Speaker 1: Do you want to be an American at the fog dead slash President's Dad? Good Marti Scott's loan back on seven hundred WWD to driving. Yeah, that FOG's no joke this morning. There's there's still a fog out there. Obviously, I don't think it's gonna burn off till like ten eleven, twelve o'clock today. For sure makes sense with the warm weather moving and all that snow and ice and rain, O the grap you know what the moisture is what's causing this? Obviously definitely two hands on the wheel and turn the fog lights on if you have them. So, if you are in the under the age of fifty, in that cohort sub fifty, you are seeing an eighty percent increase over the last thirty years of cancers, in particular digestive cancers. You're twice as likely to have colon cancer, four times more cases of rectal cancer than people born in nineteen fifty. That's unreal. What's driving this is the question? He is Randy Drusik, He's the president of eh C and Kenwood.
Speaker 2: Good morning. How are you?
Speaker 1: Those are all seeing rapid increases as well as a matter of fact, today, in twenty twenty five, young adults are twice as likely to be diagnosed with colon cancer and four times more likely to be diagnosed with rectal cancer as those born in nineteen fifty. What the hell is driving this trend? And how do we fix it? Randy Drosick is the president of HC here in Kenwood. Doctor DROSSI, good morning.
Speaker 2: How are you?
Speaker 3: I'm fine, Thank you and thanks for having me.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I appreciate it.
Speaker 1: Weird paradox here, we're getting better at finding and treating cancer as much earlier than ever before. But why then are people developing cancers younger than ever before? Or is it because that we are discovering them at an early age because of that treatment? It's kind of like a self fulfilling prophecy here.
Speaker 3: That's good. We don't really know why people are being diagnosed younger, but that we definitely have a trend in colon, breath, cervical and a few other cancers that we are seeing this it's being studied. We're concentrating. We've been concentrating for detection so long. This isn't something that we've we've been working at very long.
Speaker 2: Yeah, Or are we just catching it earlier.
Speaker 1: I guess it's the point, you know, the cancers that we wouldn't see develop and maybe slow moving cancers that would develop over the course of a few years, we're catching so much sooner now, and therefore it seems like, Okay, we are getting maybe we always had it, but is there evidence that that's the case.
Speaker 3: That may be part of the case. The other thing is we are better at genetics, so we do scream, like you said. But the interesting thing the cancers that we see in these people who are under fifty tend to be much more aggressive than the cancers that we see and people who are over fifty.
Speaker 2: Oh wow, oh paradox is that it is a paradox.
Speaker 1: But as I looked at these numbers, what jumps off the page to me is there's like fourteen cancer types that were screened in the study that did. Eight of them are digestive based, right, So it's it's upper lower, GI, stomach, throat, esophagel, all that stuff. And does that tell you maybe it's nutrition, diet, that kind of thing.
Speaker 3: I think you're absolutely correct. I think it's our seventh a lifestyle and you know, we have a lot of obesity in this country, smoking, heavy alcohol, use a lot of processed foods. I think all those contribute to GI cancers.
Speaker 1: How much do you attribute this to the to the diet because smoking numbers have declined for a long time. But I look at that and go although I should say, before the diet thing, let's talk about smoking.
Speaker 2: Vaping is a thing. Now do you think there's a tie there? And now there's no.
Speaker 1: I don't know if there's any scientific data to back that up, but smoking vaping is there something there?
Speaker 3: I think vaping is definitely not good for you, and I think you're you. Also, it's the nail on the head again that diet. Our diet in the US is just not very good. We're a fast food country.
Speaker 1: Yeah, we still are, right despite an effort to try and need better. I know in my advanced stage that I am trying to do the best I can. Doesn't mean that I don't enjoy pizza or you know, burger and fries or something like that, but not not every day. And people hear that moderation, moderation, But physicians like yourself have been preaching that for a long time. Why do we tune that out?
Speaker 3: I think Americans tend to work longer hours than other countries. When you look at the number of hours the American worker works compared to other countries, I think our free time is left and I think we try to cram as much into a day as we can.
Speaker 1: I think that's an interesting analysis. I mean, if you've ever been overseas, for example, you go to Europe Italy, I've been to a few times, and it's just a whole different thing over the UK. Maybe pretty similar to us here, but you know, you go there, things shut down for a couple hours in the afternoon.
Speaker 2: You want a cup of coffee.
Speaker 1: If there's no drive through there, you got to sit down and enjoy your coffee, and you come back in a super chill and I think there's something to be said about that.
Speaker 3: I definitely think we're working ourselves into bad health.
Speaker 2: But we have for a long time.
Speaker 1: Maybe the generations figured out because you hear about, wow, the work ethic of these young people. They just want to go on vacation, and maybe there's maybe they're going to live longer as a result of that as opposed to what we were doing.
Speaker 3: Well, they may that's that's for sure. We tend not to exercise as much as other countries. I think that plays a huge role in it also.
Speaker 1: And I think the older you get, the more sedentary you are too. But you know, we're talking about cancer and young people. What is it specifically about our diet Western diet? Is it the saturated fad? Is the processed nature of foods? As a physician, doctor do I said, can you finger? Can you point the finger at any one thing? Or is it all those things?
Speaker 3: I think it's I think it's everything. I think high fat diet definitely plays into it. Processed foods play into it, high sugar content. You know, with we see processed foods and snacks, you're you're probably better off eating a carrot for a snack than the back of chips.
Speaker 2: Yeah, but between me and you, the chips are so much better.
Speaker 3: You know, particularly if you have French onion dip.
Speaker 2: It's hard to argue with with.
Speaker 3: Fresh onion dip and chips, I agree.
Speaker 2: Yeah, But it can't be every day.
Speaker 1: It has to be you know, I know people my age that are you're probably having a bag of chips a day, or a six pack of beer or twelve pack as the case may be. And I mean that's all well and good if you've don't plan on living long, But that's the unfortunate part of this thing. How much is alcohol use playing into this? Especially for people under the age of fifty are developing cancer.
Speaker 3: Heavy alcohol use, particularly as the sophageal cancer and the savageal cancer. Alcohol and smoking together is a very lethal combination. So we definitely see that not only that. You know, you get cerasus delivery, you get centripletal obesity. All those things contribute to poor health. But the key is what you said earlier, moderation moderation.
Speaker 1: Do you think that sleep deprivation, poor sleep quality factors into this too? And that you mentioned we're going and going and going all the time. Most of us are not getting as many hours as we need. Most I think the average American has lessened seven hours of sleep. Now is that a factor? Hear that your body doesn't have time to repair those hells?
Speaker 3: Well, again, you're corrected. I don't know if it has as much effect with cancer, but it certainly does with our overall health, not just that, but our mental health and risk of Alzheimer's. You know, when our brain just needs to decompress, just like an athlete's body needs to decompressed.
Speaker 1: It's like, because you know you work out, Let's say you lift weight, so we got to take a day off before you do anything else because you're sore and your muscles have to in order to grow your muscles, you have to rest. That's part of it. Another paradox here sounds like you're saying the same thing with this.
Speaker 3: Absolutely yeah, your brain needs to be worked, your brain needs to be relaxed, and finding that balance is very difficult.
Speaker 1: And we don't like that right the whole olm yoga right, take a calm time relaxation technique. I got an iPhone that nags me like a like a second wife about you know, stand up, sit down, do this, do that. It's like we just turned that stuff off and we just want to plow through it. And especially men, we just want to plow through that wall. We'll just keep going on we fall over.
Speaker 3: Oh, I agree. I have a bad habit of that. Also, I did hot yoga for a year or two prior of the pandemic, and I can tell you you want to talk about something that will let your brain decompress. It's unbelievable and I'm sorry they haven't gone back to it.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and I tried it actually before I back surgery years ago, and I just I can't do the yoga thing.
Speaker 2: It's too much of me. I can't spend that much time with myself.
Speaker 3: Doctor.
Speaker 1: Well, I'm not a fan. I'm not a fan of me. I'll be honest with you. I got, like, you know what, enough of this stuff I got me and with my voices in my head by myself, it's a it's not a good combination.
Speaker 2: I just I got to get away from me sometimes.
Speaker 3: But you know, you have to stay active. I always tell people, once you sit, you stay seated. And I'm sixty four and I ran the pig this past year. Good and you just have to keep doing that. If you're I should say age properly about that.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, I uh, well you're a you're a freak then, because I'm thinking man running it that uh. And I'm younger than you are. Although I still box, I might have to give that up because I got you know, ostri arthritis, and everything hurts now. But I'll find something else to do, uh, in order to keep active. And it's good for your brain, it's good for your body. We're talking to doctor Randy Drusick this morning. He's an ecologist. He's also a president of OHC cancer specialists all all over. The one here in Kenwood is fantastic, by the way, firsthand experience there. They are the cancer specialists in Cincinnati talking about a weird paradox here. We're getting better at finding and treating cancers, but we are seeing cancer developed earlier than ever before. Kate Middleton, Princess of Wales, Hamlin County Auditor, Bridget Kelly. There's Chadwick Boseman, of course, James Vanderbeek from Dawson's Creek who just died days ago.
Speaker 4: How much of this?
Speaker 5: You know?
Speaker 1: I mentioned the diet element of this thing too, and then I started thinking about you know, I just mentioned when I had surgery and I had seed iff and it's a gut back.
Speaker 5: You know.
Speaker 1: We don't think about our back here and our gut until things go really, really south.
Speaker 2: Is that also part of this too?
Speaker 1: We're eating the processed foods and alcohol and smoking and lack of exercise, probably over prescribed antibiotics and stuff like that have a factor in your gut health.
Speaker 2: How important is that? With cancer?
Speaker 3: Sure, your gut has natural bacteria in it, and if we disrupt that mail you you can have all kinds of problems. You can have an infection called clustered and different. Still, there are certain types of astro intestinal cancers that we know are related to Helico factor, So yes, there are, and you can actually treat those cancers by treating the Helico factors. So bacteria certainly can play a role, and so conviruses.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and so you're yeah, does HPV for women fit in this too?
Speaker 3: Yes, yeah, it definitely does. They plays a very big role in cervical cancer and now we're seeing it in some aill cancers also.
Speaker 1: Right right right, I think, and it all fits together that the the the bacteria in the gut, and it sounds kind of like new agy, but uh, you know, stuff like yogurt and kafir and anything like that that's a probiotic that you can consume is definitely gonna help help move the needle for you, especially if you maybe you are cutting corners when it comes to diet exercise.
Speaker 3: I agree, and I think we don't know exactly why, but it may have to do with what we call transit time. If you have a bowel movement every day, all the bad stuff gets out of your gut. If there's someone that has an every five or six day or what we would a lot of people would consider constipation, you're more exposed to those toxins in your gut, and there's a question whether that may increase your risk of these GI cancers.
Speaker 1: Is that metabolism though? Can you change that? But the way your body metabolizes.
Speaker 3: I think you can with with high fiber diets. I think there's a lot of things you can do to increase increase your time.
Speaker 1: More veggie and more exercise. And it makes stuff, uh, it makes stuff move three If that makes sense, I mean if it hangs around, it takes a chance to you know, essentially just sit there. And there's a reason why your body's getting rid of it. I guess that makes sense. You can take the garbage outlet's put that way. Why not be too too messy here? Yeah, And we're seeing this alarming trend. Now, how concerned are you as a as a oncologist doctor drawsick that we're seeing these numbers and people getting cancer earlier and earlier than ever before.
Speaker 2: How bad is it really?
Speaker 3: From your perspective, it's devastating because the cancers are much worse. If you take a colon cancer and a forty year old for colon cancer and a seventy year old, the prognosis is much worse. The stage tends to be picked up a little bit later, you know, because we don't really screen for colon cancer unless you have a non genetic risk until you're forty five. So you take a thirty five year old, it's not expected. You're not screening. It tends to be later, tends to be more aggressive, they don't respond as well as treatment, and some of the markers of this tend to be the genetic markers, both from the family genetics and the genetics. The tumor tend to be different and.
