Speaker 1: We have a special guest in studio with us this morning. If you have any pains in your body anywhere, this man can help you. Shannon's been talking about him on our Detroit station channel ninety five to five during the commercial breaks, and now we get to have him in studio. I actually have been and probably will be a patient of yours, because I've gone to you before when I've had pains. Doctor Cogan is in studio.
Speaker 2: With US Institute Nerves Institute.
Speaker 1: I actually went to you because I did have lower back problems, and I remember the first time. I first off, can I it's first, you look great, You don't age at all? Oh age? Now you don't fantastic, No, seriously, but I will tell you that if you if you're somebody that has dealt with any kind of pains in your life, the worst thing in the world. I'd rather have a headache that it is like MIGRAINI ish than have my lower back hurt me. Because if the lower back, back, or any kind of pains hurt you, you're inoperable. Right, you can't do anything consumes your life. I mean, it's awful. And so Shannon's been talking about the nerve disk institute and all this stuff, and I need to know about this whole thing. I need to know what you're doing and what's the whole you know game that's been happening here that's getting people back on their feet. I've got friends of mine without surgery. That's really crazy.
Speaker 2: Part is no surgery, no inject I've watched my mom get injection after injection after injection after injection for her knees, and this is no injection, no surgery.
Speaker 1: No drugs. I've golfing buddies that have gone to doctor Coogan and literally they used to four holes in have to quit because they were hurting. Now they're finishing around and beating my ass. But what is it that you got going on?
Speaker 3: Well, you know, it's interesting because traditionally, if you had a back problem or a severe knee problem, if you had degeneration, you really only had three options. One is to live with it. Here's the problem with living with those conditions. They they're degenerative. They get worse with time. Second option is to manage it. A lot of ways to do it. Anti inflammatories, painkillers, physical therapy, chiropractic acupuncture, massage that but durals, lasers, or cortizone injection, the needs any and all these things can help you feel better, but they don't do anything to fix the problem. And then the third option and the only correction oportunity with surgery. Here's the problem with surgery is one it's a big deal, and two, especially in spine surgeries, they don't necessarily have great outcomes.
Speaker 1: You know, they don't have great success rates.
Speaker 3: So we created a fourth option, and the Nerve and Disk Institute is really based around correcting problems. So instead of managing symptoms or trying to regenerate a little bit of tissue, we've come up with a system that does all these things and allows the body to heal itself. Where we see pre and post changes on many of our patients. In other words, Alvin Mri was someone that had a herniated disk and three months later it's gone. Or someone that's bone on bone on the knee or near bone on bone and we've created some space there and then we give them tools to maintain that forever. Because my philosophy is real simple. After being with the Lions for fourteen years and the Tigers for the past.
Speaker 1: Several years, well.
Speaker 3: I had a good medical statua too, But at the end of the day, I didn't want to travel anymore too. But at the end of the day, you know, we want to. I treat our patients like professional athletes, because if you just chase symptoms, it ultimately leads to surgery. And our systems, all of them, are designed to repair problems.
Speaker 1: I think. First off, Don Riola, speaking of the Lions, was one of the people that turned me on to you and to go to you because I had pain. I was coaching his son Dylan at the time, and so he said, you know, you got to go see doctor Cogan, and you and I kind of know each other over time. But tell everybody what it is involved in this. Is it a lot of appointments that you got to do. Is it an ongoing thing. Is it something where you magically, all of a sudden, go boop, you're heeled. Well, here's the deal.
Speaker 3: Since it's not pain management, it's not a one and done, so there's two, multiple visits, and the number of visits can range from anywhere from five on the low end to fifty five. It really depends what the problem is. The pain's gone, Yeah, well that is.
Speaker 1: The pain's gone.
Speaker 2: You've repaired the problem.
Speaker 3: And that's the key. So you know, it's easy to take something or get a shot for pain. It's harder to fix something. And most people that come to us it took years. They've had a problem for years and it took a long time to get there. So it does take some time to fix. But the idea is everything is designed to repair it. So there's a beginning, of middle and an end and then we'll give you some exercises to continue doing it home forever.
Speaker 1: And it's wild. I had choulder surgery this past year because I tore my uh you don't even to tell the good doctor how I fell down the stairs drunk at Harper's. But it's going to be a little more fun story. But it's wild, though, because I feel like good, My shoulder are good. But occasionally, you know, I get a little bit of the stiffness. I need to like figure out, you know, where I want to get, Like, I don't want to be paid. I'm not in total pain, but I want to like work it out a little bit.
Speaker 3: So you know, it's funny that you brought that up, because in December we opened a new division because called and it's it's called the Nerve and Disc Laser Institute. Because normally, out of every ten people we see, I may except three or four. So one or two out of ten aren't candidates can't do it. Four or five out of ten who are technically safe to treat I don't find to be good enough candidates to get the results.
Speaker 1: I'd be happy we actually turn people down because you don't want to take their money.
