Speaker 1: How's the stream stream commencing broadcasting on a five seventy l A sports and streaming on the iHeartRadio while it's.
Speaker 2: The longest running afternoon sports show in the city.
Speaker 3: No congratulations necessary. All traces of Fred Rogan have been removed.
Speaker 1: This is Petros in Money, Thank You, Thank You, hosted by Petros Papadacres.
Speaker 3: Terrible person, He's the worst and Matt money Smith the pipes, the pipes, the pie. Don't miss an episode. We're with you. Yeah, follow the petros in Money Show.
Speaker 1: Wherever you get your podcasts now Here's Petros Papadacus and Matt money Smith.
Speaker 4: And me.
Speaker 3: Yeah, yeah, your day. It's more.
Speaker 1: You ask me for too much them yeah ye.
Speaker 2: Pe trust Money Liam seventy LA Sports Live everywhere on the iHeartRadio app. Final Hour, a full four hour show today. We'll have a full four hour show tomorrow Thursday, Little Flex Alert two to four pm and then back to a full show on Friday. So a busy PMS this week. Only a smidge of play by play that is coming Thursday, and it will not be Thursday Night Football Instead. Clippers v. Kevin Durant and the Houston Rockets out in Houston on a flex alert. Now the more important Thursday is a week from Thursday, because that will be our final live appearance of the twenty twenty five calendar year, and it will be back in one of our favorite spots, always a packed house, always a great enthusiastic crowd in West Covina at the BJ's Restaurant in brew House three until seven pm. And our collection of big brains over here was able to knock heads together and come up with a hell of a lot of prizes for people that want to come vis That's right, Matt.
Speaker 3: We've emptied out the office, so there will be a great deal of stuff, some of it trash, some of it treasure. And one man's trash is another man's treasure. So go figure.
Speaker 2: Hey, you won't leave empty handed to look at it. Is it a T shirt you really wanted? Maybe not, but at least I wanted in a Surf Side Vodka T shirt.
Speaker 3: We've got tickets, we've got gift cards, and we've got a Westinghouse HDTV. That's the new development since the weekend. That and the fact that we will not have Ronnie Fossio's karaoke machine. She said, no, that's what we were told yesterday. It is time for the final hour fun fat.
Speaker 2: It's fun effect.
Speaker 3: It's yeah, we're three fun fun fact brought to you by our friends at Concordia University Masters in Coaching and Athletics Administration Program. It's a fact. There's over two thousand graduates of this program in colleges and high schools in the state of California alone. Accelerate and elevate your career by joining the vast community of excellence. Visit CUI dot EEDU slash coaching Concordia University IRVINES Masters in Coaching and Athletics Administration Program.
Speaker 2: Your final hour fun fact revolves around consumption and the holiday season. Between Black Friday.
Speaker 3: You're not talking about tuberculos not talking about Doulos is also prevalent during the holiday.
Speaker 2: Yes, between Black Friday, not black Lung, Black Friday and Christmas Eve. Lego sells twenty eight Lego sets per second.
Speaker 3: Wow, it's a great way to occupy your mind as a child.
Speaker 2: Huh, twenty eight per second.
Speaker 3: Of those we have, one hundred have gone since we've been done, just like that, almost one thousand, now ten thousand.
Speaker 2: Not it's insanity.
Speaker 3: It is time for the quick ants TMS quick hits, y'all. Oh yeah, the Dodgers today made a splashy sh Dodgers could win it. Well, you'd be right to say that they're probably the favorite in the last two years, a big splash and free agency, reportedly agreeing to terms with Edwin Diaz three years, sixty nine million dollar deal. DAZ nine. It's thirty one years old.
Speaker 2: I heard they offered him seventy and as I can no man give me sixty nine.
Speaker 3: And we are way too old for that. I heard they offered him sixty seven sixty seven. You yes. He has three All Star games logged and a one point sixty three ERA and converted twenty eight of thirty one save chances for the Mets last season. Andy has a song and he blew out his knee celebrating in the World Baseball Classic. The Cautionary Tale about the World Baseball Classic. He really is best closer entrance song ever. I don't know, I'd really love California Love. That sucks, but ken Lee Janssen doesn't touch this. But California Love specifically with ken Lee right, I thought was really impactful in its moment in time the kids loved when they heard it.
