Speaker 1: This is world champion Dodger Talk.
Speaker 2: Here we go again, we get running back.
Speaker 1: Hosted by Dodger Sin signer David Bassett.
Speaker 3: How are yeah?
Speaker 4: Three? Pet in the mix?
Speaker 1: Dodger Talk is brought to you by LA County Public Works Champions Recycled.
Speaker 4: Beverage Containers make the play.
Speaker 1: Recycle Today and by Children's Hospital LA from colts to Cancer. We got this to get in on the show called eight six six nine eighty seven two five seventy and be sure to follow Dodger Talk wherever you catch your podcasts and now your host here's Tim Kakes.
Speaker 4: Oh, thanks for being with us on this Thursday night, April ninth, twenty twenty six Off night Dodger Talk here on an five seventy LA Sports Live Everywhere on the IHAR Radio at Tim Kates with you here for the next hour. Be a part of the show. Dodger Fans, eight sixty six nine eight seven two five seventy is the number. Eight sixty six nine eight seven two five seventy. Jump on board. Let's talk Dodgers Baseball at busy hour, talking to you and coming up at seven forty five, you are gonna get a farm report as I give you an update in the top minor league prospects for the Dodgers. A lot of names you heard and saw during spring training here on the radio, you watched on Sports at LA. You saw out a Camelback Ranch, names like host Wadea, Paula, Zaiar, Hope Jackson, Ferris, Charles Davilan, James Tibbs, the Third, Zach Root, Kendall, George. They got a lot of playing time during the spring, especially late in games, so you heard the names, you got to see him. We're gonna tell you where they're at to start twenty twenty six at the minor leagues, what level and what kind of start are they off to. So that's coming up at seven forty five. I like to do that when I'm here on off night Dodger Talk during the season. We of course know what's happening with the big league team, but I like to give you a quick update on some of the Dodgers' top minor league prospects and names of the future where they're at right now. So that's coming up at seven forty five. BIZ road trip for the Dodgers, who go five to one on the road trip and they return home to start a homestand tomorrow night at nine and three overall on this season. We're officially now two weeks in to the start of the twenty twenty six baseball season. We have got two weeks of baseball underneath our belt. The Dodgers at nine and three sitting atop the division, the Arizona Diamondbacks at seven and six overall, the Colorado Rockies and the San Diego Padres as we speak, both at five hundred, and the San Francisco Giants, with a new head coach and Tony Fotello, are five and eight to start this season. What surprises you, if at all, to start this season in the NL West and across Major League Baseball eight sixty six, nine eighty seven to two, five to seventy. I'll tell you what. The Colorado Rockies playing five hundred baseball winners of four in a row. A young team that quite frankly, the last two years have been awful one hundred lost seasons in twenty four and twenty five. The fact that they've already gotten the six wins here in the first two weeks of the season, that tells me right away that this is a team that's taken his lumps and at least off to a good start. Can they maintain it? We'll find out, and that's a big part of this great starts in April. Where are you in May, June, and July. Yonder Alonso was on with Petros and I earlier in the Petros and Money Show at five point thirty, and he said something interesting, and I think it's worth repeating. Baseball players generally look at April is put your head down, get your bats in, play baseball, and then when you start May, first look up and see where you're at in the standings and on the scoreboard. What do your stats look like, and what does the team look like? One month in roughly into this season. Well, we're at two weeks into this season. I can tell you right now, I feel pretty confident in saying the Dodgers are the runaway team in the NL West. I think it's gonna be an absolute dogfight after that between the Diamondbacks, Rockies, and Padres to see where they slot in behind the Dodgers and they get a wild card spot in the National League. The NL East is loaded with the Marlins, the Braves, and the Mets. And I didn't even mention the Phillies who got into the postseason a year ago. There are four legitimate contenders as far as playoff contenders in the National League East, the NL Central, the Milwaukee Brewers Cincinnati Reds, two teams who are quite frankly the favorites in those in the NL Central to go back to the postseason. The Cardinals still young, giving up. I don't think they're gonna be around too long. But right out of the gate two weeks into this season, you're starting to see who are the teams that are going to start rising to the top. Who are the teams playing above their skis and out in front and are gonna come back to the pack, And who are some of the teams that are just off to bad starts and need to get better, get healthy, and get back into the playoff race. When it's all said to done, it's still early, but twelve games in for the Dodger, I certainly like where the Dodgers are sitting eight six six nine eighty seven two five seventy. Yesterday the bullpen reared its ugly head for the first time this season. And maybe it's a hiccup at speed bump. We'll find out moving forward, But for the Dodgers, going five and zero on the road trip and a chance to close it out with a perfect six and zero road trip. Yesterday, had a three to one lead in the seventh inning, and shoe Heotany, quite frankly didn't pitch great yesterday. He admitted it. Will Smith said he was out there, he was efficient getting guys out, and he was. He had a high pitch count and a couple of innings and quite frankly had a lot of traffic on the base pass, but worked around