Speaker 1: The quest for the three peat has begun.
Speaker 2: Only four teams in Major League Baseball history have won three consecutive titles. The Dodgers are the favorites to become the fifth.
Speaker 1: This is world Champion Dodger Talk.
Speaker 2: Here we go again, Rgara running back to get in on.
Speaker 1: The show called eight six six eighty seven two five seventy and be sure to follow Dodger Talk wherever you get your podcasts. Here's your host, David vasselast.
Speaker 2: Day, welcome the Dodger Talk. David Vase with you until eleven o'clock tonight here on AM five to seventy LA Sports. We have phone lines open at eight sixty six nine eight seven two five seventy. Jose Moto will check in in fifteen minutes. Also, we will get you that snail Zilla update that I missed last night. We will hear from Justin Robleski and Miguel Rojas, who had a very uncharacteristic night. For Miguel Rojas, I can't remember a game like that that Miguel Rojas has played for the Dodgers. Probably the first one, and that's going back to his first stint with the Dodgers. It was just one of those nights, and I hate it when guys say that's just baseball, But in a lot of ways tonight it was just baseball because the Dodgers had an opportunity to blow this game open in the fifth inning against Mike Lorenzen, where he was in a heap of trouble with the bases loaded. He actually forced in a run by walking in a run, and Max Munths he hit a bullet to right field, or this game is blown open if it's it to the left twenty thirty feet or to the right twenty thirty feet, or maybe just five miles an hour lighter. But he could have broken this game open with that hit. And that seemed to be the story of the first five innings, where Mike Lorenzen was walking a high wire act and the Dodgers really allowed him to stay in this game. He benefited by a lot of good luck. The Dodgers were hitting the ball at a lot of guys, and the Rockies in the eighth inning were hitting the ball where there weren't and when they did it the ball where there was somebody, it went off the glove of Miguel Rojas, or a bunt on the third base side, nobody home at third base, Alex Friedlan unwisely throws the ball to Rojas on the run, ball gets away, goes into the Dodger dugout the go ahead run scores, and those are things that take us by surprise because we don't usually see the Dodgers make mistakes like we saw in the eighth inning, and we usually see other teams make those mistakes and the Dodgers usually take advantage of it. So a very uncharacteristic night for Miguel Rojas, not only the two mistakes in the eighth inning, the mental mistake and also the physical mistake, but also in the fifth inning. He's so good and Dave Roberts relies on him to be that guy who laid down the bunts in safety squeeze situations, and he couldn't do that tonight in the fifth inning, and that cost the Dodgers a run as well. So just an off night for Miguel Rojas. And I love what Dave Roberts had to say. If there's any player Dodgers are going to give grace to, it's going to be Miguel Rojas. Come on, this is such an aberration from a player like that. Let's hear from Miguel, who stood at his locker and took accountability earlier tonight on Sports at LA.
Speaker 3: Yeah, obviously the ground bole I got the opportunity to catch the ball and make the play and gettle Saturday inning there, that's a physical error. But I'm way more disappointed by the other player when I I kind of froze and I I was like all over like all over the second base over there, and I shouldn't be there. I should have been on third base, and we keep the getting tired right there and give us an opportunity to win. So physical errors happened.
Speaker 2: And I'm okay with that.
Speaker 3: You know, I'm not perfect and I'm gonna make errors, and physical errors are okay, but mental errors are the ones that are kind of like disappointed, like I should.
Speaker 2: Have been on third base.
Speaker 3: I shouldn't I shouldn't be putting Alex Frielan on the situation of throwing the board with me on the round there. That's the that's the one that I kind of like kick myself for. Did you think he was holding up but second initially or just no, the bone to third to the third base, It is kind of surprised me a little bit, because I mean, in that situation, you're trying to bond to first because of he's holding the bag. So when he bonded to third, I kind of like I watched the play and then I realized that, oh, I gotta go to third, and that's when I felt like I made a mistake.
