Speaker 1: All right to say too nine on seven hundred wl W.
Speaker 2: Steve Hawkins in for Tom Brenneman on Thanksgiving morning. Time to talk with Gary Sullivan at home with Gary Sullivan on fifty five KR see nine o'clock every Saturday and Sunday morning.
Speaker 1: Good morning, Gary, How are you going?
Speaker 3: Stay fine?
Speaker 1: How are you good? Thanks for joining us.
Speaker 2: You're always here on Thursdays with Tom Burnaman, even on Thanksgiving.
Speaker 3: I like, here you go, there you go.
Speaker 1: You need a company, didn't you? Absolutely been here by myself, me and Dave Keaton all morning long, and there you go. I joined the party. There you go.
Speaker 2: I'm gonna ask you a question about how not to clog up the kitchen sink on Thanksgiving in a second. But the wind was really blowing yesterday and got some drafts around your home and my home and everything.
Speaker 1: What's going on here?
Speaker 3: You know what yesterday with all that wind was really I hope people paid attention to their homes because you know, with thirty mile an hour winds, you find where all the leaks are around the doors, around the windows, under the doors. You know, it's really drafted. But one place a lot of people don't really think about I don't know. Do you have a little i'll call it an escape patch into the attic. Maybe it's in a closet, maybe it's in a hall. You know, really what that is is a piece of plywood about five aces of an inch thick, and it sits on a little rail wood up there, and you know it's not weather tight at all, and of course the wind's blowing through the soft events and the gable vents, and that draft can really come right into the house and mess up the temperature on the first floor or upstairs. So we can weather strip that if you take that piece of plywood down and get yourself a piece of maybe two inch thick foam, cut it little contractor's cement up there sticking on the back of that board, and put it back in place, and that'll insulate that board. And then for where it sits on that ledge, what I do is I get a piece of plexiglass, and on that plexiglass I will get some of the foam weather stripping. I'm sure you've seen it in hardware store. It's self sticking, so it's really easy to do. And then drill just four holes, one on each corner, and screw it. Right into the trim molding of that escape hatch. I'll called again, Yeah, I'm sure it's calling attic door, come to think of it, and compress that weather stripping up there, and then you've got you've got an insulated area. And I'll tell you what, it makes such a huge difference. I'm sure if people paid attention to what that door was and it's not enslaved yesterday and that wind was haling, I'm sure it's almost drumming to a degree. Wow. So you can cut down a lot of air that infiltrates the home. And of course then your furnace that's going, it can't satisfy the thermostats, so it just keeps going and got wow, get on.
Speaker 1: Then you get the bill in you crab.
Speaker 3: So let's do that.
Speaker 2: Absolutely, you can do it to more stuff like the entry door, also in the garage door.
Speaker 3: Sure in the entry door. You know, we all know about weather stripping. If you had a house for a few years, you've probably added weather stripping. But areas that are forgotten is at the bottom of the door. I mean, we do the tops, we do the sides, but at the bottom of the door, where the threshold is there's you know, the modern thresholds are usually aluminum or wood, and they have a little vinyl seal that slides in, which is good for about five years. Yeah, you know, it gets cold, it gets worn on, people walk on it, and it splits and everybody just ignores it. And then when you get a real windy day, the winds rushing that cold air right in the bottom of the door. So replace that seal, pull it out. There's about six seven different types of configurations. Take a little snippet of it, take to the hardware store. They just literally just slide right in and slide out. If there's a little you know, settling that's taking place and there's still a little gap, you can change out to the threshold. Or you can put what they call a door sweep on, which is a piece of aluminum, usually about an inch, and then there's a vinyl that goes on the bottom of that that just is a sweep. It just sets up against the threshold again. Or you can just throw an old rug up against it. That's what we used to do when I was a kid.
Speaker 1: Now you're talking about doors, what about our windows.
Speaker 3: Here's something I bet a lot of people don't know, you know, we hear all the advertisements on replacement windows, and that's a great investment for a home. It really makes a huge, huge difference. But you know that's not in everybody's budget. There's other priorities that have to come first. So here's what you do. You've seen the little plastic storm window kits. They work fine, but before you use that, there is a calking called peel Away. And whether you have casement windows that are steelcase windows where the windows close on a bar just steal no, no, you know weather stripping at all, or a double hung window and that weather stripping is long gone. The window goes up and down where those windows meet, there's a gap and again like yesterday, paying attention, stand in front of that window. You could you could feel I'm sure the air rushing in. So you get a product called peel Away. You can calk the window closed so you can put it right where those windows meet. If it's the case may put it along the bar it dries clear. If it's a double hung you can put it again the where the windows meet each other, and also the sides if there's a draft there, and then you can put the plastic storm window cover over the window, which is a plastic creates a little dead air space. Again, great insulator, come march, pull the plastic down in that calocking. It's called peel away, and you just peel it away.
