Joel Comm: A long time ago in a galaxy pretty much identical to this one. Some pointy headed nerds built the foundation of the Internet. One of those pointy headed nerds was the CEO of Mozilla, a co-founder of the Firefox browser and the creator of JavaScript. Today, he is the creator of the Brave Browser, a wonderful privacy based alternative to Chrome and the rest of the corporate browsers. His name is Brendan Eich and he joins us to discuss the early days of the web, the mess that he helped create and how he is helping to clean it up and lead us into a decentralized web3 world. Join us for a discussion with this brave legend on our Pioneers. Get all the heroes. Episode number 653. Of the Bad Crypto podcast.
UU: 503000 What do I do? Who's Bad?
Joel Comm: Greetings, Brave. Journey Men and Journey Women and Journey Persons And Journey is a really good band. Even like after Steve Perry, it's a bad crypto podcast show for the crypto curious and the crypto serious that is brave the Lord. Travis Right. And I am also brave. So Lord Joel, calm and you are brave. Fill in the blank.
Travis Wright: Mm hmm. And Joel's just a city boy born and raised in New Chicago. Very nice. This. This is a fun episode, guys. I mean, long time coming on this one. I don't know which all. I have a conversation after we interviewed Brendon, and we were like, Hmm, who is comparable to this guy? Right? This guy essentially was one of the guys who helped build the browser the way we know it, right? I mean, he invented JavaScript. He he was really early in Netscape, which Netscape was an evolution of Mosaic, which was the very first that I know of. Right. And then went on to create Mozilla Firefox. And then, I mean, embrace this. This is an Internet legend. He's a pioneer of Web one, Web two and now Web three. And we got him all that crypto and we're bringing him to you.
Joel Comm: And what's really interesting about it is you discover some of the mistakes he made along the way that was kind of oops, especially as it came to tracking people's behavior and how that turned into a really bad thing. But then he talks about what he's doing to fix it. I think you guys are really going to enjoy this here discussion with the one and only. Brendan, I. It's been more than a hot minute since we have talked about the brave browser. And in fact, we've been talking about the brave browser for five and five years, I would say, of hot minutes as a alternative to using evil Google Chrome on your your computer. If you want to keep your data in your privacy is the way to go. This is not a paid advertisement. This is not a commercial. This is actual recommendations because we use brave, we like it. And what really excites us is today we have the CEO and co-founder of Brave, Brendan Eich is joining us right now. And we're going to talk about all kinds of things. Brendan, welcome to the Bad Crypto podcast.
Brendan Eich: Don't forget that.
Travis Wright: Yes, the Netscape thing, that Mozilla thing, but most important, micro unity.
Joel Comm: Yeah, he's he's got quite a background. You were the CTO, then CEO of Mozilla and you helped launch the Firefox browser and you're also the inventor of JavaScript, which is the world's most popular programming language. So you know, that little thing happened. And then of course you founded the brave browser. So why, why found brave? Go ahead and tell us your reasons, especially after having launched a successful browser and Firefox that you thought we need brave.
Brendan Eich: Right. So when we did Firefox, we were not as conscious about privacy as we are now. And we did this search deal with Google, which at the time was a great search engine. It hadn't become a big alphabet company full of all sorts of different businesses. That all seemed to be lost. Leaders for the ad exchange business, which is the main revenue leg of Google. We also and in Firefox, we let the privacy conscious users do all extensions for themselves and then grow those extensions. We called them add ons back in the day. So when I left was I sat for a long time thinking about two big problems. One is that browsers, if it gets access successful, tend to be captured by a big tech company, like a search company, which is really an ad exchange like Google or in the nineties by an operating system company, which is really a word in Excel. The Sweet Company that was Microsoft. And I also wanted to help users have a direct say in not only their privacy but sort of economics on the Web and users, if they're just eyeballs to be counted in favor of, you know, ad traffic or ad revenue, they're not treated as as first parties or principals in the economics. They're just kind of. Farm animals that get sheared of wool every spring and shiver. And that's how people in the nineties talked about our users. They were eyeballs. You are monetizing eyeballs. User attention was creating a new data economy. Data was the new oil, which is a nonsense statement of our third one. And with Brave, I wanted to do something that was much more direct. It put users directly in the revenue share for private ads if they wanted. It allowed them to directly transact on blockchains with other parties to send money to. You all support your favorite YouTuber. So, you know, being disintermediated, being creator, economy, that's what was on my mind. And to do both of those things, privacy and I would say direct economic user first participation required thinking about how to marry cryptocurrencies and security including privacy.
