Speaker 1: This is Bengals pep Rally presented by Just Beared Chicken on the Bengals Radio Network Paycre. Paycor is proud to be the official hr software provider of the Cincinnati Bengals. Kettering Health Best Care for the Best Fans. Kettering Health, Official healthcare provider of the Cincinnati Bengals. This is ESPN fifteen to thirty, the official home of the Cincinnati Bengals.
Speaker 2: It is a Friday afternoon in Cincinnati. It's going to be a big football weekend for Bear Cat and Bengals fans. And this is the Bengals pep Rally show presented by Just Bear Chicken live on ESPN fifteen thirty. We are at our Friday afternoon home, the on the Rhine Eatery here in downtown Cincinnati. It is the food hall above the downtown Kroger at Court and Walnut. Plenty of street parking nearby. You can also park in the three ced DC Garage, which is essentially attached to this building. Great spot for our show every Friday afternoon. There's great food available, all sorts of inexpensive tasty options.
Speaker 3: Here at the on the Rhine Eatery.
Speaker 2: There's the eighteen eighty three Bar if you want to come out and have a beer or two on a Friday afternoon, the happy hour is basically about to begin. The work week is just about over for most of you, and again a great football weekend to look forward to.
Speaker 3: Focus of this show, of.
Speaker 2: Course, the Cincinnati Bengals looking to bounce back from back to back losses against a very good team this Sunday at pay Court Stadium, the Detroit Lions lap back in July. This game was more or less a sellout. They were still selling standing room tickets at that point, but this was the hottest ticket in the offseason, partly because Detroit is close and Lions fans want to come down to Cincinnati and see their team on the road if they can. But this was a game that was circled going into the season, and unfortunately with the Joe Burrow injury, the Lions come in as a significant favorite.
Speaker 4: Yeah, and because of the differential at the quarterback position, I think is a is a big reason why Jared Goff is is playing well, really well. I mean he's putting up some some stupid numbers. I think the shootout between Jared goff and Joe Burrow is something that the NFL is really looking forward to from a marketing standpoint. You know, they they every few weeks, there's always a matchup of quarterbacks that grabs the league's attention, the entire league, every every every part of the league. I mean, whether it be fans, whether it be teams, uh, the organization within the team, the offices.
Speaker 3: In New York.
Speaker 4: Everybody's like perked up and taking notice of what's going to be going on on that particular weekend, that particular game between those two quarterbacks. And and honestly, I mean I was too, I really was. I was looking forward to Jared Goff and Joe Burrow squaring off. I think those two were looking forward to it as well, because when you're one of the best in the National Football League, like both of those guys are, you look forward to playing against each other each other. I remember talking to Kenny Anderson, a former roommate with the Bengals. I mean, he always looked forward to big matchups with whoever the quarterback was that was the hot quarterback that season, or somebody that had been around the league for ten years and made like five Pro Bowls, always looking for that kind of a matchup. You know, you want to see how you stack up. You want to see if you can put your best effort forward and beat that guy, knock him off. Boomer siasin unbelievably competitive Boom. Boomer wanted to play the best every week. You know, it's just the way he looked at it, And you know, I think it's unfortunate's it's too bad for the league that Joe Burrow is not involved in this matchup. Too bad for everybody. Too bad for Joe Burrow, Jared Goff for their teammates, for the teams, for the fans, too bad for everybody.
Speaker 2: No doubt, it's the four to twenty five afternoon game on Fox. I'm sure Tom Brady would have been here as part of the number one broadcast crew, but in light of the Joe Burrow injury and the results the last couple of weeks for the Bengals, that is no longer the case. But hey, it's still the Bengals and Lions, and the chance if Cincinnati pulls off the upset for the Bengals to be back over five hundred at three and two.
Speaker 3: Last couple of weeks.
Speaker 2: I don't have to tell you they've been rough The Bengals have been outscored seventy six to thirteen, so they're dealing with that this week. Let's hear from offensive coordinator Dan Pitcher.
Speaker 5: When you go through something like you've gone through to the last two weeks, it's a gut punch, I mean viscerally you feel it. But you have to turn the page and become problem solvers very quickly. And so that's just what we do.
Speaker 3: That's our job.
Speaker 5: That's how do you respond when you're in a position where you know you're not happy with how you're playing, you're embarrassed by how you're playing, and so how do you respond? And that's the challenge to our guys.
Speaker 3: I believe in the.
Speaker 5: Character of our players, I believe in the character of our coaches, and I believe we have all the ability in the building to get the certain round and.
Speaker 2: A big challenge for the offense this week. They kicked the field goal on their opening drive last week, they punted every possession after that. The previous week five turnovers in the lost of Minnesota. This is an offense with a ton of talented players.
Speaker 3: It's time to.
Speaker 2: Start performing a way that everybody in the building knows.
Speaker 3: They can absolutely.
Speaker 4: You know, they do have a really good roster of players, skilled players. Offensive defensive line, you know, I mean, I think that's where people probably have the biggest questions, or in the trenches in the offense five defensive line, particularly in the interior the guard position offensively, defensive tackle. Defensively, there's some questions there in terms of consistency of play. You know, they'll make plays and improve that. These guys belong in the National Football League. Man's a hell of a play. It just was made right there, and then it disappears. You know, it's gone for a while, and it's like, Okay, need to make that type of play. Make that And it's not effort related. I think this team does give effort. I think they've got a motion, energy, effort. I think they've got the big the three e's. But consistency is the biggest thing they don't have, and that's something that you that you want to have. You want to have a consistent performance and level of play, There's no doubt about it, and I think they're going to have to have that to beat the Detroit Lions. Detroit, one thing that Dan Campbell demands is consistency. You know, He demands it out of himself, demands it out of his coaches, out of his players, and he gets it. You know. They they play at a very high level. The Bengals better bring their emotion, enthusiasm and energy because the Lions will. They'll be they'll be ready to go, they'll be ready to roll. Dan Campbell doesn't throw a team Outlet let them. Let the team take the field unless they're up in the it. And we've got to be ready to play.
Speaker 3: Let's get to the kettering.
Speaker 2: Health injury report on a Friday afternoon looks pretty good for Cincinnati. Shamar Stewart is still out with the ankle injury. The Bengals are hopeful he'll be back next week when they play a road game at Green Bay.
Speaker 3: Noah Fan is back, so.
Speaker 2: After missing a game with a concussion, he'll be good to go on Sunday. Charlie Jones listed as questionable. He hurt his achilles, didn't tear it, but hurt it last week.
Speaker 3: They say questionable.
Speaker 2: He hasn't practiced at all, so that makes it feel doubtful to me. If Charlie can't go, that obviously impacts you at the return spots. Sure, Mitch Kinsley was the punt returner after he got hurt on Monday night in Denver. So unless Jermaine Burton is activated, I would imagine that Mitch Tinsley would return punts again. You can have Taj Brooks back there to return kicks. He was doing that on Monday night after Charlie went out. Of course, SMA Jp Ryn could be the other guy back there since prior to his thumb injury from a couple of weeks ago, he had been returning gigs.
Speaker 4: Yeah, and and Darren Simmons, the cover's not bear. I mean, don't get me wrong. I think Charlie Jones is the hell of a returner. I think he's the best they've got. Obviously. I think Darren Simmons really respects Charlie Jones' ability to return. I think he feels like he gives it big time effort. He's one of those guys that finishes every single one of them. Charlie Jones is got I mean ridiculous speed, four three five type speed. You know, It's like, man, that dude can he can He can really roll once he once he gets stood up man, and he's one he seems to me He's one of those type of players. I've had teammates and observed other players over the years with the organization that when they're running a forty in shorts and T shirt, it's one thing forty in equipment with a helmet, not quite the same. Charlie. He maintains that level of speed he keeps that keeps that speedometer up there, man, And that's that's a trait that I think is you have to have as a return guy. And he's a breakaway guy. When he finds a lamee down, he can hit it, and he can hit it, and he can he can take it to the house. I'd love to see one of these other return guys hit a big one or two, because I think that's gonna be You know, something that the Bengals have to have in their favor is return yardage at the end of the game. If the Detroit Lions have returned punch and kickoffs for over one hundred yards more than the Bengals during the course of that game, I think it's gonna be a tough tough to think that the Bengals won that football games.
Speaker 2: And the Lions had a punt return touchdown last week, in their win over Cleveland. The Bengals a ten and a half point underdog on Sunday. It would be the biggest upset of the week if they win, but not by much. Last night, San Francisco is an eight and a half point underdog against the Rams. Forty nine ers had their backup quarterback in there, Mac Jones. They managed to pull out the game in O ten, so perhaps the Bengals can do something similar on Sunday. Let's hear from head coach Zach Taylor on being a significant underdog this week.
Speaker 6: I love personally playing these types of games. These are my favorite games to play. This is why we do it again. Our backs against the wall. A little bit going in this game off of two losses. That's perfect, you know.
Speaker 3: I'd like to.
Speaker 6: See Howard responds. Who lives in fear, who thrives in the university. It's a great opportunity for a coach to really assess what guys are made of, myself included, and so again it's a tremendous opportunity that we are not running from. We are running directly into.
Speaker 2: The Bengals won their only home games so far this year. They beat Jacksonville thirty one twenty seven. They are seven and one in their last eight at home. Obviously they had Joe Burrow for most of those games, right, but let's see if they can keep the jungle mojo going.
Speaker 4: And now the jungle mojo is a factor, Dan, you make a great point. I mean, Detroit knows what it's like to have that Rabbit fan base in their favor when they play their home games up there in Detroit, and the Bengals know what it's like to go to Detroit and face that, and to go to other NFL teams on the road Division games on the road in Baltimore, Pittsburgh, and Cleveland. I mean, you can't hear yourself think it's it's it's boisterous, to say the least in those locations. So the fact that Detroit has to travel down here, I think there's a little bit of a factor, not not because it's a trip that will tear them apart, but because you know they're gonna have to deal with the noise. I will say, though, like you referenced earlier, those Detroit fans, the Rabbit man, they're gonna travel. They're going to travel in droves. There's gonna be a lot of blue in silver coming down the interstate, working their way toward Peycorps.
Speaker 2: Well, let's hope they spend their money when they're here, help the local economy. It's the Bengals and Live Sunday at four to twenty five. This week's game is presented by Kettering Health. We're going to take a time out. Coming up next, we'll take a closer look at the Lions with one of the greatest players in Detroit's franchise history. This is the Bengals pep Rally Show presented by Just Bare Chicken. We are live at the on the Rhine Eatery here in downtown Cincinnati. Come out and join us. We're here until six o'clock tonight. Josh Newton will be our special guest at five o'clock here on ESPN fifteen thirty. You are listening to the Bengals pep Rally Show presented by Just Bare Chicken, Live on ESPN fifteen thirty. We are at our Friday afternoon home, the on the Rhine Eatery here in downtown Cincinnati. It's the food Hall at Court and Walnut on the second floor.
Speaker 3: Come out and join us.
Speaker 2: Bengals cornerback Josh fag Newton will be our live guest in the final hour of the show. Dave Lapham and I are here until six o'clock tonight. All right, it's the Bengals and the three and one Detroit Lions coming up this Sunday at four to twenty five at pay Corps Stadium. Let's discuss this week's opponent with a Lions legend, a seven time pro bowler, a member of the Lions Hall of Fame. He is the radio analyst. Now, the great Lomas Brown love us. Welcome to the show. How are things in the Motor City?
Speaker 3: Oh?
Speaker 7: Things are great. Man, y'all made the Big Fellow asylum important. I appreciate that.
Speaker 4: Well, I'll tell you what great is an understatement, now you know I do great? Is uh? You You were definitely great, But in my mind you were incredible.
Speaker 3: I mean you you.
Speaker 4: Played at such a high level at that left tackle position. We were blessed here in Cincinnati to have a high caliber left tackle as well. I played with the guy for a bunch of years right next to him, guy by the name Anthony Munoz, that I know you know all about, and he was very, very praiseworthy of your level of play. I mean, he talked about Lomas Brown, and you know, I was thinking, Man, I'll tell you what for Anthony Munos, who the greatest player that I ever saw play the game of football? And if he's talking about Lomas Brown like he's you know, high, high, high caliber guy, this guy must be a pretty damn good football player. What what what do you think when you hear that the great Anthony Munos holds you in that high regard?
Speaker 7: Man, Like you said, he is the greatest, I think, the greatest lineman that played this game. I mean, everybody tried to im the late of Anthony Munos, and you know what, just a greater person off the field. Got a lot of opportunities to talk with Anthony and kind of pick his brain. And you know, and and the good thing is I played for Mouse Davis two years with the Giants, and Mouse used to just talk about Anthony, so know all about him, And man, if I could, if I could get to where he is, man, that's a that's a lifetime accomplishment, because I do think he's the greatest offensive lineman to play in this game.
Speaker 4: Huh.
Speaker 2: You will get no argument here I can promise you. Old Let's talk about this year's Detroit Lions, coming off of fifteen and two season three and one so far this year, rolling into town with a three game winning streak and averaging more than forty points in those three games. For a team to have a chance to slow down this great Detroit offense, what must it do.
Speaker 7: It must stop the run. That that's our offense. Our offense is built on being physical at the line of scrimmage with our very good offensive line, and it's about getting sonic and knuckles. I'm talking about David Montgomery and Jamiir Gibbs, getting them to kind of control the pace of the game because everything comes off the run for us, our play action passing, everything we do is predicated on us developing or establishing our run game early in the game. So if a team wants to kind of hang with the Lions, will kind of slow the Lions down offensively, it'll have to be at the line of the scrimmage stop in the run game.
