Speaker 1: Has anybody watched the trailer? It's not a big movie. It's not a big movie. But has anybody seen the trailer for Brailed It?
Speaker 2: Like nailed it, but it's brailed It?
Speaker 3: Nailed it?
Speaker 1: But yes, brailed It sounds like nailed it, but it's brailed.
Speaker 4: It have not.
Speaker 1: The trailer's good. The trailer's really good. It's a it's a documentary. It's a small documentary. Actually it's only good.
Speaker 5: Right.
Speaker 1: Well, it will expand, but it's gonna be at it's not open yet, no one second.
Speaker 3: Um.
Speaker 1: It'll begin at New York's Squad Cinema on September fourth, and then we'll quickly expand with a screening at the Library of Congress in DC, followed by additional engagements in other cities. So it'll go New York Library of Congress and then it'll start to open up, right, And it's a documentary.
Speaker 3: Called Brailed It.
Speaker 1: Every year, the top eight Top under eighteen so eighteen U Braille readers and writers from across the English speaking world gather in Los Angeles to compete in the Braille Challenge for one weekend. Blind and low vision kids are no longer the minority in the room, they make new friends, face off against old rivals, and chase a rare chance to be recognized not only for their disability but for their skill and brailed it. The camera is placed directly in their hands. As the kids document the competition themselves. They're fragmented imagery and candid moments of nerves, boredom, joy and triumph.
Speaker 3: And then it goes on and does it.
Speaker 1: The trailer's amazing, The trailer's great, and it is it's all blind kids.
Speaker 2: So what exactly happens just speaking of the competition itself, what happens.
Speaker 1: Showing the competition is so in so in the in the in the trailer, right, you get parts of like meeting the kids, right, so like you meet one girl, Yeah, a little bit. I don't know how much of a backstory you get, but like, some of these kids could not be more competitive, right, Like, it's no different than any other competition. And so I assume that some of these kids have been going year after year after year to compete. And there are some of them, some of these kids where it's like where they're like, you know, it's a competition, it's not the end of the world. And then the blind kids like, yeah, it is like it like it's everything to them, Like this is their competition.
Speaker 2: It's like the spelling Bee where they spend all year training.
Speaker 1: Yeah but yet yet, Yes, but it's also it's it's the spelling bee, it's a hockey tournament, it's a dance competition. It is like that's their thing. So they go in there and the competition part of it. They sit it these brail machines. I don't know what you call them. I have no idea what the real term is. And if that's offensive, I'm sorry, but it looks like the brail people type writers. That's probably also offensive, And for that one, I am sorry. No, what do you call it? What do you call it? What's the braille machine called a brailer? There's no way it's a brailer.
Speaker 4: I don't know.
Speaker 3: Is what is it called the braille type machine?
Speaker 2: It's commonly called a braille writer or a Perkins brailer.
Speaker 3: Oh so you were right? Oh good for you. You knew that.
Speaker 2: I guess it.
Speaker 3: I guess mine too.
Speaker 2: You just threw together three words and hoped they made some sense.
Speaker 1: These kids sit there on these brailers, Diane. It is it's amazing the speed in which they're I guess you call it typing.
Speaker 3: I don't know what you call it. I'm not blind. I don't have one of these.
Speaker 2: Now, that.
Speaker 4: Might be the most defensive thing you've said.
Speaker 3: But it is amazing to watch them type on this.
Speaker 2: So you said speed inaccuracy. I get that right. I wondered and or compared this. I guess to the spelling Bee the five core categories that they are tested on. Okay, speeding accuracy is one, yes, spelling obviously, Well, isn't that accuracy? But anyway, it doesn't matter. Go ahead, proofreading, oh reading, comprehension and tactile charts and graphs interpretation.
Speaker 1: If I'm being completely honest, I've never thought of a braille graft or graph the like. Listen, I can't read brail the no, I can't, but we've all felt it, right, Yeah, I hope that this is meaning.
Speaker 3: I don't mean for it to be.
Speaker 1: But like you get in the elevator or an eighteen nine and there's brail, like you'll touch it, and so you're somewhat familiar with that. Again, I can't read it. I think it is unbelievably impressive. I shouldn't say that, Remember, if you're if you're blind, that's what that's your language.
Speaker 2: In Brad Meltzer's Iron Heelen color book, they had Brail in it.