Travis Wright: Right. So, you know, it's always been fascinating. You know, being in Joe and I have both been in the Internet since the beginning, really. I mean, Joel was one of the first, what, 10,000 websites that was created or something like that with with World Village. I got online in 96 and I've been paying attention to things. And so, you know, I remember AOL buying Netscape. I remember when when when Bill Gates didn't even think that Netflix and Netscape was even something to be concerned about, and they didn't even have a browser yet. So these are these are yeah, this is really early on. So you're you're you're really early on in Web one. I would almost say you were in Web point five right through Mosaic became net Netscape. I keep want to say Netflix. If I say Netflix just mad me, it's not intentional. So it's like, what? What did that really early internet sorta teach you? Because you were like the chief architect. You were building stuff really early with, with with Netscape. So how did that sort of forming and, and, and maybe how did that get in the JavaScript? Because you create, you build some really kickass foundational things for the Internet that we all use today. Many of us probably take that for granted.
Brendan Eich: Well, thank you. As you mentioned, I was at my community one more year than I should have been, so I missed the founding of Netscape. I came in the second year pretty much second chronological year of age, and I did JavaScript in a big hurry because it wasn't clear with Java, the Big Brother language from Sun to people at Netscape and to most people at Sun that we needed JavaScript. But Marc Andreessen of Netscape and Bill Joy of Sun and I argued that we did for the same reason that Microsoft had Visual Basic as well as Visual C++ and its stack. So you had one scripting language that was dynamic and easier to use for a great number of people to use to glue things together, build apps, patch things. And you had a more expert language for the component builders. So that was the idea behind JavaScript. But to just recapture the feeling of the early web web one days, the PC was dominant. We all sat in front of big bottle monitors. We played Quake right after Doom. We were on Lands. We we didn't necessarily have great home Internet connectivity. AOL had City bombed the country to get people online through dial up and people were starting to get faster, you know, the street multi-tool and whatever it's called.
Travis Wright: I found one of those recently, by the way. I found an old floppy disk where I was like, Oh my God, this one is super early.
Brendan Eich: But one of the things this meant was you had to be your own system administrator of your home PC, and that was hard for people. But it was good in the sense that you didn't just rent the device from an Apple or Google and they treated it like theirs. And you were just the sheep to share of a wall. Like I said earlier, you really were a participant. You would buy games especially. But other apps, productivity apps, security apps, you would go down to Fry's and buy stuff, right? So this was more of a of a user sovereign world. It was the world where you could do your own thing, you could upgrade your graphics card, you could try stuff, you know, you could participate in hacking on software for the PC. And when I did JavaScript, it became very easy for people to hack on websites in a way that was programmed. It was enlivened with dynamic responses, not just on the server side, but on the client side. And so what we were trying to do with Netscape was make the web lively and useful. We wanted to have images that was done at Mosaic and maybe we wanted to have cookies so you could log into your bank and then navigate around your different account views without having to log in every time because the HTP protocol was stateless, so it would not remember who you were and there was no way without cookies to keep track of you. So in some ways you could say tracking was invented through the cookie, but it was a good kind of tracking. It was. First party, the site you go to intentionally, the site you need to know is really your bank and not an imposter phishing site. And that's still true to this day. So that was what you to before we didn't think about and I'm going to set Netscape a year late and people wanted to fix it, but it was too late. Was that between images and cookies, there was an easy way to trap users across the web and build up a profile.
Joel Comm: And then that became something that was leveraged by, you know, big tech and say, okay, we can we can weaponize this not just for ad dollars, but against our so-called enemies.
Brendan Eich: It was leveraged in many ways and that term is used in finance. It was even used that way because a lot of the tricks that were used with ad tech were sort of like financial trickery or, you know, promising something for nothing. And when advertising technology evolved and Google was a big part of this, but there was always a big sea of vendors out there in the so-called Loomis scape. They all depended on these things from the nineties, the image, the cookie and scripts, JavaScript. And so I created a monster.
Travis Wright: So, yeah, as you see, you inadvertently created something and you were like, Well, so so is this a moment where you're like, Wow, there's some crime, not only linger lingering out there, I better do something to kind of unravel this. And is that what you thought when you then went over to Mozilla?
Brendan Eich: I think with Mozilla, we we definitely wanted to take back the Web and show that the browser was not going to be Internet Explorer and Windows forever, which is what people would say, Oh, you can't drive a new browser and get traction. Microsoft cornered the market and you should just give up. And they were wrong. We showed that with Firefox. We restarted the market. We showed Sergey Brin in particular and Larry Page of Google. And they they liked it so much. They made Chrome eventually and Safari at the same time. Steve Jobs saw the value of the web. So Safari was around the same time as Firefox 0.9 or eight because that's.
Travis Wright: Really because Bill Gates and the Explorer there was now he's like, all right. Then he finally built the Explorer and then it got up to like 90 something percent of the people were 95% of the people were using that. So of course, they needed an alternative because I remember the floods. As soon as I found out about Firefox, I was gone. Oh, how moving?
