Joel Comm: There's a lot of questions surrounding Tether, the third largest crypto by market cap with the collapse of USD. People want to be sure that there is liquid backing. Dollar for dollar Behind USD 80 is the world's biggest stablecoin too big to fail? Today we welcome the Chief technology officer of Tether, Paolo Arduino to the show to ask these tough questions. We also discuss FTC's audits and the future of cryptos in general. We're a fairly stable podcast with unstable podcast hosts. Hopefully our guests can bring some stability to the show. On this episode, number 655. Of the Bad Crypto podcast.
Travis Wright: Five, four. Three. Ask are there all of the actors whose bad?
Joel Comm: I'm feeling unstable.
Travis Wright: Somebody hodl me. Is anything new? Yeah. You're not stable. Neither one of us are stable. This is the world's most unstable crypto currency podcast. Unstable for five and a half years of instability.
Joel Comm: Wow. Welcome to the Bad Crypto podcast. We are the metaverse morons, the web3 weenies, the algorithmic asshats, the bad crypto bad asses, duck, duck going stuff so you don't have to. And we are really excited about today's show because it's rare that you get sea level people from the big cryptos to come on the show to to talk about what's going on. We've tried to reach out to the CEO of Bitcoin. No response. You know, so maybe one day that'll happen. I don't know.
Travis Wright: Yeah, this one's going to answer some questions because we test some on some some pretty interesting topics with this guy, because I know a lot of people are thinking, wow, is is USD, is tether, is it stable? Is it going to last the long run? What's going to happen? Is it going to crash? And so we cover some of that today with the CTO of Tether who assures us that maybe or maybe not. We'll see. Awesome.
Joel Comm: Well, you believe him? Let's find out. Here we go. I guess you can say we're a stable podcast hosted by unstable people because we've been doing this five and a half years now. Trevor.
Travis Wright: So which one's the stable one?
Joel Comm: Clearly, Me.
Travis Wright: Clearly it.
Joel Comm: Is. Is there really? Is that even up for debate?
Travis Wright: I seem pretty stable. I mean, I'm definitely more more, you know, steady.
Joel Comm: I expect you to break out in a re any second.
Travis Wright: I'm not. I'm not in that easily offended. Thank you.
Joel Comm: Well, as long as we're talking about stable, one of the most controversial subjects in the crypto world has been stable coins, and one of the coins has been in the spotlight again and again with lots of questions surrounding it in spite of its massive adoption. Of course, we're talking about USD tether and today we are privileged to have with us the CTO of Tether, Mr. Paolo Arduino. Paolo, thanks for coming on Bad crypto.
Paolo Ardoino: Hey guys. Thank you for having me.
Joel Comm: Absolutely. Why don't you go ahead and give us a little bit of your history in crypto and how you came to be with Tether.
Paolo Ardoino: Sure. So I started coding in a very young age. So I started cutting since I was eight years old and it kept kept growing in me. The Passion always excited about privacy, could top WiFi, distributed applications and the power of computing. So, you know, initially at the beginning of my career worked on a super cool communication system for battlefields, for, you know, client communications in battlefields and then, you know, was in Italy, didn't pay much. So I moved to finance. To, you know, trying to make up the living. And so started working for a few hedge funds, started to build software for them, understanding all the intricacies, intricacies of finance. You know, also the bad habits of finance and the really, really bad infrastructure of traditional financial systems. So, you know, it's just to summarize, it is all cash buy together, buy rubber and beans. In 2014, I had the privilege to start becoming and well becoming one of the developers of the Phoenix, just focusing on matching engine. The platform was more and more adopted and hence they had some sort of lags and issues with the performances of their matching engine. So I was asked to, given my expertise in parallel computing scalable applications to was asked to improve that. And in 2017 I became also the CTO of Tether. So taking care of the security side, blockchains, integrations and you know swap of multisig and similar. So yeah, that is my energy's my story. I'm just a dude that codes.
Travis Wright: Dude that codes at some of the highest levels, right? And I mean, from what you've done, you know, working with the military as a researcher and some of those things, learning about cryptography and doing some of those things kind of prepared you for where you are today, which is an exciting thing. And I think a lot of people, they're looking at your background. They're saying, okay, wait a second, you're the CTO of Bitfinex and the CTO of Tether. How does that work and how does they work together?
Paolo Ardoino: Well, and also I'm the CSO that hole punch this news amazing peer to peer communication system that we are building.
Joel Comm: That sounds really busy to me. That's like. That's a lot of stuff.
Travis Wright: Yeah. That's your DIY mask over there. Yeah. I mean, I.