Speaker 1: Yeah yeah, which, by the way I read the.
Speaker 2: Words, I think, whether it's some sort of a machine or an elevator or even that book, the children who are cited being exposed to that is touching thing.
Speaker 3: I agree, I agree.
Speaker 1: But if you're blind and you could read Brail, like, I'm not celebrating that, like that's your thing.
Speaker 3: You should be able to do that.
Speaker 2: But it sounds like these kids are reading at a pace that goes beyond normal.
Speaker 1: Oh yeah, But what I was going to say is I don't imagine graphs, you know what I mean?
Speaker 3: Like I like I do.
Speaker 1: I can't think of any graphs right now, but diagram right that would be hard in brail.
Speaker 4: Let's pull up an example.
Speaker 3: Okay, you could just do dots. I won't know what it is there are.
Speaker 1: But so anyway, there's the competition part of it where they're they're they're at the the brailers.
Speaker 3: And these kids are banging along, banging along.
Speaker 1: Now they don't show them doing like reading and stuff like that, but then you see them like at the at the hotel where the competition's taking place, right, and it's it's it's every hotel that I've been in for hockey tournaments, or or for dance tournaments, or for anything. It's every Hampton in that you been in, except instead of lugging around hockey bags, they're lugging around blind sticks.
Speaker 3: I don't know what those.
Speaker 2: Are called either, Jesus Christ. The wands a wand I don't know what it's a kazam?
Speaker 3: What is that called? Are you a blind stick? You're kill a blind cane?
Speaker 2: No, it's not a it's it's just a cane. It doesn't have to have a word blind in it.
Speaker 1: But it's not a right. No no, but it's not no no, but it's not it's not no. If I say, oh, he walks around with a cane, you're not picturing a blind cane.
Speaker 2: I didn't notice. They're called white canes.
Speaker 3: Thank you anyway, So like they've got those.
Speaker 2: Or on Amazon canes for the blind.
Speaker 3: The thank you that makes more sense.
Speaker 1: This girl gets my favorite part of the trailer. It's like all of them just being kids. This girl gets in the elevator right, so she's on the fourth floor, whatever floor she's on, and she pushes the button and she waits, and I.
Speaker 3: Guess she knows the dang and the door open or whatever.
Speaker 1: She walks in and maybe this is common with blind people. Yeah, which she gets in the elevator.
Speaker 2: God, I hope people realize you're quoting the teaser.
Speaker 3: Yeah, she gets it. He goes hello.
Speaker 2: I don't know, how's that funny.
Speaker 1: Because she didn't know if anybody's in the elevator. Oh oh, so she's got it.
Speaker 2: So if somebody responds and she starts up a conversation, yeah.
Speaker 1: Like, if I get on the elevator, I can see someone's on there, and if I get on the elevator, assuming they can also see, they see me.
Speaker 3: Get on, so I don't have to say hello, but they do. It's like that was awesome.
Speaker 1: And then there's the one girl who's running down the sidewalk because she's all excited, but her her what is it called her cane or her white cane is on the right and misses her her sister's legs, so she slams right intoor.
Speaker 3: It's awesome. It's good. But the trailer is so good.
Speaker 4: By the way, if you have a moment today.
Speaker 2: The way braille depicts a vent diagram is fascinating because it's written like a statement, and.
Speaker 3: Oh so it isn't a graph. I mean it is, but it's not.
Speaker 4: What is it.
Speaker 3: It's like you don't see like in a zen diagram.
Speaker 1: It's the two circles and they overlap, so but you're not feeling a circle in a circle and what's in the middle.
Speaker 2: No, you're just reading a line. And the braille indicates if the subset includes, there, doesn't include, or can tains are therefore such that no elements empty set. It's wild and I understand what they're trying to communicate, but it's really interesting. I don't remember what did the passage in I am Helen Keller.
Speaker 4: What did it say? Do you remember?
Speaker 2: Oh? Hello, anybody in here?
Speaker 4: Okay?
Speaker 2: I understand that it is something that might happen. I believe you that it happened in the trailer.
Speaker 3: It's the trailer.
Speaker 2: But was it meant to be comedic?
Speaker 3: Yes?
Speaker 1: I think it was like to show this is if you're blind, like, think about I never thought about it. I just think, of course, blind people use the elevator. I've seen it blind John's been up here. I'm sure he didn't take the stairs with his dog. I'm sure I took the elevator. But you just take for granted.
