Speaker 1: It is showtime. A very pleasant, good evening, everybody. Greetings from the original Montgomery and home of the world's Greatest Ribs and the Scott Saderfield Radio Show. I'm Dan Hord. Along with the coach. Jim Kelly is not here tonight. I want to take a moment talk about my friend Jim Kelly. I'm a crier, so bear with me. Jim announced last week that he's going to step away from the mic for the rest of this season. As many of you know, Jim has been battling cancer. We will miss him. I know you will too. To know Jim Kelly is to love Jim Kelly. The name Jim Kelly is synonymous with University of Cincinnati Athletics. His dad, Jim Senior, started playing for the Bearcats in nineteen forty seven. Between his dad and Jim Junior, there has been a Jim Kelly basically associated with UC Athletics for seventy eight years. No family has mean more.
Speaker 2: So Jim.
Speaker 1: We love you, We wish you were here, and we know you're here in spirit. We know how much you enjoyed the game last Saturday, and our thoughts and prayers are with you and your family. All right, thank you appreciate that. Let's talk about the game. What a game it was, Cincinnati beating Iowa State last week, ranked fourteenth in the country, undefeated going into the game. Coach, for the first twenty nine minutes and fifty eight seconds of that game, I don't know that you could have played better thirty one to seven. It should have been thirty one to seven at the half if not for a tickie tak call and an interception by Matthew McDoom. Feel free to boo. I said it, Coach didn't. But in any case, the team I saw in the first twenty eight minutes and fifty eight seconds can go to toe to toe with anybody in the country.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 4: I was really proud of our guys the way they came out, you know, and that just speaks to how prepared they were throughout the week and and really ready to play. And I thought you could sense it on Saturday morning at our pregame meal, you know, how they man, they were all locked in. You know, you could see it on their faces, how hungry and eager they were ready to get to the game. And then you know, right from the start we went out and made some plays offensively, and you know, the guys just went right down the field and scored, and you know, you know, it just felt like it was on repeat. You know, every time we got the ball back, you go down and you score again. The players were hitting, the guys were executing, and you look up and you know, you got thirty one points on the board, you know, in the first half, which is amazing. You know, I think Alloa State's a really good team, really good defense, and they have been for years and years and years, and for us to be able to go out and play that way, I'm certainly a great start of the game and you know, ultimately was enough quite honestly to win it. And what we did in the first half, but you know, proud of that, and obviously some things we had to get need to get better in the second half, but still, you know, it was a great win for us.
Speaker 1: We have two tremendous guests that are going to want to at the bottom of the hour, quarterback Brendan Soresby, running back Tywie Walker. Let's yeah, that's right. Let's start with Tawee. Your two running backs, Evan pryor And and Tywee combined for two hundred rushing yards in the game. But Tywee created a meme that people are going to be seeing over and over again. Poor number fourteen for Iowa State. Uh looked like he got hit by a runaway freight train.
Speaker 3: It did it? Did you know?
Speaker 4: I would say that was the hit of the day, but I think Simon's hit hit on the quarterback may have been even harder. Yeah, than that one. But Tywee was incredible. I thought it was his best game since he's been here, you know. I thought Evan Pray played outstanding as well. They were a great one two punch, you know, they were you know, you get one that they're out there running, they're running over people. He comes to get some water and then Pryor comes in and takes it, takes it to the house. I mean, so it's a great one to two punch and these guys up. You know, Tywee is loaded a ground extremely wide and ran hard and you know, wearing with the shoulders you know, down and was running through guys and it just didn't happen one time.
Speaker 3: I mean it happened over and over and over.
Speaker 4: He was running hard, he was regressive and trying to get yards you know, one of the great plays I thought in the day was winning. I think, you know, he tried to truck somebody, he didn't go down, he kept running, and then here comes.
Speaker 3: The whole offense.
Speaker 4: I mean, I think we had eleven guys other than well, ten guys other than the Sowersby that were in that pile pushing it. I think he ended up get seventeen or eighteen yards on that run, and that just kind of set the tone for the day and you know, pretty much said hey, we're here and we're gonna be playing this way all day long, you know.
Speaker 3: But yeah, there was a great one two punch.
Speaker 4: I love watching them guys play, and you know, that's what we expect out of those guys.
Speaker 1: Your offense is number two in the country and yards per play you average eight point zero five yards every time you snap the ball. You're number two in the country and yards per rush six point five eight yards every time you run the ball, and that says that your offensive line is playing great. Again. They were named the Big East offensive line a Big twelve excuse me, Big twelve offensive end of the week. Third time that's happened in five games. That's incredible.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I mean it's hard to do.
Speaker 4: I mean, you know, as many teams as we have that play in this league, and there's a lot of teams in our league that are putting up great you know, points and yardage. I'm doing some really good things you know, would be recognized obviously. That's you know, a credit to the guys up front. Coach Cardwell and you know, Gavin, we had some of those guys that were in here last week talking and you know, man, but they're just they're playing on their mission now.
Speaker 3: A couple of stars just walked in right there.