it. And shoey Otani yesterday went the six innings, one run, four hits, didn't get a lot of swinging misses, only two strikeouts. They were putting the ball in play, but he was getting out of it and working around the traffic on the base pass. Jack Dryer came in and absolutely did not have it yesterday. In the seventh inning, Blake Trining came in bailed him out, not before the tying runs came across though, to tie the game at three. And then in the eighth inning, Ben Casparius on in relief and Casparius, as it turns out, gives up a run. It's an unearned run. Well, actually they did give it an earned run because it was a walk to turn around to score, but Ben Casparius the run scored on the wild throat to second base that Miguel Rojas probably should have had and dropped ball goes into center field, winning run comes across and the Dodgers lose. What a way for the Dodgers lose, by the way for the bullpen to give it up in the seventh and eighth inning. I don't think this is going to be something we see a lot of this year. Quite frankly, there's a lot of arms down there, and I think nine times out of ten, Jack Tryers gonna get out and pitch better than he did yesterday and have the control which he did not have yesterday. Blake Trining certainly came in and pitched well. Took him only nine pitches to get two outs. He had a in between. I think it's a blip on the radar. I'm not worried about it, and I think this team is so good they will be able to overcome it. You know, most times. Unfortunately they just over couldn't overcome it yesterday. And with that being said, they still had an opportunity. Down four to three, they had runners on first and second with one out against Jeff Hoffman, the closer who they got after yet last year in the World Series. They almost got to him yesterday, but he was able to walk the tight rope and get off that type rope and get the win over the Dodgers. So yesterday at disappointing seventh and eighth inning for the Dodgers' bullpen, certainly something I don't think we're gonna see a lot of this year. They have been really good the first eleven games of the season. They let one get away yesterday, But when it's all said and done, a five and one road trip eight six six nine eighty seven two five seventy. Yesterday also a sad day in the Dodger nation with the passing of Davy Lopes. Yesterday just sad news that came out, and certainly for those who knew he had been been battling Parkinson's and struggling as of late and was surrounded by family and friends in the Northeast and yesterday succumbed to that at the age of eighty, and it just brought back so many memories for so many Dodger fans. Yesterday in hearing, the passing, the Davy Lopes, and those were some of the great days of Dodger baseball, certainly some of the great days of Los Angeles Dodgers baseball, with Lobes and Say and Russell and Garvey out there in the infield for eight and a half years, four trips to a World Series, finally winning it in nineteen eighty one. That group, the eighty one group, just got the one championship. But I mean that was for the most part a decade of them either going to the World Series, certainly going to the playoffs and dominating, and it was a great stretch. Then he had Fernando come in in eighty and eighty one and take over and pass the baton. But that that group, that group that came up together burst onto the scene and for eight and a half seasons was together. Ron Say was on the station yesterday with the Petrols and Money Show and was reminiscing about one of his good friends. So certainly a sad day. And if you want to call in and talk about Davy Lobes and the great Dodger infields of the past, we can certainly talk about that as well. Eight sixty six ninety seven, two, five, seventy's. It's an air of Dodgers baseball, whether you were young or old at the time, that touched a lot of people and it was a part of their lives for so many years. That force some of the infield something we'll never see ever again in professional baseball. A group like that that came up together, and a group like that that spent that much time together and were so good together. I mean in Davey Lopes, four time All Star, I mean overall, he spent ten years with the Dodgers. You know, a franchise record for games played at second base, second all time to order only Moriy Wills as far as batting leadoff in the Dodgers organization. He was twenty seven years old when he made his major league debut at the end of the seventy two season. I mean, think about that. It's a group that the following year, Garvey Russell saying him would start really that eight and a half years straight together in the infield. Twenty seven years old he made his major league debut. You don't see guys at that age coming up at twenty seven now and lasting as long as they do. But Davy Lobes was one of the greats. Led the majors in steels many years. I mean nineteen seventy eight, he sold forty five bases on forty nine attempts. He won a Gold Glove in nineteen seventy eight. You know, after leaving the Dodgers, a lot of Dodger fans thought that was it. Oh, he went and played for the Eighties, went and played for the Cubs. Finished his career at the Houston Astros. Finished with five hundred and fifty seven career stolen bases, twenty sixth in Major League history. One of the great competitors. Many who played with them, played against them, coached with them, coached against him. Paid tribute to Davy Lobes yesterday on social media. Saw a lot of great tributes on the MLB network. I mean, he won a second World Series as the Phillies first base coach back in two thousand and eight. He was with the Dodgers as their first base coach twenty eleven to twenty fifteen. He was around the game up until twenty seventeen, when he was a first base coach with the Washington Nationals. He was a baseball lifer. Davy