Speaker 2: All Right, there's Miguel Rojas on sports near La taking accountability and the ground ball that he missed from Tyler Freeman that would have been an inning ending double play and none of the other stuff would have happened. But, like I said, a very uncharacteristic eighth inning for Miguel Rojas. The Rockies take advantage to beat the Dodgers four to three and snap an eleven game losing streak at Dodgers Stadium with the win, Tonight eight sixty six, eight seven two five seventy is the phone number I gotta go to kenan Newport Beach because every time the Dodgers have a rare loss, Rick Monday turns to me and says, I bet Ken's going to call tonight, And look who called tonight? Ken and Newport Beach.
Speaker 4: Yeah, it's nothing better than being infabous in a bad way.
Speaker 2: Okay, you've got a call Ken when they win next time, or I'm not putting you on after a loss.
Speaker 4: Yeah, normally I would, but you know I've been under a.
Speaker 2: Little Normally you don't call after wins. Come on, this is like not one near two years running. Ken, Come on, you notorious for after lost phone calls.
Speaker 5: You're right.
Speaker 4: Anyway, probably one of the worst games they've played this year. There's a couple of things that really bothered me. Number one, you've got your catcher at third and you've got to sacrifice bunch and he's thrown up by five feet. That's a little too much. You got the bases loaded, the guys just walked two players, one of them in with the bases loaded, and you got a three to zero count TAMUNSI and he's swinging. Yeah, he almost crushed it.
Speaker 2: But not only did crush it, he just crushed it at the right at a at the right fielder. He did crush it.
Speaker 4: Right, But I think you need to take one pitch there.
Speaker 2: Then I think if it's te Oscar Hernandez Ken, they're getting the take signed. But not Max Muncy. He knows the strike zone way too well to get the takes.
Speaker 6: Here's the thing that nobody's talking about. Last twenty five games. Haajaz is betting two five and that's not a slump.
Speaker 2: He's in the black hole of the two spot in the Dodgers starting lineup. Tommy Edmonds should be the number two hitter in the second half of the season. Ken or move Freddie back to the two spot now that he's swinging the bat well?
Speaker 4: I agree, I agree, And you know it's really hurting the team because he just stopped hitting them. Is that an All Star kind of thing.
Speaker 2: I don't know, but it's not an All star thing. It's for whatever, he's not a number two hitter. I think we all know that the Dodgers have just been searching for a number two hitter because they really haven't found one. Mookie was struggling earlier in the year. Dave moved him the cleanup. It's worked, Freddy Freeman. I mean, just look at the Dodgers' number two hitters this year. They're hitting two hundred. You know these numbers. But I'm in favor of Now we'll re examining that after the All Star break and maybe considering Tommy Edmund hitting second or moving Freddy Freeman back to the two spot. Thanks for the phone call, can appreciate it. Eight sixty six seven two five seventy. Let's go out to Jacksonville, Florida. Marty, you're on Dodger Talk. Thanks for staying up late out there.
Speaker 5: How you doing, Dave. It's my pleasure to talk to you.
Speaker 2: Good, Thank you.
Speaker 7: I just want to make a point. We keep hearing every day we got the best record in baseball every single day, but nobody's looking right behind us. Milwaukee a game behind. They want to double headed. Today we lost.
Speaker 5: Yeah, even in the lost column. That's not good. I want the number one seed.
Speaker 2: Uh. You know what, Marty, I don't really at this stage care if it's the one seed or the two seed. I think the Dodgers would prefer having a bye going into the postseason this year, so one or two I think would do them just fine.
Speaker 5: Right by the way.
Speaker 2: Marty, Speaking of that, Marty, do you know how many series the Dodgers had home field advantage last year on the way to the championship?
Speaker 5: Not many?
Speaker 2: Only one against the Reds.
Speaker 5: That was it, right right? Not mental? But still I like it a little bit easier.
Speaker 7: But anyway, I had another question for you last night's game, great victory. Can you tell me what happened in the bottom of the tenth, first and second one out, three.
Speaker 5: And zero to Kaoska. Yeah, a pitch way outside.
Speaker 7: He swings at it with Muncie on deck.
Speaker 5: What are you doing?
Speaker 2: That's a he was over eager, trying to do it himself. And that picture I forgot who was on the mound last night. He was throwing those pitches three wide ones and the fourth one was ball four and Tail was just a little over eager. But hey, Marty, the Dodgers won last night.
Speaker 5: The best thing about that game? One other thing? Could I say, Dave Sure? I was reading about rumors, Trey Rumas.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I love talk.
