Speaker 1: How's the stream stream commencing broadcasting on a M five to seventy l A Sports and streaming on the iHeartRadio while friends.
Speaker 2: The longest running afternoon sports show in the city. No congratulations necessary.
Speaker 1: All traces of Fred Rogan have been removed. This is Petros In Money, Thank You, Thank You, hosted by Petros Papada, Gus terrible person, He's the worst, and Matt money Smith.
Speaker 2: The pipes, the pipes, the pie.
Speaker 1: Don't miss an episode.
Speaker 2: We're with you.
Speaker 1: Yeah, follow the petros In Money Show wherever you get your podcasts. Now Here's Petros Papade, Guss and Matt money Smith and gold one condition everything everything. You see your father, then you see me.
Speaker 2: You'll feel me.
Speaker 3: Yes what yeah yeah, yeah, yeah yeah yeah. All right, M five seventy LA Sports. That's where you're listening. You've heard that. It's the Petros and Money Show, our final hour.
Speaker 2: Don McClain is in.
Speaker 3: Make sure you follow us on the iHeartRadio app four hours to podcast or stream live or listen to later, or any platform you can listen to the Petros and Money Show.
Speaker 2: You can also get the Petrosen Money.
Speaker 3: Show on demand with the Petros and Money show podcast.
Speaker 2: The Dodgers are back in the World Series.
Speaker 3: Favorite World Series Game one, Blake Snell three and zero with a point eight six e r A. How do you say the name of the guy that he's pitching against? Less Savage? Less savage? You sevage?
Speaker 2: All right? What's his deal? He was a first round pick a year ago? Now you're South Carolina? Okay? Started then, don't eaton a ball? Okay? And Greg Farmer called up mid September and we were talking to Buck Martinez, Blue Jays analysts yesterday on scam and he said he has now made more starts in the postseason that he did in the big leagues during the regular season.
Speaker 4: I have a question to him, Yes, sir, how come major League Baseball when not that you have to follow the NBA. But how come it's still two three to two in the World Series, whereas like the NBA Finals is now two two one one one.
Speaker 2: It's a great question. Don I do not know the answer to that. That's not what I read. I don't know that's a good question. I feel like it should be at this point. Imagine the travel though, going La to Toronto with Seattle, Like you can't plan for who's playing who in the World Series. I'm just saying the game to that importance, a freaking world series with two three two. If the Dodgers win one of these first two, like you're in the driver's seat and you're the you're the visitor.
Speaker 3: Sounds like you might want to call into your talk at seven o'clock with David Vasse and ask that question.
Speaker 2: I'm gonna call or calling the scam tomorrow six am to nine am. We'll take your call, Steve Sacksville. I don't know, Don, Steve sa I'm the bigger question, though, Don, is why we have to wait six days between series? I know the Alcs got over Monday, but how about we started Wednesday? How about we started, yes today, Thursday? Why we wait until Friday to start this?
Speaker 4: TV windows? It all revolves around TV.
Speaker 2: If this thing goes seven games, it's ending November.
Speaker 3: Yeah, That's how it was last year. It pushes past Halloween. That's how it was when the Dodgers were playing the Red Sox or whatever.
Speaker 2: All right, doesn't Toronto's Dome close? Yes? Yeah, but they're gonna keep the lid on tonight.
Speaker 4: But I'm just thinking, like Game seven tonight it's gonna be twenty degrees in November. Yeah, they'll close it, right, they'll close it. Yeah, they keep it closed because the ball flies.
Speaker 2: Okay, guys, I wrote a lot of sell Sorry, it's only the World Series happening. Hey, find me some old time day, find me some old timey.
Speaker 3: Music, actually, timid, just final our fun fact time everybody I wrote this. Yeah, gosh, you know I take so much care fun fact, fun fact about Toronto.
Speaker 2: Since we were talking. I like Toronto a very a fun city. Done. I like it.
Speaker 4: Okay, I haven't been in a while, but when I went, I liked it. Did you know the very first pro hoops game on Earth was played in Toronto, of all places, between the Toronto Huskies and of course the New York Knickerbockers at Maple Leaf Gardens in nineteen forty six on November one. What was the league at that point?
Speaker 2: Do we know? It wasn't the NBA? They were different leagues. Yeah, it was the.
Speaker 5: Damn it.
