Speaker 1: This is off season Dodger Talk.
Speaker 2: Get in on the show by calling eight six six seven hashtag Dodger.
Speaker 1: Talk and now your host David Basse. Yeah, yeah, yeah, the guys before for four hours. Yes, yes, yes, you're listening to David Vasse Dodger Talk with you until eight o'clock. I have no apologies for my short speech. That's the key to winning an award at the SOCOW Broadcasters Luncheon. Keep your speech short. People want to get out of there, they want to celebrate you quickly. So I have no apologies for anything I said. You know, I didn't even see Matt at the awards. I mean, he was so far back at that lonely Chargers table while us at the AM five to seventy LA sports table. We had plenty of room for his skinny bones to squeeze in, but he chose to hang out with the bolts back there at the table twenty five on the patio. You know, I don't know why he's upset with me or taking out his saltiness on me. I acknowledged him, I acknowledged Petros. Maybe next year, maybe, next year, you guys will rise up and win the Best Talk Show of the sunny California sports broadcasters. Maybe next year. I do want to say thank you to Tim Kates, the only guy on that show with any sort of class, because he was classy, has always been class He does everything for those guys. They actually should take that guy out to a nice dinner once a month for everything he puts up with. And he is so kind that he was the one that posted a congratulatory tweet on the AM five to seventy LA sports twitter account acknowledging that they had somebody win an award at that luncheon. So thank you Tim Kates, the only guy on that show with some class. And it was great, say Petros write out his show on Penn. It was great to see Steve Hartman be celebrated, Jim Hill be celebrated, Harvey Hyde. I mean, that was an old school football speech that certainly was inspirational to Petros. Some money, as you could tell if you were listening the previous four hours. But anyway, it was a great day. It was great to spend it with our teammates at the table. If Matt was at the table, he would have enjoyed himself. We had a great time at that table table ten was the life of the party, so a good day. Steven Nelson won Best Radio Call of the Year, the final call of Game seven of the World Series. Kirsten Watson won Best in Game Sideline reporter Jose Moda won Best play by Play. Spanish Announcers. So the Dodgers cleaned up, and look, the players in the team helps you win these awards. If Steven Nelson didn't have a Game seven of the World Series to call, I'm not sure he's winning it. You know. John Ireland had an Austin Reeves buzzer beater of a meaningless game. There was a Spanish radio call by our guy, Adrian Marquez Garcia of Justin Herbert running slide first down in the regular season. So I mean, that's what they're up against. And that's the way it was when the Lakers won twenty years ago. They would clean up at these type of things because the team, the players gave the announcers a lot to talk about and to describe. So it's the teams, it's the players, but it's the play by play guys that make it all come alive. So thank you to everybody, and especially Pete Arbigast, who is trying to do things to keep that sports broadcasters luncheon alive. So it was a good day. Solid barbecue, chicken was served, and it was great to be there, like I said, with our teammates at table ten, outside of Matt mney Smith, who you know, for whatever reason, felt like he couldn't squeeze in so he decided to go to his charger table, a very sad table after Sunday's loss in New England. But nonetheless, it was a good day and it was great to share it with my father in law, who you know, I want to get him out, he's in retirement, want to get him out. He loves sports, loves the sports broadcasters. So got to introduce him to Bill McDonald, who was his great Bill McDonald's self today. So all around, great to see a lot of people that you don't get to see all the time. All right, let's get to Dodger talk. Bottom of the hour, Jack Harris, who has left the La Times like so many of their good writers, and is joining the California Post. He is going to join us on what he's hearing. As far as Kyle Tucker, Cody Bellinger, Bob Bishett, and a possible trade with the Cardinals. I can't really get a sense about which way Kyle Tucker is going to go. In case you're not aware of this, the Dodgers already have gone over the highest threshold of the luxury tax for a third straight year. So whoever they sign from this point on, they're paying not just fifty percent or one hundred percent on their salary with every dollar, but they're paying one hundred and ten percent. So if the Dodgers were to give Kyle Tucker fifty million dollars a year with no deferrals, they would be basically paying him one hundred million dollars or eight excuse me, eighty million dollars, one hundred and something million dollars. So you know, that's that's what it's at. So that's something that I don't think would stop the Dodgers because they are involved to what level. I'm still not completely sold on how badly they want Kyle Tucker or how badly they want Cody Bellinger. It's always been about the Dodgers' terms when they have signed players, but in this case it feels like that's even more so. They're the back to back World Series champions, they still have Shoeo Tani, the best player on the planet on their roster. He's now pitching. You still got Freddy Freeman, who is still doing Freddie Freeman things. Mookie Betts had a down year, you would hope that he bounces back. You've got the most clutch