Speaker 1: Six eight in the Queen City of Cincinnati, chick Ludwig seven hundred w l W.
Speaker 2: This is sports talk like Eric Carmen and the Raspberries. We're going all the way to nine o'clock tonight. Now I'm gonna ask you to get involved. Let's have some fun tonight. I don't know about you, but the Cincinnati Acats are going to cause me to have a heart attack with a smile on my face. Of course. What a victory today chopping down number fourteen ranked the Iowa State Cyclones at Knippert Stadium, Brendan Soresby passing for two hundred and fourteen yards and two touchdowns, Evan Pryor rushing for one hundred and eleven yards and two touchdowns. You see getting a seventeen point first quarter and then hanging on for dear life with some great defense and some big plays on offense to beat Iowa State. Were you there? What was it like at Knippert Stadium today? The Wrigley Field of college football stadiums, fans, students pouring out onto the field, an incredible celebration going on at the NIP And how do you feel now about out Scott Saderfield what a turnaround, A signature win. Last week arguably the best of his career here in Cincinnati with the comeback victory over Kansas, and now today with you see snapping Iowa State's perfect record. What a victory it was. And it took every second of sixty minutes to win this game. You see ahead seventeen to nothing after the first quarter, thirty one to seven with just over a minute to go before halftime. But then Iowa State, with Rocko back to quarterback, they got to two for one. They get the touchdown at the end of the first half, touchdown to start the third quarter, and then i started getting nervous, but an incredible fourth down stop in the red zone on fourth and one, stopping rock O Becked and then Soresby with an incredible eighty two yard touchdown pass. But it still took recovering an on sidekick, and they still had the punt before the game ended. Heart is beaten like a big bass drum. Nineteenth nervous breakdown. Is this thing unfolds? But the Bearcats hang on and what a victory it was. You want to chime in five, one, three, seven, four, nine, seven thousand, one eight hundred. The big one. How about last night at the Pit Elder and Moler. We're gonna hear from Kurt Roffing Elder's print after the bottom of the hour news. I haven't seen a scene like that at the Pit Elder Stadium in years. I don't. I haven't seen a more intense crowd, especially as students ready for Moler last night credible? But how about the UC Bearcats. Hey, We're eventually going to hear from Bruce Kozerski, Bengals legendary offensive lineman. Bruce is going to join me tomorrow postgame Sports Talk nine to eleven PM in Northern Kentucky. We'll give out the site, we will give out the address. Would love to have you stop by Wings and Rings to hear and listen and watch the Chickster and Kazerski breakdown what we hope will be a Bengals victory tomorrow against the Detroit Lions. People are laughing at me right now when I'm saying Bengals victory over the Detroit Lions. But wouldn't it just be so NFL. I am not a gambling man, not at all, but if I was to put some money down, it would be on the Bengals tomorrow a double digit home dog. Are you kidding me? I not only look for the Bengals to cover, it will be so NFL so any given Sunday for the Bengals to win tomorrow. I do know this that if they put up anything short of a supreme effort tomorrow, even in a defeat, pitchforks and what do you want to call it? A march down to pay Court Stadium. I know I'm not going to settle for anything less than a supreme effort tomorrow because if they get blown out again by the Detroit Lions, it is absolute armageddon here for the Bengals and it will be a very very long season. People are already bailing at two and two. I don't understand it. Yes, the Lions are formidable, but the Bengals got just kicked in the teeth the last two weeks at Minnesota and then on Monday Night football in Denver. It was embarrassing. They cannot come out and play that again tomorrow night, four twenty five. Start all the coverage right here on seven hundred WLW starting at noon. What a crew gonna be an awesome day? It sure was an awesome day today at Nippert Stadium. We're gonna hear from Scott Saderfield after the game is interview with Tony Pike. When we come back. We're gonna have a fun night here talking Reds, talking Bengals, talking Ucy football, talking Elder Moler, and then we're gonna have some fun in the eight o'clock hour. And I'm warning you right now get your thinking caps on, because we're gonna play a game of a delightful game of reverse radio in the eight o'clock hour where callers, the loyal listeners that Chick Magnets, are going to call in and then I'm going to ask you questions and you're gonna give me answers. We're gonna have an awful lot of fun. Six sixteen in the Queen City, chick Ludwig, Sports Talk, seven hundred WLW. How about them Bearcats thirty eight to thirty over the Iowa State Cyclones, who are now five and one, Bearcats four and one and two and oh in the Big twelve on seven hundred WLW the.
Speaker 3: Bengals six point twenty one in the Queen City of Cincinnati, chick Ludwig, seven hundred WLW.
Speaker 2: This is sports talk all fired up over the UC Bearcats in their thirty eight to thirty victory over previously undefeated and fourteenth ranked the Iowa State Cyclones. And to me, the most critical play in this game came with seven forty to go, with Iowa State trailing thirty one to twenty two. Fourth and one at UC's sixteen yard line and rock O Becked stopped for no gain at Cincinnati's sixteen yard line, and then three plays later, eighty four yards later, the Bearcats are in the end zone on the deep and long touchdown pass and catch for the Bearcats to push that lead out to thirty eight to twenty two. Iowa State scored again, got the two point conversion you see, got the on side kick, couldn't quite run out the clock, had to punt, but you see, hangs on for a thirty eight to thirty victory. We've got a caller on the line, Connor in Cincinnati here wants to talk a little bit about my alma mater class of nineteen seventy two, the Elder Panthers, and how proud the Panthers made him last night. Hey Connor, what's up?
Speaker 4: How's it going?
Speaker 5: Check?
Speaker 4: It's uh you got Connor and Frank Lenmiller here on the line. Just want to talk about.
Speaker 2: The Panthers outstanding. What a game last night. I've never seen a crowd that intense.
Speaker 6: What a scene it was.
Speaker 4: I mean, and they're just elders, just aren't in everybody's respect. So it's uh, it's gonna be fun to watch. We got we got a lot of football in the future coming up.
Speaker 2: You know, when I hear homecoming, I'm thinking of you know, I don't want to say a Patsy, but you bring Moler in for homecoming? And what a night? Uh unbel Kayden Easta, the quarterback of the Panthers, What a game, what a gamer?
Speaker 4: Oh?
Speaker 7: Leaders all over the field, I mean yes, on the defensive end, you got Digg and you got your end, you.
Speaker 4: Got you got e Step, you got Ruth. It's just you got players all over the field.
Speaker 2: And I hear they've got a good defense, they've got good linebackers, they've got it, they've got it. Be awesome, got it Old Molar to sixteen points.
Speaker 6: Yep, it's gonna be Uh, it's gonna be fun to watch down the stretch. So we uh, we got high expectations every on this west.
Speaker 4: Side of town.
Speaker 2: And uh they could very well meet again in the state football playoffs, couldn't They?
Speaker 4: Absolutely absolutely, and it'll be Uh it'll be another classic.
Speaker 2: So man to beat Saint X last week on the road and then to come home and beat Molar Man. What what a couple of weeks here for the Panthers.
Speaker 4: Yep, untouchable. I mean we got Highlands next week. So yes, eat the ball, eat the ball.
Speaker 2: Wrong outstanding Connor Man. Appreciate the call.
Speaker 4: Absolutely check, I'll talk to you.
Speaker 2: Okay, all right, take care, Say hi to Pops for me. And yes, my Ohio State Buckeyes. And even though I went to Ohio State graduated School of Journalism nineteen seventy six, I'm a native of Cincinnati. I love the bear Cats. They're getting me as fired up as I do against when Ohio State's playing. And here my nephew and his wife, Mark Christopher Junior and lee Ann, his bride. They're in Columbus right now. They're gosh, they're at one of my favorite taverns, the outer end, getting all fired up for tonight's Buckeye game against the Minnesota Golden Gophers at Ohio Stadium. Gosh, I'm there in spirit, but I am so glad to be with you, the loyal listeners, and all the Chick magnets out there. Hey, Dick and Dayton is calling. Come on, man, lay it on me, buddy, lay it on me, Dick, what's up?
Speaker 8: Well, you know, you gotta say there, Kats are pretty good. You know, that's pretty good for them to be the team like this, you.
Speaker 2: Know, four and one, four and one, two and oh yeah in two and oh in the big twelve.
Speaker 8: Yeah, so you.
Speaker 2: Gotta love it.
Speaker 4: Yeah.
Speaker 2: Now they've got UCF Central Florida from the old AAC days. Yeah, coming into the next Man, they're loving these Saturday noon starts. Another one next Saturday.
Speaker 8: And you know another thing. We got to say something though. The Reds, I mean, gave it all they could and yet we went there. But yet we can build on this maybe for next year, you know they'll be I think they did a lot better. It would like we'd like to see it. But I've got a question for you, Chick. Yes, sir, you've covered the Bengals for years. Do you really think now tomorrow is going to be their test? But they're going to have to play good. But you don't want to go zero in three? Do you think that it's i'd know with Burrough gone, but do they have I think they got a chance. But what's your opinion on tomorrow?
Speaker 2: I'm going out on the limb and saying they win. I really am. They've got blown out and embarrassed the last two weeks. Now they're at home. They cannot play like that in front of their home crowd. There's going to be torches and pitchforks on the way down to pay Course Stadium if they lay another egg like they have the last two weeks. I want to see effort, effort at the very minimum. And you know what, Jick Dick, I'm gonna go ahead and say it. There's one word to describe the Bengals.