Speaker 2: Why do you I asked too many questions on the show. You know, it's a very great question. Don I appreciate that listeners want to know this kind of information.
Speaker 4: I got a thirst for knowledge. Guys, Come on, all you have to act the great last ballist.
Speaker 3: The BAA. I wanted to say the ABA, but I knew there was BAA.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 3: The Basketball Association of America. Well, how could it be America if it's in Canada? Because the one another great question? How's it the National Basketball Association now? And they have a Canadian team.
Speaker 4: Because it started as the NBA and then they added Canadian team.
Speaker 3: Well, apparently they had one all along. The Toronto Huskies seventy nine years ago, almost exactly the Knicks one a sixty eight to sixty six. Assi Shetman of the Knicks hit the very first basket mid range of professional basketball history.
Speaker 2: But I bet that it was a two handed shot too. Standing granny shot, Yeah, granny shot. Maybe there was no spell on that ball? Is just a shot put.
Speaker 3: The Knicks are still going today, but the Toronto Huskies only lasted from forty six to forty seven, which is why you don't hear much about them.
Speaker 2: They disbanded. Now.
Speaker 3: They wanted to name the Raptors the Huskies when the Raptors came out in ninety five, but they said, damn it, it would look too much like.
Speaker 2: The t Wolves.
Speaker 3: So you got the dynasty point. I can see that, all right, Thank you, don It's not what I read.
Speaker 2: It is time for quick hits to ms quick hits, some nigga quick y'all.
Speaker 3: Oh yeah, usually it's the fun fact, but today the quick hits are brought to you by our friends in the Masters in Coaching program at Concordia University, Irvine. What are several Olympic athletes, former NFL players, and many of the best college and high school coaches across the nation have at common. They're graduates or current students in Concordia University Irvine's Masters in Coaching and Athletics Administration Program. Find out more at CUI dot edu slash coaching. The Dodgers getting ready for Game one of the World Series. Here's Game one starter Blake Snell earlier from media Day.
Speaker 6: Hey Blake, obviously pitching the World Series before, but going into this one, how does the night before compare to the maybe that first time?
Speaker 7: Yeah, I mean for me personally, it's just everything gets quiet and focused and just start processing what you want to happen, what you're gonna face, and just start, yeah, building from that.
Speaker 6: Play your last World Series game everybody remembers hitting total dominance until they took you out. How long did it take you to process that whole night? And how often do you still think about it? And now that you're back here?
Speaker 8: Finally, Yeah, I don't think about it really at all anymore. When it happened, I'd say probably like a week I was thinking about it.
Speaker 2: What have been different?
Speaker 8: What I could have done, the ups and downs of just you know, feelings, and then I ultimately led to if I would have done more early on in my career to gain his trust, it would have been a different outcome, I think, so learn from it and ultimately, ultimately it made me a better pitcher, just because I understand the games more than just myself, just the pieces, the parts and how it all works. So yeah, I mean for about a week, you know, the ups and downs of could have been a World Series champed this, but there's still Game seven and who knows if we win Game six, and just so much in the air that yeah, finally.
Speaker 2: Just let it go.
Speaker 1: Hello.
Speaker 3: The other big news, obviously we talked about alex Vesia not going to be there, still remains to be seen. What will happen next. Here's David Roberts Dave.
Speaker 9: The Dodgers just announced that Alex Vessier's away from the team with his wife Kayla. Just what being the focus on the World Series in baseball, what does this mean for the bullpen and for the roster and how you guys can find a way to replace someone just who's been so valuable for the group right now?
Speaker 5: Yeah, you know what I think. Right now, we're in the mode of trying to you know, understand the process, the rules a way that we could sort of, you know, try to navigate the roster. So I think we have a little bit of time and they think, you know, ten o'clock tomorrow or something like that to finalize our roster. But yeah, we're going through the process of trying to you know, backfill his spot on the roster.
Speaker 10: Just to clarify that, are you anticipating he won't be available this series or is there a way that maybe if it's like a bereavement situation or something like that, he could you get at him later.
Speaker 5: You know what, honestly, Jack, I think we're just going day to day with really no expectation.
Speaker 11: With you guys having been here before and have a lot of veterans players on the team in the Blue Jays, most of their guys seem kind of, you know, really excited just to be here. Is there an advantage one way or the other. I mean, to them, it's all new and they're very excited about it. To you guys, it's you know, a big deal, but you've been here before. Is there an advantage to the experience versus the newness?
