Speaker 1: On two GB, four BC and network stations. This is Wake Up Australia with Phill O'Neill.
Speaker 2: Wednesday, the eighteenth of June, Winnary. Halfway through the year. And how's it going. Have you achieved everything that you've wanted to do so far this year? If not? What Today's a brand new day. Currently eight degrees in Sydney feels more like four. In Brisbane it's eleven degrees, feels like eleven degrees. I feel a little bit let down by that comparison, a little bit ripped off, So I apologize for that. Bruce said on the text, this is very good. Alba was at the airport waving Donald Trump could bine with the medicarecard. I like that. That's the text of the day. And he also says what is loomy anyway? Also this one from Darryl. Darryl, thank you, thank you so much. I really appreciated that lovely text that you sent through with some nice feedback. Appreciate that. And I've got another email that came through a moment ago as well. I think it was from Will, and Will was saying that he enjoyed Sarah Bora's recipe this morning says it's the best recipe so far, and of course the recipe with Sarah Bora is on the website, the two GB and four BC websites. Let's have a look at four eight in the morning at the front page of the newspapers, starting as we always do with The Australian because the print is the smallest and I have to squint. Anthony Albanezi will face extreme pressure to ramp up Australia's defense spending following Donald Trump's decision to cancel their long awaited meeting in Canada shortly after delivering British Prime Minister Keuth Starman's staff exceptions and also the tariff exemptions that he wanted as well. And assurance is on the deal of the three hundred and eighty six billion dollar ORCUS deal. Is the front page of the Australia. Thank you for that, Cidy Morning Herald ge. There's a haunting photo here of Donald Trump getting on their Force one as he heads off from Calgary to go home. So really it's a really haunting photo. That's the any way to put my eyes say it. And the story is Iran and Israel have ramped up their missile attacks attacks rather as the world waits to see what action US President Donald Trump will take after leaving the G seventh summit of world leaders in Canada a day early because of the intensifying hostilities in the Middle East, of which we haven't found out too much about that, but we will find out, I'm sure, throughout the day whether or not that's saber rattling or there is in fact something else involved. From pature of the Telegraph, it was supposed to be Anthony Albanesi's big chance to put Australia's case forward to the world's most powerful leader, but the Prime Minister was less left desperate and dateless yesterday when the US President Donald Trump brushed the pairs plan face to face meeting on the sidelines at the G seven and summit in Calgary, and a photo of Albanizi there looking a little bit while he looks across between disconcerted and gormless to do totally honest from page to the age World waits for Trumps as the Israel Iran crisis escalates. The story is Israel and Iran have ramped up their missile attacks as the world waits to see what action US President Donald Trump will take Residents in Tehran were caught in gridlock trying to flee the city as global anxiety centered on whether or not the United States would broker and end to the conflict or enter the fray by helping Israel destroy Iran's deeply buried nuclear enrichment facility at FORDAU, which only US bunker buster bombs can reach. And that's where the reference to bunker buster bombs came from. I was talking about that earlier on this morning from Pagrie. Your Cabra Times has this noisy events at the summer it's the annual car event in camera that attracts more than one hundred thousand people. Cannot practically or practicably comply with the imposed sound limits, according to an independent assessment. Well there's a surprise. I mean, if they're driving cars at the summer ATS, they're going to have modified exhausts, So how can that keep within the noise monitoring report that they've had. They found that the noise from the event regularly exceeded limits sent to them by the EPA, the Environmental Protection Authority. Really though, that shouldn't come as any surprise to anyone that goes to the Summer ATS. Because they are, as I said, hotted up cars with hotted up exhausts. So what more for you? The Financial Review, in fact too more Financial Review Treasurer at Jim Charmers has opened the door the tax changes beyond superannuation, admitting the federal budget is unsustainable and the economy's stagnant productivity will not deliver higher living standards for work people. And one more here for the front page of the Courier Mail, and we'll talk more about this just after the fourth thirty News with Peter Figan from the four BC Breakfast Show. He's getting all excited about state of Origin, as I'm sure everyone in Queensland is. But the story on the front page of the Courier Mail, everyone in Queensland wants the Maroons to smash Spencer Lenu. And those are the words of the Maroon legends, Billy Moore, who's appealed for Queensland to kick off to Blues pest Lenu in Origin number two tonight and make him eat humble pie. Well, let's wait and see what happens and we'll talk more about Origin. You'll hear that across the day, of course. And another big call from the Great man Mirk Levy, who did a terrific call on the last state of origin, which I said to him, I mean, you were really good on that said it was my first one. I went no, since you called that like an expert, brother, So you'll be able to hear Mike Levy calling that later and more about the state of origin throughout the day. Hey, Phil, morning to you. Four point seven degrees feels like about one point one in Willow Tree. Good on you, mate, Thank you so much for that, and we'll see you when you get back here. That was somebody who says back on Thursday, I'm speaking to that person as though they're an old mate, but I don't know who it is because they didn't put their text on it. It could be my wife for all I know. Thirteen minutes past four. Okay, we're up today. Let's talk about this next and i'd like to get your feedback. Garth Davis is going to join us. He's a real estate and property expert, and the issue is about overseas trade's are they the answer to the housing crisis? What about if they're giving them ten grand to come and do it. I'll talk about this and I'm sure we'll get your cause about that next coming up to seventeen minutes past four, Peter Fegan joins us in a moment from the four BC Brisbane Breakfast Show to tell us what's coming up on the show and ben Fordham from five point thirty This morning on Sydney's two GB, Mike Levy follows that would you hire an overseas trade? Are you a boss that is in a position to hire overseas trads? Well, give me a quick ring one three one eight seven three. Why is it that it's so hard to find trades? And also why if you were a trade, why are there so few traders in the trade? Where's everybody going to one three one eight seven three or on the text zero four six zero eight seven three eight seven three. Because Australia has a massive housing demand and supply problem with a huge lack of trades and a property expert Garth Davis is on the phone morning to you mate, So wa have this build a life in Wa trad incentive and there's ten k in involved in this too. Where does that come from?
