Speaker 1: All right, here we go with drama in the National Basketball Association. Free mafia families have ties to some figures NBA players. You've got Chauncey Billups a coach, you got players. It's incredible. It's like Tony Soprano, James Gandalfini has come back to life with Polly Walnuts and and the rest of the crew from the Sopranos, and like Jersey is representing today in the National Basketball Association. That's a huge developing store. We're gonna have more in that coming up on the show on seven hundred w W. Because I got feeling I could be wrong about this, but somebody's gonna get whacked. Somebody is gonna get whacked. And when whackings breakout, we break in here on seven hundred ww Sloany and this morning. And this effects all of us too. By the way, I just tell you a story about social media and how they fed all the clickbait and all this nonsense you read on social media into AI chatbots, and it actually made aichat ai dummer and more angry, which is it's measurable. That's computer imaginement's doing us. And of all the things that keep you awakened. That may be one thing. Some sixty to seventy million Americans have chronic sleep deprivation, Twenty two of us have sleep apnea. Twenty two million people have sleep apnea Insomnia effects. About a third of the population and third of adults in four and ten say they often feel or fall asleep at work. And if you're a truck driver, that's really concerning. Some jobs you probably can get away with. There are times where I've admittedly fall asleep during the show and no one noticed. But truck drivers that is bad. You're flying an airplane bad. You're probably in somebody's heart doing surgery. Bad. Talk show, not so much. Sonjay Shaiva Crimani's on the show This Morning's in the Air Physician at Doctor Sonjay Sincy with a y or. He intersects the worlds of food and health and fitness and jumps in the show This Morning in studio this morning. How are you a coach? How you doing doing well? Thanks for having I'm doing good, Thanks for coming in this morning. Okay, so you're an your air physician in Cincinnati, but you're also you're in the fitness realm as well. You hear the story and you probably see it a lot of sleep apnea presents, and we know that you can get some very serious illness. You can die from sleep apna. How much how many undiagnosed the twenty two million, how many of those do you think are undiagnosed? Like the bulk of them.
Speaker 2: I think it's probably the bulk. So I mean, to have the diagnosis, you kind of have to see a doctor, have the studies done right. Right. And some people, you know, are just getting slapped in the middle of the night by their partner in bed, being like you're snoring, when it's actually it's something more serious than that, specifically sleep APNA.
Speaker 1: Or you just go into another bedroom of the couch exactly, you can't stand it.
Speaker 2: That's a new thing. It's sleep divorce. Yeah, you've heard of this thing. Yeah, yeah, that's a big deal. Yeah, so people are starting to do that. But it's not like divorcing because of sleep. It's just sleeping in separate areas. But that might actually be your clue that maybe there's something else going on other than you just can't sleep well without the person or you can't stand your partner like it could be something worse.
Speaker 1: Well, let's get how much how much of these sleep problems that we have in America and affects most all of us. I mean, they say get between eight you know, eight hours of sleep? Is that an actual goal? Is that a hard fast number? Is it different for different people? So it's a pretty solid number. So seven to eight hours is what we're shooting for. Something less than seven does start adding up. In fact, your performance in general kind of decreases over time. So I actually went to this Ted talk several years ago and the guy said, you know, the first four hours of sleep is just to restore your body. That's all you're doing. You're repairing your body. But the next four hours is where your brain regenerates. So like all that emotional stuff that you need to face your day, you need to face the struggles of your day, the challenges, like, that's what you get in the next four hours, and you need those next four hours, all of it to be your best in those emotional situations. So yeah, we can survive, but we are not the best versions of ourselves while we're just surviving. If we're getting four to six hours of sleep, it's ours seven and eight where we really get like the maximum benefit can you make that up in the weekend when some people go working really hard. And then I mean, you know you're an eer doc, so you were crazy. Do you sleep for like twelve hours? Is that? Can you?
Speaker 2: That would be a healthy right, excuse the pun, if you can do that like a college. So the whole idea of like banking sleep and getting it, there's there's a little bit of benefit there, but it's not as much as we think. It's the it's the daily kind of thing we need to get and this is one of those Yeah, you just nailed it. Like as an er doc, my my schedule is crazy. It's days, it's nights, it's weekends, it's all over the place. And so that's why I hold sleep such in such importance in my life because it's it's not good, but it is literally the foundation of my well being and everything else. It is the number one thing. And you can ask my fiance. I'm almost obsessive about my sleep, right, But I need to be because it's thrown off so often that I have to do whatever I can to maximize it so I can be my best in every realm in my life.
Speaker 1: And it's more like a shift work because you're you know you're not. Hey, I'm not nine to five, yer, Doc. No, it's where they need you in different times and for twelve hours at a time, right, or maybe longer in some cases. But that's true for a lot of people who work second third shift. They wrote a cops do that, right.