Brendan Eich: Yeah. Pop ups. Remember that lack of tabs and ActiveX and other security holes? Microsoft walked away from it. They put it under of a skeleton crew because they thought they could go back and do Windows Vista and get good old fashioned Monopoly lock in like they had in the nineties. And they totally missed the Web 2.0 so-called. That's what John and Tim called it. But the point zero, which is kind of nerdy revolution that was happening through JavaScript and Moore's Law and browser innovation like in Firefox and Safari and Opera, and they also missed mobile, right? Even though they were doing things with Nokia, they missed the iPhone. So Microsoft, in my view, miscalculated. But they definitely, after becoming a monopoly power with the browser, they just abandoned their explorer, they went to.
Joel Comm: Running and now they've got Edge, which is a stupid, you know, browser that they bundle with the machine. And of course, Chrome became dominant. Firefox, you know, certainly had its share, but Chrome became dominant. Google is evil and they removed the.
Brendan Eich: New monopoly.
Joel Comm: And they're monopoly and you don't there's no reason to use Google Chrome. It's harder to get off Gmail and docs and calendar and I'm working on it myself. But it's easy to get off Chrome because Brave is a great alternative. And you know, when I started using it, there was probably, I don't know, maybe a million or so, half a million users. Now you got 60 million active users a month. I mean, and that's still just a drop in the bucket for what it needs to be for people to reclaim their privacy.
Brendan Eich: Yeah, and you're right. We have to make it easy to get off chrome, which, you know, in this world we live in. When you have some open source project like Mozilla or what Steve Jobs forked into web kit, which was originally called HTML, and then Chrome forked into the link and part of the chromium project, there's a sort of successful set of genes there. It's almost like, you know, immune system genes or disease resistance genes, and those are not going to die. So people sometimes complain preinstalled on chromium, the open source that Google runs to build chromium, but it's also what edge is built on. Samsung browser is built on it, Yandex Opera and many others. So my my point here is that they're successful sort of open source DNA and we all share it and use it. And some of it goes back to Mozilla. So it's not all Google and a lot of it goes back to Apple Web case. But then there's what you do with the product that gives the user a fair deal, and that is something Google will not do. They're still talking about blocking so-called third party cookies. Those are the ones from the embedded invisible pixels and scripts that track you. And they they just kick the can down the road again, delayed when they get rid of third party cookies in almost every other browser. The browser out there now does protect you to some degree from those tracking cookies. Brave does the best job, but it's become standard except for Chrome, because Google is fundamentally this big ad exchange business.
Travis Wright: I actually was Joel that you would have a one year. I'll have those cookies. Yeah, the Internet cookies. Sure you have.
Brendan Eich: Yeah. Yeah.
Travis Wright: Sorry. I went to.
Joel Comm: I got my psycho bunny on instead.
Travis Wright: Now, that's good. So, you know, now here we are. You have brave. And what would you sort of you know, it says it's private. It's better. Why? Let's say somebody is tuning in to listen to bad trip out because they don't even know why. We haven't talked about Brave for probably a year or so. I know Joe mentions it sometimes it's like because he doesn't use Chrome at all. Actually, on my computer downstairs, I don't really use chrome, but up here only Chrome was on. So I'm actually I'm on Chrome right now, but I haven't had the power that Brave downloaded yet. But now I just got it downloaded. What what would you say to people as to why you want to get on this? What's that? What's that that action for them and why would they even care?
Brendan Eich: Right. So brave blocks all privacy threats by default, and there's tons of them on the web, not just third party cookies. There's fingerprinting methods, there's redirect bounce trackers. There's all sorts of crazy hairy surface on the Web APIs that can be used for tracking, and it can also be used for good. If you go to a site like your bank where you want to have that trusted relationship. So you have to block the bad but keep the good. This is an ongoing research and development agenda. We do it and you see it in the product in the form of a rape shield. It's the lion's shield at the right end of the address bar. And that's that's the privacy part of Brave. Right next to it is the Bat logo. That's the basic attention token. That's the feeling the user in for Brave Rewards, part of a great user value proposition. But we we made privacy on by default and the web standards didn't I'm sorry Netscape did we kind of missed about even if Firefox did not make browsing on by default Safari probably do the jobs did they did private windows as an option in Safari before they were added to Firefox and they're now standard in all browsers. These are windows that just forget your your history and you don't save any cookies after you close the window. And that's not enough. It doesn't give you network privacy. It doesn't protect you from from this tracking and privacy threat that is out there through ads. So we've made privacy by default happen for all the tracking threats. This just blocks all the ads. We've watched the YouTube pre-roll ads. So Brave is the best YouTube app out there. By the way. This is something people are starting to appreciate that adds more ads. Yeah, No. As they overload the ads to push you in the YouTube premium, people are saying, Hey brave, this is already I can block ads for free.
Travis Wright: Yeah I hate that I later. Oh, so for a month free, I know I'm not going to ever sign up so never. Basically brave is sort of like an anti-virus malware protection tool completely.