Speaker 7: Yeah, I heard something about the Giants maybe you know, letting go of players. You know what I really loved That would make a perfect second hitter arise this second basement.
Speaker 5: This guy's a three.
Speaker 7: Hundred hitter every year. He's annoying as can be at the plate. He fouls off everything, never strikes out. Boy, I would love to get this guy.
Speaker 2: Okay, let's say you want Luisa rise number one. I see a big hurdle. I don't see Buster Posey trading with the Dodgers to help them get better. Number two, if Buster Posey were to say, Okay, I'll send Louise a Rise to you, Andrew Friedman, where does Louisa Rise.
Speaker 5: Play second base?
Speaker 2: And where does Tommy Edmond play?
Speaker 5: Uh, that's a good question. That's good. It depends on who we unload to.
Speaker 2: Get them, Marty. The Dodgers are loaded position player wise. Uh, maybe they decide to fill in the margins on their pitching staff they do need. I still believe they need another catcher. I think that's position player wise number one. Getting a catcher to be their third catcher or maybe backup catcher. I think that's where the Dodgers are in need going into the trade deadline.
Speaker 7: Well, why are you thinking that Smith is going to be He's been.
Speaker 2: Out for over a month and nobody can seem to tell us what the injury is. I mean, he was standing out there in the bullpen like a bullpen coach. I'd like to see him put on the gear. So until I see that, I'm concerned.
Speaker 7: Yeah, you're right about that, but I don't think that's the major thing we need. I wouldn't mind getting another pitcher either, especially if it's you know, the Detroit pitcher.
Speaker 5: But yeah, that's what the cost is. I'll tell you this.
Speaker 2: I gotta run Marty. But yeah, I mean, I love trade talk the schoolbol stuff. Look, the Dodgers are not going to just completely ignore the fact that Schoolble may be available at the trade deadline. But you don't need a number one starter. You got Yamamoto, Do you really need a number two starter. You're gonna get Blake Snell back shortly after the trade deadline, within days of the trade deadline, and he's feeling great. He's gonna throw the hitters on Saturday. I mean, he told me the other yesterday that he feels the best he's felt in two years. So you saw what he did in the postseason last year. The Yamamoto Snell one to two combination was as big of a part of the Dodgers winning last year than anything. And then you got Otani, and then you got what as a number four, you could go Glass. Now when he comes back, you could go Robleski. So no reason to give up Blue Chippers for Trek Schoolbol just to marginally get better. And then all of a sudden, I have questions about who's your number one. But as Andrew Friedman said back in the winter of twenty eighteen when we were sitting in his suite at the Winter Meetings, they like to hang around the backboard if the price drops on a free agent or in this case, on a player that may be traded like Tarek Scooble. But here's Miele also huge, huge question about Trek Scooble. Willie pull a Max Scherzer in twenty twenty one, where Schurzer prioritized his health and his free agency over trying to help the Dodgers win the NLCS in Atlanta when he pointed to Walker Buehler before boarding the plane for Atlanta and Game six and saying, ah, I'm not feeling so good, Walker Buehler. Derek Scooble's a free agent, He's coming off a procedure to remove loose bodies. How much is his representative going to allow him to go above and beyond for a team that may or may not try to sign him in the offseason. I don't know if I could trust that right now, considering what I saw with Max Schurzer with my own eyes in twenty twenty one, Tonight's game brought to you by Modello Modello. The mark of a fighter, A guy that I know would never tap out is Justin Robleski, who pitched another great game tonight, his third straight start of going seven innings. Tonight's seven innings, one earned run, nine strikeouts. For a guy that has the just getting guys to put the ball in play and not striking anybody out, well, he has twenty strikeouts in his last two starts. Sounds like a guy that knows how to get get out. Here's Justin Robleski on sports Net LA talking about the fact that he has yet to be selected to the All Star team.
Speaker 8: Yeah, obviously that's it's disappointing. You know, you want to be an All Star. It's it's something that you know, regardless of the year, whenever it's it's always a big deal. And yeah, it's something I wanted to do, and yeah, it's frustrating to not get that nod. But like I said before, I think it's just more more reason to try and keep getting better and then you know, hopefully I can get their respective of you know, players and everybody else and maybe be in there next year.
