Speaker 1: With the inquirer. Your benefits plans are coming up here, people with Medicare and stuff, and I don't know what I should do about that because I'm sixty eight years old. You know what, Let's let's get our guests on this is cool to have. I can actually get a free consultant here. But what we're talking about here when you go in it is that time of year when you you know, have to go back in and do your insurance work. Insurance YEP, and medicare as a matter of fact, that we're talking about pretty healthy jump in price here to discuss daniel leboard lebroad from Healthcare Benefits. He's our healthcare benefits expert. And daniel what are we looking at here?
Speaker 2: You know, I think we're in for a shot this year. We were kind of in our industry were.
Speaker 3: Kind of warned about it earlier in the year that we're see big increases. But I'll tell you, you know, we position.
Speaker 2: Clients typically to say, hey, you're gonna have to look at an eight to ten percent each year. You kind of budget for that, and our goal is to always, you know, hopefully get that down further.
Speaker 3: I'll bringing an option that lower.
Speaker 2: That, but right now across the US, we're seeing I mean ten is on the low side. We're seeing twenty and thirty percent increases, which is unheard of.
Speaker 3: Wow.
Speaker 2: And the youse don't even have to do with, you know, any particular reason. It's just it's across the board, particularly the small employers, those with under fifty employees who are the hardest hit. They're gonna get destroyed this year. And that hurts employees as well because they got to pick up a portion or all of that increase as well.
Speaker 1: So, Daniel, let me ask, and I think everybody's asking the same question in their brain right now, is how come on both sides of the aisle. Every year, every politician, it seems like, running on we're going to get healthcare prices under control, We're going to lower them this, that and the other, and now stuff like this happens, and it looks like, as you just said, you're we're telling people to build in that cost for basically the rest of your life. Why can't this be controlled.
Speaker 2: The only it can be controlled? And that's the problem, The issue, the biggest issue we have right now is the system is controlled by really two parties. You're controlling it's controlled by the larger healthcare systems. You're you know, in Dallas we've got big Textans Health and Presbyterian and Baylor, Scott and White. Across the nation, you've got very large healthcare systems and they work. You know, their primary payer are the insurance companies. In my opinion, the two of them are in collusion. You know, they're they're battling and working on contracts to get paid by the insurance companies.
Speaker 3: Thescurance companies are trying to pay them. But overall the two of them are.
Speaker 2: All they worry about is profit, and they have to answer their boarder directors, and so there's a misaligned incentive when it comes to the employers and the and the public because we just want good healthcare and a reasonable rate. But they're trying to but they're having an answer. They're having answer shareholders, and they have to make profit. And you know, it just doesn't work. And that's why rates cup every year because they everyone has to give themselves a ten percent raise every year. They have to go to the board and say, hey, how do we make more money? Well, we got to raise rates, how do you that's it?
Speaker 3: You raise race.
Speaker 2: You have to do that, you have to pay providers. It's just this back and forth between the two of them. Meanwhile, we're sitting back here going we're footing the bill. So there are ways, there are ways, however, to stop that, and we're doing it at our company and a lot of broken around the country.
Speaker 3: But I'll let you kind of ask the next question. I'll get into that.
Speaker 4: Well, that was going to be my next question was how do you break up? How do you break up that party in exactly? How do you get more competition in there?
Speaker 2: And yeah, so it's not even competition. So it's comes down to contract. So the largest payer of healthcare in the United States and Medicare, they could everything is based off of them.
Speaker 3: So here's a good example and a way to understand.
Speaker 2: How healthcare works with the health insurance company, the health care, the health systems. If I get a h you said you're sixty eight, I think ed right, you know, on a day over forty, just so you know, So if you go and get a procedure done and Medicare pays that health system one thousand dollars for it, right, that's the basis of all of all negotiation of all contracts. Medicare is a basis. So Medicare pays that provider one thousand dollars. Done, the health system says, hey, signa, we're going to bill you six hundred percent Medicare. So they bill signa six thousand dollars for that procedure, right, six times. Now Sigma though says, hey, wait a minute, we have a contract with you. We're going to go ahead and we're going to We're gonna give you a fifty percent discount. What happens then it goes down to three thousand. That is still three hundred percent Medicare. We are paying three times what that true rate of the procedure is. And that's the problem with the system. The two of them are overpaying. We're overpaying for care that we shouldn't be We should be doing the same, and the public should be paying the same amount of Medicare, or what we call reference face pricing.
Speaker 3: We pay a little bit more.
Speaker 2: We say, okay, Medicare doesn't make it really profitable for healthcare systems. I mean there might be a couple of percentage points with a profit. We say, hey, we're going to pay your fair. Reason about let's call it one hundred and twenty five one hundred and fifty percent of medicare. The healthcare systems make money. We pay a lot less for the healthcare we're getting. And that's how you keep control. That's how you controlled the cost of health care by reducing the amount we're paying for claims.
Speaker 3: And in that case, everyone wins.
Speaker 2: The healthcare systems get paid, the employees get their health coverage, and our rates stay down.
Speaker 3: The only one not happy about it is the insurance company.
Speaker 1: Daniel Lebrod is our guest. He is the CEO of Ovation Health and Life Services. And so daniel who who needs to make this change? Can we as people? I mean, obviously we're the ones that are taking it up the you know, and what can we do about it? Politicians aren't doing anything about it? How can we change this?
Speaker 2: So we're changing this. What we say is and I have a mastermind group. We talk about this a lot. We're changing one employer at a time. In my opinion, honestly, it starts with the employers. The employers have to be fed up and they are getting set up because they can't afford it.
Speaker 3: They can't afford to offer benefits.
Speaker 2: The employers need to first of all, know there are options and ways to do things, and these are things. Number one, you need to go self funded, and we can do self funding down to the smallest employer of two people all the way up to thousand thousand. The biggest companies in the nation use self funding as a mechanism to control costs. You need to be working with a consultant or a broker that embraces level funded self funding, captives alternative funding situations. And some people think, well, that's new, I've never heard of it. Well, first of all, it's been around forever, and the ACA actually made it more viable to do it for smaller groups. But actually, now sixty four percent I believe the number is about sixty four percent of all US employers are doing some sort of self funding health plan. But that's still a lot of those are the big employers. But still everyone is starting to embrace that because of realizing it's the only way to make change.
Speaker 4: So my open enrollment's coming up in my company, whatever they offer me, that's that's what I got. Or is there a way to even is there an even little tricks of the trade to kind of, you know, nibble around and save yourself a few bucks.
Speaker 2: You know, if you're getting through your employer, it really has to go into the employees complaining to the employer, like, we can't afford this, we need we need to look at I heard about these alternative strategies which are becoming the mainstream now. So you just say, hey, why are we why are we fully insured? Why aren't we looking at these other things, these other options? Have you talked to our consultant ever broker about that. Unfortunately, the employees don't know what they don't know, and they're just taking what the employer gives them, and they don't have the power to make necessarily make that change. I know in Texas, if you're out in the you say, well, maybe I can go to the individual market under you know, healthcare dot gov and get a policy. Well, Texas, all that's available is HMO with and nobody likes it, you know, and so everyone is kind of stuck in. And even those rates are terrible for the most part, they're going up every year.
Speaker 3: It does start, in my.
Speaker 2: Opinion, it does start with the employer, but the employer is not going to be making changes until either it hurts their pocketbook or the employees complain enough that I just can't do this. I can't afford this, And so it is it's got to be there's got to be that pain to make that move.
Speaker 3: And I think this year is gonna be the year of pain.
Speaker 1: Daniel Lebron is our guest from Ovation Health and Life and Daniel talk about that as I As I said, I'm not on medicare yet, but definitely thinking about it. What should I get a consultant? Because I hear so many people say, hey, talk to consultant, They'll tell you what to do in the plans, blah blah blah. Where should I just go home with these government websites and look it over. What's the best option?
Speaker 2: So as you come about Medicare, Medicare is really confusing. We have we actually, you know, I have an in house specialists for that. We help people get a Medicare because it has so many options, you know, and you see people we have someone on our on our staff that turned sixty five last year.
Speaker 3: Or in March, and you know they helped with it.
Speaker 2: She's like, oh my god, I turned sixty four and a half. I started getting My mailbox is full of stuff on medicare, and I'm so confused, So I think you need There's a lot of options out. There's Medicare supplements, there's Medicare advantage plans. I personally like Medicare advantage plans.
Speaker 3: I think they're they.
Speaker 2: Give you the best coverage at the lowest cost. And basically your your Medicare is paying a health insurance company to pull you off of the Medicare books. Basically you get better coverage through a private through a private insurer, and it helps Medicare because now that the claims go to the insured, not to Medicare, which helps to help the Medicare system.
Speaker 3: Fine.
Speaker 2: Everything the financial decisions though, you have to look at it and say, what's the coverage of those, what's the cost going to be, and what is my best what's best for me financially, And that's everything.
Speaker 3: We have to be asked what HSA's earlier, and I'm like, I'm not a big fan.
Speaker 2: Of HSA's any longer, but they have their purpose for some people. You have to wait it out financially for yourself, your family and what is best for you. And that's where you definitely need whether it's a medicure consultant or your employee benefits consultant, at your at your employer.
Speaker 3: Somebody needs to be able to guide you.
Speaker 2: Along that pathway, and you should be getting that kind of service from your broker, consultant partner.
Speaker 4: Anyways, you know, it's says she said about the HSA. I just started doing one a couple of years ago, and I like it a lot. It's maybe it's just a mind thing where I'm like, Okay, there's a bill that comes in as my kid went to the doctor, and it's seventy five bucks. I'm like, okay, well I didn't I didn't budget for that this month. Well okay, no worries because I had enough in my HSA to cover it. And you know, so it obviously still comes out of your paycheck. But I don't know, I've kind of come to like that. Why don't Why aren't you a big fan?
Speaker 2: It's in very So let's go back to an HCA's came out originally, when they came out years ago, it was it was the whole idea was that there was a big cost difference between an HSA plan and say a copay plan, So.
Speaker 3: I could have my fifteen hundred dollars double copay plan.
Speaker 2: It's five hundred dollars and my HSA plan is three hundred dollars. Awesome, I say two hundred dollars a month, I put it in an HSA account. Now it's twenty four hundred dollars a year in that HSA account. I'm saving money and I still own the cash, and I only use it if I really need to. Makes total financial sense. I've had h ANDSA plans. The problem nowadays is the HSA premiums have caught up to the copay plans, and so now employers put that in and the employee says, well.