Speaker 9: What's that?
Speaker 2: Soft? They are soft. They are allowing running backs to get outside. They're allowing wide receivers to settle into wide open areas in the zone. Okay, Whereas on offense, every pass that is thrown by Jake Brown is contested?
Speaker 4: Yeah?
Speaker 2: Everyone, where where are the easy throws in first downs? So and then the penalties come and it destroys your confidence. And this team has to get its confidence back and I like what Ted Carris the Center said. They own it, they deserve the criticism, and it's time for them to step forward tomorrow starting at four.
Speaker 8: Well, have a good night, chick, all.
Speaker 2: Right, appreciate it, Dick, Thank you, sir By.
Speaker 8: Now, yeah, you're welcome.
Speaker 2: All right. How about do you see Bearcats?
Speaker 4: Man?
Speaker 2: Huge? Now I want to just refresh my screen here on some college football scores. Oh my goodness, there's six minutes and seventeen seconds left in the Rose Bowl and UCLA oh Ton four owen one in the Big Ten, has a forty two to twenty eight lead over the number seven ranked Penn State Nitney Lions. Are you kidding me? Florida unranked leads Number nine Texas in Gainesville twenty nine to fourteen. Number ten Alabama has a twenty to fourteen lead over the sixteenth ranked Vanderbilt Commodores. Notre Dame twenty one, the number twenty one ranked team in the nation. He has a twenty eight to seven lead at home over Boise State, number twenty four Virginia Man with ten minutes it's to go in the game, a twenty four to fourteen lead at Louisville, Oklahoma, fifth rank Sooners rolling at home against kent State, and some finals that are in number twelve Georgia over Kentucky thirty five to fourteen, and the Michigan Wolverines twenty four to ten over the Wisconsin Badgers. It's not looking very promising right now for the Badgers. Hey, we've reached the bottom of the hour break, it's news time. When we come back, Kurt Roffing, Elder Principal and CEO, is going to join us on seven hundred WLW. Welcome back to Sports Talk with your host Chick Ludwig on seven hundred WLW. Elder Stadium in West price Hill is one of the most iconic high school football venues, not just in the state, but in the nation. It's known as the Pit Elder's twelfth Man and last night it was rocking with an intensity, excitement in enthusiasm that I haven't seen in a long time. And it was for homecoming, the fifty fifth reunion for the class of nineteen seventy, and the Panthers delivered a twenty four to sixteen victory over Moler for the first outright GCL South title in seventeen years. And here to tell us about it, Elder Principal and CEO, Kurt Roffing. What a night Elder Nation won't soon forget. Kurt, Welcome to seven hundred WLW. How are you.
Speaker 4: I'm doing well? How are you checking?
Speaker 2: Oh? Fantastic? And what was it like inside that stadium last night? Kurt?
Speaker 6: Let me start off.
Speaker 9: It was crowded.
Speaker 6: The atmosphere was just unbelievable, exciting for both sides. Moeller and Elder. You know, what an awesome game for both teams, both schools to witness, and you know, luckily Elder came out on top. And it's going to be a fun week this week heading into Highlands that we play next Friday.
Speaker 2: And Kurt, I want to read to you a text that I got from my brother Dan, who was with his wife Jackie and many family members last night. He said, mister Ruffing's blessing, his address and prayer before the game was amazing. It set the tone for the whole night. It was a Catholic prayer that included respect for each other. It was beautiful, the weather, the atmosphere, the quality of play on both sides, the youthful energy, the love the community. I don't know that I've ever been so proud of Elder, what a special place. And after the prayer, they sang the Alma Mater, followed by the national anthem, So spiritual, so moving. So you said you were a star last night.
Speaker 6: You set the tone, No, chick, I appreciate that, but I know I'm not even close to a star. I had the privilege of being able to say the prayer before the games. You know, my predecessor, Tom Martin, he taught me, well, you know, as you said, we are a Catholic school, we will always be a Catholic school. And I'm honored to be able to leave the school. So no, I'm not a star at all.
Speaker 2: How about sixty nine folks jam into the pit and Brian Bill and I want to thank Brian for facilitating our interview here tonight. He was a great help today, he said. The only beverages left in the whole building were six diet Doctor peppers, the only drinks left in the concession stands. Incredible and sixteen over sixteen thousand unique viewers who turned into the broadcast on the Elder News Network with a Prep Sports Radio Net with the Prep Sports Radio Network. And that's fifty percent of the winner in spring sports totals combined, so a lot of unique viewers last night to the Elder experience. Kurt, Yeah, and.
Speaker 6: I'll tell you what our Enn Elder News Network, what our crew does. And when I say crew, I'm talking about the students and some of our staff, but our students are the ones that really put the show on. I'm at a birthday party for my wife and our friend's granddaughter. Anyway, my friend is he went to Elder with me, Saint Dominic. He now is in Cleveland, so they watched the game on n N last night and he was just complimenting the Enn program for how much of a professional production that they put on. And the thing that's very unique about this and for Elder High School is that our students do about ninety eight percent of the work. They're in the network studio inside the school building operating everything. Students are out on the field with the cameras, so what they provide our alumni and friends of Elder is unbelievable. It is the only thing I would have to say is I really appreciate everyone's tuning in, But if you have the opportunity to come to the game and support our school and the players in the stadium. That makes it even.
Speaker 2: Better, no doubt about that. In props big time to Kevin Spolidge, the director of athletics, and Adam Doole, the media production coordinator. And then just to play on the field. How about Caden east Step the quarterback twenty one of twenty nine, two hundred and eighty six yards, three touchdowns, two to Jackson Ruth, another to Chase Wolpoole, an unbelievable defense, to hold Molar to sixteen points, to generate twenty four, and to thread the needle on so many passes. Just gosh, it's just a signature win. Really, back to back at SAT next, then home with Molar, uh and then Highlands comes next. And this is just a phenomenal time for for Elder football and the high school.
Speaker 6: Kurt it is you know, during the school day, if people could be there just to witness the excitement, and you know, you take this football team, you can't say that there's only real superstars. They all play well together, they have level heads, and you know that makes it even better. They're all good kids. Yeah, you know, everyone loves to win, but it's even better with the kind of kids that we're producing when they graduate from Elder and go on to be successful in their lives. So you know, for us that's more important. But we'll take the win whenever we can.
Speaker 2: Our family, the Ludwigs like to say that the only thing bad about Elder or the only uh, You've only get to stay for four years and then you have to leave. But really, in all seriousness, you you never leave Elder, you know, with the with the purple blood that you have, uh, when you exit with a diploma.
Speaker 6: I agree, And that's what's so special about our alumni.
Speaker 4: Uh.
Speaker 6: They just they keep that Elder pride going. And you know, we celebrated our hundredth anniversary a couple of years ago and we're here for another hundred years.
Speaker 2: And I also want to give props to the other teams in the GCL South Moeler, Lassalle and Saint X. We like to say, Kurt Ruffing that we fight like hell in high school and then we become Bffs'.
Speaker 6: Our at where I live, our next door neighbor moved in about a year ago today. He went to St X, played football, went on to Vanderbilt, played football, and al as one of their freshman football coaches.
Speaker 4: His name is Nick.
Speaker 6: Lyle, great, great guy.
Speaker 4: We had a little.
Speaker 6: Side beck going on for the st X football game and gets who won. Yes, So he owes me a couple of diet cokes and we're going to enjoy those on my deck one night. But you're right, it's it's it's a wonderful league. The competition is awesome, but you know, when it's all said and done, after the games, we're all all good friends.
Speaker 2: And I grew up at the corner of West Ethan Rosemont, and man, I could hear the uh the public address system from from our house at elders Stone. It's carved right into the community. And I got to walk through the stadium every day going to school. Can't do that anymore, but oh it's elder Stadium. The pit is just it's iconic.
Speaker 5: Yeah.
Speaker 6: What makes it so nice compared to most other stadiums is there's no running track in between the field and the stands, so the spectators are right there next to the field, so you know, it makes you feel like you're in there actually playing with these guys.
Speaker 2: Man, you're absolutely right. And sometimes in the stands it's a little bit of a distraction, just watching all the people walk continuously around the stadium. But it's just such a unique place and gosh, it's got the Wrigley Field look to it with the homes and the porches really overlooking the home grandstands.
Speaker 4: Right.
Speaker 6: Yeah, so we elder now owns all the property behind the press box going down to the house that has the deck behind it. Yes, so you know, in our plans, the master facility plan that I just had completed, our our intent is to build a new press box and then all the property behind it will become a parking lot, so it'll make it a better.
Speaker 4: Experience for our fans.
Speaker 2: Wow, that's that's saying something. Man always looking to gosh, improve and expand and just and the programs that the school offers, now some even you know, because not every kid is going to go to college, and there's some there's some other things in the works. There other programs that that are offered to help kids get jobs.
Speaker 6: Right, I'm currently in my ten years principal. So about eight years ago we started a skilled trades program. Yes, and you know we offer right now we're offering electricity, so that's a true apprenticeship program. Welding through Cincinnati state auto mechanics, auto body, HVAC, plumbing, or carpentry and construction management with mes or Construction.