Speaker 3: They offer ten thousand dollars to get people to move across obviously quite a long way to come so basically they get five grand once they arrive to help them with some in costs, and then there's a five grand later on once they place for a period of time.
Speaker 4: So it has been very successful so far.
Speaker 3: Particularly with people of New Zealand where some of their constructions slowed up a little bit. They've got they've got ability and access of excessive workers there and getting them through Western Australia and so far, so good.
Speaker 4: We're working really well.
Speaker 3: They seem to have had five main top occupations that have been so.
Speaker 4: Far through the program.
Speaker 3: That's been electricians, cops, plumbers, brick layers and earth moving plant operators.
Speaker 2: So ten grand for traders from New Zealand to relocate. This could be the answer nationwide. But why don't we have enough trades in Australia.
Speaker 4: Well that's a really good thing and look it's gain.
Speaker 3: We're finding that younger people are sort of moving away from those sort of more if we call them hard sort of outdoor brick laying jobs, contracuting jobs, preferring to try and get more the IT jobs and sort of desks and internal job.
Speaker 4: So the problem is there. It probably hasn't enough.
Speaker 3: Focus and the training roles around construction.
Speaker 4: Really also they have that really helps.
Speaker 3: Building and construction employers to cover the cost employing apprentice and trainees.
Speaker 4: So that no silver ball at harder.
Speaker 3: We get more tradees to build more properties, which we're desperate for. We need more properties for people to occupy and more properties for rental. And a huge part of that problem is around the supply. The problems around the supplies. We don't have enough tradees, so we to go and poach some.
Speaker 4: We're going to have.
Speaker 3: To incentivize some to come in country. But the longer term solution is that we actually need we need a lot of funding and really target around there and the training we've got to make that become very much more attractive for the younger people to come through those pathways.
Speaker 2: And how do the existing tradees in Australia feel about the scheme?
Speaker 4: But the way there's at the moment, there's a massive undersupply of them.
Speaker 3: I know for a fact one when I was at a lone recently and it's just some of the numbers really sort of blow your mind. The average of a brick layer in Western Australia is sixty two, So we do not have young enough people enough younger people coming through these these very important skills and jobs that need to be filled, and so it's becoming a big post zone a lot of cases, I don't think they establish people and the trades in the in the market share and the workforce have got a problem with that, in fact, getting over work.
Speaker 4: They're working maybe six days a week, seven days a week.
Speaker 3: They're really under pressure because we need we need these property builders are under pressure to produced them faster.
Speaker 4: They're putting trades under pressure.
Speaker 3: And it is there's stress because there's stress in the building industry because there's not enough trade. Ones that we do have are getting pushed too hard and you know, and that's not good too because it starts affecting their wealth, health and also the quality of the bills.
Speaker 2: And what about the employees. Are they keen for the hiring and overseas trading.
Speaker 3: Yes, again if the retape taken away from that. So they're desperately in most of the capital cities around the country and they're trying to bring in more labor. And it's this catch twenty two in Australia where we try to manage the immigration into the country because you know, part of the problem is we haven't managed well the housing supply and the immigration coming in, so we've had too much amission coming in and too little supply of dwellings and homes. So that's how we've got us into this problem. We've got too many people for the houses that we've got at the moment. That's the prices and the rents. So what we need to do is we do need to get these skilled labors. And it's not in construction, it's another specific trades and industries.
Speaker 4: But we need to be bringing in the right type of people.
Speaker 3: That can help us out of this problem because the only way we're going to get out of this problem is through supply and supply we need more skilled labor and you know in the civic areas again electricians, cop and as plumbers, bricklayers, earth movers, et cetera. And what we've got to do is bring in the right people in the right quantities so you can actually get the supply, but not further make it harder for finding residents and putting a roof over people's heads because if we're going to bring these trade is in got to live somewhere, so it has.
Speaker 4: To be managed very very carefully.
Speaker 3: And cutting the red tape that we can get them in quickly, get their right approvals, right training if they've got to do any slight conversions with their skills, and let's get these people on the tools and let's get building these homes that we desperately need.
Speaker 2: Okay, good to talk to you, Thanks so much. That's Garth Davis, their property expert and based in Western Australia, so that's a different side of the country. But they've got this builder life in Wa trading incentive paying ten k to tradees from New Zealand to relocate phone's open one three one eight seven three. Why is it that we don't have enough tradees? What's the issue?
Speaker 4: Is it?
Speaker 2: Like Garth says that they don't want to do the work, they want to go into it. And would you as an employer, would you hire an overseas trade And if you've got that ten k out miss leave, would it be worth it? One three one eight seven three give us a ring. Let us know what you think. Morning, John, you're in Brisbane. What are your thoughts on that?
Speaker 4: Mate?
Speaker 5: Well, I have a story to tell. It's in relation to to Indian tradesmen and I I'm in Brisbane and this neighbor who is an Indian and he only hired Indian tradesmen. I was intimidated and threatened on so many occasions. I had the police come out. I live on an easement and they kept parking me in with all the big vehicle from that the neighbor was building a granny flat in his backyard and I was constantly couldn't get out of my property on the easement because they had all their vehicles right parked right in front of my garage. And I had the police come out a couple times, which they weren't helpful at all, the Queensland Police. And I was a victim of these and there was so much anti white racism from these Indians. There was about six or seven of these Indian tradesmen that turned up regularly to do this work. It's all over now, but it lasted about a year and a half and all they could do was to threaten me and intimidate me all the time. They would not move their vehicles. The police came out, as I said, on three occasions, nothing really was done, and there was so much anti white racism because Indian tradesmen.
Speaker 2: Can I ask Johnny you an employer and then he use somebody that runs.
Speaker 5: A I'm a victim of overseas tradesmen. The company is I won't say anything about that. I just on the armor victim. It was the neighbor of someone who was putting in a getting a granny flat put into their backyard.
