Speaker 1: From the original Montgomery and it's the Scott Saderfield Radio Show on seven hundred W looking for a six consecutive victory eight o'clock on Saturday evening. It is great to be here at the original Montgomery and coach, It's awesome to get a chance to sit down with you and talk about your team. The only thing that would make tonight better would be if you were sitting between myself and Jim Kelly. And we were all so incredibly heartbroken yesterday morning to find out that, for my money, somebody who is more synonymous with University of Cincinnati football and quite frankly, University of Cincinnati Athletics passed away. We've talked a lot in recent weeks about Jim stepping away from his broadcast duties. A few weeks ago we were hoping beyond hope that maybe he could join us for Saturday's game in some capacity. We lost an absolute titan. You were very let tell you what, you were very classic. You talked about him after the Kansas game in Lawrence, when Jim was not with us. You had some comments today. Obviously somebody you got to know during the course of your now three seasons at Cincinnati, and uh, just an amazing loss, an amazing person, but a tremendous loss.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I mean, obviously a huge loss.
Speaker 3: I feel, man, this this year we were I was talking about this today in the office with Man, there's been some losses this year of people that have been close to me, you know. And I guess as you get older, you're gonna that's gonna happen more and more.
Speaker 2: But it but it was certainly heartbreaking to get.
Speaker 3: That news, you know, because it was I felt like it was just a couple of weeks ago. You know, Jim is sitting right here, Yeah, and you know when he's interviewing me after the games, and you know, but.
Speaker 2: I tell you I said this today.
Speaker 3: I mean, the most positive guy, one of the most positive guys I've been around, you know, and our you know, our first year we're not very good, and he always find something that was positive. And I always really appreciate that as a coach, because not many people in your corner when you're going through stuff like that. And but always felt like Jim was and uh, and just a it's a great heart, great soul, you know, And yeah, I mean, what a what a tragedy for us to lose him and not to be able to you know, be around him.
Speaker 2: But I do think, I mean, that was one positive.
Speaker 3: I mean, just to be on this winn a streak and now for this weekend and get the big win and then to get ranked you know, Monday, and you know, I'm pretty sure he found that out, you know, hopefully, and that brought it, you know, a smile to him.
Speaker 2: But but yeah, what a loss. Jim Kelly.
Speaker 1: I talked to his son Dave on Monday morning and he told me he goes well. On Saturday, I watched the game with Dad. He had plenty of analysis and so I know this sounds hokey, but if you were to say to Jim Kelly, your last full day on Earth, what.
Speaker 2: Do you want to do?
Speaker 1: He would say, I want to do two things. I want to be with my family because Jim was the ultimate family man. And I want to spend it watching the UC Bearcats get a victory. And I said that to my wife on yesterday morning. I said, at the very least, I'm gonna take some solace in the fact that Jim's last full day on Earth he was with his family and he was watching the Bearcats gena win.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, no, no, exactly right.
Speaker 3: I mean, you know, it's uh, you know, none of us are all of us are going to be going.
Speaker 2: We're going at some point, you know.
Speaker 3: But to be able to to be doing what you want to do in that moment when that happens, I mean that that if I when it's my time, that's what I want to be doing too, being with my family and doing something that you love.
Speaker 2: And he was loved and.
Speaker 3: I think and I know he felt that, you know, and you know, but yeah, what a loss and certainly going to be missed.
Speaker 2: No question about it.
Speaker 1: The only thing that would make the five game and soon to be six game winning streak better would be to have a chance to talk about it with Jim.
Speaker 2: Let's talk about your team.
Speaker 1: We were talking about this on the air right after the game on Saturday. You use the same verbiage in your your press conference today. That's a weird game on Saturday, twenty to eleven victory over UC.
Speaker 2: I felt like you guys never had the ball in the second half.
Speaker 1: I didn't feel like the game was ever necessarily in danger, but just a kind of a bizarre afternoon.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I mean it was I felt the same.
Speaker 3: Once we got up seventeen nothing, I felt like, Okay, we got a good chance, good opportunity to win this game.
Speaker 2: And you know, when the second half came out, I felt like, you know a.
Speaker 3: Little bit similar to the Iowa State game, and the fact that you know, they occupied the ball a lot, you know, right there when he came out, they had it seven minutes in the second half, third quarter, these guys had the ball first coming out as well. And then in the second half, you know, they had two drives that were very abnormal. A seventeen play drive that resulted in a punt. I mean, you're occupying the ball a long time just to punt the football. And then a nineteen play drive that resulted it, you know, in the touchdown. But you know, I felt like, you know, in a way, I was just kind of sitting over there like watching paint drive, you know, because I mean it's just like, you know, five yards here, here's a four yard play. Well, then we get them to third long and they pick up you know, about half of her a little bit more. Now is fourth down, They're gonna go for it, right, you know, and then here comes a flag and you know and then it's the first thing and it starts over again. I mean, it's just like it felt like that. It was pretty you know, exhausting. I told Tyson Bite our defensive corner. I was like, my god, are he goes, yeah, I'm exhausted. This is in the middle of the nineteen play drive. I mean, because he's trying to come up with another defense to try to get to get off the field at some point, you know, and meanwhile, you know, I want to hit the offense back out there so we can get an opportunity to go. And so in the second half we ran sixteen plays, you know, and it just not never could get any kind of rhythm really, and you know, we got a field goal at some point there in the third quarter. But but yeah, it was just a very very unusual game. But I mean, obviously we're glad we were on top, and you know, we had to control the game pretty much the whole time. And again fast start though, I really, you know, they had not given up a point in the first quarter, you know, and we were able to go out and get a touchdown early in the game and continue and we built that seventeen lead, and I felt obviously felt good about it. But yeah, we just got to be able to finish better.