Speaker 3: I can't afford it. He said, I can't afford.
Speaker 2: A doctor business this month, I have nothing, And employees are not putting money into an HSA account any longer. And so what ends up happening is the employee says, well, basically, I have no coverage on my health plan, so I'm just not going.
Speaker 3: To go to the doctor.
Speaker 2: And they're so they're getting crappy your coverage for the same price you go. Now I have other other clients that say, hey, I don't use it. If I do, I can afford a doctor visit, and I want to use that agency to funnel, you know, eight thousand dollars a year for my family tax free. That's where we see most people doing it, is they're using it as a tax free you know, put money away tax free, and that makes financial sense.
Speaker 1: All right, Well, daniel Lebroad we could talk about this forever, and I'm sure we want to talk to you again.
Speaker 4: Good stuff.
Speaker 1: People want to find out more about what it is you do there at ovation Life. Where can they go?
Speaker 5: Uh?
Speaker 2: You dan Lebroad on LinkedIn great way to connect with me, and then you can go to ovationlife dot com and connect with us.
Speaker 3: There as well.
Speaker 1: Daniel thanks so much, man, Hey, thank you. Take care, take care. And uh, it's also confusing. That's the reason I brought it up because obviously all my friends are about my age and everybody's is always talked about medicare and trying to get on that, but even healthcare. I'm oh, I'm I've had a healthcare system, you know, a plan working at every job I've had, and every one of those things, I was like, uh, just do what I did last year. That's what I do a lot. I mean, frankly, you know what everybody does.
Speaker 4: Frankly, take right, Frankly, you take it for granted, Oh, absolutely, Like yeah, it's I mean, I'm saying we shouldn't should certainly I shouldn't.
Speaker 1: You know, the order are pretty important. It is yes. With that, we check in with traffic and weather. What is going on?
Speaker 6: Do you see Health Traffic Center Mammograms Save Lives called five one three five feet four pink. Schedule your annual mammogram with do you see Health Sexpert team five one three five eight four pink. Seventy five southbound Goldberths to Paddic a little heavy and southbound seventy five is songing through the work on Reggan Highway down to Norwood lad So planning a bit of a delay. Now went and wrote a Dutch comedy. We have police activity report a good idea if you can just avoid that area. Went to northbound approaching Dutch Colony as an accident and cruiser there also breakdown on seventy five northbound the on ramp from Donaldson as a breakdown on the entrance ramp and clean up is underway. We're seeing two seventy five northbound something between two seventy five and twelfth Street. It's about a five minute drive.
Speaker 3: Now.
Speaker 6: I'm Rick Shrimp Produced Radio seven hundred w DLW.
Speaker 1: The forecast from a seven hundred WLW weather center forward tonight partly cloudy and then clear towards morning. The low of thirty seven for tomorrow sunshine and the high of fifty seven. We're talking about a frost advisory for tomorrow night on end of Friday morning. We'll talk about that tomorrow, but right now it is fifty four degrees seven hundred.
Speaker 7: W l W.
Speaker 8: All right, mister Pennay, I'm going to show you some images, and you tell me what do you see?
Speaker 9: Looks like a butterfly listening to Scott's Loan show in this one, I see a rocket ship.
Speaker 10: A rocket ship, Yeah, up for the planet, Sloan, I see and just one that.
Speaker 9: Looks like a fish swimming in a mountain pond.
Speaker 8: Then be good.
Speaker 9: Yeah, but the fish is angry because he's not listening to Scott Sloan.
Speaker 11: Scott Sloan, please listen responsibly.
Speaker 12: Join me Scott Sloan tomorrow morning at nine o'clock on seven hundred WLW.
Speaker 8: My best, Ruster, Di's goussed some strong vacations.
Speaker 13: This report is sponsored by Backs the Tractor, Your Caboda Headquarters backslatractor dot com.
Speaker 14: Backs Attractor is Cincinnati's Cabota Headquarters Tractors.
Speaker 1: All right, back on the Eddiot Rocky Show, Rock out today, You'll be back tomorrow. Jason Williams from The Inquirer Cincinnati dot com with us So Jace. Every once in a while, I like to do my wife as solid.
Speaker 4: Just every once in a while. Should this should be an everyday thing?
Speaker 3: Right?
Speaker 1: No? Not really.
Speaker 4: The last good solid I did there, last good Solida dinner was my wife somewhere would be rolling her eyes if she weren't working.
Speaker 7: Listening people tell her, I trust me.
Speaker 1: The last good solid I did or was marrying her. And she knows that. She thanks me every day, but.
Speaker 7: I daily I have no idea how to respond stuff. I think a really good answer.
Speaker 4: I'm going to get, thank you for marrying me, Eddie. He just rolled over, thank you for marrying me every day.
Speaker 1: First words, let her tackle my belly like a puppy and uh yeah, anyways.
Speaker 7: Going to make your leg kind of come up in the air.
Speaker 1: Start.
Speaker 4: I know we're on radio, folks, but he just did the tickle motion with his hands there and.
Speaker 1: That was did the puppy Caick did the Puppy Kick. Anyways, besides all this foolishness, we you do have some stuff going on. And my lovely wife does do her for Big Brothers Big Sisters of Greater Cincinnati and and I'm so proud of what she does, and she does a great job. And you guys got some cool stuff going on.
Speaker 7: Well, yeah, thanks for let me talk about it, because there's a couple of things. In addition to we always need people to volunteer, So please consider becoming a mentor. There's kids out there. We have a couple hundred on the waiting list to think about. You know, you've got an hour every week or two and you can give it and a kid would really benefit. But in addition to meeting mentors, we always need funds to help support these matches. And so next Tuesday we have this. It's our seventh, i think our seventh annual Big Breakfast event. It's a three pavilion and we have some amazing panelists. Mike l Rossa from obviously l Rosa's being, Gregory from Montgomery and Dick Williams from Skyline are giving us their time and coming out to talk about the importance of mentoring in their personal and professional lives, and so we have almost a full house, but some individual tickets are still for sale if people want to kind of want to look us up and for some reason you can't make it.
Speaker 15: We have the Raffle of Raffles, which is food.
Speaker 7: From each of these places for a year. So there's one thousand dollars to Montgomery, and there's fifty two certificates for pizzas from Lorosa, there's from from Skyline. There's fifty two Coney's plus one hundred dollars plus because they're always so popular. A full set of those Bengals bottleheads that are out, so they've all been super generous. So we hope everybody can come, but if you can't come, you can still get involved. And then the Reds ended up donating this giant basket with donated bottleheads and signed items, and so there's all kinds of ways folks can get involved.
Speaker 1: I love this, I love this panel.
Speaker 4: These are three awesome guys, Stick Williams, Bean Gregory, Mike Lorosa, all guys with great.
Speaker 7: Home hometown heroes exactly exactly, and they're they're just they mean so much to the community, and you know, big Brothers Speak Sisters was founded here in Cincinnati in nineteen oh three, and so we thought, what better way to honor the whole agency than to bring in people who, you know, carry on a tradition of all the amazing things they do in the community today.
Speaker 4: Dean Gregory is an incredible storyteller. And I say that with the like that guy, I could sit and listen to his stories Burle Burle Love and I had him on our podcast The Quire a couple of years ago, and I'm like, just keep the tape rolling, because the stories that that guy tells are just it's incredible. Is he gonna Is he gonna have that opportunity or is there is this pretty okay?
Speaker 1: Nice? So it's only worth the events only like an hour and a half gong, is it?
Speaker 4: I mean, oh you need you need, you need to expand it out to like three or four hours and then have it. You have a little cigar hour as well, and he'll just hold court.
Speaker 3: Yeah, but they all get.
Speaker 7: A chance to tell their stories. We asked them about, you know, just kind of their experiences in town and and it is it's.
Speaker 15: A quick hour. We have a seven to eight.
Speaker 7: Have some breakfast and then it's eight to nine and they tell their stories and we have our big and Little brother of the Year who were telling their stories, and it's it's just there's just a lot going. It's a packed hour. But I'm telling you the stories that we've heard over the last seven years. It's just amazing what you walk away from in terms of, you know, perspective and appreciation, whether it's for the lives they've lived or they're impact here and just mentoring all together.
Speaker 1: Well, see you actually you have mentored what three four girls, three.
Speaker 15: Three little girls.
Speaker 7: I would always go over to Newport Elementary and our primary and just you know, it's for me. It was forty five minutes a week at her school, at their school, and so that worked out great. So we have those programs, which I was amazed by how much forty five minutes a week during a school year meant to a kid. It was stunning to me how much she looked forward, they look forward to me coming by and just kind of having lunch and talking about it and our community based program. You go and pick them up at their home maybe a Saturday or maybe on a Tuesday evening when you both have time, but you can make it work. You can make it work. And we have kids out there who would be so grateful, and a lot of bigs who are are best recruiters talking about the impact it makes on them too, and not just the kids. It's pretty incredible. These kids go to college, or they go into a trade, or they go to the military, and they end up being terrific members of society who give back on their own and the ripple effect in our communities is incredible because they're working and supporting their families and being really really great people to look up to.
Speaker 1: Cool well, and I think that's and we're talking to my wife Deborah and w we you and I've talked about it, and I know what you guys do and stuff. But I think that's a common misconception that you have to dedicate a day or a weekend or whatever the case might be to these kids. And as you said, I mean forty five minutes a week. It ain't nothing, but man, it can help a kid.
Speaker 7: Yeah, you barely knew. I was gone, That's what I was and then, but it is. It's just because it's somebody showing up for them who in their lives they don't necessarily have a lot of structure, and people who say they're going to show up don't. And so when I would walk through that door, or when any big walks through the door, those kids are just so appreciative that you have come back because you said you would, You were consistent, and you did what you say you were going to do, and it matters, and these kids matter, and so to have somebody in their lives. And I just really encourage people. Don't think it's going to take so much of your time. Think about adding this person into your schedule when you're running errands on a Saturday, or that's what you do for lunch one day a week on a Thursday. And we work really hard to make sure it doesn't cost people a bunch of money. We have a ton of activities and free things, and God love folks at the zoo, the nature Center, the museum Center, King's Island, all the sporting teams in town offer us tickets to get to our matches so that they could do those things the kids wouldn't have a chance to do.
Speaker 1: That's all.
Speaker 4: As I was gonna ask you about, like what are some things you can do? And then you know where does Big Brothers, Big sisters come in and help in that way. You mentioned the school, So does you guys all see partner with certain schools too, where you can sign up to be a mentor to a student that maybe even your local neighborhood school.
