Speaker 1: The quest for the three peat has begun.
Speaker 2: Only four teams in Major League Baseball history have won three consecutive titles. The Dodgers are the favorites to become the fifth.
Speaker 1: This is World Champion Dodger Talk.
Speaker 3: Here we go again. We're going to running back to.
Speaker 4: Get in on the show called eight six six eight seven two five seven, and be sure to follow Dodger Talk wherever you get your podcasts.
Speaker 1: Here's your host, David Vase.
Speaker 5: Welcome the Dodger Talk.
Speaker 2: David Vasse with you until nine o'clock tonight here on AM five to seventy LA Sports. The Dodgers defeat the Brewers tonight by a final score of eleven to three, snapping a nine game regular season losing streak to Milwaukee. It goes back further than last year when Milwaukee beat the Dodgers all seven times. It goes back to twenty twenty four. So the Dodgers get that regular season win against the Brewers. You know what, I don't put a lot of stock in it, because the Dodgers swept the Brewers when he counted the most in the NLCS. So hard to freak out over losing nine consecutive regular season games to the Brewers when you swept them last year in the NLCS to go onto the World Series and win a second consecutive championship. But that happened, and the Dodgers were able to break it. I mean, Freddy Freeman even knew about it. He told me that he knew about that more than he knew about the Dodger bullpen consecutive scoreless inning streak, which the Dodger bullpen in twenty twenty six accomplished thirty six consecutive scoreless innings. Tonight, after Roki Sasaki went five innings, Alex Vesia and Tanner Scott and Kyle Hurt and Jonathan Hernandez came in to pitch the final four innings of tonight's game, and they put up four more zeros, and the Dodger bullpen now has the record, the modern era record in Dodger franchise history, for thirty six consecutive scoreless innings, breaking the streak that the nineteen ninety eight Dodger bullpen had of thirty three.
Speaker 5: Consecutive scoreless innings.
Speaker 2: And in case you don't know who is in that nineteen ninety eight bullpen, Mark Guthrie Brad Klantz, Jim Bruski, Antonio Osuna, Scott Radinski, and Darren Dreyfert. Those were the Dodger relievers in nineteen ninety eight that combined to pitch thirty three consecutive scoreless sinnings during that stretch of time. For the twenty twenty six Dodgers, they've used twelve different relievers to combine to have thirty six consecutive scoreless innings.
Speaker 5: Can you name all twelve? I'll help you.
Speaker 2: Kyle Hurt, Jack Dryer, Alex Vesia Tanner, Scott will Klein, Edgardo Enriquez, Jonathan Hernandez, Blake, Trinan, Charlie Barnes, Wyatt Mills, Chase McDermott, and Paul Gervais. Those are the twelve Dodger relievers that have contributed to this record setting thirty six consecutive scoreless innings. And for the Dodgers, if they want to keep going, which I'm sure they do, the major league record is held by the Kansas City Athletics of nineteen sixty six that bullpen pitched forty four consecutive scoreless innings. So history was made tonight and the Dodger bullpen is exceeding expectations. Kyle Hurt got out of a big jam in the seventh inning. He was able to get Andrew Vaughn to ground out to Mookie Betts to end the seventh. And we all know, after what I told you about Andrew Vaughn last night, he's been a thorn in the Dodger's side going back to last year wearing a Brewer uniform. So that was not a given. And I couldn't believe this when Joe Davis shared this with us. Kyle Hurt's fastball has the second most swing and miss of any other pitcher except for the padres Mason Miller. How about that, There's only one other reliever that has gotten as much swing and miss on their fastball than Kyle Hurt, and that's Mason Miller. And look, Kyle Hurt, he has two pitches. It's a fastball change up situation and it's been devastating. The Dodger bullpen has a combined thirty six consecutive scoreless innings. Well, Kyle Hurt has his own personal scoreless inning street going right now. Twelve consecutive scoreless innings for Kyle Hurt, the kid out of USC the local kid. I am so happy for him. He had a long road back from elbow surgery, and I always knew there was something about him when he was healthy that he would be a really good relief pitcher. And he's proving a lot of people right. So congratulations to Kyle Hurt and the eleven other relievers that now hold the distinction of having the longest consecutive scoreless inning streak of any Dodger bullpen eight sixty six seven two five seventy is the phone number. Just a slide update, We'll get that out of the way. No, I did not go down the slide today, but Alex Call tried to convince or request to go down the slide. But no active players are allowed to go down the slide for obvious reasons. And I don't need any Alex Call blood on my hands. Okay, I don't need Alex Call going down the slide and tweaking his ankle or running into a wall. I think that's a good rule to have, not just by the Dodgers, but by everybody. No active players should be going down that slide.