Speaker 2: And also I guess just in general, insulating your home better.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I wonder how many homes are really under insulate. I always preach everybody. Not everybody can get in their attic, but you know you've got family over to day, nobody's been in that agg for a walk kit a ladder. Say, hey, would you do me a favor and just go up with that yardstick and just see how much insulation I have. Yeah, on the floor of the attic, you should in this area probably have somewhere between fifteen and eighteen inches.
Speaker 1: That's what we need.
Speaker 3: Whether it's blown in, whether it's batting whatever, that's how much you need to really come up to the recommendations of the of the EPA. And I mentioned there's so many homes of just five six, seventy eight inches of insulation. You're just throwing that money away. And older homes before seventy five, you know those walls, there's no insulation in those. You can have that done it'll probably pay for itself in about four or five years by having somebody actually pump a foam into those walls. It may not be in our R forty two, but you'll cut that draft out. You'll cut that air infiltration, which is also a big part of the game.
Speaker 2: Okay, one final question. Gary Sullivan a host of At Home with Gary Sullivan on Saturday and Sundays and fifty five KRC in the morning. There people are cooking today. They got grease, they got leftovers, they got turkey dripping. What is the number one mistake or the number one no no, if you're in the kitchen today, not to stop up the drain and stuff.
Speaker 1: Don't host Oh too late for that.
Speaker 4: You know.
Speaker 3: One of the busiest days, in fact, the busiest day for plumbers is tomorrow. Okay, So you're spot on, and a lot of it is we look at that disposal, you can't really see it. We love it, you know, we just scrape stuff down there. It just disappears in no problems. Well, you know that's that's for cleaning plates. If you're peeling twenty five potatoes and I've seen it. Oh and people are just stuffing that stuff down there. And you're gonna clog it up. Anything that's fibrous of quantity or starchy of quantity. So that's celery rice stuffing. Just don't do it. Don't do it.
Speaker 1: Don't do it.
Speaker 3: It's gonna clog off. What's gonna happen? Really, there's a circle breaker button on that disposal. I don't know if you've ever tripped yours. No, but all of a sudden, the disposal just shuts off. Okay, I thought, excuse me, well, you can reset those if you get underneath. Well, first of all, you'll have to free up the blades. There's two blades in there, and when you bought that, it came with a big Allen Wrencher.
Speaker 1: We can go into the bottom of the disposal. There's a nice little outlet.
Speaker 3: You just stick that Allen Wrencher, start wiggling around, get those blades moving, and once you free them up a little bit, there's a little red button.
Speaker 1: Just press that in up again.
Speaker 2: Gary, thanks so much for joining us on Thanksgiving, spending some of your time with us, and we'll talk to you next Thursday with Tom. Okay, I have a great Thanksgiving, Steve, all right, you too, Gary Sullivan at home every Saturday and Sunday morning. The nine First Warning Weather Forecast Center says it is a mixture of clouds and sunshine, windy Thanksgiving today on the High three eight. It's twenty nine around the tri State at your severe weather station News Radio seven hundred WLW. What are you doing wrong with your turkey? We're gonna find out next. We're gonna call the Butterball Turkey Hotline talk Thanks you Freshman the Butterball Turkey talk Line Expert. Hey, Happy Thanksgiving. Thanks for joining us this morning.
Speaker 5: Hey, my pleasure, Thanks Steve, and happy Thankgiving you and all of your listeners.
Speaker 1: Thank you.
Speaker 2: I've already got my butterball and it's all thought out, ready to go. I was I guess my first question is is it too late this morning, on Thanksgiving morning to thaw out the turkey for today?
Speaker 5: Well, it depends when you want to put an the oven. If it is rock solid frozen, you're gonna have to soak it in cold water. You're gonna keep it the original wrapper. You're gonna put it in the sink, thround it with cold water. Change that water every thirty minutes. It's some of your fastest quickest way to defrost the turkey. It takes thirty minutes per so if you have any time to do that, I would recommend doing that now.
Speaker 2: So get going and get going on all the fixings and everything else. Are there things that people are that are up early cook this morning? Is there like one thing that everybody is doing wrong that they could do better?
Speaker 5: Well? One tip I always give all the callers is just make sure you use that meat thermometer. It just takes the guesswork out of knowing when your turkey is done, because we get a lot of call things. How do I know if my turkey's done? Or should I take it out? Now that meat thermometer one seventy in the breast and the sigh, You know your turkey's done. Remove it from the oven and done?