Speaker 4: So we've talked about how great an offensive lineman you were. How good is this year's offensive line for the Detroit Lions. I know that that's always a priority for Dan Campbell. Dan Campbell, when he's putting together a football team, he wants that offensive line to reflect what he wants to do in terms of being a football team. Physical, get after you, aggressive in your face, knock your round, knock you on the ground. Is this offensive line does it have that type of attitude? Does it have the Dan Campbell mentality of football?
Speaker 7: Yes, it is, and it is really starting to take fold and you can kind of see the chemistry coming along with those guys. Don't forget we had three basically three new guys in the middle when I talk about Graham Glasgow boothing from the right guard to the center position. Then you bring in a rookie like Tate Ratlitch, and then you have a guy like Krista Mahogany who just really started this year. So it took a minute for that chemistry between those guys to come together. You pay them with Taylor Decker and you pay them up with the great Panay Sewell and now you could just see their identity starting to come. And one thing I have to give him his roses, and that's Hank Treilly. I think he is one of the best offensive line coaches in this league. If not the best. I mean, Frank Hank has done a great job of putting this group together, of kind of forming this group, giving this group the belief that it can go out there and get it done. And they've been performing at a high level of these last three, especially these last three games, not allowing the sack in the last three games. So we're looking for more and more of that from the offensive line, and I think they're just gonna keep getting better and better and better at the season goals.
Speaker 2: Along Lyon's Hall of Famer and radio analyst Lomas Brown is our guest, let me ask you about the other side of the ball. The Lions defense is really good too, but has some injuries At cornerback. DJ Reid went on injured reserve this week. Terry and Arnold is apparently dealing with a bit of a sore shoulder. Are the Lions vulnerable at that position against the team that has great wide receivers in Cincinnati.
Speaker 7: Yeah, I think we are. That's why we're gonna need our front four. You're talking about Aiden Hutchison, Talik Williams, DJ Reader and al Kwadem Muhammad. We're gonna need those guys to step up in a big, big way. They're gonna have to try to get pressure on Jake Browne kind of make him uncomfortable if they can get him out his spot if they can, and they're gonna have to do that early in the game because, like you said, the weapons that you guys have at the wide receiver position there game changers. When you talk about Jamar Chase and you talk about t Higgins, those guys can wreck a game on their own. So it's gonna be violently important for us, like I say, to get pressure on Jake, whether it's hits, whether it's sacked, or whether it's prescious. But we're gonna have to try to rattle that young man, and I think we're gonna have to do it early in the game and not let him get in the rhythm too.
Speaker 4: Yeah, that's the that's a great point, tees to the football game. You know, start thinking about that. We've talked a little bit about the offense, the defensive line, and what what the Detroit Lions have been doing on both sides of the football. In my mind, when I look at this and I look at the stats, it's like, Okay, the two te's, the two very important tees Capital t's turnovers and third down when the when the Lions had problems during the course of this season, offensively, it's been turnover driven. You know, they've when they've had some difficulty keeping possession of football. It's that way for any team. I mean, I don't care how good the team is if you're turning it over. I mean, it's just it's a it's a monkey wrench, you know, it's just you can't can't be free, free flowing, free wheeling out there, you know. Offensively, same thing on third down. You know, you start generating a drive, you start to feel good, start to get in the rhythm, you get some nice timing, and boom, you can't convert on a third down and eight or a third down and ten, or whatever the case may be. How have the Lions been in terms of turnovers and third down during the course of the season.
Speaker 7: Yeah, so far, we've been pretty good. And you hit it right over the head, you're right, and I could throw a p in now. When you talk about penalties, that's the way of stopping the drive. That's the way of kind of stalling the momentum of a team and the kind of plan from behind the sticks. So you're absolutely right. We've been pretty clean so far in that point. We had the one game where we had double figure penalties in that game and it really made things hard for our offense. We were lucky to get over that hump. But as you say, man, if you're behind the behind the sticks, or you got penalties that stopped your momentum, then it's very very hard to come back for any team, and we're no different than any other team from that standpoint. I just think Jared Golf has just been playing at such a high level this year, and I you know, I like to call him the smooth Operator because the guy seems to never get raveled whether we're up or down, whether things are going good or bad for him. And as you know, you know, if you're the other with a guy like that, it seems to kind of kind of be a calming force for the rest of the guys up best. But you're absolutely right, we have to not have those penalties and we have to stay ahead of the sticks.
Speaker 4: So final question, and appreciate your carving the time that you did in joining us. We got a legend, literally a Detroit lion legend visiting with us in the Detroit Lion Hall of Fame. Uh, you're head coach. He likes a specific type of player. You have to be physical, you have to be emotional, you have to be energetic, you have to be enthusiastic. You have to love football, because Dan Campbell loves him some football. Does he have a lot of those guys? Is that is this Detroit Lion football team? Are they built and made with a lot of those type of players?
Speaker 7: Yes? You know what I like to tell people, our guys on this team, they're coach and tell him to run into that wall. They're running to the wall. Then after they hit that wall, they'll come back to coach and tell him, ask him why did we run into that wall? And you know, if you got that type of mentality in the locker room and all those guys, it comes down from Brad Holmes, our GM and like you say, Dan Campbell, you have to be a certain type of player to play for the Detroit Lions. I think he has a lot. I know we have a lot of those guys on the team. And Dan is just what he's done, not only for the team and the organization, but what he's done for this community and the state of Michigan. It's just been remarkable because everybody talks about grit and everybody talks about being resived. So he is that guy.
Speaker 3: Love.
Speaker 2: It's really cool to have you on the show this afternoon. Thank you so much for your time. Enjoyed the short trip down to Cincinnati this weekend.
Speaker 7: Absolutely anytime, Fellows, Thanks.
Speaker 3: So Steeve travels my man, Thank you all right.
Speaker 2: That is Detroit Lions legend Lomas Brown, remember their Hall of Fame, and again a seven time pro bowler. He's part of the radio broadcast team coming in this weekend. We're gonna take a time out when we come back. When Ted Karras snaps the ball on Sunday, he will have a rookie on either side of him. I'll hear from Captain Karris.
Speaker 3: Next.
Speaker 2: You are listening to the Bengals pep Rally Show presented by Just Hair Chickens, live from the on the Rhine Eatery here in downtown Cincinnati on ESPN fifteen thirty. This is the Bengals Feb Browley Show presented by Just Bear Chicken Here on ESPN fifteen thirty on Dan Hoard with Dave Lapham, Drew Wester Heidi as our on site engineer. Tarren Bland is back in the studio and we appreciate you tuning in on this Friday. We are live at the on the Rhine Eatery, the food hall above the downtown Kroger at Court and Walnut. Lap and I are here until six pm tonight, and Bengals cornerback Josh fig Newton will be our special guest, happy to sign autographs and pose for pictures. Fig will be here for the final hour of the show between five and six. It's a Friday, and that means it's a Friday Night Stripes Friday presented by Ohio Cat.
Speaker 3: The Gang will be.
Speaker 2: Ats Feaver Creek High School tonight, celebrating high school football with games, giveaways, and who Day Spirit. Catch the Bengals in your community with Friday Night Stripes presented by Ohiokat this Sunday, when the Bengals take on the three and one Lions, the starting guards will both be rookies, Dylan Fairchild on the left side Jalen Rivers on the right. At the second week in a row, the Bengals have had two rookies starting at guard.
Speaker 3: On their offensive line.
Speaker 2: Here's the guy that will start between them. Ted Carris, you.
Speaker 8: Know, I think they've been doing a great job, and you know, want to point out some positives. I think we have two ascending guards that hopefully are the guard duo here, you know, with the program's health for the better part of a decade.
Speaker 3: So really proud of those guys.
Speaker 8: You know, we had a really tough draw up in Denver, and I thought we'd shut them down pretty solidly, but obviously not enough to score any points or really do anything.
Speaker 4: To affect the box score.
Speaker 8: So a lot still to work on. But you know, we're we're out here, we're ready to go and getting getting ready, and we got the Detroit Lions.
Speaker 2: Now, yes, they do this Sunday at four twenty five. Let us take a closer look at the optimistic start of that quote from Ted Carris. Hopefully we've got a couple of ascending guys who can be the guards here for the next day. You know, that would be the dream scenario. And neither guy was a first or second round pick until it was a third round pick. Do they have the type of raw ability to be starting guards for five to ten years?
Speaker 4: I think they do. D Yeah, I really do you know. Ted Carriss has been around the league for a while ten year player. He's seen what it takes to succeed at a very good level in the National Fall League, both physically and mentally. And I think both of these guys have the makeup in both areas to be a successful National Football League professional player. I think they both have incredible football IQ. They understand the game. They understand what defenses are trying to do to give them difficulty, to shut them down, make things tough on them in terms of recognition and executing techniques and blocking assignments. I think that they adapt quickly when they need to and listen to Ted Carris, and they're very fortunate, by the way, to have Ted Carris as good call the guy right between the two of them, I think they have a very sound offensive line coach in terms of teaching technique and fundamentals in Scott Peters. I think they're fortunate in that area as well, because when all is said and done, you can always rely on and go back to your fundamentals and your techniques. You know, I found over the years, if you start to get in a little bit of a rut, okay, make it, keep it simple, stupid go back and just start from square one in the introductory techniques, fundamentals and to what allowed you to be a successful player in the National Football League. I think these guys are going to be good for a while.
Speaker 2: Lucas Patrick started the opener right guard, heard his calf about fifteen into the game.
Speaker 3: Right.
Speaker 2: They had signed Dalton Reisner a week before he took over, finished that game, started the next one, then he got her right. Jalen Rivers now is in there at right guard. When they signed Dalton Reisner, his pro football focused grades over the last several years had been great pass protector, not necessarily a great run blocker. Does Jalen Rivers help them in that area? Because they did average four yards of carry on Monday night. It wasn't a huge sample size, it was twelve running plays, but that was about twice what it had.
Speaker 4: Been, right, And it tells you that you know you're starting from a very very low starting point with the two point whatever yards per carry. But yeah, I do think. I do think Jalen Rivers can be a very very good run blocker in the National Football League. He's got really long arms, I mean, like thirty five inch arms. And he can leverage you you know, and he's somebody you know. He does really good job. He's a big body guy, six' five, plus but he bends at his knees really well and sinks his hips and he can come off the, football sink those, hips roll into, people strike, them get the hands inside the framework of the, body and. Finish he. Does he does everything from AN abc standpoint that you need to have done properly to have a successful career in The National Football.
Speaker 3: League, duane all, right we're gonna take a time.
Speaker 2: Out coming up, next how do The bengals fix their issues on? Offense T higgins ways in, Next this is The bengals Pep Rally. Show we're live at the on The Rhyine. Eatery we're here until six o'clock on This friday afternoon ON espn fifteen. Thirty the work week is just about. Done the happy hour is underway here at the on The Rhyine eatery in Downtown. Cincinnati it's The bengals Pep Rally, show presented By Just Bear. Chicken The bengals with their second home game of the year come up This sunday Against. Detroit cincinnati One tozer at Pay Corps. Stadium so far this year seven to one in their last eight home. Games this week's game is presented By Cattering health and again we are live here until six o'clock at the on The rhyne eatery several inexpensive food. Options the food is. Great there's the eighteen eighty three bar if you want to come out and have a. Beverage and, again if you want to meet A, Bengal Josh newton will be here.
Speaker 3: From five to.
Speaker 2: Six he's happy to sign, autographs take, pictures et. Cetera Fake newton's a great. Kid if you can't make it, out please listen because he is a very entertaining. Guy i'm sure it's going to be a great segment of the show later this.
Speaker 3: Afternoon if you're.
Speaker 2: Going to the game On, sunday stop By pregame at The, banks happening before every regular season home game with live, music outdoor, games and plenty to do for all.
Speaker 3: Ages it's the perfect pregame.
Speaker 2: Stop Visit bengals dot com slash Jungle zone for more. Information all, right as you, know The bengals offense Features Jamar chase T, Higgins Chase, Brown mike is sicky fan and, others and they did not score a touchdown On Monday Night football this. Week i'm sure you're, thinking how is that even possible even Without Joe.
Speaker 3: Burrow, well let's hear FROM T.
Speaker 9: Higgins, yeah we got the players to do, it but we all gotta be you, know play as, one you know WHAT i. Mean so we can have individual players that that that that do a lot of great, things but if we're not playing as, one then it's not gonna, work you, KNOW i, Mean so you gotta players one to execute the game.
Speaker 3: Plan it's all, eleven no.
Speaker 2: QUESTION i do think the defenses they've faced out the road the last couple of weeks have been a big. FACTOR i think they were especially set up to Give cincinnati trouble Without Joe. Burrow not That detroit isn't great on. DEFENSE i think The lions have an excellent pass, rush in, Particular Ayden hutchinson is one of the best pass rushers in THE. Nfl we know all ABOUT Dj, reider, right but they are susceptible in the. Secondary they're top, well They're toper is, out their number two corner is dealing with a bad. Shoulder it hasn't played very. Well we've heard some rumors he might even be. BENCHED i don't know if that's the case or, not BUT i do think that where The bengals are, strong The lions are.