Speaker 2: It's just some more aggressive therefore harder to treat.
Speaker 3: Absolutely.
Speaker 1: Yeah, when it comes to cancers that you see, which is the I guess you know, we talk about lymphatic cancer, which my mom had, but there's you know, there's a host of ones that are like that. We just have the treatment for that. The ones that you're seeing that are just not survivable or we're not there yet as first treatment goes.
Speaker 3: Or what I think the young, well, I think We've made headway in every cancer and I'm an optimist because I'm an oncologist, but I think if the ones that I see that I find to be devastating is our younger patients with colon cancer and one that's it's on the rise one to two percent per year, they don't respond quite as well, and to me, that is a very heartbreaking when you see it.
Speaker 1: Yeah, we're seeing a rise in colorectal cancer, which is normally something you would see in middle age or beyond, and now we're seeing in patients, as you said, as young as forty and certainly under fifty.
Speaker 3: Now that's yeah, that's exactly correct.
Speaker 2: That's horrible.
Speaker 1: I saw something else too recently, and it's called the birth cohort effect, in that each group of people born at a later time, let's say ten years apart, had a higher risk of delphing cancer and life. We're seeing that trend now that it should be going the other way, but it's the exact opposite.
Speaker 3: Yeah, that's alarming. In our survival rates for some of these cancers, particularly like breast cancer, have gotten better, and I think some of that's due to early detection, but you do wonder whether this curve is going to slide back the other way now that we're seeing it in younger people.
Speaker 1: Well, I mean prostate cancer for example. Right now we're not doing the you know, post COVID, not doing the exam anymore, thank god. And it's blood works, it's a fecal study, stuff like that. So I mean that technology is amazing.
Speaker 3: Yes it is. And one thing is when you're brought about COVID. We have a thing here at OAC and we tried to preach this to the hospital. Cancer is not going to stop because there's a virus and a pandemic. Don't stop your screening, don't stop your mammograms, don't stop your colonostrophies, don't stop your your yearly cascans of the chest for smokers because there's a pandemic. Because this is going to catch up to us later when they're diagnosed. These patients are diagnosed at a later stage.
Speaker 1: Yeah, No one likes to go and have that prostrate screening if you're a guy, or have your colonoscopy done to check. But you know, I've known people before that have said, man, I wish I would have because they're they're now gone and they died way too young because they never did that that work, and it's uncomfortable.
Speaker 2: Who likes to go and.
Speaker 1: And I'm sure it's not pleasant for the physician either, but it's something you have to go and do and it's it's not it's uncomfortable and no one likes to do it, but the end result is catastrophic because you're living, your family and a lot of life left.
Speaker 2: Again, it's doctor Andy Drossick. He is the president.
Speaker 1: He's an oncologist at o HC Cancer Specialists and Columbus and ken Wooden across the state as well. Doctor Drusik, thanks so much for taking time out and you're really busy, but appreciate the information this morning.
Speaker 3: And thank you for having me.
Speaker 1: Yeah, certainly the best awareness campaign we have for this are young people getting cancer and dying. And I don't think you'll mentally we put it together because James Vanderbeek I mentioned, just died at what forty eight, And there's a pretty consistent pattern of people under the age of fifty getting and dying from cancers because you don't expect. There was a nineteen year old, nineteen year old Miranda McKeon, I think her name was and with a ny she's an actress, had stage three breast cancer and that's that's extremely young, right twenty two. Lea died at twenty two Dustin Diamond members saved by the bell. I think he was in his early forties from carsonoma. And it just it's a steady drug me to this. We just wanted to go, wow, there's there's a trend going on here. When you do that, though, you're you're surprised, I think, and if you're younger, you also think that we all were at some point infallible that we can eat and drink and do whatever we want.
Speaker 2: We're good.
Speaker 1: Well apparently not because whatever it is and somewhere in our environment and maybe also in our DNA, we don't know these things are coming together with catstrok results.
Speaker 2: You know, when you see.
Speaker 1: The cancer rates go up eighty percent over the last forty years, there's certainly something in the water and in the food and maybe within us as well. So you know, the best thing you can do is go get those screenings. At a time as we debate healthcare and I'm gonna look at Congress shutting down again and certainly not for health care, but you know, the one before this was that people are pinching pennies and going lo I really can't afford this. And if you don't have health care, you're not going to go get the screenings, and you may wind up becoming a casualty, becoming a statistic I think the healthcare system is somewhat negligent in this as well too. Yeah, we got to engage in care. And if you're fortunate to have the care, you still have to go. I know people who have insurance don't go to the doctor and all the less they're sick. That's a mistake. Especially used to be like over the age of forty you got to go once a year at least. Hell now it seems like at twenty you should be going once or twice a year, if indeed you have the insurance, which is another big part of the problem. Let me do a news update here. We still have pretty heavy pockets of a fog. We'll find out when that burns off. And no more Scott'sland on this President's Day twenty twenty six, seven hundred ww sure fog yee had them fog lights on today?
Speaker 2: They pay dividends. May I got the snow meltain.
Speaker 1: You got the ground saturation, you get the warmer temperatures, and uh, you know when you get up to it's thirty six already, we're going up to what fifty five today roughly, and it's a nice day, and certainly it looks like we're not going to see freezing temperatures. I may save at night, obviously, but during the day for a long long time, hopefully not till next year or at least the fall. Anyway, Scott flowing here seven hundred ww on this President's Day, twenty twenty six, I don't know. I had a lot of people had the day off. I you know, people here have the day off. I decided it works himply because I maybe it's a internal protests against our government, right, they've shut government down. But now, okay, now we've got to go out a little vacation. We need a break. We've been we've been so busy not doing anything we need. Do you know how exhausting getting paid not to do your job is. It's so tiring. We need a sabbatical. We need a reset, all right. You can't really make you can't make this stuff your early laugh or cry you laugh or cry One of the fascinatings coming out and maybe there is hope at this point with Savannah Gus Guthrie's mom Nancy, now in its second week, is they found a black glove on I think Friday. So if you watch it, and I'm sure you've seen the camera video, which we'll get to in a second, but you saw someone who's clearly wearing a a latex or a vinyl glove on their hand, and about a mile and a half away. And here's how exhaustive the search is. About on a road a mile and a half away from the house, they found on thee to her road, hanging off of looked like a little tiny kectus a black vinyl glove and they recovered that and found d n A evidence and it appears to match the gloves of the subject and the surveillance video and so we don't know if it's actually that it's you know, could have been in the trash.
Speaker 2: We don't know.
Speaker 1: I mean that mile and a half away is pretty good, and it feels like, Wow, they're leaving no stone unturned. But now we're in our second week and Savannah Guthrie has released he had another video and that poor woman is just absolutely I feel so bad for her in the family obviously, I think we all do. But you just see the anguish on her face, like she seems like a real good person and that's everyone who's around her says that. But she's not contemplating maybe never returning to work to the day show because she feels responsible to some degree for her mom's dis appearance, because, as typical when it comes to morning shows, and in this case Network morning shows, she used her mom for material. You know, her mom became featured several times on the show. At one point they actually had a meal inside her house. They saw the inside of her home in Tucson. And now she's gone. And this poor woman is just beside herself, beating herself up that she essentially caused the disappearance of her mom and maybe the death or I mean, can you imagine. It's just it's so heartbreaking. You kind of want to tell her, Look, it's not your fault. You did the best you think you could do. You know, you just don't you don't think there's sick and twisted people in the world, and clearly they are. And so now FBI continues their search. The scary part about this for me is you think about this. Okay, we're not in our second week. Something is going to happen this week that has nothing to do with the Nancy Guthrie case. And as Savannah Guthrie knows, and that's why maybe she's releasing more videos, it will start to fade from the public conscience. This is the this is the week where something in the news will happen. Something will happen in the next couple of weeks, and this will become second page news because we only as consumers, as meeting consumers, only have the conscience. We only have the ability to really balance one big story at a time. And that's pretty common. It's always been that way. And Savannah Guthrie knows this that something's going to occur to overthrow this in the news cycle, to take over, and this will become a bottom line story. And if that's the case, then what happens is you don't have as many people engage in the story, and therefore the chances of finding the person responsible, person's responsible diminishes because no one's paying attention to anymore. It'll become one of those she's still missing. It'll just kind of fade away, which is it's horrible, it's sad, and I feel badly for them, but it's just the way it's always worked. And I think Samana Guthrie is smart. She knows this, and so as soon as a big story comes out in the news, that's it. And even you know, I'm sure NBC will continue to follow this the Today Show because it's on to their own, but you know, other news agencies and I think just when it comes to social media and like we'll move on sadly. It's just kind of how we are. I think it's all sime. We have somebody on maybe tomorrow Wednesday. Regarding the cameras themselves. So in America we all have you know, we have more cameras who know what to do with you may be I'm not using that stuff at all. I mean that may be you, but you still have stuff with cameras on them. And in that relationship, are you concerned more about security or the surveillance date? And because I don't think you can really balance them both, I think you got to make a decision. So something like one in five homes in America now have a video door belt, there's nests, there's ring, and they made big newsies past weeks Nancy Guthrie case and that Kesh Pattel came out and said, well, yeah, she didn't pay for the count and they let the subscription laps because it goes to the cloud. You pay that there's residual data located in back end systems. I have no idea what that statement meant other than the fact that we'll hold on just a second. Even though you're not subscribing, it's still recording and uploading to the cloud. Is that what you're saying. And then to unlock that material you need you need to pay the subscription, which a lot of people go, what am I paying this for? Well, if you think about it, there's what twenty million households that have these things. That's a lot of disk space and you got to pay for your storage.
Speaker 2: That's what it is.
Speaker 1: And the people to monitor this stuff and they got to make a profit. That's where these subscription fees goes. It's out there in the ether. I'm a cloud somewhere and when you hear this, you go, wow, that may help catch the killer or you go, whoa on just a second, am I always under surveillance and the question is yes. So the super Bowl ad came out and you may recall her, maybe not the one that Ring did, and initially in your drunken super Bowl state and maybe drunk from alcohol, but probably from food, your food drunk. You watch that ad and want, oh, that's pretty cool. My dog is missing. And the Ring cameras create this network. So everyone who has the Ring branded camera uses some of your band with them and your WiFi to share the data and information. And so now we have facial recognition technology. The same company that developed license plates or readers for police departments and facial recognition technology for airports and public places. You can now get that as predicted. Now get that in your home product and your Ring door belt, and so we can see your Hey, there's your dog.
Speaker 2: Your dog's missing.
