Speaker 1: Yes, good morning. I hope you're going well wherever you are. If you're listening to us on the app, good morning to the six PR app. Where as Richie ben I used to say the APP, I hope you're having a good day wherever you are. We're here until one o'clock today and we're a talkback radio station and a talkback program. The phone lines are well and truly open one double three, eight to eighty two. Thanks to Mills and Karl and team for The Bricky Show today. A bit of breaking news for you, if I may, that the City of Perth are picking up the purple scooters as we speak. The City of Perth are driving around in trucks and they're picking up the scooters as we speak. We believe the decision was made last night to pull the Escooter Higher program. The purple scooters are being loaded on trucks as we speak and are being removed. The decision was made last night. We understand that the contractor that supplies the scooters is Beam b E a M. And they're picking up the e scooters as we speak. So on the back of the fatality last Saturday night, we're allegedly a twenty four just turned twenty five year old english woman, a tourist knocked over a fellow on the corner of King and Murray and he passed away after hitting his head. The east scooters are being picked up. So we spoke about this yesterday on the program and we speculated yesterday that this might potentially happen given the I guess the criteria, the regulations around hiring a scooter. They're pretty lax and you can get on and you don't get breath lies when you get on one. You don't you have to take a picture of yourself putting a helmet on, but you don't necessarily need to wear them. So this has ramifications for the high scooter kaper. What if City of Perth are removing their higher scooters they're being scooters? What will city the Sterling do? What will Bustleton do, What will Rockingham do? Albony Bumbrey, Espirants, Geraldton and the like. This incident in the city last Saturday has implications for all of the local government areas. We're want to talk to Bruce Reynolds, the Perth Deputy Lord Mayor about this in just a moment on the program, but we can tell you here. As of ten nine past nine, the City of Perth trucks are picking up the purple scooters and taking them away. Now we've got a big rank of the purple scooters out the front of six PR at one sixty nine Hay Street. They're still out there, but we do have a vision of the trucks getting around and picking up the scooters. So we'll cover that in just a moment on the program. I do have a yes no question for you which will bring you in just a moment. This website, this pet registration website, so like it's a ten million dollar contract and it seems to have just disappeared. So this is so that all the local government councils can talk to each other in terms of pet, dog and cat registration and sterilizations at the like. It obviously ties in the vet rooms around the place as well, but it seems to have fallen over and disappeared without a trace, So we'll look at that in a sect. As you know, I'm from a local government background. I'm always happy to defend councils, pretty hard to defend a number of our metro councils on them out of money. They've been spending with their credit cards on food and entertainment. We'll talk to Caroline Spencer, the all powerful, Formidable Order to General in just a moment on the program. I've got a yes no question for you.
Speaker 2: Right, let's clear this up once and for all.
Speaker 1: Given what we saw yesterday and what we heard yesterday, are you worried that the courts are handing out light sentences? Yes? Or no? Are you worried that the courts are handing out light sentences? We heard yesterday are during the middle of our show that three years and two months is the sentence for the miner that crashed the car and killed Daniel and Bianca Campo's son Nick a couple of years ago. Three years and two months, so he'll this miner could potentially be out. He served six months already, he could be potentially about walking around free when he's only nineteen years of age. So now this was heard in the children's court, given the defendants age, and the President Hilton Quail ultimately passed the sentence. We are going to talk to John Hammond, the esteemed defense lawyer, about the process behind the sentencing. What John thinks about it. We've seen an early please We've seen remorse, we've seen surrendering bail and good legal work can significantly reduce sentences. So the proper judicial process has been applied. I wonder what you think. Are you worried that the courts are handing out light sentences? One zero, four, eight seven, trip nine eight eighty two is the is the number if you'd like to get in touch with us. This was Bianke Campo outside court yesterday.
Speaker 3: We are as a family quite disappointed with the sentence. We don't feel that it was enough and I really don't think it's set. It's a very good example for young people. Nothing of no sentence, obviously will bring our knit back. It's something that we have to live with every day for the rest of our lives. We've been quite broken.
Speaker 4: By that.
Speaker 3: Nick was a really good kid and he was very much loved by all of us. I just don't know what else to say. Just I just I know other families are going to go through this at some you know, in the future, we're not the only ones. But please, just please just make sure your kids, you know, they overdo the right thing when they get into cars, because this is like a pain that it's unbearable. It really is, and it's something that no one could understand until you've actually had to live it.
Speaker 2: And I really feel for people who have to go through this.
Speaker 1: Pian Campo yesterday outsaw, gut wrenching, isn't it? Can't imagine or couldn't imagine anything worse? Could you? So this has has had a ripple effect for all concerned, for that community of young people, young young guys, young girls, and it's thinking about it today, I think it's the sentence that is causing even more consternation, anxiety and grief. So yes, the grieving process is reunited for everybody. And you can hear the hear the emotion in Bianker Campo's voice. There is the are you concerned about light sentences? Yes or no? You've got at this stage. We've got probably about half a dozen yeses and no nos at the moment. And then let us know why and if you can cite any examples one double three, ay two.
Speaker 5: Good a Chris, Yeah, Simon, you're mentioning the purple beams goo goods.
Speaker 1: Yep.
Speaker 5: Five minutes ago, I was just up in the street, just past you, the other side of it, out street, and there was a truck loading up all your orange neuron ones.
Speaker 1: Okay, so the orange orange ones are going to Chris. I just your phone dropped out, did you say Hay.
Speaker 5: Street, Yeah, Hay Street just up for you over the other side of Bennet Street there.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 1: So that's the orange ones and the purple ones as well. Hey, Chris, that's across the board.
Speaker 5: Getting rid of a lot, thank god.
Speaker 1: Yeah, all right, cheers Chris, Thank you mate, Thanks for reporting in. If you do see anything you think your fellow six VUR listeners would be interested in, give us a call one double three eight to eighty two. The Bruce Reynolds is the Deputy Lord Mayor of the City of Perth and joins you now, Bruce, thanks for your time. Mary Simon, Yeah, I'm well, thank you. Is that the case Orange and purples there going on trucks as we speak?
Speaker 6: Yeah, correct, mate, Both both service providers have been suspended while we go through this phase of assisting with the authorities with all the collection of data and providing of all information that we can to assist in the ongoing investigation.
Speaker 7: Investigation.
Speaker 1: So, Bruce, did you meet last night, did have a special meeting with counsel on this and obviously it comes off the back of what happened last Saturday.
Speaker 6: Yeah, correct, So as you can imagine, since Saturday through till Tuesday afternoon, when the information came through around the actual fatality, we've had to act in a responsible and respectful manner. So we called a special meeting where the counselors were able to come together. Information was provided to US Fire administration and the decision was made to suspend the scooters whilst we go through this phase of assisting with the authorities in the investigation.
Speaker 1: So suspended at this stage, but not necessarily a permanent Did you give any thoughts to somehow trying to police the use of scooters better or is it just easier at this stage to take them take them off the road.
Speaker 6: At this stage, certainly, to be respectful to the families involved, we think that there's more, more and more an absolute appropriate measure and and then we'll go. You know, we are fully committed to assisting with the investigation. Once we've collected all the data, the next phase of decision making will obviously come into play.
Speaker 1: We need to get this right, Bruce. What happens with the contract? Is there any not sunset clauses the wrong word. But is there any clause where you can suspend supply because Beam are in all those other major senses that I mentioned, you know, not Calgol anymore, but Bustled and Bumbrie, Rockingham, Albany and the Lie. Pretty much everyone uses Beam and I already imagine they'll be watching what you guys do fairly seriously. But how does the how does the pulling of the contract work?
Speaker 6: Yeah, so there is without having the contract in front of me, there are clauses in the contract around suspension, and an incident of this of this type would obviously be be one of those one of those clauses.
Speaker 1: All right, all right, Bruce, Well thanks for talking to us. Is it just a one day operation to get rid of them? And how many purple ones and how many orange ones are there?
Speaker 6: Off the top of your head, Yeah, there's around two hundred and fifty of each, so five hundred in total. The notification has obviously been sent out, and as your caller mentioned, of their scooter companies are already in an collection of those scooters.
Speaker 7: So yeah, so that's that's where that is.
Speaker 6: We've imagined, so that it's probably going to be forty eight hours before they're all collected off the streets, but from twelve o'clock they will be disabled, so even the ones that are on the streets they won't be used. But also, you know, mate, this is a tragedy at all levels. So so our thoughts go out to everyone associated with the families and especially the fun the farm family, and they're extended family and friends.
Speaker 7: It's a it's a tragedy.
Speaker 1: Yeah it is, Bruce, thank you very much for talking to us. Really appreciate your time.
Speaker 7: Thank you, Simon.
Speaker 1: See mate, Bruce Reynolds the Deputy Lord Mayor of the City of Perth. So that's a quick action. I think it was arrived at last night. So it's actually the scooter company, not the City of per trucks that are picking them up. The Purple Ones and the Orange Ones two separate companies, I think. Chris said Neuron is the name of the company that supplies the Orange Ones. Well, I don't know that for sure. I know the Purple Ones are Beam. I'm pretty sure this has ramifications for EA scooters across the state, doesn't it. Gero's got em, Bumbery's got the Frio's got them. Just about all the big cities that involve tourism. You know, it seemed like a good idea at the time, didn't it. And it's taken one one fairly serious fatality in the city involving and you know she'll have her day in court, so we'll hear some more details there. But allegedly involved alcohol, Allegedly involved a day drinking at the pub, doing excessive speed on a footpath. Allegedly all of that will come out. So Neuron Mobility and Beam are the two companies what I reckon listeners nineteen minutes past nine. We're asking the question today as well is sentencing. Are you concerned about sentencing in general given what we heard yesterday with the sentencing of the young driver, the minor involved in the death of Nick Campo. The yes is eleven and the nose zero. We're going to speak to John Hammond in just a moment about the sentencing, the process of the sentencing from the court case yesterday in the children's court. Stay listening, Thanks for your thoughts. And we have had some visions sent to us and some photos sent to us of a ferry sinking in a Bali yesterday, which involves some Western Australians and some West Astralian families and kids. So it's off nus Lomboggan and it involves a very near a place called Mushroom Bay. So we are trying to talk to From what we can see, there have been no injuries or fatalities. That's our early mail. But there was a ferry turnover and sink yesterday in oft Loose Nusi Lomboggan in Mushroom Basse, So try and bring you some more details of that in just a moment. What do you think, folks the East scooters are off the street in Perth are being picked up by the companies in just just as we speak, rayces scooter. How's a good idea? At the time, other cities were ditching them as Perth was introducing them. More like a lapse in due diligence to me, Ray, you could be right. That's just my thoughts. I thought, hey, wow, you can hire a scooter does twenty k's now down at Scarborough and go for spin. Never ever thought it would result in a fatality. Ray, I've got to be honest. So that's my thoughts, Ray, not necessarily anybody else's. Thanks for weighing in ray. Good on you. We are taking your thoughts today. Is the Are you concerned with sentencing in general, given that we saw with the sentencing yesterday over the miner that crashed a car that resulted in the death of Nick Campo. John Hammond is a criminal lawyer, joins us now today, John, Hi, John, can you hear me?
Speaker 8: Yes?
Speaker 9: Can you hear me?
Speaker 1: Yeah? Got you mate? You thanks for talking to us today. So I wouldn't mind asking about the about the process betime the sentencing, bearing in mind this is was in the Children's Court, a very high profile case early please remorse surrendering bail and I guess some good legal work, John. But that's how the system works, isn't it.
Speaker 8: It is how the system works. But I would ask people to hold the faith if I can say that, because I believe, with a great respect to the Children's Court President Hilton Quayle, that he actually he got the decision right. This young bloke seventeen's going to go to jail for three years and two months. And when that sentence was passed, the Children's Court President took into account everything that happened on that night and all the families that were involved and the circumstances of the crash. Now, I think it's important to bear in mind that all of the people in that car, according to witnesses, were amped up, They were speeding, they were told what one passenger told the driver who's now going to jail, to gun it all the way to the nightclub. Now, I think everyone that was in that car has got to take responsibility for what happened, not just the driver.
Speaker 1: Mm hmm. So yeah, okay, And it's you, you've you've been you know in court. With these situations, you're evolving young people in families. John, The ripple effect is is massive, isn't it.
Speaker 8: The the it is, it is, it's it's and it's horrendous. Look, I feel really badly for the parents of Nick Campo. To see someone so young get, you know, get killed in these circumstances is just appalling. But Simon, it's all part of a culture, I think too. And it seems to be money prevalent in young men who think that they are indestructible. When they get behind a wheel and they get excited, they all get together and they're racing off to a nightclub. Well, and they're egging each other on Simon. That's the point. He was being urged to go faster. So the blame lies fairly and squarely on all of those who were in the car from a moral point of view.
Speaker 1: All right, So as far as the system goes, John, and you are a man of an experienced lawyer but also a man of humanity. You think Hilton Quail has looked at all the mitigating circumstances, what happened on the night, and what was in front of him, and the legal work, and that is the right sentence.
Speaker 8: I think it's right, Yes, with great respect to the President. But the second thing I think it's really important is that the President noted the remorse shown by the PA plate driver. Hey, Janiet, the President believed that the PA plate driver was really sorry about what had happened. And look, I I defy any young bloke in the community to put the hand up and say I've never done anything stupid behind the wheel. When I was seven, nineteen twenty, that might be one or two putting their hand up and saying I've done something stupid.
Speaker 1: Oh yeah, and I'd put myself in that category. John, So I'll stick my hand up, John, thank you. Can I one final one, and I'm pressing a bit here. Is is showing remorse a legal tactic or a characteristic of a person?
Speaker 8: I don't like to see it as a legal tactic. The judges and magistrates are various working out whether someone is generally sorry for what they've done.
Speaker 1: Yeah, all right.
Speaker 8: They rely on psychiatric ports the work, so it's not easy to just stand up there and say it. That's not enough. You've got to demonstrate a whole lot more.
Speaker 1: Yeah, all right, John, thanks for talking to us today.
Speaker 8: Yeah, thanks, Simon.
Speaker 1: Cheers. John Hammond, criminal lawyer, defense lawyer. So John, we'll put John in the in the one in the no columnies. Are you concerned with sentencing being too lean in this particular case? Said? Nose are two including John's, and yeses are nineteen. So I'll get to some of your correspondents right now.
Speaker 2: Terry.
Speaker 1: Gooday, Terry, Yes, sentence is a way too lean. And please remember a large number of judges are formal criminal defense lawyers. So what else do you expect? Not a bad point, Terry, This one here from Paris Parry. It's a yes from me. I believe there should be a sentence handed down to none of this parole. So if you get out ten years, Joe, you do the ten years, not adding five. Just a thought, thanks Paris. What is incarceration about. It's about punishment, rehabilitation and removing danger from society. One double three eight two is the is the phone number today? On scooters? John raised an interesting point, Get a John, what a nanny state we are? How many trips that have helped people get around on these high scooters? We get one bad accident, we get a knee jerk reaction. How many accents have they been with drunk drivers in higher cars that no one wants to ban them? Says John? John. Thank you, that's a really interesting one. And Bruce Reynolds was pretty upfront. He said it's also out of respect to a grieving family. He said that I think three times, Bruce, So that's obviously a factor for them. For the city of Perth, the scooters have been removed. I mean the other one, John on this is me being a little cynical. The councilors might not be able to face the potential compensation costs and insurance costs. So and a lot of our listeners have pointed out that Albany has withdrawn its high scooters. So thanks to John and others who've let us know about that. But that's what happens now in the city of Stirling. What does Mark Erwin do, What does deb Hamlin do in Rockingham? What does Phil Crohen do in Bustleton? What does the Geraldton mayor do? What do they do with I think how goolies pulled their highest scooters as well, so you know they make a bit of dough for the councils and they see as I said earlier, and this is genuine, it seemed like a nice idea. Get on a scooter, goarden down Riverside Drive, garden down West Coast Highway, Scarborough, have a little roll along the foreshore and Rockingham. But now we've had a fatality allegedly involving heavy drinking. So the City of Perth for picking up the scooters as we as we speak, but up to hear from you, I'm Simon Beaumont. Are you concerned with light sentencing the yester twenty five and the nose of four back in a moment.
Speaker 10: Still dealing with a crash in Morley Tonkin Highways southbound the entry from Morley Drive that left emergency lane remains blocked with toys on site and the crash Bennett Springs Tonkin Southbound Read Highway down to a single lane incident response joining Toey's and a police on site. Make sure you plan ahead to avoid heavy delays in the area. I'm Rob beaver on Pertz, Traffic Leader six PR.
Speaker 1: Yeah, thanks for listening in Today we are asking the question do you think are you concerned about senencing in general? Out of the WA judicial system the Children's Court district magistrates caught all of that. Given what we saw yesterday with the sentencing over the miner that crashed his vehic and which resulted in the death of young Nick Campo, the yeses are thirty one and the nose are six. Shane says he's a no. I agree hundred percent with everything. John Hammond just said. Sentence was in line with all the details from events leading up to that most fatal moment and the young man lost his best mate Judu's driving. He admitted guilt and even denied his own bail. Thank you, Sean. I appreciate that. Patrick says a virus a mess. It won't say the sentence in post and the driver and the Nick Campo case was too leaning, as I might get too philosophical. However, I think the judicial system is generally pathetic. I cite the case of the thug the walk free after assaulting a cop outside Opter stadium makes my blood boil. And quite a few people are now pushing this argument into the notion of privately owned scooters, the ones where we've seen four fatalities this year already. And these things do zoom around on our roads and on our cycle ways, and they are often adjusted so they can go even faster. But this has ramifications this decision. As I sit here talking to you, the City Perth have asked the scooter companies to pick up the orange Neuron scooters and the purple beamscooters. I think I've got the color schemes right there. And of course this is has ramifications for other councils that run high scooters. What about this story? Hasty has a story in WA Today on the website WA Today. As you know, the new legislation around puppy farming laws came into effect last week whereby you can't buy a pet from a pet shop unless it's a rescue pet a rescue dog, and you need to buy from a registered dealer, so that has significantly changed the landscape. In addition to which part of this legislation meant that the one hundred and thirty nine West Australian Councils could be part of a registration system where dogs and cats could be registered, their sterilization status could be registered, and this was all part of the new laws coming in. Now it looks like the nine point eight million dollar contract to build software for that centralized pet registration website has fallen over. It seems to have disappeared altogether. Currely war is the opposition spokesook person for Local government. Get a curly Simon Beaumont.
