Speaker 1: The quest for the three peat has begun. Only four teams in Major League Baseball history have won three consecutive titles. The Dodgers are the favorites to become the fifth.
Speaker 2: This is World Champion Dodger Talk.
Speaker 1: Here we go again. We're running back to.
Speaker 2: Get in on the show called eight six six eighty seven two five seventy and be sure to follow Dodger.
Speaker 1: Talk wherever you get short podcasts. Here's your host, David Vase.
Speaker 3: Welcome the Dodger Talk. David Vasse with you until eleven thirty tonight here on AM five to seventy LA Sports. After the Dodgers beat the Brewers tonight by a final score of three to one, we have phone lines open at eight six six nine, eight seven two five seventy. Last night, Edwin Diaz was the lightning rod Well. Edwin Diaz found a way to get out of the jam in the ninth inning with the help of Tom Y Edmund and Keike Hernandez. And look, I was weighing all these different options that Dave Roberts had for tonight. If there was a save opportunity, Yeah, it could have been Tanner Scott. Yeah, you could use Jonathan Hernandez or Edgardo Enriquez. But you know, just talking through things with guys on the staff, this bullpen has been used a lot. There's not a lot of guys that you could really go to. And thankfully Blake Sneill pitched the way he pitched in his first game back, and thankfully Landon Knack and Eric Lower earlier on this homestand stayed away from some of these everyday relievers. And give credit to Evan Phillips and Tanner Scott for pitching scoreless seventh and eighth innings tonight to get the ball to Edwin Diaz. And look, I'm not going to act like this was a dominant performance from Edwin Diaz, but you can't forget this guy is still throwing upwards of ninety six ninety eight.
Speaker 1: He's coming back from arm.
Speaker 3: Surgery three months removed. As I mentioned in the Clubhouse show, it's one thing to try to rehab coming back from arm surgery. No matter how major or how minor it is, it's still arm surgery on your pitching arm. Whether it's loose bodies, whether it's a UCL, it's still a surgery. And Edwin Diaz is coming back from that in the middle of the season and being thrown into the fire and all of that is happening while the Dodgers are trying to secure one of the top two seeds in the National League and they're just one game back of the Brewers tonight with the win. But look, you gotta give Edwin Diaz credit for competing in what his last three outings. I know last night didn't look great. Key k a Hernandez, you're gonna hear from Edwin in just a moment again what he relayed to us that keyk Hernandez said to him when he went out to the mound really quickly. I mean, at least Key k Hernandez had the presence of mind to go to the mound to try to slow the game down or boost Diaz's confidence. It felt like the game was getting really fast on Diaz, and it was getting really fast on the Dodgers. It might have been worth a mount visit earlier in that ninth inning to slow things down, but luckily it happened later in the inning with the bases loaded and Dave Roberts trying to get his outfielders where he wanted them positioned, so he sent Mark Pryor out there to talk to Diaz. But I just think Tommy Edmund deserves a lot of credit because that ball hit by Luis Laura that he picked was at one hundred and five miles an hour. He almost had a double play, but he gathered himself and made an accurate throw to Key k Hernandez. And how about keyk Hernandez who got the start tonight at first base making a great short hop scoop on a throat that didn't have a lot of mustard on it from Mookie Betts to end the game. So it was a high wire rackt from start to finish in the ninth inning, But the Dodgers got it done, and Edwin Diaz got it done with some help from his friends, three to one.
Speaker 1: The final score.
Speaker 3: Here was Edwin Diaz and Tommy Y Edmond with us moments after the final out.
Speaker 4: Yeah, just you know, expecting the ball to be hit to me, you know, trying to turn two there really faster runner at the plate, So once I kind of bottled a little bit, you know, I just knew the play was at first base, but you know.
Speaker 2: Just trying to do everything I could to keep in the infield.
Speaker 1: How big was it for Edwin to find a way out of that tonight?
Speaker 2: Yeah, that was huge. You know, it was so big to win that game.
Speaker 4: You know, a tough one last night, but you know, it was a big series for us, so to take a tight game like that was huge.
Speaker 3: How good did it feel, not only to Homer but to Homer at home?
Speaker 2: Yeah it felt great, you know, really good.
Speaker 4: I've been grinding a little bit, but you know, I'd been putting in the work and makes those swings feel that much sweeter.
Speaker 1: It's gotta be gratifying the way you play tonight to help the team win against the Brewers. I know you like to downplay things, Tommy Edmond, but I'm here to bang the drum. He's got the trumpets. I got the Edmund drums.
Speaker 2: Yeah, there we go.
Speaker 4: And that was a fun series. It's a great team, so it's always fun to win games like that.
Speaker 1: Makes a lot for stopping.
Speaker 2: Yeah, you got it anytime.
Speaker 3: Hey, there he goes, Tommy Edmond, my player of the game, that's for sure.
Speaker 1: Saves the ninth inning.
Speaker 3: Homers tonight has two hits and the Dodgers defeat the Brewers three to one with Sugar Das delivering in the ninth inning. Hey, gotta silence the critics once in a while, right sugar.
Speaker 2: Yeah, you know we we throw straight right now. Well, this is no foreward. I'm ready.
Speaker 5: You know.
Speaker 2: I worked in every single day with a pitching coaches. You know, soon we clicked, we would be fine. So today, what's I goday for me?
Speaker 6: God?
Speaker 2: From yesterday I learned a lot on today. I did my job, got decide.
Speaker 6: For the team.
Speaker 1: Love it? What a key k tell you?
Speaker 7: You know, keep going, You're the best beach in the wharf.
Speaker 1: Keep going.
Speaker 2: We got you on you know away me.
Speaker 1: Hey, your teammates got you. Tommy Edmon got you. Key k Hernandez got you. La has got you.