Speaker 5: First off, we're very excited to be here as well. I think that, you know, some part of it. You could argue that the naivete, the inexperience is a good thing, you know, but I feel that the ability to manage moments, your heartbeat is advantageous, and especially in a seven game series. So I think that we're equipped to play well and we're facing a very good ball club. But yeah, I like the experience, but also like the the uh enthusiasm that you know, those guys.
Speaker 2: Have, and we have some of those guys too.
Speaker 3: The Clippers are owing one, and they looked terrible last night in Salt Lake City, but at least their coach was not arrested.
Speaker 2: This morning they host the Suns tomorrow. You can listen on AM eleven fifty.
Speaker 4: What's interesting is Tylo and Chauncey Billets are best friends. Not that that means anything. I'm just you said it, so I thought.
Speaker 3: I met your friend Julie Canzoni the other night. The Lakers are oh and one off until tomorrow they host the Minnesota Timberwolves, who presented a problem for Toronto getting the Huskies logo back because they're blue and white and the tea Wolves already exist.
Speaker 4: Do you think somebody from the Huskies will throw out the first pitch tomorrow.
Speaker 3: If you're twenty years old in nineteen forty six, So you're saying no, Yeah, this guy fought World War Two. He played in the Huskies versus Nicks. I mean he might be alive, and I don't know he's getting into home plate. The Lakers did not suffer and arrest this morning either, but the Portland Trailblazers did. Chauncey Billups, Miami heat guard Terry Rosier, and former Cleveland Cavs player and assistant coach Damon Jones have been arrested as part of a wide ranging investigation, two of them related to illegal sports betting and rig poker games backed by the Mafia.
Speaker 2: Mea mafia.
Speaker 3: I'm on a mafia, and a total of thirty four people were arrested a result of a year's long investigation covering eleven states and involving tens of millions of dollars. Here is FBI director not tall enough for the NBA. I mean, I don't care how good of his point guard this guy was. He got a really good crossover though.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I don't think.
Speaker 12: But here's caspitell As you now know, individuals such as Chauncey Billups, Damon Jones, and Terry Razier were taken into custody today former current NBA players and coaches.
Speaker 2: We don't know is that.
Speaker 12: This is an illegal gambling operation and sports rigging operation that spanned the course of years. The FBI let a coordinated takedown across eleven states to arrest over thirty individuals today responsible for this case, which is.
Speaker 2: Very much ongoing.
Speaker 12: Not only did we crack into the fraud that these perpetrators committed on the grand stage of the NBA, but we also entered and executed a system of justice against Laksinoshra to include the Bonano, Gambino, Genevesi and Luchas crime families. The fraud is mind boggling. It's not hundreds of dollars, it's not thousands of dollars. It's not tens of thousands of dollars. It's not even millions of dollars. We're talking about tens of millions of dollars in fraud and theft and robbery.
Speaker 2: We've been watching you guys for years.
Speaker 12: A multi year investigation.
Speaker 3: You know, when they say, don't make a federal case out of it, you know, don't make it real serious.
Speaker 2: This seems like a federal case.
Speaker 4: Well, once you go down the road with those New York crime families, you're in trouble. Yeah, both ways. I've seen all the movies, I've read all the books. I've been to Spark steakhouse in New York City.
Speaker 3: Terry Rozier is accused of participating in an illegal sports betting scheme using insider NBA information. As part of the scheme, gamblers us non public information to bet on at least seven NBA games between March twenty twenty three and March twenty twenty four, involving the Hernets, the Magic, the Blazers, the Lakers, and the Raptors. According to the indictment.
Speaker 4: Can we recap that Terry Roseier signed one hundred million dollar contract and he's involved in this stuff. He's never going to play again in the NBA. No, he's not. And I think he has two more years on his contract. That money's gone too.
Speaker 3: Chauncey Phillips was arrested and charged in He'll Never Coach Again, a separate and dictment alleging wide ranging schemes to rig underground poker games that were backed by the mafia Families. Authority said the defendants are accused of using technology to steal millions from victims in the New York area big whales getting But how.
Speaker 4: Is Chauncey Billups involved in that?