Speaker 4: So if a.
Speaker 6: Student comes to us saying, hey, I've got this interest in this trade, if we're not offering it at older, we're going to do whatever we can to make it work for that student, because you know, my feeling has always been not every student wants to go to college nor needs to go to college, and we needed to offer them a different path that we could provide them. So the Skilled Trades program has really really been successful. It's open to our seniors only, and this year our senior class is right at two hundred and we have thirty three seniors taking advantage of that.
Speaker 2: That is fantastic, Kurt, And hey, I really appreciate you carving out time here. You're at a birthday party and I know Doug. I'm sure Doug Ramsey has not come down to Earth yet and but yeah, he'll celebrate this weekend and probably starting tomorrow he'll start getting ready for Highlands. And I just want to congratulate you, your staff, the students, the football team, just everybody involved at Elder High School for just an incredible evening of gosh football last night at the pit.
Speaker 6: I agree, and Chick, thanks for having me and thanks for being a loyal a lum.
Speaker 2: All right, Kurt, Kurt Roffing, thank you so much, the elder principal and CEO of a great, great high school in West Price Hill. Thanks so much, Kurt, appreciate you. And this is seven hundred WLW Welcome back to Sports Talk with your host Chick Ludwig on seven hundred WLW. In the University of Cincinnati, Bearcats improved to four and one overall, two to zero in the Big Twelve with a thirty eight to thirty victory over fourteenth ranked Iowa State. Today and our very own Tony Pike caught up with head coach Scott Sadderfield after the game.
Speaker 10: Here they are, all right, coach, just talk about your messaging to the team in there. Here comes the fourteenth ranked team in the country. Very well, coach, very good football team coming in. You guys get to win. What's the immediate message to those guys?
Speaker 7: Yeah, I mean, I just you know, number one, I said, I'm proud of you because the preparation, because it really is the preparation throughout the week and our mentality we talk about our process that we do each and every day, and we take it one day at a time. A lot of times people say, let's coach talk, but our guys bought into that. They've done a great job of taking care of their bodies and mentally preparing.
Speaker 4: But that's how you you're.
Speaker 7: Able to come out and you know what a thirty one to seven ball game because our guys were fired up mentally ready to go play. And I think that was obviously the difference to be able to hang on and get that win.
Speaker 10: First half, you guys ran it for ninety eight more yards than what they give up over the course of a game. What allowed you guys to be so dominant on the ground.
Speaker 7: Yeah, I think it started up front with their guys. You know, they coming off the ball making some blocks and I tell you it's the best I've seen our running backs this year at tyle Wee Broke. I don't know how many tackles today, was really trying to run over their defensive backs. And Evan Pryor Man, he has a great hit a great game as well. So both our running backs I thought did an excellent job. I thought Sowersby hit some good throws early in the game to get you know, make some big plays, and completion percentage wasn't there. But I think their running game really, you know, really stood out. I think in that first half for sure.
Speaker 10: Second half you guys up nine running the ball, the third and long, you take a chance eighty two yard pass to Caleb Goody. What went into that play calling? Obviously the execution you mentioned Sowersby wasn't as accurate all day, but he makes the biggest play of the day.
Speaker 7: Yeah, it was a huge Well, you know, obviously we were a little stagnant, I think offensive in the second half.
Speaker 2: And rhythm had to do with it. They had the ball, I thought.
Speaker 7: Forever, and then we went to a run of penalties, you know, but I thought, right there we just needed another score. And you know, we saw man coverage right there. We had a play call that we've actually been running all year. It's been a really good play for us, and it happened to be man and we know Goodie on that on their safety was a good matchup for us. Thought Brendan the way a great ball. He put a lot of air under it and allowed Goodie to run underneath it. And the rest you know his history.
Speaker 10: You guys get Dante Corleone back on the defensive side of the ball, but they get a little momentum before the half and then they score the double dip coming out of the half. After that, your guy's defense was phenomenal, multiple fourth down stops. What changed? What was the adjustment that the defense was able to get off the field.
Speaker 7: Well, at the end of the first half, we were playing a little bit too loose coverage. You know, we were dropping everybody off. We're playing our safeties back because there wasn't much time left, just under a minute, and they had some some plays on us and got a couple of chunk plays. Next thing you know, they're down there. And then you mentioned they got a fourth down play. I think it hit two two point conversions today, and you know, the fourth downs were huge, and we got some timely stops today and we held them to a couple of field goal opportunities and this one, you know, But but I think overall, you know, the defense did enough to win the game for us. We had some big special teams play as well, two big returns to get it past midfield, you know, and we won the game. Even though you know, we had had that turnover, and I think that was a timely turnover for us. We had a good momentum right there on the plus territory. We had a good play and just bobble the pitch there on the option. But other than that, I mean, shoot, I thought we played outstanding.
Speaker 2: That's Tony Pike with University of Cincinnati Bearcats head football coach Scott Saderfield. Bearcat's now four and one overall, two and zero in the Big twelve. Hey, when we come back, we're gonna we're gonna talk some Reds baseball with the voice of the Class A Dayton Dragons, Tom Nichols. I hope you'll stay tuned. This is Chick Ludwig Sports Talk with Joe Waddell, tonight's producer on seven hundred WLWY.
Speaker 4: Seven eight in.
Speaker 2: The Queens City of Cincinnati. Chick Ludwig seven WLW This is sports Talk. We're going all the way to nine o'clock tonight and we're carving out some time here to talk Cincinnati Reds baseball. And we're bringing in the director of broadcast and the voice of the Dayton Dragons, our good friend Tom Nichols. Tom, thanks so much for joining us tonight. How are you.
Speaker 11: I'm great, chick, Thanks for having me on your show tonight.
Speaker 2: Oh you're welcome. Are you getting any rest from that long minor league baseball season?
Speaker 4: Man?
Speaker 11: I need some, that's for sure. We played one hundred and thirty two game schedule this year and that's a lot of games, not quite as many as the big league club when you talk about rest, Chick. We had a couple of late nights this week with the Reds being out on the West Coast in the playoffs, So those those were days where you tried to You went in the next morning a little bit tired, but things didn't go the way we hope, but good to see the team did qualify for the playoffs, of course.
Speaker 2: That's exactly right. And really three West Coast trips what like in the final month, so that that is really tough. It is.
Speaker 11: It really was a tough schedule. It seemed like you kept hearing as you got towards that final month to six weeks if the Reds have the toughest schedule ahead of them of any club. And of course I think the four games sleep of the Cubs was probably the one that in the end put them over the top, but hopefully they got some you know, some good experience out of what took place, even though the end results were not what any of the fans or any of the players wanted. But maybe it's a step forward in the right direction heading into next year. And they've got a lot of decisions to make between now and the start of spring training next year based on the free agents they have and also some players that maybe could play multiple positions on the field that they have to make some decisions on where to put them to stack up the best lineup.
Speaker 2: No doubt about that. Tom And And just looking back on the two games against the Los Angeles Dodgers, I really thought the first game was going to be difficult. They you know, they partied hardy on Sunday, and just two nights later here they're going into Chavez Ravine. I just thought the second game there, I thought they'd in a much better physical and mental approach to that to that game, and they did have their opportunities.
Speaker 11: You now, as I look back on it, I wonder if they've been able to clinch one day earlier and and not had to play that Sunday game against Milwaukee, and what at the time looked like a must wim situation. Of course, they lost that game but still made it because the Mets were shut out by the Marlins, but you had to use some people. And the Dodgers, meanwhile, they were able to prepare and and get their guys ready to go and line up their starting rotation, and the Reds weren't able really to do that. The Dodgers maybe had just a little bit more of a ability to get their guys rested and ready, and for the Reds it was just another extension of what was already a road trip to begin with. They were in Milwaukee and then had to fly to Los Angeles, and those West coast trips have always been hard for them. If you think back over the years, it's it's always been.
Speaker 5: A difficult.
Speaker 11: You look at the series they had with the Athletics, for ample, was a disaster and and that's not the first time that's happened over the years, and those are the tough trips for them. But again, the experience of playing in big games and and facing that kind of pressure, that's what you play the game, and that's really where major leagues minor league is the same thing. To be said, you developed my playing in big games and big moments, and you learn a little bit about yourself as a player, and uh, and you learn maybe how you stack up against some of the better teams and what you need to do to close that gap a little bit. And uh, you know, the situational hitting all year was a big problem, which was which was really a shame because they really prided on the fact that that was going to need to be a strength with situational hitting, taking advantage of your opportunities when you get guys in scoring position, get them in because they were not going to be a team that was going to hit a ton of home runs, so the situational hitting was going to have to carry them and that turned out to be a problem for a good part of the year. And so that's something going forward that they're really going to have to take to look at and figure out how to get more out of no.
Speaker 2: Doubt, and before we really delve into like the like the free agents that are common and everything, do you find yourself rooting for any team that's left alive here as you know, as the as the playoffs on fold here with the division series.