Speaker 3: Thank you for stopping than Hey, how about Edwin Diaz relaying to us what Key k Hernandez told him. And look, he's not giving in and the Dodgers need Edwin Diaz h So you know Dave Roberts is going to put him out there in the ninth inning because he believes that's the best way to get Edwin Diaz back on track. He doesn't believe bringing Edwin Diaz in in the seventh inning, where the sixth inning is going to help him keep his confidence up or even try to duplicate what he needs to do in the ninth inning. And Dave Roberts mentioned earlier in the night that Edwin Diaz has been working mechanics with the pitching coaches earlier today, the strength coaches are trying to get him back on track as well. So there's a lot of resources pouring in to Edwin Diaz to get him back to where he was last year and where he's been the majority of his career.
Speaker 1: And look, the.
Speaker 3: Dodgers need like I mentioned last last night, the Dodgers need him because they don't really have a high leverage right handed reliever and they need Edwin Diaz. You got Edwin Diaz closing the game in the ninth inning. It makes everything else work backwards. It's a lot easier to count out's backwards when you have a closer like Edwin Diaz, when he's pitching like Edwin Diaz, and they're going to keep running them out there. Not to mention he's got the freshest arm of any of those guys in the bullpen because he missed three months with that with that arm surgery. The loose bodies being removed from his tricep area. Tonight's game brought to you by Modello Modello the mark of a Fighter. Eight six six two five seventy is the phone number before we go out to the phones. Just a quick highlight spotlight on Andy Pajez, who had a big game tonight, three hits including a home run. He stole a big bass to score a run course twice tonight, and he certainly had a big game as well. Eight six six nine eight seven two five seventy is the phone number. Dodger Talk rolling all the way to eleven thirty tonight, so we got phone lines open. You were so fired up last night, so convicted that Tanner Scott needed to close the games.
Speaker 1: For the Dodgers.
Speaker 3: Moving forward, Tanner Scott put up a zero in the eighth inning. Evan Phillips put up a zero in the seventh inning tonight. Let's go out to Emily, who is at Dodger Stadium for Kershaw Bobblehead night. Hi Emily, you're on Dodger Talk.
Speaker 5: Hi David, thanks for taking my call. Yeah, I agree with everything you're saying. Can't offer much of a unique perspective there, You know, it was definitely, the nerves were palpable in the ninth inning, but you can tell that Diaz is, you know, working really hard, and I appreciate that. But really what I wanted to call in about was about Kershaw, and it was so great to see him and his family there at Dodger Stadium. You know, he's just he's been a contant in all our lives so long, and I just hope for the rest of his life he gets all the love from Dodger fans. And I also wanted to say, you know, a lot of people think of him as a Hall of Fame pitcher, but I think of him as a hitter because I was actually there in twenty thirteen on Opening Day when he hit the only run of the game, and it was so special, and I just wanted to bring that up and keep that memory alive. I know that you've talked about that a lot on the show, and especially you know now that pictures don't hit. It just seems crazy, and it's just it's going to be a special memory and will probably make me feel very old one day to remember that.
Speaker 3: Hey, that's that's one of my favorite Krusehaw moments, not only because he hit that home run in a scoreless tie laid in the game on opening Day, but also it was against the Giants, so that made it even sweeter.
Speaker 5: Right, Emily, Yes, definitely, all right.
Speaker 3: Thanks a lot for the phone call, Emily. And it was at that time the defending world champion Giants, and twenty thirteen marked this era of Dodger baseball which has never looked back. So hopefully they keep moving it forward with a three peat this season. Let's go out to Skip, who was at the ballpark tonight's Skip? Were you booing or were you cheering? Edwin Diaz in the ninth inning?
Speaker 8: Was up?
Speaker 2: Dave, you're a big fan man.
Speaker 9: Well, first of all, seeing Kersha.
Speaker 7: Out there get me all again, you know, seeing him on the field, it was awesome. I love seeing.
Speaker 10: Kersh out there.
Speaker 11: Edwin He's gonna figure it out.
Speaker 1: But Kyle Tucker, all right, thank you so much. Skip.
Speaker 3: I appreciate it starting to go that way, Colin, can you dump it please?
Speaker 1: That was not appropriate.
Speaker 3: What he was trying to say was, Kyle Tucker has not performed well in a very surfer You know, we're not at Shellbacks all right down to the South Bay. We're doing the show here. Okay, we got the message. Wow, Colin, did we get that? Okay, let's go out to Daniel. So y'all heard that. You know what he was trying to say there he thought he was at shellbacks. Hi, Dan, Daniel, you're on Dodger Talk. I guess I'm not gonna pretend that you didn't hear that, Danielle.
Speaker 1: I guess ear muffs for you and everybody else out there.
Speaker 12: You know what, it was a great game. We were there at the game tonight, and you know, Piaz is just he's been awesome. It's just awesome to see him play.
Speaker 13: What a great player man.
Speaker 12: He was just he you know, he was just consistent. He's one of our best players. And I just think he's he's gonna he's gonna do phenomenal. He's taking us into the playoffs. I think he's just great. I just want to give a shout out to Piaz and I appreciate all he does for the team. He's just so consistent, and shout out to you know, all the rest of the team. Mookie Betts, you know, rookie's kind of heating up again. So it's exciting to see Moki getting his stry Back.
Speaker 1: Yeah, no doubt, no doubt.
Speaker 3: I mean, you know tonight was you know, not what it looked like a couple of nights ago.
Speaker 1: But that's baseball.
Speaker 3: But he has shown signs that he can help the Dodgers offensively down the stretch and hopefully he keeps it going. Thanks for the phone call, Daniel, appreciate it. Eight sixty six nine to eighty seven two five seventy is the phone number. Dodgers beat the Brewers tonight three to one with Dave Roberts going back to Edwin Dz Tonight in the ninth inning, it didn't start out well. He hit the first batter he faced, he got behind hitters, but he got good defense, great defense behind him from Tommy Edmond and keyk Hernandez, and somehow, some way found a way to get out of that ninth inning by not only saving the game but also not giving up a run.