Speaker 1: You upload a couple of photos your dog, and the flock system, the proprietary software, is able to create a facial recognition thumbprint of the dog and go, hey, there's a okay, is it an Irish setter? Is it the Dashian? What do you got? A mutt with a curly tail, no tail, whatever it might be, And they are able to go, oh, it's a few blocks over we got to hit on this house up the street. That's where your dog might be. Go check that neighbor, Go check that street, which is watch anyone? Oh, that's really cool. I have a dog. I've dog, maybe McCAT I might have a And then enough people want hold on just a second. If you can do that with a dog, you certainly can do that with someone's face. And we actually have had that technology for some time. I know there's like my cue, which I think is a Chamberlain product. Garage door openers has that feature on it that you can activate it and if someone comes to your camera in front of your camera near your garage door maybe I don't knowin the Amazon guy whatever it is, they will recognize that person's face going oh hey, or maybe you're you know, maybe a relative came over. You know, cousin Bob was dropping by, and you got his face in there, you would tag You'd look at the video and go, okay, that's cousin Bob, and then you'd put that in there and the software would go, okay, every time we see this face, the attachment is cousin Bob. It lets you know cousin Bob was stopping by your house or grandm or grandpa, mom, dad, kids, whomever, which I think is pretty cool. And the same way now, I mean even ring an extension of that is it recognizes if there's a package at your front door. Now, so it doesn't say hey, motion at the front door goes, oh, a package has been dropped to your front door, because it sees a person carrying a box or a package and then they set it down and now there's something in that view that wasn't there before and they just go, oh, it's package. So we still have that technology out there, just they've backed off the advertising from saying that it is a something that's going to recognize a human face and that's that's what this is. And so as someone who's invested this to myself in these systems, and I had to make a conscious effort on going okay, am I worried about surveillance or am I worried about security? And I think you come a point in time, and this may be a paradox here because the older you get, the more distrustful and paranoid you become. I don't want to say that, you know, you get older, you're paranoid. That's probably a bad choice of words. You know, I'm saying you tend to be a little more guarded, like things are changing around you so much, like I'm not sure about all this stuff, you know, and you consume news and the world's a dangerous place, YadA, YadA. Even though it's a much much safer world today than it was yesterday, it doesn't seem that way. But you know, you go back to the wild wild West, you go back to the nineteen hundred, nineteen fifties, it was much more dangerous society then. Now you hear more about the instances of disappearances, and you know, people killing each other and certainly some the homicide rates, and like, yeah, I get that, but yeah, as far as overall safety goes, and that's a whole bunch of different things besides someone who's a predator factoring, and so the world's pretty safe place from food and water supplies and national security and everything else. But you know, we're in a data relas messages all the time, so we have a sense of paranoid. And the older you get because things change and you yearn for the long the good old days, and the good days really weren't all that good. History tends to kind of wash out the bad things, you remember the good things. That's just how we're wired as human beings. But at my age now I look at it and go, you know what, I Oh, Okay, if I were younger, going I don't what's going to something could happen in my life, and I like, I don't. I'm I know I'm not going to become a criminal. At this age, I look at that and going, yeah, I'm I're going to be a those are a high profile criminal. I would have probably done that in my twenties, thirties, maybe forties, but by then you're like, I'm tired, I'm older. I just said it's gonna go through the motions of life. So now with the boy in my life going, yeah, I'm more worried about security than I am about big Brother coming to get me, because up to this point, I've done nothing in my life remarkably remarkable enough to warrant the attention of federal or local or state authorities. At this point in my life like yeah, security for me, So put the camera's up. But then the cloud, I got this that you you know, and I like to see what's going on. Plus my wife, God bless her. I love her to death, but she is a nosy cuss. She Now she's she needs to know what's happening in the neighborhood. So if she needs to see something, she can pull up with a camera. Oh okay, I see what's going on. They're getting a pizza over there. That's a third night this week. All right, all right, get a hobby. You need to monitor with the neighbors at door dashing down the street. But it's interesting too that we allow this stuff, and it's just it's mission creep that you know, it wasn't long ago within our lifetimes, Like a camera was a big deal. You know, who had cameras. The TV stations had cameras, and the police, like they didn't have cameras, they didn't have body cameras, they'd have dashboard cameras, they have all this stuff. Like a camera was like, well, that's high technology right there. I'd imagine. I went around, But like in sixty nine when Armstrong they've got a camera that they've got tied in so you get live shots of the moon. I was like, what what.
Speaker 6: Can you imagine?
Speaker 7: What that was?
Speaker 4: Was?
Speaker 1: Was th in nineteen sixty nine, were like the astronauts are on the moon and they've got a camera and they're showing you live shots of the moon.
Speaker 2: That's crazy, and it used to be film.
Speaker 3: Now.
Speaker 1: The legendary Chick Poppy just passed away from Channel nine by the way, who uh literally one of the best photo journalists probably in the country, but happened to be here in Cincinnati, just passed away, I think at eighty two. And the stuff that he shot was remarkable. But that you know, he worked at a time too, even before videotape, where you you'd shoot the news and then you'd have to rush back to the station and have the film developed and you cross your fingers you got what you needed. And then in the late sixties early seventies, like the advent of videotape and live shots came along with these big giant things. If you watched I have some historical stuff from like a political conventions, Dan rathers on the floor of the sixty eight convention.
Speaker 2: There's a guy behind him as.
Speaker 1: His giant backpack on and that was the battery in the consolea They could, you know, have a live shot without a warrior, which was remarkable back then and it lasted for like four minutes because the battery technology wasn't good. You fast forward to today and we just take it for granted with cameras. You know, our TVs have cameras on them, or to what we're watching. Has a TV has a camera on it? Your computer monitor has a camera on it, your phone, you take that everywhere. You forget there's a camera on there, and we just, oh, I'm getting a cell phone, I'm getting in a sealphane. You know, I don't look that, suck your chinks on it. I'm gonna put a filter on this. We're doing stuff that you know, thirty forty years ago unheard of. Ten years ago is unheard of. And now it's just the cameras are so ingrained in our life, in our society that we just forget they're there and what they can do. And you know, when you do that, when they become omnipresent and they're just they're part of our lives, we just don't think about them because they're all over the place. We have devices that are connected to the Internet.
Speaker 2: I did that. You have a refrigerator that took to the internet.
Speaker 1: A dishwak we have a dishwasher, can hook it up to the wife, why do I need my dishwasher and a Wi Fi for I will say that the washer dry with a Wi Fi. That's pretty cool because it tells you when your draws are done. Little thing will pop up, go, hey, your draws clean, and that reminds you, Oh, yeah, don't forget it because I'll turn stinky. You got to put them in the dry or dryer draws off. So yeah, your draw is done. There you go. That's pretty cool. Oh you left the garage door open. Oh, it's a garage op. I'm going to look at this camera right here. I think it's pretty cool. But I'm also cautious and measured and making sure that things are secure as secure as as possible. I would contend if you really really want to, and maybe this is the case of Nancy Guthrie too, is that if you all want to target someone and get so you know, a particular individual, household or business, whatever, you know, you can you can monitor them and get on their their Wi Fi.
Speaker 2: You can see what they have in there.
Speaker 1: If you're really really good at this or no, someone is, if you wanted to infiltrate them, you can do that. You know, it tends to be the weakest passwords of the people who wind up being compromised, and especially in urban centers where there's a lot of I don't know, apartments or condos around and you could just pull it up and take a look at it as opposed to driving house to house. So but if you wanted to target one person, you certainly could do that. That may have very well been the case with Nancy Guthrie, but we have just it's become so ingrained like anything society. We just now it's boiling the frog. That analogy. If you want to put a frog in a pot of boiling water, the frogle jump out, but if you try to heat up slowly, but the frog and there doesn't know any better that we're all frogs in that regard, are we? And you wonder where this is all going in the future. And I think that's the fascinating part about it. That's today And they way, oh, okay, well it's too much with the facial recognition. But you know what it'll happen is at some point there'll be a high profan and maybe I don't think it's gonna be Nancy Guthrie, but now people go, you know what, that's a feature that I really want. I want to be able to find my dog. I want to be able to identify that person in front of my house. And I think enough people will throw as I did, they wait and go security versus big Brother surveillance. You know, you're always gonna have those two parties. And there's plenty of people who absolutely want no part of it. You know, won't even have people out there, won't have a cell phone because they're worried about surveillance. But the minute you walk out of your house, the minute you will go outside those doors of your home, you're being recorded. Which even makes this Nancy Guthrie disappearance even more confounding, is that there's so many cameras up all over the place at all times, in the ease and way which law enforcement can seamlessly put all those things together to find out who done it. You feel like at some point, any day, now, any minute, they're going to announce an act arrests because they have enough information to go with. And yet here it is two weeks and now we're in danger of the story falling off the face of the news, and you wonder what that means. At some point somebody's gonna get captured. It's almost too damn hard for them not to at this point, I guess. So anyway, either you're on the prosecurity side or the big brother side, just so I don't think you can go well, yeah, it's a kind of blend to both worlds. It seems like an issue that's in an era of in a day of everything's gray with a big gray.
Speaker 2: Area out there. It seems like a black and white thing.
Speaker 1: Like once you dip your toe, you're pretty much once you go, yeah, I want a camera monitoring my front door, and then you go, well, what about the back door? What about the side? Or what about my garage? What about It's just it's just a you know, modern society we all got. We're all going to have to make that choice at some point, I suppose, so if either word about security or surveillance, but you can't have both anyway. We've got to get a news update in. I've rambled long enough on this President's Day. Coming up next, actually coming up tomorrow, it is Marty gro twenty twenty six at the Northern Kentucky Convention Center. Once again, I will be King of Marty Grau with my Queen Sheila Gray from Local twelve, who will join us next on the show to talk about that event. I'm going to ask her about the Nancy Guthrie thing. She's in the public eye and how does she look at that as someone on TV and you know, all about her life. I wonder if that's something that most people in her profession, or even my profession for the Matta look at and go, wow, that's pretty scary. Could that happen to me anyway? Sheila jump Shishi, my girl, Sheisha, I've known Chieshi for years. My good friend Sheila Grell joined the show next afternows on seven hundred W.
Speaker 2: Well Dowdy Cincinnati, don't want.
Speaker 1: To be an American idio Scott fluon show here.
Speaker 2: This is seven hundred WLW.
Speaker 1: Welcome to it. On this Monday morning, President's Day, twenty twenty six. I am not the only person in media that's working today. I just saw my dear friend Sheila Gray from Local twelve wrap up the morning show over there with her Zog and everyone else. Good morning, she she how are you dear?
Speaker 4: Good morning, my king? How are you?
Speaker 1: I'm well? My queen Tomorrow a martographer, homeless kids, twenty twenty six, Northern Kentucky Convention Center. Five point thirty, the VIP action begins, and then six thirty all the dominions file in and there's food, and there's drink, and there's revel where we have a good time. People throw bread. Sheila's up there with her infectious smile atop the giant rolling painters truck aka the float she got the painter's right, it's fantastic. It's a beautiful time.
Speaker 7: They were in here last week and I said, who came up with that idea of this crazy float traveling around the inside of a convention center.
Speaker 4: I think it was Gordy Snyder.
Speaker 7: But it's the thirty five year that they've been doing this, more than three million dollars raised.
Speaker 4: It's incredible. Yeah, you get a lot of laughs and then you do something good all at the same time.
Speaker 1: Yeah, one of these days, you know, you thirty five years old. That's how old that that that the thing is they move us around on. Yeah, take a paint Every year. There's a couple more screws loose, kind of like the rest of us here, And I just wonder one of these that we just fall into the buffet table of we're just covered in ham and cheese and uh, I have ways. Yeah, they're probably why we drowned, drowned in the vat at cheese.
Speaker 8: Uh.
Speaker 1: Of course, the Joe Burrow Foundation in uh in Fort I'm sorry, Mercedes Ben's of Fort Mitchell, along with Jeff Ruby Foundation are our sponsor. We have three big sponsors this year, which means more money for the kids, which is wonderful.
Speaker 4: I know, it's incredible.
Speaker 7: And don't forget our friends at Jeff Wyler they are always really incredible too. But I'm so glad that we have these so many more backers behind us because we can do so many more things. We can provide so many more meals for Welcome House, Brighton Center and Bethany House Services because you know, the need is greater than it's been in a long time, with inflation and rising costs and things like that. Uh, people need a lot of help and we're able to provide it with this. It's really gratifying.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 1: So this raises enough money to provide well over one hundred and fifty thousand meals a year to those three organizations. You mention your children to need and so they get a they get a solid meal once a day for an entire year, and and it always seems kind of like it seems weird that we're going to go eat and stuff ourselves for kids who don't enough to eat and drink, and but you know what, it works out, and the kids are the benefactors in the agencies there as well. So I always loved one of my favorite events of the year.
