Speaker 1: Doant to be an American's plony here on seven hundred ww absolutely incredible weekend here in the city, and it ain't good. We've got the huge Bengals loss to chop up James Rapine in about a half hour. Normally he's on like eleven thirty five. He's going to be on earlier this morning, because you know, you'd anticipate with the loss, this historic, this bad and back to back weeks, heads would roll. Of course, this is Cincinnati. You could be really, really bad and still have years and years or years of grace. That's how we do things. But we also have more troubling news than that, because it's literally life and death and another bad and bloody weekend in the city. On Friday, video of the July brawl leaked out, confirming what Kip guynan assistant prosecutor, said in quarter a while back when arraignments were being made that the victim of this case, el Chinowski, he was attacked. He was the victim, showed him attack from behind, and the one man arrested prior to him slapping someone. So we now have the evidence leaking out days before the election, and tomorrow being election day, Saturday, four people shout outs the night club and OTR are at one o'clock in the morning, and then about a half hour later, multiple people shot at Carthage and Carthage at sixty ninth and Vine. I believe three shot and another killed. Seven people shot, one dead this weekend at Cincinnati, and voters will head to the polls tomorrow to decide what kind of leadership, if any, they want. One of the people seeking your voters council member, hopefully elect Chris Smithman of the show on seven hundred WW has been very vocal about this, and Chris, this has been a horrible weekend in what feels like a steady, ongoing drumbeat of horrible news in our town here in Cincinnati. Welcome, Hey, Thanks Sloanly.
Speaker 2: It was a tough weekend, and I think you're right. We've had a lot of tough weekends. And the problem has been from my perspective, is that this council collectively and the mayor and the administration have just taken their eye off the ball. And this is what happens when you say you want to defund the police or you want to reimagine them, and when you allow attrition to have us two hundred officers down and expect our cops to do their job when you're telling them, don't do proactive policing. And it's not like Sloan, you and I don't agree with community based policing. I mean it all comes back to training, training, training. We have the best training in the state of Ohio. I mean, Columbus will say they have a great training. We have a great training here for our cops. But we got to let our cops do their job and we've got to back them up Sloan when they do it. And we know that there's a racial undertone to this conversation that we've got to be willing to have. And so we know that when our white young officers approach a young African American male in the Dora or on the banks, and they're thirteen or fifteen years old, it's two o'clock in the morning, why aren't our officers given the power to ask that young person, why are you breaking curfew? And what are you doing? And we know that if they have a firearm, that it's like oil and water. Now you've got a cop in a situation with a young African American with a gun that might end up in a tragic situation. Whether we have the elected to turn their back on that cop that then scares all police officers to go, wow, I don't want my life destroyed. And I'm going to end by saying, on this little piece with you, Sloan, we saw it happen. We had a young African American male in a stolen car running with a firearm that tragically right, My condolences to the family, but the but the officer made the right decision, and we have a young person who lost his lost his life. The next day, the father takes his car and kills the sheriff who's there, you know, doing traffic, who's retired, has has children that he's adopting. Right during the UC graduation, what happened slowly, You heard nothing from the nine members of council. You heard no denouncement of it. You didn't hear anything from the mayor, no denouncemit of it. And then we got to go fund me account for the killer, saying let's give him money, and then people saying I for an eye and tooth for tooth, with no no response from the.
Speaker 1: Nothing, no one talking about that. And on Friday, Chris Chris Smithman, the footage leaked out. Finally, it's been three months since the July brawl. Uh, the surveillance would have comes out at basketball kick geyin and said, you clearly see there's a blackmail striking the white guy in the back of the head. And of course the viral moment was picked up when he turned and started slapping someone four or ten retaliation. We heard that they were harassed. Racial epitats were thrown at them. It was intolerable, the racism. But it only goes one way in Cincinnati, and that can only be that blacks are the victim of racism. There's no comments whatsoever. They sat on this thing. Finally it leaks out a couple of days before the election, and that's politics, I suppose, But the fact of the matter, it wasn't released through the proper public records requests, and when you have something like this, it's going to leak out. The days of sitting on something are gone. I'm surprised it's taken this long. The issue here, though, is what is the city's policy regarding public safety, the footage and transparency with taxpayers, because you feel there is none unless it fits a particular preconceived narrative.
Speaker 2: You and I know that if the roles were reversed and there were five African Americans being beat in the middle of our downtown, there would have been a different response naturally based on what happened, and people wouldn't be sitting around in this council and this mayor would have had a completely different response. That's number one. Number two, we also know that the mayor and the members of council should have requested to take If I was the vice mayor, I served, I was chair of law in public safety, all you have to do is go to that investigator, and the investigators were signaling, listen, we shouldn't press charges, which is a part of this conversation because you have members of council hold press conferences and say what, I got one in the chamber. You got forty eight hours to respond, and you better arrest somebody white. Well, guess what, there's a captain out there who signed off on something. They arrested somebody white. That person now has a lawyer. You know that the charges are going to be dropped in December after the election, and you know that that person's gonna sue because you called him a racist and you've tried to destroy his life. But guess what you got, Council Member Parks, you said they deserve to get the men she saw on council and Holly who somebody. You know, when I saw the video Slown, I thought she was dead. That's there's no question, the way she was punched so violently. My point to you and everybody listening, Look, this shows you that we could have had some type of racial explosion in our downtown Bay from the conduct of the nine members of council and the mayor. Here's what I think happened. I think that they saw the video, they knew what was happening, and they were pushing to the speculation they're pushing the election, trying to divide us racially, so they wanted the energy in the African American community, the Democrats to go take sample ballots, believing that they were harmed, that they were victims in some kind of way, and the reality was that the people who are the real victims are the white citizens who were down there who got the hell beat out of them for nothing.
Speaker 1: Christopher Schmitherman, who's running we'll find out tomorrow or tomorrow night if indid he winds up getting a council seat. We were all outrage at what transpired to what happened in Lincoln Heights, relative to the neo Nazis who were protesting on the overpass, how the situation was handled, how the audacity and the thoughts of the people who are doing the protesting the Nazis, we collected, we're all outraged about this, and yet we should be outrage about this to the same level, to the same degree because of what happened. Racism shouldn't be tolerated. But sadly there's an asterisk there. It feels like it's tolerated when it's a block on white but not so much when it's white on black.
Speaker 2: TONI I think we should be more outraged. I think it's worse, and I'll explain why I think it's worse. First of all, I denounced what happened in Lincoln Heights. You know, my family is from the South. My grandfathers understood the clan. They were dicticrat, they were democrat and they were down there trying to stop African Americans from voting in the South. And thank god we had the North and the South and lost hundreds of thousands of our Americans who fought in one of the bloodiest civil wars ever in our history, and that ultimately freed us through the President Lincoln and all that history. But at the end of the day, we had the mayor, we had the members of council, we had the city manager, we had the city solicitor's office, all complicit in hiding this video that came from three CDC. That's very different than the average citizen walking around who's acting like a fool, saying they're a skin head and going out and engaging in domestic terrorism. And I announced it, and I think it's horrible, but we can't look around that. We had a mayor and members of council who had to have known that the entirety of that video existed, with the cameras right there looking at it, to say, let's bring the video in and see what happened. Clearly, there was an African American man who punched that man in the back of his head. And most people, Sloany, who are listening to you and I talk right now, they haven't even seen the video because CNN and places like Fox and all those they haven't gone back and taken the video and said, whoa, let's correct the record. This is actually what happened, and that is why this young this person who was beat up, who now the city councilor and the city solicitor said hey, go and arrest him. And I actually believe this is one of the reasons that Fiji is being terminated because she wasn't playing with this manager and playing with this mayor. Remember she refused to sign off on the arrest warrant. The captain who is now the chief signed off on it. Yes, I have no idea where this is going to go, but the reality of it is something happened that should not have happened. We start playing politics with the law, and the mayor and council are absolutely complicit in this.
Speaker 1: And it goes deeper than that. This is kind of a little of a side that Kevin Farmer, this is a guy got arrested over the weekend and Rosemary Oglesby Henry is a congressional candidate both black Kevin and I don't know what their relationship was, but he was talking or going to anyway. This is a while ago. To illustrate what you're saying is and he's campaigning, he wants to run or was running anyway for the same seat that you want. Christopher Smithman, and he accused, and this is about a month ago, made no news whatsoever, accused black women of routinely making false allegations of violence against black men, saying we have to worry about white America and we have to worry about black women. I's other comment. The naac responded and defended black women. Not a word was said about the the the avert racism, the direct racism, the part of a council candidate saying we've got to worry about white people. White people are the problem, white people are the danger. No one called them out on that. The NAACP didn't, and certainly the reverence like Damon Lynch the third kind of backed up with the NAACP heads. Wait a minute, you can you can go after and classify white people as the enemy is evil and that's why you've got to vote for me, because we've got to destroy white America from the city of Cincinnati, and no one said anything about this, didn't even make news.
Speaker 2: Look, my father used to say to us at home, every white person isn't your enemy, and every black person is at your friend, correct, And so we're so we're sol bathing in the in this racial component in our society. And I believe that you and I and we've got to have these public conversations to show that we can have these conversations and be close friends. That's part of the problem. Number two. I send my my prayers out to Kevin Farmer and and and and his significant other or his friend, whatever's going on. I have no idea of the fact pattern there, but I send my deepens, my respect and and I hope that this whole thing is sorted out. But at the end of the day, this is very different. When you have a city manager who's probably making over three hundred thousand dollars a year. You've got a mayor right who clearly wants to be the governor or something else, disinterested in our city making six figures. You've got a council collectively that all of them had access to this video, all of them did, and what did they do with it? They came and held press conferences and said, hey, we're gonna do nothing. And let me also before we before I get too far away from this, I don't want to I don't want to miss that. We had Cassandra win, a mother of five in OTR who was shot in the back, and we still don't know who killed her. And so Ronda Wynn, who I have had communications with the mother, is very she's grieving because we do not have the killer. We have a picture of somebody who shot as she tells me thirty times, right where where are the African American leaders calling and working with us to find who killed Cassandra wyn We are silent on these issues. We've got to put a voice to him. And then I want to say, for Sarah Herringer and her husband Patrick, who would ever believe that we would have somebody who had some type of electronic device on their ankle who took it off. Sloane who's walking around our city. No one seems to know where the hell he is. He shows up on Sarah's front door, on Patrick's store and kills Patrick. This is a guy who did two tours. And guess what our mayor, during a debate or that press conference, was asked, how you reached out to these victims. I don't have time to do that. I don't do that. I don't reach out to the victims I'm saying to everybody listening. And I said this before. I went to the School for Creative and Performing Arts and one of the plays we did was the Wig. Let me tell you something. This guy reminds me of the Scarecrow without a brain. He reminds me of the Lion without courage. He reminds me of the ten Man without a Heart, all the trilogy all together, and he is actually the Wizard of Awe. He's out there playing like he knows what he's doing, and he doesn't. And the problem is we're dealing with people's lives slowly. This is one of the most consequential elections in my life time.
