Speaker 1: The quest for the three peat has begun.
Speaker 2: Only four teams in Major League Baseball history have won three consecutive titles. The Dodgers are the favorites to become the fifth face.
Speaker 1: A spring training Dodger Talk.
Speaker 3: Here we go again.
Speaker 1: We're going to runner Back, hosted by Dodgers aint sider David Bassi. How three peat in the Mexican in on the show called eight six six nine eighty seven two five seven, And be sure to follow Dodger Talk wherever you catch your podcasts. Here's your host, David Bassey.
Speaker 2: We are live at Camelback Ranch in Glendale, Arizona. Welcome the Dodger Talk. David Basse with you until eight o'clock tonight right here on AM five to seventy LA Sports. We have a great show for you tonight. Blake Trinan is going to join us. Yes, three time World Series Champion Blake trining is going to join us at seven point thirty to share how his off season is going to help him bounce back and return to form from what we saw in twenty twenty four. So looking forward to hearing from Blake Trinan, who, among many Dodgers, has come into camp a lot slimmer than what we saw a year ago and changed their routine during the off season to be ready for camp. Can't say enough about so many of the players that came to camp ready to go day one, and really that's the culture here with the Dodgers. Veteran players that have won back to back World Series championships have come to camp ta Oscar Hernandez, Miguel Rojas, Max Munsey, Blake Trinan, to the young guys, Gavin Stone, River Ryan, all of these guys to a man have come to camp ready to try to pursue a three pat And quite honestly, if you're not one of those guys that came to camp ready day one, you should be feeling a lot of pressure. You've got to feel that pressure from your teammates that hey, we all came to camp ready to work. What were you doing during the off season? And I think that's a question that only the players that did not come ready for day one can answer. And we'll get into that over the coming days here Live from the Desert. Phone lines are open if you want to know about any one of your favorite players, how they're looking, what they're doing, how they're feeling eight six six nine eight seven two five seventy. Evan Phillips has re signed with the Dodgers and he spoke for the first time since resigning with the Dodgers. We will share that conversation with you as well. And how about this. Two of the villains in Dodger fans' eyes have spoke up to really celebrate what the Dodgers have done over the course of the last last thirteen years, and that's Manny Machado and Bryce Harper. We'll share with you what they had to say as well. Don't forget tomorrow the first official full squad workout for the Dodgers, and then the first Cactus League game is coming up Saturday, and we will have that game for you right here on a five to seventy LA Sports. The Dodgers are actually opening up the first two games of the Cactus League with road games. Now, road games in Arizona are a lot better than road games in Florida. I've never experienced the Florida travel, but nonetheless, our coverage begins at twelve thirty on Saturday as we get you ready for the Cactus League opener against the Angels in Tempe. Arizona, and then on Sunday, the Dodgers will be in Peoria facing the San Diego Padres, and we will have pregame coverage beginning at twelve thirty, first pitch at one ten. We still have not found out from Dave Roberts who is going to start the first two games of the spring, but you would have to imagine it's the two guys that have come to camp setting the tone in Yamamoto and Otani, who are getting ready for the World Baseball Classics. So we'll find out, if not tomorrow, by Wednesday, Dave Roberts will lay out his plans. One guy that will not be playing in the first Cactus League game or even on opening Day on March twenty sixth at Dodger Stadium is two times World Series Champion NLCS MVP from twenty twenty four, Tommy Edmund. We all knew it was a long shot that Tommy Edmond, after undergoing right ankle surgery, was going to be ready for opening Day. Well, today Dave Roberts made it official.
Speaker 4: I think just looking at where his ankle is at, trying to play the long view that you don't want to have any regression or setbacks, and so how can we be methodical with it, And just for me, knowing that he's just taken swings, isn't up to full speed doing the basement, so that takes a while to get your body into baseball shape. So we're not going to rush it. Want to put him in the best position. So I think it just kind of came more clear recently, very recently, And to be honestly, that's sort of my take, just looking at him and kind of knowing our process and how we get guys ready for a season.