Speaker 5: Good thing.
Speaker 2: Ta Oscar Hernandez didn't go down the slide because he had a big night tonight, tying his career high with six r rbies. He had to go ahead three run home run in the fourth inning, which turned out to be his first home run this season off a left handed pitcher. Robert Gasser was the victim. Ken Rosenthal on Fox Sports caught up with Tao after the game.
Speaker 6: Tayo, three run homer to tie your career high with six RBIs. But let's start with Rocus. Tosaki allowed three runs in the first and that was it. We retired his last ten hitters. How impressed were you by the way he recovered?
Speaker 7: I mean the big the biggest thing is like giving those three runs and then vocals and getting back attacking the hitters and then hitting the strike zones, getting ahead of the count. You know, he's been great, Uh in the last like three start. I think he's still learning, still get in the confidence back, and I think we gotta see the Sasaki they used to see independently.
Speaker 6: Your three run homer in the fourth, you hit an oh pitch, Casser went.
Speaker 5: Sweeper change up and you came back to the street.
Speaker 1: What were you thinking of?
Speaker 7: I mean something on the play. I mean I was not trying to hit hit a homer, especially not a go to count trying to short you sway tried to put the ball in play. I just react good to that one.
Speaker 6: Dave Roberts dropped you in the order. You hit seventh today, you hit eighth quite a bit lately, Tayo, how did you react to that?
Speaker 1: Did it help you all?
Speaker 7: I mean as baseball I'd talk today if I always saw him anywhere he wanted me to play or hit in the lineup. I'm gonna be one hundred percent trying to do my best and just strength to do my job, and that is to help the teams win. You So it doesn't matter for me there are four or five, six, seven, whatever it is. I'm gonna go there with the same focus and just trying to do my job.
Speaker 8: Well.
Speaker 6: It was a great day to congratulations.
Speaker 2: Taoscar Hernandez a big night. And look, I believe that it was a challenge to Taoscar Hernandez, and Taoscar Hernandez has responded big time to that challenge. Since Dave Roberts first dropped him eighth in the lineup. In his last fifteen games, Tao is hitting three point fifty eight with an ops of over one thousand three home runs, fourteen RBIs so ti Oscar Hernandez. The reality is he's a streaky hitter and when he's on a heater, he's on a heater like this. And the one thing I'll tell you is, don't forget how clutch and how many big home runs and plays Taoscar Hernandez has had the last two years in the postseason for the Dodgers. You can talk all you want about ever since Otani got here, the Dodgers have won back to back championships. Ever since tai Oscar Hernandez got here, the Dodgers have won back to back championships. Don't forget it and don't jump off the tail bandwagon. Eight six six nine eight seven two five seventy is the phone number. Dodgers beat the Brewers tonight, eleven to three. Let's go out to the phones. Mark in Redondo Beach, you're on Dodger Talk.
Speaker 9: How you doing, Mark, I'm doing pretty good. I just, first of all, I wanted to check to see how your right arm is.
Speaker 5: Doing doing good.
Speaker 2: It's been doing good since doctor Shinn put it back together in twenty twenty two.
Speaker 9: Right, No, I know, I was I was hoping that things are doing well for you and I hate Yeah. I was just really encouraged by the Dodgers and I think we're going to go all the way again this year. Just yeah, it what's a little troubling. Sometimes it appears that they're a little on the flat side or flat footed in terms of offense. But at the same time, you've also got some pretty significant pictures on the other side of those days.
Speaker 5: So it's Mark, I'll tell you something about that.