Brendan Eich: That's right. In fact, malware went into ad tech. The malware distributors wanted to get machines taken over for ransomware originally for botnet conversion to do ads. Right. So they would put little exploit kit scripts hidden inside real ads they would pay to run in cheap slots on online sites. And that was that's one of the threats we block. So there are actual dangers out there. You know, people could trap you, surveil, you spy on your boy. You there's there's malware distribution, too. But just the privacy raid also hurts you because we hear about data breaches every year. So all these adtech vendors are trying to profile you for their own business, their own exit to some bigger company, their own return on the venture capital investment. Most of that's dying now and it's consolidated around Google and a few other big players Facebook, Twitter. But this privacy cost is not just that you might have a data breach or you feel spied on. You feel targeted by creepy ads. It's also that those scripts that keep running to target you in place, those ads burn your battery, especially on mobile, because they're running the radio a lot more like 40% more than if you block them. And so you get a real performance winning page load and rendering. You get a real battery savings with brave. And this is measured independently by outfit UK called Green Spectre. In 2019, they showed a nice chart on Android. Brave was the winner in terms of battery savings and our own research team study just came to the same results. So it's an honest result. We walk so many scripts and reduce the traffic on the net and this also plays into your data plan. If you pay for that and everybody does pay ultimately somehow that there's a real savings to the privacy. And privacy means power of battery savings. It means faster paid for it.
Joel Comm: Well, and there's a lot of things that are built into the browser that that I really like. When you go to the settings, you know, I like that you continue where you left off. You can easily import all your bookmarks from, you know, wherever you haven't. So you can go to Chrome and export your whole HTML file and import them and organize them. Here you've got rewards for if you decide to watch ads, but you've also got, you know, a built in wallet. You've got built in ipfs, which is useful for next year. This is there's a lot of functionality. All I've only encountered, I think one Chrome extension that didn't work in my brave browser, but ever all the extensions for all my wallets and LastPass and all those things metamask, they all work great.
Brendan Eich: They should. We took out the Google account system support that extensions can use, but most don't because that's actually a tracking vector to when Google realized that people weren't logging in to the browser. You still want to log into Chrome in the upper right corner. They said, Well, darn it, we'll just log you in to our, you know, the browser. Any time you log in, in any tab to YouTube or Gmail or one of our other log in services, and that tracks you across all tabs. So Google turns Chrome into spyware. They made it part of their ad business, and I can understand this. They have to do this as a public company, but that's the opposite what we want. So we ripped out all that that Google account tracking and that maybe what broke that extension.
Travis Wright: So I want to talk a little bit more about mobile. Right. Because it would seem to me that you using desktop or your laptop brave is a great solution. But if you're using your mobile device, which everyone is, it almost seems like brave's pretty much the only solution because it speeds everything up, it kills your battery less, right? So it's like, yeah, maybe talk a bit more about mobile because I think that's just completely brilliant what you guys are doing.
Brendan Eich: Yeah, that's where the real battery savings comes in because all this ad scripting overload that we block really does run the radio, and the radio is a number one or two consumer of the battery. The screen is usually the number one consumer. But when you load a bunch of scripts in Chrome, it's going to go crazy on your radio that's going to drain the battery. So it's also going to delay page loads sometimes because the mobile web came later, a lot of the publishers didn't update their designs. Well, many have by now, but you have pages on mobile that will never load because of all this crazy scripting and ad tech. So we block all that and there's a huge savings to your battery. It makes the page load faster. It's much more responsive. We do a great job with YouTube, so I do my I keep an eye on the YouTube app just for misery and to see what the ad pre-roll ads are and keep up with the Joneses. But it's a bad app. So in Brave we have something, we'll bring it to Android. It's already on iOS called Playlist. If you load a YouTube video or another video on a different site, you'll see a button up and the address bar on the right to add the playlist. And you can open that video on the playlist. And it for me seamlessly switches over to a custom video player. There's no ads and you can save it for watching later. You can play it when you're offline on a train. You can do all sorts of things that you should be allowed to do. You cannot easily get the file out or pirated, but that's okay. You're just viewing it. This is something that any. Web browser should be able to deal with any web video that's put out in a standards way, conforming way without DRM. And that's what most of YouTube is. So playlist is something I encourage people to check out on iOS coming to Android. It's really great for YouTube. You can save it and playlist. Watch it later. If you get interrupted, you don't worry about losing where you were in the YouTube mobile or web app. It's in your playlist.
Travis Wright: I want to add something it's just going to follow up on. This is one of my favorite, you know, online website apps that I've used and I've actually worked with them in the past as Cloud America. And what I like about cloud in there is like, if I'm on my mobile device, I don't need a high res image to download, right? I don't need a huge video to download. A lot of times these websites are so filled with just it's an app or something that's 4k. And here I am looking at it on something, you know, that's super small. And so is that something you guys are going to be integrating or something similar to that? Because it's almost like the automatic resizing of things saves so much space.
