Speaker 1: Yeah, in a seven or four. Here we are, Patrick Morrish A big show today. It's a big, big show.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I guess Pablo Lopez is like five minutes away. He's gonna be here even earlier than we thought. Possibly he's almost here. Haven't met him?
Speaker 3: Party? Super cool?
Speaker 1: Can't wait?
Speaker 3: And did you? I don't know if you guys saw.
Speaker 2: What I posted on Twitter last night and stuff, but I posted like a fake Pablo Lopez initials card.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 2: Do you see some of the things that I wrote on that because I just did.
Speaker 3: A two minute Google search. Yeah, he I believe.
Speaker 2: I think both of his parents were doctors and he was accepted to medical school and he was sixteen years old.
Speaker 3: He had friends, I think on the Marlins.
Speaker 2: I think that called him Google because he just knew everything. So they would ask him questions and he would know. So that nickname was Yeah. But you guys, Matt Burke went to Harvard. You guys beat him? Do Young Park's been on Jeopardy? You guys beat him once? Right, But I'm just saying it's so Pablo might be super super smart, that doesn't mean he's going to beat this game.
Speaker 3: It's a different beast.
Speaker 1: So his memory still works.
Speaker 2: His memory probably still works, So I guess he's extremely smart excepted to metal schools sixteen.
Speaker 3: That's incredible. That's insane.
Speaker 2: Good speak something like four plus languages fluently.
Speaker 1: I don't speak one.
Speaker 3: I don't speak one.
Speaker 4: Sau.
Speaker 3: You're not well read like Daniel Lambert.
Speaker 2: No, speaking of not speaking more than one language, not Mark peris.
Speaker 5: How are we doing, Lay's I felt so lazy in hockey locker rooms. Those Europeans that they obviously speak multiple because it's so easy to travel around there, like Mary's.
Speaker 3: Cherikowski could speak seven different languages and all this.
Speaker 5: Yes, yes, he was wow yeah so yeah, and then there was me butchering English and.
Speaker 2: Man it worked out. Yeah, you could score goals. That's that was the language of hockey. Yep, portuge Man, Portuguese and Italian.
Speaker 1: I mean, because you're.
Speaker 3: Too great languages? Are you kidding me? Portuguese too?
Speaker 1: Yeah?
Speaker 3: This guy and is your favorite kind of breakfast Oh yeah you can. You can also throw about a ninety eight mile an hour fastball.
Speaker 6: Yeah, there's that. He won't be the definition of God giving with both hands. So smart guy, super smart, good looking and athletic. And now he's filthy rich.
Speaker 1: Who throws a stinker? I mean that's a sinker. Sorry, it's his version.
Speaker 3: No, that was Daniel Lambert's the ultimate Lamber. Daniel Lamber alone, he's been dead for two hundred plus years.
Speaker 1: Who cares leave Daniel alone?
Speaker 3: Great bit? All right, should we do the news quickly before Pablo walks in? All right, let's go, here we go.
Speaker 1: The other news is that the poor guy.
Speaker 6: Mar camfe news with Chris Hockey, Poor Marcus Sore.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I mean again, you're in great shape, dude, but you're out there skating around, like really getting after it. That's got to be using muscles. You ain't used it a long time, right.
Speaker 5: Yeah, and they are screaming at me right now for it. It was it's so much fun to get back and do those charity games and everything, and down there at the Hockey Day, it was. It was an awesome venue. So it was a great setup. We got some really cool uniforms, I gotta be honest with you, sweet, right, like kind of the eighty Olympic USA Blue ones. We got some crazy cool uniforms. And yeah, it's great to get back together with everybody. It's so funny because you're all excited in the first period and you get out there and you're like, this doesn't feel too bad. I think I might be And by the time the second period starts, you want to die. By the third period, I couldn't move. It was hysterical because we were down I think eight to three into the third period, and one of our guys on the bench like, all right, guys, we got to start getting some shots.
Speaker 3: And I turned and looked at them like, we got to get.
Speaker 5: It across the red line first, Like, we're not even getting it out of our end.
Speaker 3: So who's on your team? Give us the names that we would know.
Speaker 5: Pauli Martin, Joe Mauer, Taylor Chorney, Jeff Tafe was out there for US. Adam Wilcox was out there playing Folie for US.
Speaker 3: Oh gosh, I'm blanking now. Of course, not Pablo Lopez, Carter R. Carter was out there. No, Pablo.
Speaker 5: Pablo is another. But maur was out there. It's too tall to play. Probably I actually got I I had. I stole Myers jersey and made him sign it, because I don't know how many people have a game, warned Joe.
Speaker 3: Mauerger's hockey jerseys. But yeah, I had.
Speaker 5: I made sure I took that right away from him.
Speaker 7: The ace of the Minnesota Twins walked in. So I'm going to go to work now.
Speaker 3: I love you. I will see you next Friday.
Speaker 4: Love you.
Speaker 7: Yeah, go to my website John crist dot com. But be first speaking engage you.
Speaker 1: Hockey day tonight.
Speaker 7: Yeah, yeah, Hockey days the hockey day you are, and Mark will be signing bottles of Northland, So.
Speaker 3: Come donate to the u h L and get a bottle.
Speaker 2: Awesome, there he goes, all right. Minnesota Twins picture. Pablo Lopez makes his Power Trip debut. Right now, he's got to work.
Speaker 3: You can't hear. Hey, I'll help you. You got it? There we go. Yeah, good morning man, good morning. How are you doing good? How are you very cool?
Speaker 1: Yeah? I get that microphone over in front of them. Yes, you don't mind the.