Speaker 7: Mine too, And I feel like I always see tons of my friends and neighbors there. You're always going to run into people you know and have a really good time. And DV eight is playing music this this year. The Silent Auction is already live if you wanted to go check that out and Marty grot nky dot org and check out some of the really cool stuff.
Speaker 4: There's of course some.
Speaker 7: Joe Burrow stuff in there, of course, begles and red gear and lots of really good bourbon baskets and things like that.
Speaker 4: So that's the fun part of it too.
Speaker 1: One of the big auctions from the Joe Burrow Foundation is the dinner, so they're gonna auction out dinner with Joe Burrow's parents that they are.
Speaker 4: The nicest people. I didn't really like that no.
Speaker 7: They I'm so glad that they're gonna be gonna be there and be part of this because they they are so nice. I feel like they're the the the people who keep Joe grounded, keep him like a normal guy.
Speaker 1: You know. Yeah, yeah, yeah, there's there's sweet people and I I just heard that. I didn't know that was gonna be the big auction thing was dinner with them. I'm not sure if it's their house are going to take out the restaurant could be Skyline.
Speaker 2: I don't know.
Speaker 1: But the guy that I tell you there's one person in this town that you're gonna have a tough person out bidding because he's got serious, serious national broadcast money. That would be the afore mentioned Tom Brunneman. Tom Brenneman said, I'm gonna bid fast soon and often. I will outbid anyone in that room. And a chance to have dinner with the with the Boroughs, he will.
Speaker 4: Don't you think they would just go out to dinner with Tommy.
Speaker 1: No one really wants to hang out with tom. You gotta gotta pay, he said, I'm going to be He said, he's going to start the bidding. He's starting the bidding himself at ten thousand dollars.
Speaker 2: How about that.
Speaker 4: That's awesome.
Speaker 2: Good for Tom.
Speaker 7: You're really going to make You're really going to be there, and you're not going to stand me up this year like he did.
Speaker 1: I got sick as a dog last year. I don't know what hit me, Sheila. You did not want to be around me. Believe me. I think it was but I get the flu shot. I don't know. As I recall, I was sick as a dog, and I was very sad to have to call and go, oh my god, I.
Speaker 4: Can't make it.
Speaker 2: I will be here this year. I know it's very sack.
Speaker 1: It's very sad, but I will be unless maybe it's brewing inside me again right now. I don't know, Sheila, but I will come. Yeah. I don't care how sick I am. You know what if I projectile vomit on you, I'm sorry. I'll apologize. I had. Yeah, yeah, that's not that's not beads. He's thrown at the crowd. You you got to bring this down your outfit.
Speaker 4: Do you have a special outfit?
Speaker 2: No, because we have to wear the what is it the cape and the crown?
Speaker 5: Yes?
Speaker 1: Yeah, so you don't really.
Speaker 4: Need it, but part of the time you're not wearing it. Have something?
Speaker 2: What are you wearing? Did you go get an outfit? You go to Nordstrom?
Speaker 7: I did not, but I found a cute purple top. Cute your purple Marty you off?
Speaker 4: You know.
Speaker 7: Yeah, I'm not going to be like Sarah Leice. She'll have a ball down the.
Speaker 2: Oh my god, it's ridiculous.
Speaker 4: That will always I always.
Speaker 7: I just like have so she has like fashion goals, like that is the goal that women want.
Speaker 1: To She Actually she has took today off just so she could. She started doing makeup this morning.
Speaker 4: That's pretty funny.
Speaker 1: It's pretty true that. It's very true, very very very very true. Actually, I'm wearing a wear it.
Speaker 2: I'm wearing a T shirt with your face on it.
Speaker 1: How's that? Oh that'd be cool.
Speaker 4: I would love that. Sign it for you?
Speaker 2: Will you a?
Speaker 1: Sheila Grays here from Local twelve. She is my queen Marty Grat tomorrow for It's Homeless Kids northn Kentucky Convention Center, which is always a wonderful thing. I do believe we do have some tickets left. Marty Grot twenty twenty six dot org. If you happen to be in your Bethany House or Brighton Center or Welcome House or Mercedes Benz a Fort Mitchell. You can buy a ticket, a actual ticket there and come. It's like one hundred bucks VIPs a little bit more, but it starts at five thirty. An extra hour of eating and drinking, so you can have the big piece of chicken if that's what you want to do. But it all goes to get one hundred fifty thousand meals a year to kids in need here in the Cincinnati area. You mentioned DV eight. Have you ever seen DV eight before?
Speaker 4: I don't think so.
Speaker 1: Well, you don't. You don't stay past five, so that's a problem because you get up into a godly hour.
Speaker 2: It's ridiculous.
Speaker 4: It's a huge issue.
Speaker 7: I miss a lot of entertaining things, going to bed as earliest.
Speaker 9: I really somedays is free with your tickets. Oh yeah, parking is free. I mentioned DV one of my most besties on Melissa Reed, who's just a lovely person, lead singer, one of the most talented, gifted vocalists.
Speaker 1: I think it's Cincinnati. I have seen them over the years many many times. That is that's a blast. They're absolutely great, what a great show that's going to be. You mentioned the free parking across the street as well. You can get the valet, the bougie valet with the VIP that's really really nice. And the nice part about it hill is by ten o'clock it's it's over and you go back and now you can take the next the day off and there's the Embassy Streets right across the street if you want to. Maybe you messed up Valentine's Day or forgot, this is a good Valentine's Day present.
Speaker 7: It's an absolutely it's a great present, or you know, just an ash Wednesday present now I'm just kidding. Wow. But the other great thing about it is if you don't have like Marty Gras beads and things like that, tell them there. Yeah, so you're all taken care of. You just and you can even buy your ticket at the door. If you don't have time to get over to one of the spots that we're helping to buy your tickets, you can take them up here.
Speaker 1: Yeah, which is nice. So there's also a million auction items there too, and you lose your mind with all the cool stuff that they have mentioned. The Robin Joe Burrow, the the Dinner with the Burrows. But also I think aren't they are they doing it again this year where they auction off and you will rub someone's feet? Is that what? Well, that's where like a foot massage, Shila Graham foot massage.
Speaker 4: That is not I have not signed off on.
Speaker 2: Why don't you put yourself out there a little bit?
Speaker 4: Huh?
Speaker 2: You should do something for the kids.
Speaker 7: That would be the kind of thing that would be on that would be on the internet forever.
Speaker 4: You'd never get rid of it.
Speaker 1: She'll why would you say that? That's dumb? Sheillot doesn't their feet are gross? You? Yeah, she comes to your house and gives you a foot massage.
Speaker 2: How's that?
Speaker 1: No? Not, No, I'll do anything for the kids, but I'm not doing that.
Speaker 2: All right. We will be in the uh so right next to the door.
Speaker 1: You and I will be there. We do pictures in the in the King and Queen Garb too as well. And I think John John is our gesture, perfect gesture, because that guy love to get dressed up like a He dresses up like those He really does, doesn't he?
Speaker 4: Yes, it's like a little.
Speaker 1: Kid with that stuff. He's got spider man, he's aid the of course Elf. He starts dressing the Elf costume right after Thanksgiving. It doesn't He's still wearing it as a matter of fact. That's pretty tired. Now he's got a Gester outfit for tomorrow night.
Speaker 2: What should be funny.
Speaker 4: Yep, it will be funny. I hope it has tights.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, yeah, he needs Steen's investors and maybe some new tights there.
Speaker 2: Talk about the food really quick, the food and dress.
Speaker 7: We had people in here from Governor's house the other day and they're making this short rib with mushroom of zoto that will just set you free.
Speaker 4: You also have Kingcakes there, you have.
Speaker 7: Oriental Walk will be there with Chinese food, and tomorrow's Lunar New Year, you'll have New Orleans style food. Just so many restaurants from both sides of the river come over there. And don't forget all the different bourbons and beers and wines, all kinds of spirits. It's really really fun.
Speaker 1: Yeah, there's more than you can drink and eat there. So you know, they have little samples and you try it and you're like, well, I lot some more of that and don't fill up on the first station there's the there's the advice for you.
Speaker 4: That's right, pace yourself, Pace.
Speaker 1: Yourself, go around the room at least twice, and then it's kind of like going to taste the Cincinnati. You go around and you strategic go oh yeah that that that that, and then you go back and you hit them. You got to you absolutely have to scout. There's some advanced scouting going on.
Speaker 7: I think there's fifty different restaurants and distilleries and things this year, or fifty five.
Speaker 1: You mentioned it lunar. Yeah, I mean right. It's all the food and all the drink for one ticket. So I would say this is like the best Valentine's Day gift you can get because you're helping, you know, it's a good cause and that makes your heart happy. But also the food and drink, it's it's fantastic. And it's a Tuesday night and you can't get too crazy on a Tuesday night. It's perfect, right, yeah, absolutely perfect.
Speaker 4: That's good.
Speaker 1: You mentioned it's a lunar New Year. Is that is that Chinese New Year?
Speaker 7: Yeah, it's Chinese New Year, and uh it's going to be the Year of the Horse, the Year of the Horse. Tomorrow night, I don't know how often Lunar New Year and Fat Tuesday.
Speaker 4: Co inside like that. I think that's kind of cool neither.
Speaker 1: But yeah, okay, so I gotta you gotta remember now it's still you're the horse, because Sheila, don't keep writing the year of the Cat on your checks. You got it. That's the worst part about the Lunar New Year's I keep writing, I keep putting here the snake on my check. I got to cross it out. It's terrible, It's absolutely terrible. I thought you on your chest, on my chest. You're still thinking about foot rubs. She she's foot rubs. She's gonna put a booth though I've got them. I got Shila flustered lust Her face face now mashes the cutar. Her hair, it's all red. She's all red, looks like a big sunburn. And I apologize in advance because I know you're gonna you're like, you're the nicest person in the world that you're gonna get pelted with stale bread.
Speaker 2: I'm sorry in advance.
Speaker 7: It happened last year, and you weren't even there to take it and protect me.
Speaker 1: A drill. Sheila got her nose broken. She she was off our for three weeks.
Speaker 7: I know hopefully they'll have like a plastic surgery basket just the case.
Speaker 2: Yeah right, exactly.
Speaker 7: Yeah.
Speaker 1: And the thing is I have nothing to do with So McConnell started this years ago where his his drunk buddies would show up at Marty Grot. Uh and and there's a there's a Clossman bread stand there and all they all they give you out is bread, just rolls, and I don't know if they have butter.
Speaker 2: I think it's just dry bread.
Speaker 1: And uh yeah, yeah, it's last year's and they tag it and go, here's some bread. And his buddies were like just started tossing bread at him, and then it became hurling bread. And now that I've been doing this where well we've been doing this for like style last ten years, it's the trend is continue where Mike will show up and throw bread at us. And we had Austin Almore and Tony Pike and we were getting absolutely raked over the a couple of years ago. Uh and maybe subconscoence. That's why I got sick last year. I can't I can't handle the bread, the bread attacks anymore. It's unprecedented. Yeah, chick and I don't want to get in that and tholes, you got thirty five roles.
Speaker 2: Coming at you at one time.
Speaker 4: You didn't show up before school for the fight.
Speaker 1: Uh yeah, I got a test today. Mom, I'm sick, but I'm sick going to school, so watch out for flying watch out for flying flying bread. So yeah, it'll be It's a fantastic time. And of course this benefits, this benefits of the homeless agencies in town, Brighton Center, Welcome House, Bething House for Kids. I want to can I take it serious for a second here and totally Martin grad late because I was thinking about this before you came home today. I was just talking about the Nancy Guthrie case, which of course is it's just horrible watching Savannah Guthrie. Uh and just how how mostly broken to the point where I don't know if you saw this, but she's not considering maybe never turning to the Today Show because I've heard that because she feels that she's responsible for putting her mom on camera. And I thought, you know, I'm talking to my girl, Sheila. Not that you've done that before, but you know you Today's Today's TV Mornings. Basically, if you go back in the day to the you know, radio morning shows kind of like best friend waking up to you.
