Speaker 1: And an exclusive interview with David Bassey for Dodger Talk. We're joined right now by a man that broke camp with the Dodgers and has returned and certainly is a teammate favorite. That's the one and only Santiago Espinal Santiago, thanks a lot for the time, appreciate it.
Speaker 2: Thank you guys for having me. Thank you.
Speaker 1: Okay, so we haven't talked since you came back. Can you tell us what those ten days were like for you not having a team and then deciding to re sign with the Dodgers.
Speaker 3: You know, it was I knew what was going on, and the Dodgers told me from the beginning what was going to happen and everything. So they were very upfront with me, which I really appreciate that. And you know, I was a home just waiting. I was in La because I got a house over there, and then I was just waiting for a call see where anything happened. And you know, at the end of the day, I was I decided to come back over here since I already you know, made it a family. I know everybody, they already you know, made me feel comfortable with me and my family.
Speaker 2: They treat me well, so why not stay?
Speaker 3: You know, and I especially on a on a team you know that that is winning championship, you know, where there's a lot of experience and stuff like that. So you know, it wasn't tough at all. It was you know, it was pretty easy. And uh, you know, to come back to the locker room. It just felt like I never left.
Speaker 1: That's an interesting decision to make, right you know, you have a great team, a team that has a chance to three p to do something historic. How do you balance that with your own personal wants of wanting to play more rather than being a guy that comes off the bench for the best team in baseball?
Speaker 3: Yeah, you know it just knowing the what's my job is? You know, and in spring training that already told me what my job is going to be, whether I make the team, you know, coming over here, I know I wasn't going to be playing a lot or no, I wasn't going to be playing every day and stuff like that.
Speaker 2: But my job is to get already prepared. It just for any.
Speaker 3: Situation that they need me. I'm there, you know, and I've been taking advantage of the situations that I've been playing, and you know, just like I told people, you know, how can I add a little bit to a winning championship team?
Speaker 2: You know, how can I add? How can I? You know?
Speaker 3: And I feel like my defense, a little bit of offense and stuff like that, it's something that adds to a to a winning championship team. You know, maybe you know, moving the guy over, you know, doing the doing the little things right.
Speaker 1: Hey, Santiago Espinal and Mookie bet sat back to back home runs this year, So don't short change yourself.
Speaker 2: No no, no, no, no, no, no no. You know, we just got there, just working, just working.
Speaker 1: Hey, Santiago Espinal, it seems like there was never a doubt that you were coming back. Am I gathering that correctly? Even if ki K stayed healthy, you were coming back some way somehow.
Speaker 2: Uh, you know, I was. I was thinking about for sure.
Speaker 3: I was looking for an opportunity where you know, obviously I wanted to play more and stuff like that. But you know, the Dodgers really call me right away when Kiki stuff happened.
Speaker 2: They told me the doors are open. We get it.
Speaker 3: We understand that you have probably other opportunity and stuff like that, you know, but the doors are open for you to come back over here if you want to.
Speaker 2: And you know, it was an easy decision for me.
Speaker 3: Also, my wife is pregnant, so we're expecting the next month, so we were already in LA. We were already making plans for the baby to be in La too as well, So you know, it was an easy decision for me to stay here too.
Speaker 1: Well, congratulations to you and your wife. Are you trying to make it a surprise or do you know if it's a boy or girl.
Speaker 2: It's a girl. It's a girl.
Speaker 1: That's great, a girl.
Speaker 2: Dad, Yeah, go to that. It's going to be amazing.
Speaker 1: Yes, it will be. Santiago Espinal is our guest. So you're back in LA. You're back on this team that has a chance to do something historic. But you guys have to navigate the regular season. How are you guys treating each game like it matters, but also understanding there's a bigger goal in mind.
Speaker 3: Of course, I feel like we can focus was going to happen in the future. You know, I think we were very press into what we have right now, and you know that's winning games. You know, today's a new opportunity to win another game and then go back to home and then you know, win another series, so you know, but we can't focus on what happens in the future. But right now we just focus in the present and that that is today's game. Today we got to go out there and compete.
Speaker 2: All right.
Speaker 1: Thank you for the time. You're fitting in perfectly. That's what all the guys say. You got to be where your feet are, Yes, sir, you say, that's what it is, Santiago Espinal. Everybody's happy that you found your way back to the Dodgers. Thanks for the time and keep it going.
Speaker 2: Thank you, Thank you so much.