Brendan Eich: We've looked at it. Google used to have something like this, too. The problem is it's a huge privacy problem. If you don't do it right and you end up tracking what users are viewing by looking at how you have to transcode their images. You want to do it in a in a way that's scalable across the world and efficient. So we keep looking at and looking at partners like Cloudflare and trying to get the privacy right. But what we mainly benefit from is just blocking so much stuff. So we've found, by the way, in doing something called Brave News, which is another one of those batteries included features and brave. If you scroll up the bottom of a new tab page, you'll see a newsfeed and it's matched on your device, just like the private ads and rewards that you can opt into. And that private newsfeed is based on RSS feeds from around the web. Remember RSS and it has privacy preserving properties. It doesn't just build up a dossier or a profile of you on the server side, and you can customize that. You can add your own feeds, you can take out some of the feeds that we think might be good for you. But the way we curate those is not by profiling you, it's just by sending catalogs down to you. Same with the private ads and then letting local machine learning match or in this case, very simple logic, just match what your history seems to be against what you get in the news feed that includes all the news sources and just picks the ones that match your history. And that that's part of our toolkit here is to block things and to use a smarter way of getting content to you. And one of the things that I wanted to mention about news that you you inspired there is we do try to keep the images from being too oversized. And sometimes we find news sites like you said, are shipping the 4K down to the phone for no good reason. So we actually have around that. So part of our greatest toolkit is to be a muscular client that has a lot of sort of smart filter rules that we can update quickly in a day or two to shield your privacy to get the right image sizes to you to block things and save your battery.
Joel Comm: So if I'm showing my screen here right now and you can see on this browser, I've I've had 8061 trackers in ads blocked saved 283.2 meg of bandwidth and 7 minutes of time. This is a computer I've had for just a few weeks. So this is a new install, which is why my brave rewards are new. I just looked at my my iPhone and on here my brave browser says 96,000 trackers in ads blocked almost three gig of estimated data saved an hour of time and and I've got rewards in my brave wallet as well so let's talk a little bit about that the the rewards the the attention token and how we do that and how it's used within the ecosystem.
Brendan Eich: So when I said it created a monster, I meant the worst part about JavaScript. The role in ad tech was that it was something where the browser was actually in the middle of all these ads being placed and all the tracking happening. The first ad targeted you, and then depending on what ads you viewed or the cheating that they do to try to say you to that when you didn't, JavaScript was involved there too. So I felt like Dr. Frankenstein a bit, right? They had their kill on Monster because that was not only draining your battery and exposing to all the threats we talked about. You weren't a piece you weren't out in as a real person who should be given part of the revenue. So from the beginning with Brave, I wanted to deal the user in to show, not just tell, that we put the user first. A lot of upstart browsers and privacy products will say, you know, our product is the best and we put the user first, but talk is cheap. If we actually pay you at least as much as we get from the gross ad revenue, then that I think aligns our interests and avoids these conflicts of interests that the big tech companies have where they become adversarial toward their users in order to serve their shareholders and their bottom line. So we do that with brave rewards. It's an optional system. We started out with Bitcoin and this was in 2016. We built a system where you could bring your own Bitcoin and you could send it to creators, website owners really who'd signed up with us. And it was pretty much direct. It was through Multisig wallets that Bitgo helped us with. So there was good security and no, no, no brave custody in the middle. It was like a two or three month scheme. But we found that between the Bitcoin block size issue and the congestion in 2017 and the fact that people want to hold Bitcoin because you had Bitcoin back then, if you don't want to send it to some random publisher, you want to keep it because it's worth a lot more now even with current market. So we realized we needed a new smart contract system in a new approach that included the browser as an element in the system. Because you cannot do ads and attention and privacy on the blockchain public blockchains, unlike zcash with pseudo transactions, but in general, distributed public ledgers or decentralized public ledgers are public. And that means that you can fingerprint the user by looking at transactions over time. Chainalysis Does this people discover who was behind the Mt. Gox hack or where the funds went? Things like that. People are looking at where FDX got its funds and where they might have gone. So there's a sort of problem for privacy if you try to do everything on chain. Also, like I said, it got expensive on bitcoin in 2017, got expensive on Ethereum after that. So we always included the browser as sort of a ultimate edge in our decentralized system, where each browser, each supercomputer in your pocket or your laptop can do a lot of local processing to match ads against the catalog and to mint zero knowledge proofs or sign your blind signature certificates. And this is at low cost, but it can preserve your anonymity, it can keep you shielded, and yet your you into the revenue flow. And that's what we built with great rewards as an opt in private ad system. You can also add your own funds. You can tip or give a recurring monthly contribution to creators. We've got, I think, 1.3 million creators signed up. A lot of them are YouTubers because they either never got monetized or they got demonetized without being kicked off the platform. But YouTube is still where the videos are hosted. Well, in the comments or so, we provide those creators an alternative means for their fans to support them. And that is the fan, the creator, Direct flow I mentioned. And once you form a relationship with that creator, you can even go direct through your self-custody wallet to their creators, wallet on chain, on a fast chain with low fees if you want to do so, we're paving the way toward usable self-custody and direct peer to peer crypto through great rewards. We're getting users from a very large funnel up to 60 million. It's been fluctuating on the monthly active, so that's kind of a difficult number. I can explain more and we're getting those users. Funneled into crypto and in winter or summer or nuclear winter, whatever happened to FCX? Whatever happened there is causing a real chill right now. We're bullish on crypto. We think in the long run this is the right way to advance the users interests above all the central powers.