Speaker 3: Hey, you want to play with Chauncey Billups? You want to play poker with Chauncey. They get them to come and play poker, these rich guys, and they lose it all because the mafia is fixing the game. The technology used X ray machines built into tables to read face down cards, contact lenses had glasses that read pre marked cards, secret cameras in the trays.
Speaker 4: This may end poker games non casino forever.
Speaker 3: Perhaps, And I still don't know about that shoot. Former eleven year NBA player Damon Jones was arrested because he allegedly disclosed private injury information about dominant basketball players or a player to facilitate illegal sports betting. Authorities announced Lemrounium Lebron Jay was that prominent player. James not accused of wrongdoing in the indictment. I mean, the guy played with Lebron and knows all of Lebron's people, so it's not necessarily calling Lebron and saying are you playing to night or not?
Speaker 2: Because he was a coach at the time in the Lakers, right, so he knew that he wasn't playing, probably a shoot around, so in between shoot around in the time the Lakers announced he wasn't playing. Yep.
Speaker 3: UCLA's three and four in college football, two and two and Big ten play, but they're undefeated with their new coaching staff.
Speaker 2: They tired everybody and then the team took off.
Speaker 3: They play Indiana and they're probably gonna get harpooned like those big poker whales. Unbelieving Indiana being number two is like the equivalent of Washington State being the best team in college basket ball and just blowing everybody away, and no one's ever seen anything like that.
Speaker 2: I mean, I know the Arne Kent years were great, but they weren't number two in the count exactly.
Speaker 3: Nine AM, Big Dune Kick, nine AM out here from Bloomington. Bruins are a twenty five and a half point road dog and we are against them. When the whip quack USC five and two with a bye, no one will run their defense over this week. They'll be at Nebraska in two weeks take on the Huskers. Chargers are taking on the Vikings as we speak. They can dog win or lose. You can listen on KFI AM six forty and the Rams are five and two. They're on a bye and they're at home versus the eighths in two weeks. So we'll be right back with more great sports. Doc Don McLain in the house. We're having a great time. We'll do Dead and Alive at the end of the hour and David Vassy will be on with Dodger Talk pre World Series post Media Day live from Toronto Dodger Talk.
Speaker 1: We've made it even easier to take LA Sports with you this summer. Make AM five to seventy or your favorite AM five seventy LA Sports podcast a preset on the iHeartRadio app using Apple CarPlay or Android Auto.
Speaker 2: Road Trip all summer with LA Sports.
Speaker 3: Welcome Back, It's Petrosen Money on AM five seventy LA Sports, your home of the Dodgers. We had David vass On in the four o'clock hour. Don McClain is here in Game one of the twenty twenty five World Series is tomorrow here on am FI seventy LA Sports. From the field of the worksite, Strauss Powers our World Series coverage on am FI seventy LA Sports, Dodgers, Blue Jays, Smell on the Mound Game one tomorrow, Matt and I will start at two. Don McLain's been here all day. We've had some hot basketball top and some hot gambling talk, and we do have some textoso's. But did you know Don that Matt's arch nemesis, Matt undy Smith was on today earlier too. Ye, his arch nemesis, and it's kind of a one way street. Derek Carr, former Raider quarterback and Saints quarterback, was on scam this morning with Steve Saux and Jim Kats and it was a big impactful interview about the Dodgers and how awesome they are and what a big Dodger fan he is. I mean, Derek Carry's Fresno state legend that's not chopped liver No. Would you like to hear some highlights? Yep, just for Matt.
Speaker 2: Here you go.
Speaker 10: You see if the daughters a bunch of guys that want to be the guy, but the difference is that they're selfless. At some point, you know, this is the thing that I get bothered in the media sidebow now that i'm media, all right, this is the part that bothers me that if you just talked about Mookie Bets when he was a Red Sox. Everyone loves Mookie. He's a great player, plays hard, can play everything. Same thing with Ready, same thing with Showy, same thing with Taoscar.
Speaker 2: All these guys, the.