Lobes a Dodger great, no doubt, baseball lifer, certainly, and he deserves all the respect that he has get in the last twenty four hours since the unfortunate past at the age of eighty. Davy Lopes a Dodger great in the seventies and eighties World Cheeries champion as well. Eight to sixty six nine, eight seven, two, five seventy is the number uh Major League Baseball coming out with the annual salaries for teams and how much they're spending and how many teams are not spending. It's just kind of eye opening as well to see all the talk all off season and really the last few offseasons about how much money the Dodgers are spending and how much they're going out in free agency and signing guys to the huge deals, and people are saying the Dodgers are bad for baseball. Well, the Mets have gone out and spend, the Yankees have gone out and spend. The teams that are competitive and winning. Let's be honest, there are teams that go out and spend. And Major League Baseball came out today and said the average salary rose across baseball nearly four percent and talked about the Mets payroll and where it's at, and the Dodgers payroll where it's at. The major league average overall is up. Six clubs with payrolls of two hundred and fifty million dollars are up. That's a rise from four teams a year ago. Ten teams now in baseball are spending over two hundred million dollars. That's all positive for the game. Eight teams are now, though, under one hundred million dollars in total salaries, up from five a year ago. You have got to be kidding me. Eight teams in Major League Baseball under one hundred million dollars in payroll. That right there, folks, is a glaring problem. As the numbers on the other side have gone up, the numbers on the bottom side have also gone up as teams shedding payroll. The Saint Louis Cardinals, the jewel of the Midwest. You play baseball the right way, the Cardinal way, as they say, Well, what has happened to that their opening day payroll has gone from one hundred and forty one million dollars to one hundred million dollars. And that's including money they owe guys like Nolan Aaronado still on their contracts even though not even playing with them. He's in Arizona, and Sonny Gray and Wilson Contrere's dead money, so to speak. Other teams with big cuts the Cleveland Guardians cutting forty million dollars in salary from last year, the Washington Nationals somehow shedding another twenty three million dollars, the Texas Rangers cutting payroll thirty seven million dollars. The fact that there are eight teams under one hundred million dollars in total payroll in twenty twenty six is a problem. Why aren't they spending where's the money going? Baseball is bringing in riches for the owners. The players are making money, and let's be honest, the owners are making money. And the difference between good teams and bad teams there is a clear line being drawn in the sand. The owners that turn around, make the money and spend it back on the team to improve are winning or attempting to win if they haven't yet. And the teams that are annually at the bottom, annually picking high, annually trading off whatever talent they have, they're there for a reason because they're not spending the money What in the world are the owners doing with that kind of money If they're not spending it on their team. That is a problem that's going to be addressed to the next CBA. You don't want to go down too far that road of collective bargaining talk and what's going to happen at the end of the season. But when numbers like this come out released by Major League Baseball, and you know what the payrolls look like, what the average major league salary is, and how it's gone up or down, which teams are spending more, which teams are spending less, how it's affecting baseball. These are all numbers being computed and put out there for a reason. This is showing that there is growth in the game. There's money being made on both sides, the players and owners and again the haves and the have nots. The teams that are spending are the teams making money and putting it right back into their team. The teams that are losing teams will continue to be losing teams when they don't put the money in to the organization, the salaries the players. I mean that, that to me is just sad. It is sad to see that they're owners like that, and again it shouldn't be a surprise, but when you see the numbers and it hits you right in the face like that, Now eight teams that are under one hundred million dollars and that has gone up from five a year ago. What are they doing with their money? How is a team like the Saint Louis Cardinals who isn't an expansion team, isn't a team that never got any footing in baseball, not a team that's bad ownership, just continually over the years, the Saint Louis Cardinals are one of the one of the jewels of baseball in the Midwest, all the history and the Saint Louis Cardinals slashing payroll forty one million dollars, a lot of dead money out there just to save money as that to me is unbelievable, and it's a sad state for where some of the teams are in baseball. The game is healthy, don't get me wrong. Money's being made. TV deals are through the roof. Apple TV has got too broadcasts tomorrow. They're paying a fortune to the Major League Baseball to broadcast the games. NBC just did a new deal taking over Sunday Night Baseball on NBC and Peacock. They're paying a lot of money. There is money being made in the game of Major League Baseball, and to have owners eight of them can not spend it on their payroll. Well, if they're not spending on their payroll, you think they're putting it into other parts of their organization. You think they're putting it into scouting. You think they're putting into analytics. Do you think they're doing anything else to prop up their team if they're cutting