Speaker 1: For the back to back World champions of Baseball.
Speaker 2: One of the greatest runs in the history of baseball.
Speaker 1: Immortality is within their reach. Incredible and while others make excuses.
Speaker 3: The only reason the Dodgers are doing this because they.
Speaker 2: Can't they printing money.
Speaker 1: The Dodgers just can't continue.
Speaker 3: It's not fair.
Speaker 1: Are making plans.
Speaker 4: Yeah, it's a singular focus on controlling what they can control.
Speaker 1: Now your pregame host of the world champion La Dodgers, tam Cats, Hi.
Speaker 5: Everybody, and welcome in to Molrongo Casino. Dodgers on deck. It's a cool Saturday afternoon. April twenty fifth, twenty twenty six, is cloudy and gloomy here in Los Angeles, and now Dodger fans film like that as well. After the Dodgers lost last night's series opener to the Chicago Cubs, Dodgers now.
Speaker 3: Seventeen to nine on this season.
Speaker 5: They start the day a half game back of the Padres in the NL West. Today they look to turn the page though on last night, get back on track. Roki Sasaki on the mount on his bobblehead giveaway. It's also a special day for our own Rick. Monday fifty years ago. Today he saved the American flag from two Yahoo's trying to burn it in left field the Dodgers Stadium. We salute Rick, a US Marine Corps Reserve veteran, for what he did. More on that and from Rick coming up over the next hour plus first pitch from uniclove Field.
Speaker 3: That Dodgers Stadium is coming up at four fifteen.
Speaker 5: Coming up between then and now that we got a lot to get to here on Moroco Casino Dodgers on Deck. We're gonna hear from the Dodger manager, Dave Roberts. We're gonna hear from Andrew Freeman, the president of baseball Operations for the Dodgers. David Vasaid checks in throughout the hour, and of course we will hear from Steven Nelson and Rick Monday out at the gallopin Ford Broadcast booth. Well, last night at the Ravine, a tail of two games really for the Dodgers, one that started out great, but one that ended not so much. And she ain't got the start. The big right hander was good. He struck out seven of the first nine batters he faced. He'd go six and a third, one run, four hits, ten punch outs. The Dodgers offense meanwhile, got after a cup starter Jamison tay On in the third, I Sung Kim single, Alex freelan walk, three batters later, two outs for Will Smith.
Speaker 6: Two sixty three, couple of home runs, eleven RB eyes and throughout his career, Will Smith has been a terrific clutch hitter.
Speaker 3: Let's see what he can do with two on.
Speaker 6: There's a fly ball the right fielding deep back, go Suzuki to.
Speaker 1: The wall and in his call, a home run.
Speaker 6: Will Smith, when you're hot, You're hot, a three run blest.
Speaker 3: It's his third home run of the year.
Speaker 6: He's knocked in fourteen and the Dodgers leads three nothing, three run home run for Will Smith.
Speaker 5: That's the top ship play of the game, brought to you by RCO quality topsier gash for a less Dodgers a three.
Speaker 3: To nothing lead.
Speaker 5: In the fourth, it was the Dodgers bottom half of the lineup that got it going, Max Munts. He went out double two batters later, with two outs, I Sung Kim with an RBI single that gave the Dodgers a four to nothing lead. Him and she had fished into the seventh after he give up a one out single day Roberts came and got him. Alex Vessia got a fly ball out, then walked PCA for Dancy Swanson and hit a two out triple, making it a four to two Dodgers lead. Next, Bider Horner and RBI single to left that made it a one run game.
Speaker 3: Dodgers lead was down to four to three. In the eighth.
Speaker 5: The Dodgers' lead was gone when Blake trying and gave up a lead off home run to Alex Bregman. Dodgers and Cubs tied at four. In the top half of the ninth inning, Tanner Scott on in relief. Same results a leadoff single to the PCA. Then Dansby Swanson went Deeve Scott.
Speaker 7: The lefty looking straight ahead at PCA. The pitch comes home and Swanson turns on a ball to left field and deep. The Cubs half jumped ahead a two run blast from Dansby Swanson out of the ninth spot of the order in Chicago.
Speaker 2: With this sixth consecutive.
Speaker 5: Run two run home run for Swanson, Cubs with six unanswered runs come back and beat the Dodgers last night six to four. The Dodgers' top three relievers, Vessi, has Tryna and Scott all got hit around. Meanwhile, the Dodgers' big hitters got shut out. Show Io Tani struck out three times to go with the walk. Freddie Freeman was zero for four. Kyle Tucker oh for three at the walk against his former team. A disappointing night for the Dodgers, no doubt, who have now lost five of their last eight. They're seventeen and nine. There a half game back of the Padres as they go into action today in the NL West.
Speaker 3: Today though, new day, new game.
Speaker 5: Rokie Sazaki on the mount on his bobblehead night first pitch A four fifteen and with more. Let's head out to the galloping Ford Broadcast booth as we say hello to Stephen Nelson and Rick Monday.
Speaker 2: Guys, all right, TC, thanks so much.
Speaker 7: Great to be back here on a very special day at Dodgers Stadium. Mo I know you're going to deflect everything away from you and out to the field. We'll get to you in a second. We do got to tie a bow on what happened last night. Not a great way to start the home stand, a great way to finish a ballgame for the Dodgers, but that tends to happen over the course of the year. When he woke up today, what were you thinking about with regards to the opener.