Speaker 2: Did they? Oh?
Speaker 3: Put that question.
Speaker 2: Rodger Stadium, when this thing comes on. I was gonna say, it's gonna be great when we're there, but there's no chance for staying till the.
Speaker 3: Mountain never show.
Speaker 1: Hey.
Speaker 3: Otani has won the Associated Press Male Athlete of the Year for the fourth time. When he was told this man wow, man freaky, walked right past his wife and made out with his dog, breaking a tie with Michael Jordan, he now ties Lance Armstrong.
Speaker 2: Well, that's Lance Armstrong's really held up in that category. So is Lebron James really held up Tiger Woods?
Speaker 3: Well? Uh, for most wins all time among Mael Honarees. But Otani's never had any controversy surrounding him. Pers no big deal, that's personal.
Speaker 2: Hey, where's that one?
Speaker 5: Do that?
Speaker 3: That's right?
Speaker 4: What is it?
Speaker 2: Sixty months in jail?
Speaker 3: Quickly receiving this award multiple times is something truly special, Otani said last year, I said I wanted to win this award again, and I will work hard so that I can win it again next year as well.
Speaker 2: Be huge, because then he would pass Tiger Woods, Lance Armstrong and Lebron James.
Speaker 3: Tim Kates prophesied this yesterday when we were doing quick hits. He said, there's no way, no way Schwarber doesn't end up Swars he says, he stays, they're gonna have to sign him. He led that clubhouse with Bryce Harper. He's beloved in Philly. He's a Philly guy. That's what Kate said. And lo and behold, look Kyle Schwarber and the Philadelphia Phillies are finalizing a five year, one hundred and fifty million dollar contract. Schwarp stays man, stays and lifts weights in his home gym in Philadelphia.
Speaker 2: Now the Lakers, wasn't Schwarber at one point freaking steamhead Kate's wasn't he designated for assignment?
Speaker 3: Schwarbs? Yeah, I believe so. He's been up and down the ladder, Matt. I mean he reinvented his.
Speaker 2: Body though, Matt. And see how chiseledee is now and oh oh he looks kind of portly.
Speaker 3: No, Matt, he's swollen, is he? Yeah? Just not everybody has the two percent body fat and flappy hair like you. Okay, Now the Lakers are seventeen and six. A lot of skinny guys on that team. Matt, you'd appreciate their home on Wednesday to host Wemby, very skinny guy and the San Antonio Spurts.
Speaker 2: Very tall. I don't know if you heard about this Wemby. They say that he's listed it like seven to two, but he's really seven five right, And.
Speaker 3: You know a lot of these basketball players are pretty tall and long, but he really sets himself apart in length and tallness.
Speaker 2: Football players want to list themselves as being taller. Basketball players want to list themselves as being short.
Speaker 3: I don't look. I want people to know that I'm tall, but I don't want people to think I'm a freak. But you are a free giant bug out there.
Speaker 2: I do not like it.
Speaker 3: So Rich Paul, the guy who runs Clutch Sports. Rich Paul runs Clutch Sports and Max Kellerman. See now, Max Kellerman is valuable to Rich Paul because Max Kellerman's existence pisses off stephen A Smith.
Speaker 2: So and Lebron and steven A had that little run. They had a beef and you know steven A was going to throw down with Lebron. Yeah they got now I was ready to step up.
Speaker 3: Rich Paul and Kellerman have a podcast together to upset steven A, which it already has. And of course when you start something new, you need something to draw people to listen.
Speaker 2: So hot take.
Speaker 3: Well, it wasn't just the anger between steven A and Max Kellerman, but now Rich Paul talking about Lebron James and the Lakers not having enough to win a title, Like, I.
Speaker 6: Personally don't think the Lakers are good enough to be contenders.
Speaker 3: Right now, not right now.
Speaker 7: When you say contenders, what do you mean, I.
Speaker 6: Don't think they have enough to get to the Western Conference. Fint I don't think they have enough to get to really contend. From that person, So the whole casey isn't a class by themselves very much. They won a million games last year, they won the title. They have one loss in twenty three in one now, can't keep count, right, So it's crazy.
