Speaker 1: Onto GB.
Speaker 2: This is Sydney now with.
Speaker 3: Clinton Wednesday, June seven three. It is Clinton Maynard here at twelve point seven degrees at the moment in the city. The feels like temperature is seven point seven. Now, I know it's winter. This is a first world problem, but it's a bit early in the year, isn't it. And police a little bit cold drizzle around Sydney, cold winds hazard a surf. We have two cold fronts that will sweep Southeast and New South Wales over the weekend as well. The only people celebrating will be those who are operating the ski resorts. The snowmaking is going to ramp up tonight. Now coming up on the show today, the first economic health check has been released since the election was held. And this isn't great. The economy, as you've been hearing, has grown by just one point three percent. What does that mean? Look, what it means is you take at immigration, you take out population growth. We're going back quits. We are now in a per capita recession once again. The new Shadow Treasure of Ted O'Brien will be on the program. There could be bigger penalties on the way for dog owners who take their pump for a walk and don't pick up the pooh. We're going to find out more about that. More on the black market tobacco problem. I've had a conversation today or fair with one of the inspectors who is doing his best, but quite simply he his colleagues are being swamped. Plus, Lucy Zelich's back with me after four point thirty. She had an experience at the monster trucks and this is increasingly rare. Keep listening to find out about that. You are my eyes and ears when it's happening in Sydney now, so text me zero four zero eight seven three eight seven three have you say one three one eight seven three Well in Sydney now. There has been a horrible workplace accident in Padstow. Adam dewbries from Fire and Rescue New South Wales and has the details. Adam, what's occurred?
Speaker 4: Yeah, good o'klinton afternoon about just after help us to Fire Rescue New South Wales specialist rescue teams. I was currently working with New South Wales Ambulance paramedics to free a man who's somehow got is haend and for trapped in a meat processing grinder out there on Gower Street. Now pretty complex operations. The paramedics will continue to stabilize and treat that casually. Generally what happens here is firefighters will move in. The first option is to just really try and unwind the machine manually or the powers opposite threat. But we could be going into actually unbolting and pulling the machine apart, or more complications could occur where we actually have to strategically and do some very precarious cuts of the machine to free that.
Speaker 3: So just to confirm that Adam the man still his arm is still within the meat grinder.
Speaker 4: Yeah, that's right, it has gone up and in. So we're just not too sure the actual specifics at this stage, but the initial information what he was conscious, he was aware of where he was, but no doubt heves stated distress understandably. But look he's got the best help there with those New South Wales Ambulance paramedics and and they're Fire Rescue New South Wales Rescue technicians scene working together to three and getting out of area as quickly as possible to further treatment.
Speaker 3: And just to clarify Adam, where's it actually happened.
Speaker 4: It's happening the commercial property there and this is on Goustreet at past. That's a pretty commercial area.
Speaker 3: Down me okay, Gustreet Past. Thank you for letting us know about that and keep us updated. And our thoughts are with that man so so right at the moment, the paramedics and they'll bring specialists in there are trying to help that man. He is conscious, which is a good thing. It's ten past three. Well police are investigating almost forty break ins across Western Sydney. This involves and it's it's a curious case. It involves teenagers and a woman aged in her forties now. A couple of months ago in the program, we spoke to you about a crime wave through Penrith and often teenagers and this may well be related because there's been a string of quite serious robberies involving the three people allegedly who've been arrested today. Detective Superintendent Trent King is the Nepean Police Area commander and joins ustuff. Thank you for your time, commander, No.
Speaker 5: Thank you, Clint, thank you for having me on.
Speaker 3: The arrests have been made this morning. How do they unfold?
Speaker 5: Yeah, no, look, thank you. First of all, about three o'clock this morning, a forty two year old woman and an eighteen year old man were arrested near a supermarket up at Winmalee at the time. It's alleged that the man was smashing the glass window of the premises in in an attempt to break into the premises and the woman was sitting in a vehicle just nearby. So they were both arrested on scene and the vehicle was also seized. And following on from that about ten o'clock this morning, a further eighteen year old man was also arrested at a residence in Blackett and taken to Mount Dryolt Police station in connection with this investigation that's been ongoing for about two weeks now.
Speaker 3: So you are alleging the police investigating this case alleging that as many as thirty nine businesses, many of them takeaway stores, have been targeted over May.
Speaker 5: Yes, that's right, So we've identified since the thirteenth of May, thirty nine offenses at are linked. They all target small businesses, cafes, supermarkets in local shopping centers where hammers are used to smash the smash the windows at the front of the premises and cash and goods are taken from the premises.
Speaker 3: During those crimes those break ins, had people been injured or were there not any people within those premises at the time.
Speaker 5: No, So we're saying that all of these have occurred somewhere between sort of two am and am, whilst everyone's are not in the premises.
Speaker 3: Some of those are small businesses as well, then they Copper financial hit.
Speaker 5: Yeah, Look, we're estimating that the losses including repairs to the front of the premises at the moment are probably in excess of one hundred and fifty thousand dollars for these local small businesses, and you know, the impact on them is significant. You know, the viability potentially going forward could be impacted by what has been done by this group with complete disregards for the local community.
Speaker 3: And is the allegation that the forty two year old woman that you have in custody, that she was you might say, mastermind behind this and that she recruited younger people to carry out the crimes.
Speaker 5: So the allegation we have at the moment is that she was the coordinator of this campaign and use young men to assist with the offenses, including her own son.
Speaker 3: Okay, we'll follow that as it plays out in court. Thank you for your time. No, thank you, Detective Superintendent Trent King from the Nepean Police Area Command.
Speaker 2: If it matters to you, you'll hear it here Sydney now with Gwinton Maynard until.
Speaker 3: Six King's Birthday, long weekend this weekend, and you know what that's going to mean. Yes, unfortunately, petrol prices are going up in Sydney. The average price now sits at a dollar eighty three point eight cents a later. Should you be filling up now or waiting? Peter Cooy's from the NRAMA. Peter, is it a good time to fill up today or wait a few more days?
Speaker 4: Yeah?
Speaker 6: Good a mate, No, definitely do it now. It's just going to keep going up with the price cycle. It's been heading up now for about a week and a half. It's gone up fifteen sansum. We think it'll probably get over a dollar ninety. So the longer await, the higher the average is going to be. And also there are still a stair a few bars and around Sydney, so yes, I'd be filling up now.
Speaker 3: Petrol has been relatively compared to the last few years. For the last probably a couple of months, reasonably cheap.
Speaker 6: Yeah, it is, and it has been because oil prices have been steadially falling. So the whole stale price right now in Sydney is a dollar fifty seven, which is which is you know, as good as it's been for a while. And we are going up because of the price cycle. But when we do fall, we'll probably get back to an average of just above a dollar sixty. So it's just that unfortunately, heading into the June Long weekend, the price cycle has been absolutely working against us.
Speaker 7: It was the.
Speaker 6: Opposite over Easter and the end Zact Day long weekend. So yeah, not great for families. But as I said, about half the service stations in Sydney right now are still below a dollar sixty three, and get on the NROMA app because we can point you to those servos pretty easily.
Speaker 3: Is this as simple as profiteering ahead of a long weekend?
Speaker 6: Look, it's not to be fair because as I said, we knew the cycle was going to turn.
Speaker 8: So a week and a.
Speaker 6: Half ago the average in Sydney was in the low one sixties. It's unfortunate that the turn has occurred as we're heading into the June Long weekend. Profiteering will depend on how high we get. So for example, right now in Melbourne they're at the top of their price cycle. The average is a dollar ninety seven. That's way over what they should be paying. So Sydney gets to that price then absolutely we're being overcharged, but hoping, we're hoping that maybe another seven cents on the average before it starts before.
Speaker 3: Okay, Philip tonight, if you can see below a dollar sixty three leader, thank you, Peter, Cheerswe Peter Coury from the NRMA. You'll find the Metro in Blacktown a dollar sixty five point nine. There's the Mestron Bankstown selling for a dollar forty nine point five. On the way to work this morning, there was a Shell tarran Point Road Tarrant Point was selling below a dollar fifty and they're usually a more expensive petrol retailer as well. So today is the day to do it. If you find petrol below a dollar sixty three, elite by it we have a winner. Officially, the AEC has just confirmed in the last couple of minutes that the recount for Bradfield has been completed and the Teel Independent candidate Nicolette Bullet has been declared the winner final margin of twenty six votes over the Liberal candidate, Gizel Capterian. Now I'm reading from an official statement from the AEC. They say ballot paper formulity determinations made during the initial distribution of preferences led to a margin in favor of eight for the Liberal Party candidate. Now this is before the recount, So as of late last week we told you that Gazelle cap Tirian had won based on a margin of eight. Further rulings on ballot paper formality during the recount process has seen this change, which historically is not uncommon in a recount. The final margin of twenty six in favor of the independent candidate is similar to where it stood at the completion of the previous indicative two party preferred count, they say, as evidenced in previous elections, it is very common in tight contests and recounts for further rulings to be made on ballot paper formality during a recount. Each individual ballot paper is very closely scrutinized by the AEC counting staff, with challenges made by candidate appointed scrutinieres. So they're trying to explain why this has taken so long. They literally look at every single ballot paper very closely. These challenges are then dealt with in accordance with the Commonwealth Electoral Act, so that means from here formally, Nicolette Buller is declared. She is declared the winner of Bradfield. However, it's not necessarily over. There is the possibility that the Liberal Party could seek legal action. They could go to the Court of Disputed Returns for instance. But as things stand now, the AEC has declared Nicolette Buller the winner of Bradfield. So it's all over the boot party across most of the cities north Now, if you've got a view, what is it? One three one eight seven three, how do they rebuild? Is it a lost cause? In areas of the North Shore? One three, one eight seven three is my number zero four six zero eight seven three eight seven three. This is Sydney. Now come to your calls in the moment one three, one eight seven three, particularly if you see cheap petrol across the city. Newcast sales figures have just been released for the last month. The Twitter Highlucks his number one, Ford Ranger, number two, RAB four is number three, but This is interesting. The first year on year increase in electric vehicle sales for twenty twenty five has been recorded. So the number of evs sold in the last month, it's now more than ten thousand and now. It was down a little bit on the previous month, but when you compare it year on year, electric vehicle sales have actually bounced back a little because the trend has been going down. Last month, overall new vehicle sales filled by one point six percent to one hundred and nine four hundred and twenty five one three one eight seven three. Graham on petrol prices, Hollo Graham.