Speaker 4: Uh they deserve it though, no doubt. But yeah, really proud of the boys up front because I mean, these two guys would be the first to tell you. I mean, they can't do what they need to do without the protection and the run blocking of the guys. And they take so much pride in playing physical. But not only did they open a lot of holes running the ball, but you know, he didn't get sacked again this this game. You know, we've still given up one sack and five you know which is I mean, I don't know it's one or two in the time for first half or first in the country. And uh, you know, that's a lot about the boys up front.
Speaker 1: I'm just glad that we walked to his table without knocking anybody.
Speaker 4: You guys are lucky that we're sitting the right in that little aisle right there, man, because he runs over our guys and there, guys, you know, he's just running.
Speaker 1: Let's talk about special teams. It's always the part of the team that gets the least amount of attention. But in last week's game two long kickoff returns. He made all of your kicks. Stephen Russknack is thirty for thirty. It's an ESPN show. He's made all thirty of his pats and his field goals. You punted down to the one yard line when it was still a tight game. I mean pretty much everything you could do in that phase you did extremely well.
Speaker 4: We did We covered well too, you know, and Stephen kicked off well. You know, yeah, that was a great play by Fletch there to have to put that ball down the one yard line. And obviously, you know, anytime that you get a ball at the minus one like that, there's not a whole lot you can do that. I think they ran quarterback sneak ran up the middle Basically they're saying we're gonna punt, you know, and then we get the ball back in great field position. You know, that was it takes again, it takes all three phases. We've talked about this. The margin you know, to win the big twelve is so small, so you've got to find ways to get to generate yards.
Speaker 3: We won the field position battle no question.
Speaker 4: You know, you mentioned the two kickoff returns that were outstanding, Logan Wilson, both of those and the guys blocked really nicely up front. You know, they tried to kick off and wed we popped a big return on them, and we knew and when that happens, they end up doing a skykick meeting. They just bloop it up high hoping you're a fair catch it. Just take the ball in the twenty five yard line. Coach Pascal and his guys, you know, came up with a scheme to get back to the field. We kind of invited them over here to where we are and we tend them and then that's the big return that we got back to the field. You know, got it all across the midfield. So that was a great scheme by them. Try to steal some yards, but they playing at a high level right now. We got to continue to play that way in the special teams because it's obviously helping us win games.
Speaker 1: So you face UCF at Nippert Stadium this Saturday at noon. It's a team that's been going through quarterbacks, partly due to injury. Their starter last week, Tavian Jackson, who played with Brendan Soarsby at Indiana, suffered an upper body injury. His arm was in a sling in the second half of that game. The guy that started the season opener for them came back to relieve him last week, so it seems like he's okay to play this week. The other quarterback that's played, Ja Curry Brown, has an ac joint spring, so not quite sure about his status. That happened a couple of weeks ago, but there is a little bit of an unknown there for the opposing quarterback this week.
Speaker 4: It is like it was last year as well, and if you recall, we went down to Central Florida and we didn't really know who was going to start that game.
Speaker 3: They ended up starting a true freshman.
Speaker 4: Last time we went down there, Ja Corey Brown ended up coming in the game and really finished the game out and played well and played well. Yeah, he's a good player. He's a big kid. He can run, you know. And really, you know, fourteen, the kid that finished the game this past week, he can run as well. And I think he's played at Marshall, played at FAU, Jacorey Brown played at the University of Miami.
Speaker 3: I mean, so these guys have played, They've got some experience.
Speaker 4: All three of the guys have good size, and they all can run. So therefore you got to, you know, you got to know where they're at if they're gonna, you know, have any of these Q runs. And then they have some fastbacks and me two running backs that can really go, you know, And so it's gonna be imperative that we can you know, be around the box to be able to stop that run. That's the strength of our offense, you know, and obviously stay on top of any kind of passes that they may try to throw on us, you know.
Speaker 3: But but it'll be a challenge.
Speaker 4: I told our guys today, I think this is the fastest team that we've played this year.
Speaker 3: And I'm saying overall, you know, when you think.
Speaker 4: About all three phases, their speed everywhere these you know, you think about a Florida team a lot of there's a lot of speed running around there in the high school ranks, and they have a lot of that. They have a lot of talent guys that can run, you know, So we certainly have a you know, we have to have a great week of practice here and to go out and play a really, really good game.
Speaker 1: At Cincinnati versus you ce F this Saturday at noon at Nippert Stadium. The Bearcats just outside of the top twenty five. They could pop in if they're able to pull off another win on Saturday. We're gonna take a time out when we come back questions from the audience. We have a tremendous crowd of Bearcat fans with us tonight. We're live at the original Montgomery In home of the world's Greatest Ribs on seven hundred WLW first and ten from the Iowa State thirty. They give it to Pror. A huge hole opens up.
Speaker 5: He's pretty for the end Towne touchdown. Bearcats has Cincinnati scores on a thirty yard.
Speaker 1: Sprint by Evan Pryor. That was the Bearcats first touchdown on Saturday and the win over Iowa State I asked Evan Cryer earlier today if he was touched on that thirty thirty yard touchdown run. His exact response was, I was grazed. So that's how good the offensive line was last week. All right, we're gonna open it up to some questions from the audience. Our man, Zach Stipe, has the wireless mic in his hands. So if you have a question for coach Saderfield, raise your hand, and Zach we'll find you.