Speaker 2: I'll tell you why it appears to be that way sometimes, Mark, because I've asked players about it recently and they told me. Number One, pitchers are pitching the Dodgers differently than they pitch other teams. So they're seeing a game plan that they were not prepared for coming into it a lot of times because pitchers are pitching them differently than they pitch other teams. Number Two, the Dodgers are a veteran team that have won back to back championships and understand how to pace themselves for the regular season. All these guys, Mark, I think we lose sight of the fact have played more games than anybody else. They have started seasons before anybody else. Each of the last two years, so you have to forgive them some nights where the adrenaline isn't as high as it may be for other nights. And I feel like we all need to grant them a pass here and there because of all those things in play.
Speaker 9: Well, I don't think they need forgiveness because I always reflect on what what Lasorda said was, Uh, you know what they call a team that lost forty games World champions and so we're gonna lose games, you know, And so I'm just wondering when can I call back and get the prediction from you for the uh, for the whole season in terms of wins. Usually that's kind of in July.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I'll tell you right now. I think there we're looking at ninety five wins this year. I don't want over one hundred because when they win one hundred, they haven't won the World Series. But under one hundred wins they won back to back championships.
Speaker 9: Okay, very good, all right, thank you, all.
Speaker 5: Right, Mark, thank you for the phone call. Eight six six seventy.
Speaker 2: Yeah, those are three things that was told to me by a couple of these veteran players, you know, during those two weeks where it wasn't looking very pretty for the Dodgers. They reminded me of those things, and even I forget at times when you get caught up in the individual game that the Dodgers the last two years have played more games than anybody else. They started the last two seasons in South Korea and Tokyo respectively, and started the season earlier than anybody, So pitchers are pitching them differently. The adrenaline is not going to be there every single night. And see, these guys have played a lot of games and they understand how to navigate a full regular season, So all of those things are in play as the Dodgers go through the one hundred and sixty two game marathon. That's why you need a guy like Kyle Tucker to give a little bit more because he wasn't part of the group the last two years. That's what you need from him, and we haven't really seen it. We've seen flashes, but we haven't seen consistently that type of, you know, spark that the Dodgers are looking for. And I'm not look talking about a spark to be raw raw. I'm talking about a spark to hit to get on bass, to drive in runs. And to pick other guys up. Tonight Tucker was pretty good. He got on base a couple of times tonight, one for four with a walk score twice. So just a little more engagement for Tucker consistently would go a long way for this team. Eight six six, eight seven two five seventy is the phone number tonight's game brought to you by Modello Modello the mark of a fighter. When we continue live from Milwaukee, we'll take more of your phone calls. We have two lines open at eight sixty six nine eighty seven two five seventy. Plus, we'll give you an update on Max Smuntsey. We'll let you know what the plan is for Key Gay Hernandez. And today is the anniversary of Sean Green's nineteen total base game here in Milwaukee in two thousand and two, so we'll get to all that. And Adam Wainwright on Clayton Kershaw, his peer, two guys that pitched at a very high level and were warriors on two different teams.
Speaker 5: Wainwright played his entire career for the Cardinals.
Speaker 2: Kershaw, as you know, his entire future Hall of Fame career for the Dodgers. So you'll hear what Adam Wainwright had to say reflecting on the rivalry between him and Clayton when we continued to nine o'clock live from Milwaukee after the Dodgers beat the Brewers eleven to three on a five to seventy LA Sports on.
Speaker 4: Air at AM five seventy, online at amfive seventy LA sports dot com, and available by podcast on the iHeartRadio app.
Speaker 1: This is Dodger Talk with David Bassan.
Speaker 10: Oh two pitch, he swingson, hits a high drive down the left field line. This fall is off the palling gone hits a three run home run. Tioscar Hernandez and the Dodgers take a four to three lane in Milwaukee.
Speaker 2: Ti Oscar Hernandez never doubt him. He's a really good player and has come up big for the Dodgers so many times the last two years. He comes up big in Milwaukee tonight as he hit a go ahead three run home run in the fourth inning. He drives in six runs to help the Dodgers blow out the Brewers eleven to three. Daniels Jewelers presents the home run Forecast for your chance to win a fifty dollars Daniels Jeweler's gift card. Visit AM five to seventy lasports dot com, use the keyword home run, enter your name and you could win. Daniels Jewelers Own the Dream eight six six nine to eighty seven two five seventy is the phone number. Wanted to give you an update on Max Mounsey, who last night left the game in the eighth inning after being hit by a pitch on his right wrist. Dave Roberts said they're still swelling in that right wrist, but seen Monsey before the game and on the field after the game, he seemed to be in good spirits and what he said after the game last night made you believe that there is no fracture in that right wrist. The Dodgers, for precautionary reasons, may have Monthsy go for a CT scan on Monday, just to make sure there's no microfracture, but he's not going to play tomorrow, and Dave Roberts told us Max Monsey's not going to play Monday night when the Dodgers return home either, because keyk Hernandez is going to be activated. Keyk Hernandez is wrapping up his extended rehab assignment in Oklahoma City basically his spring training, because he was not able to participate in any baseball games during spring training, and usually batters want to get about fifty plate appearances, and Keyk's been able to accomplish that.