Joel Comm: Hope you're delegating like crazy.
Paolo Ardoino: I'm a control freak. So, but also, yeah, I have great teammates, so total delegation, but I like to call the shots when it comes to architecture and and security. You know, the history of crypto has been told by so many hacks that I'm always, you know, scared and always, you know, making sure that I can review every single line of code that is pushed to the systems to make sure that, you know, we we don't have any any problems. So. Well, yeah, really. So on the on the Bitfinex side, well, we have an amazing team of engineers and I still the main developer of the machine engine. You know, it's kind of one of my passions to make sure that we can squeeze as much performance as possible. So these with this last update that we published just few weeks ago, we were able to go below one millisecond of fool around latency. That is quite an achievement for a platform that started from crypto right in 2014 when I joined, we could process only 50 to 100 or two per second. Now we are basically at 1 million or third per second, like in 2014 crypto exchanges where felt like more e-commerce keys for bitcoin rather than, you know, our additive trading platforms. And nowadays, while the fast forward we hired not just us but the general industry hired many professionals from other industries. And now things seem quite better from the infrastructure point of view and on the other side.
Travis Wright: Did Did you say a million transactions per second?
Paolo Ardoino: That's correct.
Travis Wright: And is that bitfinex or is that tether?
Paolo Ardoino: No, it's bitfinex. So, you know, Dimension Engine is the part of the system that takes the orders from the different users and matched them. Right. So of course we go we go in parallel or multiple. So we have one CPU dedicated per trading pair. So you can every trading pair can independently use as much performance as possible for four per core.
Joel Comm: Well, let's go ahead and get to basics, because there's a lot of people that might be listening to the show that don't even understand how a stablecoin works. So give us a basic bird's eye definition of tether and how it works.
Paolo Ardoino: Sure. So there is as simple as a dollar and a blockchain. Now let me expand on that. So that I was born in 2014, right? Tetris is the company that created the concept of Stablecoins. So the reason of two exists of Tether at the beginning was I'm not sure how many of you guys that are listening remember the crypto sphere and ecosystem in 2014, but definitely was challenging, right? So. Bitcoin was traded on four or five top exchanges at a time. There was Bitfinex, Kraken, Bitstamp, Coinbase and Okcoin. And in order to run an exchange or having, you know, in a health exchange, you need market makers. But also you want to make sure that the price of Bitcoin is pretty much the same across all the exchanges. So. In August 13 was the first time Bitcoin went above $1,000 and you had some exchanges that were trading at 1.2 thousand. Other exchanges that were trading $900. Right. Because there is in for that was that in order to keep prices aligned across exchanges you had. You needed to have arbitrage reverse arbitrage. You're smart. Those traders that sell bitcoin on the exchange where the price is higher and buy back on the exchange where the price is lower. Of course, when you do that, you have to move dollars from one exchange to another. And in 2014, moving dollars from one exchange to another would take five days. So the arbitrage opportunity was basically gone. So the reason of tether to exist initially was, okay, let's use this pretend technology that Bitcoin created. It was called blockchain and why we don't use blockchain to move dollars. So at least at that time you could move, well, Bitcoin in 10 minutes. Bitcoin blockchain is one one block every 10 minutes pretty much. And we wanted to just use the same thing for tether. And so suddenly we could optimized the trading markets for four for across exchanges. So that is a symptom of a growing and more mature industry. And nowadays terror is becoming many more things. Is actually an inflation hedge for Turkey, for El Salvador, for, you know, for Venezuela, for Argentina and so on. So basically, is this total monetary base of terror is growing because people just need to not be subject to the enormous inflation due to their, you know, national currency like the Turkish for the last 80% year on year to, you know, from monetary policies and so on. Right. So is actually being used as a way to as a lifeline for for many people around the world, especially in virtual markets and developing countries.
Travis Wright: Yes. So somebody if they have some Bitcoin, right. Let's just say and say, hey, you know what, I think the price of Bitcoin is going lower. I'm going to sell my Bitcoin, But they don't typically sell the Bitcoin out to their bank account. They normally will put it in USD and they're going to put it in Usdc or some other stablecoin. Now we've seen what happened to USD with Luna, right? We saw how they were overleveraged. They didn't have enough. We just went through this horrendous thing with FCX. And so I know a lot of people are out there right now talking about what happened if what happens if tether fails? What happens if Tether does not have enough in their reserves to get us through this? Bitcoin we could see sub $5,000 price in bitcoin because people wouldn't have a mechanism to easily get out. And so I guess my question to you, Paolo, would be how do you ensure that tether never goes down? Because we need this decentralized stablecoin more than ever because we are on the precipice of this technocracy that wants to bring in these central bank digital currencies and they want to get rid of a lot of this crypto stuff. So how do we build up the faith and ensure that tether never crashes?