Speaker 1: It didn't feel like during those two long drives the defense was necessarily playing poorly.
Speaker 2: Yeah, but you don't want you know, you want to get off the field.
Speaker 3: No, I agree with that. You know you do want to get off the field. And there was three in the ninth Peo play. There's three plays in a row where our linebacker's right there to make the tackle and we did not make it three three times in a row, including fourth and twelve when gold a arguably are best player, had him wrapped up. Somehow, he gets out, runs to the sideline, blindly throws it up. It hits Christian Harrison right in the five. He bounces up right to their guy running toward their goal line.
Speaker 2: He catches it.
Speaker 3: I'm what, this is unbelievable. Yes, I wake up Sunday morning. I was like the number one play every day on Saturday. So that's not good. But uh, you know, it was just that kind of drive and you know, in the second half and then and then it's fourth down again and then you call the penalty and the end zone and the ultimate end.
Speaker 2: Up scoring again.
Speaker 3: But you know, very weird weird, weird second half. To say the least, first half was probably normal, but the second, the second half was where it got kind.
Speaker 2: Of weird and crazy. And you know, obviously, you know, don't like that.
Speaker 3: We want to be we want to be on the other and we want to get more plays than the other team. You know that that that that'd be a good change.
Speaker 1: How hard is it as a play caller when all right, your offense takes the field. I think it was nearly an hour before between snaps, and it's I have to think as a player, it's difficult to kind of get yourself back up and ready to go. Is it difficult as a play caller to kind of get back in the frame of mind of oh.
Speaker 3: Yeah, we're on all yeah, yes, I mean and then wor right, because you're always thinking about the guys, you know, what, what can we get?
Speaker 2: What play do we need to get into?
Speaker 3: They've been sitting over here forever, you know, and then you know who needs to touch the ball like, and how to what formation we need to get into? What we haven't had any rhythms, So it's kind of hard, you know. One of the drives I think we got quite a bit on first down. I think we got nine yards is second and one. We ran the ball, we didn't get anything, and then we tempoed third down to get it and it was a run pass option.
Speaker 2: We ended up pulling it and throwing it away.
Speaker 3: And I'm like, oh my gosh, you know, we had second and one third run, we don't we don't get a first down, you know, and we're right back over here watching again, you know, And that's why it felt weird, because we just couldn't get anything going.
Speaker 2: Now.
Speaker 3: It was some poor execution on our part. Offensively, I think, uh, you know, missed some blocks early in the game. It had a couple of drops. Just not not not our best game offensively. I think our offensive line has played great all year, you know, not that time's not great there. You know, they didn't play great either up front. But but I do I want to get a credit Central Florid.
Speaker 2: I thought they've did.
Speaker 3: Defense was solid, they had some speed, They always kept six people in the.
Speaker 2: Box, you know, which really kind of crowded that.
Speaker 3: You know, I think, if you're looking back on it, felt like, you know, probably probably should have spread it out a little bit more in a second half. And and you know, trying to get the passing game going.
Speaker 2: A little bit better.
Speaker 3: But you know, somebody asked the question today, you know, once you get a lead, you know, and you're getting into the fourth quarter, do you change a little bit?
Speaker 2: You know?
Speaker 3: And I think, well, you don't want to do any Do you want to put your kids in a bund, You don't want to lose yards, you don't want to turn the ball over.
Speaker 2: There's a fine line for trying.
Speaker 3: To be overly aggressive right there, but probably hindsight, be a little bit more aggresive than we were.
Speaker 2: Yeah, you know, I.
Speaker 1: Was waiting for what you had the week before, which was the eighty two yard gast player right to kind of just open things up a little bit of a sire relief for the fans.
Speaker 2: You know, you your back up by sixteen points.
Speaker 3: And that sort of played never material that we almost had it. We had we had Caleb Goodie on a on a fade route on their sideline. The defender ended up falling down and it went just right over his hand. That would have been a sixty yard touchdown probably, But that's really the only one that it comes to mind like that, and that would have been huge to get that maybe because you get some momentum right there. I man, maybe you know, you get the kids get excited. Now now we're now we're rolling.