Speaker 8: I think frustration. I think that was probably taking place in the dugout and in the locker room after the game as well, because the Dodgers are squandered a Ford to nothing lead. But we start to analyze it, there was some positive I thought came out of the game itself. Defense, no question about it. Dodgers able to throw out two guys at home plate to see some good plays that are going to be made and were made needed to be made. But at the same time, now you're looking and not to show responsibility or trying to point fingers. But the bullpend did not hold up their end of the bargain and it really wasted. A magnificent outing by Emmitt Sheen, who went six and a third allowed just one run, only four hits, and it was at last inning where they finally got a run across. He had ten strikeouts that tied a career high. But as Dave Roberts was saying before the ballgame, he needed to move the ball around much better. Last night, chain speeds changed. Look, and that's exactly what he did.
Speaker 2: All right, Enough about that, now, all about you, all right, because today, fiftieth.
Speaker 1: Th that's enough about that.
Speaker 2: No, no, no, no, no, you're not getting off that easy.
Speaker 1: Look.
Speaker 7: I think anybody who's listened to you over the years or has stumbled upon our booth views on the medias of social they know that you don't get rattled by anything because you've seen and done everything that there is to see and do in this game. But I wonder, on a day like this, a fiftieth anniversary of a day that means so much to you and so much to so many people, and you have the people that mean the most to you here, I wonder if today's a little bit different, if the heart's beating a little bit different.
Speaker 8: It's not beating differently. But I think at the same time, I take a lot of pride in acting fifty years ago for what I thought was right to do at that moment. Uncomfortable at the same time, and being a right, honest uncomfortable with the attention that has been placed upon me because I did what everybody that I know would have done the same thing had they been geographically close in honor of those in particular with the military. But it's not just the military. It's a lot of people that make it convenient for you and I and everyone else. They have the conversations that we are having. That's part of the freedoms and rights that we have that's represented by this piece of material called our flag that Sunday afternoon years later. Now, I could not tell you exactly what was on my mind the incident I saw them, except that I was mad. I was irritated that they were there. And then when I saw the flag of being put on the ground and the lighter flu and being put on top of it, I was extremely mad because again I made a move that I thought was right fifty years ago. Nothing has changed my mind since then, and I'm very very happy that I happen to be close enough to do something about it.
Speaker 7: And isn't it crazy because I can't imagine that the schedulers in Major League Baseball had any idea when they were thrown together the twenty twenty sixth schedule.
Speaker 2: That the Dodgers would be hosting the Cubs on this day.
Speaker 8: Yeah, when I first saw the schedule, I did not even recognize it. I think my wife, Barb believe was the one. The pointer now says, Hey, by the way, have you looked at the April twenty fifth I said, no, I have it. Look at what is this goes the Cubs are Dodger Stadium. I went, oh, my goodness, Wow, Wow, what.
Speaker 2: A special day.
Speaker 7: And Mo, it's an honor and Pluggridge told be with you every single day, but especially on this one. And TC is to get it back to you, just to paint a picture. Rip Monday's gonna suit and tie today, all right, so you know it's a big day.
Speaker 8: Yeah, you want to get back by ten o'clock.
Speaker 7: I tried to convince him to go matching Aloha shirts and he wouldn't go for it till I go down.
Speaker 8: It was cheaper to just buy it and rent it for about ten hours instead of on an hourly basis.
Speaker 7: All right, you're not in the hot seat yet. We're gonna get a key from you a little bit later. Until then, Tim, take it away in the studio.
Speaker 3: All right, thanks a lot, Nelly.
Speaker 5: It is all about Rick Monday today the fiftieth anniversary of the day he saved the American flag. As we can't dive down to first bitch. Dodger fans, get your game day meal on.
Speaker 3: It's Shaky's Pizza Parlor.
Speaker 5: You can wear You're Shaky's Pizza and Chicken and Mojo's right now at Shaky's dot Com. Coming up here on Dodgers on Deck, you're gonna hear from the manager Dave Roberts. We'll check in with David bat Say we got your magical moments. We'll dive deeper to this pitching matchup. That's all coming up as we lead you up to Dodgers and Cubs on this gloomy Saturday afternoon. First pitch at four fifteen. Next for being with us, I'm Tim Kates. Is the back to back World Series champion Dodgers.
Speaker 9: Oh do you know?
Speaker 1: This is Morongo Casino Dodgers Hunting game on your home for La Dodgers Baseball.
Speaker 5: It's the Dodgers and the Chicago Cubs. Rookie Sasaki Colin Ray of the pitching matchup. First pitch coming up at four fifteen. This is the Otani Rewy Well Show. Hey Otani last night, Oh for three, three strikeouts in a walk. Now hitting two thirty seven on this season with the five home runs and eleven RBI show hey Otani offensively does not have an extra base hit in over a week. So the Dodgers says, they sit right now at seventeen and nine, and he show Hey o Tani and the rest of the top of the lineup to start getting going offensively. More on that with David Bass coming up in just a little bit. Dodgers Baseball's brought to you by Cars for Kids. The easiest way to get rid of your old car. Now, donate it today. Your car could be picked up tomorrow. It's that easy. Donate now and carsfour Kids dot Org. That's Cars with a K still to come here on Marongo Casino, Dodgers on Devil Dive deeper into this pitching matchup. David Bass goes one on one with Alex Friedman. Andrew Friedman, Yes, there's Alex, there's so many Dodgers Freeland, Freddie Freeman.