Travis Wright: Yeah, just scroll down on your website. Basic attention token. You can see you still have FCX there, so you need to change that to WTI. Yes, probably.
Brendan Eich: Yeah. It's a self-serve system. We're going to try to decentralize it through in a TS, but they did verify. I think we have no other relationship with them on, on having an account with them or any assets with them. And I'm glad to say that because a lot of people are in big trouble now, unfortunately. And it's a real hit to crypto.
Travis Wright: Yeah. So there's no solutions for you. Okay.
Brendan Eich: Right.
Travis Wright: I want to ask about advertising, cause I know some people say, well, wait a second, so Brave doesn't know anything really about me. How can they, you know, show me ads that are relevant to me? Because here I am when I'm on Instagram, I for one minute I buy way too much shit on Instagram ads because it's like it knows me, right? And I'm like, Oh, hell yeah. I need this freaking whistle thing. There's it helps relieve the stress about this. I appreciate Instagram. Right? So how does Brave give people relevant ads to products or services that they need when you don't know anything about it?
Brendan Eich: Good question. So when you think about the way ad Tech works on Instagram or Facebook or Google, they're collecting all this data about everybody and they can put it in a big database and they can do studies and regressions and say, Hey, this person looks like that person. That person bought a car, This person might buy a car. Let's show them a car. That's powerful, but a lot of it is spammy. They guess wrong about you. They show you ads that you don't like or they hammer you with the same ad over and over. That's called retargeting. What we do doesn't collect any data. We don't want to be a mini Google. Then we'd have a hard time convincing anybody to trust us, even if we did share revenue. So we make the matching happen not in the cloud but on your device. And the way to do that is not to have all the ads on your device because they're big and they're video or web pages. We send links to those ads with keywords next to them. One Perot in a catalog, and this catalog updates a couple of times a day. And it's not that big. This doesn't use up your data plan. This is kind of like what browsers do to keep track of malware and phishing threats with, say, browsing lists or our own filter rule lists for the rape shield. We update these these data files. And in the case of rewards, there's a catalog of ads you can get identified by their location, their web address and some keywords. So then the challenges do the matching with local machine learning. Only when you turn on rewards does happen. It's like keeping a separate history and all browsers keep history usually for two weeks with great rewards so longer because your value may extend back 30 days to come and look that period in attack. But the separate history can be cleared by you. It doesn't leak out to us. We don't follow that history. But the local machine learning and the ad agent can then say, Hey, you can look in your car sites. I'm going to pick the row in the catalog that has the car or the making model for that matter keyword that our direct sales team already did a deal for. So we're we're out there doing direct sales and we're working on scaling this up to get more demand partners in, but always with privacy. Instead of surveilling you and pulling your data into our cloud, we push out the offers to the ultimate edge, the browser in your pocket, and that's where the matching happens. And then if you do see the ad, we have to confirm that. But that's where that blind signature cryptography I mentioned comes in in the future. Zero knowledge proof. So there are great tools in the cryptographic tool kit. They've been developed since the nineties and they're especially being used in blockchain projects for keeping you anonymous, keeping your identity unbreakable from the particular things you viewed. So all we have to do is get honest counting of the views for an ad to show the ad buyer that the ad performed. They don't need to know about you. They might like to because a lot of little nosy that way. We don't have that information in our servers. We don't want them to have it. We don't need them to have it. And if the outperforms, then they should be happy with what they bought and that's where we share the revenue with you.
Joel Comm: Brendan What do you think the number is of active users that would put you on Google's radar and go, Oh, this is a threat?
Brendan Eich: Yeah, Google knows about us. But I think when Firefox was still, you know, plausibly saying they have like 450 million monthly active users when it was kind of a fragile number. Same reason ours is it was falling and the monthly active user is somebody who use you once a month or more. Well, some users will use you every day but Sunday. And that's a really valuable use that's almost daily at. Whereas other monthly active users just start their Windows PC at home and it fires up. Popups are brave from the system tray, but they hardly touch it. That's not a valuable user. So monthly active users is a tricky number and it's not really well defined. But if you get into the hundreds of millions, you're on Google's radar. You get 60 million around there like we have. You're on Google's radar.