Speaker 1: I thought that game, you know, Max Fletcher four punts inside the fifteen Big twelve Special Teams Player of the Week Stephen Rusnak continues to be perfect. I thought that game was the biggest example yet of how improved your special teams units are. And it's everyone. It's punt return, kick return, it's it's pat it's field goal, it's it's every phase of special teams. I thought on Saturday, and we talked about this in the postgame show as well, that was the best example of how far you guys have come.
Speaker 2: From a special team's perspective. Yeah, it was great.
Speaker 3: Then they've played really good all year and yeah, you know you mentioned, you know, Max putting the ball like that is flipping the field, putting the ball inside the twenty four times, the one that got on.
Speaker 2: The two yard line, incredible play.
Speaker 3: You know, Manny coves down, grab the ball right before the goal line, threw it behind his back to the teammate, caught it on the two yard line to be able to down it. I mean those guys are taking extreme pride in playing you know, fundamentally sound special teams, leveraging the ball like they supposed to. But you know, our punter and our kicker are playing really really good as well. But you put that with the fact that guys away they're covering. I think Stoke, Kyle Stokes on a kickoff came down and tackled him on the ten yard line.
Speaker 2: Like that's huge.
Speaker 3: You know, we're one of the best kickoff teams because of that. Steve has been a lot of them in the end zone. But when they do bring it out, our guys are right there to cover it, you know. And being able to win the fifth field position battle, I mean obviously huge. That is paying dividends for us and winning these football games.
Speaker 1: We are at the original Montgomery in We are getting set for Saturday night, twenty fourth rated Cincinnati on the road against Oklahoma State.
Speaker 2: That game will kick off at eight o'clock.
Speaker 1: We'll have it for you on seven hundred WLW Saturday evening from Stillwater starting at seven am. More to come seventeen minutes after eight o'clock. It's the Scott Saderfield Radio Show on seven hundred WLW eighteen minutes after eight o'clock, we're at the original Montgomery in for the Scott Satderfield Radio show, Moegger filling in for Dan Horde as we get set for Saturday night. Since looking for a six consecutive victory, the Bearcats ranked in the top twenty five. That's obviously not the end goal, but it does have to be does have to feel good.
Speaker 3: To see that number next to Cincinnati absolutely feels good, you know, I think you know, obviously we're taking it one game at a time and trying to do our best this week versus Oklahoma State. But you know, anytime you can get your school associated with a number right there in the top twenty five, that means something.
Speaker 2: I think you know.
Speaker 3: Called about an hour and a half last night, I'm talking to recruits and obviously we're talking about being in the top twenty five. I mean like that that is something that is very positive. I mean, you turn on a TV and a clicker comes across. They put the ones that are the top twenty five on there. Yes, when you go to Espana look at the scores, they pull up the top twenty five first.
Speaker 2: I mean, so there is something to.
Speaker 3: It and and what it means is you're playing good football, you know, but we want to stay in the top twenty five, you know, and then and obviously you want to be there by the end of the season.
Speaker 2: That's that's the ultimate goal, no question about that.
Speaker 1: We have questions in the audience, our friend John Daniel from the UC Athletic Department handling the microphone.
Speaker 2: Who do we have.
Speaker 3: We've got Gary, Yeah, coach Oklahoma State.
Speaker 2: I haven't had a chance to look at him. What's their what they got offense? Defense? Yeah? Well they have both those things. They do have both of those things. Yeah.
Speaker 3: Well, it's pretty interesting, you know, the fact that coach Gundy, their head coach, have been there forever played there was there, I mean, I don't know how many years, a long time as the head coaching, very successful coach. They ended up moving on from him a few weeks back. Doug Meachum takes over, who just got there this year. He was at TCU last year, so now he's taken over the helm. He actually played there at Oklahoma State. So you know, anytime you have a coach that changed, obviously just from some things that were not going well for them, and they've had some issues at quarterback. Their starting quarterback that came in from TCU started at the beginning of the year, broke a bone in his foot had to have surgery, So they've had a little bit of a revolving door at the quarterback position. Last week, they took one of their receivers who in his early in his career was a quarterback.
Speaker 2: They put them at quarterback.
Speaker 3: You know, so, but he actually threw the ball, you know, really well. I've been watching the game last week. He threw it pretty good. He can run, he can throw, you know. And then defensively, after they've they got rid of Gundy, they they made a change of defensive coordinator, so a new coordinator as.
Speaker 2: Well over the last two weeks.
Speaker 3: So they've had a lot of change in the coaches and what they've been trying to do offense and defense, and so you know, they've struggled a little bit in that room, both sides of the ball. So for us as coaches, it's a little bit hard to game plan because you don't really fully understand what you're gonna get. Changes so many things offensively and defensively. Last week, they threw a touchdown pass on a trick play so they've been starting to run more of those things. So we really got to defend the whole field. They've you know, they've had eight players throwaway pass this year. Like that's that's unusual stat right, you know. And I think that's has to speak to the problems they've had at quarterback right there.
Speaker 2: But I think their defense, but I think they get after on defense. I think they've pressured the quarterback.