Speaker 3: Venezuela right, not like Veneesuota Miami, which is where I just came from. I was just telling Mitch, who drove me here, I had experience whether like these just once before. Then when where you throw boiling water into it's like powder. But I don't know. He feels like I've never experienced it because he was just crazy.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it's ridiculous. Yeah, it's it's nuts, but we'll get through it. We're hardy Minnesota's and.
Speaker 3: I hear there's a hockey game outside today already. Yeah yeah, oh yeah. And you even sweat today, and you sweed, oh yeah yeah, oh yeah.
Speaker 5: They'll get hot, they will get yeah. And and the nice thing about what they got going on that the United here is League is very very warm benches. They got some heaters just pumping into those things, so it's it's very comfortable.
Speaker 2: Okay, Pablo, I don't know if you were listening on the drive over, but we just basically kissed a whole bunch of ass. We're like, look, this dude is super smart, he's athletic, you're filthy rich, you're a good looking dude. What are what are any of those individually like, because none.
Speaker 1: Of us any.
Speaker 3: Of those Well you forgot to say I have great hair too, when you said that's now. Man, It's just I'm just happy to be here, happy to be here, and it's just baseball brought me here, Baseball has given me so much, and I just try to represent where I come from as good as I can, no matter like the situation. I mean the uniform I put on. I just try to represent where I come from. You know what they say, play for the team on the play for the for the team you have been from. Or also you're representing your name in the back of your jersey. So just super grateful every day and that's how I try to like approach it.
Speaker 1: Can you tell me about your hometown, your homeland, where you're from. I obviously I have never been to Venezuela. I would love to know about it.
Speaker 3: Okay, So geographically, if you have Venezuela in front of you, I am on the most western state, which borders with Colombia, and then I'm on like the city that's like on on a lake, on a huge lake. I think it's the largest lake lake atlant America. And it's particularly cool because it connects with the Caribbean. So it's very very hot. It's very hot, very warm, it's very flat, but it's so culturally diverse, culturally rich, rich, so it's just a really cool place and I have so many fun memories. Baseball. It's the biggest sport back in Venezuela, so I grew up playing baseball along some other sports. I play tennis, I play volleyball. So but it's just there's the people are just very warm, Like Latin culture is very warm. I'm very warm, very affectionate as it is. So that's like one of the things I miss the most when I go home. And then like I say, at my grandma's house, I say that, like I sleep with in her bunk bed. And it's just such a cool place to be. And it's geographically located. I'm like four hours away from the mountains, four hours away from the beach, four hours away from like the big prairies, kind of like our Midwest to say, like just flat like farmland. So it's it's a really cool place that I try to go back every single year.
Speaker 2: What's the what's the flora and the fauna aspects of that area? What do we got for animals and stuff? What are you dealing with down there in Venezuela. Sure we have the kapi Wata, like the biggest roading in the world. It's originated to like the Amazon part of like Venezuela.
Speaker 3: Are we talking I don't know, like twenty pounds for our roading, Hey, that's a twenty pound much big is roading? But they're pretty cute.
Speaker 1: He's got to hit it. You's got to hit it.
Speaker 3: That's gross. Are they dangerous or they're just big? They're just there and they's just like a live stuffed animal. Yeah, so they're just there. They're they're cute.
Speaker 1: And it's a huge lake. Looking at a picture of it right now, that is a giant lake.
Speaker 3: I know. Wow.
Speaker 4: Uh.
Speaker 1: And you were talking about how everybody played baseball. That's how it was when I was growing up here. Not so much anymore, but was that a situation where everybody met in the park and played baseball.
Speaker 3: Everybody everybody like so cool. I grew up playing baseball with the people I went to school with, like my neighbors, and it was just playing baseball like either on the field or we used to go to these banks that had a huge part in love, and we used to go and we used to play baseball with our hands. So we would just like either grab tennis balls or like a much softer like cross ball and hit it with our hands. And we used to play like two bases like baseball, so it was only two bases and you would play like that, or we would play with bottle caps you threw the bottle caps and hit it with a broomstick, So like God, so pretty cool. Rules Like if the catcher caught it without you swinging, it didn't matter where he caught, it would be a strike. But if you swing amazon the catcher catches it, then it's a strikeout. Then you want to speed up the game, and you would play up to like three innings and it was just a fun time. So everything is like baseball related. You're always moving, you're always making a swing motion, you're always doing like a throwing motion. So baseball's just a huge bar. And now that I'm able to fortunately be in the situation, I mean, it's just really cool to like go back and like look back to like the status I used to play when I was little, and see how how much of the passion is still growing down there.
Speaker 2: Learning with a bottle cap should make it feel like a baseball is the size of a beach ball.
Speaker 3: At baseball with that bad after that, it's like hitting with the church's door. Yeah, you're hitting a beach with the church's door. That thing is just massive. But my dad also used to throw beans, like black beans or like any kind stuff like that. He would like throw that to me in the backyard is just like we gotta train your eye. We gotta train your eyes. It didn't work because I have to wear contact the house. Maybe maybe I was just focusing so much on heat of the beans that my eyes got all messed up. But it was just a lot of baseball, which is fun, damn.
Speaker 1: And you you hit left handed and throw right handed the other way around? Which one is it?
