Speaker 1: Do want to be an Americano.
Speaker 2: Here we go, come before the storm, so to speak, so to speak slowly on seven hundred wls winter weather starts to move in. Got till tonight, then all hall is going to break loose. So between now and then, it's me and you this morning. And one of the topics of interest today, at least that I found interesting, is the end of dual citizenship in America. I don't actually have the numbers in front of you. Probably if I were better at my job, i'd looked that up. But anyway, Bernie Moreno, our own Bernie Moreno, has proposed the Exclusive Citizenship Act of twenty twenty five, and it literally is ignited one of the most explosive civil liberities debates in a long time. So dual citizenship is fully legal right now, but the bill threatens to force millions of Americans into a one year ultimatum. So you'd have to make up your mind, and that is to abandon your US passport and lose your citizenship automatically. You've choose one team or the other. No more dual citizens in the United States. And we'll get how that works in just a second here, But first on the show is Augustina Virgara Seed. On the show, she writes with the Hill on RCPs, I'll say a young voice is senior contributor Augustina, good morning, how are you?
Speaker 3: Good morning, Scott, Thank you so much for having me.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I got you. So let's just jump in. Let me run down the list and kind of the people aren't following this. You may not be following this entirely. So here's what we had to do. Correct me if I'm wrong, if I miss anything here too, It'd be unlawful to hold US citizenship and any foreign citizenship at the same time, and it'd take one hundred and take effect one hundred and eighty days after enactment. So for future citizens, basically what happened is anybody who voluntary acquires foreign citizenship after the effective date automatically loses their US citizenship, and you would obtain a new foreign passport would also lose your US citizenship if you're a current dual citizen. There's a one year deadline, so within one year of enactment, you have to choose a renounce your foreign citizenship to the State Department or be renounce your US citizenship to department of homeland security. And if you don't choose, then you by default will give up your US citizenship. So anyone who is born with a dual nationality, naturalized US citizens, who retained original citizenship, Americans abroad who required foreign nationality through marriage or dissent or naturalization, that's what's in play here. Did I miss anything important? Those all the facets of this.
Speaker 3: Yeah, that's essentially what the BLOW is trying to do.
Speaker 2: Yes, could you tell us why? I mean, I get immigration, I understand that, I understand that there's a concerned about who's in our country. We need to know who that is. But and I suppose that there's a concern that someone who holds citizenship from China or Russia could be working in sensitive US positions would be an example. I think that's a valid worry. But why aren't we addressing it in that fashion as opposed to just a blanket uster them philosophy.
Speaker 3: Yeah, so it's a good question why this is allegedly needed or and why. Now I read the bill, and the bill does not have any really substantial destination of why this is needed. So the build friends dual citizenship as a potential source of alleged conflicts of interest or divided loyalties, but the bill never defines what that means. Those are essentially just buzzwords that really, if without any sort of inclination, really don't mean much. So I think that really this is a solutional search for a problem. I don't think that dual citizenship of multiple citizenship in America is a problem that needs Congress to step in and fix. Really, dual citizenship does not represent a threat of any kind. And people who call dual citizenship, by myself from one such person, I do not have any sort of do not represent a thread or anything into a America. But you just said that, Okay, maybe there might be you know, sensitive positions that require that someone being native born, like, for example, a constitution mandage that a person who is naturalized cannot become pressed in the United States, or you know that requires really you know, that that person has only one citizenship. And okay, that's great, let's address those positions specifically. But there's really no reason to try to impose only one citizenship on the rest of Americans.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and if you're worried about you know, spying, and that's what this is, you know, maybe that would prevent that summer, I think you're still going to wind up getting you know, sources and the like. I mean, look at how many people have committed to reason who are naturally born US citizens don't hold those those and there are US citizens they are born here, their families here, who have committed these types of crimes in the past. So that doesn't seem to be good indicator if it's a national security issue.
Speaker 3: Yeah, absolutely, there's really no This is not a threat. And like when I judge bills and laws like, I think they should pass one big test, which is does this bill or this no do they protect the visual rights? Like if there a need to pass this bill in order to protect the visual rights as or constitution mand made. If the answer is no, then we have a problem. And I really don't think that this bill is protecting anyone's in the visual rights because there's really no threat from holding multiple citizenships.
Speaker 2: Right, the fourteenth Amendment is pretty clear anyone born in the US as a citizen. We'd have to change if someone's born in America, say to I don't know of Canadian parents. Does Canada automatically confer citizenship at birth? And how can Congress force that person to choose without violating birthright citizenship. That's that's going to be a tricky one to navigate.
Speaker 3: Yes, I think the bill postes many challenges in implementation, and I do think that it's a constitutional because of the Fourteenth Amendment, because what it asks, like you mentioned earlier, what it asked Americans to do is if they hold another citizenship, even if they are native born and they have American citizenship, because of the fourteenth Amendment that you mentioned, it's forcing them to choose, and if they don't choose, then their American citizenship is taken away, and that is not constitutional. You cannot take citizenship away from a native born American a lex e commit tritism, which not choosing a citizenship is not an act of treason. I think for instance of like you said that people who have who are native born Americans and who have dual citizenship because of their parents who might be from another country. I always think of this example. There's a you know, am rat and Brown, the wide receiver from the Detroit Lions. He has dual citizenship. He's American and he's German because his mother is German. So we're asking Amaranth and Brown and millions of other Americans who are native born to choose nationality for really no reason, because it does not pose any sort of stress. They do not post any sort of threat to America, and I'm not violating anyone's individual rights.
Speaker 2: I wonder how this is going to work, Augustina with there's countries like for example, Ireland, Italy, in Israel in particular, that actively encourage Americans to claim citizenship because of their ancestry because of a Jewish law. This would essentially then force those Americans to reject those ties. We know that the ties and the support that this administration gives Israel, that's not a good look. Or do they just say, well, unless you're from Israel, it's a different story. Which take it very well, and it just waters down the intent, whatever intent that is of this particular proposal.
Speaker 3: Yes, that's one of the many reasons why I think this is really not going to work, including because look, for example, I become an American this year, in July of this year, and I could talk half an hour about what that means to me and whylusively or my life to be an American. But if I had to choose between my two nationalities. I can't because I am originally from Argentina and Argentina does not renounce the citizenship because I was born there. So that would mean like if this bill were to pass, that would mean that I would have to give up being an American because my country of birth, which I didn't choose, does not allow me to renounce my citizenship. And how is that fair? Like I worked for decades to become an American, and I'm a proud American, and I took a note of allegiance to this country. Why would someone want to take that away from me? And I have literally no choice. And there are other countries that also don't allow the renunciation of theirs of the citizenship. I think Costa Rica is one such country. And those people like me would have absolutely no option. And there's people who have ties to other countries Israel or whatever other country, and there is no reason to make them choose. Plenty of reasons why people would hold multiple citizenships because they were born there, because of coosural ties, because of tax reasons, sometimes because they are American and their spouse and they live abroad with their spouse, and they for several reasons referred to have that citizenship as well, and there's really no reason to make them choose.
Speaker 2: Augustina Virgara Seed on the show She Reach to the Hill RCP, is a young voice of Senior contributor and talking about Senator Bernie Moreno's exclusive Citizenship app a citizenship Act of twenty twenty five that essentially would divide Americans a sense that if you hold dual citizenship here, you have to renounce one of those, either with us or against US. I guess as the mindset here, but you're talking, I mean little millions of millions of people like yourself that hold dual citizenship, and it's probably difficult enough for you. But you recently became a citizen of the country. I've seen it. Why Why the hell would you want to come here?
Speaker 3: Why wouldn't I? I could, I could say so much about this, but essentially, I've been in love with America and America's promise and what American represents since I basically first became aware of the existence of America when I was a little kid, and growing up, I realized that America is special. America is different from any other countries. America is different from the country where I was born and the values. Growing up, I started studying American history and American political philosophy, and I realized what an incredible achievement the American Founding was historically philosophically, it truly is unique in human history. And that is not just an abstract idea. That is something that we see reflected in the freedoms that we enjoy every day. America is literally, and I don't want and I say this knowing the full meaning of it. America is literally the best most moral country in the world in Founding principles, and I wanted to be part of that. I wanted to live here and enjoy the freedoms that our amazing Founding values allows us to have. And truly, I am so so proud of in America. And it's only an honor.
Speaker 2: And I would think that that sediment you just so articularly describe describes a lot of people who hold dual citizenships. And I'm sure someone's listening right now. And the case you just made for becoming in America, which is a difficult thing. It takes a tremendous amount of effort. We're just born to do it. You had to work to get here. I don't know how we could tell someone like you.
Speaker 3: No, yeah, I know that, you know, maybe not everybody has studied in detail the political philosophy the United States, but you know, in an inclusive manner, they do. I know so many people who are either immigrants to America or that are naturalized citizens, and they do love this country so much, and they do value the freedom that we have, and this is their country that they actually chose immignate into America, as I'm sure that many people at this point. No, it's not easy to do. It's really really hard to do it. It's really hard to do legally, which you know is the only path to becoming a citizen. And we go through all that trouble because we really really value this country. This country is worth it. So yeah, it's really unfair, I think, to you know, to impose this very onerous requirement on people like me who truly love this country.
Speaker 2: Yeah. And the other thing, too is the practical implementation. I mean, okay, it gives you, if this is an acted in past, it gives people like yourself to those citizens, one year to pick the United States or the country you also hold citizenship in. But I mean, how do you even do this administratively? It's not like we have a comprehensive database of people who hold foreign citizenship and the light we know you have a you know, your old status here, But I mean, how do you even go through the notification Prouz?
