Speaker 1: Want it, That's why we are delivering it.
Speaker 2: This is the Boomberg Money Minute on seven hundred WLW. All right, look, check in with Gina Cervetti from our Bloomberg newsroom in New York.
Speaker 1: Good morning, Gina.
Speaker 2: Investors reacting already the big news Cincinnati based Fifth Third buying Comerica Bank.
Speaker 3: That's right, Tom, So investors seem a bit split on this news this morning. So far, Comerica shares are jumping higher ahead of the opening bell, but Fifth Third investors maybe aren't so sure. Those shares are moving a bit lower here in pre market trading this morning.
Speaker 1: Okay.
Speaker 2: Meanwhile, Tesla has investors attention this morning with some online posts that seemed to be pointing about a new product launch.
Speaker 3: Yeah, that's right. The shares are higher in pre market trading. Tom Tesla managed to peak the interests of investors with a series of social media post this morning. Now, these posts appear to be teasing a product unveiling tomorrow. When did Tesla Yeah, so we'll see, very interesting. When did Tesla last release.
Speaker 1: A new product?
Speaker 3: Well, it was the cyber truck, which has been kind of a disappointment for the company.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and it's an ugly truck too. Okay, how about the futures.
Speaker 3: Well, it looks like we could push further into record territory today. We've got the Dow futures up about a quarter of a percent, SMP futures up about a third of a percent. Now in those Nasdaq futures look the strongest, up almost one percent from Bloomberg. Genas Cervetti on news radio seven hundred WLW.
Speaker 2: Alrighty eight ten. We do it the morning after is what we call it. The morning after the Bengals play, and we're kind enough to kind enough to join us is a former Bengal Great wide receiver and return man, Tim McGee. Tim, the last three games, the Bengals have been outscored one hundred and thirteen to thirty seven. They've been outscored in the first half sixty nine to nine, and they've been outscored in the first three quarters of those games ninety seven to nine.
Speaker 1: How does that happen?
Speaker 4: Well, you lose arguably the best quarterback in the National Football League, and you face the reality that when you lose that that special, special player, and he is a special player, maybe you know there may be three of them out there. The whole dynamics of your team changes. The expectation levels should change if you're very realistic. But when there's emotions in tax and that's your team, that's your hometown team, that's your favorite team, you go, oh my god, this team we're still going to do.
Speaker 1: It's not going to happen.
Speaker 4: And all you got to do, Tom, we talked about this last week. What all you got to do is when you take the emotions out, like say Baltimore last week on the show, I said, if Lamar Jackson or Josh Allen gets hurt, you'll be like, oh my god, this team they're done.
Speaker 5: Well.
Speaker 4: It's no different here. I mean they were not a power broker team in the beginning, and now without the Joe Burrow because he brings so much to the table. And we're talking about time clock management eating up the clod scoring points, where now the defense is out there so much that yeah, teams are going to score a lot of points because the offense. You know, when you turn the ball over the offenses on the football field too much.
Speaker 2: If you're in that locker room today and they're off tomorrow, but they do come in today, are you expecting a change at quarterback.
Speaker 4: No, no, you know that's that's another thing that people, you know, the the your fan base, they want you to get this, the management, to get this, this, fix this right now. Well, you know, there's a reason if a guy's on the street, there's a reason he's on the street. So to pull someone off the street, you're probably not going to get better. Jake has been around, he knows the offense. Yes he's struggling, there's no question about it. But you know, when you're making that calculated guess, a guy that's been in the locker room for the last three years is much better than the guy that you're trying to get from Woming that's sitting on a weak farm right now, and you're going to throw him in there. So you just can't play musical tears with the quarterback position. So it's just tough. It's really, really, really tough to evaluate the team that lost their best player.
Speaker 2: But but Tim, I mean, look, I mean, I hear you in ninety nine point nine percent of his situations out there about another quarterback. But Russell Wilson is a guy granted in recent years has maybe not been the same guy, but in a game earlier this year, he threw for over four hundred yards in a game on a bad team. The guy can still move around. He he's an accomplished, proven winner. I have to believe, even though he's just sitting on the couch right now, that he's at least an option to try and get you a little bit better. We're five games into this year, with twelve games left to go, and a lot of people, maybe even in that locker room, are losing hope.