hitter in baseball and Will Smith playing the toughest offensive position in the game, and he's the best offensive player. I would even argue that I'd rather have Will Smith than cal Raley at this point in time. But this side of cal Raley, arguably, Will Smith is the best catcher in baseball and offensively the most clutch hitter, as was evident again in the World Series with his Game seven go ahead home run. So they still got Snell, they still got an incredible starting rotation with you Moo, and they added Edwin Diaz. So all of these things. Sure, the Dodgers would like to upgrade their offense, but it doesn't necessarily have to be Kyle Tucker and it doesn't necessarily have to be Boba Schett or Cody Bellinger. I like I said, I'm still very skeptical by all these reports that the Dodgers are in on Kyle Tucker. But you know, we'll see what happens doing my radio show right now as my guy snell Zilla Fresh Office, snell Zilla National Great Kids Tournament, a camel Back ranch facetiming me right now, snell Zilla, you know how it is. Everybody's wearing for you at FanFest. Say hello, all right, that's that's the only you could call in, Snaill Zilla. If you want, You're more than welcome to. If not, we'll all right, all right, I'll call you right now. We're gonna call you right now. There he is, new Zilla in his Great Zilla National hoodie. He's gonna call in right now. I mean he called me while I was at the at the Sports Broadcaster's luncheon, as I was about to receive that award, and here he is calling me in the middle of Dodger talk. So we'll see if he delivers, if Blake Snell calls in right now. But like I was saying, we'll see whether or not Zilla calls in or not. But like I was saying, I'm still not one hundred percent sold on all these reports about the Dodgers and Tucker. Going back to the regular season, everybody thought that Kyle Tucker was a foregone conclusion. But you know, there's a lot of other teams out there, and the Dodgers won another back to back World Series championship, and oh boy, I see the phone ringing right now. He is a man of his word. He doesn't do audio calls very often. He loves to FaceTime. And that is World Series Champion, two time, two time cy Young Award winner, the one and only Blake Snell in his Zilla National hoodie somewhere in La there we go, Blake, thank you for calling in?
Speaker 3: Yeah, man, how you doing days?
Speaker 1: I do it great? I mean, are you getting ready to uh? Should we expect you on twitch tonight? Are you gonna be gaming tonight? When? What should we expect tonight?
Speaker 3: Nothing? Tonight? I'm chilling. I don't be just chrying at the crib, so not to night.
Speaker 1: But how so, why don't you I'm doing radio magic right now?
Speaker 3: How much longer you got radio magic.
Speaker 1: Until eight o'clock tonight?
Speaker 3: Oh?
Speaker 1: Eight o'clock eight o'clock sharp? See off season Dodger.
Speaker 3: Tell me for fan Fast? You ready for fan Fest?
Speaker 1: Why don't you announce it right now? I haven't announced it, but you can announce it. January thirty first Fan Faest at Dodger Stadium. Blake Snell will be out there.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I can't wait. You're going to be there.
Speaker 1: I'll be there, I'll be I'll be having the Dodger Talk radio show from fan Fest. We'll be out there together again and we'll be doing radio network temples. I'll bring it, I'll bring it. Have you heard about the Bubbley. I've heard about Bubbly coming up with a Shirley Temple flavor?
Speaker 3: Now, yeah, you saw Olipop with a Shirley Temple.
Speaker 1: Yes, yes, I heard about that too. Have you tried it?
Speaker 3: Can you give it? Pretty good?
Speaker 1: Thumbs up?
Speaker 3: Pretty good? Yeah?
Speaker 1: So when you're at your house, when you're at your house, do you have like the the the cherries ready to go? How do you make your Shirley Temple at home?
Speaker 3: I'm gonna I got a video that I'm a post tomorrow that's going to show you I like my Shirley. Okay, Okay, that's a sneak peek.
Speaker 1: Hey, Blake, We got to tell people what you did for the kids, because I told you my ten year old son is on kids YouTube more than he should be. And this past weekend at camel Back Ranch, you hosted, you your travel ball kids that you pay for. There is no money being made, it's all going to the foundation to the kids. But you hosted the Zilla National Tournament at camel Back Ranch and handed out sweet gear from Rawlings. How much joy does that give you to see the kids light up when you're in front of a rolling strug handing out these incredible swaggy gloves.
Speaker 3: Yeah, no, it was. It was pretty awesome. But it's like my third year doing the Jella stuff that this was by far the best. We had big league coaches that really, you know, train these kids the correct way on how to play baseball, how to practice, how to be a good teammate, how to be humble. And we had a lot of good conversations. We went to Dave Inbusters for one of the Knights with everybody. That was a lot of fun. And then yeah, they get the cool part is they get a bunch of cool gear. But the best part is they learned how to be you know, they learn how to practice, they learn what hard work will get you. And then we talked about you know, just being a good teammate, a good person and how everything will fall into place if you do that. So yeah, it was a success. It was a really great time. We're gonna make it better next year. We're gonna get better from it, find ways to just get more information to the to the youth and to parents, and yeah, it was awesome.