Speaker 1: So it's a work in progress.
Speaker 3: But like I said, the Dodgers need Edwin Diaz, and you know it's he's a big part of this bullpen. You look at this bullpen. They need Edwin Diaz. There's no way around it. And right now it's similar to so Tanner Scott last year and his struggles for basically the entire year. Not only do the Dodgers need to find a way to get Diaz back on track, but if he can't get on track, now's the time to find out. It's not the time to find out in October. So right now is the time to find out. And that's why I wasn't ready to go all in with all of you to say get Diaz out of there. My only point was, if anybody's asking the rhetorical question, who else can I use? It's Tanner Scott, but a lot of you, and you know Tanner's had a good year, but is he really the answer for the ninth inning? That takes away from the other part of the game. Let's go out to Pomona. George, you're on Dodger Talk.
Speaker 10: How you doing, George, good Davy, thanks for taking my call.
Speaker 3: My pleasure. Let's keep it clean, George. We don't want ear muffs again.
Speaker 10: Oh no, no, we're gonna keep it clean. Thank you for calm down, keeping us in it, because yes, it's been dramatic in the ninth inning with Edwin Diaz. I'm calling with two ideas for high leverage. Ry Haan releevers.
Speaker 3: Okay, so we're talking the seventh inning or you talking about the ninth inning.
Speaker 10: I'm talking about the ninth inning, maybe not tomorrow but in the week to come. And I agree, I think we had to Doc had to send Edwin out there again. I'm glad it worked out this time. I agree with you. We need him. But looking ahead, what about the Saki.
Speaker 3: He's a starting picture right now, George. That's something for the postseason.
Speaker 10: I mean, is his first ninth inning appearance going to come in October?
Speaker 1: Or does it last year?
Speaker 3: It was last year, George, and he has experience with it, he understands it, so it's not brand new this year. It was brand new last year when he did really well. So you can't do that during the regular season.
Speaker 10: But what about the full rotation. I mean, we're overflowing with starting pitchers and glass now is on his way back. Who bounces out of the rotation when glass Now comes in? Could it be Sasaki? And in preparation for the office, it could be.
Speaker 3: It could, but maybe not until the last two weeks of the season, George. If sho he Otani comes back as well, you know the Dodgers may have him piggyback with lower lower piggyback Otani or Robleski goes to the bullpen and piggybacks because you know, it's just not going the same way that was going earlier for him. So there's a lot of different creative ways that you could use Lower and Robleski. When glass Noow comes back, and if shoe Hey Otani, who threw a bullpen session today, comes back into the rotation, he's gonna have to rehab in major league games like he did last year, and that's only going to be an inning or two the first couple of starts, and you're gonna need a robleskier Allower to follow him. So that's how I see that laying out. And look, I firmly believe that Roki Sasaki is gonna have a big part of the Dodgers pitching plans in October. If glass Now's healthy.
Speaker 1: I don't see how glass Now's not starting and Sasaki's coming out of the bullpen. Let's go out to Griffin, who is at the game tonight. Hi, Griffin, you're on Dodger Talk.
Speaker 13: How are we doing?
Speaker 3: We're doing good, Griffin. We got a little loose with it earlier tonight. So let's not let's not go Yankee doodles or shellbacks. Let's just keep it Dodger talk, clean, family, clean tonight.
Speaker 13: Yes, sir, I wanted to talk about k K Man.
Speaker 7: I mean, he's not at his regular position.
Speaker 6: He's playing first base.
Speaker 13: You know, definitely switch it for him as a pivotal move.
Speaker 8: When he made that pick at the very end of the game.
Speaker 3: It was huge that that throw did not have a lot of mustard on it, and I feel like the weird hop kind of maybe didn't allow Mookie to get a good grip on the baseball. But I mean, that's not Freddie Freeman at first base, who you know, is able to do a lot of different things. He's like the Hoover vacuum over there. But Key k he's a baseball player. And that's the best compliment you could give anybody. He's a baseball player. Put him at third base, put him in center field, put him at first base.
Speaker 1: He can do it.
Speaker 12: Yeah, I mean, and speaking of baseball players, Kyle Tucker Man.
Speaker 3: That guy, Hey, you're not gonna get it again, Griffin. Hey, Yeah, Kyle Tucker not great. Eight six to six I knew I recognized his voice. Eight six six two five seventy is the phone number. Dodgers beat the Brewers tonight three to one. We're gonna take a time out. When we come back, you'll hear from Clayton Kershaw. We had a chance to catch up with him on the pregame show. Plus we'll get more of your phone calls in at eight sixty six eight seven two five seventy.
Speaker 1: This is like a mound visit. It's like a mound visit on Dodger Talk.
Speaker 3: You gotta slow the game down when you let Yahoo's through.
Speaker 1: Anyway.
Speaker 3: Dodgers beat the Brewers three to one on a five to seventy LA Sports.
Speaker 2: Dodger fans, this is Tommy Edmond.
Speaker 4: You're listening to the home of the back to back world champion Dodgers. On a five seventy LA Sports.
Speaker 2: Edmon cracks went in the air to deep left field.
Speaker 1: This ball is gone.
Speaker 7: Tommy with a much needed tank. They double the Dodger lead, now three to one.
Speaker 2: After Evans fourth of the.
Speaker 3: Year, Tommy Edmund with his first home run at Dodgers Stadium this season. Obviously, Tommy got a late start to the year. Recovering from right ankle surgery. Tonight was only his twenty fourth game at Dodgers Stadium, but he finally homers as the Dodgers beat the Brewers tonight three to one, and that was a huge insurance run in the sixth inning for the Dodgers. Andy poh Haz also homer tonight. He had three hits in a stolen bas so the Dodgers got a big night from Edmund and Pahz and Edmund made a great play in the ninth inning to save Edwin Diaz and the Dodgers in the ninth inning.
