Speaker 1: Do you want to be an American.
Speaker 2: Cloni on seven hunder high profile and violent crimes lead the news. So well, why, well, your's neglect underfunding police law enforcement generally ignoring the problem while focusing more on programs and promises. And if you promise not to go and kill someone, we will let you out of jail. Here, So you had a gun, you're doing violent, Just go ahead, but you're gonna come back. You're gonna get a job, right, report your probation officer, Sure you are.
Speaker 3: So.
Speaker 2: As such, the mayor is feeling the heat and with the election coming up, of course, now we're on the death watch for the career of police Chief Terry Thiji. The question, though, is how much is this on her? As she has now been summoned back from Denver to conference. Dan Hill's a former FOP, long time i f WEP president, now in private practice with Front Light Advisors. He's a law enforcement consultant. Dan, Welcome, How are.
Speaker 3: You, Ahlony? I'm doing great?
Speaker 4: Always yeah, thank you.
Speaker 2: So she's in Denver for a conference and city manager share Along tells her to return immediately to addressed departmental matters. When I hear that, okay, So what has happened in the last forty eight to seventy two hours that would warrant her being plucked from a conference in Denver to fly back to Cincinnati because there's some huge departmental matter what's going on. Of course someone's going to go, well, she's probably getting fired.
Speaker 3: You know.
Speaker 4: First of all, let's start with that.
Speaker 2: Why would you do that now instead of like right after the city bird shooting or any of this other stuff. You're going to sacrifice her, which we'll get into a second. Why are in the middle, Okay, we need to do this right, and we're going to pull you out of a conference and bring you back and fire you. Well, why is that happening right now?
Speaker 3: Well, I mean the easy answer is the election. You know, this is far too political in some ways, and that's the problem that the office of police chief has become political. So we'd have to almost go way back in the rewind to issue five, where they changed the way that the police chief answers the city hall, the way he selected for he or she is selected.
Speaker 2: Talking about that, explain issue five when that was in the in the history that because I know that I'm throwing around for a while, I mean as best we can, but how long ago that was and what that means and how that led us to know?
Speaker 3: Boy I was, I was Tom Shreker was the last chief that was selected in the old way. So we're talking about sometime in the nineties. I guess kind of kind of hard for me to pick out dates now at my age, But it used to be, well, while the manager still selected the police chief, the police chief came from within the agency, and uh, then you had to have cause, and that's a that's a big legal term to fire somebody. So you know, if if if the police chief's gotten some sort of criminal behavior or you know, sexual harassment or something of that nature, that would be cause, and then the police chief could be fired. But you can't just go. You know, politics is getting a little rough for me. If I may have have and go, you know, I think I'll sacrifice the chief so that that that that's what's changed, is that now the the office of blea chief is very very political. And and this comes to my belief, if you want me to go on with this about where we where we are and how we got there is I think that that Terry Figi is not the problem she's a symptom of the problem. I think she was given the job not for DEI reasons per se, because I think Terry's smart lady. I think she was given for good ol boy reasons. I think she agreed to sing or dance to the tune of whatever the city manager went under the dance do. And and so now we're talking about what's going on at city hall, and and got her jobs on Frithier the other day. And I could tell you care you care about how much, uh you know, crime is hurting the city of Cincinnati and its reputation and everything. And you you would have to ask yourself, since you care, why does a city that cares about crime hirely like Irish Rolly. It just doesn't make any sense. Right. So, if I'm a perspective police chief, which I'm not, and you're asking me, hey, you want to come here to my city of Cincinnati and be the police chief, I would sit there and take a look at the look at everything that's there to be dealt with, and I would I would see, I would see Irish Roley, and I'd go, well, you got to get rid of her first, And oh no, no, she's an important part of playing stuff. And that's why I go, eh.
Speaker 4: I'm out, I'm out.
Speaker 2: Well, I mean I heard through the same cops that you talk to too, that when we're bringing the troopers in, I guess, and this is in the last couple of weeks, a few weeks, that she was the one telling them what they can and can't do when they enact to stop or question a subject in the course of doing their duty as a police swarm law enforcement officer under Ohio law. I'm like, why am I having a consultant hundred thousand dollar a year quote unquote consultant tell me how I'm supposed to handle and address sub suspects or subjects and people I may contact with in the course of my job.
Speaker 4: That's not in the scope of her duties.
Speaker 2: I mean, if you want to advise the mayor's officer, the city manager, share along on you know, community matters and the like. You know, everyone deserves a seat at the table. It's it's you know, it's a public enterprise. Sure, but it seems like iris Reli has way too much power for someone in her position or someone in her from as someone.
Speaker 4: Involved in what she is. That that's the problem.
Speaker 2: If I'm looking at that as a job going if I'm here and that I'm like, hell, no, i ain't come to Cincinnati because I'm not gonna have.
Speaker 3: Any power, of course not. And that's the thing is what is what is her position is that it's something related to the Claire Verve. And let me tell you that I had to deal with the clavorative, which is pages and pages of pages of saying that we're going to communicate better and we're going to be transparent. Okay, I could cover I could cover the whole collaborative in those two words. We're going to be more transparent and and we're going to collaborate more with the community and communicate and communicate better with me. That's it, that's all, That's all it is. And then they're paying this lady one hundred thousand dollars and that's not what she does. She doesn't communicate better. On my eyes, she's not helping us be transparent. She goes out and she gets in the way of police officers doing their work. And it seems to me this is what their belief is, is that that she somehow has the a riot button and if we don't make iris happy, she can punch a riot button. I don't believe that she has that power. I think they think she has that power, and that's why they go around at a Pieter and let her hire her son and all that stuff. But I'll also bring up the CCIA to sistant complain authority. They do nothing but handicap the cops with ridiculous complaints, and the and the way that they deal with them, and the amount of money they throw. I'm sure they throw millions at that, all the investigators and everything they have. And I use the word and saying too much, but imagine the insanity. You're fighting the Germans, right, it's World War two. You're fighting the Germans. But we have an office out of our government that helps the Germans. I mean, that's we're trying to fight crime. And then yet we have we have folks that go out there and try to handicap the police. It's like trying to handicap the navy or the army or anything else during the time of war. Just doesn't make any sense, because we we do. We have a crisis out there, and the crisis is phony. Not to not to get too big picture, but it's it's it's it's spiritual, it's cultural, it's all sorts of things that lead to all this crime and all this trouble that we're having with the youth. And look, the problems at the state level, we don't have enough prisons. The problems huge at the county level because we have a bunch of judges that are just absolutely woke in saying that wants to give proper bail, re bonds and stuff. Yeah, that's if I have to throw a dart at the biggest problem, and.
Speaker 2: Dan hits there. Unaccountable is the problem. So you know, we know that the Tim Holloway and the Police Chiefs Association of Hamlin County, all the little villages and hamlets, and they're trying to have these summits where they're getting all the stakeholders involved, from citizens, from cops to lawyers. And here's a order that judges can't show up to this because it's against some sort of judicial ethic. But at the same time, when it comes time to vote, they're in the community telling people how to vote and meeting with constituents about how judges and how their office works. So it seems like a huge conflict and they're just cherry picking what they want and what not to do. And you know, again, how many times have we had like this guy? The guy the latest example, And I'm sadly we'll probably have another one, hopefully not tonight on Thursday night football, Dan Hills.
Speaker 4: Can you imagine?
Speaker 2: Yeah, here's the shot of the Cincinnati skyline. Oh my god, here's the genius of water Statute, Fountain Square. Never mind those swat officers with assault weapons and helmets and tactical gear. Never mind them. But look at the it seems like a nice city. I want to visit. Well, the cops standing around fountains where with guns to keep people from shooting each other. At City Bird, there's a guy twenty four years old. And I said, the minute it happened, I guarantee you that this guy's got a jacket, he's got something on him, he has a history, and he is prohibited because he has a prior felony from having a gun. And I said, you could bet the house on that happening. And sure enough turns out the guy the guy they're looking for. It fits that description that this guy is not allowed by law as they convict of having a convicted record rather felony record.
Speaker 4: That shouldn't have a gun on him.
Speaker 2: And that's the problem, right is I had a lawmaker and yesterday, I don't know if you heard a lot of council person was talking about how we need to get tougher gun laws.
Speaker 4: I said, the problem, that's not the problem.
Speaker 2: The problem is you got guys out there running around with guns shooting each other who shouldn't have them. Throw them behind bart, put them in prison. If you are prohibited from him of a gun in your phone, or you cut your ankle monitor off. We don't take it seriously enough, and that just encourages more of that behavior.
Speaker 3: Bunny, we have the gun lall. I heard you saying that. I heard the rant. I think he might have stole from my many years as if of be president, because I was saying it over and over again. We have weapons under disability. If we truly enforce the weapons under disability are are violence as far as shootings and stuff with plummet There's just no doubt about it. Every time we come across a dirt ball with a gun that has the convictions that shouldn't be allowed to carry a gun. If he went away for the max time for allowed for weapons under disability. It wouldn't turn around overnight, but you could see for without a doubt that that effect would start to change because look, everybody in the community would start to talk like, man, you know, do you know how he's doing. He's doing hard time because he had a gun, because he had previous pelonies. Next thing, you know, people aren't carrying guns as much and in that atmosphere, and if they don't have a gun just because just because all of a sudden they get angry, if they if they're of a mindset that they get angry at somebody at the city bird, they're not going to crack off around at him. You know, I carry a gun because I'm still a police end of this day, but plenty if I get man at you at the city bird, I'm not going to crack off around.
Speaker 2: In ninety nine plus percent percent of the population thinks the way we do, Dan Hills. It's the size of sociopaths out there. It's the pre pill around the path to be career criminals. Our career criminals that are that are executing this kind of behavior and the other ament of guns is the reason why people are getting guns is because people are coming to Cincinnati. They're scared to death, and then there's all these signs you can't bring your gun into places, so they put it in their car. And young people especially know that that's happening. And so that's why we're having forty seven percent increase in property crimes specific to vehicle breaks in. It's a self fulfilling prophecy. We have guns and we bring them to protect ourselves. They break in the car, steal the guns, and it causes more crime. That causes to carry it more often.
Speaker 3: So back to the you know you want me all to talk about the Chief CG. Is the Chief Cg's fault that we're having this explosion of the sun. No, it's not. Am I a huge fan of her, No, I'm not. I don't. I don't think that she's maybe the best spokesperson out there and all that stuff. She's a smart lady, she's competent lady, nice lady from all I can tell. But she's again, she's a symptom of the disease. She agreed to come here and play in the same sandbox as Irish. Rely, if they ask Scott Sloane or Dan Hills to be the police chief, I think one of my first demands, because I would I would have some demands, is, look, you got to get rid of her, and you got to tone down the CCA by like, you know, eighty five percent or something so that my copperce can go out there and do their job. If not, what's the purpose of hiring me, is your police chief, because because you know, I have things I want to do and to help make things a little bit better. But again, you know, of all the things we talked about her, I covered that's going on in this world that comes all the way down to our little bird here Cincinnati. The one I can point to the easiest to say, the county judges. You know, they're they're just terrible when they're not sentencing people, uh for for that most important crime weapons under disability that could help prevent these shootings. But even if they do start sentence them, I think we're running on running into problem because there are enough room in the inn.