Speaker 5: KEI k A.
Speaker 2: You know, I'm not going to put a lot of stock in these numbers. He was over for tonight and in forty two at bats has a two fourteen batting average with only three extra base hits. But the one thing that I've noticed is that Key Hernandez has played exclusively at third base his entire rehab assignment. He hasn't been moving around, he hasn't played the outfield a lot. He hasn't played second base much. It's been third base. So Dave Roberts said, Kyle Freeland is going to start for the Rockies, a left handed starter, and with Muncie's right wrist still swollen and a little sore, just to be cautious, Key Y Hernandez will start at third base on Monday night. And that's a good thing as he come off the il. Now the Dodgers just need Tommy Edmund to get going on his rehab assignment. Probably the similar amount of time that Keik got that. You want to get Tommy Edmund close to fifty plate appearances at Triple A and then he'll be activated. So that's a good thing. And don't I don't know who the Dodgers are going to send down, and I wouldn't even rule out right now, Monsey going on the ten day IL and the Dodgers not having to make a decision on Santiago Espinal or his son Kim when Key Hernandez is activated. Celebrate ninety years of racing at Santa Anita Park every Friday through Sunday with millions and payouts every race day. For heart pounding action, new experiences, visit Santa Anita dot com slash events. I gotta mention this during Dodger Talk. Not only ta Oscar Hernandez with six RBIs, but Freddie Freeman on base five times tonight, including his five, one hundred and sixty first career double. He's just four away from Tyan Carlos Beltran for the twenty eighth most doubles in baseball history. And Freddie scored three times tonight and also stole his second base of the season. So another good night for Freddie Freeman. He's getting on base. He's starting to look like Freddie Freeman again taking great at bats. Let's go out to San Fernando Valley. Carlos, you're on Dodger Talk Live from Milwaukee.
Speaker 8: Hi, Carlos, How you doing? David So So, I'm calling because you know, I think you're gonna agree with me when I say that. You know, a lot a lot of fans, specially out here in the eight one eight, you know, they kind of jump on Roki a little bit, you know, And I'm thinking, and this is the part where I want you to I would like for you to agree with me that he's getting better. He's getting better. I mean, he got touched up a little bit that first you need, but I mean if you've watched them the second, the third, to fourth and the fifth, you know, like he kept it together, he responded, And I just I just think that we just have the I haven't seen.
Speaker 1: The best yet.
Speaker 8: You know what do you think?
Speaker 5: I hope you're right. I hope you're right.
Speaker 2: I do agree with you that he has gotten better the last three starts. I mean, he had his best start of his major league career in Anaheim against the Angels, and tonight it showed a lot to bounce back after that rough first inning and make the necessary adjustment. So I agree with you. He is getting better. And the Dodgers are probably the only team in baseball that is contending for a championship that could allow Rokie to have on the job training. Nobody else could allow this to happen, that daft.
Speaker 8: Hump, that death we have with pitching kind of Lets us give him a longer leash.
Speaker 1: I love it.
Speaker 9: I love it, all.
Speaker 5: Right, Carlos, you're a Rokie believer.
Speaker 3: I like it.
Speaker 2: And look a thirty five pitch first inning. Your thinking thinking the Brewers are going to just make contact all night on Rokie and he wasn't going to make the adjustments. But as Adam Wainwright said during the Fox Sports broadcast, they couldn't touch his slider. They were not on his slider. He was reading the swings. Will Smith did a great job to help him navigate, and he retired the last ten batters that he faced. So, yeah, he is improving, and let's see what he could do the next time. Because the jury is still out and it start to start with Roki Sasaki. Let's go out to Louisville. Bill listening on the iHeartRadio app. Hi, Bill, you're on Dodger Talk.