Speaker 11: How are you good morning, Simon?
Speaker 1: What's happened here? Do you think?
Speaker 12: Well?
Speaker 13: Last week the Minister did stand in Parliament and made the announcement that the contract for the nine point eight million dollar central registration system that underpins the puppy farming legislation was basically torn up and there has been no indication of a clear pathway forward as to when a new contract may be issued. And we have to remember this system underpins the legislation. So our question is how much of taxpayers money has already been spent and when can we when can we look forward to seeing a new contract being issued to ensure that this particular system becomes a reality, because local governments have been waiting a number of years for this to come into play.
Speaker 1: Yeah, so, as you say, it's the administration part of the whole of the law changes the entirety of them. The company is called Seisma, So Seisma, who developed software, and the government have mutually agreed to cease this. We were able to get more information out of the out of Minister Hannah Beasley, so we had.
Speaker 13: A briefing with Hannah late last week. Most of what that contract contained is commercial in confidence, and I respect that, but it was mutual. Yes, I believe that, and I do also believe that the work that's been done today.
Speaker 14: Won't be lost.
Speaker 13: But that still doesn't give surety to the local governments and that have been anticipating this system coming online for many years.
Speaker 12: This legislation was passed.
Speaker 13: In twenty twenty one, so we're now in twenty twenty five. Local governments have been looking forward to a centralized registration system actually put time and ratepayers money into getting their data ready in their own individual systems to be migrated into this new system and now it's come to a halt and there's no clear pathway forward.
Speaker 1: Holding a curly war Opposition spokesperson for Local Government Matters curely, do you know off the top of your head if we know about the one hundred and thirty nine councils want this and need this to enact the laws properly do veterinary rooms to vet surgeons who also monitor the health status of dogs and cats and also their sterilization status. Did you know if if they're part of this portal, there'd be a number.
Speaker 13: Of stakeholders that would be able to access into this particular portal. That's my understanding, but I guess from a registration point of view, and this is what we're talking about when it comes to puppy farming, making sure that when you go to buy a pet a puppy, that you're buying it from a registered, an accredited breeder or a from an adoption shelter. So those types of organizations would definitely be having access into those into this portal. But at this point there is no portal and we have to we can't forget simon that this government hasn't delivered on other portals. So is this is this another case of that? That's the question. Also, you know we've had debarcers with the firearms portal and the nurses registration portal in the.
Speaker 4: Past, and.
Speaker 13: I guess where are we going with this one? Maybe maybe maybe holding.
Speaker 15: It Yeah, and arguably it's a bit more time to get it right.
Speaker 1: Yeah maybe yeah, and arguably the state election process as well. With Purcell Kelly, Hey, curly, thank you for talking to us today. We will stay on it. And thanks to Hamish Hasty for raising the issue. You're you. You talk on matters of local government and you're a long term local government of yourself. We're talking to Caroline Spencer after ten o'clock. She's got she's the Order to General. There's the amount of money some of these Metro councils are spending on entertainment past the pub test for you.
Speaker 14: Look, I went to.
Speaker 13: The briefing last week on the tabling of that particular report, Simon, and yes I do come from local government. I am a new member for Geraldson, but previous to that was at the Sharp Chapman Valley, both as an elected member and as an officer. So in this current climate, economic climate, any money public person money is under scrutiny and I'm not necessarily sure that this does pass the pub test, and that's what that report says. So best wishes in talking to Carolin.
Speaker 16: I'm sure she can.
Speaker 13: Give you some more insight into her findings around that report.
Speaker 1: It's interesting that it looks like there's been no breach of process, but I haven't heard Caroline talk about the pub test before, so yeah, we'll talk to her after ten o clock. The optics are interesting, Kurly, thank you very much for talking to us today.
Speaker 17: Thanks Simon war.
Speaker 1: Opposition spokesperson for local government. Yes, we'll talk to Caroline Spencer. The West has the story today. We had heard that the report was going to be handed down and there's a number of Perth Metro councils that are spending using credit cards to buy food and drink for functions, events, meetings and the like. It's probably money that is described in budget. We'll talk to Caroline Spencer after ten. I will always stick up for local government, you know that, but hard to stick up for this one. Pretty hard to stick up for this one. It's not a good look. And as Curly agrees with Caroline, Spencer, it's you know, we're in the middle of the cost of living issue. I don't know that it Nessie makes rates go up. This spending and councils will hold functions with community groups, hold meetings, run events. I'll always do that. How much they spend on it. I suppose we'll talk about that after ten o'clock today. It's eighteen minutes to ten. Thanks for your company today. Are you concerned, listeners? Are you concerned our yes no poll today about sentencing? Is it too lenient to give them? What we heard yesterday? Yes, is a forty one. Well we and the nose of nine back in a moment. Thanks for listening. In today we will be speaking to Caroline Spencer, the all powerful, all seeing, formidable order to general after ten today one double three, eight to eighty two. I've heard on this station and in the job that I do, I heard the term woke being thrown around a fair bit, but I've never ever heard it woke being used in reference to a inanimate object, the scooter. Dave says, these scooters are a stupid woke invention. Wow, we Dave. That's a stretch and should be banned. The councilors took them up blindly with no thought of what could go wrong. If you want to save the world, walk or ride a ride a bike. Dave Channel and Carl Langdon there scooters a woke invention. I think they're pretty cool. Scooters are they look? They are very much in the cross here is given the fatality of Saturday night. There's absolutely no doubt about it. We picked it yesterday that these councils will have to make a decision. All of the count Gelton, sorry, Calgooley and Albany have removed the scooters. There are scooters around the world that have been you know, cities around the world that have removed the scooters. I do get that. Yeah, maybe that part of it. You know, who would have thought that someone would get drunk and hop on a scooter and kill someone? I certainly didn't didn't think they went fast enough, But there you go. Andrew from Duncraig's has Hannah Beezley is busy working on the racetrack in her backyard, says Andrew. Thank you, Andrew. Troy from colleague so this pub test is after one pint or ten pints, Thanks Troy. One double three a eighty two Andy from Dianallagada. Andy, so many scooters around the city and local council are unused and a lot they've very dumped at every corner. It's very unsightly. They see how they can be making too much or a profit for the councils and businesses involved. If this tragic incident has provided clause for councils to back out of their contracts, they should think seriously about taking it. Thank you, Andy, appreciate it. Mate. You know there's bike and scooter high places around the joint as well, and I and I guess in those cases you need to hire the scooter off a person, right, so the scooter hiring person will make an assessment as to whether that person doing the hiring is fit and proper and sober. One double three eight at D two. Good day, Chris, Yes, Simon, good morning, How are you good morning? Well? Thanks, yeah, good good.
Speaker 18: I just wasn't exactly my point, but just one thing I did think about. I think I've heard Basil say yesterday about that you have to have a helmet on to where you have to wear the helmet.
Speaker 19: Before you can ride those scooters.
Speaker 18: Yep, one hundred percent don't. I work in the city. I see it around the city all the time. Two ups, no helmets. You look at them and you go, mind if they've got a credit card, you know what I mean, youngish, very younger, younger brigade. But anyway, that wasn't my thought.
Speaker 1: My client, so just very quickly though, I know they are good points you. I think you can, you know, you take the helmet, I out of the thing, and I think in some case you take a photo or present a photo and away you go. But you can take the helmet off. I don't know if you can hire them without without a credit card though, Chris, I'm not sure if you can. I stay corrected if that's the case, but yeah, keep going mate.
Speaker 18: Yeah yeah, So what about insurance?
Speaker 20: As you know, I ride a pushy a lot.
Speaker 18: I'm out here now dodging magpies, although it's not magpie season.
Speaker 20: But they're always about.
Speaker 9: Insurance.
Speaker 18: I've got my own. I don't pay rego, So for all the haters, don't hate me for riding my bike. While I'm riding my bike, I'm not riding my car. But I pay my own insurance premium every year while I'm on my bike. And I'm covered for salary, continuance and any damage that may occur from an incident accident, if I hit someone, I know, if I hit a car or a car hits me, I'm covered. And it doesn't cost a hell of a lot.
Speaker 20: So the private scooters.
Speaker 18: What they don't have to have any I don't.
Speaker 20: Have to have this as a cyclist either, but I choose to because.
Speaker 18: I'm smart, you know, because I'm on the road a lot, just wondering whether it should be a thing.
Speaker 1: Really good, really good point, mate, Thank you. So you need to be over sixteen to ride an e scooter, that's my understanding from what we heard from Darren Sivwright Copper who joined us on Tuesday. Thanks Chris. That yeah, so do And it's a personal choice. Does someone over sixteen through to adulthood who's riding an e scooter say it's properly governed to twenty five k's? Now are you taking out insurance? The notion of whether bike rider should pay a license fee is always alive and kicking. And I'm a cyclist and I don't mind that notion, you know, paying your way for the cycle ways. People who ride bikes generally in the main. There are some bad ones, but generally in the main are doing it for health and fitness reasons as well as commuting reasons and taking traffic off the roads. There's a lot of positives in what cyclists do. Not that not that'ss ever necessarily recognize that, but over the years they seems to different presenters.
Speaker 7: Give Leslie, Hi, Hi, thank you for taking my call.
Speaker 16: I just thought your listeners might be interested. I'm not normally a shopper. I'm very fortunate my lovely husband does all the shopping. But yesterday we went to a wooly store and I found it really difficult to get around. You couldn't get in the eye is, you couldn't get in the freezers. Lots of people were getting a bit angsty about it. And I've found out when I got to the till that they've cut out the nightfill, so they're trying to do it in the daytime to save money, to advertise to tell us you know how much saving that we're actually getting. And I just thought it was incredible that they'd make a decision like that making it difficult for people to shop.
Speaker 1: What woolies are we talking? Leslie?
Speaker 16: A victim the big there's a big one where my husband goes regularly. Anyway, when I got to the till, a beautiful young lady at the till asked her. I said, well, what the heck's going on? She said, Oh, they've got really mean and they're cutting out the night Ville. And I said, well, what about all the students. She said, don't we about the students? What about us? My husband and myself. He works in the day and we were doing a tag team with the kids so that we didn't have to pay fees for childcare, and then I'd come in and do the nightfill at night. And that's how we got through, you know, half times with the mortgage and you know.
Speaker 2: Really yeah, yeah, I Lezzlie. At first, the world done. I'm not having to go to the shops. That's a good bit of set up from you. We'll see what our listeners think, Leslie. I haven't noticed it. I go to Wool's quite a bit. I've got one near me, thanks, Leslie. Is that the case Woolies people, Wooly shoppers?
Speaker 1: Is there stuff being left in the aisles on palletts because the night Fields disappeared? I see the Nightfield guys all the time and around. If you know, if you go to the shops late at nine o'clock and when I go to is in Warwick and the nightfield dudes start coming out before the shops close and there's a heap of them. But have you noticed that or is it just because Leslie hasn't been to this shop for a while? And a statement that can be attributed to Neurons. So Neuron Mobility they run some of the scooters in the city of Perth, Beam run the others. Beam runs scooters right through wa So let's just to be clear. These are higher scooters that local governments hire out on their patch. This is completely separate to privately owned scooters. Can be attributed to a Neuron spokesperson. We respect the City of perse decision to temporarily suspend the East Cooters service while the investigation into this tragic incident continues. We are working closely with the counciland w Police and our thoughts remain with the deceased family and loved ones during this difficult, incredibly difficult time Neuron goes on. We understand this temporary pause will affect many people who rely on the service to get around the city. And we appreciate their patients. We look forward to resuming safe operations as soon as we are able in close coordination with the city. That's a center a statement that has come out from neuron Mobility. Today. The scooters are being picked up by the scooter companies as we speak in the city of Perth. What will the other councils do? Get a bill?
Speaker 21: How are you good morning, Bowie, I'm pretty good mate yourself?
Speaker 1: Okay, well, thank you.
Speaker 21: Just a couple of instants in the news recently, you know, the young fellow that's been sentenced for the death of his friend, and this young tourist that's now in trouble for the manslaughter of alleged manslaughter of the fifty one year old mate that you know. I'm an ex prison office. I was fourteen years I've seen a lot of young guys that have come to jail for numerous offenses similar to these, and you know, in most of the cases the sendencing is very light. You know, there's no truth in sentencing. If they do the right thing, which most of them do, you know, they're out under you know, in half a sentence or less. Sometimes people that say that, you know longer sentences are under deterrent. I can assure you that they are. And you know, to say that a life is worth you know, three years out after half the time or whatever the case may be, really is an insult to the families of those who have lost loved ones. You know, it's something, it needs, something needs to be done. And I'm still a firm believer that if you, if, if if somebody was to get five or six or seven years for something like this, it would have a deterrent effect on other people that may find themselves in those positions.
Speaker 1: All right, mate, Okay, Bill, appreciate your thoughts. Thank you, no worry. Excuse me, Bill phoning in their high cherene.
Speaker 14: Hi phone, just to know it's not just happening in Woolworth. In relation to the night filled people not sort of being there as much as they used to be. The other day, I found myself in coals and it was the same thing. And now that I'm retired, I'm sort of at the shops at different times of day and i find I'm trying to have to get out of the way of the shop of the night, of the people filling the shells. They've got their big tolleys for the stacks of goods and I'm in the way. So it's all about the almighty dollar, I'm afraid.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I guess so, Hey, Cheren, can I ask you? Is it is this? Coal's?
Speaker 2: Is it?
Speaker 1: Ida? Aldi?
Speaker 2: What is it?
Speaker 14: Yeah, it's coles, not so much Aldi. Generally wool is and coals Aldi don't seem Yeah.
Speaker 1: And don't know this Is it because they're selling out of stock during the day and need to replace it during the day or is it that they have done away with night fill?
Speaker 14: Don't get me started on this. All I notice is that they're Yeah, half the shells are empty with all the special stuff are gone because people are really watching their dollars and everyone's struggling with the cost of food. I've never even known what a cost of a liter of milk was until just recently. I just noticed that the shells are empty, weather specials are And what I have noticed in particular, and this is the thing that really irks me, excuse me, I've got a coke frogm my throat is that the biscuits and the lollies have always got two for ones and specials on all the junk food, not the healthy stuff.
Speaker 1: We never get a healthy stay or organic crush tomatoes and never half price? Are they sharing?
Speaker 8: Hey?
Speaker 1: Yeah, Sreen, thank you. I'm up against the clock here, but I take your points so gapping in Cole's as well? Is it listeners because Coles and Willies are selling stock and need to reach plenge during the day or have they done away with Nightville? If you work in the capeart let me know. And lots of correspondence coming in on this. Do you a concerned about sentencing in general general? Given what we saw yesterday? Forty four yeses and nine knows well? We two and a half minutes to ten. Yeah, thanks for your company today here until one o'clock. Still to come on the show. Nick Marouchak talking legal matters from mki Leegal. That's after ten thirty and Mick Collis is in today. We will come back to this notion. Is Nightville our Nightville staff being has that process change so those staff being put to one side and the supermarkets are actually replenishing the shells during the day or is that just because they're selling stuff?
Speaker 2: Thanks for listening. Ten o'clock now what a song?
Speaker 1: Seven minutes past ten o'clock. Hope you are not downhearted today. We are running a POLLAIS concerned about senencing coming out of our judicial systems. The Children's Court yesterday handed down a decision three years than two months for the minor, the young guy who was driving when Nick Campo lost his life. We are being overwhelmed by yeses, the yes of forty six and the nose nine. John Hammond spoke to us and said, look, given what Children's Court President Hilton Quayle had in front of him, this was the right decision, I will say. And this was note that I think by John and by others, and we heard Bianchor Campo from outside the court yesterday. It has an incredible ripple effect on the families, loved ones, the young guys, the young girls were at the party, friends, family, relatives, associates. It has a huge, huge impact when something like this happens. My mind turns back to the fact that we still have four young guys who still get to go to court. These were four blokes speeding along South Street in Murdock ten to nine on a Thursday night, doing in excess for one hundred and seventy k's an hour when they were picked up four cars high performance vehicles, their parents' cars with walkie talkies, seats facing backwards. They were the allegations they were drag racing. They were racing each other. So it is happening, It does happen, and a lot of this comes back to all A lot of our listeners are pointed out maybe parental responsibility. Know more about what your young blokes and young girls are up to, and that's all correct and the other thing that comes out of it. John Hammond raised this point is a lot of young people do take significant risks when they're younger. There's absolutely no doubt about that. I'll put my hand up and say I did, and I don't think there'd be too many of us who didn't. Unless you're a yeah, you've been a minority. I would have thought nine minutes past ten, the yeses are forty six and the nose and nine. On judicial sentencing, we're asking the question one of a couple of our listens of Ringing today to say that what they see in the shops is not terribly pleasing. We do see shells being filled, big palettes, big trolleys, blocking aisles and the like, and staff refilling the shelves as they go Dylan's found in the Dylan Yay Bowie.