Speaker 1: Daniel S.
Speaker 3: Jewelers presents the home run Forecast for your chance to win a fifty dollars Daniel S Jewelers gift card. Visit AM five to seventy LA sports dot Com. Used the keyword home run and to your name you could win. Daniel Jewelers own the dream. We have two lines open at A nine eight seven, two five seventy. Obviously, Kyle Tucker, as you heard from the same caller twice tonight, has not had a great year, but especially at home.
Speaker 1: He was zero for four tonight.
Speaker 3: Kyle Tucker coming into the game for whatever reason is only hitting a buck ninety six at Dodger Stadium. When on the road, Kyle Tucker is a respectable player. His ops on the road is eight forty. He has nine home runs, he has thirty seven RBIs. He's a two seventy five hitter on the road. He's only a one ninety six hitter at Dodger Stadium in over two hundred at bats.
Speaker 1: I don't know how.
Speaker 3: You explain that, but those are drastic, drastic differences with the same player. And you know, if I'm Kyle Tucker, I'm doing something different than what I've been doing all year long as far as my routine at Dodgers Stadium. For example, two guys that don't like to hit on the field, Freddie Freeman and show Heyotani. When they're not going good, Otani, the best player in the game, will come out and take batting practice on the field so he can see the ball travel, so he can readjust his eyes to see the batter's eye. A lot of different things why players come out to take batting practice on the field. Freddie Freeman, you're telling me Kyle Tucker's better than Show Hayo Tani and Freddie Freeman you're telling me Kyle Tucker's routine is better than Freddie Freeman, and show Hao Tani's Freddie Freeman when he's not going well, like at the beginning of this homestand would come out and take batting practice to see the ball travel the opposite way, to see the spin of the ball, how it's playing. How about Kyle Tucker come out once and take batting practice out on the field. Because you're hitting a Buck ninety at Dodger Stadium. You gotta change something. Something in your routine has got to change here because it's not working. We're fifty nine games in on the home schedule and Kyle Tucker is hitting a Buck ninety five and he was zero for four to night with two strikeouts.
Speaker 12: Uh.
Speaker 3: And like I said, and I said this, I actually pointed this out two weeks ago, but now it's becoming more glaring because the number is below two hundred.
Speaker 1: And Kyle Tucker on the road.
Speaker 3: If he would just be Kyle Tucker on the road at Dodgers Stadium, we would not be getting Yahoo callers trying to be pottymouth on the show. He's sitting two seventy five with an ops of eight to forty on the road. At home, Kyle Tucker in fifty nine games has an ops of five seventy five. That's incredible, and quite honestly, there's a lot of other Dodgers that don't do well at home compared to the road. You look at Max Munsey Homan Road, completely different, but at least respectable seven to seventy one ops. Taoscar Hernandez only five home runs at Dodgers Stadium this year. He's only hitting two forty five at home. Freddie Freeman, Who's Freddy Freeman hits three twenty nine.
Speaker 1: Away from Dodgers Stadium. At home, Freddie Freeman's hitting two seventy eight. That's still better than one ninety six like Kyle Tucker's hitting this year. Just wanted to point all that out.
Speaker 3: Eight sixty six nine eight seven two five seventy is the phone number. Dodgers beat the Brewers tonight three to one in Game two of this four game series. Let's go out to our guy Ken in Newport Beach, who is on hold all night long. I'm sorry I couldn't get you last night, Ken, but happy to talk to you tonight.
Speaker 13: Oh well, thank you. A couple of things. First off, a lot of people don't know that the Dodgers before today's game, there were only one game ahead of Chicago for fourth place. Now what does that mean. Well, if you finish fourth, I think you just playing in a one game series in the playoffs.
Speaker 12: Is that correct?
Speaker 3: The Dodgers aren't finishing fourth, they're the division winner, so that's not happening.
Speaker 13: Oh, okay, all right, you're right, that's right. I'm sorry about that. Okay, thank you. Now here's my other point, and I'm not going to be making bad comments about Tucker, but I was going to bring up that average at home and it's really really bad. I'm just wondering, is there something going on where Tucker? And now this new picture who's getting crusted every time out is not supposed to be. Yeah, it's Freedman involved in this because he's got a lot on the line and there's a lot of money here, and it's hard for me to believe that Dave was going to put Diaz back in and Dave continues to play fucker. Who's as you said, one ninety six is just just Dave Or is Andrew Freeman involved.
Speaker 3: Andrew Freeman is very involved. He's the president of baseball Operations, Ken, he signed both players, but just like last year with Michael Conforto, who was a lesser player than Kyle Tucker and a lot less of a price tag, the Dodgers won the division going away with Michael Conforto being in left field and giving them virtually zero offensive production. So the Dodgers are going to give Kyle Tucker and have given him a long leash because Kyle Tucker's a really good player. So my point to you, Ken, is if they're going to let Conforto play his way through it, they're going to let Kyle Tucker play his way through it. And then in the postseason, you know anything's in play to win the game, because you got to win the game in the postseason, and if Tucker doesn't pick it up, you're not gonna see him start.
Speaker 1: I don't believe.
Speaker 13: Yeah, yeah, well, I think that's the way it should be, and was obviously I was, Ken.
Speaker 1: Ken.
Speaker 3: They've won back to back championships, so obviously they care about winning and they're not just here to let money play. So I think you've got to switch your thought process here.
Speaker 1: This isn't nineteen ninety eight.
Speaker 3: This is twenty twenty six, and the Dodgers are having unprecedented success with probably the best GM manager combo they've had since Al Campanis and Tommy Lasorda or Al Campanis and you know, Walter Alston.
Speaker 13: Yeah, that's a good point.
Speaker 1: Yeah, all right, Ken, thank you for the phone call.
Speaker 13: Yeah.
Speaker 3: I mean, at some point, you know, this isn't nineteen ninety eight. It's not signing Kevin Brown and letting Mike Piazza walk away.