Speaker 2: Yeah, And and it affects you over time. A lot of people love working nights for for good reason. It's usual a cooler vibe, right, But turning around or sleeping during the day, it's just not what our bodies were built to do. And overtime that wears on us. I mean, there's studies out there that you know, if you're if you're a night shift worker, you literally die earlier than people who were dacious, right. And I've known this my entire career, and I'm just like, oh, I just accept it, and now I'm doing what i can to like die a little later, I guess.
Speaker 1: But it's yeah, well you know what I mean. Look, we're going at a time a year now, son, Jay, where you don't see the sun, and if you work thirds like I did that for a while, you literally you don't see the sun at all. Ever. Yeah, and we know that has a big, big effect on the sleep cycles ir Katie rhythms exactly, so like when when you wake up. So the whole thing is people oftentimes say watch your blue light at night before you go to bed, and that's a that's a whole thing, or being exposed to light in the last couple hours before you go to bed, but they're actually finding also the morning time daylight is really important, so like within an hour, getting ten to fifteen minutes of light exposure in that hour. But if it's dark outside, if you got one of the Cincinnati winters, you're not going to see the sun necessary if you're sleeping all day. And so it does affect the night shift workers over time. And it initially you may not feel it or if you're young, but as we get older, it really starts adding up. What about one of those happy lights. I've got one of those, and I don't know. In the winter, sometimes I'll plug it in at my desk or whatever and it throws out simulates the sun. Does that work? Does that do anything?
Speaker 2: It's something, It does a little something. It's not as great as being out in nature, being exposed to the to the elements, but at the same time you'd be exposing yourself to the elements, and so it's like fifteen degrees outside.
Speaker 1: Hell, yeah, go go hit the light. Why do we do this? I mean you just hit on two things. You want that sunlight, that natural sunlight early in the morning. Why not make an alarm clock that has a light hooked up to it and it gradually comes on and lights up the room? What about that?
Speaker 2: It's got your billion dollar idea has already been invented over and over again.
Speaker 1: But but I had something again, But no, it exists.
Speaker 2: I forget the brand names for it, but they definitely exist, and they slowly come on and slowly wake you up. I'll tell you, the smallest shred of light will have me up and eyes open. So like, it's not great for me, but it works for some people.
Speaker 1: Say Shave of Carimani's on the show. He's our physician at doctor Sonjay Sincy and an expert in fitness and food and health and fil We're talking about sleep this morning, which is a big deal. Most of us don't get the necessary seven to eight hours if you're getting sad. I'm like a seven guy myself, so I think I'm okay, but I know it's too the older you get, you wake up in the middle of the night and you're up for like two or three hour feels like you're up for hours, right, Yeah, what is that? Why has that happened?
Speaker 2: So the brain starts getting I mean, you're just getting old, Sloan, that's what it is. So your your brain starts.
Speaker 1: Telling me about it because I'm limping around the studio just getting off crutches. Yeah, no, kidd and thanks. You and me both are broken ankles. Job, Migel. It's fine.
Speaker 2: But overtime, so when we're young, our brain knows what to do, and over time our brain kind of forgets what to do and how to sync with the cycle of life. That's what that's what the current thought is. So as we get older, our brain's like, oh, it's the middle of the night, maybe I'm supposed to be awake right now, as opposed to our younger brain that is smarter. So yeah, we're just getting dark.
Speaker 1: It's dumb, and here we are thought it was something to it, like I'm so efficient at sleep, I only need four or five hours and I wake up and I awake for two or three But I remember seeing something son Jay years ago, a fascinating story about the history of sleep in how screwed up we got when electricity came on and you know, candle light things like, because it used to be hey, you and some goes down the fire, go to bed at five o'clock and then get up in the But people would sleep for four hours, get up, they'd make babies, they get the stuff ready to eat the next day, get some firewood going, and then they go to bed. They'd be up for a few hours and then go to bed for So because human history is a relatively small sliver of our existence, so modern history we're talking about here, we're like genetically wire to wake up in the middle of night some to some degree somewhat.
Speaker 2: I mean, we don't have a lot of evidence of all that stuff, but i'll tell you that. Like, what we've also found is different cultures need different amount of sleep. So like we say we need seven eight hours as humans, but it's actually kind of an American state. I don't know what other countries there are, but some countries actually require less sleep and you're okay, you're actually thriving at sex. So it's kind of weird. So maybe that was a different culture back then. Too, where you needed less sleep or needed to sleep in the middle of the day. But you know, like European culture with the siesta and everything, that that also works for them, and so it depends. But the kind of cumulative amount you need is seven or eight in today's world for the most part. Now that we're all becoming semi one culture because we're all plugged into the same.
