Speaker 1: All right, it is Mojo in the morning, Mojo and Shannon. We've got keV and Lydia and Bianca and Zach, all of us here, Mike with us on Fridays, Daniel and Charlie during the week working hard in the background here and making sure everything's good on our stations and Grand Rapids and Toledo and of course all the great people the staff here. It's a sales day here at the station, So sales day. We got the sales department. You chosen, Shannon. This is an interesting one because when I read your topic about this, when you sent your topics in last night, I read your topic about this, and I thought to myself, I'm like, I wonder if people are doing this purposely.
Speaker 2: But also it would be tough to be a woman or.
Speaker 1: You know what, I should just send it right there and then I'll actually be in good graces with my wife. It would be tough to be a woman and go through a divorce and then figure out how to like changing your name back and all that stuff, which is interesting because some people never change their name, Like some people will just keep the same name.
Speaker 2: Whatever they got. Yeah, sit, you don't want me, you don't want this name.
Speaker 3: I feel kind of rude in what I'm having to do lately, and normally this would not bother me. I just feel like, I don't know, blame it on the irritability that comes with good old Perry muna pause, but it is starting to get on my nerves that that people are still using my ex husband's last name for my last name, which I had for a good junk of time. But I've been remarried now for almost two years, and so when I still see it on people's like phone contacts for me or like it just happened in an email. Somebody here at work did it. I can't tell you how many holiday cards I got this year, including from former in laws of mine, that had my old last name on them, And I'm like, okay.
Speaker 1: I know the actual Like the postage that that that your former and law said with their Christmas card to you said Shannon and your married name.
Speaker 3: Yeah, my first married name. I've been married twice if you're new to the show, Okay, and I've been married and now.
Speaker 4: I've been in a second marriage for almost two years. And so it's like like the person who.
Speaker 3: Did it here at work, I was like, hey, I just wrote back, can you please change to Shannon Whitlam, which is my new last, you know, legal name, but like other people, it's I just feel kind of like weird if I send a text and be like, hey, I noticed I got a Christmas card from US yer, can you once change my name? I don't know why, it's like it feels weird to me, but also it's like, I don't know, I can't just expect people to know to change it.
Speaker 4: But when even in people the phone context, one drives me nutty too.
Speaker 2: Okay, so here, what do you have me as? Ready?
Speaker 3: But you could probably have me You could have me as Shannon Murphy and yeah, but on the air that legitimately is my maiden name.
Speaker 2: You know what you need to do.
Speaker 3: I'm totally fine with Murphy. I just don't want to use my ex husbands last name anymore.
Speaker 5: I am more understanding if you weren't remarried, like you're very publicly remarried. So I'm not understanding how they.
Speaker 4: Don't understand bug me.
Speaker 1: I will only change a person's contact name in my phone if they send me one of those things in the iPhone where you push it and it will change that thing for you. Otherwise, I'm not changing your your contact name like I'm You're always going to be that to me, whatever the deal is, even if you get married. Like I've got friends like my other Shannon friend, Yeah, which is Shannon the radio friend.
Speaker 2: I don't even know what her married name is, and.
Speaker 1: I still have her listed as Shannon and her maiden name files too, like I with you. I asked this question because I have a buddy of mine who's divorced and his he has no kids with his ex wife. It's this it's his second it was his second marriage and her second marriage, and she refuses to change her name from his name because she claims it is such a pain in the ass to change all the stuff. And he claims he comes from a very you know, good family, like a prominent family, and he thinks that she's doing it on purpose because her kids' names are the first dad's name.
Speaker 2: So's if you.
Speaker 4: Which is which is Yah? Which is my situation as.
Speaker 2: Well, exactly.
Speaker 1: But it's funny because she changed that name right away to his name because when she married him, his you know, family was kind of a well known family and is a well known family in the Detroit area. Ye, so he actually goes. He goes, Yeah, she will not change the name, and he says the reason he doesn't is because when she makes reservations at places, everybody all thinks like if she goes and makes a reservation at Capitol, Guerrilla or whatever, Yeah, they all all know the family, so they're like, yes, we got a table for you. Yeah, which you're By the way, your ex has a very prominent name. I would like to change my name to his name. Would he be okay with Mojo and then his last name?
Speaker 3: For the preservations are funny because I feel like if I use Shannon Murphy, that's me being like, you know, Shannon from Mojo in the Morning.
Speaker 4: So I don't like doing that.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 1: Hey, somebody asked me the other day in radio why I never changed my name legally to Mojo, And I said, because my dad would never forgive me, like it was a nickname and it was one of those things wherever. But I'm like, if I changed my name, my dad would never forgive me. But they said, wouldn't it be easier because there's another couple of radio people that used to work here in Detroit that legally changed their names. Really yeah, is that all I don't know. I will not call you by your maiden name. I will call you yes.
Speaker 3: No, you could call me by my name. My maiden name is cool. My my married right now name is cool. It's just like my ex husband's.
Speaker 2: Last name is omen.
Speaker 4: People, I never came to my wedding.