Speaker 19: There's no winners in their Nick Campaig death.
Speaker 8: Is there terrible?
Speaker 1: Certainly? Certainly not.
Speaker 19: I made I was up last week and the week before I was up through the north of the state through the Pilburn Gascoyne region and the woolies and coals up there, so the woolies in Canamen, the coals in Karatea, and the woolies in Newman to try and get fresh produce. There was hardly anything there and the stuff that was there was not good, and the shelves were I couldn't believe how empty a lot of the shelves were. I decided when I was Carta to go into the Ida and they seem fine. But yeah, I don't know what's going on. But given that they're coming into peak season up there, there's not a lot of produce there. I don't know whether the trucks are running late or it is, but you know they are. And also in town they are packing the shells during the day. Because I literally walked down aisles with the trolley and gone, well, I've got to go around to the other hold to get to the end of this sole because it can't get through.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, it sounds like it is happening, Dylan.
Speaker 1: Thank you mate, thanks for calling in today. Yes, overrun with correspondence on the text line Vicky, Hi, Vicky. I think those big trolleys and Coals and WILLI is that lady was talking about. He's possibly more online deliveries being done than the shells being filled. Possibly both, But there's a lot of online being done now there is, Vicky, click and collect. Very good point. Dave davids Is on the subject of night fillers at Coals and Willis. I've been to a delivery to both, a delivery delivery to both and confirm these supermarket giants now bringing nightfield stuff around seven to avoid paying penalty rates after midnight. They even give Star three and a half hour shifts. There's no entitlement to a paid break. Thank you, David. We've had a Woolies worker call in says at his Woolies they still do Nightville, but at the fresh convenience product, so that's yogurts cheese meets the delis. They get done during the day. So a lot of people corresponding on this trolley's hogging the aisles. Hi Jeanine, it's not just Nightfille. There's also the home shopping collection trolley's hogging the aisles coles to shove the oisles closer together, put in more fridges for ultra process meals. I haven't noticed that, Jeanine, but thank you for your thoughts. And Jay of Carenbine, Hi j. The penalty rates for Nightville are much higher than day phil yep. Also, instead of getting eight guys for four hours, to get three guys for seven hours in daytime, cost effective for businesses, but lost jobs for students. Thank you, Jake, thanks for your thoughts. A lot coming in on this one. So you know, a combination of more online delivery, more click and collect. So that might be what some of the trolleys are there for. As I say, at my Warrick, at my Woolies which is in Warwick. If you get there at Court to nine and there's people everywhere coming out of that those back rooms, through those slats to replenish the shelves, it might be stored a store too, right, it might differ from storad a store. Thanks for listening. Twelve and a half past ten, Cool Bowie now on one double three.
Speaker 22: Eight eight two.
Speaker 1: Heard a story come through early this morning that there was an innocident of Nus Lombogan yesterday at a place called Mushroom Bay where a boat sank, and it involves some tourists and their families. Andy Wood joins us. Now he's a balley traveler.
Speaker 7: Gooday, Andy, Hey, Simon heio.
Speaker 1: Yeah, good to talk to you. So tell us what happened and when was it.
Speaker 7: So it was around prop the cord past four yesterday afternoon, just one of the standard sort of fast float ferries sort of barking the island. It actually was pretty rough swell. The captain of the boat made decision to sort of come in nose first and get sort of everybody to sort of board up through the nose of the bow of the boat. And these boats at the rear are actually open. The problem with that was as soon as people started sort of swelling on about one hundred odds so people the ways were all crashing through the back and flooding the boat. I think the captain made a decision to go, oh, we're taking on too much water. I need to sort of reverse out of here. But the problem would have been the reversing back into that swell just more came on, and when it got about one hundred meters out, it basically started capsizing and chaos ensued.
Speaker 2: Where were you?
Speaker 7: So I was in the middle of the cabin, standing with my wife and two children, thankfully sort of up towards the front third. My first sort of thought was to get the family sort of onto the bow of the boat, outside the small little hatch on the bow. The problem was one hundred other people had the same idea, and I think the majority of them couldn't swim, so it was causing a fair bit of anxiety and panic amongst people.
Speaker 1: And you're you're md water where you need to swim?
Speaker 2: Are you?
Speaker 9: Yeah?
Speaker 7: So look, I mean it was probably about one hundred meters out, thankfully not in the middle of the channel between the two islands, so you know, there were plenty of smaller boats around that sort of were able to swell in and kind of help rescue people out of the water. But you know, my first thought was, all right, get the wife and kids safety over to one side and then start trying to help people out and sort of pull them out of the water or get them onto other boats in between that. So we got separated from doing that. But look, at the end of the day, everybody got out safe as far as I'm led to believe. So preservation of life absolutely paramount, which is fantastic.
Speaker 1: So you're a Perth bloke, aren't you, Andy?
Speaker 7: I am yea born and raised.
Speaker 23: Yeah.
Speaker 1: So other are there Australians there or was it sort of a where was it? I'm presuming the mostly tourists. Where were they from?
Speaker 22: Yeah?
Speaker 7: Look, so majority, I think we're sort of subcontinent, you know, Southeast Asia, sort of India, Bangladesh. That sort many could not swim, I'd say the vast majority. That was probably only about a dozen of us, the Aussies, you know, and it was just you know, people who weren't sort of used to being familiar in water. And you know, from my perspective, once we were out of the cabin of the boat, I knew that even my kids, they've been swimming since it's sort of six months old, we'd be all right, yeah we're snorkeled off short and other.
Speaker 1: Times how old are your kids?
Speaker 7: So fourteen and my son's twelve.
Speaker 1: Okay, so there's sort of reasonably reasonably grown up and reasonably strong that could have gone horribly wrong for a lot of people.
Speaker 7: Andy, Yeah, look, it really could have, just because of the one point of exit was literally a small little hatch. I think the people picked it up the back where the water was coming in were real panic states, so people smashing the windows to try and get out on the sides and stuff. But it was, Yeah, it's pretty hairy for a few minutes. But I think sort of once some of the other boats came around to try and help with the rescue and people sort of making their way out, it was a bit easier. But I think particularly for those that couldn't swim, they probably could be fairly traumatized for the incident, I would think.
Speaker 1: So talking to Andy Wood, who was in Bali yesterday at Mushroom Bay when a ferry started sinking and capsizing, andie, were you going somewhere permanently? In other words, did you and others have luggage with you?
Speaker 7: We did, Yeah, So that all ended up sort of floating out in the ocean. They managed to bring our cases sort of back in fully water lobs. Of course, you know, all the bags and that that we had, they were all sort of soaked through, you know, electronic devices, all kind of fried, except the phones thankfully in your models or water resistant yep, yep. And the boat, mate, I'm sort of sitting on the beach right now looking at it five meters off shore. So they tried to tow it out, you know, basically back to the port and Similla yesterday evening, but couldn't get it over the reef, so they kind of abandoned that, and it's just literally floated back in upside down and just sort of hanging about. I've got no idea how I'll get it out.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, wow. He Sometimes in Bali, those things just get left done. Andy, that's it too bad?
Speaker 7: Yeah, it's yeah. I don't know if they'll allow that sort of a couple of the local police sort of walking around this morning and heading up towards the ferry company office, so I think they'll be asking questions about it pretty shortly.
Speaker 6: Yeah.
Speaker 1: Taz, who works with us here, has just handed me her phone. It's got the photograph of the boat on it, and you're right, it's close to shore, but it looks like it's lashed to some rocks, so they're trying to keep it there, it would seem.
Speaker 7: Yeah, I think so it's I think it's about damage minimization at the moment.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, maybe, I'm glad you're okay, Glad the kids are okay, And it's a it's a little bit of a miracle if you can have little miracles. It's a little miracle that no one perished.
Speaker 14: Yeah.
Speaker 7: Absolutely, And you know, I've got a still massive shout out actually for the guys over at Ballei High Cruisers and High Tide Resort who have been absolutely phenomenal and sort of taking care of us post event. You know, it wasn't there wasn't their company, but they've really stepped up to help us out, which is greatly appreciated, great Perth company.
Speaker 1: Absolutely, Yeah, for sure, Thanks Andy, thanks to to us. Glad you're safe, Glad everyone's okay. Yeah, so thanks Amy, cheers mate, Andy, would Barley traveler. Thanks to Taz for the photo that could have gone terribly terribly wrong. There is an outlying reef, so the waves come through this well come through there does come through. One hundred people on board, most of them couldn't swim. How's that It is a nineteen minutes past ten o'clock. If you like to phone in that you can Jerry, stay there, mate, I'll get to you in just a moment. The order to general Caroline Spencer has run the ruler her ruler under local government spending on fine dining, or what she's describing as fine dining. No, no actual transgressions or breaches of process, but in Caroline's opinion, doesn't pass the pub test. Stay listening, Yeah, thanks for listening in today. We appreciate your time. We've had a lot of calls about Coals and Woolies maybe stacking shells during the day or maybe using their trolleys and their palettes to provide the online shopping service for click and collect. But it does appear over the last couple of months people have found it inconvenience to shopping the Big two because the amount of on shelf packing that's done during the day. I think it varies from store to store, but appreciate your thoughts today. And yet a lot of people saying, you know, my local Woolies or Coals now have allocated parking spaces outside the shopping center where people can can click and collect. It's a side of the times, I guess. Full disclosure from me, I've worked for a number of councils over the years, Shore of East Pilrishe of Wanneroo and others. I've never had a credit card. I've had and i never wanted one. I also worked the West Australian Local Government Association for WOLGA. Full disclosure from me right there, So pretty hard to defend this one. A number of councils have had the ruler drawn underneath them by Caroline Spencer and her Superdepartment of Auditors on steroids, and the WA Auditor General has filed a report six major councils in Perth. No transgressions or breaches as such, it would seem, but there doesn't seem to be a clear set of rules around what councils can spend money on when it comes to when it comes to food and beverages and catering. Caroline Spencer joins us now hig Caroline Hi Simon, good to talk to you. Is that a fair assessment?
Speaker 15: Yes it is. Look, this isn't this isn't a damning report and it could have been so much worse. You know, we've got lots of purchasing and credit cards being used by local governments and it's important to recognize that this is you know, a legitimate means of expenditure. You know, you cannot renew it software in many cases without a credit card, so you know, they are an important means of you know, public expenditure. And you know, we could have found that there was personal use in the whole bunch of inappropriate use with credit cards, and we didn't find that it was pervasive, if you like, it wasn't you know, people spending public money on a lot of personal things. But what we did highlight on the report that is that there are some items of expenditure that seem excessive and out of line with community expectations. And that was certainly the view of my team, where you know, when you compare with practices in the state public sector that it just wasn't aligned, you know, French Champagne, we saw, we saw some off site meetings with oysters and those sorts of assignment. And so what this order really does is remind public offices, whether they were elected men, administrative staff, not just in local government but state sector atornity, you're spending other people's money, You're spending public money when you every time you every time you purchase something, and to make sure that it's both reasonable, it's appropriate and having regard to where it comes from, and it comes from the public, the community's perse.
Speaker 2: You use an interesting fart phrase which I don't think i've heard you use before.
Speaker 1: It doesn't pass the pub test. You're a woman of rigor and diligence. I don't know how you measure. I mean, talk about programs like us have the pub test, but I didn't think you did.
Speaker 15: Look the chief armor to a pub talk. You know, we look under the covers and we say, you know, actually it's not bad run things that jabbing about the pub or.
Speaker 16: Around the barbie.
Speaker 15: But look, you know, like everyone enjoy a drink with friends and family. But with these sorts of things, you're spending public money. And I always use the guide that if you're spending other people's money, you have to be more diligent than if you're spending your own. And I know you know from my interactions with local govern elected members and staff all my team's knowing tract with so many across the state, regional and metro and they are in the main good honorable people just doing their best to serve their community, often dealing with difficult, complex issues. They have meetings at night and providing meals and even the odd glass of wine. I would suggest Australian reasonably priced wine rather than full bars stoctor excessively. It's those sort of things that are fine, and I don't want to be if you like the fun police on this, but just remembering that to keep it less excessive than you would spend spend on yourself, because you know, this is other people's money. It's the hardened taxes that people have to pay to governments that really should be spent with care and diligence.
Speaker 1: So this is Coburn, the City of per City, Melville, vic Park, Trio and Subi and there aren't there's some you know, there's quite a number of things listened in your report. I mean there's some high end I agree with sixty eight bucks a bottle of champagne is too much, but there's also four hundred and twelve dollars for four cases of wine, which I think if there are cases of twelve, that's there's seven eight dollar bottles of wine. That's that's reasonable, isn't Yeah?
Speaker 15: Look, I think it is. And your maths might be better than me at this time. With the fullshit too I've got down here in Albany at the moment, but I think the team were when they were on certain things. The bars kept stocked with things, and yeah, French champagne for things. You know, it was excessive in their view, but making sure that when you're that there's guidance for staff, because I mean, part of the reason that we can't say it was inappropriate is because there are inadequate policies and guidance in local government and what is not nowable and reasonable businesses, and particularly around alcohol and travel and meals and entertainment and gifts and things.
Speaker 1: Yeah, as I say, the pub tests or the optics as we sometimes say, are important in these in the times. Caroline, why are you in Albany today?
Speaker 15: We look, we've got I have the privilege of being a State Records Commissioner along with the Information Commissioner, the ombudsman and an expert in archives appointed by the governor. And so this is our first regional meeting in a long term. It's a head of the bisoninery next year for the City of Albany, and so down here with the State Records Office staff having our meeting, but also a local history event that if your listeners are interested in coming along to exploring the history of the Great Southern Region through the archives nine point thirty tomorrow morning at the Albany Public Library and people can register through the library if they'd like to attend. And we're also meeting with local public offices in state and local government this afternoon and they can you know, we want to hear as the State Records Office staff and as the commission from about the issues that they find with the record keed because records are so expensive, they're so important in terms of accountable and transparent decision making and the foundation of our democracy. You know, if making decisions that affect others, if public officers are making decisions that affect others, having them documented, whether it's a planning decision of council or whether it's something massive like the Albany Ring Road or the decisions of the port, those things need to be documented. And so records and the precious ones archives are so important. And so I've had the privilege of inspecting state and local government infrastructure. We've just been up to the National ANTC Center meeting members and leaders of the community down here. It's been a great privilege and a very very intense and.
Speaker 12: Lovely few days.
Speaker 1: So nine point thirty meeting tomorrow and it's a public presentation, so no Dom Perignon or Coffin Bay Easters.
Speaker 15: Look, there might be the odds sand which you're s gone if we're lucky, Simon, but that's that's not what people.
Speaker 24: Are coming for.
Speaker 15: But yeah, if you're if the community is interested, registered through the library, it's going to be a great attendance. I've heard already. And you know, just just grateful for people coming and sharing their stories and engaging with the history of this fabulous place.
Speaker 1: Thanks for talking to us today and enjoy Albany and I agree that that Anzac sender is really something. Isn't as an extraordinary.
Speaker 15: Bit of kid up there had a glimpse of it early this morning. And yeah, we'll bring my family back to actually spend time studying the just beautiful and we have to remember, you know, we must remember.
Speaker 1: Yeah, absolutely less, we forget. Thanks Caroline, thank you for talking to us.
Speaker 15: Thanks Simons.
Speaker 1: Here Caroline spends a talking good sense. So there are five metro councils, so no transgressions, no breaches of process, which is what Caroline normally goes. You know what she normally looks at when she looks at agencies, state and local, no breaches, but says doesn't necessarily pass the pub test. And I guess that is pretty good common sense, isn't it. If you're spending someone else's money, you should spend less on than what you'd spend on yourself. Twenty eight and a half minutes to eleven o'clock. It is the way agency, you know. I hear my fellow presenters on this station talk about how big some of these council businesses are. I think I heard Eli say the other day that Nedlands, for example, who are for me to strife at the moment. Hello, Ely if you're listening, are a forty million dollar budget business. So these are businesses, and they on occasion need to operate like businesses, and they hold events, and they hold functions and awards nights, and they buy catering with credit cards. And see spends that you're saying, it's not your money, spend it wisely and appropriately. Not bad. Good ay, James, good nighting showing.
Speaker 25: I used to work for the federal government for far too many years, but for spending is just I mean it's all over the place that the excess. You know, you talk about going out, we could go out in half a dozen of a spend when we're in Canberra, you know, spend two thousand dollars on a meal and then better an eyelid. But you go to the Midi bar in your room, if you take a five dollars chocolate, you just get hunt. I thought that was quite odd. But somewhere where you know where money spend, it just goes entirely unnoticed. There were new chairs brought into a meeting room. There are ten chairs. These chairs would be sat in six, seven, eight, nine times a year for a few hours each. Each chair costs one thousand and five hundred dollars. M.
Speaker 2: Well yeah, when was that mate, Well five years ago?
Speaker 1: Yeah, okay, all right mate, yeah, no, yes, thank you, James. I. This is a local government versus federal spending. You know, well there are you know, if you've worked in any level of government, I've worked in all three, you do see you do see excesses spending on some things, but it's always it is a budget and it's usually a budget that's transparent. The budget gets passed by a board or a council and then the officers spend it as per the budget. Aliens says, get a alien. The voice of is that was very well expressed by Caroline. Good to know someone who's taken interest in how our money is being used. The guilty councils will probably called a party pooper, but simply simply being responsible. Thank you, Aileen. Twenty six minutes to eleven o'clock. Nick Maruchak in next from MKI Legal.