Speaker 7: Sure, we have certain there's certain schools that we have relationships with, but they're long term kind of relationships that we have, and so they're all over We serve thirteen counties and so we have them bodily throughout all of those counties. So if that's what fits best for you, like some people would want to go like for me, I left the office and went over to Newport. Some people might like to go to one of our after school programs closer to where they live. And so we have a lot of things. Trust me, if you want to volunteer with our agency, we will find a way and you can look at the website and just see the work that we're doing so results with the kids and just realize that it can work for you. And so that's you know, that's say when we have that kind of support from the community who want to volunteer, and then also the support from corporations and individuals like with his breakfast on Tuesday when it all comes together. We're so grateful that people think of us in that way to give us that support and that backing. It's just it's it's incredible.
Speaker 4: Really Big Bigs for Kids dot org.
Speaker 7: For kids, and yeah, on the social media platforms if you want to get in with that raffle. The social media platforms also have it all over the place. And I just I just think that that raffle is so fun. If you can't attend an event now is maybe not the right time to be a big I would highly recommend hopping on there because it's it is more than worthwhile what you're going to get for that ticket money.
Speaker 1: All right, darling, I will see you shortly and one more time.
Speaker 7: That website it's it's BIGS for Kids and that's f o R not the number, but Big four Kids dot org. That'll give you all the information we just talked about, fruiting, volunteering and other ways to support.
Speaker 1: My wife Deborah. Thank you, singing a bit, thank you, good stuff, thank you. Uh yeah, but I'm I am. I talk a lot of crap, but I'm so proud of what she does. They do great, great work.
Speaker 4: And you can tell deb is so passionate about it.
Speaker 1: And she's been doing over twenty years. Yeah, and she.
Speaker 4: Walks to walk and I mean she does it too. You know, she mentors and just works there, but does does the work. So that's great.
Speaker 1: One of the little girls that she mentored back when this girl came from a horrible home and was a real problem kid in school. And but you know, talking with Deb and Deb was her big sister for four or five years probably, and now that little girl has grown in college.
Speaker 4: That's awesome. So yeah, it gives me goosebumps. Turned it around, ayttle bit. Yeah.
Speaker 1: And so you know you always hear about people, you know, you come from a good it's bad parenting. Well, you know, do something if you can. That's all I'm thrown out there for you. With that, we check in with traffic and weather. What is going on from the UCE Health Traffic Center. Mamma gram Save Lives called five win three five eight four pink schedule your annual mammogram you see health sex per team five one three, five eight four pink. Seventy five southbound Shepherd to Paddock and southbound seventy five on Reagan Highway to Norwood. We're out lateral a little heavy with afternoon volumes. Seventy one is filling in northbound bridge to Stuart and two seventy five eastbound between seventy five and right around Levenon Road. It's about a five minute drive. The good news is we have no accidents to sort you down on the highway system right now. We've got witten at a Dutch company though with police activity. Just avoid that area as we have the police on the scene of a situation. Two seventy five is filling it a bit. At the Carol Cropper Bridge. We have the ongoing work at the Indiana Kentucky state line. Work on the Carrol Cropper Bridge continuing for a little while longer by Rick Schreproduce Radio seven hundred WLW. The forecast from a seven hundred WLW Weather Center forward and I partly cloudy and then clear towards morning. The low of thirty seven for tomorrow, sunshine and the high of fifty seven. We're talking about a frost advisory for tomorrow night on end of Friday morning. We'll talk about that tomorrow, but right now it is fifty four degrees seven hundred w l W.
Speaker 16: Maybe you missed one of our shows because the doctor had an oopsie during your vast sectomy.
Speaker 11: Oopsy doctor you cut off?
Speaker 1: No, no, no, don't worry. He's got another one.
Speaker 16: Don't worry. You can get the podcast of our shows and here what you missed. Check them out on the iHeartRadio.
Speaker 17: Add This report is sponsored by Ohio eight one one call it before you dig.
Speaker 1: The Williams from the Inquire Cincinnati dot Com is with.
Speaker 8: Me coming up.
Speaker 1: We're going to have one of your compadres after the four o'clock news.
Speaker 4: Alexander Coole is from the Inquired Business Reporter, talking about Dolly's being here and gone right. I didn't even get here, right.
Speaker 1: I think tomorrow is Everything's supposed to be a closed door.
Speaker 4: And big boy yep. Everything So.
Speaker 1: Now is fresh is going to try to make a comeback. There are fishes around, I know that, but is this. Were they going to come back in and go, okay, let's reclaim this and come back or they're just going to turn I forget who we talked to the other day. It was Nick Knakis, right, well, it was no from locally. It was Dan Munk from Channel nine from the I team who had been reporting on this as well. And he was talking about if some restaurant doesn't come in and claim these places, I'm going to just start parceling it out. And these are prime locations. Pricio's was always known for that, So that could be a car wash there, or a gas station or whatever. So I was thinking about it today. Actually, Jason, if if you would have told me, if you were told anybody who grew up around here, maybe ten years ago, you could kind of see it kind of circling the drain a little bit, because I was starting to go downhill and stuff. But certainly if you had told me twenty years ago that Frishes would be gone from this area, I would have told you you were nuts.
Speaker 4: I mean, Fishes was an institution here, correct Skyline Chili, Yeah.
Speaker 1: I mean that literally. It would be like every chili place goes out of business, you know, it's like every Skyline closed, every gold Star closed, whatever.
Speaker 4: But Frish has gone away. I'm never, in my wildest dreams, never. I mean, I've got one right down the street from my house. We used to go There're a lot my kids were smaller. They're little now, I mean, but when they were littler, we go there for the Saturday breakfast bar.
Speaker 1: That's why.
Speaker 4: I'll tell you it just it turned bad, not the food, just the service and the cleanliness of the restaurant. And it's like, e, that's what happened with us. I told that one the other day, exactly the same thing. When my kids were little, there was a freshes not too far from us, and you know they that's when your kids wouldn't get up. And believe me, if you don't have little kids yet, you better be ready to eat breakfast at six thirty seven o'clock on a Saturday morning, because if you ain't giving them cheerios, you better be ready to head someplace that opens early. And that's what we would do. We'd head to Fishes and do the breakfast bar. And I saw it just in the two or three years that the kids were little. I saw it just kind of man, after a while, that's pitiful, pet like you could just tell it like you just felt the yuck of the tables, like you never I never really knew if the table was clean or not. And like the door when you you know, go out the door or whatever, like it's like I'm usually pretty careful about that. I wear long sleeve which is one of the reasons why I do so. I always tuck my hand in. But I'm not really a German Poe. But like there, I was like, well this is yeah, I'm I don't worry about I do that around here. I can't remember the last time. I can't remember the last time I went to Frishes.
Speaker 1: At this point, I agree, uh, never turned down an onion ring or a big boy. But that big boy's good. And that's a I made. I tried to make my It's funny and we say, we're talking about this right now because I tried to make myself a fake buddy boy today. Oh really, because we had some good ham in the fridge. Yeah, and so I tried to fashion it and I got some Frishes tartar sauce we always have in the fridge, and it was nothing like it, but it was pretty damn good. Now, so I told my wife, was like, it's not a buddy boy, but it's a damn fiam sandwich. What is the buddy boy ham fresh's tartar sauce, cheese, cheez Yeah, a little little pickle, a little okay lettuce.
Speaker 4: That sounds good. Yeah. Now the good news is that the freshest tartar sauce is here to stay, because remember that's another company that has that.
Speaker 1: And that's not going anywhere. We get a guess about it. We talked to that lad. Yeah, yeah, Well we're going to be talking to Alex Koolidge coming up next about Dolly's. But now the news news Radio seven hundred WLW.
Speaker 13: News, Traffic and Weather. News Radio seven hundred.
Speaker 12: W l w D Cincinnati getting ready to break ground on a badly needed hotel.
Speaker 1: This is the four o'clock report.
Speaker 12: I'm Matt Reese breaking now. Soon construction begins on a new hotel downtown Cincinnati. The place is designed to be a game changer for invention planners development deals.
Speaker 18: Is better to be approved by the end of the month, clearing the way for construction of a half a billion dollar hotel in the heart of Cincinnati's convention district. The New Marriotta we built across the street from the renovated Convention Center. We'll have seven hundred rooms, making it easier visitors of the city to find someplace to stay downtown.
Speaker 5: When we have large music festival or a sellout game with the Steelers.
Speaker 11: All of the hotel rooms will just be booked.
Speaker 5: I think adding to it will only allow more people to stay downtown.
Speaker 18: Katie Westbrook with three CDC says they're still working on closing a twenty million dollar funding gap, but that won't stop them from breaking ground before the end of this year. New Mariette Headquarters Hotels slated to open in the second quarter of twenty twenty eight. On Brian Cops News Radio seven hundred.
Speaker 1: WLW, how's your drive home?
Speaker 12: Let's check it out for your latest traffic and weather together.
Speaker 6: From the UC Health Traffic Center, Mammogram Safe Lives called five one three five eight four pink. Scheduling your annual mammogram with the UC hell S Expert Team five one three five eight four pink. Five sing southbound between Ronaldeg And Highway, nor would the lateral with the ongoing roadwork. In the afternoon, volumes picking up southbound seventy five Shepherd to Paddock, seventy one northbound, filling a bit between Ridge and Stewart In two, seventy five east bound seventy five to US forty two eleven in Road about a five minute drive right now, and again police on the scene of a situation Winton road, a Dutch comedy and police have closed a portion of went in between the West North Bend and Kings Run Road. My bricks revenues Radio seven hundred well wo Now.
Speaker 16: The latest forecast from the No Feared Dentist Weather Center Advanced dentistry, the thought of the dentist making you a nervous wreck.
Speaker 11: We're here for you. No Fear Dentist dot Com got a.
Speaker 12: Frost advisory and a fact four tomorrow morning and a freeze watch at e thank for late Thursday night through Friday morning. For that frost advisory Tomorrow morning, temperatures possibly as low as thirty five. Freeze watch tomorrow night into Friday, temperatures possibly as low as thirty one. Clear skies tonight again dropping down into the thirties, sunny and fifty seven tomorrow. Areas of frost early Friday morning, otherwise sunny in a high fifty eight. We're going to have a low of thirty six on Friday night and partly sunny in a high fifty nine on Saturday. Fifty six degrees our temperature right now. This news brought to you by the low Tee Center. More on what's been going on in Winton Hills this afternoon. You heard some of it in traffic and arrest has been made after Swatt was called to an apartment complex in the area of Winton Road near Dutch Colony Drive. The interim Cincinnati Police Chief Adam Henny was reportedly on the scene. Name release now on the teenager killed in Iraq in Fairfield a couple of days ago. She is a nineteen year old Alexis Kleinbel of Moscow. She was in a vehicle that wrecked at the intersection of Woodridge Boulevard and Ross Road. Middletown. Man's accused of public indecency after Fairfield Township police say he was seen by students from a bus in an act of public indecency. Police say it happened yesterday on Route four bypass north of Tylersville Road. The suspect, forty three year old Brandon Kouhlenberg, was allegedly driving a car alongside that bus at the time he was seen. How about driving to and from work without looking at the road? New technology news from.