Speaker 4: Vulnerable, yeah and they got to capitalize on. That, dan you make very valid points. There you, know The Cincinnati bengals have as good a duo at the wide receiver position from a talent standpoint That i've. SEEN i, mean it's as good As i've ever seen this, year any, year pick a. Year these guys can. Play and what they're gonna have to do is take their, strength match it up Against detroit's, weakness which is their secondary right, now because like you pointed out so, well they're beating, up not playing well on the verge of being benched because the lack of, production making too many, mistakes not making enough. PLAYS i, mean they're right for having some big plays generated against, him AND i Think Jake browning is. DUE i, Mean Jake browning has had a couple of games now where that big play has not been easy for. HIM i mean it's been a, struggle to be, honest to try to generate some big plays and makes you scratch your, head BECAUSE i, Mean Jamar chase is a big play waiting to. Happen the guy runs unbelievable. Routes he's as fast as anybody in The National Football. League he's got functional football. Speed when he's running his, routes he's still running at an incredibly high, speed and he sinks his hips and changes the direction in and out of. CUTS i, mean he's, gifted catches the ball as well as any wide receiver yards after. Catch he's at the top of the. CLASS i, mean he's the. Man he's a supreme wide. Out so and then you have T higgins on the other side of the football field balancing that those same talents That Jamar chase possesses on the other side of the football, field the six and four inch and twenty five pound. BODY i, mean come on, NOW i BET i bet teams around THE nfl and, executives general, managers, coaches, coordinators head, coaches they're scratching their. Head how the hell are The bengals not lighting people up in the passing? Game with the weapons they, have they can throw out in formations and maybe change up some, formations formation them to, death make them unsure what they're looking at from a recognition standpoint in the back, end you, know maybe you can Shake Jamar chase and T higgins free because brain cramp As Simon era run.
Speaker 2: Free another area where maybe it works in The bengals favor is that The lions are a rarity in this day and, age and that their primary defense is an old school for. Three, yeah three linebackers on the field and four members of the. Secondary most teams, nowadays most of the, time have five members of the secondary on the field and nickel defense with two. Linebackers not The. Lions it's two, corners two, safeties three. Linebackers so when The bengals spread them, out as they typically like to, do maybe that's gonna Favor. Cincinnati you would think, So.
Speaker 4: Dan you know when when they when they are spread, Out kasiki will lead detached from the end of the line of scrimmage and kind of be a slot receiver in some, instances and you gotta figure he's gonna have a linebacker out there trying to cover, him so or a safety at best case scenario for the, opponent but that he should be able to eat. TOO i, mean there should be some, opportunity some real estate to consume in there in the middle of the football field For Mike, Yasiki I'm i'm anxious to see how The Cincinnati bengals passing attack does exactly, that attacks The detroit line and gets yards in. Chunks i'm Thinking dan gonna be quite a few big plays chunk. PLAYS i like the way you.
Speaker 2: Think coming up next is Cam taylor britt at a crossroads moment in HIS nfl. Career we'll discuss that. Next you're listening to The Bengals Pepper Rawley show presented.
Speaker 3: By Just Bear.
Speaker 2: Chicken we're live at The on The Rhine, eatery the foodhull above the Downtown kroger here ON espn fifteen. Thirty we've got The bengals And lions coming up On sunday at four to twenty five at Pay Court. Stadium this week's game presented By Kettering Health Best care for The Best. Fans Kettering, health the official health care provider of The Cincinnati. Bengals we're live on A friday, afternoon as, always at The on The Rhine eatery here At court And walnut and Downtown. Cincinnati you can park on the street or in the three CED dc garage which is attached to this.
Speaker 3: Facility we'll Have Josh.
Speaker 2: Newton joining us in the final hour of our, show that is from five to. Six josh played quite a bit On monday night In, denver at least in part Because Cam Taylor britt did. Not cam got benched after only five. Snaps he had a couple of really disastrous plays where he whiffed trying to make tackles Against Courtland. Sutton, now in fairness To, cam he had missed the previous game of a hamstring. Injury he was limited in practice leading up to the. Game he was ill one day last, week so there were some complicating. Factors, still it was a rough. Night let's hear from defensive Coordinator Al. Golden he knows he needs to.
Speaker 10: Be, better and, again DON'T i wouldn't share anything with you THAT i haven't shared with. Him SO i think the biggest thing IS i got to be. Better he has to be. BETTER i got to put him in a better. Position but obviously we need to improve and he's a big part of. That cam's a very talented, player and you know we need this to be a turning point for. Him you, know we need him to have a great.
Speaker 2: Week from everybody around the team and the. Building this, week it sounds Like cam has had a great week of. Practice it always begins. There so let's see if he bounces back against The detroit team that Features Aman, Ross Saint.
Speaker 3: Brown and some great receiving.
Speaker 4: Targets, yeah and the expectation would be that That Cam taylor brit would bounce, back would not stay, down would not keep his dabber, down you, know would not wallow in the. MERE i think he's one of those guys that we talked, about, energy, enthusiasm. Effort he has all of. That he played at a high level Collegiately, nebraska was the leader of that. Defense and he's he's a. Player the guy's a football players all. Football football means a lot to. Him he wants to be. Good he's desperately wants to be. Good and he Wants Al golden to trust. Him he Wants Al golden to respect. Him he wants to be able to you, know When Al golden, says, look this is what our. Expectations we're putting you on the best receiver they have because we think you are our best cover, Guy that's what he wants to. Hear that's what he wants, to you, know be part. Of that's that's what he's he's thirsting. For so, he Like al Al golden, said he's got a lot of work to. Do And Al golden himself, said you, know, HEY i got to get. Better we all have to get. Better players have to get, better coaches have to get. BETTER i have to get better as a. Coordinator and you, know when the numbers are put up by the opponent like they have been the last couple of, weeks everybody does have to get.
Speaker 2: BETTER i would say that maybe the biggest positive on defense through four games has been the play Of Dax. HILL i Think dax has been really. Good bengals thought that he was going to be good coming off his. Injury they picked up his fifth year. Option he's going to make nearly thirteen million bucks next, year and he looks like a guy that's worth that and maybe gets an even bigger contract going.
Speaker 4: Forward, hey he really. DOES i mean it was a kind of a crossroads thing for him with the contract coming, up coming off. INJURY i mean it was kind of, like uh, man this is a this is an amazing career cocktail being being shaken right. Here how's it gonna how's it gonna turn? Out but he's a. Player when he's one hundred percent. Healthy, uh he can do a lot of.
Speaker 3: Things.
Speaker 4: Man his versatility is his calling. Card it's a it's a big big, bonus a big big. Plus he can play. Anywhere he can play, outside, corner in the, slot song, safety free. Safety you can line up anywhere and do. Anything and, uh you, know he likes the. Challenge if they, say you, know, Hey, dex we want you to line up on the best receiver this. Week, okay you, know on game whatever you want me to, do whatever you want me to do to help the football team. Win that's What I'm that's What i'm all. About I'm i'm here to win football.
Speaker 2: GAMES i Mentioned Dominra Saint. Brown he is The lion's best receiver and one of the best in THE, NFL a three Time Pro. Bowler they've Got Jamison, williams who might be the best deep threat right among wide receivers in THE. Nfl they've got a great tight end And Sam, laporta so it's a three headed monster in the passing. Game Plus Tremier gibbs coming out of the backfield For Jared.
Speaker 4: Goff, YEAH i, mean that's a lot of speed for a quarterback to you, know to drool. OVER i, MEAN i remember back in the, Day Kenny anderson talking about How Isaac curtis just changed things in The National Football league when you had a world class sprinter that was out there running routes on a football field at that world class speed and being able to stop on a, diamond change direction and run sophisticated routes very smoothly and easily catch.
Speaker 2: The football so.
Speaker 4: Well and then a football player as. Well he was a college football, player and a good. One so when you have, SPEED i Remember Paul brown saying many, times speed is the most fearsome threat that you can. Have if you have, speed others, don't you're the top dog and everybody else is chasing.
Speaker 2: You we are one hour into our three Hour friday extravaganza here At beyond The Rhine eatery in Downtown. Cincinnati we're going to take a time. Out when we come, back we'll discuss the status of Quarterback Jake, browning who is so good a couple of years ago but has struggled in his two starts this. Year we'll hear From Jake browning and From Jamar. Chase, next this is The bengals Pep Rally show presented By Just Bare. Chicken here AT espn fifteen.
Speaker 1: Thirty this Is bengals Pep rally presented By Just Bared chicken on The Bengals Radio.
Speaker 3: Network.
Speaker 1: Paycor paycor is proud to be the OFFICIAL hr software provider of The Cincinnati. Bengals Kettering Health Best care for The Best. Fans Kettering, Health official healthcare provider of The Cincinnati. Bengals this IS espn fifteen, thirty the official home of The Cincinnati banks.
Speaker 2: And the on The Ryane eatery is the home of The bengals Pep Rally show Every friday afternoon from three to, six getting you fired up for the upcoming, game in this case a home game against The Lions sunday at four to twenty. Five we appreciate The bengals fans who are with us so. Far i'm sure there will be many. More josh Fig newton is going to be our player. Guest he will join us in the final hour of the. Show Fig newton will be here from five to. Six and The bengals have. Arrived, yes we Have taylor And gabby with us this, Afternoon so come on out get some great, food several inexpensive options here in the on The Ryde. Eatery we've also got a, bar the eighteen eighty Three, Bar so it's a great place for the show and we look forward to seeing more of you as we get closer to five o'clock When josh Fig newton. Arrives The bengals looking to snap a two game losing streak this week and looking For Jake browning to play the way he did a couple years ago when he filled in For Joe burrow After joe hurd his wrist in twenty twenty. Three Jake browning was really good in that seven game. Stretch so we probably know The bengals had a winning. Record they went four and, Three but the thing to keep in mind is it wasn't in spite Of Jake. Browning it was because Of Jake. Browning his pass arranging was ninety. Eight he was number two in THE nfl in passing yards during that seven game, stretch behind The Cowboys Dak, prescott so he personally played extremely. Well so what's been the problem over the last couple of. Weeks let's hear From Jake.
Speaker 11: Browning thing that stands, out LIKE i just felt like we did a better job WHEN i was in twenty three and we need to improve in this year is just stay ahead of the sticks more like the amount of snaps THAT i had in twenty three where it was just second and, five you, know second and, two not second and, eleven second and twelve and the invasionly playing third down. TWICE i think that's kind of something that stands. Out and also just HOW i, approach you, know some of my decision making and, prioritizing you, know knowing when the situations are to take the, shots and knowing when the situations are to just take the complete underneath get us into a third and Manageable.
Speaker 2: Jake was talking about second and, long third and. Long that was definitely a problem On monday night In, detroit and not only because some of their plays on early downs didn't work very, well but they were killing themselves with. Penalties, yeah penalties turned so many of those drives into second and, twelve third and. Seventeen they've got to be much cleaner in terms of. Penalties On sunday Against, DETROIT.
Speaker 4: I thought the comment he made playing third down twice was. Brilliant, yeah that's what they were. DOING i, mean they were so far behind the sticks on a, high high percentage of their possessions that to win a football game doing that against a team that is so prolific, offensively that will put pressure on you because you know they're gonna score on your defense a lot of. Times you, know complimentary football has to. Prevail your defense is going up against juggernaut. Offensively, defense you have to help your defense by scoring some points on the opposition's defensive football. Team and when you're making, mistakes when you're self destructing to the level that they were with penalties and you, know turnovers and misthrows and second and, long third and, long putting yourself in miserable down in distant, situations that's a recipe for. Disaster and The bengals had a disastrous.
Speaker 2: Night the defense gave up more than five hundred yards in the. Game so it sounds silly to say the defense was, okay that would be overstating. It but they were facing what really was an impossible. Task the offense couldn't keep the ball and they're playing at high. Altitude sooner or, later the damn is going to break if the offense can't keep the defense off the.
Speaker 4: Field, absolutely you, know and then there's the the physical, fatigue The correig. FACTOR i, mean you're you're you're in that high, Altitude, dan you're a. RUNNER i, mean you, know you go out there and you run In denver the same distances that you did In. Cincinnati it's a different, run it, IS i, mean it's totally it's a it's it's a, big big. Challenger, so you, KNOW i thought that honestly going into the football. GAME i thought the defense really had to have a big, day you, know to to win the game In, denver and they. Didn't they're gonna have to have a big day to win the game against The lions In, cincinnati and hopefully they.
Speaker 3: Will have, one might take a few.
Speaker 2: Takeaways, absolutely The lions will get some, Yards there's no doubt about. That one of the things that happened in The monday night game that became a big talking point for the various talk shows out there was the sideline conversation Between Jamar chase And Zach. Taylor of, course anytime something like that, happens people pounces their deception is their deception or dissension is not What i'm looking. For Is Jamar chase about to boil over with? Frustration, well it wasn't like. That they weren't yelling at each. Other jamar was not getting in his face saying get me the. Ball but Obviously Jamar chase wants the. Ball The bengals want to get him the. Ball he was asked yesterday if that sideline conversation between him and his head coach was.
Speaker 12: Overblown Everything i'll do is pretty much what was BL i feel, like you, know but it, happens you, KNOW i, mean that's. NORMAL i feel like for me is, that you, know that's not my first time doing. That zach lets me walk up to him and talk to him like he.
Speaker 3: Wants me to do.
Speaker 12: That sometime my, emotions you, know pick up and you, KNOW i might look Like i'm, him But i'm definitely just talking to him. Sometimes but that's normal for.
Speaker 10: YOU i, MEAN i THINK i think people see that and they assume most receivers in THE nfl are going to, say deep the.
Speaker 3: Ball i'm.
Speaker 13: Frustrated, yeah you, know what's that?
Speaker 3: Conversation like though it's half of.
Speaker 12: That at the end of the, day you Gotta, remember we receivers are we can't get the ball to, ourselves you know What i'm. Saying so that's the hardest part about our job at the end of the. Day so if a receiver wants to, ball then that's. Good if he doesn't want the, ball then that's not so.
Speaker 13: Good, yeah he.
Speaker 12: Definitely, Yeah, no it is good to, hea especially when you're just going through a tough game like. That and you, Know, Zach zach lests me talk to, him, listen do you want? Him then he never went into me yet if he, BEN i, HOPE i hope it's.