Speaker 2: Some good news.
Speaker 10: Emergency works in Como and qed Ow both completed, things moving as safely in both locations.
Speaker 1: Otherwise a good run Mitchell.
Speaker 10: Guanana Graham Farmer and the tunnel CBD moving well and Row Highway a little bit slow hazel Mere southbound at the bypass. I'm Robie verrom Perutz, traffic leader six pr.
Speaker 1: Good a, Nick good A Bowie, Good to see you. Likewise, busy out there, yep, very busy all right, working late at night, working on weekends.
Speaker 22: Yeah.
Speaker 26: And I'm also part of a startup. I'm doing a legal AI startup, so I'm part of the plus eight program which is sponsored by the state government.
Speaker 2: Also doing that.
Speaker 26: That's a really it's a great, great thing.
Speaker 2: So true.
Speaker 26: Yeah, okay, yeah, trying to help our lawyers become more efficient with AI.
Speaker 22: Yeah.
Speaker 1: It's everywhere, isn't that. I've always sort of tried to hold it at bay because we like to think the spoken word and live commentary, etcetera. Is important. But it's everywhere.
Speaker 26: It's a matter of time before it just ifistrates it becomes your entire life.
Speaker 1: I hopefully well still need for humans, Nick, like yourself and me and James and Ann and Sean. If you want to speak to Nick Muchet, you can wonderble three A eighty two. We've had a text and you might be able to address this for me. Get a John O. He says, why are those kids that were doing the racing not named in shame? Their faces passed over the news, news and newspapers, so they are shamed in public. Thank you, John O. Nick, We can't do that name minus.
Speaker 26: You can name people over eighteen, but in Wa, there is probably everywhere around the country, there are strict laws prohibiting identifying individuals under eighteen involved in any criminal proceedings. So you can't get their name, they face, their school, anything that can identify by them, so that's against the law. And Another point to note is we have the Young Offenders Act, which provides a mechanism to wipe the criminal record if after they turn eighteen, and after there's a period of like a two year period of good behavior, so that there is a mechanism. So generally you kind of get a fresh style after eighteen as long as you are good and when you get your criminal search it doesn't show. So there is that. I mean there's a whole policy ground for that, which is, you know, kids under eighteen adults, they don't have as much criminal responsibility as over eighteen. But as we know, as soon as you turn eighteen, your face can be plastered all over the news. And yeah, so it works, it works.
Speaker 1: Thanks John, No, thanks for your thoughts. We do need to be careful in talking about court cases on social media. This is in the rumor fhile this morning, have a listen from Legal Legal.
Speaker 27: I have to read this as it's written. Okay, what for logal reasons I do. Rumor has it that a popular Perth based mummy blogger has received a very stern email from an interstate court after speculating about a well known trial that is currently taking place and opening it up for comments to her followers. As we know, there are serious contempt of court issues in doing this with the trial currently taking place, and the court was quick to jump on the post, getting the blogger to delete it just under an hour after it was posted, by which then it had already had hundreds of comments on it. The blogger then posted again, explaining that she had to delete the post, but again didn't turn comments off, so it all started again. Comments have now been turned off. Don't say anything further about that, all.
Speaker 1: Right, So they've been published, haven't they? Nick?
Speaker 2: Yeah?
Speaker 1: By definition, yep, that's right.
Speaker 26: So basically this area of law is something it's a contempt of court.
Speaker 2: Right.
Speaker 26: So there's this special kind of word called sub judas contempt, and it's basically this right that prohibits publishing material that poses a real and definite, definitive risk of prejudicing a trial. Right, So you can't influence a trial. It's called the administration of justice. So what this really means is, and this is applus to everyone, not just court reporters. Right, you have to you have to make sure that the trial is not unfairly influenced. And some of the things you have to really be careful of is not to reveal any information that the jury is not aware of, right. So sometimes an example is if the accuse has a criminal record, that often is kept from the jury because that could influence their decision. So you can't reveal stuff like that. And you also have to really be careful when you're implying guilt or innocence of the accused as well, because that can influence things. So this is the right process the court has took. Because as we know social media, they have a long tail, which means that things are caged or kept on there. Even though the deleted screenshots are shared reshared, you can't get rid of something when it's on the internet. So it's good that they acted quick and really the best course there's just to stick to the objective facts that are reported that vituory is aware of, right, don't really go into territory of saying this person is guilty, et cetera.
Speaker 2: So yeah, yeah.
Speaker 1: Right, yeah, once published, it remains. So you and I did talk about an issue last week where something had been published and could no longer be found, and that does create issues. But usually there's a screen capture or there's a way of finding publications that have been have since been deleted. Sixteen minutes to nine, sorry, seventeen minutes to nine. If you'd like to phone Nick Maruchek call through one double three eighty two is the phone number today. Anything that you like there has been so I wanted to ask you about. There's sort of a almost a burden of truth threshold in different procedures. Nick. So with regards to with regards to the finees enforcement. With regards to the fines enforcement case with the Kimbley Publican, the WA Supreme Court found the Liquor Commission misapplied the law in a police back complaint which and there's now white hefty penalty against against two Derby pubs. Raises questions about procedural fairness in licensing enforcement. So there are different and I'm using the term burdens of proof, which is which is my phrase, and it's probably not a legal too, but in different in different jurisdictions, that the burden of being able to prove something to be fair or unfair or legal or illegal can differ a bit, can't it.
Speaker 2: That's right.
Speaker 26: So when it's criminal cases, you have to prove beyond reasonable doubts. So there can be no doubt. And this is a much higher burden in civil cases such as this penalty hearing, it's on balance of probability. But this is basically a win for the pub Right. The police really went hard at this person, and for a breach of a I think it was like a liquor package, packaged liquor restrictions something like that. Right, So there was a breached. They got this big fine of one hundred and forty thousand dollars.
Speaker 2: Right.
Speaker 26: But the key in this case was one of the people in the commission that one of the decision makers wasn't present for the hearing, and so one of the judges was even president of the hearing and still was involved in making the decision. So I don't know how that kind of got through. So and then so the Supreme Court said, you can't do that. That denies the principle of natural justice. Right, So whenever there's governments involved and administrations, you have to have the opportunity to be heard and the decision maker, all the decision makers have to hear your case. So that was one that was really that failed. And the other thing is when it comes to this penalty, they really questioned whether the penalty was what was proportionate right, So it was probably a bit too high. So they sent it back to the Liquor Commission tribunal and hopefully it gets reassessed and re evaluated there. But yeah, it's good to see the pub win. But they probably spent a bunch on legal fees to kind of go through this whole fight, and it would have been quite an ordeal for them.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, for sure. But one level three eighty two. If you liked to speak to Nick Marie today, Nick will we will take your break. It's fourteen minutes to eleven. If you have any legal questions of family law, questions to seize the states, anything like that, give a Nick Maruchek a call from MKI legal fourteen minutes to eleven. Have a query for Nick Maruchak from MKI legal. Give us a bell one double three two roses phoned in. Get a rose.
Speaker 28: Hi, how are you going good?
Speaker 1: Thank you.
Speaker 28: I have a question about filling out forms for the e portal for the court system. So I have to get a statement from a witness. So do I get him to I'm thirty two a or something? Do I get him to fill that out and can he type that or does he have to handwrite it?
Speaker 26: Okay, So yeah, you're going through a civil claim. It sounds like it, Rose, and the Magistrate's Court YEP Form thirty two Statement of Intended Evidence of a witness, So it's basically like a witness statement, so you could he could type it out right and it's basically his version in first person. So this witness will just say, this is what I heard, this is what I saw. Sometimes a lot we do these all the time as lawyers. We'll sit down with the witness, get their evidence and then type it out. So and the other thing is this is probably a side note that you know the software I mentioned that I was creating, it's actually for witness statements. So my AI software can record a meeting with the witness and it can create the witness statement before you. So Rose, if you want help, because a lot of lawyers actually don't want to don't want to use it because it makes them more efficient. So if you want to use it, Rose, you can use our software. You can record the meeting with this witness and you can get an AI to produce the witness statement before you. And then you have to tidy it up and check it of course, but if you like to use it, I can help you. And it's to win three months to create all two months and yeah, it's working really great. So if that hope that might help as well.
Speaker 28: Can I then have to that to the court and they stamp it and then I have to give it to the other party or.
Speaker 26: You upload it. You upload it to the court portal. So a lot of these filings are done online. You will have a due date to do that, so you upload it, the court will process it and then you send it off to the other side as well, right before the deadline in the court orders.
Speaker 28: So they then send it back to me stamped.
Speaker 26: Yeah. You when you file it with in the court portal, they'll have the processor and then I haven't done it for a long time, but you download it and they'll give you there's a court seal on the electronic copy and then you send it to them on the other side. Yeah, so it's all done online these days. And if I mean, if you can't if you're have in real trouble online that they do have exceptions.
Speaker 1: So yeah, that's how you do it.
Speaker 28: That help out rose thought of because if the other person's got like four witnesses and I've only got one document given to me.
Speaker 26: And yeah, I mean, look, if your witness on your side is not cooperating and doesn't want to provide a statement, then you can support of them as well. And that's where you would fill out this Form thirty two A with your best kind of evidence that you can you believe.
Speaker 28: Okay, I think I think I've got it. Okay, thanks very much for you.
Speaker 1: No staying in touch, Rosa. If we can help or if Nick can help, you will thank you for your call.
Speaker 2: Get a Phil Yes, gooday.
Speaker 29: I had a real estate agent managing a commercial property for me.
Speaker 7: At the end of the.
Speaker 29: Lease, the tenant I had a lot of bank rent and interest on the back rent that wasn't paid or was paid, and then at the end the agent never pursued to recover the money. So I actually took the tenant to court and recovered the money through the magistrate's court. But then the tenant wouldn't pay the money back to me directly. They paid it to the real estate agent, and the real estate agent took his commission out of it, even though he did nothing. Is he entitled for that?
Speaker 26: This is a good question, so that you want to have a look at his terms of engagement first, right, So I would imagine his terms and engagement pretty broad. That would entitle him to the commission received. You want to see if there's a term in the contract that forces him to go and pursue the claim on your behalf in the magistrates' court, So check the contract first. The other thing is there is law that says if an unfair contract term right, if a term and a consumer contract is unfair, that can be challenged. So on the face of it, I think that there's probably an argument that if you know he is getting commission unfairly here, so the unfair contract terms could apply. It's not clear cut. So you could write to him and say, look, I don't I think it's unfairly you're receiving this unfair contract terms. Give me my money back, and if he doesn't, you can threaten to go to the magistrates court and if her claims under ten thousand, when all lose, you're not going to pay the legal costs. So that's something to try and try and recover as much as you can. The other thing is Department of Commerce regulates this intry so just check with them to see if there's any procedures that real estate agent have to follow in these circumstances, and just to see if there's been any rules that have been breached here as well. So they are the two courses you can try.
Speaker 1: Okay, thank you, thanks film good only mate. This is a text from Katie. Thanks Katie. A family member works at a daycare mention. They started a contract. When starting they can't work at another daycare center within fifty klongs if they leave the place she is employed at the moment, continues to hang promotion pay rises are over them, but without actually ever going through with it at face value? Is this actually enforcible?
Speaker 26: Great question? So this is called restraint or trade right. In unemployment contracts, sometimes there's clauses that say after you leave, you can't work for a competitor. Now, the way these clauses work is on the face of it, they are unenforceable, so their starting position wa is they're not enforceable unless the employer proves that they are reasonable. So this is the gray area, right, So sometimes they are reasonable in certain circumstances. In this case, I'm looking at this on the face of it, and fifty kilometers.
Speaker 1: Sounds at whole mature area.
Speaker 26: Yeah, I just I mean, this is just my initial view on it. This one will be hard to enforce. So I don't think this one would be like I mean, unless the person is really senior up or something like that, if they if they're working just in the regular job, then no, I don't think this with the court will probably enforce this one. And what normally happens is the employer really wants to go after you, they'll usually right to you first. Then you can try and negotiate with them. But look, I have to also give you the worst case. Worst case is if I'm wrong and I don't look at this one sounds like it's not going to stand up. But say if it does stand up, then you know that you go through the core process, you go through legal fees. It's a big nightmare. But most of the time, you.
Speaker 1: Know, it sounds like we're strained to try it, doesn't it.
Speaker 26: Yeah, So most that you know, employees don't really go after you for this unless you're causing them monetary loss. Right, So if you're causing financial loss, then they might go after you, or if you're really seeing you they'll go after you, or if they hate you, they'll go after you. But in this case I would say I would probably push back and say, no, look, this one is too it's too wide, right, so too wide. And if it's too wide, then it's not enforcible.
Speaker 1: Yeah, they go Katie. That helped Katie. I think that sometimes, and again depends on the person and the relationship with the organization in the media. Sometimes you know, work for another media outlet for six months or twelve months or whatever. It is like a sunset clause that it's not always applied.
Speaker 2: That's right.
Speaker 1: It varies.
Speaker 26: And there is laws that have been discussed that are potentially going through parliament to eliminate these clauses for people under the high income threshold, so if you're under one hundred and seventy five K. They want to try and reduce these laws from applying. So that's laws that being currently considered, and the government wrote a report on it and they reckon they'll add heaps of economic value and productivity to it. And they're really prevalent in certain industries like it headdressing. They're just they're misused.
Speaker 22: Yep.
Speaker 1: Let me put you on the spot a little bit, Nick maru Chak, where you're asking the questions today of our listeners. You're a lawyer. Are you concerned about sentencing in the community being too lenient? Given that the guy young fellow involved in the tragic death of Nick Campe a couple of years ago got three years and two months. Our listeners are saying yes, fifty four's nos nine. Are you a no?
Speaker 26: I am concerned that it's too lenient, that's my personal opinion, right, I think this is yeah, Simon, yes, because I think you know this driver he was old enough to drive. I'm sure he's under eighteen, but he's over eighteen now, but he was old enough to know right, right and wrong, so I think his sentence should be.
Speaker 7: Yeah.
Speaker 2: I'm a yeah, all right.
Speaker 1: Thank you for this week, Nick, look forward. Thanks for helping out our listeners and especially Rose with the offer of the of the AI transcription service and like it good idea. Hope it goes well for you, mate, than you give a little leaver cuddle for us and we'll see you next week. Thank you boy, See you mate, Nick maru Chack back next week, like you to have him three and a half to eleven. Mick Colos will join us soon.
Speaker 2: Sorry about that's hard to get good and reliable, punctual stuff.
Speaker 1: Mick Colos will join us after eleven. I've got plenty to talk about. Phone lines are open one double three A Daddy two. Thanks for listening in. We kicked off today's show with a yes, no question for you. Given what we saw yesterday with the sentencing around the minor M I. N O. R. Who was involved was driving the car when Nick Campo was killed. Are you concerned about sentencing in our judicial system? The Yester, the fifty six, and the nose and nine. Thanks for being part of it today. I'll bring you some of your thoughts on that in just a moment. Let's do this.
Speaker 2: Can I meet hang on, Simon? How long I've been coming here? Do you reckon? First time ever I've been given a glass of water? Thank you? Sean? Well done?
Speaker 1: Well I'm calling I'm calling incorrect.
Speaker 2: You think, to the man, why how many times do I sit here and someone says we'd like a drink of water?
Speaker 1: Well, I'm not sure about yours.
Speaker 2: M Fees could count on one of his three fingers.
Speaker 1: You might be maybe you're that beautiful mind is maybe the memory part of it's not working that well.
Speaker 2: You reckon, I get water all the time in here. I'd like to go on the videotape my back because there's no way.
Speaker 1: Well what about that time you complain you wouldn't get a biscuit? Yeah, so I brought you in like a pack of favorites with it, fifty biscuits, and you took the pack at home.
Speaker 2: You brought me a pack of a biscuit.
Speaker 1: No, I didn't. I bought you one.
Speaker 2: He put one or two on a plate. Hon't give me the whole packet and then we'll take That's why you don't get water, because you just take it home. You'll probably take that glass, that whole pack. I thought that was you giving me a packet week. That's what most people will give someone a packet of biscuit. It's not a biscuit if it's a gift.
Speaker 1: I don't want to have to get to a stage we have to strip search you when you leave, because you're taking their glasses and biscuits at one level. Three eighty two is the phone number today. You have given some money to a bloat, to a windscreen washing feller.