Speaker 9: Llo, mate, how are you good? Good mat that bloke from the Nrima. I believe him as much as I believe the government. We've got a local servo that was e ten or ninety one one or the other was a dollar fifty three I think point nine for about a week and a half and that was it. Definitely was like two days ago. I drove fast. This morning it's jumped up to two O seven point nine.
Speaker 3: The argument often is that the disc is removed, but it's funny that the Discoumpany River occurs just before the long weekend.
Speaker 9: Well, it hasn't gone up by five to ten or fifteen cents a leader. No, that's gone up by about fifty or sixty.
Speaker 3: Yeah, and it doesn't make any sense. Good on your graham, John says. At lunch time, the fuel in the Southern show is up to two dollars and seven per liter. So that's right. I saw it below one hundred. It was one hundred and forty nine one forty nine in Tarran Point this morning. Anne Marie says, Wentworthfield has ninety one selling at one hundred and forty nine one dollar forty nine point three cents a leader. So that's a bargain. So you will find it cheaper at the moment, but over the next twenty four hours it'll be going straight back up. Twenty four past three, Richard says, another liberal moderate bites the dust. So Giselle cap tire In certainly from the moderate wing, you might say, the left wing, from the Labor Party. And she has failed in her bid to win the seat of Bradfield that was originally held by Paul Fletcher. So it is another TiAl seat that's gone. It's another liberal seat that's now gone to the tials. But this is what leads me scraps off my head with the process. And I've just read you the detail there from the AEC about how thorough the vote process and the count is. It's June four, the election was now more than a month ago. Now, what would have occurred if all the commentators were correct? They all predicted a very tight election nal role. But the thought going into the campaign was that we would have minority government. So a government whether it was Labor or the Coalition relying on independence to govern or minor parties that they had would have to win their support, just like when Julia Gillard became the Prime minister, she needed to support of those three independents such as Rob oau Shot And remember the press conference that he held the grand announcement. It seemed to go for about an hour before we actually were told who he was going to support, and he gave later his support. Well, that's nothing compared to what would have happened if it had been a tight election. Could you imagine if either Anthony Albernezi or Peter Dutton needed to rely on the outcome of this seat for the result of the election, would have been waiting a month potentially to know who the prime minister was. That's ridiculous.
Speaker 10: Now.
Speaker 3: I appreciate that we have a solid system of running elections. I don't think we have widespread voter fraud, for instance. And I appreciate that the AEC has gone to chapter and verse today about how far they are with the count and then the screwtineering process. But surely there is a faster way. Surely the AEC, for instance, can bring in some extra resources for tight seats where perhaps they work on Sundays, maybe they even count at nighttime, and bringing the scrutineers from the political parties to do the same thing. Because wouldn't it be unacceptable to think, if you had a tight election and elections in the future will become tighter, that we could be waiting a month before we know who the prime minister is. I know it seems far fetched because Anthony Albernesi had such a big win, but everybody up until the election was called, when the pole started turning in favor of Labor, everybody was predicting a tight election with minority government. Minority government would have meant that Anthony Abernizi would need a Nicolett Buller, for instance, to support him in the Lower House to form a government and we seriously could have been waiting until now. There must be a better way of doing it. The squad has just been announced for five T twenty Australia Internationals where we're taking on the West Indies in Jamaica and Saint Kitts next month in July. And this is a big out the all round of Marcus Steyness, who has the best name in Australian cricket. He's been dropped. Jake Fraser McGirk who's got a good name as well. He's been punted as well. But Marcus Steyness being left out is a big deal. The captain is Mitchell marsh On the text line thanks for your text, Sue, Sue says. The Pearl Service station Clarendon is selling ninety eight fuel for a dollar seventy five. Really the ninety eight the most expensive fuel, and Gary says a dollar fifty eight Elita at Doyleson and Ye so up on the Central Coach you can find petrol for a dollar fifty eight. Alder. Let's check our news headlines, a ne's.
Speaker 2: Update, upgrade and save with Winston with a wine, give twenty five percent of motorized blinds, curtains and awnings. Book now at Winston dot com dot au.
Speaker 3: Ay good afternoon, Josh Bryant, Good afternoon, Clinton.
Speaker 11: The Electoral Commission has now formally declared the result in the seat of Bradfield following a recount, Independent Nicolet Bowl winning the seat by just twenty six votes. Emergency services are on the scene where a man's arm has become stuck in a meat processing grinder in Sydney's West. They say it's a delicate operation to now try to get him free. A third festival has been selected to take part in the New South Wales government's pill testing trial. The Free Drug Checking to take place at the Hypodome Music Festival this weekend. And new data shows SUVs made up sixty percent of all new vehicle sales over the last month. Over All, Australians purchased one hundred and nine thousand cars in May, down slightly on the same time last year. In sport, all rounder Marcus Steiners has been dropped from Australia's T twenty squad for the upcoming international series against the West Indies. We'll have more news and sported for.
Speaker 3: Thank you, Josh. Twelve degrees in the city Terry Hills, so upwards of the northern beach is Terry Hills. It's less than ten degrees at the moment. Peter Ford coming up in just a moment one three, one eight seven three. Just a couple of calls about the Bradfield results. So Nicolett Buller, the teal candidate, has been officially successful. Hello Roger, here.
Speaker 12: You going to number down your way, Homo, good stuff. I reckon what I do. I'm eighty now and I just haven't voted for the last few years. I asked for a postal vote and I write on it four year terms so they can do their work in the middle. They get in one year, they say the other government did it all wrong. Take a little bit of time to do some work, and then they're planning to get out from the third year. They need four years. I won't vote for preferential. I want first past the post and I just write that across the postal vote and send it back.
Speaker 3: You wrote it on your ballot paper.
Speaker 12: That's right. Mark my name off.
Speaker 3: Good on you, Roger. You're making your point. You're doing democratic Walter, Hello Walter.
Speaker 10: Just a quick question.
Speaker 4: The commissions have declared.
Speaker 3: The vote, haven't they correct?
Speaker 6: But have they gone back and checked to see if anyone voted twice?
Speaker 3: My understanding is is part of the recount that actually was the process and part of the isn't that so slow? As they do do that, However, they can't tell if the person who has voted twice who they voted for. It's actually impossible because you don't mark your name down on the ballot paper.
Speaker 1: Well, could they open their books up and say, well, there was this many who voted twice?
Speaker 3: Good question, We'll see if we can find out what We'll make some inquiries with the AAC because it's a valid question. But think about it, because you don't put your name at the top of the ballot paper, it is impossible to know who they voted for.
Speaker 1: Until six.
Speaker 2: This is Sydney now with Clinton Maynard on two GB call now one three one eight seven three.
Speaker 3: There is some speculation around this afternoon, and it's been floating around for a couple of weeks, but it's ramping up today that the project could be dumped. From Channel ten. Peter Ford with the latest. Is it gone?
Speaker 1: Peete, Well, certainly no, nobody's making any attempt to deny it, but you're right. The tom Tom drums have been saying it for a couple of weeks now, and those Tom Tom drums are getting louder and louder. I know Steve Jackson at The Australian was floating at Rob mcnight has been floating it, and I would say it's definitely happening. So you may have read the reports where they've started up an investigative in affairs unit. Well, I think a lot of people thought that meant they were going to do something similar to sixty Minutes or Spotlight, a once a week in depth show. I'm told that's not the case. It is definitely a show that will replace the project, and it would seem sooner rub than later. With the people who are being hired to work on the show, they are basically being told to start as quickly as possible, so there does seem to be a real haste to it. Daniel Sutton is the person heading up the new show. Now, with the project, I mean it's been going a long time, and for the first few years it was quite successful, but it's fallen away of a time. They don't seem to have made any great attempt to fix it or to improve it. They did a shake up a couple of years ago, but it really was basically rearranging deck chairs on the Titanic. So I would expect there'll be an official announcement within a couple of weeks to say that it's gone and this new show, which is being done in house, will in part replace it. It's not going to be going five nights a week. I'm told it's four nights a week. Still unclear whether it's half hour or one hour, but either way, there'll be other product needed to fill the gap from the project.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I was tired about that project. You mentioned Daniel Sutton. I've known Daniel for a long time, so they've been working on this for a little while behind the scenes. And you can tell from the reporters that have been announced this week as joining Channel ten, including Amelia Brace from Channel seven, who's an exceptional reporter. She was actually involved in a Senate inquiring in the United States when she was a US correspondent. They've hired Dennis Hickhock a few others as well. They're hiring quite serious news journalists, so it's the likelihood is the program to be quite different from the project.