Speaker 4: Definitely still doesn't really love me.
Speaker 8: Just what does that mean to get Yeah, that means a lot, obviously, you know, to to hear from him. You know, he's given me this opportunity to kind of be a start of the major leagues when maybe some other teams would have given up on me. So yeah, it means a lot to hear from him and hope, hopefully I can keep eating innings for him and then getting deep into games and then doing my best.
Speaker 4: Do you hold out hope personally just knowing that they are now starting to make those decisions for replacements.
Speaker 1: Or do you have to kind of put that aside to let the chips fall.
Speaker 8: I mean, yeah, I would like to. I would like to know where my All Star WREK's going to be. But yeah, no, it's if it happens, great. If it doesn't happen, you know, sometime off and the chill for a couple of days. So either way, I'm all good.
Speaker 2: All right, there's justin Robleski. Look, I wouldn't I wouldn't close the door yet on him making the All Star team. He should have made it by now, there's no doubt about it. But obviously there's extenuating circumstances of the game being in Philadelphia. Even Zach Wheeler's upset that he's pitching on Sunday and is not even qualified to make the All Star team as replacement, he was upset about it. They put jesus Lozardo on the team instead. Look ya, I'm a motos pitching on Saturday. Is Dave Roberts going to pitch him or make him available for the Tuesday game? If he's not, then I see the opening for Justin Robleski right there. So I wouldn't close the door just yet. We're gonna take a time out here on Dodger Talk. When we come back, more of your phone calls at eight sixty six nine eight seven two five seventy and also we'll check in with Jose Mota after the Dodgers fall to the Rockies four to three on the back to back World Champion Dodgers Audio Network.
Speaker 1: Dodger Talk is available on AM five seventy, LA sports dot com, hand on the iHeartRadio app. Back to more Dodger Talk with Dodger insider David Basse.
Speaker 9: Two oh swung on Krill Teto Center failed in his packet is gone home run number three hundred for show Hey O'tani by nash the milestone in his first atpat It's his thirty first career leadoff home run, his seventh this season. Instant offense for the Show that Never Ends, won nothing.
Speaker 2: Dodgers show Hey Otani with his three hundredth career home run leading off the bottom of the first inning tonight. The Dodgers, unfortunately would fall to the Rockies four to three. On the night that Otani becomes the first player in history with three hundred home runs and one hundred stolen bases within his first nine major league seasons. Daniel Stewlers presents the home run Forecast for your chance to win a fifty dollars Daniel Stewelers gift card visit AM five to seventy LA sports dot Com used the keyword home run and to your name you could win. Daniel's Jewelers owned the dream.
Speaker 1: It's time to go around the horn with Hose dang Mos.
Speaker 2: All right, Hose, I know we've talked about the eighth inning a lot already. Tonight, isn't the ninth inning In the approach of some of those hitters. After the Dodgers had first and second, nobody out just as frustrating as what took place in the eighth inning.
Speaker 10: I would say so, especially the first two batters show he actually got jammed the time before on a pitch that obviously didn't look well. He got kind of caught up in that with Maha uncertain. I think he was, you know, just searching, looking, hunting and not getting that pitch. Pis the same thing. It seems like Pius is, you know, just just a different type of hitter when he's up hit him behind show hey, and for sure, Dave, you know, the approach means a lot. You know what Jordan Romano has. He has a lot of problems. He has a lot of issue throwing strikes a lot of it. She's pacing himself to say which pitch im I'm gonna throw. He's not the ones dominant closer he was with Toronto, and that's the type of guy that he's going to get himself into trouble if you allow him the pitch. But overall, uh, you know, the one for twelve minutes scoring position on pitching selection most of you was based is the one thing that really conservatives of them most of here tonight. But it's one that you gotta forget and put about, you know, put away.
Speaker 2: How does Otani look so good? And obviously he's the best player on the planet, but against Jordan Romano in the ninth inning, he he didn't look like shoe Hey Otani. He looked like a completely different guy at the plate in the ninth inning.