Speaker 1: I bring this all together, the thing with Farmer and this, and the fact of the matter is, just like it, racism only works one and that's not true. I don't think that's bringing the city together. I think that's it's petty and it's vindictive. It's the visive and you're not elevating people. You see it. You have your worldview, you're not changing your mind. On the other hand, we had the shooting over the weekend with seven people shot in two different shooting. Well, I guess three if you count to Carthage in two different spots, but the one and over the line in particular, it's Halloween. People are out reveling, having a good time partying, and then gunshots ring out about one o'clock in the morning. I'm told that there have been multiple calls to this bar. This particular bar has been a problem for months now, and again we're back to that issue where the governor is going to send in some help with liquor control and all that and shut out the bad actors. We talked about hookah lounges and stuff like that. We got these clubs that are open till, you know, three four o'clock in the morning, doing what you want to do. But the food trucks, of course, are the problem. I got to shut those down because someone getting a hot dog is the criminal, not the people are who are selling after hours. But I don't know if that's the case with this bar and over the Rhine, but I'm told that there have been multiple service calls and multiple concerns about the people that were in and around this particular establishment. If you turn a blind eye towards that, and let's just say that the owners of this club, the privy that I understand they had a couple of armed security guards. They were wanding people when they came in, make sure they have anything on them. I don't know how much more as a business owner you can do. But what about the fact that you have multiple calls of service there and it's been a problem, and yet you could kind of see that this something like this might happen. This is preventable if the city would have been stricter and tougher enforcement and policing. Correct, that would be correct.
Speaker 2: And what I will say to you is that I don't know the fact patterns behind this particular establishment, but if elected, I certainly would find out what those fact patterns are. And the way you do this is you go through Law and public safety. We have a Chair of Law and Public Safety, which is council member Scottie Johnson, and you have a hearing where you bring the owners in of the establishment and you begin to ask them questions, and you make sure that the police department in this establishment has some type of plan in writing to deal with the issue, and if it's not dealt with, then you deal with the establishment. So I don't know why there hasn't been a public hearing about it right. For example, I don't know why there hasn't been a public hearing about the terminator the fire chief, or or public hearing about the determination of the police chief. Meaning these things are happening and you can't find a council member with a search warrant. I don't know if they come and give you interviews, but I want you to share with you. Normal protocol in these situations is for your elected officials to come on the air like this and have public conversations. That's what we do. And for whatever reason, this council is hiding behind a sample ballot. They're just wanting people to vote for them blindly vote here's the sample ballot. And if we do that tomorrow, elections have consequences. That's what we will get.
Speaker 1: The same probab. I think there's gonna be counsel people that pay the price. And again, Chris, simath them and watch your vote tomorrow, always saying a mouthful, but you know you need somebody in there, quite honestly to interpret that to enforce Yeah, you got you have no choice at this point. All the best, I gotta get going. Good luck tomorrow, Chris, All the best to you, all right, take care. Yeah, there you go, so vote your conscience. But you know, if you want more of the same, keep doing more the same. We got to get to news. We've got other bad news for you. How about the Bengals. Rappeaan is here a little bit earlier this morning to talk about the historic loss and the question who is going to have their head placed on a stick this morning? Someone has to be sacrificed on the altar of professional sports. Well, the Bengals, pull the trigger and fire someone, make someone accountable. We've talked to him next about it on the Scott's Loan Show seven hundred Wow. Dark days indeed in our city. At Scott's Sloan Show seven hundred Wow. Wish we had better news to start this gloomy time, change moneyday for you, But you know, we had seven people shot in two different occurrences yesterday, one at OTR. Lots to talk about that with Chris Smitheman and council member Seth Walsh coming up on the show this morning. Of course, the other news happening is our Cincinnati Bengals, which is a lot lighter than bloodshed, violence and murder, but still pretty bloody in a different way on the field yesterday is the Bears beat the Bengals forty seven forty two as the Bengals head the limping to the bye of three and six now and you can almost kiss those playoff chances good bye. Cincinnati's worst rank defense did it again. You didn't think they could do it back to back weeks To tell you that it's pretty damn impressive to watch them fail. They come up with new ways to fail. As you know, Cincinnati is in the cellar now and look it up and it's not good. James Rapeene here with SI Bengals Talk dot com Lockdown Bengals Podcast. James, how do you top the worst loss of the Zach Taylor era with an even more historic loss yesterday? I didn't think that was possible.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I h.
Speaker 4: You're right, I agree, Scott, And honestly I thought after what happened last week that when they were rallying, I literally thought, oh, well, this is the football guys paying them back, saying you know what, you guys should have won last week, you didn't, We're gonna make sure you win this week. You get an on side kick after scoring his knees down on the interception, would have put them up three scores. Like all these things happen in the final few minutes of this game. It gives the Bengals a chance.
Speaker 3: And they take advantage of it and they take the lead. It's just there.
Speaker 4: Happening to be forty nine seconds left and we know that that's far too much time for this Bengals defense. That is I really, I'm not sure that you could tackle anyone listening right, Yeah, Yeah, it's embarrassing how bad it was.
Speaker 1: I have never seen like, literally, you screwed up a story book. And it's not in the script, and it's no Hollywood script, which are that you you score a touchdown. Uh, if you get the you recover the ball kicking on side of recovered, you go ahead and the final two minutes of the game, and right there that should be it. That's that's how it always ends. If you recover and score, it's over. You win. There's no way you lose that game. You screwed up the fairy tale ending. And yet the Bengals did that by a long klea Williams to hit Colston Loveline on the fifty y fifty air touchdown with two guys at least two guys missing tackles.
Speaker 4: Yeah, just tackle tackle. The funny thing is is on podcast after the game as talking about different things.
Speaker 3: And I'm like, you know what's funny.
Speaker 4: No one's talking about them actually giving up a twenty four yard to the rookie tight end.
Speaker 3: It's that they didn't bring him down after they gave up the play.
Speaker 4: Like the bar is so low. We're not even talking about the fact that you gave up the pass that put them in field goal range. It's just all right, if you're going to give that up, can you bring him down? And I truly don't understand. And since the game, I've reached out to some coaches in different personnel just to see, like, all right, hey, coaching, why it's supposed to do here? What are you supposed to do with this? And I know the Bengals do work tackle and at some point the players just have to tackle, you know. It's like it's like a receiver has to catch the ball, like you can do so much. And I think that's kind of where things are now. I'm stunned that they continue to have this issue at the level that they're having this issue. I get it once in a while, really good players, but game on the line, chance for a storybook ending that should have been cold to level and getting hit by five guys and people ripping at the ball and him going down the moment he catches it.
Speaker 1: That Like I said, we joked last week about them throwing hipchecks. I mean, it looks like they're playing hockey not football. As they came into the game, the Bengals did ninety four mistackles six hundred and forty five yards total in the league, which is by farther wors than the league yesterday missed fifteen tackles for another one thirty three, So they're at eight hundred just about eight hundred yards and allow and mistackles allowed extra yards from that initial contact. It hasn't been acceptable all season. And as we've talked about you, that's drafting, that's getting in the talent that by this level you should be able to tackle, and you're not doing it in my opinion. So the million dollar question is in the other thirty one franchises out there, this would be terminal for a head coach or at least someone. The reason I'm having James repeating a little early this morning normally here at eleven thirty as we head in to lunchtime, are that it feels like it's hit critical mass at this point. Two back to back historic law is you've got the buy. I imagine I'll lose in the off week somehow, I'm not quite sure. When Zach Taylor is running out of words, he says, it's sick to lose like that. I feel sick right now. That means you have no answers. Heads have to roll. You were in the locker room afterwards after the loss. How does that compare to last week's collapse?
Speaker 4: Yeah, I think, Oh, I mean it's a good point. Less guys were willing to talk, and I think that defensively, we certainly heard from less guys. I know when we put up our videos and our audio in Cincinnati Bengals, talking was that way, you know on YouTube it was a lot of offensive guys. And look, you're right, I mean, it's it does feel that way that that a move is possible.
Speaker 3: You're also right that it an issue. There's no doubt.
Speaker 1: Someone has to lose their job here. I mean, there's no room for debate. Is that when you have guys? This is from Mike Protaglia said that a bunch of guys who were in on that player in the defense were part of the problem, not the solution. Wouldn't speak after the game somewhere laughing and saying, hey see on Monday, there's no accountability there. Then you see guys like t and Chase and and you know, they're frustrated, they're angry, they're they're bad mouthing the defense. Now it's on rabbits got to be on the reason. I asked you about the locker room, and it feels like from the reports it's been unraveling for a while.
Speaker 4: Yeah, well, it's easy for that to happen when you have two units growing in different directions and you have Jamar, Jamar fighting every inkling that he has, you know, you know, I mean he quietly had one hundred and eleven yard yesterday.
Speaker 3: I thought that was a very quiet Jamar game. And you look up and he's got.
Speaker 4: He's got a hundred guard. He jings obviously made a bunch of plays. And we talked to Jamar after and he's saying like three and four words and it's like we're torturing him, and I don't want to torture Jamar. After the game, that's not my goal. But guess what, he's a leader and people care what he says. People want to know what he thinks. And you know what he thinks. He thinks that the defense sucks and that they need to do their job a little bit. And he hasn't said that, but I know that's what he's thinking, and he was. He was caught on camera when he was walking in the locker room saying, just one bleeping stop, right, and that's what everybody's thinking. Chase Brown said, We'll just finish the game. And it is that simple like and sometimes those things are a simple thing can be hard to carry out and execute and much more easier said than done. But they have to find a way in those situations to get that turnover and get that stock. I mean, they had him on third downright in Caleb Williams runs for fourteen yards and then the very next play is a coastal levelin fifty eight yards.
Speaker 3: So it's this locker room.
Speaker 4: It felt like it was starting to bend before the Joe Blackoch, Yeah, because things.
Speaker 3: Are just spial spiraling out of control.
Speaker 4: It almost in the other way where the offense was just so non functional. They trade for Joe Flacco, and it's completely flipped the other way, where the defense has showed us who they are, the offense has figured it out, and who the defense is very well could be the worst defense in NFL history. That is not me being not me exaggerating. When you look at the numbers, they're they're very much in that conversation.
Speaker 1: James Rapine from si Bengals Talk dot com Lockdown begels and talking about what would feel like the inevitable inevitable in any other NFL city, and that is what is going to happen with the head coach and in this case, uh, maybe Duke Tobin, the guy who essentially gets the players for us, And uh, you know, if if you're bringing guys in and ain't getting it done, I don't know how that's that much on Zach Taylor and the schemes defensively, because we've got two guys, two minds working on that. If you can't tackle, you can't show up, you can't play your position. That feels more like a front office issue in Duke Tobin. And yet there's a guy who's never come I don't think the average person, myself included, could pick Duke Tobin out of a lineup to show you the lack of accountability there. It's always Zach Taylor has to be the guy speaking for him. That's not fair on coach and I don't think it's fair quite honestly for the fan base.
Speaker 4: Totally agree, totally agree. But believe me, I would love love to hear from Duke always and uh that that is not something that we would ever turn down as media. I promise you, no, no, I promise you we would love to hear from Duke today.
Speaker 1: Are accountable. They show up, they answer questions, they do things public appear. This guy, uh you know, talk about the man men behind the curtain, right, he's like it feels like he's protected like a mafia don or something like that. He's surrounded by goons.
Speaker 4: Right, Hey, if those good if those goods can tackle, you give him on you get those guys on the field.
Speaker 1: That's what horrific. It is horrific down there. And you know the other part of the frustration is Bengal season ticket windows open it up and you know, we got news next the ticket prices are going up. I know a lot of people and if you look at social I don't know how accurate that is or not. Could be Russian bots. But if you look at the investment you're asked to make and spend more money on a team this bad, how's that? And that is really the only thing that's going to cause heads to roll, right is typically the family looks at the bottom line, and if people are unhappy and there's a revolt, as we saw with Marvin Lewis, it might cause Zach Taylor's job, but it probably shouldn't be him. It should be Duke Tobin.