Speaker 3: I think they've got eight or nine sacks on the season from the defensive side of the ball. Their special teams are good. They're very solid on the teams, you know. And and here's the other thing. We're going on the road in the Big twelve, playing at night. It's homecoming, like you know that in itself, they're gonna be inspired, you know, bringing all their alumni back. That that'll be they'll play Aspire football. We'll get their best shot. We just got ranked. I mean, they're like, hey, what's what the thing that we can do is knock them off the pedestal, right, So, uh so we got to have our guys ready to go.
Speaker 2: Dave Hey coach.
Speaker 4: Uh First of all, again, thoughts and prayers at to Jim's family. I've always tried to have a question for him, and uh, I'm gonna continue that. Yeah, so I saw today that we landed a commit from Springboro and you mentioned recruiting earlier. How do you guys balance recruiting during the uh, during the season.
Speaker 3: Yeah, it's difficult during the season, you know. We we do have a great team of of people that that's what they do, you know, Zach Grant's our GM who heads up our recruiting department, our player person know, and and several guys who are in that department. That's all they do. They recruit, you know, and so they're they're in contact with these guys. We're trying to get them all to campus, the ones that we're interested in. You know, each day we set aside time to watch film, so we were gonna get updates on guys.
Speaker 2: You know.
Speaker 3: We certainly we have our committed players right now. We'll go back and watch how they're doing this year their senior season, but we're also looking at juniors, and then we're also looking at you know, twenty twenty seven guys, twenty twenty eight guys, and they're building that database out to show the coaches.
Speaker 2: You know. One of the things we do on Monday night, you.
Speaker 3: Know, we set aside about an hour hour and a half to do calls, and so we're inside the office and we're on the phone. We're passing it around talking to these recruits, and then we try to bring them on campus, like you know, for Saturday, we had a bunch of good recruits in here Saturday. You know, the one you're speaking of was here, you know, and uh, and so you know, we're trying to show them a good time. We want to you know, show them Dipper, show them what what this fan base is all about. And so they the last two weeks, you know, come to see an Iowa State game and then you know, that game was great, We got good wins, and they were they were in the locker room up brating with us getting to see all that.
Speaker 2: So. Uh, but it is a balance to be able to do. It's hard.
Speaker 3: I mean, it's a lot of work, you know, and try to keep these guys. Here's the other thing. Some of these guys that are committed, they're starting to get offers from some big schools out there, and it's hard.
Speaker 2: You've got to hold on to these guys.
Speaker 3: You know, we're trying to hang on, and our guys do a great job of identifying talent early when they don't have anything going on, and you know, and I know people like to look at stars and all that. Well a lot of these guys are just you know, they're just good football players and they haven't been rated highly yet and all that.
Speaker 2: And but these guys are going to get a lot offers.
Speaker 3: From the Big ten schools, SEC schools, you know, and now we have to have a good enough relationship with these guys and that's why we talk to them every week that they still feel comfortable about, you know, coming to playing for.
Speaker 1: Us in an era where we talk so much about the portal and you guys, you benefited from your work in the portal this season. It's refreshing to hear a coach talk about high school recruiting.
Speaker 3: Yeah, oh yeah, because that's that's kind of blown by the waist side of that, you know.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and we're trying to sign roughly twenty guys every year.
Speaker 3: I mean, we we'd like to sign that because we know there's gonna be some a metriction you guys are gonna lead that maybe aren't playing or whatever. But that's you know, that's eighty guys on your team, and you know, you get a little bit of attrition. Then you then you fill in with the portal guys. But I just I believe you got to you know, that's that's your your floor of your program.
Speaker 2: These guys come in, you develop them.
Speaker 3: They they love it here, they love the culture, and then they're more apt to be here, you know, and then we develop into something great, you know, and then they'll be here their whole career. That's the thought and that's the hope, you know. But but yeah, but it's it's difficult nowadays with how competitive college football is. It's competitive on this on the Saturdays, you guys are seeing that and how close these games are.
Speaker 2: But it's just as competitive in the recruiting.
Speaker 3: World, like people are doing anything and everything to try to get these recruits.
Speaker 2: John, Who's next, coach?
Speaker 5: I tell you your offense is coming together, Caldwell. Early you got one of those flash plays again, uh long touchdown.
Speaker 2: Prior was doing great. I mean it seems like you got a lot of things clicking.
Speaker 3: Yeah, we got a lot of talent out there, you know, I think, you know, and it's not just one player.
Speaker 2: It's what I like about it. I don't know what the stats are.
Speaker 3: We I think there's six receivers that have I don't know, over one hundred yards or something like that. We've got, you know, Cyrus has five touchdowns, but we've got several guys that have touchdown catches.
Speaker 2: So it's not just one person, which is what I like about it.
Speaker 3: You know, you got a really good tight end, You've got five or six rideouts that are making plays for us, two good running backs, offensive lines doing really well, you know, in our quarterbacks playing at a high level.
Speaker 2: So you know, who do you stop? You know?