Speaker 2: I leave it there, job, and I appreciate your cool. Let's get to Brian, who's on the Gold Coast. So, Brian, are you in a position where you can run a company and would you hire an overseas trading.
Speaker 6: No, I would you hire an overseas trading because I think the problem is that there's just not enough incentives for business to put on apprentices. I help run a joinery shop on the Gold Coast and we have a couple of apprentices here, and that's the only way we can find we can train apprentices to become good tradees without without having to source people that are Prima Donna's really why.
Speaker 2: Don't people want to get into the end of the trade.
Speaker 6: Because I think at school it's all promoted that they've all got to go to UNI. To go to UNI. The trades aren't promoted, you know. I don't want to found lot my grandfather. But years and years ago, when I did my prenticeship at the end of year ten, they said you were a trade there's no point in doing year twelve and become a trading and that's what we did.
Speaker 2: That's right. That the same thing with me when I was a kid, and that was, you know, if you didn't want to go on and do the next couple of years, then you pretty much had yourself a job at least a guarantee of a job for a while.
Speaker 6: Yeah, yeah, I don't think I think doing year twelve would have been great for everybody. I think it still is. But they need to promote trading so it's not just a downgraded career from what going to UNI is because there's a lot of trading making a lot more money than what the people out in union make.
Speaker 2: Well, that's it. And that was the other thing I said with Garth was, you know, he talked about people going into it, but there's still a lot of cash if you want to get into the industry. It's not like there's not any money to be made here, and there's a lot of money, and you get yourself in the right position, you can you know, pretty much ask you for your own price. So why isn't there this incentive? Why aren't a kids seeing this? Do you think it's because it seems like too much hard work?
Speaker 6: I think it's one government. They're not promoting it enough and not enough incentive for a bit for the apprentice as well as the employer. And I think that some kids are scare the hard work there really are. They're thinking that yuni is an easy way, because it's not easy doing the trade. It is hard work. And believe it or not, I tell the apprentices here, you'll learn more the first four years out of your apprenticeship than what you ever did in the four years of it.
Speaker 2: Of course that's right, and that's why it's a according apprenticeship because it's training in more ways than just the physical side of it.
Speaker 6: Too correct And once you've finished, you're in the position where you've got to make the decisions you'll pay as a tradesman. You've got to make it work and you apply the skills that you've learned the four first four years and you make it happen.
Speaker 2: So if somebody offered you ten k your business ten k to get yourself some trade is from New Zealand to relocate. Would you consider the idea, would you.
Speaker 4: Toy with it?
Speaker 6: I absolutely would consider it. Yeah, But you've just got to have a think about how good are those tradees. That's the problem you have as well. Right, the trade is coming in from overseas. Some of them are very good, but some of them aren't very good either.
Speaker 2: Right, and then you don't know what you've got. Yeah, yeah, I get it. You don't. Suddenly you've got this, you know, and now you've got this commitment and this obligation, and they've given you the ten k, and then you find yourself with, you know, somebody who's not very good. So there's the downside there, mate. Good to Toalch. You appreciate you cool, Thank you so much, Brian for twenty nine. Let's get to the newsrooms after this. Twenty eight minutes to four. I'm twenty an minutes to five. Quickly get out of bed, ben Fordham, he's here at five point thirty. Mike Levy immediately following that, Bruce on the Tech says, any young person who becomes a trade will end up with a house. Other young people who are not tradees probably won't get a house. To be nice and cut and try there another one that came in here too from Sharon, just talking about the ten k for a trade initiative in Western Australia. They could have false documentation or fake certificates. Money is the root of all evil. We need to employ our first, our own first. Well that's the problem, Sharon is nobody wants to do it. However, Brad does. Brad sent me an email here. I'm a trade in Sydney and I think it's the greatest job ever. Good on your Brad. I'm on the Northern Beaches and it's difficult to get employees. I think a lot of kids want to be the white collared workers. But trade work is great. You can earn great money without having to do a Uni degree costs a lot of money and probably will leave you with a lower wage. Good on your Brad. Thanks for that positive attitude. And the thing is too, you know, pretty much guaranteed of some decent coin down the track too. Bit of hard work first few years, like any job, like anything in life, the first few years, sure, it's difficult. End of it could be the light at the end of the tunnel, could be the means that justifies the ends. If I'm turning too much like your dad. I apologize for that. Twenty seven minutes to five, let's get to the news room. It's singular this morning. We don't have Melbourne, but we do have Sydney.
Speaker 1: And now on Wake Up Australia News Today, which.
Speaker 2: Is represented by Sasha Foot in the two GB newsroom. Morning Sasha, what have we got?
Speaker 7: Good morning?
Speaker 2: Feel us.
Speaker 7: President Donald Trump is calling on Iran to unconditionally surrender its hostilities in the Middle East intensify. Mister Trump claims they now have a They now have complete and total control over the skies of Iran. A man is jew in court today accused of hitting a pedestrian at an intersection and failing to stop in Sydney's Southwest. Paramedics treated a seventy year old man at the scene in Glenfield before taking him to hospital, where he later died. And a woman has been killed when the car she was driving lost control along the Bruce Highway in Mackay before coming to a stop on railway tracks. Two children inside the car are being treated for minor injuries in hospital. Feel more news at the top of the hour.
Speaker 2: Thank you, Sasha. Football don't have anything in Melbourne at three aw this morning and do have breaking news coming through from Sky News. The White House said this situation room meeting is underway. The US State Department are having a briefing amid the Iran Israel conflict. According to Tammy Bruce, the spokesperson for the US State Department, the State Department has said that Iran cannot have a nuclear weapon. That's where we're at at this particular stage and watching this on three screens in the studio. I'll bring your details of anything that happens as it happens.
Speaker 8: A sports update thanks to west End Motor Group incorporating are A Matter and Blacktown Master, two great Master dealerships saying great people, saying great service seven days a week.