Speaker 3: We got one back here. What's your name, sir? This is Scary Schlegel coach.
Speaker 6: If I remember correctly, last week, you said you're gonna have a lot of recruits.
Speaker 3: Yeah, in for this game.
Speaker 2: Did it pay any dividends? Did you gaint good?
Speaker 3: Yeah?
Speaker 4: Well, I mean we had we had six committed guys that were here, and so they were they were when we got finished playing, you know, everybody's on the field and I go into the locker room. There there's the sixth Summer in the locker room celebrating, which was awesome.
Speaker 3: They're, you know, hanging out with our guys and so.
Speaker 4: And then on top of that, yeah, we had a bunch of uh twenty twenty seven recruits.
Speaker 3: Some twenty twenty eight.
Speaker 4: You know, some young guys are in high school right now, so it made a huge impression on them, and we got some great feedback.
Speaker 3: They loved it.
Speaker 4: They loved the atmosphere, the crowd, you know, really just the whole at you know.
Speaker 3: The whole thing.
Speaker 4: I mean, as far as you know the game and how our guys played, and because all these guys, you know, they visualized themselves playing in that uniform, watching our guys play and in front of that crowd.
Speaker 3: And uh man, they were very, very excited.
Speaker 4: So yeah, hopefully it we'll pay dividends with some of these younger guys in the future, and we're staying on top of them.
Speaker 1: Couldn't have been much better, I would. Yeah, you know, this atmosphere, the students storm the field. Yeah, good stuff. Yeah, all right? Is Wayne next?
Speaker 2: Wayne is next? All right?
Speaker 3: Hi, coach.
Speaker 7: My question is regarding the illegal receiver downfield situation. Clearly Gerhart was stumbling trying to you know, yeah, that wasn't the thing, but but Terran was.
Speaker 3: He was down down there.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 3: So my question is.
Speaker 7: How are the O linemen taught and coached on situations like that? Is it a count situation? Are they told to count, you know, two, three, four, five or something. Does it depend on what play is called? Are there different variables?
Speaker 3: There is, you know.
Speaker 4: And anytime you're running plays that have a pass associated with they run.
Speaker 3: That's the r p O run pass option.
Speaker 4: We if it's it's gonna be a quick pass, we don't say anything to the guys up front, so we anticipate.
Speaker 3: Them coming off the ball.
Speaker 4: They'll allow you three yards sometimes three and a half right in that range down the field, and they won't call anything. The two plays they got called were plays that were gonna be throwing the ball down the field. So we make a heavy call, which means now you can't go downfield, so you need to take just a few steps and then stop. Well, Gavin went to block his guy and the guy actually swam his over top of him, and then he started stumbling. He ends up going about four or five yards accidentally. And the guy had already warn me. He say, coach, you're getting close. You're getting close throughout the day, and I was like, all right, So I went and told the guys and so I look up and Gavin's down the field, and Gavin's like, man, you know, I tried to hit him, but I failed, you know, basically fell down. So you know, that was we got about twenty five yards on that play. The other one, you know, tarn was just he just messed up, like he just messed up. That was a play we had schemed up throughout the week. We knew the linebackers were to be really soft, and so they were like seven yards deep, you know, tearing only on that run play. If it was a run, He's got to go work up to that backer. He just kind of he said, Coach, I thought he was actually running the ball.
Speaker 2: I didn't, you know.
Speaker 3: I was like, no, we were gonna throw that one, you know. And of course in that play that was the wind.
Speaker 4: The safety in the corner came up and Brendan hit the down the sideline for fifty two yards, and I was we were all celebrating, and then we looked back and see that penalty.
Speaker 3: I was like, what happened? And he went down the field. So that was unfortunate.
Speaker 4: But we do make a call if we know it's going to be a ball down the field or where they have to just sit right there to the line of scrimmage.
Speaker 1: Excellent question.
Speaker 2: Question.
Speaker 1: I just learned something there that was great, Brian.
Speaker 8: Coach that that sequence where all the offensive penalties and you end up with forty thousand referees disagree.
Speaker 1: Have you seen a sequence like that? It was the week before. Everybody other than that than that, never never.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I think there were seven straight eight penalties now and not all on the offense, but there was there was two special teams in there that was you know, the offense had their share. You know, that was a bad sequence. I wish they would just let the guys play a little bit, you know, and and not throw so many penalties. But you know, in one of the things that we went on Sunday and I showed the guys, I probably I think six or seven penalties that we had in that game, and they were legit penalties, you know, And I was like, Okay, you guys can complain and say, hey, they're out to get you and this and that, and I was like, but here's the legit penalties that you guys had, and we got to clean this up, like we have to be more disciplined. We had I think we had four on deep, maybe four or five on defense. You know, Logan Wilson was grabbed the face mask over there, that's a penalty.
Speaker 9: You know.
Speaker 3: He picked the guy up and slammed him.
Speaker 4: I thought that was a little questionable, but but they're gonna call that if you slam a guy, you know, Simons, you know that's tough and he's playing hard. The quarterback spun he's right in front of him and get the targeting penalty, you know, but they're gonna call that, like you know, we see it each and every week.