Speaker 4: I I agree with you on the surface, right I you know I'm not, But there's so much context that goes into our should this gubby fire? Should this guy or that? Or what should you do? How should you fix that? Here's what I would say, they failed at building this defense top So who had.
Speaker 3: A hand in what? Who was the one stopping on the table for who?
Speaker 4: During the draft when they made draft picks that I got to be honest, when you look at who they could have had in like consensus and rankings and just like the general draft stuff. And I love the draft, they went down the pass that was as risky as any that you could have and they went down a path with guys that probably weren't considered plug and play type players really throughout the draft, even if they are good dudes and work hard and all of those things and so very very much risk.
Speaker 3: They're taking a lot of risk with that.
Speaker 4: And when you combine that with a poor free agency, all right, well, why were they for free agent? Is it Duke's faulted that the ownership's faulted it the coaches saying they didn't like the free agent?
Speaker 3: I don't know. And so that's why I'm not just saying Duke, I'm I'm not trying to.
Speaker 5: Hate for him.
Speaker 4: I'm just trying to get contact. I don't know who made these decisions, but whoever did and who ever said no when I'm sure someone in the building was like me and like, hey, can you add talent? Can you go get this guy or that guy or this guy or that whoever that is certainly deserves to be hard, nototiced, because that's why they're in this position.
Speaker 3: I mean, they should be Scott fi for.
Speaker 4: Winners of three straight three and one with Joe Flacco, second place in the AFC, worth with a real chance to battle the Steelers in two weeks for first place in the division.
Speaker 3: That's where they should be and they're not there, and.
Speaker 4: So they really need to look hard in the mirror and figure out why they failed for multiple years building the defense.
Speaker 3: But certainly this offseason going into this year.
Speaker 1: If you're asking people to buy the product and that is on field, that's the merchandise, that's the season two, that's all that thing. Isn't it fair then to say, well, you know, we saw the ACTIVI of the offense is doing fine. It's the defense it's been a problem. You're in your second coordinator, the results are getting worse. At what point is it fair to question those people who are bringing the talent to Cincinnati? And that would be Tooke Tobin and people in that front office. If you're asking people to support this team and continue to turn out to support the Bengals, is it not fair that there's some accountability and some questions answered on the part of the people who have been silent for years.
Speaker 3: Yeah, it's not a big Drea, It's not a big ask. Totally agree, Totally agree. They stunk in the draft.
Speaker 4: Like I said, I think I follow the draft and try to fuck and cover the draft in a way that is unique to anyone in Cincinnati, and that covers the Bengals and do it as extensively as I can.
Speaker 3: And they have been so bad.
Speaker 4: At drafting compared to what they could have had, and a lot of it isn't kindsight. Like I've said, fans are smarter than ever, media members can be smarter than ever when it comes to the draft because there's so much info and there is so much info you can get, and so by draft day, I feel like I know the first three rounds like the back of my hand. And for them to end up with what they had and they ended up with versus what they could have had just this year, I mean this is a multi year problem, but just this year. I mean they've invested so many picks. Three of their first of their last four first rounders Scott have been defensive players to pass rush, a safety, and now corner like. They've invested two second round picks in corners. They invested two picks this year in mine back like they've invested in the defense, and they're either poor picks they can't develop them, or a mixture of both. And firing Lou clearly didn't worse.
Speaker 1: Arguably, I mean, it's uh, you know, a loss is still a loss. And I look at this, I think many Bengals fans do, and you throw your hands up in apathy, going, we're this close to the super bowling a couple of years ago and now this something's got to change. And quite obviously going to the bye week, I think the silence down there by not doing it, doing something and addressing this is really hurt because I mean the players go their separate ways to the bye week for a little while anyway, doesn't that just bring more animosity when they come back. It's gonna make it worse because you're going to steal on that through the time off you had.
Speaker 3: Sure will.
Speaker 4: You know, if you're an offensive player, you're going to see your family during the bye You're probably going to go home or your hometown and guess what, your your buddies at the hole in the wall bar a man that defense, Oh my god, I don't.
Speaker 3: In on defense. They're gonna make faces and like, oh that's a tough one, huh.
Speaker 1: Like you know, like, yeah, it's gonna be therapeutic. You're gonna come back and be pissed more pissed off, probably because you're in your own head about it real quick, James. The odds that something happens today, never say never, but are we going to see something? There's got to be some sort of symbolic move the Bengals do to appease the fan baser.
Speaker 4: The thing is is they don't react that way.
Speaker 3: And I don't think that's necessarily a bad thing.
Speaker 4: A lot of franchises in the NFL react with emotion, and usually I think that they they get it wrong. I don't know, person I don't know what firing Al Golden does. Yep, I don't because he can't physically go out there and make Jordan battle right right, all right? For those that want that gone, fine, that could happen. I just don't think it's gonna happen today. And I don't I still don't know what that doest it other than make a move to make a move. But one that's interesting is do and if they look at it and they say, man, we really don't have the talent. And I'm not saying that would happen today. I think that would happen at the end of the year. I think any of these moves would happen at the end of the year. Sair enough, I want to dismiss any of them, but I'm not anything's gonna happen today, which means that it'll happen probably five minutes after.
Speaker 3: I get off.
Speaker 1: All right, James, all the best, buddy, I know we got to get going round a light. Appreciate it. Thanks Nana. Well, if something breaks out, you'll break in. James Rapeen with Bengals Talks, bengalstock dot Com of course locked on Bengals the Daily Podcast. All the best, Thanks, Thanks God. Just when you think it can't get any worse, it does. Home of the Best Bengals covered seven hundred w DOWD Cincinnat.
Speaker 6: Do you want to be an American?
Speaker 2: All right?
Speaker 1: Scott flowing back on seven hundred WWDE Can we have any more like awful news going on this Monday morning? Not how we want to wake up when we if we didn't get an hour's sleep. But at the same time, you know winter is here and it's going to be depressing and dark, and of course he had the Bengals the kind of pels and can comparis into the serious nature of seven people shot in and around Cincinnati on Saturday, literally at one o'clock in the morning in OTR gun violence rang out in front of the Privy Bar on Elm Street, steps away from Rhenggeist by the way. And keep in mind a lot of people reveling because it's Halloween. They're dressed up, they're in costume. You have college kids, young people, middle aged people, older people having a good time. The gunfire rings out in front of this bar. And I just got this video and I shared it via my Facebook page at Scott Sloane in on ex A's Scott Sloane and it comes from a reliable source, an individual who lives in the neighborhood. It is a Sunday morning and I'll describe it for you if you want to see it for yourself. It's too unreal to believe in the city that hours after an investigation into the shots fired, we have the image laying in the grass literally across the street, steps away from the Privy nightclub. In the grass is a handgun just lying there. It's got dew on it, it's got rain on it, whatever it might be do or a moisture. And the individuals like I live in the neighborhood describing the fact that they had this investigation of shooting and there's a gun lying there.
Speaker 2: Now.
Speaker 1: Could the gun have been thrown there after the shooting? It possibly, but it makes one question maybe how thin the resources are and what the priorities are. And you've got so many people running around trying to police and do what they're doing, and with limited, by the way limited resources, one could ask did that thing get missed during the shooting investigation? It is. It's chilling to see. And also, you know, you could see the kind of crowd that you know, mingles out there. It's not good. Listen, I'm off far but having a good time and I don't care. But you know, when you have to have armed security guards, when you have to have people with metal detectors making sure that you don't get in there with guns and weapons, that's a problem. And why is that allowed? Why is that permitted? As I understand it that this is a problem with this club, it's been going on for months now and it yet to be addressed. And now we've got a gun literally lying in front of the club, or a shooting happened just hours ago. This is what we're facing here in Cincinnati. Joined the show on seven hundred Wow. She's Betsy brandtnor Smith with the National Police Association, because I want to get some perspective and just maybe how to whack Cincinnati is compared to comparable cities for the rest of the country. Betsy, welcome back, are you hey.
Speaker 6: It's great to be with you, and I'm so glad you're talking about this because so many big blue cities around the country are dealing with this exact same issue violent crime, you know, gun crime in an area where there are all these gun laws that are supposed to take care of this. So yeah, Cincinnati is unfortunately right up.
Speaker 1: There are ween outlier compared to comparable cities. I mean, I feel we live here. We don't get to see you think it's awful right now because I had you on after the beatdown, the July brawl. We've had the police chief fired. We have shootings on Fountain Square, which is iconic. Everyone knows about Fountain Square and the Genius of Water Statue. That is the literally, if you're to drop a pin on the map where Cincinnati is, that the tip of that pin would be right through the heart of the Genius of Water Statue. That's the town center basically, and people are out there having a good time in gunfire. And then on Thursday night football when the Steelers are in town, we had an individual shot steps away following the game. And now this seven shooting. Seven people shot, including what I just described in front of a nightclub with a gun lying there the morning after in the grass. When you look at other cities, I mean, how how comparable are we because it feels like there's no way it could be worse than other cities.
Speaker 6: Well, you're not worse in the cities obviously, Memphis, Tennessee, Chicago, Illinois, New York City, larger cities, you know, so you do have less violent crime than cities like that. But the problem is in Cincinnati, like in some of these other cities, is you've had this almost decade long emphasis on things like restorative justice and racial justice and all that. And then in twenty twenty and twenty twenty one, we had the George Floyd situation where law enforcement was vilified, prosecutors were encouraged to spend more time worrying about criminals than crime victims, and we talked about race, race, race, and we stopped talking about stopping crime and helping victims. So in that light, Cincinnati is right up there with other big blue cities, and it's really unfortunate because Cincinnati is such a beautiful city.
Speaker 1: It feels like at this point it's starting to get away from this. You know, during the summer months, we see a spike for obvious reasons. Young people are out gun crimes, juveniles are committing violent crimes and violent lects. Usually that settles down when the weather gets a little bit cooler. But we've now steamrolled into this being October and all that with all these people downtown for Halloween and now seven people shot this weekend. In particular, we as you know, Betsy fired a police chief, or at least she's unpaid administrative leave, whatever the hell that means. And it's going to be two months to find out why the city fired her in the first place. That can't be helpening elsewhere where you fight. Essentially fire the police chief and then look for reasons as to why you fired her. It's going to take two months and spend about forty fifty thousand dollars in tax para money.
Speaker 6: No, you're you're right about that, and she, you know, again, why was she fired? You know, maybe her response wasn't the best when it came to you guys making international news. But you know, she came up from inside. She seems to know what she's doing, and it seems to be a real knee jerk reaction. But again, we prefer to wait until the investigation is over. But in the meantime, you have people that are being victimized, and how do you stop that, how do you stop this gun crime? You put people in prison. Punishment works, And that's the problem that you have in Cincinnati, like in so many other big blue cities, is we've stopped punishing criminals. We worry way more about their feelings than we do about the feelings of the crime victims, and we stopped really paying attention to law. Restorative justice is which means we worry more about the criminal than the crime victim. Restorative justice is one of the worst things to happen to this nation and also to happen to Cincinnati. And you can look around Ohio and you can see how other cities deal with crime, how other counties deal with crime, and very often they do a better job. But Cincinnati, unlike some other larger cities, is extremely salvageable, and that's what people need to focus on.