Speaker 2: Adrian sigichik Will, who jointly won the A League Golden Boot with thirteen goals, It's decided to leave Sydney FC for the English club Portsmouth. That's a big call. Hope he's not going for the beach because he's going to find out may have had some better beaches in Sydney. But nonetheless it's a good deal. He's got twenty one years of age, got a four year deal with the Championship club. He's got to do the medical obviously. He'll join fellow Australians Hayden Matthews, Thomas Waddingham and Jacob Farrell at Portsmouth. Good team Portsmouth too, I mean, not a great place to live, not a terrific beach, but you know he's going to be playing football, so nonetheless, I think it's a great idea good decision which was influenced by the presence of those teammates and the chance to play under the manager John Mussinho, who chose Portsmouth over the European clubs, and this will be Chick's second time playing overseas. Haven't been on loan at the Dutch club door tracked in the twenty three twenty four season. Okay, again not great beaches in the Dutch club, but some nice windmills there. You gave you up to date twenty four minutes to five ben Fordham coming up at five point thirty with Mike Levy currently eleven degrees in Brisbane as they get ready for the state of origin. I wonder who signed Peter Figan from four BC is going to be on this side, because I mean, I'm going to be honest, you were a little bit of a turncoat at the last game.
Speaker 9: No, no, no, no, no, never, never a turncoat.
Speaker 10: No.
Speaker 11: I was just upset, Phil, I was just upset because we're actually passionate about state of origin here in Queensland, unlike New South Wales.
Speaker 9: Too much winning.
Speaker 11: But anyway, yeah, why would New South Wales care about origin? I remember all those years, that eight years in a row that we dominated, and then we had one year off and then another five years of domination. So I understand that you're all a little sour about it, but I would never be a turncoat. I've got my proudly wearing my origin jumping this morning.
Speaker 2: The last time we spoke about this, you said, I'm not sure how the guy is going to go. I don't know how the games. You were crying poor before loser, Phil.
Speaker 9: Of course I saw loser. Of course, that's what I'm going to say.
Speaker 11: You know, I've copped it from Levy yesterday giving it to me. I've coppying it from everybody because I'm passionate, you know, that's what and that's easy for them to get to me. But anyone in New South Wales wearing a jersey this morning in the studios.
Speaker 9: I doubt I doubt it.
Speaker 11: I'm proudly wearing my Queensland jumper ready, But that's because it's warm there.
Speaker 2: It's cold here. We have cold weather down south. So Lev is lev out?
Speaker 12: There?
Speaker 4: Is he? No?
Speaker 9: Lev's not here?
Speaker 12: No, I can't.
Speaker 2: He noticed he wasn't in his office, so I thought he must.
Speaker 11: Know he would be over. He'd be over calling the football. I'd suggest tonight was called team.
Speaker 2: I thought you said when you'd seen him.
Speaker 9: I thought, well, that's why it was texting me. He loves to stir me up.
Speaker 2: So let's talk about state of origin before we go anywhere else. You've got the injured star Ben Hunt, and also the King himself, Wally Lewis.
Speaker 11: Why wouldn't you talk to Wally Lewis on state of orig I'm just going to pick Wally's mind and just see if we can delve back a little into the history books of State of Origin and just find a moment where Wally and the Queenslanders were in a similar situation. Because I have to say, for the Queenslanders, we love this. We're backs against the wall. We can't do this. We're told we're terrible, worst team. We sacked our captain. You know, all these things just play beautifully into our hands, I have to say. So I just want to delve back a little deeper with Wally Lewis and just go back through the history books and find a moment that Wally was in the similar situation and also just.
Speaker 9: On our captain.
Speaker 11: And I'm sick and tired of people in New South Wales criticizing Billy for dumping a captain and New South Wales saying, oh, they won't they're not loyal, blah blah blah. What about James Tedesco sacked by New South Wales? Where's Trevoivitch this year? Last year's captain didn't even wasn't even selected this year. So it's you know, you're pointing the finger at a stand.
Speaker 2: Yeah, you raise your king, Wally Lewis, and I'll raise our King, the Great Mark Geyer MG, who still asked every single day and runs into people. What about that incident?
Speaker 9: We actually had them on together here last origin.
Speaker 11: I stitched up MG and I got MG on and we were talking about that moment, and then all of a sudden, I said, oh MG, I've just got to call through. Someone's just going through and it was Wally. It was quite funny. Actually, you know, in fairness they get along quite well. But I've both got a shave field. I've got to say we need a bit of that at the moment. I mean, the Aaron Woods Billy Slater feud is about all we've had. That's about all the that's about all the theatrics we've had over the last sort of month. And that's turned a little That's turned a little sour now, hasn't it. So we need a bit of that. I think we need a bit of spice. We need to fire up a little bit.
Speaker 2: You're saying, bring back the boff is what you're saying.
Speaker 9: Well, bring I'm saying, bring back the sledging.
Speaker 11: That's what we haven't had anyone come out and say I'm going to do this and I'm going to do that. I mean, besides Spencer Lenu, who's the Reserve's got seventeen on his back. I mean, you know, to suggest that Queensland's scared of him is ridiculous, but.
Speaker 2: I've had He's the target, according to the front page of the Career made Good. All right, let's talk about a couple of other things. Spending changing in the last decade. KPMG have released new data. What's the final Well, what do.
Speaker 11: You think that people the ages of twenty five to thirty four would be spending their money on? And this is this is an age group that we're all quite critical of, Phil, But what do you think they're spending most of their money on? I would go for they're spending most of their money on going out take away?
Speaker 2: You know, you need surprised, No, you'd be surprised. It's a completely different generation. It's when we were that age. I mean, these people have grown up and responsible.
Speaker 11: They are and it makes me feel like what was I doing when I was that age? Because I wasn't spending money on home loans. I was paying rent. But they are spending the majority of their money on saving up for home loans and homelans. That's age twenty five to thirty four. Let's move to like a higher age bracket. Let's see someone like fifty five to sixty four ben Fordham's group.