Speaker 11: Good question, Chick, Maybe as much rooting for as against in some cases, there are some teams I probably would prefer that they not be in the World Series, the Dodgers being at the top of it, as probably Yeah. And you know, when you're when you're a fan of a team that's in a small market by baseball standards, and you've got a payroll I think, what was it, something like one hundred and nineteen million, and the Dodgers were in the three fifty range and fifty million, So you just can't compete with that, and you've got to you know, that's Baseball's economic issue that's got to be corrected for for the fans, for the fairness of the teams. The other teams have salary caps. It's really a salary floor that we need more than anything. But to do that, you're going to have to put a whole system of revenue sharing in place. And so maybe this will happen at the next negotiating period, which is a year away. And I know that the Commissioner has talked pretty pretty aggressively about how much they do need to address the fact that you've got some team spending two hundred million dollars and more in excess of other teams and it's just really hard to compete, and it reminds you almost chick of a Now I came from a MAX school, so I can say this. It would it's it's like a MAX school that wins that conference championship and you're all excited and you go to March Madness and you play the number one seed and you lose by thirty points, and that's because you did the best you could do and and and that's kind of what it reminded me of a little bit. But nobody's going to give up, and they know no one's going to feel sorry for them, and you do what you can to try to close that gap and be better next year and keep taking steps forward and know for that to happen, I think one of the big things that's going to have to be part of it. And I said this at the start of the year, and I'll continue to say it. You've got to have players who are in essence, guys that carry your club when when you need them. In other words, you've got to have guys. When you look at the league leaders, you've got to have some guys all over the leaderboard. And I'm talking about categories like extra base hits, slugging percentage, home runs, you've got to got RBIs. You've got to have guys that you see their names all over the leaderboard to not have anyone on there. That might be a big credit to Terry Francona to be able to get what he got out of the team without having a true star player this year, and they still manage to win eighty three ball games and of course get some helping them bets to get into the playoffs. But you've got to figure out a way to have a star player for a small market team. That's a hard thing to do because you can't really it's hard to expect them to go out in free agency and outdid the Mets of the Dodgers for a star player. So you hope to get those players developed through your system. And of course they've got one coming up right now in South Stewart that I think has a chance to eventually be that kind of a player, that kind of number three year, number four hitter in your order that teams have to figure out a way to try to pitch around or just deal with. And he's got a chance, maybe hopefully and for the Reds to really ever become a team that can compete with the big boys. You've got to develop those guys like a South Stewart into a true star down the road at some point. If that never happens, it's really tough.
Speaker 2: Hey, Just to update the fans on the games going on, Like right now, the Phillies have a three to nothing lead over the Dodgers in the bottom of the second inning in Philadelphia. The Brewers have defeated the Chicago Cubs nine to three. In the Blue Jay have dispatched the Yankees here in their first game ten to one, and the Tigers and Mariners go tonight at eight thirty five. Souh. But anyway, just we will get to sal here in a minute. The uh, you know, looking at the unrestricted free agent lists here, Nick Martinez is twenty one million dollars is going to be, you know, finally off the board, it looks like. But there's Wade Miley, there's Emelio Pagan, zach Lettel Miguel and duhar uh and then some a mutual option here twelve million for Austin Hayes. That's uh, oh, that's a bit much. And Brent Soonter's got a three million dollars million mutual option, and there's also a I believe a club option out there on Scott Barlow. So you're exactly right, Tom Nichols. A lot of a tough decision to be made.
Speaker 11: Here, right, And those players that have options, just because you don't exercise the option doesn't mean you can't still resign the player. So a player like him Austin Hayes, I agree with you, that's a lot, probably more than he's worth to exercise that option. So he then just becomes a standard free agent, unrespected free agent, and you can at that point you can maybe try to see if you can come to an agreement and bring him back possibly if that's the direction they want to go. He gave them a lot of good moments this year. The guy I think, you know, there's a couple of guys on that list you just mentioned that are very interesting. I think Martina is probably gone. The reason is that he just doesn't fit what they need at a level that the salary is going to have to justify. So if he gets fifteen million a year, if you're a reliever making fifteen million a year, you better be a star closer. And that's not really the way the Reds like to use him. If you're a starter, you better be close to you better be a number probably a number two starter, And they really don't have an opening there for him that role. So but the guy, you know, a couple of guys I look at on that list. It's going to be interesting to see what they do with Andrew Harr. He's a guy that they picked up late in the just before the deadline from from the Athletics.
Speaker 4: They gave up a.
Speaker 11: Prospect to get him, and he really delivered big. I mean, that guy can just flat out hit. So I look at and I go, how much is he really going to cost to bring back on it? Maybe a one or two year deal. He's got some limitations. He's not a good defensive player. You can play him in left field. You probably could play him some at first base, but you really don't have a need for him to play first base. He's more of a d H type guy. But he hit what he hit for the Reds, like three point fifty or something like that in the time he was with the Reds, and so you know, maybe he's a guy you could get back for three to four million. Maybe I'm just taking a guest here. That would be a good economic bring back if he could get him there, because he was a middle part of the older kind of guy. And uh, it'll be interesting to see if they really want to do that. Again, he's got some limitations because he's not going to really help you as a as a defensive player, and he's not he's not a guy that you can use and expect him to do a lot of the basis he doesn't have great speed, but he can flat out hit. So that's an interesting decision they're going to have to make there is how much is too much? Uh, And and that's that's an interesting one. Emilia Pagan of course, also I think he made eight million this year. It make Bobby at least that you know, Tony Santion has shown that he probably is ready to take over that closer role. Codder Phillips I think showed that he could move in that eighth inning role. Bram Ashcraft maybe could could challenge for that also, hopefully or at least continue to be a seventh inning guy. You could probably overcome the loss of a Pagan if you thought that he was a little too expensive to bring back. And then you know, you talked about latel again probably going to be too pricey. Burns Chase Burns probably going to be a starter next year. See a rotation barring any injuries, is probably pretty well set with Green and Abbott, Lodolo, Singer and Burns. There's your starting five right there. So they may not bring let's all back. Who knows. Maybe they see it differently than I do, but I think I'm really looking at Andrew, Horror and Hayes and wondering how they feel about those two guys. How high would they go? And again, just because you don't exercise the option doesn't mean that you can't still go ahead and negotiate a deal.
Speaker 2: You're exactly right. And I'm eager to see what happens with the ret Louder and his health. And he's got to get healthy and see where he can be a part of this club because he's a tremendous talent and we never saw him this year.
Speaker 4: That's right.
Speaker 11: I mean, they've invested a first round pick in him, and he said, that's a guy. You need to be a star, not just a good player, but a star. And everything was point in the right direction. Then he missed the whole year with injuries, multiple injuries, nothing that would be too serious in terms of there's no surgery involved in tech. He's going to pitch in the Arizona Fall League, at least that's the plan at this point, and that would be good to see that happen and get him healthy, get him back on the mound, get some innings, make up for some lost time. And again, that's a guy you've invested a tremendous amount in in terms of draft capital. You used your first round pick on him. You need him to become a quality number two, number three starting pitcher. And so that by no means are you ready to give up on Louder.
Speaker 2: Tom Nichols is with us for a couple more minutes, the director of broadcasting and the voice of the Dayton Dragons, and we talk about Sal Stewart, what a spark he was when he finally got called up September one. He was a major reason why this team made the playoffs.
Speaker 11: You know, you've heard me talk about Sal for a lot long time because we had Salad Dayton, and I saw the skills south Stewart was not a player drafted where he was taken based on athleticism and tools. He was drafted where he was taken, which was supplemental first round, the picks between the first and second round, so somewhere around the I think thirty eighth pick or so, somewhere in that range. That's a high pick. That's a million dollars signing bonus or much more actually, more like two to three million. And he was taken based on baseball skills, which is what we like to see out there, a guy who actually can go out there and produce, and that's South Stewart. He's an extremely smart player. You saw his plate discipline. He struck out more times than you're going to see him strike out down the road in this short month or so with the Reds. He's not a guy that's got a lot of strikeouts, and that's something he'll correct. He is a flat out pure hitter, very smart player. As I mentioned, I asked him one time. I said, because it didn't take long when he out to Dayton to see that he had an extremely high baseball IQ. And I said, you had some great coaching somewhere along the way in terms of you know, his dad was a coach, but his dad was a basketball coach, so his baseball coach was was someone else, but he learned the game and plays the game at a very intelligent level, very aggressive, plays with a chip on his shoulder. And you know, I asked him one time, Chick about the fact that when he was drafted, the day he was crafted, everybody was saying he's going to have to move to first base. And Sal's attitude at that time was, those are people that don't know what they're talking about. And he is a lot more athletic than people give him credit for. He saw some diving catches, you saw some good defensive plays. Now he's not at Cabrian Hayes by any means, but he can play third, he can play first will I'm sure, even though he thought that was a terrible idea of moving the first base when he was drafted. If you said Sal, you can play first base in the big league, they'd say, I'll play first base. But where they put him next year is going to be a very very interesting decision because it's going to depend a little bit on who comes back and who and where there's a spot. I would say, in my opinion that if everyone came back, he's your everyday first baseman and you play Spencer Steer probably in left field or somewhere. Steers capable of playing a lot of positions, but South Stewart's the guy that I think is your future star. Get him in the lineup every day at one position and make him a guy that's going to lift you to that level someday down the road where you can you can compete with the big boys, the Dodgers and the Phillies and so forth. And Tom, that's want to be an interesting decision.