Speaker 3: It seems impossible, yes, including because there is no registry of who olds the world citizenship for multiple citizenship in America, So how are we going to know? And yeah, it would be a bureaucratic nightmare to do that, and it would be so expensive, it will require so many resources, touch player money in order to just exclude people who for whatever reason can't make a choice like myself or just for whatever reason do not want to make a choice. But they are just as American as anybody else.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and you're talking about a sizeable amount of the other element here too, is that. Okay, let's say maybe you want to Agustina. You go, okay, I'll be in America. I'm going to renounce my Argentinian citizenship. You renounce that, But what if the foreign country is simply refused to process that or just it's like okay, well fine you want to announce. It's going to cost you I don't know two hundred thousand dollars to do that, or it just takes a lot longer than a year for them to process all that stuff. With this, you can lose your US citizenship. There's no fault here on I mean sure, that's a pretty big do process violation. I would think would you agree.
Speaker 3: Yes, absolutely agree with that because the status of the other citizenship has nothing to do with whatever the US government decides decides to do. And like in the case of like, like I said, like myself, I literally cannot legally renounce my citizenship because Argentina does not allow it. I will never stop being in Argentinian even if I try, because it is illegal. I literally cannot legally renounce the citizenship. So what do we do there? Should I these trips with my citizenship because of you know, the Argentinia law and I never chose to be born there. That's that's not right. And yeah, like you said, it can take a long time to you know, renownce some some other country citizenship, and it might be really expensive and there might be you know, may require you to go there. Like there's so many things that can happen that you know, it's not a straightforward process and that one year deadline is really just not going to work.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I went down think here, because you're talking about millions of people here too and trying to have them process that would be extremely difficult, I think in a lot of these cases. So how much of this, then, Augustine, do you think this is actually? Is this just political posturing? Is this his bluster? And I mean Bernie Marina proposes this, but does he actually think it as a chance of passing or just does it to offer I guess the core a gesture of saying, hey, I'm getting tough on immigrants here in the United States. It doesn't seem like, you know, there's a big movement to get this pass. But along all the details we just laid out and probably countless more make it feel like it's an impossibility. Is this just posturing?
Speaker 3: I think there has to be some of that, because, like I said, I read the bill. There's really four pages and that's not a lot. And I don't think honestly, when I read the bill, I was expecting to find, you know, a long explanation why we need this. I was expecting to find a longer explanation of how is this actually going to work, the build laxing details, and that makes me think that there is not a lot of effort put into actually trying to make this to persuade uh, you know, the Congress to pass this bill. So and I know there's obviously there's going to be if this bill is debated, there's going to be like a whole debate and they're going to explain what it's about. But like, I don't see it as a genuine effort to solve a problem because there is no such problem. Like I said, I think this also comes at a time where immigration is a it's a hot topic. Obviously there is you know a lot of nationalism and rejection of anything foreign, including people. And it comes also at a time whereas alconom administration has been also weaponizing not a citizenship as well. You know, they have threatened some people, including el Mask himself, from you know, you know, away their citizenship. So it's I think a way of playing into this nationalism that is an a vogue in unfortunate in America right now. And I really, I really think I think this is really awful because even if it doesn't pass, but it will not pass, I can guarantee you that this is scaring a lot of people. I have gotten so many messages from people saying, Hey, am I going to have to renounce my US city? What's going what's going on? I don't know what to do. It's really scaring people. And some of the media also, you know, does not do not help because they frame it in a way as if sties were a fact. But this is just a bill. But yeah, it's scaring a lot of people. And I don't I think it's actually introducing this debate right now. It's actually a disservice.
Speaker 2: I agree, I agree with. I guess it's it's politics is worse in my opinion, it's just more posturing with no intent of actually anything passed. But it's a gesture to whom I don't know. But I think the country is better people like yourself, you know, provided your you're paying taxes, you're working, you're educated, you're contributing. That's what we need. I gotta go. I appreciate the time. Augustina Vergara Seed from the Hill and RCP and Young Voices, thanks again, thank you so much, appreciate it. Let me get a news update, and of course we get the weather. We'll get the latest timelines out for you here just seconds away, slowly seven hundred ww go but to day here slowey seven hundred w welw ready to go. Snow on the way again. That winter weather advisory kicks in at seven o'clock to night tonight and then two to four plus overnight, and then it ends at ten o'clock tomorrow, and then we get a break Friday night, and then Saturday we get more snow. So it's just gotta come and come and come. Here we go, Here we go. You're going if you're going to the game on Sunday, better dress and a layer. I didn't know the layers would be accurate. You need a cocoon if you're going to be out in that stuff. Anyway, we got football on Sunday, and I'm also speaking of football, absolutely got the popcorn out. What's going on in Michigan or showing Moore their head coat? Coach fired late yesterday, so in the morning he's game planning for a bowl game. I don't care, bleu. And then he finds out he's fired late in the afternoon, and at around four o'clock he picks up a he goes to I guess an assistant coaches. I think it's an assistant coaches home and holds a knife to him. Later, Moore is arrested by police. He's in custody. So at four forty three is when Michigan announced that he is no longer the head coach because there's some interdisciplinary things going and he's a history of getting jammed up in situations spygape in one of them, but also allegedly involved with a subordinate. Now he's married and has three daughters. Also, if you follow this, look at social media guys like guy liking all these instagram and now, which is fine, but also OnlyFans models, which is you know, amateur porn. Basically, this wasn't a flag until after they lose to Ohis get throttled by Ohio State, and now you're out of the bowl games. Of course you have the signing period everything else, like now it's like, well, we concluded our investigation and found those guys dirty. But I will say, and if you're an Ohio State Buckeye fan, you're probably still smiling from the big win over Michigan. Maybe not so much from what happened with Indiana, but nonetheless you're still smiling to some degree about that. This probably puts a little more bounce at your step. Now, you don't No one was killed on when it was hurt. It was like one of those cases. Isn't like what happened with Penn State with Paterna, right, This is just someone who can't control himself. Apparently how he rose the level and they dad didn't know about a lot of this stuff as it was going on too, because he's had more than one scandal associated with his name. So you know, just watching this whole thing develop, it's going to be you know, get the popcorn out, Get the popcorn out for sure, something else. Speaking of getting the popcorn out, this case, this fascinates me. And this is certainly more tragic. So he had this thirty five year old man from California who died aboard the Royal Caribbean Navigator of the Seas last December last year. Now it's come out that he was served at least thirty three alcoholic drinks in a matter of hours while showing obvious signs of intoxication. And so while intoxicated, he got lost trying to find his cabin and became agitated there's video of him trying to kick the door into a I don't know one of the burths. Security actually had to tackle him and subdue him because he's a big dude with their full body weight. Had to use multiple cans of pepper spray on him and he subsequently died in the care of Royal Caribbean staff.
Speaker 3: Well.
Speaker 2: Of course, Royal Caribbean is now at the end at a very very impressive lawsuit by the family and the estate because they deliberately market all you can Drink beverage packages and these they said they have bars in every nook and craney to encourage drinking. Is that's why you can't have nice stuff, because some thirty five year old a hole drinks so much damn alcohol that he's out of control on vacas. He has All you Can Drink package and this is the fault of Royal Caribbean. So in the future, I'm sure there'll be guidelines in place to make sure you can't have a good time on vacation. I don't think I've ever put thirty three drinks down in anyone sitting. That is a world record right there. And you don't wake up and do that. By the way, otherwise you'd be dead. I'm sure he's This guy has been doing that for some time in the build up here to his death, his tragic passing. Still though, and I get it that there's a liability issue on the part of the server. They should know better, But like, I don't know. You're on vacation. There's vacation drunk, right, there's vacation. You want to go and hey, I've got I bought the package LFG. Let's go drink some drinks. But by the time you're thirty five years old, you know around that that's when you stay. You know, by the time you're thirty even not even out of your thirties, you realize like, okay, this is my maximum could pass for alcohol. The tank is full. You know where you're lying, you know where the throw up line is. Now you may dabble in that at some point, you know, in your thirties, and go, ah, a little too much, but by then you kind of know what your limits of alcohol intake hour, and you know it's like it's so miserable being sick from drinking that much that you don't want to go through it again. By thirty five, you should know better. I also point out that a lot of these laws when it comes to being overserved, tend to deal more with drunk driving, right because you know you're drinking dry you getting a car you dry? Do you really have that problem in the high seas? I mean you drink so much that you can't possibly find your room on a cruise ship, which I have. My first cruise was last year, and it was pretty remarkable. Actually I liked it. I was never a big fan of it because while guys like this and you know, floating peatradishes and everything else, I'm like, yeah, I'm good, but yeah, I did one. It was a virgin cruise. It was really really good. It was impressive for my brother's birthday. So it was his decision. I blame him. But it was a good time and open bar the whole thing. But you know, it's like, hey, I'm pretty drunk. I think I'm gonna go lay down, or I'm like maybe I'll stop some water right now, get some food, and then go ninety nine and then do it all over again tomorrow. But most people, that's what vacation is. You get a guy like this, it's just gonna screw it up for that. For everyone else. So what are you gonna get rid the unlimited drink packages now because of this guy? Of course you are. It's like, it's just it's you know, you get one guy that can't handle his business and it's everyone else's problem. Look, I get the fact. Okay, can you serve this guy and have him drinking? No kalma, I suppose you could, but I don't know if this one for me. It feels like the liability is one hundred percent on the guy who drank. It's like then they weren't spiking his cocktails, you know how much else At thirty you can see you make a case if you know the kid's underage, or hey you're only twenty one something along those lines, eh, but past time you're thirty five. Like I look at that, going, yeah, you know, you're grown ass man. You gotta know better, you gotta know what your limits are. But you're gonna drink that much on a cruise ship because you bought the package and you're gonna show them who's bass. Probably didn't say anything with a buffet, but the buffet doesn't usually kill people, although maybe I don't know. In the future, if you're a big fan of buffets and the like and all you can eat scenarios, and let's say you do a lot of it. I don't know. Is there a precedent set here by this case that you could then go back and go, hey, listen, you know all those years that I was on a first name basis with the servers and the bus boys at the buffet, Well, I have congestive heart failure. In ours, there's although eating as much as I possibly could. So you know that's not my fault. Now, that's the buffet's fault. Whoever's making the foot I mean, or that just one step away from a lawsuit like that, in my opinion, I don't know. I like to be empathetic with people, and especially in tragedies like this. I gotta be honest with this. One's impossible for me. Like at a bar, when you go out it's drinking and driving. I get that there's a responsibility and part of the server to make sure you're not overserved, because you can get behind the wheel and kill someone. In this case, you overserve someone, you're just gonna kill yourself. So maybe some Darwin going on there as well. I get a news update in here momentarily on seven hundred Wow Winner return our buddy Sanjay Shaefick CARMANI a physician eer doctor as matter of fact, but also an expert in food and health. And that's where all those three worlds come together. We'll talk about stuff with them coming up next in our weekly fitness and health segment on the show. I promise we always make it for none of that pushy Here's what you need to eat avocados. You need to be more like Tom Brady. Screw that, I say, I'll be more like the guy who is who died on that ship going down with the ship and a bottle in my hand, Scott Sloan on the Home of the Best Bengals coverage seven hundred w otherbody, Cincinnatas.