Speaker 1: Yeah, well that's a good thing. I mean I know people who've worked on the project and they when they've got out of it, they've said it was like being free of a cult. You know. They just seem to get very obsessed with being woke and indigenous place names and you know, getting bogged down and all that stuff, rather than just delivering good journalism. So look, watch with interest.
Speaker 13: But I don't get.
Speaker 1: Any delight about seeing any TV show getting the chop, but because ultimately it will mean some people will be thrown out of work, other people will gain jobs. But that's the industry and they certainly have had plenty of time to find success and they haven't been able to do it.
Speaker 3: And it's had a long run. Now, Pete, there is some big collage and I've used this afternoon.
Speaker 1: Well, she has been inducted into a very elite club. It's called the twenty one Club. And what this is. It's at the O two Arena in London and performers who have performed more than twenty one shows there get to become a member of this club. Prince was the first person to do it and basically after that, and they've actually got it. If you go to the Two Arena in London, they've got a special presentation on the walls with this sort of keys to the Two Arena and Kylie is now not only inducted into that club and she's actually done twenty four shows there now, not twenty one, but they had the presentation for her earlier today and she is actually the first female to be included now the other there's been a few groups such as One Direction and Take That, and male performers such as Prince, but she is the first female performer to actually get that honor.
Speaker 3: Oh good honor. She's an absolute legend of Australian music. Thank you, Peter, Thanks Clinton. Peter Ford. Our Entertainment corresponded twenty two to four. Now I had that question from Warren just a few moments ago about double votes in Bradfield. Well, I can confirm the AEC says it was actually very low. They have discovered ten ten multiple votes. They say that is well below the usual margin. They say in the few instances it appears to have been undertaken by confused and just to quote them, this is the AEC either by confused voters or quite elderly voters. The AEC is satisfied they were inadvertent and they were not deliberate. A second Australian man has been arrested in Bali, accused of drug smuggling in the space of a fortnight. Now this is an unrelated case to the man who's accused of importing cocaine. This is a forty year old man who's been arrested at a home in den Pissa den Phissas, the capital of Bali, following a trip with an Indian national. Allegedly, they were found with six hundred grams of marijuana at the international airport. Police found the stash when they raided the room. The Australian and the Indian man among five people who've been arrested, including two from Kazakhstan and one from the United States. It's now in Indonesia marijuana is considered in the same category as heroin, cocaine, meth. It is a Class one narcotic. The police in Bali will hold a press conference tomorrow and there'll be revealing more details about that. So all we know at the moment is a forty year old Australian man. He's not been publicly named yet the details of the charges they have not been revealed yet. But this is the second Australian man to be arrested in a fortnight on serious drugs charges. And while we here don't class marijuana in the same category, for instance, as cocaine, the other bloke was accused of in Indonesia. That has a different story, and you know the penalties in Indonesia much tougher than they are here. Cheap petrol around Sydney, Robin the text line says, I've just filled up with ninety eight So the top Ocdane fuel you go, which is the petrol station with Adny staff at Bonnie Rick for a dollar sixty eight liter and Raphael thank you a dollar forty seven point five for e ten at the Metro at Birrong. Well, if you're a pet owner and you live around the Eastern suburbs, in fact many other areas of Sydney, if you do the wrong thing, you could soon find yourself in a bit more trouble than you have in the past. There are some councils in Sydney who are going to crack down and they water crack down on pen owners who walk their dogs without being on a lead, or pet owners who walk their dogs and then dog does a number two and they don't pick up after Fidoh and I know that comment. You know, I'm a dog owner at annoys us all when you get dog pup on your front lawn, when you get dog pup in the park. There's currently a state government review into penalties and regulations when it comes to dogs and other animals in public spaces. At Waverley Council, more than five hundred breaches of off leash rules have been recorded in the last three years. Ranwick Council says residents are reporting off leach dogs as harassing kids and other dogs in local parks. So should the rules be tougher? Do you think there should be tough penalties if your dog does a pup in public and you don't clean up after it, should you cop a big fine? Dylan Parker is the mayor of Randwick. Thank you for your time, mare, good, good afternoon. What is the situation in Randwick at the moment that with dogs off.
Speaker 13: Leash at the moment, It's the same across lots of council areas. If you are in an off leash area then you're allowed to have your dog run free. Otherwise, if you're out and about, your dogs should be on a lead.
Speaker 3: But are you're finding plenty of incidents where the owners aren't doing that. Though they're using that, they're not using a lead in areas where they meant to.
Speaker 13: In the last five years, we've actually seen an explosion in dog ownership. Our area is an immune, but we're seeing plenty of reports of some naughty dog owners letting their dogs run off leash when they shouldn't. If it's in the designated area big tick, totally fine, But if it's in an area where they shouldn't be running off leash and they should be on a lead, we've seen an increase in that behavior and it's getting pretty tough for our rangers to manage as well. So it ultimately the rules are there for to keep everybody safe. Had some pretty awful dog attacks and our area hasn't been immune, and so we've put in a submission to tighten up some of the rules and we're really glad the miss Ups government's looking at it.
Speaker 3: Yeah, and the government's conducting that review at the moment. That's why he's put that submission in. But tell me, Dylan, what examples do you have when when dogs are off leash of problems they cause.
Speaker 13: To be totally honest, most dogs are really well behaved and owners are really proud and they make sure that their dogs are trained. But we see some really horrible, even really quite atrocious dog attacks. I've seen images of young children have been bitten on their arms as well as one on the face and are really quiet traumatized. And a severe dog attack, particularly by a dog, a big dog, can really traumatize someone for their life. It can be very life threatening.
Speaker 3: What if you just increase the penalties in the regulations around the attacks that occur rather than just off leash issues.
Speaker 13: So that's one of the things which we're calling for is currently the Companion Animals Act doesn't actually differentiate between types of dog attacks. If there's a minor kind of a fight between two small dogs, of course that should be treated differently than a major a dog attack, including on individuals. Currently they're all treated the same. It's a maximum penalty of thirteen hundred dollars. And what we're saying is that Council should be given more ability to on a case by case basis find someone according to what's happened. You don't want us dropping a huge fine on what is a minor incident, but if something is really bad, what our rangers are saying is that we don't have the tools in our toolkit to be able to find individuals. But what are some really awful attacks?
Speaker 3: Okay, Dylan, your submission is now before the state gub and thank you, Dylan. Dylan Park of the mare Ranwick. I'm in trouble with Danny, So Danny's to send a text mess it's saying it's dog poo poop is American? Please only use the word pooh. I was trying to actually censor myself there. I thought maybe poop was an easier way of getting away with saying pooh. Okay, Danny, I'll stick to it, dog pooh. Lauren Townsend is a counselor in Waverley. Hello Lauren. Tell me, Lauren, is dog poo a big problem in your neighborhood?
Speaker 14: Oh?
Speaker 15: Sure, I think it is everywhere, and we've had a similar influx of ownership since COVID, but particularly with people using the little bags and then just leaving the poo in the bag on the ground somewhere, not taking it with them.
Speaker 3: Oh what they go to the effort to pick up the pooh, put it in the bag and.
Speaker 15: Then is to dump it tie little not and leave it on the ground.
Speaker 3: Yeah, Lauren, that's not right.
Speaker 15: We're looking at things we can address, you can do to address that.
Speaker 3: So what do you want to see done about that?
Speaker 15: Or we're looking at the type of bags we have at the moment in Randwick, if we want to provide compost for one or biodegradable ones, and the benefits of each, pros and cons of each and benefits of each.
Speaker 3: Should I'd imagine it's actually quite hard to enforce fines and regulations around dog poo because I mean, there's no way of tracking who was responsible for the who left behind.
Speaker 15: Yeah, yeah, you're right there, it is unless you're caught red handed, or maybe not brown handed.
Speaker 3: Brown handed. Look, you actually have had plenty of serious instance as well, though, particularly in areas where dogs are supposed to be in the lead.
Speaker 15: Yeah, that's where we've had a lot of issues with Unfortunately other members of the public and even other dog owners, and some of these incidents can result in significant injury to humans and animals even death. As the smaller dog.
Speaker 3: So what sort of penalties do you want to see introduced?
Speaker 15: But I would like to see and what we have forward in our submission is an increase in the existing signs for repeat offenders, but not going to the level of criminalization.
Speaker 3: And Waverley Council has a submission before the state government as well. Yes, we do excellent, Well, we'll wait to see what the state goverment decides. Thank you, Lauren. Lauren Townsend who's a counselor with Waverley Council. So if this is all before Ron Honig, who's the local government minister. They're reviewing the Companion Animals Act and how to deal with it. Look, if the signs say that your dog can be off leash, go your hardest take the dog off leash. Otherwise, do the right thing and keep your dog on the lead. That's the best way to go about it. I don't know if increased penalties is the way to go. And it's impossible to enforce rules around dog pooh. Just if you've got a dog, do the right thing, pick up after it. And yeah, I know it's a pain, we've all got to do it. Though. If you've got a dog, you just got to carry the bag back home. Maybe the councils should actually put some more bins around their neighborhoods, in public spots where that you take the bag with you, you pick up the dog poo and you put it in the bin. What's your experience being one three, one eight, seven and three my number five to four. I've got some really good news. The man whose arm it appeared was stuck in a meat grinder at a premises in Padstow. The paramedics and the fire brigade and the other emergency services. They've now freed that man. He's been make to Saint George Hospital. Look, he's got an arm injury. The ambulance officers say, Look, it's probably could have been a lot worse. He's been really really lucky because his hand, and this sounds a little gruesome but quite graphic, his hand didn't reach the blade of the grinder. But so he's going to be okay. He's been fully conscious throughout this. He's been freed. He's been taken to Saint George Hospital. One three, one eight seven. Three are come to your calls on dogs and off leash areas and what we do about dog Pooh. The ASX two hundred coming up towards the close up sixty six points eighty five hundred and thirty three. The Comwealth Bank today has become the first ASX listed stock to be valued at more than three hundred billion dollars. The bank's share price so far this year has increased by seventeen percent. Today it's hit one hundred and seventy nine dollars eighty four cents, so a seventeen percent rise since the start of trading this year. At deb night. I'll have more details in Money News tonight. One eight seven three is our number. Charlotte's in Penrith? How does Penrith Council handle dog pooh? Charlotte?