Speaker 4: Yeah, that's the puny problem.
Speaker 3: At the state level. So it's a multi layered problem. And look, this is this is politics that the mayor. The mayor is threatening this or doing this, the managers doing this because they're starting to feel a little bit of heat from from Corey Bowman. Who who would have thought that they're republishing mayor in this day and age, heat or candidate could could you know, even even make them sweat. But that's where we're at now. I think there's a good sweat, good.
Speaker 2: Good I mean, that's you know I and sadly I you know, we need some sort of ground. So my fear is this, if Aftab winds up winning re election, and if I were to bet, i'd bet he probably wins at this point, despite the valiant effort by Corey Bowman and a lot of the great selling points that he's made.
Speaker 4: It's just it's so deeply blue.
Speaker 3: Uh.
Speaker 2: People complain about the legislature in Ohio being controlled by Republicans. You can't break that stranglehold, and look what they're doing. Well, the republic or the Democrats in Hamlin County are doing the same damn thing. So if you want more of the same, just keep electing the same people as the message there. But nonetheless, I just what my fear is this, this is after the election, if AFTAB wins re election, we just go back to the way things work.
Speaker 3: Well, you could almost bet on it. I mean, if they have if they have that line that down at the casino, you know, I mean, you're gonna be elbowing each other out of the way to bet that. Right.
Speaker 4: Yeah, we'll just forget about this.
Speaker 3: Yeah, with Terry or without Terry, I'm gonna put I'm gonna put my I'm going to put my chips on. Things will go back to the way they will.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I look at it, since that issue five passed two you think about the chiefs, right, and we had who was it Blackwell? Chief Jeffrey Blackwell was fired and what's about ten years ago? And then we had James Craig, who is here and then off to Detroit in less than I think eighteen months or two years ago.
Speaker 4: We we have Craig first just gotch.
Speaker 3: And and Craig Isaac was not what they were looking for, right, Craig Craig was not a woke lefty. He came in here and and the cops loved him because he did back the cops, and and and because they he was their first one they brought in. And because he was black, they weren't going to send him pack. And he left himself because he had the opportunity to go back to his childhood home at Detroit and and be the chief. So he left. But yeah, I would like to I'd like to have Chief Craig back right now with the holy stuff we got.
Speaker 2: We got Blackwell, who was you know, hostile work environment, didn't talk to the cave.
Speaker 4: It was a clown. He got out of here.
Speaker 3: Uh.
Speaker 4: And so now we've got this history.
Speaker 2: We had the la Chief Isaac in for a while before he retired, Uh what about three years ago? And the beat goes on and so to bring in full circle, Dan Hills, this is like Zach Taylor firing lou Ana Roumo and that guess what, The Bengals are still losing.
Speaker 3: Yes they are. That's that's good, nilogy. I I don't see anything.
Speaker 4: Is How's how the Colts doing with lou Ana Uma? Pretty good?
Speaker 3: Five five and one?
Speaker 4: Think about that?
Speaker 3: So is it how about that?
Speaker 2: Is it the head coach or is it the assistant? Is that the organization? Is it the ownership? Well, it's definitely, there's no question about that.
Speaker 3: Gain Ye. Back to our discussion. It's it's city Hall. It's their woke idea of doing things. It's they're lying in bed with the types of people like Irish Roly. So any city that does that is not going to get a police chief and allow him to uh, you know, run his or her department and and and the way they want to. Because that was when they when they were bringing Terry on, they were they were telling her she had to she had to play in the sandbox with Irish Roly, at which time, if I was the police chief, I say, now, there's no way that doesn't that that doesn't benefit my people, doesn't make my people feel any more secure and them going out and doing their work. If we're hiring somebody like this, yes, that makes sense. It's a done deal. She's getting fired, right, I don't know. I don't have the connections and stuff. I'm not actively involved in it like I used to be. That if we're going back to that casino again, I would say sure. I would say that they've they've made it hard for her to continue.
Speaker 4: They've also handled this horrible.
Speaker 2: I mean the fact they call her back from Denver to say, yeah, we've got a pressing issue, Well, what's the pressing issue? Isn't like you know, I wish we could have done with Aftab because as I as I recall, he went on vacation after the brawl at the end of July, and because he deserved his son and his five year old deserved. I mean, wait a minute, hold on just a second. What's what's wrong with that picture?
Speaker 4: Anyway? I know you got to go.
Speaker 2: He's Dan Horde, former FOP president of the Queen City Lodge and now in private practice, the private citizen.
Speaker 3: Dan Hill. Dan Horde.
Speaker 2: Oh, I've got Dan hard I'm sorry. I apologize. I got to I got all the Dans on today. I don't know what's got Dan Hills, Dan Horde. All right, well, Danny, all the best Dan Hills with Frontline Advisors. Thanks again, brother, you take care. Yeah, I'm thinking of football. I got Dan Hills, I got Dan Hord. I got some surrounded by Dan's around here. I don't know what's going on, Dan Horde. A little bit later in the show eleven oh seven, we'll talk Thursday night football here in Cincinnati. I'm the home of the best Bengals covered seven hundred WLW Cincinnati Scott's Loan.
Speaker 4: Show seven hundred W l W.
Speaker 2: Dan Hills minutes ago with Frontline Advisors, former FOP president and the chief Thiji is waiting her day. It's like waiting to go to the executioner in a way, in a sad way for Chief Thigi, as he said, you know, she's done some good things and some things that were like questionable. Her interaction with the beat cops could have been better, could have been worse. But she is not the problem. The problem is the system. The problem is the head, The problem is the mayor, The problem is the city manager. The problem is having interlopers like Iris Rawley and others too involved with the process of law enforcement. And he mentioned Issue five, which changed the dynamic of police chiefs not only are hired, but also who they are held accountable to. And you know, when you have Chief Fiji or anyone for that matter, she is dancing to the tune of the piper. Af tabs the piper. She dances the tune. If you want the job, you got to dance the tune. And what's happening, I think is that she's simply going to fall on the sword.
Speaker 3: Here.
Speaker 2: One may ask as to why would she be called back here on this Thursday morning from Denver to Cincinnati if they're just to tell her everything's okay. You know, when the city when and I will say this, you know, as much as people beat up the media, which has a whole other topic entirely is I agree and disse I disagree with that for different reasons as far as the bias and stuff goes here locally, and it's kind of silly, but nonetheless, someone found out about this and the word got out. The city manager's office is like, well, you know, someone leaked it out, and now we've got to answer it. And they come back and say, well, we've got some issues in the city. She has to address that. It's I mean, there's nothing urgent going on. What's changed. She has to immediately address departmental matters, is what Sherlong says, Well, why didn't she address apartment these issues right after what just happened. The latest issue on Fountain Square involving the shooting at City Bird, Well it should have been done right there. But now we're dragging this thing because someone's looking for political cover. You got an election coming up, Aftabs feeling the heat. Therefore, sure Long has got to do something. And the end result is, I know, we'll fire the chief and make it look like it's her fault, when in fact, I don't know, I don't think the voters are that stupid. I think that you realize it's the administration and this is much like firing lu An Arumo after the Bengals had dismal seasons and starts and we got to do something, and so we fire the coordinator who goes by the way, goes to Indianapolis and they look like a playoff team. Meanwhile the Bengals are languishing. We'll find out tonight if they can turn that around. But I think it's a I think it's a fair comparison. And I know a lot is made about community activist Irish Roller. She's making over one hundred thousand dollars a year as a consultant. I've heard stories about her sitting in with police officers or coming to town troopers who are here from the state of Ohio and others and dictating the terms of how they will interact with people. We see with law enforcement officers. Now know all law enforcement officers are trained by they got to be a pot of certified. There's certain law officers go through strict training. There's Ohio Revised codeal and there's a lot of things they learned. I don't know sitting and listen some of the community tell them how they're going to handle their interaction with a subject or a suspect. I look at that and go, not quite sure. That's something you just couldn't print on a piece of paper and handle them. But to be lectured by Iris Rawley if your cop. I don't think that's going to sit well with most rank and file members of law enforcement, regardless if they're CPDU officers, SWAD officers, or highway patrol officers. But nonetheless that those are the terms in which we have engaged here politically in Hamlin County. I do think it's fair for me because I think I'm the only voice on this station that is criticized. I think rightly so the problems with a Republican controlled legislation in Columbus, and I often catch arrows as a result of that them some sort of closet liberal or something. Now I'm just tired of bs. I'm tired of people lying to me. I don't care what if you're blue or red, or black, or white, or male or female. Quit lying to me. Quit tell me this is delicious, when in turn it's poison, and I think it's fair. Then to turn around that criticism towards Hamlin County in the city of Cincinnati and say enough, damn it, it just doesn't work. I had my friend Anna all Beyond, and we disagreed about what needs to be done with these issues.
Speaker 4: She brought up that we need more gun laws.
Speaker 2: If we just had gun laws, none of this would be happening, to which I counter, that's bs. We have gun laws, they're just not being enforced. One of the most pre eminent gun laws we have, of course, is something called weapons under disability, which you often see on the docket and felony cases, meaning that if you have a felony record, it prohibits you. It precludes you from having a firearm, from looking, touching, handling, owning, possessing, controlling, or even thinking about a firearm.
Speaker 4: Can't do it.
Speaker 2: And you know, we're learning more about this individual who fired the bullets through the window a city bird, and I said, I would bet the house that this guy has priors to prohibit him from having a weapon. And guess what, here we go again. Should Ryan Hitton have been running around with the gun in his hand, No, he's he's prohibited from having that weapon. The act of stealing a car and driving around. It would prohibit him from having a weapon, let alone age and everything else. So and what else he was jammed up in. And also, you could be a law abiding citizen and defend your carry a gun even if you are eighteen. But at the same time, if you're in the act of a crime, an officer tells you to do something, you're supposed to drop the gun. Not only did not drop, but he picked it up and ran towards our round officers. He set all those circumstances up that led to his death. Ryan Hitton dead. But we look at that as well. If he would how's he getting the gun. He's getting the gun in his hand. He shouldn't. Yeah, he's under disciplined. He shouldn't have the gun. Well, the gun. There's too many guns out there, I would say. In Cincinnati, we saw, you know, the community gun thing sound straw purchasers in the past and like. And the new problem is the fact that people who live, work, and reside in Cincinnati often don't feel safe and they feel the need because maybe it's social media, maybe it's also well, these real things that are happening from time to time and too often may I add in our city that scare the hell out of people. You know, we heard testimony yesterday or maybe the day before from city council and law and public safety, which is why I had an on and she heard the testimony going on and on and on from people who said, look, I own property in Cincinnati, I own rental property. I have people that are afraid to rent my property, my income, the investment that I made in the city that you wanted me to do. You encourage me to buy properties, Say come to Cincinnati. Look at all the cool stuff we have. We have a vibrant towndown and be part of it. Isn't this great? Be part of the vibe? Awesome? And then we didn't do a damn thing about stopping the criminal element or pretending to stop the criminal and we just let them run rampant because of feelings. And so now I'm stuck with this property that I can't rent out because people won't come downtown because they're afraid. And for those who say, well, you know, it's just the ignorant people. Since these largely safe, look me personally, I'll go I'll go downtown. There's certain neighborhoods and times I won't go out, but I will. But that's not everybody. So the fact you think downtown's perfectly safe and this is just a bunch of you know, made up stuff to talk about here on this radio station, I think you're full of it.