Speaker 2: It wasn't it wasn't. It was just so you come down the coast and you get to that the restaurant sort of at Latent Beach. Then you turn the left, turned back in towards the road. And then so I was on the the lights about to turn onto the new bridge, the free bridge. There was a bloke sitting there and he's on his milk crate, and you had a sign saying need money for food. And I thought, oh, the poor bug. If you're at that point where that's what you've got to try and get some money, you'll I'll give him some money. But I thought, I don't have any money on me, So I've got my credit card on have you? And I thought, I'll have a look in my in my glove box and around if I've got some money in me in the farm. I was in the farm yute, so I've got water dripping through the windscreen. So I've a batman as well, coils of rope in the back. And so I've gone off. I've had to pass him, but I thought I'll go around the blox. I went around the block and I looked and I thought, if I find some money in my glove box, I'll give him some money. He went around the block. Yeah, so I thought that's very nice. Again, Yeah, God, I just felt. I just felt, you know, my life's okay. So if I can help a blackout, I hope him out. So I've had my glove box and there's a fifty dollar note in there. Now I'm thinking, I'll hang on a second. How generous do I want to be here? But I thought I can't ask him for change, So I thought I'll give him. I'll give him fifty bucks. So I've come back around que there he's waiting, Now, give him fifty dollars. Yeah. So so he stands up and then the lady in front of me put and I put my hand out to get him to come down to me. And then the lady in front of me gave him a twenty, right, and then he's spoken to her, and then he's come to me, and I've given him a fifty. So this boke's on seventy bucks a minute at the moment, and you don't give to receive. But I thought he might say, thanks, that's free generous of you. So I give him in the fifty bucks and then he's just he's just ranted at me. And I don't know what he was saying. He was just quoting Bible scriptures and all sorts of things. And then he walked off and I said, mate, just make sure you grabbed yourself something something to it, and then then drove off. He gave you a little rant. Yeah, just yeah, you can't remember any of it now because it was I didn't have to kind of get into some scary territory about you know, death and all sorts of stuff. So I just I just kind of switched off till he finished, said, mate, just give yourself. It hasn't worked out that well, No, that isn't really would you like if you had your inflated, would you have if you had your time again, would you I'd go and get some change and then I so you would have turned left? Did you turn right? I went right, so right over the bridge, going to the bridge. Then did the you eat and then went back around and then back to it.
Speaker 1: Do look about three kilometers come back to the giving him fifty giving you something the Bible. So if you turn left, you could have gone to Old Bridge Sellers former bottle shop of the year, and he could have gone in there. They would have given you some change, so she had given him two dollars. I wondered if he gave the saying to the other lady.
Speaker 2: He did, because I was looking at her and I thought, I'll be really thankful to.
Speaker 1: Her rant he was just ranting at her. Okay, that's very unfortunate. Yeah, listeners, you're welcome or give us a call. One, double three atty two. Is the phone number have you recently given to someone on the side of the road.
Speaker 2: Is there a going rate?
Speaker 1: It feels like five or ten, doesn't that two or five?
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, I would have thought. I don't know.
Speaker 1: I mean, there is a theory that they're part of a you know, a cartel, and they get transported around from different places.
Speaker 2: Because this blake looked like you're doing it pretty tough.
Speaker 1: I see the same lady at the corner of read near and I see her there all the time. Yeah, yeah, she's often. I often think, I hope you got a sunscreen on. She's been out there all day in single it one double three, atty two. If you'd like to give us a shout, we have a story coming up for you that he involved ablutions. We're going to talk about that in just a moment. So this story was on Channel nine last night. I think Jamie Freestone might have had the story. But there's there's a business premises in the Northern Suburbs that has been I won't say randomly, but systematically targeted by a jogger who needs to do their ablutions to the full capacity. So we'll have a chat to the business owner and then just the moment. Yeah, it's a very unusual story. You spotted some crocheted flowers in a in a shop the other day.
Speaker 2: I was in the IgA, so not a fancy shop, and there was I thought there were flowers at first glance, and as and I thought maybe a first I thought I might have been real, But as I got close, I thought, I maybe they're plastic because they look very bright and colorful. As I got close they were. They were crocheted like someone's croy shaded flowers. And I thought, does anyone buy those things? Who would buy them? Would you buy one?
Speaker 1: I don't think so?
Speaker 2: No, who would?
Speaker 8: Yeah?
Speaker 2: Because anybody has anyone bought a crow shaded flower? And how is that a business? Crocheting flowers? Maybe it is maybe them make them a truck lin Let's find out but I just found it a really odd thing to crochet flowers for people to buy.
Speaker 1: And do you crochet in general? One double three eight eighty two? At the Lost Art I was, And now Rob, your favorite is your favorite.
Speaker 2: To crochet is a kid? Because my mum crocheted. Because the crochet that's the fairly thick needle, isn't it with a little hook on the hook? Yeah? I used to do it as a kid.
Speaker 1: So I I Rob has a gift, not a gift, because you can't take this away. It's not like a pack of the biscuits. This is just a show and show it here. Do your crochet one double three eight ed two. So my for my significant birth I had recently, my then seventeen year old crocheted me that that Rob's holding for you. Yeah, okay, well what do you think that is? I'm not sure it's there's a head there. There's a round, small round ball head. So I'm assuming that's your head in a wetex.
Speaker 2: West Coast Eagles colors. Yeah, it's like a Jacket's a jacket like a jacket.
Speaker 1: How would you describe it?
Speaker 2: A cape?
Speaker 1: A cake superher and you can see a little goatey.
Speaker 10: Like buzz say, the goatee is I think the defining detail on this.
Speaker 1: It's got a very round head. I don't know if that's entirely accurate. I'll leave that to your comment, Boie, but very well done. Yeah, so the jacket comes off, you can open the jacket. I'll give you the honest mick if that was made for me by Bella. And that is a little baby Simon crocheted. A little baby crocheted Simon.
Speaker 2: I like the detail. A shorts, T shirt and a towel. That's good.
Speaker 1: That was the first thing you did to lift the T shirt up?
Speaker 2: Why was it? See if you've got a six pack and he doesn't, thank you, Rob, Thanks, there's your favorite staff member. Yeah. So do people still crochet?
Speaker 1: Let's wind out one level three eighty two and have you do you give to people on intersections? Hei, Nicole, she's gone. Nicole's gone, Oh, yes, she has gone. Look at that. The whole screen's gone blank. Oh we lost our lost their tell comms. We'll come back in just a moment. It's quarter past eleven. We are going to talk to a business owner that's been It would seem me systematically targeted by what these days is known as a poo jogger.
Speaker 2: Because that's becoming common. Like there's a lot of pooh jogger stories that there are raised the head of now and that now you were a runner, yes, and what a note. And sometimes you do get caught out. Yeah, but did you find as a as a regular kind of runner? Was everything quite regular?
Speaker 8: You know?
Speaker 1: Sometimes you do get caught out.
Speaker 2: Yeah, you do get caught out, but like she's done it four times, She's been caught out in the same place, at the same place at the same time. Yeah, so that's not something you had to run a couple of blocks to get there.
Speaker 1: You do hope sometimes that you're if you're in Kings Park, there's an ablution block nearby you can use. Yeah, you're down on the foreshore or you know, running along the beach. But this person has been caught out systemically at the same place. So it's never happened to you never get caught.
Speaker 2: Out, not to the point where.
Speaker 1: You need to go in a public place, in a public place like that.
Speaker 2: And it's interesting she chooses the same ramp. Maybe the angle was good for yeah, I don't know, but yeah, but the vision it's like honestly, and you don't want to make light of it, but I take that mat It's like watching a pit stop in an F one like it's that quick. It's just in go on like it's unbelievable. If you put a clock on it, it wouldn't be more than three seconds. Yeah, okay, really well done.
Speaker 1: I knew you'd have a different take on it. We'll come back in just a moment. Of folks would love you to ring in, but just at the moment you can't. So we've have a little disagreement with their telecommunication system. So we'll take your cause in just a moment. The beautiful mind of Mick Corlis will come back in just a moment. Seventeen past eleven. Do you crochet? Have you ever purchased some crocheted flowers?
Speaker 2: And in the street.
Speaker 1: I'll come back it said, David says, Simon. Your show is so much better when Mickey's on. Thanks Simon, David, there's no need for that one numble three. Ady steven says, so Mick hasn't got a job and gives it gives a fifty a way.
Speaker 2: Wow, I didn't I didn't know it was in the glove box and I don't know how long would have been there for, and chances something's going to break it and I can't knock it off. I wouldn't have done anyway, So if I only gave it away because I didn't know.
Speaker 1: It was there, we have set and Barclay a task. You know, the other week you were talking about court sketches and how you can't take photographs of people. So Anna has taken a photograph of you. Yeah, and there's your two court sketches, one looking happy like you've had a successful fought outcome and the other one you love. One of the staff from Mad Max, one of the one of the guys from Mad Max.
Speaker 2: That's very fun, isn't it.
Speaker 1: Yeah?
Speaker 2: Wow, how clever is Ai? That's great? Yeah.
Speaker 1: So we'll try and try and get those published at some point. One double three, eight auty two? Do you crochet? Do you have you ever bought any crocheted flowers? Love to hear from you today, Maurice says, can you let me know which corner you gave the money on? As I may do the same, says Marie. It's just on the as you turn right to go across the traffic bridge. Marie, you have a new bridge across the trompation to turn right. Thanks this one here from Ryan. I know someone who who got three thousand dollars through pay ID from a drive while they're sitting at the lights speaking. That's pretty good.
Speaker 2: Three grand wow.
Speaker 1: Patrick says sorry that Mick had to suffer the Bible ram when he gave the bloke the fifty. I'll try to redeem the integrity of the good Book and quote Proverbs twenty one thirteen, which says whoso stoppeth this is at the cry of the poor, he also shall cry himself that shall not be heard, says Paddy from Bayford. Mick will be heard in his hour of need. Should one come? Amen, Thank you, says past the Paddy.
Speaker 2: Thank you, Patty.
Speaker 1: That's pretty good, isn't it. We would love to hear from you. One double three eight eighty two? Have you bought some crochet flowers? Do you crochet? I reckon it has been doing the rounds among younger people, Yes, young young women or my.
Speaker 2: Because why would that comeback? Why would that happen? Yeah, that just sounds a really odd thing for people to start crocheting, don't you.
Speaker 1: Think I do? Yes, but I can't speak for my daughter and her friend.
Speaker 2: No, but it's just a really odd thing. But look good on them. Good on them.
Speaker 1: Now, we've we used.
Speaker 2: To do mccrme when we were kids, and we used to make MCCRMEI things it used to hang pots in. Yeah, mccrme.
Speaker 30: Hang.
Speaker 1: We used to be at home or at school. I think at school.
Speaker 2: Yeah, because you made to do it at school, were you. You wouldn't do it voluntarily, would you. I didn't mind it. I found it quite relaxing.
Speaker 1: Well that might be why they crochet as well.
Speaker 2: Yes, good point.
Speaker 1: One, double three eight daddy two. Now we're a little mistified as to why someone would exercise their ablutions at a business on a regular basis. Malita Marky is the CEO of the Asbestos Diseases Society of Australia. H'm Malita. It is Simon and Mick.
Speaker 11: How are you hi, guys, I'm well, thank you.
Speaker 1: Now this is for those people who haven't seen the story, haven't seen the haven't seen the video. Can you explain it to us in your words?
Speaker 11: Yes, Look, it's a concerning issue.
Speaker 29: As you know.
Speaker 11: The Expective Disease Society has been around for fifty years supporting people exposed to asbestas and other dust diseases, and we recently expanded our services to offer a GP Family and Workers Clinic at our premises to support the community on a broader basis. And since December last year, we've had a jogger unfortunately use the rear of our office as their toilet as they're jogging along. So we've had four incidences of this over the last six months, and we became very concerned for the person's health and we wanted to reach out, and that's why we shared the footage to sort of encourage the person to come and see our GPS and get some support of their issue, because we've investigated it and it is a concerning matter, particularly on a hygiene basis and into health issue of the person who's gout issues. So we'd really like to help.
Speaker 1: And that is that is very indicative and reflective of your organization, Leada. You care for people and people's health. Is it the same definitely the same person. Is it a female, It.
Speaker 11: Is a It is a female. And we've had a number of joggers bring our clinic really upset about it because they feel it damages their reputation as the jogging community, and they have identified but they haven't given us a person's name, but they've said they've seen the person on their jogging.
Speaker 2: Roots, Melida, Because are you kind of being too kind? Like do you think that that person does need help or they just have to go and just their their body clock. That's that kind of that's when it kicks in.
Speaker 11: Well, look, well, the reason I feel it is a cry for help is because we've got these giant cameras there. They're obvious, and so I'm wondering. And they've also selected to do this at the Optomics risk clinics, so they're picking. It's not just us on different days, she's targeting different health organizations. So I do feel potentially maybe it is a cry for help. I can't believe that she wouldn't have seen the cameras, so from that perspective, but yes, you know, I am being a little bit kind because I also have to be firm in concern from my own workers, my staff who has come to work in the morning and realize that that evolution is there on the disabled ramp for our disabled clients to access the building, and then they've got to call out a buy hazard firm to come and clean it up because it is a buyer hazard under the Health Act, that person can be charged. So yeah, so it is a serious hygiene and health issue for the community and for other people that might come across it in other areas. That shows it because you know, as someone pointed out, if you're going to do a jogging route, you could pick it where all the VP's and all the partick health toilets are.
Speaker 16: On your room.
Speaker 1: Absolutely you can. And that's what that's what a lot of joggers do, Blinda. Is it true, There's a couple of things for me. Is the person running fast in other words, are they a runner or just a recreational jogger? And is it true that she is stopping her watch each time she rolls up.
Speaker 11: Yes, and that's what's been that's what's highlighted to us around the OCD mental health issue that they actually stop so they're not interfering with their timing as they're timing their route. So that was something that was concerning to our GPS looking at that picture. And also the fact of the actual ablution. It's not a healthy type of one, and that indicates gut issues and often runners have knee issues, angle issues, so they could be taking anti inflammatories. So we feel that we want to reach out, and the jogging community has said, look, we're going to encourage. When we see it, it gets some help because it ruins their reputation. Imagine people looking.
Speaker 16: At joggers like this.
Speaker 11: It's really unfortunate for that community.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, it is, no doubt. All right, Hey Melida, thank you and keep up the good work with your day job too, lady, do an amazing, amazing work helping people out.
Speaker 11: Thanks me, Leida, Pleasure Simon, thanks for the call.
Speaker 1: Thank you Leader Marquis so taking pretty seriously but also showing some humanity.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah it is.
Speaker 1: It's you and I sometimes joke about joggers who jog at the traffic lights and like to turn their watch off and on.
Speaker 2: Well, os Rava, do you think she was turning the watch on? Like was she? Because as I said before, it's very fast, she's stopping start stops timing the ablution B because it's very it's very neat, and it's just I thought we had that in quite a grown up fashion until you started doing time in the abolution. You take the interview, but no it is. It's it's an odd one. It's an odd one.
Speaker 1: Doing it elsewhere, doing other places. I reckon, it's a jogger is getting caught out. Got a regular running route and getting caught out.
Speaker 2: Yeah, that's what's what I think it is. Because if he's turning a watch on and off, you're a serious jogger. Yeah, you do want to upset the Strava, which is the stats. Yeah, But nice of the leader to say it seriously, and it is good. And if the lady does have problems, I hope she gets them sorted out.
Speaker 1: And I think if if we thought that every person who turned off their watch, who was jogging every time they came to a stand still had O c D, and then all of them would have got them because they all do. We all do because we care about.
Speaker 2: Our times, you all do, and their diaries correct, yeah, and your heart rate monitors and heart rate all those things, and that's why we have success Minael. Correct.
Speaker 1: That's where you're just wandering around exactly, wandering around and your.
Speaker 2: Double plug exactly, Yeah, with nothing to offer.
Speaker 1: Has it been cold enough yet for you to tuck your single into your underpants?
Speaker 2: Are getting there? Getting there? But not. Market has been pretty mild, so we haven't actually had the really cold with it.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it's still being warms. It's about eleven. If you like the phone, mit Colers, you can get a Wayne.
Speaker 31: Or shall I say the Colossal? They say again, the colossal colin. I believe that he's actually bigger on the inside.
Speaker 16: Is that right?
Speaker 1: Well, like a tadas.
Speaker 2: I don't know.
Speaker 1: I don't know what you mean.
Speaker 31: I'll just bring it up, mate. You want might want to keep that fifty bucks. I believe it's actually illegal to put your arm out of the window.
Speaker 29: At the travel lights.
Speaker 2: Is it really?
Speaker 31: You could cover fine? Yeah?
Speaker 2: Wow, I hope you do that. You hope you hope I get a fine?
Speaker 1: Yeah? I hope. I hope it's on.
Speaker 4: No, I don't want you to get fine.
Speaker 2: I mention if you got fifty, you get a Bible rante.
Speaker 1: No, that's a good day, isn't it?
Speaker 22: Thanks?
Speaker 1: Wayne? Good for on your mate. How about eleven? Hello, Jillian, Oh, good morning.
Speaker 4: I'm listening to this program for over thirty years. Love it. But all your people that work on the radios, so she should get out and see families and your grandparents and your mothers and fathers and your children. Flowers have been crow shaded for many years. They sell them in most of the florist shops, so you must go to the shop. Do you ever go and see your grandmother or your mother or anyone that's in nursing homes. They all crowsher beautiful bedspreads everything and all the flowers. The flowers are very hard to scrosso. I have her twenty five year old engineered granddaughter who lives in Sydney. She grew out crosses them and you should have a look at what's going on in the world other than just being on the radio.
Speaker 2: Wow, thanks you, sir. So the crocheted flowers have been around for a long time, because that was the first time I've seen.
Speaker 24: Them go into.
Speaker 4: Wood Foal shopping center, not the big one, the big one going there, going there opposite walls, and there's on the corner there there's a florish shop. They've got hundreds of them there there all the time, and they've been there for years and years and years. One of my granddaughters brought me one well a few years ago, and now I've got that in my house and they're beautiful. They are very hard to make why don't you all get to with your grandparents and try doing some of these things out out of your line radio.
Speaker 1: All right, Gillian, you know you know why I knew whit was Whitford's jillion, because they get out in the world. We'll come back in just a moment.
Speaker 10: Feeding a track broken down in a Bateman the quanan a northbound exits a Leech Highway or west found that left turning lane blocks with the motorists outside of the vehicle otherwise moving well and Mitchell Quanana Graham Farmer and the tunnel Row Highway bit slow southbounds at the bypass in Hazelmere.
