Speaker 1: The quest for the three peat has begun.
Speaker 2: Only four teams in Major League Baseball history have won three consecutive titles. The Dodgers are the favorites to become the fifth.
Speaker 1: This is World Champion Dodger Talk.
Speaker 3: Here we're going again. We get right running back.
Speaker 4: To get him on the show called eight six, six, nine eighty seven two five seventy, and be sure to follow Dodger Talk wherever you get your podcasts. Here's your host, David Vasselas.
Speaker 2: Welcome the Dodger Talk. David vasse with you until the top of the hour after the Orioles survive the Dodgers by a final score of three to two. We have phone lines open at eight six, six, nine, eight seven two five seventy.
Speaker 3: Jose Moto will join us in fifteen minutes.
Speaker 2: We'll get his thoughts on why Trevor Rodgers was able to shut down the Dodger offense for six innings tonight. You heard Dave Roberts talk about how Rogers attack the Dodgers with the fastball.
Speaker 3: Well, the Dodgers are one of the.
Speaker 2: Best fastball hitting teams in baseball, and for whatever reason, they just couldn't pick it up tonight because Tommy Edmund was the only Dodger that had a hit off of Trevor Rodgers tonight. Trevor Rodgers took a no hitter into the fifth inning until Tommy Edmond singled with two outs in that inning. So interesting night that the Dodger offense couldn't get it going against Trevor Rodgers. But nonetheless, it says a lot about the Dodgers that even with all that being said in the ninth inning, they could have very easily just folded the tents and walked away quietly. Tonight, instead, led by Shoho Tani's home run, they weren't going to go away quietly. They showed the Orioles what it's like to play the back to back World Series champions, a team that is still pushing forward, coming into tonight with the best record in baseball. The Dodgers got to Ryan Helsley last night. He blew his first save of the year last night. Tonight they ran Andrew Kittridge out of the ninth inning. The Dodgers were hitting a lot of balls hard, including Andy Pajez his rocket to left center field that Taylor Ward made an incredible catch on. Or The Dodgers are sending this game at the very least to extra innings, if not winning it in the bottom of the ninth innings.
Speaker 3: So that was a huge play.
Speaker 2: As it turned out in the ninth inning after Sho Haotani sparked the rally with his sixteenth home run of the year, a home run that was a rocket to the right field pavilions. And I have said this and I will say it again, Jo Haotani is the greatest player on the planet.
Speaker 3: And the Dodgers have a lot of great players on their.
Speaker 2: Team, but there is something about his presence that makes those guys believe that they are invincible, that they can overcome any deficit, no matter how many outs they have left in a game, if they can just get that guy up. And to me, he gave them confidence again in that ninth inning that, okay, I'm not giving away at bats. You better not give away at bats. And that's exactly what took place in that ninth inning. Also, some bad Orioles defense in the ninth inning. You can't tell me a few of those guys didn't realize where they were at Dodger Stadium with fifty thousand fans bearing down on them. In the home of the back to back World Series champions because Kobe Mayo on that routine chopper by Mookie Betts. Nine out of ten third basemen make that play and MOOKI was hustling up the first baseline, and I thought it was really cool as that extended review challenge was happening in New York, that the fifty thousand fans here at Dodgers Stadium in the ninth inning were chanting.
Speaker 3: Safe, Safe, Safe.
Speaker 2: Maybe it's that World Cup fever in LA that sparked that type of chance, but certainly cool atmosphere at Dodgers Stadium and Tommy Edman hitting a rocket to right field that Leote Taveres couldn't come up with. I mean it was in his glove, it was out of his glove. He was handcuffed, and he kind of felt like tom Yedman was going to do something good in that at bat, and he certainly did to keep the line moving, and the Dodgers were one runaway from tying the game, Mookie ninety feet away. And I guess that's where you know, we sometimes talk about the good, the bad, the ugly, Well, the ugliest part of the game tonight was Kyle Tucker's last at bat. I mean even Alex Freeland had a better at bat than Kyle Tucker did in the ninth inning against Cano. I mean that was atrocious. He was over fortnite with three strikeouts. And it's becoming harder and harder to ignore that Tucker is hitting two thirty eight. Has severely underperformed in his first few months as a Dodger. And I don't know if it's fair or unfair, but the fans in the stairwell are talking about sixty million dollars to this guy. And that's what you sign up for when you sign a contract like that. If you don't want the smoke, don't sign a contract like that on a team that is trying to three peat because the expectations are higher than ever.