Speaker 4: I think you're I think that's true at all.
Speaker 2: If you have people who say, look, I can't rent, or I have a tenant that's scared.
Speaker 4: What should I do?
Speaker 2: Or you have to say, hey, listen, I live in a neighborhood, I have friends, and now they're moving out because of this and they're done with it. What if we spent all this time and effort in development and learning businesses in and tax incentives and street cars and all that other stuff that we've done, What the hell is the point of that if it's come down to this, And so saying that, you know, we just we know people coming downtown now they're scared to death, and so now they feel the need to have to carry a gun with them in case they may need it because I don't know, maybe they're caught up in what happened at City Bird, or they're driving down the street and there's two idiots shooting each other. They're shooting at me, is he's shooting at the other guy in the middle of traffic and rush hour. And my job is to come home to my family. My job is to live another day. So I'm going to carry that with me. Now, I can't take it to my place of work. I can't take it here, I can't take it there, I can't take it to the Bengals game to I can't do any of that stuff. So I leave at my car. And now young people know that they break in the cars are still guns. That's what Ryan Hint was doing. And that's all because of these failed policies that, wow, we just need more laws. No, we don't need more laws. We need judges that are going to do the hard work and enforce the laws that already on the books. That if you get caught up and you're not allowed to have because of disability a weapon and you're caught with it, we're going to put you behind bars for a long time. Now that mean we need more prisons, And maybe that means we know the people who aren't rising the level of those crimes, maybe we need to make space with them. That's certainly it's been discussed. It's been done. It's a possibility. But guess what, it's got to stop with people who pick up guns and carry them around and use them to settle arguments. We cannot have that at all. That sort of like Terry C. Jow will fall on one hundred percent. And so I disagree that it's all this as well, But I think you also have to look at a relative to downtown and relative to Cincinnati, the mindset that's permeating our leadership and the administration when it comes to who's making the decisions. And you know, Aftab got elected because he's a handsome, decent looking, well spoken Asian man. I guess, multiple descents whatever. I mean, that's what we're looking for in the progressive community. Like, Okay, he's a guy. He was in charge of license plates one day and now he'sa all of a sudden, Okay, now he's the next mayor of the city, says this is going to be great. Everything's good, everything feels good. And it's not just it started before him. But the problem with progressive policies are they're too soft on crime. And that is one thing Democrats nationwide cannot get away from. And that's what is making Trump Trump right now. If you if you don't like Trump, well then you got to look at your own policies and how we the Democrats are on that, and how progressive policies are hurting urban cities. You know, we have ice, we have National Guard. He's exploiting that, certainly for political reasons to make a point. But the truth still remains is these are largely dangerous areas to be in and Cincinnati is fast becoming. If we're not there already one of those areas, what does it say that here we are?
Speaker 4: We have Thursday night football in Cincinnati.
Speaker 2: We got the Steelers in town, we got people from Pittsburgh, people from Cincinnati, good natured football. Hopefully the Bengals pull this thing off tonight. We'll find out. I've got Dan Hord at eleven oh seven to talk about this. But we're supposed to having a good time, and you know what, how many people are gonna be looking up their shoulder a little bit, and how many people are coming in from Pennsylvania or even local Steeler fans go downtown to the game and go, what the hell these guys doing around? Well, these swat offers are doing around. This is I've been to games before primetime games. In my in Pittsburgh, we don't have cops staying around with automatic weapons on Fountain Square and are gathering places. I mean, we have cops, but don't look like this. And this is again what we got. So I have a eeking suspicion I might be wrong. I think Corey Bowman has made some fine points, but is deep blue as Cincinnati is. I see AFTAB winning again, and I might be wrong. I've been wrong in the past a lot of me when I'm wrong, but I think it's again. It's here's the problems. People are just so used to and wanting folks like this to run things. And my fear is that Okay gets re elected, is all this just going to go way? After November? Do we just go back to going Okay, I got another way, we got reelected. Great, all this stuff we're doing with the new chief in that was just to get elected. And then we go back and we'll have more of these stupid policies. Yeah, we need more gun laws. It's the fault of the Republicans, and we need to get tougher on guns. And meanwhile, we've got judges that just simply let people out and you promised you're not going to do this again.
Speaker 4: We just had a guy do right.
Speaker 3: He was.
Speaker 2: He literally left court and the judge said, here's what you need. Judge Hathaway said, here's what you need to do. You need to report your probation officer. You need to get a job. You did it anyway, not killing people. So if that's the attitude we have relatives to probation and relative to locking people up and incarcerating them because they have a gun under disability, whether it's Sir Ryan Hinton or anyone else, I just have a fear that that those policies are going to wind up the things we're doing right now. Just simply get reelected and once the election's over, the hell with it. Because we've seen this before. We you know, to bring it full circle, point it back at state Republicans. We had initiatives on the ballot for marijuana and pro choice and things like and now the legends goes, Okay, elections over. Guess we're going to undo all we're trying to do that stuff. And that's the will of the people speaking right, They're sixty percent of the people say yes or no to something. I think that's pretty decisive. You ought to bide by their wishes, but we try to find ways to poke holes in that. And is it any different? And I can argue it's far worse what's happening in downtown Cincinnati because it's not gonna be long before innocent people die. You know, we had Patrick Herringer. That was a wake up call for a lot of folks regarding this issue. But you know, some innocent person could have easily gotten shot in the last two gun battles on punt Fountain Square that we're talking about here, and it's only a matter of time before it happens again. And you know, I look at the beatdown in downtown Cincinnati. Why do you think people are so emboldened as that they can do whatever the hell they want when they want. It's because of the failure of leadership at the highest levels in the city. And guess what if we just keep electing the same people or versions of the same people, you get the same thing. I'm a big proponent of divided government. The more divided government is, the less crap like this they can do, whether it's local, state, or federal. On the way, Jason Philibon is here speaking of Ryan hit as Dad. Rodney Hinton Junior was in court and a court appointed psychiatrist examined Rodney Hinton and said, well, there's definitely a component of insanity here. Rodney Hinton Junior, who brutally, deliberately stalked and murdered an innocent chef's deputy by the name of Larry Henderson, is now trying to get out of just punishment. How does that whole thing work with not guilty reason of insanity or in this case, just saying, hey, we're trying to work it down so this guy gets a life and not death. He didn't give that opportunity to Larry Henderson, that's for damn sure. Should he get it, we'll talk to We'll talk to a Jason Phillibaum, attorney at law. Next on the Scot Saline Show on seven hundred W Weldon, do you want to Rodney Hinton Junior is accused of killing Hemlin County Sheriff Deputy Larry Henderson.
Speaker 4: May second.
Speaker 2: He this is the guy who took his car, drove around looking for a deputy to run over, and runs over a deputy Henderson. And all Henderson was doing is working a traffic until operating a light manually. At UC's graduation ceremony a few hours earlier, Hinton and his family got to look at body camera video of his eighteen ye old son Ryan being fatally shot by Cincinnati Palasi. Video we've subsequently seen and said that kid had it coming, running with a gun in his hand, dropping at picking back up, not complying with law enforcement, and Rodney hinting to show the level of sociopath that he and maybe his son was, decided that his son was completely innocent and we're going to have a shooting space as such. By the way, the Hinton family is still trying to file lawsuits and make this a case against CPD and officers and saying that justice was not served in the shooting of the sun even though this kid is running around with a gun, stealing cars and committing violent crimes with impunity. That's not the kind of people we need on the street. And you know that that pervasive attitude that permeates in the community is not trickled up to the mayor's office. But nonetheless, yesterday a court appointed forensic psychologist found Rodney Hinton Junior, the dad, suffering from serious mental illness making him ineligible for the death pedal. The question is is he going to avoid punishment. We're going with the not guilty by reason of an insanity plea And this is just a preliminary by the way, this is a court appointed psychiatrist who was doing this and there's a long way to go and we'll find out if and when Rodney Hinton and will face the death penalty. Jason Philibaum, attorney at law, former prosecutor, and Butler County defense attorney, now joins the show.
Speaker 4: Jason, how you been good morning?
Speaker 3: Doing well? Thank you?
Speaker 2: All right, We've had this discussion before about NGRI. But so the diagnosis for Hinton is bipolar disorder psychosis. A psychologist concluded that mental illnesses impacted impaired him to his ability to exercise rational judgment at the time of his offense. His attorney a very good attorney, and Clyde Bennett argues that hit and didn't understand the wrongfulness of his conduct. But I look at this and go, I know prosecutors are going to look at a second opinion.
Speaker 4: This is very early in the game.
Speaker 2: But when you drive around and you stalk your prey, that tells me that you are of right mind, you know exactly what you're doing. This is a really difficult approach that they're using here, isn't it.
Speaker 3: Yes, I think there's two things to consider.
Speaker 5: The first thing is to consider or whether or not he should be not guilty because of insanity, and that's a very specific definition of whether he knew essentially the wrongfulness of his action. The second question, which is what they were kind of discussing yesterday, is whether he should be executed because of his mental health disorder.
Speaker 3: I mean, the one thing I always.
Speaker 5: Tell jury's and I've always told people, is people that commit crimes aren't mentally normal. I mean that's you know, everyone that essentially commits a violent crime like that has some issue going on.
Speaker 3: The question is is the issue the mental.
Speaker 5: Health so severe that it is prohibited, you.
Speaker 3: Know, to have the state use a death penalty.
Speaker 5: And I think that's what they're looking at right now. And Clyde, he does do a good job in this case. He's essentially attacking it from two different angles. He's saying, my client's not guilty because he's insane, and if you find him to be saying, then you can't put him to death because his mental health is so severe that that's not applicable to him.
Speaker 2: Right the law Jason Philibeum, believe, correct, my wrong, you're the attorney. But are there are four specific mental illnesses that make defendants death penalty and eligible? And so how does the law define significantly impaired to exercise rational judgment which is what's going on here, and the evidentiary standard prosecutors have to the burden they have to overcome to still pursue the death penalty.