Speaker 1: You know, what we see in the crime. The folent crime isn't up necessarily in certain areas. It is like areas we're talking about property crime is through the roof, that's like up sixty percent. But is that pat in common in other cities? And what about the divergence that indicates about the underlying crime issues that we have.
Speaker 6: When you look at crime statistics, almost every city you look at, crime is down. But the problem with that is it's reported crime. Forty three percent of crimes in this country go unreported because people have given up. And when you have a police department that's short staff, like Cincinnati does, when you have a police department that is beleiaguered like Cincinnati has, people don't even bother to report every you know, many many crimes. And it's extraordinary to hear that property crime is up because that's the crimes that often go unreported. So I would guess your property crime problem is off the hook. You also have a juvenile crime problem that, in my opinion, isn't being properly dealt with. We have got to look at juveniles, we have to look at them differently. That's appropriate, but they also need to be punished.
Speaker 1: Betsy Brightner Smith of the National Police Association on the show on seven hundred W but kind of like a national perspective on what's happening in Cincinnati with the seven people shot over the weekend, in the steady drum beat of violence. It feels like we had the leak of the police video on Friday, and that would substantiate the fact that the alert Schabnovski hit that the white guy, he was the victim in this whole thing, was attack from behind, and that was not shared because it didn't lead the narrative about how race crimes actually work. It was a black guy punching him in the back of the head. He turns around starts slapping people. But that's what we saw, and that's as sick thing as anything else because of all this violence. We don't need to add racial animosity this whole thing, but that was of course ginned up by a lot of the people who are not only seeking your vote but seeking power in the city. Is that the racism is a one way street. It's always white on block, not the other way around. And we could admit that regardless of who you are, what you look like, what you stand for, that we have racists among us and it's up to the good people to stand up. Then you could actually solve problems. But that's not happening right now in our city. And I look at the gun laying outside the club. That's not a good look for CPD. I just posted this on my Facebook and x feeds Betsy Brandner Smith that someone shared with me. They were out the next morning after the shooting at the club and OTR and literally across the street from the club there was a handgun looks like a nine millimeter handgun laying on the grass right in front of the club. People are going to look at the police and go, how the hell could you miss a gun unless the gun was thrown there after the crime, after the police had left, But that's probably unlikely.
Speaker 6: Well, and that's the thing, and we really don't know. I assume there are cameras outside of this club, and I assume that, well, we'll know. But you're right, it's not a good look. But you know, the Cincinnati Police Department used to be one of the best in the country, and they have so many good people and good leaders. The problem is is, again they have been themselves beaten down by political leadership. And this is why elections are so very important when you go to the you know, people, when you go to the polls tomorrow. We don't tell you how to vote, but I want you to think about how you're living in the city of Cincinnati, and this is the same thing, and we're seeing all around the country. New York's a great example. You know, who is going to give you a safer life in your city because a lot of people are moving, but people who can't afford to move are stuck, and they're the ones who become the victims. And we hear so much about oh people, you know, poor people are you know, they commit crimes because of this, and that most people are not criminals. Cops know this, the media knows this, even if they don't want to talk about it. Most people are just trying to live their lives. We have got to root out the criminals, punish them, incarcerate them, and then everybody needs to be able to live their lives in a nice, open society like we were able to do forty years.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, you know. To make this a racial element of the race, the biggest victims of these crimes by these individuals are black women. In particular, black community suffer the most when you talk about these gun crimes and the like, not not always because we have shootings. Believe me, speaking for white America, I mean it's not like we have all the problems solved either. We got plenty of problems for sure, But the violence issue affects us all regardless of where it had. Don't care where it happens, I just care that it is happening. And when a gun is laying on in the street basically of Cincinnati hours after shooting, it's a bad look again for our community and to the missteps continue to go. And not only that, a lot of the complaints are unanswered by this administration, be the city manager and the mayor. Is if we simply don't acknowledge it, it'll go away. And all we hear is out how tough on crime we're going to be, while all the while judges are letting people out who should be locked up. That's exactly what you're talking about, Betsy Brandner Smith the National Police Association. I'm willing bet that those involved in the shootings over the weekend have had something in their jacket that would prohibit them from having the firearm. You've almost bet the House on it. It happened in just about every case we've had so far. Why would this be different.
Speaker 6: Well, and I'm going to guess that the vast majority of them have probably had lots of police contact before, lots of judiciary contact before. And this is the problem that we're seeing around the nation, and you're seeing it in Cincinnati as well. As people are not being punished because what we're saying is societally, punishment is bad. We can't punish people. We just need to understand them and hold their hand and realize that they weren't breastfed long enough and things like that. And it's ridiculous because again, most people do not commit crimes, rich, poor, black, white, whatever. We need to root out the criminals, punish them, and go back to a sane society. And that's why it's so important to vote, and to vote for your own safety, not for some political party or not because you don't like the guy in the White House. Think about your own life and is your political leadership doing right by you a citizen of Cincinnati.
Speaker 1: I was say in Cincinnati, know that that too much of emphasis is put on stuff that you mentioned and the whole deal. Listen, inclusivity. I'm all for the best person for the job, open it up and let the market decide him. A free market kind of guy. But the idea when Terry Thiji, before she was fired three years ago, she was named police chief and her biggest concern was about what I'm talking about here. Wasn't about improving the police force, more cops on the street, stuff like that, important stuff like that. The administration didn't want to do that. They wanted to focus on inclusivity and all those things. And the end result is when you ignore the police department and don't feed it and care and nurture for it, things like this happened because there's a criminal element out there, and not again I think that you'd admit there's different tiers of criminals, but you just encourage this kind of predatory, sociopathic behavior where people simply we've had shootings here, Betsy, where there's cops standing there and they still wind up shooting. They don't care about their lives or almost around just their immediate needs. I'm tired of hearing about being on your own recognizance and they're going to get a job and just promise never to do it again. The same people go out with an ankle monitor and shoot folks, just like what happened in front of the in between after the Thursday night Bengals gave guy had an ankle monitor on when he fired shots. It's unprecedented.
Speaker 6: Well, it absolutely is. And this is why your police officers, before they engage in situations like that, and the criminals know this. Your police officers have to think not only about their own lives and the lives of people around them, but they have to think, am I going to be bilified? Am I going to be demonized? Am I going to be prosecuted simply for doing my job? Even when usuforce is justified And you're so right about the chief. So much was made, you know, when she was promoted to chief and all that, and there was so much talk about diversity and inclusion and this Matt Well, now all of a sudden, she's not so diverse, we're not so inclusive, and she's on paid leave until we figure out a way to demonize her for our own political and administrative mistake.
Speaker 1: She is a Betty Brandner Smith National Police Association, So we're not an outlier. We're not different than anybody else. If this is happening out of the City's got to help us. But there is an election tomorrow. We'll see. It's going to be interesting tomorrow. I guess it would be on Wednesday to find out exactly what the outcome because I would think that the voters are going to make somebody pay. I'm not quite sure it's going to be the mayor though. We'll find out what happens. But Betsy, all the best, Thanks for jumping on this morning.
Speaker 6: Thanks for having me. Cincinnati is a beautiful city. I know it well. It's worth saving everybody.
Speaker 3: Savior city, take care.
Speaker 1: Thank you. We've got to get a news update in. We've got lots going on, and you know, more sad news of the weekend. A long time member of seven hundred w that would actually one of the cornerstones of the granddaddy's sport stock, Bob Trump be passing away at the age of eighty and I crossed Trump's pass with Trump many times working in then at Mount Adams. When i'd come in I was doing the nine at midnight show years and years and years ago, and I first started here and I'd see him on Thursday nights when doing some Bengals talk and I'd walk in the studio and have great conversations with Bob Trumpy about football and a bunch of other things. Just a great guy and sad to hear that iron Bob Trump. He passed way. Of course he went on to after sports Stock. He wanted to do stuff like NBC called Super Bowls, Olympics Hall of Famer Bob Trumpy passing away at the age of eighty and remembering here on the place he got his started. Media is right here on the home of the best Bengals coverage seven hundred WW Cincinnati. Everyone needs help every now and then, and she's here to help us get our heads right. This is Mental Health Monday with mental health expert Julie Hadtershire. Yeah, I wish we had better news on this day with we had shootings we have of course what happened on the field with the Bengals, and just a lot of doom and gloom out there. And that's compounded by the fact that, yeah, we got an extra hour of sleep last night, but the dividends will be paid for the coming days and weeks. For some people when it comes to the fact, the sad fact that like Johnny cash In fulsome prison. We're not going to see the sun since I don't know when. Joining the show is Julie H from b Connected out Care Jewels. Good morning, Julie there standby. We got issues here, Julia there, there we go. I don't know what's going on. Even the phones don't want to work today, even the phones are depressed.
Speaker 5: I was talking, I could hear you.
Speaker 7: Sorry about that.
Speaker 1: Oh no, that's that's not on you. That's on that's on us, maybe because of like maybe our sleep schedules are screwed up.
Speaker 3: I don't know, screwed up.
Speaker 1: We got all this damn bad news, and then on top of that, we we lose all our sunshine. Now, it was nice to wake up this morning, but you know what's coming. That's the sad part. You go, I'm not going to see the sun in a while here pretty soon.
Speaker 5: Yeah, it's really hard on people. It is really hard on people. Some people take it better than others, and for some people the fall time change is easier.
Speaker 7: Than the springtime change.
Speaker 5: But regardless, we know that what happens in our bodies and in our brains, it impacts us. Whether we cope better with it than other people do or not. It's a big deal and it happens twice the year, so we've got to get used to it.
Speaker 3: But I don't like it.
Speaker 1: Well, this one's worse, I think because you have hope, right, does it work that with your body? Like, hey, I know that the long days are coming because we do this in the spring and we lose in our sleep. We go, Okay, God, it's going to suck right now. But in a few weeks it means summer's here. There's some relief. This means that it feels like you're going to prison almost maybe a little bit extreme, but I think for a lot of people it's true.
Speaker 5: Well you know, for some people that is extreme, but for other people. Fall is a lovely season objectively for most people. But people who really struggle with winter, fall is the precursor to that and to be beginning of their really hardest time. There are people who really really struggle in the dark and the cold of winter. And now we know it's coming, And you're right, there's less daylight in our lives, particularly for those people who work a normal eight to five, nine to five job. You're inside at work during the daylight hours, you leave in the dark, you come home in the dark, and it's really difficult.
Speaker 1: Let's talk about the actual measured health impact. Is there's sevel right.
Speaker 6: There are.
Speaker 5: There are quite a few, in fact, so cardiovascularly, it has a huge impact on increased number of heart attacks and strokes after each time change, consistently up to a twenty four percent a recent hospital study in Michigan twenty four percent increase in heart attacks.
Speaker 7: On the Monday following the switch.
Speaker 3: That's huge, that's big.
Speaker 7: That's really really.
Speaker 1: Big heart attacks because of the time change. Now I thought, well, I got an extra hour sleep, I should be good. But that's not true.
Speaker 5: Well, you know, you know, there's what we perceive is happening. There's what actually is happening in our bodies. So our bodies run on a circadian clock, and the circadian clock is timed as animals. Bodies are time to the light in the darkness, and when we frequently shift our body clock, it has negative impacts.
Speaker 7: So we see this on shift workers.