Speaker 3: So I just told we got to be more disciplined.
Speaker 4: We got to clean up some of that stuff because you know, when we get to games where there really really tight that that will cost you ball game.
Speaker 3: So it's a learning thing for us.
Speaker 1: And the interception, Yeah, that that wasn't ability.
Speaker 2: That was that was That was a bad call.
Speaker 3: Definitely not a fenlity pillus definitely coach.
Speaker 9: After the Kansas game, pretty much the proverbial encyclo Apedia Britannica could have been sent to the Big Twelve officiating questioning some of those calls because some of those, as we kind of think, were pretty egregious. Even this week. Another volume could have become as a supplement with some of those calls. I think the one that really just if the ref had a long white cane and dark glasses, I'm pretty sure that that one would be a questionable one because I know I personally watched that several times and said, I'm not saying it. So how do you help the guys get past some of these what a hack kind of calls?
Speaker 4: Yeah, I mean, and that's what we tell us part of our meeting on Sunday when I showed them, you know, some of the calls that were legit. As you know, we can't worry about some of these things, like it's out of our control. And and I know it's human nature, you know, to complain about it. And I told them, I said, they let our fans complain, you know, they all those reps hurt our fans. I'll, you know, let them keep doing that. But but you have to stay composed, you know. I thought, again we talked about this at Kansas. They did a great job of coming right back and making plan the next play, because that was to me more frustrating at Kansas when you get four touchdowns called back, you know, and I think I think control what you control, which is playing hard, doing your job. Let the other stuff just happen as it's gonna happen. I'll yell at the rest, you know, we'll we'll turn these things in and try to talk through it at the end of this and try to get them better. But our guys can't can't control these rests, and so they have to just play and play hard and hopefully things go our way.
Speaker 10: Dave, Hey, coach, I saw that the Oklahoma State game just got flat next to eight o'clock on ESPN two. How much does a primetime game help the exposure of the university.
Speaker 3: Yeah, it's just all about winning.
Speaker 4: I don't care what time it is, man, Yeah, if it's twelve, noon, seven, eight, three thirty, just go win. I think, you know, you want to have eyes on the program for sure, like whenever you're playing, you know, But I think the main thing for us is to go out and play well and get the victory.
Speaker 3: You know, we haven't played it.
Speaker 4: I guess the last I feel like the last game at night was Nebraska. You know, so it's been a while now, because so that one next week will be around that similar time.
Speaker 3: The things we worry about is, all right, how are we going to travel? You know?
Speaker 4: How is our day gonna set up for that day because that's a longer day for us.
Speaker 3: There will be ball on that day, so that's good.
Speaker 4: When the guys are in the hotel, so you know, we probably usually go to a to a high school, you know, and practice up twenty thirty minutes to a little walk through before the game.
Speaker 3: So it should be a good routine for us, Tom coach.
Speaker 6: If the videos on my phone are correct, the last time the students stormed the field was December fourth, twenty twenty one. I don't know how much you can say about it, but let me ask you this way, how does it affect the team.
Speaker 3: When they storm to feel like that's her? Yeah?
Speaker 4: No, I mean it's great. That means you're doing something good. You know, it's pretty awesome, you know. I think I said this today. I think it's awesome for our students, particularly because you know, when you come to school like this and they're so involved in our games, football and basketball, and they're there and that participation.
Speaker 3: They don't forget it.
Speaker 4: And when you play a ranked team and you win and they get the wrong on the.
Speaker 3: Field, they talk about that.
Speaker 4: They'll talk about that for years, And I think they're creating some great memories and that's what I like about it.
Speaker 3: But it's good for our team. But it just means we played well.
Speaker 6: And if you had a chance to look up in the stands, you saw the student section was there at the end of the game.
Speaker 4: Absolutely, man, it was awesome. It was awesome. That was a great crowd. I love the stripe red and black. Great coach. Yep, well, yep, try to be I mean, we uh, we put it all together.
Speaker 3: I think it all helps. Like certainly, Bob, so.
Speaker 11: You're you know, it's uh getting late in the game and you're sitting uh on the minus eighteen and.
Speaker 12: Most people just get the first down.
Speaker 2: Let's keep this going.
Speaker 11: What did you see that that you could talk to swersby Yeah and make that call.
Speaker 2: Because that was so that was beautiful time beautiful.
Speaker 3: It was beautiful.
Speaker 4: And I think you know that play, that actual play we called on fourth and ten at the Kansas game that we ended up hitting Noah on fourth and ten. It's the same play, you know, and Brenda's done a good job of reading that play out. We've we've run that play. I think I can't remember, maybe five or six times this year. We've hit all four receivers in that particular play depending on what the defense does. And in that play we saw man with with no free safety back there, and so he just told sore behaved, the post may be here, you know, and then he drops back and it shirted up. It was and we feel like, goodie on one on one is gonna win. And you know, he broke it out as a great throw. He put a lot of.
Speaker 3: Air under it.
Speaker 4: You know, what a great moment in that game at that point in time. We needed to have a play for sure. At that point in time, we hadn't done a whole lot in the second half and it come in a critical time to get to get up two scores. And it's just a great execution by our guys and good job locking up front.
