Speaker 1: The quest for the three peat has begun.
Speaker 2: Only four teams in Major League Baseball history have won three consecutive titles.
Speaker 3: The Dodgers are the favorites to become the fifth.
Speaker 1: This is world Champion Dodger Talk.
Speaker 3: Here we go again.
Speaker 4: RGEA running back hosted by Dodgers insider David Bass are three in the mix. Dodger Talk is brought to you by La County Public Works Champions recycled beverage Containers make the play Recycle Today, and by Children's Hospital LA from Colds to Cancer. We got this to get in on the show called eight six six not eighty seven two five seven days and be sure to follow Dodger Talk wherever you catch your podcasts.
Speaker 1: Here's your host, David vasse Day.
Speaker 2: Another great night as the Dodgers defeat the Diamondbacks five to four to open up the season, winning on opening night and and then winning tonight on ring ceremony night before first pitch.
Speaker 3: Welcome the Dodger Talk.
Speaker 2: David Vase with you until eleven thirty tonight here on AM five to seventy LA Sports. We have phone lines open at eight six six nine, eight seven two five seventy Coming up In our next segment, you'll hear part of my conversation with new special assistant for the Dodgers, Clayton Kershaw, and also coming up later in the show, Jose Moto will check in. But there's a few things about this game that we want to get into first and foremost. Okay, number one, we all know in the press box there's no cheering.
Speaker 3: But I can.
Speaker 2: Understand if you work for a team and you want to cheer, it's still a little unprofessional. I mean, we're not cheering here in the radio booth. Some might be cheering in different ways, but we're not clapping in this radio booth at all. Nobody in the oral Joe Davis broadcast booth is clapping. I don't believe anybody in the Spanish radio booth. I know for a fact nobody's clapping over there. So at the far end of the Dodger Stadium press box, here is where sometimes baseball operations of visiting teams sit happens. They always have a booth reserve. Sometimes they choose to sit in there, sometimes they don't. Well, the Diamondbacks chose to sit in there, and just to prove the point that the Dodgers are everybody else's World Series and mountain to climb. We're only two games in and down the hall after every play made by the Diamondbacks, virtually every walk, every hit, every anything that went well for the Diamondbacks, you hear a lot of applause coming from the far end of the hallway here in the press box, which was probably the Diamondbacks baseball operations department, no doubt it was their baseball operations department. So, I mean, it's fine, they're very invested in their team, but it just goes to prove the point that the Dodgers are and obviously are the team that everybody wants to take down. It's only two games into the season and you got the opposing team's baseball operations department applauding for every walk, every take on a pitch. I mean, come on, really, anyway, that's the type of things that are going to go on this season between the Dodgers and teams in the NLST, teams in the National League, and more importantly, across Major League Baseball. The Dodgers are everybody else's World Series, and tonight the Dodgers beat the Diamondbacks on a night that the Dodgers could have lost and were vulnerable to lose, especially after Emig Shehen only lasted three and a third innings, and the Dodgers had to go to their bullpen tonight and use a few different relievers like Jack Dryer, Ben Casparius, Tanner Scott, Alex Vesia and Gardo Enriquez and Edwin Diaz, so they had to cover a lot of innings tonight because she threw eighty three pitches with only one out in the fourth inning. Jack Dryer did a great job like he did last year. He went multiple innings tonight, did not give up a run. Ben Casparius, who was huge for the Dodgers the second half of or the first half of last year, was able to keep the Diamondbacks offense down.
Speaker 3: But I really thought there were a couple.
Speaker 2: Of key moments reliever wise in this game, specifically Tanner Scott, who came in after Casparius got into some trouble runners at first and second. Two outs and he's facing Alec Thomas in a tie game. And Alex Thomas, you might say, what's the big deal about that guy, Well, he's a lefty and he had a very good game tonight. So he was swinging the bat really well, and Tanner Scott was able to strike him out to end the inning.
Speaker 3: That was huge. That looked like the old Tanner Scott.