Speaker 7: Good.
Speaker 2: Yeah is there such a thing as good? VINTAGE i don't, know BUT i guess we get the, point. RIGHT i Thought jamar was great in explaining that he's great in, general and he has really stepped up his. Leadership he addressed the team after the game On monday. Night everybody in the building is saying this, year and really it started last. Year he's become a verbal leader as opposed to a lead by example.
Speaker 4: Guy, yeah and you know he's he's he's definitely the best player on the football. Team so guys understand, that and they respect, that and they respect his talents and they respect him as a, person as an, individual as a human, Being and so When Jamar chase, talks people. Listen that football team listens to What Jamar chase has to. Say and he's been around long enough now to know, that you, know you can't let a game like the last two in a Row linger any. Longer the worm has to, turn and it has to turn. Quickly he understands. That i'm sure that's a big part of the message that that that he was getting. Across but he, knows he knows this hemates respect. Him the great players know that the teammates respect their talents and. Capabilities that's no. SECRET i, mean you, know you can try to be you can try to eat as much humble pie as you. Want they know they're. Great great ones know they're, great and they want people to know that they know they're.
Speaker 2: Great five catches For jamar last, week five catches the week. Before that's not nothing that would average out to an eighty five catch season over seventeen. Games but they've been dinks and. Dunks, YEAH i got to try to find the way to get him the ball down the, field even if that means a fifty to fifty ball where you put it up there and give him a shot to try to make a, play.
Speaker 4: Because he can make those. Plays he's very good with the contested. CATCH i, mean once he goes, airborne he can. Jump he's got a, vertical a significant vertical once he goes. Airborne now it's upper body strength against upper body, strength And i'll Put Jamar chases strength against anybody in THE nfl in the back. End Jamar chase is a is a. Freak he's a specialmen and he works at.
Speaker 2: It so AS i mentioned five catches For jamar each of the last two, games as for T, higgins three In, denver one In. Minnesota so we've been, saying the two of, us going back to our postgame interview after the game On, sunday you gotta find ways to Get jamar the. Ball it's probably even more true OF T, higgins.
Speaker 4: No, question no. QUESTION i, think, uh you, know they both feed off each other when you have two great. RECEIVERS i, remember you, know back in the Day Isaac Curtis Charlie. JOYNER i, mean those two guys fed off for each. Other it was, amazing it was. Unbelievable it was Like ying And, yang you, know they just, knew they knew exactly what the to do to support the effort of the of the, teammate and, man it was it was a thing of. Beauty it. Was it was incredible to watch those, guys, uh just go out and display their.
Speaker 2: Craft The bengals And lions coming up On. Sunday it's a four to twenty five kick at Pay Court. Stadium The bengals looking to climb back into possibly a first place tie in THE Afc. North right, now they are gained behind The Pittsburgh. Steelers pittsburgh actually has a bye this, week so the best they could do is pull within a half, game but would be nice snap the losing streak and get back to a winning record at three and two with a victory On. Sunday we're gonna take a time. Out coming up, next it's this Week's Fun fact segment featuring a great visit with rookie offensive Lineman Jalen. Rivers you're listening to The bengals Pep Rowley show presented By Just Bare, chicken live from the on the Rhine eatey here ON espn fifteen. Thirty welcome back to The Bengals Pet Browley. Show presented By Just Beared. Chicken here ON espn fifteen, thirty broadcasting live from the on The Rhine. Eatery it's the food hall above the Downtown kroger At court And. Walnut Dave lapham AND i here here until six o'clock, tonight And bengals Cornerback josh Fig, newton in his second year TO tcu number twenty, eight will join us in the final hour of the. Show if you'd like to meet, him get an, autographed get a. Picture josh will be here from five to. Six once, again this, year The bengals are recognizing great high school coaches in the. Area nominate your coach for The Bengals coach of The week, award presented by Pay. Corps Visit bengals dot com Slash coach of The. Week all, right it is time for our Weekly Fun fact segment where you get to know the person underneath the. Pads it's presented each week By Skyline. Chili time for some fun facts with rookie offensive Linemen Jalen rivers From, Jacksonville. Florida, jalen we learned On Draft day that your, mother, father and stepfather all served in The navy for more than thirty. Years how did their military background shape your?
Speaker 14: Upbringing, Yeah i'm an upbringing as anybody would, guess you, know come from A millersia.
Speaker 3: Background strict.
Speaker 14: Household everything you learn and discipline very young, age SINCE i came out the.
Speaker 3: Womb but also other.
Speaker 14: Than, discipline just hard work and you, know just dedicated in your all into something you. Want so your, goal you have to reach. It nothing to be given to, you, obviously but literally them picking me up late at night from THE ymcad, school coming from, work and then them making SURE i go to, practice do all the. SPORTS i was a year long, athlete, basketball, football track and, field whatever it. Was take me to, sports making SURE i do my, homework shower, in just repeating that cycle every single day while one parent was in, deployment deployment for like nine. Months you grow up quick because you got to be, like you got to make sure everything's you, know, straight because, YEAH i had siblings in the, household but you got to do things yourself growing, up and you got to learn like this is what it takes to get what you. Want so all that, combined you, know strict house will make you.
Speaker 3: Bad do. This it's very, militant BUT i wouldn't trade it for the.
Speaker 2: World he told me, once you were not allowed to go out on school.
Speaker 14: Nights you, KNOW i was never you could ask. Them and IF i did, SHOOT i don't even know WHEN I i. Did but if it was to go to the, movies be back at a certain, time IF i did all my homework and they trusted, me everything was, done maybe that was.
Speaker 2: Rare though we're visiting The Jalen. Rivers you're six sex with a seven foot. Wingspan did you always tower over the other kids when you were growing?
Speaker 14: Up, oh, definitely up UNTIL i want to, say the first TIME i saw somebody taller than me or, like you, know same height as, me maybe sixth grade, maybe and that was my, friends my god, Brother like that's When i'm.
Speaker 3: Like, OKAY i was a year younger than, them, actually but we were the same.
Speaker 14: Height so we played ball. Together that's why football au and all that. Stuff so that's the first TIME i saw a lot of people my height are maybe taller than. Me but at the same, time WHEN i went to school and we were at, school we were the main. Ones it was a handful of, us but we were tall and everybody everybody was looking up Those oh you're so.
Speaker 3: Tall, yeah SO i got.
Speaker 2: That WHEN i was young and youth, football did parents of kids on the other team express concern or wonder if you were actually too?
Speaker 3: Old, no and this is a true. Story you can ask my.
Speaker 14: Parents my mom had to really bring my birth certificate EVERYWHERE i went au and WHEN i Played Little league in, FOOTBALL i had to bring my birtha everywhere because everybody.
Speaker 3: Made a big deal LIKE i was too.
Speaker 14: Old REALLY i was younger than their kids, too BECAUSE i was playing EIGHT U tenu WHEN i was a year young and everybody maybe two years young and.
Speaker 3: Everybody So i'm, like, here this is the birth. Certificate.
Speaker 14: True you, KNOW i was born In. Virginia this is the certificate Of virginia in The. Commonwealth this is my birth certificate In i'm this. Old so they still didn't believe.
Speaker 3: It we're chatting With Jalen.
Speaker 2: Rivers you Attended Oak Leaf High school In jacksonville and became one of the top offensive line recruits in the. Country it offers From, Alabama, Michigan Penn, state you name. It did you enjoy the attention or did you get tired of?
Speaker 3: It people that know. Me they KNOW i don't like.
Speaker 14: ATTENTION i don't like the, spotlight But I've i'm used to it now because even THOUGH i didn't like, IT I i formed a you know, TOO i guess embrace it at one point in time Because I'm i'm getting interviewed. Again oh you, know everybody's, like you, know calling me up to the. Office my teachers, like, hey so and, so coach is, here this school is here to see.
Speaker 3: You.
Speaker 14: SO i, mean it was very fun to travel and visit and do camps and all, that but at one, Point i'm, Like i'm tired of this BECAUSE i hate the. Attension everybody's just like at, school, like oh my, god you got offered to day and it's like, yeah but me, mean but you, KNOW i LOVE i wouldn't trade, it LIKE i, said for, anything BUT i like the.
Speaker 2: Attention you ultimately chose The university Of. Miami why the?
Speaker 14: You it's funny because at one point it Wasn't miami wasn't even consideration because they weren't recruiting me as. Hard but then they picked it back up towards SOME i want to, say my end of my Sophomore at, first my early junior year but they just continue recruiting me, hard and just like.
Speaker 3: Because at FIRST i was about to Pick.
Speaker 14: GEORGIA i was ABOUT i was just close to going To georgia and then But miami just kept recruiting.
Speaker 3: Me hey can you come to this? Game hey can you come to this? Visit AND i kept going and you just feel that family.
Speaker 14: Atmosphere and of course the coaches that recruited, me some of them were still there WHEN i got, there but some of them. Weren't BUT i just still felt THAT i wasn't going because of. Coach BUT i just ever se went to your Verse miami a. VISIT i was, LIKE i just feel like, family you, know Oriented it just it felt like a family atmosphere AND i wanted to play a THE u and then it you, know it was close to home, too so that played a. Factor you, know it Was, Miami, Florida, georgia but But miami just stole.
Speaker 2: It The bangals selected you in the fifth round of this year's.
Speaker 14: Draft described your draft. WEEKEND I i was anxious CAUSE i you, know during that, draft you don't know when you're gonna get. Picked you might have an, idea your agent's, like oh maybe this round and this round just a waiting. GAME i just tried to get my mind off. Everything and you, know we had some. FOOD i actually cooked mac and cheese CAUSE i wanted to get my mind off of. Everything BUT i didn't wanna, wait SO i made mac and.
Speaker 3: Cheese, uh just you, know just with.
Speaker 14: Family and then when the fourth round, STARTED i h you, know fifth, ROUND i was just just, waiting, waiting, waiting talking to my friend's. Family did my name gets called OR i get that Call, Cincinnati? Ohio and THEN i answered is Coach Taylor and he's just talking and he was, like, hey we're gonna pick, you you know.
Speaker 3: Next i'm, like oh my. GOD i REALLY i was, speechless but you, KNOW i was just like feel with gratitude at the.
Speaker 14: Time and then then when they call my name on the screen or put my name on the, screen put my head on just dap everybody, up hug, everybody and then we just.
Speaker 3: Partied you, know we we. ATE i didn't eat really that whole.
Speaker 14: MORNING i slept horrible that night before BECAUSE i was just my mind was Just i'm, LIKE i need to know Where i'm going her When i'm getting. Picked but it was, anxious but it was.
Speaker 2: Fun your Current bengals Teammate Matt lee played with you for one year At. Miami he said the following of Everyone i've played, With jalen is one of the highest character dudes. Ever what just being a high character dude mean to?
Speaker 14: You it MEANS i come in every day with a positive. ATTITUDE i never IF i have a bad, Day i'm not really gonna chill it Because i'm here for you, KNOW i want to make everybody around me.
Speaker 3: Better so IF i come, in.
Speaker 14: You, know drowsy or you, know with low, energy then it's not making everybody around me. Better it's not making me. Better so having a high character just doing things the right way HOW i was, raised not letting anything around, me any person around, me change. Me and JUST i mean just being. ME i MEAN i don't really want to be fake or anything. LIKE i just be me and if somebody likes, ME i JUST i just had a good opportunity WHEN i was At miami or my whole. LIFE i just been. ME i just like making people around me. Better and it's just having a positive. Attitude so having a high. Character EVERYTHING i do on the, Field i'm gonna do it off the. Field, too you, know just being the person my mother raised, me my parents raised me to.
Speaker 2: Be you shared with me previously that you are into, cooking and you mentioned in this interview that you made mac and cheese during the.
Speaker 3: Draft how into?
Speaker 2: It do you watch cooking? Shows do you check out cookbucks or? Recipes how deeply are you into?
Speaker 14: Cooking, well my biological, dad he's a. Chef he caters his own catering. Business SO i never really cooked growing up BECAUSE i really didn't have the. TIME i was to involved with sports class you, know year a long, athlete doing. SCHOOL i did not want to cook, anything actually do anything else from my. Plate SO i want to, SAY i just wanted to find out how to be outside of. Football and THEN i just started, going you, know to visit my dad a lot, more and then you, know he started to teaching me recipes helped him during catering. EVENTS i want to learn to make this BECAUSE i want to make. FOOD i don't want to keep waste my money buying. Food so, YEAH i LEARNED i can make really, chicken, palm any type of post obviously braised red mac and, cheese.
Speaker 3: You, know, shoot name it, stuff.
Speaker 2: Salmon i'm salivating who is your all time favorite athlete in any.
Speaker 14: SPORT i want to Say Kobe bryant just obviously he's a legend on the, court but at the same time what he's done for the community. Too and then just being From, MIAMI i want to say also or not From, miami but going To miami it was. Too you, know growing, up my stepdad loved Ray, lewis SO i watched him every single time we watched THE Nfl Baltimore, ravens watched clips of him At. Miami you, KNOW i love what he. Does he brings that, energy and JUST i love being around people that just bring that. Energy just loved the game of. Football so growing up we watched a lot of, him and then he came back and taught To miami WHEN i was At miami a couple of years.
Speaker 3: Ago and great.
Speaker 2: Person all, right final fun fact For Jalen. Rivers this one's kind of. Deep if you could meet anyone in, history living or, deceased who would that person.
Speaker 14: Be i'm just say family because it's like not really, anybody any, celebrity but like Just i'm a big family. Guy so like my grandpa that passed, Away LIKE i feel like SINCE i would move To florida with my mom and my.
Speaker 3: Stepdad my dad was still In.