Paolo Ardoino: Well, just to be clear, Tether has older reserves that are extremely liquid, right? So there is a huge difference between Terra and, you know, all the other stablecoins that failed and tether. So with the latest attestation we have seen, we have shown that 82.5% of of the assets of tether are cash and cash equivalents. We increased the number of the exposure to U.S. Treasury bills. You know, all that craziness about, you know, the commercial papers. Well, we we show to our community that in less than one year we could do take the $30 billion that we have in in in commercial papers and move everything to U.S. T-bills. Right. So tether listen to the community and act in the best interest of the community. So the rest of the remaining 70% of assets are extremely collateralized assets by extremely with the collateral being extremely liquid. No FTT, nothing like that is overly overly collateralized assets. We have displayed also with Celsius with all the other companies that blew up. That tether has been the only one. Only company being exposed to these market issues has taken a risk management extremely seriously. You know, everyone is looking at obsessed by tether, but look at all the companies that are failing, right? So all the companies that we are consider the white knights, the holy heroes of the crypto industry. And yet, you know, they all failed their customers. Tether has older reserves that are extremely liquid, was able to process $7 billion in redemptions in you know in between the 14 and 15 of May ensuing 48 hours process $7 billion silver redemption that where around 10% of our reserves. No bank in the world can do that. The first bank that tried to do that was Washington Mutual in 2008, and they went belly up that they're adding $20 billion in 30 days. That was 30, 20, 25% of our reserves. And recently tether, tap, redeem always redemption honored no failed to honor single redemption all redeem at $1. So I mean we is not that we don't have enough information we have a ton of information about ourselves out there but also we have something that others don't have that are facts, right? So we have facts that say that we can redeem what people need in cash in dollars. Right.
Joel Comm: So let me let me explain why people are obsessed, Paolo. People are obsessed because if you look here at the crypto market, cap tether is the number three in crypto market cap with a market cap of $65 billion ahead of U.S. DC, which is at 44 billion. On your website, you talk about transparency and say, Here's how we're backed. But the audit is is still not happening. This article in Cointelegraph goes back to July of 2021. Tether Promises Audit in months as Paxos claims USD is not a real stablecoin. So this was more than a year ago. So I went looking. All right. Has any information been released? I ended up at BLOCK Works and the page that the headline is Tether Pushes Back Timeline and Audit Report. I get a four or four. It's gone from the website, so I had to go to archive.org to find the actual article that was captured but is no longer there. Where were you said that you promise a full review of its books and the timeline is being pushed back. Of course, you're the you're the guy they go to for this in which you said it was likely months away still. So the question is, is why is this taking so long to get an audit?
Paolo Ardoino: Right. Let's unpack that. Right. So you you rightfully express the opinion that a few people in the industry have. Right. So let's look at the first thing. So no other out there. Stablecoin has audits. The industry standard is attestations, so I think is unfair to single us out. That is the first thing. Second thing is, yes, we are working on an audit. First of all, a few months ago is around three months ago we moved from our accounting company. That was more common, right was top well, was the 12th biggest company in the world to a top five company in the world that is just out the first one outside a big four companies right that two attestations that the accounting. So we actually have the company that does accounting, that does at the stations that is the most reputable among the others Stablecoins. So also we are working. So I will let before we go there, let me explain why doing an audit with also a big four is so difficult. Because we have contacted them and we try to work with a few of them of the big four. And the issue is that without having clear regulations on stablecoins, they don't want to take the risk for them. Is there a potential reputational risk? So how you can fully audit something that you don't know exactly how you should own it, right? Because if there is no regulator, be great. It of course that tells you how many we each type of reserves are allowed, how many reserves, what is the type of backing that is allowed? What is there processes that you should allow and so on. Let that takes enormous risk on the shoulders of the big four. So they have too much to lose I think is unfair, but it is what it is. We got this exact answer now. We believe that with video and there are right now, right now other companies interested in proceeding with the audit is not that we didn't try it. We are ready and we're working towards it. We have again, we changed our accounting company just to prove that we can raise the bar, and that is that remains our top priority. So again, is not something that only is this is not just our issue is an issue of the industry and definitely have the accident didn't help. Right. So the more you make it a step forward, the more people are scared because you said, well, we have this claim to have a gap audit. FDX was, you know, so regulated and look what happened. So I can tell you that auditors are scared. So it takes time. You know, I'm the first one to say that unfortunately, is taking more time than what we wanted. We are not alone in not having an audit. And also the guys that claim to have an audit, you know, they went belly up. So in this way, the auditing firms are extremely scared. And so we need now to regain the trust for an entire industry.