Speaker 1: So you had some all star coaches out there, including denu Ebel, Kyle Snyder, Howie Ken Drake, Kevin Long. I mean that's pretty special to get these coaches, the best in baseball from different organizations to show up for the kids this weekend.
Speaker 3: No, yeah, that was amazing. Yeah, Troy Tillowitski was there. He's hit and coach at Texas Now. He had a great career. Yeah, but no, it was awesome man. And we were at Camelback Ranch, which obviously that's a great place to be and spend your time. So yeah, it was one of it was one of a kind of In the grounds crew there, I mean they did an unbelievable job helping us keep it, keep it feels nice, and and just helping us run it smoothly. So it was Yeah, it couldn't have gone any better. But the kids got better, that's the main thing. They learned a lot and hopefully they take that to their travel ball teams wherever they go. I mean these kids are from all over the US, and uh yeah, hopefully they go back home and teach their coaches, their their teammates and friends what it's like to be a good person and train hard.
Speaker 1: That's awesome. Blake Snell is our guest on Dodger Talk. This is a great opportunity for you to give, you know, some parents advice on kids in Little League and you know kids that you know parents are trying to put them in travel ball. What's the best piece of advice you can give parents about their kids that are you know, ten to thirteen years old and just how much everybody wants it to be the major leagues at such a young age. What's the best advice you could give parents with kids that want to play Little League or travel ball?
Speaker 3: Yeah, I mean the parents there, you're there to motivate, to pershon in a sense, but ultimately it's a kid. It's actually kid. If they want to play, if it's what their dream is, and if that's their dream is to be you know, the best baseball player, how do you help them? What do you do? I said to the parents, you know, there's there's three questions you ask your son or your daughter after an any game, and it's you know, what did you do good? What did you do bad? What are we going to do better? And if you ask them those three questions, they can kind of guide the whole thing and then tell you, you know, where to come in and help them that. But yeah, it's just a lot of parents, you know, especially younger like eight to twelve, they all think they're kids, you know, the next Ken Griffy, and and they get way too wrapped up in it. Man, it's always been about the kids. So so let the kid, you know, let him tell his story and his career the way he wants. And then parents are there to support, and you got to push them a little bit, but don't get carried away. They're young, they're trying to figure it out still, and you know, just make sure they're around the coach that loves them and gives him, you know, gives your son or daughter, you know, all the information they can to really learn and get better every day.
Speaker 1: Can you explain to me my son, you know, he's in Little League and him and his buddies loss.
Speaker 3: Of what I'm saying with you. It's different because you you. You got big league coaches, and you gotta get better. You know you can't. You got to ask us to help your son. But we know you're talking to him, and that's the problem. You know you need to stay away. Let me talk to Let me talk to him. I got you. You don't get in the way.
Speaker 1: He goes down slides a lot better than I do. I'll just say that.
Speaker 3: Yeah, imagine I'm trying into baseball watching you.
Speaker 1: What is going on with these sliding gloves? Though I'm very much against him having these sliding gloves.
Speaker 3: Hey, man, it's it's part of it a little bit of swag. What about you losing the gonzo huh in that race? People don't forget.
Speaker 1: Man, you're pulling out receipts from a long time ago.
Speaker 3: Snail Zilla's good stuff.
Speaker 1: He got a jump start and I was wearing Justin Turner's cleats.
Speaker 3: Yeah, you know whose shoes. You should have been wearing the same boats and you still would have lost.
Speaker 1: Maybe you went me in spring training. We could go toe to toe.
Speaker 3: Hey, I'm slow and I still win.
Speaker 1: We'll see about that, Dave.
Speaker 3: I promise you might pull a hammy this time.
Speaker 1: I want it's been a long time since pictures were hitting. I could lay down a bunch and beat you the first base.
Speaker 3: Okay, okay, you're getting carried away. Maybe so, because let me tell you what. Yeah. One, you ain't laying a button down. You're gonna miss it or pop it up. Two, you running down the first you ain't beating nobody, not even the guy doing a chalk on the line.
Speaker 1: Are you sure about that though?
Speaker 3: Oh, I'm confident. I've seen you run and that was what I was like. How long ago did you raise Gonzo?
Speaker 1: Oh that was in twenty fifteen. That was eleven years ago.
Speaker 3: Oh man, Yeah, you definitely got a slower.
Speaker 1: I'm not lost to half a step.
Speaker 3: Half a step you both feet?
Speaker 1: Yeah, all right? Since you went to David Buster's Papa Shot, that's my game. And I know you thought you were good in Saint Pete, but I mean that was a while ago.
Speaker 3: I know I'm good at Papa Shot. It's not I know I'm good Dave. You will get cleaned up.