Speaker 3: I throw riety? He had left and I heavy living hits in the big leags, right, we can't. I have to mention that. Yeah, absolutely, yeah, yeah, that stat ready to go right, one hundred and thirty one batting average. When did you realize you could pitch like you can? They made me. Yeah, I wanted to. I wanted to be a position player because I like to hit. I like to, you know, shag baseballs in the outfield. But when I was trying out, I was just very slow. So when I was fourteen fifteen, I was still very good at baseball for that age, but I was just very slow. But I gave it a try. So my dad took me to track and feel less. And so when I make it there, the track and field Coach's like, let me see your form and I do my phone. It's like, well, the good thing is your form sucks, so we can get you better. We can bet you faster. So I ran the sixty sixty yard ash and I was like a seven point six, which is super slow. So within a few months he got me down to like a seventh flat. But then my fifteen year old me, I was playing a Picico game and I'd play hard and I was leading to home plane. I broke my ankle because I crashed with a catcher. So by the time I came back, I was back to my seven point six. And it was October of twenty eleven and my signing period was July twenty twelve. So I was super slow, but the arm was still there. So a couple of scouts were like they invited me to a tryout, making me think I was gonna go as an outfield. They were like, why don't you just get on the mound real quick? And I'm like, sure, why not? Then I started like getting on the mound, and I started like creeping up every time I got on the mount, until like I finally made the transition, and I didn't want to. I honestly didn't want to. But then I knew like I was running out of time and the windows to sign are super short, like as an international free agent. So my dad convinced me, like, just like, let's just take the opportunity. Let's get in the business, like getting the into the into Pro Bowl. And after that, if for whatever reason you try to like make a switch or like we can persuade someone to make make a position player. Never happened. I sucked a pitching, but I started developing that love for it, and I mean here I am.
Speaker 5: Now.
Speaker 1: Wow, and you signed with the marriage at sixteen? Is that right?
Speaker 3: Yes, July signed. I signed July fourth, twenty twelve, So right at sixteen years old? Wow?
Speaker 1: What you've left so much of a life. I'm fifty five and I I've done nothing.
Speaker 2: Some of these, some of these team names that you played for going through the miners and getting back up.
Speaker 3: And getting to the majors, what's your favorite one? Let me guess, I mean, you stay gotta be the baby Cakes.
Speaker 2: Baby, the New Orleans Babycakes, the Jacksonville Jumbo Shrimp.
Speaker 3: The Modesta Nuts, Yeah, the Modesto Nuts is awesome. The clnt Are lumber Kings. Yes, these are just cool ass names. The minor league has some lead names, the lead names, e lead promos. People are just having fun and because these are such some of them are such small towns that people just like devote themselves to watch us play for I mean the minor In the minor league, you play one hundred and forty games, so for seventy games, like that's what people do. So you get to meet some people that are just devote not even like when I'm when I was playing in Clinton, people were not Seattle Mariners fans, they were lumber Kings fans because that's the hometown team, if you know what I mean. So you get to meet a lot of people that are passionate about the little things and then they have all kinds of promotions to make it fun for the fans. So it's the minor leagues are They're tough. They're tough. They're definitely a humbling experience. They get you ready for like the real world real quick. But it's also fun like if you appreciate like where you are that that like for that day. Like I used to tell myself, these are my big leagues for right now, I know what the big league star, but for today these are my big leaks, and I have to like play hard. I have to go for it. So when you find moments like that, you can have a lot of fun.
Speaker 2: Our baby cakes cakes or is it something that has nothing to do with desserts?
Speaker 3: Like, what the hell are baby cakes? I remember it's something with like a donut or something that sounds but don't look up the baby cakes mask good, it's pretty I think I've seen it. Yeah, he's like a huge baby. It's like this New Orleans. Yeah, I mean they mean yes, are like you know, like the place to get him is Cafed Dumont Like right, so good, so good. I got into the French quarters when I was there, so so good again.
Speaker 1: Uh. In case you're just turning in, that's Pablo Lopez of the Minnesota Twins. I already love him. And to your left right there, that's Marni.
Speaker 3: Gellmer Marni Man.
Speaker 1: I'm guessing you guys know each other, right, No.
Speaker 8: Cross paths a few times, yeah, but when I was covering the team more regularly, you were not there.
Speaker 3: It was pre Pablo.
Speaker 9: It was baby cake and it jump.
Speaker 3: We speak Spanish when we see each other, right more? Oh lah see speaking of that.
Speaker 2: So, Pablo, I don't know if you knew this, but according to your Wikipedia page, you speak like something four plus language fluently something like that for Ish, right.
Speaker 3: I learned him growing up just because I was at this like linguistic institute my parents put name because my parents were like insane about education. Yes, both doctors, Yeah exactly, so, so they put me at this place where like there, we was just fitting me all these subjects in different languages. But when I met it to my eighth grade, so twelve years old, they asked me which way I wanted to intensify in. So I'm having this conversation with you right now because I chose to intensify in English. Got it. So that's why I'm able to have this conversation. I was, right.
Speaker 2: Well, so here's my follow up. So the man over there meets us. Paul Lamberg took what four years of Mandarin?
Speaker 3: Yes, sir, how much do you know? Nihow that's what he has me?
Speaker 7: How much?
Speaker 3: Yeah, that's all. Yes, So we try something here.
Speaker 2: Let's try this, say like good morning, nice to me, eat you in some language, and let's just see if he can guess the language.
Speaker 3: Yes, uh, Spanish a different one, uh bungeem eagle Portuguese. Yes, that's cheating.
Speaker 10: Because you were listening when we mentioned Portuguese, only listening when he got here, when if you were watching this dream, you looked around like you were, you know, going through your brain like that sounds.
Speaker 3: A little bit like Portuguese.
Speaker 6: And something right right, And I think you guys said speak under Yeah, but that means you were listening.
Speaker 3: At least thirty minutes ago.
Speaker 9: Fantastic and you're a wordsmith.
Speaker 3: Yeah, thank you for how many Martie me? How you know it's Mandarin? Yeah?
Speaker 9: How do you?