their major league salary of forty million dollars here getting to under one hundred million dollars. If they're cutting one spot, there's no way the other area is they're just dumping all that money in that that doesn't make any sense. And that is sad that there's eight teams in baseball that can't even get over one hundred million dollars in salary and won't pay the guys that eight six, six, nine eighty seven to two five seventy. I bring that up because Major League Baseball announced that earlier today, and the Dodgers get hit hard nationally for a team that goes out and spends and paying players and bringing guys into free agency. You know what, I'm glad they do what they do. I am excited to be a Dodger. I'm proud to be a Dodger fan and to see ownership do what they do, spending the money, putting it back on the field, investing in their team. Because now now, and they're on the verge of a three peat. They've gone to World Series over the last decade, win divisions constantly every year, go to the playoffs every year. That to me shows a front office and ownership that cares and in just another example what the Dodgers are doing, you know what, and tip of the cap to the other organizations like the Mets and the Yankees and the teams that are spending and that are trying to better their clubs and contend. That's what it's about. Putting the best product on the field for your fans because you deserve it, you spend the money. Ticket prices get raised, concessions are high. Parkings through the roof wouldn't be worth it. If you go out to a game and the team that's on the field, well, not worth the price of admission. But that's not the case with the Dodgers. The great team, great ownership, and man, you look around the league. Eight other teams in baseball with a payroll of one hundred million dollars or less compared to what the Dodgers, the Mets, the Phillies, the Yankees, the Blue Jays are doing out there to better their teams. The Padres eight six six nine eighty seven two five say we'll take a break, we'll come back and we'll get to your phone lines two line in dope. What if you want to jump on board, grab him if you can. Eight sixty six nine eight seven two five to seventy coming up in about twenty five minutes. We'll get you a farm report. Play with the Dodgers. Top minor league prospects are up to to start this season. Tim Kates off Night Dodger Talk as the Dodgers back home tomorrow to start a road trip or excuse me, a home stand against the Texas Rangers and the New York Mets. And it all begins tomorrow night at seven to ten, six o'clock. We'll get it all started with Moroco Casino Dodgers on deck. Tim Kates Off Night Dodgers continues on this Thursday night here on Anti seventy LA Sports Live Everywhere on the iHeartRadio app Off Night. Dodger Tak continues here on ANFI seventy LA Sports Tim Kates, Ronnie Fossil and you on this Thursday night as the Dodgers enjoy a night off after a five to one road trip. They're back at it tomorrow on showhy Otani Bobblehead Night as the home stand starts off with the bang. It's gonna be exciting at at Dodger Stadium. Now, if you got a ticket to the game tomorrow night, you need to be one of the first fifty four thousand in attendance to get the bobblehead. It is a Dodger Stadium that holds just over fifty six thousand, so almost everybody will get a bobblehead tomorrow and it's the first of two Greatest Game Bobbleheads presented by synchron The second installment of the bobblehead for the Greatest Game will come on eighth against the Colorado Rockies. It's a two part bobblehead series commemorating show Hayes outstanding performance in Game four of last year's NLCS against the Milwaukee Brewers. We know the game. He homered three times, he struck out ten batters on the mound in six shutout innings. So that is Tomorrow night the first of two Greatest Game bobbleheads. And the first one is him hitting a home run and holding the bat looking up into the pavilion. So the first one of his him hitting a home run. I can imagine the second of the two bobblehead in the series will be of him on the mound pitching. I don't know that for sure, but I'm gonna go ahead out on a limb and say that that that'll be the second one of the two bobbleheads for the Greatest Game. It's a homestand that will include Hello Kitty Night on Monday Night. Yes, a grey hoodie will be given out to the stadium gates as fan enter for the Hello Kiddy Night which Hello Kitty will be there in centerfield Plaza taking pitchers. The homestand will conclud with Jackie Robinson Day on April fifteenth. Of course, a commemorative jersey presented by UCLA Health will be passed out to fans in attendance. And fresh off their national championship victory, the women's basketball team from UCLA, Jackie Robinson's alma mater. Fours up. Let's go mc bruin. They will bring their trophy and they will throw out the honorary first pitch prior to the game. So that is on April fifteenth, Jackie Robinson Day, honoring the great number forty two Jackie Robinson, and that'll be a lot of fun out there. And of course having UCLA women's basketball team fresh off their win in the national championship game on Saturday against South Carolina, they'll be out there and great to see the Lady Bruins during the victory lap as they should be at a big ceremony at Paul Pavilion last night to be recognized. They were at the Laker game this week, they were at the Clipper game, so certainly making the tour on late night TV shows as well, celebrating that national championship, the first ever for LA women's basketball. Eight sixty six, nine eighty seven, two five seventy. Let's go out to the phones, don't forget coming up at about fifteen minutes. We got your farm report. We'll start things off in Marina. Del Rey Arthur, thanks you for being Patia welcome to Dodger Talk. How you doing tonight?