Speaker 4: Well they lost hope when they lost Joe Burrow. But to your point, yes, there is a point in time you do go look and see if you can kind of energize the team with a different look but in a different faith. Someone that comes in that can make it a little bit fresher. However, it's too early, or it was too early when you got a guy that's when you looked at Jake Brownie's record from two years ago, You're like, Okay, we got a serviceable guy here. Maybe he can you know, maybe we can go five Hundredcuse the division is so bad right now, maybe we can just hold on until Joe Burrow comes back.
Speaker 1: If he comes back.
Speaker 4: So to your point, yes, I get it, But now time I think we're creeping very very close to that time to go try to make that change and get someone in the locker room. But where do you find that guy? Where do you find him?
Speaker 1: All right?
Speaker 2: Let me ask you this though. Look, you know Mike Brown, you know him well. You and I have talked about this before. You get together with him at least once a year, if not more than that. We both agree that he is a fine man. He is a good man, a really good man. But at the same time, he owns a local football team, and you are five weeks, as I just said, into a season, and Tim, you can't have your fan base lose hope. I mean, two and three is not the end of the world, but it just doesn't look like their show up for games prepared to play the game. I mean they are getting boat raced in the opening quarter of these games.
Speaker 5: Well, Tom, I.
Speaker 4: Don't think that's based on when you look at the record, the Bengals conceivably have not won a game.
Speaker 1: At this point time.
Speaker 4: I mean, you know, you look at the Cleveland game missfield goal, okay, and you look at the Jackmanville Wild game, a drop pass.
Speaker 5: Those were the.
Speaker 4: Two plays that they ended up getting two wins out of so again, it disappoints me, but it doesn't shock me that these things are occurring. They're just not the team that we thought they were going to be coming into the season. But nevertheless, we didn't expect. We shouldn't have expected a whole lot more. They didn't make a lot of changes. You know, they resigned their top four players obviously over the last couple of years, Joe Burrow, t Higgins, Jamar Chase, and Trey They resigned them. But there's not been any additions that we can go, Wow, that offensive line is really good.
Speaker 1: Oh my god, that.
Speaker 4: Big defensive tackle we picked up from such and such is really really really going to help us. We don't have any of that. So again, I think we need to manage our expectations and hope some changes can be made and some improvements can be made, because right now it's just not looking good for the home team.
Speaker 1: You know, offense.
Speaker 2: Inside, now, if Zach Taylor were to come to you and say, hey, look, you know, look, I need some help here, you know, tell me one thing that they could be trying, that would be a little bit different on offense and people getting worked up about the offense showing up and Zach coming out. I'm really proud of my guys. I mean, give me a break, give me a break. What would there be one thing that you'd say, you know what, let's at least try this.
Speaker 4: They have to run the ball. They have to run the football, they have to keep the defense off football field. They have to establish run. We know what Jamar Chase and t Higgins can do. But if they have these explosive plays that don't lead to seven points, the defense is given up seven points, that means that's a four point difference in a scoring match to match the match. So I would try to really emphasize on running the ball. But that's just not Dak. Taylor's in the DNA. We know that he wants to be creative. The offenses is about him. So you know you have that maybe ego, maybe confidence, maybe creativity, but that alone is going to be a major mountain to overcome to say, let's just change our strips and let's commit to the run. No running game equals no wins.
Speaker 2: Did you think the defense played better yesterday? I mean, let's face it, with all the turnovers, they were really put behind the eight ball. But did you feel like there was some improvement on the defensive side yesterday.
Speaker 4: I think we have to kind of narrow down what was improvement. On one side, I think they hung in there. They you know, they were that ben but don't break. But on the other side, you see so many mistackles, bad angles, bad calls, just you know. So I don't think when you have a loss as sizeable as it was, I think it was more of Detroit kind of lost focus of their execution. But Bengals actually were taking plays, so you know, Trey made a couple of big plays. But all in all time, I just don't think it's a very talented unit that you can really expect them to really go out and perform at a high level that well, that they can win football games.
Speaker 2: What would you say, Tim mcgehan, and you talked about expectations and maybe that word is the answer. What would you say to the Bengal fan out there? And there are a ton of us, you and me included, that we're excited about the season, thinking hey, okay, maybe this would be a playoff team. But now, as you point out, your best player's gone down, what would you say to the Bengal fan out there right now, and how they should view games beginning this Sunday against Green.