Speaker 3: Yeah, yeah, listen. I I'd rather fail. I'd rather not have someone as a patient than fail to get results. So but what we did is these people had no other alternative but to do surgery, and we opened up a laser division to help these people that, like you with your shoulder, I may not be able to fix your shoulder, but I.
Speaker 1: Think my shoulder's fine. I think, honestly, I just need to need to it up. I don't know.
Speaker 3: We've got the highest, highest intensity laser to help get your motion back and reduce your pain.
Speaker 1: Hey, Jerry wants to ask you a question real quick. Doctor Cogan on with us right now? And what does it called again?
Speaker 2: Nerve and Nerve and Disc Institute.
Speaker 1: What's up, Jerry?
Speaker 4: How are you doing good?
Speaker 1: Say hi? Say hi to doctor Cogan.
Speaker 4: Hi Jerry, Hey, Hey, how you doing doctor?
Speaker 1: Good? Good? How are you not bad?
Speaker 4: I've got de genitive disc in my back and I've got a steel cage in my neck and my back. My low, we're back. I fell. I felled the other night and hit the floor pretty hard. I'm on my way to the hospital now because something's not right. I can't physically move right. I'm I'm hurting somehow, someway. But where are you located at? We're taking a hold of you at.
Speaker 3: So we've got offices in Farmington, Clinton Township, Grand Blank and now bad Acts. So after you have it evaluated at the hospital, feel free to give us a call. You know, I was gonna I was gonna tell Mojo We're going to offer iHeart listeners for forty nine dollars, a two days process of consultation, examination, review of any X ray or MRI findings, and a free laser treatment included in that forty nine for you.
Speaker 1: It's free. Jerry, Jerry, Jerry, Jerry, you gotta go, Jerry, seriously.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I'm gona have to get you aggressive. One of you guys send it to talk to me.
Speaker 1: I remember, Lydia is gonna give it to you off the air hair right now, Jerry.
Speaker 3: But still go to the hospital first. If you're not feeling right, get that cherry out, then call me.
Speaker 1: You didn't get yours the same way I did five glasses of bourbon. I don't drink, but I had.
Speaker 4: I had no.
Speaker 2: No, there's a story, Jerry.
Speaker 1: We'll hear from you after talk, Doctor Cogan. Tell us what happened to Jerry? Actually you can it's hippop. So how do people make appointments? How do they get in?
Speaker 3: Well, they can either go to our website, nerve disk instude dot com or call five eight six four to one six disc it's five eight six four one six three four seven two.
Speaker 1: Good thing about this being on a podcast too, is you can rewind what you just heard.
Speaker 5: So if I haven't fallen right, I didn't get drunk, or I didn't have a Jerry episode or anything like that, I may just not be as active as maybe I should be. My back is always hurting, not like where I can't get out of bed, but like right now, I can feel tightness, I can feel tension. I feel myself having a stretch or turn almost like every thirty minutes.
Speaker 1: My neck, maybe my mouth fat, Shannon, you want to throw it away? Anybody else, anybody, I want to thank you. Good back to the business. AA.
Speaker 5: My neck hurts sometimes. I don't know if it's how I'm laying or my pillows too thin. But is that enough for me to come in and see you or do I need for something crazy to happen?
Speaker 3: So most of the first of all, you would be a perfect patient for our laser portion of our office because it can help loosen all that stuff up. Most of the people that I see have severe or chronic problem. You know, their knees are bone on bone, or their spine. They can have a severely degenerative bulging or herniated disk and may have nerve pain. So I might be an overkill for you, but that's why we created this laser division.
Speaker 1: It's good to start right. Yes, absolutely, do I get it free like Jerry? Absolutely, we'll do. Absolutely. Kara has a very important question, and what is that question? Kara?
Speaker 2: Do you see children and do you see patients that have CIDP?
Speaker 3: So the answer is children. I don't see little children. So you know, if I see a lot of high school athletes that are juniors or seniors that are trying to become college athletes or pros. We don't see little kids. That's really not our thing. I have seen kids as young as thirteen in certain instances, but there's a lot of pediatric place to see kids. But you know, listen, you can always give me a call. I will always call you back anybody. And I'm happy to help people direct them in the right direction if it's something we can't help them with.
Speaker 1: Pain's the worst and the worst is and I don't want to go too dark, but people with a lot of pain sometimes turned towards you know, the motrens and the which is not good to be. But then it gets worse, right, yeah, and I and I feel like that's the thing, like you spend all that money doing popping the pills and you're not actually treating the problem, like you said, so again, Channing.
Speaker 2: Okay, So it's the Nerve Disk Institute and you can find doctor Cogan and all of his locations at Nervediscinstitute dot com.
Speaker 1: Probably the easiest way. Great to see you again. I'll see I'll see the laser people here. What office is that out of or all of them? You do, just let me know when you want to make an appointment for bad acts. I'm going to head up the bad acts. Come to the same office he's coming to. Or yeah, you guys could come together. You weigh us beforehand, because that hold car right back