Speaker 5: I'm doing fine. How are you doing, Tim, I'm doing great?
Speaker 4: Thank you.
Speaker 3: I want to I.
Speaker 5: Find to do to sit here a segment about these costs, production and spending by some of the teams is now eighteen one hundred thousand.
Speaker 4: Uh, it's not it's it's it's I don't believe it's the Angels on that list that have gone under him one hundred million dollars. But we we've seen teams across baseball. The Minnesota Twins, for example, Arthur, they lead major League Baseball with the largest reduction in payroll. They slash ninety six million dollars from last season. They're down to forty six million dollars in salary.
Speaker 5: That's that's that's amazing. Sells fixteam.
Speaker 6: The thing is it's on is UH.
Speaker 5: I wonder what impact the players umen with the players women inspiring this here one of what that has to do with it. The other thing is that it is also the the cable TV packages going south.
Speaker 4: Yeah, they have the local the local rights. You're you're absolutely right with the local deals. And I appreciate the phone call from UH. I know the Angels and the Podres, their TV deals all looped in and Major League Baseball has had to come in and take over their regional broadcast there. So yeah, I know those are struggling, but you know it's not our friends at sports and at l A, and they are thriving and certainly going hand in hand with what the Dodgers are doing on the field. It's it's just staggering to me to to look at teams across baseball and ownerships that just do not put the money in to the product on the field. And to see teams like the Minnesota Wins, who've got a beautiful ballpark at Target Field in Minneapolis, just a beautiful stadium there, and they don't put money into that team. The emerith the trade deadline last year, it was a who's who that was left in the clubhouse for the Minnesota Twins, and Byron Buckston was one of the guys left over, but they basically traded everybody else on that roster that they could. It's like the movie Major League. It's embarrassing. And on the flip side of it, you got teams at the top like the Mets, the Blue Jays, the Dodgers, the Phillies, the Yankees. They spend money. And what all those teams I just mentioned have in common, well outside of the Mets last year, who messed the playoffs, but perennially they are a teams that are in the postseason or fighting to win a championship, and moving forward, the Mets have put themselves in a situation to go to the playoffs every year. They've certainly spent the money and made the effort to do it, is the point. But you look at other teams around baseball and they're just lack of caring, really, and how is it going to affect the CBA when it's all said and done at the end of the year. And I know fans don't want to hear about that, but to see teams spending and then to see the bottom half or the bottom third not spending, that's a problem. And I don't think it's a player problem. That's an owner problem. That's a Rob Manfred, who represents the owners in baseball problem. They need to get on the same page, and if they've got problems between them, they need to figure it out and get on the same page moving forward, because you can't just sit there and claim to be poor as an owner when your team's valued at a billion dollars. How's that the case? You got a brand new basically ballpark in Minneapolis or a newer ballpark that still looks brand new. I mean, you can't cry poor as a Major League Baseball owner when you are a billionaire and you're giving millions every year in money from the taxes that are on the teams that are spending the money and going over that threshold. I mean, you are making the money, spend the dang money on your team. Eight sixty six, nine five seven again Dodgers in action tomorrow against the Rangers. Tyler Glass now on the mound for the Dodgers. Want to know already to start the year. Jorge and Londale next up here on Dodge Talk.
Speaker 7: Hi doing hoor hey, We're doing great here.
Speaker 4: How are you, Jim, I'm doing good, Thanks man, So I'll reiterate.
Speaker 7: And Uh As someone who grew up as a Dodger fan, got converted really during the Fernando area. I was, I was, I was a little puff. I was a little boy when when Fernando uh broke the bigs and got to meet him finally before rest Rest God, Rest is rest. Rested, see Fernando, and really just the commitment to winning. It made all the difference. And when we.
Speaker 3: When we had that that that down period when uh during the where it was you know, publicly known that McCourt was spending money on swimming pools and trying to appease his ex wife.
Speaker 7: And it's all out there, it's all public record what what he was spending his money.
Speaker 5: Spending money out of Russian psychic.