Speaker 4: Bay manager expectation, this is not the team that with Joe Burrow. More than likely, depending on your opponent, get excited about the Pittsburgh Steelers and the Baltimore Races and the Cleveland Browns, because those are rivals that no matter what the records are, they're gonna come out and they're gonna play on a high level and it's going to be competitive. But for the most part, when they're playing as your top notch players, I mean top notch teams, they're probably gonna struggle. They just you know, it's a scenario yesterday. Let's look at it this way, Tom yesterday scenario for the Bengals to win. If Detroit had to play below seventy percent of their capabilities and the Bengals had to play above ninety percent, well, guess what, what are the likelihood of that happening? So when you go into a game as a former player, when you go into a game, you're very realistic about your chance to go win it.
Speaker 3: All.
Speaker 2: Right, Tim, you're the best joining us every single Monday, Buddy, I hope you have a great rest of your Day, and we'll catch up with you next week.
Speaker 1: Thank you for your time, Tim McGee, all right, Tom, thanks for having me.
Speaker 2: All right, Tim McGee one of the Bengal Greats wide receiver and return man.
Speaker 1: Love that dude. He's on top of his game.
Speaker 2: I'd tell you, I don't know if you're a subscriber to The Athletic. If you love sports, it's worth the money. And I'm not getting paid by these guys. I pay my money, I don't get it free. There is an absolutely incredible article in there about Ryan Day, the football coach at Ohio State, and the way he goes about his work week. You know, when the season began, you had Clemson, you had Texas, and you at Penn State, all ranked in the top four. They're a combined eight and seven this year, and Ohio State's undefeated and they can stub their toe anytime.
Speaker 1: We know that. I'm not suggesting that they're the be all end all, but when.
Speaker 2: You read about what Ryan Day does with his team every Sunday after they play on a Saturday, and they're undefeated, their ranked number one in the country. But let's remember they lost fourteen players to the NFL last year. Fourteen of them, and they have a freshman quarterback who had never started a game in his collegiate career, and right now he is the number one rated passer in all of college football, completing almost eighty percent of his passes. A lot of that has to do with how Ryan Day handles a Sunday after a game. If you know somebody that has the athletic I can send it to you. If not, find a way to check it out, because it is I mean, it is big time coaching stuff.
Speaker 1: All right, Let's get to Chuck Ingram.
Speaker 2: He's the Ryan Day of this traffic National champ Award winner everywhere, Tony Awards, you name it, he gets him.
Speaker 1: Good morning, sir, Good morning, yep. That's me all right.
Speaker 6: From the UC Health Traffic Center, Mammograms Saved Lives called five one three five eight four pink. Dischedule your annual mammogram with UC Health's expert team. That's five one three five eight four pink. Latest accident is on westbound two seventy five. It's just after you got pants five mile. They're on the left hand side. Traffic slows just a bit. All clear once again, eastbound two seventy five at Hamilton Avenue from an earlier wreck and on twenty eight westbound there's an accident just above two seventy five was blocking all the westbound lanes. Now they're over on the right hand side. Traffic's moving again. Chuck Ingram News Radio seven hundred WLW PR nine first warty four casts a chance of rain today. We're up to eighty three showers tonight, low sixty two, sunny in eighty three beautiful tomorrow. Then tomorrow night some rain rolls in, rolling into Wednesday morning, but then starting Thursday, sunshine fall like weather for the next five days eight twenty three, seven hundred WLW.
Speaker 1: This report is sponsored by Staples QWLW.
Speaker 3: A mixed reaction to the news that Fifth Third is buying Comerica Bank. Fifth Third shares were slipping this morning ahead of the opening bell, Comerica shares were surging. How much of your holiday shopping will happen online this year? Adobe predicts today that US shoppers will spend just over two hundred and fifty billion online in November and December. That's up five point three percent from last year. Adobe credits by now pay Later fueling growth. Still, that's a slower pace than last year's online sales gain of almost nine percent. An Xbox game Pass subscribers may have been caught off guard by Microsoft's price hike last week. The company announced a fifty percent price increase for the highest tier, boosting the cost to thirty dollars a month. Bloomberg spoke with several current and former Xbox employees who think that price hike, along with other game Pass changes, are assigned the big streaming pushes still not paying off the way the company would like to see, and it looks like a higher Wall Street open this morning from Bloomberg, Genus Cervetti on News Radio seven hundred WLW.
Speaker 2: Alrighty eight forty four. We do it every single Monday. We call it Mondays with Marty. Most of the time. He's joining us from his home right here in Cincinnati, every now and again from Salisbury, North Carolina. But today he is joining us, as they say, from across the pond. How is everything in London?