Speaker 3: You get on the elevator, you see somebody, you give him the head nod.
Speaker 1: But you can't head nod if you can't see him because you're blind.
Speaker 2: So you get in Hello, but it's almost like you're affecting your voice like there's an echo.
Speaker 3: Well what am I supposed to do? Get on there and go hello? Hello? No, you gotta be kind of open with it. Can I go to line one pulling up the trailer?
Speaker 1: Ha?
Speaker 3: Oh?
Speaker 4: You have to.
Speaker 3: Hi elliot in the morning.
Speaker 6: Hi, I'm blind, I'm a Keen user and I have two Perkins brailers. What do you want to know?
Speaker 2: What was the last part to what.
Speaker 3: Number one? Were you?
Speaker 1: I mean this honestly, and I'm sorry if I'm offending. You Have you been are you? Have you been blind since birth?
Speaker 6: Since I was five years old?
Speaker 1: Right?
Speaker 3: So do you do you even remember being sighted?
Speaker 6: So I'm low vision now, so I have I was able to get a lot of slight back maybe because I was young, so like maybe some of the stuff grew back.
Speaker 3: Hey, can I can I ask you this, what is like? I know you said your low vision? Right? What is like? At what?
Speaker 1: At what point of low vision? This are you considered blind?
Speaker 6: I think it's a hard I think it's a hard question. I people who try. I know, I know people who drive who say they are a low vision?
Speaker 1: Holy god, Hey, what is the what is the But you said you you use a cane?
Speaker 5: Right?
Speaker 6: Yes, it is called a white cane?
Speaker 1: Sure the the have you ever heard of this competition that takes place?
Speaker 5: No?
Speaker 6: I have haven't. It is that I know that I did a competition. I never went. I never traveled for I grew up in upstate New York, what part near Albany, Oh?
Speaker 3: Okay.
Speaker 1: So so you did a competition and it's and it's a Perkins brailer, like you said the the speed in which these kids are typing is unbelievable.
Speaker 3: How how often do you use it?
Speaker 6: Right now? I only use it for shopping lists, can and keeping keeping score and scrabble. I haven't used it. I used it all to high school for taking notes.
Speaker 3: Can I can? I ask you this? So you use it?
Speaker 6: So?
Speaker 3: Like what I don't? I don't know how the machine works?
Speaker 1: But you use it and you're typing it, and then whatever whatever you type is in braille and then it comes out so like you can, like your shopping list, you can then take to you can take to the store, and you could read your shopping.
Speaker 3: List right right, I have.
Speaker 6: So my theory is I have enough sight to see the shelves, but so if I can use my eyes on the shelves that I don't have to keep moving my eyes back and forth to my list. I can use my fingers from my list.
Speaker 3: That's cool.
Speaker 1: Is does the brailer work like if you were if you were not, if you were never sighted, or you were fully blind and you couldn't use a typewriter. Is there a way to use one of those Perkin brailers to type? But it comes out as a piece of paper that I could read.
Speaker 3: I can't read brail.
Speaker 6: Yes, I had. I had a machine called a brail in print back when I was in middle school high school. And you took your brail Perkins, your Perkins brailer, the big metals thing that weighs fifteen pounds, took the bottom off of it, put it on top of this metal platform, and that hooked that platform with like springs on it that match the buttons inside the brailer. It catched that platform to a regular printer, and then you would just like you could roll your paper into the brailer type and brail and then press press a button and it would come out in print.
Speaker 3: That's that's janius.
Speaker 1: I was afraid I was asking a stupid question, if I'm being honest.
Speaker 6: And then there's there's been several things. I mean, there's brail displays where you've got as you're scrolling down a computer screen, you can read line by line the electronic thoughts.
Speaker 3: We learned how you read graphs.
Speaker 6: Uh, yes, I I remember graphs. You either mark them up in brails, just by moving your cursor, so to speak, across the different lines. Or you could also use like a a with like a rubber like a rubber pad underneath it and just kind of press really hard, make invitations that way, gotcha?
Speaker 3: Gotcha? Hey? Last thing, when you get in an elevator, do you go hello?
Speaker 1: No?
Speaker 6: But I mean it's it's always fun when people I suppose me too, you're not paying attention and you just barrel into each other on the way and round.