Speaker 1: All right?
Speaker 2: Are you gonna throw some stuff in the turkey? Does it take longer to cook or is it about the same time?
Speaker 5: It Sure does. It's going to take longer to cook. So for example, if you've a ten to eighteen pound turkey, it's going to take about thirty minutes longer to roast than if it was on stuffed. Again, use that meat thermometer. The center of that stuffing should reach one sixty five stuff turkey right before you put any of it there.
Speaker 2: Talking to Sue Smith, the butt Off Turkey talk Line expert, You guys have been doing this for many, many years, right.
Speaker 5: We have forty four years we have been talking turkey here.
Speaker 2: And what are some of the craziest questions you guys have been asked over the years.
Speaker 6: We do.
Speaker 5: I've been talking turkey personally for twenty six years, So you do. You get a lot of fun callers. You know, We've had this one call. It's so cute. She was come from Colorado. It was cold there. She had her turkey, you know, outside storing, which is great, is below forty degrees. It was in a cooler. She had all of her family were a couple days before and the grandkids were like, haha, let's hide this turkey and grandma. So they moved it. And then they got a big snowstorm. So she went out to get her turkey and she's like, I can't find my turkey. Help, what am I going to do today? So we recommend a fresh turkey. But those grandkids were instructed to go out immediately and try to find that turkey, and he did find it, so she was lucky. But we had a lot of fun calls here, all right.
Speaker 1: That's what is there a favorite that you have besides that one?
Speaker 5: You know, a dad call too, I have twin boys. He had twin boys. He was on setting the boys, the bath song, your Turkey, a few other duties for that Thanksgiving day he called. I hear all the cap in the background and like, so I'm funny. He's like, well, I got turkey thowing. I got my boys in the bathtub. All three of them are just you know, playing meshing around. It's like, how long is this turkey's been to take? And I couldn't help but laughing. You don't want to keep turkey in its own cold water bath in the kitchen thing. But you know he was just trying to get it all done at once.
Speaker 2: There you go, Butterball Turkey Talk Line. How many calls do you guys get on average each year?
Speaker 6: Oh?
Speaker 5: God, we'll take you know, so many calls. Since we've been open since nineteen eighty one, we've assisted millions of body hosts. You know, it's our busy day day. Of course, in the background, we have over fifty experts taking the calls, answering the texts, emails and chats. It's the most fun day to work.
Speaker 2: Do you give people recipe ideas like how to make green meat castle?
Speaker 5: Also, you know we can help. Yeah, we try to help with the entire meal if we can. There's great recipes at butterball dot com too to help with some ideas. But yeah, if we can help me, sure will.
Speaker 2: All right, Sue Smith, Butterball Turkey talk line expert. This morning, you said, butterball dot com. How do we call you guys and talk to you this morning?
Speaker 5: Yeah, give us a call here at one eight hundred butter Ball. We're here from six am to six pm. That's single time again, over fifty of us here taking those calls, who are happy to answer any of your key questions.
Speaker 2: All right, Sue, I'm going to call you in next Thanksgiving Day.
Speaker 5: All right, look forward to it. Thank so much.
Speaker 2: You're welcome. It's coming up. An eight twenty five. The Bengals two day Report with Mowen Rocky is next. Seven Pocus here this morning, talking to you lot AfOR regular fry this morning.
Speaker 1: Hey Gregory, thanks for joining us this morning.
Speaker 6: Hey Hey Steve, thanks for having me.
Speaker 2: No problem. I wanted to talk about the book that you've released. It's called Conquering the Hill. The Remarkable Journey to the Greatest Gridiron victory in Cincinnati Public Schools History. I've had a great time reading about this book. I mean, we've got the Thanksgiving parade, We've got the excuse me, yeah, that's the one in the well over in Price Hill. We've got the big race going on. But there used to be maybe the biggest football game of the year played on Thanksgiving Day in this town for the better part of fifty years, wasn't there?
Speaker 6: That's correct? This week they actually they actually called it Cincinnati's Bowl Game, and I didn't coin that free.
Speaker 2: Did this go on like nineteen what was it, twenty eight to seventy eight, something like.
Speaker 6: That, nineteen twenty nine, the nineteen seventy eight.
Speaker 2: And if I'm not mistaken, one year they had twenty thousand people at Riverfront Stadium watching the game.
Speaker 6: Oh, there were a few years it got too big for Elder Stadium, which holds about ten to eleven thousand. In the final year they had like fourteen thousand. I was at that game. I was in seventh grade and it was just a Sea of Humanity, So they moved it down to Riverfront beginning in nineteen seventy three. In the first year, they had the delayed the start of the game thirty minutes to get all the walk up traffic, and they had almost twenty five thousand people there.