Speaker 4: There you are listening to the Eddie and Rocky Show, when all of a sudden, two co workers start slugging it out over the last bag of funions in the snack machine, forcing you to miss part of our show.
Speaker 2: Eddie here with a solution.
Speaker 4: Listen to the podcast of the Eddie and Rocky Show and the iHeartRadio app date hear what you missed, and have the snack guy put some more damn funions in that machine.
Speaker 5: Oh, we're gonna be so late for the concert. We should be there by now. Just need to make a little detour and stop for gas real quick. I know what she plays down the road. Are you serious?
Speaker 1: We're going to miss the show because you're driving out of the way for cheaper gas. Just use Upside. What's upside? Upside is great. It's a free app that gets you cash back when you buy gas. Wait, you mean I can get money back just for buying gas?
Speaker 4: Really?
Speaker 2: Yep, and it really works. I've actually made around two hundred bucks this year already.
Speaker 1: Now pull over so you can download Upside before we miss the concert.
Speaker 2: Pulling over, you had me at two hundred dollars.
Speaker 6: Download the free Upside app now to earn cash back when you buy gas. Use promo code ring to get an extra twenty five cents per gallon on your first fill up. You can cash out anytime right to your bank or as a gift card. Download Upside and use promo code ring for a twenty five cents per gallon bonus on your first tank. That's code Ring for a twenty five cents per gallon bonus. Use Promo code Ring. Offers varied by user inlocation A participating merchants go to upside dot com for terms and conditions.
Speaker 7: Do you want to be an American?
Speaker 2: I love that on seven hundreds WLW immigration fights that we're needy thinks and lots of fights including into get illegals out, keep the legals ten. But who out of that long line gets in? Who stays? Maybe a better question of who is rather than maybe how many? And should the US admit them through reform and immigration system? Who should get in? At this point? Also adding to this, today we have Bernie Moreno or own Bernie Morener from Ohio, his proposals to end dual citizenship. You got to pick one or the other. You can't have both. So the Manhattan Institute their think tank, and they studied a ten and thirty year impacts of dozens of our nation's immigration policies over the years and categorize immigrants on tax revenue Federal spending GDP, population, who gives us a benefit? In who takes away? With the answers Daniel de Martino of the Manhattan and Suit where he's a fellow, Daniel, welcome to show. How are you very good?
Speaker 8: Thank you for having me?
Speaker 2: Yeah, so you find that if you're younger and you're educated, you have an advanced degree, those people generate large fiscal surpluses. They expand the economy. If you're low skilled, you tend to get more benefits than they contribute in taxes. That is the bottom line. And there's some other things we're going to get into here, but essentially that's the core of this thing. Is that's really that surprising.
Speaker 8: Is it?
Speaker 7: It is not because we have a progressive tax system and we have a welfare system that gives benefits to people based on how little they make.
Speaker 8: Right, So if you bring in a lot of.
Speaker 7: Four people or elderly people that will receive entitlements, then those people will be ennect cost to the federal government.
Speaker 8: That's a no brainer.
Speaker 2: So why does the college you're going to make such a vast efforence You're talking millions of dollars in that one person's financial impact, and of course the lodge. What's driving that gap?
Speaker 7: Yeah, a lot of people tell me, but you know, a college degree is and all you need, and like, of course these are all averages. This doesn't mean that there are aren't immigrants or high.
Speaker 8: School dropouts that do better.
Speaker 7: Right there are many college dropouts that create a big company, but that doesn't mean that that's the most.
Speaker 8: Common case, right.
Speaker 7: And you also have to understand that for immigrants, college degrees mean much more than for native born Americans. A college degree in a foreign country is a much rarer thing to have than in America. And so when you bring in people discriminating by education instead of anything else, you can assure yourself that that person.
Speaker 8: Comes from a much more eld background.
Speaker 2: But at the same time, you know, we have countless people who have college degrees that complain they can't find a job in their chosen field and they have a degree and go, okay, great, I can't service the loan that I took out to get that degree, and I'm doing something I don't want to do, and I never see myself getting ahead. And yet immigrants come to this country and succeed and contribute to the GDP. Is it about degree choice? Are we talking about specific degrees here and not just a degree?
Speaker 7: Well, it's true that immigrants do, you specialize, like the immigrants that are sponsored to come in fields that are even more highly paid, so like medicine, stam areas. And also they just have an even.
Speaker 8: Higher education and go to different universities.
Speaker 7: Right, So you know, people talk about like people who graduate from the US University's Americans who get an a STEM degree, but it's an underground degree, you know, that counts biology, that counts like a regular engineering degree. And if you're competing against people who have a master's degree or a PhD, I mean, obviously you can't get the job that you want. And then you also have the other fact, which is inmigrant start businesses, so they expand the economy that way, the average immigrant does not look like the average person in that country. And then there's a lot of people who tell me, well, they but we want to keep those jobs for Americans, right, like we don't want them to replace the native born college graduates who are seeking opportunities. And that's just not how the labor market works. When you have more people in the labor market, you don't have the same number of jobs. There are relative wage effects, that is true, but because immigrants also you know, at the highly educated level, you know, people like you look Musk who came on a twenty visis or people like Jensen Huang, they end up also increasing productivity and wages for people who are college educated.
Speaker 2: Dan, you found it. The fifty year old immigrant looks great for the budget in year ten, so they immigrant by the time they say, okay, thanks for great to productive, but by year thirty it's terrible. Child immigrant the exact opposite. It tends to be a net gain for this country. So in that regard, shouldn't we be encouraging things like doc and can you walk? Can you walk through us?
Speaker 9: Well?
Speaker 2: Why that that flip happens?
Speaker 7: Yeah, So I did these estimates on a ten and thirty year basis before I have done them last year on a lifetime basis. And the reason I switched to ten in thirty years is because of Congress. When they pass legislation, the Congressional Budget Office only cares about the ten year budget window and then secondarily.
Speaker 8: About the thirty year budget window.
Speaker 7: So when they're deciding to park legislation.
Speaker 8: They need this estimates like I made it.
Speaker 7: And so that's a problem though, because you're right, a fifty year old immigrant on an average will look good over the next ten years, because it's going to be from the age of fifty to age of sixty. And I'm an immigrant who is ten years old. A child that comes with a family is going to look bad because it's not when I work from age ten to twenty. So that shifts over the third year window because then the older immigrant is going to collect security and Medicare and the young emion.
Speaker 8: Is going to start working.
Speaker 7: So people need to keep that in mind and understand these are averages and if you want to benefit the budget in the long run, you need younger people and you need more educated people.
Speaker 2: To Danield Martina Manhattan Institute breaking a study here of ten and thirty year impacts of immigration, and the bottom line is that education drives cyscal impact, but age matters a lot too, that young immigrants look costly in the short term but benefits in the long term. Middle aged immigrants show the opposite because they get the retirement benefits, and that the flip that's going on here. Let me pivot to the H one visa debate that has become pretty controversial right with wanting to charge money and charging literally a small fortune to get that H one B. Some say it's essential or they say, well, we should just eliminate this thing. What is your data show?
Speaker 7: Well, the H one B, regardless of what people think, they based on the characteristics of the people who come on H one ds, they are the ones that pay the most taxes and receive the least government benefits of any desa category. And so if you are a conservative and you're like like myself and think, you know, what kind of immigrant do you want to come to America? Do you want an immigrant who does not depend on the government, who speaks English, who have a job, who there's not coming crimes, and who you know, adopts American customs. And if that's the case, then immigrants to come on H one visas are an imedial immigrant. That doesn't mean that it's a perfect system.
Speaker 8: Right, it's a lottery.
Speaker 7: So you don't want to distribute the spot on a lottery but instead based on perhaps something more meritorious. But even then the system is better than any other visa problem that we have.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I see a lot of communities are changing because of H one B workers and they bring a tremendous amount of money to the show. Now the other side of this, and someone casual listening go, Okay, you got this guy from Manhattan and Daniel de Martino who wants educated people with advanced degrees because they bring a small fortune and massive fortune and even small fortune to the country, could help balance the deficit and do all these wonderful things. They don't drain the system, and they're paying the taxes, and that's helping older people. And that's all well and good. But does this simply mean that we don't need anyone who's not educated in America, We don't need that immigrant labor, that we don't need people at the low end of the trump.
Speaker 7: Well, America has a program called the H two A and the H two V VISA programs. The H two A is seasonal agricultural labor. Now, even though those are on you know people who generally don't have a high school diploma that are working in farms for low wages. The reality is that we didn't have them, the farms would shut down. It would be too expensive to farm in America. We would just import the food from other countries. But we cannot import everything like we cannot import a hair card because you have to do it in person. But we can import every agricultural product. So the advantage is that, yes, you keep that industry here, you create jobs for Americans and agriculture as well.