Speaker 9: What do you think they're spending on?
Speaker 2: I can't believe you've just lunt been for them into a sixty four. I mean, like that hanging in the air there for a long.
Speaker 9: No, but that's an origin sledge.
Speaker 11: Now, what do you think fifty five to sixty four are spending their money on, philm.
Speaker 2: Well, probably they've got more money than that generation because they would have, except for me, paid off their house. So I would imagine that they've got more money to spend holidays and things like that.
Speaker 9: Well you'd think so.
Speaker 11: But unfortunately, and I hope this isn't a sign of the times. And something that you and I are going to have to look forward to is they're spending most of their money on home loan repayments. So it would see that most people are getting bogged down now with higher interest rates and longer terms on their loans, and they're taking so long to.
Speaker 9: Pay it off. So this is seriously interesting.
Speaker 11: The work that KPMG have done here on this report is tremendous. They have delved very deep into people spending habits, and I have to say it is extremely interesting. So we're going to have a look at that this morning and ask people generally what they're spending their money on. And I hope, I hope that people aren't just spending their entire lives working just to pay off their mortgage. Because Unfortunately, that's what they call living to die. And you know, it's a sad sat of affairs if that's the case.
Speaker 2: The Chief nine chief political reporter, Charles Croucher just frequently he is joining you, going to talk about where you're going to talk about Anthony Alberanzi being left high and dry. That's the bigges story of the Gison.
Speaker 6: Yeah.
Speaker 11: Look, Phil, I've got to say, everyone seems to think that he had to you know, Donald Trump had to take off. Look, if he was taking us seriously enough, Donald Trump would have stopped and spent a bit of time with Anthony Alberanzi. There's a deeper issue here, and I think that is that he just doesn't take us seriously enough. And I think that he's just not interested in sitting down with Anthony Abernese. It's not on the top of his priority list. In also, when you hear Anthony Alberesi doing press conferences suggesting that he's taken advice from Kevin Rudd, I just don't think.
Speaker 9: That sits well with the administration. I don't This is a guy that called him a trader.
Speaker 2: To the West. You said he whose name should not be said, mate, good to touch you, Peter, good luck tonight, Enjoy, thank you, enjoy. Yeah, you know, two losses in a row and good to to Peter Vegan four BC bristin Brisbane breakfast show host and in Sydney two GB. Of course the Great ben Fordham this morning at five point thirty, which about forty five minutes away, sixteen minutes to five now fourteen minutes to five. So in New South Wales people are going to there. They're the boxes that they're getting speeding fines, but they're not speeding fines. They look like them. They're a slap on the wrist. Peter Corey's on the phone from the NRMA morning Mate. Is this a scam?
Speaker 9: No, it's not.
Speaker 10: And look it's one of the things the NMA fought four was if you're going to introduce a new speed camera at a location, you need to notify the community and you also need to have a period of sending out warning letters to people who have driven past that location and we're speeding, because often these cameras go into locations that people aren't familiar with. Sometimes they go into locations where the speed limit has changed, and in the case of the trial of four point to point or average speed locations.
Speaker 13: For the first time ever, they're turning them on for cars.
Speaker 10: So what the government is doing is exactly what the NRMA told them to do, which is when you introduce a new camera to a location, let the public know and for a period of time and normally it's three months, issue a warning letter.
Speaker 2: As you say, people don't know it's there.
Speaker 13: Absolutely, people don't know what's there.
Speaker 10: So a really good example is the Rosel inter change, which is what some of the media have commented on this week. So that's a location in a tunnel. So there's not a warning sign in front of the camera. It's somewhere in the tunnel. You don't know where, and it can be confusing for a lot of drivers. It's a new road, it's a new part of the tunnel. Some part of it is sixty, some part is ninety. The camera is in the sixty part, not the ninety part, which it opens questions are there, and so that's really that, you know, we give people an opportunity to understand that there is new enforcement in the area in something that's a new road. In some cases where we've seen they put a camera in a road where they change the speed limit and thousands of thousands of people were getting fined because you know, locals didn't know they changed the speed limit, and we wanted to put an end to that.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and oftentimes you don't know whether or not you're actually speeding if you go through the tunnel. A good example of that is if you suddenly look down and you realize you're five k's over, or in the case of the motorbike, if you want to get past someone to save your life and you have to do that, so you've got to go five k's over the speed limit. Does it give you that leeway or was it as soon as it's picked you up and you're speeding there and then you get yourself the fine.
Speaker 13: Look, there is some leeway.
Speaker 10: There has to be because a Domini readings are not accurate, and the cameras to a millimeter of your life aren't accurate either, So there's a disconnect between what your a domitor is telling your speed domitter is telling you sorry.
Speaker 13: And what the actual camera is picking up.
Speaker 4: So there will always.
Speaker 13: Be some degree of leeway. You should never get fined doing sixty one in a sixty zone, for example.
Speaker 10: The last thing we need is people focused exclusively putting their eyes on the speedometer because they're terrified they're one k over the limit. That's not safe for anybody. So there is a degree of leeway. I don't think the government will actually ever announce how wide that is. But what we tell our members and the community is stick to the speed limit and as best as you know, obviously to the kilometer, and you should be fine.
Speaker 2: But if you're in a situation like I mentioned on the bike, where you've suddenly got to speed up in order not to get caught in an accident, could you use that as a defense in court?
Speaker 10: Do you think if it went that far, it'd have to be pretty specific? So, I mean, what you're talking about is an incident where you're about to have an accident where you had to speed up. I'm not sure how often that would happen, and it would all happen right in front of the lens of a camera. So I mean our advice is, you know, if you're at risks, slow down, don't speed up right.
Speaker 2: And in New South Wales they've got these speed cameras predominantly used for heavy vehicles like trucks and buses. But this trial, that's underway for regional areas is now going to include cars and motor bikes as well.