Speaker 3: And I think that's the good thing for us because like, hey, you want to stop this guy, Well, we're going to this guy, you know. And I think we got to be able to continue to do that, you know, and do it this week at a high level.
Speaker 2: I'll clarify those numbers for you.
Speaker 1: You have five receivers who have ten or more receptions and six who have cleared at least one hundred and thirty three yards. And it's it's not one guy, you know. It's even like the Kansas game, NOA. Jennings makes that catch, oh fourth and ten, well, fourth and ten, one handed running catch, which it's a great catch. That's a good catch in the second quarter with the game hanging in the balance, it's the play of the game. And so it's to me, I watch it and go with your dudes on the outside. You're becoming increasingly difficult to defend.
Speaker 2: Yeah. No, it's a great point.
Speaker 3: You know, you would think, okay, well, if you've got to go to guy, you certainly use him on fourth and ten.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 3: Well, we're rotating guys, you know, we want to keep them fresh. And you know Noah, we got great confidence in Noah. Him and Callwell are kind of split in the ex position. You know, we're in that position. And then you know, you look at the slot. You know, Isaiah and Cyrus are kind of splitting that, you know, looking at the Z and you know Caleb Goodies out there, who's making some great plays for us. You know, I think it's just a it's a it's a perfect world that you want a scenario where you've got a bunch of different guys that are making plays. I love the fact we've got two running backs that are staying fresh, you know, and that's that's a great one two combination with a bruiser and then a guy who's got a lot of speed. But I do think it all kind of starts up front. If your offensive line is playing well, then then you can move the football and you're able to disperse the ball to all the playmakers.
Speaker 2: John, Who's next? Yeah, we got jink. Hey, coach.
Speaker 6: Uh, you know, at the past two games, we've had some questionable, almost criminal pass defense calls that have all put us all on blood pressure medication. I know you can't comment on that, but like, how do you how do you coach somebody on that where they did the right thing, they still get the bad call, but there's still got good coverage. From a coaching standpoint, what do you tell tell the player?
Speaker 3: Yeah, I mean it's difficult, you know, when when it is not a foul, but they call it anyway, Like.
Speaker 2: It's just keep doing what you're doing. I'm that's what we're telling them. I mean, I mean, that's really truly what we're telling them. Now.
Speaker 3: You know, we had another couple of other PI calls that were probably PI calls, you know, they were legit, and then we're gonna coach them through that. You know, get your head back, you know, don't play through the hands once the ball hits.
Speaker 2: There and all those type things.
Speaker 3: But it's very frustrating when we're getting called on some calls that you know they're they're really not there, you know.
Speaker 2: And I think sometimes and.
Speaker 3: That is the probably the most hardest thing for referees to defend, is passing afference.
Speaker 2: Like it's difficult. Most of the time.
Speaker 3: You have the see we're just putting his hands out, and then you have the defenders putting his sounds out, you know, and like who who's doing the interfering here? And that is really difficult to officiate. But if there's no contact, that's pretty easy to officiate.
Speaker 2: One would say, you with this, you would think.
Speaker 3: But I do think there's some anticipation. I think I think some of these guys human.
Speaker 2: Nature slips, say, and they think, oh, we would anticipate a you know.
Speaker 3: A collision here or a man and and I just think they got to see it through, see through the play and then take a breath and then move on.
Speaker 2: That's what you would you like to see that call itself payt P I be reviewable, you.
Speaker 3: Know, I would other than the fact that it would it would prolong the game before long even longer than it is right now, because you know, if there's a ball thrown down sideline and you have two guys running, there's a likelihood of a flag get thrown, like you just you just see it every week in college football. If two guys are there running down and here comes a pass, I feel like, unless it's way overthrown, but if it's contested, I feel like it's almost a chance that a fly is going to be there about every time.
Speaker 2: I just so it's that is difficult. I think the review all right.
Speaker 1: We're at the original Montgomery In for the Scott Sadafield radio show, Cincinnati on the Road twenty fourth ranks. Cincinnati on the Road on Saturday night for a game against Oklahoma State. Our pregame coverage from Stillwater on seven hundred WLW will start at seven pm. It's news time. It's a Scott's Sadifield radio show on seven hundred WLW twenty six minutes away from nine o'clock. We are at the original Montgomery In on seven hundred WLW for the Scott Sanderfield Radio show. Mollegar filling in for Dan Horde, the Voice of the Bearcats, is hosting tonight's men's basketball tip off dinner at fifth third. His absence gives me the distinct pleasure of talking with I think the best pair of corners in the Big Twelve, Matthew McDoom and Logan Wilson.
Speaker 2: Give it up for these guys.
Speaker 1: Appreciate good to have you guys. Matthew will start with you. You came to Cincinnati after spending the last few years of Coastal Carolina. We have seen in person what we had read about this off season, which was the speed and athleticism. Let's tell the folks, while you chose to come to the University of Cincinnati.