Speaker 3: He had great time on that one, and man good he did the rest. It was awesome.
Speaker 1: Stu Hey coach first of all, Jim.
Speaker 13: I'm sure Jim's probably listening at home, and he's had been in our prayers and we'll continue to be thanks to a full recovery. And I'm guessing maybe now besides coach Fickle calling, you went walker back maybe coach days calling for prior as well.
Speaker 12: After this week.
Speaker 13: Yeah, both were wonderful. So any major injuries from from this past week that we need to worry about for this game.
Speaker 3: No, we came out. We came out of the game healthy.
Speaker 4: I thought Dante man, you know, obviously worry he I think he ended up with thirty two snaps maybe in the game, which was great for him. Sunday came in. It felt good, you know, which is awesome. That's what you want to see. I think I think all our guys came out of the game for you know, you're always gonna have some bruises here and there, but I think all our guys came out healthy, and you know, they all practiced today, so it's good to see.
Speaker 1: All Right, we need to take a time out. We'll let coach take a seat. When we come back, we'll be joined by our special guest tonight, Brendan Soresby and ty Wee Walker. This is the Scott Saderfield Radio Show. We're live at the original Montgomery In home of the world's Greatest rips on seven hundred wlw Alan goes in motion, now goes back in the original direction. Soresby looking throwing Royer with the catch, break.
Speaker 5: The tackle, touchdown, Bearcats, you called it. Cincinnati finds Royer on third and five, and he scores to give the Bearcats a sixteen to nothing lead. One of the highlights from Saturday's win over fourteenth ranked Iowa State, and the guy that threw that touchdown passes one of our guests tonight here at the original Montgomery In home of the world's greatest rips. Let me introduce the two guys that are up at the table here with me. I'm going to start farthest away with a red shirt senior from Las Vegas, Nevada, in his first year as a Bearcat. He is currently public enemy number one in the defensive backs room at Iowa State after his angry runs last Saturday. Let's hear it for number three, Tawie Walker.
Speaker 1: Lazy and next to me, a red shirt junior from Denton, Texas that's a little bit north of Dallas. He's in his second year with the Bearcats. The highest graded quarterback in the country currently by Pro Football Focus, number two, Brendan Soresby. All Right, we heard a Brendan highlight his touchdown pass to Joe Royer a few moments ago. We're gonna listen in to a Tawee highlight from last week's game. I think this was ten nothings Cincinnati at the time, about three minutes to go in the first quarter. A memory that number fourteen from Iowa State would like to forget. Let's listen back. Cincinnati lines up, quickly snaps it, hands it off to Walker again, finds a hole right side. Oh my gosh, he just put his helmet into a defensive back and trucked him before running down to the forty four yard line of Iowa State. That is as violently as I think I've ever seen a running back run over at.
Speaker 11: dB was Carson Willich as well, coming up to make a play helmet straight through the chest from Walker.
Speaker 1: That was something Tony Pike identified the victim. I was, you know, just only going to refer to him by number. I want to ask you, Brandon, what did that do for everybody else on the team?
Speaker 14: I think it, you know, did something to everybody in the stadium was like, wow, So this is how you know Cincinnati's coming today. I think it just shows like the toughness obviously that he brings to the table, and then just the physicality that we're playing with as a team.
Speaker 12: Right now. But no, that was.
Speaker 14: Definitely, probably by far of the best truck that I've ever seen. I was kind of shocked when I saw his feet kind of going to the air. I was like, oh gosh, that's not good.
Speaker 12: So no, it was an unbelievable run for sure.
Speaker 2: Do you try to set a tone how we definitely like especially the type of team we have. We have a lot of feed on the team and in the backfield we have. We have a lot of guys that's real fast and it can do stuff out the backfield, not kind of the I'm kind of the guy that has to be the power guy and set the tone. That's kind of my game. So definitely try to set the tone.
Speaker 1: He's game. You and have a combined for two hundred rushing yards last week. I think on the majority of your runs you are a couple of yards down the field before you got touched. I mean, how would you describe the way the old line has played this year?
Speaker 2: Man? They've played amazing, especially we got two new guys that's first year is just like me on the team. It's really it falls under Gavin though. Gavin Gyard is a probably the best leader I've been around and he has them guys sharp and as the chemistry is amazing.
Speaker 1: Brandon, you've only been sacked once, as coach mentioned, tied for first in the country. I think Oregon and Navy have also only surrendered one sacked. Navy doesn't count because they don't pass very often. But the same question for you that I just asked Tawee, how would you describe the play of the old line.
Speaker 14: Yeah, unbelievable, not only just in the past game, but the run game as well, clear and run lanes for these guys and myself to run the ball and then whenever we need to throw the ball downfield and push it downfield.
Speaker 12: They're doing a great job of protecting that.
Speaker 14: One sacks not not even their fault, so you know, it was on a bootleg and just happened to be a perfect dot up play for Kansas. So they're playing really well up front and definitely glad to be buying those guys.
Speaker 1: Are you a little horse from trying to be heard over the crowd on Saturday?
Speaker 12: Yeah, it is like my voice. I'm just battling through it right now. I'm trying.
Speaker 14: I'm trying to actually focus on it, so I'm not voice cracking up here.