Speaker 8: And then the second it's seasonal. So these immigrants never stay.
Speaker 7: They leave after a season or two, and so they never collect government benefits. That is okay to have. What you cannot have is allowing people who make very little money to immigrate permanently to the United States, because if they do, the math is that they will simply grower debt.
Speaker 2: Well, I get the agriculture element, because that's a national security issue. We can't farm out all of our food. We could be starved to death, right and quite honestly, it'd be a waste because of we're the world's bread basket here in the United States of America, produce a lot of corn, soybeing et cetera, et cetera. But on the regard that there's jobs that aren't in the farm fields whatsoever, that are Americans going to fill that void? I mean working in a I don't know, a meat processing plant, for example, or something along those lines, where it's physical labor, building houses work, doing roof jobs and construction and dry wall and landscaping. Those are necessary jobs, it seemingly, and I know a little bit about this immigrant labor. If you completely got rid of that, it ceased to exist. I get that they you know, they live here, but they a lot of them go and start their own business too. There's got to be a carve out for that, right because let's face it, there are jobs out there we don't want our kids to take well.
Speaker 7: So the thing is that we just would change, even in agriculture would change if you didn't have immigrant workers, then we just would increase. The problem is that for them cultural industry, it would just end the industry, right that we were just import the food. But that's not the key and the same thing first for example tech, if we didn't have highly educated workers, what the tech industry has is that they opened in an office in Canada and then they do everything from there because everything's remote.
Speaker 8: So you would rather have those resources here.
Speaker 7: But the issue with other things like construction is that you would still have construction, it would just be at a higher price that even then, most of the cost of housing has nothing to do with construction and everything to do with materials. So you know, the tiers are harming or sony laws which we can change, so we don't really need or it wouldn't really be beneficial to have a lot of immigrants, low paid coming for construction because they will receive with just a lot of welfare. Alternatively, you could still have a guest worker program that is seasonal, ensuring that people go back and never stay permanently and collect entitlements.
Speaker 2: Dani and De Martino the Manhattan Institute on Immigration this morning on seven hundred WL do up. So we talked about younger educated immigrants and advanced degrees a huge boondad economy. We need more of them employment based high skilled visa holders net benefit there as well. What about extended family.
Speaker 7: Yeah, the extended relatives, which are most of the immigrants coming to America. They come with very little English proficiency, you know, medium to low levels of education, and they end up receiving more government benefits than taxes they pay. This is why my proposal to how we should change the imigration system is simply we take in all these extended relative pieces and we just give them out based on whether immigrants have a good English, whether they have a good education, whether they're young, whether they.
Speaker 8: Have a job offer in the United States.
Speaker 7: And then that's how the labor market come through the gap, you know, without picking winners and losers. And then the employment based business that we already have who just ranking them to the highest paid instead without care of the profession. You know, it's not about education, it's about who pays the most. If you are sponsoring a carpenter who's like incredible and he's getting paid one hundred and fifty k, then bring in that carpenter, right, that's the market showing its signal through the price.
Speaker 2: Yeah, that makes sense that when the family comes along, it's different. But how many immigrants will that dissuade from coming to the United States if they can't bring their their wife, their kids, significant others. What are your mom or day.
Speaker 7: I'm not saying anything about wife and children. I'm just saying eliminate the sibling category, the adults children category, who together they bring in one hundred and thirty one thousand people. You might say, well then, but people want to bring in their siblings or their adults children, the religion that they can't anymore anyway because the system, the family system already existing is so backlog that it takes twenty years. It's the same of the didn't exist. We need to get rid of it and give it based from marriage instead. In fact, you seem it more fair because if you're an imaiger living in State of Philippines and you don't have a relative in the US.
Speaker 8: When you're out of lack, you can't come.
Speaker 7: And no matter how educated you that, no matter how great you are, under a system based on your characteristics, you are not dependent on the law of how in a relative in America you come to a minuit and.
Speaker 2: Am of that. You mentioned the backlog, the tremendous backlog which encourages illegal immigration here. I mean, if you have to wait twenty years, fifteen twenty years for your case of here and possibly get at that point, why wouldn't you if you're coming from such an impoverished and most dangerous part of the world, I take my chances and slip across the border, fire them. It's a matter between life and death. Who's got fifteen twenty years to wait for you're allowed to come to the United States of America. This would cut that down, I would it.
Speaker 7: Yes, I think I would reduce the incentive. But at the same time, we if I've learned that if the president wants to, they can secure the border. And President Tarump has also not necessarily as important.
Speaker 2: Yeah, we've got a government that can't function. I mean, we're not functioning right now as we speak. As you know, Danielle, what's the political feasibility of this thing? You have to do some tremendous coalition building just to have someone hear this whole thing between family visa cuts and legalization with fees and deportations and all that stuff. It's a messy proposition. In reality, politics doesn't work that way.
Speaker 7: So absolutely they're all saying President Trump with the funding that he got from the one big beautiful bill for deportations, and how that's drunk enough. And hopefully, you know, soon we will know what the legality of the DACAP program from the Supreme Courts. I think those two factors combine the fact that we already get done with the tax cuts and the spending debates and instead now it's probably going to go to another topic. Then that topic might be immigration. I think Trump has built leverage with the funding he got for the deportations. I mean, the Democrats were smart, and it would come to the negotiating table, right because you need sixty votes in the Senate to pass anything.
Speaker 8: Yeah, that's not budget related.
Speaker 7: So if the Democrats say, you know, we negotiate, we can legalize some people. Yes, the school will reduce finally immigration and we will bring in more high school immigrants.
Speaker 8: But if they.
Speaker 7: Don't negotiate, then maybe a million more people get deported. So we will know how much they really care about that very.
Speaker 2: Soon, Dana da Martini. You analyze this. You looked at ten and thirty year impacts of literally dozens of immigration policy US has had and categorizing the immigrants on tax revenue and population GDP, federal spending and all that. If this were to come to fruition and we did it the way you suggest here, what are we looking at as far as a savings relative to the national debt?
Speaker 7: Yeah, So under my plan, which would just shift immigrant research towards more highly educated categories with a chaining the immigrant flow very much, actually reducing it a little bit, and then legalizing the people who are here legally as long as they pay without wags to citizenship, but allowing them to work in state as long as they pay five thousand dollars a year for ten years of fifty k to reduce the debt and they obviously they are not criminals. All that that will reduce the national debt from its current trajectory by twenty trillion dollars over thirty years, it will reduce or essentially over the long run, it would even stabilize or debt to gdpuration. That is important because it means we don't to cut some security or raise access. We pursue radical immigration reform right now.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and the other element here too, of course is unauthorized legal immigrants. But you're saying, charging five thousand dollars a year for X number of years and that would reduce the debt and they're burden on the system. But how realistic is that to actually.
Speaker 7: Execute the people who don't pay it, Then they are the fine targets for deportation because it means that they're not willing to pay it under stealer of them.
Speaker 8: So they're much easier to the.
Speaker 2: Very interesting in that literally would take her. It's of course, you know, then we're back to the political questions because Democrats had scream about fairness and these people don't have much alriting and they can't afford five thousand dollars is to shake down. But you know, at the end of the day, we're all paying for this.
Speaker 7: Danield Martin, Yeah, America is not supposed to be the welfare.
Speaker 8: State of the world.
Speaker 7: Right if you do not sustain yourself. I'm baibish after you wrote the law. It seems like a really reasonable penalty that would benefit the nation.
Speaker 2: Seems like five grand to make this go away. Isn't that big an ass, I'll be honest with you. Daniel Dee Martino at the Manhattan Institute, thanks so much for the time. Really interesting. Thank you appreciate the time. Got to pivot, get to news. We have bad weather moving in. Give you the timeline and all the details in just seconds. Here on seven hundred w welw. Scott flowed back on seven hundred WW Thursday morning, got the weekend that ahead. Ready to shovel some snow starting tonight and early tomorrow morning and on. That is our resident eeer physician and expert when it comes to health and food and everything else at Sanja Schefercramani, Welcome, good to see you. I'm glad we're doing this today, not tomorrow. You wouldn't be here, would you.
Speaker 10: No, I'd probably make it through, but I would be here two hours from now.
Speaker 2: Wait and yeah, happy to be here today, So good to have you. I know there's a topic you want again I think there's interesting new data out there about how short bursts of physical activity are better for you in the long run, because normally you know this time of year and what I'm sure we'll get into this. You know what to look for in a gym membership and what you should be doing, and everyone has that, seemingly seventy two hours at the very least, usually going Okay, I got the new track suit, I got I got a phone, holdster, I got towels, I got matching shoes, I got a yoga man. Well, LFG, let's go, and then by day three you're like, the hell with this, it hurts too much, I'm out of here. It's exactly it.
Speaker 10: There's actually a quitting day, I think, if I remember correctly, it's like January nineteenth every year where the most number of people drop off their new habits. And it's it's just predictable because of that reason. Like you you get really excited and then it just.
Speaker 2: My overrider always was no matter. It's like it's, you know, whatever the sport is, whatever the exercise is, like it was always mouth Luther King Day, like MLKD. That's like right around there is to break even point. Like if you hang around after that, you're probably gonna be here for a while. Yep. But you just see so many people out the first couple of weeks. Just that's it totally goes hard. Man, it sucks.
Speaker 10: It is hard because you know, one it's changed too. It's a it's a great time of the year because it's a new start in new beginnings, and they've actually done studies on that as far as like beginning of a week, beginning of a month, that's when you want to start a new habit, or the beginning of a year as well.
Speaker 2: It just it feels like a new berth for you.