Speaker 2: Guys, and TV have taken that over.
Speaker 1: It's been that way for a long time, and so you guys open up your you know, you you come across as friendly and open, and people feel they know you. You see what happened with her? Does that concern you? Does that like something you now thought about after this happened?
Speaker 7: You know what I thought about it before this happened, because I get concerned about people putting like every stage of their kids faces and lives online, you know.
Speaker 4: And I'm not judging.
Speaker 7: I mean, everybody can do what they want to do, but I'm kind of careful with like just what I post about my family and I you know, what Savannah got. I would hate for her to think that she's somehow responsible for this.
Speaker 4: She's not bad.
Speaker 7: People do bad things and she is in no way responsible for that. But I can totally understand why she would maybe want to take a step back from from this, you know, being in the spotlight, after after what she's been through, you know. And I'm hoping, against hope that they find her mom and she'll be all right and she can go and spend time with her mom and take a step back that way. But I think I think the way with just the way the world is right now, I think everybody should be concerned with how much we put out there in public, even whether you're on TV or you're not.
Speaker 4: I mean, you're talking about influencers and people.
Speaker 7: You don't know what's gonna make somebody decide that they like the way you look or somebody in your family looks, and you can because anybody can be a target. Unfortunately, that's one of the dangers of social media and just how public everything is now.
Speaker 1: I kind of get where she's coming from. She's like, well, I put my mom on. I kind of made her, you know, a mini celebrity. We had that they shot a something at her house, I guess in Tucson, and so some people can see the inside of her house and thinking that, well, you know, it's good for ratings, and it's also you know, it's that side of me and the personal interesting. And and now she's second guessing that whole thing, like she had something to do with this.
Speaker 2: Oh my god.
Speaker 1: It's just it's so heartbreaking because I wasn't. It's just like it could have happened to anyone.
Speaker 7: It could have happened to anybody, and I every time I see her, my heart just goes out to her. You know, you can just tell that she's she's just tortured by this what no matter whoever had anything to do with it. Her mom is missing, and she's you know, I'm sure she's not sleeping, and I just can't. It just breaks my.
Speaker 1: Heart, that's the whole thing.
Speaker 4: But you can't, you can't look at her and not just be.
Speaker 1: Heartbreaking hundred percent.
Speaker 2: Anyway.
Speaker 1: It's again, you know, you're not have no idea how people react to things, that's sure. Whether you're you know, you or Savannah Guthrie or me or someone on social media and influence whoever it might be, you just don't know anyway. So what time you get in there, Tom are like at what five thirty five twenty nine?
Speaker 7: I'll be there in place, ready to go, with every hair in its place by five thirty.
Speaker 1: Five thirty if anything, She's prompt well, And that also takes twenty minutes to figure. So we wear these capes with the with the helmets and everything, and it's always like a it's always this process puzzle. It really is. Every year. Every year she does like I just forum she puts her stuff on. I've got this cape I got to put on, and it's like there's these weird snaps on it. They haven't heard of Bell Crow. I'm the damn king. I should I should be able to be had someone beheaded?
Speaker 4: Yeah, you should have like your own staff of people.
Speaker 1: And it's just that always falls off I just because people step on it.
Speaker 2: It's like it's a whole thing, really is. It's a whole fun. It's a whole The things we have to do with to help the children.
Speaker 4: We wouldn't have it any other way.
Speaker 2: We wouldn't.
Speaker 1: It's always a it's a great event and I love the I love the cause too. It's the best part. So anyway, if you heard this you're interested in, Hey, last minute, let's do it. Northern Kentucky Convention Center Tomorrow starts at five thirty for the a VIP six thirty for general. It's like one hundred bucks Marty Grot twenty twenty six dot org. It's a virtual tickets, So go ahead. It's it's gonna help feed kids, and you have I guarantee you're gonna have a blast, bring some friends with you. She she I see tomorrow.
Speaker 4: All right, Scott, You'll see you Tomorrow'll.
Speaker 1: Take care as you goo My friend Shila Gray on the Scott Sloan Show This morning with news happening in about three minutes here, and then Mental Health Monday with Julie h that's next seven hundred WLW.
Speaker 7: Everyone needs help every now and then, and she's here to help us get our heads right.
Speaker 1: This is Mental Health Monday with mental health expert Julie Hattershire. It is pretty persistent when it comes to us as Americans, and that is the issue of rest in recovery because we were taught at an early age it's about productivity. It's about uh burn baby burn and burn the candle at both ends and it becomes addictive. Right, It's part of your DNA and that that productivity and that always on the go attitude really riaks havoc on our bodies and especially our mental health. So on that this morning is our licensed mental health therapist from Beconnected dot Care in Clifton. That's Julie Hanisher. Julie, welcome, how are you? Uh oh wait a minute, we're losing your signal here, we've got a bad sell. Hold on, I'm gonna put you on hold. I'm gonna pick it back up. See you there we go, We got you. You're back now. Mean, yeah, I think that was our Our end is terrible because that was gonna be a lot. I'll be burned out if I had to fill the next fifteen minutes myself.
Speaker 5: Talking about just chit chat exactly.
Speaker 1: Idle, stupid chit chat. And people are tired of me babbling. So the core issue is higher achievers, right, and I think a lot of people see themselves as higher achievers, and that means you never get to rest. That means you never get to turn it off, and even when you allegedly turn it off, you don't turn it off. So from a clinical perspective, here, being a licensed mental health therapist, what are the underlying psychological mechanisms that make us feel so uncomfortable or threatening to turn off our productivity?
Speaker 5: A lot going on.
Speaker 8: There, And you know, last week or the week before, we talked about cognitive reserve as being important for managing the effects of dementia.
Speaker 5: And one of the things that I think we don't realize.
Speaker 8: Is that mental energy is a finite resource that we have a limited amount of it in any given day, and we need to replenish and rejuvenate not just our physical energy, but our mental and our cognitive energy so that we don't burn ourselves out. And there are a lot.
Speaker 5: Of reasons why this is.
Speaker 8: Hard to do, and one of the biggest ones is that information and stimulation comes at us twenty four to seven. It's really hard to shut ourselves down and unplug from all of the stimulation and all the information that's coming at us. And when we think of ourselves as high achievers, are highly productive, and society rewards that, resting can feel self indulgent, it can feel like a waste of time. It can feel like we're being lazy if we are resting and other people are still kicking it.
Speaker 3: And so one of.
Speaker 5: The things that we need to do is understand there.
Speaker 8: Are different types of rest that we need. There are seven actually that we've determined, and figure out what works for us in terms of how to get them, because what looks like rest to us might not look like rest to somebody else and vice versa.
Speaker 1: Okay, so is there a difference between there's mental rest and physical rust? Are they one and the same.
Speaker 8: No, they're different, Okay, and there and there are five other types as well. So physical rest is either it can either be passive or active. So it can be literally sleep, it can be lying around on the couch or sitting still and doing something. But it can also be active rest if you tend to be physically active, doing yoga or stretching, or taking a walk that's not a speed walk, that's more.
Speaker 3: Of a stroll.
Speaker 8: So active recovery down days can be really important, or downtimes during.
Speaker 5: Your day can be really import No professional or.
Speaker 8: Elite athlete goes one hundred percent every day. They have days where they hit it harder and they have days where they do restorative practices.
Speaker 1: And they cross train.
Speaker 8: So football players do yoga, dancers do strength training, people who run do strength training, and people who lift do active cardio, so they cross train to keep their bodies moving, but to activate different muscles and different nervous systems attributes. So that is one way of getting physical rest. It still feels productive, but you're not hitting at one hundred percent every day.
Speaker 5: Mental rest, on the other hand.
Speaker 4: Is different.
Speaker 8: That's allowing your brain to do different things or nothing at all. So meditation is a form of mental rest. But if you are a numbers person, doing something creative or doing something that's more verbal, like reading a novel or painting, can be a form of mental rest because you're shifting from one type of task or activity or thought process to a different type of task or activity or thought process, which gives the part of your brain that was doing what you primarily do a break and allows you to stretch and grow, but also gives those parts of your brain a break.
Speaker 1: What about folks who, certainly not me, can never turn their brains off. It's like a million things are coming at you all the time.
Speaker 2: What is that?
Speaker 8: Well, first of all, shutting down from the things coming at you can help. So another type of rest that we need, Remember I said there are seven. Another one is sensory rest, and that's disconnecting from your screens. That's disconnecting from external stimuli coming in. That's turning the TV off, turning your phone off, in your computer off, maybe lighting a candle or two, and just sitting with maybe a book, or sitting with a musical instrument that you play, or sitting with some music in the background. Disconnecting from the inputs gives your brain a chance to stop processing the inputs, because everything that comes in your brain has to process.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 8: Yeah, and making a conscious effort to disconnect from that, to disconnect from the sensory inputs, can help your brain learn to shut down on its own without having to do that, so you prime it to be able to quiet. Doesn't have to be as significant as meditation, but it can be taking a walk in a park without your headphones, without a phone, just enjoying nature around you and shutting out all of the other stimulation.
Speaker 3: That's coming at you.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I would just think about all the stuff I gotta do when I'm done with my walk. What about just a good old nap? What about just I pass out for twenty minutes? Is that fine? Is that good? Is that the same thing as meditation.
Speaker 8: It's not the same thing as meditation, But naps are great. Twenty to thirty minutes is ideal. More than that, you start to get into a full sleep cycle, and that can be a problem. But twenty to thirty minute apps are ideal. I have a couch in my office and I regularly take twenty or thirty minute naps in between clients.
Speaker 1: It's fabulous.
Speaker 8: It's really good for your brain. It's a quick shutdown and a quick power up again. And if you keep.
Speaker 5: It in that twenty to thirty minute range, you can typically.
Speaker 8: Wake right back up and not be groggy. Anymore than that, you run the risk of being groggy because you're part way through a sleep cycle at that point.
Speaker 1: At some point in my life, I'm going to treat it like ice, Like if you have an injury, you put ice on, you know, whatever the sore part is. Twenty minutes of every hour. I'm going to nap twenty minutes of every hour. See how that works out good for you?
Speaker 5: And I want I want to see how I want to see how that works.
Speaker 8: I can't imagine that every hour.
Speaker 1: I'm digging twenty minutes resetting and I'll be really productive for the next forty minutes.
Speaker 2: But maybe there's something there.
Speaker 1: Julie Hatters Share, a licensed metal health therapist, on the show on seven hundred Wow Mental Health Monday, of course, and we're talking about resting is an important component here. We don't do enough of it. And I'm not talking about sleep, that's a different thing, but we're talking about just mental rest because we're at higher burnout, your ability, anxiety, all those things you mentioned.
Speaker 2: There are two well seven core issues here mental rest versus physical rest.
Speaker 8: What else is there, Well, there was sensory which we talked about reducing the inputs. There's social rest stepping away if you are a social butterfly, stepping away from social commitments, spending more time alone or one on one with someone that you really connect with, versus all of the social engagement which requires a lot of output of energy. We all need time when we are more isolated and more cocooned.
Speaker 5: Some of us need more than others.
Speaker 8: Introverts tend to need more than extroverts, but we all need some sort of social rest creativity, so taking a break from being productive and focusing on the output and spending time focusing on the process. So the purpose of creative rest is to focus on the process of.
Speaker 1: What you're doing, not the product or the output.