Speaker 2: It really will be. Gosh, thank you so much for your time. We've got to run. Really appreciate it and we'll catch up soon. Thank you. Tom Nichols, the director of broadcasting and the voice of the Dayton Dragons. This is Chick Ludwig Sports Talk seven hundred WLW seven thirty eight in the Queen City of Cincinnati. This is Chick Ludwigs Sports Talk until nine o'clock tonight. And my next guest is a Cincinnati Bengals offensive lineman legend, an offensive lineman legend for the Cincinnati Bengals, and he joins me as a co host tomorrow night Bengals postgame sports Talk at Wings and Rings, Crestview Hills, Kentucky. Twenty eight oh nine Dixie Highway. Come on out and meet the Chickster and my next guest, the one and only Bruce Kazerski. Cause how are we doing tonight.
Speaker 4: Chick I'm doing great, great, great to hear from you. Always nice to talk to you. You're crazy. You got some great fans. Let's get this going.
Speaker 2: Fantastic man, And I told the fans out there, we're gonna have some fun tonight. And Bruce, it's funny how one play can change a game. And I'm looking at the Denver Bengals game and the Bengals are driving. They're down seven to three of what a thirty plus yard passed the t Higgins, and all of a sudden, it's called back because Amarius Mims is just a little too far off the line of scrimmage, a penalty that refs never called, but it might be a point of emphasis this year. And it just seemed like at that point then the penalty started coming and the Bengals went right downhill. It was brutal to watch. And they've got to come back.
Speaker 4: To call that the Kansas City rule. They got a right tackle, who's off the ball every play? Yes, all right? And he's illegal because he's technically moving every play, and so if the league doesn't stop it, then it's only gonna get worse. That's the way the league works. It gets worse. Yes, And so we got one in a situation where he knew. You know what, I got no sympathy for the guy because he knew that that was going to be called eventually. Now guys get what they can. They still they want to get every advance they possibly can. Was he warned, That's the question. Was he warned that it's gonna be a penalty? Hey, you got to get up on the ball. I'm gonna call this. Because if he was warned and it was still called, I got nothing. I got nothing for him.
Speaker 2: Bruce Kazerski. When I think of the STEM and we're talking science, technology, engineering, and math, I think of you and the College of the Holy Cross in Worcester, Massachusetts. Man, Yeah, just an incredible career and using all that math as a head football coach at Holy Cross High School in Northern Kentucky. And Man, all I know is the Bengals have to give a supreme effort tomorrow because if they look like they did the last two weeks on the road at home here tomorrow, are we gonna see torches and pitchforks on the way down to pay Course Stadium.
Speaker 4: I can tell you don't look for sympathy in the NFL. Don't look for sympathy from anybody to let alone then Campbell under the Detroit Lions. They're gonna come in here and they're gonna put up every point they can possibly put up. They're gonna go for every fourth down they could possibly make, and they are gonna try to bury you. And if we're not up to the challenge, if our linemen on both sides of the ball don't grow up become men, it's gonna be ugly. I mean they're they're grown men, and they're and they're playing hard, but there's something missing. There's something missing, whether it's the coordination or the intensity, but there's something missing. Now you can call it Joe Burrow. You can say you can talk about Joe Burrow being being absolent, being missing, but but you know what, he didn't get any time, So why wouldn't we expect this guy to get any time?
Speaker 2: Yeah, Jake Browning, And if.
Speaker 4: You can't run the ball in this league, at any level, you got really no chance.
Speaker 2: I always thought that an offensive lineman loves to go forward and not backward. And don't you love to run block? I mean yeah, and you and I heard your interview. It was fantastic with Dave Lapham in the Trenches the podcast first our logistics and you talk about this being a mono imano in the trenches kind of sport.
Speaker 4: This it is. First of all, I want to congraduate day want a tremendous curve career and going into the ring of and honor fame. That's that's fantastic. Good for him. There's more, there's more guys, plenty of guys qualified, but he's he's certainly at the top of that that mountain. He's as he was a fantastic player, and he's there's no nobody else dies orange or or bleeds orange like David. He's just fantastic. I love he listened to him and he's a great friend of mine. But he deserves everything he gets now. In terms of absolutely, if you can't win your one on one battles, you know what I mean, You you can't double team in this league. They send enough bodies at the quarterback to make you block Manham. That's why they do it. Back in the day, they they'd rush three or four guys. Maybe they blit occasionally, but nowadays they're putting eight guys in the line of scrimmage. If you can't and figure out who's coming who's not, you can't. You can't do it, and you have to do it on a fly because they're sending a like I said, they're they're coming from all different angles and everybody can rush the quarterback anymore.
Speaker 2: And I'm seeing opposing running backs get to the outside. I'm seeing wide receivers settle into zone coverage, uh wide open, and our passes on offense, everything seems to be contested and towards the sidelines. So it's, uh yeah, you're exactly right. Something is missing. And I just want to see great effort tomorrow because would they be so NFL like if the Bengals pull the upset on the Lions, it would just be so.
Speaker 4: It would be it sho. I appreciate. I appreciate slowing the offense down early in the game, finding out what they could possibly do against you. Giving them yard is giving them yards. When you're get in the red zone, you hold and go Fieterbal. I can appreciate that for years, that's the way the game was played. But your defense is not matching your offense, and your offense is not helping your defense. I mean, there was a game not too long ago where we gave up more points than our offense than our defense did. Yes, and so what I'm saying is, and you know, I think the Bengals have to be more aggressive on defense early because their offense is struggling with so much Early. If the offense struggles and the defense plays safe and gives up yards after the yards after yards, offensually are going to give field goals or eventually they're going to give a touchdown, and now we're in the whole. I think the defense, I like the scheme. I think they're playing well times, but I think early in the game they need to be more aggressive and get after the quarterback and get after the running games. Sometimes these blitzes are run defense are run blitz. Yes, you can't sit in the l you can't sit there anymore and run a basic four man front, three linebackers and stop the run because there's too many gimmicks out there. You have to get after it and play the run in the backfield. And you know we've been playing it safe because Joe Burrow is gonna score a lot of points. Well, this is not Joe's offense anymore, at least not for three months. I hope he come back. I hope we're still in the race when he does come back.
Speaker 2: And you're right, because yeah, we're.
Speaker 4: In it when he does come back. We got a chance.
Speaker 2: And you're right, Bruce Kazerski. If you can't run the football in this league, you're you're in trouble because no team, no team that's passing forty and fifty times a game, is going to win.
Speaker 4: I can tell you, I can tell you right now that we were great pass blockers because we were amazing run blockers. That's the bottom line. If you look at the at the the three years that we were the best offensive line of football, it's because we could run the ball and you knew it was coming and you couldn't stop it. We put two forty on Seattle in the playoff game and they couldn't stop it. They had the lineman that Joe Nash laid on the ground to stop our running game on the third down. He wouldn't let us. He would pretend he was hurt. I know Joe from college. I was a Joe. That's embarrassing, he said, I know college, but the coaches telling me to do it because they couldn't stop our running game. They had no chance in our play action passes none.
Speaker 2: And Boomer was the best at that, that's for sure.
Speaker 4: He was fantastic. That. Yeah, it's not it's not just it's not just automatic. Boomer was great. Dam would stand twenty yards downfield behind our defense and he would tell us every day he said, if I can see it, the defense could see it. If it's it's not good enough if they can see it. So he would have is running over and over and over until a defense couldn't see the ball. Fake Bruce, that was perfection.
Speaker 2: Yes, yes, Bruce Gazerski played for the Bengals from nineteen eighty four to nineteen ninety five, twelve years and as a ninth round draft pick. Today, Bruce, gosh, you'd be an undrafted college free agent at a holy Cross.
Speaker 4: Be a free agent, got to be a free agent and getting what and what kind of look would I've gotten? You know? I thank God every day And Jim McNally has become a very close friend of mine and everybody that played for him. He is an amazing man. Jim McNally was our offensive line coach and you know, chick something you don't know maybe Mammy. Many don't know by Jim McNally, but he was. He was a college coach the year that Marshall plane crashed. He was the first offensive line coach hired after the plane crash. Wow, he was. He was on site right after the plane crash and he led that program back with his offensive toy and he did the same thing here. He drafted Anthony Munios was the first round pick. But you go down to the rest of that group. Bruce Reimers was a seventh round pick. I was a ninth round pick. Max Montoya was a sixth round pick. Joe Walters was a sixth round pick. And you know what, it's not where you're pick, it's how you play. He made us better. He made us better.
Speaker 2: And man, what are we expecting tomorrow? They've got two fantastic running backs, a quarterback that likes to throw the ball, just tremendous versatility, great balance, and we're gonna the Bengals're gonna have to match that and match their physicality.
Speaker 4: Because they can run the ball, they can throw it at anybody. You know, Amina Ross Brown is a great a great receiver they have. They have several fantastic receivers. But what makes them more dynamic is the fact that they have two great running backs and an offensive line as good as there is. Those guys know how to plow the road. We're coming through and you can't stop us. That right tackle. I'm glad we took Jamarches. Don't get me wrong, but that right tackle was worthy of a first round pick.
Speaker 2: Yes, then a sewell, no doubt. So, yes, he really is and hard to say what to expect, but to know going in that you are a ten and a half point home underdog. That makes me if I ever gambled, which I don't, I would put some coin on the Bengals, at least the cover. But it'd be so like the NFL toa have the Bengals win tomorrow because it's any given Sunday.