Speaker 5: Yeah, the answer to that is probably a good law school class. But in shorts, I think it was House Bill one thirty six that essentially prohibits the death penalty for those that were diagnosed with schizophrenia, I think schizophrenic disorder, bipolar disorder, and delusional disorder. But again, it has to be something that's significant. You know, anyone that's abused drugs usually will have some type of diagnosis with bipolar. But if it's not significant enough to impair and essentially effect their everyday life to the extent that you know, that's that's something I think would be a factual decision that has to be determined.
Speaker 4: Yeah, and so what you're going to what you're.
Speaker 5: Going to have from a preliminary standpoint is one psychologist basically said, yes, it's severe enough that he shouldn't be facing the death penalty. At least that's what we kind of got from the court yesterday. And then the state's going to get a second opinion, which happens all the time, this is not abnormal. And if that doctor says it's not, then I think you're.
Speaker 3: Going to say that.
Speaker 5: The judge is going to say, let the jury decide that, and I'll explain that in a minute. But if the second opinion comes back and says though it's severe, then all of a sudden, you've got two opinions, one from the defense, one from the state, and they both say it's severe.
Speaker 3: Then you're going to have the situation where.
Speaker 5: The state may take the death penalty off the table themselves.
Speaker 4: Yeah.
Speaker 2: Okay, And there's a high bars there should be for an insanity defense, because mental illness alone that doesn't mean legal insanity.
Speaker 4: There's a distinction.
Speaker 2: There's what you're saying, and so many people buy Paul disordered psychosis can distinguish right from wrong. I don't know if i'm the prosecutor, I'm look at this going, well, he knows how to the rational behavior would be. He gets in a vehicle, he operates a motor vehicle, presumably abides by most of the traffic laws. Anyway, on that date, he's looking for a target. He's out there basically stalking, looking for law enforcement officer to kill, maybe even a white law enforcement officer. The statements and what statements he made before during because I guess when they're showing him the video, he just kind of stormed out. The family tried to calm him down. He was just angry. But a lot of people commit crimes when they're angry. Look at the shootings at Fountain Square. That's probably about an anger, street beef stuff like that doesn't mean a mental mental illness or incompetency, you know. And at the time he took off, he struck him and they caught him later. And I think all that adds in the fact that you know, he made some sound decisions and was of the right mind that led up to the death of Ederson. I don't know how a jury wouldn't look at that.
Speaker 5: And those are exactly the points the prosecutor is going to argue if insanity is allowed to pursue, and you know, he has to have a psychologist that also supports the insanity defense. And the one interesting thing about that is we we.
Speaker 3: Can't see what these reports say.
Speaker 5: The judge specifically scolded or warned or whatever. Both parties that they do not want this report being leaked, so we don't know what's in the report.
Speaker 3: We don't know exactly what was said.
Speaker 5: We can surmise a little bit from the arguments, but at the end of the day, the prosecutor is going to argue, exactly what you just did. This was a calculated This was a planned This was premeditated at least by an hour or two if not, you know, a few minutes. It doesn't have to be like a year long pre meditate. It's he planned it, even if it was in a short plan. So I think all of those arguments are what the state's going to argue that he is. He is guilty for what he did, and insanity does and apply. Now if he's found guilty, then in a death penalty phase, you then have a sentencing phase. It's this completely separate hearing. So jury goes back and just determines is he guilty or not, and if they find him guilty. Then the defense and the state get together again and they present more evidence, and at this point, the state has a burden to prove that the death penalty is applicable in this case. And that's where you get a lot of mitigation from the defense. You know, oh he's a great guy, or oh he has these mental illness or get a bad leg, whatever. And that's where these reports really will come into play, because if they can convince a jury that he has this serious illness that prohibits the death penalty, then the jury won't be able to give the death penalty. And what's interesting is there's three off ramps for Clyde's clients. The first is if both reports come back, maybe the state takes it off or the judge said I'm not going to allow it. What's more likely is you're going to have competing experts and so the judge is going to let the jury decide, and then the jury is going to essentially make their decision if they find the death penalty. Then the third off ramp will be an appellate court who will look at all the evidence and determine and that's where we might see this development. The appellate court. So there's a lot of sort of moving parts, but it really will come down to what this next expert says.
Speaker 4: Gotcha. He is a defense attorney.
Speaker 2: Jason Phillibaum, our legal expert on The Sloan Show talking about Rodney Hitton Junior. I know we got the Terry Thigi stuff. We're talking about that today as well, but this is an important story because he's accused of killing Deputy Larry Henderson. I remember that after his son was out with a gun and got shot by Cincinnati police officers. I showed them the video of the shoot a go was ruled a deemed a good shooting on the part of the police officers because the sun was running around with a gun. Stolen car. Eighteen year old Ryan Hidden was legally shot by Cincinnati police. He loses his mind, apparently and goes and kills for no reason Deputy Larry Henderson as quote unquote revenge, And now they're trying to play the well, he had bipolar disorder and psychosis, and safe to say most people have some mental illness in their life. I mean, everyone thinks they're normal. The rest of the world is fed up, but that's not the case, we're all flawed in some way, shape or form. I think what he did is beyond the effect of psychosis or bipolar disorder. I mean, clearly he knew what he was doing when he murdered Larry Henderson and now is just trying to evade his due punishment in this case. When a court appointed forensic psychologists to testify that he's got these illnesses, Jason, Okay, So he testifies, prosecutors will get a second opinion and make contrabute the first How does the judge sort this all out?
Speaker 5: Well, it's difficult, but at the end of the day, there's some judges that will try to impose their own sort of decision on the case. And we've talked about that. We kind of, you know, want to judge that's going to more interpret the law, not necessarily make the law. So some judges may look at this and say, I'm taking the death penalty off the table. I have enough to do it because this expert says, So, I think what you're going to see more judges do is take a look at it, and if it's a factual issue, I'm going to let the jury decide it. Because that's essentially what our society is based on is let the jury decide, you know, the factual issues.
Speaker 3: Now, if it's clear.
Speaker 5: Cut, then I think the judge has a duty then to take the death penalty off the table. So if every expert says this is so severe that the death penalty shouldn't apply, then I think the judge has a duty to do it. But if you have competing experts. One says he is one says he's got issues, but not to the point that the death penalty should be excluded, then I think most judges are going to say, I'm going to let the jury decide this. That way, you know, there's a fair trial, and jury decides, and then they're selling a pellet court that's going to look at it again and determine whether or not, you know, the judge made the right decision, whether the jury made the right decision, and so on. So I think the best thing to do is let it go through the process. But when a judge sort of takes one side and rips away their their case, I think that's what a lot of a lot of people don't like to see.
Speaker 2: Yeah, Jason Philibon, the idea here is that we know he's guilty. You've got in place to the scene. You've got the smoking gun, you've got the murder, you've got the deliberation, you've got the intent, you got all that stuff. There's no question about it. He's the guy and he did what he did. Uh what Clyde Bennett is trying to do in a send some wiggle room to save this guy's life.
Speaker 4: That's all this is.
Speaker 5: Right, yes, And you know what's interesting is we all get to the issue of the death penalty, like you know what happened with Charlie Kirk and.
Speaker 3: His his assassination.
Speaker 5: At some point, you know, is life in prison worse than the death penalty? But right now, that's not a decision the jury makes. That's not a decision that the judge should make or the attorney should make. That's the decision of society makes. So they look at this case individually. Does the death penalty apply? It does based on the alleged facts, and then the second question is should.
Speaker 3: The defendant get the death penalty?
Speaker 5: And all the Ohio law did was really sort of podify what the Supreme Court has already said. You can't execute the mentally ill, you can't execute minors, You can't execute you know, low IQ individuals. They and then so Ohio took it one step further and said, the mentally ill are.
Speaker 3: These four categories and we're not going to let you do that.
Speaker 5: It still comes down to a factual decision, though, about whether or not this individual meets those criteria, and I think that's what a jury should decide in this case.
Speaker 3: With that said, if a.
Speaker 5: Second opinion comes back and as clear as day that this guy's got some problems, then it's just a matter of you know, life in prison versus not And I think that's a guilty versus not guilty and like you said, that's not really in question. The question is what happens when the jury finds them guilty.
Speaker 2: In this case, does does does intent override mental illness? In that the prosecutors claim to hit and intentionally drove in to Henderson.
Speaker 4: I think that's clear that he did.
Speaker 2: But does that evidence of intentional, purposeful, wilful conduct undermine the mental illness claim.
Speaker 5: It does to some extent, But you got to think about almost every crime is intent. Imagine the guy that's hopped up on drugs and breaks into a house and then you know, gets into a fight with a homeowner and kills him.
Speaker 3: That was all intentional.
Speaker 5: But in this case, like you emphasize, which is what the prostitutes and emphasized, there was an intent to kill long before you broke into a house and stumbled across the homeowner. You know, that was sort of a secondary intent. This guy was, you know, a leisurely driving down the street looking for an officer to exact his revenge. And I think that's what's going to like you said, probably err on the side of Hey, this person was sane enough to coordinate a plan of attack to kill this individual standing on the side of the road. And that's going to go against whether or not the psychosis is so bad that it should.
Speaker 3: Take the death penalty off the table.
Speaker 2: Now in the hitting case, how common is it for faces way, for what I believe aggravated murder is what the charges to successfully use mental illness as a defense here, it's pretty rare that they succeed.
Speaker 5: Well, it's it's rare in the guilt phase, but it's actually not that. I mean, it's more common in the you know, I've had a death penalty cases where I remember one of my first death penalty cases, the guy stabbed the guy twenty three times, and we argue to the jury that, you know, he should face the death penalty because it was a burglary and a murder, and the jury came back and found life. And the reason was is, you know, the guy had a bad childhood, he had some mental health issues, he was depressed, he was anxious, and they felt that was enough to you know, take off the death penalty and just do life in prison. And I think because it has to be a unanimous decision. So what happens is there's twelve jurors and ten are saying death and two are saying no this. You know, there's two reasons why he should maybe not get death. And then after two days of deliberation, the jury comes back with life because they're thinking, hey, life is worse than death. I mean, I'm if I have to spend the rest of my life in prison.
Speaker 3: That's awful.
Speaker 5: I think that's why that's why defense attorneys will argue, and sometimes very successfully, that mental health is a reason why you should put this person in prison for life instead of death.
Speaker 2: All right, Jason Phillibum. Finally, December first, I believe is the next hearing. It's insignificant one. And the determination there is going to be whether a judge finds hitting death penalty and eligible or eligible if indeed that happens December first, and I'm sure we'll talk around, then can prosecute just appeal that decision for the trial and what's going to happen December first and quickly thereafter.
Speaker 3: That's a good question.