Speaker 2: And then it was special because Alex Vesia got to take the mound tonight at Dodger Stadium and it was emotionally charged and he was able to do Alex Vesia thanks and pitch a scoreless seventh inning. So all of those things were really good for the Dodgers tonight. And Edwin Diaz made his Dodger debut and recorded his first save as a Dodger, and we got to experience the theatrical experience of Edwin Diaz and Timmy Trumpet coming through the bullpen gates, and the Dodgers had a live trumpet player in the outfield on standby. I got word that she's Long Beach Tatiana Tait. She's the trumpet player from Long Beach who is out there on standby in case Edwin Diaz came into the game. So what did you think about the first Edwin Diaz Timmy Trumpet entrance? Was it as electric? Did they give you chills like it did in City Field? If you are a Mets fan your thoughts on Edwin Diaz and his entrance tonight and if you liked it, if you feel like there could be more, let me know. Eight six six nine eight seven two five seventy is the phone number. Alex Freeland, he got the start tonight at second base, and he delivered in his first start of the year Game two. He homered to start a four run rally in the Dodgers a third inning there, and also he was able to double and score the go ahead run in the bottom of the eighth inning. Let's head downstairs right now to hear from Young Freeland on sports at LA.
Speaker 5: I'm just happy that we're starting off on a good note and everybody feels like ward one and like it's just exciting to play for this team and in front of all these fans. So I'm just enjoying it.
Speaker 3: When you like.
Speaker 4: Win an opposition battle of the spring training does make a difference to kind of make an impact mesa bat.
Speaker 5: I mean, honestly, I wasn't thinking about any of the outside noise. I just tried to have a quality at bat, like like I've been doing all spring, So nothing really changed, just trying to have a quality at that.
Speaker 6: And So is that kind of what you felt when you like to go down onto an account and say line and get a pitch you can do something with. Is that where like the quality at bat stuff kind of pays on?
Speaker 7: Yeah, yeah, definitely.
Speaker 5: I mean Andy flew out on the first pitch, so auto take. So I mean I just tried to have a long at bat, you know, get some more pitches for that inning. And then it led to that, Well, what.
Speaker 6: Is kind of the mentality like you're in that ninth spot and you have Show hate behind you, Like, is that kind of where the importance of that comes in?
Speaker 5: And kind of yeah, I mean I think it's just having quality at bets and getting on base. I mean, Show, he's best hitter in all of the MLB, so I mean not trying to get on base because there's a high chance he's going to hit me in and we like runs.
Speaker 6: How big is that double in the eighth field too? To kind of start that rally the end of the game.
Speaker 5: I mean that felt good, but honestly the same thought processes just go up there and try and get on base for Show, have a quality at bet and try to win the game like that.
Speaker 6: Would you make a Edwins entrance with them, that was insane.
Speaker 1: I loved it.
Speaker 7: I loved it.
Speaker 5: I mean I loved all the entrances that we've had, like Will Klein's on on Thursday. I love that one, but everybody's got super cool entrances. But that Edwins was like, oh, yeah, that was cool.
Speaker 3: Okay, thanks Alex Freeland. I'm glad you enjoyed it.
Speaker 2: Alex Freeland had a great game tonight, by the way, not only his two hits, scoring twice, including scoring himself off a home run to start that four run third inning, but also the double. Like I said, leadoff double turned into be the go ahead and run and the run that made the difference in the game in the bottom of the eighth inning, the leadoff double him getting to third base and Kyle Tucker driving him in. But how about the defense by the Dodgers tonight, specifically Tucker and Freeland. There were a couple of balls hit to right field that Kyle Tucker had to hustle and pounce on, and he made perfect relay throws two different times to Alex Freeland, who also threw two perfect relays to cut down runners, the first one a big one at the plate in the second inning, getting Peven Smith and then in the fourth inning Alec Thomas trying to stretch a double into a triple. A great play by Tucker to Freeland to Max Munsey to cut him down as well to help manage that game and that inning specifically. So the Dodger defense in right field and the relay throws were exceptional tonight, from Tucker to Freeland, to Will Smith in the second inning and then to Max Munsey in.
Speaker 3: The fourth inning.
Speaker 2: Eight sixty six seven two five seventy is the phone number. Dodgers beat the Diamondbacks tonight five to four. Let's go out to Johnny. Johnny, you're on Dodger Talk.
Speaker 8: How you doing, Hey, David Good I'm driving leaving the stadium just now.
Speaker 9: I just got to the freeway.
Speaker 8: Uh, what you're Sayingbolt, Edwin Diaz. I'll touch on that real quick.
Speaker 9: Was electric.
Speaker 8: Was awesome to watch.
Speaker 9: Alex Freeland was a dog in a sudge to night.
