Speaker 1: And now an exclusive interview with David Bassey for Dodger Talk.
Speaker 2: We're in the Dodger clubhouse, and not too many guys that do radio interviews with us comb their hair shower and are imperfect groom status. But Eric Lower, who's nine to zero with the Dodgers, has certainly come prepared. Thanks a lot for the time.
Speaker 3: You're welcome every time.
Speaker 2: How about Andy Pa has He doesn't really smile that often, but when I mentioned your name, Andy Pa has had a smile from ear to ear that says a lot about you.
Speaker 3: It might just be you, because I see him smiling all the time.
Speaker 2: That could be it. Maybe he just doesn't smile at me.
Speaker 3: I think that might be it. He's a pretty happy guy.
Speaker 2: You've played with a few center fielders in your time. Where would you rank Paz as far as defensive center fielders?
Speaker 1: Shoot, he's definitely at the top. He's one guy, and that's one thing that I definitely appreciate. When an outfielder has a really good arm, that's something that you know, just gets me going. And especially when a guy's fat, some tracks things down and you can tell that he's out there trying to make every single play. And throw guys out every time, Like that's something as a pitcher you just really appreciate.
Speaker 3: And you loved it.
Speaker 1: Like anytime a ball goes out there and you know a guy might be going home, You're like, just throw them out and throw them out paes, Come on, you.
Speaker 3: Can do it.
Speaker 2: Why do they still run on Paz I'm not sure if they're getting the scouting reports with all this data.
Speaker 3: I don't know.
Speaker 1: There should be a hard red light anytime a ball goes to center field.
Speaker 2: Do you think you could score from second base on poes lower?
Speaker 3: No chance, No way.
Speaker 2: How about just third?
Speaker 1: Maybe third may I'm not I'm not that slow, but I don't know. It'd probably be a close play.
Speaker 2: I mean, you've been in the league for a while. Did you ever have ad bats in the major leagues?
Speaker 3: Oh? Yeah, I got, I got a show homer. Oh yeah, who did you hit off of? Chris Paddock guy a guy that I came up with.
Speaker 2: Yeah, that's wild. So you were with the Brewers. He was pitching for the Padres.
Speaker 1: I assume yep, he was with the Padres. Still as with the Brewers. That's actually that's my future jeopardy question, is I was the last Brewers pitcher.
Speaker 3: To hit a home run. There we go before they took away the picture's hitting rule.
Speaker 2: How about that we just learned something new about Eric Lauer, who's a very private person.
Speaker 1: I'm not as private, but I mean I keep some cards close to my chest.
Speaker 2: Hey, I I uh full disclosure on Dodger Talk last night after the game. I did mention our interaction in Philly when I asked you what have the Dodgers done to make a click for you? And you gave me some answer that was from the moon because you didn't want to tell me. Are you willing to tell me now? Don't tell me about your changeup or your cutter or your mental skills.
Speaker 3: Coach.
Speaker 1: I think it's more like, was it what I explaining to you the language of lower that one?
Speaker 3: Was that the comment that I made it was Yeah?
Speaker 1: I think honestly, that's really been the most freeing thing for me is that I can I feel like I can speak my mind to the pitching coaches and they'll understand it. And that's like the hardest thing for me is you know, getting my feel and my point across of what I'm feeling versus what I'm doing and then them being able to recognize exactly what I'm trying to say and speak to that rather than just going off on their own tangent and their own thoughts and feelings and like it. It really brings everything full circle so that we all truly truly understand each other.
Speaker 2: I remember talking to Mark Pryor before your first start with the Dodgers, and he said, there's no mechanical overhaul. It's more about finding pitches that play off your fastball. And it seems like once started to the curveball last night, it was your change up. Has that been part of the language of lower Oh?
Speaker 1: Yeah, it's definitely like moving things around. How are we gonna how are we gonna play off the fastball? And what can we do to you know, not necessarily confuse the hitters that much, but like just get them off balance. And I think that's kind of the biggest point of pitching is disrupting timing. So trying to make sure that I'm tunneling well and have multiple speed ranges of.
Speaker 3: Pitches is huge for me.