Speaker 3: And like I.
Speaker 2: Said on the last road trip, there is no snapping of the fingers that I believe is going to happen between now and the All Star Break for Kyle Tucker. I don't see Kyle Tucker turning his season around until.
Speaker 3: After the All Star Break. That's just a fact.
Speaker 2: I have seen a lot of guys come through Dodger Stadium with a lot of expectations with a lot of contract on their books, and when you see something like this, it doesn't just snap out of it overnight. I don't see this changing until the second half of the season. Am I ready to bury Kyle Tucker as a Dodger. Absolutely not. Am I going to compare him to Michael Conforto, Absolutely not. But what I will say the parallels between Tucker and Conforto are and Confordo admitted this to Ken Rosenthal a few weeks back, is that he looks around the room and he's trying to compete with the Otani's, the Freeman's, the ta Oscars. And I really hope Kyle Tucker is not trying to do that, because that would be a repeat of a mistake of a guy like Michael Conforto, who signed a one year contract for seventeen million dollars and it never it never turned out the right way for him for the Dodgers in his short time with them. So look, Kyle Tucker can go under the radar all he's want, all he wants. He's hardly ever at his locker when the media is in there. He hardly does any interviews. And look, he's a guy that wants to go under the radar doesn't say a lot, but the reality is people are noticing. It's hard not to notice. Eight six six eight seven two five seventy is the phone number. Let's go out to Lou, who was at Dodger Stadium tonight.
Speaker 3: Hi, Lou, you're on Dodger Talk.
Speaker 5: Hey, David, thanks for taking the call. He took all my thunder because everything I was thinking about saying about Tucker he said, it looks like he's just it's too big for him. David, and Scott Boris didn't do him any favors by giving him that sixty million dollars contract.
Speaker 2: Scott Boris is not why Why does everybody blame Scott Boris?
Speaker 3: Scott Boris is a care about how much?
Speaker 1: All right?
Speaker 5: Whoever gave him the contract? It's too big for him. I don't think he can handle the big lights here in LA. I don't know. It just seems like you tell me you were there that lasted bad? Did it look competitive to you?
Speaker 3: I've seen better cuts under a band aid. I'll put it that way.
Speaker 5: There you go, And look, I'm not trying to beat on him when he's down. But I don't know. I just don't see. I don't you know, he's got a two. He can opt out after two years, and it's four year contract. It wouldn't surprise me if he gets out of LA after two years, it.
Speaker 2: Wouldn't surprise me either. But I will say this, I'm not ready to just bury Kyle Tucker.
Speaker 3: Yet.
Speaker 2: It looks ugly. It hasn't looked good at all. He's had a couple of moments, but that's it. He hasn't been able to put together week ten games, fifteen games. But Louis, you say all this and then he comes up with a big hit in October and all of a sudden, it's a moot point. So that's why I would be very careful to be able to say this is too big for him until it's not.
Speaker 3: So.
Speaker 2: Like I said, I saw Strawberry here and it was a completely different situation. I get that, but at the time it was the biggest contract in baseball. He only hit five home runs the first half of ninety one, and then hit twenty three home runs in the second half after he kind of got his bearings. And I think we should give Tucker that grace period as well, especially since his teammates have picked him up in the first half of the year, so I'm expecting a much better second half from Tucker.
Speaker 5: All right, maybe you're right, but I'm gonna go on record Andrew Friedman's made a lot of great moves, but this may go down as the worst free agent signing he's ever done.
Speaker 2: All right, let's talk about it. Let's talk about it at the end of the year, Lou I don't think you could say that just yet. Eight six six seven two five seventy is the phone number. Let's go out to Westlake.
Speaker 3: David. You're on Dodger Talk. How you doing, David.
Speaker 1: I'm doing okay, DV.
Speaker 6: Thanks for taking my call. Man, I gotta.