Speaker 3: All right, very good, very good. Hey, I'm glad that you called thank you very much.
Speaker 6: Yep, have a good one by you got it.
Speaker 2: So I was going through the trailer right, and you're right. Those kids are hammering away.
Speaker 1: Oh did you see them? And it really is impressive. There's not a person listening who types that fast.
Speaker 4: I don't know. Some people are no tyler.
Speaker 2: You saw them the one thing that it makes total sense, but your first caught off guard seeing it. There's only nine looks like nine buttons, nine keys.
Speaker 1: Oh it looks it's it's a typewriter, but it doesn't look like a typewriter.
Speaker 2: But that's because it just needs the six dots.
Speaker 4: I don't know.
Speaker 2: The other keys might be more for formatting, right, but you only need six right, six dots to write embraille.
Speaker 4: And then you.
Speaker 2: Don't ricing and like that.
Speaker 3: I have no idea.
Speaker 4: I know you don't, Elliott.
Speaker 3: Actually I feel like I only need one dot and I just placed a bunch around it.
Speaker 2: But I do believe this is the scene that you keep alluding to.
Speaker 1: You should be able to pick it out in the trailer. She walks into an elevator.
Speaker 4: I'm gonna hit play here, okay.
Speaker 2: I I don't know without captions if this is when she delivers Elio's.
Speaker 7: Line doors open to an empty elevator.
Speaker 3: Hello, What was the voiceover voe and that they're mocking her?
Speaker 1: No, no, no, the voiceover is if you're blind, you don't know that, so it's telling you the doors open to an empty elevator. We can see that, but somebody who's blind can't.
Speaker 3: Hello.
Speaker 2: But it was like, as a sighted person watching it, I can see there's no one in there, and you're hearing, and I understand that they want to the movie for everybody, right, And she says, like an idiot, Well, no, the truth is she shouldn't say anything because she heard the voice over say, doors open to an empty elevator. But what I guess maybe I lost or was lost in all of our ignorance, and you did say this to your credit? How So much of it appears to be filmed by the competitors themselves. Yes, so it's a little bumpy because they're wearing the cameras. Yeah, but it looks pretty neat to see everything from their perspective, yes, oh, versus a filmmaker who just has a crew following them.
Speaker 1: Like at one point they're trying to find one student's trying to find the rest of their group and laughing.
Speaker 2: Is this gonna be funny at all?
Speaker 5: Yeah?
Speaker 2: Probably not.
Speaker 3: They're standing in an enormous group of people. They're like like like, I don't.
Speaker 1: Remember the school, but it would be like blind Diane going, is there anybody here?
Speaker 3: From Lake Braddock?
Speaker 7: Doors open to an empty elevator.
Speaker 1: Hello, Hello, It's awesome.
Speaker 3: It's great. No, I'm telling you it's you can have fun with it.
Speaker 1: But it is a fascinating, fascinating look at at And by the way, who let's start with this. Who knew that they're there?
Speaker 3: There's a scene.
Speaker 1: Who knew that there was a Who knew that there was a national Braille competition?
Speaker 3: Nobody? I learned that.
Speaker 1: I now know that if I'm standing in an elevator and I can't tell they're blind, and somebody walks in and goes hello, I'm gonna know. But questioning hello, I'm going to know that they're blind. I know what to call their sticks now and their machines.
Speaker 2: When did this competition begin?
Speaker 5: I don't know.
Speaker 3: That's a good question. I don't know how many are and I also love it.
Speaker 1: It's this competition is no different than my boys playing hockey, Like one of the parents is like, hey, listen, it doesn't matter if you win or lose, just as long as you have fun, and the kids like, uh no, we're here to win. Like one of them, I think even says like I'm tired of finishing. Second, I'm like, yeah, get after it.
Speaker 4: It looks like it twenty five years ago.
Speaker 3: Oh it's been around that long, And it.
Speaker 2: Was that The initial inaugural contest was also in southern California?
Speaker 3: Does it is it always in LA?
Speaker 2: Like?
Speaker 1: Do they just do it so everybody knows, like, oh, we got to go to LA. It's not like trying to figure out where it's going to be next year.
Speaker 2: But remember those are like the finalist right, so these.
Speaker 1: Oh, I'm sure it's like like like when you said the spelling bead. There's probably like at your school and then in your district or whatever it is.