Speaker 2: They're really good.
Speaker 7: And I always thought even last year week, they're this good and they're gonna get Chet Holmgren at a certain point, like that's a lot, right, that's a lot, And and here they are. They're rolling now, they're confident because they just won the championship. They're maturing, they're getting better. You think the Lakers don't fit in with the rest of the pack. They got the second best record right now, Yeah.
Speaker 2: But we've seen that afforded.
Speaker 6: That doesn't mean I think when you look at we've seen it right, we've seen you have the talent up top that they have.
Speaker 3: Those guys can win games.
Speaker 2: Okay Lebron and Luca, but also Austin.
Speaker 3: Step.
Speaker 6: But then things start to really when you come to back half of the season where guys are really now they have their conditioning.
Speaker 2: It's one thing.
Speaker 6: Then when you go into the playoffs, we've seen last year they ran into athleticism and length they struggle. So when you look at it now, athleticism, length, shooting speed, right, because now can the Lakers play fast?
Speaker 2: I don't think think so. I don't think so.
Speaker 3: There you go. So isn't two thirds of the roster all clutch sports guys. He's planting seeds us he's saying his guys aren't good. That's the seed planting expedition you just heard.
Speaker 2: That was not compelling in the least. What are you talking about? He's planting the seeds. That's terrible. The only thing I kept thinking of was the opening a straight out of Compton. You are now about to witness the strength a street violence and then it hits.
Speaker 3: It's not a posse, it's my group of friends.
Speaker 6: Like I personally don't think the Lakers are good enough to be contenders right not right now.
Speaker 8: It's hot.
Speaker 3: Resent representatives usually.
Speaker 2: They avoid the media like, Hey, I called there for a comment, and they here's the podcast.
Speaker 3: Here's what I'm going to say. What I say? Uh, the Chargers big win last night, coming off of win and four over the Eagles Monday Night football last night, going to Kansas City to face the Chiefs on Sunday, a rematch of the Brazil game.
Speaker 2: They won that one.
Speaker 3: I remember, it's a big win.
Speaker 1: I know.
Speaker 3: Now the Rams have won ten. They're ten and three and they're at home on Sunday versus Stafford's old team, the Detroit Lions. I hope that Kelly Stafford is protected from those evil Detroit fans. That will be very likely.
Speaker 2: In that she should do a podcast in the stadium, talk about the internal conflict she's having. Well, you know, my three kids were born in today. They've got a good streak going without her podcast. Yeah, so they might want to keep that going. She's got to express herself. You're not supposed to keep these things inside. You get all pent up and it affects your mental health. You got to have a real you know it. She needs a release, She needs the podcast.
Speaker 3: UCLA introduced their new head coach today. Well here's part of his introduction.
Speaker 5: But alignment was a word that continued to show up over and over and over again, and I think.
Speaker 3: They got a new s idea over there.
Speaker 5: Get around guy and the opportunity you have when you think you can't succeed or would like to succeed. It takes three things from the people really above you that you're asking for. And the first one is do they understand.
Speaker 3: Is this better worse than Sean Foster?
Speaker 5: What you're actually going through? Its chests, fun the things that.
Speaker 2: We just kind of distracting forward and hardly hear the messagers, the behind the audience, and Martin certainly does that they.
Speaker 3: Have sense taking this video off of YouTube.
Speaker 2: But we were able to do the cash as the kids like to say, oh I cashed that S and here it is.
Speaker 3: Bob Chesney's five years speaking of cash from Twitter, but I cashed that S. Cashing it in is thirty three point seventy five million dollar contract for him to make an annual salary of six point seventy five million. WHOA, that's a lot.
Speaker 2: That's I mean, he could be an actual duke with that kind of money as opposed to just coaching the dukes.
Speaker 3: You cannot buy a title. I'm sorry you used to be able to. Not anymore, Matt.
Speaker 2: You scratched out a check to the pope and next thing.
Speaker 3: You know, you've got to be great at some You get great enough at UCLA football to get the Queen or the King or whoever to recognize you as a sir, and then that's about as close as you're gonna get an MB right British Empire.
