Speaker 1: Insideline back for another week. Justin Harrison, Matt, Rogersy and Peyton in the house just quickly, big big day for Queensland, New South Wales. Obviously that other code sate of Origent. Good well done on wearing a little tinge of our own today.
Speaker 2: Well I knew that my little boyfriend was coming on, so I want to give him a stomach to cry on. I can't say shot it because he comes up at it.
Speaker 3: I did not know.
Speaker 1: I did not know you were such a proud Queenslander. You have warmed my heart today. But let's talk some big news in the world of rugby and a story written by our VERIONI and Peyton which is out today. That Golden Point or super Point as we know it in Super Rugby Pacific is being looked at as a possibility of being included in the British and Irish Lines tour Australia this year.
Speaker 4: Well, it surprised me that it's actually taken this long to kind of come up really, So obviously the twenty seventeen series was a drawer, and you know the captains were there both looking a bit po faced and the.
Speaker 3: Sharing the series.
Speaker 4: So I mean it was just a matter of asking whether you know whether golden point would be employed for this year series got onto field Wall yesterday said yes, they've had conversations with the lines about and making sure that there's a chance for a winner to be found obviously.
Speaker 2: So.
Speaker 4: It's they've put that forward to the to the Lions, waiting on an answer back.
Speaker 3: Essentially, it would be for all three tests.
Speaker 4: It's kind of been it's been read into that it was just the third test, so it would be for all three tests. I think the model around the Super Rugby one, which is a period of ten minutes and then if there's no result, it's a draw.
Speaker 1: I think first point score any in any.
Speaker 4: And I know you've got thoughts about that, but essentially, I guess you don't want to game the first test going for one hundred and twenty minutes, you know what I mean, so with another two tests to play, so that's to be a cut off point at sometimes maybe.
Speaker 2: The third I want to go.
Speaker 4: The third test, the third test you just play for three days if you need, until you find a winner. I think it's common sense, isn't it, Like we're in the modern sporting games.
Speaker 5: But the fact that they were talking about just having it for the game three. What if they draw the first game, British and Irish lines win the second, and then Australia win the third in golden point.
Speaker 4: Like no, no, it's not sorry. Lack of communication now on my part is not just for it.
Speaker 3: It'd be for all three, so you would have a winner for each, which would makes.
Speaker 2: Sense to the winners. Ask every losing team in a super point scenario where they agree with it after having lost the jeopardy of that is not insignificant a big series like that to be decided on a golden on a super point.
Speaker 5: Or is that like instantly golden point or super point whatever they're calling it.
Speaker 1: You mean if you kick a penalty, Yeah, instantly.
Speaker 4: They're not having extra time first, they don't do that these days. Well certainly what are they doing in the world In the World Cup? They do do still an extra period of like.
Speaker 6: Five each way and then go into golden point.
Speaker 1: I would probably prefer that, like have an extra time.
Speaker 5: Five each way and then if you can't get it, it's like they have extra time in soccer, and then if they can't get result, let's go to penalties. I think then you can win the game under I guess game type situations. What I found in Golden Point, things get a bit all over the shop and refines they're not inclined to you know, there's people cheating though, there's people cheating throughout a whole game trying to get an advantage.
Speaker 6: But in Golden Point, you know.
Speaker 5: It gets exposed because the referee is not blowing the whistle. Things get brought up. It becomes conjecture around the game. There's controversy, controversy around the win, the loss, and it just puts a bad spin on the game. I think they need extra time first before they get a Golden Point.
Speaker 1: Do you think with a series of this magnitude it kind of have to have a winner at the end of the day, justin.
Speaker 2: But the idea of a horn match and not having not a Grand Five of a World Cup, those sorts of things. Series games a series three games series. Sometimes there is merit in a drawn series because of the notion of the three games. It's such a close contest. Both teams come away with an amount of integrity but also validity in their performance.
Speaker 5: So the people that hold the shield.
Speaker 2: The commerciality of from twelve, the commerciality of being the British and Ice Lions champion as opposed to I.
Speaker 4: Just don't I mean, I take the point, but I just don't see why we're squeamish about fronting a winner.
Speaker 3: You play eighty minutes.
Speaker 2: Losing, right, so I guess, you know, be a champion or not.
Speaker 3: There are some hairs on it, like to your point.
Speaker 4: And yours right that referees arm could decide the series like he spots them. So yeah, there might be some there might be some fanangling around that, but I don't know. I just don't say it because it's already coming out now, Like there's there's a lot of people who are just habitually kind of conservative in the North, people from we don't want to you know, why can't we just have a drawn series. I heard someone say you don't always have to have a winner, and it's like, what are we playing here for?
Speaker 1: You know?
Speaker 2: Look, I think I think extra I think World Cup model. It's fine, extra time and frequent.
Speaker 4: I know that at the risk of bringing up some painful memories that two thousand and three World Cup. Obviously it was getting to a point where like Johnny almost did as a favor in in resolving it right, because otherwise we're going to another Is there another.
Speaker 1: In this could be.
Speaker 2: Less than too many?
Speaker 3: Let me let me finish.
Speaker 4: Let me finish my point because eventually, if you guys had to battle it out and you got to goal kicks, like, how how dissatisfying would that be?