Speaker 5: GM GM already offers super Crews, a technology that allows drivers to take their hands off the wheel when driving on certain roads using a camera on the steering column to ensure drivers are still looking at the road. But now GM says starting in twenty twenty eight, drivers will be able to take their eyes off the road too. Patrick George of Inside Evs says, so far only California and Nevada allow for such a technology, and only in a limited capacity.
Speaker 1: How are they going to roll this out nationally?
Speaker 5: So I guess they're expecting something to change in the next three year.
Speaker 12: Mike Debaski, ABC News Mercedes already offer his eyes off hands off driving, but only in California and Nevada. Speaking of high tech, you're going to have to get your face scanned if you want to use one of the biggest dating apps on the planet, Tinder, announcing a first of its kind facial verification feature that helps confirm users are real and match their profile photos.
Speaker 1: Four h six here SEG.
Speaker 13: Seven one hundred WLW Sports Here's.
Speaker 14: A Bengals update, brought to you by good Spirits at party Town with thirteen convenient locations in northern Kentucky. Bengals wide receiver Jamar Chase is the AFC Offensive Player of the Week. Chase set a Bengals single game record with sixteen receptions good for one hundred and sixty one yards and a touchdown Thursday night and a win over the Steelers. Willie Anderson and Luke Keighley are among fifty two players advancing in the voting process for the Pro Football Hall of Fame Class of twenty twenty six. College basketball Get the latest on the Cincinnati Bearcats tonight. The West Millership live in the Rege of Montgomery in at eight o five right here on seven hundred WLW, Bill Dennison seven hundred WLW sport.
Speaker 12: A little bit of a beating on Wall Street this afternoon. The now closing down three hundred and thirty four points, SP five hundred off thirty six NASDAC down two hundred and forty eight next news for thirty matt Rees News Radio seven hundred Double D Wild Double D.
Speaker 17: This report is sponsored by Continental Roof Company, Best Products, Best Price.
Speaker 1: The first time County's thing that really, it surprised me what a big deal it was. I mean, I get the whole freshes thing kind of full, and I've gotten you. I've gotten a couple of emails from people saying there are good frishes around. I get it there totally are, yes, but they are you know, they're think about I have no idea. I wish I had that number in front of me. How many fishes there were in this in the Tri state area, and every one of it. If you walked into frishes, you knew what you were getting. It was going to be good, The service was going to be good, it was going to be clean, everything was going to be the food was going to be spot on. Boom boom boom. And that just kind of trickled away, and then these Dolly's things come in and it's almost like people resented them for they were taking over the old big boy locations, right correct, Yeah, Dolly's Burgers and uh, what was it? Burgers and shakes? I never went to one. Well, let's talk to your Campadre. Oh, buddy, Alexander Coolidge, Alex, welcome back to the program. Hi guys, you going good? And buddy you you've been reporting on this since since the get go? And so is it, Alex almost that these they were a victim of people kind of resenting them, almost like they came in and forced fishes out when all they were doing was coming in and taking over these locations. Or is it more just they didn't know how to manage restaurants.
Speaker 15: I'm not sure.
Speaker 19: What exactly it was. There were signs early on that there were some issues. Just to take it back a little bit for review a year ago, you know, all through fall and well into winter, Fresh's Big Boys at a massive falling out with its prime landlord, and it went from having about eighty restaurants plus grand total, you know, including well over a dozen here just in Cincinnati, to having they only have about thirty one total locations now and a lot of those are actually licensed and franchised out to other operators, not not even run by Fresh's itself for saying that sort of thing. So they they were actually they went through eviction processes. They were like just dungeons of these things. They closed last winter and their their landlord said, you know, you always more than four point five million dollars in back rent, uh, and we're kicking you out.
Speaker 3: And then it got.
Speaker 19: Really interesting because it turns out that same landlord started talking the Big Boy out of Michigan, which is a related they're not related, they're like sibling companies. Big Boy first appeared in California. California. Big Boy was trying to figure out how to expand uh, and he discovered the dawn of franchising.
Speaker 11: He cut a deal with.
Speaker 19: Frishes back in the you know, the forties, saying, hey, here's your territory, use my brand name, that sort of thing. Well, he cut us a similar deal with a group of brothers out of Michigan and did the same thing then. And what this is like going back to the forties and fifties all that. Later on, the Michigan folks bought out California, and so there's sort of these two historic brands that have existed for eons, Harry. So the landlord talks to Michigan, Michigan says, hey, you got a bunch of old restaurants and are closed, We'll take them over. So that's how this whole thing started with that.
Speaker 1: That's how the dollies thing came along, right, Yeah.
Speaker 19: Yeah, yeah, Well, Henry, what happens is Chriscia's big boy gets the wind of it, and then he said, wait a minute, you can't come in here and open up big boys operating big boys with.
Speaker 1: Our names in our territory.
Speaker 19: Yeah, because what happened was there was there there have been multiple agreements over the decades about the use of the name, and what Frish has said was, wait a minute, we have a trademark. Your company is called Big Boy, but we own Big Boy in Cincinnati and throughout much of Ohio. So that's where the uh so, Big Boy Michigan is in the mid ends of this expansion, and they're.
Speaker 1: Like, going, well, i'll tell you what.
Speaker 19: Well, let's just call it Dollies for now, named after Big Boy's girlfriend in the comic books from back back in the day, and we'll just sort of see it from there. But there was this ongoing lawsuit over the trademark for these past several months, and then and then there were signs of problems that emerged quickly after they opened the Dollies. They opened the first couple very close to each other here in Cincinnati in early March, and at the time, the folks from Big Boy Michigan said, Hey, we're going to reopen fifty of these things, and we're all gonna you know, they're all going to operate under us. And they always described Dollies as sort of a working title name, meaning it was just going to be sort of.
Speaker 1: Temporary that sort of thing. But then and they were interviewing people, they.
Speaker 19: Were soliciting people to apply for jobs, and upwards of twenty of these things in the spring. But then all of a sudden, all that disappears by about April. What the last location of Dollies that opened was in April, and that was in Dell High. It was in that far from my house actually, and I've eaten there a few times. I ate there a few weekends ago. Thought it was fine, but it was very, very very underpopulated that yeah, And I drove past it several times. I would notice just mine. I was like, I was always going, hey, I got to write an update about these guys, And I'm like going, man, they should have don't have a lot of people in the park lot.
Speaker 3: I'm not sure what's up with about that.
Speaker 19: So that's kind of at a roundabout, uh recap, I guess.
Speaker 1: So let me ask you, Alex. So we were talking about their kind of that was supposed to be like a temporary branding. Was the hope that eventually they were going to get the Frish's name to use, or were they going to rebrand.
Speaker 19: It off all together. They didn't want to call it Frish's Big Boy. They just wanted to call it Big Boys. So if they won, they would have you would have had Big Boy Restaurants, and then you would have had Fish's Big Boy Restaurants here in Cincinnati.
Speaker 3: So that would have been the issue.
Speaker 19: I think part of what might have well.
Speaker 3: I don't.
Speaker 19: This is a part of the show called we don't know because both of these companies are private energies and there's only so much disclosure in all the court filings.
Speaker 1: But we'll call it I I.
Speaker 19: Don't know what I think. Uh, it's possible that the fact that the temporary branding might have hurt them, A lot of people might not have. There was there was a lot of hype about this, a lot of a lot of news, a lot of stories written by myself and many other outlets saying, oh, here's Dolly's there related the Big Boy, but they're fighting with this other big Boy that sort of thing. But a lot of people might have missed that, and they might have been just going, what the heck is this Dolly's concept? I don't, I don't, I don't know anything about it, that sort of thing, and I'm busy and I don't have enough money. And by the way, what's up with all these temporary signs they keep putting up. They were like putting these like tarts up. You said dollies on.
Speaker 4: Your story. Yeah, from your Yeah, that's right. It just looks looks pretty uh pretty low rent. You got a question, Alex, so tomorrow all the doll all these clothes by October twenty three, reading from your sorens and saying dot com, meanwhile, are the are the Frishes big boys that are still around?
Speaker 1: Are they remaining open? Are they also closing tomorrow?
Speaker 19: No, they're They're They're gonna stay open. And they even uh, they were like crowing, uh you know, the same day that they shut.
Speaker 3: Down, and it's like, we're open.
Speaker 1: It's wonderful, it's great.
Speaker 19: Gotcha they were all but they were all the thing ding dong, which is dead. Yeah, it's crazy. Now they haven't changed their giant wave of closures you know was uh I think it. I don't remember when the last one, uh, when they were doing their mass closings, I don't remember when the very last one happened.
Speaker 6: Uh.
Speaker 19: They were doing it almost in the in the undercover of the night. But it was either this past January or or in just basically but they have thirty I think thirty one locations in Kentucky, Indiana, and Ohio all together, and that has remained stable for several months now.
Speaker 1: So yeah, I I'm just real curious to see how all this shakes out. And and let me ask you too. We're talking to Alexander Coolidge from the Inquire Cincinnati dot com. Alex, it seems that so for a company that you know, is so big as the Dollies whatever you want to call them, branch of this were and operating all these stories in Michigan and California. Yeah, everything I heard about him was that they had staffing issues, they had supply issues. That people were going in there and I want a big boy or whatever and they'd be, oh, well, we don't have any Hamburgers today. I mean, not that drastic. Maybe not that drastic, but it was stuff like that, I mean, how can that happen? Well, that's pretty crazy.
Speaker 19: A lot of there's a lot of there's a lot of common ones in the restaurant industry. To add to it, I think a lot of a lot of restaurants, not just Dollies, not just Freshes, are also struggling with just pricing uh. Cumulative inflation since the since just before the before the pandemic outbreak, is the cost of living is twenty five percent plus more than it was five a little over five years ago.
Speaker 3: It's it's uh.