Speaker 14: Virginia that's my dad's, dad AND i really didn't have an opportunity to form that bond really but WHEN i lived In virginia or WHEN i went back To, virginia we saw each other every TIME i, went but, LIKE i didn't really form that grandson grandfather. Bond and every, time you, KNOW i went, back it was only for like a couple. Hours so and then he passed away WHEN i was a freshman in high, school so it was, like you know when that when he, PASSED i was, like, dang BUT i wish he was still, alive SO i, can you, know form that bond and you know he would love to see you know WHERE i. Was even with my mom's dad. Too he passed away WHEN i was WHEN i was about six. Seven so, YEAH i wish my grandpa's still alive SO i can have. This they can be on his ride with.
Speaker 2: Me they would both be very. PROUD i can promise you, That, jalen this has been great AND i appreciate your time by stuff lock the rest of the.
Speaker 3: YEAR i appreciate. You have a great.
Speaker 4: Day thank.
Speaker 2: You that is Rookie Jalen river is number seventy. Four he'll make his SECOND nfl start at right guard This sunday afternoon against The Detroit. Lions we're gonna take a break before we. Do one bit OF nfl news to pass. Along Lamar jackson has been ruled out with his hamstring This sunday Against. Houston The ravens are one in three in danger of falling to one and. Four one and four breaks your, heart break your, HEART i. Know and that's not the only injury that The ravens are dealing. With it's like a you, Know New York city phone book back in the. Day if you look at their injury. Report Kyle, Hamilton Rokwan, SMITH a bunch of.
Speaker 3: These guys might be.
Speaker 2: Out and it's a very realistic, possibly but russ possibility that the two time RAIGNING Afc north champs going to start this season one and.
Speaker 4: Four, wow how about? That my heart breaks everybody. Involved over they're In.
Speaker 2: BALTIMORE i can tell all, right we're gonna take a time. Out coming up. Next over the last three, weeks The lions have averaged forty one. Points Al golden discusses the challenge of trying to slow Down. Detroit, next this is The bengals Pep Rally show presented By Just. Bear check in live from The on The Ride eatery here AT espn fifteen. Thirty, Dan dave And drew with you this afternoon for The on The Ryine eatery in Downtown. Cincinnati it's The Bengals Pep Briley show presented By Just Beared, Chicken Taron bland back in the. Studio thanks so much for tuning, in and if you are not doing anything on this Fine friday afternoon in The Queen.
Speaker 3: City come out and join.
Speaker 2: Us we're here until six, o'clock another ninety minutes or, so And bengals defensive Back Josh newton will be our special. Guest josh will be here in the final hour of the show from five to. Six if you're looking for the latest and Greatest bengals, gear go To Bengals Pro. Shop they've got the best selection. Anywhere you can visit The Pro shops seven days a week on the north side of Pay Corp, stadium or shop online anytime At bengals dot. Com so The Detroit lions come to town this. Week they were fifteen and, two a year ago number one playoff seed in THE. Nfc they lost their playoff opener because their defense was decimated by, injuries and then they lost their offensive coordinator and their defensive, coordinator who both BECAME nfl head coaches this. Year and when they lost THEIR, Ohc Ben, johnson a lot of people, said, well there goes the. Magic he was one of the most creative offensive mines in THE. Nfl the offense is bound to take a step, backward and sure, enough in the season opener At Green, Bay detroit only scored thirteen. Points since, then fifty, two thirty, eight and thirty four come on now average of forty one over those three, games their overall average up to thirty four points a. Game they are the leading scoring team in THE, nfl trying to do.
Speaker 3: That in back to back.
Speaker 2: Season so it's a tall task for The bengals defense this. Week let's hear from defensive Coordinator Al.
Speaker 3: Golden they're a, big, strong power run.
Speaker 10: Game they have a very good offensive, line two dynamic, backs tight ends that can block at the, point and unselfish wide receivers that will. Block so from there everything runs revolves around. That from, there they have the play action, game which they are very good, at and then they have the guys that could take the top off the the you, know the defense And jamison and and guys that can can make you pay With Saint brown and some of the other Guys Will pourt and those guys. Underneath SO i think they're they're they're a challenge at all three. Levels and you, know the quarterbacks playing well for.
Speaker 2: Them we had Former lions offensive linemen and current radio Analyst Lomas brown on earlier in the.
Speaker 3: Show it says it all begins With sonic And.
Speaker 2: Knuckles, yes and nicknames of they're great one two punch of running. Backs sonic is the Speedy Jamiir. Gibbs knuckles Is cincinnati Native David. Montgomery they're both. Great they've got an awesome offensive line in, front a huge challenge to try to slow Down detroit in, general in the running game in.
Speaker 4: Particular, yeah that there are when, teams and it used to be the case back in the day little bit. More you, know the passing attacks weren't quite as prolific and sophisticated as they are. Today, uh in the running game was what it was all. About if you were a great college running back that put up big. Numbers you, were you were desired man pea, teams teams would do anything to have you as part of their. Organization. Uh same way if you were a, big, thick strong stout offensive lineman could and could run block. Well The Detroit lions are a throwback. Team Detroit lions are.
Speaker 3: Right in that.
Speaker 4: Mindset and they've got two running backs that that provide thunder and. LIGHTNING i guess as, such you know the The the lightning would Be, gibbs the thunder would Be, montgomery although both of them Probably hey, wait now you KNOW i got some. Power, YEAH i got some feed over here. Too bottom line is they have a significant one to two punch at the running back, position maybe the best in The National Football. League i'm not sure there is any other team that can can claim a better. One so the task is the task at hand is an obvious. One Al golden knows. It whatever you have to do to stop that, run do. It but the problem that it presents is play, action, fake throw the ball over your head on one play. Drive you don't want any of. Those so, yeah they The Detroit lions are a. Problem their offense and their offensive, philosophy their, offense the way they the way they're, built the way they can take over a football, game all big.
Speaker 2: Problems David montgomery is in his SEVENTH nfl, season spent the first four with The, bears last three now With. Detroit he's never played a GAME nfl game back In, cincinnati so it's going to be a big deal for. Him they'll have a lot of friends and family and attendance at Pay corps On. Sunday at four twenty, five he went To Iowa state to play college, football about six hundred miles From. Cincinnati UC's head coach at the, Time Tommy, tupperville did not offer him a Scholarship. Tubbs tubbs has been elected as a senator In. Alabama he apparently is going to run for governor Next he does not deserve a single vote in any state for not offering a scholarship To David montgomery after what he did At Mount Mount Healthy High.
Speaker 3: School how can you?
Speaker 2: Miss how can you not at least Offer that's a that's a, crime that's a huge that is that's.
Speaker 4: Criminal that's not a. Miss that's a. CATASTROPHE i mean The montgomery family that they probably couldn't believe. It they're, like WHAT i, BET i bet if he offered there would have been some serious consideration given to, it you.
Speaker 14: Know.
Speaker 2: Crazy all, right we're going to take a time out when we come. Back AN nfl network analyst gives his formula for The bengals pulling off an upset On. Sunday this is The bengals Pep Rally show presented By just Beaar, chicken live from the on The Rhyane eatery.
Speaker 3: AT espn fifteen.
Speaker 2: Thirty welcome back to The bengals Pep Rally show presented By Just Spared, chicken live here ON espn fifteen. Thirty we're at the on The Rhine eatery in Downtown. Cincinnati it's the food hall above the Downtown kroger At court And. Walnut plenty of on street parking. Nearby you can also park in the three C dc garage On Central. Parkway we're here until six o'clock. Tonight our special guest is going to Be Josh.
Speaker 3: Newton just heard.
Speaker 2: From josh might be a few minutes, late but he will be here this, afternoon so we look forward to Having.
Speaker 3: Josh on the.
Speaker 2: Show, yes sir so The bengals are getting ready to take on three and One Detroit. Lions since the start of twenty twenty, three they're thirty two to. Ten so not just good, now they've been good for two plus. Years Dan campbell has done a tremendous job with this. Team and considering that The bengals don't Have Joe burrow and they've struggled the last couple of, Weeks cincinnati is a big underdog going into the. Game but, hey the forty Nine ers were an eight and a half point underdog last. Night they beat The, rams and they did so with their backup Quarterback Mac.
Speaker 3: Jones so what is the?
Speaker 2: Formula how can The bengals get the job done and stun The lions and send their fans home? Disappointed On, SUNDAY i pose that question To Brian baldinger from THE Nfl.
Speaker 15: Network you just paid two wide receivers a boatload of money to go win, games and, Honestly, dan your stars win, games and those are your, stars so you gotta find ways to get you, Know, jamar big, guy you, KNOW i think they're gonna Bench terry And arnold this. WEEK i, mean he was a first round. Pick he has not played. Well he's had a lot of, penalties a lot of penalty he's last. Year so their, secondary while they have had a lot of, takeaways especially you know at the safety, position they're vulnerable out, there and so take your, shots take your go, balls.
Speaker 3: You, know against with t And jamar and hit.
Speaker 2: Them terry And, arnold by the, way he's the number two cornerback so to speak For. Detroit their number one cornerback went on injured reserve this, week So terry And arnold probably won't be benched in light of, THAT i was dealing with a shoulder issue on The lions injury report.
Speaker 3: Today he's expected to.
Speaker 2: Play, however one of their other, Cornerbacks Khalil, dorsey is, out so now they're down two guys from the. Secondary one of their great safety is one of the best in THE, Nfl Kirby joseph is listed as. Questionable they're left Tackle Taylor decker listed is. Questionable so The bengals injury report pretty. Clean Shamar stewart is, Out Charlie jones is. Questionable far more names to deal with for The lions This.
Speaker 4: Sunday, yeah that could be A that's always a, FACTOR i mean the injury ratio as, such And detroit obviously more injuries and more injuries to key, players players that they lean, on players that they they count on to be there when they go to. Barrel so you just never. KNOW i Do. BALDI i Like baldi's. Theory you, Know baldi obviously you played in The National Football. League it's been a broadcast for a long. Time understands the, game knows the game cold talked, about you, know the deep, ball get the deep ball To jamar and T. HIGGINS i like. THAT i also like mix it in with beat The lions at their own. Game you, Know i'm a believer in. That you know it is all, Right yeah you think you can run the, ball, well, Yeah we'll show you we can run the ball well. Too why not match their their production on the. GROUND i, mean if they rush for one hundred and twenty five to hundred and fifty, yards about The bengals doing the same thing and then blitzing them in the passing, game you, know and winning the football. Game i'd love to see them not just beat The, lions but The bengals beat The, lions but beat them, handily beat them by two score, more beat them by ten. Points come, on love to see.
Speaker 2: It i'd love to see it. Too it seems Unlikely i'll take a one point. Blowout OH i would, too, Fine, yeah no doubt about. It one thing about The lions defense this. Year they've given up an opening drive touchdown in every, game Including cleveland last. Week and we know The browns offense has struggled this. Year cleveland opened the game last week with a thirteen, play eighty eight yard touchdown drive that took more than seven minutes off the. Clock they didn't do much after, that but if you're looking for The bengals at home to try to jump out to an early, lead maybe get the crowd on your, side get some momentum going in your. Direction The lions again have surrendered an opening DRIVE tv in all four of their. Games so that's one thing to keep an eye on this.
Speaker 4: Week, yeah that's that's pretty, amazing opening drive touchdown every single. Game now we're only talking about, four but still that's a significant that's a. Trend when you're talking four, games all four of, them a thirteen play. Drive thirteen plays is not an easy thing to. DO i, mean, man you're you're putting together multiple first downs in a thirteen play. DRIVE i, mean could be a crazy, number really a first downs depending on how many big plays you have in that. Drive but, Man i'd love TO i, mean that'd be a great way to to start the recipe for. Success score, early score, often and nothing better than scoring first and scoring on the first drive of the. Game that would be a great sign for The Cincinnati bengals On sunday at one.
Speaker 2: Pm coming up, next The bengals offensive line is in the crosshairs. Again we'll hear From ted car on that. Topic, next you're listening to The bengals Pep Rally show presented By Just Beared chicken here at the on The Rhyine eatery.
Speaker 3: ON espn fifteen. Thirty thank, You.
Speaker 2: Dan, Orden dave laugh on back of The bengals Pep Rally show presented By Just Beared. Chicken it's The bengals And lions coming up This sunday at four to twenty. Five this week's game presented By Cattering. Health over the past couple of, weeks The bengals offensive line has been getting quite a bit of criticism as the offense has sputtered and obviously they've had something to do with.
Speaker 3: It it's not all their.
Speaker 2: Fault but if you look at The Pro Football focus, Grading Orlando Brown junior's got a pretty good, grade number thirty five among one hundred and nine tackles that have played enough snaps to. Qualify everybody else ranks pretty low at their. Position, again that's according TO, pff which is not the be, all end, all but in any, case here's Center Ted kerris on the need to play better up front to get this offense.
Speaker 4: GOING i think we got to convert their.
Speaker 8: DOWNS i think we got to eliminate precinct, penalties play ahead of the sticks and punch it.
Speaker 4: In the red.
Speaker 8: Zone and it's just all individual, execution working together as a, unit as position groups and as an offensive. Team so we're you, know no one's hanging their. Head we're getting it from all. Angles, guys we hear, you and that is what it is and we deserve. That but no, one LIKE i said, earlier you can't break my. Spirit you're not gonna break this team, spirit and we're gonna come out and be ready for a football Game, sunday four.
Speaker 3: PM i feel for the old.
Speaker 2: Lineman they are the ones that are taking the bulk of the, heat even though it has been a team, effort particularly on.