Speaker 5: We see this in people who travel regularly for work across multiple time zones. We see decreased health in those people, in large part because of the circadian rhythm differential that they have to shift they shift their phases of sleep and wake. Also, though done over time, they can come to adapt to that. But for the rest of us, who only shift it basically twice a year or infrequently, it can have really significant negative impacts. So I'm not a doctor. I can't explain this to you greater detail than that, but I can tell you that there is documented evidence that strokes go up maybe eight percent in the first couple of days afterward, and heart attacks go up significantly in the first couple of days after a time shift.
Speaker 1: Okay, so how do you prevent that? If your heart's palpitating, you're beating real fast right now, you're sweating, and your arms are going numb, we'll call nine one one. But before you get to that, what do you have to do?
Speaker 5: Well, one of the things that we're starting to understand is helpful is to prepare ourselves for that. So I don't know if you, before you went to Australia did what some people who travel.
Speaker 7: Long distances across multiple time zones do.
Speaker 5: If they start preparing their body for the time they're going to be in by going to bed later or going to bed earlier, by getting up later or getting up earlier start shifting a few days beforehand into their new time zone.
Speaker 1: No, I'm dumb. I would never do that. I'd never do that. I'm stupid you.
Speaker 3: At all.
Speaker 6: Well, one of the.
Speaker 5: Things that we recommend is if you are some one who you who knows that this time change really impacts you, and it really impacts me. Not with a heart attack, but just generally I don't feel as well for the week afterwards. I try to start shifting my sleep cycle and my weight cycle to be more like the time that I'm going to be in versus the time that I'm currently living in. Then ins of abrupt shift, so gradually changing because we know that this is coming and we can predict it, can be really helpful.
Speaker 1: Well if you can. But most people, you know, you still have to work and then you go okay, and then I got to pack and I got to make sure everything's in. I'm all excited about traveling. You know, as you're talking about that, I know some people and there's people listening who are in the business of traveling a lot. And you're going to different countries different times. You know, P and G notorious for that. Does that shape yours off your life?
Speaker 5: I think there's evidence to indicate it has some pretty significant medical impacts.
Speaker 1: Yes, I know third work and third shift does.
Speaker 5: Oh yes, absolutely does, and shifting time zones like that. Our bodies are not designed to do that, and our modern technology allows it, but our bodies are not actually physically designed to do that. So it creates stress in our body, It creates differences in cortisol levels, it creates differences in our serotonin levels, which is one of the neuroreceptors neurotransmitters used for mood regulation. And so these differences over long periods of time can have negative consequences. And I believe that there now studies about protocols for how to help people who have shift work or who travel across multiple time zones regularly, to help them manage that better. But it's something that needs to be carefully managed because our bodies don't adapt to that. Anybody who's traveled internationally and has jet lag knows that it can take you twenty four to thirty six hours to sort of get back in the groove again, and then when you come back home the same thing can be true.
Speaker 1: She's Julie Hatas Share, our licensed mental health expert Monday more. It's always Julie of course, talking about mental health Monday at the Be Connected Care. The time change. Yeah, it's okay right now because you've got a next hour sleep, But you know you still feel effects of this too, because heart attrack rates are up, motor vehicle accidents. Your mental health starts to stuffer at that, you get because if you can't handle the sleep very well, there's depression. Seasonal effective disorder is a huge one.
Speaker 5: It is, and that is triggered by the time change and exacerbated by the increased darkness. So seasonal effective disorder is our body's response to not having enough sunlight in our day, and people feel that in many different ways. People who live in communities that are not very sunshiny, like Seattle, often have a low level of seasonal effective disorder year round. People who live in areas that are more sunshiny, and then once winter comes they get less of it becomes more acute. So you can have it sort of consistently or you can have it acutely, depending upon the seasonal change. But our bodies need sunlight. It helps with mood regulation, it helps with sleep regulation, it helps with stress levels, cortisol levels. It helps with adrenaline. It is important for us to have sunshine in our lives, and when we go to work in the dark and come home in the dark and we're not outside during the day, it's a problem. Those sunlamps really do help.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I've got a happy any bright light, yeah, yeah, because it has to be when a certain spectrum.
Speaker 5: Correct exactly, it has to be within a certain spectrum. You have to use it ideally at particular times of day, four particular lengths of time in order to mimic the impact of sunlight through your eyes, which has a huge effect on your brain. So it's not just about sitting under any light.
Speaker 7: It's about the.
Speaker 5: Type of light that sunlight is coming through your eyes and hitting your brain. You can get that just also by ten or fifteen minutes outside with no sunglasses on, if it's not terribly bright.
Speaker 1: Yeah, okay, So it's just the sun, the effect of the sun itself, the vitamin D, the things that brings with it. You mentioned different times of the day when you should be exposed. What are you talking what's optimal first.
Speaker 5: Thing in the morning, before you start your day. Ideally fifteen to thirty minutes of sunlight, because that triggers your body into recognizing that it's awake and time to work now, and your brain starts creating all of those hormones that you need in order to go through your day and do a really good job going through your day.
Speaker 7: And then sometimes.
Speaker 5: If you have a slump in the middle of the day, that's another really good time to get some sunlight through your eyes because that will again stimulate your brain to produce the hormones that provide energy and cognition and keep you sharp and focused. And then later at night, as you're starting to wind down, you want to decrease blue lights so screen time, and increase warm light in your home, and then that makes the transition to sleep easier and makes your sleep more RESTful so that you can get up the next day and do it again.
Speaker 1: All right, So what about that? She you mentioned the sleep shifting and getting used to this thing, But how often should you? What about naps? I think that's a good one too, because it feels like, you know, especially when it's gray and darken, we just want to curl up and heaven, Well, why do naps get such a bad rap?
Speaker 5: I don't know why naps got such a bad rap. But I also don't know why sleep got such a bad rap. I mean, do you remember back in the days when people used to say, I'll sleep when I'm dead, and people used to brag about getting by on three or four.
Speaker 7: Hours of sleep a night.
Speaker 5: And we know physiologically and mentally and emotionally that we most of us need seven to nine hours of sleep a night, good quality sleep. So if you are someone who needs a nap in the middle of the day, what the recommendation currently is is that you don't go for more than about thirty minutes you take a power nap. Anything more than that you're getting into a full sleep cycle. And if you interrupt a full sleep so that leaves you feeling groggier and more disconnected than before you went in.
Speaker 7: And so fifteen to.
Speaker 5: Thirty minutes is ideal for most people, and just one of those a day to kind of boost your energy and boost your mood can be real. I don't know why NAP's got a bad rap, for that.
Speaker 1: Have to be when I appear and work ethic, right, and somehow you're napping your slacker right, Well, I.
Speaker 5: Mean there is that, although I remember there were a few times in my life when I would take my lunch hour and go to my car and nap for thirty minutes, and then get back into the office and work again because I was so tired. You can't really nap at your desk. I go hang out in my car and nap and then come back in.
Speaker 1: I don't know about the napping cubes. I just the people I work with. I don't want to lay where they lay. You know what to say, I do know what you mean.
Speaker 6: Wow, I'm lucky.
Speaker 7: I have a couch in my office.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 3: I could lay down on my couch if I needed.
Speaker 1: Now, five ten minutes, if you need. I'm not a big napper. When I do it, hits, it's good. It's good. I don't mind doing it. If you need to take it, it makes you more productive. I understand. We don't encourage it more. Now you could be like some people and probably have a two hour nap. That's much.
Speaker 5: Well, that's too much, because then you're you're all the way through one and into your second sleep cycle. A complete sleep cycle lasts about ninety minutes, so the first part of the sleep.
Speaker 7: Cycle is the really restorative. That's why the first thirty minutes is great.
Speaker 5: That thirty minute nap once you move into the second part of the sleep cycle, if you awake from that in the middle of it, it's really.
Speaker 7: Hard to get back on track again.
Speaker 5: That's when you wake up and your groggy, and you actually maybe feel worse than before you took the nap because you're in that second part of the sleep cycle. It's not really helpful. So that's why the thirty minutes is pretty much ideal.
Speaker 1: Which time change is worse the Sprague one or listen, I think it'd be this one. Now, granted we're still going to get an extra hour sleep. You love that one. Bars are open. If you're younger, that means the bars are open for the next hour. But for those of us adults like to me, it's like, this is worse because we know what's coming. You know that we're not going to see the sun. It's going to get dark and gloomy, and you're going to leave for work it's going to be dark, and get home for work it's going to be dark. There's no joy in that, there's nothing of forward to until we fix it in the spring.
Speaker 5: Physiologically, the research indicates that both have similar impact on our bodies. I think it's the meaning we make of it. So to your point, the spring, we lose an hour of sweep, but we know that warmer, brighter, sunnier days are coming.
Speaker 7: However, there are people who really.
Speaker 5: Like winter, and so for them, this season that's coming up is not gloomy and doomy.
Speaker 7: It is really fun.
Speaker 5: They like outdoor sports, they like the colder weather. They really enjoy, you know, coziness around a fire. So for them winter is actually a lovely season and they're not disliking it at all. So physiologically the change is very similar, or the effect is very similar. It's the meaning we make of it that makes for me and you spring an easier one to manage than fall.
Speaker 1: I might be a freak, but I enjoy winter. I like fall a lot. I like winter. I like winter up until about maybe March. By then it's like, okay, now it's wet and gloomy and just nasty, can't do Anything's rains all the time. That's depressing. I like nice white snowfalls, something like that. Get a couple of feet of snow on the ground, a fire, I'm good. But then one it's just dooming. Blooming right, we don't have that, so and then after that, yeah, by February, February starts to roll around. When pictures and Catchers report, it's like, okay, it needs to be over, and then we got two mile months of misery is a problem.
Speaker 5: Yes, Pictures and Catchers report used to be a national holiday in my household when my kids were young. That was their favorite day of the year. Race fall season was starting.
Speaker 1: It's over.
Speaker 5: Yeah, it's over, yeah, exactly, and that's when things should start to get warmer.
Speaker 2: Now.
Speaker 5: Like you, I like winter. I like a cold Christmas and a cold New Year. And then you know, early mid January, I'm.
Speaker 7: Kind of done.
Speaker 5: I'm ready for it to start getting warmer again.
Speaker 1: Well did you also notice too that the older, when as you get older, you want more sunshine.
Speaker 5: Why isn't Yes, Well, because it helps regulate our mood, it helps regulate our energy. Sunshine is really important for all of the processes in our body, and the older we get, the more challenging physically things can become, the more we need every little bit of help we can access, and sunlight is important. Darkness feels darker the older I get I agree with you, and winter feels more wintery and yuckie the older I get, and I think that that is pretty common. It's harder to stay warm when you're older, it's harder to navigate in the.
Speaker 7: Dark when you're older.
Speaker 5: And we need more of the serotone and the dopamine that sunlight provides us, and we need more of the cortisol to get us going in through our day that the sunlight provides that, because as we get older, our brains produce less of that.
Speaker 1: Naturally, I get cortisol dopamine. I'm here for Julie Hattersh here at be Connected dot Care. That's let her be Connected dot Care if you want to reach out, maybe a topic for a future segment or a question for her. She practices out of Clifton at Beconnected dot Care. And Hey, Julie is the handle for the email Julie Hattershare Mental Health, money and the Scott Slan Show all the best. Thanks for jumping on, have a great weekranks you too, Yeah, thank you. I got to get a news update and then when we return, Austin Elmore's here. So far, no worried about anybody getting fired down at pay Corp. Shouldn't someone be fired for this? We'll name names coming up with Austin as the watches on for a sacrificial lamb down with the football team after yesterday's historic disasters loss out, back to back historic disasters loss losses. Here on the home of the best Bengals coverage Scotsland putting the dope and dopamine on seven hundred WW.