Speaker 4: Well you know, check the that's one hundred percent true, and you would expect the Bengals to cover. But my concern and I follow the lines a lot because one of their linebackers played for me at holy Cross and Covington. Derek Barnes, he's a phenomenal player. And I guarantee you Dan Campbell was telling those guys all the way long, this is the league where there is no mercy. We're coming after the Bengals. We're gonna We're gonna get out there and if we can score a hundred, we're gonna score a hundred and and that's just the way it is. And they have a firm belief that they can stop anybody, and they can put points upon anybody. And that's why they're gonna compete for a world championship this year. That's how good they can be now. And the Bengals match that intensity tomorrow. Can the offensive line play good enough tomorrow to give the quarterback a chance to throw? Can they block some running plays, give them some room to run. That's gonna be the challenge. That's gonna be the challenge.
Speaker 2: Yep, because they've got to get Chase Brown going, there's no doubt, because he's a.
Speaker 4: Hundred yards in five games or four games.
Speaker 2: Oh yes, brutal, and then it's going.
Speaker 4: I'm I'm praying for this team. I love the Bengals. I love the organization. I hope they do well. It's exciting when they win. It's you know, water cooler fodder. You know, every time they win, you talk about the Bengals all week long and the week goes faster at work. But right now they got to play better because they don't have an easy game on the schedule. It's the NFL. Everybody's good.
Speaker 2: When you win, that week goes by like three days. When you lose, it feels like two weeks.
Speaker 4: It feels like two weeks. It really does, no matter what job you have, No matter what job you have. If you're a football fan, you know the years, for years and years and years, and when the Reds were bad, you'd say, God, I can't wait the football season start. Well now, actually the Reds made the playoffs, so you're excited a little bit now they lost, But the Bengals are. They just got to prove something this week. This is a statement game. They got to come out and prove something this week.
Speaker 2: No doubt, because they've got talent. There's no doubt. What bothers me is watching a little bit of film and seeing a three man Denver front and the two defensive ends meet at the quarterback with a three man front, just a three man rush, and the two the two defensive ends meet at Jake Browning blowing right past the offensive tackles, and well, I hate to say a team is I hate to say a team is soft or the Bengals soft.
Speaker 4: If you draw an X in the backfield and say our quarterback is going to be standing right here, come and get them. They're going to get them. Whether they rush three or four guys, they're going to come and get them. If you move your quarterback different spots, the run action passes, the play action pass. But how does the run action work or a play action work when there's no running game?
Speaker 2: Yeah?
Speaker 4: Ib you go for a third and one in shotgun?
Speaker 2: Yeah, where you got to run ten yards to get to the line of scrimmage.
Speaker 4: Yeah, yeah, you can't. You can't. There's too much patrations. You can't people long enough to not tackle him in the backfield. Yeah.
Speaker 2: A lot to look forward to tomorrow to watch and listen. And then we're on at from nine to eleven o'clock. Wings and Rings normally closes at ten on Sundays, but they are staying open for us in Cresview Hills. Come on out meet the Great Bruce Kazerski twenty eighth nine Dixie Highway, Say hi to the Chickster and get Bruce Kazerski's autographed tomorrow night, nine to eleven, and we're gonna have some fun. We're gonna break it down like a wrecking ball.
Speaker 4: I'm so excited to be there. I can't believe it. You know, I got things going during today. My grandson's a baseball player. I'm gonna watch get home in time to watch the Bengals game. I hope they win. They will have a whole bunch to talk about. Exciting and AR will have a you know, we'll have to have a beverage and say, hey, chick this goouna be a long ear buddy.
Speaker 2: Oh absolutely, And we will break it down like a wrecking ball and we will be running through walls with snot bubbles for Jimmy Anderson.
Speaker 4: Yeah. We we just hope we can be complimentary. Yes, that would be ultimate, the complimentary. They played great today, they won the game. It'd be a great team, fantastic we're on the road. That'll be great.
Speaker 2: Huge, absolutely huge. Bruce, You've been kind with your time. Thank you so much and look forward to working with you tomorrow night.
Speaker 4: Yes, sir, see tomorrow.
Speaker 2: Appreciate you, Thank you. Bruce Kozerski twelve years a Cincinnati Bengal on a great offensive line that made the nineteen eighty eight Super Bowl. He played for the Bengals from nineteen eighty four through nineteen ninety five on a great, great offensive line with Anthony Munoz, Max Montoya, Bruce Rymers, Joe Walter. Awesome. This is Chick Ludwig Sports Talk. Get ready. After the top of the hour news, the popular game show known as Reverse Radio Callers will call in the Chick Magnets. Are you ready, the loyal listeners. You'll call in and I will ask you questions. At five, one, three, seven four nine, seven thousand, one, eight hundred the Big One Chick Ludwig Sports Talk with tonight's producer Shoeless Joe Waddell on seven hundred WLW, eighth nine in the Queen City of Cincinnati. Chick Lugwig, seven hundred WLW. This is Sports Talk. Joe Waddell is tonight's producer. We are going all the way to nine o'clock tonight right here on the Big One, and I promised all the loyal listeners of seven hundred WLW, the Big One and all the chick Magnets that we were going to have some fun tonight. And the fun starts right now with the popular game show known as Reverse Radio, where the callers call in at five, one, three, seven, four, nine, seven thousand, one, eight hundred the Big One and I ask you questions, and we start tonight with Lincoln in Covedale. Lincoln, Hello, check, fantastic. Are you ready for Reverse Radio?
Speaker 9: I absolutely am, and check if you don't mind. Two very good friends of mine asked me to say hello to you. You're cousins Julie and Jennifer.
Speaker 2: Oh that's awesome. Hey, I really appreciate that.
Speaker 9: Okay, well, I told him I've been calling in and they said, just ask me, would you talk high?
Speaker 2: Fantastic? Please tell them I say hello too.
Speaker 4: You got it all right? Love.
Speaker 2: Oh my gosh, my dad was one of thirteen. So I've got cousins, nephews, nieces all over the place. Fantastic, wonderful. Okay, are you ready for the first for your question?
Speaker 9: I'm ready.
Speaker 2: If you could have an all expense paid and a ticket to any sporting event in the world, what would it be? And why?
Speaker 9: Oh, any trip all spender's paid one ticket.
Speaker 2: Or two tickets, you can take a guest. Yeah, where would you like to go?
Speaker 9: Or two tickets? Well, check you out from on the West Side. And I love baseball and it would be to the world to a World Series game with me and my wife.
Speaker 2: How about a game seven World Series?
Speaker 9: That would be it fantastically and preferably the Reds.
Speaker 2: No doubt, no doubt about that. Fantastic stuff. Lincoln, appreciate you.
Speaker 9: Well, I appreciate talking to you, and I'll talk to you next time.
Speaker 2: Fantastic Lincoln, Thank you so much. All Right, Sue is on the line. Me, Sue, how are you.
Speaker 12: Well, I'm doing fun, but I'm sort of got TV on and you so pop the question. I'll see if I can answer it.
Speaker 2: Okay, Well, I know that you are a Cincinnati fan, okay, sports fan.
Speaker 5: Mh.
Speaker 2: You love the Reds and I would imagine and I would imagine you like the Bengals.
Speaker 12: Well, yeah, but I'm more uh curious with the Reds the Bengals just as long as they win. And you have a good outing over in Elsmere, Kentucky.
Speaker 2: Well, it's in Cresview. Hills tomorrow from nine to eleven.
Speaker 4: PP.
Speaker 12: Well, there's so many Okay, I'm ready.
Speaker 2: All right. Would you prefer a World Series championship for your Cincinnati Reds or a Super Bowl title after three losses by the Cincinnati Bengals.
Speaker 12: Well, I guess since the Reds did lose, I'm not. Hopefully the Bengals do get to the Super Bowl, but they've got to watch the number are games that they lose now and also why, I'll tell you one thing. I'm very disappointed at Chicago loss today. That's that's my act question and answer. Either or I'm disappointed in the rest because I stayed up almost till twelve thirty and one o'clock.
Speaker 2: You're a loyal fan, all right, Sue, Hey, appreciate you.
Speaker 12: You're tired today, but anyway, take care.
Speaker 2: Okay, thank you very much. Awesome, Okay, all right, bye bye. Now, Hey, we've got Grandpa Mike on the line from the gem city of Dayton, Ohio. How are you, Grandpa Mike? How are you sure?
Speaker 5: Sory? Are you doing buddy?
Speaker 2: All fantastic?
Speaker 5: I'm doing great. I'm sitting up here at Deeds Park right by the founds here in downtown Dayton and joint life.
Speaker 2: Wonderful, wonderful. So you're doing good, amen, I'm on.
Speaker 5: The air having related seventy first birthday.
Speaker 2: Oh, thanks so much. Yeah, approaching seventy, approaching seventy.
Speaker 5: Yeah you're July, Yes, sir, Mine dog Mine's August twenty seven.
Speaker 2: Oh fantastic. All right, are you ready for your question? Grandpa? If you could have, if you could hang with any athlete for a day, present or past, who would it be?
Speaker 5: Oh?
Speaker 2: Man, that's tough hang with any athlete.
Speaker 5: Oh, come on, chick, I've seen I've met a lot.