Speaker 1: I mean, these guys are very.
Speaker 3: Capable, and they've won back to back championships, something that's never happened in Dodger history. And they're looking to make even more history by going for a three peat, which would mean the first National League team ever to do it. And that's Andrew Friedman and that's Dave Roberts. Let's go out to Michael, who was at the game tonight. Hi, Michael, you're on Dodger Talk.
Speaker 7: How's it going?
Speaker 2: Oh?
Speaker 1: Just great, Michael?
Speaker 7: All right, I just want to talk about the Dodger game experience. It was awesome. We've seen a lady take a beast fall to the face. We've seen the famous peanut guy throw behind the back pass, so a customer on the dot. But I do have one question, why not play? Why not play Monty at first and Kika, who's a little bit more athletic at third. What are your thoughts on that?
Speaker 3: Well, part of the thinking there, Michael, going back to last year, is that the Dodgers have worked and Munsey has worked really hard to become a really good third baseman, So they don't want to take away from that and bounce him back and forth across the Diamonds. So they just prefer to leave Munsey at third because he's one of the best defensive third basemen this year, and just whenever Freddy takes that rare day off, have Kik play first base?
Speaker 7: Got it?
Speaker 10: Got it?
Speaker 7: I feel like Kiko was doing a lot of huggin at the bag, so I felt like, maybe, you know, he could utilize his skill set a little bit better.
Speaker 1: But that makes sense, all right, Michael, thank you for the phone call. Appreciate it. Eight six six nine eight seven two five seventy.
Speaker 3: There's been a lot of talk, obviously the last two nights about Edwin Diaz, and obviously last night many of you were very emotional, very upset, and this afternoon before the game. Clayton Krushaw, who was out here being celebrated, was our pregame guest, and I asked him about Edwin Diaz, the closer situation, and just the volatility of a bullpen.
Speaker 14: I mean, I think, you know, I think managing a bullpen. Obviously I've never been a manager, but I think Doc, I think Doc would probably say it too, is like figuring out the bullpen is probably the hardest job, hardest part of your job, because it's just a roller coaster sometimes, you know. And even though they're all individual guys down there, I do feel like they feed off each other and I feel like there's a lot of momentum given and a lot of momentum that matters in the bullpen and when everybody, when everybody's on the same page, it's a really good track. And obviously these guys are super talented and Edwin's no different. So yeah, like you said, he's coming off surgery. It's a it's a quick rehab from an elbow surgery, no matter how small. And you know, I do think that ultimately he's going to be the guy getting the outs in the ninth inning when it matters, and I think that's the way that we're built, and I think that's the way that we want it all right.
Speaker 3: There you go from the guy himself, Clayton Kershaw on board to allow Edwin Diaz to figure this out and get things right, not in the seventh inning, but in the ninth inning, and to hear the full conversation with the future Hall of Famer Clayton Kershaw. You can find it on the iHeartRadio app. It was great to see him, spend time with him, make him laugh at me, with me, whatever you want to describe it as, but it was a great time having him around and having his family here. Let's go out to Anne, who was at Dodgers Stadium tonight. Hi Anne, you're on Dodger Talk.
Speaker 12: Hi Dave. We're We're almost home.
Speaker 9: But we had a great time we play. My friend and I both clapped for div because he needed it, I think, and there were a lot of people around us that we're not clapping for him. But there's a lot of swear words, and I didn't quite understand that.
Speaker 3: Yeah, it's a family affair. Come on, we don't need swear words at a game. It's always awkward when there's kids around and you're and these guys, these are a little bit over zealous, you know, using those kind of words.
Speaker 9: Anne, I go, they're children here, stop up, I mean, you know. And we had good seats.
Speaker 2: But haven't they heard.
Speaker 3: Charlie Steiner's Code of conduct before every game.
Speaker 9: I don't think they listen to that. I think they're too busy drinking.
Speaker 13: But that's just fun.
Speaker 9: It's just my guess. Oh my gosh, it was such a fun.
Speaker 15: Guy.
Speaker 9: I hadn't been to I do like come a lot more and I didn't haven't gotten a come this year, so this was my second game, and oh gosh, it was fun.
Speaker 1: That's awesome. I'm glad you had a great time, man, And I hope you got your Kruse Shaw bobblehead.
Speaker 9: We did, we did. And my friend is she has like a one of a kind sweatshirt. If she got involved early on in the Kershaw's Challenge and for some reason she wound up with a sweachers that nobody's ever.
Speaker 3: Seen, well there you go, there you go. I know she must be a very generous donor. That's why she got it. Thanks for the phone call and get home safe. Eight sixty six two five seventy is the phone number. Dodgers beat the Brewers tonight three to one, ed when Diaz loaded the bases and stranded the bases loaded to pick up his seventh save of the season. Yama Moto tonight pitched really well, nine strikeouts in six innings. Maybe not his sharpest, but that just shows you the greatness of Yama Moto, and that's the next level for a guy like him.
Speaker 1: When you don't have your.
Speaker 3: Best stuff, you still go at least six innings and compete your way through understanding the bullpen situation, especially, and he only gave up one earned run, and the Dodger offense still I would like to see a little more from the Dodger offense. Lost in last night's disappointing loss in the ninth inning was the Dodgers only collecting four hits. And if it wasn't for Max Months He's pinch hit three run home run, the Dodgers may not have had the lead in the ninth inning tonight. They scored three runs on eight hits, and we're just one for six with runners in scoring position and left seven men on base. So we need more. We need more from the Dodger offense. Let's go out to Culver City. Kevin, you're on Dodger Talk, Hi.
Speaker 11: Kevin, David my man, what's going on?
Speaker 10: Boss?
Speaker 1: Living the dream? Kevin living the dream.
Speaker 11: Hey, these guys they talk about were ruining baseball. It's not ruining baseball. We have the culture.