Speaker 10: If you look at the first I mean the abasket of Lorenzo, and it's like he knows what Zony's looking for. He knows what he's gonna face from Lorenzo. And then against mahe had thrown hard. And then Romano, you know, ninety three to ninety four, he just didn't seem comfortable at all. It's almost like you search him instead of going, I'm going to zone in right here. When show Hey zones, that means he's thinking middle and going the other way and he'll pull fastballs down on the zone below the waist. But in that case it was like the zone was too big, David, and that's when he gets through a lot of trouble. Go for Amano that he attacked him, that didn't back away from him, to make sure that the showy couldn't extend, and he got to remember when you want him on the defensive side, reading swings and put him away.
Speaker 2: Don't you feel like earlier in the game, Lorenzo Lorenzen was playing with fire. I mean there were fielding mistakes he couldn't cover for a space on time. It just felt like the game was there for the Dodgers to break open in the first five innings and they couldn't do it.
Speaker 10: And usually you're right with when you see a guy like Lorenzen who is not going to overpower you, but just tinker enough to get you to chase, get you to expand they bought right into that the big old play with Kyle Tucker first and third and the fourth inning and so forth. And for hitters, usually they go back thinking about not what the record is what they're searching for, but just today that at bat, what could I have done better? And I can guarantee you most we'll go back thinking he just spit up on me. I mean a veteran players, sometimes a game does speed up on you. Two when you tell yourself, why did I do this? Why did I was just a little more patient to allow somebody to make a mistake, which the Dodgers feast on. You know that very well. Dave so that's pretty much the way you got to go out and do it. Now, if we turn the thing around and say the Dodgers have executed like this one for topal against the Rockies, we're talking about executing pitches overall. Even though there are some balls hit hard, the Rockies made the right pitch when they needed to, and that's pretty much a story.
Speaker 2: The Rockies are a much different team from what we saw earlier in the year, and certainly from the last five or six Rockies teams that we've seen. Their offense has some resilience. They don't seem to chase as much as they used to. They got some good young players, it's just the pitching that's a little thing. You feel like this Rockies team has a different moxie about them.
Speaker 10: I think they're gonna make a difference later in September. The way they're playing a game, and Warren Schaeffer, who took over year how to get this team in this club and these young players to buy into his personality and his style of managing too. And what I mean is he's a guy that said, listen, it's not how we start. Let's not go back and think here we go again. Where the Rockies. No, they got off to a bad start. They kind of been wavering here and there, had a pretty decent month of June, and he pretty much said, hey, now we start again, So let's go out there and show teams what we're about. And they're not afraid of promoting young players and challenging them. But I think it's really taken on the way he manages the game and the way he sees the game with either putting runners in motion, stealing a base, taking the extra base, having good athletes, and those good athletes that they do have, they're put.
Speaker 5: Him into work.
Speaker 10: I'll tell you what, Kyle Carroll's is a different looking player right now that we ever saw since we saw him in the beginning and watching batting practice. If there's a content determination and like this drive to just destroy the baseball and he doesn't get cheated. They have good at bats. He's one of the guys that characterizes and they're not afraid to go to two strikes. They'll struck out, yeah, but as a young team, but they've had pretty good at bats with two strikes overall the first couple of games, and it shows that the mentality of differences. They're never out of a game, as they showed a Tanner Scott last night.
Speaker 2: Dave, no doubt, Hey, Kyle Karros is like his dad. He warms up with the weather. His dad was never a good April player.
Speaker 10: Well, we hope that Carol's Kyle has a nice career like his father did. But I do notice in talking to some of the personnel there that he is really a guy that it's a young player, has become one of their leaders. He plays good defense, he shows up, he has a prensis about him, and he sprays out like very few players do right now, just covering the plate and not being afraid of you know, missing pitches, but also using the other part of the field which is so important, so the you know, the blood is there. And there's no doubt in my mind that dad has a lot to say about how he can improve his game. And there's no doubt also that that is very proud about what he's seeing so far from his son.
Speaker 2: All right, before I let you go, Jose Mota justin robles as deserving as anybody to be part of the All Star pitching staff. Do you believe with Yamamoto pitching on Saturday that rules Yamamoto out from pitching on Tuesday, or is there still a chance Yama can pitch an inning on Tuesday, or if the Dodgers would give him the green light. Do you see any opening for Robleski? Is what I'm asking.