Speaker 2: Well, there you go, something we all kind of believed was going to be a situation that Tommy Edmund cannot get around not being ready for opening Day, and Dave Roberts officially ruled him out today. And we always talk about the Dodgers' pitchers and how they want to make sure they're ready for October. Well that goes for position players as well. Well. Tommy Edman's been dealing with this right ankle even before he was traded to the Dodgers during the trade deadline of twenty twenty four. Finally had surgery on it this offseason, but still not going to rush it and cause damage to a surgically repaired right ankle. So Tommy Edman is not going to be opening day second baseman. So who does that leave. Well, the Dodgers have a lot of depth at every position, and second base is no different. Remember Miguel Rojas, Yeah, that Miguel Rojas. He played more games at second base last year than any other position he played. So you got Rojas for starters. And then Dave Roberts said, basically, it's a competition between two young guys that got their first taste of the big leagues last year and Alex Freeland and Hayesan Kim, who I saw tonight at a sushi joint in Peoria. It seemed like he was getting a sushi a lotier than I was. I'll just say that right now. All right, that's big league status right there. But that's what it's going to come down to, Rojas, Kim and Freeland. Rojas has a spot, Kim and Freeland are going to have to fight out for a spot on this opening day roster to see who is going to be the left handed platoon to Miguel Rojas at second base. And let's not forget this is Miguel Rojas's final season in the big leagues. He's thirty seven years old. You don't want to run that guy into the ground in the first two months of the season. So whether it's Kim or Freeland, you're going to see a lot of those two guys until Tommy Edmund is one hundred percent. And honestly, Dave Roberts said, and we all witnessed it, Alex Freeland last year allowed the game to speed up on him. It was just too much. And it seems like Alex Freeland is a little bit more mature than what he was a year ago at this time. So you know, let's not forget about some of these guys that everybody was hyping up the last two years. Just because they got a taste of the big leagues and couldn't stick with back to back World Series champion Dodgers, doesn't mean that their careers are over. No, they're just getting started. And Alex Freeland, Dalton Rushing, Hay Sun Kim give these guys an opportunity. So that's the second base situation for the Dodgers. I mentioned earlier in the show to start it that so many guys came into camp ready to go, and I saw te Oscar Hernandez arrive at Camel Back Ranch this morning, and I've been following him on Instagram. His friends have been telling me he's been in the lab in Tampa, Florida since November. He is skipping out on playing for his beloved Dominican Republic in the World Baseball Classic. And I have said this here on Dodger Talk, I have said it on Sports net LA. This is going to be a huge, huge comeback year for Taoscar Hernandez. And last year wasn't awful, but it wasn't the Taioscar Hernandez that we saw in twenty twenty four. So Taoskar is in great shape. Another guy that has slimmed down that as he gets to age thirty three and beyond, has understood he's got to change the body composition. So being in left field, being in great shape, I would say this is the best condition Taoscar has been in since he's been a Dodger, and that includes his great twenty twenty four season. So just moving to left field, coming to camp in a great physical spot. He said it was the longest offseason that he has had to recover body wise in three years. Remember the Dodgers have played into November each of the last two years and have started before any other team in Major League Baseball beginning of the year overseas in Korea two years ago in Tokyo, Japan last year eight six six nine eight seven two five seventy is the phone Number one guy that you won't see at Dodger camp this year, at least is the Tigers opening day starting pitcher. Did you miss that tweet? The Tigers, after losing arbitration to Trek Scooble and Scott Boris name Trek Scouble their opening day starter. Remember all the phone calls we were getting because of the ping Pingalore You got pinged if you believed what he was saying back in December from a hotel lobby in Orlando, Florida. Yeah, KTLA's ping Petro some money talked about it. Mason and Ireland actually put this guy on their show and was eating up every single word that he was saying. Oh, tell us more ping. When is schoobul coming to the Dodgers. Well, he may come at the trade deadline if the Tigers are out of it. But if you were listening to this show, scary to believe I was the voice of reason saying the sources I spoke to around Christmas time and after said he's not getting traded for a number of different reasons. And the Tigers now have named Schooble their opening day starter. And guess who was here at Dodger camp maybe looking for Schooble was the ping himself. Remember this tweet in December that got you all riled up and children from school to school asking if schoobl was a Dodger.
Speaker 5: But here's the deal.
Speaker 4: Here's what I'm hearing right now.
Speaker 5: Freeman is uh trying to work.
Speaker 6: A deal.
Speaker 5: To pay a right there because he's gonna end up somewhere. The Dodgers would be the odds on favorite again. They got yeah, and they got the players. I mean, she should be in that deal.
Speaker 2: But they got a lot of young pictures right now, and school bol is.
Speaker 4: Going to be demanding somewhere and create three hundred and four and they were.
Speaker 2: All three hundred or four million. Huh. I think it's going to be more than that.
Speaker 5: You can drop at any time here.