Speaker 3: Of course we're gonna for Andrew Freeman.
Speaker 5: Coming up in just a little bit, Dodgers President of Baseball Operations. As we lead drop to first pitch on this Saturday Dodgers and the Cubs. I'm Tim kateson the back to back World Series champion Dodgers Audio Networks.
Speaker 1: This is Marongo Casino Dodgers on Tache on your home for the Blue all season long.
Speaker 5: Morongo Casino Dodgers on Decade News on this Saturday afternoon. As we leave you up to first pitch, Dodgers and the Cubbies, Morongo Casino Resort and Spa a Grand Slam for good times. Rookie Sasaki on the Mountain first pitch at four fifteen.
Speaker 1: It's the LA Dodgers Injury.
Speaker 5: Report presented by UCLA Healthy, Official medical partner of the Los Angeles Dodgers. Edwin Diaz on the IL recovering from right elbow surgery. He hopes to be back after the All Star break. Mooky Bets on the IL with the right oblique strain. He is slowly working his way back. Ben Cospiras on the IL with the right shoulder inflammation. Tommy Edmond on the sixty DAIL to start the season, recovering from off season ankle surgery.
Speaker 3: As is Keiky Hernandez on.
Speaker 5: The sixty day IL after he had elbow surgery on his non throwing elbow. He is progressing nicely. Bruce dar Graderol Blake Snell, Brock Stewart Landon, Nat, Gavinstone, Evan phillips On, Eil Snell and Snort by the way, already on minor league rehab assignments. All right, let's head back out the ravine as we check out with the Dodger skipper.
Speaker 10: Any questions for Dave Dave?
Speaker 9: Can you just describe Dave?
Speaker 3: Can you talk about the pressure in.
Speaker 1: The dugouts with Dave Roberts.
Speaker 11: Will's back's a little little tight, so, uh, you know, figured I'd give him an extra day, see how he comes in tomorrow and then you know, Max a little under the weather and uh so I wanted to, you know, get him up there and get a few few, get an extra bat versus Ray, and I just felt like leaving Tuck in the foe.
Speaker 1: I like that.
Speaker 11: And yeah, I got Dalton in there. So that's kind of the.
Speaker 1: Thought still back you guys.
Speaker 11: No, No, it's just more of you know, if I had him playing uh you know, two of three and so there's really no cost and giving him today and playing them tomorrow.
Speaker 1: Lin did does that kind of flare up?
Speaker 11: Uh? Yesterday, maybe a couple of days ago. Just a little tightness, but uh, nothing of concern right now.
Speaker 8: Yeah, with the show.
Speaker 12: It is just like the last five people has it just been kind of weird for you getting what he some the last years.
Speaker 1: To see him and you can go through like Rowe or the kind of spaces.
Speaker 11: Yes, you don't hear the word slump correlated with show hey on the hitting side ever, So it is it is certainly unique. So but yeah, he's working and it'll it'll balance itself out. But yeah, he's going through it right now.
Speaker 2: Any part of this.
Speaker 12: Is just like everything that goes back and being a full time picture and having relearn my downs, his body and kind of work.
Speaker 7: Through that transition.
Speaker 11: Say on this year, I think so, you know, last year there was a slow build up where you could argue that or the truth is is that he was more focused on the hitting because of there wasn't much demand on the pitching side. And then right now, you know, you start the season where he's at with the innings and pitches and all that stuff, that you could argue that there's more focus on the pitching and there's more demand on the pitching and what we're asking of them. So there's got to be some you know, you know cut you know, cuts into some of the bandwidth the production on the offensive side, that's just common sense. So what it translates to, you know, how he's been swinging the bat in the last you know, a week. How much of that is the pitching. I don't have an answer for that, but that's to be understood that there's some kind of into production given how much he's pitching.
Speaker 1: Yet.
Speaker 5: All right, there's the manager, Dave Roberts talking with the media just a few minutes ago. When we continue here Amarago Casino Dodgers on deck, we'll check in with David Vase. Also coming up, your magical moments on the fiftieth anniversary of Rick Monday saving the American Flag.
Speaker 3: Also here from Charlie Steiner.
Speaker 5: That's all coming up as we leads up to the Dodgers and Cubs on this gloomy Saturday afternoon. First pitch from Uniclo Field at Dodger Stadium at four fifteen of Tim Kates is the back to back World Series champion Dodgers Audio Network.
Speaker 1: As we were saying, this is Marongo Casino Dodgers on jack on the official home of La Dodgers Baseball.
Speaker 3: Dodgers and Cubs.
Speaker 5: Rookie Sisaki on the mount first pitch at four to fifteen. Todches Baseball brought to you by Alpato, born in La Made for your game day. Alpato brings authentic Mexican style tomato, sauces, salsas and hot sauces to your table El Pato Gourmet and a can.
Speaker 1: Joining Tim Kats on Dodgers on Deck.
Speaker 4: I accept everybody for who they are.
Speaker 1: This is Dodger insider David Bassi.
Speaker 5: Well, DV, we don't say this very often, but uh show hey. Otani's in a slump.