Speaker 1: Wow.
Speaker 2: I mean, I think of high school football in this town. I think of Friday nights. I don't think of Thanksgiving Day. How did this game get started in the greater Cincinnati area played on Thanksgiving Day?
Speaker 6: Well? Elder was founded in like nineteen twenty two, West High in nineteen twenty eight. We had our first team in nineteen twenty eight. They sometime between the end of the twenty eight season and nineteen twenty nine season, the powers that be said, we ought to have a ought to have a game. We ought to play. Elder previously had been having an alumni game with former players in their team on Thanksgiving Day. I can only assume that they thought, you know, why not do this on Thanksgiving Day school Neither school had a stadium to speak of, so they decided to have it at Crossley Field down in Queensgate and it's just kind of mushroom from there. But the interesting thing about that game is the stock market crash occurred like almost to the day, a month a month prior to that, but not to be deterred, they went on with the game. They even had a parade from Shivat all the way down to the you know down there to the west end down at Queens game where Crosley Field was. At the time it was known as Redland Field. But me they played the first six of these games down at Crosley Field.
Speaker 1: Wow.
Speaker 6: By the third year they had five thousand, over five thousand at the game, and which at that time for a high school game was you know, fairly enormous crowd. And it's like I said, it just got bigger and bigger from there it became this this tradition, this Bowl game, like I said, so to speak.
Speaker 2: I mean it went through I guess World War two, of the sixties, the seventies, and it ended in nineteen seventy eight. We're talking about the Elder West High football game that was played on Thanksgiving Day in this town. What happened after fifty years that Elder and West Hide decided not to play on Thanksgiving Day anymore.
Speaker 6: Well, it was more engineered by the state, by the OHSAA, the Ohio High School Athletic Association at the time. Well, first of all, there weren't even any playoffs until nineteen seventy two. When those were instituted. In nineteen seventy two, only one team from one of four regions, the one team and our region being from southwest Ohio, would go to the state playoffs. So you were automatically if you had the most computer points, you were automatically in the final four right away, which that was the upside. The ub side was, you know, you'd have multiple teams that would get excluded the state. Finally, the State Athletic Association decided in nineteen eighty they were going to expand that to two teams from each region eight teams total from the States, so they had to they had to move the season up a week, so instead of everybody's season ending in November early November, it was going to end at the end of October two playoff rounds, and it just became untenable when you're going to have more teams possibly in an elder head on three occasions finished second in the region. So they, of course, you know, we're looking to possibly you know, have to decide between playoffs and Thanksgiving football, and it just kind of that led to the demise of it.
Speaker 2: Basically well, local author Gregory Frye. The book is called Conquering the Hill, the story I guess about Elder and West High playing on Thanksgiving Day in this town. Thank you for your time this morning. It's been my favorite book to read this year. How do we get the book?
Speaker 6: You can get it one of two ways. Either you can order it online through the publisher, Orangefraser dot com. That's all one word and it's Fraser f R a z R So Orange f R a z r dot com. Or I've made the rounds at all the local independent bookstores, so they either have it or they either purchase it out right from me, or they have it on consignment, or if they don't have it, they know about it. If you don't want to, if you want to, just ask them to order it in for you.
Speaker 2: You can do that, all right, Hey, Gregory Fright, thanks for your time this morning. I appreciate it, and good luck with the book.
Speaker 6: Hey, thank you, Steven. Happy Thanksgiving all right you too.
Speaker 1: It's eight forty seven. Do yourself a favor.
Speaker 2: If you've got an Elder of West Hio, Western Side of Town person, a price tal person, a Cincinnati person, that it's the book to get them for the holidays. Conquering the Hill. It's a great read and stuff. I never knew about Elder and West High playing on Thanksgiving Day, but that's good stuff. It's actually happy Frank's Giving. Yes, Franksgiving. Know about this.
Speaker 1: You can say this at the dinner table today.
Speaker 2: Eighteen sixty three, President Abraham Lincoln declared a day of Thanksgiving on the last Thursday in November, which could either be the fourth or fifth week of the month, and in nineteen thirty nine, Thanksgiving fell on the last day of November, so worried about a short shopping season, retailers, including those here in Cincinnati, approached President Franklin Roosevelt to move the holiday up a week, and so for the next three years, Thanksgiving was known as franks Giving and celebrated on different days all across the country until the end of nineteen forty one. Congress settled the matter by making Thanksgiving the fourth Thursday in November. So that's why we are here today on Thanksgiving Day. That guarantees an extra week of shopping before Christmas. So there you go happy Frank's giving to you this morning? What are you actually frankful for?