Speaker 12: But yeah, my voice is gone.
Speaker 14: I've had I had to drink a little little potion from mister Aaron Himmler or or a trainer to be able to go tonight. So it's not just the game that you're preparing for, Dan, you know, you're preparing for for the radio interview as well.
Speaker 1: Yeah, well, shoot, the next time my voice goes, I'm going to Aaron because you're getting you something out, which is good. We love having players on this show. We typically have two at every show. In the second half hour, I like to ask each guy to talk about the other because I know college athletes sometimes are reluctant to talk about themselves. So that's what I'm going to do tonight. Brendan, describe your teammate and friends. How wee Walker?
Speaker 12: Yeah, so when a tie we got here.
Speaker 14: You know, he the image that he puts on on Instagram and stuff is that he's, you know.
Speaker 12: Just this tough guy and he's really just a sweetheart. You know.
Speaker 14: He's actually one of my one of my best friends on the team, so you know, we're always messing with each other.
Speaker 12: He's a really good leader.
Speaker 14: He's been been awesome for just our offseason program for the young guys to buy in. Just being a new guy and still be able to be a leader is really impressive. And then, like I said, he's just a sweetheart. He's fun to be around, and he's he's one of my good buddies.
Speaker 1: And your turn to describe your feelings for a brand.
Speaker 3: Uh.
Speaker 2: Yeah, this is one of my closest friends on the team, if not the closest. Uh. I feel like I hang out with him the most out of out of the guys on the team, especially I'm my older guy. I really don't hang around college campus too often, so especially when I'm my free time, I usually spend with him. Uh. One of the most confident guys I've been around. A great thing though. He's not cocky, real humble, but super confident off and on the field. So blessed to be a part of this team. He's super dynamic on the field, makes my job easier when when teams have to worry about what he can do. So it's like that's a blessing. And be a part of a team with a corback can run, throw the ball and running like a running back, so it's really like you got two backs on the field at once. So this is a blessing to be a part of this team.
Speaker 1: Well, so we were fortunate to have you in the sense that at the end of last season, you play at Wisconsin, you're getting ready to go pro, thinking that you know you're gonna get ready for the NFL Draft, And then the NCAA decided that players who had played in junior college previously could have an extra year of eligibility. That opened up a chance for you to have one more college season, and we're thrilled you elected to a come to Cincinnati to play that season. You must be just delighted by how this is all working out for.
Speaker 2: You, definitely, And I'm super grateful to Beer and I'm super happy to be This is a great choice for me, and it's just everything's to me. I think everything happens for a reason, and I feel like everything's falling into place just like how I plan it to go. So I'm super grateful to be here, all right.
Speaker 1: When Nick Say was still the head coach at Alabama, he used to talk about his team's getting a lot of attention and publicity, and the term he used was rat poison. He didn't want his players to taste that rat poison. So are we in a position now where you guys have to think about how you're going to deal with success after knocking off a number fourteen rank team and climbing toward the top twenty five yourself.
Speaker 14: I think, you know, the mindset that we attack each and every week is, you know, go want to know. I think that we've already forgotten about the past two games. Obviously, you know, we're we're happy about the wins, but you know, those two games don't define us, and you know, we want to go achieve our goals, which is getting to Dallas and you know, winning a big twelve championship at the end of the day. So we got to take it one week at a time. We're doing a really good job of blocking the outside noise out. Obviously, you know, with with success comes all this, you know, publicity and stuff. But we're doing a good job of blocking it out and we're just ready to go for this Saturday.
Speaker 1: I think coach Sanderfield made a great point speaking to the media earlier today. You've only played two league games. It's been great, but you've got seven league games to go, hopefully eighty.
Speaker 2: Especially I played in the Big Twelve before the Big Twelve, so it's so shaky. Anybody can beat anybody in the Big Twelve. One of the most competitive conferences in my opinion, and I'm kind I'm kind of happy they left us out of the top twenty five, so we still have that edge and to prove to everybody that, like, we got to just keep going if we want to be where if we want to be where we want to be, then we have to keep winning and just keep stacking day. So we have to flush it, and we're really been emphasizing that. So I think the team gets the point.
Speaker 1: When the students storm the field, do you have a sense that it's coming or does it surprise you when all of a sudden you see the sea of humanity coming your way.
Speaker 14: Yeah, I mean I thought it was kind of obvious whenever they started taking down the railings or whatever you want to call it. I didn't notice that, and they're kind of like starting to pour onto the field out on that end zone. So it was definitely a black You know, that's what you dream of as a kid, is, you know, being a part of that, being a part of the winning team and being able to interact with the fans on the field.
Speaker 12: It was a blast.
Speaker 14: So you know, hopefully obviously you don't get the opportunity to rust the field a ton, but you know, hopefully we have continued success for these fans. They did a great job and they were a huge part of that victory on Saturday.
Speaker 1: Did you linger out there, Tawee or did you seek shelter?
Speaker 2: No? I lingered out there and the fans were so nice.
Speaker 3: Man.