Speaker 2: Now we got the Duke of sports here at the station.
Speaker 3: He's self crowned like lebron Is crowning himself.
Speaker 2: He took on Sam amk That's something a duke would do.
Speaker 3: He's flying back to Virginia to coach James Madison against Oregon in the first round of the College Football.
Speaker 2: Player They're gonna beat the Ducks in Oregon's going to get a lesson about what's coming their way when he takes over at UCLA.
Speaker 3: You know, you never know what's going to happen in college football, but I would say it's not likely.
Speaker 2: No, I believe they're thirty five point favorites.
Speaker 3: USC is going to the Alamo Bowl. Well, they faced TCU on December thirtieth in San Antoo. At least they're playing in a bowl, which is more than we can say for the Irish. Notre Dame ad Pete Bavaqua said that the ACE right, we're not going to help you guys make money after you screwed us and dangled us around kidting us in the Pop Tarts Bowl, We're out. And he's also mad at the ACC. They engaged in sustained targeted social media campaigns against the school and the football teams late in the season and that has forever changed the relationship between Notre Dame and the ACC. Bavaqua said. The ACC, in the process of promoting football member of Miami for the College Football Playoff inclusion also damaged Notre Dame, which lost the season opener to the Canes.
Speaker 4: Or Thevaqua who could hit water if he fell out of a boat, Can I guarante to you this. When I pitched and I was going to pitch against some team that had guys on it, like the Baqua. I set a limousine to get to make sure he was in the lineup because I kicked that any day in a week. He's a big mouth. I'll tell you that.
Speaker 2: It's red box.
Speaker 3: Very contentious between Bavaqua and the ACC. I think they're gonna send They called him a sea sucker. Pavaqua outlined a multi week social media campaign during which he communicated with the ACC. He sent an initial post from the ACC's official X account that appeared on November tenth, which included a side by side comparison to Miami in Notre Dame, caught his attention, but he attributed it to an individual staffer maybe overstepping.
Speaker 2: Oh, those social media managers, they're young and crazy.
Speaker 3: Quite frankly, I was kind of expecting a phone call saying, hey, Bavoqua, sorry about that. It won't happen again, Bavaqua said. But then it did happen again, and we started to communicate with the ACC. Text that I sent, emails that I sent, and it continued to happen. You won apologize to him.
Speaker 4: No, Pavaqua, who could hit water if he fell out of a boat.
Speaker 3: It's always a great opportunity when you get a guy named Bavaqua on your Dodger station, no doubt, to remember the greatness of Tom Millasorta and a C. Sucker lack Lefe or a guy like Fing Bavaqua, and we'll be back with more great sports talk as our show continues Great Sports Tuesday. If it was two at mona, she might have said yes, But two at Mono Tuesday. We've made it even easier to take LA Sports with you this summer.
Speaker 1: Make AM five to seventy or your favorite AM five seventy LA Sports podcast a preset on the iHeartRadio app using Apple car Play or Android Auto road.
Speaker 2: Trip all summer with LA Sports. Not show some Money a M five seventy LA Sports Live Everywhere on the iHeartRadio app going until seven pm tonight and then Dodger Talk.
Speaker 3: Well joining us right now. One of the all time great fullbacks football players in the history of the world, Lorenzo O'Neil period, perhaps the greatest fullback and fell history true block for a thousand yard running back and eleven straight seasons straight out of the know.
Speaker 8: That's right going.
Speaker 3: He knows the ninety nine top to bottom. He does the podcast with Matt for the Chargers. He works for the forty nine Ers up in the Bay Area. He is the one and only Lorenzo O'Neill on the Petrosen Money Show on your Southern California Toyota Dealers Celebrity hotline. Not only is the quarterback for the team that he covers, the Chargers, a baller and a hero, but his old quarterback coming back, Philip rivers at forty four, Lorenzo, what's happening? How are you?
Speaker 8: That's true? I love it. I love that tagline money. I'mnna have to use that more often. That's true. That's the true great legendary, I'm legendary. I had a rough night last night, guys. I was just sweating like the same same probably the same place you guys were on the edge of your seat. Boy did we were we impressed? And was that not an unbelievable game? Yeah? I know it was sloppy, a lot of turnovers, lots of sacks, but that game was unbelievable.