Speaker 4: Offense, yeah if you are no alignment for The Cincinnati, bengals stay off of social. MEDIA a good, call getting roasted and. Toasted BUT i do, LIKE i do Like ted's. Approach you, know it's, like, hey the positivity of. It, look you, know we gotta execute the red, zone you, know we gotta we gotta take care of. Business we're gonna handle the running. Game we're gonna play with some, emotions some. ENERGY i, mean he's he's all about. It he's a he's a tremendous. Leader Ted Carris is Uh is was born to, Lead there's no question about. That and UH i think The Cincinnati bengals are very fortunate to have, him you, know in the, fold uh for this, year to help lead this young offensive. Line that's the, thing you, know it's, Like i'm not gonna cry on my, beer you, know a loose. Interpretation i'm not gonna get my dabber. Down i'm not gonna. Quit and that's the. Thing nobody's gonna, Quit nobody up, front nobody in that group is gonna. Quit, uh it's. Not it's not in THEIR dna that's not what they're all. About they're gonna give, effort they're Gonna you're gonna, Fight they're gonna fight to the bitter.
Speaker 2: End there was a play On monday night Against denver where The bengals had six guys trying to block three and the two defensive ends for The broncos time to snap count. PERFECTLY i think the play clock was just about down to, zero so they knew they could go without fear, of you, know being. Penalized they blew by the tackles rather and both converged in On Jake. Browning that was one of those plays that you, know you mentioned stay off social. Media that one's getting replayed over and over. Again still pictures of you, know six guys and there really only one is getting blocked when three are coming at. You that's the type of thing that they Really you do yourself no favors if you're going to be searching for.
Speaker 4: Criticism oh and you know when you first start playing the game that that's going to be part of the. Process you play the. Game after the, game you get criticized after when you. Lose when you, win you might get. Praised and it all depends on how much you won buy how clean the game. Was you, know that's what you sign up. For and fans paid good. Money they paid people to go to these games and be. Entertained and, uh they want their they want their hometown team to to uh you, know show, out show, out and show.
Speaker 2: Up you played before social. Media what was the closest thing talk? Radio letters to the. Editor did you get nasty mail at the? Stadium what was the closest.
Speaker 4: Thing, yeah it was, Probably, uh it's funny to the offensive. Line we didn't really get much much mail with the.
Speaker 3: Quarterback kenny would Show kenny's in box's.
Speaker 4: Fault oh, Man, Kenny kenny would show me. Stuff i'm, like, man come, on, bro not get so. Personal you.
Speaker 3: Know it's LIKE i hate your. Mustache yeah In Augustana college.
Speaker 4: Sucks it's you, know there's nothing you can do. Right uh you, know it's, like, yeah YOU i hate what you, EAT i hate what you. DRINK i hate.
Speaker 3: You it's.
Speaker 4: Unbelievable but and then and then the the tough thing is the sad thing is they start taking, shot you, know at your. Family you, know they start picking throwing insults at your wife and your. Kids come, ON i Mean they're totally. Innocent they're not even part of the part of the process. Whatsoever.
Speaker 3: Uh you.
Speaker 4: Know unfortunately for, them when it's in a bad, time they're just blood, relation you, know and and there's nothing they can do about.
Speaker 2: It you did share with me before that in a particularly bad, season on your drive, home you would cut the lights a little bit, early just so the neighbors didn't know that The spangles offensive LINE i was rolling into the.
Speaker 4: Driveway, Absolutely i'd roll into that and sometimes if one of the neighborhood THAT i was living in at the, time there were two big circles the way the neighborhood was, designed So i'd come in the back, circle you, know and come around and kind of cruising that, way And i'd creep, man you, KNOW i didn't want to draw any attention to myself. Whatsoever, so, yeah those are those are challenging times because you, know you obviously you want to do. Well you have great pride in the fact that you're playing professional, football and it's. Tough. REALLY i can remember my kids at, Breakfast, DAD i don't want to go to. School they're all killing, me they're all picking on, me they're all saying you. Suck this is you, know you. Suck this guy. Sucks that, guy everybody. Sucks you. Know i'm, like, well you know that will that that they'll get over. That you, know it's like they don't really know what they're talking, about are you?
Speaker 3: Sure?
Speaker 2: Sure, Sure, No it's all part of their. Education it's part of their school.
Speaker 4: Exactly exactly how to handle Adversu.
Speaker 2: All, right we're gonna take a time. Out we've got one hour left in the. Show Josh Newton Fig newton will be joining us. Shortly we are live at the on The right eatery here in Downtown. Cincinnati it's The bengals Pep Rawley show AT espn fifteen thirty.
Speaker 1: Baron chicken on The Bengals Radio. Network Paycor pacor is proud to be the official age our software provider of The Cincinnati. Bengals Kettering Health Best care for The Best, Fans Kettering, Health official healthcare provider of The Cincinnati. Bengals this IS espn fifteen, thirty the official home of The Cincinnati. Bengals it is.
Speaker 3: Five oh three on A friday.
Speaker 2: Afternoon for many of, you the work week is, done the happy hour is, underway and we're getting you ready for a big football weekend here in The natty high school football, tonight The bearcats trying to knock off fourteenth Ranked Iowa state tomorrow at noon At Nippert, stadium and of course The bengals at home against The Detroit lions On sunday at four to twenty. Five this is The bengals Pep Rowley show presented By Just Bear. Chicken we're live at the on The ride eatery The Food haul above the Downtown kroger At Cordon. Walnut we're here for one more. Hour our show is Every friday from three to, six AND i have just heard From Josh.
Speaker 3: Newton he will be here.
Speaker 2: Shortly our special, guest the second Year bengals cornerback.
Speaker 3: Out OF Tcu.
Speaker 2: Nice we've been in the locker room this week after a tough loss On monday night In, denver the second in a row for The, bengals lopsided losses to The vikings and The, broncos both on the. Road many of the questions from reporters this week have been about the mood and the mindset after those back to back difficult. Games let's hear From bengals Quarterback Jake.
Speaker 11: Browning obviously frustrations with how little production we've had on, offense AND i don't think anyone's hiding from. That and SO i, think you, know you have the personal level and then you have the team level of how you evaluate. It and personal, level it's, like, okay remove all the how you're feeling about, Everything like just go through each game or each play and are there certain things that are showing up that you're doing that are contributing to the lack of success on? OFFENSE i think for me it's given you, know guys a better chance on some of these deep. Balls and then you, know on a team, level it's just what do you look like walking in the building On? Wednesday you know we all got we're all short, week all that different. Stuff everyone's pissed when you lay down at, night like DID i bring it today in A wednesday walkthrough WHERE i could have coasted through? Everything or DID i do you, know did you dedicate more of yourself or less of? Yourself and that's kind of Something zach's been, saying is you, know when there's adversity hitting or like things aren't going the way you, want like did you are you dedicating more of yourself to it to try and figure out the solution and be part of the, solution or are you dedicating less.
Speaker 3: So that the loss is hurt.
Speaker 11: Less you're kind of disconnected and you know you're making excuses for why things are going the way they, are and so nobody really knows how your response is except for.
Speaker 3: Yourself and SO i think for, Me i've always been.
Speaker 11: More just do, more and you, know whether the outcome is what you, like what you want it to, be or, not you at least you got the peace of. Mind there's a lot of things that go into winning football games and losing football, games but a lack of effort is just something very. Controllable and SO i think that's kind of the focus, on you, know for myself as showing.
Speaker 3: It to work and.
Speaker 2: Laugh that's really Been Zach taylor's message to his players this. Week you may have come out of the game On monday night, thinking, WELL i wasn't that. Bad it really wasn't my, fault that wasn't. Terrible that's not good. Enough each individual on this team has to be. Great try to be, great do everything they can do all week long leading up To sunday to be. Great and if everybody takes that, approach then they're going to be able to play the type of game it's going to take to knock Off.
Speaker 4: Detroit, absolutely you know you got to double. Down you can't be satisfied with just you, know going out and playing a football game and you, know giving enough effort to get through the football game. Unscathed you, know you want to go into a football game given every, ounce everything you can muster of the game and hopefully you come out on. Top if you, don't you just, say all, right, Well i'm not quitting on. It i'm gonna do the same, thing prepare the same, way maybe tweak it and even prepared a little bit harder and, longer because we're gonna win the football. Game next. Week bengals have to get out of a two game losing. Streak and it's not just losing the football. Game it's getting, crushed it's getting. SMOKED i, mean they've had the heart taken out of. Them and you, KNOW i think the only answer is collective work. ETHIC i think it always has been the.
Speaker 2: Answer The bengals offense has. Sputtered they're averaging two hundred and five yards a. Game they're last in the league in. Rushing they averaged four yards of carry On monday. Night wasn't a ton of? Carries only twelve rushes in the.
Speaker 3: Game did you see?
Speaker 2: Progress because to, me that's the first thing that they have to try to get.
Speaker 3: Fixed, YEAH i.
Speaker 4: Agree you, know, football when football was first, invented it was run the. Ball you, know it was like, rugby it was it was that's the biggest part of the game was being. Able can you can you dominate an opponent by running the, ball controlling the, tempo controlling the clock and putting points up on the. Board AND i think it will always be that. WAY i do think even the great passing, teams when they have to, run when they had to, run when they had to run the, football they had to make a play in the running game to win a football, game they could do, it and they did do, it even the great. ONES i, mean you, know you look At Joe montana To Jerry, rice they Had Roger. Craig they ran the ball and they ran the ball. Effectively Uh, so when when the offense is as balanced as, that, defensively that's that's a. SNOOTFUL i remember defensive coaches and defensive players talking about, man you know what do we take away? First? Here they got a lot of, weapons a lot of, ability a lot of ways they can, attack and that's what makes THE nfl THE.
Speaker 2: Nfl they face a great team On sunday In, detroit The lions fifteen and. TWO a year, ago they lost their offensive Coordinator Ben. Johnson he's now the head coach of The. Bears they lost their defensive Coordinator Aaron. Glenn he's the head coach of The. Jets they lost eight assistant coaches in, all and then didn't look very good In week one Against Green. BAY a lot of people were, Thinking, okay you can see that brain. Drain that's really going to affect the. Team and they've been very good since. Crushed The bears Beat baltimore In baltimore and then Beat cleveland last.
Speaker 4: Week, yeah and you know when you have great success Like Dan campbell and The Detroit, lions at that coaching staff's.
Speaker 14: Going to get.
Speaker 3: Raided they're going to get raided heavily.
Speaker 4: Hard when both coordinators become head, coaches they end up taking some coaches that they have really had a really close working relationship with when they were with The Detroit. Lions they're taking them with them to their respective new. Organization so there is there's a metamorphosis that has to take, place and you, know you got to get it figured. Out you got to get it figured out in the hurry because you've got a season coming and you're gonna have to get your new coaches and, players everybody on the same page in terms of what your offense and defense is going to look.
Speaker 2: Like all, right our special guest has, Arrived, yes, sir the second year with The Cincinnati, bengals number twenty eight cornerback out Of Texas Christian, university known to his teammates and coaches As.
Speaker 3: Big that's here it For Josh. Newton, yes, sir how y'all doing doing? Well how are? You i'm. Blessed i'm. BLESSED i can't.
Speaker 2: Complain you always have great. ATTITUDE i love singing in the. Building there's a smile on your, face there's great energy every. DAY i think you're going to be a future captain for The Cincinnati, bengals and we really appreciate you coming out.
Speaker 16: TODAY i appreciate you all for having. ME i actually LOVE i Like, cincinnati great. PEOPLE i haven't had any bad encounter miss with. Anybody beautiful, place historical. Place oh And i'm just trying to bring some more history to the. City, man that's.
Speaker 3: It love. It there you.
Speaker 4: Go, well the football history is three Super bowl appearances but No Super bowl. Wins so maybe you can be part of the history where bring that, victory That Super bowl victory to the city for, sure BECAUSE i know everybody's starving for.
Speaker 3: It man. Already look, me, Man i'm super hungry for. That bad.
Speaker 2: Boy lapp played in the First Super bowl for The, bengals Super bowl. Sixteen he was the starting left guard in that. Game so we made it to the mountaintop the wey.
Speaker 4: Wh where do we play? It we played it up In. Detroit oh it was.
Speaker 3: Cold that's.
Speaker 4: Cold it was real. Cold it was.
Speaker 2: Cold but the game that got them to That Super bowl was the coldest game in, history The Freezer bowl minus fifty. Nine and this guy that you're sitting next to convinced this fellow offensive lineman to go sleeveless to show how tough they.
Speaker 4: Were, YEAH i, wan, yeah we want to. Want, Yeah i'll tell you that it. Was it was so cold that we put. Vaselyine you, know they we could expose your, skin didn't have to wear long sleeves under your football. Jersey the referee, said you, know yeah you can if you want, to crazy, enough go, ahead go out, there beer. Arms so we, did and we put vaseline, on trying to you, know have a little coating, off and you couldn't manipulate. It, man you couldn't not move the. Vassoline it was that. COLD i was, Like, god no freezing to his.
Speaker 3: Game, yeah frozen. Masoline imagine they winning.
Speaker 4: Milk.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah being from The, south minus fifty nine would have been cold for.
Speaker 3: You would have been called for. Anybody but, yeah it's like counting the. Game Well i'm from not an.
Speaker 4: Option, Yeah i'm From New england and it gets. Cold you, Know i'm from The boston. Area it don't get. Cold it'll get sub temperature sub. Zero but, man not with. We we had like thirty thirty five million hour winds that caused the wind. Shill so it WAS i mean it was like quarterbacks couldn't throw it something when you kick it and end up coming back over here like a. Boomerang it was A it was a crazy day to play a football. Game but we end up winning that so everybody's good with.
Speaker 3: It, Good, yeah so.