Speaker 4: Of guys in my life.
Speaker 2: Yep.
Speaker 5: And you may remember I talked to like guys. I got guys or in Dragons now double at play, I still talk to Hunter.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 5: Oh, man, I knew unitis. Any athlete I could hang with for a day.
Speaker 4: Yeah, man.
Speaker 5: Muhammad Ali.
Speaker 2: Quick story about Muhammad Ali at the nineteen ninety nine Super Bowl in Atlanta. Okay, you made him no, no close? Okay. At the nineteen ninety nine Super Bowl in Atlanta, naturally, the night before the game, everyone's out at dinner, come back to the team hotel and the media center, and luckily I'm wearing my credentials, okay, because there's yellow caution tape, police tape all over the place around the media headquarters. Okay, So I get inside, work my way down to the media romee and off in a corner watching tell Vision in front of about anywhere from fifty to one hundred sports writers and broadcasters sitting on a couch is Muhammad Ali.
Speaker 4: Wow.
Speaker 5: That would have been awesome.
Speaker 2: Man, just to be there. Yeah, just being there and just watching him, you know it was. It was awesome. Yeah, and that's why so cool. There was security everywhere, yes.
Speaker 5: Yeah, And I'd love to talk to you about some red stuff, some of the ideas I have, but I know you don't have time for that. You get your show to do, you know what. Lay it on me, all right, Uh they need to Uh okay, you know me being here dating every work at stadium, I'm still at bricks and all that. And I talked to these guys. I talked to John Michael Fail, I still talk to Ruben Jay, Allen cam Collier. I don't talk. I don't talk to the guys in the reds Ofphine because they got okay, they got you guys and all the other media they don't need an old man like me. Now, boy, wasn't the media doing broadcasting, I'd be questioning them like crazy. But anyway, yeah, but anyway, Uh, they gotta make some trades. They guy, they they have so many and I've seen it in the past four or five years. They have so many of the same type player. Look at a ball, double a triple A. Uh, he was the majors. They got guys they can plug in and might do well for a while, but they don't have that outstanding guy rage just jump in.
Speaker 2: You need that difference maker.
Speaker 5: But you got guys that have potential to be really good ballplayers, so you trade some of them. They got, they got so much talent. Their farm sits and believe it or not, they told no one to the playoffs. Chat Neuga w into the playoffs. The Dragons won eighteen of the last nineteen games this year. Yeah, and Louisville they were like ten twelve games under five Blarner. But that's fine. But they had people going back and forth all the time. You never know who you're playing with, right right, Yes, you really don't. But they make some trades. I put Ellien Center, Ellien Center. It was Freedo left, leave Marte and right. If you going to keep McLean, move him to short. I don't care if he had two hundred. Remember growing up in Baltimore, I remember when Mark Lelanger played short for the Orioles. It was a two twenty hitter. Yeah, the guy was a great defender and he had many great times where nobody expect him to come through.
Speaker 4: But he did.
Speaker 5: And that's that's McLean. That's McLean.
Speaker 2: Well he needs a bounce back year, that's for sure, and hopefully he can get it. And Mike, I got a run. I appreciate you.
Speaker 5: Man, I appreciate it. Buddy, you'd be safe.
Speaker 4: And you're Dayton.
Speaker 5: Come see me at bricks. I'm there most of the time.
Speaker 2: All right, thank you.
Speaker 5: I'm the mascot, theren Now.
Speaker 2: Oh fantastic, Thanks so much man. Bricks Bricks Ice Company right across from uh Day air Ballpark in downtown Dayton. Great place. Sure, it's a great day. Thank you you too. Hey, we'll be back with more. It is reverse radio. The caller calls in and I asked the questions chick aloudwig seven hundred WLW. They give it to prior. A huge hole opens up, He's ready.
Speaker 13: For the m tone touchdown Bearcats.
Speaker 2: That's Dan Horde on the Bearcats Radio Network right here on seven hundred WLW Evan Pryor going for a touchdown thirty yards and that got the Bearcats started on their way to a thirty eight to thirty victory over the number fourteen ranked Iowa State Cyclones. And we are playing the popular game show Reverse Radio, made popular by the voice of the Cincinnati Bengals and the UC Bearcats, Dan Horde. And I'm turning to tonight's producer, Shoeless Joe Waddell. Joe, are you ready? How are you doing? Chick fantastic? All right? Four players Joe in Major League Baseball history have hit seven hundred home runs or more? Can you name them? Barry Bond's got me number one? Right? He is number one? Yes, So let's see you got Barry Bonds.
Speaker 14: Hmm oh Babe, Ruth, duh, yes, Barry Bonds, Babe, Ruth. Let's think here, we think of more modern or old school?
Speaker 2: Old school? He is deceased. The next one on my list here that wouldn't happen to be one, Henry Aaron what it? Yes, it would Barry Bonds is first at seven hundred and sixty two Hammer and Hank Aaron is second. It's seven fifty five. Babe Ruth is at seven fourteen. Can you name the fourth Major League baseball player two hit at least seven hundred home runs? I'm gonna cheat again, and we think of modern or old school? He recently retired, but pretty modern. He'll be headed to the Hall of Fame on a first ballot, first ballot, Hall of Famers. And here's a clue. Here's a clue. Saint Louis Cardinals and the Los Angeles Angels. Oh, Albert Pooles, stuh, you got it?
Speaker 14: Alb Pools, Yeah, that dude, Oh my god, Yes, I can't believe I didn't get that sooner.
Speaker 2: A monster, a monster. And while I've got you here, now that the Reds have been eliminated from playoff contention, who do you like in the American League and who do you like in the National League to reach the World Series?
Speaker 14: To reach the World Series? Well, I'll start in the American League. I think this is the year. I don't know why, it's just a feeling. I think this is the year the Seattle Mariners finally do it. I don't know what it is. It's just someone's got me feeling Seattle out of the AL.
Speaker 2: You know, obviously cal Rawley's having a really special.
Speaker 14: Season, but they made a lot of really good moves at the deadline to add to their depth.
Speaker 2: I really like Seattle.
Speaker 14: The l's a little bit tougher, just because I think it's in general, a little bit tougher of a league.
Speaker 4: You know.
Speaker 2: Yeah, h you got Brewers beat the Cubs today nine to three, and the Phillies have a three to nothing lead over the Dodgers in the top of the third inning in Philly.
Speaker 14: I think normally I feel like you'd have to say the Dodgers, but their bullpen, even against you know, the Reds, really proved to be a weakness. I'm not sure they have the pen to get them there. I like Philadelphia, so I'm gonna go Philadelphia versus Seattle World Series.
Speaker 2: Okay, I do like the Phillies. That's who I'm rooting for because of one Kyle Schwarber, proud Hoosier, Yes, a proud Hoosier, Middletown's favorite son. I got to meet Kyle at a wedding reception in November of twenty twenty four, the most down to earth superstar on the planet. Believe me, he is amazing, just amazing.
Speaker 14: Walk past him at Kilroys on Kirkwood in Bloomington. I was didn't talk to him, but you know, still, you walking past someone like that, that's count for something, right, Yeah.
Speaker 2: And I didn't want to be that guy to you know, google overhim and everything. But I approached him at the bar. He got a soda and so did I and he I introduced myself. He goes, Chick, I know who you are, you know, So it was really cool and we had a couple selfies taken together. Just a phenomenal guy. And you mentioned the Seattle Mariners at ninety and seventy two. I've got to go with the Tigers because of John Warden, my great friend who pitched for the Tigers in nineteen sixty eight when they won it all. So great stuff there, Joe. Appreciate you, Yeah, appreciate you letting me hop on Chick Fantastic. Hey, it's Reverse Radio five one, three, seven, four, nine, seven thousand, one eight hundred, the Big One. Don't be afraid call in and I will ask you the questions. It's the Chickster Chick Ludwig with you till nine o'clock Sports Talk on the Home of the Reds and the Best Bengals coverage seven hundred WLW.
Speaker 15: Cats at their own eighteen yard line sort he catches the shot gun snap. He's looking to throw cloats at high and deep down for your stody with a catch, crazy enough forty thirty, twenty fifty.
Speaker 13: Down, five touchdown. There cat eighty two yards and it takes your one.
Speaker 4: No.
Speaker 16: Kennedy flags coun believable. What a throw from Brendan Soresby. He's been off a couple times today on that deep ball. Couldn't place it any better on that one. They took the aggressiveness of Iowa State, especially on the back end.
Speaker 2: The safety comes.
Speaker 10: Up good, he gets over the top, Soresby lays it up and the rest is history.
