Speaker 1: And an exclusive interview with David Bassey for Dodger Talking, Well, the best part of Dave Roberts road trip is right now, presented by Downey Hyundai. We're in the manager's office at City Field, Dave Man, what a great bonding experience it's been with you and me for ten days.
Speaker 2: It's been great, Dave.
Speaker 3: You know, best part of my trip is this, you know, once a week conversation that you and I have And no all kidding aside. It's been a long trip, certainly with the All Star Game, but it's been a very productive trip. And you know, here we are Game two here in City Field, so we got Yamamoto going so excited to get this one going.
Speaker 1: Just to put it into context, to fully appreciate what you guys pulled off in the last forty eight to seventy two hours. Three cities within forty eight hours, and you come to City Field against a Mets team that's going to give you their best shot and you pull off a win. How impress and proud are you of your guys to come out and show up the way they did last night?
Speaker 3: Really really proud obviously, you know, having to take the trip to DC a lot of guys, so that was our off day and to come back late at night to then play the way we did last night to get a win, and obviously Rookie was fantastic, But you know, it's one of those things where you know, starting the break and the Yankees are trying to give us, are giving us their best, the Philly same and to win two series there and then you know, the Mets haven't played up to their capabilities, but they're still going to go out there and give us their best, and we got their best starter going tonight, so we got our work, you know, our hands full tonight. But yeah, for the way we've played, and it seems like every night there's somebody else that steps up and helps lead us to a victory.
Speaker 2: So that's been fun to watch for you.
Speaker 1: And having Yamamoto on the mound tonight. What do you believe he has done to take his game to the next level after coming off a World Series MVP, a cy young A finalist, how has he gotten better this year?
Speaker 3: I think if I could say one thing, I would probably say his efficiency. I think that you know, there's pitchers in our league that can be good for five innings, but they don't have enough bullets left to go six, or they're good for six and don't have enough bullets to go into the seventh inning. But I think Yamamoto has done a much better job of these last couple of years about being efficient and given himself a chance to get into that seventh inning.
Speaker 1: Dave, the one thing I've heard about Yamamoto this year is that he has become better prepared, studying the hitters, understanding what he can do against certain guys, and that has given him a lot more conviction on the mound. Do you feel like that has led to his dominance this season?
Speaker 2: I do? I do.
Speaker 3: I think in the first couple of years it was more of that trustful.
Speaker 2: And not knowing the league, not knowing the.
Speaker 3: Hitters, and trying to depend on the catchers and the coaches. But you know, as he's had more at bats with guys, then he can kind of get his own, you know, thoughts, and then you layer that in with the game planning, and then it's really more concrete. So I do think that the experience that he's had in our league is made them even better.
Speaker 2: Where do you believe this came from?
Speaker 1: Because he did some studying and he rationalized that if he can save one pitch per inning, that'll save him ten pitches in a complete start, and his last time out he only threw one hundred and two pitches in a complete game.
Speaker 3: Well that's kind of where I was going to a couple questions ago, where it's like, it just seems now he's always given me, you know, the opportunity to push him later in the game, and you know, before it just wasn't efficient. And I think that he's smart enough to realize that, you know, there's you know, a dozen pitches that a starting pitcher waste every single start, and if you can kind of cut those back, that's another inning on the back end.
Speaker 2: So he's done a great job in that.
Speaker 1: Is it fair to compare him that he may be? Obviously these two guys are Hall of famers, But is he a mixture of Greg Maddicks and Pedro Martinez? Do you see those characteristics?
Speaker 3: I see both in different ways. I think I see the command, the studying with Greg Maddox. I see the different pitches that Pedro had the killer, but Greg was a killer as well. Yeah, you know, it's like there's a there's a little bit of bulldog some orhearsh eyes that there's a little bit of John Smolts with the command.
Speaker 2: You know, he's you know, there's.
Speaker 3: A lot of great pitchers that he's got a lot of those character traits.