Speaker 2: At anytime, Orlando, Yeah, December, stay tuned Dodger Nation to that means, yes, stay tuned. Dodger Nation. Oh sorry, Ping, school Balls staying in Motown, and uh, the Ping showed up and he took he took his medicine to a certain extent. As we were waiting for Dave Roberts, the Ping came in and you know, said, all right, let me have it. I said, what I'm just I'm just looking for schoobl Is he throwing a bullpen today? I had the schedule. I'm not sure if he's throwing a bullpen today. And the Ping, staying in true Ping character, maintained that he had great sources, but back down that he said that school Ball was going to be traded to the Dodgers from what we just heard right there, he said, it was happening. Look, this is the way it works. A player like school Ball a pending free agent. Of course, the Tigers were going to listen. I'm sure the Dodgers and Tigers talked to a certain extent, but it became very clear to the Dodgers and every other team in baseball that the Tigers were not trading Trek Scooble. That would be waving the white flag to a fan base that obviously was close to winning the Ale Central last year, and they just added from Bervaldez. They got arguably the best three starters in the American League and school ball, Valdez and Flaherty, not to mention a guy that's going to the Hall of Fame and Kenley Jansen closing games. So the ping will be back out here tomorrow. But that's the scene set from Glendale, Arizona. When we continue live from Camelback ranching Glendale, Arizona, we will let you here with Manny Machadawin and Bryce Harper had to say about the Dodgers off season. And we have three lines open. Eight six six nine eight seven two five seventy is the phone number. The only lights on are in the broadcast booth and in the Dodgers clubhouse management shop. Alex Torris. Only guy that's got the lights on still here at camel Back Ranch. So at least somebody else is here with me besides the Coyotes. David Vassay with you until seven o'clock or eight o'clock right here on a F five to seventy LA Sports. We are live at camel Back Ranch in Glendale, Arizona. The Dodgers getting set for their first official full squad workout tomorrow afternoon here at camel Back Ranch in Glendale, Arizona. The Dodgers' first game of the spring is coming up this Saturday against the Angels, and then they will be in Peoria to take on the San Diego Padres, who just have signed We're series hero from twenty twenty four, Walker Buehler has signed with the San Diego Padres. That's right, Buttane is now going to be part of the Padres, the team that he helped the Dodgers come from behind to beat in the twenty four NLDS and has been a nemesis of theirs for many years pitching for the Dodgers. He has signed a minor league deal with the San Diego Padres, according to Kevin Ace of the San Diego Union Tribune. So what you're feeling, Dodger fans, breaking news your world series hero Walker Bueller is now going to be pitching for the rival San Diego Padres. That is somewhat shocking, but I had heard during this offseason that it was the Padres that had the most interest in Walker Bueller. Buehler incredibly had to pitch for teams last week. It was like a tryout. Walker Buehler had to pitch for teams last week. Haven't they seen the resume? I text a scout with a team in the American League West and I said, what do you need to see from Walker Buehler? And they told me that they needed to see how his fastball look. I know it's surprising with his resume, but it has changed over the years. So there you go, Dodger fans. Walker Buehler will now be pitching against the Dodgers in the same division, pitching for the San Diego Padres. I fully expect him to make that team. It's a minor league deal, a year after him signing a one year, twenty one million dollar contract with the Boston Red Sox. Eight six six nine eight seven two five seventy is the phone number? Uh, Ronnie? Can you punch up our first call? Josh in Ontario, you're on Dodger Talk with David Vassy. What's your reaction to Walker bueller sunning with the Padres.
Speaker 7: I leave a bad taste in my mouth. It's behinnest for Padres. While I'm happy that he's in a team at least, but a minor league deal that's insane.
Speaker 2: Right, I mean, that's hard to believe. A guy that was at the top of his game in twenty twenty Tommy John surgery twenty twenty one obviously has not been the same guy, but still was pretty good for the Dodgers in the playoffs in twenty four. But it's gonna be strange to see him put on that uniform and face the Dodgers.
Speaker 6: Yeah.
Speaker 7: Yeah, there have been way more worse pitchers. I've gotten way more opportunities, and I don't know what they're going off with just one year.
Speaker 2: I feel like, yeah, no doubt, it's gonna be strange. Did you have a question about Kyle Tucker.
Speaker 7: Oh, yeah, I was. I wanted to ask I saw a clip, Well, I saw two clips from Kyle Tucker, and I know spring training hasn't started. And some people said it was a overreaction because it got like a lot of backlash online. That's off on the comments. But one thing that concerned me because I guess maybe Dodgers have put a standard towards practice and like Doc always preaches about everything's intent, like every drills that that there's an intention behind it, and I just saw him like doing grabbing liners on the outfield, and it just looked kind of lazy and stuff. And I saw I know that pot is one that they were just it just looked like he was like watching Potters do drills. And I'll give him an excuse because maybe he was just like it was just a bad timing for him, but it just kind of broke me the wrong way because he.
Speaker 2: Was doing the Josh, do I have to go to uh the Allen iverson line? It's practice? Day one of practice? What do you want him to do and die for the balls? I mean, day one, you want him diving for balls on the backfield.
Speaker 7: I just think I just think that we're just.
Speaker 2: You'll be judged. I understand the reputation, but you can't look at stuff on social media from day one. The guy just got here. You don't want him pulling a hamstring or doing any of that other stuff. You'll have to judge him when the games count.
Speaker 7: Josh, I just think that I just I think we're just used to seeing Mookie and Freddy how they carry thoselves Like I saw mookis doing drills.