Joel Comm: So you understand why it looks questionable to people, because, you know, this is not the first time there's been something that's that's happened that that's questionable. The attestation that was done by tether probably before you came on in 2017 showed that Bitfinex, which is a sister company, transferred 382 million to the bank account just before the attestation took place and you guys settled the case. Nobody admitted or denied. You know, the allegations were true or not, but it's certainly suspicious. And that's I think that's why people are rightfully so concerned to ask these questions.
Travis Wright: I'm not so. The beauty of the beauty is that people should be allowed to ask questions and answers should be given. Right. So I'm not annoyed by people asking question. Absolutely not. What I'm saying is that this industry, you know, my you know, my scene, that everything is easy from the outside. But we have fought both with Tether, with bitfinex, with hole punch, which seen for the industry more than anyone else and why. And everyone was looking at us. Many other companies failed. So what I'm saying is that questions are always fine, right? So, absolutely. But the problem is that what I find I'm finding myself and a little bit bitching about it is like being single out or like being like that. This black sheep, when you know all the mighty heroes are failing around. I don't know that they're necessarily going after you or targeting you like that. They're just trying to see transparency within the space. Right. And my thing would be this is that I don't know how what tethers do or if they're doing anything wrong. I trust tether I have USD. If it collapsed, I would be very sad boy. Right. But what I would like to see is some sort of proof of transparency within exchanges, right? So it could be pretty pot proof of transparency. And any time I'd like to look at and see, oh look you know tether has this Binance has the oh look the USD are USD. Oh I can look and see and it's almost like this power if you know in my mind. Right. And I think a lot of people's mind is if I give you $10,000 or I'm buying tether with $10,000, that $2,000 just going to a bank account or something. Right. So you could almost be like, oh, we have $65 million our and there it is. And I, I probably shouldn't be so hard if those are the off those deposited funds from users are there and not in distributed places. That's why a layman would look at that and say, so, you know, $65 billion worth of assets, there should be $65 billion over here, as long as there's not fractional reserve banking going on of some sort and leverage.
Paolo Ardoino: Can I So let me answer to that. Well, we have the at the station so people diminish the value of the at the station. Yet this station shows exactly what we have. Right. The difference between us, the station and food audit is that the audit shows also the attestation is more punctual, right? We are doing every three months. We are trying to make it and we are improving our processes to make more, to make it faster so that we can read this, release it month. Right? So we started from three months and it was taking 45 to 50 days to do the attestation and to collect all the information and provide the information to the auditors and do the attestation. Now we are going below the 30 days so that we can release this monthly. So it's not like we don't have anything. We have exactly what the other stablecoins have. And also we if you look at the length and the details of our attestation is much is far higher than the others. Also, we did the very same thing with Bitfinex. With the next we release the proof of reserve. So we showed, we displayed and we provide all the hot and cold wallet addresses of bitfinex. And also we have developed ourself a tool I developed with a couple of guys myself, a tool called Anthony, that also does proof of liabilities with a merkle, with a Merkle tree, and we'd bring signature type style of, of, of accounting so that people with privacy can verify that what we claimed it should have in the in the in the assets is effectively on bitfinex. So I agree that the transparency of this industry should keep crazy that I'm I'm battling with that I'm working also I'm helping my team to achieve that. So I again, I'm not saying that we shouldn't be more transparent and more transparent. The market transparency shouldn't be asked to everyone in this industry. One is right, has the right to be scared, especially in this moment. So not saying not to. What you are, what they are claim. I'm explaining the journey that we had in order to achieve what we have today. And also, I'm saying that the journey is not finished yet.
Joel Comm: Well, we're definitely working for, you know, everybody in the crypto space to to win. We need for USD and usdc to survive and not fall apart. Right? So that's what we want. But you know, to, to your point about attestations, FCX certainly had their attestations, but they were B.S.. Right. So the an external audit from a third party definitely adds credibility in value. And so you're saying it's likely months away. Can you give us like what is a drop dead date that you think we can expect to see this?