Speaker 1: The best thing talking about that anymore.
Speaker 11: Yeah, well we got Freeman. Look, we got Scooball because schoo ball wants to be part of the culture. Kyle Tucker, Now, let me tell you this, Kyle Tucker, he's gonna leave his imprint on this team in this postseason. He's gonna do something. He's gonna get a base it, he's gonna get RBI, it's gonna win a game, a home run, and we're gonna be talking about what a great performance. That's why you get players like Kyle Tucker because of the playoffs, when you're going against marquee teams, you need those guys who's won World Series, who've seen that pitching in the postseason, and that's what he's here for. I'm not concerned about the pitching because you and I know when Dave Roberts has to get a closer or a close out the game, it will be ol Tani or Yamamoto closing it out or even a scooball. So I'm not concerned about that. Leed Diaz work through his kiaks and let them figure it out. But we got the best rotation in baseball, and we're getting sealthy at the right time. Snail Glass now on the back end, coming in Otani, who threw the bullpen session today. We got young Mooto the ace.
Speaker 3: Kevin, let me ask you a question, Kevin, I'll ask you this question that I'm gonna ask, and we're gonna do a show on this as we get closer to the postseason. The last three Dodger Championships, the final out has been recorded by their starting pitcher Julio Urias in twenty twenty, Walker Bueller in twenty four and of course last year the World Series MVP Yamamoto, who's getting the last out of the World Series for the Dodgers. This year, Kevin kared Scuba no chance. Scott Boris would not allow him to come out of the bullpen. I don't see that happening. I disagree with you. I'll share with you guys later in in the month of September, who I believe is going to get the final out of the season for the Dodgers. Love you, Kevin, thank you for the phone call.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 3: Just like Max Scherzer closed out Game five of the twenty one NLDS and then didn't pitch Game six. I don't see that happening with Schoobol. I love schoobl I think he's gonna pitch great in the postseason. I just don't see him doing those super Superman type of things that Yamamoto did last year.
Speaker 1: Let's go out to Sergio in Azusa. You're on Dodger Talk. How you doing, Sergio great?
Speaker 7: David want to announce my friend Ryan had a baby boy named Alice clay On Clayton bobble hits or we're stoked about that.
Speaker 10: And then I got my nephew visiting here with my.
Speaker 7: Son and they want to say hi.
Speaker 2: Say hi guys.
Speaker 11: Oh Hi.
Speaker 1: That sounds like they were forced to say Hi. Sergio.
Speaker 3: It's like when I when my mom forces me to say hi to relatives I don't even know.
Speaker 1: Help me, Oh guys, yeah, yeah, you don't. You don't listen to the show.
Speaker 3: Your dad is like, hey, hey, you want me to call into a radio show, and you guys say Hi to this guy that you don't even know.
Speaker 15: I freaking love the Dodgers. Okay, so today I ranked my uncle here fifth and I and he said, so what can I do to be ranked higher than fifth? And I said, if you can get me to a free Dodger games, then I'll reconsider. So I'm coming here to say that show, Hey is the greatest player. If it's okay, you can get me some free tickets.
Speaker 3: No, no, don't have to whoa, yeah, geez, uncle, take it easy, all right, Hey, Sergio, have a great time. Congratulations to your family. And that sounds like, uh, that sounds like a great family right there. Very very fun family right there. Uh A six six two, five seventy is the phone number. It's been a great night. Very different show than last night. I'll just say that a little bit more lighthearted. Let's go out to David, who is at the game tonight. Hi, David, you're on Dodger.
Speaker 16: Talk that.
Speaker 3: You're David. I'm David at Dodgers Stadium. You're David on the way to Westlake Village.
Speaker 7: Dave, You're the man.
Speaker 16: We all love him. Let's say, yeah, today's game was a little nerve wracking at the end, but I'm happy for Dsay came through. And then as far as Kyles Hutter goes, you know, we need Kyle Tuner like we need DS. So I'm not giving up on Tucker, you know, because, like you said, we need all these guys win another championship.
Speaker 3: I mean, if Tucker could do what he keep away from Dodgers Stadium at Dodgers Stadium, I think everybody would be happy with that, because that's who he is as a player. He's a two seventy five hitter, he's a twenty five home guy. He's got nine away from here. So I don't know what it is, but he's got to change his routine. It's not always on Dave Roberts, it's not on Andrew Friedman, it's not on Aaron Bates or Rob van Zoyak or anybody else. Kyle Tucker, you're so good, you know yourself, so well change it up.
Speaker 1: That's my advice to you.
Speaker 16: And then it's interesting that you said that she doesn't take batting practice at home.
Speaker 3: He never takes no, he never takes batting practice on the field anywhere, home or road. But how about at home? Since you're struggling, change it up. Change up your routine.
Speaker 7: Yeah, I agree with you there.
Speaker 3: Yeah, whatever it is, that was just my observation suggestion, just change it up.
Speaker 1: Thanks for the phone call, David, appreciate it.
Speaker 3: Eight sixty six nine eight seven two five seventy is the phone number. So many fans came out for Kershawn Knight. It was great to have him here. And my guy Sam from Downy Hunday was out here and out here a couple of nights ago for the Hello Kiddie Night. That was a good giveaway night. And tomorrow, man, what a game Robleski versus Jacob Mizzowski. If you don't have your tickets now, there are still tickets available.
Speaker 1: It's a four fifteen game.
Speaker 3: A great way to spend your Saturday, to come out and see the Miz take on the Dodgers.
Speaker 1: All right, let's check in with Jose Mota.
Speaker 2: It's time to go around the horn with Jose Mota.
Speaker 3: All right, Jose Mota, let's start right there with Kyle Tucker. I mean, everybody now has caught on to the fact that he has had an abysmal season at Dodgers Stadium. Don't you feel like in these situations like Otani like Freddie Freeman, maybe change up your routine to get things going.