Speaker 2: I saw Freddy laying on the grass today drinking water around the batting cage. Okay, it's day one, Josh, Josh, it's day one. Calm down, thank you for the phone call. I mean, really, we're gonna judge Kyle Tucker after day one of outfield drills? I mean, come on, I mean seriously, this guy has a resume that speaks for itself, and we'll see where that motor is. Like I said, there is a lot of accountability in that clubhouse to each other. You've got to be able to work hard. You've got to have your level of intensity up every day and understand it's a long season. So I mean, come on, really, we're gonna judge Kyle Tucker off one day of spring training? That seems a little excessive. Ronnie. Can you put a punch up Ramon in Arizona for me? Please?
Speaker 3: Hi?
Speaker 2: Ramone, you're on Dodger Talk.
Speaker 6: Hey Dave.
Speaker 8: I got to see you today and talk to you for a little while, and I wanted to say thank you again for that, for that conversation that we had.
Speaker 2: No I was waiting to remember what did I miss when I walked away on field six.
Speaker 8: I just went over to watch a little fielding practice, then throwing the first second and covering home plate, and that was pretty much it, and then I didn't get I was over there on that side. I didn't get a chance to go see Edwin Diaz throw. I want to really see him throw, and I heard that Mookie was out there on the field. But I did get back in time to see Alex Vesia punch out Otani.
Speaker 2: That was what was your reaction to Vessia. So let me set this up before you give us your reaction, Ramon, it was Alex Vesia versus show Hey Otani on field one this SAP noon and Vessia, after he struck out Otani yelled out a primal scream because he was pumped up that he was able to strike out one of the greatest players of all time. And Otani did a double take, and the fans that were watching kind of got a laugh out of it. But it was unexpected. But that was the that's the intensity that you kind of need amongst these great players. But were you surprised that Vessia got so amped up for a live BP strikeout?
Speaker 8: Well, knowing Vessia the way he is, He's always amped up no matter what. It doesn't matter if it's a game, if it's practice, warm up or whatever. And I was just happy to see him be very competitive after what he went through last October. That was a very sad story for him and his wife. And just to see him go out there and compete in spring training about one hundred and ten miles an hour already. It was good and it was great to see uh. It was great to see and hear the roar of the crowd after that punch out, and it was nice to see you Taani smile back at him and it seems like you said you got me. But but yeah, overall, it was great to see Bessie out there.
Speaker 2: All right, Ramon, great to meet you out here today and hopefully we'll see you back out here. Eight six six nine eight seven two five seventy is the phone number. And quite honestly, I have been coming to Camelback Ranch for the last fifteen years. I have never seen the crowds as big as they have been the last couple of days, the first weekend that fans were allowed in. Friday was the first day fans could come in. I know it's a long weekend, I know it's raining in La but still I have not seen it four or five deep around the fences this early in spring training and all the years I've been coming here. So that just shows you how good the Dodgers are for the game of baseball. And Manny Machado agree. Remember, Manny Machado got to see what it was like to be a Dodger for a half a season when the Dodgers traded for him after Corey Seger was hurt. He played shortstop for the Dodgers all the way to the World Series in twenty eighteen. Manny Machada was asked at Padres camp yesterday what he thought about the Dodgers offseason and just the debate about what they're doing.
Speaker 9: Uh, I love it.
Speaker 10: I love it. I mean, honestly, I think every team should be doing it. You know, they figured out a way to do it and it just great for the game, honestly. So I think every team, every team has the ability to do it. So you know, I hope, you know, all thirty teams could could learn from that.
Speaker 2: Hey, the Padres have been doing it ever since Peter Seidler took over ownership of the Padres. Unfortunately, Peter passed away over a year ago and he has certainly missed with the Padres and anybody that got to know him, and you're not familiar with Peter Seidler and his connection to the Dodgers. He's the grandson of Walter O'Malley, and he was a tremendous person and he pushed the limits, the payroll limits to try to compete with the Dodgers. And I mean, if the Padres beat the Dodgers in the twenty four NLDS, who knows how different things may look in twenty five and even in twenty six. But many Machado knows what it's like to be a Dodger and understands the infrastructure and the support players have playing for this team. And Bryce Harper almost almost took the Kyle Tucker type deal before he signed that long term contract with the Phillies back in twenty eighteen. I believe Harper wasn't even signed in spring training in twenty eighteen because he was still trying to get the offer that he wanted. And listen to Bryce Harper when again he was asked at Phillies camp about his opinion on what the Dodgers continue to do, and that's just win.
Speaker 11: I mean, I love what the Dodgers do obviously. I mean, they pay them money, They spend the money. I mean, they're a great team. They understand how to run. They run their team like a business, and they run it the right way. They understand where they need to put.
Speaker 9: Their money into. But also if people don't look at this either, their draft and their development is unbelievable.
Speaker 11: Like they draft and they developed, and then they trade those guys for big name guys and they can spend them money. So it's I don't know, it bothers me when everybody talks about the Dodgers are spending money.
Speaker 9: Do they draft, they develop?