Speaker 7: Agree with you. I love this team so much. And man, the way they show fight. They're nine games up in first place and bade you not quit until the very end. But but Kyle Tucker, Man, that guy swing is so ugly.
Speaker 6: But I have a solution.
Speaker 7: I think tomorrow morning he needs to wake up and feel a little inflammation in his left big toe, and he needs to go.
Speaker 6: On the IL. He needs to go on to al We need to bring up Kibs. See what that kid can do. And and mister Tucker needs to stand in the corner of the dugout and face the wall and go on a little time out because that guy, he needs a little break from baseball.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and if that break is coming out, trust me, that break is coming at the All Stark And that's when I believe he'll reset his season and figure things out, because in the middle of the year, when you're trying to change, you know different things.
Speaker 3: And Nomar, I.
Speaker 2: Think you've heard what I played, what Nomar said, and diagnosed with Tucker just his stride. I talked to Aaron Bates, the Dodgers hitting coach, and he said, that's what the Dodgers are working on with Tucker, but it's not an overnight fix. And those pitches that he was swinging at in the bottom in the dirt, I mean, like I said, Alex Freeland had a better at bat in the ninth inning than Kyle Tucker, which you know is saying something there.
Speaker 3: All right, David, let's talk it after the All Star break.
Speaker 6: Okay, all right, one last thing, DV about Alex Freeland. I don't understand. I don't understand how you pinch hit for a guy who hit the.
Speaker 7: Game tying home run in game seven of the World Series for Alex Freeland.
Speaker 6: I don't understand.
Speaker 7: I think that's Dodgers manager Dave Roberts overthinking again.
Speaker 6: I think that's analytics coming too much into play.
Speaker 3: Well, yeah, you're going with the platoon.
Speaker 2: Rojas is one of the best right handed hitters against lefties, and he wanted to get Freeland in there against the righty from the left side.
Speaker 3: So that was the thinking right there.
Speaker 2: But I wouldn't mind the loss, taking that at beat at at that at bad either. Who can argue that. Thanks for the phone call, David, appreciate it. Let's go out to Michael and Northridge. You're on Dodger Talk. How are you doing, Michael?
Speaker 7: Hi, David, I'm doing great.
Speaker 8: How are you?
Speaker 3: I'm great? How can it be bad?
Speaker 2: The Dodgers lost for the first time on this homestand they got the second best record in baseball?
Speaker 9: Yeah, I know, what's what's going through your mind right now? What I saw? I know what's going through your mind right now?
Speaker 3: What's going through my mind?
Speaker 9: You know?
Speaker 4: Like that?
Speaker 6: You know, we got the best working in baseball and then we lost his home standy, you.
Speaker 2: Know, Okay, thank you for the phone call. Have a great rest of your Saturday night. Man, if that guy was in my head, I'd be in real trouble. Eight six six nine eighty seven two five seventy is the phone number. I mean, what am I supposed to do with that? Tonight's game brought to you by Modello Modello The Mark of a Fighter. All are welcome. Eight six six nine eighty seven two five seventy is the phone number. Dodger's fault to the Orioles tonight three to two. When we continue, Jose Mota will try to tell me what's going through my head as well. Dodger Talk. We roll on until the top of the hour right here on AM five to seventy LA Sports.
Speaker 1: Seventy.
Speaker 4: Dodger Talk is available on AM five seventy LA sports dot com, hand on the iHeartRadio app. Back to more Dodger Talk with Dodger Inside, David Basse, Inge.
Speaker 8: Hits a Hi, Trived Price Center Failed Back.
Speaker 1: The Love God, a home Run.
Speaker 8: For All Time, Show, Hey O'tani home run number sixteen, and the Dodgers on the board three to one.
Speaker 2: That guy's amazing welcomes his second child into the world yesterday shows up at Dodgers Stadium to spark a rally with a home run in the ninth inning, show hey Otani certainly the greatest player on the planet. The Dodgers fall short tonight to the Orioles, though three to two. Daniels Jewelers presents the home run forecast. For your chance to win a fifty dollars Daniels Jeweler's gift card, visit AM five to seventy LA sports dot Com. Use the keyword home run and to your name you could win. Daniels Jewelers Own the Dream.
Speaker 1: It's time to go around the horn with ho.