Speaker 5: And you know, typically a prosecutor cannot appeal that decision prior to the trial, so the prosecutors have very limited appellate rights. It's usually after the fact, and if someone has found not guilty, then you know they can have an appeal that argues law, but it's not going to change the verdict. So in this particular case, I think they're probably going to be stuck with whatever the judge decides. I mean, they could appeal after the fact, that it's not going to change this case. So it's really going to come down to what December happens. Is what their expert says. If they're expert, and I would expect their expert comes back and just has a different opinion, then I would expect the judge to say, let us go to trial and decide.
Speaker 3: But again, if it's a.
Speaker 5: Situation where you know, it's clear that he has such a mental health issue that qualifies under this house build then and you may see the prosecutor withdraw.
Speaker 3: It to himself.
Speaker 4: All right.
Speaker 2: He is Jason PHILIBAUMA attorney at law, former a prosecutor, now in private practice, explaining what the path forward is here Rodney Hinton Junior in his insanity play, a court ordered psychologist concluded he's got mental health illness. It's significantly impaired his ability to exercise rational judgment when he decided to murder and stalk and kill Larry Henderson, which I think if I were in a jury, I disagree with that. But we'll find out with the defense or the I guess the prosecutors move now and then that hearing on December first, and all the little sorts out. But he is Jason Philipon. Thanks again for the sharp legal insight as always, buddy, appreciate you.
Speaker 3: I appreciate it.
Speaker 4: Thank you.
Speaker 2: All right, We move on next up on the Scotslan Show on seven hundred W to of course, we start with the news updates about four or five minutes away, and later on we'll get to Dan Hort Thursday Night Football. Something a little lighter for us today, Cincinnati Pittsburgh and all closer than that the state of Terry Thiji as we await the verdict on her career future, whether and you know, again, I don't think it matters if it's Thiji or it's and Chief anybody else for that matter. In a long way to people been around and again it is the piper that's calling the tune, and the piper would be after purefault manager shere along. I don't know, maybe Iris rawling a bunch of others, but Fiji is like kind of like when Zach Taylor fired lou Ana Arrumo last season, and that is it really lou Anaruma because he took his show to Indianapolis and they're five and one?
Speaker 4: So is it really.
Speaker 2: The the person who's subject to the rule or the rulemakers themselves?
Speaker 4: You decide? Seven hundred W Wild up Scott Floan show.
Speaker 2: This is a seven hundred W wild who just ran that story about the represent ofve Dave Taylor Claremont County And I guess someone whose office had a.
Speaker 4: Flag.
Speaker 2: I didn't describe it as on a blog the substack called rooster. When I give a credit there to the person who broke the story, but somebody's a conference calling the background. He's not on American flag and the middle bars, I don't know how to describe this. Middle bars are the red stripes across the flag are altered into fashion to make it look like a swastik in the middle of it, and comparatively to a Nazi swastika, which is kind of angle this is upright.
Speaker 4: I don't know.
Speaker 2: It's just a weird, weird story that's breaking right now. I don't know if it's a photo manipulation, if it's a real thing. But reportedly Capital the police have gone and actually sees the flag itself, and at some point.
Speaker 4: We'll have an update on that investigation.
Speaker 2: I've reached out to Representative Taylor, and I'm sure at some point I'll come on and talk about it as they continue the investigation. So we have that going on this morning as well. Every time one of these.
Speaker 4: Stories break, I go.
Speaker 2: You think, maybe the price, you know, and I hate to say it's gonna come out wrong. There's a lot of the stuff I say oftentimes, but I'll just blurt it out there. You think maybe some of these boosters programs and our towns, villages and hamlets that maybe just got too much money. Not to blame the victim here at all. We have a couple of stories that are percolating right now. Dearborn County. Dearborn got forty six year old president of a civics club in a small town Dearborn County's charge of the felony for stealing over well, it was like one hundred thousand dollars still fifty grand between twenty eighteen and twenty twenty five kind of bled them a little bit, but the amount is actually higher than that. And now he's in hot water because this small town civics club, he was using it to go to casinos and trips and cruises and everything else. In Mason, a forty four year old woman who's convicted for theft I think a Flony five and telecommunications fraud. She's stoled over six thousand dollars from the Mason Football Boosters account to pay personal credit card expenses. She was the head of the Mason Cheer Boosters group, so she had some access to the football Boosters I guess doing them some help. But then they said, well, wait a minute, she's not even with the Football Boosters, and yet she got six thousand dollars. Let's check out the Mason cheer Boosters account and there they found that she's stole almost thirty thousand dollars from that account. Now people hear that, I hear that and go, what is wrong with you? You're stealing from kids, them from civic organizations. But at the same time, the other part of me is, and this is not the first time that's happened. Is this happens rather frequently if you follow it. And the amount of money that's being grifted here is it's not the tenas what's a lot of money? You know, specifically, I look at the Mason one, which is close to home for me, Okay, six thousand from the football, thirty thousand dollars from the cheer Boosters, and loo than some of these accounts, and they're in the hundreds of thousands of dollars. And one I think legitimately may ask is, well, you know, why are you stealing the money? Because I think they probably see it as a victimist crime. They probably go, well, you know, I deserve it because I volunteer. I do the same reason, the same excuse that I there's a psychological term for this and and bother looking that.
Speaker 4: Up, I'll just spurt this.
Speaker 2: But where we're like, you know, pastors will skim money, or they'll involve in, you know, extra marital affairs. All the stuff that they preach against doing, they'll do themselves. There's a sense of entitle there. It's like, well, I work hard, and I'm good in all these other lives and improving other lives and other charities and things I do, and so I'm allowed this deliance, I think is the that's how you describe. It's kind of like for the rest of us would be hey, you know, I ate right and exercised, I did all this stuff that I did. You know what, I deserve to eat an entire pizza. It's kind of like the same mentellity. I think I'm gonna be wrong about that. But in both cases, and specifically, I mean you're sitting there go like well yeah times, or or like there's just stuff I want that I can't afford because the decisions I made, or because of things that happened in my life, or combination of both, which is true for all of us. I mean, hell, I would love to go buy a you know, a Lamborghini, but scotts Loan's not buying a Lamborghini anytime soon Afterdamn sure, I'm gonna continue to driving the old truck.
Speaker 4: The same for.
Speaker 2: You, So we don't go and do those things because I really don't. I can't do any more prison time personally, I can't. I can't be down. I just I've been there, I've done that. I'm not going back to prison. And you probably think the same way, like, yeah, I don't want to be I don't want to throw everything away. I've worked for my entire life. I'm good, So I guess I won't get that Lamborghini or that shiny new thing. Some people can't stay stay out of control those urges. But I also look at it and go, how much money do you actually need for high school and middle school cheerleaders? And I know it's going to come off as victim bliming, and I'm trying not to do that, but for the life of me, I can't figure out why you need that much money. I know there's travel, and there's uniforms and expenses, and really is there or is it just you make that up and go, yeah, well, we got all these things.
Speaker 4: We need to do.
Speaker 2: Do you really need to have home and away uniforms and travel and have fireworks at a touchdown in middle school? And you really don't, No, you don't. But we've gotten away from that in America. And that's probably true for the industry. It's created. As you know, we have kids that are five six seven having personal trainers and coaches.
Speaker 4: Five sixty seven.
Speaker 2: You know, when we're five six seven, we barely keep our shoes on, Like when I coached my son's little league team when he's not very athletic. Admittedly he doesn't like it. We tried, we tried soccer, we tried t ball, we tried all that stuff, and yeah, at that age, you're lucky if you can get them to keep their glove and shoes on, let alone practice the art of a double play.
Speaker 4: It's not happening.
Speaker 2: And so we've got all this invested because when our kids would be successful athletes and we prop them up and athlete of the week and athlete this, and they're going to get a scholarship and probably not, but we hope. So when you know, we put so much into adults, and it doesn't surprise me there's that much money in those accounts, which is allure for some people. But the fact that people steal money's nothing new. The fact that we have one hundreds of thousands of dollars in cheerleading accounts and boost your accounts and stuff like that. I could see that college because that's college money. But middle school, high school, I don't know, man, I don't know. But that's back on all of us, isn't it. That's on me and that's you because that's what we hold up here. This doesn't surprise me. So story up Arkansas this morning. Bear with me a second. This guy is running for sheriff. So what guy's running for sheriff in some place in Arkansas? So what the sheriff is facing second degree murder charges because now check this out, he admitted to He said, yep, I shot the guy. Sixty seven year old man was found with the sheriff the candidate's fourteen year old daughter in the candidate's car right now. I'm sorry. In the guy's name is Michael Fossil, sixty seven years old. The sheriffs named Aaron Spencer, the guy running for sheriff's Aaron Spencer. Spencer admits he shot sixty seven year old Michael Fossler, after finding Fossler with his fourteen year old daughter alone in Fossil's car. At the time, Fossler was out on bail after being arrested on accusations of sex crimes, and not just one, dozens of sex crimes involving the same fourteen year old girl. Now, if your mom, if your dad, what do you think about him running for office? He's looking at forty five years in prison and obviously would become disqualified from being sheriff. Three hundred and sixty thousand people, I said, three hundred and sixty thousand people outside a petition hoping to absolve him of his alleged crimes. And it's small, rural Arkansas. But nonetheless, the polling suggests he would win that election hands down, and he admitted to murdering a man who is facing sexual molestation charges against his daughter. I would vote for Aaron Spencer. I know what the laws are, and I know what the rules are. And maybe it's because I live in Cincinnati, Ohio, and I see what happened. I get it, like there are crimes and then there are crimes, right the Epstein stuff, I get the outrage, I get the anger that people on the right feel about what's going with the Epstein files. Oh my god, yeah, we're gonna expose it to do this. Okay, yeah, there's nothing to see here. Wait, it just went away. It didn't really go away. It's gone back back up there in the election. There's no doubt. So I get that there are crimes are just so egregious and so heinous, and even the suggestion the propriety of it.
Speaker 4: Is a hanging of fence.