Speaker 13: Yeah, that's right. So the point to point cameras or average.
Speaker 10: Speed cameras have been rolled out across New South Wales and used for trucks for a number of years. The government is looking to run a trial, or has been running a trial in four locations across regional New South Wales to apply those cameras to vehicles, to cars and to bikes. They have also been issuing warning letters to people who drove through those location speedting but that all changes on the first of July.
Speaker 13: So if you go through that location.
Speaker 10: In your speeding you will get you'll be fined. You'll get demerit points and a monetary fine like you normally would. And the way those cameras work is there's a camera at point A, there's a camera at point B.
Speaker 13: It works out the average speed betwe between the.
Speaker 10: Two and if you cross those two locations faster than you should, you'll be usue to find Let me ask.
Speaker 2: You this quickly, Well, I've got you. We talked about this on air the other night that in Adelaide, in some residential areas they're looking at putting the speed limits down to forty kilometers an hour in some areas and some areas thirty kilometers an hour, and we were talking about whether reducing the speed in residential areas to that speed limit is actually more detrimental, that it's actually going to cause more accidents because you're constantly aware looking down at your spaedometera, worrying about trying to keep within the limits.
Speaker 10: And here in lies the challenge. And this is the nmas yew on. This has been consistent from day one. Councils should not be arbitrarily changing speed limits in their local area to deem forty k zones or as you mentioned, thirty k zones. Even more so, you need a consistent approach when it comes to putting speed limits, whether they go up or down. It needs to be evidence based. It needs to be driven by data. And what I mean by that is you need to look at the performance of the road, the traffic volumes, because that's really important because that gives you a sense of whether you speed should be sixty or seventy or fifty, keeping in mind school zones are forty.
Speaker 13: It needs you need to look at the crash history and it needs to be done over an.
Speaker 10: Extended period of time so that the speed is set at the appropriate level for the quality of that road.
Speaker 13: And before you start changing speed limits, you should.
Speaker 10: Be looking at whether or not there are engineering solutions things we can do to make the road safer. This arbitrary approach of just randomly dropping speed limits in some locations and all the others is not going to deliver road safety outcomes. What it's going to do is create confusion in the community. People, as I said, start having to guess what the speed limit is in the local area. And that's unfortunately the path that we're going down. Councils are just slashing speed limits in some locations. Some roads are forty, some roads are fifty. You can't tell the difference between the two. Some roads that should.
Speaker 13: Be fifty or sixty you have dropped or forty.
Speaker 10: Some roads are really good to drive on, but the speed limits just been dropped with no real explanation.
Speaker 13: So that's not what we want.
Speaker 10: We want consistency when it comes to speed limits. The decision should be evidence based, not arbitrary, and that should apply whether you're putting speed limits up or down. And I consistently say up because in the case of West Connects the speed limits and North Connects the speed limits went up to ninety kilometers an hour off the back of a year's analysis to decide whether or not they were safe enough to be ninety or not eighty. That's the approach we should be taking. They're not doing it here, and it's going to lead to pour out.
Speaker 2: And also you've got the lack of consistency as well. If you think a road is a certain limit and in the next day it's changed without any warning, half the time you don't know. Like you say, if you're moving from variable speed limits from one suburb to the next, it's hard to keep up with which speed limit you're supposed to keep too on your regular drive to work.
Speaker 10: The previous government removed warning signs for mobile speed cameras. They were finding more people in a month than they were in a year, and overwhelmingly the feedback we got from the public was were guessing the speed limit, which we didn't know what the speed. They were putting these things in suburban streets where people were either lived there for years and just thought the speed limit was what it was, or in areas where the speed limits had been adjusted and the cameras were just dropped in without any warning people. You don't want drivers guessing the speed limb and the more we change speed limits, the more it's the more arbitrary it becomes. Where each council just chooses to put whatever speeds they want in their own LGA. With the inconsistency causes confusion. Confusion cause is both unsafety and also you lose support for the enforcement program because it feels like they're just finding you in areas where they can.
Speaker 2: Ran could have taught you that pity career there from the NRMA. Any thoughts on that you can text me now zero four six zero eight seven three eight seven three it's five to five one minute to five. Joyce says on the text. The only reason New South Wales can brag is because you've got about ten teams to get players from. We've got three. A lot of our best players have retired due to injury age. We're training new guys. That's the reason why New South Wales can be at the moment really gleeing. New South Wales was in the same position eight years ago. It's a bit early, isn't it, to cry, poor joy We'll wait and see what happens. A little bit later on tonight with the State of Origin, ste said, Phil read the speed and revenue cameras. Have you heard of the blade runners in the UK? I haven't, stew Let me google that and see some more information about that. Then I can give you a comment. And also Gaz says well, Albow must be talking to world leaders about trade and defense. Must be the first time in twenty years that climate change didn't make it to the press release. How the activists have lost interest? First Greta and now Albow. That came in from Gazz there too, and also got one from Ruth. Ruth, I'll have a look at your text. In just a moment, we're going to get to the news update and find out what's going on in your newsroom and also more out of a look at the overnight news as it's been breaking while you've been asleep.
Speaker 1: This on two GB, four BC and network stations. This is Wake Up Australia with Phill O'Neill.