Speaker 1: I'm Rob Beaver on Perth Traffic Leader six PR twenty four minutes to midday chet GPT has done a couple of court sketches of myself there, Mick, can you can you describe them to.
Speaker 2: A happy one, happy one who looked like Lockie read but you've got your prison green T shirt on, which is good, and then the sad one.
Speaker 32: I don't know who you look like my dad? You look like your dad, dude, my late dad. Yeah, Well there you go. It's you look pretty miserable. It's quite bizarre, but the sad one. I think the sad one looks more like both of us looks like us, but the happy one doesn't look like it, maybe because they're both miserable.
Speaker 1: Hello LOCKI, Hello Loki if you're listening some text lines coming to the text messages. Hello Jess, Jess is only thirty five mix, he says, I crochet blankets for the kids. My partner bought me some absolutely beautiful flowers which dried preserved, and that had a few cratio flowers in amongst them. They are beautiful and still as the good as the day I got them two years ago. Thank you. There's a husband and wife team on the corner of one of a road and hepburn ab begging for money six days a week, fifty two weeks of years, says John. Thank you. John. Don't let Mick out in the world anymore than he's actually is at the moment, says Matt. And get out in the world, Simon, there's one of our.
Speaker 2: You do need to get out more.
Speaker 1: Yeah, that was good.
Speaker 2: To it like that.
Speaker 1: Two and a half minutes to midday, Hello Jenny him.
Speaker 24: Yeah, I knit so Kroscher and Vansian Kracher. So I do a lot. I was talking of a child by my late month.
Speaker 1: What was the last one, Jenny.
Speaker 24: Vanisian very chap?
Speaker 2: What's that?
Speaker 24: You do it? On one needle? You pick up all the skippers in the cast them off, pick them up and crust them off.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 1: My daughter Bella Jenny she reckons crow shay is easy and knitting. It's a little more forgiving. Would that be right?
Speaker 24: Well it is because if you make a mistake, you under the rail.
Speaker 1: You need Yeah, yeah, right, thanks Jenny, well done. Passed on by a mum.
Speaker 2: Have you passed it on to Jenny? Have you passed it on to anyone?
Speaker 20: Yeah?
Speaker 24: I passed it on to my children on seventy three, both Croatia.
Speaker 1: Well yeah, that's cool, isn't it good? What do you pass on to your boys?
Speaker 2: Not a lot? I probably should, I probably should pass something on. What have you passed on? It's not the middle name?
Speaker 1: I reckon? No, no, I forgot about it. I did forget. Listens if you are not if you didn't catch meck and I the other week we've been we've had Robert in our names, back to the eleven the Battle of Hastings and I forgot.
Speaker 2: Yeah, didn't pass that on. No, no, forgot one job forgot I reckon, I didn't pass it on necessarily because he's actually better than me. Is there something you have passed on? He's pretty good on guitar, and you much much money passed it on?
Speaker 22: Well?
Speaker 1: He saw he always bought him guitars around me, you know, when we were playing. But he's twenty five thousand times better than runner, which wouldn't be hard.
Speaker 2: I think you're being a bit harsh in yourself, Simon. More stuff. I've got more expensive and better guitars than thing, Isn't it sucked in great ide sitting around even smash Stavo renting and I've got n guitars in the house. That's right?
Speaker 1: How can i vic?
Speaker 9: Yeah? Good aye? Simone? Talking about con jobs in the shopping center down south. I'm used to people asking me for smokes and money and that. But the bloke came up to me and he shid, hey, I've got a piece of paper for you. This is unusual. And when I undid it, it said, I'm mute. I can't read or write. Can you give me five dollars?
Speaker 1: Oh that's a new one.
Speaker 2: That is a new one.
Speaker 9: That was a good one I thought whispering, did you.
Speaker 2: Take did he take the piece of paper back?
Speaker 9: Yeah, wow, we've probably got I don't know who wrote it, but he didn't. He was telling the truth.
Speaker 2: Yeah where was it mate? Oh yeah, yeah.
Speaker 9: That might have been that amused people asking me for smokes and asking me for the light and ask me for money. But when it's bogain to meet the page to pay board? Would this is good?
Speaker 1: It's good? Yeah? Nine for one night. We were going to go down there one day. We were in like this winter. It was too hot.
Speaker 2: In winter when it's a bit cooler, it's too hot. Yeah, well we can go go in winter. What were you doing down in Fremantle, that's outside of your little little triangle of influence. I was sitting down to my mother. Oh, yes, she's down in North Cougie.
Speaker 1: Yeah you do, Ben, Gillian said, you and I need to get out of the well. Just let the point out. We do visit our mothers, don't we.
Speaker 2: We do visit mothers. Y Yeah, yeah, I don't spend all day in here. You certainly don't know. I don't you've got any job applications in at the moment. No, not at the moment. I need to get back onto that with a couple up something that looks appere I need to get back on to earning a living. How out bits of paper?
Speaker 31: Get a hew?
Speaker 1: You going, simon good Nicole.
Speaker 12: I actually visited a shopping center where we had a a homeless man with two dogs sitting outside the shopping center asking for you know, food or donations, and being a huge animal lover, I decided to go in and buy some dog food for the dogs.
Speaker 20: And when he.
Speaker 12: Bought the dog food, bought premium dog food actually in a bag of smackos and and took it out to him and said hello, and said I've bought these for your dogs. And he just looked at it and said, oh, that's very kind of you. But they can't actually eat that, because you know, they're just pretty bussy. But I don't like that, and spacos are bad for them. Do you do you think I could have their receipt. I'll take it back in for a ring fund and I'll get them what they can eat. And of course, you know, straight away I realized it that was a bit of a skin going on. Well, I'd already bought the stuff, so I ended up taking it back in and I said, well, what will you dogs eat because I will go back in and swap it.
Speaker 2: Over for you.
Speaker 12: He stumbled a little bit and wasn't really quite sure what to say. And I went back in and did change the dog food over and randomly bought a few other things and decided to open up the packets of dog food and treats so that he couldn't take them back and refund them and kept the receipt and walked off.
Speaker 7: But he wasn't happy.
Speaker 2: So remind me, I never asked you for money. That's thanks, I'd be Look, and I don't want to make light of this because there's a lot of people that are doing it tough. But there's an amazing I know what the correlation is, but the number of people that actually have a sit with a dog because people like Nicole, you kind of gives you that extra element of emotional connection when there's the guy with the dog, he's looking after his dog so and it's quite amazing, especially if a seas. I've seen so many sit there with a dog, and I've actually seen people with a toy stuff dog that have sat on their little blanket with them. Are you sure yep. Absolutely, I've seen that firsthand, like sitting with the stuff dog, because they know that that if you've got a dog, that people are more inclined to gup and give them stuff.
Speaker 1: As a market Yeah, I bought it as a stuff dog. Thank you to Cole the Jeff oh Hi, Simon, Mateo, Mick.
Speaker 33: I met someone the other He's actually a business colleague that knows you. His name's Jose. He is at the Scarborough Lifesaving Club. He's in his seventies. He does skiing on ski paddles.
Speaker 7: Those of state. It's won a lot of state trophies than that.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 33: Yeah, I don't want to do business. I said, I don't want to do business with you anymore. My story, my story, I won't mentioned where it is. Well, it was at a traffic light and I sort of had twenty dollars and I waved it to the guy and he came across it about five cars down. He ran across, ran across, and I says, oh yeah. He goes, oh yeah, thank you, I said. I said, I'm actually looking for some labor. I'm looking for some laborers.
Speaker 7: You're interested in your job?
Speaker 6: Mate?
Speaker 7: He turned around.
Speaker 33: He says, nah, can't do that, mate, I said, why not?
Speaker 6: He says, nah, nah, I can't do that.
Speaker 33: I said, it's a pretty well paid job. You know I did.
Speaker 2: I did.
Speaker 33: I won't tell him all about it.
Speaker 7: You know what I did?
Speaker 33: I said, I wound the window up and I waved the twenty bucks and and then I drove off.
Speaker 2: He didn't end up giving it to him.
Speaker 33: No, well should I because he didn't want a job.
Speaker 7: Is that a bit cruel?
Speaker 1: Don't know. I mean I haven't given money out for a while because I have I haven't heard all the stories on six PR about maybe they're part of a you know, drop off, drop down Cartelli kind of organization. I don't know, I might be wrong in doing that. Thanks, Jeff. I don't think you're cruel. Sometimes you don't always get our talk about topics right. But that's hardly a crime, that's it happens in that.
Speaker 2: Yeah, But it's an interesting because I mean, it's most basically think, yep, if the bloke's doing that because he hasn't got a job, if you give him a job, that solves that problem. But you don't know what he's got gone on as well.
Speaker 1: You know that's true.
Speaker 34: Get a Allison, Good morning guys. Tat you were talking about crocheting before.
Speaker 15: My nan.
Speaker 34: Rustless soul. She's passed, but she crocheted all these blankets for all of her grandchildren, and mine is starting to unravel and I don't I don't know how to crochet to fix it. So I was just wondering if there was anybody out there that might be able to.
Speaker 12: Help me out.
Speaker 1: Yeah, up for yeah, yeah, yeah, that's a really good question. My little baby, Simon's a little but draggoned, isn't.
Speaker 2: It's a bit of dragon. But has I started unraveling yet though? So no, because yeah, I think Jillian might be able to help with that.
Speaker 1: Yeah, to stop that unraveling, Allison, stay well, I'll put you back to Sean and to Anne and we'll see if someone can help. Can anyone to help Allison tidy up what is obviously important keepsakes in crocheting starting to unravel. Let me know if you can help, and we'll see if he can hook you guys up safely, of course. Thirteen and a half minutes to midday, meet Collas is with us back in a second. Yeah, thanks for listening, and I'm Simon Barman. I met Collis is with us today. Mick has given a fifty dollars note to a bloke on an intersection near the Fremantle railway bridge and has copped the biblical rant and not a lot of appreciation.
Speaker 2: No, yeah, and I didn't know it was going to be a fifty. I thought, if I find somebney in that glob box, I'll give it to him. So I committed to myself. I thought, I saw the fifty, I thought, I don't want to give you.
Speaker 1: What if you'd stop the car, turn the ignition off and throwing the tar paul and back and showing all that stuff that's in the tray.
Speaker 2: And giving him something of that? He said, he can have this call of rope, Yeah, these chains, Yeah, there's moldy straps, this sock. You're going to have a mosquito swarm exactly one. Level three two is still to come off up on the show. What will Mark and from the City of Sterling do with east scooters given the city a perth have picked theirs up today? What do you mean pick them up?
Speaker 1: They picked them up. There's a fatality last Saturday, yes, involving allegedly and any bread person knocking a bloke over on the on the footpath City of Perth picked them up today, so they're getting rid of them temporarily until there's an investigation as to what actually happens.
Speaker 2: So they're taking all the EA scooters off the street, the.
Speaker 1: Purple and the orange ones.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 1: Yeah, so that happened this morning, has been happening this morning. So they Perth are saying it's out of respect for the person passing, respect for the family. But I would imagine too there's some legal implications around people getting on them when they've had some drinks. Tragic and they can't these ones they're using, like can't keep the speed down. The ten ks now they're all governed to twenty five. So if you're on a foot crowded footpath and the CBD, that's okay. On roop side Drive, yeah, but it's okay Harrison Island, but it's not okay in the middle of the GEO probably target it, So I think they do in some places. Yeah, I think. I think we had some correspondent from someone in Rockingham that says that if you're on the footpaths ten and then we can do twenty five.
Speaker 2: We were on we went for the Rugby World Cup, and that's sometimes you just you're really slow and you think, go why can't I go? And then you get pats a certain zone. Then it goes again. So with this, where was that? That was in summary in France? I can't remember him? Where?
Speaker 1: Yeah?
Speaker 2: Summary in France over the front.
Speaker 1: Yeah one Duble three eight e two is the phone number, flight to phone Mick, Mick on my myself, you can. We've had a favorite correspondence on crocheting, Mick. That's a crocheted poppies are used on Anzac Day and Remembrance Day. Okay, yeah, so I haven't seen those before, so not you know, Mick and I don't know everything and always happy to be correct.
Speaker 2: Because you need to get out of it more, Simon, get out in the world.
Speaker 1: I'll just talk on the radio of me and visit my mum in the nursing home. Matt says, does Sharon know you gave her fifty away?
Speaker 2: I told her yesterday the same story and she said, yeah, that was her fifty dollars, but she'd seen that in there, but she'd forgot that was there as well. So that the fact that we didn't know we had it there that I was okay to lose it because I didn't know I was there anyway. It would have been a nice bonus if I went up to McDonald's or something and thought, oh, geez, oh, here we go. But yeah, so I did tell her that, and she was okay with it.
Speaker 1: Okay, my little one. She's nine, and she sat in my passenger seat of my car a lot over the last eight or nine years, and she it's been the same car. And she puts her treasures in the global box. She's got a little jewels, dead starfish right, there's a bone in there, which I think is from a chicken. All the stuff she finds on the beach, there's rocks, the shells, there's a crab pincher, nice pincer.
Speaker 2: Some heirloom we call that.
Speaker 6: Ye.
Speaker 2: I just saw on the news just then that Craig Bellamy, who's the Melbourne Storm coach, has just signed on for his twenty fourth straight season as a coach of a first Premier team. That's amazing. Is there is there a longer serving How long did she was around for a while?
Speaker 1: I think she was twenty five or twenty seven years.
Speaker 2: It's amazing and be successful, which is incredible.
Speaker 1: Ye, that's soccer's on tonight Australia versus Japan in Perth. Will you watch that?
Speaker 2: Is it the soccer rous?
Speaker 1: Yes, it's a qualifier? Is it for you today? Twenty next year?
Speaker 2: Off the World Cup? Is it real? Yeah? Where are we aut with that? We've got to win or is it just party?
Speaker 1: We do have to win?
Speaker 2: Yes, like if we we're in. If we lose, we're out or no there's still some more to come on. Yeah, okay, but we are winning. Be nice and then the Origins coming up as well in Perth. In I think it might be next week actually next Wednesday night?
Speaker 1: How good?
Speaker 2: Yeah, very good? I think it is it?
Speaker 1: Next week you're going to the bare knuckle boxing fighting champ.
Speaker 2: I don't like that. And because I don't like I don't like violence. I don't like seeing it. I don't like having it inflicted on me. So no, I don't like it. But there's obviously a market for it. But yeah, I find that a very odd thing. I don't know. I'm with the people that are saying we probably shouldn't be doing it. And if it goes underground, let it go underground. I don't think it should be made like a mainstream thing. It's like that, you know, that run it straight thing now that where that kid died the other week where people just run into each other at a manly regular league game in Sydney to the day people out the back on the biers running down a hill, just running into each other and knocking people out, and you're thinking, you know, it's just that sort of stuff. I can't get my head around how people find that.
Speaker 1: Probably with you there, Mick, Kevin Sheety co sessing them for twenty seven years. Wow, four premierships? Ye are really goodn't he really impressive? Sheet?
Speaker 2: Well, probably Bellamy's probably. I don't have any discids. I know they lost three or two because the salary cap issue, but they've been consistent. I think I don't know how we'd I think it'd be even more successful than Cheety Craig Bellony.
Speaker 1: Just it's more successful than Wayne Bennett.
Speaker 2: Because Wayne, why was it the Broncos for a while, But it wasn't there for I don't think it's there for twenty four years't know how long he is it the Broncos for. But I just find that longevity in a sport like that at that top level. That's just is incredible.
Speaker 1: Yeah, a Graham, Good Berners guys.
Speaker 35: A quick story on the Blakes were collecting, rattling their tins and stuff. I lived down bull Creek Way and he was quite he was quite often outside of the shobbage and a shaking his tin. And I walked past him one day and I thought, well, I won't give him money. But I went back to the car and I got on an apple out of the boot and I went around and I said, yeah, I haven't got any money, but what a bit you have the apple? And you said, what the ef am I going to do with that?
Speaker 2: Yeah, we're getting a few a bit of thanks Graham, getting a bit of correspondence on that people offering alternate turn it into money.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it doesn't go down that well.
Speaker 2: It would appear, no, no, because yeah, I've always thought about you just buying buy a matter sandwich or something or other. I haven't done that either, but I'd probably rather that because I think people think if I'm giving him money, they're either going to go by beers or drugs or do something with it. But if you've given him something to eat, well that's for them kind of thing. So I'm with people, happy to give them food.
Speaker 1: But yeah, obviously, yeah, and it'll mix's gonna leave us in just a second, three and a half minutes to twelve. If you've got any nice stories about giving money or alternatives to people who are begging, let us know. After Mick leaves. It's a couple of three minutes to midday back in a second. Craig Bellamy has won three Premierships as head coach of the Melbourne Storm and he's just signed up for his twenty eighth year, twenty fourth year, twenty four Wayne Bennett seven n RL apprenticeships with the Bronx.
Speaker 2: Yeah, in twenty five years at the Broncos.
Speaker 1: Yeah, amazing, unbelievable. Yeah.
Speaker 2: I don't think we'll see that anymore once these guys are gone. I just don't think we'll see that.
Speaker 1: Yeah again, different sport, that sport coming to Perth. It's been Meninga being heavily backed in to be there.
Speaker 2: Yes, it hasn't been officially anounce yet, has it president that he's demand.
Speaker 1: But if you, we know you haven't struggling to find a job, and if you did have to begabo, what intersection would we find you at West Coast Highway. Probably the scar of Beach Road is pretty good.
Speaker 2: Yeah, that's a good one. Yeah he's probably there.