Speaker 1: You know what?
Speaker 2: Lady's story from a wallet hub, eighty four percent of us are thankful for family, and that came in at number one. Sixty nine percent of you listening is thankful for health, friends, and memories tied at sixty three percent. Personal freedom was fifty three percent, forty seven percent, stability, forty five percent, fun and experiences forty two percent, opportunities, thirty three percent achievements, and only twenty one percent are thankful for their wealth. So there, hopefully you're thankful for something today.
Speaker 1: What is that over there? He's almost there? All right?
Speaker 2: I have been told that Les Nessman is almost at the Pinedale Mall.
Speaker 1: There's some kind of ruck us over there.
Speaker 2: I believe we're going to talk to him in just a couple of minutes find out what's going on.
Speaker 1: But you do need to.
Speaker 2: Know about your Thanksgiving day weather, right, Yeah, it looks like a mixture of clouds and sunshine today, windy for Thanksgiving, a high thirty eight. Tomorrow mostly sunny, it's going to be cold and a high of only thirty four twenty nine around the tri State at your severe weather station news Radio seven hundred WLW. We will head to the Pinedale Mall next.
Speaker 7: Now it's time to go to our live remote man on the scene at the Pinedale Shopping Mall for the big WKRP Turkey giveaway. So take it away, less nest Man.
Speaker 4: This is less Nessman. You're man on the scene here at the Pinedale Shopping Center where the excitement is mounting. We're here to witness the big war nel URCKEI Thanksgiving giveaway.
Speaker 1: You got permission to be out here?
Speaker 4: What you're blocking my store here?
Speaker 6: Buddy?
Speaker 4: Don't you know who I am? Huh?
Speaker 1: I'm less Nessman.
Speaker 4: I won the Buckeye Newshuck Award last year.
Speaker 8: Here for you, Bucky, and I'll get.
Speaker 1: Out of my doorway. I'm sorry.
Speaker 7: It's free.
Speaker 8: So far, so good. I get hundreds of people who have gathered to witness what has been described as perhaps the greatest turkey event in Thanksgiving Day is great. All we know for sure is that in a very few moments they're going to be a lot of happy people out here. Now the crowd is the crowd is uh, curious, but well behaved, and I think I.
Speaker 4: Hear something now. Uh, the crowd is moving out into the parking area, and oh yes, I can see it now. It's a it's a Hello copter and it's coming this way, ex flying something behind it. I can't quite make it out. It's a large banner and.
Speaker 1: It says happy things.
Speaker 4: Kitty from wy.
Speaker 1: Hey.
Speaker 6: What a sight they is?
Speaker 4: Jump on water sight. The punter seems to be circling the fucking area now. I guess it's looking for a place to land. No, something just came out of the back of the helicopter. It's a dark object. Her head's a skydiver. Lumm me to you to the earth from only two thousand feet in the air. Second to the third. No harishute yet you can't be skydivers.
Speaker 8: I can't go just yet. By oh my god.
Speaker 1: They're turnkey.
Speaker 4: This tuning to the Earth, running.
Speaker 1: To win parts.
Speaker 4: The turkey's running around pushing each other.
Speaker 1: Oh my yous, Oh but you are.
Speaker 4: Let me go, bobs up. The turkeys are hitting the ground like sets of well Samanas.
Speaker 2: Site.
Speaker 1: No, I don't know how much mulgar. The tron is running for lives. I think I'm going to step in Site.
Speaker 4: I can't stand here and watch the city all you know, I can't go in there, and.
Speaker 8: Tedy hasn't been anything like this.
Speaker 4: I don't know how much longer I can hold my division here.
Speaker 1: Johnny the lastly, are you there?
Speaker 8: Last?
Speaker 5: Isn't there?
Speaker 7: Thanks for that on the spot report last you just tuned in. The Pinedale shopping Mall has just been bombed with rock turkey. Tell them at eleven.
Speaker 4: As God as my witness, I thought turkeys could fly.
Speaker 2: It's officially Thanksgiving after the double DKRP Turkey drop You Today ranked it the best Thanksgiving TV episode ever. It was the seventh episode of their first season. It was released on October thirtieth, nineteen seventy eight. By the way, the Friends Thanksgiving episode was ranked number two. All Right, it's coming up on nine o'clock. We got the news and Ken Burrell being for Scottsland on Thanksgiving Day. After that, thanks to Dave Keaton for producing this morning, and thanks for lest Neesman for dropping by. All Right, it's nine o'clock in the home of the best Bengals coverage, News Radio seven hundred WLW