Speaker 2: And so when you hear those stories and then you see what's happening to a lesser level, I'm not I wouldn't say lesser. Love of murder's pretty serious too. People shooting eachself. You realize, like, okay, vigil antie time. The dude's a vigilante and he is. The reason he would win that election is because he symbolizes the vigilantie we're looking for. We're looking and for someone to kick come in and kick ass. Remember the year old Enough, the old Charles Bronson movies back in the day, right, Vigilannie, and we've got Reacher today. It's the same thing. When there's times like this where you feel like, wow, the world's out of control. And there's dangerous people running around with impunity and no one's keeping them in check. We always have the Rise of the vigil Annie Hollywood character right and reach her. I mean kind of sort of fits that role, not like Charles Bronson did back and they day, but that's always been popular. We just need a bad ass to whoop some ass, and we just need someone go whoops some ass with the bad guys here off the record, we kind of this guy's like, you know what, he's with my daughter. He's ready charges and he's back with her again and he's on it. You probably should get shot. I think he's doing at that case, it's sixty seven, maybe doing society a favor. Now he may be I know, this is not justice. No, he should come and that's horrible. You can't say that because he should have his day in court and the whole thing. But I mean, come on, man, you don't think this guy did something. He's arrested on dozens of sex crimes against the fourteen year old who hasn't a car again. I mean, maybe you know, I'm sure there's someone going well the fourteen year old, Well, why was she in the car with him? Why aren't you watching your daughter or why was she with? Well, she's making your own decision. I'm sorry, you're fourteen year underage. You can't make those decisions. I kind of get what's going on in Arkansas there, and it's just it's again a reflection of our times. He is somewhat the anti hero. This Aaron Spencer got's commedy interesting story. I'd imagine it's probably gonna get a lot more legs. But you know, he still did, indeed murder a man and you're gonna be sheriff. And I don't know if that enables you to then go do other vigil anti type stuff. But I get where the sentiment is, like I don't know who the other candidate is, but this dude's a badass. Like you know, I'm a father of a girl, so I'm with him. Like that stuff goes on. You gotta do what you gotta do. So I don't know if I do it, but I sure respect the hell out of it. That's for sure. That's for sure that's going on in Arkansas. By the way, Arkansas, we got to get a news update, so coming up in just minutes here. Dan Horde, voice of the Bengal's going to jump in Cincinnati Pittsburgh tonight, Thursday Night Football.
Speaker 4: The eyes of the football world are.
Speaker 2: Honus here in Cincinnati, says city always looks good. Now we'll get that shot out Fountain Square, will get the shot of the Genius of Water Statue. Just disregard the guys with long guns and tactical gear on. Never mind that the city's gonna look nice tonight. Hopefully and hopefully there's no knuckleheads doing stuff that overshadow this event. Hopefully the knuckleheads on the field can figure this out and get a win for the first time since Joe Burrow went down four straight losing sarshow shirt games losing and look to break that where they win tonight against the Pittsburgh See it's gonna be tough and the icy hot Bulls we've been calling it between Joe Flacco and that guy that used to be up north that is now over in the East in Pittsburgh and Aaron Rodgers. Tonight, we'll have the game for you. Our coverage starts at at three o'clock today live broadcast Holy Grailed Banks, Home of the Best Bengals coverage seven hundred W at them.
Speaker 1: Do you want to be an American idiot?
Speaker 4: All right, Thursday night football circus is in town.
Speaker 2: Bengals, Steelers, Cincinnati, trying to stop the four game bleed and get a win. On a short week. It gets a little easier schedule wise with us. You got Jets, you got Bears before the bye, and you got to go there. Of course, back to Pittsburgh, but Ravens Bills really banged up. You think some of those players will get healthy. I not quite sure about QB one mar Jackson, but we'll see. Patriots are rolling. You got Miami, Arizona, Cleveland. So you know, at this point of the season, we're doing the math and trying to get to nine wins. But tonight, tonight feels like you can't let Pittsburgh go to five and one on That is the voice of the Bengals. That would be Dan Horde this morning on seven hundred W WELW and Dan, I was talking about you just days ago, and condolences to you. Jim Kelly Junior, your broadcast partner for many, many years, over two decades, passed away from cancer too early. You read that and went, man, I know he was sick, but I didn't know it was his time. It's condolences to you the Bearcat family. You can't say enough about how good a.
Speaker 4: Guy he was.
Speaker 3: It's heartbreaking, Sloney. Jim Kelly Junior was as good as a deats And I really am having a hard time believing I am not going to be having a light beer with him tomorrow night at a hotel bar in Stillwater, Oklahoma. I joked the other night that Jim Kelly Junior is in the hotel bar Hall of Fame. There's nothing that he liked more than having a beer in his hand, talking football with Bearcat fans, meeting the parents of our players, hanging out at tailgates, and getting fired up for the upcoming game. People love doing that with him. He loved doing it with them. He's just an awesome person and man, I'm going to miss him so much. It came way too quickly. Just a few weeks ago, he had had a surgical procedure and at that point kind of anticipated he would miss one game and then we'ld be back. And unfortunately, cancer sucks and it took his life far too soon.
Speaker 2: It takes so many good people too, And he always struck me as the Joe nusall of the Bearcats.
Speaker 3: It's a good comparison. His father, Jim Senior, started playing for UC in nineteen forty seven and served the athletic department for more than half a century as a player, coach, the administrator. Then Jim came along, played for the Bearcats coach, briefly went on to be a broadcaster for thirty five years. Between him and his dad, there was a Jim Kelly, either senior or junior, affiliated with the university for seventy eight uninterrupted years. It's just an incredible family legacy. The UC Athletic Hall of Fame is named for his dad. Jim Junior is in the Hall of Fame. They're both UC Hall of Famers. So man, he's going to be missed.
Speaker 4: Yeah, sorry for the loss. I mean, it's really is tragic.
Speaker 2: Let's segue to Thursday night football here in Cincinnati. Got Pittsburgh in town, and I mentioned, you know, you can't let Pittsburgh go to five and one. To me, Dan, I think you got to win the night. You got to feel like you can still control things. You got a divisional opponent in town, chance to go to three and four, two and zero in the division you know doesn't need to because you can look at the math and go, yeah, could you get to nine?
Speaker 4: Sure, but boy, it feels like a must win the night to me.
Speaker 3: Well, I know you're a Buffalo Bill's fan, Floony, so you can appreciate the great Marv Levy, one of the great coaches of all time. Marv was asked about him win game once and said the last must win was World War Two. So this doesn't necessarily qualify, but it is a pivotal game for some of the reasons that you described. You don't want Pittsburgh to run away and hide and get the five and one. Having said that, you talked about how the Bengals have an easier schedule coming up. Here's what the Steelers have coming up. The Packers, Colts, Chargers, Bills, Lions. Two of their last few games of the season are against the Ravens when Lamar should be back, So they're probably going to come back to the Pack somewhat. But the climb to catch them gets much easier if you can beat them head to head. Tonight, the Bengals would be two and zero in the division. They would have had to head win against Pittsburgh in their pocket right, must.
Speaker 4: Win, No, but pivotal game absolutely. Yeah. In Pittsburgh's one of those teams.
Speaker 2: Strikes me is, you know, I don't see them as a big playoff threat kind of team, but week to week, you know, it's one of the what kind of team are we getting this week? And they always bring game when they come to Cincinnati.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I think the jury is still out somewhat as to just how good they are. You look at the four wins so far. They do have two wins against teams with winning records to beat the Patriots. Patriots are two games over five hundred. They beat the Vikings. The Vikings are one game over five hundred. But in that Patriots game, New England dominated statistically, but turned it over five times, including four fumbles, and they lost all four. Now, give Pittsburgh credit for forcing some of those turnovers, but there's certainly a luck element there when you fumble it four times and it goes to the other team every time. So Pittsburgh's good. I'm not sure that they have the ceiling of a team that can go a long way in the playoffs, but they get the best quarterback play they've had in a long time out of forty one year old are.
Speaker 2: Now as we know too, health has a long way to go with the two and so last week was the talent two haves. We had the offense and defense. Again, that complimentary game the coach just talk about was absent last week in Green Bay. You know, I want to think that Joe Flacca, like the second half was, Hey, I figured it out.
Speaker 4: It took me a few it took me a half. It took me four or five drives.
Speaker 2: Okay, they got to the fourth drives, like we started to see him figure things out a little bit more and who he can depend on, who's a It takes a while to build chemistry.
Speaker 4: We know that.
Speaker 2: But this week, then if that's the truth, if we've had a strong second half last week offensively, that's got to carry over to tonight. I think he got to start with points on them. But he can't go down ten nothing like he did last week.
Speaker 3: They haven't scored a touchdown in the first half since Joe Burrow's injury, so they've been down by double digits at halftime in each of their last four games. It's really hard to dig out of those holes, particularly when you're playing good teams and I don't think Pittsburgh's great, but they're certainly good, so they can't be way behind again at halftime. I think you're right about Placo. I think he started to feel comfortable in the second half last week. He had a passer rating of one oh seven after halftime, completed seventy percent of his passes. So I think think he should be better over the course of four quarters in this game instead of like really struggling for the first two and then being really good in the last two. And he's certainly used to what he's going to see tonight. I think he's played against Pittsburgh twenty five times, including playoff games. He beat him last year while playing for the Indianapolis Colts, So there's nothing he's going to see tonight that he hasn't seen before.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and I think too, as we saw the defense Wilton the second half. How much of that was personnel in schemes, but how much of that was the fact that they really hung around for the first half of the football game? And does that begin is that the problem the offense is getting off the field too quickly by the fourth quarter, the defense's gassed.
Speaker 4: Is it that simple?
Speaker 3: Well, that's certainly been true in some of their games this year. I didn't think that was the case as much last week because even in the first half, when the offense was terrible, the defense wasn't out there for a ridiculous long period of time. I mean, it was bad, but it wasn't like it was in some of the other games. And then in the second half the offense had some really long drives. The first drive of the second half was a seventeen play drive that should have helped the defense, but for whatever reason, the defense couldn't get a stop when they needed to in the second half. The Packers obviously had a lot to do with that. Jordan Love and that team is really good, but they need four quarters out of the defense. They've been getting two sometimes two and a half. If they haven't gotten four since Week one.
Speaker 2: Yeah, we'll get to the d in a second, because I wanted to wrap up two with tight end. Mike Aseeki's out with that peck injury. Tanner Hudson is out with a concussion. So you're two top two two, So.
Speaker 4: Are we going to see? Are you gonna see more? No Ah fan?
Speaker 2: Are they going to go to three wide? But then again, Josavas struggled. Well, how do you see the after chasing Higgins? What do you see the options have?
Speaker 3: Well, they still have three tight ends, so they've lost two that they'd defend done in the passing game, but they still have three that they're going to use tonight. Noah Fan is the best pass catcher among the three they have left through sample is the best blocker. Cam Grandy is more of a blocking TI been a receiving type, so if they throw it to the tight end, it's probably going to be noa Fan. But this team primarily is a three wide receiver, one running back, one tight end team. So yeah, Yosi Vosh had a lousy game last week, but I would expect him to be fine tonight.
Speaker 4: You get him in or what about Mitch Tinsley.
Speaker 3: Oh, Yosi Vash is the number three wide receiver. Tinsley is the number four. They'll both play, but Andrea will get more snaps.
Speaker 4: Gotcha? All right?
Speaker 2: So defensive side of the ball, Dan Horde, interesting development, Logan Wilson, you've got a captain. You got it with a green dot. He's in been in the league, what six years? I believe all of a sudden Barrett Carter is now and he's a rookie, Demetrius Night junior the other one he's a rookie, and Wilson by far, I don't think is the biggest problem on d Why why Logan Wilson.