Speaker 4: Yeah, big time slump. The longest drought without hitting a home run since becoming a Dodger to start twenty twenty four, fifty two played appearances for Otani without hitting a home run. And something interesting that Jose Motis said last night on Dodger Talk is that he's noticed O'tani has gone into a greater slump since being hit by a pitch in the first game of that three game series against the Mets on the last homestand David Peterson plunked him on the back right shoulder. Since the then his next ten games, including last night, he is hitting one eighty nine with a slugging percentage of just two seventy no home runs, twelve strikeouts and four walks, and Dave Roberts was asked about whether or not that was something that sent him psychologically or mechanically into a downward spiral, and he said, there's been no indication of that, but certainly this is not something anybody is used to seeing from Shoho Tani in a Dodger uniform.
Speaker 3: That is for sure.
Speaker 5: David is brought to you by the Ford Maverick Motor Trends of the North American Truck of the Year, the Fort Maverick Everything you need in the most innovative truck with forty two miles per gallon at the most MSRP of its category. It's time to see Ford in a new light. Go to your Southern California Ford Dealers today. Last night the Dodgers' three best relievers got touched up in a loss. Is there any bullpen help on the way, dB.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I got good news today. Bruce star Graderol actually threw to hitters today at Camelback Ranch, and that's further than he has gone in the last two years trying to come back from shoulder surgery.
Speaker 10: So that's great news.
Speaker 4: He's on his way back, and brock Stewart is in the middle of his rehab a signmon. He's gonna throw back to back games and should be rejoining the team maybe as soon as the next homestand which is a huge boost for the Dodgers as they are looking for a high leverage right handed reliever. And if they get Gradarol and brock Stewart back here by the end of May, they'll be in good shape with this bullpen that obviously has shown some leaks. But you know, last April things were not pretty for the Dodgers either, and they still went on to win ninety three games and the World Series.
Speaker 3: Oh good news, some more arms are on the way, all right, David.
Speaker 5: Now time for the Dodger and Dirty brought to by Santa Anita Park. We pick the races, we go head to head, and at the end of the spring season we'll see who's got the most correct wins. We're picking tomorrow's third race of Santa Anita one mile nine horse race.
Speaker 3: Who do you like?
Speaker 10: I'm going with the number two horse, Burning Rubber.
Speaker 5: I'm gonna go with the five horse. I've been called this before. The Mysterious Husband mysterious husband. So good luck to you.
Speaker 9: David.
Speaker 5: Time Santa Anita to go out and see all the races every Friday, Saturday and Sunday on the weekends. Admission, parking and a program just ten dollars. Fridays, it's free. Explore new experiences at the Great Race Place, Santa Needa dot com slash events to find out more.
Speaker 3: Coming up here on Dodgers on Deck, we.
Speaker 5: Are gonna hear from Andrew Friedman, President of Baseball Operations. We got your magical moment though. When we return, don't go anywhere. I'm Tim kas Is the back to back World Series champion Dodgers Audio Network.
Speaker 1: This is Morongo Casino Dodgers Hunting game on your home for La Dodgers Baseball Dodgers.
Speaker 5: And then comes a rookie Sasaki Colin Ray. The pitching matchup on this gloomy Saturday afternoon.
Speaker 3: First pitch coming up at four fifteen.
Speaker 1: Dog who wants the hot It's time for the Haffe Magical Moment, Bitch Magical Halby hot Jobs.
Speaker 5: We go back to April twenty fifth, nineteen seventy six, fifty years ago. Today, the Dodgers and Cubs out of Dodger Stadium while he was wearing a Chicago uniform. Our own Rick Monday save the American Flag while two fans were trying to burn it in left field of Dodger Stadium. Today we salute Rick Monday, US Marine Corps Reserve veteran.
Speaker 13: Sysmore fouled out in the first in ain't he's over one? And the first one outside by one And wait a minute, there's an animal loose.
Speaker 1: Two of them.
Speaker 13: All right, I'm not sure what he's doing out there. It looks like he's going to burn a flag.
Speaker 7: And Rick Monday runs and takes it away from him.
Speaker 13: And so on Monday, I think a guy was going to set fire to the American flag, can you imagine. So they've gotta lose him in a hurry. And Monday, when he realized what he was gonna do, race cover and took the flag away from him. And now the crowd is doing what they ought to do.
Speaker 1: All the time.
Speaker 9: Wooh.
Speaker 13: One of these characters for this guy was gonna try and perform the indignity of shutting fire to the American flag. And Rick, we'll get an ovation and properly.
Speaker 5: So great save by Rick Monday, American hero fifty years ago. Today to idiots trying to burn the American flag in left field during the Dodgers and Cubs game, Rick Monday, veteran, runs in and swoops up that American flag and no doubt, today we celebrate Rick Monday for his efforts. This Hofey magical moment brought to you by Haffey Hot Dogs, haffe so Cow's local treasure for nearly one hundred years. Haffey hot Dogs, Local and so great. Let me continue here. I'm Morongo Casino Dodgers on Deck. We will check in with Rick Monday and Charlie Steiner leading up to first pitch Dodgers and Cubs. I'm Tim Kass, the back to back World Series champion Dodgers Audio Network.
Speaker 1: This is Marongo Casino Dodgers on Deck on your home for the blue all.