Speaker 1: I mean I feel like that is something that I can compete with you in and not break a bone or ribs or blow out a hammy.
Speaker 3: Knowing you you might jam your finger trying to grab the basketball.
Speaker 1: Dang it.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I mean, whatever you want to play. It could be ping pong, pool, pickleball. You're gonna lose. I just wanted to hand eye coordination. You are not. That's not your game.
Speaker 1: As your life, coach, I'm here to push you in all ways of life.
Speaker 3: You even challenge me in a math.
Speaker 1: Hands down.
Speaker 3: You beat me in that.
Speaker 1: You would beat me in a math test. I'm not even gonna go there.
Speaker 3: I don't know. Maybe that might be head to head. That might be a tough one right there.
Speaker 1: Can you tell us?
Speaker 3: What?
Speaker 1: Can you tell? Tell us what Blake Snell's highlight has been since winning the World Series? Was it Jimmy Kimmel? Was it the King's Game? What was the high What's been the highlight of your championship tour.
Speaker 3: That I'm a Dodger, that's been the highlight of it all?
Speaker 1: Ooh, good answer, good answer.
Speaker 3: Ain't nothing, Dodger.
Speaker 1: Are you ready for making a run to help you get another ring and get the dog? Roger's another ring? You ready for that? It's right around the corner.
Speaker 3: Yes, I'm ready. I'm ready to get back. See the boys, then see the fans. Then steal the energy from the fans and how excited they are, how excited we are, and then there's no time and then we lock in and we uh, we go do this thing together again and win another one.
Speaker 1: I can't wait. I said I was going to retire when Kershaw did, but then you signed on for five more years, so I had to stay.
Speaker 3: Yeah, you can't go, You can't. You gotta stay until I'm done. And then sheehan probably gonna be there next night, and you're gonna be. You're gonna be. You know, you're gonna be here for another until you ninety five. Oh, you might as well. I just stopped saying it.
Speaker 1: All right, all right, I'll stay as long as nell Zilla does.
Speaker 3: I mean, I hope I'm part of the Dodger organization the rest of my life.
Speaker 1: I think you will be if you keep pitching the way you did last year. I mean, it was incredible what you did against the Reds, the Phillies, the Brewers, and the way you were able to empty the tank against the Blue Jays.
Speaker 3: Yeah, we'll get better, We'll get better. I think there's still a lot more that I can do and learn. And yeah, no, I'm looking forward to that.
Speaker 1: All right, all right, So what's what's on tap? Now? I hear you might be taking a trip to MAUI.
Speaker 3: I might, I might. We'll see, we'll see. Okay, so important thing here, the most important thing. I'll be taking a trip to Fantasist. That's the most important thing.
Speaker 1: I love it. I mean, this guy is like Don King. He is a great promoter. January thirty, first Dodger fan Fest. The gates open at nine am. We will have Dodger Talk from Dodger Fest and Blake Snell will be signing autographs. He'll be kissing babies. He'll be having a sliding glove game going on.
Speaker 3: Something I don't know about kissing babies. We believe that. Yeah, for Will Ferrell, not me.
Speaker 1: Oh oh, another one of your Hollywood friends.
Speaker 3: Now I know we're friends. I saw him a couple of times. That's pretty cool. Okay, okay, yeah, so that car about his friends.
Speaker 1: I'll take it and by okay, yeah, I guess you know, just you know a work friend. Basically, you guys are just working around with each other.
Speaker 3: Just put it on the resume. I know them.
Speaker 1: Hey, all right, Snell Zilla, you'll catch him in person January thirty first, and also catch him on Zilla nationals ig and if your kid has kids YouTube, you will see him doing some fun games with the kids out at his tournament that happened this past weekend. He was doing the shell game with sliding myths and all that stuff. The gingerbread guy. My kid has your belt. He bought your belt off of some website, so he wore your belt at his tryouts.
Speaker 3: You look good too. You're welcome. Hoping your chair with some flag too. You're welcome, man.
Speaker 1: Next time, get me a promo code or some How about a promo code next time?
Speaker 3: How about how about a text or a call.
Speaker 1: I wasn't aware of him buying it. His mom bought it for you know.
Speaker 3: Okay, yeah, revert back, revert on.
Speaker 1: Hey, Okay, between now and then, get ready for the pitching side of things. But you better get ready for papa shot. I'm coming after you this spring. You and me.
Speaker 3: Yep, I'll put more focus on the pitching part and the papa so and beat you in my sleep.
Speaker 1: Okay, I'll hit you after the show's over if you want me to. If you send me the voicemail, all good too.
Speaker 3: Now do that and just be on the lookout tomorrow on the Instagram for start to Shirley Temple Post.
Speaker 1: Okay, okay, I love it. I mean I'm in on the Shirley Temples. I put aside the Modellos and now I'm having Shirley Temples.