Speaker 1: I never changed your name from Murphy. Do you think I'm the reason?
Speaker 2: Why?
Speaker 4: No, because that's the name I use here on the show.
Speaker 3: No, I know, but I never You're lazy with And I think that's probably what it was for holiday cards too, is people have their minted list or shut or FLA or whatever, and they just click click click click click the same list from the year before and send it out.
Speaker 2: You know, nia, what's going on?
Speaker 3: Why?
Speaker 6: Yeah? So I got married, like I got married October twenty twenty four, and then I finally see my name like May twenty twenty five, and so it just gets really annoying when there's stuff that's still my maiden name, like like sometime I'll get mail and it still has my old name, or even the college I go to, Like they're so confused, Like some stuff says my main name, some things says.
Speaker 2: My new name.
Speaker 6: It's just really annoying. And also, my husband has a hyphena name, so everybody is always like mixing up with named those first and is this your middle name? And is the other one your last name?
Speaker 3: And it's just really annoying.
Speaker 2: Oh. I bet it's got to be tough.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and when the hyphenated names in North's got to make it very Yeah.
Speaker 2: What's up, Scott? Are you doing?
Speaker 7: Hello?
Speaker 2: What's happening?
Speaker 7: Are you talking with me?
Speaker 2: That you? Are you Scott right? Oh? Sorry, yeah, I'm Scott.
Speaker 7: Sorry.
Speaker 2: I didn't hear you. I didn't know if I scarbed your name? What's going on?
Speaker 6: Yeah?
Speaker 7: So, you know, like when I was growing up, a lot of people still mailed my mom stuff with my last name because she remarried, but the kids still have my last name, so it just probably felt more comfortable thinking that.
Speaker 2: Maybe, so we didn't think anything.
Speaker 7: Because my stepdad wanted not me, but he didn't, so I still had my dad's last name.
Speaker 1: Oh wow, that's an interesting thing for kids, you know, uh, with the idea of changing your name, uh in having a new you know, parent coming, especially if you're like Chelsea's. Chelsea was adopted by her dad, who is now her dad, but he's not the biological and they changed the name right away. And I said to Chelsea, I go your dad ever bother you that they changed the name, and she was like, no, I didn't want my dad's name, so she wanted you know, her conserve biological father was not part of her life.
Speaker 2: Is it weird when you go into.
Speaker 1: Your kid's school because your kids have their dad's name, Like when like do people call you missus?
Speaker 3: Yeah?
Speaker 4: I think it gets really confusing.
Speaker 3: Like if there's ever any anything, I'll write in parentheses like Lucy's mom or Smith's mom, just so that people.
Speaker 4: Are aware, they know what's going on.
Speaker 3: But like, this just happened to me the other day where someone was I was volunteering at Lucy's school and I said, oh, I'm here with Lucy and they're like, oh, yeah, I met her mom and I was like, no, no, no, I'm her mom. Oh because her stepmom now has her same last name, god you know. And Lucy goes, please tell me mom that you didn't say because I was no, I'm.
Speaker 2: Her mom, right? Yeah?
Speaker 1: Has it has it ever been where they called out the name and it was meant for you not to No, that hasn't happened.
Speaker 4: And let me make it very clear.
Speaker 3: I'm not saying this because I dislike my ex husband by any means. It's just I've been married now for two years, so I I want I want to use my my married my husband's last name.
Speaker 4: You know, it's it's confusing.
Speaker 1: Yeah, here's the deal. I would like naming rights. Uh. I would like you to be called Shannon from Mojo in the Morning, and that that's the legal thing. Hence, Kevin. You're a very proud guy. You got a lot of in you, you know. I like that. If you met a girl and the girl said, I ain't taken that last name Irwin, all right, that's that's a way of thinking.
Speaker 2: I don't care as long as you love me yourself whatever, you would bother the hell you're a liar.
Speaker 1: You met a girl and the girl said, I mean, we would have a conversation. I would like to identify why, and if our reasons were sound, then let's go.
Speaker 5: I frequently think about this because I'm like, the we only have girls in my family, and my sister's already married. So I'm like, my last name is it's Dunzo. Once I get married, so I would either keep mine or hyphenated.
Speaker 1: I think I wouldn't. I wouldn't even visit your family on Christmas? What are you talking about? It should be like, I'll give up my name right now. I don't want it to be known as that. What if you married Kevin and wanted Kevin, let's even say that, to take your last name ken.
Speaker 5: I don't even like how that sounds.
Speaker 1: I wonder if we should we should do this as another topic someday who didn't want to take their spouse's name because the name sucked?
Speaker 2: Like that would be a great well.
Speaker 3: Remember I just played you that story in The Dirty of the girl who's last name what was it? It was like crazy, Her last name was like Hyman, and then she got married to a guy whose last name was Cox.
Speaker 4: Remember there was something like that.
Speaker 5: Yeah, was.
Speaker 4: Getting the names wrong, but they were both just bad names.
Speaker 1: Was Hymen's anybody in the family named busta joke?