Speaker 2: Hello, Yes here, we are middle of the week, almost the middle of the year too. It's Wednesday, the eighteenth of June and it's a little bit cold everywhere. Eight degrees in Sydney feels like five eleven in Brisbane feels like eleven. But things are about to get warm with the state of Origin. Margaret just wanted to respond to Joy's text before and said, what's Joy talking about? She says, Queensland has three teams to get players from the state of origin. For start, Queensland has four teams in Queensland can get players from any ANRL club because the player could be originally from Queensland. So the RG Bargie's getting set to kick off. The great Man Mike leave you with a continuous call later on tonight at the state of Origin getting us in that direction. The other great man number one breakfast announcer in Sydney, Ben Fordham coming up at five point thirty this morning, Levy after him, Peter Vegan four BC in Brisbane and state of origin is what everybody's talking about when they're not talking about politics, of course, And if you're going to talk about politics while you've got to talk about Donald Trump, how can you not This is some of the things that have been happening overnight while you've been asleep. Donald Trump, who was in Calgary for the G seven meeting, decided not to have his meeting with Anthony Albanesi or the Indian Prime Minister, or Vladimir Zelensky for that matter. Donald Trump decided to get on the plane and head back to Washington, where he's convened with his security council, and they're talking about the next port of call, next bit of action. What that is is anybody's guest. Donald Trump tweeted out on his truth Social that we know exactly where the so called Supreme Leader is hiding. He's an easy target, but is safe there. We're not going to take him out in brackets kill at least not for an hour. But we don't want missiles shot at civilians or American soldiers. Our patients is wearing thin. Thank you for your attention to this matter, says Trump on truth Social. He also said he went onto tweet later on we want unconditional surrender, and we have taken control of the skies over Iran. It's not very much happening at the moment. It's a pivotal moment in the Israel Iran conflict, and a lot of it seems to be also on the show to the shoulders and the focus of Donald Trump at this particular stage, nothing. I expected to maybe some more information throughout the morning and overnight, nothing came into us. I've been keeping an eye on all of the channels that I've got going on here in the studio, got your CNN, Fox News, and your Sky News. But at this particular stage, nothing going on. Although Fox News have got themselves the nice little graphic going on at the moment and they are talking about bunker busters. What's going to happen, don't know. Stay tuned this radio station throughout the day to find out what's going on. In the meantime, Iran's eighty six year old Supreme leader, Aetola al Phamini, seen his major military and security advisors killed by Israeli air strikes, so he's at the moment cutting a lonely figure. This leaves major holes in his inner circle and raises the risk of strategic errors, according to five people familiar with his decision making process. In the meantime, US forces have pulled out of two more bases in northeastern Syria, accelerating the troop withdrawal that the commander of the US backed Syrian Kurdish forces said was allowing a resurgence of Islamic State. Donald Trump has called for Iran's unconditional surrender, warning that the US patients is wearing thin, but there's no immediate intention right now to kill the Iran leader. As the Israel Iran war wages on now for the fifth day, fifth day, it feels like it's been going along, that doesn't it. Israeli Defense Minister Israel Katz said meanwhile that Iran Supreme Leader could face the same fate as the Iraqi President Sudam Hussein did when the US toppled the Iraq in that invasion in two thousand and six. Ukrainian President Vladimir Zelenski's arrived in Canada hoping to meet up with Donald Trump, same as Albo did. No Donald Trump there. In the meantime, Zelenski has urged the Group of Seven to provide more backing for the war against Russia. Even after US President Donald Trump left the summit heading home the G seven nations, the Wealthy Nation struggled to find unity over the conflict in Ukraine, as Trump expressed support for Russian President Vladimir Putin and also has imposed tariffs on many of his allies. In the meantime, as you know, Albo was hoping to catch up with Donald Trump. It didn't happen, and that prompted this response from both Richard Miles and Susan Lee.
Speaker 1: Well, this is essentially the American president needing to deal with what is obviously.
Speaker 9: Playing out in the world today.
Speaker 12: We shouldn't be reading more into it than that.
Speaker 14: It should not be left for Australia to just seek meetings as important as this on the sidelines of an international summit ran as.
Speaker 2: Far as far as the escalating Israel Iran conflict is going. I had a chant yesterday afternoon with doctor Benzala, the senior lecturer in international relations at Monash School of Social Sciences. So I'll have that for you in just a moment. It's coming up to thirteen minutes past five. Just a further, just a further text in the joy v. Margaret Queensland v. Blues Stoush. On the text, Joyce says, oh, yeah, forget about the Dolphins, but they stole players from our three clubs to make that team work. Margaret, let's see what happens tonight. Well, we'll find out a little bit later on, of course, when the match happens morning Andrew, thank you so much for your text. Here too, another cold morning working in my caravan, getting up at four point thirty to go to work. Well, in Sydney, of course it is quite cool. It's about eight degrees, but it feels more like five eleven. In Brisbane feels like eleven and it is thirteen minutes past five, sixteen minutes past five. Oh, this could go on all morning, but it won't because Ben Forden's on the way soon. But Margaret is just responding to Enjoy by saying that you have to stop being aggressive and nasty I MC Queenslander and just pointing out the facts, says Margaret. Wow, the RG Bargie's on just ahead of the game and you'll hear it throughout the day. Here all of the action about state of origin on this year radio station where it is seventeen minutes past five. Ben Fordham on two GB five thirty, Peter Vegan in Brisbane on four BC. Pete seg HeiG Seth just said that America is postured defensively in the region. What that actually means. Trying to break down that particular word salid is in a whole other story. So let's get to this. I had a chat with Dr Benzali yesterday. He's a senior lecturer in international relations at Monash School of Social Scientists, and I wanted to know what the update was from his perspective in the escalating Israel Iran conflict.
Speaker 12: Well, further developments as ever in terms of reprisals from both sides, of course, but the wider diplomatic circumstances is developing a little bit as well. In President Trump has put out something on his social media account telling the citizens of Tehran, the capital of Iran, effectively, to evacuate. So that means we should expect further Israeli tax and obviously attacks on Tehran on this major population center. So it looks like the conflict is going to continue to asalate from here at least for the next few days.
Speaker 2: How involved were America getting now, so this is.
Speaker 12: A little hard to tell. I mean, I think the Trump administration's basic instinct on this is to appear to be at arms length, but they're clearly, very very closely in touch with the Israelis. They had advanced warning of the attack. Trump has not given public approval or sort of green the attack as such, but also isn't criticizing the Israelis in so doing either, so they're clearly across the details of it, but they're certainly not involved. There's no American military involvement at this stage anything like that, and I expect that to remain the case. The other thing that has developed over the days gone on at this G seven meeting, it was actually the French President Emmanuel Macrong has said to reporters that apparently the Trump administration is trying to brok us some kind of ceasefire between the two, but we don't really have any details on that or any sense of the likelihood of that coming off.