Speaker 16: Hi, how are you?
Speaker 3: I'm good.
Speaker 16: Well, in Penrith, we're not allowed to put it in the green bags that we get given. It has to go in the ordinary red bin and that only gets emptied twice a week, so it can be quite smelly. And of course I thought it could go in a green bin because it's that type of material.
Speaker 3: To be honest, Charlotte, I've put dog poo in our green bin because sometimes the neighbor's dog doesn't poo on our front wall and I put in the green bin.
Speaker 16: Well, we actually got given a notice that if we continue doing that we'd get fine.
Speaker 3: Oh, the Penish City Council. They've done it again, Charlotte, thanks for letting me know about this. This is Pederis City Council that has threatened one of our listeners in Ludnum to find them because he had the temerity to use a bobcat do we enter a store wash out a storm water drain saved his neighbor from flooding, and said, well we can't do that. We're gonna We're gonna find you. Now they're finding people for putting dog poo in the green bit the garden bid. What's the green bin? Isn't that garden waste? Organic waste?
Speaker 17: Ah?
Speaker 3: Penrith council. They love a fine in Penrith, don't they go to the panthers? Hello Karen, Oh.
Speaker 18: Hello Clinton.
Speaker 13: Yeah.
Speaker 18: Up on the Gold Coast, the dog fine is over eight hundred dollars. It started at six over six hundred. Now they've put it up to over the eight hundred dollars mark. And when they come to find you, they have a police officer with them, so there's no warning.
Speaker 3: This is for dogs that are off the leash. They're bringing the police in.
Speaker 18: They have the police, a police with them as well from ending next to them, and you're give them no warning is straight up fine. And you also get fined if your dog's not microchipped or you haven't got the council tag, it's not registered with the council as well.
Speaker 3: I shouldn't laugh, and I'm not saying that dog owners should be free to have their dogs off the lead. Do the right thing, but we're seriously bringing in the police. Thanks letting me know about that. Karen David says on the text line, I wish councils would do something about cats not being controlled. I have five cats nearby. There's always cat poo on my lawn and the cat poo is much worse than the dog poo. Meanwhile, my little dog, whilst on a lead, has been attacked by cats on three occasions. Thanks you for that, David. I'm sorry your dog's got a problem there. Die says what councils should do they should have a return and earn station for dog poo. Well, I don't think. I don't think the counsel are gonna want to pay you to take the pooh back. I wouldn't think so, Annie says, Dogs off leash, Centennial Park, six o'clock in the morning, dogs ofs Liff ran at me quite dark. I did not see the dog. I fell over, called the owner on the dog, just walked on the arm. Didn't do anything between six and six forty in the morning. You go to the park daily than doing it for decades, and there are dogs off leash every single morning. Lucy Zilich, she's coming up in the next hour of the program and she's gonna have her say on dog poo.
Speaker 2: This is Sydney Now with Clinton Maynard on to GenB.
Speaker 3: Seven past four. Nicolette Buller, the successful Teal candidate in the seat of Bradfield, is now hanging her supporters outside her electric office in Sydney's North. She has accepted victory after the AEC declared she is the winner over Gazel Captirian, the Liberal, by twenty six votes. She's now spoken I'll bring you someon of that in a moment. Gesel Captirian has also released a statement I just went to cross to Foreign super Rescue Superintendent Adam Dubrey. There's been quite a serious house fire in Maryland's Adam What can you tell us there?
Speaker 4: Hi, Clinton, Yeah, we had a house has pretty well been destroyed out in Augustus Street at Maryland twelve thirty. We sent six fire trucks with about twenty two firefighters. Took an hour to get this fire under control and contained another couple of hours to get it completely extinguished. But our investigators have just come back to me and let me know that the most likely cause of this fire where the ignition is in and around a heater. I'm not quite cold now, it's getting cold, but just as importantly or more importantly, I want it for your listeners. And this is the third fire in a home that's destroyed a home within in less than a week that's been in and around a heater. So just need people to really take care with the heaters. Don't leave them on, close them up, don't overlaid your power points. But with the cold weather coming in quickly, just need people to be really conscious of how their heaters are, where they're using them, and how they're treating and make sure that they're all in good condition. Leave any good separation between your heater and anything that's flambeled. But as always make sure you've got those working smoke colums. If these wires fires were a bit later in the night tonight, we could be having a tragedy.
Speaker 3: Gee, thanks Lettings know about that, Adam Adam Dewy from Fine rescuing New South Wales. So the third house fight in the space of a week caused by a heater. It is only twelve degrees in the sea at the moment. In some parts of Sydney's western suburbs it's ten. Say. Look, a lot of people are going to be using heaters right now, take care with them.
Speaker 2: Be a part of Sydney. Now with Clinton Maynard called one three one eight seven three.
Speaker 3: The tier Independent Nicolette Buller has now spoken for the first time, accepting victory in the seat of Bradfield. The AEC has declared her the winner by twenty six votes of the Liberal Giesel Capterian.
Speaker 19: Now it's it's been a really tough and close contest here in Bradfield and I'm really looking forward to getting started on the job of giving people in Bradfield a really clear voice in our Federal Parliament. So thanks for joining me today.
Speaker 3: The count in the recount has taken four weeks. It's now a month since the election, but nicolete Buller says she trusts the process.
Speaker 19: I have every confidence in the process that the Electoral Commission has taken out and today's result, whether or not there is an appeal is not in my power and that's up to the other side. I'm in the business of getting on with making sure that the people of Bradfield have their interests and their voices heard in this next for the Parliament.
Speaker 3: Gazelle cap Tirian has also released a statement. She has accepted that the AAC has made this declaration today, but she does say she will be carefully reviewing the two counts, the initial count and the recount. Michael Packet is our federal political editor. Michael, what's that going to mean when Gazelle Captirian says she'll be reviewing the counts and obviously the Liberal Party, what's that process about?
Speaker 20: What that process about is about is that they've got to decide whether they're going to take this to the Court of Disputed Returns. Essentially that's the High Court. So it would be the High Court that would have to decide whether or not this final recount by the Electoral Commission stands or whether there should be a further recount or potentially even another election in that seat of Bradfield. So it'll be interesting to see what Gizelle Capteriian and the Liberal Party more broadly do decide. I would be surprised if there's another election to be held in that seat between Gizelle Capteririan and Nicolette Buller. I don't know that it will go that far. We've got to keep in mind Clinton, this is essentially the third time that votes in Bradfield would have been counted. There would have been the votes that would have been counted on the night May the third, there's always a recount of the votes, and now there's been this other recount, this final recount, for the third time of these votes. And essentially what the electoral commissioners said is that in the last two counts, the final result was very similar that essentially Nicolette Buller was ahead by about twenty six twenty seven votes. In the end, the final count came out that Nicolett Buller was ahead by twenty six votes. There was a final margin of twenty six. It is pretty close. And essentially, you know, Giesel Capteririan could think because it was such a close result, that there are grand to have this result contested through the courts.
Speaker 3: Of It's particularly given when the seat the initial count was finished last week. Well you might say that's almost a recount what happened last week. She was in front by seven, so she was in front of the Liberal Yeah she.
Speaker 20: Was, but that's but the count was still ongoing, right, that was the thing, you know, That's the thing like when these counts happen, is you got the Electric Commission doing them, then they stop, then they have you know, if they didn't, don't necessarily count over the weekend, that sort of thing. So the count was still ongoing. So one stage it was seesawing that Nicolette Buller was ahead, then Gieselle cap Purian was ahead. But finally when the count has all happened and there's scrutineers, there was two hundred scrutineers. I know, for the Nicole Buller point of view, there was two hundred people scrutineering for her. You'd assume there would have been almost a similar amount for Gieselle Capteriri and maybe a few less. But there were these scrutinieres that were looking at each individual ballot to see where people were placing their votes. So, in the end, what the Electoral Commission has said, once all is said and done, and once all of these votes have now been counted for a third time, Nicolette Buller has won by the twenty six votes.
Speaker 3: And in the statement that the AEC has put out today, they do address the question of multiple votes and they point out that the number is low. It's probably lower than usually that they experience.
Speaker 20: Yeah, that's right. So this is about whether or not people voted twice, maybe for different candidates in different booths, and there's different reasons why people might have multiple votes. But they're saying that in the Seed of Bradfield, the multiple vote count, as you say, is very low. I think someone was telling me that it was something less than ten or something like that, that there might in terms of voted twice.
