Speaker 1: Sydney's best breakfast GG. The City of Sydney has voted to ban gas appliances in all new homes from next year. It means gas appliances will not be included in any new residential developments from December thirty one. And that's not all. A gaspan in new offices, hotels and service departments is also on the cards for the future. I want to bring in a few people with a point of view on this. Paul Nikolau. He's the Executive Director of Business Sydney. Paul, good morning to you.
Speaker 2: Good morning Ben, then, thank you for your kind remarks about my CEO sleepout.
Speaker 1: No problem. Well done on raising all of that money. What do you think of the gas band.
Speaker 2: It's a bad move, Ben, economically, practically and socially. I firmly believe that councilor should stick to roads, footpaths, parks and local matters and leave this matter in relation to the use of gas appliances to the state government so they can have proper consultation and discussion with all parties and relevant organizations.
Speaker 1: Mind you, it's not just the City of Sydney. We've had six other councils banning gas appliances in new builds. Seven others are working towards it as well. I mean, isn't it a case of stay out of our lives, stay out of our kitchen?
Speaker 2: Totally agree, Ben. It's creating confusion and frustration for business community. And at the end of the day you're right. You had Willoby Council rejected and other councils have now brought in the band. It's just creating more and more problems and more costs for the consumer and also for businesses.
Speaker 1: That's Paul nicol Our, Executive Director of Business Sidney. Thank you, Paul. I want to bring in Kylie, one half of the Gas Girls who what brought the gas showroom in Chatswood. You may have heard their ads here on two GB. Hello Kylie, morning, Ben. We thought of you this morning. In fact, it was one of our listeners who said, I wonder what the Gas Girls make of this.
Speaker 3: They're that's ridiculous and all our customers are winging.
Speaker 1: They're winging because of the Gas Band.
Speaker 3: Yeah, so we're doing like you knows. We're in chats so we're fairly close to Lane Cove Council and they're doing a lot of knockdown rebuild stuff like that around Hunters Hill and places like that, and they can't get their plans through if they put in any gas appliance.
Speaker 1: Is there a health danger to having gas, because that's what the Greens Council or on the City of Sydney, Matthew Thompson is suggesting.
Speaker 3: Not if they're flud.
Speaker 2: No, if you put in a gas fluid heater, all your emissions, all.
Speaker 3: Your moisture goes to outside. It crawls the air from outside. No, there are no health risks at all.
Speaker 2: With anything like that.
Speaker 3: Flud Maybe a little bit, but they're pretty low in emissions now as well, so it's just ridiculous.
Speaker 1: Yeah. Well Matthew Thompson has likened a gas stove to smoking cigarettes in a room with your child.
Speaker 3: All right, Well, we've all had them all our lives and we're okay.
Speaker 1: I would have thought. So there's Kylie and I can also hear Kylie's other half in the background as well, So they're the gas girls in Chatswood. And now the chef Luke Mangan is on the line today.
Speaker 4: Luke, good morning, benzing me.
Speaker 1: What does this mean for restaurants and cafes?
Speaker 4: Well, you know, it's an interesting thing, isn't it. Gash is a very efficient thing to cook with, although electricity the induction things that have created nowadays are becoming more efficient as well. But the thing that gets me, I think is the price. You know, they say that we're going to save the consumers, going to say six hundred dollars a year. Now we've heard all that before. We've changed over to electricity about and the prices of electricity going up, So I think that's the real question here. They say it's going to be six hundred dollars savings a year. Will it be though? Will it cost us more? That's the real thing. And you know, about seven percent of the emissions the New South Wales comes from producing and using gas, so it's not a lot seven percent. And back in twenty twenty three the Mens government rejected this as a statewide band. So I'd be interested to see where they're at with all this.
Speaker 1: Yeah, Chris Means has previously opposed as statewide band on new gas connections, and previously clover More said, oh well it's not really our domain at the City of Sydney, this is really a state government matter. But now look what's happened in the last twenty four hours.
Speaker 4: Yeah, what's going to happen next? You know, the banners from going into the parks now in the CBD and now they're trying to stop us. I think people should have the choice if they want electricity or if they want to cook with gas, etc. And to do this in hotels. I mean, obviously in the big hotels now we do have that luxury of having gas or electricity. There are some massive electric ovens available to us that do good things. But I think to turn a whole kitchen, commercial kitchen and possible office blocks and buildings like that, I think that's a big ass.
Speaker 1: And when it comes to Asian food particularly, there's a lot of chef suits say, well, you wouldn't even think of cooking without gas.
Speaker 4: Well, that's right. The wock burner, the hot gas burner that does walk cooking, and they cook a lot with that. But as I said, induction has come a long way. It is an option. But for me, I'm a bit sort of the old fashioned type.
Speaker 1: But to fer the gas, you keep on cooking with gas. And we appreciate your time, Luke, Thanks be the celebrity chef. Luke mangan and that was after our conversation with Kylie from the Gas Girls, one of our advertisers here at two GB and Paul Nicolau, the Executive Director of Business Sydney. So the Green's Councilor Matthew Thompson says these changes are an easy step, they'll save lives and save money, and the council meeting notes say all electric buildings can deliver healthier, cost effective and energy efficient developments that are built to meet the future energy standards of Australia. All electric buildings avoid locking into fossil fuel systems and advance the City of Sydney's net zero emissions objectives. So that's what it's about. It's about trying to get to net zero. And if everything's all electric and we have blackouts, what happens then?
Speaker 4: For more of The ben Fordham Show, watch live week days five thirty twill nine am ontogb dot com. You will day w