Speaker 3: If you're lost in goal kicks, Regin, you know what I mean?
Speaker 2: But you losing goal kicks for a golden point. If someone kicks a penalty, yeah, that's a goal kick. So at least you've got you've got a bit of a play out there. You've got so football r you have for penalty shootouts, there's a bit of intrigue. We know there's an immediacy of feedback when you score, but there's still a red white dot scenario that gives you a chance to either accelerate skill to take that point. But yeah, I think that's probably the most exotic convenience solution. Adopt the World Cup model because, by the way, all nations that are playing in the British ice lines and Australia have already accepted that that model is acceptable in the World Cup, So why would you not accept that? For a British I need to invent something new here. This is just inheriting what's already been in practice since nineteen eighty seven.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I think that's a really good point. What's the likelihood paid? Are you getting a sense of how likely this gets approved?
Speaker 2: No?
Speaker 3: I mean obviously Rugby Australia.
Speaker 2: How would have been to see a penalty shootout in British ice lines at the end of the thing?
Speaker 1: I would I would love James Slipper astead up?
Speaker 3: Oh god, person, I don't know.
Speaker 4: I'd rather I'd rather it's resolved in a footy in a footy game.
Speaker 2: Accidental slip, accidental clean out, head high penalty, go on, have a high tackle framework. Now the fragility contest in the escort line, there's a collapse scrum.
Speaker 1: Yeah, you don't like the golden point or super point.
Speaker 2: I like the super point, but I think the fragility of how you can you can end the British nice line series. On the back of some interpretations now and tmos reaching in and all sorts of different things, I think that the best and first representation is multiple chances, an extra time, multiple chances in a penalty shootout. It's already in play with World Cup let's get on.
Speaker 1: Yeah, there's some resistance that you hinted that is it time you reckon?
Speaker 3: Look, I don't know.
Speaker 4: I just think that golden point if you're looking at from a fans perspective, like finishing it in a footy sense, rightly or wrongly, you know, if it's a penalty.
Speaker 3: Or whatever, that that's I don't. I don't know. I don't.
Speaker 4: I don't want to see props kicking goals to decide a World Cup or a line series.
Speaker 3: You know, like it just doesn't feel right.
Speaker 2: Matt Dunning knocked over a goal, losing the game against winning game. It's the most replayed, compelling piece of content we've ever seen.
Speaker 5: Yeah, compelling, the greatest movie.
Speaker 3: As far as the actual I don't know.
Speaker 4: Rugby Australia obviously put it forward, so there came for it to happen. I don't know the model about, you know, whether it'd be that super point the ten minutes and then it's a draw.
Speaker 3: Maybe this a draw is still on the table.
Speaker 4: I just like the idea that, you know, the two teams can if it's a draw at the end of eighty minutes, the two teams can keep battling until you find a winner.
Speaker 2: You know to be a revelation, why don't you ask the players, because that's how we got to super point. Players were involved in the discussion in the players because we're talking about integrity of competition and we want player attention and we want them to stick around and playing competitions and gets pass the playoffs.
Speaker 1: You think you think the Aussie side at least would support it, given that they That's how we landed on time point.
Speaker 2: Sometimes you don't know, you don't know. It's the feedback from players is wide and varied, and it's it's commensarate, it's time stamped and it's right, So you know that would be a good one.
Speaker 1: We have seen that the North and that's a very broad brush, but the North have been slow to move on some law changes but fans and the fans yet fair enough, let's do a pole. But we we have seen that they've there's slowly been an acceptance of the twenty minute red card because that PATO has been approved to be applied during the Lion series.
Speaker 4: So that the global the trial a loose track a we're up to is still in a trial stage. I think that's been extended to a Global Trial, So all competitions after August one, this is what they decided at the World Rugby meetings. All competitions will now be under the twenty minute red card. That obviously leaves that left the line series. Just prior to that, Lions and RA agreed with each other that they would also come under that troll.
Speaker 3: So yes, the twenty minute red card will be used.
Speaker 1: Can I can I throw a hypothetical at here? I've open this to everyone because that Global Trial was to start on the first of August. The third test is on the second of August. Right if the Lions organization had knocked back not agreed with Rugby Australia having twenty minute red card applied to this series, could hypothetically Rugby Australia going well for the third test.
Speaker 2: You can't.
Speaker 1: You've got no saying it. It's going to be in oh.
Speaker 5: Guess so yeah, if you're a calendar watcher, that might have been a catalyst to them agree.
Speaker 6: No, we don't. We don't want to have an egg on our faith.
Speaker 5: But that is one of the smartest moves Rugby I've ever done, and other codes need to get on board with it because the amount of people that are invested, be it fans, sponsors, organizations.
Speaker 6: It just you keep the integrity of the game.
Speaker 5: Yeah, you get punished, you're without to play for twenty minutes, but you get parody then after twenty minutes, and.
Speaker 6: You know, it's something that other codes need to look at because it's a very smart move.