Speaker 4: They do it the right way.
Speaker 11: They understand what it takes to be the best team in baseball, and you've seen that in the last two years.
Speaker 9: They have so much step. I mean, I think it's Will.
Speaker 11: Klein, the kid's name was came in up through six shutout in EAMs like I mean, you're ston in Arizona two weeks before. Like, they have that type of dynamic on their club, And that's what you when you think about drafting, developing and things like that. That's that's why they win, and that's why when they win a lot of games each year.
Speaker 9: So you know, I love what they do. I understand what they do I understand the.
Speaker 11: Madness behind it, but again, like each team at baseball has an opportunity to do the same They the same thing.
Speaker 9: Maybe not at the mrs and echelon up money.
Speaker 11: But they can draft, developing trade.
Speaker 9: And you know, I just I don't know.
Speaker 11: I think a lot of teams can do that in baseball.
Speaker 9: And they should.
Speaker 2: I don't know about you, but it sounded like Bryce Harper is a little envious that he's not a Dodger. That's what it sounds like to me. I mean, everything that he described right there is one hundred percent accurate, but it sounds like, you know, Valentine's Day was just the other day. It seems like Bryce Harper was walking on the other side of the street and saw the girl that he let get away with a brand new shiny man in a Ferrari. He could have been a Dodger, he could have taken that short term deal. Instead opted to go with the long term deal with the Phillies. And now his new GM Dave Dombrowski, is saying that he's no longer an elite player. Sounded like Bryce Harper wishes he was a I'm not putting words in his mouth but it sounded like a guy that man wish just wish. Sorry, I think that that ship is sailed. Eight sixty six nine eighty seven two five seventy is the phone number. We're gonna take a time out here on Dodger Talk. When we come back, more of your phone calls at eight sixty six nine eighty seven two five seventy you'll hear from Blake Trenton and Evan Phillips Dodger Talk live from Camel Back Ranch and Glendale, Arizona, right here on your home the back to back world champion Dodgers AM five seventy LA Sports. Welcome back to Dodger Talk. David Vasse with you until eight o'clock tonight here on AM five seventy LA Sports. Sometimes certain guys are excited to join the show. Some guys even shower and comb that beautiful blonde hair and trim that beautiful beard. Ready to go to talk to us for the first time in twenty twenty six, and that is Blake trying to Blake. Happy New Year. Great to see you, and thank you for taking a shower before this conversation.
Speaker 9: I wish you would have. We're in a good spot. Thank you for having me, Dave.
Speaker 2: You seem to be a little bit more tempered. You want to ease into things this time around.
Speaker 3: Hey, this is your show. You need you need to moderate how you wish. I'm here to answer any questions you want.
Speaker 2: Well, honestly, you are one of the guys that I was most eager to talk to because I have I don't have a short memory. I know how much you have done for the Dodgers in the last three World Championship seasons and how much you want to come back and be part of a three peat. What's what's this off season been like for you to get your body and mind ready.
Speaker 3: It's just been a lot of reevaluating how I trained, talked to Eric Cressey, did some some new training styles I guess to try to get myself more athletic, got some rest and recovery that my body probably needed I.
Speaker 9: Didn't realize it needed.
Speaker 3: And uh, of course I'm excited to come back. Last year wasn't a right ending for me in a sense of like helping the team, so I hold I like to think I've held myself to a higher standard than that in my career, and so this year really high expectations for myself and excited to get back out there and compete and have some success with the team.
Speaker 2: Blake, you pushed yourself to the limits in twenty twenty four and in Game five of the World Series to help the Dodgers beat the Yankees. How real is it the after effects, the lingering effects of pushing your arm to the limits the way you did two years ago.
Speaker 9: I don't know.
Speaker 3: I think I had other issues last year mechanically that probably made it seem like my body was fatigued. But yeah, I think, you know, the biggest thing is just even just post surgery, as best you can do, the best I can relate it is you find something that works, and it worked in twenty four and then trying to find the version that I've been my whole career, you know, you kind of forget little cues and some things aren't clicking the right way, and you start trying to figure out what it is, and sometimes it walks you farther away from the answer. Sometimes it brings you closer to the answer. And I feel like we're in a really good spot this spring, and like my bullpeny went really well and got another one tomorrow and from there, we'll see if they have me in lives. So yeah, I mean I feel great. This is I'm super happy to be here. I know my family's pretty excited to get things going, and yeah, it's good to see everybody kind of rolling in this time.
Speaker 2: What are the cues? Are they the cues from twenty twenty four? Are they the cues that you discovered this offseason?
Speaker 9: I don't know.
Speaker 3: It's stuff that I've had in the past, but maybe I couldn't get my body to get to those positions, so it's all not worth talking on the radio, but it's it's in a good spot.
Speaker 2: So you feel like the action on your pitches, where your arm slot is, all those things are where you want to be early on.