Speaker 1: Is he all right?
Speaker 2: Come?
Speaker 1: So Gooday, see you mate. The beautiful mind of Mick Collis.
Speaker 22: How good.
Speaker 1: We'd ucky to have him. He'll be back with us next week. I'm Simon Beaumont. Midday. Stay listening to per today. How good? Here until one o'clock today, Olie Peterson, we'll join us a little later on. I'll bring you up to date with our poll question today, which we asked at nine o'clock, a concern with judicial centences at the moment, given what we heard yesterday three years and two months for the minor am I nor involved in the crash that killed Nick Campo. I'll bring up today with our poll in a justice second and we're going to catch up with Marko. And in just a moment this city was sterling mayor what will he do with eastcooters given that the City of Perth have started picking theirs up today. So the orange ones, which are Neuron Mobility, are being picked up by Neuron and the purple ones are being picked up by Beam. That is suspension of the contract. Spoke to Bruce Reynolds today, the Deputy mayor of the City of Perth, and he says it's out of respect for the family of the deceased, but they will cease operations for a while. We'll find out what city' stilling are going to do. Because there are a number of councils that have high scooters Bumbray, Bustleton, Rockingham, Frio Geraldon to name but a few, Albany and Calgily you have receised their operations. We'll talk to Marking just a moment after twelve fifteen today Darren Sargent will join us our resident podiatus here on Perth today. So have you got any foot problems or I want to have a chat to Sarge. Please do one double three A two is the phone number and Nichols Niche will join us after twelve thirty is the sentencing from our judiciary to lenient in your opinion. The yeses are fifty six and the nose a nine. Will keep you up to dated with that as we go. And Dan sent me a really good message about the qualification of the Soccreos in the campaign to get into the World Cup next year. Thanks Dan, I'll read that out in just a moment. Stay listening if you want to know where Australia is in terms of qualification. The big game against Japan is tonight. Is tonight off the stadium. Now you would have heard Holly Edwards Smith's news report about a boost of funding to football to soccer, and Holly Edward Smith joins us now from six PR newsim Goday. Holly, good afternoon, and so just to reiterate, that's a big announcement for the Sam Curve Football Center.
Speaker 36: Yes, yeah, so the main I guess news of this press conference was four million dollars to create two new community sized pitches at the Sam Curve facility in the state's southeast that is expected to complete by early next year. And it's a mid obviously, it's a fifty plus million dollar center that they says is kind of the star of football here in Perth and in wa and they want to continue that growth, so that we're putting this extra money to create two community size pictures. But particularly with the growth in the sport and particularly in women's participation, which the Premier said has gone up thirty four percent.
Speaker 1: Yeah, massive ism.
Speaker 36: So a quick turnaround on that light suburb for us.
Speaker 1: Holly, did they mention where it is physically? Where it is?
Speaker 36: It is in Queen's Park the sam cur Center at the moment, it's about seventeen minutes from the studios here, not far at all, and you get a good look at John Hughes.
Speaker 1: Absolutely.
Speaker 36: The premier also announcing three hundred and thirty two million dollars as part of the state budget for sports infrastructure right across the state. Deputy Premier and Minister for Sports and Recreation said that there's hundreds of grants that will be available across all different types of sports and community centers, but particularly a focus on grassroots sports.
Speaker 1: Yeah, is that called the CRF fun? Does that ring a bell? Community Sports and Recreation Facilly's Fun? Did that ring a bell, Holly or is it?
Speaker 36: I think this is just more broadly on sports infrastructure. The government website does have a more detailed least of kind of the breakdowns. A billion here, twenty million?
Speaker 1: Yeah, no, sorry, a question without notice there and Rita Sefilody had a bit to say on some other matters as well, as did the premiere.
Speaker 36: Yes, certainly so. Ben knuckle boxing has been obviously a big point of debate across the community at the moment, the Deputy Premier standing by her decision to not overrule any decision by the Combat Sports Commission. It's understood their meeting today, but not entirely sure on what they'll be discussing and whether or not there'll be a change of announcement. But the Deputy Premier effectively said with the data and information she's been given, she can't differentiate between ben knuckle boxing and sports like UFC and MMA, which we've had in the state before, and said that while there might be a vocal group in the community, they are at against it, she is receiving community feedback that it's something that they support and looking forward to watching.
Speaker 1: Okay, what else did they say?
Speaker 36: Are the issues? The Pet's wa website, which we found out last week has been scrapped. The Premier couldn't answer whether or not that company had any more government contracts, but did take the question on notice. Also took on notice how much it had already been spent on that Pet's Away website, which was supposed to roll out with these new puppy farming laws, that was given nine point eight million dollars. He says that's not all been spent, but there were milestones that the company met and therefore that they have been paid for them.
Speaker 1: And just for our listeners. And this is only a rumor, right, This is just a rumor and it may or may not have substance. But the reason people keep asking Rita and Hannah Beasley, does this Seisma have any other contracts? There seems to be this notion that they're also running the portal for the firearm buyback and the firearm compensations. So that's why that question keeps coming up. We don't know. We've had a good look ourselves, and we can't see any record of Seisma on any government website having that particular tie in. So that's why our politicians keep getting usked.
Speaker 36: About their well tru me're taking that on notice. But you would hope with particular legislation that is that overreaching and that changing. Hopefully, if it's come to a facility or company like this, which the premier says the company was struggling to deliver the system, hopefully that's not the case. Because we already have heard quite a bit of contention about firearms own and struggling.
Speaker 1: The best new rules about how and how onerous, the application system is and the hand system was. She asked about e scooters Holly.
Speaker 36: Yes, certainly. E scooters was the final kind of topic of the day, the Premier and Deputy Premier supporting the decision of the City of Perth to ban hiring e scooters in that locality. The Deputy Premier acknowledging that there needs to be more campaigns about education and that a recent review into es scooters did show that there needs to be more education. We've seen in the debate some people not knowing that you're under the same rules as if you were in a car on the roads. Some people not knowing you aren't allowed to have alcohol in your system, will riding them. Obviously they're for people age sixteen and plus, but you know whether or not those are actually enforced. The Deputy Premier is saying, though, that police can breathalyze people and will, particularly with this latest case where the alleged driver who hit a pedestrian on Saturday night it was allegedly three times over the legal limit. Police will start pulling people over on scooters and breathalyzing them because they're under the same rules as if you were behind the wheel of a car.
Speaker 1: Yeah, very interesting. So you got some audio for us here Holly Rita talking about EA scooters at the press conference earlier.
Speaker 37: A significant level of compliance activity will be undertaken by the police over the upcoming week, and that is, for example, making sure the weight and the power of these East scooters haven't been modified beyond their regulations. There will be undertaking significant compliance activity in relation to the regulations. There was a review undertaken by the Road Safety Commission and also Department of Transport that didn't recommend any sort of further regulations that would prohibit these the East scooters being used, but of course, in light of the recent accidents, will continue to work across the road safety portfolio and my portfolio of how we can try and ensure we improve the safety. The reality is the regulations are in place. Fact is a lot of people aren't sticking by the law. They're not abiding by the regulations. So my view, compliance will be very very important to try and make sure the community have confidence with what's happening. Just like road rules, you know, it's the same as road rules. The real issue is, and we've all seen it, that people aren't sticking by the rules and they're creating dangerous situations for themselves and for pedestrians, and we're just seeing that there were certain set of rules provided to make sure we could roll this out safety, but there's been a heavy abuse.
Speaker 17: Of those rules.
Speaker 1: Thank you for the audio, Holly. It looks like you know we've been asking the question on the show, what does this mean for Rockingham, Bunbrie, Bustleton, Mandra where wherever counselors are hiring at lease scooters? So we'll try and keep stay on that. Thank you for bringing our listeners up to date.
Speaker 26: Thanks Bolly.
Speaker 1: Thanks Holly edwood Smith. You'll hear her reports during the course of the day. Now, Mik Carlos has just left the building and he has texted me to say we have a scooter rank out the front of our place here at six PR there are usually six scooters there, purple ones. They've gone. They have gone. They've been picked up by a bloke in a high vis vest. Thank you, Mick. Thanks for reporting in on the road reporter Mick Collis, who needs a job. Mark Irwain is the mayor of the city of Stirling. Joins us now Goaday, Mark Gooday, Simon cad I listeners, are you taking note of what the City of Perth are doing, any any move over your way to ban high scooters or at least to remove them from circulation for a while.
Speaker 17: Yeah, there's lots of things at play here, Simon, so we're certainly taking note of what's happening at the moment. There's obviously been a big media topic for the last few days and we acknowledge, you know, there's been a tragedy and our thoughts are with the family who've been affected by this. Well, several families and indeed community have been affected by this. We had no plans currently to put any further restrictions on each scooters, but we're certainly be watching how the police monitor their restrictions and how road safety I guess look at this into the future and keep dealing with it. Talked about this before, you know, from back in twenty twenty one. I think we were one of the first local governments to do trials of the e riteables, the hirible ones of these, and it was evident then the state government were fairly quick in putting on board restrictions and regulations, particularly with road use, and it's keeping up with technologies which have probably gone a lot quicker than any of us first expected. But at the present time we're comfortable that the hirable eat scooters had the best restrictions applicable and they're certainly not what are creating most of the issues. So we're seeing in the public.
Speaker 1: Realm, how many have you got in the city.
Speaker 17: Well, yeah, so two hundred and fifty scooters and they're the horrible ones of the bean ones. And to put that in perspective, so they're in the areas between Scarborough or Brighton Beach and up right up to North Beach Watermen's Bay there. Yep, they're gated, so they've got the geo fencing capabilities and they're the only ones. Obviously private ones don't have that and as we most people will remove any restrictions anyway, these ones are restricted to certain speeds and particularly through any areas such as through the Trig area. So when you get to Medame's Pool, then as you go through Trig or you go through Scarborough precincts, they're geofenps to only be able to do ten kilometers an hour. Now you put a bloke light and myself for yourself on them, Simon, you're probably struggling to get to walking pace at eight kilometers an hour. So they are allowed to open up to twenty five on the open areas and on the roads, and we may have a look at that, we may have a look at whether perhaps on paths that's restricted even further. But when you put that in perspective to the number of users on those paths, including normal bike users. E bike users know that, and I still say I reckon some of the worst users are the sixty year old blokes who've got surfboards and electric bike on the electric bikes are there worth six thousand dollars racing along forty kilometers an hour down these paths? Now the e writeable scooters in the last six month period there's twenty thousand users of those scooters, twenty thousand users of those scooters doing over forty thousand rides, so there's significant usage. And again you put that in perspective. In the city of Stirling, we've had the reports of say three minor injuries, very minor amounts, and it's not to say that tragedies can't happen, but I think it's important in these situations. Also whilst there is a tragedy and it requires a response. We've got to make sure we don't conflate every issue and try to resolve it at once. You know, and I'm sure some of your listeners have said this or had this same conversation, but if a drunk, non licensed individual jumped in a ute and put their mates in the back of a ute and had an accident, we wouldn't then take every suv off the road the next day. Like I think, it's about putting in perspective with the overall usage of this and the thing that we do know with any of these e writeables, the ones that have geofencing or that have restrictions and regulations around them are the safest of those vehicles, and it's important we have that control.
Speaker 1: Yeah, all right, still continue to chat about it and meet about it, but this stage you're happy with ten k's and congested areas that can open it to twenty five k's and you've got two hundred and fifty of them. Are there any by a scooter higher places in the city? Is are any Scarborough.
Speaker 17: Not separate to the ones that we use? I think there are some of the ones with the coinslot bikes, but not many in the city Austaily.
Speaker 1: Yeah, all right.
Speaker 17: Look, and one of the things that hasn't really been tested with these is whilst councils have a role in terms of trying to regulate them, the fact is we can't control if someone has a scooter or a bike or uses them. And I do think the fact that these companies are working with local governments to put restrictions and be sensible. They also provide, at their own costs, a lot of user awareness sessions and they have big set up displays during all of our markets on Saturday to make sure they engage.
Speaker 8: With the public on the safety issues.
Speaker 17: If we remove ourselves out of that ability to regulate them or market, there is potential they could just go rogue to some sense and start to operate anyway aside of local government. So I think it's important we maintain that control.
Speaker 1: Yeah, all right, Mark, thanks for your time. As always, thanks for talking to our listeners.
Speaker 17: Hey, can I just have a quick comment about the other thing that's been biag Have we got times on them?
Speaker 1: Yes?
Speaker 17: You do, all right, because if you read the paper to day, you think that every one of us mayors was an ego driven failed federal politician who loves boozing and eating oysters. According to the editor of The West Australian, I just wanted to put that in perspective. It's been a big story about local governments and corruption. I just want to challenge that and say that I think I'm a reasonably common sense sort of person. But to use examples where staff take out some counselors and there's a thousand dollar bill and say that it's ridiculous and they're living large X. You know, when you put that in perspective, there's possibly three or four executives in that, and I don't know the councilor he's referring to fourteen councils, three or four executive They could well have spent all day away from their families at a budget workshop or any of those sort of situations. To have a meal after that, I think passes a pub test. I think it's perfectly reasonable, and I think that, you know, staff and councilors in a local government should be allowed to eat. I just think it's probably blown a bit our of proportion. They're how to the highest.
Speaker 8: Account and the reason it is in the public realm.
Speaker 17: Is there how to the highest account of pretty well any public service in the country. Local governments have reporting standards and you know the order to process that we go through. For example, if you're worried about a council spending seventy dollars on a bottle of wine, just the auditing process that a local government costs US almost two hundred thousand dollars a year. Yeah, all right, and the right payers are paying for that as well.
Speaker 1: Yeah, all right, thank you, Mark That's yeah, that is another I'll come back to that because we're run late now. But yeah, the.
Speaker 17: Mate, I'll put your schedule off.
Speaker 1: No, no, that's all right, No, no, I'm always like having you on the show and having a chat to us. No moves on east scooters at this stage from cities stealing cheese, Mate, Marko and the mayor of the City of Silly. We'll come back in just a moment twenty two and a half minutes past. Yeah, thanks for listening in today. So the city was Stirling. Who are I think by population are our biggest council? Are not going to band scooters at this stage or the horrible scooters that's horrible, not horrible one level three A two Paul is has been looking around the joint in Rockingham a bit at scooters, could I Paul.
Speaker 7: Good as Simon l a good thank you?
Speaker 23: Yeah, no, listening to your program when I do. When I'm home, just going for a drive down the Rocky Foreshore from Wells Park through the Rocky Fall Shore. I've just gone past Pingos. Usually you see those these scooters littered everywhere. Yeah, not one to be seen anywhere.
Speaker 1: Yeah right, So that's that's near garden iem peinga penguin island. So Peingo's folks is nies. We're the ferry crosses for pengos. And there's none through.
Speaker 23: There, nothing there, even the Rocky Foreshore. Sometimes you've seen down getting up down at Wells Park in Serana and I'm not coming towards Mike and Keeway. Not any scooter to be swing. Usually got those purple ones there.
Speaker 1: Everywhere, the bean ones. Yeah all right, so none at all reckon do you reckon a weather thing or.
Speaker 23: Nah, they're out there all the time. I usually stay for a drive to keep me yet and just drop drive along for shore and he's seen dumped everywhere, but I'm not going to be seen.
Speaker 1: Yeah, all right, thank you, Paul, thanks for letting us know, mate jeess Paul from so that stretch from Quanana all along past the Grain Terminal, through Rockingham, sort of around past Point Pairing and through pingos So that Showwater Bay and through to Waikiki. No purple scooters. We are trying to get hold of the handling the mare to see if Rockingham have pulled their scooters as well. What will bumbydo, Busselton do? What will Freo do? Wherever there are higher scooters given the fatality of Saturday night allegedly mobile scooter horrible rider riding v pedestrian and the question has has passed away? Has come to their injuries?
Speaker 7: Hi Michael, oh, Hi, you know, I'd.
Speaker 30: Just like to mention with the scooters. I looked at the first ones, the stirm and got, and they are really heavy. They are like massively heavy, and they look dangerous to me when I looked at them. I am a scooter writer by a writer, just my private one which is a lot lighter. But yeah, I still think the scooters they've got they're just too heavy, and you see them on the footpaths and kids are not really looking where they're going, and even though they're not going that fast. Because of the weight of them, they could cause an enormous amount of damage.
Speaker 1: So Regnan, it's the design and the weight of them could be.
Speaker 30: It could be the way you have a look at them, they're just the weight is unbelievable. You can't hardly lift them.
Speaker 1: Yeah, all right, all right, cheers, Michael, thank you. That's interesting. You haven't heard that before. So we are talking about high scooters, folks. This one here from David. David e ridables are coming due to the cities globally being high congested and our governments are held bent on huge populations. Time to give up on banning everything, please, can't deal with the amount of laws already pass and judges let them out the doors anyway. So David's concern about sentencing in leniency in sentencing. This one here from Paul. Paul, Sorry not Paul, this is this is George in Mandra. The George a couple of the rules for EA scooters that people need to be over sixteen or wear a helmet. I see people daily in Manadra under sixteen and not wearing helmets. So policing seems to be non existent, and that you know, John and that is the probably the major issues, and how do you stop people from getting on board these things when they've had a skinful, you know, particularly with the riotables. Now this is a temporary measure from the City of Perth. They've picked all the scooters up today. There were six in front of our joint this morning out on the road. They've all gone and this is temporary at this stage. Helen says, why should the WA Combats Sports Mission, sorry Combat Sports Commission have to say on Bare knuckle Box the government has the powder banner, just do so, I reckon they are, Helen, this was always going to happen, this fight. As we said yesterday in the last couple of days on the show, will police also be charging underage e scooter riders as well as breath testing? The law is too difficult to comply with at the moment. All scooter riders should be over sixteen, regardless of their power. Thank you, Helen, absolutely spot on today. So you may have heard that the Tasmanian government they've had a no confidence motion expressed on them and this is obviously highly political, but it also goes to the budget and the amount of money there could be potentially spending on the new stadium, the AFL stadium. So this is an issue of extra of high importance to the Tasmanians and the Tasmanian government. This may mean that we may not get the Tasmanian AFL team. After all. Here is Brendan Gale, the CEO of the Tazzy Devils. Brendan spoke to Tom Elliott this morning on the three A W and this is what Brendan go I had to say.