Speaker 3: Yes, indication, And they say that there are some reasons for that day in their words, these votes may be undertaken by confused or quite illly voters. That's right to see. With the response in the Liberty in terms of whether they decide that there will be a challenge legally. Thank you, Michael, no problems, Michael Paki, our federal political editor. I have that statement now from Giselle cap tire In. It says the AEC is today completed the Bradfield automatic recount. I want to think the AAC officials. I want to also sincerely thank the many volunteers and within the party. She says. This recount has created a different result. While I was ahead at the conclusion of the original count, Miss Buller is now a head after this recount. I will now carefully review the two counts seven three. It's fourteen past four. There are some worrying new statistics for kids using e scooters. Research from Queensland Today has found that the number of e scooter injuries has seen that an average of two children per week are treated in hospital. Now this is just on the Sunshine Coast. The study has been completed by the Australian and New Zealand Journal of Public Health. At the Sunshine Coast University Hospital. Almost one hundred and eighty young people under the age of six required hospital treatment due to e scooter accidents in just two years. Now. Of course, this isn't just happening in Queensland. You know here we've got an issue when it comes to e bikes, particularly the fat boy bikes that I've been talking about from Hunts and e scooters. The government has now put forward what they wanted to do in terms of changing of regulations and it will see more of them used. The Children's Hospital Westmeat had a staggering four hundred percent increase in twenty twenty four for children suffering e scooter or e bike injuries. Terry Salvin is the CEO of the Public Health Association. He joins us, thank you for your time, Terry. It seems this research is quite alarming.
Speaker 10: Yeah, Clinton, I suspect it's probably confirming what a lot of people have been thinking about these e scooters as we see them with around our suburbs, towns and cities, and we're seeing people not necessarily wearing helmets, people of various ages. One wonders about their sobriety, one moner's about their age. This study specifically focused on kids, that is, that's a pediatric study under the age of eighteen, and identified it mostly being a teenage boys average age of fourteen and seventy one percent being male. Of the people who are injured in just one hospital in this area in the Sunshine Coast. But you know, anybody who's watching the behavior of ecod uses is probably not going to be surprised. And ultimately, what it does is point to a challenge that I think every jurisdiction has, every state and territory are how well we're regulating these things and trying to make them as safe as possible. Clinton, there's no perfect form of transport. Walking around the city, walking the streets, crossing the road, there's a risk, but obviously pedestrian is a pretty low risk. You go pretty slowly, and then of course the faster you go, the less protection you have around you, et cetera. Motorbikes and so on. One of the big issues here, Clinton is we've got different rules in different jurisdictions, different age limits as to how old people need to be before they can ride them, and then different levels and the way the existing rules are being implemented, And what we don't have is a systematic mechanism of recording when the injuries occur and in what circumstance.
Speaker 4: So obviously a.
Speaker 10: Starting point is have far better information so that we can judge where the best policies lay and how we can minimize the damage of the people who use them.
Speaker 3: What sort of injuries are most common?
Speaker 10: Broken bones, busted heads is a very non technical term for cranny of facial injuries. There's been some problems and lots of skin loss, skin abrasions and so on to skin burns, even when you're going even faster. There has been loss of life. Only this week we saw in Western Australia a fifty one year old gentleman who was a pedestrian who got hit by a nie scooter who was ridden by a twenty four year old and died as a result. So we do know there are fatalities, but you know, there's a range of relatively minor injuries up to really significant injuries. And we have seen cases of people who had very major brain trauma as a result of these kind of crashes.
Speaker 3: Oh look, I read some information just a couple of days ago. Now this was for e bikes. But the number of injuries that are internal abdominal injuries, spleen injuries that are caused by the rider when they crash, that the handlebars literally entering their abdomen.
Speaker 10: Yeah, and there's a challenge when it comes to injury prevention. Looking at all of the driving forces, i'd probably separate d bikes from these scooters. In as much as we've been apply pretty much the same rules for bicycles, whether they're entirely muscle powered or in part powered by electronic support, the battery and the like. But e scooters is the area where we probably have less consistent rules. We've got a lot of experience managing bicycles and there's an expectation and the rules are wearing a helmet, et cetera, and there's pretty consistent rules as to who can use them and in what circumstance or we're seeing across the country is quite substantial rules in Queensland and in the Act you can ride them from the age of twelve or thirteen, and the amount of road experience of the twelve or thirteen year old has in riding a vehicle that can go up to twenty five kilometers an hour and in some cases even faster, really does invite a whole lot of increased risk of these kind of series injuries.
Speaker 3: Certainly does thank you for your time, Terry, good on you choose mate Terry Slevin, who's the CEO of the Public Health Association, and that's half the issue. There are different rules in different states. Finally, the new South Wales government is getting serious about having some rules. The question is going to be whether pedestrians for ins and is going to be happy sharing the pathways with scooters. Three one eight seven three A number twenty three past four. Word on the street thanks to temper, A great night's sleep night after night. The difference is temper. If you see something in the roads we need to know about semia text message zero fourth zero eight seven three eight seven three. Fortunately the road. They are actually going okay this afternoon, relatively despite the fact they're quite damp in this wet weather. Police are still looking for three men following a violent home invasion in the Western suburbs this morning. This occurred at Warrington Downs about twenty past one in the morning. Fifty five year old man was attacked with a hammer. Police from the Nepoleon Area Commands so say three men with a machete and a hammer forced their way into the house. It was in ball replace, Wearrington Downs. They attacked the man at home, the fifty five year old, with the hammer. They then fled in the large suv he's been treated in hospital. He should be okay, but police are still looking for that man. Twenty four past four, the ASX two hundred is closed a day up seventy five points eighty five hundred and forty one. That comes in the same day that GDP figures have been released. That shows, technically we are back in a technical what you'd say, a per capita recession. The economic growth figure for the year is one point three percent, but for the last quarter it was zero point two percent. You take out population growth and yes, immigration and we actually went back. I'll be speaking with the shadow Treasure of Ted O'Brien after the five o'clock news one three one eight seven three. We're talking at est scooters. New research out of Queensland shows a big jump in the number of kids who are injured on them.
Speaker 17: Hollo, Jenny, Hike Clinton.
Speaker 21: Yes, walking along footpaths and then suddenly this east scooter comes fly past. It's a shock too, and especially if the path is even or you're just throw enough board and it can be very frightening.
Speaker 3: And half the time part of the issue is the East scooter isn't the same with the bikes are very quiet.
Speaker 6: Yes, that is very true too.
Speaker 21: You don't know that they're coming.
Speaker 6: It's a shop.
Speaker 3: I was walking home with a supermarket shopping Sunday afternoon, Jenny, and it happened to me. I wasn't injured, certainly it was an injured but some young girls on the back of a bike came up behind me and they actually apologized. They were lovely, but they did. They apologized for almost touching me.
Speaker 21: Oh, I know, so you know what the feeling, you know.
Speaker 3: What, it's very common. Thanks Jenny one three one eight seventy three, if you'd like to share your experience. Look, I think, and I said this a little larier in the week. I reckon Chris Mins has done the right thing by putting excise on the agenda today when we're talking about black market tobacco. Blind Freddie can see the reason we have this illegal tobacco problem is because the ridiculous price of legal cigarettes. Well, the treasure of Jim Charmers has now responded this afternoon to Chris Mins and the call from our premier to cut the exercise.
Speaker 22: I respectfully disagree with Chris. He's a friend of mine. I work closely with Premier Mins. I don't think the answer here is to make cigarettes cheaper for people. I think the answer here is to get better at compliance. And the FEDS have come to the table I have, and Mark Butler has, and the relevant ministers like Tony Burke and others have come to the table with hundreds of millions of dollars in new funding to try and combat the scourge of illegal tobacco.
Speaker 3: Jim Charmers so ruling out there'll be no cut to exercise. It's a federal CAC it's not going to happen, and he says we need to get better on compliance. Well, doctor Chalmers, I'll give you the tip. You got a long way to go, because today I had a conversation with one of those people who's tasked with the job of compliance. I had a conversation off air, and I won't identify the man and we won't put him on air because he's concerned for his job if he goes public. But it was an enlightening conversation I had with him, and it's pretty clear he's doing his best with the very limited number of colleagues that he has to conduct these inspections. He works for New South Wales Health and he told me and I mentioned this yesterday that there are concerns that because criminal gangs obviously supply these tobacconists, that there would be some inspectors who would not want to go into some of the shops because you don't know whether the person behind the counter may be armed. Well, he told me, now, I'm not worried about that. In fact, he was involved in an operation just last week and he was assisted by the police, which is good. But it's clear, pretty clear from talking to him that it's simply a matter of numbers. They do not have an of these inspectors. He's completed. He's personally been involved in thirty seven raids resulting in seven hundred thousand dollars worth of a legal product being seized. But that's a drop in the ocean, now, he told me. The way it works is each local health area district and Sydney and New South Wales is divided into various districts. Each district has a budget for inspectors and compliance and not just of illegal cigarettes, but also for instance, selling to underage kids, the legal products and other compliance issues. And he says that some of those local health districts they don't spend their whole budget on the inspectors. They decide, oh no, that's all the too hard basket. So in the area that he works, yes, they spend the money on some inspectors and that's why he's doing the job. But in some other areas they don't do it. No wonder there are more of these tobacconists opening up now. He told me that, yes, sick, he can appreciate that the Premier is suggesting that police be involved in this, and I think it does become a police issue, and as Jim Charmer's saying, it all comes to und to enforcement. But he quite simply said to me, where are the police going to come from to enforce these laws and regulations. At the moment, the New South Wales Police Force is two and a half thousand officers below the authorized strength, and that's why we don't have enough highway patrol officers on the road. So even if mister Min's in the budget puts some more funding and allocation, where are the actual cops going to come from to start raiding tobacconists. There aren't enough police officers. He told me stories about, for instance, family owned fruit and veg shops that he knows, and he's gone into those fruit and veed shops and he's issued them with fines. But they treat it like an operating expense. Even Chris Mins he admitted that it's an operating expense with Ben Fordham on his program yesterday. So if we don't have enough cops to enforce it, we clearly don't have enough New South Wales Health inspectors. Clearly not and then Jim Chalmers says, no, We're not going to cut the excise. It's all about enforcement. What do we do just put our hands up and say, well, you know what, We'll just let the criminals take over. Data has been released today about our charities and you might find this hard to believe. There are sixty three thousand registered charities across Australia. In the last year they've earnt two hundred and twenty two billion dollars in revenue. As in we have donated two hundred and twenty two billion dollars in revenue, a rise of ten point seven percent. Let's check our news headlines an Ease.