Speaker 3: All the signs from my first bullpen showed that everything was moving really sharp and late, so I'm excited about it.
Speaker 9: Yeah.
Speaker 2: Is it to private to ask you how much weight you've lost and just the conditioning that you put in this soft season.
Speaker 9: I haven't lost that much.
Speaker 3: I just I think body composition changed a little bit, probably down a few pounds.
Speaker 9: But yeah, I feel healthy. I feel healthy.
Speaker 3: Just trying to I'm trying to, you know, play as long as I can and as great as you know the Good Lord will allow me so firmly believing that until the day I retire, I'm going to be competing at the highest level I've ever competed, and I don't expect anything different this year.
Speaker 2: I mean for a skinny fat guy. Blake. When I see a guy come into camp the week, any fat guy. No, No, I'm calling my skinny fat guy.
Speaker 9: And you looked right at me.
Speaker 2: I'm looking. I'm looking at you in the eye. I'm the skinny fat guy here.
Speaker 3: Back in a compliment, said, oh, you look great from working hard all off season, but you're a skinny fat kid.
Speaker 2: I'm the I'm the skinny fat kid. And that's why when I see you come into.
Speaker 9: Camp, you can is that what you're saying?
Speaker 2: No, No, I can't. I think I feel like you've gone yoga. Did you do a lot of yoga? You look like a yoga type.
Speaker 9: I'm out on yoga. I don't need yoga in my life.
Speaker 3: Plates No, just work hard, you can stretch.
Speaker 9: I need to go into that weird stuff. I ain't doing yoga.
Speaker 2: Okay, Okay, I know you. I'm mentioned this to you yesterday, but the way your bullpen is shaping up now, Blake, it looks like with Bazuka coming back, Vessia coming back, yourself along with Edwin and Tanner, it feels like Jack Dryer, Ben Caspirius, Justin Robleski, how uh, how devastating have been Phillips second half?
Speaker 9: See see it feels.
Speaker 2: Like you guys maybe the forgotten part of this team that everybody's talking about.
Speaker 3: It's okay, is there all talking head points? And I appreciate that out of you. I just I've heard it every year where it's like, hey, this looks great, we're gonna you guys look like you're the best in baseball and this or that, or hey, like what are the things we got to answer? And it's all fair questions. I just at the end of the day, I just think we know what we're capable of.
Speaker 9: And just go do it. You know, it's nobody needs to try. I just do it. It's a league of doing it, So go do it. That's where I'm at.
Speaker 2: Okay, can I ask you a big picture question about the team? Blake trying is our guest on Dodgery Talk. You got to come with your a game if you're going to stand in front of forty nine's locker. When you look at when you look at the you go ahead, Dave, is it across the way? Clayton Kershaw held that locker for a long time. He's no longer here. What's it like without him in camp with you guys and just being on the other side of the doorway here?
Speaker 9: Yeah, I shot him at text.
Speaker 3: I said, it's a little weird you're not walking in with your coffee every day heading the shower, But I don't know you'll be bringing that energy at Team USA.
Speaker 9: WBC so just asked how he was doing.
Speaker 3: Wish him luck, and he said it felt feels a little weird, but but yeah, I think it'll feel weird for anybody when you finally hang it up. So, yeah, it'd be fun to watch him, you know, from from home here in spring training and doing this thing hopefully some pretty awesome moments.
Speaker 2: Yeah, no doubt the team US.
Speaker 9: Yeah, that's a great way. It's like a storybook.
Speaker 3: And then you know, having that chance to go out on top with us and then out on top of your nation.
Speaker 9: It's pretty cool.
Speaker 6: All right.
Speaker 2: Before I let you go, you're a man that obviously has opinions about things. So when you look at I know.
Speaker 3: Careful, you might change the mass population's opinion of me in a good way. Since most people have different opinions of me, you might might actually swing some opinions in favor of maybe ask the right questions.
Speaker 2: If they listen to us, I mean, they know what kind of guy Blake Trning is. And I'm wondering what you thought about the Dodgers signaling from the top, signing these players and the reaction the rest of the league had to the Dodgers trying to compete and win.
Speaker 3: Again, Listen, I think everybody in baseball I would be shocked if people are upset with what the Dodgers are doing. I think it's something that most players have been excited for us to have an organization from top to bottom willing to invest in bringing a winning product in And you know, I think when you see other players talk about it, it's because, Hey, we want to be on a team. We want our team that we love and the fans that we love to be supported. The way that you know, the Dodgers' ownership and everybody's ownership group is different. I can't speak for people, you know, but to be a part of this organization where they're willing to put everything into making the club better, moving the needle in the positive direction, like it's pretty wild. And then pinch yourself to be a part of it, like the fact that I'm still here and they value me as a as a player, Like that's a huge blessing. I don't take that lightly. It's pretty cool.
Speaker 2: It's been a long relationship between you and the Dodgers.