Speaker 10: I do see an opening for Robleski more than deserving if you look at what he's done one game out of the bullpen and then the rest as a starter has been brilliant. He's got the strakeyut on him now, which he was worried about early in the season. Now he allows guys to put the ball in play with high velocity, but so what the guys are positioned well and they catch at baseball, he works at a very fast pace, and I hope that the opportunity comes for him, that he keeps us hope up because we know that the roster are going to continue to change and grow about like five or six er who knows six, seven, eight more players, And he's the one guy that should be just on call to say you are next. You've earned it, because there's some guys that got voted by the players don't have his numbers and they got voted in. But I think you know, if you look at his numbers where he was and you know, Dave, here's one thing to you just never know when a guy like Orblesk he's gonna have this type of start again in the season, and not just him, talking generally about guys that have this type of first half that need a chance to look beyond who they are or who they are not in front of many guys to say this guy is deserving all sorry, because everything he's done. If you have a motor situation, yeah, if he does, I mean you're gonna page out there. Hopefully the case is because he he needs all the days in between to make a start. Obviously, he's not gonna be one where he's gonna be a starter and go eighty or ninety pitches. But it's pretty much a bullpen day is where he treated with. But I do hope to see you, Roblesk, get the opportunity. We just never know what's gonna come again.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I hope so too. All right, Jose, we'll see you out here tomorrow. We'll see if Roki Sasaki can throw as many strikes as Robleski did tonight, that would be a good thing.
Speaker 10: Okay, but I say sound out. He goes on I'm.
Speaker 2: There, he goes Jose Motive, part of the Spanish radio broadcast with Luis Cochito Cruz, who was in a much better mood today. He's gotten over Team Mexico losing in the World Cup. I got over Team USA losing within minutes, unlike others out there, so turn the page. Not like my guy Sam at Downey Hundai, who is very invested in the World Cup. He has set up a stage, he has a big screen and it's still going. Even with Mexico and USA out of the World Cup. My guy Sam at Downy Hundai still has the big screen up. He's still got the viewing party. He's still got the party, He's got the food, but more importantly, he's got the deal. That's right. Downy Hundai is where you want to go for the party and for the Hyundai's all right. Tomorrow night the rubber match between the Dodgers and Rockies. Roki Sasaki on the mound for the Dodgers, Ryan Feltner on the mound for the Rockies. Tomorrow Night is show Hao Tany pitching Bobblehead. Part of that duo giveaway of the game four of the NLCS MVP game three home runs, ten strikeouts, six shutout innings. It's the pitching version to go along with the hitting version given away earlier this year. Here's here's a PSA. Don't show up at Dodger Stadium at ten am and start line. It's unnecessary fifty two thousand fans. The first fifty two thousand fans in attendance will receive the Otani bobblehead. So you know, just chill out, enjoy the day. Don't get in my way when I drive into the ballpark around one thirty tomorrow. Just be ready for when the parking gates open at four forty and the gates to the stadium open at five to ten for the seven to ten start, and you'll get a bobblehead. And be kind to each other. Don't push each other out of the way, don't elbow each other out of the way. You'll get the bobblehead. Trust me. And also tomorrow night, the Dodgers Foundation is doing a very generous thing. Part of the fifty to fifty raffle will go to the American Red Cross to help those that were affected by the earthquakes in Venezuela. Fifty goes to the winning ticket. The other fifty won't go to the Dodger Foundation tomorrow night. It will go to the American Red Cross. So buy your fifty to fifty Raffle tickets tomorrow night, all right. Thanks to Colin Ye back at our Burbank studios, Thanks to Dwayne McDonald out here at Uniclo Field at Dodgers Stadium, and thanks to you for listening. In case you missed any of the show, you can find it on the iHeartRadio app. That's also where you can find our pregame conversations with Freddie Freeman, Max Munsey, and today Kyle Carros. My favorite Caro seats. I'll rank my favorite Carros is right now for you. One A one B, Jared and Kyle Carros, number three Missus Carross, number four distant cousin Carros, and number five Eric Carros. That's my top five right there. One A one, B, Jared and Kyle. Those are my guys. Once again. The final score tonight the Dodgers fall to the Rockies four to three. Have a great rest of your night. See up