Paolo Ardoino: So first of all, FTX claimed to have a gap audit not an attestation made by a third party. So what I'm saying is that. All these. So attestations audits are extremely important, but also it's important to have facts. So the first time someone withdrew from FDX, they went belly up because they didn't have the funds. Tether was able to redeem $7 million in two days and was able to redeem $20 billion in 30 days. Plus, we did five $6 billion in the last week or so. Right. So the most important so we didn't just prove that tether is solid, right? We also proved that the bank, our banks are solid. We also proved that our KYC and email is solid because it's not like, okay, someone has already made money and that's safe, right? The biggest redemption that we had in one day as a one single transaction was $700 million. Right. So it means that, you know, if the receiving bank will see, you know, a wire for $700 billion, we'll likely question what that is about. And no questions were asked because the KYC, AML processes our reporting to regulators, our ability to work with law enforcement. We froze, by the way, also with FDX, we were the only stablecoin to act immediately and help both Bahamas and other law enforcement agencies to freeze assets immediately. And we returned more than $200 million to their two illegitimate customers within the last two years due to hacks and stuff. Right. We are always there. We understand that people are relying on tether. And also, I know that you understands the scene for their side. So definitely we are working towards an audit to answer your question. I don't want to give you a specific date. I don't know what will happen with the regulators now with FDX. So we'll we'll see. We'll have I'm I'm seeing a lot of questions around not just stablecoins crypto in general. The committee from regulators will say severely impact our industry. So we are going we are going to be and we are laser focused on the audit. But it will take time.
Travis Wright: It. It is interesting. So I would ask this question since tether is a stablecoin that's holding all the monies sitting there and all stablecoins essentially do that. How do those stablecoins actually make money if there is if they're not pulling anything from the reserve or pulling any customer funds and there's no dividends and there's no reinvesting of those funds that come in the tether, like what is the business model for these stablecoins to make money so that they can continue doing what they do? I bet people have that question.
Paolo Ardoino: That's a great question. So we have. So in general, stablecoins have well that the asset backed stablecoins like that and circle and the others. So I'm not talking about Terra and you know, and they centralized stablecoins, right? So let's focus on the, the biggest asset or the biggest category of stablecoins that I represent. So we have two ways of making revenues because the first thing when you you talk with a regulator, the first thing that they ask you is, is your business model viable and will remain viable. So the first way for us to make revenues that is unique to tether is issuances and redemption fees. We have ten basis points issuance and redemption fee. That is really important because when interest rates are bust, our are low. You need to maintain a viable business model. The in this moment, interest rates on T-bills are really high, approaching almost 4% on, you know, a low maturity like 3 to 6 months. And so, you know, you can make that calculation, right? So how many assets we are have under management and multiply by, you know, 3%, let's say, on the worst case scenario. Right. So you can understand that tether is an extremely profitable business and doesn't need to do anything bad in order to make money. We don't need to, you know, commingle customer assets. We don't need to do crazy things. It's just we hold the funds in our bank account. Every time someone wants to acquire tether, we make money. When someone wants to redeem tether. We didn't make money because we need to also guarantee that if, for example, last year interest rates were really low, we needed to maintain a viable business model. But you can see that if someone so issuing $85 billion of tether that was our peak made $85 million in revenues. Right. And so then when people redeem you, make money and so and so is import. That is the first part. And then again now the biggest money, the biggest returns are on the interest rates because they are the ones that are providing that. Well, since the Fed increased interest rates, now they are not the most prominent part in terms of earnings.
Joel Comm: So go ahead, Trav.
Travis Wright: Yeah, I have a question around this. So, you know, when I pay attention to global politics, right. And I do kind of see some things that are happening, it looks to me like the dollar is losing power worldwide as its reserve currency. Right? It looks like because historically, you know, if you wanted to buy oil in your country, you have to buy dollars first and then you buy oil. Right. And then I saw what was happening with Russia and Ukraine. Everyone saw that. But what I saw was the price of the of the rupee of the ruble, excuse me, was dramatically lower than I thought it should have been. I mean, for $1, it was like 115 rubles. And I was like, Oh, my God, I would take a lot of my stablecoins right now and put them in a rueful stablecoin. And if I had done that, I would have doubled my money. I can see that happen, but I don't have access to a rubles that is stablecoin. I didn't see that I have access to a Chinese stablecoin. I don't have access to a Brazilian. The BRICS economies. Brazil, Russia, India, China, South Africa. I don't have access to Stablecoins in those. So when is it going to be a forex component to this where I could see, I don't know that I trust the U.S. dollar. So in my mind, if the US dollar collapses, USD would collapse because there's that similar or that similar value there. But at that moment I would say I'd like to get out of my USD moving in the rupee A Rupal didi even the Indian one or the Russian one, right? How is that coming? Is that something we're going to be able to do, and why is it that we're not able to use Stablecoins in other currencies effectively yet?