Joel Comm: So how do we you know, this next step is just going to be the question that, you know, is in your on your mind is you're going to sleep every night is how do we get to, you know, 100 million, 250 million, you know, a billion? How do you attain that?
Brendan Eich: Yeah, I do. I do think about the slot because at some point you're up against the device makers and they tend to put Chrome in there on the Android OS as the default. Even though they've been spanked by the European Competitive Practices Regulator for doing that, that they're not supposed to force Chrome is the default. And in the US there's been similar concern on iOS. On the iPhone iPad it used to be only Safari could be the default browser iOS 14 a couple of summers ago. Change. This was good because a lot of users want readability and finally we could do it. I think it happened in part because of competition. I think it happened also due to some, let's say, moral pressure, not the politicians or all that moral, but much of Congress people on antitrust Committee sent a letter to Tim Cook, and in that letter they said you should allow users to make a different browser or mail app be the default. And by the way, Brave's policy guy helped draft that letter. So there's a mix of policy and competition and finding the right partners that we can use to grow and to get a bit more fair play playing field. And that's on my mind as we get bigger, because the bigger you get, the harder it is to get on to the phones. To replace Chrome, you have to find partners who will help distribute you or offset the distribution cost. This is this is true, especially now. It was even true back in the Firefox days. The hooks grew organically very big before Chrome finally, I think in 2011 started to pick. And by the way, Google has to pay for distribution, too, because on Windows, as you know, edges is equal to Microsoft. Mm hmm. So Google's in there distributing Chrome, somehow advertising, doing some sketchy deals to push it onto your hard disk.
Travis Wright: Hmm. So let me ask you this then. So. So what do you think is is next? What's what excites you the most kind of moving forward with Bray? Because, you know, you've been here since the very beginning. We're moving into Web three, and you're the one that's helping, you know, in a lot of ways, help content creators, own their own content. So you're kind of the Web three browser in my mind, right? Joel's my Angel. Joe's a big fan of Brave. He uses it everywhere and yells at me when I'm not using it. And I'm like, Oh yeah, I need to get back on that. What am I doing? And so it's like, what? What are some of those things that excites you the most about where you're going?
Brendan Eich: Yeah, I think we are aspiring to be the web browser. Nobody knows what free means exactly, but the best way to predict the future is to invent it, like Alan Xerox Park fame said. And the general notions around it are solid. They're self-custody. Self-sovereign identity, user sovereignty. Being able to go direct on a blockchain, be able to use Ipfs, for instance, for data storage without any concern that someone out there is going to censor you or some nation state is going to do something dear to you. We also have Tor built in the desktop frame that I mentioned that Tor private Windows for network privacy. What excites me about Web3 is that I think crypto gets to go social and it needs to, right? If crypto is just a bunch of hex addresses and signing transactions and it's kind of low level and sort of complex. It's like the internet before the web browser, before Mosaic, let's say. It's like the old command line I used in the eighties and, you know, email was around then, so it's kind of familiar, but using it, we kind of miss the quality of that. But a lot of that stuff like Telnet and FTP kind of died for most people. And that's, I think what needs to happen with crypto. And it's not to die, but to be abstract and simplify it so you can do what looks more like an app interaction or compound transaction or meta transaction instead of doing these little detailed signing and confirming transactions with hex addresses and using people and trusted identities, pseudonyms as well as real names to interact with people and build up reputation is going to be super important, I think. It shouldn't belong only to Twitter. Sorry, it shouldn't belong only to Facebook. This has to be something that's decentralized and it's it's hard to decentralize, right? My my best idea right now is that you actually don't want to try to compete with Twitter. I don't want to do a brave Twitter. I want to do a front end in brave. This aggregates social and then lets you re aggregate it sort of like that news, brave news I mentioned where the RSS feeds can be matched against your interests locally. So I want my Twitter friends. If they moved to Mastodon, I want to keep track them through my private address book, which I have for my Mac OS and iOS. I want to even resurrect them on a thread where they seem to have disappeared because they left Twitter. I got kicked off Twitter. I can find them. I can superimpose comments from different sources. In some ways you can imagine YouTube becomes just as video hosting. If it weren't for this social aspect where people comment and that could be lifted out of YouTube and into the browser and the comments can be stored in IP address or even on your Dropbox or iCloud because they aren't that big. The personal Twitter Twitter posts they do even with images, is less space than my home pictures, videos of my kids. So there's something to be said for user first that uses all the tools. It uses your private cloud, it uses gifs, which is not a blockchain, but it is a peer to peer network. It uses blockchains, it uses the browser storage, it uses the browser's ability to compose and decompose or aggregates content.
