Speaker 1: And now an exclusive interview with David Vasse for Dodger Talker.
Speaker 2: Welcome back to Dodger Talk. David Vass with you until eight o'clock tonight here on AM five to seventy LA Sports. Well, it's been a great spring training for the Dodgers, not only as the players get ready for the three peat, but also so many of the former Dodgers over the years have come back in uniform and out of uniform, whether it's Andre Ethier or Eric Carros or Chase Utley. It's been great to see those guys. But what's even more special is when you see guys that have been part of the twenty or twenty four World Series championship. And I ran into one of them last week, and that is one of the bullpen dogs from twenty twenty four, a two time World Series champion, but especially a Dodger champion in twenty twenty four, and that is Daniel Hudson. Hodey. Thanks a lot for coming on. Appreciate it.
Speaker 1: Problem, David, You're too kind.
Speaker 2: Hey, I was driving around Arizona. I heard some sports talk show say that you're going to be there baseball correspondent. I said, Hey, I got to jump these guys. He's Dodger Talks own first. They got to come through Dodger Talk to get Daniel Hudson.
Speaker 1: Hey, there's plenty, plenty of hours in the day. You know, we can we can all have a little bit, you know.
Speaker 2: Okay, I got something for you. Since you're out there at camel Back Ranch, when you're around the guys and you see spring training starting again, you're a couple of years removed. Now does the itch, does the desire to uh want to come back and pitch start to take over you? Or are you feeling like pain is optional these days?
Speaker 1: You know, I was a little I was a little nervous my first spring training, not playing last year, how I was gonna feel. But once spring training came, I towards the end of my career, I came to loads spring training, so I was not missing that very much at all. Opening Day, I stayed busy, didn't really didn't try not to think about it too much. And then you know, I just got kind of got busy doing life. And you know, I definitely don't miss the grind of every day prepping for games, and you know, spring training obviously, I miss competing. I miss playing and I miss the guys, But at the same time, I'm really enjoying my time here at home with the family, and you know, it's been really good so far.
Speaker 2: I've told a few different players, and I'm a true believer in this. You had a lot of adversity in your fifteen year career and you continue to persevere and the game rewarded you. We always talk about Kershaw going out as a World Series champion, but how rewarding and gratifying was it for you to retire as a World Series champion, To go out the way you did a healthy season and you pitched sixty five games plus the postseason and you were such a big part of it. Does that make you feel more at peace than maybe other players that retire who don't get that opportunity.
Speaker 1: Yeah, definitely. I always had the idea, the thought, you know, I wanted to go out on my own terms always, you know, going what I going through, what I went through at the beginning of my career with a couple arm surgeries and not knowing how much longer I was gonna be able to play, and then turning that into sticking around ten plus years after that. You know, towards the end of my career, I really was like, I need to kind of find a runway here so I don't stick around too long. You know, I saw guys throughout my career, you know, whether it was monetarily motivated or you know, they just felt like they were good enough to keep going kind of stick around too long, or at least in my opinion, I thought they did, you know, And I never really wanted to go out like that. So to be able to kind of, you know, latch on with the Dodgers there in twenty twenty two through twenty twenty four and get opportunity to do that, Obviously, my injuries in twenty two and twenty three didn't help, but I knew going into twenty four that if I got another chance to play that it was going to be my last year. And you know, like you said, to be able go out on top of like it's just a dream come true. And you know, I really got to fulfill my dream of going out of my own terms.
Speaker 2: You have a great perspective on what the Dodgers were and what they become because you were with them two separate times. You were with them in eighteen when they went to the World Series against the Red Sox and lost, and then you came back and you know, obviously in twenty twenty two and ended it with the Championship in twenty four when Otani arrived. So can you describe to us where what the Dodgers were in twenty eighteen and how they become this juggernaut in the last two years.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I think, well, I mean just going back even farther, going back to when you know, obviously the sale of the Dodgers in the early twenty tens. You know, this this kind of whole deal, this run for them started I think with like twenty thirteen or twenty fourteen. You know, they've always just kind of been a model of consistency since then. And you know, they've gotten the right people in the right places in the front office that are really aggressive and always want to win. They've got the right ownership in place to always be able to back it up with the checks, to be able to bring in the right people. And they always seem to get the right guys in the clubhouse to make it a good culture, and guys that want to come from other places and play for them. You know, Yes, they spend a lot more money than everybody else. That is also a big draw for players. But I think when you play against the Dodgers, or at least from my perspective, when I played against them at the beginning of my career, you know, it always seemed like a good, good culture, good clubhouse, and you know it's something that guys want to be a part of. So I think it starts and starts with that. And then, like you said in twenty seventeen twenty eighteen, going to back to back World Series losing both of them, I think really probably a little fire under a lot of people in that front office and the ownership, and they really wanted to kind of take a stranglehold and get past that little homp. And you know, they've won three World Series in the last five years, and I think that shows.
Speaker 2: Do you what do you make of I call it envy and jealousy of the rest of the league. What do you how do you you feel the way things have kind of turned the Dodgers into I guess in what everybody is calling the Evil Empire. There's a lot of uh talk that they're ruining baseball. Some people, like myself believe they're helping baseball. Where where do you think all this comes from.