Speaker 2: Well, the criticism is that the lens is applied commercially first before it's applied to changing player behavior and play welfare and diminishing the validity of a red card, so that let's have a look at that. It's not doing that. It's not diminishing the validity of a red card and promoting the possibility of having a thug who has instruction to run onto the field take the star player out with an elbow to the head in a malicious act and not be penalized for it, nor the team, nor the environment. And that's not true. Referees still have an ability to give a red card that is final, that is, the full force of the red card is still in play. We are not substituting or the game is not substituting a red card for a twenty minute diminished. Yes, that's right. So the referee still has a decision to make there. The argument is now that referees are reluctant to go to that card because they have a bit of a handbreak in the TMO Safety's own and with sort of I feel like referees need to be given some encouragement to represent themselves and accept that there's going to be mistakes made onto the analysis of a team a so red card. I think it's a great exotic solution around sanctioning a team for a period of time not diminishing the integrative of the result and the intensity of the performance for all sorts of reasons other than just commerciality safety issues. You've got the full scrum, full functioning line out malls. You've got players who are not under more fatigued than the other because they're down a man for seventy minutes instead of just fifteen. Those sorts of things come into it as well. So the twenty minute red card makes sense. You still have a player on a red card not able to come back on and face the judiciary, possibly receive further sanctions.
Speaker 1: It's as good mentioned before when I said that the North slow to adapt change sometimes includes the fans as well. There is quite a strong stance on red cards and the debate over twenty minute red card from fans of Northern Hemisphere rugby. This was approved by the World Rugby Council. How's how's it being received from you know, the rugby supporters in the North fine.
Speaker 4: I think, as you've pointed out, like they've got used to it and they've seen the merit in it. I think there's just a fear of the unknown, and it's kind of like a chicken little stuff, you know, like, oh, if you do that, then the game's going to go and it's you know, maybe by extension the golden point idea might grow on them as well, you know, like.
Speaker 2: The question for you, yeah, do you reckon it's because of the optics, because red red it's too confusing. People are having short outs.
Speaker 4: What about yeah right, yeah, well that's a good recon Yeah yeah, yeah, yeah, welcome.
Speaker 2: I want to ask you to think the optics. The optics of red red hang and I'm confused. I can't follow the rules. I think it's too drop out. I don't want to know.
Speaker 3: I think it's relief that makes sense to your belief structure.
Speaker 4: Whether you still think people are trying to get away with something right like that, that there are still people who will go onto the field and try and intentionally take out the five to eight, you know, like I think that those days are gone, and you've got to accept that most red cards are the result of recklessness or an accident.
Speaker 3: Yeah, and so.
Speaker 4: Therefore to blow a whole game up over, Yes, absolutely, those people need punishing, and you are trying to drive change at a training ground level where it's like, let's all get our tackle heights lower. So, but you don't need to be punished for sixty five minutes. You can be punished with twenty minutes, and then the game just.
Speaker 3: Keeps going like it.
Speaker 5: Yeah, the days of someone being centered on the field to take a player out, but the game's too hard, The game's too hard to put someone in to go out and do that, to punish your team, to punish the player, the sanctions that go on beyond the game for that player.
Speaker 6: It's just not I don't see it in the game anywhere.
Speaker 2: In a game. Your teammates are indiot. You know, I would shoe blokes in my own team if they gave away a penalty the next right, Absolutely.
Speaker 1: We discussed shoeing you threatened to shoe me all the.
Speaker 2: Reason I think so much because shoeing my own teammates.
Speaker 3: You're too busy.
Speaker 1: Well, I will say this, don't give away a penalty, Okay, I will say this.
Speaker 4: And to square the circle is that the punishment has to come afterwards, right, and you've spoken about this cool is that the disciplinary part has to be where the hammer falls and we're just not necessarily seeing that with consistency, right.
Speaker 1: I wouldn't be surprised. I'll throw be devil's advocate here if there's a conspiracy from fans in the North that we've pushed for this, We being Australia, have pushed for this because we have some plan up our sleeve to to take the first five minutes or to be perfect.
Speaker 4: Honest, I think this one's just flying by without a bat at island, you know, like it's kind of the twenty minute red card got using the six nations. Six nations went fine, world didn't fall in. I think they've all moved.
Speaker 6: On from that.
Speaker 1: Well we should move on to because there's some big news in recent days that a World Club Cup has I'm going to use air quotes here been approved to take place in twenty twenty eight and will occur every four years after that. The basic details are it will include sixteen teams, eight of them from the Champions couple from the UK and Europe, seven from Super Rugby and one from Japan. But is everyone on board, Pato, like, is this actually going to happen in twenty twenty eight?
Speaker 2: Not yet.
Speaker 4: I think there's a general enthusiasm for something like this to happen.
Speaker 3: So it's been.
Speaker 4: Discussed for decades that the World Club Challenge could get off the ground. So the news over the weekend was that the EPRC, who run the Champions Cup and essentially you know it's it's over the USC the top fourteen English Premiership, they had agreed that they like it.
Speaker 3: They want to move ahead with the proposal.
Speaker 1: Agreed over proven all were good there, we're all good.
Speaker 4: So Super Rugby and uh, you know, I think there's the proposal includes a club from Japan.
Speaker 3: Need to still we have this sign off and again.
Speaker 4: Spoke to Phil war yesterday said like, the concept, you know, I could have could be drive some good commercial outcomes, but you know they've got to figure out how to fit it all in right, and.
Speaker 1: Do you that's the hard but without firstly getting into the how does it work?