Speaker 5: Everything in London is spectacular, As I've often said, it's my favorite city in Europe. And we've had a very enjoyable time here in and up the locales around the United Kingdom.
Speaker 2: But you are just getting started on this trip that began in New York, on to London, and then.
Speaker 5: And we leave tomorrow morning and fly out to Barcelona, spend two nights there, and then get on a cruise ship and sail the Mediterranean, going into Lisbon, Portugal, and then we go on to Morocco before coming home.
Speaker 2: I hear that Lisbon might be one of the top five cities in the world.
Speaker 1: Have you ever been there.
Speaker 5: I've not been there, but as I said to some folks this morning here, I've never had a negative reaction to traveling Intusdain or to Portugal, but Portugal's kind of interest. I'm told that in the last decade it is the city with the largest number of retired Americans of any other country in Europe. Obviously, it has a lot to do with the prices, which are relatively low compared to other countries. That probably will change as more and more Americans come over there to retire. But I'm looking forward to going to both of them because of the great reputation that people have had from traveling in there.
Speaker 2: Let's tire Ribbon and we'll talk, obviously through the off season about what the Reds decide to do or not do. But you know, it's one of those where it's a glass half empty, glass half full.
Speaker 1: Kind of thing.
Speaker 2: I mean, at the end of the day, they were a five hundred team tea basically when all of a sudden done they won in Milwaukee at the end of the year to get in. We know about the Mets collapsing. You add all those things up, the bottom line is they made the playoffs. It was over in two quick games. How would you, at the end of the day view this twenty twenty five Reds season.
Speaker 5: Well, I think they made strides in certain areas Tom and I think they obviously continued to have problems that so far they've not been able to address, most notably the fact that their offense is brutal, and in order for them to take another step forward, they've got to improve the offense. And how they do that, I had no idea, but there has to be a certain commitment on the part of everybody there, ownership and baseball operations that we have to go out and get a guy who has a reputation for hitting balls out the ballpark and also driving in runs. It's easy to overlook the fact that it's a very young team, even though they quote young players have in a large part have had two or two or two plus years of experience in the major leagues. I don't think this team has to do a whole lot in order to improve itself. I think they're pitching a solid I think that when they traded for the kid from Key Brian Hayes from Pittsburgh, they've solidified to a great extent their defensive play on the infield. Their outfield is still somewhat shaky, but I really believe that what they have to do this winter is far, far far from having wholesale changes to cover some deficits all over the ball club. I think they're in pretty good shape now, but now you find out whether or not they're willing to make a commitment get a guy in here that can do what I was talking about.
Speaker 2: Well, I have made the comment, You've heard me make it, and I'll say it again right now as we sit here in October. That another thing that is going to be an issue for this team, and it has been for the last three or four years, the inability of their starting pitchers, primarily Lodolo and Hunter Green, of not being able to pitch barely one hundred and fifty innings in a season, and generally the you know, pretty much thinking around baseball circles is you don't ask a guy to pitch more than ten to fifteen percent more innings than he did the year prior. Hunter Green spent two months on the disabled list. Nick Lodolo finally got to one hundred and fifty innings in a season, making twenty eight starts. We'll see how that goes. But I want to ask you about two topics in particular. Number one, do you think the Reds should move positions for Elie de la Cruz.
Speaker 5: I'm no question whatsoever they should. I mean, I think everybody has seen enough of his play at shortstop, and somebody commented me, well, go back and look at Barry Lark and he had twenty eight errors first, Yes he did, and then he made vast improvements from that point on. This kid has not made vast improvements defensively a shortstop, and I think he hurts them more than he helps them. And I said two years ago that they should move him to the outfield, and they have made a very strong commitment to him playing the position. He has played exclusively since coming up out of the system. But I think they hopefully have come to the realization that we have to do something about the position. Thank god, he has the kind of ability with speed in his arm and everything that goes into picking him a special player that he can go to the outfield and not have a problem at all. We've seen Martee do it. He had mistakes out there in right field this season, understood because he never played there before, as as de la Cruze. But he can learn, and I think they need to make that change sometime during the offseason. If it sends him to what's going on down in Arizona right now with young aspiring major leaguers, then they have to start from day one in spring training.