Speaker 3: I was really surprised by that one, to tell you the truth, I didn't see it coming. I thought that Logan Wilson was playing okay, he hadn't made any big plays, but I didn't think he was egregiously bad prior to last week. But I think this goes back to the stuff that we talked about in the off season, Sony, when they signed Jamar and Tea on the same day and made their quarterback and their two wide receivers three of the highest paid players in the league. We said, Ben, the formula on defense, because it's the salary cap league will have to be younger and cheaper, and I think this is a move in that direction. They've got two linebackers that they drafted this year that they like and they want to try to develop them as quickly as possible. So I think they're willing to live with some growing growing pains and hope that Demetrius Knight and Barrett Carter can be their duel for a long time going forward.
Speaker 2: Yeah, okay, I mean that that makes sense. There is wonder if there's a message in there, because you know, I'm going down a list of defensive players that are allied for so Logan Wilson is in the top few. But on the on they hear's some good news. They've got some good news. Shamar Stewart is going to play tonight. It's great to have him back because he looked pretty good. Missed the last what four games, had little ankle sprain, and I think he's gone a lot of work tonight. Because the other guy in there, Trey Hendrickson, is still questionable. We won't ultil what about six forty five, six thirty six forty five if he's even going tonight.
Speaker 3: And the fact that he didn't practice all week, well, it's a short week. The fact that he hasn't practiced and didn't play in the second half last week against Green Bay doesn't bode well. If I had to make a guess, I don't think that Trey will play tonight. I hope I'm wrong, but it's good to have Schamar back. I thought he looked awesome in week one against Cleveland. Didn't play that much in the second game before he suffered his injury, but he had a lot of wild moments at training camp and it's going to be fun to see him back out there against it.
Speaker 4: Yeah, and get up to speed in that.
Speaker 2: You really hope Trey Hendrickson would be back because the man, I'll tell you what that all of a sudden, Now you got a little popy all spark there, and we need that right now.
Speaker 3: Yeah, Trey has played extremely well. He's got four sacks. You know. I think he's actually played the run better this year than he's ever played it before, which has been cool to see. I think the new defensive line coach, Jerry Montgomery has really worked with Trey and convinced him that, you know, you can be one of the best all around defensive ends in the NFL, not just to get a great pass rusher. And I think that trade has been really good at defending the run.
Speaker 2: Yeah. Dan Horde, Voice of the Bengals. Tonight, it is Thursday Night Football at pay Corps and the lights of the national media are here for us, and we're here for them. Bengals get going eight to fifteen tonight home the best Bengals coverage are. We kick off our live coverage at the Banks at the three o'clock today, So if you're coming down for the game, stop on buy for a cold one and some Bengals chats. So we got Schamar Stewart.
Speaker 1: That.
Speaker 2: One of the other things, and maybe it's too early to talk about this is the rumors about Trey Hendrickson possibly now going to San Francisco.
Speaker 4: It's that time of year.
Speaker 2: We have the trade deadline coming up soon and player's names are often thrown around.
Speaker 4: I mean, does that make sense?
Speaker 3: Not yet? You know, we began this by talking about how if they win tonight there right back in the hunt, and certainly that's the goal. So if they get the deadline and things, Yeah, if they get to the trade dead line and things have spiraled in a terrible direction, then you can begin talking about it. But anything being tossed out there right now, it's certainly not coming from the Bengals.
Speaker 4: Yeah.
Speaker 2: Yeah, the rumors go around, but again it's up to the next couple of weeks to find out if this team can turn things around at least stop the bleed until you get Joe Burrow back. The secondary mentioned not the biggest problem in the world of Logan Wilson, Can Taylor Britt continues to get on DA's hilled and DJ Turn especially DJ Turn had a great week. They flashed as well. Aaron Rodgers gets out the ball. I think one of the quickest release times in the National Football League, if I'm not mistaken, like well under two point five seconds.
Speaker 4: Talk about the.
Speaker 2: Deep threats there, because they brought DK Metcalf over from the Seahawks to address that, and he has been the go to option in that pass game.
Speaker 3: He's been good. He's averaging just under nineteen yards to catch and he's really the only guy so far that Rogers has been throwing the ball down the field too. Rodgers has kind of been dinking and dunking this year. You talked about him getting the ball out of his hands quickly, and that's one of the reasons why he doesn't stretch the field like he once did. But he's been very effective and they're not asking him to be MVP era Aaron Rodgers. He doesn't throw it thirty times a game, but he's taking care of the ball. He's only got three interceptions, he's not taking sacks. He's only been sacked nine times. They don't have a lot of negative plays on offense, so they're rarely in like third and ten, third and twelve. They just kind of have been methodically moving down the field. Don't have a great running game, at least not yet. But Rogers has been effective. Im. I'll give him credit because I didn't know how much he had left, and he's actually been playing pretty well.
Speaker 4: He really has.
Speaker 2: I mean, that's the thing is I think maybe sticking it to the Jets. But the Jets are you know, they're a wastelanders what that team has been for a long time. So to see him come out and go and I don't want to see him do it for Pittsburgh, but I don't like the Jets either, So I don't know what horse I'm backing in this race.
Speaker 4: How does this defense stop that machine?
Speaker 3: I think you got to try to get a few takeaways. I think that's going to be a real key tonight. Can the Bengals be on the plus side in the turnover battle because Pittsburgh is four and one this year, because they're plus seven in the takeaway ratio? I mentioned they had five takeaways when they beat New England, that's what they're doing. They've been optimistic or opportunistic this year. They've been in close games, their defense gets a take away in the fourth quarter, they pull it out. That's the type of game the Bengals need to play tonight. I don't think the Bengals have a defense that's going to hold any bent buddy to a tiny yardage total. That's just not who they are right now. But they are capable of getting some takeaways. They got them in the first two games when they won. I think that's going to be a real key to the game tonight. Yeah.
Speaker 2: I bring up with the importance of our the question about our secondary, because they have the fourth fewest rushing yards per game, and they don't rush the play, don'trun the ball, and yeah, Aaron Rodger is going to dink and dunk you. I think the other side of the ball of Steelers defense as sure as the sun rises these sets in the west, d and you know the Steeler if they're going to have a pretty good defense year.
Speaker 3: To year, yeah, and I think it's better than pretty good this year. They've gone back to being of Blitzburg. So we remember those days. Dick Leboe as the defensive coordinator and five and six guys coming after you on every passing attempt. They had gotten away from that a little bit over the last couple of years, but they're back to doing that. So far this year the third in the league in blitz percentage. They've got six guys that have multiple sacks, led by Nick Herbig, who technically isn't even a starter. He's got four and a half sacks. He plays a lot, but he's technically not listed as a starter something where he's thirty six, he's still good. TJ. Watt is still there, He's thirty one. He's still good. The guy that I was hoping that the Bengals are going to take in the first round this year, Derek Harmon having an excellent rookie year. I'm happy the Bengals wound up with Tamar Stewart because I think he's going to be great. But I really like Eric Harmon going into the draft, and I think the Steelers added another scud to their defense.
Speaker 2: All right, Well, get out there, score some points early. Maybe an important coin toss for the Bengals, quite honestly, because if you can get that first drive and get some points to get some momentum going. That's something the Bengals have locked for the last four games for sure. So tonight Dan and Lamp with the call here on the Home of the Best Bengals covered seven hundred WLW eight fifteen Thursday Night Football. Let's get some who, Let's get some Hooday magic. Get out the schneid here. Four game we cannot make it all five game losing streak, nonetheless, Dan Horde all the best, Buddy, thanks for checking in this morning.
Speaker 4: Have a great game, Thanks Blenny.
Speaker 2: Thursday Night Football eight to fifteen, we got the pregame show starting at three o'clock. Holy growled Banks, the boys are down there and we've got football and Cincinnati in a Thursday Night seven hundred WLW.
Speaker 1: The buying and selling of homes isn't for the timid or meek. The real estate world can be a vicious jungle playing with dangers and pitfall boss. Thank god, we've got Remax time agent Michelle Sloan, a fearless real tour of Sloan sellshomes dot Com, and the Queen of the real estate Jungle. It's real estate Time, which Michelle Sloane on seven hundred l Jelli all right, my wife.
Speaker 2: Is in on this beautiful Thursday morning talking what are we talking about?
Speaker 4: Talking about real.
Speaker 2: Estates, talking about the fact that I have decided I'm a pretty damn good husband. Here's me limping around on crutches and I had the knee scooter for hopefully another week. Knock wood. I'm like, you know what, I can get buy in crutches because I don't want my beautiful wife to have to get up early in the morning and drive me to work like you have been for the past two weeks. That poor woman has sacrificed so much with me being on the DL, So thank you for that.
Speaker 6: You're welcome. I'm not sure is that. No, that was the most backhanded compliment ever.
Speaker 4: No, I would say. Somebody said, well, what happened to your scooter?
Speaker 2: I said, yeah, my wife's been getting for the last two weeks, and it's like, I wouldn't want to do that. So I thought, you know, I can get around on crutches if the doctor said I can, you can drive if you don't have the medicine, And I thought, you know, for the next week or soever long it takes, I can hobble around it. And yeah, that's uncomfortable, but that's fine. So thanks for driving me for the last two weeks.
Speaker 6: Oh, you're welcome, dear. You know it's you'll be carting me around soon, isn't.
Speaker 4: That the thing?
Speaker 2: It's like, you know, as you get older, it's all the stuff that you did when you were younger that bill comes due, or maybe what you didn't do when you were younger and should have done. But you know, hey, play sports, exercise, try to be relatively fit, which I don't think you're the one of us fit in that category. But and now all the osteo stuff comes home to go, Oh you got to get this fix and that fix because of why well do you exercise like well, you told me I was doing that to get a better quality of life. Yeah, that's not true. What a bunch of crap. Everything exists to sell us something. I don't know what to do. Let's talk about real estate related stuff. I know the tariffs are hitting home. You want to talk about that this morning?
Speaker 6: Yeah, let's start with that, because I mean there's a lot going on, or there's a little going on in the real estate world, depending on what you are, what where you are, I guess, but there were new tariffs this week that took effect so on imported lumber and wooden fixtures took effect on Tuesday, which includes a ten percent tariff on ol, timber and lumber products and a higher twenty five percent And this is this one may really hit home for a lot of people. Twenty five percent on cabinets and furniture. So you know, you're seeing the increase. You're going to see the increase of pretty much everything that you need in your home is the prices are going to go up. And then January first, wooden furniture is rising to thirty percent tariff and kitchen cabinets fifty percent. Kitchen cabinets and vanities. And people don't realize that cabinets are a really significant number, like the big number in home buildings.
Speaker 2: Cabin try very very expensive. It's all because there's a lot of labor involved in making a cabinet. You know, there are some kinds that you can you can save money. There's some that you can kind of assemble yourself that are actually quite good. I'll be honest with you, I have installed and number of rentals, but as a matter of fact, some of those types of cabinets in our laundry room at our new house. And you know, they're they're fantastic, they work, they're warranted to the whole bit. Now, when you get to the hardwoods and veneer woods and custom cabinets, that can be exorbitant because there's a lot of labor, and now you add the cost of important materials.