Speaker 2: Big what's the week been like as you guys try to bounce back From monday night and beat a really good team at.
Speaker 16: Home it's, been it's. Been it's been. Good it's been it's been. Competitive AND i also can, say, like we gotta we got to get to an emotional balance to not having our captain out there and, uh just knowing that we still got a job to go do and we. Can we got the guys that can put this thing together until he. Returns but it's all it's just about our everyday, preparation our everyday, belief like do we truly believe that we can do?
Speaker 13: This and we have to come come to work every day with that type of, energy.
Speaker 4: With that type of.
Speaker 16: Mindset and we've been, paring preparing hard for. Sure and they have weapons on their. TEAM i mean it's the lead who don't have Webs so that's that's a known. Factor we can just that's already you know What i'm, saying. Understood but at the end of the, day it's about what we, do how we see, ourselves and what we, want what we truly want to do this, year what type of history we want to we want to Make So.
Speaker 4: Joe burrow came to Pay Court stadium this week for the first. Time what was it like for teammates to actually, see you, Know joe and how well he's doing and how a well rehabit's coming. Along how reassuring was it to everybody That joe's going to be good?
Speaker 16: Personally WHEN i seen my, game, hug he helped me. BACK i feel like he needed. That And, joe he's not really one of. Those he's a man of many. Words so a, handshake how firm HIS handshakee tells you how deeply or how tough he missed with. You so you just have to pay attention to things like. That and at the end of the, day he'll, warrior, Bro he'll fighterr. Through if you really know his. Story whenever he Left Ohio, state they talked dirty about, him you know What i'm. Saying so him proving him showing up the next year twenty, nineteen having one of the craziest years of his. Life they just goes to show you what he really. About and, man we have a great. RELATIONSHIP i talked to. Him i'm pretty sure y'all have heard about us sitting down, watching watching film and stuff like. That so he then also gave me game and JUST i try to pick some pick something from every TIME i, get every CHANCE i.
Speaker 3: Get and.
Speaker 16: He a great, dude especially if he if he messed with your get, down you come to work every, day you come to get, better like.
Speaker 13: He all that's his street, too you, Know, yeah he lived on that same.
Speaker 3: Street.
Speaker 2: Ye so in twenty nineteen when he was AT, lsu greatest quarterback season, ever sixty touchdown, passes undefeated, wins The, heisman most Lopsided heisman voat of all.
Speaker 3: Time in, fact you.
Speaker 2: Were playing Nearby Louisiana. Monrow what was it like to be in the state When burrowmania was taking.
Speaker 3: OFF i was just. Supporting i'm like he rolling this. Year.
Speaker 16: Uh also was in my head LIKE i CAN'T i can't. Wait THE covid also now is definitely. Here so they had they.
Speaker 4: Had a receiver down there in that game on that team by the name Of Jamar.
Speaker 3: Chase uh.
Speaker 4: Huh, SO i mean he was probably probably is the greatest receiver play at any, level you, know high, school college or national. Football you put together phenomenal season. There he had the triple crown up here last.
Speaker 3: Year so.
Speaker 4: When you see a guy Like Jamar chase at the at the receiver, position what do you? Think how how do you feel, like all, right how are we going to handle this? Guy what do we have to do to make sure that this guy doesn't take over a football game against?
Speaker 16: Us first of, all you always have to know what he's. AT i don't care what play it, is where he, at and most of the time when he's on the, move he's probably getting a ball, right so that's a. Tail if he's backside by, himself you pressed up the ball, coming if you pressed up on t the ball, coming so you pretty much can tell when the ball. Coming so you, know just being on your piece of q's he can break the.
Speaker 3: Game we're talking About.
Speaker 16: Jamar he could take a slant eighty, yards so he could go, kick run by somebody and catch an eighty.
Speaker 3: Yrs so it really don't.
Speaker 16: Matter all three level players, short, intermedia, deep good, hands and he also really are running back after he gets the ball in his hand, too a tough tackle AND i feel like he's just a, complete complete offensive player for.
Speaker 2: Sure how much has it helped you to practice against those guys every?
Speaker 16: Day all it helped tremendously because they got all tricks of the. Trade they, know the little vent, moves the little sneaky stuff that the ref not gonna. See you know What i'm, Saying the sneaky push, off the sneaky little elbow for the.
Speaker 3: Fade you know What i'm.
Speaker 16: Saying it's just a little minor things that AS i get, older somebody that is you know What i'm, saying a rookie receiver gonna try to do it on.
Speaker 3: Me they ain't gonna get me BECAUSE i didn't seen.
Speaker 15: It.
Speaker 3: Befolks you, know.
Speaker 13: It's just like it's it's it's chicks AND i checked.
Speaker 4: Us so what the veteran player or players have, Said, Hey, brook you know you're a hell of a. Player. Man you're gonna help this football team a. Time how ABOUT i forgive you a few tips, about you, know working out during the, season how it's different in the off season from in seasonal, workouts taking care of your, body, nutrition all those kinds of, things how to handle life from The National Football. League has there been a player or players with The Cincinnati bengers that have given you heads up in that?
Speaker 3: Regard for?
Speaker 16: Sure Trey, henderson Uh Orlando brown definitely taught To Joe, Chase, Yoshi Joseph, OSAI Bj Hill nice really like the guys that have made you know What i'm, saying made major players for The bengals like. That the guys that's been here that you know What i'm, saying they know they know what The Super bowl feel. Like SO i try to go talk to. Them the ones that you know What i'm, saying they reached the mountain top and you, KNOW i mean a couple of guys we don't have, anymore like the Von Bell's Mike.
Speaker 13: HILL i learned a lot.
Speaker 16: From both of them last year because you know What i'm, saying my rookiear and they were in the. Room, Ye SO i asked a. LOT i asked him a lot of. QUESTIONS i learned a lot from, them and you, know just just really just going to, room going around the. Room it don't matter who it, is an old, lineman d lion quarterback tighty, end it don't. Matter information and information from everybody right right right for, sure our.
Speaker 2: Special guest Is bengals Cornerback Josh. Nelton we're gonna take a time. Out when we come, back we will hear from his, Position Coach Chuck berks And White Chuck Fake. Newton this is The bengals Pep Rowley show presented By. Chick we'll hear them in our. Headphone he will not be, here but we'll hear from. Him it's The bengals Pep Rowley show presented By Just Baared, chicken live at the on The Rhyde eatery in Downtown. Cincinnati here ON espn fifteen thirty to The bengals Pep Rowley show presented By Just Baired chicken live from the on The Rhyine. Eatery we're here with our special, Guest Josh newton until six. O'clock we got to make sure that you get some of the dry rub wings before you.
Speaker 3: Go.
Speaker 4: Good they are.
Speaker 3: Stellar WHAT i, Is we'll.
Speaker 2: Make sure That, nick the manager who's, great brings you some during the show or after the, show whichever you. Prefer after the show sounds, Good, nick you heard the. Request josh is going to take some of those dry rub wings at the end of the show And i'll.
Speaker 3: Ranch i'll be tebal. Geez there you. Go all, right we know your. PREFERENCES i like.
Speaker 2: It josh is in his second year with The bengals after being drafted last year out OF. Tcu started his college career At Louisiana, monroe finished it AT. Tcu played in The national championship game a few years. Ago his position Coach Chuck, berks who loves some Fake. Newton let's hear from your, position, Coach Chuck.
Speaker 17: Berks josh is really the heart beat at the secondary in my.
Speaker 3: Team josh is his, leadership his.
Speaker 17: Consistency he's a. Guy it's extremely important to. Him AND i really, like you, know just talking about last, Year not THAT i want to talk about last, year but what you saw as you saw a guy who consistently got better each. Week he got better each, week and then he's not how to drop. Off he's still getting. Better SO i like where he's. At and he's played, nickel he's played.
Speaker 7: CORNER i just like.
Speaker 3: Him like him a.
Speaker 2: Lot so that was a CONVERSATION i had With Chuck berks before the, season And i'll be honest when he, Said josh is the heartbeat of the. Secondary that surprised me only because it's your second. Season normally that's the type of thing that you hear about, veterans BUT i didn't take it as a negative about anybody. ELSE i took it as a really strong positive for, you just that that's your. Personality what do You what do you think when you hear your coach say.
Speaker 16: THAT i feel like it just it's a sign of respect my every day get, down my, attitude my my.
Speaker 13: FOCUS i come in and work every. Day that that that, only that's what speaks for.
Speaker 16: HIMSELF i don't even have to really say anything because for him to say, that that Means i'm doing EVERYTHING i need to be doing.
Speaker 4: Right, Agreed, yeah it's it's a a great feeling for head coach, coordinators assistant coaches to know.
Speaker 3: That.
Speaker 4: Man, Yeah, Josh, josh he's a worker. MAN i, mean this game is important and he wants to be the best he can possibly. Be he's trying to, improve he's trying to get better every single. Day we can work with a guy like.
Speaker 16: That, FACT i know they, can and for them to be able TO i want them to be able to go home and you, know we ain't got a worry about feed and you know that's the that's the that's the that's the that's the feeling you want to give your.
Speaker 13: Parents you know What i'm saying you prove you grow, up you prove to your parents Like.
Speaker 16: MA i got, It, DAD i got. It it's the same thing with, Them, COACH i got. You so you, Know i'm gonna keep keep working and working until you know it. Happened But i'm on the way. Though we are definitely on the.
Speaker 3: Way.
Speaker 2: Man did you love it from day? One was just as soon as you started playing? Football did it capture you soon?
Speaker 3: As?
Speaker 13: No, no my first love was not.
Speaker 3: Football it was.
Speaker 4: Track.
Speaker 16: Huh and you know AS i got, older being outside with your, COUSINS i mean my first, cousin like we two. Peeple my grandma said we two peas in the, plot so.
Speaker 15: You know what that.
Speaker 3: Means so monkey see, monkey, dude he loved.
Speaker 16: FOOTBALL i love, track and we got to like junior high and we started playing like mid middle school for football AND i ain't looked back since same.
Speaker 3: Age, yeah he's seven months. Apart.
Speaker 13: Wow so she was born In february two. Thousand i'm born In. September.
Speaker 4: Wow so what was your that track and field where you were one hundred spe? Hundred did you run the twenty?
Speaker 3: Meeting oh, NO i ain't run noo to.
Speaker 4: Got that's got raced.
Speaker 3: Man i'm. Good so did YOU?
Speaker 16: U did you ever play? OFFENSIVE i played? Receiver did YOU i played? OFFENSE i bet you're hell of a. WHITE i went TO ulm as a. RECEIVER i didn't switch until twenty, nineteen SO i went through my redshirt freshman.
Speaker 3: Year so that season went. By then that next SPRING i.
Speaker 16: DID i finished the, receiver and then NINETEEN i switched TO dv your choice or.
Speaker 2: Theirs my toy wanted to get on the.
Speaker 3: Field m, hm. Yeah do you love playing defense? Now for? Sure for? Sure?
Speaker 16: Why because LIKE i feel like you can plug and play an offensive, player you can't plug and play no a GREAT dv or GOOD. Dv and y'all, know as long y'all been watching, ball as long As i've been, born it's easy to tell a bad corner than any other position on the. Field that's, true you, Know so having great corners is never enough. Thing there's never enough good, corners like every every team looking for, it like, opposition opposition gonna be hot until football is done being.
Speaker 4: Played and.
Speaker 3: It's an exciting exciting position.
Speaker 16: To, play and it's not for everybody if you're not built a certain way of your, mindset not set a certain, way then you're not gonna be able to survive at this.
Speaker 3: Position AND i don't care who you, are.
Speaker 4: That's totally agree with. That and for that been through that with some some, guys some. Players what player or players or coach or coaches had the biggest impact on? You taught you how to play, football not just you, know learning assignments that sort of, thing but what it took for you to be an outstanding football. Player what what you have to draw from deep down within and get, yourself you, know to the next level and the next level after.
Speaker 13: THAT i remember the first the first TIME i switched THE.
Speaker 16: Dv my coaches name is my FIRST dv cod's name to pay your, Card, Senior and the first thing he told me, was, hey, man you got everything THAT i don't have to. Coach you got, attitude you got, effort and you can. Run ALL i need to teach you is. Technique you learn is technique you're gonna. Go and this Is Louisiana. Monroe this is BEFORE i took a snap of cornerback, period, right you know What i'm. Saying so he, knew he knew what it could.
Speaker 3: Be BEFORE i even.
Speaker 16: Knew and ALL i did was just keep working and keep trusting what his vision, was and eventually it became my.
Speaker 3: Vision now you know What i'm. Saying now it's my.
Speaker 16: Standard SO i feel like this that was a pivotal moment for me and my career right, There like just hearing that my first day coming, in you got every you got EVERYTHING i. NEED i just need you to do, This. Okay, cool it's a big.
Speaker 4: Impact, man he impacted your life big time for.
Speaker 3: SURE i feel like that name is familiar to. Me Perry Carter.
Speaker 2: Senior is he still? There has he coached anywhere?
Speaker 3: ELSE i know that he coached At tennessee The titans last.
Speaker 16: Year we was able to share a moment THAT i got my FIRST nfl, pick my FIRST dv coach was the coach for The.
Speaker 3: Titans so that's pretty. Cool, yeah that was a full.
Speaker 16: Circle, story, man full circle moment for, us because we talked about that years probably like, bro you're gonna you're gonna do. Something you got a chans like he always sent me messages before before the college season, started like but you got a chance to put some money in your, party to take care of your, mama all of. It so all of it was worth, it all of his motivations and all all the, rips all the redos THAT i had to do to get it, Right like it's all it always worth.
Speaker 2: It so he probably couldn't admit it in his own locker, room but it's.