Speaker 10: But it is hard because it's changed ultimately, and our bodies and our minds don't like change. So you know, setting that up for success is the most important.
Speaker 2: And it takes, by the way, how long to develop for something to become a habit from a pattern to become a habit? Yea, it depends who you read.
Speaker 10: It's it's thirty days, ninety days, I mean, it all varies, but at least a month, if not three, to really make it a true habit is what I've what I've seen.
Speaker 2: Damn, I'm damn you're going on fifty years, so I'm trying to get stuck distance have it well, Akind've been trying to get it to change, and there's always tomorrow, Scott. All right, So you hear about you know, the guidelines for exercise, right, it's always been like I was, one hundred and fifty minutes a week, but that all depends on your age too, and a whole bunch of other factors, so it's never good just to take that one thing.
Speaker 10: Yeah, it's one hundred and fifty is like the golden number that everyone quotes, but it's kind of all over the place, and I'm sure that'll change in a year or two, and you know, like every other recommendation changes in health and wellness and everything. So but I mean long and short is it is important and not just a little bit here and there. But that's really where it's kind of the study and these studies come from as far as a little bit of activity, all.
Speaker 2: Right, el'se talk about that that this is about short bursts of activity, which means what so short bursts.
Speaker 10: Can be anywhere between thirty seconds and you know, two to four minutes, so a little bit at a time, a few time times a day, and that's where the studies are coming from. That's where you know, thinking about it. I went on a hike last weekend. It was like forty five degrees, which was lovely, and I could do three and a half miles and it was totally comfortable. But this weekend, you know what's coming. I mean, I think I just saw negative one for a low.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it's gonna be cold, yes, bitterally cold. You're not doing anthing outside.
Speaker 10: You're not doing anything outside. So getting seven thousand steps, you know it's not ten thousand anymore. You can do seven thousand, seven thousand steps sick. That's like three and a half miles, And so no, one's not many people are going to be able to even do that, even consider it, right, And so what's the alternate? I think when I when I think about the seven thousand steps cold, it seems intimidating. Three and a half miles walking a day is a lot. So I think my brain subconsciously says, well, I can't do three and a half. I won't do any at all. And that's where this whole burst of exercise comes from.
Speaker 2: Gotcha. So its like, well, if you get you know, you're even sixty minutes of exercise. Let's say in a work way, you should you could break that up into ten minutes here, five minutes here, eight minutes there. There's some validity that the studies, there's some validity.
Speaker 10: And so the long and short is if you can get your you know, lifting exercise and these little short bursts burst on, that is the optimal. Okay, if you get nothing done, obviously, that's the complete other end of the spectrum. And in between is you know, are are the short bursts okay? Or is just the lifts okay? Which one's better for you? And that's kind of in debate. But the way I see it is if you're lifting three times a day, doing some sort of strength training on the other days, as long as you're staying active, and that's that's the real question of what what does that look like? And that's what we'll talk about too. If you can do that, that's the optimal thing. Get one hundred and fifty minutes maybe in at the gym if you can. But if you can or if you can't, do these movement things that can even help. And it's a little bit that that does a lot of difference. Yeah, So like what, for example, would that be. Is it just like every day life walking up the stairs instead of the elevator, that kind of stuff. It can be, so you can you can do steps alone. What they're saying again, this is like thirty seconds to two minutes, So it's not a it's not a huge amount of time. It's not a tremendous amount of effort. And either a lot of people can do this. So you really want to get your heart rate up to like eighty percent of your maximal So yeah, you're talking about maybe like one thirty to one fifty beats per minute, and you're going to be actually healthier for it.
Speaker 2: So what does that look like?
Speaker 10: Thirty seconds to two minutes of push ups and you don't have to go all the all the way to the grounds.
Speaker 2: I know a lot of people have trouble with push ups, but.
Speaker 10: You can just lean up against a wall and push yourself back with your knees down or whatever, or put your knees down, or you know, lean up against the counter and just push yourself up from there from a diagonal ten to twenty of those in your golden you're good if you do a chair, a wall sit for example. So just like, act like there's a seat below you, but there's not. Lean your back up against the wall.
Speaker 2: Hold that.
Speaker 10: I mean that every second. It feels like a minute when you do that. But if you do, you know, fifteen to twenty seconds of that, that's also good again a few times a day and it adds up. And then you know, another thing you could do is just air squats, so you know, acting like there's a chair below you, you know, squatting down, standing up and doing that fifteen twenty times in a row or to two sets of ten real quick.
Speaker 2: That'll get the job done. As far as these studies go, you don't need a gym and a trainer and everything else. You could just do this as you see fit for this stuff.
Speaker 10: So they've given it a cute name, which is exercise snacking, which I fully approve of, okay, because I like snacking, and this is just the healthier version of it, I guess. But it's it's also known as VILPA, which is, let me see if I can get it right, vigorous intermittent lifestyle Physical electivity.
Speaker 2: Lord. Yeah, so we'll just call it exercise snacking as is. It sort of like the low level hit training basically high intent.
Speaker 10: That's exactly a perfect way to put stuff. Yeah, it's like low level hit. But the studies are actually pretty remarkable as far as the benefits of it. Long and short is, they did a study and it was it wasn't a small study, but it was in the UK twenty two thousand people and what they found was over an eight year time span, basically a fifty percent reduction immortality. And so you know, half of people that did this, or if you did this work versus people that were completely sedentary didn't move at all, fifty percent chance less of dying, so half you cut your rate of by half. And that also goes for major cardiac events so like heart attack, strokes, and that all goes together because of the benefits you see from this kind of really quick stuff. Again, just a few minutes a day makes a huge difference, especially if you're completely sedentary. Usually if you have a desk job nine to five, you're too tired at the end of the day and you don't do much. This is who it benefits the most, but it benefits everybody.
Speaker 2: And I think there's like a lot of conflicting knowledge. Again. Sanjay Shev Cremani in the show is a resident emergency room doctor. But also we're talking health and fitness on the show on Thursday mornings at this time. In this regard, you look at it going, all right, is it getting the heart rate up? Because you know, if you're doing resistance training, which you know, lifting whatever, you're generally not getting your heart rate up all that much. Does that all count the same?
Speaker 10: So it works a little bit differently, and so you know it's muscles versus the rest of your body. So lifting will work the muscles, but you know your heart as well. But the way I like to think of it as strength training helps you live better and then cardiac cardio training helps you live longer. That's an overly simplistic way to put it and makes sense. You know, there's a lot of overlap, but together their best. But if you can choose one, you know you can you can do that. The long and short is is that this is important. It's important to move around in addition to your strength training. We always talk about movement is medicine, but it's actually come across in the papers and so the way they think this works and the current thought is threefold. So what are the three main things cause heart attacks, high blood pressure, highcholesterol, diabetes, and so doing this kind of activity, short bursts at a time helps all three.
Speaker 2: Gotcha, Well, so does the medicine that we have for that. So I need to do any of this or just take more meds.
Speaker 10: That is a personal decision, son, I personally like, if I don't have to take medicine, I'd love to not take medicine. They have their time and their place. But if we can do stuff that can save us both money and putting medications into our body that we may not need, the better as far as I'm concerned.
Speaker 2: Yeah, tervis, satin's and eminem's go well and well together just makes a mess. Yeah, just don't get at It's fine now. Yeah, it is this kind of like the term is called functional training, which is maybe not a new thing, but basically, you know some of the moves that guys make in a gym. You look atky am, I really gonna need to, you know, flex my ear lobes for example, when in fact, you know, I just don't want to hurt myself putting this box on top of a high shelf and then be out of commission for a few you know what I'm talking about exactly.
Speaker 10: It's very much a why thing, like why am I doing this? Which is important to us at our gym as far as making sure you're doing the things that help you, you know, create a life that you love. And so what are the things that you'd love to do thirty years from now? It's hard for our brains to think about that. We like to think about the here and now, if not the yesterday, but thinking about where we want to be, whether it be for our kids, our grandkids, or our family when we grow up. You know, what kind of lifestyle do you want to live right now? You know, it was just three days ago I was stretching my arms above my head and all of a sudden, I tweaked my back like I literally just existing. I hurt myself, which unfortunate, but I think that actually kind of plays into that sedentary stuff. I've been not so mobile in the last couple of weeks, and that you know, it happens to everybody, it happens to me.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, fairly, I think.
Speaker 10: And still even then we can hurt ourselves, so it's best to keep it mobile again, even if it's just a little a little amount per day.
Speaker 2: Why does it hurts the older you get, the longer it takes to recover. It's the same thing, right, It's like, for example, a couple of weeks ago, I put my wife had knee surgery, so I'm like, wow, I put the chair hike toilets and I bought some nice one piece toilets. I'm like, and okay, this is you know, for the old age, and put them in our house and I put intil three and my back was killing me for a week. I could turn my head. I'm like, what the hell? I do this all the time, and all of a sudden, now just like the way to picking those up and do it myself is you know, you recover usually pretty quickly, and now you can't do that at all.
Speaker 10: Yeah, our bodies are really forgiving when we're twenty and thirty, both when it comes to eating and exercise, and once we hit you know, the thirties, that things just take longer to recover.
Speaker 2: It's just the way the.
Speaker 10: Cells work is the way all the partis exactly. It's it's all working differently, and we didn't have to live this long back in the day, like when we were cavemen. You know, our purpose was to live to probably twenty five and thirty, and then you know now that we're living triple that things will break down.
Speaker 2: Because you're an old man for it. You're an old man. It's probably dead by thirty. Is like old age in the back in the day. I get Fortunately, I'm only twenty three. Yeah, I wish right, which is like when you see a toddler throw a hissy fit and roll and contort their body on the ground and put their head behind their knee cap. You're like, oh my god, you're gonna tear your a cl Now you're not. No, they're made of rubber. Yeah, you're made of rubber. At that fast, all right, So get your exercise in again. You can do it in a short bursts throughout the day. It's probably the best way to do it, like eating right, if you have small meals throughout the day. This is exercise snacking.