Speaker 3: It was a lot of fun. What can you say about Justin Herbert and his performance with that big flappy hand and just no tackles getting sacked like you mentioned every play, that's pretty gutsy performance.
Speaker 8: Unbelievable. I think the guys just a man, just a man. He is not scared, He's built the right way, He's tough, he's fearless. The Chargers are lucky to you know, they go from Drew Brees to freaking you know, Philip Rivers, who's coming out of retirement, you know, forty four years old, coming to play for the coach. It says something about just the organization and just being lucky from Dan Fouts. I mean, just think about who Justin Herbert is in the quarterback legacy that the Chargers. I mean, Drew Brees Hall of Famer, Philip Rivers would be a Hall of Famer Justin Herbert and Herbert it definitely going to be a Hall of famer. The way that he plays the game with the physical, with the physical opponent, and the way he just runs over guys. I mean, playing with the broken hand in the overtime, he said, okay, let me just take over. I don't care if my hand's broken. I'm rubbing it on the sideline. I don't care what happens. I'm gonna use my stiff for them. I'm going to use the hand that's broken the shield of the fender off me. What can you say about this guy besides just just tough as tough as they come, man, tough as they come.
Speaker 2: You hear the players say it. Tony Jefferson said it after the game, low that you know, you see what Justin's going through. I saw Tarheb say it as well, and you're like, well, how can I not play whatever to this level? But I would assume you guys are doing that anyway. Is there something to that? Like if you're out there playing with you know, Philip and he's got a torn acl and the AFC Championship game, does that make you play harder?
Speaker 1: You know what.
Speaker 8: I don't know if it makes you play harder, but it lets you know, Hey, look, I gotta suck it up. Who to go around moping head down when you see guys like this playing a tough position to go out there and play as guts as he did and the willless team to win the victory?
Speaker 6: You do?
Speaker 8: You do say, you know what, I gotta get back on the field. You have to say, I gotta find a way to get back on the field, especially guys when at your quarterback and everyone talks about sometimes the quarterback can be a little soft, be a freeman, Donna, not justin Herbert. This guy's stuff as they come.
Speaker 3: You know, Lorenzo, I got to ask you because the rules have changed in football since you were the greatest fullback that ever lived. And I'm not talking about Tom Rathman. I'm talking about you. I'm not talking about Moose either. But when you're walking around just in the world, and you see people walking by, you know, and they're not protecting their legs, do you ever think about just cutting that person down and just cutting them right there? Does that ever cross your mind? Or does it not anymore? Hey?
Speaker 8: You know what, I'll tell you what it does. Every time I get around the Chargers. Every time I come round their tail Money Matt Money Smith's trying to get a get me and Nick Hardwick. Every time I swamp by Nick Carwick, I'm thinking about taking him down. You know, he's a wrestler. I'm a wrestler. I wrestled in college. He did it. He had a couple of tea in college for wrestling. He doesn't know. He's not ready for me, brother, Because when I come out there, brother, it's gonna go down. Me and Nick Hardwick under the lights, Matt money Smith, he's gonna rep it and he's gonna announce it. It's gonna be legendary.
Speaker 3: Well, i'd like to see that. Actually we should. We could organize. That'd be a great thing for the offseason. As far as the actual season with the Chargers go, we know their limitations without both their tackles. We see the quarterback beaten to hell and running for his life. What are realistic expectations for this team moving forward? Even though they've won nine games, they're in a pretty good position here.