Speaker 6: Since you want to American, All right.
Speaker 1: Here we go. We have good news today. Good news today. Dodgers won the World Series. Some really good news. I opened the Jays would win. I don't know how it makes the Reds look any bad or worse, but nonetheless we have shootings. And speaking of sports, we had the Bengals. If you thought last week against the Jets was the worst ever, literally they said, hold on, hold on, hold my beer, hold my rhyangeist watch this and normally the football game and the script is always this. In the extremely unlikely event you recover an on side kick, and then and they more extremely unlikely version you got and you score a touchdown to go ahead, You do not lose the game. It is that is that is written in stone, right, well, it is written in stone. Austin Elmore from ESPN fifteen thirty.
Speaker 8: The last two times the Bengals have recovered an on side kick, they've lost the game. It doesn't happen. They did it in twenty nineteen. You might remember the Burrow Bowl I do against the Miami Dolphins where they feverishly came back and ended up losing that game, which secured the number one pick. And then yesterday feverishly came back and with fifty seconds and Caleb Williams everybody who's a Bengals fan said that's way too much time, when it was they only needed like twenty yeah.
Speaker 1: Yeah, And I say that, I tell you because this is more insulting than the Jets loss. I don't know to me, simply because it's an on seven team, you're gonna play like you got nothing. Chicago comes you the game one in a little of the closing seconds, all you had to do is make it to just stop the one guy that's it. Did you did you say like this game should have could have and would have been won. Did you really think when the Bengals scored the touchdown to go up one point and Chicago had fifty seconds and a time out. I thought the Stan which stick.
Speaker 8: The Bengals were going to win, Nooty exactly. Nobody thought they were going to win. If nothing else, they kick a field goal and they get out of there.
Speaker 1: But giving up that it's third and ten, Austin, I know, all you need to do is tackle.
Speaker 8: All you have to do, Scott were nine games in. This is who they are. The expectation is no longer for them to win football games. It is how badly are they going to screw up the chances they do have? Like I winned that game yesterday. I thought Chicago was going to win by fourteen points. Right, they were right there. And to you know, to the Bengals credit, they fought hard. They played pretty well, at least offensively. They kept themselves in the game. But defensively, I knew if they needed to have a stop, they had to get a stop.
Speaker 1: Yeah, there was no way it was going to happen. All right. Here's why.
Speaker 2: Now.
Speaker 1: Normally, like at eleven thirty five of James with Peena, he's busy. I don't know if he sees something in the tea leaves or whatever. I said, Okay, well we'll do James early this morning. I had him at nine this morning from Sports Illustrated, Locked on Bengals and bengelstock dot com. Great, I said, I'll maybe get Audie or something on later in the show during eleven o'clock hour, because you just have a sense with the other thirty one other cities, it's like somebody's got to pay for this. And I bring that up because Zach Taylor says it's sick, it's sick to lose that. I feel sick. I'm sick. I'm sick right now. When a head coach says that, that tells me he's out of answers.
Speaker 2: Yea.
Speaker 1: And not only the defense cost the Bengals another game, but it was reported that like all the guys on defense and the ones that were a lot of the problems were laughing to the media going we're not talking. I'll see on Monday, like there were no repercussions for this. And then that's contrasted with guys like Chase Brown and Ti Higgins and Jamar Chase and all those other guys, like a number of offensive players were legitimately pissed off about this, talking badly in the locker room about the defense and the defensive players and responsible like Ah Okay, see, I see on Monday, I'm talking to you whatever. That tells me that there's no control in the locker, Like literally, they're losing control. If they haven't lost control, right, you've lost the room, as they say in hockey. Yeah.
Speaker 8: So what I keep hearing from people around the team is that there is completely no leadership. Nothing on the defensive side of the ball. There's a lack of culture. There's a lack of leadership. There are not veterans who are doing their job and keeping the young guys in line. So Logan Wilson and bj Hill and Trey Henderson they're not doing that. They're not those guys in terms of, you know, kind of being the leaders in the tent pole guys to eedbuddy rally around. And it's more than anything, a bunch of kids just walking around thinking everything's funny, enjoying life in the NFL instead of grown men at work. And that's a major issue for this and there's no repercussions for it.
Speaker 1: Now.
Speaker 2: You know.
Speaker 8: Part of it is if you bench a team captain and Logan Wilson, well then okay, well he's he's not going to be a part of the solution. Trey Hendrickson hurt. Okay, he's not going to be a part of the solution. But even when those guys were healthy, they weren't part of it. Really vocal yell yeah exactly. So again, the Bengals have kind of just put this collection of people into the Bengals defensive locker room and hoping for a leader to emerge. I mean, Zach said it after the loss last week. Somebody in that room has to step up. Well, they don't have the personalities or the performances correctly mixed together to do that.
Speaker 1: Because it's about talent, but it's also about chemistry.
Speaker 8: It is it's about chemistry. It's it's also about there's a certain level of maturity as to understanding fully what your job is, what's required of you, and how you can become a better person, a person and player. And there's a humility that comes with that. I think of Jordan Battle for an example, last play of the game, essentially the Colston Loveland touchdown. Jordan Battle had had a solid game tackling. He had actually looked like maybe he had, you know, tackled pretty well. But in that moment, instead of wrapping up and tackling Colston Lovelin. He didn't put his arms out, he lowered his shoulder. He tried to hurt basically, tried to hit him as hard as he possibly could. Yes, and he bounced. That guy is six foot six, two hundred and seven pounds. He bounced right off of him and scored a touchdown. You have to be able to discern in those moments. Okay, it's not about the big hit here. It's about tackling clock running and giving ourselves a chance to win. The Bengals have too many players like that, and unfortunately, you know, I know the reports coming out of the locker room of the laughing and we'll see you guys on Monday. I need a little bit more context on that. I would like to have some more contexts because the other people that cover the Bengals, nobody really said that. It really came from Trags, and I appreciate Trags saying that. I want to know more about what was asked of them. How was that asked of them? Either way, it's soft not to speak to the media after a loss. You mentioned Jamar Chase does it, Chase Brown does it, Joe Flacco does it, Zach Taylor does it? Those are grown men. Those are leaders on the team. They don't laugh it off and say we'll see you guys on Monday.
Speaker 1: I'm not.
Speaker 8: I don't assume that they thought it was funny that they lost. I think they thought it was funny that the reporters wanted to talk to him. And that's an issue and again a sign of immature.
Speaker 1: When you see that conflict, right, it's the dichotomy between that attitude and literally guys in the offense grown animals crying and how angry they are that that could possibly happen. That they show so well, that Joe Flacco played so incredibly well, yeah, that they allow that to occur and think it's funny, think it's okay. There's no accountability now, defensive players not asking questions and duck in the media. At what point do we call accountability for Duke Toben and we come and go, hey, listen, I said this earlier, James, Like, no one in Cincinnati say maybe you Dawson, and people followus real closely. You wouldn't know what that guy look like down the street. There's plenty of general manager's player personal guys that are accountable will come on and talk to me to we don't hear anything about that. It seems to be important and they're not doing it. But that then that tells you, Okay, well, how much is it on him? I'd love to hear his side of this, but yeah, they don't get that out. He doesn't talk, he doesn't want to talk. The Bengals protect him from talking, and he needs to be relieved of his duties. He's been here since nineteen ninety nine and really the vast majority of his success has come when they're picking inside the top ten, which anybody can pick those players, anybody can pick Joe Burrow and Jamar Chase, And a lot of it also came at the hands of Marvin Lewis, who had a really good staff that built player scouts and development people that were really really good at it. And that was one of Marvin's strengths. He was able to get the most out of what he had. And outside of that, Duke Tobin hasn't really done very much at all. Now they've expanded their scouting department, they've expanded their research that they have gotten bigger in that regard, but it feels like they're going backwards when it comes to how they're building a team. They did nothing. Duke Tobin did nothing about the safety position. And what has been the biggest on this defense so far this year, it's been those two safeties, Jordan Battle and Geno Stone.
Speaker 8: It also goes back to Jesse Bates. This team hasn't made the playoffs since Jesse Bates left. Yeah, and they've tried to replace him with Dax Hill. That didn't work. So Duke Tobin needs to be in the crossairs. Duke Tobin should be fired. He should not have a job. And that is easy for me to say, It's easy for anybody who watches this team and understands this team and has a brain between their ear holes that Duke Tobin should no longer be employed. But he feels so insulated within the organization because he's been there since nineteen ninety nine that calling for his head or having those conversations seem pointless. That's a problem for this organization.
Speaker 1: What led to another record, but what led to Marvin lewis being related to duties. I think the team ownership felt it so much from the fan base sure that they had to make a change, and I think at the time mister Brown said Mike Brown said, I didn't want to do this, We really didn't want to. But you feel the same contact are worse.
Speaker 8: I do, and I think that the presence of Elizabeth Blackburn in that organization and the other daughter, Caroline Blackburn, I think those two have more pull than they've ever had before, and they care deeply about the external view of the Bengals. Yeah, they care about what people think, and they should NFL team should care about what their fans think. Do I think that's enough to sway Mike Brown and Katie Probably not, But I do think they have a seat at the table, and I do think that matters now. Part of the reason also that Marvi ended up getting canned is they had about three drafts in a row where they missed on a lot of players familiar, and that's exactly what's happening here as well. They've missed and they've set themselves back years and years, and so it might be time now. Listen, if you fire Al Golden today, I think that's the right move because he's not doing a good enough job with this group. But also there's a bunch of bad players on this grip and it's not really going to change anything look at that, I would right.
Speaker 1: I made this point of lou Anaromo goes to Indy, gets shown the door, having a great year in Indianapolis. I mean they lost the package that they are lost to the Steelers yesterday, but okay, they're having a good season with lou Anarumo. What does that tell you about this defense? He leaves, they put Al Golden in and the defense arguably got worse. How much do you I don't hang much of this on Al Golden because it's a small sample size. I think it's what we're talking about. What's the one consonan It's the personnel that you're getting in there. It's the Bengals going to put an all world record up for allowing hours after hit initial contact. It's why they're like eight hundred yards now after the first context. It's insane numbers. And and also Zach Taylor, how much of the how much you should be on head coach Ac Taylor? Granted he runs the offense. Offense is fine. So I don't know if I have the beef with Zach or Al Golden as much as I did Duke Topin.
Speaker 8: I yes, everybody, the most beef should absolutely go to Duke Topin, let's let's not let's not forget about that. However, if you operate on to the assumption that Duke is insulated from criticism, which he is. They don't let him talk to the media, he doesn't do any of that, and so you have to kind of operate from the idea that Duke Tobin's not going to be relieved of his duties. I look at the defense and I say, Al Golden has not done a good enough job putting his guys in position. And I think back as an Ohio State fan to the National Championship Game. Biggest play of the game, third down. He goes one on one with the best football player in the country, Jeremiah Smith, cooks his cornerback catches the ball.
Speaker 1: Ohio State wins the championship.