Speaker 5: Season law Dodgers and Cubs on this Saturday afternoon. Rookie Sasaki Colin Ray of the pitching matchup. Time now for the Verizon startup is We're about forty minutes away from the start of the game. Now, Verizon, you can lock in your low price for three years so you can save big. Visit your so Cal Verizon store. Today we hand things off to Charlie Steiner.
Speaker 6: Well, congratulations Will fifty souvenir years ago today, you became a part of baseball legend. And Low, here's a question for you. I don't know if that's passed it. Have any idea what.
Speaker 10: You had for breakfast that morning?
Speaker 8: I have no idea. They start, I have no idea, And I could not tell you what I had for dinner because immediately after the ballgame, you know, with the Cubs, we played here on that Sunday afternoon, and then we went down to San Diego that evening to start the series down there, so it was it was all kind of fuzzy. I do remember that after the game, reporters are coming into the locker room, and I did request through the Dodgers if I could get that flag, and fortunately our Campanis, the Dodgers' organization, kept very close tabs. When the legal issue was taken care of, and it was about a couple of months later Dodgers came into Chicago at Wrigley Field and our Campanis presented me with that flag. The irony, as you well know, Charlie, throughout the years and the times that we had talked about it. That very flag that they were trying to desecrate on that Sunday afternoon here at Dodgers Stadium still has a lifespan and we've been honored and privileged enough to take it around the country at various times and to show it and do some fundraisers with it. And we hear every day, if not every week, at least as someone that's calling up a former military or maybe even a future military someone thinking about that, or a family member and just saying, you know, thanks for stepping up and protecting the rights and freedoms that we all enjoy in this country.
Speaker 6: Enjoy the day today. Dodgers did not enjoy themselves last night. Emmitt Sheen was terrific six and the third run and four hits, ten strikeouts in a walk, and then the bullpen imploded. And that's beginning to be a sign of real concern for this team.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it is.
Speaker 8: And too many runs have been given up in recent times. I remember the conversation that you and I had yesterday on the pregame show talking about Emmitt Shean, when Dave Roberts told the media that a he needed to be more efficient talking about Sheen he needed to fill the strength zone. And then sequencing was a word that he used. I remember you asked me yesterday what do you mean by sequencing? And I said, well, how are you following up with the curbo? You fall up with the fastball? What about the austb pitch. Well, his sequencing last night and filling up the zone, the strength zone that is was absolutely amazing to watch, a fun time to watch, and hopefully this is the Immachian that we're going to be seeing for the rest of the season.
Speaker 6: This is the first day of the season that Dodgers have not been in first place.
Speaker 1: There are half a game behind.
Speaker 6: The Padres will begin a two game series down in Mexico City with the Arizona Diamondbacks. Dodgers have lost five of their last seven and that bullpen we're talking about giving up eighteen runs and fifteen innings over the last seven games, giving up four home runs, and last night was really hard to watch.
Speaker 8: It was and had difficulty finding the strength zone in really areas of you normally don't see, including Alex Vessi, who worked as two thirds of an inning. It took him twenty pitches to find eight pitches in the strength zone, and that is very unusual for Vessia. Then it was trying to Scott and then Henrique is trying to spread the blame on anyone else. But the Dodgers know exactly what they have to do. And I think if you're looking, you know one guy. I want to just comment about it. Song Kim was very interesting, not only last night but of recent days. Had a couple of base hits. He had a stolen bays last night, knocked in a run on top of it. If he continues to improve with that swing that he had to kind of alter once he came back for the World Baseball Classic, he can really be a threat. And we're seeing a lot of range at the shortstop and or the second base position wherever he might be playing.
Speaker 6: And he can run Dodger starters. This year, collective bri two seventy five, it's the best in the National League. The bullpen at four sixty six, ranking thirteenth in the league. And of course Diaz is out. Now there's trying to find some stability where over the years it's been fairly stable. But right now, Rocky Ship.
Speaker 8: It has been I mentioned about ten days ago that it appeared that the bullpen was kind of settling into a routine. They knew whose name was going to be called depending upon the score, which inning. And I'm not certain that that same feeling is existing down there at the present time, because it's been some highs and some lows, and a couple of guys have had difficulty finding the strike zone, as Dave Roberts is talking about last night against san fill up the strike zone with pitch.
Speaker 6: Andy Pa has last night two remarkable assists, but at the plate he continues to struggle. You know, he was two weeks ago he was hitting four forty nine. Over the last seven games, he's three for his last twenty five or one twenty five batting average, And so the heat of the first few weeks has simmered and cooled off quite a bit for him.
Speaker 8: Yeah, last year he made a lot of improvement leaps and bounds in my estimation on the ball away from him to begin with, and especially the breaking ball away. Well, now we're beginning to see that reintroduced. I think some pitchers got burned by trying to come inside on him already. This year we're kind of seeing them leave that area and trying to go back outside again, But Pahz is not the only one in that category. To ask you, Hernandez has had some difficulty over four couple of strikeouts in last night's bowl game, and he too is having some challenges on that breaking ball that's away from him on the outside part of the plate.
Speaker 6: Otani is struggling as well. The Cubs seventeen and nine, same record as the Dodgers. They're tied for first as games began today with the Cincinnati Reds. The Cubs have won ten straight outscoring the opposition seventy two to thirty one.