Speaker 8: With My question is what's exactly going to be going on with Kershaw with his new role with Friedman.
Speaker 2: Yeah, you're gonna hear from Kershaw coming up in our next segment, Johnny. He'll explain all of that, but it's basically a voice. You know, you heard him last night on NBC. This guy knows the game. He knows the players, he knows their makeup, he knows their whole their whole package as far as who they are as a player, their weaknesses, their strengths. And he's a really good sounding board. So he's not going to be traveling, he's not going to the minor leagues to coach. He's a really good evaluator. And I think Andrew Freeman values that.
Speaker 7: I think it's gonna be amazing.
Speaker 8: And hearing him last night on the on the call, he was cool and fluid, and then seeing him get his ring tonight and throw out the pitch and the dramatics of oral and doc was it was a special. It was a really cool game to be at tonight.
Speaker 7: And the Dodgers are helmet.
Speaker 8: We got one sixty more And I love the show. And thanks David, Thanks thanks Johnny.
Speaker 3: Appreciate it.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and Kershaw is officially indoctrinated into the front office as a special assistant because he told me he played pickleball with Andrew Friedman today, So that's a baseball front office thing. And he has his own official employee badge to get into the stadium, so he is fully he is fully now an employee for sure. Don't miss the Santa Anita Derby at Santa Anita Park on April fourth, Big payouts, full fields, NonStop action, Save Now at Santa Anita dot Com slash events And after Kuruse shot throughout the first pitch and his buddy Brad Paisley sang the national anthem, they hung out in one of the sweets here at Dodger Stadium. So a very cool night all around for Kerus Shaw, who I'm sure must have been feeling a little surreal the last two nights being back here at Dodger Stadium seeing all the old the faces that he saw throughout his entire career, specifically as recently as last year. And now he's sitting up in a suite with Brad Paisley watching the Dodgers. Let's go out to John who is at the ballpark tonight. Hi, John, You're on Dodger Talk.
Speaker 10: Hey man, it feels like we got a real closer and that trumpet player really set the tone.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I mean, I'm not sure if she is going to be here every night Tatiana tape. But she's basically I don't know what you would call it, but it's Timmy Trumpet that's playing it on the original song. And Timmy Trumpet's on tour right now, so he can't just be on standby for whenever Edwin Diaz is coming in. So the Dodgers found a local trumpet player in Tatiana tape and she did a great job playing along with Timmy Trumpet tonight, John, did.
Speaker 3: You like the light show? And about the light show? The lights were, Yeah, the light show?
Speaker 7: Yet? What's the lights are still on the boat.
Speaker 9: The lights are still on the boat.
Speaker 7: We don't got lights yet?
Speaker 3: Yeah, we got lights here. Were you at the stadium?
Speaker 10: Yeah, I was at the Stateum, they don't got any of the LEDs up yet.
Speaker 7: They're all stuck.
Speaker 1: On the boat.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 2: Yeah, once that happens, it'll be I guess a little bit more. But they had the lights of the stadium flickering and changing colors and all that.
Speaker 8: Oh yeah, yeah, I mean that that that's fun.
Speaker 7: But they need to get the whole LED thing around.
Speaker 9: I think they'll take it to a whole other level.
Speaker 2: All right, all right, I don't know the logistics about where the LEDs are? All right, John, I mean that's two straight nights. Somebody brought that up. I don't know where it is. I don't know if they're in route or not. So uh, they'll be here, trust me, sooner rather than later. Thanks for the phone call. Geeesh, Nitpicky over here. I mean that's that's uh, yeah, when those LEDs are here, it'll be uh, it'll be even more light terrific at Dodger Stadium or should I say uniclo field at Dodger Stadium.
Speaker 3: Let's go out to JD. Who is here at the ballpark tonight?
Speaker 7: Hi?
Speaker 3: JD. You're on Dodger Talk.
Speaker 1: Hey Dave.
Speaker 10: That was an awesome night between the ring ceremony that started it off and kershawf finally getting his ring, although I thought they were just gonna give it to him when they had a night for him. So it was a nice touch for him to come in and throw the first ball out and then Timmy Trumpets was just freaking awesome. And I gotta say, if that's something to look forward to in the ninth inning, that it's a tight game and Diaz is gonna close and if he has success as a closer after that lead in, and that's gonna make the part jump, like you know, when Eric Ganye was the closer, Yeah, and.