Speaker 8: That was a stupid play call by Al Golden the National Championship Game. There have been stupid play calls by Al Golden as a defensive coordinator this year. Is it all his fault? No, because there are a bunch of bad players. I think eventually all roads lead back to Zach Taylor. This was Zach's guy, right, Zach hired Al Golden his buddy, his neighbor, his guy who was here previously, the continuity and the familiarity of previously. I think that's a Zach Taylor issue. I think Zach has struggled to find the right position coaches at times over the years, and that has had a negative impact on scouting and development because of the weight that is put on Bengals coaches, specifically in this organization. And I think eventually all roads lead back to Zach Taylor, and he has failed to build a defensive staff because again, think about it, Zach delegates mostly everything on defense.
Speaker 1: He's done.
Speaker 8: I think you could make the argument this is one of the most impressive offensive coaching seasons of Taylor down ye, incredibly impressive, but he delegates basically everything to the defensive side of the ball. Louis Arumo was basically the head coach last year on defense, right, Yeah, and that's fine. People do that across the league all the time. But there is not a respect or an appreciation for Al Golden like there was for lou Ana Arumo. It started to be a mutiny last year where guys were turning on lou The organization saw the disconnect, so they kind of scaped. Goat lou Well, now you're starting to figure out maybe it's actually the players on the team, right, You.
Speaker 1: Fire Al Golden and get somebody else in and you get the same result that what Yeah, And again that finger points back to Duke Tobin, right, but it also points back to Zach Taylor because these are his guys and his coaches, and he has to say in all of that as well, all right, I don't I don't like It's they have come to a point where you have five years left basically in the Burrow era, and they have gone through the last six years basically of failure, two really good seasons.
Speaker 8: Burrow's been hurt a lot. You have five years left in the NFL. Five years is the blink of an eye, It really is. You have to clean house now and try to build this thing up so you have at least a chance at the end of this thing over the next five ye and keep Burrow healthy.
Speaker 1: Because it's not just that, it's also what the on line is doing. Of course, you mentioned safety and defense, and it's there's this is not like a ay off season, we'll get it squared away. It should have been addressed this year in the upcoming season, and now you pushed all that back, and how much longer has that reduced that window? Because now you've got to do it over maybe the next two seasons, right, correct, You're not gonna do this in one. Yeah, I'm right there with you, which again tells me why you need to start thinking ahead right now, which means trade Tree, Hendrickson, trade Logan Wilson, trade anybody, you can trade, stockpiled draft picks, maybe use that in the offseason to go and get some other better players. They're looking at sixty five to seventy million dollars in cap space next year, which is certainly doable. You can turn things around with that amount of money. I know everybody wants to think that they're broke because of Joe Burrow and Jamar Chasen t against. Oh, by the way, the restructuring for Joe Burrow's contracts haven't even hit yet, so you can expand that money even more so.
Speaker 8: I do think you can turn it around quickly. I don't know that you can turn it all around in a year. But again, one of the talking points coming into this season was can they go from the thirty first ranked defense to the twentieth and if they do, guess what, they're probably six and two right now. If they had the twentieth ranked defense in the NFL, they would probably be six and two.
Speaker 1: But instead of thirty one, you're thirty two. Correct one thing wrong way.
Speaker 8: One thing the Bengals have always taught us over the years, God is that it can always get work.
Speaker 1: Now, so I can't get worse because there's not thirty three teams. Well maybe, but like that's where we're at, and so you have to, like starting today, start looking about looking to next year and the year after and the year after that, real quick. Austin Nolmore from esp in fifteen thirty. Can you do that without? Because two things? You fire Al Golden, Let's say that happened. They're doing that right now, Okay, okay, sory a fire Duke Tobin. Do you need him to unload players? Do you need him to stock draft picked? I don't think you do. Do you wait until Wednesday? I don't think you do.
Speaker 8: I think there are people in that building that are absolutely capable of doing that. Number One, Katie can do it if she needed to, because she did it for a long time. Andrew Johnson has been in that organization for a long time. He's a scouting executive, Trey Brown, who is multiple times interviewed for GM positions across the league. He might make the most sense as the internal candidate to promote if you wanted to do that. Now, I think they should go external. But there are people in that organization that can absolut and Mike was the GM for years. Mike can do it as well. Again, I'm talking about just offloading players now. I don't know if I want the building, the future the franchise in those hands. But if you're moving on.
Speaker 1: But listen, Dukes and everybody's on the table, well pretty much everybody on the defense on the defense, Yeah, who's off table?
Speaker 8: Uh? Nobody? Maybe DJ Turner d good. Yesterday Romo Dunes. They had zero catches for zero yards. He had one catch that he could have been a touchdown. Guess who was covering him, Geno Stone, not DJ Turner. You build around DJ Turner. You're still open to the idea of building around Shamar Stewart's only eight games into his career and played that much. But yeah, Trey Hendrickson is a perfect example. Trey Hendrickson is here right now because the Bengals for some reason, thought they could win the super Bowl this year. That's the only reason who's here. They basically told him to his face, we don't believe in you moving forward. We think you're gonna get older, you think you're gonna get a hurt. We're not believing it. And Bengals have a long history of that. When guys turned thirty and they said we want you back because we think who can win the super Bowl this year? Well that's gone. It's over that, that hope is no longer with the team. Get as much as you can now, I'm real quickly.
Speaker 1: We only got seconds likelihood that this summon goes since Duke Tobin, al Golden, Zach Taylor all three two to three? Does it happen? Uh? Today?
Speaker 8: No, I don't think it happened. What about Wednesday? No, I don't think it's going to happen during the season. That's something else right there.
Speaker 1: I agree. And you're out trying to sell season tickets too with a higher price. Yeah, good luck, good luck with that, and then good luck.
Speaker 8: I would be shocked if there were any in season moves, just because I know how this organization operates.
Speaker 1: I don't expect it at all. More on this and we'll see what happens. Austin and Tony at Newon on ESPN fifty thirty appreciation, Thank you, We'll do news and Council member Seth Walschnez check out my Facebook and X page. Absolutely shocking what happened after the shooting in OTR. That's next seven hundred horrible weekend in Cincinnati, not only the football field, but of course with violent seven people shot and two different shootings over the weekend and carthage and two locations there one person dead and then a handful of people shot in OTR outside of nightclub out there inside of Privy, which is literally steps away from Ryan Geist. I just posted this on my Facebook feed at Scott Sloan and at X at Scott Sloan video shared with me that shows the day after the morning after the shooting in OTR, a gun was found in the grass right across from seat. How do you miss a gun in the grass across the street unless it was maybe thrown there after? But I don't know why to do that. Well, there's cops and crime scene tape up. If you want to see it, go there. It's just a horrific look for our city, and we don't need any more bad looks these days, for sure. Joining the show this morning on seven hundred WLW about the shootings and of course what happened on Friday with the video releasing showing that the city got it all wrong, and who was the aggressor in the July twenty sixth brawl downtown. That would be concole member Seth Walsh back again on the Big One, Seth, Good morning, Yeah, horrible weekend in Cincinnati. How much does it Well, we'll start with us. You're out campaigning, are on the streets, You're out on the streets this weekend. Have we become just simply numb to the steady drum beat of this kind of violence? I mean, seven shot in one weekends a lot.
Speaker 3: It is a lot.
Speaker 9: I don't think we've gotten numb to it. I certainly haven't. I'm pretty furious this morning yesterday when when I heard the news, I mean, especially the violence that we saw outside of Privy. I mean that was something that in my opinion, was incredibly preventable and frankly, something that I've been raising concerns about since April and the city didn't step in and solve it, and we have to do better. This is just it's an unacceptable position for us to be sitting as in the city having this conversation today, knowing what we knew going into this weekend.
Speaker 1: So this is the OTR shooting in particular, it was used to be pash Events I think was event Center and now it's Privy Nightclub. And it looks like, you know, they got the velvet rope up if that's you're seene, got security guards, I guess armed security there the velvet rope they wand you before getting out of the club. Allegedly what caused that was someone was turned away at the door for whatever reason. The video I just shared on my social feed at x and at Facebook at Scott Sloan shows a gun across the street from where the police were hours earlier following the shooting. This would have been Sunday morning. The shooting happened about one o'clock Saturday night, so there's a gun laying in the grass the next morning. Horrible look for the city. What do you understand happened and what's the latest that you're hearing from the administration? Are those you talk to Seth.
Speaker 9: Honestly, what you just talked about is you know almost more than what I've known.
Speaker 1: Okay.
Speaker 9: I reached out yesterday when I saw the news, and I have not been given any update on the situation and what occurred, which is incredibly frustrating because you know, like I said, you know the bar itself. You know, as you listed, they are doing things. To be correct, I'm trying to prevent instance from happening, but we have had a number of quality of life issues and concerns ories about them literally for six months now, and it seems to just continually asked, waited one way or another, not usually within the club, but you know, from an impact outside of it, and the fact of the city, you know, I think giving me more information concerns me frankly, Yeah.
Speaker 1: I mean you have ryan Geist right around the corner, that's a huge operation. Never any problems there. But we have clubs like this where the clientele is, I don't know, for whatever reason, feel that they've got to carry a gun with them, which is why I have harm security. And personally, I walked to and I'm I and I've been this way for a while, but as an old man now Seth. I don't know about you. As a young man. If I go to a place and they pull a wand to wand me metal detect or, I go to the metal detector getting the club, I'm not going to go in that bar.
Speaker 9: Well, And I think that's part of the objectives of the bar was to make sure people knew that that wasn't something they were going to tolerate. Obviously, this weekend shows that, you know, that's type clientele still was coming and results in in a horrible, this horrible tragedy. Also, I mean it is literally right across from I guess, and so it's it's a very important part of the city where the redevelopment efforts have happened and what we're trying to work on. We have to find a way our owners, they have a lot of responsibility, but we can't continually have these impacts where just because they don't enter the establishment, they're trying to come to the establishment and it's resulting in violence or car breakings after they've left your establishment. At some point we have to start saying, like we all have to be holding each other accountable here. This is not a one off incident. When when these quality of life incidents are just ramping up. What do we do to cool it down and make it something that it's safe for everybody to go there, because we should not have had this violent incident this weekend.
Speaker 1: Yeah, well, there wasn't a food truck anywhere around, was there, because apparently that's what's causing the violence.
Speaker 2: I don't.
Speaker 3: I don't.
Speaker 9: I mean, I've never seen a food truck up there, but that I don't go up to Ryan guys often enough.
Speaker 1: So sy comment on, well, thank god we got the food truck band because I don't know how this is happening. If that we have to investigate that. But nonetheless Seth walshon and but that's just the ridiculous of the response. We you know, we've often talked that you've talked about this before. Is all right if it's a if it's a known trouble spot. We talked about the hookah bars and hookah lounges, and there's there's some bars and places they have multiple service calls there and there's still in operation a number of places like that in Roselawn. But this is an OTR. This isnt the the heartbeat of the entertainment area of Cincinnati. Uh, you've got Halloween weekend, You've got a lot of revelers out there, and then this kind of nonsense goes down. Uh, And you know, I may face it, there's you see students in the like they don't feel safe. I've known some parents for a while now that every time something like this happens, they wring their hands, going, I wonder if I should allow my kid to continue going to UC. And that's you know, around the Clifton campus obviously. So it's a much bigger problem than that relative to this level of violence that we're looking at, and this this seven shootings over the weekend. We'll get to the Carthage one in just a second. Here. Have we been proactive enough about going after liquor license? I know that the state and Mike DeWine, Governor de Wine offered the services of the Ohio State Highway Patrol as well as liquor Control to come and to start going after these establishments. There's all a lot of problems. Has the administration accepted that and leaned into what because I know there's troopers coming down like I don't know, one weekend a month or something like that, Like it's the national. I could say the reservists, but what about liquor control? Have we leaned into that?