Speaker 1: I think it's just, uh, you know, people throw around the term parody all the time. You know, growing up in the nineties and two thousands watching baseball, you know, everybody hated the Yankees. They spent more money than everybody else. They were the biggest brand in sports, you know, outside maybe the Cowboys. But you know, it's just I don't it's easy to hate the team that wins if you're not a team a fan of that team, And I think that's kind of what's going on in LA. Obviously, you know, they have bigger checkbooks and everybody else they can sign more players. But like I said, it starts with the culture and bring in the right guys. They always seem to bring in the right guys. They have smart people to you know, identify who they want to bring in every single off season. Yeah, everybody talks about the big names the show Haes, the Yamamoto's, Freddie Freeman, Mookie Betts, bringing all those guys in, but there's so much under the surface of you know, DFA guys that they claim and guys off the trash heap, so to speak, that they fix and they create this depth that really helps out for when guys like Blake Snell and Tyler Glass now go down last year, they have guys that can step in like m she Hen. Hopefully Gavin Stone will be one of those guys this year. It's just a very, very wealth of depths that they have underneath all those big name stars. And I think that's really a big envy for a lot of people, a lot of teams, a lot of fans, and with you, I think it's I think it's good for the game. I don't know what people would rather the Guggenheim Group do with all their billions of dollars in revenue. Would they rather than pocket it and not put it back onto the field. I just don't really, I don't really understand what they want them to do, just sit on their Twitter their thumbs with all their cash, like like, just let's let's spend the money that we made and keep winning. I don't understand why that's a bad thing.
Speaker 2: Doesn't this come down to show Hey Otani as well, wanting to win and deferring as much of his salary as he did so the Dodgers could bring in really good players to build around him.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I'm not so convinced that the Dodgers wouldn't have spent all the money they have anyways, even if show Hey didn't defer sixty eight million dollars a year. But at the same time, yes, for sure, and from what I've read and understood, there was a couple other teams that offered show Hey the exact same deal with deferred money. I think it was show Hay's idea that I heard anyways, that it was his idea to defer most of the money so that that they could sign more guys and not go spend six hundred million dollars on payroll, although they're getting close to that right now anyways. But you know, I think it just goes to show you that any team can can kind of do the exact same thing that they did, and some teams just chose not to and show Hey. Ultimately, I think I'm convinced that if there was a DH in the National League in twenty whenever he came over and played for the Angels, that he probably would have signed with the Dodgers then. So I think that once there was a DH in the National League that kind of sealed the deal that he was coming over.
Speaker 2: Daniel Hudson is our guest, one of the twenty four bullpen dogs that started the back to back championship as the Dodgers are looking for a three pete all right, since where he brought up Otani, was there a perception of him that you had and then was torn down or you got to know something more about him being teammates with him. Albeit in twenty four he was just a fifty to fifty hitter. But what was he like as a teammate to you? As a bullpen dog?
Speaker 1: He was awesome. You know. I didn't really get to know him too much. I was actually in spring training with the Angels in twenty eighteen, twenty nineteen, before he was rehabbing his first Tommy John, so he wasn't around a whole lot. He stood in on some bullpens that I threw, talked to him a little bit. Just just a really really good guy, like I said, I don't think if he wasn't a good guy, regardless of how good of a ballplayer he was, I'm not sure that the Dodgers would have brought him in if he wasn't a good guy, like I said. They're just so you know, in tune with that clubhouse and what needs to be brought in. And you know, he's just a really, really fantastic teammate. I really enjoyed playing with him. Obviously, him being the best baseball player to ever play the game really helps out when he's on your side. It's literally, it's just a it was just a privilege to be able to to watch it from the bullpen gates every single night.
Speaker 2: Before I let you go, I'm not I know you're enjoying your three girls, your family. You got a chance to go back to your hometown in North Carolina this past year. But since you are in Arizona and so many players reside out there, and you always hear about, you know, hitters training there in Arizona, could you ever envision yourself being a guy that would would open the doors to what you have to offer, even as like a personal pitching coach or one of those guys that instead of a hitter going to see maybe they come to see Daniel Hudson for some pitching help.
Speaker 1: Yeah, you know, there's always an opportunity like that out here. Like you said, there's just really good place for guys to kind of settle down for the off season. There's really good weather obviously in the off season to be able to get outside and actually throw outside. I know a lot of teammates that are in the Midwest or the East Coast, you know, they have to do a lot of of throwing indoors. It's a really good spot to be able to get outside and really just kind of let it loose, and you know, there's always that kind of opportunity. The guys that I played with always know that my cell phone's always on if they need anything. I've always I've let all of them know that. You know, there's there's there are many different avenues that that just can go down right now, like I said, like you said, I'm enjoying my family time, but there's also you know, if somebody calls me and needs me for a certain thing, there's definitely things that I'd look into for sure.
Speaker 2: That's awesome. You have so much to offer, Daniel, and I know how much everybody that you played with really respected you and what you stood for and just the way that you prepared and fought through so many things. So I'm glad I got to see you out there. It was bad luck for you because uh, maybe maybe a Dodger talk will tap into you just as much as Burns and Gambo out there in Arizona.
Speaker 1: Anytime, David, my phone's always on, like I said, uh my.
Speaker 2: Guy, Daniel Hudson love it and uh I'll have the fingers over my lips. Up says we hang up. Thanks for the time, appreciate it.
Speaker 1: No crime, buddy, anytime.