Speaker 10: Name them Max. Love these guys, love them, love them, love them. And now all of a sudden, they're all together and they're all selfless, and they're all playing and everyone hates them, and it's like it blows my mind. I was like, these guys, we should be celebrating this collection of talent that none of your other owners wanted to pay for. Let's just celebrate the fact that they're together and they're showing kids all around the world that it still takes a team that you could be selfless, that you can. I mean, Mookie Betts is a Hall of Famer, He's like, no, bet, second, it's okay. I'm like what you know, Like that's like that's Freddy, Freddy's batting forth. Sometimes I'm like, bro that that this is blowing my mind, you know, like he's on this is crazy. But they will all do that for each other. And I think that that is the reason and that is what it honestly excites to be so much about showing my kids this team is like, guys, you're not going to see a collection of talent like this, hopefully just with the Dodgers, but you're not going to see a collection of talent like this, good hall of famers everywhere that really just care about each other and care about the ultimate goal. And that's what team sports is supposed to be fantasy football, and you know, in Twitter and all these things have changed it to be so much about each individual. I was like, it's the team sports and wants him the best of the best play as a team to be speaking volumes to pop porn or high school and college coaches everywhere because these are the best. This is the best team potentially ever assembled, and they're doing it for each other and they're celebrating taskers, throwing seeds that everybody because everyone's at home runs and so uh you know, I just I absolutely love it and and also shot out got out that BAHAs man that guy. Yeah, I have to do that because he's one of my favorite players, obviously for what he stands for, but the player he is. And in the runs he's saving with that right arm. I get fired up about the arms. Guys, I'm sorry, he save and runs with that right arm, and so I get fired up about that stuff.
Speaker 2: How cool was that? He is a die hard Dodgers fan. Rattling Off has his name tay Oscar Hernandez, and he's right. And he got a lot of reaction on Instagram when he posted his comments. This is a bunch of superstars on a team that have put their egos aside and realized, hey, if we're gonna win a championship, we're got to sacrifice a little from all of us in order to win a title.
Speaker 3: Yeah right, okay, but how did you put him on to Spie Matt or did you put him on because it's Derek Carr.
Speaker 2: I put him on because I saw his tweets and his comments on his new YouTube video that he's doing with his brother every week David on Tuesdays, and I saw him talking about the Dodgers. We saw him at a Dodger stadium a couple of weeks ago with his family, and I thought, no better person to talk Dodgers than one big Dodger fan and Derek Carr, right. I mean I tried Justin Bateman, but I didn't have Chase and Baden whenever his name is Justine is the sister?
Speaker 4: Is Paisley still hanging around Paisley's Dave's guy like him?
Speaker 3: And or if you got Paisley, I wouldn't even try and he'd do it.
Speaker 2: Paisley the chance don't Dodgers on the radio. I don't think he do that to Dave. I don't think he would do it.
Speaker 4: Really.
Speaker 2: Him and David, like the guys are laying together, but they got something special. I mean it's it's at a different level. I mean, smell Zilla's at a level and then you go like way above it. That's Brad Paisley Country superstar Brad Paisley. All right, fair enough, good question though, Don's great, great questions.
Speaker 3: Yeah, they're sometimes they're hard to answer though. Yeah, And that's the thing that's like some real journal. It's like sixty minutes.
Speaker 4: When I drive home after the show, I go back through all my questions. I asked to see how many times I tripped you guys out?
Speaker 2: And it happens all the time.
Speaker 3: Yeah, yeah, I feel like pitfall when you're up here here hold a Tari game.
Speaker 2: Do you ever just go on your phone to your memos and just gonna start asking yourself questions for later like Dawn in the future. What do you think about this?
Speaker 6: Hey?
Speaker 4: Now, because I already know the answer to it.
Speaker 2: Please, Tim, come on, that was a bridge too far? All right?
Speaker 3: Scam coming up tomorrow at six am. Well, wonder who Kate's will get tomorrow? With the world series looming.
Speaker 2: Sean Casey from the MLB Network will be on tomorrow at seven o'clock in the morning.
Speaker 3: Past Day's got Kershaw on the next hour.
Speaker 2: Dude, We're not what not either?
Speaker 1: Right?
Speaker 2: Yeah? Okay?
Speaker 7: The secret text does at line brought to you by your so called Toyota dealers.
Speaker 13: We make it easy, hey, p I'm an addiction psychologist. If you want to call it addiction. It does not discriminate against a person's income. It's the high they're chasing, not the money. It's like the high we get from winning. You can't get a high from winning, or even losing, or being sneaky, or even from cheating. The risk can be the biggest high. The danger can be the drug. Even nice guys like Chauncey Billups can get hooked on the secrecy and danger or the winning can be enhanced by the feeling of power over a person the one being duped. The brain reward system is a powerful thing, Don, He keeps the species reproducing, It builds skyscrapers and bridges. That same reward system can be stimulated by illegal activity. Thought, I'd give my two cents. Robert in corvallis your thoughts, Don.