Speaker 9: In my opinion, no, I don't think. I don't think we take this series enough. And the reason I keep talking about quality of life issues is because those are you know, it's a broken window theories that is the opening point to when things start to escalate. If we don't step in when it's just a noise nuisance, then also you get tar break ins and then you get to violence. A lot of the situations that I've personally been briefed on over the summer, it seems like there were these warning signs and red flags that lead to the incident ultimately happening, that we were like, oh man, who could have seen this coming? Well, the quality of life issues certainly gave us a good sign that we should intervene earlier.
Speaker 3: In this case.
Speaker 9: In particular, what frustrates me is that as a member of Sincinet City Council and I've personally told the city manager about my concerns around that bar and that establishment and the results, and I warned that this was a tragedy that I was worried would happen, and it still happened because we didn't step in aggressively enough to make sure that it did not happen. I'm not saying the bar owner wasn't working with us, but I'm saying that I was continually getting complaints and concerns about this corner almost every week for the last six months, and yet we were going to act like we didn't know that this is going to happen. How many more times is that is that going to be acceptable?
Speaker 3: When we started the.
Speaker 9: Revitalization of over the Round in downtown, if you look at that plan in two thousand and two, one of the biggest things they said was zero tolerance on crime. And I'm not saying we have to get to that stage, but I am saying the quality of life matters, and it is an indicator when we start ignoring it or not being aggressive enough on that to shut it down, it does lead to worse and worse actions and indications. We hope that they never get to this stage of violence, but as we saw this weekend, it did. Everybody is responsible for that, from the city manager to the bar owners and the people that are going in and out of these establishments. But I personally think that the city and I hold the city manager accountable on this. I'm furious right now. Need to get serious about this and need to say we are not going to tolerate this any longer. We are going to get aggressive and we're going to get this under control because this cannot continue to happen, especially when we have warning signs.
Speaker 1: What has the city in particularly this is mayor aft to have peerval ensure along the city manager? Have they addressed this shooting Saturday? Here it is Monday morning, have they addressed this, se your satisfaction and said anything.
Speaker 9: Well, As I mentioned at the start of this interview, I reached out yesterday when it was right when you and I were talking about me coming on today, and I have not heard anything since then, and I think the noise is definite. And I think that's been one of the big problems this summer, isn't it is that so often we don't have any information on what's going on. We know violence happened. Why are we not getting more information? And this is the situation. I think I can surmise it's because for six months we haven't a lot of like we had myself in particular warning about it, but so often I mean, every single one of these incidents. It's like, just come on, give us some information about what's going on here and what we're going to do about it and how we can prevent this going forward. The silence is incredibly frustrating.
Speaker 1: Council member Sas Walsh on the show this morning, I'll pull this back to my opening and what happened in July. We have seen now leaked surveillance footage that came out on Signal nine and on its a Facebook page or they have a website, and this is the video that Kip Guy to the assistant Hamilin County prosecutor, talked about during the arraignments, and that was that. Well, the victim in this case who was you know, the city demanded it he be charged. We know that the mayor and the city manager have their hands all over this sys to why Alex Stravinsky was charged. The white guy in this case. We saw the video where he was punching, slapping a black man, and the story didn't start there. As it turns out, we now have video evidence, conclusive video evidence. It shows that he was attacked from behind, punched in the back of the head by a man who was also charged in this whole thing as well. Before he did what he felt he had to do was being physically attacked by this They've been sitting on the surveillance footage for a long time. It finally got leaked out a few days before the election. That right now, isn't this cut from the same cloth in that if it's something that doesn't fit the narrative or makes us look badly, or we'll just simply cover it up. I mean, it's been three months af and no one there's nothing new in this case. What the hell's taken so long? And doesn't it fit into what we're talking about here? The lack of an action and transparency on the part of the administration.
Speaker 9: Yes, I mean one percent. I don't know why that video. I mean it was turned over to the city and the prosecutor's office, you know, pretty quickly after the brawl. I don't believe there's any delay in official individuals getting this video. We released video quickly when there's an oscar involved shooting. This was a situation of getting national and international attention. Why did we not release it? I asked last Monday, I asked somebody if I could see the video and I didn't see it till it leased online. Yes, this some of this stuff, I think we make way harder and more complicated than it needs to be, because at this point, three months and everybody's formed their opinion based on videos that leaps out before this, and we're all digging in our heels on it instead of actually having been able to just watch the video in the first place. Let's the prosecutor's office run the way it's going to run. Whoever gets charged gets charged, and there it is, and we can move forward to the city. Because the reality is this brawl is a black guy in the city. It's something that we need to find a way to move on from and move the past. Because at the start of this year, Scout, we were talking about sun Dance, an international film festival, moving to the city of Cincinnati, and we're going to end the year talking about this horrible brawl that happened back in July. Because we haven't been able to just put it to bed and put everything out there and say here it is and let's move forward. We as a city need to get back to why Cincinnati was on the up, why we were so excited about our future, why people were moving here. Why we want people coming into our downtown and we cannot reclaim that and remind people what's so important about this city, and we are continually not getting information and all these rumors and speculation is just running rampant.
Speaker 1: Just does council need more power?
Speaker 9: Uh?
Speaker 1: What probably we have of the well power presses obviously the county, But what about the time to release of public records and sunlight laws and things like that, especially in a high profile case like this that effects of public trust? Does what kind of party you have as a council person.
Speaker 9: Well, you know, the charter puts us on a really weird situation where the council can request things from the city administration if you get a majority vote. The city administration, you know, is only really forced to do something.
Speaker 3: If it's a law.
Speaker 9: So if it's an ordinance or you know, within the municipal code, you know, even in motion, they could theoretically ignore. I mean that that was the design of our charter back in the nineteen twenty. Yeah, I think that there's a fair question that needs to be asked. You know, a lot of people blame the mayor for things, but he's also very limited in what his scope of powers. You know, we have built a very strong administration from the city perspective, and I am all for professionals running the city. You know, they are definitely smarter than us politicians. But at the same time, there needs to be accountability and recognition that you are you are working with the public, and the public deserves information and answers. And when things are happening like the happen this summer, like the Happiness weekend, come out and talk about it. And it's okay to admit that sometimes we get things wrong. You know, that's not the worst thing in the world. We learn and we grow, and nobody here is perfect. But it's sure hard to have sympathy when I'm finding out the information because at least through a Facebook group. I mean, that's insane to me, isn't it.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I mean, you know that information is going to come out on this day and age. You just simply can't quash it, you know that at some point, And I'm surprised it took this long quite honestly, and obviously at the time and with the election very important.
Speaker 9: Yeah, absolutely, and I am I'm disappointed by it, and I hope that those involved are learning that we need to be proactive in our communication. This week is not giving me a lot of confidence on that right now. But I mean it's not about the election either, Scott. And again that's the way we design our system, right the administration is fisted out with any member of council or the mayor. And when actions like this are happening, because you know, it seems like things are tied to the elections, like, that's not why the administration exists. Do your job come out, have these communications, get involved when we have quality of life issues happening, protect the public, make these things the priorities, and make people confident that is our priority. And right now, I think we're going to price in the confidence mostly because we are not communicating about what is going on and we're not being aggressive enough when we know the problems exist. These are not these are not new problems. These problems have existed for hundreds of years and a lot of great leaders to figure out ways to solve them. Why are we struggling so hard? And it's time for this administration to step up to the bat because I'm I'm tired of having these conversations Scott. Where we keep saying, like what happened, the city needs to step up. They knew the problem that was going on with Privy this week. I mean, no problems happening with other bars around the city, but that are related to quality of life. Step up, get aggressive and work with the bar owner, the community, and make sure that we start solving these problems now before we have another tragedy in the city of Cincinnati.
Speaker 3: That simple.
Speaker 1: Why are you one of maybe two council members that are speaking up. There's nine of you seeking re election. The majority, the vast majority of council says nothing about this. Does that encourage more of the same behavior? If you, as a council got together and said, listen, this is going to hurt all of us, it hurts our city what we're working for. You guys control the purse rings. That's how it's set up with the city charters. You control the financing. Well, if you control that financing, that means you have a huge say in how we police and what our policy should be.
Speaker 9: Yeah, I can't speak for my colleagues. Well, I can say and try to reframe your question. Here is nothing that I am saying today have I not said behind closed doors? And you haven't heard it because I actually would rather do things behind the closed doors. I'd rather we solve the problems. And I think the strategy of any good city or elected government is for you to never be complaining about an issue and not realize that you're not complaining about the issue. Right, So, yeah, we want to solve things behind closed doors as much as possible. I've just found that, you know, when eventually we get to a stage where something like this weekend happens, people need to know that this was not a conversation that just happened. This has been happening for six months, and what happened this weekend was an inevitable outcome when the city did not act enough on it. I don't know why my other colleagues don't speak out to, you know, more aggressively on some of these topics, but I think it's probably personal choice on how they do it, and I imagine they work behind the scenes on it. I would like us as a city to get back to the point that you stopped calling me Scott, and I would like to be back to the point that you guys don't know or care who the mayor or the city Council is when we are just a well working machine and we're excited about the potential of sundance. We're not there right now. Right now, we need accountability and we need to be holding out and being the aggressive on it in my opinion, and that's my opinion. I'm one of nine. That's the way the system has been set up. You know, those listening at home, you know there is an election tomorrow, and you know, I think my colleagues on the City Council are doing a really great job, even if they're not necessarily vocal. They are doing things behind the scenes to make sure things are moving forward. And I think it's important that you, you know, reward and vote for those who ultimately, you know, align with your values. And you know, in my case, if you think speaking out's important, you know, it's important for me that you show up to speak out and bout box the moth. But if not, you're going to continue to get more of the same. Yeah, That's that's what it boils down to you. So I think it's a personal choice by the voters and they may not luck at them all.
Speaker 3: Scott.
Speaker 9: People may hate hearing me talk. So you and I can speculate all day long, but we'll find out.
Speaker 6: Well.
Speaker 1: I mean, you know the snowplow thing you're instrumental in getting calling attention to that. We talk about crime now in this and calling out the lack of transparency. I love the accountability, Seth. I wish there were like seven or six or seven more folks like you on council willing to actually speak out against the mayor in the administration. But when you don't, then you just encourage more of that and sadly it may cost someone their seat. As you said, I think I have to have safe for sure, but we'll find out tomorrow. At some point this could be worse, Seth. You could be in charge of fixing the Bengals. So this is seemingly a much much more a drugs. Hey, good luck tomorrow, buddy, all the best and uh, we'll find out what happens tomorrow. Hope you get your seatback.
Speaker 9: I appreciate it.
Speaker 1: Yes, sir, thank you, good luck tomorrow. By the way, Seth, what does that say about city leadership when even the council people are in the dark of what's happening. Gun's lane and bushes are laying the grass across from a shooting hours later. It's just intolerable. The videos on my social feet at Scott's Sloan. Check it out on Facebook x Willie's on the way next to pick it up on the Home of the Best Bengals coverage embarrassingly so the best Bengals coverage seven hundred ww since now