Speaker 19: And unless you've gotten uh twenty five percent worth of raises. At whatever job you're working, you're you're making Consumers are making less money than they used to so and then restaurants are caught in the middle. They have higher prices, they have to charge more or figure things out, and then they have customers who don't want to spend as much.
Speaker 9: My last the last time I went.
Speaker 19: To Dolly's, I was like, my father in law wanted to try, you know, go there for like a family breakfast. We three people, We ate fifteen bucks of plate and we're talking like eggs and you know, pancakes, that sort of thing. That's you know, that was not the most outrageous meal I've ever had. But you know that's not exactly that. There's no booze involved.
Speaker 1: They're having mimosas. Bloody Mary's right.
Speaker 19: It's you know, going out to eat in twenty twenty five is a lot different than it used to be, and it's it remains it's people are those who do go out are being very choosy. And you know that's part of an ongoing saying the restaurant industry. The reason there was an opening for Dollies was because Frishes we was struggling so mightily with these same with these same factors.
Speaker 1: So all right with with that, Alexander Coolidge, we appreciated alex Thanks so much, buddy, good stuff friend. All right, tell you Alexander Coolidge from the Inquirer Cincinnati dot man.
Speaker 4: He's been all over this big boy, Frish's Fresh's big boy.
Speaker 1: We've talked to him a couple of times.
Speaker 4: Dolly's whatever. That my head spinning from all the names and who's doing what? He's been all over that story.
Speaker 1: Go back to what I said earlier, I can't believe that Frishes has basically gone away.
Speaker 4: Yep.
Speaker 1: With that, we check in with traffic and weather, what is going on?
Speaker 6: And from the UC Health Traffic Center, Mamma Graham, Saved Lives called five one three, five eight four pink schedule your annual Mammo Graham, did you see health sex per Team five one three, five eight four pink two seventy five He spotted seventy one in Ohio. We've got a crash with UH slowdowns out back to Moss would just picked this up. It's about a five minute delay through the area. Also an accident time seventy five south bound before Donaldson on the left shoulder. Break down seventy five northbound the on ramp from Norwood the lateral causing about a five minute delay. From Mitchell, seventy five south just before the Brent Spence Bridge, a disabled vehicle breakdown reported and we've got cruise on the scene now. Dixie Highway A Buttermilk Pike is an accident being cleaned up, and we've got seventy five sowing southbound Shepherd to Panic and seventy one heavy Ridge to Stewart. It's about a seven minute drive. Rick Trempanies Radio seven hundred WDLW.
Speaker 1: The forecast from a seven hundred WLW Weather Center forward an partly cloudy and then clear towards morning. The low of thirty seven for tomorrow, sunshine and the high of fifty seven. We're talking about a frosted visory for tomorrow night on end of Friday morning. We'll talk about that tomorrow, but right now it is fifty four degrees seven hundred wl W.
Speaker 13: Is it true Tom brennanman arranges the food on his dinner plate in alphabetical order.
Speaker 11: That is not true.
Speaker 13: Is it true? Government scientists have studied Tom Brenneman's brain to better mankind.
Speaker 11: That's not true, but sounds like a pretty good idea, he said.
Speaker 13: True, Tom Brennaman is the best way to start your day.
Speaker 11: You bet it's true.
Speaker 20: I've got the latest news, weather, traffic, sports, investment.
Speaker 9: News, and always a good time.
Speaker 1: It's my morning gift.
Speaker 13: To you, Tom Brenneman, Tomorrow morning at five am on seven hundred WLW.
Speaker 1: This report is sponsored by Our American Stories.
Speaker 8: This is Leehavi post of our American Stories on our neck.
Speaker 1: Ason Williams from the Inquirer Cincinnati dot com is with me Rockaby back tomorrow. So, Jayson, I ever since I was a kid, I've wanted to be on some kind of game show. I don't care if I could see I could see that with you, you know, being the radio guy all those years and wow, no, I just well, I wanted to be on it, not announce it. I'm wanted to be on Prices, Riot or freaking whatever. Pick one of them ten thousand dollars. Well, whatever is now one hundred thousand dollars pyramid. You just wanted to see Barker's beauties, Well, no doubt about that. I ain't gonna lie. When I was a kid, I kind of bind for a couple of those girls, and apparently so did Bob. But but this local woman that we're about to talk to actually realize that dream, my dream, Amanda. Yeah, you get it to Amanda. Tolkien's our guest and Amanda, so let's first off, congratulations for making it there. Amanda's a local attorney working at for Carl Lewis and the at that agency, and uh so explained the process from jump it would do people caepe telling you, hey, Amanda, you should try to get in there, and did that kind of thing or what happened.
Speaker 21: So I've always been huge in the trivia. I've been playing bar trivia around the town. It's probably fifteen twenty years. And I have applied to Jeopardy since I was in college, so probably close to twenty years. You take the online anytime tests and then if you do well enough, they have you taken another test pre COVID. It was in person, but now it's they have a camera on to make sure you're not cheating, and then you do well enough on that they have you on a Zoom interview with eight or nine other people and if they like what they see, you could get a call anytime in the next two years to come out to LA.
Speaker 4: And they liked what they saw. How when did this process then from that moment start and how long before you end up ultimately getting on air getting.
Speaker 3: That call.
Speaker 21: This time around? I think I took the test in January, and it's actually kind of funny. The Zoom interview. I forgot that my laptop mike didn't work and so I was freaking out. They couldn't hear me and we had to reschedule it. But I did it again, I want to say, in May or June, and then I got a called August and they said, hey, can you come out here in September? And I said I'm already going out for Oasis and they said you should just stay.
Speaker 4: Wow, So what.
Speaker 1: So how what a happened stance that was? And what two entirely different things that is?
Speaker 21: Unfortunately I could not stay in LA for two weeks. My brother lives in Santa Monica. So I took two trips in a week to La So and that's how I got the Rose Bowld question. I was there the week before.
Speaker 1: Well see, yeah, that's the thing, and I got it and I got to tell you. But what described before we get into the actual show itself with you being up on stage and stuff, what's the prep? Like, I mean, how how do they stage this? Are they? I would assume they're shooting multiple episodes at a time?
Speaker 7: Huh five a day?
Speaker 1: Five a day?
Speaker 7: Okay, five a day.
Speaker 21: So they told me I had to be out there for at least two days.
Speaker 1: So where are you during? Are you in the audience? Are you sequestered someplace round? Does that work?
Speaker 21: They're actually pretty good about suppressing. If you haven't played yet, you get to see a live feed of the episodes, but all the contestants are kept in a green room until you fly.
Speaker 4: And is there any way to prepare for what you're gonna what the categories are going to be? And I know you've you've been preparing for years, I mean, doing trivia all over the place. And obviously I'm sure you're an avid reader and you know, consuming all kinds of history and current events and everything. But is there any way that you then in that moment, like you know you're going to go on stage ahead of that, are you doing any kind of a crash course on you know, something that you think they might they might be a category.
Speaker 21: So I watched tens of old episodes, but then I also ordered a few encyclopedias and just did everything I could that. I've always been the kind of person that if I have questions, I'll just go down Wikipedia hole.
Speaker 11: Yeah, and.
Speaker 21: We read lots of news and if I'm curious about something. I'm actually in an online trivia league as well learned league, so that helped a ton. And I had a really good friend who went on a few years ago, so she kind of trapped me a little bit too in terms of just what to expect, and but she went during COVID, so that was a very different experience.
Speaker 3: Right.
Speaker 1: So let's and we're talking to Amanda Tolki, who was on Jeopardy just the other night. I've always when I've heard people talk about being on that show, that the tree, and I think Ken Jennings one of the big things he had was you got to learn how to hit that quick clicker at the right time or it's a right.
Speaker 21: Is the buzzer? Yes, And unfortunately that's one of the weirdest things to try to practice. I would watch the show with you know, kind of a clickie pen. Okay, but until you get there, you can't really practice on their system.
Speaker 4: So the moment the first time you're using that is that when the when the on air camera comes on, the bright lights go on.
Speaker 21: Well, thankfully they let us do two rounds of rehearsal before we found any episode.
Speaker 1: Okay, okay, well let me uh, let me ask you what's what's Ken Jennings like?
Speaker 21: Oh he was so personable, unfriendly and so much fun to talk to. You could tell he really liked trivia and are kind of behind the scenes thing at the end of the episode when you can hear him or see him talking to us, but you can't hear it. He will actually ask people how they got questions. He didn't know, so when he first gets the questions that day, he goes through and he plays a lot.
Speaker 1: Oh wow, that's cool.
Speaker 21: Yeah, well he asked me about one of mine and it felt so good.
Speaker 1: Well, I will tell you, Amanda that watching the last question see I'm I always make fun of my wife because if we're watching any game show, I don't care if it's Jeopardy or especially Price is Right. I don't know why, but you know, Price is Rights On the background, I'm in there eating lunch or doing work or whatnot, and she's yelling at the TV screen. You any it is fine thousand dollars. And I the other night I was going Tom Brokell, Tom Broke, call Tom.
Speaker 21: Broke, all, Oh, I'm going to be checking myself for years over that.
Speaker 1: I mean, when you when you heard did you go damn? I knew that.
Speaker 21: Yeah, it was definitely. I mean, I'm just pretty close with Dan Rather, but yeah, that was just the person that came to mind. And it just happens for crass like thirty seconds.
Speaker 11: Right.
Speaker 1: Well, I would, I would. I would think that your mind is going ninety thousand different directions at a moment like that. Right.
Speaker 21: Well, the first thing I thought was, this isn't a celebrity author question? That was the category?
Speaker 1: Right?
Speaker 7: Oh?
Speaker 8: Right?
Speaker 1: Right? So you're you're think is going to be like Jack Nicholson.
Speaker 8: Yeah.
Speaker 21: I love to listen on my drives in to work to audio books of celebrity memoirs. I feel like you get so much more when you hear them, either unworse right, right, So that's what I expected.
Speaker 1: Did you have any how many people were in the studio audience?
Speaker 21: Generally, I would say probably thirty to forty people.
Speaker 1: Okay, did you have anyone there as your special guest?
Speaker 21: My brother thankfully?
Speaker 1: Yeah?
Speaker 21: Oh yeah. I told him as soon as I come out on stage, raise your hands. I know where you're at.
Speaker 1: Nice were you were you?
Speaker 15: Oh?
Speaker 4: Go ahead, go ahead.
Speaker 21: I was just gonna say it was so nice to be able to touch base with him on Sunday before it aired, to make sure, like, hey, I'm not gonna look stupid, right.