Speaker 3: Yes?
Speaker 2: Sam, sounds like Colleen knows at least twice as much man as you.
Speaker 3: Yes, I guess we go to the same barber, that's what.
Speaker 6: Yeah, Yeah, yeah, all right.
Speaker 3: Pablo will pass.
Speaker 2: This makes his Power Trip debut now that he makes his initials debut in like a fifty minutes or so.
Speaker 10: More with Pablo Lopizod of the Minnesota Twins, Marnie Gellner, and Mark Parrish.
Speaker 3: After this Poward Trip Morning Show on the fan.
Speaker 1: Ball, It's the Power Trip Morning Show at seven twenty six.
Speaker 3: Here we are.
Speaker 1: You're listening live. It's whatever time it is. Whenever you're listening to it. If you're listening on the podcast, cast A dozens in the main studio, including our new friend Minnesota twin, Pablo Lopez, and our old friend Marnie Gilner.
Speaker 3: I mean so old, so old, I mean old.
Speaker 1: Listen, we've been friends forever.
Speaker 3: That's right. Yeah, that's rights for grants.
Speaker 2: So, Pablo, are you familiar with the game you're about to play in fifty minutes?
Speaker 3: And are you familiar with.
Speaker 2: The fact that about a year ago your teammate Ryan Jeffers played and one which is not easy to do?
Speaker 3: So the pressure's on man about I think if I say no, I don't know, absolutely not. You'll figure it out. You're smart. Yes, we'll walk it out. I'll try my beta minute. I'll have a fun I'll bring some good vibes. I'll be charming, so it'll be little fun.
Speaker 1: Check it over.
Speaker 9: You get extra points for charm in this show.
Speaker 3: Perfect If I get any rides, just a bonus, and then Jeffers will trash talk you.
Speaker 2: That's okay, love it. Should we do a little bit of sports sauce. You could throw some stuff at Pablo and see what he thinks.
Speaker 5: Okay, It's time for a fan five on the Power Trip presented by All Around Your Timber Tech deck building contractor.
Speaker 6: V Minnesota Wild beat the Red Wings four to three and zero. Te Corolla capriceofs scored twice, including the overtime winner. Quinn Hughes had three assists. The Wilder twenty nine fourteen to nine. They battle the Panthers tomorrow at eight pm.
Speaker 5: Perry, Uh and yeah, you know what, since I was down in Northfield at has swim meet last night, Zacho, you want to take this one.
Speaker 4: I'd love to uh my aunt, Yeah, okay, uh yeah, no. It was was a great win for the wild You know, broad Wings.
Speaker 3: We talked about it on Wednesday.
Speaker 4: A very good team and it looked like it it looked had a bit of a playoff look, particularly for the end of it. And uh yeah, Coroll capriz off breakout game has been not struggling but not producing like he normally does, and he, oh boy did he produce.
Speaker 3: Got a big overtime game winner. There was a Chris Hockey lookalike. It was.
Speaker 4: It was a good night in Saint Paul and hopefully that continues on Hockey Day tomorrow night against the Florida Panthers, and as you know, Parish you said it on Wednesday, It's very true. Just never gets any easier in this the schedule as they steam roll towards the Olympic break right.
Speaker 3: Nailed it, Pablo.
Speaker 2: They ever had you do Let's play hockey the Wild ever had you out.
Speaker 3: To a game? They actually did when they played the Panthers in Miami. I think it was in twenty twenty four, so it's been the only time I've watched it Wild Yeah, play in person, which was super cool, super cool. Sure. Yeah, Florida has been pretty good for a long time.
Speaker 1: A hockey ice hockey reroll big in Venezuela, be huge, you know, mountains.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I think we're gonna have a good team for the Winter Olympics. You know, I'm gonna take up break from spring training to go. Yeah.
Speaker 6: The Wolves are a sinking ship. They just four straight and two of their losses they were double digit favorites. They lost last night one twenty one to fifteen to the Bulls.
Speaker 3: They host the Warriors tomorrow Martins at four thirty.
Speaker 8: Yeah, it's not been a good stretch, especially these last two.
Speaker 3: Last night.
Speaker 8: Anthony Edwards has got two fouls in the first four minutes, and normally he plays all twelve minutes of the first quarter, and it things like that can throw him off, and that threw him off, and he just didn't I don't know. He never looked like himself. He was missing shots in the lane that he would normally fall for him. He was nine for twenty five, had twenty points, which you have these nights.
Speaker 9: He is human and he is allowed to have.
Speaker 8: An off night. It just wasn't a good night to have an off night. And the Wolves defense just is not good enough right now, and it needs to it needs to correct. And I don't think that we should lower our expectations because this from week to week we could think we're challenging for a championship or our ship is sinking as you phrased it sas thank you, and it will go back to we can contend for a championship in a week as soon as this kind of straightens itself out.
Speaker 3: They desperately need a point guard.
Speaker 9: They need something else.
Speaker 3: Mike Condley, great, dude, now it's over.
Speaker 6: Devincenzo can't really do it, and Dillingham doesn't get off the bench.
Speaker 8: Yeah, and bones Highland here and there is a great option. But last night he was one for six and had three points. So the bench total had twenty eight points. NAS had twenty of them. So outside of NAS read the bench yes, just probably doesn't have enough.
Speaker 9: Probably play any basketball in Venezuela.