Speaker 2: Stuff?
Speaker 3: Do you like that?
Speaker 6: I love it?
Speaker 3: Love it?
Speaker 1: Love? What do you love it?
Speaker 3: That was what it does.
Speaker 5: I remember we back in my league days, we had a thing called the World Club Challenge during the Super League where you know the Kronola Sharks. We toured over to the UK and we played against We played against Bradford, we played against Saint Helen's.
Speaker 6: I was a young player.
Speaker 5: I wasn't playing rep footy at the time, and that that experience for me just opened my eyes. I thought it made me a better footballer, seeing different environments, playing against different styles of play, and what it can do for young players is enormous who haven't quite made it that next step.
Speaker 6: To the representative level.
Speaker 5: Playing in a great club side opened their eyes up to the world, opened their eyes up to different types of training, different types of play, and I think it can only benefit I think on a whole. You know, you look at like the UAA Champions League. You know that the best teams in soccer getting together and playing it. It's huge, it becomes it's massive. I guess the challenge with rugby, it's so it's spread so far Apart that, just trying to find the time and how it all works and does it interfere with you know, the Rugby Championship, does an interfere with Super Rugby?
Speaker 6: How they put it all together. That's going to be the challenge.
Speaker 5: But in terms of it as a competition, I would love nothing more than to see, you know, the best Australian team up against the best English team or the best French team or you know, at a club level and to be able to finally bury the hatchet once a year of who is the best rugby maying hemisphere?
Speaker 6: Is it the North or is it the South? Of course it's the South, but we'll never.
Speaker 1: Know, isn't Isn't that what the Nations Cup is going to do? Decide that it's interesting?
Speaker 2: Is well? Rugby is trying to find windows and opportunities to create market events, to move away from novelty events, right respectfully? World Club Challenge a bit of a development model. Hey guys, do you want to get a passport? What's that thing? Let's play nur l. We'll go and understand foreign exchange and you know different what you have with with rugby is this international? And you to correct Northeast South competition. Timing the governance model making this a marquee event needs to be a competition, so that means it needs a time frame inside a year that's full to have a series of opportunities for teams to play against each other, into a finals, into a Grand Final situation, out a trophy that's worth holding. The timing of it once every four years after the World Cup, lots of Maco issues to decide, which I won't put us all to sleep with funding, who's going to fund it, how is it going to be compelling to be funded, and what level of funding of club's going to be compensated for for giving up something clearly. And giving up something clearly in Super Rugby means moving the Super Rugby season forward, probably earlier start in the year, a different type of structure for that once every four years. There's been models proposed around no finals and just round robin. There's been models proposed around shorter season, I think nine games or eight rounds and then into quarter semis finals, not as many home games for provinces. That means they're funding models down, who's compensating them and to what level. Then we've got this thing called the players being asked to get on a plane, move overseas and play already play a load, play welfare. So there are the three islands at the moment that still needs to be agreed. So when we say conceptually yes, Macro, no problem, these.
Speaker 1: Are details that need to Thanks for not putting us asleep.
Speaker 2: I'm not put your sleep, I'm away. Was that quick enough? Yeah, pretty good? I agree. I'll get their trouble for talking for too long. These are complex, right, they are right.
Speaker 1: That was unfair of me.
Speaker 2: That was unfair.
Speaker 3: That's absolutely right. Lot of mouth watering right. The idea finally we now can figure that out.
Speaker 4: But the way they're talking about it is that it would be played in June. So and finnily enough, the season's the end of our seasons actually marry up perfectly, like the English finish up at the same time as us. They just play for three or four months longer. It would be put in June, is what they're talking about. Two pools of what are we talking two pools of eight? So you're talking like three games each plus the finals. So it's a month of footy. That's still a long time to be Like for the Brumbies in the warld does to get on a plane and go to live in the UK for a month.
Speaker 3: So maybe the idea is it doesn't need to be that big, like just send your top two teams.
Speaker 1: I think, but the notion of seven teams from Super Rugby is too many. Too many? Yeah, and then even eight from the Champions Couple UK and you're just just.
Speaker 4: Send send your best two warriors into the thunder Dame and you know, Sammy's in final.
Speaker 3: Like you still figure out I'd watch the hell out of that.
Speaker 4: But so and so talking to Phil yesterday, said that the the preference would be to not contract the Super Rugby season, so you would currently if you're moving at four three weeks, you're starting in the middle of January, right, so it's.
Speaker 3: Pretty hot, which runs up against Daniel.
Speaker 4: So the Wallabies boys usually only turn up back up to work around January ten. But having said that, they would start holidays earlier because the World Cup is finishing in November the year before, so that might not be such a problem. But then you know, you've got suber Rugby has been push from pillar to post and changed a thousand times, and you know.
Speaker 1: So just a little bit. Yeah, there's one thing, yes to that point in your story that I was quite impressed with, or that I liked hearing from Key Priority that they don't suffering from a continuous change trying to keep some continuity in it, so.
Speaker 4: They would they would at most move the season, just pick it up and move it instead of like, okay, we won't play finals, we'll do first past the post or you know, like I think that that's what risk analysis.