Speaker 9: You didn't know that.
Speaker 2: I mean, I remember when they signed you. Going into the twenty season, a lot of people were wondering about Blake Trning, and you proved a lot of doubters wrong. And I feel like twenty six is going to be full circle again, prove a lot of doubters wrong.
Speaker 9: Thank you, Dave, appreciate it. You're the man.
Speaker 2: I'm here for you, life coach. Whenever you need me.
Speaker 9: You always are, you always are. You're always pumping my.
Speaker 2: Tire for sure. How could I not world series hero right here? Blake Tryning kline too? How about that you got a whole locker full of world series heroes twenty twenty four. It doesn't happen without Blake trying to win back to back. I know but when you went back to back championships, you got to have the first one first.
Speaker 9: It's fair, Okay, It's just hard for me to hear you talk about it. We got new goles. I'm grateful for it, but we got new goals.
Speaker 2: This is the last time I'll ever mention it. Hey hold him to it, fans, Okay, thank you, Blake.
Speaker 3: In ten years, when we celebrate each of these World Series accomplishments, if you want to rehash it, I'll allow you to do it.
Speaker 2: The next debate will be who's got better here in the bullpen? You or Brock Stewart.
Speaker 9: Rocking habit, rocking habit.
Speaker 2: Thanks a lot for the time, Blake. Great to see you and man happy you're healthy and ready to go for the season.
Speaker 9: Thank you, thank you, looking forward to it.
Speaker 2: I'm a big Blake Trning fan. I think a lot of us forget how valuable he's been to the Dodgers in these three World Series runs in twenty twenty, twenty twenty four especially, and look he battled his way through last year and tried to give the Dodgers everything he had. Obviously was not as effective as he has been the majority of his career, but you have to acknowledge the fact that a lot of these Dodger relievers were pushed to the limits in twenty twenty four and now they're back, and they did not get a lot of these guys are fresh arms. Bruce dar Graderol is not going to obviously start the year, but fresh arm at Guardo Enriquez, who got a real innings experience last year. Fresh arm Alex Vesia for unfortunate reasons, did not pitch in the World Series last year. Brock Stewart at some points going to come back. You got Blake Trinan, who is feeling good again, and you got a fresh new Tanner Scott to go with Edwin Diaz. To me, the Dodger bullpen is one of the parts of this team that has not been talked about enough, and I feel like they like it that way. Not to mention guys like Justin Robleski and benk Casparius. Evan Phillips, who we're gonna hear from in just a moment, is going to be like a trade deadline acquisition when he comes back from Tommy John surgery. So they have the potential to really be a big part of this team in twenty twenty six. Let's go back out to the phones before we hear from Evan Phillips, Luis and Costa Mesa. You're on Dodger Talk Live from Camelback Ranch. Hi, Luis, Hey Dave, are you doing great? How you doing good?
Speaker 6: Good? Quick question? I saw you Stephen, Stephen Nelson and Mickey Roll come into the Egyptian Theater but like ten days ago, and I just want to get your prospective of your opinion on the film Homecoming. I didn't get a chance to see the whole film, just watching the piece here and there, but yeah, I just want to get your perspective. What do you think about the film? Is it something that you expected to see to watch?
Speaker 2: No, it was completely different than I thought it would be. And I believe it's in theaters for only two days next week, February twenty third and twenty fourth, a lot of different theaters near wherever you live. But it's centered around the Dodgers and Cubs. Tokyo series centered around the Japanese stars that were returning home to play the first two major league seasons. But it kind of gives you an idea of how important the game of baseball is. To the culture of Japan. So they take you to little league fields, families, musicians, hairstylists. They just show you how much baseball means to so many different people and how it shapes the culture of Japan. So I recommend it.
Speaker 9: Right right.
Speaker 6: Yeah, that's also my initial thought that I would expecting the backstage leading to the twenty twenty five series, but it was totally opposite. It was more towards the outside stadium of how much the Yeah, baseball has really changed the culture, Japanese culture. I mean, it's not just fans, the rout became the root of the culture of the Japanese. So that was pretty great. That was pretty awesome.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it was awesome to see and certainly unexpected in a good way. Thanks for the phone call, Luis, appreciate it. I mentioned Evan Phillips. He is not going to be able to pitch for the Dodgers until the second half of the season Tommy John surgery last May, but a lot of teams had interest in doing what the Dodgers planned to do with Evan Phillips and bring him back the second half of the year, and Evan Phillips re signed for one year, six and a half million dollars. That's where the Dodgers' resources really come into play to be able to pay a pitcher that's only going to pitch the second half of the season, a reliever. Even at that six and a half million dollars, no other team was going to pay that. And that's why Evan Phillips or part of the reason why Evan Phillips came back. And he talked about just how a lot of teams started to show a lot of interest two weeks before spring training.