Speaker 1: And it's it's been some days it's the curveball, some days it's the change up.
Speaker 3: Now I'm developing more.
Speaker 1: Of a I don't want to call it a sweeper, but like a sweepy slider.
Speaker 3: So, you know, just implementing that has gotten me to.
Speaker 1: Every every mile an hour range that I want, so I can kind of, you know, mess with timing a little better.
Speaker 2: Is that Connor McGinnis that is teaching you the slightly sweepy.
Speaker 3: Yeah, he came up with it.
Speaker 1: He's the he's the guru, the mind behind everything of like pitch design, and one day he was like, he was like, here, just try this.
Speaker 3: I know you don't like this kind of grip, and I don't.
Speaker 1: I don't love spiking any because my I pushed so hard into the ball it just it ends up like hurting my finger. But we've found a spot where it doesn't hurt and I can throw the crap out of it and it works, So I'm gonna keep throwing.
Speaker 2: It, I would say, so. Eric Lawer undefeated with the Dodgers. The Dodgers are nine to zero when Eric Lower starts, and I love how you remind everybody from Dave Roberts to Mark Pryor to all of us that the Dodgers have not lost even with an opener. When Eric Lower pitches.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I mean, it's a it's a it's a good feeling.
Speaker 3: It's nice knowing that, you know, when I.
Speaker 1: Go out there, when anybody goes out.
Speaker 3: There, really we always have a chance to win.
Speaker 1: And I think that's a testament to our offense, to our defense, to our pitching.
Speaker 3: It's just it gives you that much more.
Speaker 1: Comfortability when you get out on that mound to know that you know, our guys are gonna score, they're gonna put up runs, they're gonna play a great defense, and all I have to do is execute pitches. And if somebody does put the ball in play, it's eight out of ten times going to be an out. So it's a really freeing feeling when you're out on that mountain knowing like I can, I can do what I have to do and not worry about what's going on behind me because I know they got it.
Speaker 2: That's the voice of the well groomed Eric Lauer, who's nine to oh are the Dodgers there?
Speaker 3: Nine and oh?
Speaker 2: When he pitches, I will say this, you probably don't even know what I do, right, You have no idea what I do.
Speaker 3: I know you talking to a microphone.
Speaker 2: Exactly, but I host the postgame show and take calls from fans. Yeah, big revelation, right, you told me something about yourself. I'm telling you what I do. And fans, Dodger fans in this short period of time, have expressed to me the emotional attachment they have to Eric Lawer and don't want you to go anywhere.
Speaker 3: I don't want to go anywhere.
Speaker 2: I know, I know. But what you said after the game last night, not a lot of guys would admit just how what front the Dodgers were with them. Where are you at today as we get closer to Monday, How are you handling all that?
Speaker 1: I'm trying to stay off social media as much as possible, because I know my wife's on top of that and she's telling me everything that's being said and all the thoughts and predictions and whatnot out there.
Speaker 3: And I mean I knew coming in, like.
Speaker 1: I said, it was, I wasn't doing great to begin the year, and I wasn't in a great spot when I came over here. So I think if I wasn't able to accept that, you know, this might be the situation, they might, you know, be testing me out see something that they think that they can help me with and they definitely have to just get me back to where I should be. And you know, my goal was to come in and you know, make the decision really hard for him, if that was their plan all along, it was, it was to make the decision really hard and being like, are we actually willing to give up this guy? And I think I've done a pretty decent job of that so far. And you know, I've I've gotten pretty close with the entire team, the staff, like everybody around here. So I'm I'm more than more than hoping that I don't get traded.
Speaker 2: Yeah, same here. The radio guy likes you a lot too, So I hope in Chicago on Tuesday, you're still wearing Dodger blue. But obviously there's a lot of moving parts. And like I said, everybody has grown an emotional attachment to Eric Lawer. So thank you, and we'll see you. Uh, I'll see you tomorrow at least, right we'll be where our feet are.
Speaker 1: I think, so, I hope so at least, but you know, I appreciate it.
Speaker 2: Hey, thanks a lot for the time, lour thank you for showering too, for this interview.