Speaker 4: And so that's right, we have.
Speaker 6: The costs cabinets and countertops account for about twenty thousand dollars on average for a new build. Five percent is wrapped up in your cabinets and countertops. That's why most people will keep their cabinets, especially in their kitchen, until they're literally falling off the hinges. You know they're going to be repainted, they're going to be you're going to just try to find anyway not to replace those cabinets. Because when you get into replacing cabinets, when you're doing at home renovations, you're looking at tens of thousands of dollars, right, You're looking at ten or twenty thousand dollars for new cabinets, and you're like, oh, is there any way I can get away with the ones that I've got? And you know, like I said, we've seen some cabinets that have been around fifty years or more because people just don't want to even the cabinets in our new house, our old cabinets that were refurbished and were painted. And so the business of repainting cabinet has really increased over the years and it's become common it's commonplace. The quality is so much better when you're repainting cabinets. People will ask me, you know, I've got this, maybe it's maple, maybe it's a different type of the wood, but I'm tired of this wood color. You know, I don't want to the dark cherry color that's been out for a while. Can I paint my cabinet? The answer is absolutely yes, and there are some really good companies and individuals out there who will do it well. Because if you don't do it well and you don't take it, if you try to just paint on your cabinet just willy nilly, like.
Speaker 3: We're going to.
Speaker 2: But people will pay big money for hand paint and custom cabinet.
Speaker 4: So it's what's the difference.
Speaker 2: And I'd say, if you're fine with some brushstrokes in that and maybe some perfect you can definite there's a lot of good kits in the technology in the last ten years, Agot in phenomenal relative to cabinet paint, and you know, blending those lines make it look like it's sprayed. If if that's not for you, you're not handy, don't want to do that, or maybe a little bit more, but you want to do new cabinets, you can have a professional painter come in. They'll take the cabinet doors off, take them and spray them and then probably handpaint the trim and it'll look really, really good.
Speaker 4: You can go that route much cheaper.
Speaker 2: There's companies that come and reface cabinets and put them in the ear on top of the old one and you really won't notice. There's a little bit you can tell when the doors are open. It's a little bit different. But I mean really for the cost savings is it's night and day and they can do that in a day or two. Yeah, there's all sorts of different options you can. And the other thing too is if you have old cabinets, I think you just have to look at them, or I have a professional look and go all right, how good is the carcass which is the box itself?
Speaker 4: I mean you think about it.
Speaker 2: A cabinet is just a box that sits on the floor, it hangs on the wall, It doesn't go anywhere. The hinges may wear out, the doors may wear out, but those things are replaceable. I would say, if the bones, if the cabinet and the carcass are good, and you're looking at a cost of brand new cabinets, you may want to rethink that whole process because you want to lean more towards what we're talking about here.
Speaker 4: Now.
Speaker 2: You know, if you have the money and you want it, new cabinets, absolutely knock yourself out. But for sure, there's all sorts of ways to go about saving the ones you have because the older they are generally, I mean, unless they're you know, particle board or something like that, which you do see and you see, let's face, a cabinet that's fifty years now, thirty to fifty years old, you may you're probably going to have to replace that. But yeah, if you have something that's a hardwood and old wood or something like that, my god, yeah, those things will last.
Speaker 4: You know, get new doors to hardware.
Speaker 6: Right as the particle board if that was used. Just like anything, if you're putting glasses, you know out of the dishwasher that there's still a little bit wet, and you're putting them in your cabinets, that surface is going to wear a lot quicker. And you can always put different kinds of shelving materials and cover that up and get get a few more years out of it. But if you're planning to build a home anytime in the next twelve months, just expect that builders are going to be passing on the cost of tariff to you. And we're looking at anywhere between the estimates are going to be about fourteen percent higher, potentially about ten thousand dollars on the average home. You're going to see increases. So it's definitely going to cost and the whole I guess the reason why the tear off starts trying to get more and more American wood putting being put back into the timber right to be put back into the system, and that's going to take some time. Like that's not something you can't take those sawmills and just crank them up. I just crank it out.
Speaker 4: Yeah, it's and you got to grow a tree.
Speaker 2: So seventy percent of the lumber we use some I'm talking about softwood lumber because hardwoods can be exotic and come from different countries, but also on them. Let's talk about tine right softwood lumber, It's seventy percent of it comes from Canada, and as does supply wood. So even dry wall. I was seeing the price of drywall, I was looking at drywall fixing something. I'm like, my god, if she'd a drywall, now was what she'd apply withoud she plywood used to be not long ago, same things. You know, seventy percent of the gypsum comes from Mexico, so you know, we have the duties on all this stuff and just driving the costs up. And then you add in steel and aluminum and plastic pipe and copper and now appliances of course too, are are deeply affected by this as well, because we import about eighty percent of our aluminum and almost twenty percent of our steel, So all the stuff is going up. You just am waiting for the jobs to come. At this point, Okay, we're getting We're getting killed right now when it comes to building supplies and housing and everything out everything that we buy, and I'm waiting for the jobs to be created and get these prices backing are at least some sort of trade balance to go in effect, but we're not seeing it yet.
Speaker 6: Well, and we did experience some supply chain issues back in twenty twenty when we had the pandemic. We're likely to see a little bit of that supply chain disruption and as well because of the tariffs. So there may be some shortages in some areas, some increases. It just may take some time, so those costs are going to be handed over to consumers. You may see delays and the long term implication certainly it could take a couple of years to sort of straighten itself out and maybe we'll be better off in the long run.
Speaker 3: Again, we'll have to wait and see.
Speaker 6: We'll have to wait and see.
Speaker 4: I don't know, but it squeezed a lot of people. I think.
Speaker 2: Is that also ending the fact that we're seeing a stagnant real estate.
Speaker 4: Market right now.
Speaker 6: The real estate market right now is definitely trending down a little bit for sure. The average days on market in the Cincinnati area are around forty five days on market. So when you lift a home, and this is the frustration that I have because most consumers maybe don't realize, oh they you know, they keep telling me, Oh, the markets great. The market's great. Where you're going to sell your house in a day, Yeah, it's not going to happen in a day most likely now, And you have to put on a lot of patients. So even I had a new listing go on with one of my agents yesterday and by the end of the day she's like, uh, we don't have any showings scheduled yet. I'm like, yeah, and you may not for a few days because buyers. Buyers are really taking their time. A lot of them have hunkered down, i think for the rest of this year and they're not going to make a change, and so there are fewer buyers out there looking they are. If you are looking, and you are a buyer, you probably have very very specific needs. You may want a ranch in a certain price range and maybe that doesn't exist or it doesn't exist, and that might that type of a property myself very very quickly. But overall, a lot of just really really nice homes are on the market right now, and they have been for forty five days or more, and sellers are getting a little nervous, and so we're seeing a lot of uncertainty in the real estate market, and with that uncertainty, you know, becomes opportunities for buyers. So I tell buyers, right now, the mortgage interest rates around six point three five or something like that, depending on your credit, so it's less than seven percent, and there are opportunities out there. Don't be afraid to look at a home that's been on the market for a long time. There's nothing wrong with it. You know it used to be in the day. Well, that house has been on the market for three weeks because there must be something wrong with it. There's nothing wrong with that house. It's perfectly great. It just may not have had the right buyer walk through. And I very much encourage people if you are a buyer and you are looking sort of broaden maybe what you're looking for and take a look at a few of the houses that have on the market for a minute, because those sellers are going to be more willing to negotiate. And that's something that you may now you're not gonna Let's not go back to those days, because I've been in this business, as you know, for twenty years. Let's not go back to the days when we're putting in offers that are thirty thousand dollars lest from less price.
Speaker 4: That's just that's not going to happen.
Speaker 6: Pits and going to make people really mad, and don't just don't do that, Please.
Speaker 4: Don't do it.
Speaker 2: Don't there but everyone wants a deal in a bargain. And all that happened when we sold our house. Unfortunately we you know, did it right now at the right time. I you know, you made me think speaking of our old house, same thing as people. You know, you've also got to take a step back and go, okay, is there something wrong with this house or is an opportunity here?
Speaker 4: And on that.
Speaker 2: When we bought our first of the house, when we moved here and I got twenty something years ago, it was backing up to a field where they were doing site work on and it was going to be a I think light and dust trill basically is what they were calling this. And they had people coming through the house and no one would touch it because they're afraid this big factory was going to go in the backyard. I'm like, well, first of all, you know it's Mason, how much of the factory going to put in there? And then secondly, you know, looking at the the guy had the architectural plans out there and you know, looking at what it was going to be and what the restrictions were, and also landscaping can kind of go a long way too. So we looked at it and said, you know what, I think this is the fact that people see bulldozers and freak out. You know, you're going to be looking through someone's back window in the suburbs, or in this case, it was likely and you know, there were restrictions in place when they could do deliveries, and we're looking at it, going, okay, this is we can do some landscaping in the backyard. And you know, turns out it was probably one of the best investments who ever made, not only because we raised our kids there, but then we turned around and sold it and people loved it because it's like, oh my gosh, it's so nice and private back here. Well, yeah, because you know you saw that coming and you know we're lucky to get that opportunity. But also, I think when you're doing this, you can't you can't. Well there's a reason why. So though you know it's been on the market for two months or whatever.
Speaker 4: Well why is that?
Speaker 2: You know, find out why and then actually think about, hey, can I work around this because then you.
Speaker 4: Can find a bargain.
Speaker 6: Is it really going to affect the way that you live your life? And you know, we really we love the fact that we didn't have neighbors looking in our windows in the backyard. We had the privacy for the most part. But you know that that's something that you can also create once you buy a home like that and you have the understanding. Some people just they don't want to take on what they consider the risk and there's always ways around it. Like you said, there's landscaping and the trees that you can buy that will provide screens and it won't completely If you're backed up to a road, that's not always going to be the best location. But then again maybe not. Maybe it is.
Speaker 2: Bottom line is you know, just take a pause and just because everyone else is doing it, just stop and think and you know, think about the problem for a minute and maybe there's an opportunity to there for anyway. My wife Michelle Sloane Sloan sales homes dot com, open house show via the iHeartRadio app and podcasts of course on YouTube as well, and she's in mainvillat remax time. All right, let me thanks again I gotta goat, gotta go. Willie is on the way. We are in the Terry Thigi Chief Terry Thigi career deathwatch right now, and she's gonna fallo on the sword for the incompetent administration of the City of Cincinnati allows crime to run ramp and then blames the chief and has to do with the stupid policies, I think. But nonetheless, we'll keep an eye out for that. And of course we've got Thursday Night football tonight, Bengals and Steelers tonight, and it all kicks off three o'clock, by the way, live broadcast.
Speaker 4: Down at the at the Grill. Get on down there with the boys.
Speaker 2: Scott Sloan Show, Home of the Best Bengals coverage, seven hundred w o w D, Cincinnati,