Speaker 3: Only because I was toll during recess in school. But actually so we do have a basketball league, which is not good enough. It's not very good. But I used to go basketball games with my dad, and my dad played more basketball than I did. I would just play for fun. But it's you have to be insanely athletic to play basketball, and I don't know how those people move that will when they're that tall, Like they make me look short, and they make me look like I'm not that athletic. So I do admire and respect what they do. And I hear some people say like, oh, they only play twelve minutes four times, like that's just non stop back and forth, not even doing suicides, like back and forth and never stuff, never ending. So I don't know much about basketball, but from athletes standpoint, I admire like what they can do physically and the way they perform.
Speaker 2: They're in good shame, super dumb question because I know every team has their own athletic trainer and staff and nutritionists and doctors and stuff, but how often do Minnesota Twins players overlap with other sports teams in the Twin Cities? Like do you ever cross paths with a trainer with a wild member of Vikings player?
Speaker 3: Wolf? And anything like that doesn't happen too much. But these last season in twenty twenty five, I was injured most of it, and then there was a moment where I was doing my rehabit target field and I know that Wolves were using target field to run like stands, like them running up and down the stands, and Anthony Others was one of them, and that was super cool. So our pitt for the Twins was really good friends with I think the strengths coach for the Wolves. So we overlap a target field once or twice, so that was pretty cool. Cool, Yeah, right, Saus.
Speaker 6: The Baltimore Ravens are hiring former Chargers defensive coordinator Jesse Minter is their head coach, ats a five year deal.
Speaker 9: Duh.
Speaker 6: The NFL Final Four set and the Showdown starts on Sunday with the Pats at Denver. The Patriots are a four and a half point favorite over the home team, the Denver Broncos. Then at five thirty, the Seahawks battle the Rams. The Seahawks are a two and a half point favorite.
Speaker 1: Wow, I can't wait. Yeah, you like football, American football at all, Pablo.
Speaker 3: I like it. I'm still learning in Yeah. Mitch, who drove me here from the Twins, actually was my GM for my first ever fantasy football league. I never got a text that we won, so I assume we did now win, but too it was fun. I think we swore the most points a couple of weeks here and there.
Speaker 2: If you never got a text, is there a chance that you just deposited the money and it just ran.
Speaker 3: I don't think so, but you never know. But it was fun. It was cool to learn about that. He was mad at me because I didn't go to the draft, but he drafted the one player I wanted him to draft, so that was good, which was the kicker for the Patriots. I know, the only Venice Swelling in the NFL right now, but I wanted him to drafting in the first round then. But he did make a good point. If I'm a GM and I draft I think the last round the player you wanted me to be drafting the first round them is I'm a good gem. I'm like, you know, you're not wrong.
Speaker 2: Yeah, he did say that, and he got him, got him late, Yes, he got him late.
Speaker 3: Last pick. See.
Speaker 8: Does that make the Patriots your favorite NFL team because of that connection?
Speaker 3: Yes? But the originally is a forty nine Ers just because it's like fun, I'm number forty nine and I'm not like really like into football. Sorry, I'm number forty nine. Let me just be a forty nine Ers fan just to just to make it fun. But yeah, right now, like the four that are left, I'm going for the Patriots because of the kicker. How'd you find the love of forty nine?
Speaker 2: Do you have some kind of personal significance to that or is that just a number you picked up early?
Speaker 3: I actually didn't pick it, but when they gave it to me, there was a couple of pitchers that I admired with number forty nine. Ja Corietto was one of them who was like super super good when he was with his Chicago Cubs once. So when they gave me forty nine, I'm like, you know, it's a really good pitching number. By the time I considered changing in my family had gear with forty nine all over, so I'm like, well, I can't do this to them, So I just stuck with it. And anymore, if I want to go somewhere now, I have to like buy the number. Like that's a tradition in sports where you go somewhere, and like if you want that number, you have to buy it. So when I came to the Twins, I had to buy it from Louis Varln. So I call him and I'm like, hey, like can I take forty nine? So like yeah, you can take it. And then like spring training, I bought him a couple of suits with like some tailor that went to our camp. Not a bad deal.
Speaker 6: What's the what is the biggest amount or biggest gift you've seen exchange for a number?
Speaker 3: I have heard of twenty thousand dollars watches. I once here about a motorcycle. And I know a guy that used to be with the Padress when Juan Soda go traded to the Padres almost got one Soda to give him a boat, but then settle.
Speaker 1: For a watch.
Speaker 3: So some of these deals, well do you see do you see the old tiny with Joe Kelly one tiny got him a Porsche. Yeah, my goodness, yeah, he got him a whole whole car. He signed a seven hundred million dollars deal.
Speaker 5: He could us all yeah, yeah, yeah, dinner from Michael Packa.
Speaker 2: Yeah, Mitch, Bob me a suit with your fantasy football many.
Speaker 3: A porn.
Speaker 2: Taylor Rogers is back with the Twins. That's in the news today too. Taylor agreed to a one year, two million dollar deal with the Twins. Thirty five years old. Was he here when you were here? What year did you get here?
Speaker 3: I got here for the season of twenty twenty three, so he was no longer year. But in baseball, when you have good reputations like the one he does, like you know that he's a fantastic human being. Great picture. Also for the Twins a couple of years back, So super excited to get to know him and then just learn from him what he's learned with other teams, so we can like bring back into our culture and you know, get a good vibe going get something good in the clubhouse. So when you get good, good people, good people that are also good players, like into the clubhouse, you know, like we're gonna be able to change a lot of We're gonna be able to bring a lot of good things into like our philosophy, our community. So super excited to meet and him. Hopefully I get to meet him this weekend.
Speaker 1: Go ahead.
Speaker 8: I was just gonna ask about his entrance song, because didn't Michigan confirm, didn't Taylor Rogers have the chain by Fleetwood Mac. His entrance from the bullpen was awesome and the ribbon board would have chains on it. And if you think of Fleetwood Mac, you've I've seen you sing this in concert.