Speaker 3: When Kenny Jansen was the closer California love.
Speaker 10: Yeah, although I think Jansen coming in made people more nervous than Kanye.
Speaker 3: Oh.
Speaker 2: Stop at three hundred and fifty saves, jd You stop that right now. Speaking to Kennley Jansen. He closed out his first save for the Detroit Tigers tonight in San Diego. How do you feel about that?
Speaker 3: John?
Speaker 2: He helped beat the Padres tonight five to two for his four hundred and seventy seventh career save. He's just two saves away from passing Lee Smith for third all time in saves in baseball history. So Edwin Diaz gets his first save as a Dodger. Kenley Jansen gets his first save as a tight her down south in San Diego. Let's go out to the OC. Brandon. You're on Dodger Talk. Can you believe that Brandon John taking a cheap shot at Kenley Janssen?
Speaker 6: Yeah, Now that's not good man.
Speaker 8: Kenley's been awesome for us, and I just want.
Speaker 3: To just kind of like say, you know, as far as Jimmy trumpets.
Speaker 4: I think that in La and Hollywood that we should have.
Speaker 8: Mariacci's played big time. Mariacci's like six to eight trump It's playing while he comes out. And I'd like to see the the lights go out a little sooner, and i'd like to see the music starts sooner too.
Speaker 11: But other than.
Speaker 2: That, Yeah, you know the song, the song, it starts out low with a little drum beat, right, a bass drum, So you really got to I can't believe I'm saying this make it louder when the song first starts, or you just got to hit it running. But yeah, uh that's the way the song starts. Now you want the mariachi said Dodger Stadium, So you want these trumpet players on standby just in case Edwin Diaz does come in. I mean that's not going to happen every night. So you want mariachi bands on stand by every Dodger home game. Is that what you're asking for?
Speaker 3: Brandon?
Speaker 8: Yes, yes, only because.
Speaker 9: Kind of brought it together.
Speaker 12: And I think Fernando Mania is like coming back, and I just love.
Speaker 7: To see it.
Speaker 6: I'd love to see it.
Speaker 2: Okay, I don't think Fernando media is coming back, Brandon.
Speaker 3: But yeah, I get what you're saying. You know what I would do.
Speaker 2: I would find a way to get Timmy Trumpet to get on camera, do his thing on the trumpet, play it up on the video boards like you see these other celebs. I would have Timmy Trumpet, you know, a close one shot with the trumpet in the foreground and him playing it. When Timmy trump when Edwin Diaz comes out, let him get some shine for his song and his trumpet playing. I see, I just came up with that on the fly. See, you can make these tweaks during the season. But like I said, I've been trying to chase down Timmy Trumpet to call into Dodger Talk. I am well aware of his schedule. He was in Australia in February, he was in San Diego, Vegas, LA while the Dodgers were in spring training, and I'm not sure where he's at now.
Speaker 3: So this guy is.
Speaker 2: Not only an incredible trumpet player, but he's a DJ. He's incredible DJ as well. So anything you need to know I know about Timmy Trumpet these days.
Speaker 3: Hey, by the.
Speaker 2: Way, tomorrow afternoon, it's time to come to WSS and Boyle Heights. We're going to have another Dodger Talk for you. Instead of eleven at night, it's gonna be at eleven in the morning tomorrow. Yeah, I'll be there eleven in the morning. I know I'm gonna be there WSS, Boyle Heights. Not only am I gonna be there, but Miguel Rojas is going to be there at eleven am. So we're gonna have Dodger Talk for you tomorrow at eleven. Miguel Rojas World Series Here is my special guest, and it's located at two seven one one East Olympic Boulevard. Now Rojas isn't staying until one o'clock. Uh, he'll stay about forty five minutes or so, but I'll have Dodger Talk from eleven to one. So, uh, there you go tomorrow, Boyle Heights, WSS two seven one one East Olympic Boulevard. We're gonna take a time out here on Dodger Talk. When we continue, more of your phone calls eight sixty six nine, eight seven two five seventy and also you'll hear from Clayton Kershaw and we'll check in with Jose Mota after the Dodgers defeat the Diamondbacks and silence those obnoxious applause down the hall of the press box Tonight five to four on AM five seventy LA.
Speaker 11: Sports on air at AM five seventy, online at amfive seventy LA sports dot com, and available by podcast on the iHeartRadio.