Speaker 10: It's what small amounts, don't you know? You don't have to overdo it so you don't have to go to it like a pain level. And then the last part is that the really cool part about this stuff, the VILPA or exercise snacking, is they found that there was an eighty percent adherence for people that did this as opposed to any other training regiment. Right, like you just said it was work New Year's stuff, it all falls off. I think there's only like fifteen percentage here comes to New Year's resolutions eighty percent because it's it's doable, I would I would recommend, though, if you're gonna do something, tie it into something you're already doing. If you're like you mentioned the stairs, Uh, go up the stairs a little foster, got that heart rate up. If you're you know, going to the fridge for a snack, for example, that's the time. Maybe say I'll do twenty counter push ups right now, you know, just get those in every couple hours if you're if you're at work or at the end of a meeting, just do ten quick air squads.
Speaker 2: If you've every hour, going to go in the bathroom office would probably be better than the middle of the or just get the whole office a joint make it a group activity. That's that they've also found that Japanese workplace or something their calisthetics in the morning. He's son Jay Sheva Cramani's our ear doctor, also a health fitness We talk all on Thursday night I appreciate you, buddy. Thanks. You got to get news in the next seven hundred W.
Speaker 6: You want to be American, it's got a flung show on seven hundred w LW.
Speaker 2: Was Rodney Hiddon legally insane at the time he took this car in deliberately and intentionally plowed into Deputy Larry Henderson in front of you c killing him instantly in a reaction, of course, to his son Ryan getting shot and justifiably sold by Cincinnati police brandishing the firearm. Horrible story and probably one of the stories, no doubt, of the decade. And it's just a terrible thing. But yesterday in court, Rodney Hitton had a confidence hearing. He had a hearing yesterday and they had an expert testify for the defense here court appointed psychiatrist with their news experience, saying that he meets Ohio law requirements to take the death penalty off of consideration because he was diagnosed with bipolar order bipolar disorder rather two years ago and prescribed antipsychotic medication. Is that enough for him to escape what we consider the ultimate justice, and that is the death penal in Ohio for deliberately murdering Larry Henderson on the show once again is attorney Jason Phillibaum, former Commy prosecutor, now in private practice and defense. Jason, welcome back. How you doing, good morning? Doing well? Thank you. Yeah, it's a topic we're going to talk about a lot because we hear about NNGRI as you call it in the profession, not guilty for reason of insanity, And yesterday's hearing was just that it was kind of preliminary, right, So take us through what happened yesterday and you hear this information. Oh my god. There you had an expert testify that he has a mental issue and he may go to prison the rest of his life, but he won't face the death penalty. That was just a very small sample of the experts that are going to testify. Correct.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 11: Essentially, your question is about two weeks long when they trained the death penalty attorneys to get ready for a death penalty case. Because there's three stages of the case, and we're in stage one where the judge is trying to decide what's allowed the plea or is he going to trial things of that nature. So her first question in that first prong is is he competent? To stand trial. Does he know what's going on? Essentially, the second question is is the defense able to present a plea not guilty by reason of insanity? Is there enough information out there that will allow the defense to ask, you know, tell that to the jury. And the third question she's going to be answering before the trial starts. Is the state eligible to apply to death fun league. And so to get to your first question, is he confident? I think that she's going to find him confident, you know, just you know, the the allegation is he kind of lost his mind that day, but the overall allegation hasn't been he doesn't know what's going on. So I think at the end of the day she's going to find him confident. But then that leads to the second question is is the not guilty by reason of the sanity and to be allowed to be presented in front of the jury.
Speaker 2: And there are four mental illnesses that in Ohio can remove the death penalty eligibility statute, so schizophrenia, schitzo effective disorder, dilusional disorder, and bipolar disorder. So that is definitely a bonafid illness that would exempt him from the death penalty. However, he had a quarter pointed psychiatrist saying he met the requirements. As we pointed out, how much weight does a judge typically give to someone and I'm assuming that that person is neutral because it's court appointed. Correct.
Speaker 11: Yes, Essentially, they do a quarter pointed psychologist to give an analysis and then if one party doesn't like it, they go get their own effort, and then typically the other party will then go get another expert. And that's what you had in this case. Now, what we didn't see was the second prong of that question, because that's.
Speaker 2: Going to be sort of a hearing that's set up for January.
Speaker 11: But is he eligible to face the death punty under Hyle's new law that says, if you have one of those four mental health issues, you may not be eligible for the death pune. There is the second prong there, and that says, is the ill them significantly impairing their ability to conform to the law or essentially know the wrongfulness of their conduct. So, in other words, if you have bipolar disorder, that doesn't necessarily say you can't be put to.
Speaker 2: Death for a crime.
Speaker 11: You have to have bipolar disorder and it has to be significant and it has to incur and so on. So I think all she did yesterday and she specifically said that all I'm talking about is Prong one. Yes, I think he needs these, these the criteria for bipolar disorder. She did not get into the Prong two yet, which I think is going to be a January hearing.
Speaker 2: Yeah. Yeah, And you look at that and go, okay, well, how much is that documented medical history matter versus the question whether he was in acute psychiatric crisis at the moment he decided to kill Deputy Henderson.
Speaker 11: Yeah, And I think I personally think that should be an issue left up to the jury, and I think that's what you're going to see here. But so these preliminary hearings are basically her the judge, saying, I'm going to allow the jury to hear and see this, and I'm going to allow the jury to decide that. That's all she's deciding right now. Then we get to a trial and then they determine whether he's guilty or not guilty by reason of insanity. If he's not guilty by reason of infanity, case is over. But if he's found guilty, then they get to the death penalty phase, and at that point, he's going to argue he's not eligible, and the defense is going to argue that he has enough mitigating factors that it should be facing the death finely. And so I think the biggest question she's going to have to answer between now and the trial is is she going to allow the jury to hear the death penalty argument? And will she allow the jury to consider that. I think that's going to be the biggest question mark between now and the trial.
Speaker 2: How much more evidence will judge Lober's here to make their mind up on that.
Speaker 11: She's going to hear the psychologists from the States, and then she's going to probably hear the third psychologists that's the defense personally hired as well, So she's going to hear from all three. But this sort of gets me to the example of NFL football. You know, you've seen you watch games on Sunday, there's a fumble, someone runs it back to the you know, end zone, and here it is the referee blew the whistle dead right, So they've been basically saying let it, let it play out, and then if if you're wrong about the fumble, instant replay can correct it. But if you blow the whistle dead too early, then you can't you can't fix that, And so I think what ultimately she'll do is she'll probably let the jury decide everything because if she's wrong about that, if she's wrong and it should have never went to the jury, the Quarter of Appeals can fix it through replay. But if she cuts it off now, the death kind of is off the table forever.
Speaker 2: You can't bring that back later.
Speaker 11: So I'm guessing she's going to air on the side of unless there's something, you know, across the board everyone agrees on, I'm going to allow the court to or the jury to hear the deskboy argument.
Speaker 2: Our legal expert Chason Phillibaum on the show talking about Roddy Hinton, your father Hitton, who struck and killed intentionally. It appears Deputy Larry Henderson, and there's no doubt about it that this is the guy and he did what he did. But now claiming that he has a significant defense not guilty by reason of insanity is the a plea he changed it to yesterday a court appointed psychiatrists. So someone allegedly neutral sits down and analyzes him and says, yes, he suffers from bipolar disorder, and that is a one of the four ways you can get out of the death penalty, not a life sentence, but the death penalty. But again, as Jason pointed out, it's a two pronged test here. Does he have a serious mental illness at the time of defense past mental state is what that's called, And the answer, of course would be yes. The second phase of that, though, and this is the difficult hurdle for the defense, is his compety to san trial maining. Does he understand the proceedings against him? Can he assist his counsel and defense? And that's the threshold question right there. Okay, we established that he suffers from the disorder, do we have different experts coming and or is it up to the judge to discuss or talk to the defend in this case to determine whether or not he understands what's happening right now, because one could make a case it seem like he appears that he does.
Speaker 11: Yeah, and right now there's a gag order essentially where the judge is not going to let these reports out till they're in open court. And so what you heard the doctor say yesterday, I think she specifically said, I am only focused on the first prong, Does he need to die?
Speaker 2: Not the criteria?
Speaker 8: And yes he does.
Speaker 11: She did not talk about the second prong yet, which is does it significantly impair his ability to understand the difference between right and wrong? Now, again that's the paraphrasing, but that's what she has to show. And thinking that's the January hearing, I think they're coming back the first week of January. You're going to hear all the experts talk about that. So I think the judge is going to decide that he's competent. I don't think there's really any strong evidence that he's not. Confidence as being trial, I think the judge, based on this expert, is going to allow the jury to consider not guilty by reason of insanity, and I think that's fair he let the jury beside that. But I also think what's going to be telling, and we don't know the answer yet, is do all three of the experts agree that he has, you know, bipolar disorder, Because I'm guessing they do, that's just a guess, but they probably all disagree on whether or not that is a serious or significant impairment for him. You know, there's people diagnosed with bipool or disorder every day, but that's not a significant impairment. And I think that's what the main hearing is going to be in January is does it rise to the level that it's so significant he didn't know what was going on?
Speaker 2: Yeah, I have the NNGRII defense. But have you ever been around I know you've read people this before, but have you ever been around somebody that literally suffered from this disorder, but at the same time also did not understand or could contribute to their own defense that legally, literally they were insane and therefore they couldn't be held to the capital murder. Have you been around someone like that? I just wondering how that presents itself in the court of law. Are they speaking in tongues or just simply not understanding what's going on?
