Speaker 1: The following takes place between eight pm and nine pm.
Speaker 2: All right, let's keep it roll. On eighth seven, seven hundred WLWRNL Carrier Sports Talk presented by Kelsey Chevrolet. I'm last McAllister Elder. Saint Next Division one Region four Final, Friday night, seven o'clock now at pay Corps. You know the story that's unfolded over the last twenty four to thirty six hours or so. Let's get perspective on this from the man who is the CEO of In Game Sports puts on the longest running high school football event in the country with the Skyline Chile Crossdown Showdown presented by Mercy Health. Completing his twenty eighth year this year. He's also, by the way, the commissioner of the g South, the conference for both Elder and Saint X. That must mean we're talking to the man they call chief. He is Tom Gamble. How are you?
Speaker 3: I'm good, lads. Yeah, that title sounds a lot better than the work that I did. It really does just about. But you know, it's funny you bring up the Skyline Chile Crosstown showed out because these two teams met in the Skyland Chiley Crosstown showed out at Saint X, and I gotta be honest, I think that's when Saint X kind of turned its season around. They went into the fourth quarter of that game losing sixteen to nothing, came back, made it sixteen thirteen. Elder went on to win twenty three to thirteen. But Steve Speck, the coach of the Bombers, four time state champ coach, We'll tell you he had Daniel Volmer, who's committed to Vanderbilt, playing largely defense. He since moved into offense, and they came back in that fourth quarter. Then the next week beat Louisville Trinity, obviously one of the Big six A favorites in Kentucky seventeen fourteen have won five in a row since. So I think it's He'll tell you the move of Volmer and just the maybe the matchuration first year starter Jackson Fry at quarterback, who was former Ohio State you know Greg Fry's son, I mean, you know, first year in the programs. So and An Elder has just been undefeated, first undefeated Ragular season since nineteen ninety one. And they were down twenty three to nothing last week in the third quarter to a really good Princeton team came back scored nine points in the final minute, one including an on side kick of seventy five yard TV pass and a twenty two yard field goal with a couple of seconds left to win. Thirty two to thirty one has the makings an outstanding well.
Speaker 2: One of the wildest finishes that I can recall a racing I mean, you could do an ESPN documentary on just the final couple of minutes of that game last week. Insane.
Speaker 3: Well yeah, and it's so weird because Princeton was down the week prior sixteen to nothing to Winton Woods and came back to win. Yeah, you're right, that on sidekick seventy five yard pass from Kaydene Step to Jackson Ruth and an Adam Ray with the twenty two yard field goal and insane last minute. But you know this Lance, this is GCL South football. It is I mean, you know the last time these two met in the region final was way back in two thousand and one. That was an X one X won that game and lost to Cleveland Sainty Nations in the D one final that year. But don't forget in two thousand and one that was when forty eight thousand plus showed up at then Paul Brown Stadium to watch Say Max beat Princeton sixth to nothing and Elder B Coleraine thirty five pointy one in the regional semi finals. I mean, that's insane, almost fifty and that was legit. I mean I was there. You know, sometimes you hear these numbers and you're like, yeah, right, okay, but this was the perfect storm. I mean, on Monday they put the tickets on sale. Everything as you well know, is done online now and within about an hour, seven thousand. It's for Nason High School, which is an awesome facility. We're sold, and you know, I think they were worried, you know, that the students didn't have a chance to purchase them, and so they and I'll give you know, and I don't say this much, but I'll give the County of Hamilton and the Bengals credit for a quick turnaround.
Speaker 2: That's let me draw on your expertise there, because I think people when they hear they made the mover, or they think initially, well, why don't they make the move? It's as easy as just moving the game to a different place. You've been involved in what you do in promoting and setting up these games, all the inner workings, it's not easy. Kind of give us the cliff notes version of how the wheels have to turn in how you do something like this.