Speaker 8: I think they're in a really good position. I think the way that they fight, anything's possible. You know, the biggest thing for me if this team can say, if the defense plays as well as it's playing as late, look, don't turn the ball over. Get rid of the ball quick go. You know last night they ran the ball fairly well. When they needed to run, they had to run. If you don't turn the ball over the way that this defense is playing, you can be in any game. The biggest thing that the Chargers have to do is don't give teams short fields. That's what puts your defense sometimes behind the eight ball when you're given opposition a short field to work with. That's when this Charger team can get in trouble and that's when the wheels can fall off because of the fact that they got a short field to work with. So if this team plays the way that it's capable of playing, even though they have some limitations up front, I'm not going to sit here and say, oh, this team can win a Super Bowl. I'm saying you can win a playoff game. You can make some things happen. And if you jump on some teams. You look at the AFC, let's be let's be let's be fair. In part, they've Denver, They've beaten. Denver's quarterback has been inconsistent. I know bow knicks and everyone talks about what he's been able to do. Yes, they got a good defense, they can run the ball. Does Indianapolis scare you with Philip Rivers coming out of retirement? Okay, who scares you is New England Patriots is doing Patris War beaters. I don't think the AFC, Oh my god, this is a for sure loss. I think they can play with anyone in AFC. It's just a matter of can they protect the quarterback? And right now, they've shown that they can't protect him on a consistent basis. But if you don't turn over this ball and you play field position, they're still a tough out.
Speaker 1: Lo.
Speaker 2: What's just to take us into the other locker room? Like, what's going on if you're the Eagles and you've got Saquon Barkley running for seven yards clip and on that final drive, he's barely touching the ball. Jalen Hurts has thrown it all over the place and he throws his fourth interception of the game. I mean, their identity en route to a super Bowl last year was running the ball, and in that game it seemed like whenever they ran the ball they were pretty damn effective. And yet Jalen Hurts is out there throwing it all over the place. What goes on after a game, especially when you got a four and a half hour, our five hour flight home to try to figure out how the heck you lost that one.
Speaker 8: Yeah, guys are very disappointed. I tell you you got to be a Philadelphia Eagle fans, you know they're disappointed. The players are disappointing, But opportunity has never lost given to someone else. Both teams didn't look like they want to win that game. Either team could have won that game.
Speaker 3: We know that.
Speaker 8: So let's you know, the Chargers happened just to come up on the better end of that stick. That game could have win either way. But if you're you're Jalen Hurts, if you're Jalen Hurts, you're looking at yourself and say, dogg it, Hey he threw one ball. You know you got a receiver, a big time receiver. He's got to make that Levin's got to make that catch. It gets popped up in there in Purns, it's an interception. The Chargers didn't capitalize on a lot of those turnovers. So yeah, but if you're if you're if you're a Philadelphia player and you're on that team, you're like, why did we not give the ball more to twenty six? You got to ride with him. You don't expect him to just do it all on one play. And he showed you that he still has it. But they got to block better. There's some things that they have to do. And I don't think it's just all Jalen Hurts. Without a doubt, he's ruggled last night. But I think that offensive line has n't created a new line discrimmage as well for the run game.
Speaker 3: His number is retired at Valley Children's Stadium, Beautiful Fresno, California. The place is Alma, man. That could use a little bit of an upgrade. I was just there doing a game. I'm sure that Lonil is given enough to the program in blood, sweat and tears. But somebody needs to come through and fix up that stadium. But will you be traveling to the to Tucson for the Snoop dogg Arizona Bowl to cheer on matt Ence and your Fresno State Bulldogs this year, lo'neil.
Speaker 8: You know, matt Ens is a great guy. I've come to his team and talked to the team several times. He's always won of me around hig like matt Ins. He's tough, he's a physical guy. He's old Nebraska kid. He's old Cornhusker. He's tough, physical from a small town. But you know what, I'm gonna pass them. I'm not gonna go down there to Zona. I'm gonna let Snoop Doggy Dog have it.
Speaker 3: I'm a bass Okay.
Speaker 4: You know what.
Speaker 3: That's an honest answer from an honest man. That's right, A man who made his bones in the A Gap in the B Gap.
Speaker 2: Now a Freshno State made the NCAA Championships in wrastling.
Speaker 3: It'd be a little different, you know.
Speaker 2: Damn well, I'm there, I'm there, I'm.
Speaker 3: There in the singlet, ready to rock and roll, no doubt. We love you, Loan Neil and we'll check the podcast with Matt money Smith. Thank you, thanks for doing it, and thanks for doing it on short notice. We sure appreciate it.
Speaker 8: No worries, guys, cheers, thank.
Speaker 2: Thank you to Lorenzo Neil. When we return. One more segment You're dead and a live guy birthday that in remember David Abass. Top of the Hour with Winter Meetings Dodger Talk.