Speaker 1: Ye, huh, great song.
Speaker 8: I would never think what a great baseball entrance song, but then you hear it and it's sort of dark and it will never break because it doesn't on the surface, so like a good pick, but it worked.
Speaker 3: Huh.
Speaker 9: And you, as a starter, don't have a bullpen entrance song.
Speaker 3: No, I don't have a bullpen entrance, but well I do get the luxury they play my song for like a good thirty forty seconds. Some relievers they get, some relievers they get get the short end on the stick because someone comes in and like they're doing some promo and then by the time the promo's over, the picture has to pitch, so if some relivers do get the short end on the stick, I get a little spoiled because I do get like at least thirty seconds of my song with a little hype of video. So I mean, you win some, you lose some. But the closer entrance are really really cool. That's been so fun to see in the last I don't know, anywhere from five to six years, how teams are making a cool, like cool experience when you bring your closer, making light shows, turning the lights off, like obviously we all know they joined RAM one and then anywhere around the league you see teams trying to wind up each other with the entrances. So it's really cool to see.
Speaker 8: Because they used to just jog in from the bullpen and pitch. Yeah, there was nothing, and now it's.
Speaker 3: And now it's now it's a part of the game. It's awesome. Yeah, what's your what's your song? I usually stick to song by Venezuelan artists, so like last year I had one by this Banayana, which is like my favorite band right now. But I always try to go for something that's a little like HiPE, so like I won Venezuela, but I want something that people can like move to or dance to, so but I usually try to stick to like that kind of like that artist love It sounds good.
Speaker 2: All right, More with Pablo Lopez is the Minnesota Twins After this Power Drew Morning Joe on the Fan.
Speaker 1: All right, too quick back bathroom break. But don't worry. Perry's here and I'm here.
Speaker 3: We got we got this covered. We don't need anyone else.
Speaker 1: Can you want to talk about like other sports, like basketball stuff like that. Yeah, let's let's break down our experts in phone and stuff like that.
Speaker 5: Yeah, we're going to break down to the Celtics Golden State Hawk.
Speaker 9: Thanks for the unrivaled assist.
Speaker 1: You're welcome.
Speaker 9: Usually Corey isn't here to guide me through that that grid.
Speaker 8: Yeah, yeah, you know you can tell the ones that the real radio professionals, sure, those that just kind.
Speaker 9: Of dip in and out.
Speaker 3: She was actually just making fun of me for not being able to read that. That's why I can't do live spots.
Speaker 5: So I kind of enjoyed the fact that she messed it up, you.
Speaker 1: Know, Corey, Yes, sir, I love when we have guests in and I try to learn a little bit more about him and Pablo Lopez is here, the Minnesota Twins, of course, and his home country of Venezuela. Here's something I did not know until this morning. Christopher Columbus discovered essentially, you know what, as we say, Venezuela on his third voyage. I didn't know he did more than one, did you guys? Oh no, fourteen ninety two we've heard about that. But in fourteen ninety eight, I'm the current drug him over to Venezuela. There he was, how about that? Didn't know that? Learning about your beautiful country and when I say beautiful, my goodness, the pictures, holy moly.
Speaker 3: Yeah, you know you know it's called Venezuela.
Speaker 1: I do not.
Speaker 3: So when people first made it to like what it's, what's Venezuela right now? They made it actually to my state through the lake and they saw these like little houses floating in the water, and then they say like, oh, it looks like Venice. So Venezuela pretty much meant little Venice. Oh so, because he gave that feeling. So like these houses were called parafitos that's pa la fa a no f I t o s. And then like these were just like floating houses, so people were moving like in boats. So they gave like this like Spanish like girls that impression of like little Venice. Oh wow, I did not know that, never thought of that. That makes sense.
Speaker 8: Did all the kids and especially all the boys played baseball all the time when you were growing up?
Speaker 3: Most of us, like most of us were always at the baseball field. That's why I said, like my my classmates were also my teammates, my team, like my neighbors were also my teammates, and we were always just playing baseball. And like soccer is also big play, but soccers was more like what you would play either on recess at school or like sometimes played on the streets, just like play soccer, Like you would put like two rocks like at the end of the street and two rocks on the other like that. That was like the gold sos like if the if the ball went through those, you would score. But it was mainly baseball. Baseball was like the most organized to play for a team like little leagues and then do a lot of like travel ball within they so it was yeah, like the passion for it. It's crazy and it's cool that at least, like my hometown is still keeping up with the baseball tradition, and I try to help out as much as I can now, like sending like supplies for like my brand deals with like Mizuno that they send me equipment. I also have a worked on my deal that I get some donation money, so like I get to buy a decent amount of gear and equipment and I send it back home to like the little league where I play. That Wow, awesome.
Speaker 1: I've got a bunch of random baseball questions that okay with you, Absolutely okay. As a pitcher, do you have to throw the baseball every day or do you feel like you should?
Speaker 3: So I'm on a five day cycle. The only day I don't throw it's a day after pitching, and it's for two reasons. Number one is for rest, like recovery, like I do enough to recover with like working out and shoulder exercises. The second reason is because I'm so sorry the day after pitching that I'm not really getting anything out of throwing that day, Like I'm not like I'm not getting stronger, I'm not getting better at throwing that day because I'm just so beat up. So the other days I do throw consistently, so Each day has a certain distance and volumes. So Day one, I don't throw. Day two it's like a moderate free covery day. Day three we call it a bullpen day, which is a high intensity to day. And then day four it's like moderate too low because I'm getting ready for day five, which is game day.