Speaker 3: Can I go to line three? Here he is, Hello.
Speaker 5: Elliott, it's blind John.
Speaker 3: Hey, what's going on?
Speaker 2: Dude?
Speaker 5: Hey man? I was going to call you a Russell the Love Muscle, but I figured we should call you Elliott.
Speaker 3: Hey.
Speaker 1: Have you seen the Trail? Well you understand what I mean. Are you familiar with the movie Brailed or Brailed It.
Speaker 5: I am now because I called I was. I walked in from a meeting and I heard you talking about Braill's stuff and I called kristin real quick, and I'm like, I don't know if it was a passing comment that he made, but if you need the resident blindye I am here.
Speaker 3: I got to tell you.
Speaker 5: So.
Speaker 1: I watched this trailer for Brailed It and it is about a national braille competition that takes place in Los Angeles, and it is it is, And the cameras are on the kids and they're all eighteen years older, younger. It seems like most of them are younger than eighteen. It's fascinating. It is so good. I mean, the competition part of it is great. These kids pounding away on their brailers is the speed is crazy, what's going on. But then just like them being kids and running around and being blind doing their stuff, it's awesome. Like it's really really good. And you know why, you know it's got to be good because if it were in any way like off or something was wrong, the Library of Congress isn't gonna air like have a screen.
Speaker 3: That's how you know that it's good or at least accurate.
Speaker 5: Oh right, So the petition, it's been happening at the brailst in California and LA for like I said, or like Tyler said, about twenty five years or so. I actually know friends who participated in it. They do both the Braille competition for the writing portion as well as the reading portion. So it's both booth brail literacy in both ways. And just so you know, the the individual that called prior to me, there is other ways of getting braill to turn into print. Now, I have a computer that I use for work, for example, that I plug in or just you know, wirelessly connect to any printer and I can write in Braille. You'll send it to the wireless printer and they'll print it out in regular print.
Speaker 3: Hey John, remind me, remind me, were you ever cited or no?
Speaker 5: My parents say, I used to be able to see light when I was little, but I don't remember because I would always like run to the window and point out the window.
Speaker 1: Right.
Speaker 5: Usually that indicates to a toddler that or to a you know, a toddler that they can see light usually.
Speaker 1: But I don't remember any of that, right, So, But I mean, but like you've never like you weren't old enough to like, as far as you're concerned, you've always been blind, Like, yes, you may have run to a window, but you don't remember seeing anything. No, because I was just wondering, like for like, like if you would have been like ten or eleven, and can you type when you're ten or eleven?
Speaker 3: Yeah? You can now, of course you can't.
Speaker 1: The do you like when you type in brail if you had been cited?
Speaker 3: Do you see letters or do you see brail?
Speaker 5: So most of the blind people I know who are older or who lose their sight when they're young like that, learn to read Brail with their fingers because that's kind of what they want you to do. But I also know cited people who teach blind children, and they can actually read Braille by looking at it. And even what's more interesting to me is they can read it upside down. So if your teacher is sitting across from you at a desk, he or she can actually read what you're writing or reading for that matter, upside down because they're across from you, right, so they're not looking the same way you're looking in terms of the way you say.
Speaker 1: But I just took I have a piece of paper sitting in front of me, and I just turned it upside down and I'm reading it just fine.
Speaker 5: I did you know, side of people amaze me every day. I didn't know you to do that. I also will say this, Elliott, when I go into an elevator.
Speaker 3: Hello, I do not.
Speaker 5: I don't do that. I think it's all a matter of it's all a matter of learning how to fake being sided. I've been around side of people my entire life, right, I work with side of people. I'm in organizations with sided people. So well, yeah, just because.
Speaker 1: You're blind doesn't mean you can only get to hang out and be around blind people.
Speaker 5: Right well, But the thing is, I've learned also all the mannerisms aside of people. So like when I go into an elevator, I don't say hello when I walk in h one because it could be empty, right Like.
Speaker 2: Like then who would know nobody?
Speaker 5: Well, and I would just but see I can usually hear who's in there anyway, so I don't have to say, you know, hello, just to see if anyone's in there, because I'm usually paying attention enough to know. And even things like hand gestures and head nods and things like that, like my wife tells me all the time, like I make the same kinds of hand gesters when I talk, and you know, things like that side of people.