Speaker 1: See, that's the I would hate to go on that show and just sit there and look like a complete dummy because I would dummy up and my mind would go vacant. And the fact that Chiquin thing at all, kudos to you, my friend.
Speaker 4: Yeah.
Speaker 21: Oh, I wanted sports, and I'm so thankful I got a sports category because that's what I was aiming for. And the funniest thing is I get off stage and his first thing is, I can't believe you didn't know who Vin Scully was.
Speaker 7: Like I did.
Speaker 21: I just didn't buzz in in time because there's tons of questions I knew, but the competitiveness took over and as soon as I got the first one right of.
Speaker 1: His game on yeah cool, nice, well we got it handed to you. Because I mean, I'm not lying, Amanda. If I was in a situation like that, I would totally freeze up. And the fact that you you competed and you were you were there and capable of winning, not me. I would have been zeroed across from jump.
Speaker 21: I appreciate that was question I answered. I remember sitting there doing the math in my head, like I need to get this right.
Speaker 7: So it's on a runaway.
Speaker 2: Game and no.
Speaker 4: Typically again, I don't know if they say it. At the end of Jeopardy way they say, oh, we have some nice party ifs for you. Did you get those? And if so, what were they?
Speaker 21: So they gave us all a Jeopardy hat and a tote bag and a few odds and ends. But second place gets three thousand and third place gets two thousand. Nice because they didn't pay for anything in terms of flight or anything.
Speaker 11: Exactly.
Speaker 21: Well so not completely, but I played to win.
Speaker 1: I wanted to come back well, Amanda, let me ask you this before we let you go. Are you allowed to reapply? Can you go back and try again sometime?
Speaker 21: I don't think so. Unfortunately, unless they call me, which I would love to go back.
Speaker 3: And a heartbeat, I.
Speaker 21: Will say for the Cincinnati fans during the rehearsal, Jimmy from the Cuck crew, who used to do all those clues around the world is now the stage manager. And he pretended to be and Jennings and he said, Hey, ask me a question. And I asked him, what's your favorite clue crew? And he said when I went to the Steelers' training camp, and he was taken aback when I responded, was that pre or post Roethlisberger?
Speaker 9: You love?
Speaker 21: Talk about it? And he goes, why would you say that? Some Bengals fan for the rest of the day. But see Jimmy, I say, who day? And thankfully it was before the Minnesota game.
Speaker 1: But well, really fun again, congratulations and thanks for talking to us. We appreciate it. Thank you, Amanda Tolki. She worked for the Carl Lewis Law practice, and uh that and and I'm not kidding Jason, I mean I consider and talking to this Michael all the you know, all day long, but standing in front of cameras with a bunch of people watching me trying to do trivia. I could sit in a bar and drink beers and do dumb trivia with a couple of my buddies. But standing up there with that kind of pressure, I would fold dude right and then.
Speaker 4: And then happened to dance and then on. You got to be so quick to do it. And I mean, it's that's an intense.
Speaker 1: Well's like I said, that's what I always heard that you got to the You obviously have to be quick of the mind. Would you have to be that clicker thing? You think about it?
Speaker 4: I mean, we didn't ask her, but I bet this is probably only twenty two to twenty three minutes worth of a show.
Speaker 1: It's a recording.
Speaker 4: See you think about that, the intensity of that in twenty two minutes.
Speaker 8: Yep.
Speaker 4: Yeah, good job Amanda with the plays to win. And you know what, I love that. I love that and she almost did with that. We check in with traffic and weather. What is going on.
Speaker 6: During Mammogram Saved Lives called five one, three, five eight four Pink schedule your annual mammogram with uc Hell Sexpert Team five one three, five eight four, Pink two seventy five he spawned seventy one. We have the crash here that has sodowns to Reed Hartman and about a five minute delay now to seventy five past Princeton Pike. Crash reported as well. Breakdowns on seventy five southbound at Norwood Lateral and they have got a couple of vehicles here and laying closures here because of this breakdown, So playing on a delay through that stretch. Seventy five southbound before the Brent Spence is a breakdown in for seventy one now northbound that off ramp to southbound seventy one. Cruise on the scene and we're waiting on a tow truck to get that out of the way. Freeman at Gas to crash in seventy five southbound Viaduct to the Brent Spence Bridge is about an eight minute trip. Rick SHREMPANDEWS Radio seven hundred wd WELW.
Speaker 1: The forecast from a seven hundred WLW weather Center forward and I partly cloudy and then clear towards morning. The low of thirty seven for tomorrow, sunshine and the high of fifty seven. We're talking about a Frost advisory for tomorrow night on end of Friday morning. We'll talk about that tomorrow. Right now, it is fifty four degrees seven hundred w l W. When you're feeling overwhelmed and tired, I'm here. He's smart and funny and genuine. He's one of a kind. When you're concerned about work and your family, I'm here. When I listen to Willie, I feel better about things.
Speaker 15: I'm here to ease your mind, provide honest information and conversation, and raise your spirits.
Speaker 11: Willy cares about me and my family. All you have to do is listen to me. The great America. I want to be a great American, just like Willie.
Speaker 1: You're Cummingham tomorrow at twelve noon on seven hundred w l W. This report is sponsored by blindster dot.
Speaker 11: Com menew blinds at blindster dot com.
Speaker 5: We offer guaranteed low prices, guaranteed satisfaction.
Speaker 1: And for Rocky Today, rock Back tomorrow coming up. It is Wednesdays with Willie. We'll be talking to him after the news, and I want to talk to him about his TV experience. And I also because you brought up a good point, Lilli seems like like he would have been a great contestant on Jeopardy.
Speaker 4: I totally. I mean, the guy he knows his current events and history. He's one of those guys that knows a lot about a lot because he's I mean, he's probably like Amanda, just avid reader. I don't know if he plays bar trivia. I can't see Willie hopping around playing bar trivia.
Speaker 1: But I'm stopping by, you know, just.
Speaker 4: I do know that that guy is a avid, avid reader and uh, just a connoisseur of news of all kinds of news sources.
Speaker 1: Here's where Willie would go down. Pop culture. Pop culture, yeah, you know, I mean anything to do with music or you know, TV or anything. I don't think that Willy would know much about the movies or TV.
Speaker 4: I agree overall, but man, he does. He does seem to know is Taylor Swift and he knows his Tate. Well, that's a lot. That's creepy for a lot of reasons, to be honest with you, But uh, he was on what was he He was on something. He just harped on something for like two weeks. It was a pop culture thing. It was it Tate, It was something about Tate. It might have been Tata and Travis. I think I might have been it.
Speaker 1: There was, Well, he's still stuck on Belichick and his that's the one, Yes, is stuck on that five year old girlfriend. Yes, that's the one I'm thinking about. He did.
Speaker 4: He did harp on Tata and Travis for a while, but not nearly as much as he has on the Belichick thing. Yeah, Jordan's Jordan's bill. Well, that's you're right. I think I think Willy. I think movies would take Willy out. Movies and music. He wouldn't know which is where you would come in.
Speaker 1: Well, if if we could be teams, I would know that stuff, right, you know, world history and the government and stuff like that. Forget about it. But there was there was something. It was on the other of the day. I forget who was. Oh is Joe Dieters and so Dieters. Apparently it had been at a wedding and that Jordan was coming to and I think Joe's brothers was still there. I forget exactly how when, but one of his brothers was still there, and Jordan showed up after Joe had left, and uh so she asked, uh so the guy, Joe said, asked him, you know, show her Bill Cunnyham and see if she knows about this guy in Cincinnati you think she's hot.
Speaker 3: Uh?
Speaker 1: And so the guy explained, this guy's a talk show host in Cincinnati and blah blah blah, and uh, he totally is talking about you all the time and thinks you're hot. And she and oh, go, that's cute. And he goes and she goes, well, you got any pictures of her? And so she he's always showed her the picture and his quin Deater's quote was and she looks at it and goes ew. Now, I don't know if that's kind of apocryphal, if that really happened, but in my little pea brain, I like to think that it happened.
Speaker 4: I mean, I don't know, really is such a handsome guy. Well, that's what I'm saying.
Speaker 1: I would say you if I looked at him, I would go, well, because I'm of a certain age igo Alfred Newman. I think he was in the Archie comics or something. But it's a different story altogether. We will be talking to mister Cunningham after the news right now. News Radio is seven hundred W LW.
Speaker 13: News, traffic and weather News Radio seven hundred double L Cincinnati.
Speaker 12: Cincinnati police shoot at a suspect. This is the five o'clock report. I'm Matt Reeese breaking now, Winton Hills the scene this afternoon. The Cincinnati Police opening fire and they chased the suspect. The pursuit was on foot after police tried to pull over a vehicle this afternoon.
Speaker 22: During that foot pursuit, they believe that the individual displayed a firearm and at that time and that officer fired one round at the suspect, did not strike the suspect.
Speaker 12: That's acting Cincinnati Police Chief Adam Henny. The suspect went into an apartment on Winton Road north of Dutch Colony. Swat was called in. The suspect was arrested. Apparently nobody was injured. On the police radio, this officer saying his cruiser was struck three times. Apparently during the initial vehicle pursuit. Pulling got on police and ram police time, but was ultimately made. No police officers were injured. The suspect was not injured either. Now we check your drive home. We have the latest traffic and weather together from the UC Health Traffic Center. Mammogram saved lives called five one three five eight four.
Speaker 4: Pink.
Speaker 6: Schedule your annual mammogram with UC healths Expert Team five one three five eight four pink. Well Traffic on seventy five is selling your shamake your way southbound nor Wood Lateral breakdown reported here. Accident on two seventy five east bound past Princeton Pike and two seventy five east at seventy one in Ohio. The accident has delays to read Hartman Highway in about a five minute delay. Construction delays southbound seventy five Ronald Reagan Highway to Norwood Lateral. And we also are looking at a breakdown at four to seventy one northbound that off ramp to seventy one Cruiser there Freeman a guest, that's an accident. And on seventy five we're selling southbound Shepherd to Paddock and from the Viadict to the Brent Spence. I'm Rick sh REMP News Radio seven hundred Double do Wel, Double doo.
Speaker 16: Now the latest forecast from the No Fear Dentist Weather Center. Advanced dentistry, the thought of the dentist making you a nervous wreck.
Speaker 11: We're here for you, no fear dentist dot com.