Speaker 7: Yes, sir, so being at Coastal Carolina for three years it was really nice. But I felt like after my third year, when getting the first team Sunbow, I was like, let me go test what I could actually do, you know. So I was like, let me go to a better conference. So when I decided to hit the portals, Cincinnati was actually the first school to hit me up, and I was like, hey, you know, y'all the first and I looked like I go off of love. So coach Bight was definitely showing that, and everybody who was texting me was definitely showing that so first visit and I was that made my decision.
Speaker 1: I was like, yeah, the logan you were here last season, did you did you know Matthew, did you play any role in getting him or maybe some of the other guys to join the program or just I'll see who's here and get to know him once they're here.
Speaker 8: I see who's here.
Speaker 9: But no, it was actually, you know, great at having do him come, Like I just felt like Doom just brought another different energy, another set of gear, and we just as soon as we met each other, we just bonding and grew up from that just.
Speaker 1: And you had to have called him Doom from the get go, right, You didn't have to ask you were here last year, but you you had spent time in three other programs.
Speaker 2: Ultimately, what were the factors that made you choose you.
Speaker 9: See, man, just the connection and the family that they have honestly is just great people, great people to be around, and you know, you don't want to go to Wolf for these people, honestly.
Speaker 8: So it just made my decision.
Speaker 1: The in the off season, I think what we knew about the defense was all right, there gonna get some guys up front back who didn't play last year, very good at linebacker. I think a lot of folks were wondering about the back end, and I remember talking with Jake Golday this summer and he said, like, I am so excited about who we have in the back end. And what he talked about is what.
Speaker 2: We have seen. This feels like it's come together with you guys very quickly.
Speaker 7: Matthew, Yes, sir, definitely, Especially right when I got here, I automatically became real close to basically all the dbs. Really, it was I was a little, you know, nervous just being myself, you know, just a little nervous. But it took me like just a few days and then we all bonded, so that just went on to the field.
Speaker 1: Yeah, did he have anything to do with us or just you know, wait for everybody to show up gets definitely definitely.
Speaker 7: Logan being actually the leader in the corner group, it was he made it easy to just bond with everybody, you know, he was just connecting with everybody, making sure everybody was good.
Speaker 1: So the year before, you're the new guy, now you're you're the returning player.
Speaker 2: What was that like?
Speaker 8: Oh, you know, it was a little different.
Speaker 9: Honestly, because I was a new guy last year at another position, so and then I was a vet coming in at a different position, so it was kind of it was kind of different, but it was also I felt like it played a big role though, because I knew all the players and I can help people that's coming in.
Speaker 1: And I talked about this with Tyson Bite today. Last year it was the three three five, which was new to almost everybody, and it just feels like there's a comfort level, whether it's players like yourself who were here a year ago, players like yourself Matthew who were not here a year ago. It just it feels like it's clicking the system and the familiarity with it's paying off definitely.
Speaker 7: Really just it was just a communication right when I got here in the meetings, Coach Hicks made it easy easier on us just to understand it, you know, just for the basics, right and then you know, just for example Logan just being in a defense, him knowing how it is, just the actual help. You know, It's just it made it a lot easier.
Speaker 2: You guys gonna get a pick.
Speaker 1: I mean you, I know you're tired of that question, but you know, hey, the best corner duo in the Big twelve. But you know how many picks do they have as many as me?
Speaker 2: Who's gonna get the first one? Is there a competition?
Speaker 8: Man?
Speaker 9: We got a competition going now, yeah, yeah, right, because we gotta get one. But it's gonna be in due time, and I feel like it's gonna come at the right time. And once it comes, I just feel like everybody's just gonna start getting it right.
Speaker 8: Just start clicking.
Speaker 1: You want interceptions, but you're not playing the ball looking for picks, right, They're gonna come if you if your technique is sound, if you're covering your guy, if you're around the ball.
Speaker 2: The picks are gonna come. It's a matter of time. That's a good way of looking at it.
Speaker 7: Yep, your job, Do you a job, and when the ball comes, just make a player.
Speaker 1: But when one of you, if it's either of you, you get. If you get the first one, then what happens. There's gonna be something at play here, right.
Speaker 8: Ahead, go figure it out. Okay, we just gotta get it.
Speaker 2: What if it's one of those other guys.
Speaker 1: I have noticed that about you guys, that there's you know, forget the picks when one of the other dudes makes a play. I used to say this about Sauce Gardener and Brian Cook and the guys who were here four or five years ago. When one guy made a play, you'd see all the dbs get so excited.
Speaker 2: I see that with you guys. That's a big part of it.
Speaker 1: The other thing that I think it is in play here when I think of those guys, I remember watching, you know, Trey Tucker and Alec Pierce play in practice again, Sauce Gardener and Kobe Bryant, and I feel like the guys that the Bearcats have on the outside offensively challenge you guys in practice, and you that that pays off as well.
Speaker 8: Definitely, they get us better every day.
Speaker 9: Yeah, every day they may give a get us on a on a rep. On the rep, we may get them on a rep. But it's just every day we just getting better.
Speaker 2: Did you get any interceptions in practice? Yeah? Yeah, Sorry, I asked you.