Speaker 4: It makes sense. I don't know much about addiction psychology.
Speaker 3: And get a real high hanging out with these mobsters. Yeah, you know, I could see it for sure. That was an addiction specialist that listens to our show.
Speaker 2: We heard Dallas. Yeah, we have that kind of reach.
Speaker 3: So know that Another textoso here on the old secret Textosal line, Oh, this is about our Blue Jays song. I don't feel like this, says Don McClain deserves better than this. Yep, this is Rogan and Rodney lovel ass cheeks. Now, look, Rogan and Rodney never play the opposing team songs. I feel like the opposing team song stuff on our show has been fun. It's gotten us through the postseason. And if you're one of those superstitious types, the Dodgers haven't lost while we do it.
Speaker 2: Is that a fly ball?
Speaker 4: Is it a seagull foorst song I've ever heard.
Speaker 2: Coming in from the lake to catch the game?
Speaker 3: It's the last game.
Speaker 4: This sounds like a song for like five year olds learning the game of baseball.
Speaker 3: Well that's what the guy said. He said like they weren't a good team, they were just getting started. And the marketing guy that told him to write the song, that was his whole thing, Like the Blue Jays are just okay, So they wrote Okay, blue Jay, let's play ball.
Speaker 2: Awful. Come on, look at this ballpark. It's all dark.
Speaker 4: I don't mind the concept, pe off you playing the opposing team song, but some of these songs, man, all right.
Speaker 2: Fine, he doesn't like it.
Speaker 3: This guy sent me a picture of one of those giant skeletons from Halloween that sucks so bad in the back of his jeep, looking all scary with its head sticking out, and he wrote, it's been hard to find creative use for these giant McClain skeletons. They do seem like the most superfluous decoration of all time. Like it was cool when like there was one on the block and like you were like, whoa, you know, like no one had seen those before. But now there's like every three or four houses there's a giant skeleton.
Speaker 4: Like Pete, there's a house in my neighborhood. Now, granted the houses are a little bigger where I live. There's one house that has six of those across their front lawn.
Speaker 3: Six of them, I'm not kidding on acting out of scene. And what's crazy is is one of them, the one on the one end, has a pumpkinhead. Yeah, okay, but then the other five are just regular scales. I'll take, you know, some creativity. There's one guy that leaves his up all all Christmas and puts a big ass Santa hat on it, and it's like, okay, you know, but I just don't understand. It looks like a video game.
Speaker 2: Now, yes, what kind of candy are we handing it out at the mcclan house? Like full snicker bar? I think we've been again.
Speaker 4: And I hate the way that all this sounds because whatever trick or treaters don't come to our house. Okay, that makes sense. Wait, we don't get a lot of either. We're well it's that. But also you know you're looking for efficiency in your trigger from the bottom of the cul de sac. You're you're spending an hour and you get to like ten houses in my neighborhood.
Speaker 2: I gotch. It makes sense.
Speaker 4: We always had to go somewhere else for our kids to triggers because it's all farmland. Right, Yeah, what about you, Pete?
Speaker 2: What do you guys hand out at the old Papa Deekas you know, usually we.
Speaker 3: Put out you know, just like the normal bag you buy at the market, No full anything, And usually we go to a party or something, so we leave it in the front yard and some one kid comes.
Speaker 2: In port please take one, No, because they're all a home. You know they're gonna anyway. Yeah, everybody's the worst person in the world. Well, now you got ring cameras. That's the problem. Yeah, we can see the one kid or the whole thing. But whatever, what am I gonna do? Hey, chummy, put that back.
Speaker 3: I got other things to do. I'm going to local parties and things of that nature. Look at this text. I love this song. I can't get enough.
Speaker 2: No. Yeah, dude, people, it's an ear word ballpark.
Speaker 4: I didn't realize you guys all dog. I didn't realize you guys had six year old listeners.
Speaker 3: Because you thought our listeners was like MENSA members, like Massa's older brother. Did you know that about Massa's older brother, He's like a really smart guy.
Speaker 2: I think I did know that?