Paolo Ardoino: So this is a great question. First of all, let me tell you that we, in fact, have different flavors of tether. So we have tether euro, we have tether Chinese yuan offshore and we have tether Mexican pesos and we have tether gold. Actually, the reality of things is that the no one cares about the euro just just very openly. No one cares about the other. So the point is that, yes, the BRICS are becoming more and more powerful, but at least given our experience, especially in emerging markets, everyone wants the dollar, right? So is they don't care about anything else they want.
Travis Wright: Which is so weird to me. That's so weird that people don't care about it in the crypto space, knowing that the Federal Reserve Bank has never been audited and knowing that we could potentially be teetering on this global economy craziness right now because, you know, we've seen that there's a global margin call in the world. That's crazy. We saw that the Bank of England was almost bankrupt. There's some crazy shit going down and it's almost like, what is the best hedge bet for your crypto? If the dollar is not the best bet, why would you tie them all up in stablecoins tied to the dollar? That's my question. But if you're saying most people don't give a shit about that, then that tells me most people aren't paying attention.
Paolo Ardoino: I agree. Well, actually, the one the only one that is working is tether gold. So the gold one is well understood. And, you know, there is this sort of fight in the crypto war between gold bugs and bitcoiners. Right. So but my point at least what I'm seeing is that gold is not in competition with Bitcoin. Bitcoin is a better version of gold, but actual gold is in competition with the dollar and with the other national fiat currencies. So that is the thing that actually is working more. So we are around $500 million of market cap with with tether gold that is not fully backed by.
Travis Wright: What is that USD what is what is the what's the.
Paolo Ardoino: X-A-U-T . And u t okay now. All right. And so basically the.
Travis Wright: Dude we've been talking about this one for a long time to Joe like, yeah, wow. Okay, we're tied to dollars. That's great. But I really wouldn't mind being tied to gold. This is not a bad idea.
Joel Comm: Yeah, this is actually the next question I had for you. So excellent transition that just happened accidentally. So we're looking for audits on USD t, Where is the gold?
Paolo Ardoino: So the goal is actually Switzerland. So the gold is purely physical, so we don't hold any gold notes or you know, or futures is, is fully in Switzerland so is reviewed by how is called I don't recall the English term sorry.
Joel Comm: Yeah. Them.
Paolo Ardoino: Yeah, that's right. Well, and basically it's fully it's all gold bars, you know, around 400 ounces of pure Troy fine gold. And the beauty of it is that you can actually redeem on four full gold bars. So of course, being 400 ounces, you have to redeem for an entire bar. We are not going to sue to to start cutting the bar. We plan to start using smaller bars for allowing smaller redemptions. And we deliver the gold bar anywhere in Switzerland, of course, for international shipping is is going to be crazy. So, you know, we can ship only in Switzerland and so you can come get your gold bar and go away and ship it complying to, you know, the rules of your own country.
Travis Wright: Well, you can't take it with you because if you enter that country And they say, hey, do you have $10,000 more value? Like, Oh, no, no, I just got it. Yeah, I got this big ass bar gold here. Sorry about that. This is ours now.
Paolo Ardoino: Well, you can do like you can, in fact, reduce, you know, you can do smaller, like one kilos bar or half a kilos bar and so on. So we are starting with that operates it's started recently this, this new project and the goal is fully held in Switzerland. I mean is Switzerland's been proved to be the safest place for gold throughout the history in years. So but that is the thing with gold is that I come from Italy and now you know it's gold is extremely well understood by emigrants from the populations that have always to have something, you know, under their pillows because they have a you know, they're that geopolitics of debt that those eras where kind of weird and crazy. The same happens with India, with the with Turkey, with, you know, Venezuela and the others. Right. So I think that gold is is quite interesting for that aspect. But really, no, no way that I mean, from what we are seeing, no other national currency has any shot against the dollar. Honestly, if you can.
Joel Comm: Explain for me, Paolo, maybe this makes sense in some way when I look at the gold price right now as we're doing this interview at 1739 an ounce, the gold price of excess duty is 1705 dollars. Why is there such a discrepancy in the trading price of the the tether gold versus the market price of gold right now?
Paolo Ardoino: So we as to keep the market the business model viable, we have to apply 25 basis points each to the redemptions. Right? So, you know, you have to carry a physical, a goal or a goal bar and so on. So of course, that's reflected in the price. So if of course, if you hold like a gold node or a future that is different because you know, you sell it on the market and you know, there is there is no actually carrying on the underlying, but the, if you will, actually selling a piece of a gold bar that has certain requirements that also are physical requirements.