Speaker 8: I'm all for that, There's no doubt about it. We saw him do it a couple of times earlier this season. It seems like you got a little bit better, Dave. There's so much importance in just thumb and getting used, your eyes used to the background. That's the main thing, even though you're not going to be hitting around the same type of daylight or lights. But it's good to be out there and get the flow and get pitches coming at you and see what the ball is doing too, how the ball is traveling, what kind of spin are you getting. You know, the machines inside do tell you exit velocity and you know probable distance, things like that. But there's nothing like watching the ball come off your bat. It's nothing like watching your barrel and see where it is. We're seeing a Kyle Tucker again, where there's a lot of chick swings on favorable account for hitters. It's very unusual. Andy Pies came out today and hit early. How about that, David, say, what happened with me like that?
Speaker 3: I saw that, and and he looked at me and said, what am I doing here so early.
Speaker 1: I was like, what are you doing here so early? Why are you asking me?
Speaker 8: He's out there early a lot just to get this outfield work with Dino Evil. But today it was good to see him go out there and have a plan and paying attention to what he was doing, getting into the baseball so well, cutting down his swing, hitting up the machine, hitting off velocity, and just again the flow of your body and just the idea that I've been here before. I can see them out, I can see center field, I can see how the ball's traveling. There are a lot of times when you're hitting inside you get fool yourself by saying, oh that was quick off the net. You don't know who the one's going to do with, you know, if it got to the offulo or not. And it's important that guys get used to doing that. And even though it's a modern thing now with baseball, going back, you know, maybe eight ten years, as you mentioned, guys like Freddie Freeman when he needs to come out to see get a flow for see what the ball's doing. Standing inside the ball, I want to shoot it in this direction. The field is a target for you, and the good hitters find targets to go out there and say I'm going to shoot for this because I guess my body in a position where I'm going to repeat it during the game there. So it's so much about body repetition and you know, and muscle memory that it would be very beneficial thing for a guy like Kyle Tucker to do the same thing.
Speaker 3: All right, Hey, I like that validation, Jose. I'm not a hitting coach. I'm just a guy that talks baseball. But I mean I know about.
Speaker 8: Long enough, yeah, long enough.
Speaker 3: Yeah, you know, if it works for Otani and Freddie Freeman, two of the best players in baseball, I feel like Kyle Tucker, can you know, change it up a little bit like those two guys.
Speaker 8: Bryce Harper, Kyle Schrauber. You go to Philly, those guys are out there hitting outside. Those guys don't need to be doing this in this day and age, when you know a lot of guys are a backups not even hitting outside. So I'm all for it. So hopefully, you know, he'll be convinced that at least just to change it up and just to say, you know what, I just need base hits here. I need better at best, and you see the ball better. That's a very good option to go on to hang out with your teammates too, and hang out in the outfield, Shagan and tailor balls also traveling through the infield when he hit line drives.
Speaker 1: Jose Mota is joining us.
Speaker 3: After the Dodgers defeat the Brewers tonight three to one, and when Diaz got himself into a basis loaded jam, and when Diaz, with some help from Keik and Tommy Edmond, got out of a basis loaded jam to help the Dodgers hold on, compared to last night when the Brewers scored three runs in the ninth inning. So what did you see tonight from Edwin Diaz?
Speaker 8: Maybe a sharper slider sometimes where he forced it to mechanically be on top of it. I again saw Aim working out early today with Connor mcguinnis to work through some things. I'm glad that he got a little bit of the Assay karmath for the game today. He actually was, you know, attracted to you and said, I gotta go talk to this guy. So the fans hear me. Obviously it was the cleanest of save. But let's just take the save right now, Dave. That's all you want right got to w got to save. Let's give Keiki Hernandez a lot of credit for his defense throughout this whole home stand in left field and third base, in a first base and also his form of just having a good sense for the game, not having anybody tell you. From Doug out Hey, go out there to the mountain. No, no, he was like, I gotta do this with my guy from Puerto Rico. I gotta go out there and just tell him to slow it down. Here the best on the mound. You're exactly what we need. And Dave, there's a lot of times which that's all guys need to hear from a teammate. You're the guy we want right now in this situation. You've done it before. Go out there and get it done. So with everything that could have gone wrong, even including Mookie's throat, let's just celebrate the fact that they got a W and Edwin could be himself catapulting from this one to say I got to do better, but I know I'm back.
Speaker 1: Are you starting to buy into the Dodgers thinking that the ninth inning is the place where they need Edwin Diaz and it's the place where he's going to get better and get back to himself.
Speaker 8: Here's what I know. This what's going to continue to happen because we've seen it happen in the past with every star, every closer that's you know, struggled. So be convinced that this is where Dave Roberts is going to go. I mean going back to him in the front office. I mean there's in conjunction. There's not just Dave Roberts desitions. As you know the previous color was talking about. Yeah it is, it comes to the top and they'll get together and say this is our best option. Now, remember one thing to David. There's a lot lot of times when the game is not saved in the ninth inning, it is saved in the seventh inning or in the eighth inning, and they do have options to go there and get those stays for you in those innings. So for now, get used to it. Going back to Blake trying to last year. He lost five games September, and it kept going back to him, going back to him until it was not a fact because then you start scoring more runs. But then you go to you know LCS and before you know it, you know, rookie gets into a little trouble. Who comes in the mount blake trying and strike out, you know the guy they need to be struck it out. And at the same time, then if you don't use in those situations, it's like you can't bury him. But then they become your best option and only option, and you just got to be ready for it. So there's many guys that I would say, for like Evan Phillips, keep pushing and you want to be that guy, and you know, and be consistent and throwing strikes and missing bets, but at the same time, be ready for any inning, six seventh inning, that's your inn, and get it done because you know da is going to get the baseball. Now, he's going to be out for a couple of days. So guess what, David, somebody else is going to get up or Tae.
Speaker 1: We'll see how that goes tomorrow night.