Speaker 1: This is Dodger Talk with David bess In. Nelson looks at Eltony comes to Bets. Turkey rise one right center field. This one's hit well back at the wall. Thomas is there.
Speaker 6: He leaves Pat's gone.
Speaker 10: Cookie Betts with a laser to right center field to turn this game around and put the Dodgers in front.
Speaker 2: Just like yesterday, the Dodgers were down to nothing and then came back with a four run inning. Tonight, it was in the third inning of four run inning thanks to two home runs, a solo shot to start the inning by Alex Friedland and then that one by Mookie Betts to give the Dodgers the lead, a big three run home run, and Mooki was pumped getting some air and hang time when he was rounding second base on that home run. And oh, by the way, Brad Paisley found out that Mookie Betts is learning how to play the guitar, and he gifted him a custom made Brad Paisley Electric fender after he sing the national anthem.
Speaker 3: So there you go, the magic's in the guitar. Daniel S.
Speaker 2: Jewelers presents the home Run Forecast for your chance to win a fifty dollars Daniel Steeler's gift card visit a five seventy LA sports dot Com used the keyword home run, enter to win and don't forget.
Speaker 3: Daniel S. Jewelers own the Dream.
Speaker 2: Eight sixty six seven two five seventy is the phone number. Let's go out to one of my favorite spots, Oxnard. Javier, You're on Dodger Talk. How you doing, Javier, Hey.
Speaker 9: Good goodness, good to talk to you, first time, long time.
Speaker 7: First before thank you, Before to.
Speaker 9: Make my comment, I want to take my wife take me to the game last night and tonight it was our tonight, was our date night, so she took me to the game. Was it was awesome?
Speaker 3: Great wife.
Speaker 9: And then and then my question to you is from the from these three closers, which entest was were your favorite ken Lee, Gan Ye or Edwin Dia which which where would you rank them.
Speaker 2: Wow, all right, well, Edwin Diaz, I mean it is really special. I would say, I feel like there are some tweaks to the Edwin Diaz entrance here at Dodger Stadium. So I'm not going to put that at my top right now. I'm going ken Ley number one, Ganne number two, and Edwin Diaz number three right now.
Speaker 9: All right, I can respect that mine, Danye, Kenley and then and then Da right now.
Speaker 2: All right, all right, Javier, like I said, you get Timmy Trumpet on Dodger Vision when uh, when Timmy Trumpet comes through, you blast that music right away when the spotlight goes on the bullpen.
Speaker 3: I think we got something cooking. But it was special.
Speaker 2: I just uh, I mean, I just don't want to jump on the Timmy Trumpet bandwagon right away. So maybe that's part of my reasoning too.
Speaker 9: I'm not a for I go to spur Goos through all my pregame snack, so I got to take my snack and today that I.
Speaker 7: Bought at the Sores for this afternoon.
Speaker 3: So all right, did you hear the word of the day?
Speaker 4: No?
Speaker 3: I didn't, Okay, all right, well maybe tomorrow we'll do it again. Tomorrow run it back tomorrow. Javier, thanks for the phone call, appreciated.
Speaker 2: Eight six six nine seven two five seventy is the phone number before we hear from Clayton Kershaw, who he caught up with before the ring ceremony. I just want to point out, you know I've said this before. I've told this story before because it was relayed to me by Tim Salmon and Dino Ebol separately and then together. Mike Sosha used to tell his superstars, everybody from Troy Glass to Tim Salmon, to move on. I need twenty five team at bats every year, and he would ask at the end of the meeting if anybody had any issues with that, raise your hands, speak up now.
Speaker 3: Nobody ever did.
Speaker 2: The reason why I bring that up is Alex Freeland led off the bottom of the eighth inning with a double. Who comes up, showe Aotani. He took a couple of cracks at it didn't happen for him, filed a ball back.
Speaker 3: You know what he did.