Speaker 2: What an unbelievable throw at the biggest moment in the game from Brendan Soresby. That's Dan Horde and Tony Pike on the Bearcats Radio Network today on seven hundred WLW. Is the Cincinnati Bearcats defeat the fourteenth ranked Iowa State Cyclones thirty eight to thirty at Knippert Stadium, and as soon as the clock time expired, students poured out onto the field at Nippert. Just a phenomenal atmosphere today on a beautiful day for football at Knippert Stadium. In the Bearcats win, and in that game you see led late first half thirty one to seven, but Iowa State got the double dip the scoring a touchdown on an untimed play with no time left in the second quarter, got the two point conversion, and then scored again on the first drive of the third quarter to make this a thirty one to twenty two game. And with seven forty to play, with the Bearcats nursing that thirty one to twenty two lead, U See's defense stops rock O Becked, Iowa State's quarterback on a fourth and one play at UC sixteen yard line was seven forty to go, and then on the ensuing drive eighty two yards from Brendan Soresby to Caleb Goody, giving the Bearcats a thirty eight to twenty two lead. Iowa State scores late, gets the two point conversion you see gets the on side kick couldn't quite run out the clock, they had to punt the ball and then on the final play of the game. I'm looking for Iowa State to start later, latering the football in an attempt to score, but the tight end ran out of bounds. Game over. You see wins thirty eight to thirty. You see back in action next Saturday at noon at home against UCF Central Florida and Hey, on this date in Red's history, October fourth, let's go way back to nineteen oh two, the Reds play what you would call a farcical game against the Pirates in Pittsburgh. Cincinnati players did not want to play because a morning rain turned the field into a quagmire a swamp, but Pittsburgh owner Barney Dreyfus, however, insisted on playing, and Red's manager Joe Kelly played most of his players at a position in retaliation, outfielders Mike Donlin and Cy Seymour and first baseman Jake Beckley. They were the pitchers in the game. While Kelly and Seymour casually smoked cigarettes on the field during the game, Pitcher Rube Vickers was used as a catcher in the game, and Vickers allowed six pass balls, which still stands as the modern Major League high for one game. Pittsburgh one eleven to two, and Dreyfus returned money to all the fans who had bought tickets to the game, and the embarrassed Reds president Gary Herman returned the Cincinnati portion of the gate receipts to Dreyfus, so absolutely crazy. On this date in nineteen forty, the Reds lose the third game of the World Series seven to four to the Detroit Tigers in Detroit, but the Reds go on to win the nineteen forty World Series. On this date, in nineteen sixty five, Dave Sissler is fired as Reds manager by Bill de Witt. The successor was not immediately named. On this date, in nineteen seventy, the Reds win the second game of the National League Championship Series three to one against the Pirates in Pittsburgh. On this date in nineteen seventy five, the Reds win the first game of the National League Championship Series eight to three against the Pirates at Riverfront Stadium. And on this date in nineteen eighty one, Mario Soto pitches a one hitter against the Atlanta Braves at Riverfront Stadium in the final game of the season. The only Atlanta hit in the three to nothing Reds victory was a second inning single by Chris Shambless. All happened on this date, October four in Cincinnati Red's history and speaking of Bill to Wit, who was the owner of the Reds back in nineteen sixty five, on December ninth of that year, he traded Frank Robinson to the Baltimore Orioles for a trio of players Milt Pappis, Jack Balchin, and Dick Simpson. Papus while end up going thirty and twenty nine in his career in three seasons with the Reds, DeWitt felt the club needed more pitching, so they acquired Pappus and Jack Balchin, and all they did was get rid of a perennial All Star in Frank Robinson because DeWitt called him an old thirty You've heard this story before. And all Frank Robinson did that following season nineteen sixty six was win the Triple Crown with a three to sixteen batting average, forty nine home runs and one hundred and twenty two runs batted in winning the American League Triple Crown and then leading He won the AL MVP that year along with the Triple Crown and also led the Baltimore Orioles to the World's Series. The absolute worst trade in Red's history and arguably the worst trade in baseball history. It's right up there. Hey, you're listening to Sports Talk with your host Chick laud Week and tonight's producer Joe Waddell on seven hundred wlwre.
Speaker 15: Receivers go out to the right, two out to the left, three down linemen for Cincinnati and everybody else back me but six seconds to go back. Throws short over the middle. Now one backward toss, so well has it? Throws it backward to a tight end. Framer runs up the field of the forty Hawk is hit zero. Framer runs out of bounds and off. Bearcats are victorious. The student section.
Speaker 13: Comes pouring out onto the field here at Niffert Stadium. It is not an upset, It is an uprising. As Cincinnati knocks off undefeated fourteenth ranked Iowa State by the final score of thirty eight to thirty.
Speaker 2: Dan Horde right here on seven hundred WLW with the call the final play. Dan just does a phenomenal, phenomenal job. It's that simple. It's not an upset. It's an uprising. How about that? That is fantastic And before we go back out to the phones and Tom and Dayton, please hang on for a second. Ohio State has charged out to a twenty one to three lead on homecoming night at the Shoe against the Minnesota Golden Gophers twenty one to three at the six thirty five mark of the second quarter after a Minnesota field goal, touchdowns by CJ. Donaldson, a one yard run, Julian Saying with a six yard touchdown pass to Jeremiah Smith, and then Julian Saying with a forty five four yard strike to Carnell Tate twenty one to three Ohio State. And I want to give a shout out to a gentleman by the name of Phil Renfro, my new BFF, the newest Chick Magnets baseball coach at Yellow Springs High School and they head girls volleyball coach at Yellow Springs High School. I was there with Greg King today this morning reffing JV varsity volleyball against the Tri County North Panthers out of Louisbourg, Ohio. Had a great time and when the scorekeeper said, your voice sounds familiar. Do you do radio and I said, yes, where WLW in Cincinnati, and she alerted the head coach and we had a real nice discussion. Phil Renfro, quite a guy multiple sports in the town that time forgot Yellow Springs, Ohio, home of Antioch College, that was all over the news during the Vietnam War. And they're still protesting the Vietnam War in downtown Yellow Springs with their tied eyed shirts. I absolutely love that town. Let's go out to the phones and welcome in Tom in Dayton, Hi, Tom.
Speaker 17: Hi, Yellow Springs. That's funny, But I don't want to be a downer. I'm very very happy you see one today. Yeah, but what bothers me is the students storm the field and it seems to be okay. I don't think it's okay that students storm a football field, a basketball field, a volleyball field.
Speaker 2: I'm not real wild about it. It's very dangerous. It is a very dangerous exhibition.
Speaker 17: Students, referees, the police. Yeah, I cannot approve that.
Speaker 4: Yeah.
Speaker 2: I just hope there was no damage done to the field, to the stands or whatever, and hopefully everybody's all right, because people get trampled when a field gets rushed and I've seen.
Speaker 17: It and that's my point. Yeah, yeah, I'll line up, but yeah, I'm glad they won, but I cannot approve students rushing the field any sport. All right, thank you, all.
Speaker 2: Right, Tom, appreciate your call. Thank you very much. I want to ask, and I know it's going to the reverse radio will work a lot better during the week. I know that because fans are out out and about on this beautiful Saturday, celebrating with family and friends or watching college football, they're watching the baseball playoffs, and I want to update some Major League Baseball scores for you. The Dodgers now have taken a five to three lead over the Philadelphia Phillies, erasing a three to nze in lead. I'm trying to find the yes. The Dodgers scored after the Phillies scored three in the bottom of the second. Dodgers scored two in the top of the sixth and three in the top of the seventh, and that's where it stands right now, in the bottom of the seventh inning, five to three Dodgers. Earlier today, the Toronto Blue Jays wiped out the New York Yankees in Toronto ten to one. The Brewers at home defeated the Chicago Cubs nine to three. Dodgers have that five to three lead over the Phillies and the inning in Seattle, the Mariners and the Tigers no score. So playoff baseball. There's nothing quite like it. And we saw that. The intensity of the crowd at Dodger Stadium, also known as Chavez Ravine, was incredible. You just heard a constant den in that stadium watching those games. And I didn't think the Reds were mentally or physically ready to play Game one out in La in the wild Card round, because they partied so hard on Sunday when they got in with the Mets loss to the Miami Marlins, I wondered how sober they were for that game. I just thought they'd be more mentally and physically prepared to play Game two, and really they were. And there were times in that game where the percentage of them winning was above fifty percent. When you load the bases in the sixth inning with no outs and don't score, that is just a crusher from a confidence standpoint. They loaded the bases again in the eighth inning, but with two outs in a strikeout. So listening to Tommy Thrall earlier today with Sterling, and then listening to and listening to Tom Nichols earlier this evening with me. Yes, we're excited about next year in the prospects of this season, but there are a lot of question marks. And it all starts with who are they going to keep and who are they going to let go? And I remember sitting in a press box in Carolina at a Bengals Panthers game and Sam Weish was there and I asked Sam, because the Bengals were struggling with Dick lebou as the head coach, and I asked him, what should the Bengals do? And he said, find out who's helping you win and keep them, find out who's helping you lose and get rid of them. That's what the Cincinnati Reds have to do. We're looking at a bunch of unrestricted free agents and Nick Martinez, Wade Miley, Emelio Pegan, Zach Lettel, Miguel Andrewharr and then you've got club options on Austin Hayes, Brent Souiter. So the club has to figure out who they want to keep and who they want to let go. And I want to take this opportunity to thank tonight's producer Shoeless Joe Waddell, and especially thank all the loyal listeners, all the chick Magnets out there. I appreciate you, Thanks for tuning in, and until next time, this is the Chickster Chick Ludwig saying thanks for listening to the home of the Reds and the best Bengals coverage. See you tomorrow night at the Cristview Hills Wings and Rings from nine to eleven. I'll be with Bruce Kazerski Bengals legend, breaking it all down and what we hope will be a Bengals victory over the Detroit Lions tomorrow on seven hundred WA LW