Speaker 8: So it doesn't matter whether you can play a song on the piano, but learning to play the piano is a kind of rest, because rest basically is an intentional disengagement from effort. So you are disengaging from one type of effort and engaging in a different type of effort intentionally, so creative rest is important for many people's. Spiritual rest is important if you have a spiritual practice, whether it's a religion, or you spend time in nature or you meditate. Shifting from the world that we're in now to something with higher meaning for you, that shift intentionally is a form of rest, and the last one is emotional rest. So a lot of us you and some degree as a therapists, I present a not completely authentic face to the world. So being able to step away from that and be truly genuinely, fully authentic with some people in your life, not having to present your corporate fath or your professional face or your tea your face, or in my case is a therapist face. But being able to just genuinely be truly who you are is a form of rest as well. But the idea is not that you do nothing when you rest, it's that you do something different than what you had been doing since your attention intentionally to something else.
Speaker 1: Take me through what that looks like.
Speaker 8: Okay, so, if you are a numbers person or and you sit at your desk all day, let's say, or you're an account or in actuary and you sit at your desk all day doing numbers work. A form of rest for you might be taking a long walk with your dog. A form of rest for you might be cooking a delicious meal. A form of rest for you might be reading a book instead of staring at numbers all day, reading a novel something for fun. It might be spending time with people that you like rather than spending time in front of a screen.
Speaker 5: Conversely, if you are a people person.
Speaker 8: And you are out in the world a lot engaging with people, of form of for us might be something more solitary. It might be having a conversation one on one with one person, a deep conversation, not a whole lot of less deep conversations. It might be shutting down and reading a book. It might be taking a nap. That might be going for a walk. It's intentionally shifting so that you're cross training your brain. Like you cross train your body as an athlete, you're cross training your brain.
Speaker 1: Okay, now that makes sense. You're just doing something like you mentioned music a couple times. I think that's I was reading something about Alzheimer's, Like if you learn to play an instrument, that's why we're just talking about this playing an instrument is wonderful for you because you're exercising part of your brain you probably haven't in years. If you're you know, something you pick up or just doing the act of doing that is generally most people their job doesn't involve learning and playing a musical instrument. If you are, if that's a hobby, ors that's great, but that is something that continues to pay dividends later in life.
Speaker 5: It absolutely does.
Speaker 8: Music is a language, and so if you learn to play an instry that you're learning a different language, or if you learn to produce music in some way, you're learning a different language. It very often requires physical dexterity. All almost all instruments require physical dexterity. If you're a singer, that's not the case, but everything else does. And it can put you in community with other musicians, So it can give you a different kind of community than you might have with your golf league or your tennis club or your ma gen club. It can put you in community with other types of people who also are engaged in this activity. In this language, and music lights up a primal part of the brain that language does but that other things in our world don't, So it helps strengthen the brain language connection as well, because music is very often the first language we hear as babies, our mothers sing to us, so it's very often the first language here.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, all right, makes sense. What does perfectionism play a role in this? I would imagine, just by what you're saying, if you tend to be a type are perfectionist by nature, that these burnout and challenges when it comes to mental health is really challenging.
Speaker 2: For you because you feel like you always.
Speaker 8: Have to be on, You always have to be on, you always have to be producing, and your product always has to be excellent to perfect, and so perfectionism often prevents people from trying new things and from taking breaks from what they're doing, and from growing and stretching and challenging themselves, because the goal is the product, not the process. The goal is the product has to be perfect, not the process needs to be fun or engaging or a learning opportunity or growth and enrichment. It's about the end result, and the end result has to be perfect, so they tend.
Speaker 5: People who are perfectionists.
Speaker 8: Tend not to take rest intentionally because that feels like quitting or giving up or being lazy.
Speaker 1: Or unproductive, and.
Speaker 8: They tend not to like to do new things when they're challenging themselves because they don't want to make mistakes. They don't want to be seen as being less than perfect by themselves or other people. And it's the product, not the process, that matters. So part of intentionally shifting your focus and taking arrest is focusing more on the process. What am I learning, what am I growing?
Speaker 3: What is stretching in me?
Speaker 5: Versus did I do that right?
Speaker 1: Okay? But but for people and I maybe high pressure professional or a doctor or first responders things like that.
Speaker 2: Yeah, what does?
Speaker 1: The stakes are generally high and work and truly be urgent, But how do you help them navigate tension between legitimate work demands and need for rest because there's a balance there. I mean, if you're a Doeer doctor, for example, you can't How do you turn that off? Yeah?
Speaker 5: It's really hard though. People in high.
Speaker 8: Trendaline professions like that have a very difficult time turning it off. And one of the things when I'm working with them in my practice that I will tell them is that rest and self care are good ethics because you cannot make good decisions for your patients or the people you are rescuing, and you cannot operate at full capacity if you are tapped out, if you are burned out, if you're hungry, if you're tired, if you're angry, it's really hard to operate.
Speaker 5: At full capacity.
Speaker 8: So taking care of yourself is ethical and actually benefits the people that you are serving more than pushing yourself past your limit. I don't want an er doc working on me if I'm brought in with a heart attack, who has not eaten, not slept, not had a chance to go to the bathroom, not had a good solid drink of water, and who's been.
Speaker 5: On shift for twelve hours.
Speaker 8: I mean, if that's the only person available, fine, but I'd really rather have one who's been fed and hydrated and had some downtime and has is really fully on board and fully present, rather than someone who's running on fumes. So rest and so self care are ethics issues for people who are taking care of other people in high risk situations.
Speaker 1: For me, like, if I schedule a workout or something that's non negotiable, that's like my time, and I've learned to do that over the years ago. No, I need some me time. Or whatever it might be doing. And I've been more forceful about that, and there's some people like, well, Okay, I guess I can give that up. But it sounds to me like you should be scheduling rest, like it should be on your schedule.
Speaker 8: I think you should, and I think that some people are better at doing that than other people. So I will tell you I'm not great at it, but I will tell you that my sessions are fifty minutes, not a full hour, And in that ten minutes in between clients, I let my brain disengage from what I was thinking about what was going on in my room and start to think a little bit about what's coming next for me. But I take that ten minutes to just kind of take a pause, take a reset, get a drink of water, walk up and down the hall a couple of times, and then I'm ready for my next client. When I was first out, I would do sixty minute sessions and I would roll from one client to the next time to the next, and I found that I was not nearly as effective in doing that. So I literally had ten minutes of rest built into my workday every hour on the.
Speaker 1: Fifty minutes just to take a break.
Speaker 8: Some people don't. Yeah, some people don't have the ability to do that, which makes perfect sense. But if you're at work and you get a lunch break of any kind, take ten or fifteen minutes of that and do something different. Don't eat lunch at your desk, scrolling your email the whole time. Take ten or fifteen minutes of that and take a walk or close your eyes for a few minutes.
Speaker 5: If you're in a place where you.
Speaker 8: Can do that, or get outside, or have a conversation with a friend or a coworker, call your mom or dad, do something different, take a break from what you are doing. You can't hit at one hundred percent all the time. It's not healthy and it's not sustainable.
Speaker 1: Julie hattersh here our license mental health therapist on the Scott's Loan show Every Monthing Mental Health Monday.
Speaker 2: With Julie H.
Speaker 1: So you can get a hold of her her handles heye Julie au l I e at B the letter B connected dot care, Hey Juliet B connected dot care as an email if you want to shoot her something and say hey, good job, or are calling you out on something, or maybe you've got an idea for a future topics. She's there for it and we talk every Monday morning and next Monday, no exception. Julie, have a great day.
Speaker 2: Thanks again. I appreciate you so much.
Speaker 5: Thank you. Talk to you later BYFYE.
Speaker 1: News is on the way in just about five minutes. Your full update as a fog burns off looking at the decent day and warm too warm, Warm Warm, Scott's slown down seven hundred WW reminder, iHeartMedia and the Big One. Salute Cincinnati's own Procter and gamble. If you've got someone there you'd like for us to recognize on the air, just text us their name to five to one, eight eight one and be listening. Do you want to be an American idiot?
Speaker 10: Pull me back on seven hundred wl W on this President's Day and coming off of the vapor trail of love, vapor trail of love?
Speaker 2: What the hell are you talking about? What are you?
Speaker 1: I still my love at bit Valentine's Day?
Speaker 7: Boy?
Speaker 1: If you cock this one up, be coming at your heart today. Today is the day where post Valentine's Day see breakups and of course the divorce train. A lot of divorces happening in the next couple of weeks because you cocked ub Valentine's Day. I do that kind of it. I often don't do just straight up book authors, but this one caught my attention. Is a he's a divorce attorney's don like thousands of divorce cases and says, you know what, maybe I'll use this power of evil for good and switch to the bright side rather than the dark side. And uh, you call it the ten Commands of Marriage Secrets of a Divorce Lawyer, which I think is a great idea of who knows better about staying together than the divorce lawyer. Congratulations, David Erdaman.
Speaker 2: This is brilliant.
Speaker 6: Well, thank you, Scott. It's a pleasure to be on the big One this morning. Cincinnati is one of my favorite cities. Pleasure to speak with you.
Speaker 2: Thank you appreciate it. Where are you from now? Where you live now?
Speaker 6: Well, I live in the other Queen city, Charlotte, North Carolina.
Speaker 1: Oh okay, beautiful area of the country. We hopefully will be able to travel again soon and exchange. But so in this area, this is interesting. So you're like slitting your own throat, aren't you, Scott.
Speaker 6: The truth of the matter is, lawyers are sworn to help their clients' best interests, and we really are. I give credit to even my imposing lawyers for that. But the best interest of many of these clients, in fact, is to work on saving their marriage. And I'm not I don't try to lead them, I try to follow them. But when you think about it, in a divorce, there's a possibility that only one of the people wants to divorce, and the other one might be the one coming to see me. So that person wants to save her marriage or his marriage. And I've sworn myself throughout my career to try to help people who want to save their marriage to do so.
Speaker 1: All right, So what do you typically see number one cause for divorce? Is it infidelity or money?
Speaker 6: Money is the biggest problem for young couples, but infidelity and addiction are the two big problems that I see lightelong in marriages, and addiction gets to be a larger problem as people get older.
Speaker 1: And probably that are right, So money when you're younger, infidelity probably in your middle aged years, and then addiction in the later stages of the marriage, Am I right?
Speaker 5: Yes?
Speaker 6: Yes? In generalities, yeah.
Speaker 2: Okay, you can almost break it up in age groups.
Speaker 6: Then in that case, well, it's shocking to me. What a I'm not against people having a drink of alcohol, but the scourge of alcoholism is more widespread than the average person might imagine unless they're living it and.
Speaker 1: They're yeah, I have friends that fall into that category of the divorce because a spouse got into that or other things.
Speaker 2: And yeah, I totally could see that.
Speaker 1: We tend to older, We get, we get, I mean to guess, Well, let's start at the beginning here. Let's let's rewind, David, we got so, you got some time, I got some time here. You don't charge by the you don't charge by the minute. Do you You know one of those.
Speaker 6: Attorneys of the first call is always.
Speaker 2: All right, it's contingency.
Speaker 1: I like that, So so counselor we'll start with you. You know, okay, So you're married, in your twenties, your thirties, you're just starting out. You've got college loans maybe or maybe just you know, you're working jobs, multiple jobs, you never see each other. Money's tight, You're going to break up over money? Why why would you split up over money? Why would you go in separate directions?
Speaker 3: Is it?
Speaker 1: Or is it because one spouse has different spending habits in the other.
Speaker 6: Well, by the way, I don't know that you ask what the biggest problem is. Money is the biggest challenge, and ideally they overcome that challenge. But yes, indeed, when people are single, when I was single, when you were single, when any of your listeners are single, they can live their life and spend their money the way they want. But when they get into a partnership called the marriage, then how they spend their money affects both people, and so it's a relearning process to think together about planning a life and planning the finances.