Speaker 2: He gave a team at back, gave himself up in a tied game. Hit the ball hard to the right side. Alex Freeland went to third base. You know what happened next? Diamondbacks brought the infield in with Kevin Ginkel on the mound facing Kyle Tucker, and Kyle Tucker delivered a ground ball through the right side of the infield. That doesn't happen without show. Hey Otani. So we talk about the home runs, and yes they're remarkable. Everything he does is so special, but it's things like that that lead by example. And we're with Kershaw retired. The Dodgers need a guy like that to lead by example. If Otani can do that, everybody else can do that. And that's one of those things that won't show up in the box score tomorrow, but it stood out to me. Eight six six seven, five seventy is the phone number. Let's check in with Clayton Kershaw had a chance to catch up with him before the ring ceremony. We had some fun and here's part of that conversation. You don't seem to have that fomo that guys that just retired usually have.
Speaker 13: Yeah, I mean, I'm sure that I'll kick in at some point, but I also know that like I did, I did just about as much as I could. The everything was slowing down a little bit, and just that there are so many factors, and then when you top it all off with the way it ended, it's just like you can't really ask for anything more. So I'm at peace with all that. It doesn't mean I don't miss it. It doesn't mean I don't miss being around the guys and hanging out, flying with them, playing cards. Just uh, I just knew it was probably my time.
Speaker 2: Do you feel like you'll have some sort of connection to the organization as time moves on.
Speaker 13: Yeah, I think I'll always be a Dodger. I want to help in any way I can.
Speaker 3: From afar.
Speaker 13: You know, there's probably not going to be much traveling in my future, but if I can help, you know, if I watch games, I know I'm gonna watch all the games, So if there's somebody that wants to talk or see something or whatever, I want to be a part of this group, and I think Andrew let me do that, so it'll be good.
Speaker 1: All right.
Speaker 2: Before I let you go, I'm just curious about, you know, all of that, any recruiting.
Speaker 3: Did you recruit Tucker?
Speaker 2: Were you trying to recruit Schooble during the w World Baseball Classic?
Speaker 13: You know, think about the Dodgers. Is I don't I don't really know if you have to recruit anymore. You know, it just kind of everybody kind of knows a great place to be and uh, just by word of mouth, by other people being here. And so Tucker, Tucker figured it out. And I'm sure Scoobs at the end of this year, if everything's even, he'll figure it out too.
Speaker 2: Oh Scoobs, Hey, we're on that type of nickname basis between Krushawn Schooble, and by the way, World Baseball Classic.
Speaker 3: Kruse.
Speaker 2: Shaw was not an employee of the Dodgers at that point in time, but he's a special assistant now. So that was a very very good answer by a guy that's now a special assistant with the Dodgers. And oh, by the way, as good as Krushaw was as a broadcaster, he doesn't want to dive into it full time. He wants to be with his family enjoy a summer. And he told me that he's only going to broadcast one more game on NBC as it's plan right now, another Dodger game in August, So don't expect to see him every Sunday night. Baseball eight sixty six, nine, eight seven, two five seventy is the phone number.
Speaker 3: We'll get back to your phone calls in a moment, but first.
Speaker 1: It's time to go around the horn with jose Mota.
Speaker 2: All right, jose Mota, what a nice night. Uh, we're getting spoiled now. Opening night and then a ring ceremony. I can get used to this every year.
Speaker 7: Oh it's pretty cold there to consider it. You know, everything these guys go through and to have it pretty much come to conclusion and getting the rings their smiles. I mean, you think about spring training, there's two championship. Remember spring training was not an almost spring training. The dollars at openings in Soul, Korea and then in Tokyo. Never an excuse about the schedule, the travel, any of that stuff. Just playing best for as we saw them do today. But what a nice culmination for the fans to watch their heroes get the rings act pretty much like little kids. I mean, those guys with those rings. This a beautiful thing to watch a high school team of college seem just to know that as a group we got something that so special and you are on the verge of also, you know, being close to doing it again. So congratulations again. Just to run the show and a lot of fun to watch for.
Speaker 3: Sure, Jose.
Speaker 2: You pointed out the outfield defense last night at Kyle Tucker. How about tonight it was it was a little bit more obvious than last night. In the second and fourth inning, him and Freeland teamed up for perfect relays. Those are difference making place that we didn't see last year.
Speaker 7: Dave, It wins games at this point last season, I remember you asking about should the outfield be a concern because of the defense, and I said yes, because he got who's in experience and you have ta Oscar playing right field on Taska did not move all that well at all. But let's forget about last year they won. Now let's talk about this year. You cut down base runners, you go after balls, as Tucker did yesterday in the very first inning against Predomant, keep to the first base. That sends a message about you being a complete player, you hitting the cutoff man and just making sure you play catch. It just came down basically today to the dollar's playing baseball, I mean playing team baseball, executing and all those things you go through the spring training about knowing your personnel. You know, guy like Alex Freeland, he needs to know where to line up well where he can put his arms up and also how Kyle Tucker which kind of arm he has to make sure that this is a correct to get the relay and fire away. I mean, just to the point by the book. And that is why a one run game becomes a win and not a loss because of plays.