Speaker 2: Update, upgrade and save with Winston with a wine in twenty five percent of motorized blinds, curtains and Awnings book now at Winston dot com dot au sure.
Speaker 3: And with the latest Josh Bryance Good afternoon again.
Speaker 11: Clinton Independent Nicolette Buller's greeted supporters to celebrate after the AEC declared she's won the seat of Bradfield in a recount. She finished ahead of Liberal rival Jaselle Capterarian by just twenty six votes. Firefighters are issuing a fresh reminder about safely heating your homes in the colder weather after a home in Maryland's was significantly damaged by a fire sparked by a heater. Some adalers say the Australian economy is paralyzed, as the latest GDP data shows growth remains very weak, and Cockatoo's in Western Sydney are showing off their smarts, this time turning on taps to get a drink. A university study captured footage of them turning on a bubbler and using their beaks and body weight. In sport, the Waratars have re signed tough sener Joey Walton until the end of the twenty twenty six Super Rugby Pacific season. He played twelve of a possible thirteen games as the task crashed out of finals contention, we'll have more news and sported five.
Speaker 3: Thank you, Josh. Twelve degrees on the coast of the moment. It's fourteen degrees in Penrith. Lucy Zelich coming up and just to tick Jaston on the text line says regarding the win for Nicolette Bullet in the seat of Bradfield, Well, Jason says, it's not even close. Gazelle Capteririan got thirteen thousand more votes than Buller or a thirty electorate. So we have a member who has little than one in four people who voted for it. Well's that's the system we have. We have referential voting, first past the post. Yes, Jeselle Captiian certainly on a legal tobacco Richard's in Melabala.
Speaker 23: Richard Clinton, I'm glad you keep on pushing this because Chris means wass late in the case. But right, I'm coming to this. But I'll call the Treasurer out on your news report. I'm a former federal law enforcement office in this area, and I call the treasure of Australia a liar. He's lying to the Australian people because it's a federal responsibility. These goods are prohibited imports under the Customs Prohibited Import regulations.
Speaker 3: It'll be manufactured here, that's for sure.
Speaker 23: That's right. So the penalties are the last time I look look it up. You don't have to believe me. I've been retired for a number of for a fair while now, but I'm in contact with people on the job and around the place. And the bottom line is the penalties for the courts, if they choose to exercise their powers, which have been there for about thirty forty years or beyond. Is for a Tier one offense was tobacco and vas and others is five years imprisonment four hundred and fifty thousand dollars five both. And they have the otter power of the Criminal Codec Nineteen ninety five to seize the shops, the cars, in everything and mold.
Speaker 3: And we haven't seen that happen at all, have we? Richard who's been sent to jail for five years with illegal tobacco importation, No one, thanks, mate. ATTO's in lane Calao.
Speaker 4: Hi, Clenton, how are you.
Speaker 24: I'm good, Okay, I'm very I agree with Richard, and I do think that it should be a federal police tasked to do any of.
Speaker 3: The raid for this, Well, the federal police would be involved in raids, for instance, if it was at a port where the tobacco is coming in. But it's getting beyond that. We know there's plenty of drugs that come in through our ports. It is a state responsibility for shops in the high street of a suburb.
Speaker 25: Yeah, but we don't have any We don't have enough state police, correct, And the expanse is actually well, all detects are going to the federal police. So for the federal how can we so not the federal police going to into it?
Speaker 13: Yeah.
Speaker 3: Look, this I think goes back to the whole problem. We got too many levels of government in the first place. We would actually much better off if we just had one government running the whole shebang. But that horse, unfortunately, has bolted on Sydney.
Speaker 2: Now you can't handle the truth.
Speaker 26: The street shot.
Speaker 3: Lucy Zellich's out straight shitter for a Wednesday afternoon. She's she's been walking the streets of Bradfield over the past couple of hours.
Speaker 27: Every week. I'm somewhere, according to you, everywhere but here.
Speaker 3: Just before we get into the big issues that we're going to discuss, what do you make of what's transpired this afternoon with the confirmation that Gizelle capt Hereing has lost for the Liberals and it's been won by Nicolai BuOrd the Teal.
Speaker 27: It was a very tight race, and I want to pick up on the points that you made earlier in the program, which just speaks to how much skepticis is and how much more scrupulous we need to be when it comes to the polls, right and all of.
Speaker 3: These didn't they get it right?
Speaker 26: Now?
Speaker 13: Well?
Speaker 27: And I was I think, you know, going back to the lead up to the actual election, I kept kind of reinforcing that message because we've seen it time and time again when the polls are suggesting that it's leaning towards this way, and we were all anticipating that it was going to be a minority government and that you know, Labor would have to strike deals with the Teals as well as the Greens in order to get things through in Parliament. And look at it, they're sitting on ninety three seats and it was an overwhelming and historic victory. So for me, I think the bigger question was around and I asked you this earlier off air, do you think that the Liberals will be in a position and the cap Tian crew will be in a position where they would like to actually challenge this look.
Speaker 3: Having been on f the bast hour and a half since this news broke, I haven't been able to speak with my contacts within the Liberal Party.
Speaker 27: So I don's your feeling, what do you think?
Speaker 3: My gut feelers they won't.
Speaker 27: But being such a time margin, I mean we're talking about twenty six vers.
Speaker 3: I've just got a feeling they might just now want to put a line in the since get on with the next parliament. Mind you, they have very high hosts for Gazelle cap tier in.
Speaker 13: You know.
Speaker 3: I've been told this by numerous people that the Labor Party at a New South Wales level really wanted her to win because they don't want her in state politics. Well, she's fantastic, so they don't want to switching her attention to a state seat in the next state election. So I don't know, because.
Speaker 27: She is a moderate too, though Clinton she is a moderate.
Speaker 3: So would have it worked in Bradfield. I had a couple of our listeners make this point on the text line that if they had a right wing candidate they would have been successful.
Speaker 27: There you go, So this.
Speaker 3: What do you think do you think of right wing candidate in Bradford would have been successful?
Speaker 27: Well, here's the thing, right, I don't live in that electorate, so I think it'd be more difficult for me to make a call on that. But what I will say is this, and it's been the point that I've been making this entire time, particularly in the fallout of the election. Right the Liberal Party and well the LNP they stood for nothing and they became nothing. So they were this kind of whitewashed, very much sort of you know, reticent side that didn't want to get involved in so called right wing politics, which I just seem to think are more common sensical policies because they were so scared of it being likened to being too trumpy and etc. What I say to people is tell me what you feel were the real right wing radical policies that they pushed forward. This whole argument about oh they were too right wing or my concern is that they actually weren't conservative enough. And when you can very very rarely find too many differences between the parties, I think now you're having a problem where you think, well, who and what are we voting for now. They've got a serious identity crisis the Liberal Party.
Speaker 3: I wish sure all the constituents of Bradfield and the other till seats all the best, but you wonder how effective they're going to be in the next term in Parliment, because reality is Albo does not need them now, No he doesn't. He actually in the previous parliament probably needed to be nice to a few of them because he knew well he thought that this was the indication that it was going to be tied after the next election, that he might need their support. Doesn't have to worry about.
Speaker 27: That ninety three seats now, mister Maynard.
Speaker 3: Wow, now I heard you went along to the monster trucks on the weekend.
Speaker 27: Did It was an amazing experience. A big shout out to our very own poppy here at two GB whom I badgered very politely to see if we could organize for myself and my family to go, because my kids and especially my son, you know, like all boys, just loves anything to do with trucks and dirt and they were just aghast with excitement when I told them that we were going. But we got there and you know, we're all sitting there. Everyone's waiting very patiently for the show to get started and for everything to get going. They've got the people coming out and rousing the crowd and everyone excited and interested. And then all of a sudden, the lights went down and there was this voiceover that came over the announcement PA, and they said, I'd like you to all please be upstanding. And I went, what what's going on here? And then he said, for the Australian anthem, I'm standing, hey, let me tell you something. To let me tell you something.
Speaker 3: I stood. I just about it.
Speaker 27: I just about fell out of my chair when they said that, and I put my hand on my chest. My singing is horrendous, by the way, my husband will attest to that. But I stood loudly and proudly and I belted out this Australian anthem. And my daughter looked at me and she said, Mum, what's this. To her credit, she's only six, she's only just started school this year. But I thought, but I have a word to her school about what's this nonsense. But the thing that it was really touching to me was that we still had a sense of Australian pride in our country, we still had an element of patriotism and this group of really hard working, fantastic Australians who just love putting on this show for young kids and their families were really interested and invested in being able to showcase their sense of patriotic pride. And the question that I had when I left right and I remember, I called, you know a couple of friends. I said, you're not gonna believe this. They played the anthem at the Monster Truck Show and they were like, that is awesome. But the conversation then led to this question, which was when was the last time that you actually sung the anthem? Can you remember Clinton? Can our listeners, our wonderful listeners, when was the last time you sung the anthem?