Speaker 1: If you're not on the elevator, I would say something to you because you have a goddamn dog.
Speaker 5: Or okay, yeah you know, or yeah, like I mean, some people don't. Some people are grumpy in the morning. You ever trying to come, you know, in the office at seven in the morning, there are some grumpy people that don't want to say anything to you anyway.
Speaker 3: So I asked, what is it? Is it an etiquete question? Is it?
Speaker 1: If let's let's say I'm in the elevator first, right, and and and you and then I go up a couple floors ding and the door opens and a blind person gets on, but they don't say, you know, hello or nothing like that as etiquette?
Speaker 3: Do I do?
Speaker 1: I say hi? So they know that I'm in Like what what am I? As the sighted person who can tell they're in there? Do I say something like hey?
Speaker 3: Man?
Speaker 5: I guess it depends on how friendly you want to be. I mean, people just don't want to be fundly, So.
Speaker 2: I guess my question that could be asked of anyone getting into an elevator.
Speaker 3: No, and I'll tell you why.
Speaker 1: Because let's say, let's say Diane's on the elevator and I get I get on the elevator. I could see Diane's on the elevator. She can see I'm getting on the elevator. I know that she's on the elevator. We don't have to talk because whether we're just not going to talk, Diane's grumpy, or whatever the case is. But if a blind person is getting on the elevator, they don't know I'm on the elevator, I feel like I should tell them I'm on the elevator.
Speaker 5: I mean, just a basic greeting is fine, right, Well.
Speaker 1: Yeah, No, I'm not gonna say hey, I know you can't see me, but I'm here.
Speaker 2: Or maybe you make a habit of just a brief hello, no matter who.
Speaker 3: It is, why would I do that. If Diane's looking at me, I'm gonna say hello, yes, hello like that. No, but people people don't always you're.
Speaker 2: Gonna do that me. Yeah, I'm not saying to anybody.
Speaker 3: I'm saying hi to a blind person if they got on.
Speaker 2: No, I treat everyone the same.
Speaker 3: Boo I feel like I would.
Speaker 1: I feel like I would say hot, like just just to alert that, not alert them because it makes it sound like stranger danger, but just to no.
Speaker 3: But just to be like, hey, just so you know.
Speaker 1: There's somebody, somebody, there's somebody else in here.
Speaker 3: Yeah, like not not again, I'm not dangerous or nothing.
Speaker 2: I'm just letting you know here so you don't startled.
Speaker 3: Yeah, the same way you would want to know I'm there.
Speaker 5: And uh, we'll quick. I guess I can go back to Tyler's question earlier that there were there are more than six keys on a brailer. Brailer, so h, there are only six keys that make the different rail letters. Different combinations of those six keys make different letters, numbers and punctuation and stuff like that. But then the other keys on the brail. The brailer is the space bar that's in the middle. And then if you look, I don't know how post the camera looks, but on the left and the right there's these things that look like I would say a lever. There's like a little circle thing and one of those things makes the paper go down, and then the other one makes the you're a cursor or your your backs. It basically makes it backspace. So those were the or those are the nine well actually wait six, yeah, those are the keys that are on the railer that you.
Speaker 3: Don't even know by the way, you know, what would suck?
Speaker 1: Like sometimes John, I don't know if you ever do this, but sometimes, like if I'm typing, like I'm on a real keyboard, if I like go to backspace, sometimes I hit it once or twice too many. If you guys do that, you mess up the whole word. You know, you can't see where it is.
Speaker 5: We can feel the where the cursor is or the brail cursor is, so we would know. The problem though, is with the brailer you can't really erase like you would on a regular you know that document, So you either have to erase it sort of using a little thing called a brailer erase, or it's a little wood piece with a.
Speaker 3: Little it flattens out the dogs exactly.
Speaker 5: But the problem with that is it doesn't quite erase it though, so you're just kind of I guess it's the most equivalent thing I could say, the side of people using white out. You know, you can tell someone used white out right, So it's the same thing there. It looks kind of smudgy.
Speaker 3: Gotcha, gotcha? All right, I think I got everything else nailed.
Speaker 5: We should go see thet I'm actually going to check out documentary because I haven't heard of this yet. And in terms of the Library of Congress screening it, the Library of Congress has a big program called the National Braille Press, and they produce books for the blind, you know, in braille and on audio format as well. So blind people are able to rent books and and you know, just like you will go to the library. It's basically our library, right, so there's tons of books and stuff that you can get from there.