Speaker 1: Stuff, right right, Okay, now that makes a lot of sense. So we're also told, hey, you know you need a ten thousand dollars mattress that cools and heats you unless you up and down all that stuff to get the best nice sleep in your life. Is that just marketings are some truth in that.
Speaker 2: There's definitely truth to it. I think you know, you got mattresses, you got supplements, you got all the other things out there. Mattress is important. I mean I definitely invested in a good mattress and a good pillow. But there's there's other things you can do, and specifically, you know, temperature of your room, which will a lot of people don't key in on. It's the light that we just talked about. And then it's consistency of sleep schedule, which coming from me, I, I mean do as I say, not as I do on that one, because I literally can't. But the the mattress quality is important. I mean, if you're if you're sleeping on a bed of rocks and that's something new to you, it's not gonna it's not gonna turn out well.
Speaker 1: If you toss and turn son Jay, is that indicating indicating you a bad night's sleep or is it just your a toster return Because I'm a tous turn So.
Speaker 2: Are you a tosser and turner all night or is it a tosser and turner intermittently?
Speaker 1: I have no idea. I'm sleeping. Yeah, hell what I know you're the doctor. Tell me. I asked a really good questions. Yeah, you definitely your flipping all over the place.
Speaker 2: So, so you know, our body goes through the cycles of sleep, and you know, we're light sleep, then we're deep sleep, and then there's the REM cycle where our brain goes a little wild. That's when our dreams happen. And as we go on further in the night, typically if we're if we're healthy, we'll have more and more REM cycles as the night goes on. And so it's not aotypical for you to be tossing and turning, especially like between if you're sleeping from eleven to seven, from three to seven, you're probably gonna be tossing more because you might toss more with your dreams because your brain's a little restless and doing all the rem things that it needs to do and having all the dreams.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it seems I wake up, it'll be like a solid four hours and you wake up and then you go to the bathroom or whatever. And that's the other thing too, is you get older, you tend to go to the bathroom more.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it's it's all you know, you and I, I mean for the whole my part where we're definitely the four hour wake up guys now and it doesn't matter what I do. And now are their ankle bros. You know, with those injuries. I have a little more swelling in my ankle now than I used to. And so that just that's what goes in the middle of the night.
Speaker 1: Wake up and go Should you just get up If it's like, Okay, I'm wide awake, I feel good. Should I just go up and do something and then come back to bed later. So it's a great point. You makes a long.
Speaker 2: So a lot of people are like, Oh, I'm just gonna stay in bed, I'm gonna I'm gonna sleep, I'm gonna sleep, I'm gonna sleep. I'm gonna get back to sleep. But one of the best things you can do sometimes is get up and move around and change your environment just for a little bit and come back to bed. You don't want to necessarily like play video game or look at a screen or maybe even even look at an e eater. You just kind of want to move your environment a little bit. Don't eat, don't drink anything, but just move a little bit, come back to bed and try again, as opposed to just willing it to be just lying in bed, because when we force something like that, it just never turns out good.
Speaker 1: Yeah, Sanja Shava Karani is on his e our physician, and we're talking about health and fitness and well and sleep. It is a big thing. Especially we're going to have the time change here in a little bit. That always screws people up. Yep, you know, our gain, our lost whatever. But at the end of the day, your body still has to adjust to these whole things, and you may be getting up in the middle of night and you're tossing and turning. What does that mean to I need a better matress? Is the room comfortable? These things? And I'll come full circle on this because we were talking about how social media pollutes the brain, and they tested with AI in it. It's making AI dummer. If they feeded a steady dyet a clickbait, what does that say about me and you? I think that's the other thing is do most people who is you know, we talked about sleep apnean, We've talked about other reasons why people don't get a good night's sleep, But how much of this is by you know, just life baggage? You know, we're consuming news or online and reading all this stuff, and then you wake up and you start thinking about it, and then you have this fear and you start getting this cycle, this mental cycle, and now all of a sudden, that's where the I would say, you know, nighttime, that's when the demons come out in your head when it's quiet, and you start thinking fatalist things and horrible things. And how do you break that cycle? And how much does that contribute to what we're talking about?