Speaker 2: Yeah, risk and benefit existing product versus enticing concept into reality, meritocracy, meritocracy, everyone with funding requirement play, wefare workplace conditions. Do the unions agree? You know, there's lots of moving parts. It's it's it is an intoxicating concept, and players often talk about, you know, wanting to solve the issue, and I wonder we knew the consequences. I wonder if you talk about player retention right, So then contract modeling will start to look further than just the World Cup years work up to World Cup, because you'll want your strongest teams to be entering into a World Clup challenge if it's got validity and marquee status and maybe even surprise money. Who knows, you know that that could be a thing as well. You'd hate to think that World Cup the team that's performed very well. So the Brumby's have got you know, five or six players that they've contracted just about right, and then they're all going over seas and they will pop up at less and then less benefit from those blanks playing for who knows right. You know, you're like, oh, hang on a minute, we want that back.
Speaker 4: And the other hurdle is that there's all tests or the four Tests on the other side of it, so everyone has to jump on planes. And now the Nation's Cup, so everyone comes to the South in July, so that'd have to you'd have to carve out.
Speaker 3: Another couple of weeks to make sure everyone's right apart.
Speaker 1: Wonder if the model is you do away with you do away with a mid year test window for that year in July when the North come down here and we play two Tests against Wales, one Test against et cetera. Maybe that one year, No way, every four years, you do away with it.
Speaker 3: Yeah, it's too much money.
Speaker 1: Well that's whether this can generate a place.
Speaker 5: Could I mean there's a lot, there's there'll be a lot of games to be played. It could generate it just it's new trying.
Speaker 2: To know what is don't know. We don't know what it could generate. It's been talked about for a long time and the sticking point has been someone to say, here's the here is the money, this is how it's going to be dispersed. Ultimately, that is a big rock that needs to be solved.
Speaker 3: Were good idea.
Speaker 6: I love.
Speaker 3: We shouldn't be happy, we shouldn't be afraid of a.
Speaker 6: Like worked out. But I think in principle, I think it'd be.
Speaker 3: I think, and we're starting.
Speaker 4: I think it's a good thing that we're starting to see these new little things pop up, even though the keywis they want to play.
Speaker 3: Us on hand ack day.
Speaker 4: But like we've been stuck in, we've been stuck in around Rugby's kind of calendar for a while now, right, you know, like some change and some new things well only kind of invigorate people's interests.
Speaker 1: Here's a potential byproduct. Does it create reverse sabbaticals? We get it starts to open up the opportunity, open up the eyes of Northern Hemisphere based players to come out here, which Jordy Barrett, who's at Leansa at the Moment said recently that players up there actually their eyes light up about the opportunity to come and playing in Super rugby for instance.
Speaker 2: Well, pathways and talent progression and depth charting becomes an issue then, right, and then you start you need to then in conjunction with because of this ecosystem and because everything's so connected, one area as a ripple somewhere else. So then eligibility and selection criteria for national teams because if you're going to import talent, you're going to lose its somewhere else. And normally you see the younger ones or your established ones, because the younger ones go, well, why am I going to stick around? Because they're just bringing in the rock star from Lensto who is not even Australian, not even going to play for Australia. So I'm going overseas. If they if they're good enough to play for Australia, do they then get brought back to play for Australia. In this notion, they've got a sign with the Siper Rugby club to be eligible. That needs examination as well.
Speaker 3: Then global game twenty years time.
Speaker 4: Maybe they're sitting around in a podcast or whatever the hell they're doing talking about like rugbies like soccer.
Speaker 3: Everyone plays every.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 1: Producer Trav is a big fan of that.
Speaker 6: That podcast.
Speaker 2: Movement has never been greater, right, So the game needs to solve that because that is not that is only going to accelerate Rugby's in an international market. Now. You need to find out a way to maintain the Bungee Cort attachment and still have an opportunity to develop the resource and then use that resource when it's fully functional.
Speaker 1: It's good chat, plenty of good chat. Plenty of good questions coming in the sideline mailbag as well, so we might open up a few of those. This is a question from d Q. I won't read out that Twitter handle because it's a lot of numbers. When is Rugby AU releasing the First Nation Slash PACIFICA and OZ and Z jerseys and the squad lists. We've seen the coaching teams. This is me now we have seen the coaching teams for both announced in recent days. They have released options for a First Nations jersey which fans can vote on and go in the chance to win an experience to go to that First Nations Pacific game down in Melbourne. If they select the winning jersey.
Speaker 6: Have you looked at the jersey?
Speaker 1: I've looked at the jerseys. I'll be perfectly honest. I'm a bit underwhelmed by the four options. Yeah, I don't think they're overly exciting. The mainly white little bit of color, the color changes for the different options on the sleeve. One of them is a bit of a Harlequin type style with different colored square diagonally on the jersey. But they're out there. So to say Rugby Astralia hasn't released them, it's not true. But we haven't yet seen haven't selected the jersey. That's for the first nation specific one, Peter, we haven't seen anything.
Speaker 2: You can still big a preference out of those four, right? Yeah?
Speaker 6: And is that how they're picking the winner?
Speaker 2: Like whoever? Because that's what we want. Do you have a preference because well, I wasn't aware that you're an international fashion designer. What I want to know? You've got one.
Speaker 1: I'll go the Harlequins one.
Speaker 3: Old school.