Speaker 3: And I when I saw this series and I started to see just how it was laying out with the pitching matchups.
Speaker 1: I was circling tomorrow's game a week ago.
Speaker 3: Jose Jacob Mizerowski on the mound for the Brewers tomorrow against the Dodgers. I mean, does it feel like it's Reggie Smith. Legends of Baseball Night Tomorrow. Does it feel like this is Nolan Ryan? Does it feel like it's JR. Richard like Reggie Smith and the Dodgers used to face.
Speaker 8: Oh my god, yes, And I remember I was a bad boy watching these games, especially tomorrow. By the way, as we're talking about hitting outside, get outside tomorrow because it's not going to be easy hitting at four point thirty in the afternoon. So oh yeah, hit your eyes out there and got thrown one hundred and five. Do the best you can to just see the ball, meet the ball, and have a good plan. So he's beatable. You can beat up the Angels beat him recently, so you know what, go through and just throw some zeros from Robleski. But give yourselves a better chance and honor Reggie Smith, who could be a guy that can send a quick masters to you and Dave Roberts respects so much about just going after and putting your best effort together and fight for the baths man. Just don't give in. Fight for him.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I would love to, you know.
Speaker 3: I hope Reggie Smith gets a chance to talk to some of these Dodger hitters because even in a you know, a five to ten minute conversation. I feel like he would enlighten them a lot when it comes to hitting.
Speaker 8: Someday you will and I will have a conversation with Reggie Smith and what I saw from him as a leader in the clubhouse, just on real somebody didn't do their job, young player who had a little facial hair, somebody around the base is wrong. And he would not do it during the game, but once a game was over and before the media came in, he would grab somebody and just say, this is not the way we play baseball here.
Speaker 1: Son.
Speaker 8: If you won't be around here, you got to do better. And that's who Reggie was.
Speaker 3: That's part of the legacy of Reggie Smith. A great team leader, a great teacher, a great player, and he'll be part of the legends of Dodger Baby spalled joining your Pops.
Speaker 1: Nights.
Speaker 8: Yeah, Reggie introduced me to the Jerry Curl So I'm pretty happy about that too.
Speaker 1: Okay, Well, you know he can't be right on everything. Yeah, sure is. We'll see tomorrow night, Jose, there he goes. Dodger broadcaster Jose Mota, part of the Dodgers Spanish radio broadcast with Luis Cochito Cruz before we say goodnight. I have breaking news now. You know.
Speaker 3: I've been waiting for Will Smith for the last two months in front of his locker at Dodger Stadium, waiting for him, waiting for him to come to the locker. He has not come until this homestand the other day I asked him a couple of questions. All he gave me was a shoulder shrug, zipped his lips like he's not gonna talk to me.
Speaker 1: And then today a big day.
Speaker 3: Will Smith took back practice on the field, as did Dalton, rushing, but rushing obviously he's been playing. He can still hit, he can't throw. Will Smith has not taken batting practice on the field since going on the il with that disc issue.
Speaker 1: In his neck.
Speaker 3: So today was a big step and he is trending in the right direction. And I did see Will Smith today and I did have my microphone waiting for him after he came off the field taking batting practice, trying to get Will Smith to break his silence, and he did. Here's what Will Smith told me about his injury.
Speaker 6: Can you kick him out please?
Speaker 8: Yeah?
Speaker 3: I guess that was a no comment. Can you play that again, Colin, I have an exclusive interview with Will Smith regarding the status of when he may return.
Speaker 6: Can you kick him out? Please?
Speaker 1: How about that? Yeah?
Speaker 3: Will doesn't really want to talk still. Maybe he feels like if he opens up to me he might have a setback with his neck. But hey, I'll be here tomorrow.
Speaker 1: Will Smith.
Speaker 6: Can you kick him out please?
Speaker 1: They want to trust me.
Speaker 3: Maybe Will Smith will take bad in practice again tomorrow before the game, and I'll be standing right there waiting for him. And I'll be at his locker tomorrow when they open the clubhouse to the media, waiting for him.
Speaker 1: Will he give us a little more, just a little more about when he may return, or how he's feeling, or how this turned into a three month injury.
Speaker 6: Can you kick him out please?
Speaker 3: I'll be here tomorrow, Will Anyway, Tomorrow, the miss is on the mound for the Dodgers, going up against Justin Robleski. It's gonna be a great pitching matchup. And Jose Mota just depressed the Dodger hitters because yes, four point fifteen not a great time to hit. But the sun goes down a little a little later these days in the summer months, so the sun should be shining at four point fifteen. Justin Robleski will have that same advantage. He's eleven and four with an ERA at three forty four. The lefties actually have an advantage. Remember a couple of years ago in the NLCS against the Mets, Sean Mania was pitching for the Mets, and the Dodger hitters were saying because of the game time around five o'clock with the shadows, they couldn't see the ball coming.
Speaker 1: Out of Mania's hand.
Speaker 3: And we all know shan Manya is not that, you know, but the sun and the shadows helped him. So it may help Robleski more than Mislerowski tomorrow, but Misslerowski doesn't need a lot of help from mother nature. He's eleven and five this year with an ERA of one seventy six, and he already has recorded two hundred strikeouts. Our coverage begins tomorrow at three o'clock, first pitch at four fifteen.
Speaker 1: That'll do it for us tonight on Dodger Talk.
Speaker 3: Thanks to Dwayne McDonald out here at Dodgers Stadium, thanks to calling you back at our Burbank studios, and thanks to you for listening in case you missed any of the show, you can find it on the iHeartRadio app. That's also where you can listen to our pregame conversation with future Hall of Famer Clayton Kershaw.
Speaker 1: Once again.
Speaker 3: The final score tonight the Dodgers hold on for a three to one win over the Brewers.
Speaker 1: We'll talk to you tomorrow. Have a great rest of your night, Be safe, see them
Speaker 3: Send it away.