Speaker 3: That way, good deal. Hey, check out the trailer. It's awesome.
Speaker 5: Yeah. Where's airic?
Speaker 4: Just so I know?
Speaker 3: YouTube?
Speaker 5: Oh sweet?
Speaker 3: Okay, all right, very good, very good. Well they can get to YouTube.
Speaker 4: I don't say that they, I'm sorry.
Speaker 3: Blind people can get to YouTube.
Speaker 7: Doors open to an empty elevator.
Speaker 3: Hello, the best part? Can I go line too, I'll go quick, I'll go quick. Hi, elliot in the morning? Is this me?
Speaker 5: Yeah? Hi?
Speaker 3: Who's that? Oh?
Speaker 1: Hi?
Speaker 8: I'm not gonna say my name.
Speaker 1: Well, Christy, okay, great restraint, way to type.
Speaker 8: I have no self control. I'm a certified Brail list and I listen to you guys every morning, and you guys racked me up. I'm sorry when you talk about blive people, what the.
Speaker 3: What is what is a certified?
Speaker 5: Are?
Speaker 3: Are you blind?
Speaker 8: No?
Speaker 6: I'm not so.
Speaker 8: I was just listening and I can. I can read brail by sight. I produce all the brail for Howard County in Maryland.
Speaker 3: Wait, you produce all of the brail?
Speaker 8: Yeah, I mean it's it's a lot, but it's not as much as it sounds.
Speaker 1: But like, I'm like just just reading materials, like they don't come to you and go like, hey, new building with elevators, you need to do all the brails?
Speaker 3: Like you don't do that? I could. Oh wow, yes, hey can I ask you this? How did you? How did you end up in that job?
Speaker 8: I dated a guy in high school and his mother was the around the Braill Department as a round school for the blind. So when we broke up, I still kept in touch with her and she got me the job right out of high school. Was older, now so.
Speaker 3: Was he Was he blind?
Speaker 8: No? No, her father was did a whole bunch of stuff for the blind. None of them were blind. We're all sited I got YOUA.
Speaker 3: I got YOUA.
Speaker 1: That's fascinating though, good for you, good for you. The how long have you? How long have you been doing it?
Speaker 8: That was Matt twenty five years?
Speaker 3: Wow?
Speaker 8: Wow, Hey, I haven't done this the whole twenty five years.
Speaker 3: But I got you. I got you. Well, that's awesome. Had you had you heard of brailed it before?
Speaker 8: No? No, I so you can find it on YouTube. I just heard, but I messaged my boss, so I'm going to tell my coworkers about it.
Speaker 1: Hey, just real quick, did you when you messaged your boss? Did you tell your boss?
Speaker 5: Hey?
Speaker 3: I heard this on Elliot in the morning.
Speaker 8: Not this time, but I know what it worked.
Speaker 1: You know what? This is why, this is why we don't know because you know what, if it was something bad, you'd be like, oh, you know what I heard on Elliott, and then everybody goes, well, of course they're disgusting animals.
Speaker 3: But if you.
Speaker 1: Weren't here the people in charge, excuse me, hello, the people at Howard County, you can't go in there and go, hey, I heard something that's actually goddamn smart today and I was listening to the radio.
Speaker 3: That's why we never get credit.
Speaker 1: That's why we get credit for being garbage but not credit for being good.
Speaker 3: Maybe, all right, are.
Speaker 8: You doing your tan ship? Because I'm gonna say this and shut you down. I listen to you guys every day at work, and when you guys talk about blind people, I put it on speaker and we all listen and laugh, and you guys do say a lot and you give a lot of good information.
Speaker 3: Thank you, thank you, all right, I'll accept that. Hold on, yes, Tyler.
Speaker 2: And perhaps she's dragging from the concert last night.
Speaker 8: I'm on vacation.
Speaker 1: All right, very good, very good. I appreciate it. Yeah, go check out dude. Honestly though, go check out the trailer.
Speaker 3: It's awesome.
Speaker 8: I am all right, thank you, all right, very hold.
Speaker 1: On one second, in case I need a certified brail list. Hold on one second.
Speaker 4: You can just hey.
Speaker 2: Like I can. For that, I can, and I don't want to be an able list. And I can see into the future.