Speaker 3: Is like, Yeah, speaking of David Vass, yesterday, I was asked to play this for you. Uh, yesterday morning, I was driving along and Tim Kates I was listening to Scam and Tim Kates brings David Vass on David Vasse going to Toronto today, this and that and there's something wrong with the digital receiver or something on our phone system. And Dave literally sounded like a death metal like and like they just wore ear listen.
Speaker 2: I want to know that. David Vass, David, good morning.
Speaker 1: How you doing Buddy, Good morning guys, and then I'm gonna go out on to live here and stay.
Speaker 2: The seven o'clock hour has been the best hour of the entire postseason. I was listening dropping off the.
Speaker 4: Kids that that it sounds like when they when they interview like former gang members or.
Speaker 3: Drunk podcast protect you. Yeah, Dave, what did the Five Families do to you?
Speaker 1: Well?
Speaker 2: There was terrible. Hey, good morning guys, and man, I'm gonna go out.
Speaker 3: All right, we'll be back. We're having a good time. Little grab ass full show. Not even a replay of an interview Don McLain with the Dead and the Live Guy. Birthday of the Day coming up next on A five seventy. Don't forget David mass with Dodger Talk. He's got Clayton Kershaw, Tim Kats in the morning with Scam we'll get you ready for the World Series and we'll be on tomorrow at two.
Speaker 1: Hello, PMS listener, did you know Am five seventy? LA Sports has a y range of LA Sports podcasts. There's Rogan and Ronde. That one is my favorite, Dodger Talk with David Vasse, the Dodger podcast of record, Clipper Talk without a Musk follow us all and many more. Just go to a five seventy LA Sports on the iHeartRadio app.
Speaker 3: Well, a big thank you to Don McLean, BFF of the Petros and Money Show.
Speaker 2: Not under federal investigation of any kind. It's doing five. What do we know about?
Speaker 3: The Clippers are taking on the Suns at some point Fririday, but not this Friday on eleven fifty because the World Series is this Friday on the Petros. Somebody show please start at two? All right, don you got the dead guy. Birthday of the day today, I.
Speaker 4: Do happy would have been one hundredth birthday to Johnny Carson, who did things a lot differently than the late night talk show guys do now, I would say.
Speaker 3: I would agree with that. Yeah, well people watched Johnny Carson. Yeah, yeah, exactly.
Speaker 4: Born and raised in Iowa, joined the Navy during World War Two, serving as a communications officer. After the war, went to the University of Nebraska, Oh, Let's call Huskers, with a degree in radio and speech. After college's first work was the morning Show.
Speaker 3: That if I knew that was going to be my life, I would have made show Morning show.
Speaker 4: You said, did a morning show in Omaha, which inspired Tim Caates to create Scam in the Mornings, but only briefly, because he moved to la where he landed a TV job as a writer on a comedy show. Wasn't long before he was hosting that show Petros. Johnny Carson moved to New York, where he was the host of ABC's Who Do You Trust?
Speaker 2: Remember that one?
Speaker 3: No, I don't, but that's where because I knew he ended up in New York, which is where that That's a Night Show started.
Speaker 4: Well, you probably didn't, because it was from nineteen fifty seven to nineteen sixty two.
Speaker 3: Well missed it a little before your time missed it by about fifteen years.
Speaker 4: His success on that show led NBC to invite him to take over the Tonight Show, Who Do You Take It Over?
Speaker 2: From Tim Parr? Jack Parr, Jack Parr, Jack Parr. It was already a thing.
Speaker 4: He initially declined, but six months later he signed on to do it. Very quickly, the Tonight Show with Johnny Carson became one of the most most watched shows on TV. In seventy two, the Tonight Show moved from New York City to the NBC studios here in Burbank because of the studio's proximity to celebrities makes sense.
Speaker 2: Yeah, right across the street is where they did it. Right by the way, you know that studio now is the iHeart Theater, the old Tonight Show.
Speaker 4: Speaking of celebrities, I've been reading a lot lately.
Speaker 1: Pe.
Speaker 4: I did not know that Bob Waterfield was married to Jane Russell.
Speaker 2: Did you know that?
Speaker 6: No?