Speaker 4: So well, those days are gone. That's the problem that he was there too long, and it took new blood to come in. And we are thankful that the Gouggaheim group came in, and I appreciate the phone call. Yeah, you look back at those days and it was it was pretty rock bottom as far as you know, what they had available. And you know, Ned COLLETTI uh should get should get more recognition for what he did in making playoff teams, putting together playoff teams, putting together the rosters that he did with the with the wallet that he had to go out and spend with and looking at his wallet and just not having any money and trying to figure out ways to make deals and get creative. Read his book The Big Chair by Ned Coletti. It is a fascinating read. I love Ned. He's a great guy. He's been in the news lately what he did with Team Italy and putting together that team in the World Baseball class. I can hear him all the time here on a FI seven Ela Sports. He saw him on TV after he was done being the GM. He laid the foundation and then the next ownership group and the next management group took it and ran with it, even more so because they had money to spend. But he was the GM of the Dodgers during a period in which they did not spend money and to be honest, we're cheap and didn't have the money and the liquid assets to go out and make the team better. So he had to be creative. And again I highly recommend it. You can get it on Amazon, Barnes and Noble, whatever you get your books. The Big Chair by Ned Coletti, because he talks about his time as the GM of the Dodgers and trades he had to make and how he had to put them together and manipulate things as far as you know, salary's working out and getting guys back and you know, taking chances on players and remember that was the era in which you know, they went out and took a chance on a young redhead who was dfade by the New York Mets, Justin Turner. And you strike lightning in a bottle with Justin Turner. And if he goes on to become a postseason hero, a World Series hero, a champion, and one of the best guys out there and a figurehead for the organization for almost a decade, Ned Colletti finds him again, that's just a different era Dodger baseball. And there was a lot of good, there was some bad, and certainly we are in the golden era of Major League Baseball. I have the list in front of any entering open week, including forty man rosters, non roster players, major League Baseball payrolls. The New York Mets number one, the Dodgers number two, the Yankees and Phillies and Blue Jays riding out the top five, and then there's a significant drop off to the Braves, the Ashros, the Padres, the Cubs, and the Tigers riding out the top ten. Then you get the teams that are under two hundred million dollars in spending, Red Sox, Rangers, Diebacks, Angels, Orioles, Mariners, Royals, Brewers, Reds, Rockies, and Pittsburgh Pirates. Then you get to the teams, the one, two, three, four, five, six, seven, nine teams that are under one hundred million dollars, and what they look like. You've got the Cardinals, the Twins, the A's, the Rays, the Nationals, the White Sox, the Marlins, and the Guardians. It's there's got to be a floor. There's got to be a spending floor. If you're gonna cry that there needs to be a salary cap because of the teams at the top, the Mets, the Dodgers, Yankees, Phillies, Blue Jays, Braves, Astros, Padres, and Cubs, all spending money, all north of two hundred million dollars. And you higher, if you're gonna cry that we need a salary cap because the salaries are getting out of control and the spending is getting out of control by a certain number of owners, well, if you're one of those owners saying that and you're on the bottom looking up, that floor is going to be raised because you can't keep, you know, keeping everybody down with your payrolls at sixty nine million dollars, seventy nine million dollars, eighty three million dollars of the Chicago White Sox, Tampa Bay Ray's at eighty nine million dollars, the Minnesota Twins at ninety six million dollars. You can't you can't yell to the top to stop when you're at the back and at the bottom not doing your part. You just can't do that. And that's what's so frustrating about this. And it's going into the weeds, I guess, and talking about the CBA and the owners and players, and quite frankly, nobody wants to hear about it. It's confusing. Nobody wants to hear millionaires and billionaires fighting over it because we look at how much it costs to go to games and just to get there, eat park and watch nine innings of baseball. It's expensive, So nobody wants to hear about that. But it's just taking a step back and thinking and saying, what are we doing. Either spend the money or don't be an owner, But stop crying because other owners are doing what they're doing. And it's not one team out there just spending spending, spending, spending. I'm looking at three teams over three hundred million dollars, and I'm now looking at eleven teams that are over north of two hundred million dollars. So teams are spending money. Owners are spending money. Man, it's frustrating. And to see that baseball is in it a great area right now as far as fandom and popularity and where they're sit on social media. I can't go on Twitter or Instagram without seeing highlights of a game or postgame comments. You know, Joe Adell's three home run catches from a week ago. To see exciting plays, to see young players