Speaker 11: They just don't understand. I mean, I've had a few defendants over a course of the time that's been found not competence to stand trial. That just means they don't understand who's who. They don't understand the difference between the judges and the prosecutors and the defense counsel. They don't understand essentially laws. They just don't get it. Imagine like trying to explain this to a three or four year old, that's the best way to describe it. They might be able to talk, but they have no idea what a court is and what trial is and things of that nature. And so essentially what the order would be there is they send you to a mens hospital to restore your competency. Basically, they try to educate you, they try to help you, they try to give you counseling, medication. Can they get you back to the point where you understand and if if there's a period of tend where they can restore you, then you go back to the court and get a trial. But if after a certain period of time six months, a year, whatever the statute is, that's when they say, well you're just not confident to stay a trial.
Speaker 2: Cases over.
Speaker 11: So I've seen that before and I think the best way to describe it is, you know, try talking to a four year old about court and that's what it's like to someone that has a severe mental illness.
Speaker 2: Yeah, Jason Phillibum on that, that's fascinating that you probably pretty know pretty much right away. Is it impossible to fake your way through that?
Speaker 11: That's what experts are good at They will catch someone that tries to fake them because they ask you one hundred questions in so many different ways. That's what these tests are designed. And it's not just one psychologist has come up with it. It's been thirty years in the making, so you know they will they will hopefully catch the person that tries to do it. Now, I'm sure if you have, you know, Hollywood actor doing their thing, maybe they might be able to pull someone. But the average person out there on the street trying to get out of a trial is not going to fool with psychology.
Speaker 2: Yeah. Yeah, you'd have to be pretty well studied or go into a different character entirely for that to happen. It's a possibility. It may have happened in the past, but now Kaiser SoSE is the last person I think I've seen it right be able to pull that one. Kevin Spacey's character, he's.
Speaker 8: Exactly what I was thinking.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, yeah, I mean that's that's Hollywood though, that's not real life. The Kaiser defense here, if you pull that one off, you deserve to get out of get out of your your sentence. I don't think that's going to happen for this guy. How much is the fact that everything he did was premeditated? The fact that Roddery Hinton drove around for a period of time before selecting Deputy Henderson to murder, that has to contribute to this as well, doesn't it.
Speaker 11: Absolutely? And that's what the state's going to argue. If you premeditate, if you plan, if you basically go around and set up your crime, then it did not significantly impair your ability to function. And so there's an argument by the premeditation aspect that you weren't insane.
Speaker 8: Now, I think what the defense.
Speaker 11: Is going to argue is he drove around and he was thinking about it and then he just had a sudden burst of I can't take this anymore, and so I think that's what they're going to try to argue. But that you know, I was told back in law school, when it comes to ngri, you run, you're done. That was the phrase that came out in a case a long time ago, which the moment you start planning or the moment you run, you kind of show that you know what's right and wrong right because you've planned it, or you run away from it. So I think that's what that's what's going to probably be the big, big decision maker in the case is the fact that this was premeditated.
Speaker 2: Grief and emotional distress and extreme emotional reaction for that matter to your son's death does not indicate serious mental illness or the fact that you can't comprehend right from wrong.
Speaker 11: Right if you were watching the video at the moment and then attack the officer in a room, that would be a much different situation than getting in a car and driving around and looking for your right candidate. I mean, that's what the state's going to argue.
Speaker 2: But that will try to throw everything they can. I guess at the judge and jury if that's the case, to decide whether or not he this mental illness that he suffers from bipolar disorder, which is a you know, I mean, it's fairly common diagnosis for sure, But did it impact his decisions he made that day? And also, more importantly, does he know right from wrong? And just running seems to indicate that he does. It should be fairly open and shut. I would think right, just based.
Speaker 11: On that, yeah, I would think that you know, from the standpoint, I mean again, I always tell people you don't know what's going on. So you see the full evidence at the trial, but you know, based on what we've read so far, I would think the jury would have a little easier decision on the guilt versus not guilty by reason insanity. I think this case is all going to hinge on though, whether the judge allows the death memvie. If she does, what will the jury think, Because there's a lot of argument for the defense to argue there's enough mitigation here that he shouldn't be put to death for this. And you have such an extreme hostile act of taking out a law enforcement officer that wasn't even involved, and compare that to someone that has this mental health issue. And that's going to be the struggle the jury has to decide, is should I put that person to death? The crime is so horrendous. The preliminary answer is yes, But then is his mental health issue so mitigating that we put him in prison for.
Speaker 8: Life instead of death.
Speaker 11: That's going to be the thing that I think is going to be the hardest decision the jury is going to have to wrestle.
Speaker 2: With, right, you know, not on that note, whether he was taking his medicaid, if he was off his meds. Let's hey didn't decide to take medication that day. Does that help the defense or does it not matter simply because you know you're on it now, you know right from wrong and your cares being managed right now. Does that impact us at all?
Speaker 11: It's going to be one of the things that both sides argue. It's like, it's like I was drunk, I didn't mean to kill the person when I crashed into him. And the answer to that is, but you intentionally drank alcohol and then got into a car, And so the same argument is going to be made he intentionally did not take his medicine. I mean, if it's a situation where you've got such a severe issue, you've got to take the medicine, and you forgot that morning. That's one thing that if you go off for a period of time, that's an intentional decision that the state's going to argue, and of course the defense is going to argue the counter argument. But that's again something that the jury's going to have to wrestle with.
Speaker 2: All right. He is a defense attorney, Jason Philibaum and a private practice Unison Philibaum Law Firm, former prosecutor. Interesting not reason not guilty reason in sanity. It's the plea from Ryny Hidding. And we'll find out in January if the judge agrees. Jason all the best. Thanks for the insight. I appreciate you. I appreciate it.
Speaker 8: Thank you.
Speaker 2: I take care. We've got to get a news update in here momentarily on the big one seven hundred ww and when we return, stopped up my wife a little bit. She's on the men from the knee surgery, because that's what we Sloans do. We just have surgery all the time. Sloani here seven hundred called the bells. Do you hear the bells? It could only mean one thing.
Speaker 6: It's real estate time with my shell Sloan Remax, time agent and proud proprietor of Sloan sells Homes dot com.
Speaker 2: Heed her words.
Speaker 6: Or face her wrath on seven hundred WL to what's going on?
Speaker 12: Can you hear it? Can you hear that squeaky sound?
Speaker 11: Clark?
Speaker 12: I'm serious, there's something in the.
Speaker 7: Wall, Oh my god, fluttering, it's squeaking.
Speaker 12: It's fluttering and wall to get home right now.
Speaker 9: You got into the mushrooms again, didn't you. No, But there's something like a like a like a like a pig in the truffle you found she found the mushrooms.
Speaker 2: She's high af at eleven thirty this morning. Awesome.
Speaker 12: No no, no, no, no, no, no, there is some of course, Okay, so I can hear it right, there's some scratching in the wall. I'm sure it's probably a little mouse.
Speaker 2: Or something gonna snow outside.
Speaker 12: Wants to come out from the garage, but I think it's in the walls. Every time I get close, it's quiet and it doesn't move. But then I heard a fluttering like it might be a bird, so I can Bandit are the best guard dog that ever was is just sleeping in the corner and could absolutely care. We are being invaded by.
Speaker 2: Well it is that time of year.
Speaker 3: Oh my gosh.
Speaker 12: Okay, uh yeah, we got it. We have a creature and it's driving me nuts. I'm working from home today because it's cold outside and I don't like it.
Speaker 2: Where is is it in the bedroom?
Speaker 7: Is it?
Speaker 2: Where?
Speaker 12: No? No, no, So I went to take Bandit out for a walk and I it's somewhere between the dining room, the laundry room and the garage. And I'm thinking maybe something got stuck in the dryer vent. But you have a new like lid on.
Speaker 2: That, right, Yeah, new lidy lid.
Speaker 12: I don't know. But the animals are coming in.
Speaker 2: And yeah, just the one.
Speaker 12: I don't know, But man, it doesn't seem to give a straight up.
Speaker 2: That's got to be a brave mouse. Because I was thought I was near the bedroom. I thought, you know, with the snoring in there, that whatever or drug induced home issues? Are you shure? I'm not buying it. I just think it's the narcotics left over from your knee surgery. I think you're just high.
Speaker 12: I have been narcotic free for almost a week.
Speaker 2: Right, you think I'm actually going to get home in the first order? Business to be looking to find a mouse in a wall somewhere. Yes, yeah, I'll figure it out.
Speaker 12: It's because I'm going to torment you until.
Speaker 2: Although I have a buddy. I have a buddy that he had mouse and mice and how whatever. He's like, okay, they're they're finding some poop over and like, okay, we got some mousk moscat in somewhere called extremity. It comes over and goes to the attic and literally finds an entire colony. Uh, to the point where sixteen dollars later.
Speaker 12: Yeah, yeah, I've heard. I've actually been in my business, you know, which is actually real estate during home inspections. We've seen bird messs literally the size of a car of ew beetle that is messing and growing in there. We've seen raccoons and they can make an awful thanky mess. Yeah you know, bird mice for sure.
Speaker 2: And yeah, so so we have a problem, sir, Okay, I'm gonna put that at the bottom of the list of things I have to do today. The mouse will be fine, it'll be fine. Well, we'll get through this somehow.
Speaker 12: Will be fine if he calls his little self in through an outlet or something, and then he's in here and then it's still sleeping, and I'm like, you should see him.
Speaker 2: Oh, I saved it. I never took a picture of it too. At my workshop, a mouse was crawling through it did just what you said. I think he was trying to get in the out He's like, because I have the covers off because I still have work to do in there. And the mouse literally is electrocuted to the to the outlet as cool as hell. No that oh he got it fast. He got it quick.
Speaker 12: Okay, as long as it was it was like a trap.
Speaker 2: The mouse tried to plead not guilty by reason of insanity. That judge would not hear it, and he was immediately.