Speaker 2: This I really was expecting. Whereas I thought it was gonna be chaos, everybody just bumping into everybody, but they were so nice to accent take pictures and autographs. I was surprised. You a lot of younger kids out there, but I love to see the younger kids out there, uh, smiling and having fun. So it was it was a blast for me. It was definitely something I want to see again. All right.
Speaker 1: Our special guests are quarterback Brendon Source being running back Tawie Walker. We're going to open it up to questions from the audience when we come back. We're live at the original Montgomery In home of the world's greatest reps on News Radio seven hundred DOULW Third Down and eight Cats at their own eighteen yard line. Soresby catches the shotgun snap he's looking to throw, floats it high and deep downfield.
Speaker 5: Good even the catch, racing to the forty thirty twenty fifteen.
Speaker 15: Ten five touchdown Bearcats eighty two yards and in case you're wondering, no penalty.
Speaker 1: Flags made sense at the time to add that nugget. Welcome back to the Scott Sanderfield Radio Show. We're live at the original Montgomery In home of the world's greatest ribs. Brendan Soresby one of our guests tonight. He has twelve touchdown passes, only one pick this year to how we walker our other guests, leading the bear Cats with three hundred and thirteen rushing yards, averaging more than five and a half yards per Carrie. Time for questions from the audience. Stew Is up first.
Speaker 13: So, Tyrie, you'd not only trucked him once, you trucked him twice number fourteen. I'm just curious after the first time you trucked him, then he he hit Brandon pretty hard and he went back to the sideline celebrating. I'm just curious, Brendan, did you say something to Tyree like you gotta truck.
Speaker 1: Him one more go get him again.
Speaker 12: Yeah, no, no, I didn't. I think tell we, I think you.
Speaker 14: I think he kind of approaches you know, each each run the same way, like somebody's gonna get ran over regardless. So fourteen was just the unlucky victim of it. So yeah, no, I was. I was just kind of chogging some trash to fourteen after he hit me. Then the refs started getting onto me, and then that was all other deal. But yeah, ti uh, he did a good job running him over again.
Speaker 1: A little surprised there wasn't police tape on the field where that happened.
Speaker 3: Fellas.
Speaker 9: This is just an observation more than anything. Some of the other conferences who think that their defecation has no odor have tried to call You're welcome the Big twelve, the truck Stop Conference. I just want to thank you for putting the truck in the truck Stop Conference.
Speaker 1: All right, John Daniel hustling over today for the next question. Good first step quickness.
Speaker 3: There, Hey, guys, this is for both of you.
Speaker 16: I typically asked this question of the guys that are here with you, guys not being from Cincinnati, what's one thing from Cincinnati that you guys like, whether it be a restaurant, a place to go, another sports team.
Speaker 12: Yeah, I'll go, I'll go.
Speaker 2: I feel like it's gonna be the same answer, but go ahead.
Speaker 14: Well, I really enjoyed Jeff Ruby's.
Speaker 12: That's my favorite place to go.
Speaker 14: The offensive line also really enjoys Jeff Ruby, so we go there quite frequently. And then I also really enjoy baseball, so I like going to some Reds games for sure.
Speaker 2: I'll have to say Jeff Rubies too. That's probably my most go to spot out here. I haven't got this is to go to a baseball game or a Bengals game. I'm gonna go to a Bengals game next week.
Speaker 1: All right, I see the Joe Flacco Show.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I hope, I hope as I hope it's a fun game. I definitely, I definitely hope it's a fun game. They played a Steelers. It should be an interesting game.
Speaker 1: It's gonna be a great win on a Thursday night. You heard it here. First down, go the dreaded, hated, but grudgingly respected Pittsburgh Steelers.
Speaker 17: All Right, two comments in a question. Damn great call at the end.
Speaker 1: That was just what make you sir?
Speaker 17: Did you pre playing that?
Speaker 5: Uh?
Speaker 2: Oh the upset?
Speaker 1: Uh sort of so I I mentioned during the game that it wasn't going to be an upset and then that kind of got the gears turning that what would it be? Thank you appreciate it.
Speaker 3: All.
Speaker 17: The stats are great, but your leadership this year is just incredible and that's why we're doing combined with the players obviously, is why we're doing well.
Speaker 3: So thank you. Be a great leader.
Speaker 2: And tywee.
Speaker 17: Any difference between playing at Wisconsin and here that you've noticed, it might be a tough question to answer, but just throwing it out.
Speaker 2: There, very tough question. But I love I love them guys dearly at Wisconsin, but it's just way more heart on this team starts with our leaders. Definitely. We just we're a player led team and we're just so bought into this team, into this program, and I feel like I haven't been a part of a team that has this much heart and belief. So I feel like this is just that's the biggest difference career.
Speaker 3: Love that love.
Speaker 18: That's all right. So I'm a student like you guys. I'm a third year business major. I don't know what your guys majuor is how do you balance your athletic life with your academic life? And we're some sacrifices that you have to make in your life to succeed in both fields.
Speaker 14: Well, how whe he's like twenty six, I don't even know if he still does school anymore, how to do something. I'm in a pretty easy major myself. I'm I always joke around it while not being here to play school. So you know, obviously the degree is important, but at the end of the day, we all want to win football games. So the sacrifice I would say is just like, you know, making sure that you are getting your work done, making sure that you are you know, making good grades to stay eligible obviously, but I would say, you know, just just continueing too.