Speaker 2: I did know that Grace Kelly was Bet Narick's mistress. It's pretty good.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I didn't realize Bob Waterfield was that big of a deal.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 3: Well, you know, back in the day, those hot chicks, they still like that athlete cock.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 4: In nineteen eighty, Carson stopped hosting five shows per week. Instead, Monday's featured a guest host, leaving Carson to host the other four weeknights. At his peak, Johnny Carson was the highest paid personality on TV, earning about fourteen or four million a year. It's about nineteen million today. Damn retired in ninety two at age sixty six. When he stepped down as host of The Tonight Show, NBC gave the role of hosts to the show's then current permanent guest host, Jay Leno.
Speaker 3: That's right, friend of the Tim Conway Junior Show. Is he awarer of the Canadian tuxedo?
Speaker 2: Really?
Speaker 4: After his retirement, Johnny Carson stayed out of the spotlight. He was rarely seen or heard from, married four times, three sons with the first wife. Was a heavy smoker and that's what ultimately killed him. Died at age seventy nine here in LA from emphysema.
Speaker 3: Yeah, and also yeah, he liked tennis as well. But he went on sixty minutes. You mentioned the difference between Today's Late Night and the ones that we watched when people actually were into it. And I mean he had the idea that I don't want to alienate anybody in my audience, right, And he went on sixty minutes because some people wanted him to be that way, because you know, he's probably a Democrat or whatever. And here was his answer on sixty minutes.
Speaker 10: Well, I have an answer to that. I said, no, tell me the last time that Jack Benny red Skelton.
Speaker 11: It's any comedian use his show to do serious issues.
Speaker 10: That's not what I'm there for. Can't they see that? But you and I do they.
Speaker 3: Think that just because you have it.
Speaker 11: Tonight's show that you must deal with serious issues.
Speaker 2: That's a danger.
Speaker 5: It's a real danger.
Speaker 10: Once you start that, do you start to forget that.
Speaker 11: Self important feeling that's what you say has great import and you know, strangely enough, you could use that show as a form you could.
Speaker 2: Sway people, and I don't think you should. As an entertainer.
Speaker 3: It's a danger, interesting, interesting comedy, laughter, how about it to entertain everybody, not just at the country.
Speaker 2: How about it? You know he wanted David Letterman to take over for him. That's been talking. That's a big old thing, all right.
Speaker 3: Well from San Pedro forty years old R and B singer Miguel. Now, I was tempted to do Dwight Yoakam for you country types Kate's and don but Miguel, it's from San Pedro and that was the factor that tipped the scales.
Speaker 4: Heard a song of Yoakam's on the way over here.
Speaker 3: Well there you go, because it's his birthday, right, Miguel pim and tell it's from San Pedro.
Speaker 2: And he recently played well not recently, but he's played.
Speaker 3: The on a grand theater on Sixth Street, down the street from a Dad's restaurant. His mom is a Mexican, his father is a black man. Went to San Pedro High School. Let's Go Pirates became interested in music as a team. Two thousand he signed a production deal he was trying in the early two thousands he signed a bigger production deal with Jive than RCA, and then on and on. Mostly I'm excited don that he is from San Pedro sounds like it does R and B. I don't know if you might have noticed that funk, hip hop, rock and electronic music all kind of blended together in what era he you know, Bill Modern? Yeah, he's forty. He sang in the Disney movie Coco. Put out a Latin album. Last month he did a thing with a guy from BTS, which is the most popular.
Speaker 2: Ban of the world Korean boy band.
Speaker 3: He said to be into transcendental meditation, which was also something that David Lynch was really into. He's married to a model, then divorced, and last month it was revealed that he had fathered a child with the Chinese editor.
Speaker 2: Of Vogue former editor of Vogue China, bastard child. So there you go. From Sam Pedro, Let's Go Pirates.
Speaker 3: They're saying his praises from Gaffy all the way up to Western, all the way down to Pacific, and all the numbered streets in between.
Speaker 4: Today probably should have went with Yoakim Miguel. Not enough of a resume.
Speaker 2: That was way too we mean way too showing a four hours show.
Speaker 3: Check your local listings and you check the iHeartRadio app for the podcast.
Speaker 2: We'll be up there.
Speaker 3: Doctor Talk with David Massey is coming up. Next series is tomorrow. We'll be on a Flex alert at two o'clock. The one and only Don McClain. Ladies and gentlemen, nobody's better. I'd say follow him on X but he's not really on there.
Speaker 2: No, I'm not.
Speaker 3: Check check the College Hoop schedule you'll see it.
Speaker 2: Be here. Good night, enjoy Bass checked out this con