Speaker 3: Welcome to the big League name.
Speaker 1: There he goes Blake Snell, two time two time cy Young Award winner, and want him more. All right, Blake, I'll talk to you at eight oh one tonight.
Speaker 3: Sounds good. I'm looking forward to it.
Speaker 1: There he goes Blake Snell, the great snell Zilla. There we go, impromptu phone call. We're gonna take a time out when we come back your phone calls. And also Jack Harris from the California Post is gonna call in as well. We'll get some information on Kyle Tucker, bo Bishett, Cody Bellinger and what else the Dodgers may be doing. Dodger talk until eight o'clock. Let snell Zilla know right here on a five to seventy LA sports hell, who's getting ready to come back and have a great year for the Dodgers. He was so big for the Dodgers. I think I think we all sometimes forget about what took place to get the Dodgers to the World Series. And if it's not for what Blake Snell and Taoscar Hernandez did in the NLDS against the Phillies, the Dodgers never even get to the NLCS. And then you have Yamamoto and Blake Snell on the road set the tone again for a sweep in the NLCS. So I know Snell did not pitch his best against the Blue Jays in the World Series. I think he was fighting himself physically a little bit, but without him setting the tone to dominate the Reds. For what he did against the Phillies, and you know what he did against the Brewers, it can't it can't be forgotten. I think we always forget about the fact of what took place to get you to the World Series. And Yamamoto from the beginning of the postseason to the final out of the postseason was the MVP for the Dodgers, and rightfully show so the World Series MVP. But you can't forget about the contributions from guys like Snell and Taoscar Hernandez to beat the Phillies, who many thought were the Dodgers' toughest competition and very well maya beaten the Dodgers if it's not, if it's not for the way Snell pitched, and Taoscar Hernandez is clutch home runs in Philadelphia. Eight six six nine eight seven two five seventy is the phone number coming up. In our next segment, you are going to hear from Jack Harris from the California Post. There was a trade made that concerns the nl WEST. Nolan Arenado finally traded by the Cardinals to the Arizona Diamondbacks. The Cardinals are going to pay the majority of the remaining dollars on his contract the last two years. The Diamondbacks reportedly are only going to pay five million this year six million next year. And when you look at what possibly could transpire the rest of the offseason, it kind of feels like in other markets everybody is frantic about who their team signs who their team doesn't sign. For instance, in Boston, they're freaking out that they didn't aggressively do enough to re sign Alex Bregman. It reportedly came down to the Red Sox not wanting to give him a no trade clause to not defer as many dollars as the Cubs did, and they're freaking out in Boston and it's great. I mean, I love to see Boston sports fans suffer. I don't allow anybody to wear green in our house growing up a Laker fan. Lakers Celtics, no green in the house. Sorry, you're only Saint Patrick's day. I'll allow it for one, but no green in the house. So I thoroughly enjoy the Red Sox and their fan base being miserable right now. I enjoy whenever the Celtics lose. I enjoy whenever the Patriots lose, and hopefully that happens this weekend. But for the Dodgers, they are in such a great position because if you look back, they won another World Series championship and did not trade any of their top prospects. All these young outfielders you hear about, they didn't trade a single one for Duran who went to the Phillies, for David Bednar who went to the Mets from the Pirates, or Yankees from the Pirates. Those teams traded some valuable pieces and didn't win the World Series. The Dodgers won the World Series for a second straight year, acquired Brock Stewart for James Outman, and still he pitched really and they still won the World Series thanks to their great starting pitching that was, you know, versatile enough to be able to change roles like Emmit Shean, Tyler Glass now Yama Moto to be able to pick up where the Dodger bullpen just couldn't do it this year. And Justin Robleski is another one of those unsung heroes out of the bullpen. So the Dodgers. My point is, if the Dodgers don't sign Tucker, the sky's not falling, and they are still better than the majority of all the teams in baseball. If the Dodgers don't sign Bellinger, they're still better than most of the teams in baseball, certainly better than the Yankees, if all things are equal. If I'm Cody Bellinger, I'm signing with the Dodgers. The Yankees are not going anywhere. I would argue that they are the third best team in their division right now, behind the Orioles and the uh and who else, the Rays, I would say behind the Orioles. Of course, the Blue Jays Oriols and Blue Jays better than the Yankees. So you know, if the Dodgers don't sign him, it's still okay. Now. If Bob Baschett signs with the Phillies, they're that much better. They again would be to me, the toughest obstacle between the Dodgers and a three p it would be the Phillies if they signed Bo Baschett. So that's where things stand right now. And look, even if they don't sign one of these three free agent players, there's still a trade possibility with the Cardinals for either Brendan Donovan or Lars Noobar. Let's go out to Malibu. Bob. You're on Dodger Talk. How you doing, Bob.