Speaker 1: Manager Dave Roberts is our guest. It's the Manager's Meeting presented by Downey Hyundai. All Right, when you look at your team, you start to get some players back, Dave, And when the Dodgers return home, key K Hernandez was pretty confident that he'll be back with the team. Do you feel like on the upcoming homestand Edwin Diaz and key K will add even more talent to your roster.
Speaker 3: I think right now very confident. Key K's playing through the weekend with his OKAC team and the expectations he'll be back with us on Tuesday. And the expectation with Edwin is he's going to throw tomorrow and then he'll be back available with us on Wednesday night. So yeah, we're starting to become whole. And you know, Blake Snell just do last night. So he'll pitch next week for four innings and then you know, hopefully shortly after that, you know he'll be back, you know, coming back to us as.
Speaker 1: Well, and with those guys that have missed the majority of the season, do you think adding those guys helps the guys that have been grinding all season long, gives them a little extra something.
Speaker 3: I think, so, you know, it's kind of a you know, recharges us. And I think that you saw that a little bit with Key K when he came back and he gave us a shot in the arm and then he hurt the oblique. But you know, that's what he's going to do. And obviously, when you get your closer back, that's going to do a lot for the bullpen. And when you get a guy like Blake Snow who's won two cy Youngs, that's certainly going to make your rotation your team much better as well.
Speaker 1: Earlier on this road trip, I got to go back in time with some of the things that have stood out to me, and the last game of the series in Philadelphia, managers don't usually go out to exchange lineup cards, but you and Don Mattingly went out there to exchange lineup cards. In Philadelphia, two umpires that have been in the league a long time, Brian Anorra and Las Dias. It's their final season A, was that the reason why you went out there? And B what did that mean for you to you know, just salute those guys.
Speaker 2: Yeah, so it was kind of organic.
Speaker 3: I go out there every first game of every series, That's kind of what I do, and then this one I went out for the first and then the last one. I just wanted to send those guys off. I know we'll see Laz again, and I think Brian is going to get some type of procedure done, so I think that that was going to be his last game, you know, first career. So I think that Donnie knew that as well. So it was great for us to you know, send them off. And you know, umpires are scrutinized every single night, just like managers are, and they do a great job.
Speaker 2: They do the best they can.
Speaker 3: So you know, for two guys that have done it for as long as they have, I got nothing but respect for him.
Speaker 1: I've seen you before have interactions with certain umpires. Dan Bellino seems to be a very friendly Dave Roberts type of umpire as much as you can be.
Speaker 3: Yeah, you know what, Dan and I we've had our you know, we've had our battles, but he's softened. I have nothing but love and respect for him. But I have fun with the umpires, and like I said, they do the best they can, but we definitely throw our barbs, you know, in jes tongue in cheek.
Speaker 2: Have a lot of fun with those guys.
Speaker 1: All right, before I let you go, we're talking about umpires. We are almost at the end of the regular season here, almost into August. How do you believe the abs challenging has worked out so far for the teams but also for the umpires.
Speaker 3: Well, I think in total, I think for the game it's been great. I think I can't speak to the teams. I can speak to our team where I think that there's opportunities to get better and pick times of the right times, the leverage times to do it.
Speaker 2: But I think that and I think that it's been good for the umpires.
Speaker 3: I think that no one likes to be embarrassed, and you know, when you have the opportunity to potentially challenge, it does make their focus a little bit more heightened and that's good for the game. And it's no you know, I'm not trying to bang or knock empires, but I do think so overall, nets.
Speaker 2: It's a huge win for us, and.
Speaker 1: It also proves that they're pretty good at their job.
Speaker 3: They are, they are, and I think that's something it's hard to kind of appreciate.
Speaker 2: You know.
Speaker 3: We're talking about ninety three ninety four month hours, sliders, cutters and one hundred and five mile an hour fastballs that certain guys are throwing up there. It's like, and now you're talking about missing a half an inch an inch and it ain't easy. But like I said, they're doing the best they can. They do a pretty good.
Speaker 1: Job, all right, Dave, thanks a lot for the time. I've had a great time in joining the East Coast with you, and we'll have a happy flight home tomorrow.
Speaker 2: Let's do it, Dave,