Speaker 1: That's my choice.
Speaker 2: Politics now my.
Speaker 4: Choice answer question the lines, So the Australia and Z I always want to call it the Anzac tim Horn.
Speaker 3: You'll not let it go.
Speaker 6: It is.
Speaker 4: You get right attached to the Yeah, there's official approvals and all the rest of it.
Speaker 3: That is going to be released in mid June. Apparently.
Speaker 4: I've been knocking on Rugby Austra's door trying to get a look at it for a while and they've got it.
Speaker 3: They've kind of made them up.
Speaker 2: But there's going to want to get some from my kids.
Speaker 5: I'll tell you what that And every time when are they going to announce the team? That feels a team of about three hundred players? Every time I open an article as a new player that's put his hand up to play, Sonny.
Speaker 6: Bill is coming back. He is his playing quite Cooper.
Speaker 1: Sonny Bill is going to play game four days before he fights Paul Game.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I mean James, you just said James j Connor.
Speaker 2: You said James Hooper.
Speaker 6: No I didn't. I mean everyone's played.
Speaker 3: Around this team.
Speaker 6: I mean is it players that have retired? Is it players that are currently playing? Like?
Speaker 2: What's that?
Speaker 4: So it started out with a bit of speculation on our behalf about what this team would look like. They have resolved to make it for the Australian components, buying large blokes who.
Speaker 3: Are already here, so that we're pulling them out of Wallaby.
Speaker 4: Squads up from Sober so it is it an Australia rad by default because the Lions DoD worn an Australia game.
Speaker 3: There is also Keyweed blokes, but because.
Speaker 4: New Zealand are playing France at the same time and I think the Mario or Black are playing at the same time, so there's there is some chat about some Keyweed guys coming across, but mostly they're fellas from New Zealand, so they're working through that at the moment. The names I've heard that they're trying to get over the line as far as insurance is Moanga, which is highest played player in the world, Shannon Frazelle, Sewan Stevenson, and TJ.
Speaker 3: Perrenara. I think.
Speaker 4: Where they this goes to that point about the squad is obviously they can't name the team until Joe kind of figures out who he wants for the test team and who's going to release and stuff. But you're talking like a week before the game, so that doesn't do much as far as like trying to promote it. We're trying to get a sense. So brings us right back to show was it show one the bloke who should have been co hosting this, Mike Hoopo.
Speaker 3: We've kind of.
Speaker 4: Raised that he would be a great guy to be involved in this. I think that there they either have approached him or they're going to approach him to do that. He's just finished up in Japan. Perfect guy to put on the poster, right and to go down to Adelaide. Do the local radio just start. I mean, this is what rug Bistre should be doing. They should be naming six seven guys as you kind of your marquee stars, and then fill the rest of.
Speaker 2: These your ambassadors players.
Speaker 4: So you've got your key with you guys, a couple of assies like Hoops and I don't know, let's let's ring up Samu and say, look at the moment, we don't have you in the Wallaby squad, but we want you in this team. We want you in the country at the time. You mean Peter Pete, Samu or no good, just someone like that.
Speaker 2: That's a hype of thing.
Speaker 5: I just want.
Speaker 3: I just think that we need to be starting to get the ball rolling on this.
Speaker 2: And do you think there's there's there's there's twenty thousand people waiting to hear a name, and so britge Ice lines are coming to Adelaide the concept and they know that it's going to be a market team. It has to be a market team with relevant I don't think it, but it can't hurt. So then you look at you look at the intent of that game. Originally is to have an opportunity for the players who are not ring fenced and just out of test contention to play in an Australian jersey. And then the New Zealand thing got promoted and so then all of a sudden it was agreed. But that's what the original intent is. There is a developmental tool and also possibly a player retention tool as well to INCENTIVI as a player who's maybe or maybe not deciding to extend a contract or what is this thing called Australian rugby and wallaby is? How much do they believe in me? So when you when you start picking players that have gone offshore are already done. It's an invitational side, Google in the side. So we're inviting we're inviting New Zealand guys to come.
Speaker 1: We have to.
Speaker 2: We have to because that's the model.
Speaker 1: I think.
Speaker 4: I think a balance needs to be found between this being a development tool, and.
Speaker 2: It's a development tool well player returns look as Rory Scott.
Speaker 3: I understand, but you also I think that car.
Speaker 4: It can't hurt to have a couple of marquee names to help promote it to Yeah, I think you can't run away from the idea that there's a festival aspect to this because that's what people want to see.
Speaker 2: The first aspect of every game.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I understand, everyone understand.
Speaker 4: We also can't We also can't wait until the twelfth of July before.
Speaker 3: We know what the team is.
Speaker 1: I think that's one thing that fans and there's been a lot of people asking, like d Q, when are they going to name it? I think there is an element that you touched on the pay that people don't realize that this will likely include players that get left out of the Wallaby squad. So he can't start making those announcements now because then you're going.
Speaker 3: On what's more use it strategically.
Speaker 4: If Marika cole Bred is not going to be picked in the in the Wallaby squad for whatever reason, how good would it be for him for for young Wallaby's wingers to spend a week with Marika?
Speaker 3: You know what I mean?