making their debuts and the young pups out there, you know, bursting onto the scene. I mean Connor Griffin last week was all over everywhere. Nobody's talking pirates baseball. But the nineteen year old rookie called up who hits a double in his first at bat and is celebrating with his family, that's a cool story for baseball. That's a that's a fun kid you can get behind and support, and hey, let's check more out about him. And you know, the father of three daughters, two of which are you know, looking, I have a teenage daughter who's looking. I had this nineteen year old game thing, and Wow, I'm gonna follow this kid. Now, I'm gonna see what he's all about on on social media, on his Instagram and TikTok. Well, now she's invested in see what this Pittsburgh pirate player is doing. Now she's invested in a different team outside of this market and watching baseball more and seeing the highlights, and that'll even open up to more teams and more players. It's the growth of the games at a good spot. It just frustrates me when I look down the road, and I'm trying not to, try not to. But when it's released today, the salaries and are up five percent across average wise, you know it's now five point three more million dollars is the average salary in Major League Baseball. It's crazy. The numbers are crazy. Why mess with the good thing, baseball? What are you doing? Eight sixty six, nine eighty seven to two five seventy Again, tomorrow is show Heyo Tani Bobblehead night. And I have one of them sitting here in the studio that we were able to get and we posted up on social media and very cool. But again, there's fifty four thousand of them that'll be given out on Friday night. It's gonna be a sellout crowd. We know that sellouts fifty six thousand and change. So some Dodger fans won't get bobbleheads. But there's no need to camp out. There's no need to get there at five am and get your parking spot on Scott Road or Academy Eroad or Vin Scully Avenue. You don't have to do any of that. You don't have to get a head start. Okay, there's fifty four thousand bobbleheads. I feel pretty confident that you can get there when the gates open, drive in and get in three hours before first pitch and get a bobblehead even closer to that. So let's just keep that in mind. I know there was a big push for the Yoshi bobbleheads, and I'm just fascinated with the whole bobblehead craze. I really am. I mean a couple of years ago, we had the first Otani bobblehead, right twenty twenty four, and it was like, this is it. This is his first Dodger one, and we're talking about it on the station. We're trying to get our hands on one, and you know they're selling on the secondary markets for a ridiculous amount of money. I mean, is that not still worth a lot of money? Is that still not?
Speaker 3: You know?
Speaker 4: I mean, if I have one, I'm I'm liking it. I'm I'm digging what I got. But a new year, new bobble ahead, and it's none of the next shiny toy, I guess. But again, there'll be fifty four thousand of them tomorrow, so you don't need to go too crazy if you got a ticket for the game at a Dodger Stadium and the Dodgers back home Tyler Glass now on the mound and the sea the series opener tomorrow night against the Texas Rangers. We'll take a break, we'll come back one more sevent to go. We'll try to get some more phone calls if we can. But we got a farm report coming up next.
Speaker 6: What is that.
Speaker 4: No, we're not talking corn, we're not talking growing fruit and vegetables. We're talking to minor leagues, the Dodgers' top prospects down the farm. Where are they at? What kind of start are they off to? That's next here on Dodger Talk on a FI seventy l A Sports Live everywhere on the iHeartRadio app. Dodger Talk continues on the Thursday Night, April ninth, Thanks for being with us. Dodgers off today, Back at it beginning tomorrow knight after a five to one road trip. Now they kick off a six game homestand three against the Texas Rangers, then three against the New York Mets. Corey Seeger making his return to Dodger Stadium tomorrow night on show Hey O, Tony Bobblehead Nights, the first of two to represent the great Game four of the NLCS that he had last year where he struck out ten on the mountain within three for three with three home runs at the plate. It's all right, we'll get back to the phones in a minute, but let's go down on the farm. An update on the Dodgers' top minor league prospects. Names you heard during spring training, maybe you saw him out at Camelback Rams. They've been now sent out to triple A, double A A ball, low a ball, and we'll see how they're doing to start this twenty twenty six season. Dodgers number one overall prospect, number thirteen in all of Major League Baseball. Host Way Depaula twenty year old outfielder. He's in Double A Tulsa three sixty four average over one thousand ops and last night he had himself a knight.
Speaker 2: Looks at the next pitch and it swings. Line's one in the left field for a hit. Up to get it. It's Honeyman second and third, two out of the pitch, swinging a line drive into center.
Speaker 4: There's another hit.
Speaker 2: Two more runs were going to score.
Speaker 4: Third.
Speaker 2: The pitch chopped over the second basement, gaz Dard into right field. That's a bass hit checks over his shoulder at first. George takes off, then stops as De Paula swings and drives one to deep left field. This one's gonna carry out over the bullpen and opposite field.
