Speaker 1: The following takes place between eight pm and nine pm.
Speaker 2: All right, let's keep it moving. Eight o'clock hour underway, eight oh six to be precise. Abliance MacAllister, thanks for hanging out. Check it in tonight with talks of breads, Let's talk some Xavier Musketeers. Xavier takes a five game winning streak into their big East opener tomorrow night, Senta Center the place to be for hoops. They take on Creighton six point thirty with the tip from around that, let's go straight to the sourus. Welcome in the head coach of the Xavier Musketeers. That would be Richard Patino, coach. How are we doing tonight?
Speaker 3: Doing great? Thanks driving me last.
Speaker 2: You gotta good catch it up. Uh so you guys finish the non conference eight and three. I know you're still a work in progress, but man, that pivot and change that you guys you made with this group on the fly in the Charleston Classic, it's got to be pretty satisfying and encouraging.
Speaker 3: I think it kind of, you know, obviously, a kind of a soberinging loss for Santa Clara at home. Didn't play well. They're a good team, but we played very poorly and we had to kind of recalibrate everything, and we came back played really really well versus I think it was Old Dominion at home, and then we went to Iowa and actually played well. Those four we lost. There was some moments there was like, Okay, we may have something here, came back, played really well versu. Old Dominion. But I thought Charleston really really kind of energized us. George is a very talented team. We really had the game one. They made a tough shot right at the end, and then played great for West Virginia. And it's just been the momentum has been really good, and it's just it's really attitude and effort. You know, we've got high character guys in the locker room. They're working really hard in practice, and it's it's cool to see just kind of the confidence building.
Speaker 2: I've noticed that I've heard your guys talk about being connected on the core off the court. When you're dealing with all new guys from all parts of the country. That's not easy. That's not always the case.
Speaker 3: No, And you know, it really starts with just the type of people that you you know, it's hard to even call it recruiting anymore, right, But I mean the people that you bring in. And a really cool moment last night, I had my radio show, but one of our walk ons, Henry had as Jersey, retired and we brought it up and just said, hey, if you can make it, that would be great. And we had two guys that had the previous engagement that everybody else went to it, and it just shows you like they're a very very tight knit group. You know, it's not always the most important thing off the court. Sometimes that can be a little bit overrated, but you certainly can feel it with these guys. There's a respect level. You know, the UC game, it's a lot for both teams. But what it does do is it kind of brings you together. Because that was kind of like the first moment where you're you're fighting for xavior. So it was cool to see your team.
Speaker 2: A couple of numbers that pop off the page that have to make you very happy. Your your team share rate and protect rate is off the charts. I mean, you guys share the ball, and man, they value the possession of the ball, don't they.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 3: I don't know if it changed, but this morning we were number one in the country and assist a turnable percentage on ken pum. So you're we're either one or two in all those categories, which is great. I Mean people kind of ask me about some coaches reach out like what are you doing, and I'm like, honestly, I'm playing guys who are fundamentally sound like I mean, we do some passing drills, we do some you know, footwork drill and everything like that, but it really is it's contagious right now. You know our practices. Sometimes we overpass, but they're all kind of trying to one up each other with sharing the ball. The assist now some of it, as you shoot a lot of jump shots, you're going to get assisted baskets. But I just think when you're playing like you play a team like you see a four turnover. We come back to the next game versus Missouri State, who's really really physical defensely you only have six I mean for us, I mean, we're not necessarily the most athletic team, but if we can just value the ball like this, it's going to give us a chance.
Speaker 2: You open Big East play tomorrow night at home against Creighton. What are your impressions of the Blue Jays?
