, hunt me down.
Speaker 6: Okay, that's great.
Speaker 2: Will I will know. Yeah, I'd love to meet you, Lewis. You're a loyal Dodger fan and we appreciate you listening and calling in. And it'll be a special night. And Reggie Smith certainly deserves his due because he was one of the greatest players of his generation, and some may say deserves a spot in Cooperstown as well. He's actually being inducted into the Negro League Hall of Fame this year as well, So he deserves all the love he gets and I'm looking forward to celebrating him too. Gotta run, Lewis, We'll see you Saturday night. Get that head start now tomorrow, Gotta get my sleep. It's bump day. Blake Snell on the Mount tomorrow night, making his second start of the year. This one he believes there is no looking back, going up against Michael Waka, who's five and eight with an era at three forty four. Our coverage begins at six o'clock tomorrow, with first pitch at seven to ten. Thanks to Dwayne McDonald staying up late tonight, thanks to Colin ye back at our Burbank Studios, and thanks to you for listening. In case you missed any of the show, you know where to find it. The iHeart Radio app. Have actually shown some of the Japanese media how to download the iHeartRadio app and make Dodger Talk a preset. Their lives have been changed ever since I showed them that. I got to show Eric Lauer because he said all he thinks I do is talk into a microphone. Nobody knows what I do around here. Dodger Talk every night after a game. AM five seventy LA Sports, the iHeartRadio app Our pregame guest today was Ben rourtfit then he biceps. Download that one too. You'll find out when he got his World Series ring. How about that, Dwayne, Download it on the way home to IRV on your cushy Irvine estate over there once again. The final score tonight the Dodgers beat the Royals six to five. We'll talk to you tomorrow night after a snail Villa Day seal.
Speaker 16: Un Standing, Let's stands