Speaker 12: I wouldn't say it was necessarily in doubt. You know, we had to have those conversations and explore, you know, the process of free agency. And I think my wife and I are glad that we're back here. There's certainly a level of familiarity that we were comfortable with and being back with this group that you know, started my rehab and he's gonna continue that rehab with me and you hopefully have us on track for a return at some points this season, but.
Speaker 9: You know, we'll see.
Speaker 12: I'm not too worried about the timeline yet, but definitely glad to be back in Dodger blue. And you know, it was a different offseason, but ultimately and they led us back here so overthrilled.
Speaker 2: It always feels good to be wanted. How many teams did show interest in you? And how how how did it feel to be pursued in that way?
Speaker 9: It was different.
Speaker 12: He was my first you know, crack at free agency, at least on this side of things. I'll say being a minor league free agent was probably less attractive to most teams, but yeah, it was different. It was nice to gauge interest and you know those plenty of teams came to kick tires and just check in and see.
Speaker 9: How my rehab was going, how I was feeling.
Speaker 12: And then when you push comes to shove, and it started to narrow it down what we wanted, you know, as a player, and you amaze and was hoping we were going to look for that narrator list down too, So it was it was interesting. Yeah, I didn't get too involved with the day to day conversations, and I think that was probably for the best. But you know, I was was filled in as needed, and then things came together pretty quick there in the last week or so, still doing just like long toss a few times a week, hoping to get on the bullpen. Or on the mound for for a bullpen next month. I'll start that mound progression here in the.
Speaker 9: Next couple of weeks.
Speaker 12: I think actually Tuesday, I'll throw off the mound for the first time. But it won't be to a catcher or anything. It will just be catcher standing up. And there's a slow, slow progression, you know, week by week for that point from that point, so plenty of steps ahead that's going to.
Speaker 9: Keep me busy, you know, here in Arizona.
Speaker 12: But definitely looking forward to that progression.
Speaker 2: What are your expectations on kind of setting a goal for yourself to pitch again in the game.
Speaker 12: I'm trying not to set too many expectations at this point. There's just too many boxes to check along the way. I think as we get closer to you know, the bullpens and and the live vps things like that, I'll I'll have my internal checklist, if you know, what I want to do execution wise and things like that.
Speaker 9: I'm going to things I think I'm going to need.
Speaker 12: To do to get you know, hitters out when it matters most. And that's you know, big reason why we wanted to sign back was to help us in October, and I think the Dodgers, you know, understand that I'm going to have that kind of runway to return to form. There won't be many expectations on my end early and I think on their end as well, so that that kind of relationship and familiarity that I spoke to earlier is going to be really important as I returned to games.
Speaker 2: Evan Phillips, one of the best relievers when he was healthy before undergoing Tommy John surgery, is going to return the second half of the season, and certainly with the cost at the trade deadline to acquire a top line reliever, getting a guy like Evan Phillips back off the injured list, and look, there's no guarantees that he's going to return to form, but there's a really good chance. With as long as this process has gone on and how the Dodgers have allowed Evan Phillips to be able to have an extended rehab, there's a very good chance he's going to come back and be effective. And when you look at the Dodger bullpen, like I mentioned, Blake Trning coming back, bouncing back at Guardo Enriquez, you got Jack Dreyer, you got Edwin Diaz, You got Tanner Scott, you got Ben Casparius, Will Klein remember him Game three of the World Series. You got guys like Bruce dar Graterol that's going to join the bullpen a certain point in time this season. I would assume first couple months of the year, Brock Stewart, probably second half of the season. Justin Robleski a swing guy. This Dodger bullpen, coupled with the starting rotation, certainly is going to be formidable and tough to handle. And tomorrow night, we have another Dodger Talk for you, live from Camelback Ranch in Glendale, Arizona, at seven o'clock. Max Mounsey is going to be our guest. We set that up before I saw the Dodgers social media post where he said, I guess they were asking different players which teammate would be able to do the most pushups and which one would be able to do the least well. Max months he took the easy way out and threw yours truly under the bus and said, I David vas Say would be the weakest guy and could not do push ups. I had a push up challenge a few springs back. I got to seven Okay, I feel like seven is enough. It's a mental block. Mental block. I was never grat at sit ups or push ups or running, so come on, give me a break. And happy birthday. Thank you Tim Kats for putting it on my radar. Happy birthday to huge Dodger fan Elizabeth Olsen. Very humbled that she watches the postgame shows as religiously as she does on Sports in at LA and hopefully she's become a new listener to Dodger Talk my day job. And hopefully we'll see Elizabeth at Dodger Stadium this upcoming season. Would love to meet her. So Happy birthday, Elizabeth Olsen from David Vassa, David Vasha and the Dodgers. Thanks to Ronnie Fossio back at our Bird Bank Studios. Thanks to you for listening. In case you missed any of the show, you can find it on the iHeartRadio app. Have a great rest of your night. See you