Speaker 1: And I think that's an important thing is you typically would see a couple come together and maybe let's say she has her sense about her financially in getting a relationship with a guy who maybe has some past debt, bad credit, that sort of thing. What do you recommend when you're first getting together, you get engaged if it's and that's probably typical. Right, one is a good saver and maybe has a good monetary fiscal policy, and another one not so much.
Speaker 2: What do you recommend a couple like that?
Speaker 6: Well, number one, you're exactly right. You'd be surprised how much of undisclosed debt comes into early marriages. But the answer, of course is communication, and the answer is truthfulness. And a marriage is off to a bad start if the couple has not been able to communicate openly with each other about who the a are. A longer engagement might be a good idea. Getting to know this person in all dimensions is always a good idea.
Speaker 1: So let's say, if it's your kid, your son, or your daughter, they're engaged, background checked, how do you find out about the real find because that happens right you all of a sudden, Hey we're married. Oh, by the way, I didn't tell you. I've had three bankruptcies nowadays.
Speaker 6: By the way, I have two grown daughters. They're both very happily married and have done wonderfully in their choice of spouses. But nowadays I hear many parents of that that would be the would be grandparents, the parents of a daughter or son getting married, paying for their own private investigative report to find out about the person that their son or daughter is marrying. Yes, I'm seeing that a lot these days.
Speaker 2: Very interesting. Yeah, But you know, I mean there's another thing too.
Speaker 1: Now, Graham and Grepp are going to pull a you know, hire a p I or somebody to follow his kid or around. And then you find out something that may be a little on savory. How do you present that to your kid without reckoning a relations because that looks like you're trying to split them up. And now you're gonna put you're gonna put your relationship with your kids in jeopardy.
Speaker 6: Oh, you're exactly right. And uh. And parents have to trust their adult children to make good decisions. But parents should always feel that they have license to give advice. And there you know, there was an old soul song that said, take time to know her. I don't remember who sang that one, but take time to know him, take time to know her. I'm not a big advocate for the private investigator, and I'm very much not a big advocate for meddling parents. But I am a big advocate for a would be engaged person to make sure they know who they are marrying and whatever degree of assurances they need. If it requires private investigator, at least a Facebook search, my goodness, they ought to do that.
Speaker 1: Yeah, well, how about this, If you've got the means, hire an investigator for him, hire an investigator for her, and then just have an exchange notes, I got nothing to hide, and then that takes this thing off it right.
Speaker 6: Well, well there's a problem there. The problem is that that introduces i'll call it a poison in the relationship. It's the it's the it's it's both. It's both. It's both encouraging of trust because you say, okay, I know all about you, but it's also infecting the relationship with suspicion and mistrust. And and I like to say in the book, you know, my book's called Secrets of a Divorce Lawyer. Uh, the Ten Commandments of Marriage. I I say that the person to whom one marries is the person they must ultimately trust more than any other person on the globe. And so they've got to build trust. The best way, of course, is for a person to be self disclosing about their background. If they've got three bankruptcies, tell the person to get honest.
Speaker 2: If it comes.
Speaker 1: Well, here's the thing she asked her. He asked to trust depending on where your kid is. But guess what, I'm the father. I don't trust.
Speaker 6: Anybody, and many and many fathers do not.
Speaker 2: And that's my job. My job is to not trust anybody.
Speaker 6: Well, and and and that's right. But I say, if you have a son or a daughter, let's say.
Speaker 1: You have a daughter, I don't trust them either.
Speaker 6: All right, Well, then then then don't marry them.
Speaker 1: Advice.
Speaker 6: But the persons who are getting married must trust each other, because, as I says in the book, after a year of marriage, a person should closer to their spouse, and their spouse should know them better than their parents would, than their siblings do, than their best friends do, because they know everything about the person after a year.
Speaker 1: Gotcha, all right? So who better than a divorcelader advised people to stay married. David Edmud's an attorney. He wrote The Secrets of a Divorce loader all the stuff he sees. You put the book and said, well, if you read this, then everything you need to know about having a happy marriage is standing together is right here. It's brilliant, actually, if you think about it. So we move from the younger ages, where it's money real quick here to the infidelity of the middle years, the proverbial seven year itches they used to call it, right, which is right near what thirties forties probably.
Speaker 6: People. I saw a note just this past week of somebody turning forty and how how cataclysmic it was to this individual to be turning forty. It was a woman, and it makes people every decade at least makes people look at their lives and say, am I on track for where I want to be? I look at it differently when they come into my office. I look at it and say, well, let's just let's make sure we understand what's good about your relationship. Because they may have a nice home, great kids, everything about their life is good, but they're feeling, to use your phrase, itchy about their spouse. Well, is there a behavior or two or three that their spouse needs to change? I think that in many cases, ninety five percent of what people have in their marriages is satisfactory to them, and it's the five percent that makes them look elsewhere. And that's not why, because chances are the next marriage they may only be eighty five percent satisfied and find fifteen.
Speaker 3: Percent problem with.
Speaker 1: Yeah, but that's also part of it. Right, grass is greener, and you also get like, man, what happened to my life? I used to be carefree and young, and I'm settling. I'm settling. Right?
Speaker 2: Is that the biggest thing for.
Speaker 1: Men and women when they act unfaithful. Is that it's it's like they're trying to get control their life back.
Speaker 6: Let me think about that. In my book, I write what I have learned as a as a secret of a divorce lawyer, and that is this generalization applies about fifty percent of the time. And that is, if a female is having an extra matter affair, fifty percent of the time it will be with her supervisor, her boss. With a man, there is no such correlation. You would think that the reciprocal would be true. Okay, If fifty percent of women who are having affairs are having with their bosses supervisors, then theoretically fifty percent of men should be having them with their direct reports. But it doesn't work out that way. Men are looking more widely. Women come to trust their bosses by working together all day. I talk a lot about that because it is not a problem in marriages at large. I don't want anybody to be afraid of work. I don't want a woman to be afraid of working for a man. But when there are problems in the marriage, that's when they come to see a divorce lawyer. It's often the woman's boss, and so that's that's and that's that has all sorts of ramification.
Speaker 1: Yeah, psychologically, Yeah, how do I get the psychological elemnus because I don't want to. So we've gone from money to the infidel in the middle aged thing and then the interesting one to me what you said. What you're saying in the Secrets of a Divorce Lawyer, David Erdman is for older people. And what age group we're talking here when it comes to addiction is being the number one cause of divorce among older couples.
Speaker 6: Here's here's what happens in my book. That's in the book, and it's called The Ten Commandments of Marriage. I talk about the role of addiction and I look at it as a fork in the road. Let me let me go back just a little bit of life history. When you go up through your twenties, chances are you're a heavy consumer of alcohol. But between age thirty and forty, that's when you start having children and you better get control of alcohol or alcohol is going to control you. By the time people are forty, they're a percentage maybe ten percent, maybe less than ten percent are hooked on alcohol and it can be drugs, and so then matters begin to deteriorate in the marriage because because it's not usually a health concern until an older issue, but it's a financial concern. It's an anger problem in the marriage. It's a conflict over the one spouse saying you drink too much and the other saying I do not. Well, they've got a problem. And the person who's drinking too much may be going out and corrousing with other people because they're not having fun at home anymore. They're not even welcome at home anymore, and then that problem stix with them, and it is a It is a as a young person, I would never have imagined how pandemic it is in old age.
Speaker 2: Wow. And uh, it's part of that too though.
Speaker 1: I Mean, you get older, you get you know, aches and pains, and you start maybe on a prescription thing and maybe you self medicate to with alcohol. You got time, you got money, you start doing that kind of stuff. You're you're also an empty nester, right, how much does that affect a breakup of a marriage? Because you know, for years and years, especially today, you know suburbanites, you know young parents, it's all about the kids, the kids, the kids, and sports and music and this and that. In this camp and you're driving all over hells over and then they grow up. Okay, we got them in a great college, and they they leave and now you have you're living with a stranger.
Speaker 6: Uh, Scott. I definitely address that in the book. If the couple has not made their marriage the core of their existence together and instead have made the children the core of it, or perhaps their career the core of it, then they really don't have a central focus any longer in their marriage, and and things tend to spend apart. One of my commandments is to live a marriage centered life. That sounds difficult, but the truth matter is if the marriage is at the center of your life, where is it. It's somewhere else. And that in terms of looking at the demography that what happens with marriages. Once people are centered somewhere else, then their marriage is definitely a subject of being lost in the process.
Speaker 2: David Herdman, all the best to you, thanks again for coming on the show.
Speaker 6: Thank you brother.
Speaker 1: A nice uplifting topic for a couple of days past out since day. If you really screwed up Valandide's day, you may need the book and the advice of sound legal counsel because the next month or so, a couple of weeks at least, attorneys start to see a huge up to the number divorce.
Speaker 2: I mean, think about it.
Speaker 1: You made it through of cold winter monthster together, you realize how much you hate each other, and then you suffer through the holidays and maybe made it to Valentine's Day. Of course it's more of a I guess, probably more of a couple thing, not you know, maybe you're engaged or have been dating a while, or dating the breakups happened to post Valentine's Day. But we do see a spike in the number of divorces as well this divorce season ahead of baseball season, which, by the way, we begin today in ernest because our buddy Dave D. R.
Speaker 2: Brewster.
Speaker 1: This first update from spring training heard here on seven hundred WLW.
Speaker 2: Hey, it's Sloane. Remember your kid.
Speaker 1: You go to class and classes starting to fall here, and you make some new friends and probably keep maybe one a couple of those things through the next year, and you make different frame your friend circle expands and you move away. Maybe you go to school, right, you make more friends there and now with Facebook and everything now on Facebook is even old school right, you've talked about Twitter and Instagram and TikTok and all that you can keep tabs on your friends you haven't seen in a long time. Why is it so much harder to make friends though, when you're an adult? I mean, think about it. For a lot of folks they keep, especially Cincinnati, right, as parochial as we are, tend to keep a lot of the same friends you had your whole life. But making new friends is difficult. Why is it so hard for adults? Interesting question? Merca Franco is here, she is an expert on these step of relationships, and I think that's the most valid question of our time.
Speaker 2: It's easy when your kid. Why is it so hard winning an adult? Marissa?
Speaker 11: So when we're kids, we have what Rebecca g Adams of Sociologists calls the ingredients that allow friendships happen organically, which are continuous, unplanned interaction and shared vulnerability. So we see people every day and we let our guard down, lunch reset in. But as adults, we don't have the same infrastructure, so we can't assume that friendships happened organically in the same way.
Speaker 1: Yeah, but you see people at work, people come and go, stuff like that people you work next to in you know, cubicle or the drill press next to you, or on the job, whatever it is. It seems like there's it just seems like there's more opportunities when you're alt because you know, you have the one thing you don't when you're kid, and that's ability to travel yourself.
Speaker 3: Right.
Speaker 1: You can get in a car, go for a walk wherever you want to go. You make more contacts a day than the typical kid does.
Speaker 11: Yeah, that's a great point. A study actually found though, that the more time we spent together at work, the less closely feel. And I think that's because for a lot of us in the workplace, that sense of vulnerability, the unguarded net that was part of the ingredients for connection isn't necessarily there. We share just a certain side of us. We don't share the full dimensions of who we are, and so we might feel like I know you as an employee, but I don't necessarily know you as a person.
Speaker 1: We have an interesting phenomenon here in Cincinnati, Ohio, doctor, in that we have the East side on the West side here, and there's a noticeable difference between the two west Siders tend to be people who grew up in the same and I'm stereotyping here, but grew up in the same neighborhood, when's the same high school, you know, lifelong friends kind of like America used to be a couple generations ago, generation or two ago, and it's kind of that way, and it's quite and it's nice. But I think from those I've known and met perfectly, you know, wonderful folks and stuff, but there's a sense that you know, if you didn't grow up in that particular neighborhood or you're not part of that group, it's awfully tough to break through. And yeah, some cities and areas are easier, like at the East side of Cincinnata to do that. It's an interesting phenomenon here, but I would suspect that's probably true in a lot of areas.