Speaker 3: Having kids, you go to a few school events at times, and schools do depending on your school. Our schools have still sung the national anthem before various occasions, so I have done it there. Back in the eighties, I think when i'd go along to a football game, as in just a crowll of Shark's NRL match, I think they did the anthem at standard. Wasn't the NRL back then, it was the New South Wales rugby leige. I'm pretty sure you did the anthem at the start a game. Wow, maybe not every club game, but they certainly do it now with State of Origin.
Speaker 27: Of course, Grand Finals and the ANZAC Test.
Speaker 3: I remember there was. It was a bit of a controversy at the time when they started winding it back, but the point was made, we don't want to overuse.
Speaker 27: It and look and I completely understand that, right And when you canvass this with people, they sort of think, well, where do you feel it would be most appropriate?
Speaker 20: Then?
Speaker 27: I mean, you're not going to expect your to stand up every day in school and recite the Australian anthem. But it raised that question of are we are we patriotic enough in this country?
Speaker 3: One three one seven three? When was the last time you sung the Australian national anthem? Two GB dot com Lazyboy, Long Live the Lazy So go to a website. It's on the website on the wind page. Your chance to win a Lazyboy recliner. Lucy's Eelich is with me zero force zero eight seven three out seven three For your text messages, Mary says, I last sang the national anthem at our school Reconciliation Assembly earlier in the week. That one's from Mary. Some calls on this one. Kim's in Liverpool.
Speaker 5: Hello Kim, Hi Clinton.
Speaker 14: He Lucy, Hi Kim. I'm I'm big Fanny, yours, Lucy. I'm right on board with all your ideas and yours, sir Clinton. But it was Amzac Day for me, and that would have.
Speaker 27: Been a thank you, by the way, Kim for your nice words. But was it a really special moment for you? It being Anzac Day in.
Speaker 14: Particular, always very proud. Wesed just sing it every day at school, you know, not just assemblies.
Speaker 20: Wow, my day.
Speaker 14: It was every day, so we all knew the words. And you know, these days, especially with the other verse, people get love.
Speaker 3: They do, okay, Lucy, do you know the second verse?
Speaker 27: Or very scratchy? And I'm ashamed of that, I'll be honest. I'm ashamed of the fact that I don't know the second verse as well as what I should. But it wasn't something that was very.
Speaker 3: That was pushed on us. No, No, actually at school, Hello Ben, Hey, good Ben.
Speaker 4: Yeah.
Speaker 13: At the show every night in the main radio, they sing the first two verses at the anthem.
Speaker 27: That's amazing. You know, it's funny you mentioned a rodeo there, and this was by comparison in the United States for me when I was watching this very cheap and nasty I'm sorry, I'm ashamed to admit it, but cheap and nasty reality show a few weeks ago, and they literally played the anthem. There were only probably about not even one hundred people there before this kind of bullfighting spectacle that was going on at this spit down that none of us really would even know if we were to hear it, but that that's sort of the element of patriotism that goes on for a lot of them.
Speaker 3: America in the United States, that their anthem is sacred.
Speaker 10: It is.
Speaker 3: It's ball fighting is as well, but the anthem is.
Speaker 27: But isn't there something beautiful about that?
Speaker 10: Hinton?
Speaker 3: Absolutely, there is something very.
Speaker 27: Special about it. And you consider also the fact that I think it's roughly it's either forty six or forty seven. I could be stand corrected on that out of the fifty states of the kids every day they get up and they pledge allegiance.
Speaker 3: Greg and Cornla Hulle.
Speaker 28: Greg, Yeah, good afternoon. I'd just like to make a comment The.
Speaker 9: Last time that I.
Speaker 28: Sung the national anthem was that the ANXAC test between the Dragons and the Roosters.
Speaker 27: I've been to one of those tests. It's pretty special, isn't it.
Speaker 17: Yeah.
Speaker 28: Look, it makes the hairs on the back of your next stand up, and I sang it with a lot of patriotism towards my country. But the thing that I did make a note on was when the cameras stand over the sides that were competing in the game, I reckon less than fifty percent of the players were actually seeing the national anthem. The majority of them more, we're just not even singing. That's sort of a bit of an indictment on the day.
Speaker 3: Yeah, it is a little bit. But there's a lot of emotion as well though at those anzac Ga avents, which I think is great. Huge Frank on the text line, Yes, singing from my hymnshitt here, Frank. Excellent job by Formula One's Oscar Piastre because he is rejuvenating the Australian national anthem overseas, because he's on the podium everything every week and he's won more Grand Prix. He's won five Grand Prix this year. It means the Australian national anthem.
Speaker 27: It's getting it's run, it's being played. Net zero, net zero, let's talk about it. And this one was a really interesting one for me because I mean, I've been very vocal and staunching my support for Australia dumping net zero. I think this entire pursuit is driving us into economic ruin. And much of that was actually found in a report that emerged this week. New analysis has revealed that federal climate spending has risen to nine billion dollars per year, and that's from the Institute of Public Affairs, and it's shown that spending on climate related programs has increased fifteen fold over the past decade. So where we were spending about six hundred million dollars annually, it's now gone to nine billion. And this all has occurred in the last decade, so since twenty fifteen. I mean, it is remarkable to me the amount of money that is being thrown at this and when you consider that all we have heard from the Albanesi government and Bowen in particular is that this is going down the renewables path, especially is the cheapest form of energy, and that we are going to now see an increase in our electricity bills from July one. It flies in the face of all Australians and the fact that this is and it tells us all the fact this is.
Speaker 3: All just nonsense. We have voted for it. I have a five hundred dollars Winston with a why I vouched to give away in the last hour of the program one three one eight seventy three. Lucy Zelich's We've me lots of text messages here about the national anthem and it seems that motorsport is leading the way so supercar races. Apparently the anthem has played before every supercar race. Matt says, my kids primary school. We sing it at the Friday assembly and we yes, we sing the second verse.
Speaker 26: Hello, Karen Hi, here's standing up on the arms. Moment was last year's A League Grand Final in Gospeid. It was about twenty thousand people all singing it and yeah, it sounded fantastic. I think everyone in the stadium was singing it.
Speaker 27: Oh that's beautiful caron and it just produces real chills down your spine moments too. And I've been up at Gosford there the Central Coast stadium. It's a beautiful part of the world. God's country, many will argue. But especially fantastic result for the Central Coast too, that comeback victory of a Melbourne city in that Grand Final. Great game. But it's something, it's something that when you are in a crowd of people, it's something as parochial as sport as well. It just elictits so much pride in you and that's what I love about it.
Speaker 26: Yes, yep, definitely.
Speaker 3: Good on you, Karen. John's in Roseville.
Speaker 17: Hello John, Good at Clinton Gay Lucy, Hello John.
Speaker 9: I belt it out every Monday morning.
Speaker 17: Every Monday, every.
Speaker 8: Monday morning the local school. I'm next to the local primary school. They built it out every Monday morning at ten past nine, and I'm in my house. I can hear it, and I built it out too.
Speaker 27: Good on you, John. What a patriot and what a great servant to the country you are.
Speaker 3: I love that thanks to calling John. Chris On. The text line says in the United States, they sing the national anthem pride every baseball game. The crowd stands, they face the flag with their hand on their hearts, and they sing. And we do the same here at our baseball games.
Speaker 27: Can I reference. Also, why there's a reason and there's a method to my madness for bringing all of this up is because we talk a lot about in the context of our younger generation, right, and how is there is this waning sense of patriotism. How we're raising them now on this diet of we need to be ashamed of Australia because of our history. We're also seeing really tragic numbers when it comes to ADYF recruitment. I mean, I think it's since twenty twelve the Australian Defense Force has consistently failed to meet yearly recruiting targets, and the army particularly struggling. There is a reason for that. So when it comes to these conversations, a lot of it for me is because we need to start instilling a sense of pride amongst our youth, because this is a beautiful country that we live in.
Speaker 3: Hey, just quickly, we're all start to wrap up. Have you had drama stepping in dog poop or dog pulp.
Speaker 27: Not dog pup, but people letting their dogs off leads. We're at a beach. Yeah, We're at a beach a couple of summers ago, and I won't name the beach. It's in the Eastern suburbs because it's a locals beautiful, little well kept secret. A dog off the leads popped our beach ball and snatched my daughter's sandwich literally out of her hands.
Speaker 3: Increase the fines for dog that eat sandwiches. Lucy's elch back with me next Wednesday afternoon. Thank you, Lucy, coming out coming up after the years. We'll have a look at these GDP figures. What do they actually mean? The Shadow Treasurer of the new Shadow treasure Ted O'Brien joining us.
Speaker 2: This is Sitney now with Clinton on t GB.
Speaker 3: One three seven three is our number. For the first time seventy five years, the Sydney seat of Bradfield has been won by an independent. The AEC today completing their recount in the seat and they have declared the Teal Independent Nicolett Buller is the winner. Nicolett Buller has been very happy this afternoon, obviously, she's been with the dozens and dozens of supporters outside her office and she did set up an electorate office of sorts after the last election. She didn't win a seat last time around, but she set up like a shadow electorate office. She says she's very proud to be the first female representative for the seat.
Speaker 19: Whichever way was going to go, Miscapterian or me, we have our first female representative in Bradfield as well.
Speaker 3: She has won the seat in the recount by twenty six votes and she says I want to acknowledge Gizelle captier In for the civility she has shown as a candidate during this close contest. She says, I do not take this responsibility lightly as Bradfield's first independent member of Parliament. I'm dedicated to serving this community with integrity, courage and care. Now, zel Capteriian has also released a statement today and she's thanked the AEC. She has thanked the Liberal Party and the volunteers, but she says this recount has created a different result. While I was ahead at the conclusion of the original count, Miss Buller is now ahead after this recount. I will now carefully review the two counts. There is the prospect that this decision could be taken to the Court of Disputed Returns.