Speaker 4: Home run for host Way to Paula Tulsa Radio Network with the call host Way to Paula. Four hits, a home run of five RBI performance for the Dodger top minor league prospect want to start to the season for Host Way to Paula in Double A and Tulsa joining him in Double A Tulsa joining him in the outfield. Zayir Hope, twenty one year old outfielder, hitting two fifty so far, two doubles, two RBIs and seven strikeouts. And wardal Quintero, twenty year old outfielder in Great Lakes with the Loons in High A Ball. He's the dodgers number three overall prospect, number twenty eight overall in Major League Baseball. Five games so far, just three for twenty two with six strikeouts a one thirty six average to start this season. Mike Sarota, number fifty eight overall prospect, number four for the Dodgers, a twenty two year old outfielder. He is in Great Lakes as well. Five games so far, just one for seventeen with six strikeouts. It's cold in Michigan still, though the offense a little slow to get going in High A Ball Great Legs. Emil Morales the dodgers number five overall prospect here in twenty twenty six, number eighty nine overall in Major League Baseball. A shortstop in Ontario with the Tower Buzzers. He's off to a good start three to sixty four average and twenty two at bats, eight hits and five RBIs for the nineteen year old shortstop. River Ryan started the year in extend to spring training. You remember he's coming off Tommy John surgery. The Dodger right hander is in Triple A Oklahoma City. He's pitched in one game so far, a start the weekend, four innings, three runs, five hits, six strikeouts. He is slow playing his way back from Tommy John surgery. No doubt we'll see him in the big leagues as soon as he is ready. Left hander Jackson Farris Dodger fans. We saw him a lot during the spring training. He got a good look. The twenty two year old left hander is in TRIAA Oklahoma City. One start so far, three and a third innings of work. Charles Davelin outfielder in Great Lakes High A Ball, twenty two year old. He was the forty first overall pick last year in the draft out of Arkansas, and he's off to a smashing start. Davlin swings hammered in the air, no doubt, shot for chuck.
Speaker 6: That was pretty at four hundred and seventeen feet from home plate.
Speaker 4: Helfitch. Davlin swings hammered.
Speaker 3: In the air to right field and gone a two homer inning, punctuating with a grand slam.
Speaker 6: That one was three point fifty five.
Speaker 4: Just had a number one oh one off the bad Charles Davlin, a couple of home runs five games already, two ninety four average, a double, the two home runs and seven ribbies that, of course, the Great Lakes Loons Radio network. The Dodgers number ten prospect going into twenty twenty six is in Great Lakes as well. Right handed pitcher out of Mexico, twenty one year old Christian Zazueta. He has started one game with four innings, one run, two hits and seven strikeouts. The name we heard all spring long and the name we keep hearing about in Oklahoma City. James Tibbs the third.
Speaker 6: Swings it hits another deep try this center Evan's going back. It is going. The second home run of the day for James. kIPS the third out to center field left on left crime, a three run blast makes it nine to four. Second home run in as many innings for TIBs, two home.
Speaker 8: Runs and his last two at bats, and he drives this one's deep the other way to left Carlo's back track wall on James tips the third with his third home run and as many at bets, he is four for four with three long balls in.
Speaker 4: A big sit Oklahoma City Comments Radio Network with the calls eleven games, He's already hit seven home runs, a couple of multi home run games. He is batting four to thirteen. He is slugging over a thousand. He's got an ops over fourteen hundred. He's got thirteen runs batted in already. James Tibbs the Third. The Dodgers got him into trade with the Red Sox last year for Dustin May. James TIBs the Third. We got to know him during spring training. He's only twenty three years old, played at Florida State, was the ACC Player of the Year. Drafted by the San Francisco Giants, traded to the Boston Red Sox, traded to the Dodgers, and they have found a young, left headed, power hitting outfielder that they can really get excited about now moving forward, they have changed the mechanics of his swing a little bit. No longer a big high kick with the right foot, just a little bit of a kick, and has generated more power, not that he needed it, but he's already got seven home runs. James Tibbs the Third. Just a matter of time before we see him playing at the major league level. How about Zach Root Great Legs High A Ball Dodgers number thirteen overall prospects. He was a first round pick out of Arkansas as well a year ago. Just like Charles Davilin, he is in Great Lakes as well. The six foot two to two hundred pounder had one hundred and twenty six strikeouts last year in college at Arkansas in a start already three innings, four runs, four hits, five strikeouts. Again, it's colback in Michigan, so you're not seeing a lot of great results early on, but once it starts to heat up in the Midwest, you're certainly gonna see the Great Lakes Loons all heat up as well. One of the guy I want to point out, Kyle Hurt coming off an injury. He's in Triple A Oklahoma City, five games in relief, four to third innings total, three runs, six hits, seven strikeouts. Keep in mind I Hurt. His role when he gets back to the big leagues looking like it will be out of the bullpen. So there you go. You're all caught up with the Farm report, the Dodgers' top minor league prospects where they're at to start twenty twenty six and how they're doing so far to start their minor league seasons. That's going to do it for off night Dodger Talk. Thanks for being with us, Thanks to Ronnie Fossio, Thanks for all you being a part of the show. Thank you for podcasting the show as well on the iHeartRadio app. We're back at it tomorrow with Dodger Baseball, Dodgers and the Texas Rangers, Morongo Casino Dodgers on Decades and all started at six pm, first pitch at seven to ten until they have a great, safe rest of your Thursday. So long, everybody,