Speaker 3: You know, it's interesting. I mean, they've always been kind of a consistent player in this league, and they've got to believe five returners from last year's team. Coach McDermott does a terrific job. They just haven't really made shots. I mean, I hope to god they don't make shots tomorrow. But it's always scary because they're continuing to move. The ball they're facing is great. They play with pace offensively on a make or a miss, So the shots are there, they just haven't been falling. You know, they've played a tough schedule in Nebraska's really difficult Kansas State. The first half they didn't play well, but certainly played great in this I can have. So we we know with our team, like every game that we play, we're going to have our hands full, especially in this twenty game Big East. So you've got to guard the three point line. You've got to get back in transition and communicate because they're going to fly to ball the court.
Speaker 2: You get them at sentastamor and I what have you learned about this fan base and how important is it for that shootout vibe not to be a one off?
Speaker 3: Yeah, the shootout is interesting because you know as an outsider, you know, I'm a non Xavier guy, and you know, I'm still trying to earn my stripes with all the fans. And you know, they kind of the media and the fans kind of trick you a little bit because they're like, do you take this game seriously or not? And I'm like, listen, as a coach, we're one game at a time, this and that. But you know, really what it is is the fans and the media really really take it seriously because of the bragging rights and all that. It's really really cool and fun to be a part of. But I've gotten asked that question and I just said, you know, you know, I understand at a bye game in December it is not always going to be like that. But you know, I was very lucky for the last four years to coach in an iconic building in front of a terrific fan base in New Mexico with fifteen thousand fans. And I tell you what, if we bring it like we did in the Crosstown shootout for these ten home games in the league, like we're going to be a tough out, you know, it's a really cool fan base because I've never worked at a small kind of Catholic school like this with no football. I went to a school like this, but I've never professionally done that. And they're not necessarily a large number, but there's strength kind of in the numbers that they have, and they're really really passionate, and they've been very welcome to me and my family.
Speaker 2: All Right, my most important question to you, can you confirm a family sledding activity that may have led to injury? If not at least general sortus on your part.
Speaker 3: General sortus would be accurate for sure. I was standing in my office today because my back was hurty. You know. We we've got a pretty cool hill in front of our house. And my cute nine year old daughter put like her snow pants on, her boots on, and my other two kids were not there, and she was like, well, I guess I'm gonna go slaving by myself. And I'm like, all right, I got to go with you. You know, when you live in Minnesota. It was so cold, like like the Bengals game the other day. That was like every day in Minnesota for like three months, so it was like thirty degrees out. We had a blast, but I took a little spill. My wife didn't catch it, but I did actually run into a tree as well. But I think I'm a game time decision tomorrow. But I feel good that I'm going to be able to coach.
Speaker 2: Oh man, that is good news. Well take care of yourself and I always appreciate your time and best of luck tomorrow night.
Speaker 3: All right, thank you, Lance, appreciate it, all right, all.
Speaker 2: Right, take care coach. There you go, Richard Patina check it in tonight. He hit a tree. What I can see his nine year old like, who's going to say no to there? I guess all goes sledding by myself. I mean I remember that whether it was Peyton or Casey is like oh, but I thought general sortness might be the way he would go with the description. Standing in the office this morning, he said, feeling it. Musketeers tomorrow night, five game winning streak heading into Big East play with the opener against Creighton six point thirty from Senta center. All right, let's do this, Let's keep the lines open. I want to welcome your conversation. I've got oh when we'll come back. I came across a story over the weekend of a finish in a high school football state championship game that you will absolutely not believe. And I think it might lead into maybe a little bit of a conversation about the wild and wacky finishes in sports history over the years that you could maybe add to as well. Let's try that out a little bit, plus some more Red's Hall of Fame conversation as we continue. The show is RNL Carrier Sports Talk. It is presented by Kelsey Chevrolet, produced tonight by Sean McMahon, hosted tonight by me Lance Pacallister, and we thank you for listening on seven hundred WLW.
Speaker 3: The Nightcab with Gary Gentlonker. We're the conversations as strong as the drinks. Tonight at nine on seven hundred WLW. Bad breath is a confidence killer.
Speaker 2: You can have the best outfit, the funniest jokes, but if your breath smells like what you just