Speaker 11: Hey, Dave, I wanted to get your take. I'm like, I was telling your guy the elephant in the room, man, Mookie, the guy's hitting one to sixty six. They got him second in the lineup. I just I want to get your take on him.
Speaker 2: Okay, Well, I'll say this, the last two games have not been pretty. But I thought, up until these last two games in Milwaukee, he's been hitting the ball hard, but unfortunately hitting it right at people. And there's been some nice plays against some of those hard hit balls that he's hit. So when that happens and you're not getting results and then you go into a little bit of a mini funk, all of a sudden, your numbers are going to look the way they're looking. And the one thing I'll say is, let's judge Mooki for his season after coming back off the IL, because you know, the first part of it it wasn't great, so why not just start new. But I will say this, Bill, if it continues, I would consider moving him down in the order, maybe hitting sixth.
Speaker 11: Right. Yeah, I'm not ready to do.
Speaker 2: That right now, because I thought he was having good at bats, but these first two games in Milwaukee have not looked great.
Speaker 11: Yeah, but I have faith in I keep thinking he's going to come back and give us his all because he always has. But it's just since the virus last year, he just hasn't been the same.
Speaker 2: He was looking good in spring training, he was, and like I said, he's been hitting the ball hard up until these two games in Milwaukee. So I'm with you, I'm I'm not I'm not ready to concede anything when it comes to Mookie Betts yet. So I think it's just part of it and he'll he'll start to get that average up and get results.
Speaker 11: Yeah, let's see what he does, all right, man, Thanks.
Speaker 2: Thanks for listening to us all the way out there in Louisville, Kentucky. Dodgers got two catchers from Louisville thanks to Marty Lamb the Dodgers scout out that way and Will Smith and Dalton Rushing. Hey, I want to remind you my friends at Downey Hunday, big Memorial Day sale going on right now. You want to head down to Downey Hunday. They got big savings and it's a great showroom. It's a great place. It's a party, it's not a car dealership, and then make you feel right at home. So check out Downey Hunday over this Memorial Day weekend. Eight six six, nine eighty seven, two five seventy is the phone number. Well, I want to share what Dave Roberts had to say about Sean Green's big game in two thousand and two. On this day, May twenty third, two thousand and two, Sean Green was six for six with four home runs in nineteen total bases. Dave Roberts was on the Dodgers, but he wasn't in the starting lineup because there was a left handed starter on the mound, so his platoon partner, Marquise Grissom was in the starting lineup, and Dave was reminded that today with Sean Green's nineteen total base anniversary game.
Speaker 12: Yeah, Sean was scuffling before we got here, and then he had. He went four to six for six, four homers.
Speaker 3: I forgot how.
Speaker 12: Many nineteen total bases maybe, and they had a lefty on the mound, so I was on that I didn't start, so I got to I got to watch Shawn Green have a huge day. Yeah, Shawn's day was special day game here. Yeah, Sunday. I think it was a Sunday right, It was in a Sunday getaway there's a getaway day day game. We went to Italian lunch the day before. There used to be a little spot where the back in the day was a spot. Things went down there. So I don't know. I don't want to talk too much about it. Oh, I was where on the street.
Speaker 5: Hey, you swim with the fishes.
Speaker 2: If you tell anybody what happened at that Italian restaurant in Milwaukee, you'll be swimming in Lake Michigan.
Speaker 5: Okay.
Speaker 2: Anyway, Sean Green on this date in two thousand and two nineteen total bases, six for six with four home runs. Sean Green still shares the major league record with Nick Kurtz of the Sacramento A's, who had that type of game last year. So whenever you come to Milwaukee, if you're a Dodger fan, that remembers Seawn Green comes to mind, among other men.
Speaker 5: Maurice and we had.