Speaker 9: But let's not.
Speaker 6: Forget they beat the Philly six times, the Mets three times, and the Dodgers last night, and so you have two seventeen and nine teams, the Cubs and Dodgers. They got a big one today in Roki Sasaki looking to turn his fortunes around as Shean did.
Speaker 8: And I think with Sasaki it comes down is simply this is going to be oversimplified, but here's the numbers. When he's a head in the count, it's a one to thirty batting average against. When he falls behind in the count this year, a four hundred batting average, Which would you choose to have Colin Ray.
Speaker 6: Is going for the Cubs Game two of this three game series. The Dodgers again struggling of late, Cubs are red hot and congratulations on this fiftieth anniversary mode. Lineups in first pitch right around the corner.
Speaker 3: All right, thank you, Charlie.
Speaker 5: Dodgers Baseball presented by Uniclo Field at Dodgers Stadium. Visit Uniclo dot com slash you still to come here on Dodgers on Deck. Before first pitch, we'll dive deeper to this pitching matchup. Steven and Rick will get the keys to the game. But up next we go high and tight with the President of Baseball Operations Andrew Friedman. That's next, Dodgers Cubs first pitch at four fifteen. I'm Tim Kase's the back to back World Series champion Dodgers audio.
Speaker 1: As we were saying, this is Marongo Casino, Dodgers on jack on the official home of La Dodgers Baseball.
Speaker 5: Dodgers and Cubbs Rookie Sasaki Colin Ray the pitching matched up.
Speaker 3: First pitch at four to fifteen.
Speaker 5: Dodgers Baseball, brought to you by our friends and Shakey's Pizza Parlor, the official pizza partner of the Dodgers audio broadcast. When it's game day, it's group day at Shaky's dot Com.
Speaker 1: And now what will likely be vess a fielding insults from a Dodger player.
Speaker 3: It's an engagement of endearment.
Speaker 1: This is high and tight.
Speaker 4: It's a beautiful saturday here in Los Angeles, and we're joined right now by the man that is the architect of the unprecedented success the Dodgers have had, including back to back championships, a man that is not as emotional as people on Ventura Boulevard. That's the one and only Andrew Friedman. Thanks a lot for.
Speaker 9: The time, Absolutely thanks for having me on. It feels like.
Speaker 4: This is just one of those moments in time during the season where you're dealing with some injuries, some guys are sick, but it feels like the cavalry is on its way.
Speaker 14: Yeah, you know, we go through this every year, especially in April.
Speaker 9: I think every single year I've been here, we've.
Speaker 14: Have meetings about our relievers, with our catchers, just with our relievers about what their strengths are.
Speaker 9: It's like groundhog Day, and so there's.
Speaker 14: Periods where we're playing well and it feels like we're never going to lose again. And there's periods where we're not playing as well and you're waiting for something bad to happen.
Speaker 9: It is the cycle of a major league season.
Speaker 14: That being said, when you're in one of the downturns of it, it's frustrating.
Speaker 9: It's not fun to go through.
Speaker 4: I haven't talked to you since the news of Edwin Diaz going down with chips in his right elbow surgery. How does that affect the bullpen and how much do you need Rock Stewart and Bruce Stark grat all to come back.
Speaker 9: Don't forget Evan Phillips.
Speaker 10: That's a while away, Andrew, That's sure, that's true.
Speaker 9: You know, with that one, obviously it's a big loss.
Speaker 14: But you know, it was something he had been feeling in his last couple outings and velocity was down just where the chip was was pushing right on the tricep muscle and so something that just wasn't allowing him the same freedom uh to get to his velocity, and just a lot of discomfort. So fortunately it didn't involve anything with the ligament. It wasn't near the ligament, and el Doctor elatrosh felt really confident, let's go ahead and get it out. It will alleviate those symptoms and he'll come back and be in a good spot. So it's good in terms of, you know, the prognosis of him coming back and helping us in the second half of the season and hopefully through a long October, but frustrating for the now and us navigating the next you know, two two and a half months, and you know it'll be opportunity for some guys, and he'll be seen over the years when that opportunity has been created, it's given guys some runway to go and create a real role form. We saw it with Rogo last year. We've seen it with Evan Phillips in the past. We've seen it with a number of guys, So you know, we'll have this opportunity for some guys to emerge.
Speaker 4: Your starting rotation has been phenomenal. Ema Sheen coming off as best start of the season. Tyler Glass now eight innings, allowed just one hit in San Francisco. I wanted to ask you about Glass now because you've known him obviously for a long time. Why is he so different this year? What's different about him? To allow him to go to this next level.
Speaker 14: There's just there's even more confidence, you know. I think just going through some of the injury stuff he had gone through earlier in his career and then with us in that first year, you know, I think it eats into your ability to be as confident and just getting him to believe just how good is stuff is. There aren't a lot of guys that can beat guys in zone. You almost need to get a head and zone and then on to off and get guys to chase. He can dominate guys end zone. That's how good his stuff is. So last year the walker right was a little elevated, and we're seeing that come down right now with the miss as high as it is, and he's a tough guy to square up.
Speaker 9: And so I.
Speaker 14: Think the success he had last October and really being a big part of us winning a championship last year, whereas in twenty four he was doing it as a cheerleader, you know, with the injury. So I think him being a big part of what we did last October provided some fuel going into this offseason, and now each start is just continuing to build.