Speaker 18: Happening he definitely called. It was, like you, know, yeah yeah, man so so he definitely called me. Though so let's talk about this week's opponent a little. Bit here we go To Detroit.
Speaker 4: Lions uh. Huh they got some, uh they got some players they do and they got a quarterback pretty good, golf you, know he can get it.
Speaker 3: Done.
Speaker 4: Yep they get guys who can, run guys who can run precise, routes uh and and catch the. Football they get good hands and get yards after catch and all that good. Stuff what's you're gonna take to our control and shut down This Detroit?
Speaker 16: Lions high powered, offense, focused, community, cation, trust.
Speaker 3: EXECUTION i like.
Speaker 4: It That's that's a that's a to do list that everybody should check, off high, school college OR. Nfl man take care of those one at a. Time, yeah what is that something that you have come up with yourself or did you learn that based on experiences with other coaches at high, school, college or professional, Level how did how did you come up with that? Formula right, THERE.
Speaker 16: I say a little bit of, both and of course time times. Teachers time teaches a lot of.
Speaker 3: Lessons.
Speaker 4: Yep And.
Speaker 3: I've been on a zero and ten, Team i've.
Speaker 4: Been, right that had to be Fund.
Speaker 16: I've been on a twelve and no team in a regular season, heights and just those differences within the record shows you the difference in between the act and the, focus the attention to, detail the, trust because one says trust and one says no. Trust one says focus and one says not. Focus, respect one says respect the game is one says they don't respect the. Game so it's it's The it's clear lines in between good heavens and bad.
Speaker 3: Heavens so just.
Speaker 13: However you wanted to look is how much you gonna care about?
Speaker 3: It So i'm trying to care about.
Speaker 16: It as much AS i can BECAUSE i want to maximize BECAUSE i KNOW i ain't playing ball, forever SO i ain't in it for just shits and.
Speaker 3: Giggles, right.
Speaker 2: All, Right, right we're gonna take a time out coming up. Next we won't listen back to a memorable moment And josh's YOUNG nfl. Career this is The Bengals Pep Brownley shall presented by Just Fair checker In life from the on The Ryan eatery on THE espn fifteen.
Speaker 3: Thirty we are back at the on The Ryan.
Speaker 2: Eater are you with their special, Guest bengals Cornerback josh Fig newton out OF tcu.
Speaker 3: And his SECOND nfl. Season we're going to turn the clock.
Speaker 2: Back josh had a regular season interception last year against The Tennessee, titans but he also had one in his very FIRST nfl. Game this is a preseason game last, year the opening game Against Tampa. Bay let's turn the clock back and. Listen shotgun snap trash with a deep drop he throws before getting.
Speaker 19: Out oh and in HIS intercepti Fig, newton the rookie out OF tcu with tremendous coverage and he comes away with the interception at the thirty four yard.
Speaker 3: Line you're Darn tuton love Fig.
Speaker 4: Newton now's the heck of a play right.
Speaker 2: There your Darn suton loved Big. NEWTON i loved laps call on. That so it's a preseason. Game it doesn't go down in the record. Books but when you come up with a pick the very first time you're on AN nfl, field what does that do for your?
Speaker 3: Confidence all the way through the? Rule that's WHY i was finna go with.
Speaker 16: It like it's sent chills through my, body but it was confidence like, yeah you know What i'm.
Speaker 3: Saying, Yeah like it made me feel LIKE i belong.
Speaker 4: Here you definitely belong for, sure you definitely all.
Speaker 3: Right SO.
Speaker 4: I asked this. Question a lot of intelligent players like yourself that have high football.
Speaker 3: Like, you do you ever want to?
Speaker 4: Coach did you ever think about for potentially coaching when you're?
Speaker 3: DONE i tell, you what? Level not a?
Speaker 16: Level now THIS i feel like that's the that's the hardest thing to pick because like, nowadays by by TIME i start, coaching and hopefully and.
Speaker 3: It's in a long, time, yeah twenty years down. Road, yeah but hopefully college football is not like it.
Speaker 13: Is, yeah excuse me with all the household to you.
Speaker 16: Know, what, man you we know what's. Saying we know what's going on in the college football area. Today i'm as a, Coach i'm really not trying to you know What i'm. Saying i'm not trying to play tug a war with, money, RIGHT i need somebody that want to be do this without the, money Because i've did it for, free but beforet AND i am So i'm looking for a person that's like.
Speaker 3: That, yeah you know What i'm.
Speaker 13: Saying so that those are the type of Players i'll be looking.
Speaker 16: For and it's gonna be hard just because everything is gonna be so, updated and you, know you know What i'm. Saying, so but that's gonna be the main. Thing Like i'm gonna be looking who what's inside.
Speaker 2: You it's impossible to know what college football is going to look like by the time you've done playing in THE. Nfl but hopefully they'll have some of this stuff in order and it'll be a little bit more where a coach can have a long term relationship with the.
Speaker 7: Player, yes, YES i.
Speaker 4: Hope it's getting closer and closer to THE ncuba AND nfl a the. SAME i, mean we're, getting, yeah closer and closer to being the same type of. Dynamic you don't want, that.
Speaker 3: And i'm gonna.
Speaker 16: Saya it just was out of hand before they started putting the camp on.
Speaker 3: It, yeah, yeah all, right we.
Speaker 2: Are a little bit behind the. Clock so we need to take another commercial break here when we come. Back prior to coming To, Cincinnati josh made a legendary speech to his teammates AT. Tcu we'll hear a little bit of that when we come. Back this is The Bengals Pep Raley show presented By Just Bear, chicken live from the on The Rhine etery here in Downtown, cincinnati.
Speaker 3: ON espn fifteen.
Speaker 2: Thirty looking back to The Bengals Pep Rallley show presented By Just Peared chicken live from the on The Ryan eatery here in Downtown, cincinnati were with our special, Guest Josh. Newton josh was talking about this a little bit. Earlier in his second college year at Louisianaman, roe the team went winless oh and. Ten two years, later he was on a team that went undefeated in the regular season and played for a national championship AT, tcu and prior to that, Year josh made a legendary speech to his teammates that has gone down IN tcu. History you can see the whole thing on the, internet AND i highly recommend you do. So but we're going to play the tail end Of josh's famous preseason speech to his.
Speaker 13: Teammates god gave us change for the ones that been.
Speaker 20: Here he gave y'all a new. Staff he gave me a new home and new. Family what we gonna do? Me because we trained these lights out in lot owns day went today. Sixty he's the only People we need to count him though outside is going to be. Outside we need to focus on. Him, trainers, coaches, players everybody else outside The dame put me in the, work you mean the.
Speaker 3: Time so they're gonna do.
Speaker 4: This all, day whether we win or.
Speaker 7: Not but we all want heart.
Speaker 3: Beat it on.
Speaker 21: Sound we can't be, beat, man we can't be. Beat can't be, beat won't be. Beat come, on, man what we gonna?
Speaker 3: Do the? All what we gonna?
Speaker 16: Do the?
Speaker 3: All put up a shut up So.
Speaker 2: I'll run through a wall for that guy.
Speaker 3: THERE i love that.
Speaker 2: Speech we can't be, beat we won't be beat if we all do it with one. Heartbeat it's an awesome. Speech, AGAIN i highly recommend people watch the whole thing on the. INTERNET i get the chills honestly every TIME i watch, that and it played a, ROLE i, mean got your teammates say that speech before the season made a difference for sure it. Did what was that season, like your first year AT, tcu two years after a winless, season and now you're Playing michigan For national.
Speaker 16: Championship you know how you start at the bottom of a roller coaster and you feel like you're just going up and it never and it feels like it never get to the. Top imagine getting to the top and The National championship.
Speaker 3: Sixty five seven.
Speaker 2: Game did not go, well that was, unfortunate but you played for.
Speaker 3: One you know What i'm.
Speaker 13: Saying, yeah like that explains that whole, season.
Speaker 4: Twelve and, zero.
Speaker 16: Everything, around how everybody getting, raises, everybody you know What i'm, saying, cheering, clapping, boohooing, overtime double, overtime.
Speaker 3: Back and forth.
Speaker 16: Time you know What i'm, Saying just making the, count pulling that all together and getting to the, peak the peak of, it and just.
Speaker 3: Not. FINISHING i feel, like, yeah that's THE.
Speaker 16: I won't say that's the glory, part but it's just like the part that gives, you like the the extra few to just keep.
Speaker 3: Going AND i hate to say.
Speaker 16: IT i hate to we always hate to say losses turning the, lessons but it.
Speaker 3: Is it's real true, though it's what you have to try to do.
Speaker 16: Right And, uh that season was a bunch of a bunch of, joy a bunch of, relief especially my, past coming from WHERE i come from and working to get an opportunity to play on that type of stage every. Weekend, uh definitely a testament to my, my my, parents my, mom my, grandma everybody that raised, me because it take a village to be one, person AND.
Speaker 13: I just thank them for.
Speaker 16: That LIKE i feel like IF i wouldn't a PERSON i needed to, BE i wouldn't be able to go INTO tcu and you know What i'm, saying become a fief round draft pick and become a second year player for The.
Speaker 13: Bingers talking on this on this radio show right, now there you.
Speaker 16: Go so IF i wasn't handling my stuff back, then today wouldn't even, Be it wouldn't even.
Speaker 3: Exist so The.
Speaker 4: Thriller victory agony defeat you lived? In, YEAH i, mean you know there was A tv show that you know obviously every week Was The Thriller Victory and you see the joyous reactions and the agony. Defeat you see how people felt about getting beaten and beaten. Badly what what's it like in real, life real time to experience the, thriller, victory, agony defeat with everybody you, know with with your, teammates with your, coaches you, know with your friends and, family.
Speaker 3: Stuff like.
Speaker 16: That it makes me look look with then, Right and this is but simple to the simple fact because we all individually play a part and that's what makes up the. Team the organization makes everything go. Around so when everything not going, Good i'm gonna look at, Myself i'm gonna look at my. Work i'm gonna look at my body. Work i'm gonna take care of me, first because that's the only PERSON i really could. CONTROL i can help, others BUT i can't control so me being so locked in or me giving my preparation and energy it. Needs they probably can venture off and trick off to the next teammate and then next, teammate next.
Speaker 3: Teammate now we now we're.
Speaker 16: Moving now we're getting close to eleven people being who they need to. Be and that was the type of energy we had on that team that specific. Season everybody was trying to go to the next. Level and if, honestly, bro if you playing, football you not trying to go to the.
Speaker 4: League what are you.
Speaker 2: Doing, yeah, true all, Right we're gonna take our final time. Out when we come, back we will, play, Oh America's favorite game.
Speaker 3: Show there we, Go know Your?
Speaker 2: School Five questions ABOUT.
Speaker 3: Tcu you've got to get three rights to be a. Winner there you? Go all? Right josh does not sound.
Speaker 2: Confident The Bengals Pep Rallley Show live from the on The Ryine Eatery here AT espn fifteen thirty final segment Of The Bengals Pep Rawley Show live from the on The Rhyine. Eatery and we will have to be quick With America's Favorite game show because we are just about out of. Time we call It know Your? School Five questions ABOUT. Tcu For Josh, newton you need to get at least three right to walk out of here. Winner are you? Ready question number? One name the LEGENDARY tcu running?
Speaker 3: Back who's? Boom Question question number?
Speaker 2: Two what are most of the buildings on THE tcu campus made?
Speaker 3: Of?
Speaker 2: Like what's the exterior of most of the buildings on?
Speaker 3: Campus is it? Stone it's, brick.
Speaker 2: Specially blended golden. Bricks you're one for. Two specially brick would have been. Good question number three WHEN tcu plays s M u in, football The Iron.
Speaker 3: Skillet i'm a winner one, more you're one. Away what is the.
Speaker 2: Name of THE tcu? Mascot that's that's that's the team. Nickname but the the horn frog that runs around in a? Costume what do they call him for? HER i don't, know super frog all, Right so it.
Speaker 3: Comes down to this.
Speaker 2: Name the redheaded quarterback nice, digging who led The Horned frogs to The Rose bowl in twenty ten before being drafted by The Cincinnati bengalsh.
Speaker 3: And, correct you know your. School Congratulations Gosh, newton and thank you so gave me that. One.
Speaker 2: Though we don't like to embarrass the, guests but, hey you were very quick on the first few that you got. Right we really appreciate you coming out and do doing.
Speaker 13: THIS i actually got to meet, Him Ladania thompson actually got to meet.
Speaker 3: Him you. KNOW i played this alongside his. Nephew.
Speaker 16: HUH i just told, me, okay you know we. Played he was on the other side wind the. Championship so uh he always was you know What i'm. Saying WHENEVER i encount he always he loves HOW i get, down you, know how he loved HOW i go to work like number of lifting. Words so WHENEVER i WHENEVER i got a chance to meet, him LIKE i was, like you, know kind of thought STRUG i bet but health t he'll really he'll Real, ojito real solid, Dude like yeah for, Sure.
Speaker 2: No all. Right thanks To drew Wester, Heidi thanks To Tearing back in the. Studio thanks To, nick our manager here at theon the Rhyin. Eatery thank you to The bengals fans who came out to join. Us thanks To Josh newton For dave Laphaman Dan. Horde you've been Listening Brawley show ON espn fifteen.
Speaker 1: Thirty this Was Bengals rally presented By Just Baird chicken on The Bengals Radio.
Speaker 3: Network Pay.
Speaker 1: Corps Pay corp is proud to be the OFFICIAL hr software provider of The Cincinnati. Bengals Ulti, Viper Ulta viper the Official WiFi and T internet provider of The Cincinnati. Bengals this IS espn fifteen, thirty the official home of The Cincinnati, bengals