Speaker 2: Did a whole tribute to Chris Taylor speaking of memories in Milwaukee last night, and he decided not to retire after all. He actually broke his forearm in Triple A Salt Lake City and was gonna retire and I said that to you last night, but decided today against it. He's gonna stay active and go on the Triple A injured list. So sorry, Chris, I'm not doing another tribute when you retire officially the next time. We did it last night. You could podcast it whenever you decide to make it official, But that won't change anything that Chris Taylor has done, nor will it change anything that Clayton Kershaw or Adam Wainwright accomplished in their incredible careers. I had a chance to catch up with Adam Wainwright before today's game. He was on the call with Joe Davis and aj Prazinski and for the first time had an extended conversation with him and had a chance to ask him about the rivalry the respect between him and Clayton Kershe off he found a way to come back from a couple of different injuries to continue to go out his own way. How important do you believe it was for him, like you to go out on your own terms.
Speaker 13: Oh yeah, so, I mean, just you still want to have regrets, you know, you don't want to look back and say I wish I would have played one more year.
Speaker 3: You know, you give it everything you.
Speaker 13: Have and play as I remember Jeff Soupon told me one time, play as long as you can, you know, because you can't come back into this game ten years after you get done and go back in and play in Major League Baseball.
Speaker 3: Just not how it works.
Speaker 13: So our bodies are are are a lot at a certain amount of time, you know, and you got to you got to grind through some injuries, and you got to play through hurt, and you got to learn how to get the job done sometimes when you feel like crap, And that's just part of it.
Speaker 3: That's part of being a pro. And I always loved that part of it.
Speaker 13: You know, like if I could, if I could get my team to believe that no matter what, I was gonna go out there and fight, no matter how I felt, they knew I was going to compete my butt off.
Speaker 3: You know, that was a win for me right there.
Speaker 5: How much mutual respect you and Clayton have for each other.
Speaker 3: Well, I don't know about From his side. I have lots of respect for him.
Speaker 13: From my side, I think we're you know, he's a he's a good friend.
Speaker 3: Of mine.
Speaker 13: And uh, he was one of the guys I told him this.
Speaker 3: He hated.
Speaker 13: He always hated when out because I'm a hugger and I'm a words of affirmation guy.
Speaker 3: Yeah, and he's he's not so much. And so he would be like, gosh, I hate when you do this.
Speaker 13: But you know, I always love to tell him, like, listen, man, you're one of the guys that pushes me to be better.
Speaker 3: You know. They're one of the guys that when I go into the.
Speaker 13: Gym, I know I got to get that third fourth set when I don't want to.
Speaker 3: You know, you're one of the guys that I get.
Speaker 13: Up early to do this stuff for and and and put those extra sweat you know, beads on your forehead because I know guys like him were doing it, you know. And so I always was chasing him. I wanted to be the cy young guy every year. He just never would let me because he kept having a one ady r a you know. And and uh, and I see guys when the cy young now I'm like man's because they don't have Clayton Kershaw and his prime to go up against, you know, Max Serzer and his prime royality and his Prime, like a bunch of my years. I'm like that could have won, you know, and today, but it was always so fun competing against Clayton. He's just as great a competitor as there's ever been in our game. He made me go to bed early and wake up earlier, you know, just to try to compete with him. So I'll always be appreciative of him that.
Speaker 3: You both were known for.
Speaker 2: Uncle Charlie, did you ever look at the curveballs and the similarities. I know you're a right hander, he was a left hander. But was there any parallels.
Speaker 3: Well, I think we.
Speaker 13: Used we used them similarly. I mean, his curveball was such a contrast to his fastball.
Speaker 4: Though.
Speaker 13: You know, he's coming hard in the fastball, hard end with that nasty slider, and that was probably like ninety percent of the time you were going to see fastball slider, and then all of a sudden, you know, he'd pop that that straight over the top like he's throwing a washer into a five gallon bucket curveball, and you just can't even it looks so different out of his hand. You can't look for that because you had to be ready for ninety four nine five n heavy, and so it just was such a surprise.
Speaker 3: Everybody was always out front of it. Mine, you know, that kind of knew it was coming.
Speaker 13: Eventually you faced me, You're gonna see a curveball most likely, and uh and I never had Clayton's great fastball really, so.
Speaker 3: We used them. We used them similarly to get them off our fastballs, you know, he he.
Speaker 13: He did it as more of like a like a there's no way you can look for this. I did it as a I need to get you out with my heater, So I want you to try to hit this curveball. And if you try to hit this curveball, most likely you're gonna get out. So that so then you know, it kind of played in my favor that way.
Speaker 3: But as I got.