Speaker 2: I read that the USS Nimics was heading towards that region. Would that be used in a defensive.
Speaker 12: Role, that's my assumption. Yes, some other forces have also been moved towards the region, including some anti drone forces that were destined for Ukraine. They're really going to the region to shore up the defenses around US military bases and other military assets in the region, to ensure that in its response to Israel's attacks in its retaliations, Iran doesn't target US forces in the region.
Speaker 2: And we've seen UK support. How much more will they get involved.
Speaker 12: I think the British are in a very similar position. So they too have military bases in the region, so they're moving some forces there essentially for the same purpose, to effectively deter Iran from attacking anything other than Israeli targets.
Speaker 2: At this stage, what's the purpose of evacuating all of these Iranian citizens?
Speaker 12: Do you think it's not entirely clear. Israel II has issued warnings today, not dissimilar to how it's some of the warning warnings ahead of bombings of Palestinian areas in the Gaza Strip. This is really about trying to appear to be minimizing civilian casualties from one are very large scale attacks. Clearly what they're going to be in densely populated civilian areas. So I think we should expect further fairly large scale attacks in the coming sort of hours or over the next twenty four hours or so.
Speaker 2: And do you think Israel underestimated Iran's ability to respond?
Speaker 12: Not so much. I think the Israelis will have anticipated this. Basically, both sides have known that this was a relatively likely outcome for years. Really, the Israelis have talked about engaging a military strike against Iran's nuclear program for years, They've been talked out of it by the Americans on a number of occasions. It also fits with a wider pattern of activity. The Israelis did this against a nuclear reactor in Iraq in nineteen eighty one. They did it to Syria and two thousand and seven, so Israel has sort of always favored the use of military forces and sabotage and targeted assassinations. They also assassinated a series of Iranian nuclear scientists about a decade ago, so this is no surprise to the Iranians, who have obviously therefore been preparing their response, and therefore the Israelis knew that the Iranians would be responding as well. So in a sense, both sides of these attacks have been quite extensive and relatively devastating, but nothing I don't think will have greatly surprised either side, other than to say the initial attacks by Israel were probably a little more successful than the Iranians might have anticipated, particularly given Israel's ability to get its intelligence forces Mossad forces into a on Iranian soil beforehand to conduct sabotage operations against some of Iran's anti aircraft capabilities to ensure that the Israeli airplanes could fly in unimpeded hit those targets.
Speaker 2: And there's talk of the Iranian nuclear facilities being severely damaged, if not destroyed. But there's also talk and speculation of a dirty bomb. Do you think there's anything in there.
Speaker 12: To be honest, I don't, And so the idea of a dirty bomb is this is a conventional explosive that spreads radioactive material, so it's not a nuclear explosion, but it's just an explosion that basically has a nuclear material packed around it. I don't see the prospects of that in the short term. I think it's fairly unlikely in terms of the damage to the Iranian nuclear facilities. Look, Iran hadn't yet developed the nuclear weapons, so this is a preemptive strike to prevent Iran from doing so. Right, So it's not that nuclear weapons have been knocked out, But the question becomes how much damage of the israelis done to these sites. How far back has this put the program? So if Iran now like Iraq did after it was at tag by Israeli in eighty one, if it decides to really double down and really redouble its efforts and the sort of the fast breakout to a nuclear weapons capability. The question is what's their capability to do that?
Speaker 10: Now?
Speaker 12: How damaged are these facilities and a number of them are very deep underground and they've been hardened under multiple layers of concrete because the Iranians have been anticipating this for some years. So we won't know the answer to this for some time. And there are conflicting the reports. The Israelis are saying they've destroyed lots and they've caused all sorts of damage to the underground facilities. There's been some statements from the International Atomic Energy Agency saying they've got no reports of that so far, and they're in touch with operators at the facilities. So we just won't know for a while. But that's going to be the kind of six million dollar question over the next couple of weeks, just how successful have those attacks been on the deep, hardened underground facilities.
Speaker 2: The US Secretary of Defense Pete Hegseth said that the US is taking up a defensive position as this conflict rages on. Are they talking about a defensive position do you think for Israel? Or a defensive position for their own bases in the area.
Speaker 12: My sense is at the moment it's the latter. They're just trying to defend their own interests here. At the same time that the US Secretary of State, Marco Rubio has been making this repeated statements saying we're not involved in these strikes, and I think President Trump has repeated that as well. So I don't think the US is going to want to be seen to be aiding Israel directly in that sense. I don't think they're going to see American forces being involved. It's possible they may become involved at some point in terms of shooting down incoming rockets and so forth, but I think for now they're focused more on defending their own military assets in the region.
Speaker 2: That's doctor Benzala, senior lecturer in International relations at Monash School of Social Sciences, and I had a chat with him yesterday afternoon about the escalating Israel Iran conflict and just looking up at Fox News, as I said, I want all of the major news channels on here in the studio. Fox News just had General Joseph Votel, who's a Middle East Institute military fellow retired, saying that Trump is in the situation room meeting at the moment, strikes are on the table. We'll keep you updated on that obviously throughout the day here on this radio station. Steve, thank you for your text, and also Chris at Engadeen as well. One more text here, as much as I had to hate to say it to Queensland will win tonight and it'll be a cracker of a third game and the decider in Sydney. Well that's a big call. Thank you so much for that text, and of course you will find out about how the game goes with the Big Call and continuous call team with the great Mike Leavy tonight coming up here on TWOGB four BC as well Peter Vegan on four BC coming up in a moment. And in Sydney, yesterday's rating made two GB Sydney's number one radio station. Thank you so much for that and also of course making Ben Fordham again Sydney's number one rating breakfast announcer and Ben we'll have more details about everything going on later on. Told to you later