Speaker 11: Yeah, that is a really interesting phenomenon. And I like how you put it, like similar to generations path because it's true people used to live in the same neighborhoods and areas their whole life, and that really facilitated connection. Because one study found that the more you move, the more dispose mold. Basically, your relationships become so people that have the same area that haven't continuous interactions really have that opportunity to relationships. And I don't think, you know, Cincinnati is the only place in the US that has that. I think there can be a sort of wide range of experiences when it comes to making friends, depending on your reasons.
Speaker 3: Certainly, you know you have.
Speaker 1: Your same social circle. Maybe people come and go, but generally not making as many friends as you did when you were younger and lifelong friends at that People retire and move and then all of a sudden they're back to being kids again, making all brand new friends.
Speaker 11: Yeah. Yeah, And that is actually one of the things that predicts how satisfied we are in our retirement, whether we replace the social network we might have gotten from working every day. I mean, I think when we're in retirement, right, people in general and times of transition tend to be more open to friendship. So that's retiring, moving to a new city, you know, going through a breakup or divor traveling for example. And it gives us a lot more time. And obviously time is a big factor that we need to be able to make friends. Just being able to have the ability to interact more frequently will really up our chances of forming connection.
Speaker 2: How do you do this then?
Speaker 1: I mean, you know, if you're going, Okay, this sounds good, I'm I'm going to go and I'm going to try and to expand my friend base right now, how do you go out and find that?
Speaker 11: Yeah, So, as I talked about it platonics, you have to initiate. Friendships doesn't really happen organically. As adults, people that think friendship happens based on luck are lonelier over time, whereas those that think it happens based on effort are less lonely. Now, people are very afraid of rejections. The truth is, according to the research, people are less likely to reject you than you think. When strangers interact and predict how how much they think the other person likes them, we tend to underestimate how much people like us. It's called the liking gap. And one of my biggest tips for making friends that I talk about in Platonics is the importance of assuming people like you so you can initiate. Because when researchers basically manipulated people to think that way, even though it was a lie, people became more more friendly or more open and they actually, you know, put themselves in a place to be more likely to make friends. So it becomes a sort of self fulfilling prophecy. And after you do all that, you just say to someone and you'd like to hang out with more, like, Hey, it's been great to connect because you take topic information like I'd love to find more time to hang out.
Speaker 1: We'll have to talk again later and go through the whole friend zone thing too, because we're just talking about you generally a friend relationships, platonic relationships. Name of the book is platonic, but it's a whole thing when you start, you know, mixing romantic interests in here in your you know, there's friend zone and everything else. Maybe there's a I don't know, maybe there's a follow up to this, Doctor Mersa Franco, thanks again for the time.
Speaker 11: Appreciate it, no problem, my pleasure.
Speaker 1: Thanks again. And I just I just thought of this as I hung up. And I think it's because too, when you're younger, you don't have the demands on your time as much as you do when your adult. Right, you've got everything pulling at you all the time. It feels like the older you get, the last time you have, and there's so many demands for your time. You like to and sit down and talk to someone and get to know them, but do you really have that time or inclination to do it. And also, I think your BS meter is kind of worn a little bit thin over the years too, and maybe that's a little tiring for some folks. I guess I'm always open to meeting different, you know, new people and different things and experiences. I'm cool with that still, I get that a lot of people aren't. But relative to why it's easier when you're younger and older, I think that's it right there, is that there's so many constraints for our time. And that's why when you retire, and let's say, you know, if you're a Cincinnati and right, you're going to retire and you're only allowed to move go to different play you're only allowed to go like Gallaton, Kentucky. You're allowed to go to I'm sorry, Pigeon Forge, the Outer Banks or Destined Florida, and that's pretty much it right there, or the Gulf side of Florida, maybe the Fort Myers. And once you do that, though, you now, okay, I don't have demands of my time anymore. You may start making friends again. Like your kid. I think it's work, I think it's life, I think it's family. It's all those things that weighs down there. That's why it's hard to make friends when you're an adult, because you just you want to, but you don't have the time.
Speaker 2: You got a lot going on.
Speaker 1: This is seven hundred WW and news in about twelve minutes here on the show and the big stories today. Looks like crime over the first couple months of the new year here in Cincinnati has gone up forty percent, which is insane considering how cold it's been since literally the first.
Speaker 2: Of the year.
Speaker 1: You've got to work really really hard to get those crime numbers where they are with the weather the way it's been. We'll try to make sense of that, probably something on tomorrow's show on that. We also have the guy in uh whereas a Georgia who gave his son a gun went on a shooting spree and mass murder and his high school and is responsible. Now he has his day in court today, which I think is a fascinating Second Amendment story in that you've got it responsible, you give the you give a weapon to someone who is under the underage. You own that bullet as much as that individual does, as my mother, son or daughter does. So we just whether it's unlocked guns or guns in the hands of the wrong people, especially kids. As a pro Secondmendment guy myself, I totally see what it is they're doing and trying to do here, and you should. You've got to be responsible, much more responsible. Also, a Chicago area teacher forced to resign over his Facebook post two words that cost him his job.
Speaker 2: Go ice is what he said.
Speaker 1: He has worked for a decade and a half building his career in in an area in Gary where there is a predominant Hispanic population. Therefore, the he has a disproportion number kids in his classes that a Hispanic.
Speaker 2: And so he said, go ice.
Speaker 1: And of course, you know, someone caught that and then shared it, and then they shared it and it went viral, and yeah, it's an area where the local police.
Speaker 2: Said they would cooperate with ice.
Speaker 1: So he recently put up a Facebook post that I've spent fourteen years building my career, pouring my heart into teaching kids, building relationships and building a positive role as opposive role model. To see it up ended over two simple words, go Ice, where I expressed my personal support for law enforcement felt like a severe blow to my career. And now, of course, if you're anti ICE, you think this is just desserts. If you support ICE and all that they do unequivocally, then you are defending this guy. So he will be and now has become a darling of the right, So he's been claimed into that circle.
Speaker 2: Might have been all law, but who knows. And I think it's interesting.
Speaker 1: You know, we talk about cancel culture and it's more kind of past cancel culture, and it still comes up. We had what happened with, you know, the campus canceled culture over the last several years that seems to be fading. We had what happened with that Joe Rogan and Spotify where boycotted over his perceived anti vaccine stance, and the guy from The Bachelor a few years ago cost him. Of course, on the you know, on the left, you've had conservative led cancelations and that included Dylan mulvaney in the bud Light thing, what happened with Target and the Pride Collection, and Liz Cheney for that matter too, where she was removed from the House GOP leadership and censured by the Republicans for voting to impeach Trump and criticizing his false election claims and lost her primary by landslide or Trump backed challenger. And so you know, this past year, as we still fairly new year, anyway, it feels like this is emerging. It's starting to the warmest starting tournoways changes. This is the year of uncancelation. And I think what's going on is if you look at Trump, right, the latest controversy, although he may have done something today, seems like every day he does something. The Obama video that came out with Michelle and Barack Obama and Barack Obamas come out on a podcast and kind of gone after the president on this. You'll blame the guy in him saying, hey, it was first it was a White House intern, or now, well I didn't watch the whole video. Okay, well you're having a you know, the face of Michelle Obama and President Obama super imposed on primates is certainly going to cause a lot of people to question whether or not you're a racist. If you think he's a racist, this just gives you more ammunition, right, and mean, it's a horrible thing. You can't to go I wasn't my fight and watch the whole thing. It's not hard to say I'm sorry. But today, and this is the uncancellation part of it, you don't have to do that anymore because now today you have this loyal base and the bass has become more significant than broad appeal. So Trump's political success, if you look at it, demonstrates at a strong base can help you survive cancelation attempts. That makes sense because his core core base they don't care, you know, they're and I think also we are fatigued with the constant outrage cycle. And that's part of why this past year politically has felt like ten because the constant outrage. It's like we have outrage PTSD. You do, I do, everyone does. And that's what that feels like. And even the corporate anti wold cancelations aren't really sticky. You know, Anheuser Busch and Target saw minimal long term damage with our campaigns. They go, Okay, we can survive this. So it's really shifted towards I'm glad to see this more to an accountability culture. The cancel culture is transferring from this either your platform or deplatformed this whole binary model into more kind of a nuanced system. Okay, did you say or do something stupid? We had just what was an HGTV host. I don't watch those shows because they dre'd be crazy. And she I think she's forty nine and she just got canceled. Technically, well, I don't cancel, but she dropped the end bomb like in an outtake, and they told her. She's like, oh my god, I can't believe I said that. Those words don't come out of my mouth. Well they do. They did, and it was caught on tape and she wanted the I guess in this case the photographers to delete that, and someone said this is interesting and made a complainte HGTV cut not only they're just ready to leach I guess her new season. They canceled that, They pulled all her episodes off, they took everything off social She has disappeared because at the end, Bob now today you know, and this may be the Tom Brenneman effect, you know, I mean to look what Tom said and did and paid a heavy price for that for four or five years, but he was able to reabilitate himself and say, listen, Okay, I get the air of my ways and now was embraced by the same community he offended years ago. I mean, that's that's the way society should be. You're held accountable, you pay a price. Some say too long. I would agree with that, but there's got a price to pay, and you did that, and you're rehabilitating to move forward. And I think maybe today we're finally seeing the light with us where we want to see public public figures learn and demonstrate growth and not just be permanently killed in banned. To this point, I saw YouTube and acts are adding what they call rehabilitation notes to controversial content so you can address past controversies to present so you can head it off with the past or accountability audits or whatever they call it. And there's a clear line between what's cancelable or criminal behavior. Certainly that's that's a different But yeah, we're in this state right now. We're being offended is our default setting. And maybe we're going in and changing that button bar, maybe we're changing that little radio button a little bit, and you know, people, because that just adds more censorship to the mix too as well. And this day and age of bountiful communication. It's kind of scary that, you know, we're our default setting is just, hey, let's not rock the boat. Let's not be offended here, because yeah, I thought with social media, the one thing there is if you just let the truth come out, Uh, that seems to always win. Now again you're saying, well, slonely, there's AI, there's a bunch of other things and manipulating what truth looks like, and truth now is debatable, it's in the ie beholder. It's kind of always has been, though this is just a digital extension of it. I think I think we're just we're tired. We're just exhausted of being offended all the time. And as kind of as predicted back in the day when the whole you know, left wing cancel culture which started this whole thing, I said, you know this, at some point there's gonna be a right wing cancel culture, and sure enough it happened. Because we have this political polarization in the United States that it feels like it's peak.
Speaker 2: I don't know if it is or not. We'll find out.
Speaker 1: And and you're seeing I think as a result of this, the percentage of Americans identifying is moderate is now hit a record low about a third of the country. Doesn't mean independent voters, that's a whole different thing, but people who consider themselves moderates, and the cultural right now demands public attention for cancelation. Previously it was the left with me too and Black Lives Matter and all these things, and it's kind of dangerous. And maybe that's also why you see the number of students, younger people in America gen zers saying it was acceptable to use violence to stop someone you disagree from speaking. It was something like one in three now last year. That's an alarming number thinking that you should use violence aka Charlie Kirk to stop someone you disagree with. Absolutely frightening, but I think maybe you know, it just becomes permanent but less dramatic, and I think the rehabilitation culture eventually wins, at least that that's my hope.
Speaker 2: Anyway, we jump in with
Speaker 1: News and more to follow with Willie at twelve six today here on the hull of the Red seven hundred WW Cincinnati,