Speaker 3: Like that great point that would have been a loss last year. For sure.
Speaker 2: When you look at Alex Friedland tonight, if you had to say somebody had the best overall game, he would be the guy that I point to tonight.
Speaker 7: I would say. So. Had a good conversation with him in spring turning and end today. One thing he told me that it was very interesting. He goes, you know, I need it last year kind of to pull me back a little bit more and just let me know that I needed to learn the game a little bit more. Remember he did not even get called up after you know, Russell's expanded now he spanned by a couple of players, but he did not get a chance to come up after September third, I believe, And he said, I took that to heart. I knew I needed to get better some things. I know that in terms of numbers, I didn't have the greatest of springs. But I was seeing the ball so well, and he said to me today, Dave, he goes, I am so looking forward to being in a batter's box. I cannot wait because I know the feeling. I know I'm going to see the ball better. I'm going to feed up this whole environment. And mainly, he goes, I'm getting the opportunity. I want to make the most out of him. Also with the bats, with the glove, and this guy has a powerful arm. Notice of that too.
Speaker 2: All right, before I let you go, Hoose, let's talk about m it Shehan. I had noticed when the Dodgers were in Mesa on March sixteenth, it was a split squad game, his velocity was down considerably, and he said it was a mechanical thing. He didn't really like me asking about it tonight again, as the game went on, the velocity started to dip. What are you seeing about it? Do you feel like it is a mechanical issue or should there be more concern? Cause for concern.
Speaker 7: It's always been a mechanical issue with him, because if you look at the rising class ball that he got guys without early he still has that. But what happened to me, is he lost to feel that change of it. He was executing so well in pronating so in and out of the zone early in the game. Dot with that pitch he was able to steal early strikes, have guys guessing and then not being able to catch up with that fastball later on. But what happened was she And I've been told by people in the organization that armslot needs to say consistent, Dave, carry on the fast balls there the velocity drops because everything else drops, right, and if you're not aligned properly with your arm angled release point and pointing to the right way, you can make the biggest of efforts and it's not going to be there because you're pushing the ball now, it's not coming out as hot because you're not getting on top as much. So that's the one thing that has to be careful with. And sometimes who knows if there's something he thinks about as the game goes on and he gets a little fatigue. But at the same time, I think mechanically is the one thing he needs to stay on top of it, not just velocity, but to make sure there's consistency in the delivery and repeating those mechanics with the armslot and not drops that elbow later in the game.
Speaker 2: He seems to be a guy, these newer generation type pitchers that are competing and judging themselves off whatever the data is telling them in their bullpen sessions during the game. How important is it for him to take the next step and feel that himself without looking at the iPad between innings.
Speaker 7: Yeah, you say something very important the next for him to go out there and say, hey, whatever I have that day, I know I could win. His stuff is good enough. His mother September was one that he'd have to remember how good he was because he was able to pitch. I mean September last year aar at one point four to two with thirty five strikeouts, only six walks, because he was consistent. He was strong. Remember and you said this a looted during the show that Dave Roberts said he is a physical specimen. He got so strong, the legs got stronger. Go back and build those legs again and keep it where they are. But in terms of data, Dave, I think sometimes even in bullpens, that thing should be thrown off. Bullpens should be more to me, just a feel for what the ball's doing as is coming in get reaction from maybe a stand up hitter. But if he started thinking too much and it's not a bad thing. I'm not saying a bad thing. It's modern day baseball. But at some point he's got to say whatever I have, no matter what the data says, I can go out there and trust that when the ball leaves my hand something that's going to happen, and then understand that it's all about hitters adjustments hitters. I'm not going to home play thinking about data. At what you have that'll know, well, they've seen us. How's the woll coming out of your head? And your conviction to compete on every single pitch. I want to see him compete every single pitch as he was in the first couple of innings.
Speaker 2: Jose, what'd you think about the first night of timmy trumpet and.
