Speaker 1: And now an exclusive interview with David Bassey for Dodger Talk.
Speaker 2: I know Miguel Rojas and Will Smith, they were heroes offensively and defensively, but without Max Munsey's home run earlier in that game to make it a one run game, there are no heroes for the Dodgers. So here is Max Munsey. We had a chance to catch up with him at Dodger Fest.
Speaker 1: All right.
Speaker 2: We are drawing right now by a man that has been to the World Series four times with the Dodgers. Max Munsey showed up in twenty eighteen, left his mark and now has become the all time home run king and Dodger postseason history, including one of the biggest home runs in Game seven of the World Series. Max Munsey, thank you for joining us. Great to see you, always good to be here with you. Oh three time World Series champion. Has time for the little people. I appreciate Save it.
Speaker 1: Save it. You've been out here all day with everyone else. All right.
Speaker 2: I know, Well, you like to make the grand the grand entrance. You know you're you're the guy at the party. You don't want to show up right on time. You want to be twenty minutes late. So everybody knows Max months he's at the party.
Speaker 1: That's false, that's fake, fake news. Dave.
Speaker 2: I know you just welcomed in your third child to the world. What's the off season been like for the Mounsie family coming off back to back World Series championships and having to deal with real life.
Speaker 3: It's been short, It's been hectic, It's been lovely, all the above. You know, a lot of emotions going through, and it's just, you know, it's it's it's been a little challenging trying to get ready for a season and then also you know, trying to be a dad at home newborn and you know, just trying to help out as much as I can and trying to make sure I'm getting healthy and you know, getting ready for the season, and it's just, uh, yeah, it's been like I said, short, hectic and crazy.
Speaker 2: I told Will Smith, I've been his spokesperson all off season because he's been in hibernation, but I also have been a Max Mounsey promoter that you're a home run.
Speaker 1: Without it, there is no Miguel.
Speaker 2: Rojas game tying home run, and certainly no Will Smith heroics in the eleventh inning. When you hit that home run and pulled the Dodgers within a run. Did you feel that was as big as it turned out to be?
Speaker 3: Well, I mean I've said multiple times like in the moment, for me, I just knew it guaranteed show hey, one more bat and we were it was only a one run def sit at that point, so I was like, Okay, we got a chance. But at the same time, it kind of just built a little bit more more more momentum for us, and you know, you started feeling that, and I think the whole team felt it, and you know, I know you keep saying my home run was big, but every single play in that Game seven was big, and you know, we don't win that World Series without every single guy on the roster.
Speaker 1: And it's just it's really cool to look.
Speaker 3: Back at that and understand that every single person played an important role in winning that World Series.
Speaker 1: It was a true team effort.
Speaker 2: So many guys could have checked out mentally, like Miguel Rojas, Andy Paters, justin Dean. What does that say about who you guys are in the culture the players have created that they remained engaged.
Speaker 1: It just means a lot.
Speaker 3: You know, it's real easy for some of those guys to check out, and they didn't.
Speaker 1: You know, they understood what was at stake.
Speaker 3: It wasn't about them, it was about the team, and you know, and that's how we've always been. And it really showed right there. You know, it really showed in that World Series that the guys were all about each other. They were willing to do anything for each other. And it's just special made it's so special. Obviously winning the World Series a special as it is, but you know, being able to do it the way we did it just felt it felt truly amazing.
Speaker 1: You've been really in tune with this city.
Speaker 2: The city loves you since you showed up and brist onto the scene in twenty eighteen. What's the reaction you've gotten from fans that you've come across or just.
Speaker 1: Through your wife.
Speaker 2: Do you realize how much this one meant to the city.
Speaker 3: You know, the thing you hear the most is not congratulations, it's thank you. You know, you hear that from the fans all the time. It's thank you, thank you for bringing a championship back to the city, thank you for bringing the Dodgers back to us, and you know, it just it just makes it so special and I talked about this when we got that first parade in twenty four that you know, when you're driving through the streets and you see everyone holding up pictures of grandparents or parents that aren't there anymore, just like these are who made me Dodger people, And that's when you start realizing that it's not just a team, it's a community, it's a family, it's an organization. You know, the whole city is built in on it, and it just it's it's truly been a blessing to be able to play for the Dodgers as long as I have, and it's definitely not something that I ever take for granted.
Speaker 2: Is it surreal for Max Moncy to look around the clubhouse after winning back to back championships with these group of teammates and look back on the same group or the group of players that you played with in twenty.
Speaker 1: Twenty and you know, leading up to.
Speaker 2: That championship, how the faces have changed, but the feeling and the winning commitment to winning hasn't.
Speaker 3: Well, you know, the faces haven't changed that much. There's been a lot of us that have been been around for a long time, and you know, it's just that's what makes it great. We've just had so many players here, a core group of guys, and uh, you know, unfortunately this year is gonna be without Kersh. But you know we're all chimly happy for him. But you know, he's the guy that's kind of started this whole culture for us. And I know he says it started before him, but you know, for me, he was always the guy that that led it.
Speaker 1: And you know he never let it with his words.
Speaker 3: He led it with how he competed and how he prepared and how he acted. And you know that's he just set the example that all a lot of us have tried to follow. And uh, you know it's gonna be hard to do it without him, but you know, I think we're up for the challenge.
Speaker 2: Feels good at number thirteen and Max months here are going to be back for the three p Thank you for stopping by, and uh, maybe we could just set the ground rules right now spring training. Should I ease into approaching you or do you feel like I should just dive in and hover around your locker day one?
Speaker 3: You know how Dave, I might I might give you time and day I might not give you time and day. You know when it comes to you. You just you always you're you just kind of float you know, Okay, you just kind of float around. And so maybe maybe i'll maybe I won't, might throw a comment your way.
Speaker 1: We'll see.
Speaker 2: I do have a lot of feel. That's the one thing people say about me. I have great feel.
Speaker 1: No one's ever said that about you. All Right, Munsey, thank you for stopping by. I love you. There he goes Max Munsey.
Speaker 2: I think people think he hates me, but it's a love hate relationship.
Speaker 1: Now it's all love, Dave, it's all love. Great to catch up with Max Munsey.
Speaker 2: So many of you have come up to me during the offseason and asked me, what's the deal with you?
Speaker 1: And Munsie?
Speaker 2: Does he really not like you? No, it's a great thing that we have going here. It's a sarcastic, kind of dry sense of monthsy humor that he throws at me. And I'm so grateful because Munsey has been very inclusive and always gives insightful, thoughtful answers and is a lot more honest with his answers than most players. And I love that about him, and I think that's why those of us that cover the Dodgers go to Max months when we have questions, because he is going to give you an honest answer, and if he doesn't feel like he should answer that certain question, he's not going to give you some generic answer. He's just going to pass on answering that question. So love having Max Munsey on the show. Can't wait to see him out there in spring training. And in case you missed any of our interviews from FanFest, you can find it on the iHeartRadio app Dodger Talk. Preset it number one and you can find all those interviews