Speaker 1: And now an exclusive interview with David Bassey for Dodger Talk. The Dodgers are closing out their series in Philadelphia, and I'm joined right now by a man that has risen to the top and still has the eye of the tiger, and that is the one and only Dalton Rushing. Thanks a lot for the time. You know, you got the eye of the tiger. Don't ever lose that look.
Speaker 2: I appreciate it. It's always good being on with you, and I appreciate the kind words.
Speaker 1: I was waiting outside your hotel hoping that we could run the rocky steps together.
Speaker 2: Today I heard that I saw you got it in you and that shows a lot about your character.
Speaker 1: Thank you. I appreciate that. That's why we we get along. We both I broadcast with a chip, You play with a chip, and I think that's part of what you bring to the table.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it is going good going bad doesn't really matter. I think everyone that's on the field, obviously, everyone that's in the stands watching me play, they know I have one thing on mine and it's doing whatever we got to do to win.
Speaker 1: You're mentally tough, but you're in the middle of your first full major League season. What have you learned so far about it just to get through it?
Speaker 2: Yeah, I'm learning right now. In the moment, it's a marathon, it's not a race. It's one of those sayings behind the plate, it's a lot of taxing. You're gonna feel different every day. You got to figure out how to really just put wins on the board, whether it's behind the plate or it's in the box. It's been a stretch for me, but thankfully we've been able to win some baseball games, win a series last week, and obviously moving into today, we have an opportunity to win another series against a really good team.
Speaker 1: Last night, what an exciting finish that you were in the middle of an unorthodox game ending double play. How do you, Mookie Bets, Max Munsey all keep your composure when the Phillies are doing base running things that would catch anybody off guard.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it was, like you said, it was a weird play. It was one of those things. It's kind of like, just uh, stand on your toes and react kind of thing. So once months he came came to me with the ball, I knew my main point and objective is to take him back to third base. And as I'm running towards Crawford with Mooki in between us at third, I saw real Muto kind of look like he wanted to bounce off and go back to second. So it was I think that's what kind of led to the decision to get rid of the baseball, give it up to Mooki, Let Mooki take that out, and then uh yeah, obviously it gave us a chance to get Real Muto back at second base.
Speaker 1: You saw what this team did during the postseason last year. Little things like that won the World Series. Where does that come from? As far as the attention to detail on defense.
Speaker 2: Yeah, this uh, this organization, this club probably pays more attention to detail than any baseball team in this world. It's uh, it means everything. It changes the game when things start to speed up on other guys. It allows us to one hold the trust, but also hold the upper hand on knowing what to do with the baseball, knowing what's smart, knowing what's safe. Like I said, last night was a really weird situation, and I think as a catcher kind of filled general side of things, it feels really good to know that that moment didn't speed up on us at all. As weird and unorthodox of a play as it was, it would have been very easy to just kind of speed up, get rid of the ball and then boom, it kind of blows up in your face. But yeah, I thought it was really cool out of all of us as a defense to take advantage of that moment, and obviously the mistakes made.
Speaker 1: Dalton Rushing is our guest. He's back in the starting lineup tonight and has had a huge impact behind the plate on this road trip. He caught Yamamoto's complete game, and then last night you helped Tanner Scott navigate a five out safe. I think back to the eighth inning rush as far as how you guys went to work against Shoreber and Harper Schwarber especially.
Speaker 2: Yeah, those are two of the best hitters in the game right now and have been for a long time. So it's, uh, you got you gotta dive in a little deeper for those guys, and they're playing their home ballpark. You know, they're juiced up for a moment like that. They live for moments like that, so kind of you kind of call pitches accordingly and see what they're doing in the box and just understand what their main objective is and that a bat and uh, yeah, thank god Tanner Tanner put his stuff on the table for us and gave us a chance to win that game. Regardless of how the ninth went and the blow up that happened, I think that eighth inning was very crucial for us, and for us to get those three big outs against obviously some of their best hitters is pretty crucial.
Speaker 1: You're the perfect guy to ask this question too. You've had a front row seat to this version of Tanner Scott. Why has he been Tanner Scott again this season?
Speaker 2: It's conviction. I think it's confidence and conviction. It's uh, he's convicted and getting ahead. He's got the confidence that his stuff's better than you, and it's hard to beat a guy that has that type of confidence up there. We watch guys like show Hey, we watch guys like Yamamoto and obviously tons of other arms in this clubhouse, and how they pitch with confidence and they use it to their advantage, I guess you could say, and it pays off in the end. And so being able to get a little more confidence back into him after last year is huge for us as a team. Obviously, but also him as a person and him as a player.
Speaker 1: Hey, there we go a guy that can articulate better than the guy that's throwing the ball right there, that's our guy, Dalton Rushing. All right, before I let you go, I usually ask the questions, but I'm just gonna leave you with the piece of advice. Since we are in the city that Rocky Balboa made famous. Here we go. Don't lose your grip on the dreams of the past. He must fight to keep them alive.
Speaker 2: Oh I like that, mass I like that. That's a good one. I'm gonna keep that in the back of my head tonight.
Speaker 1: I love it. Maybe even put it another tattoo right there? How about that.
Speaker 2: We'll get another tattoo of it with David Vasse right under it. Get a picture of your face on my forearm.
Speaker 1: That would be electric.
Speaker 2: I'm sure you would like that for the advertisement.
Speaker 1: All right, Well, speaking of that, my guy Dalton Rushing is going to receive a gift card to Travis Matthew. We want to say thank you to our friends at Travis Matthew who create elevated apparel and footwear made to meet the moment. Like our guy Dalton Rushing. Hello, thanks a lot rushing
Speaker 2: Thanks Mass always good