Speaker 12: Actually, so I'm nice. Are just living there in life, right and I'm not ANSI mouse. I will get the trapped that actually won't kill them. They get trapped inside, and then you have to like deliver them at least a mile away, or somehow they find their way back in here.
Speaker 2: You know that's a park or.
Speaker 12: Something, and.
Speaker 2: You really are too. You'll drive two miles away to release the mouse back in the wild that promptly gets eaten by something else.
Speaker 12: Well that's fine, that's nature. But as long as I didn't kill it, oh my little so I think, whatever's in my walls right now, in the walls of my brain right.
Speaker 2: Now, get the little trap. See how it works out. Well, on the other side of the wall, a good place for them. That's what the walls there are.
Speaker 12: I mean, if I thought maybe they were, it was in the garage, and I'm fine with that because you know that happens.
Speaker 2: Well, we'll figure it out. It's fine. We're getting three to five to twenty inches of snow tomorrow. We got to prepare for that. We got to prepare for that. Let's talk a little real well, segue from mice to real estate, but it's largely the same thing. Everybody's got a couple of mons. It's that time of year. You're gonna have some mice. And you know, it takes us a hole the size of a dime for one to get through. There's no way you're going to be able to, you know, patch every hole in your house for that. Maybe you can find an area where you know there's an old plumbing or h AC system and they didn't you know, fill the hole properly or something like that, and yeah, you can spot those for sure. Or maybe there's culking or something that's given away in a corner, all tiny spots like that's tough because oose things can literally scale a skyscraper. Nonetheless, I know you wanted to. I think it's good news here, the Hamlin County real estate transfer tax increase. It was going to cost people more money in Hamlin County. That's been scubbled, right, it is, I mean so right.
Speaker 12: We do have some real news, some nuggets of news to share with you today. There has been some action in the Hamilton County real estate transfer tax increase that was in the budget. It has been nixed. So a group of the realtor Alliance of Greators, Cincinnati, landlord lenders, investors, the entire real estate community really came out against this, saying it's going to be harmful to homeowners, buyers, builders, small landlords, everybody because the cost of this transfer tax is going to be the highest in the area. I mean, they were trying to increase it, and it's one of those if I would say there's a hidden fee when you sell your home, it's the transfer tax. It's four dollars per thousand of the house that you sell, so you know it can add up pretty quickly. And you have no idea as a seller that you are having to pay this transfer tax unless you have a good real estate agent who's going to sell you in advance. There's not a darn thing I can do about it, you know, I just tell you, I just give you the information and know that that's going to come out in the end of your proceeds, which is not good. And there is also some round of applause to Commissioner. Commissioner Eli Herise because she has been the sad sass voice of reason on this one and oppositions to be increased. Yeah, to do an awesome job. So that was that nugget. So for now, Hamilton County is going to stay still one of the higher ones. Right, Hamilton and Claremont County are four dollars per thousand in a transfer tax. Warren County and Butler County are three dollars per thousand when you sell your house. So if you're planning to sell your house, talk to your real estate agent about that. It's not just your regular property taxes that you have to pay at closing. Yeah, you have to pay the transfer tax as well.
Speaker 2: All right. So yeah, so the three dollars per hundred thousand dollars, yeah, per hundred.
Speaker 12: Right, per hundred, three dollars per hundred. So if it's if it's a two hundred thousand dollars home, it's two hundred times three dollars or four dollars.
Speaker 11: Whatever that is.
Speaker 8: Yeah, a couple hundred bucks.
Speaker 3: But again, it all adds up, does add up.
Speaker 2: There's all those fees that get add It's like a CBS receipt when you're buying a house, for God's sakes, it's just still one thing after another after another. After all right, well that's good news right there, all right, from mice to what else we have?
Speaker 12: The FAG yesterday cut rates for the third time and twenty five interestingly, so it's like a group of I don't know people at the FED that vote on this, whether or not to cut the rates, increase the rates, do whatever. So it's on a nationwide level, right, and not everybody's in agreement that just keeping and cutting the rates is going to be the best thing for our economy. And so it was a split vote, and it sort of reveals there's a little bit of a chink in the armor there that there's a possibility that, you know, just lowering the FED rate is not going to help our economy overall. We have so many other factors inflation and unemployment and your mortgage rates and your rates on your on your credit cards as well, so you know, all of this is taken into consideration. It's not the it's not an equal thing. And that's the one again, this is sort of one of those things that people don't talk enough about. When the Fed cuts the rate, It doesn't mean automatically that your mortgage rate is going to be lowered. It's just that's that's not the way it works, or it doesn't mean that any future mortgage rates are going to automatically be lowered. As a matter of fact, that we're the course of the last week, mortgage rates have inched up just a little bit. So right now they're around six and a quarter, which is still pretty in my opinion, it's still pretty good. Anything under seven, anything under six and a half is what I would considered to be fair. Is it the three percent of days old days gone by?
Speaker 5: No, it's not.
Speaker 12: But we're never going to see three percent mortgage rate again.
Speaker 2: Stop it don't it's not coming back. But these are good times. These are good times.
Speaker 5: It is.
Speaker 12: It is decent. I mean it's good now. Knowing that if the mortgage rates go down, buyers have a little litle bit more buying power, which is a good thing as well. And right now we are seeing more inventory. We're seeing more homes currently on the market, so we have an inventory of about three months worth of inventory based on the number of sales. So that means if you're a buyer and I know this is salesy, but if you are a buyer, now is a great time to start to look yeah, because rates are moderate and there are homes to their homes to look at. So think about getting back into the market before spring, before the rest of the world gets back in the market, because I think that's that's.
Speaker 2: A good step to start to see a surge here. Okay, good, good, good good. My wife Michelle from so long sales homes dot Com open house show. I get the podcast for the iHeartRadio app of course on YouTube as well, and Remax time in Mainville. I will throw this out there too, because we're expecting bitterly cold temperatures. The temperature will not get out of the single digits for the game on Sunday. If so, it'll be very very close, like maybe eleven degrees. It's going to be absolutely frigid. And when we've seen that kind of cold, uh, you see a lot of problems pop up. I just want to put the shout out here. If you have not done so already, today would be the day before it starts to snow and get colder. Is to make sure you take those hoses if you have not yet from the side of your house outdoor hoses and you have to take them off even though you have a frost free faucet.
Speaker 8: Frozen, babe, that's not that cold out.
Speaker 2: Yet, it's still what oh, I don't know. I mean, I mean we're below freezing obviously too, but yeah, you could still you can get those off. Very important because if you haven't already. Yeah, I'm not saying you should probably have done this fall, but just make sure you're all caught up on that kind of stuff too. And you know, if you don't have the heat in your house, and maybe uh on the wet wall and that is where the plumbing comes into the sink, like in the kitchen for example. Usually that's a trouble spot because and the wet wall is an outside If you have older home, you don't have enough insulation in there. Make sure you open those sink cabinets up and in this kind of weather even and you know you're you live there long enough, keep the fastest dripping. A little bit of flow will help as well, just a slight drip. It's you may go, I'm gonna run my water bill up, But it's a lot cheaper than having a plumber.
Speaker 12: Come out to fix or I mean, it's just a tiny little drip, just as flow as it keep it, and having those cabinet doors open on the outside walls really does make a huge difference. I'm also going to suggest if you have any elderly people that live near you, next to you, your next door neighbors or family members or whatever, go check on them this weekend because it is it's going to be cold, and if they're heating their homes by the oven or whatever, stop it.
Speaker 3: No, don't do that.
Speaker 12: It's dangerous.
Speaker 2: Yeah, well that's all right. Just be ready to go because we're going to get that weather moving in. That's how it's going to be. It's gonna get cold and we're gonna have a lot of snow. So the other thing too, I did see some rock. I was out yesterday getting some stuff at the you know, the big box home retailers. I was at low Is actually, and there's a little bit of salt left, so you're in good chip if you haven't got years.
Speaker 12: Yet, that's good. And again today's day right to get your butt out there. If you need a shovel, get on it. If you need some salt, And there's all different kinds of salt. How much time do we have to I actually have a little bit of a.
Speaker 8: Lip well, I I.
Speaker 2: What kind of salt do you would you prefer?
Speaker 5: There?
Speaker 2: You're like a I like Kosher Kosher. It's out there sprinkling sprinkler box of Morton's Kosher on the driveway.
Speaker 12: I'm kidding. That is actually the worst thing that you can do because you're going to create pits and it's not safe for your plants or your pets.
Speaker 2: So, I mean it's the cheapest, and you know, if it's lightful, but you get a depreeze like this, you need calcium chloride or magnesium chloride. Are the ones that work below ten degrees, right?
Speaker 12: And you want to look at look at the label a little bit again. If there's just not a lot of choices, there's probably not a lot.
Speaker 2: Get what you can. It's better than nothing because it's going to help. I mean, if you get that heavy set, it's gonna be a light snow. I think too. But if you get that icing event, you want to lay that down for max sure. It makes it easier to get that stuff off off your driveway and walkways if you pre treat it like the roadway. So there you go. My wife Michelle sloan this and more via the podcast on the iHeartRadio app that Slong saleshomes dot Com Openhouse Show from your next time in Mainville. All the best, love you, gotta go, gotta go. You have a great day.
Speaker 12: Okay, come get my this mouse burg whatever it is not.
Speaker 2: Even anywhere in the list today, that is not on my to do list. Make friends with it. Make friends with it. The dog needs a friend, well, he's just.
Speaker 11: Nice.
Speaker 2: Pet mouse would be fine for him. It's something that guess what, less things. I don't have to throw the ball as much anymore if he has a pet mouse as his best friend. It's like a Disney movie. Michelle lean into that stuff, would you. Willy's on the way next Home of the best Bengals coverage seven hundred ww since net