Speaker 2: Well, you know, I always find it so interesting in that the stars of teams, and frequently will the field manager or the baseball operations people, they're hesitant to go to a guy like that who's more quote unquote established. And the example here you just referenced it. They had no problems at all going to Marte and saying, hey, look, you're moving into the outfield. But a lot of teams are hesitant to do that with a guy who's quote unquote established. I mean, you and I remember were old enough to remember Robin Yeut, great shortstop, right, and he moves to center field, he wins the MVP. We've seen it with guys like Sean Dunstan, we see it.
Speaker 1: With Pete Rose.
Speaker 2: I mean, he changed seemingly every other year over the course of his career. Then we get to Matt McLean And I know you're a big Matt McClean fan, And in my recent conversation with Nick Crawl, he believe eves that his shoulder will be fully healthy next year and he'll come back and play. And boy, the Reds better hope he does, because if you're gonna take a very light hitting third baseman who's very good on defense, you better make up for it somewhere else. And a big chunk of that might fall on the shoulders of Matt McClain.
Speaker 5: Well, I don't disagree with that at all. I mean, I've been a number one proponent of this young man's abilities. I think defensively he's great at second base, but offensively, it's just a confounding situation when you watch him take great pitches to hit and then he will lunge at breaking balls in the dirt. I'm surprised they ever throw him a strike because he has that reputation. Now you pitch him down on the way, he's going to swing at that ball, and the majority of those pitchers are not in the strike zone. I think it's going to be a very important spring training for him next spring. But at the same time, I'm not willing to give up on him because I do think he's got great ability. And going back to your previous question, if they move bay La Cruise to the outfield, I think the most likely prospect to take that position on will be Matt mcclens. Yeah, he's proven in the past he's an outstanding defensive shortstop. He's got the arm to play there. I don't think they're willing to give up on him, and I'd be a little bit concerned about giving up on him now. Now what happens If we see the same thing in the spring, and if they go with it long enough into the early season, then admittedly they've got real problem. But they have to have a backup plan that if they make that move and keep them and put him back at second or move him to short, if they move the other guy to the outfield, they've got to keep that backup playing quiet because they don't want to put any undue pressure on him. He knows he's got to get it done or else he's going to be replaced.
Speaker 2: All right, let me ask you before I let you go. At the end of the day, who wins a National League.
Speaker 5: I think the Dodgers will, okay, I really do you know? And and I know how people feel about that. And I'm prejudiced because I you know, if you're a Red Skuy as long as I've been, you're not a Dodger fan. I'm a big fan of Dave Roberts, and I say that unabashedly. I think he's a fine manager. I think he's a class act. If any I can't imagine anybody beating them in Milwaukee. I think will run out of chances when if they get as far to play the Dodgers in the National League Pendant Series, But I think they'll win.
Speaker 1: It, okay. And how about in the American League.
Speaker 5: Hell, I don't know the way Toronto's they're changing a lot of people's opinions. This is what they've done against the Yankees in the first two games. I don't know, It's amazing, how impressive they have been in that series, So I really I think it's a toss up in the American leg it may end up being Toronto. If it is, it will be a pick that nobody ever dreams would come to that.
Speaker 1: No, you're right, all right, we'll have a great trip.
Speaker 2: Be careful, God speed ahead, and we'll catch up with you next Monday.
Speaker 1: Please be careful.
Speaker 5: We love you.
Speaker 1: I love you too. We'll talk to you later, all right.
Speaker 2: Eight fifty five Mondays with Marty wrapping up that and every day is a day with Chuck Ingram Chuck, what's happening at eight fifty five A my friend.
Speaker 6: Looks like we're pretty much wrapping up brushower on the highways too. Just a couple of heavy spots left from the UC Health Traumphy Center Mammograms Saved Lives called five one three five eight four pink to schedule your annual mammogram with UCA Hell's expert team. That's five one, three, five eight four pink. Southbound seventy five continues to run just over a five minute delay in and out of Lachlan. Northbound seventy five clear through the cut, A little bit of a slowdown inbound seventy four thanks to the angs and above Montana on the left shoulder. Chuck Ingram News Radio seven hundred WLW.
Speaker 2: Nine First Warning four cast is it's nice out there right now, fifty nine degrees. We're getting up to eighty three and there is a chance of a storm and or rain today Tonight, rain likely down to sixty two Sunday Tomorrow I have eighty three and then some clouds rolling tomorrow night, producing rain tomorrow night and Wednesday morning, but then clearing out and we are looking at awesome weather, lots of sunshine and cooler temperatures beginning on Thursday, A fifty six on seven hundred WLW Cincinnati