Speaker 4: Like there is a chance for them not to just learn from Richie Mohanga, but learn from Michael Hooper and learn from you just to spend a week in their company. It doesn't have to be it doesn't have to be three quarters of the team, but it certainly can't have three or four blocks.
Speaker 1: Of those names that you you mentioned that are being worked on, like working through things like insurance. Yeah, are we expecting those confirmation confirmations?
Speaker 3: They say they're getting closer on that.
Speaker 4: I mean, I don't know the first thing about that, but you Richie and two point two million a year or something crazy like that. So to ensure him just for a week would not be a simple exercise, I'm sure, but general, yeah, they're getting they say they're getting closer.
Speaker 1: That on some of the names you mentioned. I know, you goog, you were just spitballing, like talking about that player retention model using this as something like that if you look at someone like a Rory Scott or Luke Rahman at the Brumbies play only three days before that against the lines in it's.
Speaker 2: Interesting under okay that position, Maybe we were narrowing in on that but also incentivizing and rewarding you know, players that have had outstanding super Over Pacivics seasons get had. We've all we're all waxing lyrical about super Oba Pacific this year. How good it's been, our compelling it's been, the integrity of it, the intensity of it, the skill execution. You know, those players will hopefully be rewarded with a starting position against British ice lines for their province or one better and au n Z to parents as well, so that that would be lovely to see.
Speaker 1: You know.
Speaker 2: I wonder if we could start maybe examining some of those top performers of Superbia Pacific and start fighting those names and build. I think most people are interested in the New Zealand component. Quite frankly, I think Australia. Australian fans aren't too anxious about who's the Australian top player that's going to be named so that I can press push, you know, QF one down Adelaide or not. I think they're most interested in that New Zealand concept because of the au n Z compartment. Mister a game in britge ice Line series in twos and one, there wasn't much interest around who was playing and just they knew they were playing in Gosford and we're getting along and not miss out on watching a six hundred cap test team.
Speaker 4: Right, Yeah, but there won't be anything. Yeah, but Wallaby's played in that, didn't They like guys who no one.
Speaker 2: Knew who was going to play that until they were released.
Speaker 4: We've got a more ring fenced environment, so you're not going to see well, it's going to be choice, so you're going to be seeing in the Wallaby squad.
Speaker 2: Well that's it. That's just to see us sit down with mister Joe Smitt and say, listen, there's there's there's more things at stake here than just you know, this small window of ring fencing and controlling as many people. You do need to release some of your bench players. You need to release something. I mean, is that a conversation?
Speaker 3: Well they will, I mean they'll, yeah, they'll, they'll.
Speaker 4: I think he's talked about ring fencing twenty three or twenty four, and then you're going to run a squad of thirty six, so there'll be you know, ten thirteen guys leaving.
Speaker 2: But do you reckon all of them are going to play in that game? Do you think? Well?
Speaker 4: The interesting part is it is the seven days before the first test, the first test, so you know if they want them on the samekind.
Speaker 1: Of well, we are going around the circles a little bit because it's just a debatable topic. But d Q mentioned that the first nation specifica jersey's kind of already out there. The oz and Zen jersey been coming out June and we've said what we could say about the squad lists.
Speaker 2: You love the Harlequins one.
Speaker 1: Yeah, well that's my pick. I hope that has an influence anyone. I haven't.
Speaker 2: I should I want to vote.
Speaker 6: Vot you don't get to what were your Harlequines jersey?
Speaker 1: Yeah, there you go. I want to move on to another question because considering the British and Irish lines are coming our way, this is a fascinating question from Michael Kuzmich, big fan of Insideline Hey Fellers. Has Sansa ever considered doing their own version of the British and Irish Lines tour lift so then we can create the Sansar Tigers. I'm not sold on the name personally selected from OZ and Z, South Africa and Argentina tour would run during Michael saying the tour would run during the spring season or after Christmas New Year. I'm not so sure about the timing, but just in terms of doing like a Southern Hemisphere style British and iceh Lions team, has it ever been discussed?
Speaker 2: Cook It's been discussed, probably to the same extent that World Club Challenge has been been discussed and then and then I think it's just it's there's a lot obviously a lot of governance structures and a lot of existing frameworks that need to be agreed to. But I think it's just been discussed. I don't think it's really been modeled to the to the level that it would need to to be able to get it off the ground conceptually, from a concept to a structure to this is how it's going to work. It'd be great, though, would I mean?
Speaker 5: And I know I'm on a rugby show, but today's state of origin in rugby league. Every single rugby league fan is invested in tonight's game when.
Speaker 6: Australia play, Well, that's because they're a fan. Yeah, yeah, they're right.
Speaker 5: But when Australia played New Zealand, Southern fans there might be some interest, but there's they're not They're not invested and that's what makes that of origin so especially you've got the best players in the world coming together to have the game their life in a night.
Speaker 2: If you had the British rs in Western Australian Victoria, they don't really.
Speaker 6: Well they'll pick a side.
Speaker 1: Queensland, but yeah, but this could be this could be it.
Speaker 5: Like you think about that, like every single rugby rugby fan on the planet have a vested interest in a team that's playing on that night, and it could it could blow the roof off the biggest thing rugby's ever done. But they've got to get it through the conceptual phase and all the argument. The snouts in the troughh that have got to back away and to let it happen.