Speaker 4: Did great to hear your voice, Man, Thanks for keeping up on everything even in the offseason and all the hustle you're doing.
Speaker 3: Man, we appreciate it.
Speaker 1: My pleasure, my pleasure.
Speaker 4: I'm calling him, man, just to sink some praises. You know, you brought up a great point last week, and I think it often gets overlooked. Max Munsey's home run in Game seven one of my favorite Dodger home runs of all time. The way he hit that ball, where it went, how it went, and what it meant in that game. Man, it just doesn't get enough credit because of of course Miguel Rojas and the amazing home run he hit, and of course Will's winning one. But Big Months, Man, we're lucky to have that dude at third. I know that there's been talks at different times and people's thoughts on Max, but I'm a Max supporter, man. I'll always be in that guy's corner. He's been a great, great third basement for this team.
Speaker 3: Man.
Speaker 4: I'm happy he's with us.
Speaker 1: No doubt, Bob. And the greatest thing you could say about a player, especially on a team like the Dodgers, is that Munsey shows up in the biggest moments of the postseason. And that's why Max Munsey. People may not know this has the most career home runs for the Dodgers in the history of the franchisees postseason. He has sixteen career postseason home runs with the Dodgers. That's three more than Seeger and Justin Turner. So that's the type of lunch performer Max Months he has been since twenty eighteen.
Speaker 3: He's the man.
Speaker 4: He always comes up, like you said, in the clutch, and he just seems to be a solid presence in the clubhouse with the team you know the way he organized everyone to not make the same mistakes of the pass last year on their way to a World Series win.
Speaker 3: And look at us now.
Speaker 4: Back to back champions Man, So us as fans, we're lucky to have a guy like Monty along with all the other guys. If the team was to remain the way it is today, I'd be happy and confident going into this season just like we were last season.
Speaker 3: Men.
Speaker 1: All right, Bob, thanks for the phone call. I'll say this. You know, I would be fine with it because I'm a big believer that Taoscar Hernandez is going to have a bounce back year and Mookie Betts is going to have a bounce back year. I mean, the guy played behind the eight ball since Japan where he lost twenty pounds with that weird flu like symptoms that he was dealing with, So you would expect him to be able to bounce back and have a better year. Speaking of Mookie, bet I saw on his Instagram account he's going to be in my neighborhood. He's going to be in Canoga Park at the BEVMO this Thursday promoting his new tequila. Now I'm wondering at these things that he shows up at. I know he's at a Costco and Marina del Rey. Does he sign the bottle of the tequila or do you have to buy a bottle of tequila to meet him? I went to Shaquille O'Neil CD signing when I was in high school, and you couldn't get him to sign a basketball, he would just sign the CD. You had to buy a CD. He would sign the CD. Is that the same thing here? I mean, Mooki's going to be at the BEVMO on Thursday morning, so who knows I might show up there. Eight six six nine eight seven two five seventy is the phone number in case you missed the show. Earlier, we had a surprise phone call from the one and only Blake's. Now you could podcast that on the iHeartRadio app. And coming up next, we are going to get the latest information on where the Dodgers stand with Kyle Tucker from the newest edition to the California Post. Jack Harris, that's right, the California Post ruining sports media, just swooping all these great writers, well not all of them are great, but Jack's good. He's going to join us next right here on five to seventy. LA Sports is going to be Thursday night at seven o'clock and Dalton Rushing is going to be our special guest next week. Chris Taylor and Rick Monday are going to join us on our two shows of Dodger Talk, and we are getting closer to spring training. I'll be out there February thirteenth. Dodger Fest is January Saturday, January thirty. First, you can get more information and tickets at Dodgers dot com slash Dodgerfest. And Blake Snell, who surprised us earlier in the show tonight, did a great job of promoting that teasing that and he'll be out there as well. So should be another great time at Dodger Stadium. Looking forward to the repeat champions trying to run it back for a three pet becoming the first team since the Yankees from ninety eight to two thousand to accomplish that feat, and certainly the Dodgers have the players to do that. We'll see who else shows up at camel Back Ranch, and maybe Jack Harris knows the answer. Formally of the LA Times now a member of the California Post, which we'll launch on January twenty sixth I am excited about that because of the headlines and because of Jack. Jack's probably the only guy I'm excited to read of who they have hired so far. Jack, congratulations on the move and welcome the Dodger Talk for the first time as a member of the California Post.
Speaker 2: Yeah, thanks, Dave. I'll be sure to clip that audio right there and send it to my fellow California Post colleague Dylan Hernandez, who will also be helping me cover the dots, even if you might not be reading him.
Speaker 1: Yeah. When I saw they hired Dylan Hernandez, I thought he was going to cover hockey. I was surprised that he's covering baseball.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 2: No, me and unleashed on the Dodgers. But hey, by the way, congratulations to you for your talk show host of the Year award, well deserved.