Speaker 1: I'm sorry minding a figure. My You max out, according to Wikipedia at ninety seven miles per hour fastball, but your average velocities ninety two to ninety five. Can you tell the difference between a ninety one mile prior fastball and a ninety eight mile prior fastball or ninety seven mile pro fastball when it leaves your hand?
Speaker 3: Absolutely kill? Really, I mean, and you can tell, like on the pregame bullpen like oh I'm pumping today, or like, oh, I'm gonna have to figure it out today. And it just is the nature of the game, is the nature of life, you know, Like I wish every single day I felt my best or like I had my a stuff, but it's all gonna happen. Like over thirty two starts in a season, I may have my best stuff like eight times. So you're talking like for twenty four stars. You're just grinding, like you're just like three out of four times, you're like have to figure out with why you have you you may not have your A stuff, but I have to bake my beast off my A stuff for the day. But like when those eight stars that I do have myself, like nothing's gonna stop me. Like I'm gonna be pumping those ninety sevens ninety eight, so I'm gonna be able to like hit my spots and every time I'm gonna be able to throw whatever pitch in any count. So those are the fun days and those are when those are like your elite stars. We're all bound to have, like those stars, we're bound to like have to battle through some and then. So but you can definitely tell when you have your A stuff. You can definitely tell when like when the balls like have like that downhel angle and it's just like you're never gonna go Like.
Speaker 2: Can the opposing team know before the game like, oh crap, like Pablo's got it. They can they see it on the mound before the game even starts at year that you're just flinging it.
Speaker 3: They can see in big trouble, they can see it within the first five pitches. The first five pitches, the first two batters, they can see it. They can also see it the other way. They can also see it if you don't have it. So that's why I try to be like very emotionless on the mound, like I try to make it. I try emphasize on the trick. I try to make it seem like everything I'm doing is by design, Like if I'm all over the place, I'm like try to be composed to be like that's my plan. I may be freaking out on the inside, like what was my stuff right? Like why am I not throwing strikes when I want to throw strikes? But on the outside, you have to make it seem like that's your plan for the day, Like you, that's you, that's your approach for the day, Like, oh, I'm gonna be effectively wild today. In the meantime, trying to throw middle middle and it is just going open in on these guys. But the opposing team, they're like sharks man. They smell the blood, Like if they see you bleeding, they're gonna make you bleed. They're gonna step on you. They're gonna like find little things to do to row you up. Even more so, you have to like find ways within yourself to stay composed and then externalize that sense of confidence. I always say that most of life's most of life is about confidence. And the tricky thing about confidence someone knows if it's real or fake. So if you look confident people, my thing you are and then you try to go with it. And then as a start, do I get the luxury to try to go deep into the game. So then like, Okay, I'm gonna figure out and let me let me try to, let me try in this moment where it's not a high livered situation to see if I can find this pitch. And then when you find it, and then things are if they start getting in this proof and then like back the fourth, the fifth to sixth in and like I'm locked in and I'm able to give the depth that I want to give. Who's the top? Oh?
Speaker 6: Sorry, mart who's the toughest pitcher you you face? Or excuse me, hitter that you just even if you have your ace stuff, you can't get out.
Speaker 3: Who is? Who's somebody that comes to mind? Corey Sieger? Yeah, who's now with the Texas Rangers? Like he, I don't know. It's mostly one of the And I've heard these things before, Like some batters, whether it's because of their batting stands or where they stand in the box, they might be able to see the ball better out of like any specific any particular pictures hands. So like Corey Seekers has here. I think you see like three homers off of me, all three on different pitches. So I'm so the last time I face him, like I usually do reports for the nine guys, I'm gonna face like, I'm just gonna emphasize some Corey Siger, it was you. It was just like a personal thing. I made it personal, like my reports were so specific for him. I'm like, let me just find where all the blue blues good like blues means where they're cold in the batting zone, in the strike zone. So I'm like, let me find all the blue So where the blue is with what pitch, what location, what count So like I made all this plan like Cory Seekers, Mi g He's not gonna beat me. You always hear like this is a guy that cannot beat you. You want to get after this guy. So I found the spot, and I'm like, I'm just gonna pepper him with fastballs inside because in the last two weeks leading up to that game, he was not getting to that spot. So I was just peppering him. And that day, thankfully I had my a stuff, so I was pumping ninety seven ninety eight opening his kitchen. And then when you see them cheat, then you buy. Then you buy yourself some real estate out there. So they always say for pitching, like batters can't cover and can't cover everything. If you're thinking, you can cover outside. So once I made him aware of in, then I exposed him outside and then that's just the back and forth. That's just the back and forth. You use something to open something else. You want to be one step ahead, Like if I'm going to get you out with a change up, I have to make you respect the other part of the zone. So about it like him that day, I just made it like my mission to be one step ahead of him. Genius. Wow.
Speaker 8: The in the course of a game, when you often see like an umpire throw a fresh ball or get the catcher, get a fresh ball from the umpire and throw to the pitcher and then it's an immediate like a couple of spins around the hand and toss that one out.
Speaker 9: I need anyone when that happens to you.
Speaker 8: What is it that you feel on the baseball that you don't like most often that you need to feel when you get a fresh pearl.
Speaker 3: They just feel slippery, they feel sleeppery, they feel wet. Just because some games are so hot, the umpires are also sweating, and the umpires kip their balls on the packets next to them, so sometimes you get one and there's zkim wet. I'm like, this is just sweating. As much as I am. I'm behind the patcher. So I actually have a fun joke with my friend Fred, who's the security guard for the Twins. He sits at the end of the dog out, so he's like, I'm gonna count how many of baseballs you throw out, because I throw a get a load of baseballs. Like every time I get a baseball, I toss it out. I mean, I get a baseball and I don't like it, I toss it out. So he keeps strake up how many I do. So it's quite a bit.