Speaker 1: Logan Wilson is obviously it's a football name in Cincinnati. He's the linebacker at the Cincinnati Bengals. And you were kind enough to join me on the pregame show last year, and I said Logan, like, have you met the other Logan Wilson, and he said not yet. It's been about a year. You and Logan haven't crossed pass yet.
Speaker 8: We have not a cross paths yet.
Speaker 2: How's that happened?
Speaker 8: I don't know. I really don't know. I'll go to it. Like I go to a restaurant, I say my name, Yeah.
Speaker 9: They always think I like the linebacker from the Bengals.
Speaker 8: So it's like every time I go in there, they'd be like, oh, where do you go?
Speaker 2: We're disappointed?
Speaker 8: Yeah.
Speaker 1: Really, it's like when I walk in here and it's not Dan Hord, it's the same thing.
Speaker 2: Oh oh him.
Speaker 1: Well, I mean you would think at some point one of you would, you know, initiate.
Speaker 8: Just maybe I had to initiate.
Speaker 1: It aren't that many Matthew mcdooms though, when you when you do settings like this, or you meet people for the first time, like they want to talk about your last name, right, Yeah, that's pretty awesome.
Speaker 7: Yeah, it's mostly mostly when they hear it, when they hear it for the first time, like, oh, yeah, that's the football, Yes it is, Yeah, yes it is.
Speaker 1: Coach was was asked about bad calls, and I've seen in recent weeks. I need you to be responsible here. But I've seen you both in recent weeks get flags that you didn't deserve. For you, it was the unnecessary roughness. But the dude still fighting for yardage and he's just brought them to the ground and then the guys grabbing your face mask and it's p I on you.
Speaker 2: Is it? You got to move on? Right? Is that hard? Wouldn't be I'm still talking about it a week and a half.
Speaker 9: Later as it is because he got the p I.
Speaker 2: I'll say, no, it's not hard.
Speaker 7: It's really just next play mentality, you know, just grow up playing football. That's that's what it is. You know, it's you know, pis are hard for the rest.
Speaker 2: You know, the guys grabbing your face mask, it ain't that hard.
Speaker 7: Yeah, but it's like it's in the moment. It's in the moment, so you know the ref has it. There are certain angles. We have our angles, so you know, it's just it's in the moment. But you know the ref makes a call. You gotta by the call.
Speaker 2: Though. Yeah, I think that stood out about you guys this year. Awesome.
Speaker 1: We're gonna step aside if anybody has a question for Matthew or Logan. That doesn't involve neither having a pick this year, John Daniel walking around with the live mic.
Speaker 2: It is seventeen minutes away from nine o'clock.
Speaker 1: We are at the original Montgomery in the Scott Sadderfield Radio Show on seven hundred WLW. Final segment of the Scott Sanderfield Radio Show on seven hundred wl W. We have a great crowd with us tonight here at the original Montgomery and Moegar filling in for the voice of the Bearcats.
Speaker 2: Dan Horde.
Speaker 1: Dan will be behind the microphone on Saturday night along with Tony Pike in still Water as Cincinnati takes on Oklahoma State. The Bearcats looking for a six consecutive victory, looking to improve upon that number twenty four ranking in both major polls and achieve Bowl eligibility with a win over the Cowboys on Saturday Night. I am joined by cornerbacks Matthew McDoom and Logan Wilson, and we have questions from the crowd.
Speaker 2: Are you guys ready? So all right, here we go, sir, go ahead.
Speaker 10: So my question is we got to talk about the offense having to deal with noise issues when you guys played Nebraska. So you guys are on defense at home when the crowd's getting loud on those third downs, I see a lot of hand signals, armed signals. How difficult is it for you guys to communicate what you're doing when the home crowd is trying to make it tough on the opposing offense?
Speaker 9: Let me do Really, it's just a lot of hand signals, a lot of communication, talking on the sideline when we come off the field from like a possession or a timeout, and just really just figuring out like what we can do to kind of calm it down for everybody on the defensive side. So it's just really just figuring out everybody and just figuring out the communication part.
Speaker 7: I say, really, it all starts like the beginning of the week, you know, in practice, you know, just communicating what.
Speaker 2: We see from our scouts team.
Speaker 7: So when we get to the game or we've seen it before, so hey, like yo, we've seen this with like you know, so that's really it just practice.
Speaker 2: I will say this having come to a couple of summer practices.
Speaker 1: Whatever the crowd noise is is not as loud as the music that's blaring.
Speaker 2: No would you guys prepare right.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, usually some of my favorite songs are played as well.
Speaker 2: We have another question from the ground.
Speaker 11: No, I think you're incorrect about one thing. I think mister McDoom.
Speaker 4: Had an interception that the refs took away from.
Speaker 2: Why does she bring that up and not you?
Speaker 7: Because it ain't count it count I can't count it.
Speaker 2: That's a tough one.
Speaker 8: I hated that.
Speaker 2: Yeah, are your coaches.
Speaker 1: Reminding you of the the whole non no interceptions thing?