Speaker 20: Tonight clear and temperature is in the middle thirties. We'll see a frost advisory for tonight now four Thursday, at sunshine and a few clouds, a high of fifty eight, but at night clear colder, most areas below freezing. We'll see a freeze warning issued a low down to thirty six degrees in Cincinnati. From your severe Weather station, I'm nine first Warning Chief Meteorologist Steve Rawley, News Radio seven hundred WLA.
Speaker 12: Right now fifty seven degrees. This news brought to you by Postman Law Late us on the change in leadership at CPD, this time from a councilman reaction previous chief on leave won't resign once her job back or attorney blaming politics. Now reaction from that member of Cincinnati City Council. Frustrated over all the dramas.
Speaker 18: Cincinnati City Council and Seth Wall says he hasn't been told anything more by city leaders and what's been released in the media. He tells her Scott Sloan that he's just as frustrated as everybody else over the drama at city Hall, over the future of the city's police chief Wallso it's the latest in a long list of communication failures by the administration.
Speaker 23: It seems like chaos reigned for thirty six hours at city Hall and bad decisions were made and that's not okay and that's not acceptable, and that's the big problem here. People need to come out and say what actually happened in led to this and why this decision was made.
Speaker 18: Walsh calls us a bad look for the city, says, not only is it destroying police officer morale, because it's damaging recruitment efforts by the department as it desperately tries to convince people from other departments to transfer to Cincinnati. Brian Colps News Radio, So ivenever jumped you well?
Speaker 12: Does name release now on the teen victim of a deadly rank at Ross Road and Woodridge Boulevard in Fairfield a couple of days ago. She is a Lexus klein Bell of Moscow, nineteen years of age, was in a vehicle that flipped over several times. Bon Jovie hits the road next year for the first time since twenty twenty two. Starts off the Forever Tour with four shows in New York in July. Then they go overseas bands only played a handful of one off concerts since twenty twenty two. Is John bon Jovi recovered from vocal cord surgery on Wall Street, the dow fell by three hundred and thirty four points, SMP five hundred down by thirty five, and ASDAK lost two hundred and thirteen.
Speaker 13: Seven one hundred WLW Sports.
Speaker 14: Here's a Bengals update, brought to you by Good Spirits at Party Town with thirteen convenient locations in northern Kentucky. Bengals wide receiver Jamar Chase is the AFC Offensive Player of the Week. Chase set a Bengals single game record with sixteen receptions good for one hundred and sixty one yards and a touchdown Thursday night and a win over the Steelers. Willie Anderson and Luke Keighley are among fifty two players advancing in the voting process for the Pro Football Hall of Fame Class of twenty twenty six. College basketball Get the latest on this Cincinnati Bearcats tonight the West Miller Show Live in the Ridge of Montgomery in at eight o five right here on seven hundred WLW. Bill Dennison seven out a WLW sports.
Speaker 12: Your next update at five point thirty Matt Reese NewsRadio seven hundred w WELW.
Speaker 10: This report is sponsored by Staples.
Speaker 17: Your local Staples has hot deals and super low prices throughout the store on everything for your business.
Speaker 2: Thousand dollars entered this nationwide keyword on our website.
Speaker 15: Win.
Speaker 3: That's win. Enter it now.
Speaker 1: All right back on the Eddie and Rocky Show. Rock will be back tomorrow. Jason Williams from the Inquirer Cincinnati dot Com is with me, and right now, Jason, we are joined by this fellow right here who's calling in for vacation. By the way, talk about working thing. My handsome, very very handsome, very very handsome man. William Uh William Jefferson Cunningham is with us, being brought to you by the fine folks at Joseph Autumn and Willie. Let's talk about We just talked to Amanda Tolki, who was on Jeopardy the other night. Now, Jason and I were talking about the fact that you seem like you would be a fine contestant for Jeopardy. Did you ever consider it?
Speaker 15: You know, when Jennings was kicking ass like mister asked for like forty thousand games in a row. I knew the two or three questions he did not know the answer to, And so I want to somehow. I'm going to get involved in Jeopardy it somehow because I know a little bit about everything a lot about nothing. And that's exactly what you need if you're on Jeopardy, would you agree a lot just general knowledge about different arts and sciences and factual information and Shakespearean plays and world capitals and geomorphology and geology and those issues I've dealt with my whole life. So I'm going to try to get on. She did a pretty good job, but let's face it, the pressure is on anybody to make a five foot putt when it doesn't matter. You got to make the putt when it does matter. And Ken Jennings is the king of all time.
Speaker 1: When the money is on the line, you gotta sink that putt.
Speaker 15: Son Now, when you've seen the Western Hill stick a putter or two.
Speaker 1: For all of the marbles, absolutely with the bright lights on. And I and I remember choking one time when you were gonna win like a thousand dollars and Mac does and I win a thousand, and I'm like Wow, I'm not going to say through the game.
Speaker 15: Jason was worse than that. He hit a ten foot putt and I said, all you got to do is two putts and we win.
Speaker 1: Yeah, he had.
Speaker 15: The first putt was five feet and the second putt was four feet. The ball never got to the hole after two times. Never got there.
Speaker 1: Well, that's that's sorry, now, Willie. Jason and I were talking. I think your your downfall might be unless it's about Bill Belichick and his young girlfriend, it might be your weakness. Your downfall might be pop culture and that type of thing. Would you agree with that?
Speaker 15: I don't know. I watch Inside a Dition and I'm pretty up on RadarOnline dot com. TMZ's one of the websites I check in every day.
Speaker 9: Told you I know about Jordan Hudson.
Speaker 15: I do Jordan Hudson and the wedding plans. She told her girlfriend she wants to start a family with Bill Belichick, and about three more weeks from now, they're gonna have a lot.
Speaker 19: Of time to hook up.
Speaker 15: I think he's gonna be fired at some point where he's gonna say, what the hell, I can't do it.
Speaker 19: Then they have lots of free time.
Speaker 4: Bill Bill Belichick starting a family at age seventy two.
Speaker 15: I mean, come on, now, well, she wants a family. She's only like twenty four, and she's in her prime, shall we say, and she wants children. And right now she has about eight to ten million dollars of property transferred from Belichick to her name. She has three or four different LLCs where she's the majority share owner and Bill Belichick is supposed to provide content. Did the HBO thing that was canceled because things are growing so bad? North Carolina officials said, we don't want any more cameras inside this locker. We got enough problems winning on the field against PCU and against California. The Golden Bear stink, and so they canceled that. But Jason, you're in sports and so many other things. Have you seen an icon fall from heights to depth in such a quick fashion? That would be impossible for a Bill Parcells or for a Don Shula, impossible for that to happen, But it's happened to Belichick. Why is he doing this? What's he getting out of this relationship?
Speaker 1: I've wondered this.
Speaker 4: I've wondered a lot about this because I listened to your show every day and that's all you talk about. And so it's made me ponder it quite a bit. And I I mean, I guess the one thought I have I probably can't share on air, but that would be my only thought on I otherwise, like is what are you doing?
Speaker 1: What do I talk about?
Speaker 15: Well? Right, what relationship?
Speaker 9: William?
Speaker 2: You and I?
Speaker 1: You and I have talked about it off the year, and Rocky and I have as well. It's like, you know, your legacy was secure. You're going to go down, if if not the greatest, certainly top five greatest football coaches of all time. And now all people are going to talk about is remember that old guy that hooked up with a twenty four year old that does.
Speaker 4: The UNC Yeah, go ahead, go ahead, Willie.
Speaker 15: Program fifty million? And can you imagine Vince Lombardi or Don Shula or I don't know any of Paul Brown at the Paul Brown in his prime, the father of football at East in Ohio, Ohio State Cleveland brown Sins night Bangles. Can you mention Paul Brown when he was like seventy five years old, cooking up with a twenty five year old and talking about having children.
Speaker 4: I mean, what I mean, think about those to me, I'm good.
Speaker 15: I'm plumb e spot. I don't know where to turn for answers. I want answers, and I don't see any. I don't see answers to any of this because by the time you're in your seventies, Arlie said, the all the in and the out it is not that important anymore. So what's he getting out of it?
Speaker 4: Well, I mean you mentioned those guys, and you think that you think about those guys. Those guys are iconic as well, not just because of their football success, but you thought of them as like kind of men, you know, like in every sense of the world. You know, some of them were you know, Paul Brown was a gentleman, but you thought of them as like, you know, gentlemen and men and who were revered and like you throw this on here, like Belichick I think probably would have thought that of him too, right until this all happened, right, kind of a stick of the mud personality wise, but like you're like, from just a football COMMI Spence alone, You're like, cool, there's a man. There's an iconic right there, figure in our football American football history.
Speaker 9: And now you know.
Speaker 15: When you had Nick Saban getting together, Nick Saban getting the other Bill Belichick. You know, the greatest college football coach of all time. I think it's Nick Saban between LSU and Alabama, whether it comes back or not, the greatest. And then you got Bill Belichick. They did things together, they went to events together. You said, this is the two greatest coaches of all time, with all due respect to Vince Lombardi and Paul Brown. They well, Paul Brown did win something in the range of ten American Football League championships with Otto Graham, but that wasn't when football was football. It's not the same today when football flourished. I'm thinking Nick Saban the greatest of all time, and it's real Belichick. I can't conceive of Nick Saban doing any of this stuff. I can't conceive of that happening. Nick say, I don't think he's married to a nice girl from West Virginia.
Speaker 24: And Belichick was married to an oil heiress from a hess Oil that was his fiance girlfriend for ten years, a wonderful woman twenty five years younger.
Speaker 15: But what the hell? That's almost the same generation in one or two, but not three generations. And to ruin your legacy on something like this. Yeah, I don't get it. Old enough to be his daughter, hell's old enough to be his great granddaughter. How in the hell does that happen?
Speaker 1: That's what gets me. And I go back to what I said before of being just totally tearing down your legacy over something like this. I mean, what old guy doesn't want the attention of a beautiful young woman. But at the same time, you gotta look at yourself in a mirror and go, why, gee, I wonder why she likes me. It's pretty freaking obvious, dude, And I wonder why he likes her?
Speaker 2: Right?
Speaker 15: A little quick story. I don't know if justice showed you once told I'll tell the story about two weeks ago.
Speaker 1: To go ahead, because I gave the like the five second version of it. I said, I never got it straight. But do tell.