Speaker 4: As far as that series in San Francisco Utani may have pitched his best game in a long time as well. When you look at him the balance of him going full time pitcher, do you feel like a little bit's been taken away as a hitter or is that just the April that you were talking about.
Speaker 14: Yeah, I mean last year, you know, show got off to a little bit of a slow start offensively and then got going i think in late late April, and then took off from there. Look, it is hard. What he's doing is hard, and it is tiring, and we have to stay in lockstep with him to figure out how to balance that rest And you know that being said, he's had prolonged stretches where he's doing both and excelling it both.
Speaker 9: We just have to stay really.
Speaker 14: Connected with him because what he's doing obviously is unprecedented and it takes a real toll. But to be able to compartmentalize, to be able to pitch the way he has this year has been incredible.
Speaker 10: How do you look at it?
Speaker 4: A lot of talk about him not being as good of a hitter to day that he pitches. How do you look at that conversation about looking at it, evaluating where he hits in the lineup, whether or not he does it when he pitches.
Speaker 14: Yeah, I mean, I think it's all part of the rest and what makes the most sense. You know, it doesn't make sense for him to go wire to wire pitch your hit or playing every day, pitching every week.
Speaker 9: That's hard, and so we do need to mix some rest in there.
Speaker 14: Whether we do it on the day starts and then therefore he can't hit late in the game, or if we do it around it the day before the day after, we would at least have the silver bullet off the bench and the ninth inning in a tight game to be able to pinch hit. You know, all those are questions and I think, you know, getting with him and from our standpoint, if there's a clear answer whatever it is, we're great with it. If there's not a clear answer, it's just going to require a lot of conversation and some trial and error to kind of feel it out.
Speaker 4: I mean, like you said, it's not normal. He's one of one and he's thirty one years old. Now, how much do we all take that for granted what he's doing is normal when it's not.
Speaker 14: Yeah, I mean, I think most things that we encounter. We all have some kind of mental rolodex we can go back to and like, oh yeah, in my experience it's this with jo Hey, there is none of that, and we have no experience dealing with this, and so it definitely makes it trickier. That being said, I think as long as we're just staying connected consistently, I think we will get at feel our way through kind of what makes the most sense.
Speaker 10: All right.
Speaker 4: So that brings me to the Otani rule. Great Council last week said he feels like the Otani rule is an unfair rule as far as rosters and rosters when it relates to pictures. I want to ask him to clarify that yesterday, and he doubled down in a very tense way.
Speaker 10: Where is this all coming from?
Speaker 4: Do you feel like this is just a carry over from all the talk during the offseason. Where do you think all this O tiny rule talk is coming from?
Speaker 6: Now?
Speaker 9: I don't know.
Speaker 14: It felt very random and strange to me that he felt the need to bring it up. And when Shoh was on the Angels and MLB was considering this, they reached out to a bunch of teams, us included, and I said look from a competitive standpoint as the Dodgers, I don't love it, but wearing my industry hat and what's best for the Major League Baseball it is to do everything we can for shohe Otani to be in and stay in games. And obviously with the thirteen pitcher rules, so that's the part of him being able to stay in the game when he pitches and when he comes off the mound. You know, the old rule would have been then the hitter has to come out as well. But I was able to look at what is best for the industry and show Hey playing and playing more often and staying in games is what is best for this game and best for the fans and everything else.
Speaker 9: So that was when he was with the Angels.
Speaker 14: And as far as the thirteen pitcher rule, again, it is more that we have thirteen pitchers. I had to clarify this with Jim Bowden who said that we have nine relievers. We don't have nine relievers. We have eight relievers just like everyone else. We have five starters like everyone else. It's just when show Hey is able and the rest makes sense, show Hay pitches. Also, it is not that we are carrying an extra reliever relative to others. So it's certainly an advantage, but it should be an advantage. What show Hey does and what he is capable of is so unique it should be rewarded, it should be celebrated. And everyone knew the show Hey rules and had an equal opportunity to sign him two years ago. So I'm not sure where the cups were in that process or what council's thoughts were on it then, but that seemed like more of the relevant time to voice it than now.
Speaker 4: Yeah, and that's something that I'm sure not a lot of us were ever aware of that. Major League Baseball checked in with you and other teams about implementing this rule, So if there were any objections, then.
Speaker 10: Was the time.
Speaker 4: Absolutely all right, thank you for setting the record straight. I love it, Thank you for the time. Great to see you. And look, I'm very steady. I'm right in the wave of one sixty two.
Speaker 9: I like it. You know, we've seen this year after year.
Speaker 14: It doesn't mean it's fun while going through it, but we've seen it, and we've seen this group battle through it, and it's just the inevitable cycle of a long one hundred and sixty two game season. And I have the same amount of faith in these guys and the way they prepare, the way they compete, that the subtle them out and we'll start playing much better baseball.
Speaker 4: Isn't it amazing how these guys still have their edge and each individual has a chip to prove something this year.
Speaker 14: Yeah, I mean, it's what I said after twenty four that one of the concerns about and the difficulties around repeating, is that complacency sets in where teams won, they're.
Speaker 9: Like, Okay, they exhale, they don't have that same edge about them.