Travis Wright: And so and that's actually true to this day, Joel, If I try to go to some place and buy some physical gold, there's always a little bit of a premium on that. If I want to buy gold coins, if I want to buy silver coins, there's the spot price and then there's the price that it actually is. So there is always a little bit of a difference and there's not much of a difference really comparatively of excess duty versus the price of gold. Comparatively, it would seem like it seems a little bit lower, but they'll pay for gold is such a problem. Paolo. I mean, what is it for Every real physical ounce of gold, there's like 500 fake paper ones from COMEX, and it's very similar to that with silver for every silver physical ounces, 200 plus some odd, some fake ones. And so the fact that you're actually pulling in physical ones and stating that definitively that is a much bigger thing because realistically there's about 500 times less gold in the world than the claim and about 200 times less silver than they claim overall. Right?
Paolo Ardoino: Yeah, The the basically the point that I hear many people doing is that the gold, the price is kept low by the immense future markets that, you know are like, you know, ten times bigger than the actual gold, you know, physical gold market. So back to, you know, in a critical geopolitical situation, you know, there might be a breaking point where the gold, actual physical gold price cannot be kept stable anymore. And that could be an interesting event. Right. So, you know, you can say the very same thing goes for for Bitcoin, Right. So the size of the future markets, I mean, it's.
Travis Wright: That's kind of keeping the price of Bitcoin down maybe as those for those futures, which there's a lot of traditional financial mechanisms that really shouldn't be in crypto because of how they can manipulate things like that. That's always been my opinion. As soon as YouTube popped up, you could see the market getting weird. You can see some of these other things popping out of the market's getting weird. So hopefully we keep the weirdness out of crypto and only the weird people can stay in crypto like us.
Joel Comm: Yes, crypto needs weirdness. Well, Paolo, appreciate you coming on today and letting us put your feet to the fire a little bit. I'm sure we're not the first and we won't be the last and we will be looking forward to a few months from now. Hopefully, as you say, seeing this outside audit and allaying people's fears even further. But let's hope USD Usdc remains as stable as promised.
Paolo Ardoino: Absolutely will. Thank you very much, guys. Was it really fun?
Joel Comm: Well. Travis, how do you feel about that? Do you feel like Pablo answered the questions to the satisfaction of yourself and to our listeners?
Travis Wright: Well, I think that he definitely put some some insights on it that we maybe didn't have. And he says that, well, it's very secure. So, of course, somebody in his position would say that's I guess we shall see. So, you know, you stablecoins at your own risk of stability or instability. It's up to you. Mm hmm.
Joel Comm: Mm hmm. So we appreciate you guys listening and we appreciate reviews. Good, bad or indifferent, we tell you, hey, if you're going to if you really like the show, give us a five star review and feel free to be funny. If you're just going to be a whiny little bitch, then you know why? Why bother, right? Why put that out there? Well, this guy did e y c s f c a a reviewed us with a one star review stoking election conspiracies. I've enjoyed some of the industry insights, but stoking a lecturing election conspiracies make me question their credibility. Friend, The fact that you are not questioning the elections totally makes me question your credibility and your ability to be a self thinker. I mean, this is here's how bad it is, Travis, that in Mojave County, the gentleman on the board, Mojave County that has to certify the votes was told that if he did not certify the votes, he was committing a felony and would be arrested. So he.
Travis Wright: Saw.
Joel Comm: That. He said that. And he's like, all right, so I vote I, I mean, is this America? If that doesn't.
Travis Wright: If you don't certify, you're getting a felony. Like, well, but if it's incorrect, do you get a felony? I mean, who's who's giving out the felonies while the head of the the head of the election committee over there was actually one of the people who was running for governor like that in itself. He should be like, I need to stand down on this one, you know.
Joel Comm: So we we got we got one star review from this fella. Sorry to see you go. Hopefully you will be more open minded in the future to the fact that you might be eating up some of the narrative that they're feeding you on the little spoon out of the baby food jar.
Travis Wright: Yeah. Yeah. Mr. Gerber, I'm glad to see you go. I'm glad to see you go. If you're an idiot, get out of here. I don't want to talk to the media.
Joel Comm: We welcome idiots.
Travis Wright: Well, we welcome some idiots, but you got to be a free thinking idiot.
Joel Comm: I you Listen, I don't have everything right. There's many times in my life that. That I know I.
Travis Wright: Want to read a joke. I want to read in Idiot.
Joel Comm: This guy, though, gave us four stars. John K 53, 74, four stars. This show is reasonably funny. Which you know what that is? High praise.
Travis Wright: We are reasonably funny.
Joel Comm: If we can get by with reasonably funny. Yeah, that's pretty good.