Speaker 2: It is a great question because the two things that we're keying in on here is one the use of the phone in general. So you have blue light, you know, shooting into your eyeballs and it's waking up your brain while you're using it, and so we really want to turn that off literally at least one hour before bed with any like any device, tablets, phones, et cetera, to allow our brains to rest a little bit. And then you have the issue of well, the content of that and what it's doing to you and adding to your stress and anxiety, especially taking in world events, et cetera, but maybe even your own personal stuff. Right, your brain's just going and it is hard to calm down. And a lot of people say, you know, I got to read before I go to bed, or I got to get my news in before I go to bed, and it's actually working for me. You've probably conditioned your brain, like watching TV before bed, which a lot of people do. My best friend falls asleep watching TV every night. You probably condition your brain to say, oh, that's the TV. I'm going to go to sleep now, Okay, right, but you're not going to get good sleep, so your brain's going to be kind of still going with all of that stuff, still processing it. And then you know, you'll have one of those middle of the.
Speaker 1: Night wake ups.
Speaker 2: Like you're talking about, everything's quiet, and that's the time when your brain shows up and has a party. And so it's really hard to fall asleep when there's stuff, you know, when you're taking in stuff right before you go to bed.
Speaker 1: You should tell my wife this because she'll sit there and scroll TikTok for like an hour, yeah, and then go put it down, and she's sleeping in thirty seconds and sleeps with straight eight hours.
Speaker 2: I mean, there's superhumans among us. They're superhumans out there, and I am definitely not one of them.
Speaker 1: I can't, I can't. I get my iPad. But I'm reading a book, yeah, you know, and something that's like history, or I'm reading a book about George Remis from Cincinnati here of all things. And yeah, it takes you know, for me, I like a half a chapter and fall asleep. So I try to find boring topics and things like that and not to get all worked up and just you know, fall.
Speaker 2: There's two ways as far as content goes. So my fiance was reading this boring book and literally she read two lines every night and she out and it was you know, it was this like really scientific book, and she.
Speaker 1: Works.
Speaker 2: But I prefer actually reading fiction on a on like a Kindle e reader, so you get a little less blue light coming out, but there's still some lights are out. And I read fiction because it just sends me into like fantasy worlds.
Speaker 1: Ok, and I'm in a dream zone. Now.
Speaker 2: Some people will say that you readers do admit, well, they do. They emit some light, so you're kind of affecting yourself a little bit. So, but you know what's the other way you're going to do it is have a light above your head right, and that's hitting them book and now it's hitting your eyebo.
Speaker 1: Like the dark background with the light white light right is exactly like that. That mode or whatever.
Speaker 2: You definitely want nightmode if you're using like one of those fancy tablets e readers as opposed to like the Kindle.
Speaker 1: You know, where are you on melatonin? I So I think we're using too much melotone? Right?
Speaker 2: So the effective dose is like zero point three to zero point five literally, and people are dropping like twenty milligrams a night, and you know it's okay. There you get to a plateau point where it's just not as effective. So what melatonin does for us is it says it's nighttime, and that's all it does. It doesn't say I'm going to keep you asleep or anything like that. It just sets your clock and says it's nighttime. Great for like if you've been working nights or if your sleep's been off a little bit, just to use sparingly every now and then. Now I use melotone in kind of a combination with a couple other things a couple of times, maybe one or two times a week, but it's usually when I'm flipping or I haven't had a good sleep and my body's just thrown off for a.
Speaker 1: Wheit it's fine. I'm more frequent than that. I probably should back it up, but I but again, I've known, so I take like it's like a three milligram chewable that was too much for me? I would I like take a third of that? Yeah? And where'd you feel it was too much? What time of the day? I don't know, Like I didn't want to wake up, Like I don't feel rested, Like maybe it's too much of this stuff. Yeah.
Speaker 2: I so I have about a twelve hour period that I have to give myself where I'm going to be awake again. Yeah, because I'm going to be groggy as hell. If I take something even one and a half milligrams, I'm going to be groggy afterwards. So you kind of want to take it a little bit earlier. Now the packaging will say twenty to thirty minutes before you sleep. I give myself a little more time if I'm only going to be sleeping eight hours.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, now you really want to sleep? You know, some some NQ will four or five of those talamol pms and a half like a fifth of Jim Beeman. You're good. You sleep like not doctor for baby, like a baby. That's just all right, Doctor Sonjay, he's our physician health food fitness at doctor Sanjay Sincy with why two whys in there? And thanks for coming to this far. It's great to talk to you. I love the I love the intersection of medicine and health and just common sense kind of stuff there. Yeah. I appreciate the timesloan.
Speaker 2: It's just it is all one to me, and it all kind of feeds into each other back and forth. You know, having a better life while you're away equals make you sleep better.
Speaker 1: Question versus yeah, it all. It's all health to me, all right, goodness, So we'll do this's on the regular I think anyway, Doctor Sanjay, thanks again. We got to get to a news update. The NBA has apparently falling apart. We have the mobsters, my people, Laclos and Ostra, Tony Soprano, all those guys involved in the NBA. What details seconds away here seven hundred WWT, Cincinnati,