Speaker 15: He's at a wedding with Tanyo O'Rourke. It was a high end affair. One of Joe Dieters's relatives, cousin, nephew whatever, is getting married and the bride was a good friend of Jordan Hudson. And I said, you got to be kidding me that the bride was age appropriate, like in her twenties, and this is one of Joe Dieters's distant relatives. But Tanya wanted to ow and okay, we'll drive to North Carolina and then walks Jordan Hudson to the wedding and they got pictures and them together with Jordan Hudson and Justice Shows said you could not find a nicer, kinder person than Jordan Judgin. Now Belichick wasn't there. It was on a weekend. He was getting beat I think by California the Golden Bears that it was like two weekends ago. But he said she was wonderful and friendly, took pictures with everyone. Jordan Hudson was the star of the wedding and she wasn't the bride, and he couldn't speak more highly of her. How about that one? Yeah, I got pictures of Joe Dieters with Jordan Hudson.
Speaker 4: And what's gotten into the old tough prosecutor, you know he's gotten It's got a little softer, a little a little star struck, a little starstruck.
Speaker 15: Yeah, so back he and Joe wanted to get pictures with Jordan Hudson. Well, I would Eddie if you were in an outing with her. Wouldn't you get pictures with her?
Speaker 3: Oh?
Speaker 1: Absolutely I would, but absolutely So here you're saying that Joe has no pictures of him with her.
Speaker 15: I say, well, he didn't want to show him to me, but he said he's he didn't wanted to get out, you know.
Speaker 8: Me.
Speaker 1: Getting kidding me.
Speaker 15: It's on my ext account. And he said she couldn't have been a nicer person, couldn't. I say, well, i'd be nice too.
Speaker 1: You're very attractive too, though. Well, you know, if I was a twenty five year old multi I'm multi millionaire, I'd be a pretty nice person too.
Speaker 15: He's a wonderful person. But I'm thinking this is not going to end well at some point either. Bill Belichick's children, who, by the way, in their forties and fifties. He's got two of them, and I think he has grandchildren. We are going to say, Dad, what the hell are you thinking about? What are you doing here?
Speaker 3: Yeah?
Speaker 1: I would assume they'd probably already have done that. Well with that, you know, we will let you go get back to your golf game, or get back to your your early afternoon like dinner thing you're probably doing sitting.
Speaker 15: I'm at my double wide near near Naples, my double wide.
Speaker 1: All right, fun, best of the judge, thank you, Yeah there is it's yeah, just kills me. But yeah, and and he see, here's the deal. I've known Joe Dieters for a long time, yes, and basically I think maybe longer than I have Willie. But if you and he's smart enough to know, and I know he's smart enough to know that if he gave him pictures, Willie, pictures of him with Jordan Hudson, he would never hear the end of now never. With that, we head to traffic and weather. What's going on.
Speaker 6: From the UC Health Traffic Center Mammogram Saved Lives called five Wins three five eighty four pink. Schedule your annual mammogram with you see Health Expert Team five Wine three five eighty four pink. On seventy four, we're watching the Lake's eastpun a ride bolt as a breakdown is reported on the left shoulder, waiting on a tow truck to get that out of the way in four seventy one north bound the ramp from southbound seventy one and it's a breakdown. Freeman agast to crash. We do have heavier pockets at traffic seventy five south. I'm from Ronald Reagan Highway down to Norwood Lateral. That construction project in place for a while longer. Also southbound seventy five from that ron Shepherd to Panic is about a ten minute trip. And on seventy five south from the vinduct to the Branch Bench we're stopping go and then seventy one northbound Ridge to Ronald Reagan Cross County Highway. It's about a ten minute drive by ricks Rempane's radio seven hundred WDLW.
Speaker 1: The forecast from a seven hundred WLW weather Center forward and I partly cloudy and then clear towards morning. The low of thirty seven for tomorrow, sunshine and the high of fifty seven. We're talking about a frost advisory for tomorrow night on end of Friday morning. We'll talk about that tomorrow, but right now it is fifty four degrees seven hundred.
Speaker 7: W l W.
Speaker 8: All right, mister Penny, I'm going to say a word, and you tell me the first thing that pops into your mind.
Speaker 1: Got you doc comfortable.
Speaker 9: Scott's loan desirable, Scott's loan.
Speaker 8: You cannot say Scott's vone brief time.
Speaker 9: That all right, all right, I won't goodhod.
Speaker 8: The word is charming a monkey, but that's good.
Speaker 9: It a monkey in the jungle. Listening to Scott's.
Speaker 11: Loan, Scott's Loan, you may become obsessed.
Speaker 12: Join me Scott Sloan tomorrow morning at nine o'clock on seven hundred WL.
Speaker 10: Monkey listening to Scott Sloan, you're telling me they don't. This report is sponsored by Staples. Your local Staples has hot deals and super low prices throughout the store on everything for your business. And right now with Staples, save up the one hendred twenty five dollars.
Speaker 1: All right, back here on the Eddie and Rocky Show a little while longer rock out today. Jason Williams from the Inquire since Nay dot Com is with me. But before we get on out of here, let's talk about this government short shutdown in week three now, and Ben Siegel, the ABC News to a Deputy political director, is with us. So, Ben, are we seeing any movement on this stuff at all?
Speaker 25: We're seeing a lot of movements, but not a lot of motion towards resolving the government shutdown. We're seeing Republicans senators at the White House today with President Trump, they seem pretty dug in. They say this is Democrats that have to come to the table. Democrats are seeing pretty satisfied with what's happening. They're encouraged by these protests over the weekend, these anti Trump protests, and say that they think public opinion is on their side. So both sides are still really dug in. As we approach a lot of interesting dates on the calendar where you could see a deal coming together, but again we're still a ways off from that.
Speaker 1: You'll kind of take off some of those dates for us if you would.
Speaker 25: Well, if you go back to the beginning, Democrats launched this whole fight over government funding because they wanted to protect subsidies for Obamacare for healthcare plans purchased on these marketplaces in the states. Well, open enrollment to sign up for those for those plans starts on November first, so in many places now it's too late for those subsidies to take effect. They're going to expire at the end of this year and not carry into next year, So the sticker shock for health insurance is already going to start hitting Americans. Democrats believe that voters will punish Republicans and blame them for this increase. So in a way, the political incentives have disappeared a bit after November one. So that's the first date. The second date is November twenty first. That's important because the deal on the table right now for Congress is a short term stop gap bill to fund the government for seven weeks. The seven weeks end on November twenty first, So once we get past that date, Speaker Mike Johnson is going to have to bring Republicans back to Washington at some point in order to pass something because the deal on the table will no longer be valid. And then the third date is one we circle every year on all of our calendars, which is Thanksgiving and all the holiday travel that comes with that. We're seeing some strain already by air traffic controllers having to work without pay, and that is a very critical time of the year, and now the party wants to be holding the political hot potato when more air traffic controllers fall and sick because of family issues in this very important stretch of the year as they're forced to work without pay. So those are just three dates in November to keep an eye on.
Speaker 1: And Ben, what about what you're talking about the air controllers, How about the TSA guys? Is that does that come into play?
Speaker 25: It's the same thing. They're all being forced to work without pay.
Speaker 3: Right now.
Speaker 25: It's possible that Trump administration is trying to, you know, find ways to pay people by moving money around, take it from one pot and put it in the other pot. But that's just the band aid of you know, questionable legality. That's not a long term fix. That doesn't solve the shutdown. So it may stop the fighting for a little while, but you know, big picture, this is is a battle that's still going on, and neither side appears to be willing to come to the table.
Speaker 1: All right, Well, Ben, all we can do is kick back and watch these guys do nothing. Really appreciate I had better news for you, I know, so do I Zota's everyone, Ben, thanks so much? Thanks and yeah, Ben SI good good stuff the shut down. As we talked to Steve Cotton earlier, this is fun stuff, isn't it. But sure it's about to get real, isn't it. Yeah? Well apparently, but Jason, other news, Yes, Oh, we have other other fish to fry, or other wings to fry. This happened in uh in Texas. According to court papers filed just the other day, a Travis County jail official was monitoring an inmate's phone calls on an unrelated incident. He must have been trying to get some drug, smogot in or something when the man told a relative that quote a correct corrections officer had provided him with chicken wings after he sent the officer money on a cash app So so, so a cop is taking money under the table to get to smuggle this guy's some wing.
Speaker 4: That's what the phone calls were him smuggling wings. Yeah, you know what not the.
Speaker 1: Guy in jo he was also trying to get some crack or so. But they all through that. They discovered that he was also having this a cop smuggle him some wings.
Speaker 4: Someone say, chicken wings are like crack.
Speaker 1: Oh big time. Specifically, the inmates said that the officer had agreed to supply him with Hobin Yiro mango chicken wings from wingstop and return for fifty dollars. My man was craving some wings.
Speaker 4: Yes, he was fifty dollars. Hopefully he got a lot of them.
Speaker 1: A subsequent review of jail surveillance video showed a food delivery arriving at the Travis County Correctional Complex in suburban Austin. After the paperbag was run through an X ray scanner. Amos Uh not Away twenty five picks up the bag and eats some of the wings himself. And this is that non Away guy who was just hired last year by the police department. Takes several wings from the bag, places them on paper towels, and hands them to an inmate, and the inmate walks away with the chicken wings and eats them. These guys, these guys are not master criminals. Bro, These aren't the guys that rob the louver.
Speaker 4: Would you imagine being the door dash or delivery person rolling up?
Speaker 1: Oh yeah, oh the corp finals don't identify the guamate blah blah blah investigator. I've attained a search warrant for a cash app added to determine the extent of nonaways involvement in bringing in contraband and to assist and identify other incidents. He was busted just the other day on a misdemeanor contraband charge, citing Texas Penal Code thirty eight point one one four and an arrest. Avid David notes that quote chicken wings are not provided for or or authorized to be provided to inmates. So now you know, if you go to the joint, ain't allowed no chicken wings.
Speaker 4: Let's hope for the safety of everyone in that prison. That's the only thing that he has smuggled in his chicken wings.
Speaker 1: Well, see, if you're gonna get busted for something, don't you want to You know that's not gonna look good for you as far as in the inmate population. No, it's not. Hey man, I got some weed. Oh yeah, I got a bottle of you know, rum, I got some wings from Wingstop Abernio Mango. What that's they're just gonna take out beach up on principle.
Speaker 4: At least, at least you have a little bit of have a little bit of street crowd and get the absolute hottest wings you can get, Bring the hottest wings you can bring in there.
Speaker 1: But I that's when you get a craven for wings man.
Speaker 4: Apparently you can't. You'll go to you'll go to great lengths to get him.
Speaker 1: And you're the confident agreed to do it for you. Oh yeah yeah. With that thought in mind, we had to traffic and weather.
Speaker 8: What is going on