Speaker 3: We've made it even easier to take LA Sports with you this summer.
Speaker 1: Make AM five seventy or your favorite AM five seventy LA Sports podcast, a preset on the iHeartRadio ap using Apple CarPlay or Android Auto road trip all summer with LA Sports.
Speaker 3: Thanks for everything, everybody, and we'll be back on tomorrow at three o'clock. Another three to seven show, Eat Sports Talk all week long, a little respite on Thursday when the Clippers are in the City of Syrup, Houston, Texas. Gloria knows as well that that's a two to four show, and that's a flex alert me. We'll be back though on Friday with another full show, full shows all week. Your dead guy Birthday of the Day, Matt Billy Ed Wheeler would have been ninety five today, much like me m and the hat Fields. He was from Boom County, West Virginia. Went to Warren Wilson College Let's go Als and Berea College, Let's Go Mountaineers. Served in the Navy, went to the Yale School of Drama. That's a good one, right, and majored in playwriting. Bill Wheeler wrote this famous song Jackson, which was first recorded by the Kingston Trio and then Flat and Scrugs. But it was Johnny Cash and June Carter in nineteen sixty seven that made a big number one hit out of it. This is them doing it at San Quentin. They cut a verse out of it at San Quentin for some reason. Let the hell out of here. Let's get June off the stage.
Speaker 2: These incarcerated gentlemen are getting a little diitchy with June up there. Now.
Speaker 3: I did not know that Jackson was also a successful pop song for Nancy Sinatra and Lee Hazelwood that they did their own version.
Speaker 2: I didn't know that either.
Speaker 3: You never hear it. That reached number fourteen on the Hot one hundred.
Speaker 2: Okay, that's a hit.
Speaker 3: Wheeler went off and asked the question which Jackson said that he had no Jackson in mind. He just liked the sharp consonant sound of the word Jackson as opposed to Nashville Johnny Cash always figured it was Jackson, Tennessee. Wheeler did other tunes, a lot of tunes that charted, and did a lot of good things for a lot of stars. High Flying Bird, the Reverend, mister Black. His songs were recorded by everybody from Elvis to Judy Collins. Never heard of which one, Judy Collins or Elvis? The first one Elvi's what's his name, Belvez Elviz. She said, no, don't make it know. It's a holiday season. I know, you know, we got to wear the highlight. There's negatives and there's positive there's it's.
Speaker 2: Just there's a theme. That's the theme of the remote. She said, no, Ed Wheeler, No means no.
Speaker 3: Ed Wheeler also wrote and composed eight plays and musicals, including the Hatfields and McCoy's, which is performed annually in West Virginia in the Grand View cliff Side Amphitheater.
Speaker 2: Is it like the Purge where violence is permitted for that one night when you go Shakespeare?
Speaker 3: They had the Hey, they the families come together every year they do it. They do a marathon, they do a lot of potlucks. Right, They've signed multiple treaties over one hundred years. We've had peace on the Tug River. Okay, Matt, so you know it would not. Is it terrible? It's a terrible, bloody feud that lasted thirty years. Matt, just horrible and devil ance Hatfield and Randall McCoy's. Shame on both of them for not burying the hatchet before a lot of blood was spilt, innocent blood.
Speaker 2: Is that what the productions about potlucks and coming together? It's the few exactly right? Exactly right.
Speaker 3: Doesn't mean you want people's blood spilled with the theater.
Speaker 5: Uh.
Speaker 3: He published a book about his memoirs entitled Hotter than a Pepper Sprout Hill Billy Poet's journey from Appalachia to Yale to write and hits for Elvis Johnny Cash and more. Okay, Billy ed Wheeler.
Speaker 2: To be an interesting read.
Speaker 3: Yeah, Hail Billy Pollet, You're alive.
Speaker 2: Guy is British News.
Speaker 4: It's time for PMS, British News, lighted Kingdom English News.
Speaker 3: It's time for British News. Cheerio straight get out.
Speaker 2: An all time great and favorite. My first gold record was Portershead Dummy. Beth Gibbons is the face of the band, but Jeff Barrow is the foundation and the brains of it.