Travis Wright: That's it. Maybe me and you by a lot. Welcome to the Bad Crypto podcast. We're reasonably.
Joel Comm: Profitable. Funny, I like and we're in.
Travis Wright: It for and according to some were not reasonable. Was unreasonable, unreasonable, unreasonable, irrational. We don't even know how to say it. So I like that we're not unreasonable when it comes to things that you don't like wearing or unreasonable.
Joel Comm: No, we're very reasonable.
Travis Wright: Or air reasonable.
Joel Comm: The the bad crypto nifty club. It's rock and roll and every day people are signing up You might want to as well because we're dropping free nfts. In fact, our next episode is going to welcome back G. Edward Griffin. This dude is a living legend. You don't want to miss this. And I could tell you now that there is going to be a free NFT. So to join the Bad crypto Nifty Club, go to bed crypto dot Uncut dot FM as you see here, and you're going to want to scroll through the John McAfee ones, though some of those are for purchase but the bad crypto nifty club right here, this is the one you need to own to get the free airdrops and it's going to cost you $2 million. No, that's not right. $2.42 as of right now, .002 wrapped ether. That's to keep the bots away and then the free airdrops are going to come your way. So really.
Travis Wright: Bots, we're keeping the bots away. Hey, you know, last night I listened to I watched. Have you seen this yet? Bo Burnham has insights special that he did when he was just inside the house. No, we seen yet. Oh, my God. I will go on and say it's borderline creative genius. Okay. That's what they say, that Netflix and I will say this. It's so funny that Netflix was basically like, okay, we want another special now. Do you have any outtakes from it? And so he basically created another one called Outtakes from Inside, and he saved that house for 200 and some odd days creating this thing. And he made all the songs that he made all the videos for each one of the songs that all the lighting. It's it's impressive. I was I had just listened to somebody play the song called White Woman's Instagram. And I was laughing. I listened to the song on Spotify. I was like, Haha. And then he had another song that was catchy and I was like, Oh, that's good. And then I realized it was on Netflix. And as I don't normally peruse Netflix all that much, but I went and watched it. I was I was blown away by the new genius. I think that he's pretty and he's pretty aware too. So when you read between the lines, you can see how he kind of thinks.
Joel Comm: Travis is totally UNsponsored pitch for Bo Burnham. I'm going to go give it a I'll give it a watch for sure.
Travis Wright: I was like.
Joel Comm: Hey, what? Trevor We got a bunch of voicemails from people. What would you think of doing a listener feedback show here in the near future?
Travis Wright: I think near future sounds good. Let's do that. I think in the very near future I'm going to eat some food though.
Joel Comm: So here's what you guys need to do. If you want to be in the feedback show, email us at Bat crypto podcast at gmail.com. You can ask us questions, you can give us feedback, tell us what you think. You can just tell us, stay bad, tell us, you know what? How the show has has helped you or hurt how we've.
Travis Wright: Learned it, how we've landed credence to conspiracy theories.
Joel Comm: Yeah, that's all good. I don't know.
Travis Wright: You know, Joe, I don't really know Joe. Conspiracy theories like 18 an hour right now. So I don't know how somebody can come out and be like we're.
Joel Comm: As a realist or call us. Here's the bad crypto hotline number 7088859030708 85 9030. Call us. We'd love to hear your voice and we'd especially love to hear from the crypto check's like and we know you're out there. Don't be shy. Call us ask questions, give feedback. Tell us a joke. Tell us to stay bad. Tell us to get lost. Whatever you want. Like Will and will. Gather those up and do a listener show. We'll put the spotlight on you guys here sometime in the near future.
Travis Wright: Yeah, we're going to do it for episode number 666.
Joel Comm: Oh, that would actually be like the episode of The Beast.
Travis Wright: I might be just bullshit. I know what episode where we are now.
Joel Comm: This is 655 and we're glad that you guys listen. Thanks again. We'll catch you on the next episode with G. Edward Griffin. Until then, stay at.
Travis Wright: Reasonably bad. Who's bad?
Joel Comm: The Bad Crypto podcast is a production of Bad Crypto LLC. The content of the show, the videos and the website is provided for educational, informational and entertainment purposes only. It's not intended to be and does not constitute financial investment or trading advice of any kind. You shouldn't make any decisions as to finances, investing, trading or anything else based on this information without undertaking independent due diligence in consultation with a professional financial advisor. Please understand that the trading of Bitcoins and alternative cryptocurrencies have potential risks involved. Anyone wishing to invest in any of the currencies or tokens mentioned on this podcast should first seek their own independent professional financial advisor.