Speaker 14: And it was very apparent after the parade in twenty four just how focused everyone was on doing everything they could to run it back in twenty five. And we saw the same thing after twenty five. This is a group that's playing for, you know, their legacy, for the legacy of this group, you know, to continue to you know, do everything we can for this to be the Golden Eraw Dodgers Baseball and for them to have been a huge part of it. And so that motivation is so much further beyond the Okay, I won a championship. They're big pigs and I love it.
Speaker 10: Yeah, so is Andrew Friedman.
Speaker 4: Thanks a lot for the time, and thanks again for being so candid with all your answers.
Speaker 9: Absolutely thanks for having me on there.
Speaker 10: He is the man.
Speaker 4: Andrew Freeman has been our guest, and here receive a gift card to Capitol Grill.
Speaker 10: Mother's Day is coming, Fast Baseball or not.
Speaker 4: The Capitol Grill is open all day with a special brunch from ten to two. Be sure to make your reservation early. We'll send it back to you in the studio.
Speaker 3: All right, thanks a lot.
Speaker 5: DV lead you up to first pitch Dodgers and Cubs on this gloomy Saturday afternoon. First pitch at four fifteen. I'm next to we'll dive Deepert of this pitching matchup. Don't you go anywhere. I'm Tim Kats and this is the back to back World Series champion Dodgers Audio Network.
Speaker 1: This is Morongo Casino Dodgers hunting on your home for La Dodgers Baseball.
Speaker 3: It's the Dodgers and the Cubs.
Speaker 5: First pitcherm Unico Field, a Dodger Stadium, on this Saturday, come not but four to fifteen.
Speaker 1: And now before the Dodgers hit the dining we look at the pitching matchup.
Speaker 3: Brought to you by here Toyota Dealers. We make it easy.
Speaker 5: Colin Ray on the mound for the Cubbies three and zero with a three ERA. Thirty five year old right hander interesting career, made his major league debut in twenty fifteenth to Padres twenty to the Marlins in twenty sixteen, then didn't pitch again the big leagues until twenty twenty one, when he made one appearance of the Brewers. Then two years later, he returned to the big leagues in twenty twenty.
Speaker 3: Three with the Brewers.
Speaker 5: So where was he well, he was hurt minor leagues pitching in Japan. Now in his second season with the Cubbies. Fastball, splitter, slider, sinker, sweeter, sweeper, third start this year, sixth appearance.
Speaker 3: Started the season in the bullpen, but now a starter.
Speaker 5: Last time out six and two third innings, one run, six hits, five strikeouts in a win over the Phillies. He has allowed one runner fewer and four straight starts going back to last year one and one with a five ninety four RARA and eight career games, five starts against the Dodgers. Rookie Sasaki on the mound still looking for that first win this year. Zero to two, six to eleven ERA, twenty four year old right hand making his fifth start. Fastball, splitter, slider. Last time out, Rookie Sasaki pitched into the fifth inning, four and two third innings, three runs, seven hits, two strikeouts and in no decision against the Colorado Rockies in two games against the Cubs in his brief career zh to one with a two twenty five Rray in eight innings pitch with six strikeouts. Rokie Sasaki on his bobblehead giveaway. Colin Ray, the veteran right hander goes for Chicago. We are fifteen minutes away from first pitch. Keys to the game. Our next I'm Tim Kates, the back to back World Series champion Dodgers Audio Network.
Speaker 1: This is Marongo Casino Dodgers on Tap on your home for the Blue All Season log.
Speaker 5: It's the Dodgers and the Cubbies. Rookie Sasaki, Colin Ray. The fitching matchup was to get ready for the start of the game with the Sapporo starts Great mollm Star Sapporo Beer, whatever your taste preference, Saporo as you cover the variety of crisp and refreshming loggers, including light non alcoholic beer. Soaporo, good with sushi, Great with baseball. Back out to the booth, Steven Nelson, Rick Monday, guys.
Speaker 2: Thanks so much. Tim.
Speaker 7: We're getting closer and closer and closer to the first pitch tonight, game two of three between the Dodgers and Cubs, and it's Rokie Sasaki starting for the Dodgers.
Speaker 2: Opposite Colin Ray.
Speaker 7: Back in here with the man of the Hours on this special Saturday, Rick.
Speaker 2: Monday and Moe, give me a key or a player to watch tonight.
Speaker 8: I go to what Dave Roberts said yesterday about Rookie Sasaki, and here's the quote. Still a work in progress, and there's a couple of reasons for it. First inning, two hundred average. Second inning a one to forty three average. Third inning, however, a fort to twelve batting average when he gets ahead, and account it's a one to thirty batting average when he gets behind. It's a four hundred average. Yes, a work in progress, but go after the strike zone a little bit more feverishly.
Speaker 7: All right, we're looking forward to the baseball game. Rokiye Sasaki will throw the actual first pitch, but before that, a special ceremony featuring you mo so take off the headset and run down stairs before we get tackled by security for.
Speaker 8: Me, Kevin, you t I gotta get the suit clean before I return it.
Speaker 2: All right, TC, back over to you.
Speaker 5: All right, it's all about Rick Monday on the fiftieth anniversary of saving the American Flag. It's the Dodgers and Cubbies on the field next. Enjoy, everybody. I'm Tim Katz. This the back to back World Series Champion Dodgers Audio Network