Joel Comm: Well. Well, I'm I'm going to preach at everybody and say, if you're still using Chrome, you don't need to. It's a it's a real easy switch gang to export your bookmarks and then bring them into brave. Go to brave dot com. You can download it right here and you're you're a hero Brandon so much so that when we did blockchain heroes all those many years ago. I've got to show you this one of the heroes was inspired by you. His name was Courage. And he's he's got some good eyes on this guy here. I mean, he's like all muscle.
Brendan Eich: He didn't skip leg day?
Joel Comm: No. Ha ha ha ha ha. Not at all. Well, did we?
Travis Wright: We appreciate you colors a serious packs here, by the way. I want to say I admire that. How swole you are over there. Courage.
Brendan Eich: I used to whip, though I wasn't eating as right as I came to be later in life. Now I eat too old for.
Travis Wright: It's good for you. It's easy to do. We really appreciate it, brother. Thank you so much.
Brendan Eich: Thank you for having me. A lot of fun.
Joel Comm: Always great to talk to you. The movers and shakers of the technology space want one another to speak to Brendan. He's also a real down to earth, humble dude, in spite of all of his massive accomplishments.
Travis Wright: I loved it. I like to have him on again. This dude's killing it. And I love how you mentioned him. I love how he's like, Oh, my God. People are using the image and they're using JavaScript to track people. I've got to unravel this. Sounds like he literally stopped in in and said, I got to make this right. And then he worked on a solution. A lot of times people what they would do is, Oh, look at how much money we can make. Now with online advertising. I want to become a big trillionaire. And but instead he said, No, let's give this money back to the people. Let's build a better solution, and we're going to do it together. And to me, like this, dude, this is what I have here in my book. Yup. I can't see. That's like I just raised my heart.
Joel Comm: It's like it's way up there is erases the video screen.
Travis Wright: It's off. You know.
Joel Comm: I can smell what's coming out from under your ear. No, no, no.
Travis Wright: I took a shower today.
Joel Comm: We don't. Proof of that.
Travis Wright: I put off a shower post.
Joel Comm: Sherpa dirt.
Brendan Eich: Bus back to.
Travis Wright: Turkey.
Joel Comm: So time is running out to get your bad crypto nifty club membership if you want the Brad Mill's NFT. Hopefully you heard that Episode number 651 that was released here just a few days ago and and got your big crypto NFT membership card. This is the NFT that we're getting ready to release. Of course, you can't hear it right now, but it is a two minute video NFT. It is a bonus. Add on to the episode exclusively for those of you in the Bad Crypto Nifty Club, you're going to get this airdropped to you for free. How do you get it? Well, real easy. You need to go to the bad crypto podcast site on Uncut Dot FM. It's bad crypto dot, Uncut dot FM and then you're going to go into the the NFTS. And I believe right down here at the bottom, that's the one you want. You want the bad crypto nifty club .002 wrapped. That's all it is. You could pay with ether. You can even pay with a credit card if you want. Once you've got this, you're in the club and the free airdrops that we send go to people who are holding these. So what's your excuse? Go get it there. Rare. It says so right here on the screen. I love.
Travis Wright: It. So you can check it out. Hey, what about this? We haven't talked about doing an NFT for. For Brendan Eich. What if we take the blockchain heroes and make a brand new version of it and create a new courage only for the uncut folks?
Joel Comm: Just just on Polygon? I like that. I like that. Now, you got two reasons to get your bad crypto nifty club membership. We're going to create another variation of courage Blockchain hero and it will be airdrop. This will be our first. Will this be the first polygon? No. We worked with Limp and did a few exclusive variations on their platform, but this will be the first one for the bank. Crypto nifty one.
Travis Wright: Yeah. And then all those 60 million people over on Braid better get one because, well, all 60 million couldn't because there's not that many of those bad crypto clubs available. But thanks for tuning in. I'm really glad you tuned in. And you know, Brendan is amazing. I'm really pleased that we had to have something hacked.
Joel Comm: Absolutely. And we appreciate you guys. Thanks for bearing with us. Your favorite defi defi, your sherpa in Dafa. I like that. I like those names. Make sure you go review five stars is preferred. And we also we have a bunch of voicemails that we're going to be playing for you or maybe we played on the last episode of Remember When We Use Them because we recorded this interview before Monday's news shows. We want the news to be current in a we're out of order so that we can be in order. And if that makes any sense to you that you are already following our instructions.
Travis Wright: Who's bad?
Joel Comm: The Bad Crypto podcast is a production of Bad Crypto LLC. The content of the show, the videos and the website is provided for educational, informational and entertainment purposes only. It's not intended to be and does not constitute financial investment or trading advice of any kind. You shouldn't make any decisions as to finances, investing, trading or anything else based on this information without undertaking independent due diligence in consultation with a professional financial advisor. Please understand that the trading of Bitcoins and alternative cryptocurrencies have potential risks involved. Anyone wishing to invest in any of the currencies or tokens mentioned on this podcast should first seek their own independent professional financial advisor.