Speaker 2: All right, Hose, let's talk about Trevor Rodgers. I know the ninth inning was exciting and the Dodgers never gave up on that game, But how did Trevor Rodgers pitch six shutout innings and allow just one hit to Tommy Yedman.
Speaker 9: I'm gonna say that, Dave, he's been paying attention to what's happened to the Dodgers. Anthony k faced him back in Chicago, and then Sean Neukleman company came in. Then you know, well, venable changes planned, so they're just not being able to get into good cons against lefties. And execute well covering the outer half. I mean Lefty's lab with the outer half, you got to protect. Even if he comes to be up the fastballs, he's setting something up for you and they just has not been able to adjust to making better contact. And beyond the point, not an excuse, but with l will Smith and Telska is a different looking min of what comes out to facing lefties, no doubt.
Speaker 2: Yeah, how about that ride that Miguel Rojas gave. It could have been a two run home run that Rojas sent to the track back in the seventh inning, and uh, you know we're in the sixth inning. Even even Rogers was a little concerned there.
Speaker 9: He was, you know what, going back to the previous caller, I have to live and die with mcguer rosas and that a bat though day, I have to go with mcguar Rojas. Alex Freeland is not a proven big league player yet. He is not a proven power hitter yet. If he becomes one, and I know that in that bad Wright left the Ottle Carol Hardy throws, I have to go to mcgair house and let me just put it to you this way. If that's the playoff situation, he's going to hit there, it's gonna be Miguel Rojas. So whatever was going today's head is fine. But and I don't only going left to righty matchup. Great analytics, great, cyur metrics, great, But in that case, in that game out there, after his left at bat, I'm going to mcguar Rojas. But there's no doubt that, you know, Migie knows what he's doing. He actually gave the most detailed report he was talking about with the Aaron Bates at one point to one of his hitters coming up on the guy coming in. And that's why you want to I like that on your team because he's ready all the time, and certainly I want to see one sea.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I agree with you, And I wonder if Dave was after last night and the way things went down, if it was Dave trying to allow another growing moment the big picture, you know, as the Dodgers are trying to, you know, not only win tonight's game, he's trying to, you know, develop some of these guys as well as far as the big picture, And I wonder if that went into his decision to have Freeland come off the bench. But how do you argue Miguel Rojas, who came up with arguably the biggest home run in the last twenty five years for the Dodgers.
Speaker 9: Yeah, exactly. I know the Dodgers to take the approach a lot of times, as you know why Freedlom made the team, and it was pretty obvious with Dodgers that we need to see what we have. So, yeah, have a good point. You there are a lot you know exactly how the thinking goes along and the season progresses, the ever flows of the season, and perhaps that would be in a moment to say, hey, we trust you to do this out there and give your best at better and he actually, you know, they're a pretty job of just making contact going the other way and trying to hit a long dround the other way.
Speaker 2: He actually had a better at bad than Kyle Tucker. That's been a topic of conversation tonight, Jose.
Speaker 9: It has been. I mean, you know what, on every point you made, you've been exactly right. And at some point Dave Yenier Canoe is not going to give in with his fastball. He's not losing that game with a fastball. It's easy for me to say it from where I stand where I sit right now. But Kyle Tucker has to understand a little bit more about and he's done it before in his career. It's not like this is anything new for him. That canoe is not going to throw anything close. And the more he expands with that swing that he has he's trying to find the right path forward, the more he's going to go out there and just bury balls out of his own Obviously, this is not on Kyle Tucker, is not why they lost, but that at bat right there you have to force Cana who is not even their closer, to put your way with something in the zone, not out of the zone. So hopefully is a learning moment, as he talked about Freeland, a learning moment for a veteranmploye that he needs to understand a little bit more about the situations are going to continue to find him. Because at some point, as the Susans progressing, just took me how many of these moments are finding him early and laying the games and with the big monster he's got around him, guess what other teams are gonna say, get to that guy until the next on Injustice, we want that guy in the batsac left you're ready, it doesn't matter.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it didn't seem like he had much of a plan in that at bad Jose and h You know, for a guy that has a reputation of being extra selective, nobody has seemed to solve the question, including Tucker himself. Why is he swinging so early and often in at bats more than he ever has in his career.