Speaker 9: But why are you tossing them?
Speaker 4: What?
Speaker 3: They're all wet, They're just slippery, They're slippery. They just feel like.
Speaker 9: Well, then you get one all of a sudden it's sandpaper, like there it is.
Speaker 3: Well, that's just like some sometimes there's no consistence because it's actually people who's roping these baseballs with a special mud that they use. But like you know, it's a human element of it. Like some might be a little darker, so it might be a little clearer. So there's just there's just a few that just feel too slippery. But then also I feel bad if I ask for a new one and I get one it's also sleepery. I'm like, well, I can't do I can't be these guys. So I just then then if I get it a second time, I have to deal with in.
Speaker 2: So a couple of months ago, we had your new manager, Derek Shelton.
Speaker 3: It seems like a great dude. We liked him a lot fun times.
Speaker 2: How much in game difference can a manager make for a starting pitcher? Like what is the role during the game, not necessarily coaching off the field before the game?
Speaker 3: Like what what?
Speaker 2: How important is the relationship between you and Derek. It's a It's a huge relationship.
Speaker 3: It's a huge component and the biggest thing it's about confidence. You know, you want your manager to trust you when you're in the mountain, then you are the best guy. You are the best picture to get get this better out. Now, that's earned. You don't get that for free. You gotta earn it. So you have to find moments in a season where like it's one of those situations where like, oh, the manager might take me out, but I want to prove to him that in these situations I can still perform. I'm still your better option, your best option. It could be later in the game, I'm better than any reliever right now. Like, that's the mentality you have to have, and you got to earn that. So you have to like have conversations with your manager, like leading up to the game or like the relationship you build with him to let them let the manager know like, hey, I'm a competitor. I get the luxury to be spoiled for four days to get ready for this game. But on this game, you gotta let me die on that mound. You gotta let me just blead for my guys. You gotta let me just be your best option. Like I have four days to recover, just let me go all out. So you let the manager know that that's your mentality, Like that's just how I prepare mysel and then when you're on the mountain, like that's six seventh inning basis loading, No, ou, it's late in the game. Like the manager knows that your built for those moments, and then when he gives you the opportunity, then you can screw up because then you're not gonna get it again. Then like the next situation, it's a high leverage moment, then he's gonna take you out, which is fine. That's why we have a great bullpen set. That's why relievers are so nasty nowadays, so they can get you out of those situations. But like you know, it's that like ego that we all have as athletes, Like I want to be the guy to get out of any situation. So like the manager having your back in those moments, it just makes a huge difference. And that's like the kind of guy that Shelton looks to be. Like he called me the day after he got higher, which I thought was a super professional move, and like I appreciated it to no end. So I'm excited to meet him in person two because then we had a couple of zoom sessions. But I'm super excited.
Speaker 1: Pablo Lopezigan's our guests in the Minsota Twins, and I want to be your best friend now if that's possible. You throw a baseball ninety eight miles per hour. You have a weapon in your hand every time you throw the ball. Do you ever does that ever factor into your head that you you know, have you ever clobbered anybody?
Speaker 3: Does that?
Speaker 1: Does that wear you? Do you? Do you? And if you do, do you stay up late feeling bad about it? How do you deal with that?
Speaker 3: I have? I have my first share of uh hit by pitches, And it's a it's a mentality, like when you're on the mound, you you just know that you can be afraid of like making people aware that you have that weapon. You know the way you word it, and like you have that weapon, you never like you never want to hurt anybody. Let's like, let me let me just make sure that I'm saying that you never want to hurt anybody, Like if anything has a pitcher, I never want to throw balls. I want to throw high quality pitches. I want to throw high quality strikes. But there's some situations and you know, you may not be feeling that you're hitting all of your spots, but you also don't want to miss over the zone and then like you end up and you end up hitting somebody. But I took about being emotionless. I talk about being kind of like stoic on the mount, and you can show a little bit of like remorse when that happen, and you have to just make it seem like, hey, I may you aware that I'm gonna pitch inside, and then the batter like the battery on the ondex circles paying attention to add the batters and the dog or paying attention to that, like this guy's not afraid to pitch in. This guy's not afraid to show that we can't get to come from the mount. So you can you can flip in to be a little bit positive, like I'm gonna use this to make them aware that I'm gonna pitch inside. But you also don't want to do that. Like a few years back, I was pitching against the Saint Louis Cardinals and there was a guy that we had to throw inside and I hit him in the hand on accident and I actually broke something. And he was a Venezuelan guy. So after the game, I DM him on Instagram'm like, dude, I'm really sorry, like I heard the news. I hope, like you know, speed of recovery. He's like the warmant's part of the game, Like I know you're a true pro, so like you do you do feel bad after the fact. Or one time it happened and the player, the other player for the Royals had to get X raised in our clubhouse after and I saw him and I'm like, dude, I'm sorry. He's like, don't worry about it. So we do have that like after the game, after the fact, once we flipped to switch off to like, shoot, I'm not pitching anymore, Like how's the guy doing?
Speaker 2: So yeah, yep, wow, all right, that's Pablo Lopezant and the Minnesota Twins.
Speaker 3: We'll do one more segment with him before we play Initials.
Speaker 2: In like fifteen minutes, one hundred and eight thousand dollars up for grabs with the Saint Paul Federal Credit Union Initials. Jack Belt will give Pablo a chance to play the game for the first time. Marnie's here, Parish is here. This is the Power to Them ooint show on the Fan
Speaker 3: Fan