Speaker 1: Oh thank you, Jack. I appreciate that. It feels like you're just trying to, you know, reciprocate with some kindness after I really pumped you up right there. But I appreciated Jack Harris of the California Post. All right, Jack, we are being inundated from the East Coast media, including your teammates. Now from the New York Post about the Mets at Kyle Tucker. How about the Dodgers and Kyle Tucker. How in are the Dodgers on Kyle Tucker.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I mean, I think his free agency has has evolved in a way that makes the Dodgers an option given the fact that you know, as my New Post colleague John Hayman was one of the people to report today that he's, you know, getting a from the Mets at least a shorter term offer now for a big number, for fifty million a year. I know. ESPN also reported that the Blue Jays might have a longer term offer out there. I think of the three right now, just because of the fact that he might be you know, he might be someone who's willing to sign a shorter term deal that maybe compared to Boba Schett or Cody Bellinger, he's the one free agent that to that end would fit with the Dodgers. I think the question is going to be, you know, you go back to the start of the off season, the one consistent message that the Dodgers put out there was that they feel really comfortable with the team that they have, with the lineup that they have. You know, you look last year, even with some of the struggles with Michael Confordo playing every day as one of the worst qualified hitters in the majors, even with the injuries they had, it was the second highest scoring lineup in the majors. It was good enough to win another World Series. And I think the question will be with all these top free agents, are the Dodgers comfortable maybe doing something out of their comfort zone and you know, fifty million a year for Kyle Tucker I think is probably you know, qualified as one of those things that they would have to really think about trying to match. Or are they content kind of keeping the group together, maybe looking for a trade, looking for a smaller signing going into the season, and then reassessing it the deadline. So you know, I think, you know, a week or two ago, the market was probably working more in their favor in terms of their being still three or four top bats available, maybe not enough teams willing to offer or make the kind of big offers that you know, the Dodgers wouldn't be willing to match. But now because Bragman signed with the Cubs unexpectedly, because the Phillies have come in for Bashette unexpectedly, and because the Mets have made this unexpectedly big offer to Tucker, I think it's just a little bit more difficult to envision the Dodgers doing it. But you know, Kyle Tucker is somebody who fills a hole for them, who has the kind of offensive profile they would like. And I think because it is a shorter term deal, even for a big number, it's still a possibility.
Speaker 1: What do you make of the fact that the Dodgers now for the third straight year, are over the luxury tax and over the highest threshold, which means they pay one hundred and ten percent on every dollar. So essentially, for Kyle Tucker's fifty million dollars annual salary, they would be paying him basically one hundred and five million dollars a year, if it's straight up, How much does that play into not only Tucker, but Bellinger and bo bashett.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I mean it's part of it.
Speaker 3: You know.
Speaker 2: The way the Dodgers' front office talks about it is they have the flexibility to do the moves that they feel they need to, but they are also operating on a three to five year kind of rolling payroll scale and thinking about not just the short term benefits of potential signings, but also the potential long term consequences. And when it comes to somebody like Kyle Tucker, for his skilled to a hitter as he is, there's also someone who's missed more than one hundred games over the last two years, you know who. I think there's a reason he hasn't gotten maybe some of those bigger, longer term deals that a lot of people projected him for in the offseason, and the Dodgers have to weigh that against again the group that they have. You know, I do believe them when they said they weren't going to be desperate to go out and make a big splash, especially on the position player side, and part of that is because of the payroll or not because they can't afford to make that kind of move. You know, I think that the one obvious benefit they have is that for as big of tax payments as they've had to make in the last couple of years, a lot of that's offset by the fact that Shoheo tanis differring the amount of money he is and is driving the amount of revenue that he is for the club. So they have the financial flexibility to do it. The question is going to be, you know, do they feel like that is a move that moves the needle enough for them with what's already a really good team next year, and that even on a shorter term deal, you know, it does come with some risk. Again, given Kyle Tucker's got injury history. You look at some of the inconsistencies last year. So that's why I think again, like fifty million dollars is a lot be the third highest SALA for any player in baseball next year if he were to take a deal like that. So I think it's you know, even on a shorter term pack, not something that I'm certain the Dodgers would do, but it is something you know that they'll have to consider because of the fit he provides on the roster.
Speaker 1: Jack Harris of the New California Post is joining us on Dodger talk. I reported last week that the Dodgers have left the door open for reunion with Cody Bellinger, but obviously on their terms, which wouldn't be for seven years. What are your sources telling you about the possibility of Cody and the Dodgers reuniting this off season?