Speaker 4: Well, knowing our mates over the ditch, like they'd never say yes to it, but like would they tour, would they play in France? And like it would be on a twelve year cycle or there?
Speaker 3: I mean, they're all the questions.
Speaker 2: The British ice lines concept is an amazing concept. It's an intoxicating example of how the world of rugby can come together for a short amount of time and put aside international rivalry. But the most compelling argument for the British and irice lines existence is the commerciality of it. Yea, austral And Rugby is going to survive on the back of the British and ice lines to a dounceouth. Now, if the Southern Hemisphere can put a model together that of course represents the best of the best, and we know that we'll win probably more times than we'll lose when we put that team together. That is going to be an amazing group of people and athletes. It's the commercial discussion because we know that commerciality will make you move things and timings of competition and welcome challenge. How much is going to pass and World Cup? You guys are going to have less tests this year because it's a World Cup year, No problem. It's worth this much money. That's that's the answer.
Speaker 3: It takes a huge pile of money.
Speaker 2: Yeah, we know the pile kind of because British ice Lines is the pile. So we've actually got the model, we've got the numbers, we just need people to go.
Speaker 1: Here's my pen I reckon if you put it on during the spring tour, as in instead of all those individual nations going, you find a window that point and then and you don't just play the four home nations. You include France in it.
Speaker 3: What about this one shot one kill the Lions and the Tigers. I don't want to call.
Speaker 4: Its versus the the anzacsafas.
Speaker 3: A week after the World Cup.
Speaker 4: Final every four years, they if money makes a world go round, pay every single person to be fair.
Speaker 1: The semi finals of the World Cup are usually the Southern Hemisphere teams anyway.
Speaker 3: But at least there's like it finishes, you might you might find a.
Speaker 2: Solution. It needs to be, which is why the World Cup Challenge. It needs to have literally in just a one v two shootout, and then is really going to pay enough money to make that worthwhile and have longevity. Those lines have survived because of the emotion and the history and the you know, it's been tied into all sorts of different themes and then now it's got this thing in the world of professionalism, commerciality and sustainability so important to marry.
Speaker 3: That and am I and am I going to be the one to point out that how many players will we get in.
Speaker 1: The team some years smaller than in the line squad.
Speaker 3: Yeah, we'll always get a.
Speaker 6: Couple might be us in the short term.
Speaker 2: But you know, as time games, that'd be huge too, right. How do you set up selection critia? How do you set up set up the panel who's got the final say?
Speaker 6: I just love the thought of it, I really do.
Speaker 5: I just I couldn't imagine, like like anyone not being so invested in that. And when you've got the punters invested that they're the ones that bring the dollars to the table, you know, then all of a sudden the sponsors come on board, you know, the the excitement for the game. I just think it could be rugby unions to compete with other things that they're competing.
Speaker 1: I actually think this is a better idea than the World Club.
Speaker 2: It would be the longest undefeated group of athletes team, do you think. I don't think they'd ever maybe not go, but I don't reckon they'd lose this series until again.
Speaker 5: But that's the intrigue about it, right, that's hard to believe. How do we know, let's see it and then you see it and I've got this Southern hemon.
Speaker 2: Just don't start this argument because when these arguments get their.
Speaker 6: Time, the Northern hemisphere then go. We can't have these things.
Speaker 2: Just made it to be.
Speaker 5: Amazing, and that was how State of Origin started New South Wales Queens and got sick of kicking their ast.
Speaker 2: No, but it's not to play against the British ice lines. Let's get this right. Yeah, you're going on tours and you're handing it to the others. Or maybe the individual unions up there are strong enough.
Speaker 3: What's intriguing the.
Speaker 4: Debate From a place perspective, you listen to James all Will talk about how his eyes were opened about how much playing for the Lions meant to the guys he was playing with, like it was like playing for your country, being selected for the Lions and being a test line, and like being a test line was top of the tree. So be really interesting from apecive from a place perspective about that was which being able to represence, which.
Speaker 2: Also ties into possibly play retention right, because that could be a selection policy thing where you have to be playing for the country in the country at the time you can't pick.
Speaker 3: You know, we've solved a lot of problems.
Speaker 2: That could be a thing. I'm going to stick around because I want to play.
Speaker 6: For the positive. The profit here has become luck excited, I.
Speaker 1: Reckon it's your infectious attitude. You are the greatest supporter of any idea, great idea.
Speaker 6: Let's go, let's make it happen. Yeah, something says money on.
Speaker 1: The tape very quickly. I'm putting you on the spot here. But of the current Wallabies for this compont side was picked right now, of the cur who would would make the.
Speaker 2: Team know where you live?
Speaker 5: Fraser Fraser right, yea Yepeus, I can see Tom Line are playing in it at some point.
Speaker 2: I love Tom n You can't do that.
Speaker 3: Let it out right now?
Speaker 6: Yeah yeah right yeah then maybe.
Speaker 1: Yeah, picked Bobby Bobby, Bobby, Yeah, Angus Bell Yeah.
Speaker 3: Eventually essentially there's five or six.
Speaker 1: Yeah, big squad, good chat, big squad. We can continue this over a beer, I reckon. That's the insideline for this week. Thanks gentlemen.
Speaker 6: I love it.