Speaker 3: But let's be fair, you're the face of the gold record.
Speaker 2: That's right.
Speaker 3: I mean without you, I mean what they wouldn't have had any success. Most people say that, I mean, that's what people say. It's the same with Elvaz and the current right.
Speaker 2: What Matt did at college radio with Portishead Dummy is still talking to.
Speaker 5: In the.
Speaker 2: CMJ world today. He was born in Walton and when he was a wee lad you guessed that he moved to said started out playing drums in some local rock bands. Was also d Jane and some hip hop groups. He landed a gig at the famous Coach House studios as a tape operator tip guy, tapeop low level entry job, but you're working with some seriously big time.
Speaker 3: Somebody over at ABC for about seven years.
Speaker 2: Tape Hop nineteen ninety one, while he was working on Massive Attacks, Blue Lines hit it off with the band. They allowed him to use their spare studio time to get his own ideas on tape and it would be a chance meeting scraping for money and attending a government program called Enterprise Allowance that would pay unemployed folks forty pounds per week to set up their own small business. He was on a coffee break.
Speaker 3: And started to back back. Then they called a smoke o Matt.
Speaker 2: That's right, he was on a smoko and he and Beth Gibbons start a conversation. They formed Portishead. They add musician Adrian Utley. They record the song it Could Be Sweet, did everything at the coach House Studios in Bristol. Result was Dummy, released in nineteen ninety four. Outlead co produced the album performed on nine of the songs. Co Rode eight became an official band member shortly after took off.
Speaker 3: Immediately you were out there in Bristol right with them like slighting their cigarettes. Well what I was doing being like, Hey, I want this to sound more scratchy. I was laying the ground you know, you need some records scratching.
Speaker 2: I was laying the groundwork at KXLU and KSCA.
Speaker 3: You know.
Speaker 2: They did not like doing you know it does. They did not like doing radio, They did not like making videos. They did not like doing anything.
Speaker 3: I like smoking.
Speaker 2: They did like smoking. People didn't care. Dummy was described by Melody Maker as quote musique noir for a movie not yet made Top five hundred Greatest Albums of all t here's a good lot.
Speaker 3: You guys could use musique noir for a movie that's yet to be made. That was brilliant credit uh, copy Boy.
Speaker 2: It is considered one of the greatest trip hop albums of all time, seminal release in the genre.
Speaker 3: Those were those days back. Yes, it was every time Porter Said or Matsive Attack or Tricky came out with an album, It's gold.
Speaker 6: Uh.
Speaker 2: I figured everything was gonna be like Porter Seid. It was the first record I worked, and then they gave me Hagfish and the Meiss and Steel Pole, Bathtub and Lincoln and Drugstore and the list goes on and on, and I just kept thinking back to man, that was cool when we had Porta said, uh again, they didn't like doing anything. They won the brit Award. This is from their historic Roseland live show that came after their sophomore effort. Porter said. Porter said this would be Glory Box. It's fantastic. The whole Roseland thing is awesome. Barrow and Bat We're like, we don't really like working, so he just started doing studio stuff. Paul Weller, Depeche Mode, Tricky and Nana Cherry had a couple of side projects back Quakers, and then he started scoring film. He did Ex Machina. It was probably his most famous. He is fifty four years old today. Highly recommend if you are not familiar with the band. Listening to Porto said, they are fantastic.
Speaker 3: Jeff Berrel and think of Matt's smirking face while you bob your head right like I did this.
Speaker 2: You're not playing, Porto said, Okay, I'll tell you.
Speaker 3: What we're not gonna have is anybody doing Porto said karaoke night.
Speaker 2: We could have a nice cover of numb. What their only means that it's be a big head in West Cobina. She said, Now said.
Speaker 3: Kate's ass, like, Hey, what's the spectrum of songs available everything and but if nothing, you know what I mean.
Speaker 2: You can have it, but you can't have it. You could have it all my fire after at Karen's house will have everything. Yes, West Covina, nothing, keep working on It was really the attitude.
Speaker 3: All right. We'll be back all tomorrow for another four hours. Have a great night everybody and Dodger Tom coming up next with David Mass with the latest on Timmy Trumpet and Eddie Dass.