Speaker 13: Older and I lost my heater, uh, the curveball wasn't that much of a contrast anymore.
Speaker 3: It became very hard.
Speaker 2: Yeah, And I know Clayton Halls used to talk about change up envy, but he never wanted to compromise just his other pitches by throwing that pitch. Did you ever have anything any change up envy or any other pitch envy?
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 13: Always, I always wanted a great change up, and I had an absolute banger of a change up every spring training that I got lots of outs with. I got lots of outs in spring with my change up every year, and it was always with a new grip and a new swagger always.
Speaker 3: I called it my Devastator.
Speaker 13: And ever go into every year like really confident to throw my Devastator, and I'd come out of the first game of the season and I would have thrown one or two, you know, and it's like, dang it. I thought I was gonna throw twelve or fifteen of them, you know, And so I did a little bit. But the same thing he said, you know, I knew that I could get you out with my sinker and my curveball and my cutter. He knew he could get you out with his four seamer and his slider and his curveball. And you know, what you don't ever want to do is give up extra base hits or put yourself in a bad count throwing your fourth best pitch if.
Speaker 3: You don't have confidence in them, he.
Speaker 5: H before I let you go.
Speaker 2: One thing that Clayton always talked about, especially towards the end of his career, is just go out there and compete with what you have.
Speaker 5: That's something you did as well.
Speaker 2: Is there anybody or any few guys in the game that stand out to you now that have that same type of compete that you and Clayton had.
Speaker 13: Well, my favorite guy to watch is Zach Wheeler. You know, I just love I love watching him pitch. And he's an actual pitcher, you know, he goes.
Speaker 3: Out there and competes.
Speaker 13: I mean, guys like Trek Scoble, they're they're so great because he has he has the mindset to go along with the stuff. There's tons of guys of our in our game that have stuff. There's tons of guys that throw upwards one hundred miles an hour now, uh.
Speaker 3: But they don't have that dog inside of them, you know.
Speaker 13: And and Zach Wheeler and uh and Trek they're they're they're my probably my two favorite guys because they're.
Speaker 3: Just out there.
Speaker 13: They're putting their cajonas on the line every pitch. You know, they're they're they're out there just fighting like dogs.
Speaker 3: And I love that.
Speaker 13: You know, as a pitcher, if you're not competing your tail off of your team, I don't really know what you're doing out there.
Speaker 2: How cool was that what Adam Wainwright had to say about Clayton Kershaw. I always find that really intriguing when you have two peers, two guys that competed the same way in different uniforms, and guys that played for one team across the coast. I know Wainwright was in the Midwest, Kershaw was in LA for his entire career. But to hear what Wainwright had to say about Kershaw, two guys that certainly competed at the highest levels. They faced off against each other so many times in their careers, fought through a lot of injuries to continue to pitch and go out on their own terms. Kershaw three time World Series champion, Waynwright a one time World Series champion. Kershaw an MVP, three times cy Young Award winner, obviously one of the greatest pitchers of our generation. But certainly I know Clayton has a lot of respect for Adam Wainwright. And you just heard what Adam Wainwright had to say about Clayton Kershaw.
Speaker 5: So that was really special for me.
Speaker 2: And to hear the full conversation with Wayno Adam Waynwright. You can find it on the iHeartRadio app. We'll end the show right there. Coming up tomorrow, Yamamoto will be on the mound for the Dodgers trying to win the series in Milwaukee. We all remember what he did in Game two of the NLCS last year, pitching a complete game. Yama Moto this season is three and four with an ERA of three point thirty two, going up against Brandon Sprote, who's one and two with an ERA of five seventy five. We already know two things. Dalton Rushing will be catching and Max Munsey will not be at third base as he continues to nurse that right wrist that was hit by a pitch last night. Thanks to Colinie back at our Burbank studios, Thanks to Dwayne McDonald out here at American Family Field, and thanks to you for listening. In case you missed any of the show, you can find it on the iHeartRadio app.
Speaker 5: Once again.
Speaker 2: The final score tonight from Milwaukee, the Dodgers defeat the Brewers eleven to three. Have a great rest of your Memorial Day weekend. Be safe and we'll talk to you to more. Ro ow see yam and when.
Speaker 5: You when, when you're looking at It's true
Speaker 10: Time, said it away time, said it