Speaker 12: Obviously, it's tough going for practice.
Speaker 14: And you're at the facility all day and then just trying to stay ahead of your homework that we're not, you know, really flustered at the last second trying to get it all in. So I don't know if we I don't know if he has anything to add on to that.
Speaker 2: Like, like he said, I'm an older guy, so I'm fortunate enough to have online classes and that's not too art. But when I was a younger guy, uh, I'm assuming it's all sports teams. They they kind of forced you into having tutors and whatnot. So you guys have help, help, help anytime you need it. So that's really the biggest difference. You guys have a lot of sports teams. I have a lot of help around them, So that's probably the biggest thing.
Speaker 3: Brian so Brendan.
Speaker 8: I was gonna ask coach this, and then I realized, wait, I can just ask you that r PO that was never really an r p O. The touchdown that you ran for. Was that designed that way? Or did you see something? And it's like, I just.
Speaker 12: Gotta go, I wouldn't. I don't know.
Speaker 14: Okay, now now you kind of stopped me with that question, but it was it was kind of just a designed run for me. We didn't obviously see it going back that way. That was just kind of a happening. But no, it was the old line protected it really well, and then the just the motion from our tight ends and stuff got him to you know, overrun it, and then just the red sea parted. So it was just just kind of a happ I guess.
Speaker 19: Nancy Hey, guys, question for Brendan. All right, so last weekend I was fell asleep, woke up about three o'clock and with the end of the Kansas State game, and all the guys came on and they were going, hey, we all voted against you.
Speaker 1: You did a really good job.
Speaker 3: We thought you were.
Speaker 19: Going to lose, and you did a little two foot shuffle.
Speaker 3: Just a little saucer, just a little song. Was it that? What it was? Just a little saucer, not too much.
Speaker 12: I don't want to.
Speaker 2: Don't you do it?
Speaker 12: Don't you ask me to do it right here?
Speaker 3: Don't you ask me?
Speaker 1: Good try Nancy? Anybody else have a question for Brendan or Tawei.
Speaker 20: Yes, Tracy Brendan, I've already mentioned this too, But your body has changed a lot since last.
Speaker 1: Year, and so is mine, but is going in the right directions.
Speaker 20: As someone that has noticed, and I'm sure other people have noticed, what are some of the things that you have done to achieve this transformation?
Speaker 14: You know, honestly, it's just been just been all the players just buying into the weightlifting and offseason program with Nico Palazetdi. He's done a great job and pretty much, you know, going into the summer, and as we got closer to season, I knew that I was gonna be obviously running the ball a good amount, and I wanted to be able to take more hits and you know, be in better shape. So eventually I just said, you know what, it's gonna suck. It's gonna suck for everybody. We're all gonna hate our lives for the next couple of months, but we might as well just buy in and you know, see what we can get from it. And you know, the results speak for itself that our strength stuff is one of the best in the country.
Speaker 12: So I just really happy with those guys.
Speaker 1: Nico is a big reason why you came here, right Toalie.
Speaker 2: Definitely, Nico was a one of the biggest, biggest roles or bigger roles that uh my decision a comer. He was just so invested in his players, like he had a plan planned out for me on my visit here, which was insane to me, but I loved it, and I was just He's a big role, a big part of what chose Cincinnati.
Speaker 1: All Right, any more audience questions, I think we could take one more if we have one, No, nobody, all Right, here's my next question. We got a couple of minutes left for this. You and Evan Tawi formed the classic thunder and lightening combo. He's got blazing speed. You are obviously one of the most powerful running backs in the country. But the whole thunder and lightning thing has been done a million times. Many running back combos have been called thunder and lightning. So I've come up with three possibilities. I ran this by Evan earlier today. He made his choice. Now see if you agree, all right, and we can get audience participation as well. Number one, jet and jackhammer anything alright, alright? Number number two, burst and barry. Number three, the accelerator and the anvil, all right, like any of them?
Speaker 2: I got it. I got a question. Yeah, what is the an veil?
Speaker 1: Anvil is like a big heavy piece of metal. What is an anvil used for to like, to keep a boat from moving? Yeah, it's a gigantic piece of metal. With that, I know you can picture that now, used to kill the coyote and the road rudder cartoons.
Speaker 2: I think I think we I think we should come up with some more.
Speaker 1: Burst, Burst and Barry doesn't do it for you. Evan like Burst and Barry. Of course he's burst. Maybe Barry is Barry somebody. Oh, I'm thinking like a yeah, like a stop b B.
Speaker 3: You are one.
Speaker 1: I should have spelled it out.
Speaker 2: Oh that's the best one.
Speaker 1: That's the leader. For now, we'll see if we can do better. All right, we are just about out of time. Let's hear it for Brendan Soresby until we walk. All right, It's the Bearcats against the Night Saturday at noon. Our pregame coverage on the radio will start at eleven in the morning. Hope you'll tune in. Thanks so much for the Bearcat fans are with us here tonight. We've got some stuff to give away as soon as we sign off the radio portion of the show. You've been listening to the Scott Sanderfield Radio show. I'm Home of the Cats seven undred w l W M m HM