Speaker 3: Is that?
Speaker 2: Oh?
Speaker 8: Yeah, every day, every day? Definitely, the coaches, the players, your teammates.
Speaker 1: Yeah, what's gonna happen if like one of the like the D lineman gets a fluke interceptions like Jalen Hunt bashed out of ball and catches it and he has a pick and neither of you guys do Yeah, true teammate, go ahead.
Speaker 4: So this question is for both of you guys. And UH, this is sort of my default question for players that are not from the Cincinnati area. Are there places that you guys like to go around town? Other restaurants other than the Montgomery and uh other sporting teams that you guys have gone to watch? What what do you like to do outside of football?
Speaker 2: Here?
Speaker 4: In Cincinnati.
Speaker 7: Oh, I say, my favorite food spot which I took my mom last time she was here, was Milkman. It's like a uh smash regular. Yeah, it was a great place exactly.
Speaker 8: For me. I kind of like light the Fielding.
Speaker 9: I always go to the Fielding and guess on the probably go like once every week, honestly, So I think that's probably my favorite place to go.
Speaker 2: Once a week. You work out an nil deal very good.
Speaker 1: Maybe maybe that's where you and Logan Wilson of the Pedals can have watch right up the street.
Speaker 2: That'd be. That'd be pretty good to ask. You See, you can't ask if you don't reach out.
Speaker 1: You know, if only there was somebody that like worked for both, you know, teams that can make that happen.
Speaker 2: Hoard comment Dan.
Speaker 8: He can make it, he can. Yes, I'm mad to talk to you.
Speaker 1: They're gonna have to see if Dan can can facilitate that. What has been for both of you The best part about you know, coming there's the school and there's the program.
Speaker 2: But living in Cincinnati.
Speaker 7: I'll start, I say, I moved here in January.
Speaker 2: So right when I.
Speaker 7: Moved in, it was like a big snowstart that just passed. So being from Florida, you know, we're moving in by myself and in the apartment with the snow, I was like, wow, this is crazy, you know, walking outside and just seeing white. You know, I'm not I wasn't really used to it, but you know, just going through that was really cool for the first time. That's a reason why I chose to come here. But it's just a different weather so m logan for me.
Speaker 8: I actually like it.
Speaker 9: Honestly. It's it's it's real calm. It's a calm city. It's not really too much to do, so it's it's a lot of focus.
Speaker 2: There's nothing to do here.
Speaker 9: Now it is stuff to do, but I'm saying it's not like from Dallas. I'm from Dallas, so from a big city, so like it's something to do everywhere, so kind of here it's kind of calm. It's kind of smaller. It's kind of just you more so, just growing. And it's like, I love your cold.
Speaker 2: I was gonna say, if you need things to do, I can.
Speaker 1: I can show you around and hang out, which could be a lot of fun.
Speaker 2: All Right, we have another question around.
Speaker 11: Hey guys, move man. Kobe Bryant Saws, Brian Cook obviously great players in the NFL. Have those guys come back at all since you've been here and interacted with you in the summer or given you any tips when they're back? I know some players come.
Speaker 8: Back, right.
Speaker 9: Actually, I got a chance to work out with Cook over the summer, so just obviously just talking to him and figuring out his story honestly, and just figuring out the tips that he gave me. It was actually a surreal moment. And I still keep up with him, so I mess with that. So that's the only one I got so far.
Speaker 2: I haven't seen them yet.
Speaker 1: Now have there been NFL guys or even college players that as you've been developing that either of you have tried to pattern your games after.
Speaker 8: Started?
Speaker 7: I really say, he don't play my position, but I grew up loving Odell Beckham. Okay, so just being like the playmaker, you know, making plays. Well, I say, for my my position, I love just Denzel Ward really because he's an athlete, you know, just athlete, just making plays. You know this technique, cover coverage skills.
Speaker 8: Right.
Speaker 7: I won't say I play like him, but I like how he play.
Speaker 8: I say, for me, it will be Tyran Matthew.
Speaker 9: He plays everywhere on the field, and I feel like me and him kind of got the same bottle of game, me and him like the same size and stuff.
Speaker 8: So that's that's one person I look up to the most.
Speaker 2: All right, we have one more. All right.
Speaker 12: I'm a student like you, guys. My question to you is what do you look for? Like when you're in the transfer portal and you're looking into other programs, what like what do you look for and and like what what matters the most to you and you're deciding what team to go to.
Speaker 2: And what's your.
Speaker 9: Well, my major was kinesiology. I get my Masters and Sports administration in December.
Speaker 2: Wow, very good man.
Speaker 7: Fat, I'm in interdispilsinary studies. It's basically just like general studies.
Speaker 2: Nice.
Speaker 1: I can't spell kinesiology, so it seems like I was a communications major. So to spell anything would be would be a triumph. We have one more break to get in seven minutes away from nine o'clock. Matthew McDoom and Logan Wilson our guest. It's the Scott Sanderfield Radio Show on seven hundred w l W