Speaker 2: Yeah, I mean seven years. It might not even be. I don't think the Dodgers right now are very comfortable even going to the kind of five year offer that the New York Yankees are making to Cody Bellinger. I know that the Yankees and Bellinger are kind of stuck right now because Bellinger wants the years. The Yankees feel like they're making, you know, what they see as a decent offer. And obviously there's been reports that they could look, you know, elsewhere, the Yankees could to maybe replace him on the roster. I still think right now, you know, one side at five, one side at seven. If I had to bet on an outcome, a six year deal in New York probably makes sense for Bellinger, depending on how the rest of his market shapes up. But you know, there's a you know, if the Yankees do pivot to the trade market, if he does have to consider other options. I think the Dodgers again like the transformation he's made as a hitter, cutting down on the strikeouts, being better at making contact. Obviously his defense is really valuable in the outfield, and even on a three to four year deal with somebody who could provide versatility at other positions. So, as of right now, given what the Yankees are offering, given the fit that you know he would present in New York, I'd be surprised if that situation got to a place where the Dodgers were suddenly front runners to sign him. But there's so a lot of time I'm left in the winner. There's still things that could change, and as long as him and the Yankees are struggling to get a deal across the finish line, the Dodgers, as Andrew Friedman likes to say, I'm sure, will be around the backboard kind of waiting to see how that plays out, all right.
Speaker 1: The other way, they could pivot, because there's so many ways in their position that they can pivot because of what they've done the last couple of years and the players that they already have. If they decide that they don't want to go where it needs to go for Tucker or Cody Bellinger or Bo Bashett. What are you hearing about the possibility of making a trade with the Cardinals for either Brendan Donovan or Lars Noubar.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I mean that's obviously the alternative. You know, coming into the offseason, a trade is something that I think a lot of people with the Dodgers were expecting them to do. Given the talent they have in their farm system, given the pitching depth that they have, which is always a coveted command, they seemed like a team that would have a lot of options there. Obviously, with someone like Brenda Donovan, I think the Cardinals have been driving a pretty hard bargain on him. And then you know, someone like Large new Bar is a fit now as he as much of an impact bat as those other free agents know. And if the cost is going to be maybe young starting pitching that the Dodgers might need to rely on this year for depth purposes and to get through the season, you know, obviously that's that makes something trickier. So I think that's part of it right now. I think also, you know, the Dodgers probably do want to wait and see kind of what happens with some of these free agent guys before they go all in on a trade or parting with you know, younger pieces that they like, but they are still well positioned there. I think that kind of plays into some of this free agency pursuit too, is the fact that they know if they don't end up with one of these guys, there are going to be other avenues to explore to help round out the roster. And again, even if those are smaller names or lesser impact guys, I think you have to go back to remembering that this team in the front office does believe in the group that they have, does believe that they're going to be a strong offensive unit no matter what they do next year, and could be content bypassing the top of the free agent market waiting to see if a large new bar somebody like that is a possibility.
Speaker 3: I think that.
Speaker 2: Side of what they could do this winner, though, will kind of depend on how probably the next week or so plays out on the free agent front.
Speaker 1: All right, we got a minute left. After all that being said, Jack, what do you believe the Dodgers do?
Speaker 2: I at this point, again, because of the way the free agent market is developed. You know, if you had asked me a week ago, I would have thought it would be more probable they would land one of these top three guys. But things have changed over the last couple of days to the point where it's probably more difficult to see them doing that now. So look, I would still figure that a pivot to the trade market is a more likely outcome at this point, or maybe a smaller free agent signing. I think, you know, someone like Lars Newpark kind of fits what they're looking for. So if I had to pay one thing, it might be that, But there's a lot of different avenues that could still go down. That's the position they like to be in. They like having options, they like trying to look for value, and to that end, you know, they're still in an okay spot for the rest of this winner.
Speaker 1: Hey, new Bar's got the stamp of Otani over him. We know that, so that makes him a good fit on the biggest level right there. All right, Jack, thanks a lot for filling us in on what you're hearing, and look forward to having you back on the show before spring training as a new member of the California Post. Can't wait to read your first story beginning January twenty sixth.
Speaker 2: Appreciated day Banks.
Speaker 1: There he goes, Jack Harris, formerly of the La Times and now one of the newest members, will be covering the Dodgers for the California Post, alongside Dylan Hernandez, who I think they were considering covering the Anaheim Ducks, but you know, maybe just want to get him motivated to get on that hockey beat next fall. All right, that'll do it for us. No, Dylan does a great job. He obviously has a great rapport with the Japanese players. He's tri lingual English, Spanish, Japanese. When I first met Dylan, he didn't want to come on the show when Many Ramirez was hot, and he pretended like he didn't speak English. So that's how he got out of coming on the show. But getting to know Dylan, I can understand that ploy anyway. Our next show is Thursday. Dalton Rushing is gonna be our guest. Thanks to Blake Snell for calling in, Thanks to Jack Harris, and thanks to you for listening. In case you missed any of the show, you can find it on the iHeartRadio app. Have a great rest of your night. Fox Sports Radio is next. See