Speaker 3: Well, first of all, you have to have the facility available, so you see, which is where normally it would be held at Nifferd Stadium, but they've got you know, the big new kickoff coming in. They play BYU eight o'clock Saturday night, so that's off the table. I do know that they reached out to Miami University, but people at were for Jager Stadium, great facility too, but people that understand you at this staff, to have gate workers, you have to have security, you have to have concessions, you have to have the ability to do all that. Miami of course playing right now in the Tuesday Max and they play next midweek, but I'm not sure they can galvanize the people. And then the same thing with now pay Course Stadium. I mean a you have to have, you know, at the county owned facility. And I heard Denise Treehouse, the county commissioner, say, you know, this is what this is all about, and letting schools like this play there and you know, she's got a little bit of an Elder connection, which is great. I mean, you know, but the reality of it is, you have to be able to get people in a really short period of time to commit to work in the game. That's not easy. Everybody just does why don't they hold it there? Don't The people need to understand too. With Mason, this is the perfect storm. Mason has hosted semi final games and region finals for D one for years. This was the perfect storm, unbeaten Elder, red hot Saint X two league rivals. You know, some years, Mason is big enough and people need to understand too. The school has to put in. They have to put in some time ago. Yes, we are willing to host, for instance, Trotwood Madison, which is playing in a region final. They're also hosting another division region final. So it's not that easy. You have to be willing, you have to have staff, you have to be committed. You know, everybody just goes, why don't they play there? Why don't they play here? It's not that easy.
Speaker 2: You mentioned you mentioned last week's game involving Elder. Let me flip it over to Saint X and they beat Moeler last week that's a heck of a Bomber's defense, is it not?
Speaker 3: Well, it's I mean it is really this is a great elder offense, kdey step who was the co GCL Offensive Player of the Year. He's had an outstanding season the junior quarterback. They got a good running back, Tommy Becker, Jackson Ruth dwide receiver. But I gotta tell you Lance led by Jacoby Klapper, who's the Notre Dame commit uh at for Saint X. Their defense who was a co GCL Defensive Player of the Year along with Derek Yuran on elder side committed to Virginia. But you've got Kobe Klapper, You've got Braydon Riley Clemson commit. You got Daniel Volmer playing more offense now but he's going to Vanderbilt. You got Aiden Reeder going to Wisconsin. I mean it is loaded with power five commits. Yeah, they've been really good. And you know they they won seventeen to thirteen over Moler and when they played during the regular season, that was a score at halftime and Mohler went on to Alscorn thirteen to nothing to win thirty to thirteen the first time they played. But no, this st X defense is really really good. Like Cody East came into their game in the postseason against Saint X with a prolific offense. St xelum to seven points. So no, this is again. You got these coaches. I mean, don't forget Lance Doug Ramsey, who's been an elder seemingly forever. Great coach, won back to back to the D one state titles in two thousand and two, two thousand and three. Then you had Cole Rain maybe one of the best teams ever in two thousand and four, then Saint X unbeaten in two thousand and five, two thousand and seven. You hang out with Rocky Boyman, he knows a thing or two about st X and it's defense. St X has wonted four times. In twenty sixteen, that's when they were five and five. They became the first D one team in Ohio high school history to go five and five in the regular season and win a state title, and then the COVID the regular season in the shortened year they wanted again. So st X has won, you know twice since twenty sixteen. So these are two great teams, two great programs, two great fan bases, two really good coaches and it should be a hell of a game.
Speaker 2: Cannot wait. Thank you Chief for the background and information you were. You were perfect in your role as g l C South Commissioner. GLC got first one you got. You got to get the initials. It's DCL. Yeah, you gotta start with that.
Speaker 3: I mean, that's maybe maybe we'll have you write that down on a sheet at a number of times. But I do want to I was told this by Elders Athletic Director Kevin As Butch, it'll be the normal parking like as if you're going to a Bengals can. The price will not be the same thing. It's ten bucks, but you know it's the same rules. You know you can only if if you're bringing a bag in. It's got to be clear all that it's NFL rules because it's obviously an NFL stadium, So just any policies there. Just make sure you're prepared for that on Friday night and hope that it's not a weather impact day with rain, right. Hope the weather holds up and cooperates, because this has the makings of a of another instant classic.
Speaker 2: So you I feel as though you left a little opening for me to jump in and pride you about local weather forecast. But I don't have the time to do that, so we'll have to save it for another time.
Speaker 3: You mean, like this morning with the fog, I mean, boy brutal. I mean because we all hang around down in valleys and by the river.
Speaker 2: I gotta go.
Speaker 3: Have a great night, Chief, Thank you. Appreciated already?
Speaker 2: Is Tom Gamble a