Speaker 9: He has to get better with this. I actually went down to a little, you know, deeper dive into this and as of last before this homestand Dave, when he had made contact on the first pitch on inside pitches, he was one for eleven. Okay, it was a blue base hit. When Sara Basemon says, so I understand the need to say, I got some guys around me, I'm going to go out there and be aggressive. But it's got to be aggressive to your point, to your pitch and your location. And also he's talked about, you know, fixing the swing paths, as he told the reporters just a couple of days ago. That's all great, but with him, it really comes down to pitch selection, which is which trich do I feel good with at times even taking a two strike approach with no strikes because the situation your calls for contact or just a roller or a gramvel or longer up the middle and just slowing the game down a little bit more. He's good enough and he's experienced enough to know that I've done this before, and I don't need to be in a hurry. It seems sometimes seems like he's in a hurry, and I can see happening that you go out there and you want to make early contact and find something good to hit and you smack it. But that's not been the case. There's been a lot of soft contact, easy outs, early incounts, and hopefully that will change you because the league is going to just spread around a little bit more that you don't need to throw them anything closed when he's aggressive like that, and he can work counts and be back. But surely adjustmente seem to be made for him, just make his life easier and make it more enjoyable for himself.
Speaker 3: All right, Jose, thanks a lot for checking in.
Speaker 2: I appreciate you hitting on all the points we've been talking about on the show. We'll see you out here tomorrow as the Dodgers look to have a happy flight to Minnesota.
Speaker 9: I know what's in your head, Dave. Yeah, right, well, I sandwich. I know, I know it's in your head. I've got in your head right now.
Speaker 3: Okay, thank you. That's a scary place to be, trust me.
Speaker 2: There he goes Jose Mota, part of the Dodgers Spanish radio broadcast. Hey, you know what's in my head? I got a Blake Snell update for you. I've been talking to Blake Snell for a lot of years, but more specifically during this rehab process. After getting the nanoscope to remove loose bodies in his left elbow, Blake Snell today threw off the mound for the first time since that nanoscope procedure on May nineteenth. He threw ten pitches off the mound today. He said that he has never felt better his range of motion. He can't believe the drastic difference that he didn't realize completely he has now from before the procedure doctor elatrosh performed on him. He said the ball was coming out of his hand really well today and he's gonna throw a bullpen session at the end of next week. So things are really looking good for Blake Snell. And like I said a couple of times, the last few days. Do not count this guy out from starting a game before the All Star break July.
Speaker 3: Right, Dave Roberts said July.
Speaker 2: I would not count Blake Snell out from starting a game before the All Star breaks sometime in July.
Speaker 3: All right.
Speaker 2: Also, speaking of Dave Roberts, we had a great time earlier today at Downy Hunday.
Speaker 3: It was a party.
Speaker 2: Dave Roberts got to experience the experience at Downey Hunday. Thanks to all the fans that came out to show Dave some love. You can see the photos the videos on our Instagram page. AM five to seventy LA Sports and certainly thank you to Sam and everybody else at Downy Hunday who hosted us. Tomorrow, the Dodgers will wrap up this homestand against the Orioles in the Al East with Emitt Shehan on the mound. He's three and four with an ERA of four seventy six, looking to put together a complete start, something he's only done once this year. Tomorrow would be a nice day to do it against the Orioles. Brandon Young Young is five and two with an ERA of three point eighteen. Our coverage begins at noon first Pitch at one ten with Rick Monday and Tim Neverett on Father's Day. Thanks to Colin me back at our Burbank studios, Thanks to Dwayne McDonald out here at Dodgers Stadium, and thanks to you for listening. In case you missed any of the show, you know where to find it the iHeart Ready. That's also where you can find our pregame conversations with Dave Roberts. Dusty Baker was on Dodger Talk last night. Hall of Famer Jim Palmer joined us as well yesterday. So that's the only place you can hear these guys. So the iHeartRadio app make Dodger Talk a preset and stream all the Dodger games live on the iHeartRadio.
Speaker 3: App once again.
Speaker 2: The final score tonight the Dodgers falls short against the Orioles three to two.
Speaker 3: Have a great rest of your night. See you