Speaker 22: Well, no, it's not the end of the stadium.
Speaker 38: Look that the stadium has continued upon allegacy. Process through Parliament is to go through both houses of Parliament, and I guess to deal with the stadium is between the AFL and the Government of Tasmania. So look, if there's a if Jeremy survives, it's on course. If there's a change in leadership and the governments in place, well it's on course. I guess The challenge for the stadium and both stands of the team is if there's an election. I mean that pushed our timelines could be changing government, composition to parliament changes and there's all those risks which would place the stadium and hence the team at some risk. Our responsibility is to build a club and our club is distance has continued upon the stadium and that is between the AFL and and obviously the Tasmanian government.
Speaker 6: So look, you know there are some obligations.
Speaker 22: Around time and delivery of the infrastructure, and those timelines would put at risk and so there would be some we're to go to an election, there would be some nervousness from the AFL. I would think that that would be up to them.
Speaker 1: To a pine on that, to a pine on that. So it's Brendan Gale speaking to our man Tom Elliot, who is the host of the morning show on three AW. That was Brendan Gale's speaking to him this morning. So we are I think we're still awaiting the outcome of the no confidence motion. This is a parliamentary process as well, and bias nature a political process. So the parliament in Tazzy continues to debate the no confidence motion in the premiere and that of course is around budget, budget expenditure and expenser on the stadium. So you may recall I don't think the AFL tipped any money into our stadium whatsoever, and that's what the AFL does. We'll give you a license for clubs in your city, but you've got to build a stadium using your own rate payers money. We will come back after these and have a chat to you.
Speaker 7: Robin.
Speaker 1: I will talk to you in just a second. Thanks for your telephone call. It is twenty seven minutes to one o'clock.
Speaker 39: Still dealing with that chuck breakdown on Quanana Freeway northbound exit to Leech Highway westbounded Bateman. The left hand turner lane is blocked there. We've now got a crash on the Mitchell Freeway northbound exit to Charles Street and West Perth reduced to a single lane with the police on site.
Speaker 1: Traffic heavy on approach.
Speaker 39: So heading up the Mitchell this afternoon northbound at the moment Narrows Bridge through to the site of the crash. No delays on the Quanana Grain Farmer north Bridge Tunnel or the city. I'm Bruce Well from Perth's traffic leader six PR.
Speaker 2: Let's take pause.
Speaker 1: Let's go to our newsroom here at six PR. Good afternoon, John.
Speaker 40: Nichols, thank you, Simon, Good afternoon. The City of Perth has suspended the hiring of East scooters while investigations continue into Saturday night's fatal incident. Deputy Lord Mayor Bruce Reynolds says about five hundred scooters are now disabled. They're being collected from the streets while a final decision is made. Lithium iron batteries have been blamed for two house fires in Perth overnight. Investigators say a fire that broke out in the garage of a two story home in Hall's Head about half past nine was sparked by a loose battery, and a home in Spear Would's been destroyed by fire because of a power tool's lithium iron battery that was on charge, also in a garage. More than one hundred edged weapons have been confiscated around Perth under new laws allowing police to conduct random, non invasive scans. Since December, police have conducted more than fifty thousand searches in knife wanding areas including Perth and Northbridge. Eagles forward Jamie Cripps says putting his hand up for selection for Sunday's clash with North Melbourne. He had minut knee surgery following West Coast's win in round ten, but it's whether twenty degrees at the moment. Showers clearing today eight overnight partly cloudy and nineteen tomorrow there'll be more news.
Speaker 2: At one, thank you John, John not just before we get to Nichols Niche you are going to squeeze in a core for a robin if we may get a robin?
Speaker 20: Yeah, gotay s And look I live in Wenby down so city is Stirling And apart from the fact that these things are just dangerous, they're just littered everywhere on the ground, on corners, on roundabouts. Every morning you get up, drive down the beach front for a coffee and they're a mess. But a bigger issue assignment, I think evolving e bikes now. The other day I was driving down the boulevard in Floria, heading towards the florioad Forum. Four or five kids on e bikes or standing wheelis, on their back wheels, no helmets. I'm fourteen fifteen year olds driving as fast as the traffic all over the road like a little little gang of posse of young people. Control what day. It would have been nine to thirty in the morning, ten o'clock and they were on the footpath on the road on either side of the road. These things should be banned. These things are a danger not only to them but to other people. They're driving as fast as cars. No, almost nothing.
Speaker 1: Yeah, all right, Ron, thank you mate, We do appreciate you.
Speaker 2: Cool.
Speaker 1: Thank you. So that's a take on the city of Serving. I live in the city of Sterling. I don't see them littering the roads. Maybe just where I am you do see them, but I mean they stop people half off of them. When their money runs out, they stop and they can leave them there. They should leave them on their stands. Obviously one of our listeners, I think it's Jamie who's standing Bumbrey says Hi, Jamie, they are GPS GEO locked in Bumbray. You can't hire a scoodiny of the estuary in Bumbray because idiots throw them in. Same with council parks near pond. So I didn't know that, Jamie. Thank you. Certainly the story of the last few days giving them fatality. On the weekend, it is eighteen and a half minutes to one.
Speaker 41: Let's do this and now the fourth most talented musician in his family news reader extraordinary, for they are of condiments and small goods. While watching the bath first one thousand wear of a beetle shirt every Friday, but named his Pug after David Bowie, lover of Volkswagen golfs and peak spokesperson for the Madagascan radiated tortoise community. It's John Nichols presenting Nichols.
Speaker 1: Niche Grade intro, probably one of our longest intros, befitting the occasion, I think today, John, thank you, Simon. Yes, absolutely, Nichols Niche. What do you have for us today?
Speaker 40: Well, today, like last time, I'm going to be celebrating the sixtieth anniversary of an iconic song. Last time it was sixty years ago since Paul McCartney wrote the lyrics to Yesterday. And today it's the sixtieth anniversary of the release of this classic single.
Speaker 1: Great song. Absolutely Banger yep, total bang did set fair nickam.
Speaker 40: Banger one percent and as far as I can per banger yes finished okayah, as far as I can tell it sixty years because there's a little bit of uncertainty about whether it was yesterday, today or tomorrow that's the sixtieth anniversary, or it's released in the United States. I fed this into Google. We have a special account with Google and we can get it to do important things like this and it spat out a seven page report on the vext question of when the single of Satisfaction came out anyway, because it's Nichols niche day, I'm going to say it was sixty years ago today, June the fourth.
Speaker 1: In the seventh page report, wasn't offendive on the day?
Speaker 40: No, No, it said no, it couldn't really come down on one particular version. Next that says today, Yeah, yeah, what was I going to say? It'll come to me anyway. The song was written as it was a dream by Keith Richards he Reckons. He reckons. He got up one morning he saw that his cassette machine, and remember cassette machines were pretty high tech and fancy back in sixty five. He noticed that the cassette machine by his bed had gone all the way to the end, but he couldn't remember recording anything. So he rewinds the tape and has a listen. He hears himself getting up in the middle of the night. He plays the intro to I can't get No Satisfaction, and then there's half an hour of him snoring. So that's how we remembered his song. Mitt Jagger apparently wrote the lyrics sitting by the pool in Florida just days before they recorded it. They had a couple of goes at recording it. One was at Chess Studios, the famous studios in America. They had a more folksy version with Brian Jones playing harmonica. Then they decided to re record it at RCA Studios with Keith plugging his guitar into a fuzzbox and that is the icon next sound of satisfaction. But he just intended it as a placeholder.
Speaker 2: He said, this is.
Speaker 40: Where the horns will come in, and the producer said, nap, Actually, that'll probably do.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 1: The producer was right there.
Speaker 40: They never know when they've recorded a number one classic hit because it was originally going to be a B side or an album filler, but eventually they decided to put it out as a single. It was their first American number one.
Speaker 1: You do hear a lot, don't you.
Speaker 2: We didn't realize at the time a lot of bands, so looking back, we had no idea.
Speaker 40: How did that become the single? Yeah, that was that even released. We just thought, yep, it's just another song, Divo, whip it another classic.
Speaker 2: Yep.
Speaker 40: They didn't think that was much.
Speaker 1: Take it Easy by the Eagles. Jackson Brown said, I can't do anything with this. Here you Go. It's the first song on their Greatest Hits album, There You Go. Nichols Niece continues, Yes, so.
Speaker 40: This is actually connected to the previous item because the fuzzbox that Keith used was a Gibson Maestro f said fuzz tone pedal, which sold out by the end of nineteen sixty five because everyone wanted to sound like Kief. But here's another Gibson related story.
Speaker 35: I can't guess you guys are ready for that.
Speaker 33: Yeah, but your kids are gonna love it.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 23: Yeah.
Speaker 2: That's Michael J.
Speaker 40: Fox at the end of his special solo Shredding appearance on stage at the Enchantment under the Sea Dance in Back to the Future.
Speaker 1: Good reference job.
Speaker 40: Yeah, well, thank you. That was a Gibson ES three forty five. I don't know if you're familiar, but there's a worldwide search for that particular guitar because again Back to the Future, they didn't know it was going to be a classic movie. They didn't intend to make a sequel. But when they decided to make the sequel and they had to go back to nineteen fifty five, and re enact that scene. They had to find the same guitar and they couldn't find it. It's been missing ever since.
Speaker 2: To this day, to this day.
Speaker 40: So what happened is they decided, let's do a documentary about this, and this is where it gets a bit suss, starting a glow coble search. It's called Lost to the Future. There's a website, there's a YouTube page and everything. Michael J. Fox is in on this, along with Christopher Lloyd, Lea Thompson, Harry Waters Junior. He's the guy who played Chuck Berry's cousin yep and thereby helped invent rock and roll. And they're just calling for people to give hints. You know, someone must have it, blah blah blah. And they're making a documentary about it.
Speaker 1: Excellent.
Speaker 40: Yeah, but I reckon, if you're going to make a documentary about it, you probably know how it's going to end. I'm just saying that, Yeah, I reckon, it's going to turn up.
Speaker 1: They're going to find it. Yeah, I love that story. That's unreal. We talk about rats a little bit on the program yep and Rodents yep.
Speaker 40: Yeah, Welsh researchers. They're using glitter so they can track the movements of water voles, which are little rodents, a bit bigger than a rat, bit smaller than a quacker. They're pretty cute, but they're in dangered and they're being offered food covered in edible glitter in the hope that conservationists will be able to track their movement in the wild because the glitter should come out and they're pooh, and they will be able to track the little mammals like that. Different colors of glitter would be used to allow experts to track different families of water voles and how far they move and what they get up to.
Speaker 1: I think that's nice. That's nice. That's nice. I think that's nice. To John, John, thank you very much. You're welcome and Stella installment of Nichols Niche today. Love the story about the doggo on the guitar and John's reasonably confident the guitar is going to turn up. Thank you John.
Speaker 2: Okay, thank you.
Speaker 7: Rich.
Speaker 1: You'll hear John reading news throughout Perth Life Today with Oliver Peterson. We'll come back in just a moment if you want to call in one double three a daddy two. Yeah, just a reminder our call of the day today can win a family pizza night with some garlic bread and a peach of your choosing all beautiful home produce. It's the new home Slice up in Mindari rung by Liam. Liam's only a young guy and he's offered up our call of the Day prize for the entirety of this week. World on to Liam. So it's in Mindari. It's called home Slice. Jacko's two for tonight. So Glen Jakovich has a tip for our Thursday night footy which would be a great game actually, the Bulldogs versus Hawthorne at Marvel Hawthorne looking for redemption after a poor couple of weeks, and the Bullies could be anything or beat anybody, couldn't they Big Glen Jakovitch tonight has tipped the Bulldogs by twenty one points. Jacko will join us for sport tomorrow with his tips for the rest of the round. I'll bring you up to date with a yes no poll as well about judicial sentencing.
Speaker 42: Hi, Susan I, Hello Simon, how are you good?
Speaker 1: Thank you?
Speaker 42: I'm just bringing out the same as probably a lot of your other callers have rung. As far as the scooters Golow, but just an incident that happened to myself and my husband. We were walking along the citys Stirling. We were walking along Beaufort Street going towards Englewood area, so it was actually a City of Sterling area, and we were both holding hands walking on the roots. There's cleenty of room on the other side of footpath for anyone to have passed us. But this scooter with two of them on eared went right between us and the road virtually.
Speaker 24: And how that we did both.
Speaker 42: Of it and get knocked over. It's a real shock surprise, but I would have done a lot of damage as well.
Speaker 4: You see.
Speaker 42: Yeah, then the of Stirling it's the same with all the counts. Looks like they've got to come hard.
Speaker 4: Down on these scooters.
Speaker 1: Was it a black one, Susan, like a privately owned one you reckon? Was it going fast?
Speaker 18: It was? It was a.
Speaker 42: Privately owned one and it was going fast.
Speaker 6: Yeah.
Speaker 42: Yeah, they didn't stop it with two girls. They would have stopped if we had it pulled on over.
Speaker 1: Yeah, Okay, all right, Susan, I'm glad you're okay, glad you're safe still, but that's yeah, look we're getting look getting a lot of told you so from our listeners who predicted this that they would they are dangerous, they would be dangerous and something serious would happen. Getting a lot of correspondence on that today. Oliver's are on between one and five today with Perth Live. So make sure you're listening to Oli. Heud probably be talking to a lot of my friends. For my friends, people who started out on our show doing different things, you know, finance technology. I'll you be talking to my mates for four hours after only joking. It's in career best form. Make sure we listen to Perth Live today. Jacko's tip just to repeat twenty one points for the bullies tonight. One double three eight eighty two is the number. Olive Peterson joins us now Hello Oliver, Hello Simon, how are you? Yeah?
Speaker 22: Good?
Speaker 1: You're talking to any of my friends today?
Speaker 43: I've just been Trevorlong yep, some now longer a friend, Jamie Burnett yep.
Speaker 1: Former friends, yep, all your friends? You get my kids on?
Speaker 43: Is Mick Collis ready to come back after.
Speaker 1: Yeah? No, no, Hazel Beaumont, shit be on. They say you're not supposed to be friends with your kids.
Speaker 2: Yeah, they do.
Speaker 1: I'm friends with that one. Yeah he's a ripper.
Speaker 43: Yeah yeah, But I think you know how it's funny you say that because you know, we get so much advice out with his parents.
Speaker 2: But I was watching something.
Speaker 43: The other day. We don't have to give a justification for why we say no as parents, and we feel these days you do. And it's not because we don't want to tell our kids that they can't do something.
Speaker 1: It's for their own best interests. Okay, And I think that's a bit true.
Speaker 43: You know, when I was growing up, can you do this? No, didn't ask why. It's just like, okay, that's just the decision.
Speaker 1: This sounds like Carl Baron's kit. Stop, don't go any further and more flies, he'd go.
Speaker 2: I suppose I've seen Carl Barrion in a while.
Speaker 1: No, I haven't what you got for us, mate.
Speaker 43: So this afternoon, Bowie, we will be having a chat about the flag, of all things, the Australian flag. New survey out showing most people like the flag, so we when I was trying to scratch the surface on that one. We'll also have a chat about the ridiculous fees a lot of specialists are charging patience and why the private health insurers in our coming out saying, hold on a minute, you need to do something about this because it's just so damn expensive. It costs more than the actual broken leg itself. So we're going to scratch into that issue this afternoon. And what's your beef? We can win a Tory butcher Tomahawk's steak?
Speaker 1: How good? How good? So good? So good? Is the Are you concerned with sentencing from the judicial system at the moment? Given the Nick Campo situation yesterday, Oliver, you have the final word, but yes is a sixty three the nose nine? Yes, you're a yes?
Speaker 2: Yes?
Speaker 1: All right? Thank you mate? Any mate? Chap Wonder five Perth Life today, Tune in listening, call him, We'll come back. We let you know who's one call of the day A very very strong response. Our list is not happy with the leniency of the sentences. They're seeing. How good Genesis it's coming up to good Hey, Jimmy, love it, love it me too. So our call of the day today is Nicole, who rang in about giving money to people. Thank you, Nicole. You want a family pizza night from home? Slice in Mindari and so home Slice cafe in pizza bar. Actually they're in Mindari. Two pizzas, garlic bread, your choice of soft drink in house or pick up. Thanks to Liam at Home Slice, young bloke doing his best up in Mindari rip a menu artisan pizzas and sides using local produce. Home Slice him Mindari. Don't have a look, go and check them out. I know I will on the show tomorrow. Glenn Jackovich looking footy sport on Life, Barnsey's Burnout tomorrow. Lisa Barnes from the Burbs and Merse back with his Magile Mystery Tour. Thanks for today, been a big show. Thanks for being part of it. Make sure you keep it on six pur Tsavo and right through twenty four hours a day, seven days a week if you can. And we'll allie up next with Perth Live