Speaker 7: Edwin Diaz oh Man sugar coming in just making everything sweeter for everybody? Dave, how about that? That was so sweet? And to include the local Intana Ta thing that was outstanding beautiful?
Speaker 2: All right, Jose, We'll see tomorrow night as the Dodgers go for the sweep on Will Smith bobblehead night.
Speaker 7: It should be fun for number sixteen again.
Speaker 2: Okay, thanks for the phone call, Thanks Jose, thanks for checking in part of the Spanish radio broadcast. Eight six six nine eight seven two five seventy is the phone number. Dodgers beat the Diamondbacks five to four tonight. They're looking for the sweep tomorrow. It's Will Smith go ahead home run bobblehead night, the swing that gave the Dodgers the lead in the eleventh inning last year in Toronto. That's the bobblehead that it's replicating or trying to replicate. So be here early, get your bobblehead and enjoy Opening weekend and celebrate your back to back World Series champion Dodgers. And oh, by the way, we all notice this. Steven Nelson pointed it out the most. As the Dodgers were getting their rings tonight, Jeff Hoffman was giving up a game tying home run in the ninth inning to the A's How about that with one out in the ninth inning?
Speaker 3: Sound familiar?
Speaker 2: The Jays found a way to come back and win it in the bottom of the ninth or extras. But yeah, as the Dodgers literally were getting introduced and getting handed their rings. Jeff Hoffman in Toronto was giving up a two to one lead at Rogers Center.
Speaker 3: How about that? The world works in mysterious ways.
Speaker 2: I'm telling you, all right, let's take one more film came before we say goodnight.
Speaker 3: Joe. You're on Dodger Talk. Make it good, walk us off, all right.
Speaker 9: Thank you, Dave.
Speaker 12: We're just on our way home from the game right now. What a great game. All the talk about Kershaw getting the job as a special assistant made us think, what's going on with Justin Turner? Can we get him to be a special assistant to Kershaw or somebody? What do we got?
Speaker 3: What do you think? Special assistant to David Vasse?
Speaker 7: I love that.
Speaker 12: I think that sounds great.
Speaker 2: He could be my intern as he breaks his way into broadcasting. Maybe you know, Justin wanted to play this year, and he still probably does, but nobody brought him into camp, so I'm not sure where he's at with his career.
Speaker 3: But he's forty years old.
Speaker 2: You don't see too many forty year old position players, let alone.
Speaker 3: Forty year olds in the game anymore.
Speaker 2: Joe, So you know, we love Justin Turner and he certainly deserves a spot with the Dodgers. And even if he doesn't have an official capacity one day, his nine years with the Dodgers is so it'll always be remembered.
Speaker 12: How about a role in the minors for the Dodgers.
Speaker 3: Now, he could teach. I'm telling you he could teach.
Speaker 2: He would be great as a coach in the minor leagues, in the major leagues, college baseball, he went to Fullerton. Whatever he decides to do in baseball, he'll be great at He knows the game as well as anybody. So yeah, we'll keep you updated on what he decides to do. Officially, Jason Hayward officially retired today, so we'll keep you updated on what Justin Turner decides to do. Thanks for the phone call, Joe, in case I didn't get to your phone calls tonight. I'll be back with you tomorrow morning at eleven am. Dodger Talk eleven am to one o'clock from WSS and Boyle Heights eleven to one. Miguel Rojas will be with us from eleven to twelve fifteen the address twenty seven to eleven East Olympic Boulevard and Boyle Heights, So we'll talk to you then thanks to Coliny, who's going to be up early with me tomorrow as well. Thanks to Dwayne McDonald out here at the ballpark, and thanks to you for listening. In case you missed any of the show or our conversation with Clayton Kershaw, you can find it on the iHeartRadio app.
Speaker 11: There.
Speaker 2: He is tonight's national anthem performer, Brad Paisley. Have a great rest of your night. We'll talk to you tomorrow at eleven am from WSS and Boyle Heights.
Speaker 3: See you once again. The final score Dodger Speed Arizona five to four. See you tomorrow. Put the memory miles on.
Speaker 1: I'm sure sold that thing. I smile, said, your room.
Speaker 3: It's ending the barn out bank. And if I can.
Speaker 5: Get that thing to crank, how bad A little test drave is down by the lave.
Speaker 1: Let's see if that tuxt it works. Let's see if that songs till say.
Speaker 3: Let's see if that dude got this