Speaker 2: Be a part of Sydney now with Clinton Maynard called one three one eight seven three.
Speaker 3: The National accounts have been released today. Now what the National accounts are. This is a measure you might say, of our economic health, the state of the economy. It's that the first real check in of how we're going since the election. Now it takes in a whole quarter and it shows that the economy grew just marginally in the last quarter by point two of a percent year on year GDP. GDP is the measure of economic activity increased by one point three percent. But here's the twist. When you take out population growth and a lot of that is immigration, we've actually gone backwards, so we are in a per capita recession. Ted O'Brien is the newly appointed Shadow Treasurer and joins me, thank you for your time, Ted, so pleasure grow to be with you.
Speaker 10: Clinton.
Speaker 3: What's your interpretation of these figures today, Well.
Speaker 7: I look truly disappointing news, to be honest with you, because it just says that the economy is hardly growing, business is hardly investing, and most Australian households are feeling pretty anxious. They're probably the key takeaways for me. As you just laid out the growth through to the end of the March quarter was only zero point two percent. That's really small on an annual basis is about one point three percent. So if you're wondering is that good or bad, well that is less than half the long run average of economic growth. So it's really sluggish at the moment. And before the election the Treasurer was telling the Australian people we've turned corner. We've turned a corner. But as we find out now there no corner has been turned. In fact, it's nothing pretty grim.
Speaker 3: The treasure has made the point though that the increase doesn't come from government spending. The government spending has actually gone down. It does come from private investment. So it is a good thing that government spending, based on what the treasure has said, has gone down.
Speaker 9: Well.
Speaker 7: I mean the mix between government spending and business spending is one thing. But if you look at business spending itself, unfortunately you do see expense items for businesses like office equipment, vehicles, electrical items, all of those are basically going down. It's down by around about one point seven percent. And so we have a big problem when it comes to investment, and that includes international investment coming into Australia. I mean, we effectively met importers of capital of money and right now our domestic companies and internet national companies are looking at the Australian economy and they say no thanks, and they're going elsewhere. And that came through the figures today.
Speaker 3: Now, I was going to ask you what policies would you implement to change the situation, But with respect ted, you're not going to be in power for at least three years, maybe longer. What is your recommendation to the government to do about this?
Speaker 7: I suppose my recommendation first and foremost is for the government to start looking at leavers to grow the economy, because what's happened today Clinton is the only thing the Labor government is focused on is dividing the pie. They look at the economy and they try to cut it up and distribute things that is not growing the economy. Even today, you had the Treasurer out there and he's basically saying, in his words, any growth is a good outcome.
Speaker 29: I mean, seriously, we need to have.
Speaker 7: More ambition in the Australian economy. And if we don't even have our own treasurer out there driving to grow the economic pie, big trouble, which means they need to be look at industrial relations, They need to be looking at regulation. They need to be looking at energy, they need to be looking at taxation. These believers that will basically attract investment, and especially when you have investment in big capital projects in technology, that makes the whole economy more productive. Once you get a productive economy, it means people's salaries they take home start increasing in real terms and they can be sustainable. It allows people to put bread on the table, make investments, go on the holidays.
Speaker 29: That's not happening.
Speaker 7: Why, because all those leaders I talked about the government has wrong. It is turning investment away and actually under labor productivity has gone back five point seven percent.
Speaker 29: So, in other words, to get the.
Speaker 7: Same outcome, the same output in the economic goods and services, we're having to put a lot more in than we're used to. I mean, that's going the opposite direction than where it should be, which is why Australians are feeling poorer, because in fact, the Australian economy is getting poorer.
Speaker 3: On the other big issue that the Treasure is now dealing with, these are the proposed changes to superinnuation, doubling the tax from fifteen percent to thirty percent on balances of more than three million dollars. You have said that the Coalition is actually willing to negotiate this issue, to actually sit down with labor and talk about it. This was the Treasurer's response to what you've been saying, Ted.
Speaker 22: I'm not convinced that the Coalition wants to have a conversation about these changes. I think we all saw what Matt Canavan, for example, said today about these changes. You know, I'm not convinced that they are FAED income when it comes to bipartisanship. I don't think. I don't think they're being real about that.
Speaker 3: So doctor Chalmers says that you're not FAED.
Speaker 7: Income, Well, look Clinton, what he's putting forward, to be honest, is an absolute dog of a policy. And what I had said is if they are prepared to walk back a lot of what they're talking about, of course we're happy.
Speaker 29: To have a conversation with them.
Speaker 7: But if you look at what they're trying to do with this new superinnuation tax, one they are increasing the tax rate. Two they're introducing unrealized capital gains tax, so, in other words, a paper profit. So you make an investment through let's say your superfund, the profit on paper you start paying tax on even though the money's on in your bank account yet, I mean that breaches a red line in tax law. And then there's no indexation of this thing. So basically you're going to have millions of Australians caught up in this tax. And then the Prime Minister, by the.
Speaker 29: Way, he doesn't have to pay this tax. He gets special treatment. So all of these things, these go completely.
Speaker 7: Against their coalition's principled approach, which is we believe in lower, simpler and fairer tax. Later's super tax, none of those things.
Speaker 3: I'm with the Shadow Treasurer of Ted O'Brien, Mister O'Brien, as a senior member of the Liberal Party. Your response today from the AEC. The AAC has declared that Nicolett Bullet has been successful in the last remaining seat to be decided, Bradfield follow the federal election. Gizl Capterian has lost. Now miscap Tirian did take part in the party room ballot for the leadership. What does that mean for for Susan Lee and even yourself.
Speaker 7: Oh, look, that's a standard process, to be honest with you, Clinton, and so what happens when.
Speaker 3: It not process? He's not a member of Parliament.
Speaker 7: No, no, but it is a standard process. It happens every time. So the way it works is the Federal Director looks across the various seats and makes a judgment as to who should be in the room. So look, I don't think there's any there'll be a inn a question mark around.
Speaker 13: That at all.
Speaker 7: Most importantly, I feel desperately sorry for Gizelle, but of course it'll be reviewed and also the people of Bradfield, because my Lord was she hell of a candidate, would have been one terrific member. But you know, to be difference of eight votes in the first count and then around their twenty seven votes, I think in the seconds that's awfully close. And I've been there myself, mate. You know, I went through a two count process against Clive Palmer in twenty thirteen seven votes I think it was in the first count, and he beat me on fifty three votes the second. So look, this is close. It'll be reviewed and ultimately be matter for the New South Wales division of the lit.
Speaker 3: So it'll be reviewed. Do you think it should go to the Court of Disputed Returns?
Speaker 7: Well again, Clinton, that'll be really up to the New South Wales division of the Little Party, so I'll leave it for them.
Speaker 3: Okay, thank you for your time and for yours.
Speaker 7: Thanks Clinton show a.
Speaker 3: Treasurer Ted O'Brien, so the Gaseelle cap Tier in her statements says they're reviewing both the counts, so they may well take that legal action.
Speaker 2: Next be your part of Sydney now with Clinton Maynard called one three one eight seven three.
Speaker 3: This new is just a hand. The British pop star Jesse jay has Can affirmed that she is battling breast cancer. Now, if you're not aware of Jesse, she's been very very popular in recent years and put this hit song out the.
Speaker 27: World.
Speaker 3: So that's Jesse and Jesse. That's the name of the song price tag. She's only thirty seven and she says, look she's in good spirits despite being diagnosed with breast cancer.
Speaker 27: I was diagnosed with early breast cancer. I'm highlighting the word early.
Speaker 15: Cancer sucks in any form, but.
Speaker 27: I'm holding on to the word early. I have been in and out of tests throughout this whole period. I just wanted to be open and share it.
Speaker 3: Jessej So's she has youth on a side, and all our thoughts are of course with us. She has a very large fan base in this country. It's eighteen past five. An update on the incident we brought you at the start of the show, the man whose arm became trapped in a meat grinder at a processing facility in Padstow a little earlier this afternoon out Fournctionunally, the man's had quite a remarkable escape. The paramedics and the fire and rescue teams that are on the scene there. They've managed to free his arm from the meat grinder. But I know this is a little sensitive before his hand actually reached the blade, so he's actually going to be okay. It was a bit touch and go there for a moment, but he maintained consciousness throughout and once the experts and they actually bring some people who actually knew what they were doing with his machinery. Once he was freed from that meat grinder, he was taken by ambulists and George Hospital and thankfully he's doing okay. Mark Geyer sick today. So Jamie Sowerd present sport with us later to this sour Cricket Australia has set a new record for the number of individual tickets sold on one day. So in the pres for the international series coming up this year of course of the Nashes year in men's cricket, Cricket Australia says they've sold three hundred and eleven thousand and sixty six tickets. Goodness me, so across two days, three hundred and twenty two thousand tickets have been sold. But in just one day individual sales, three hundred and eleven thousand and sixty six tickets have been sold.
Speaker 26: I got the.
Speaker 9: Well.
Speaker 3: Katie Perry is playing the first of her series of concerts tonight at Tudos Bank Arena at Sydney Olympic Park and she is massively popular in Sydney. Katy Perry. And how about this. You might have seen this a little earlier. She's been spotted this week at the Lidcomb shopping center and there she was in the escalators with her daughter and she was just looking like an everyday person. She had some tracksuit pants on. Have very nice tracksuit pants, mind you, but she was wearing TRACKI dacks and had a cap and I think there were a couple of security people of mind is behind her. But she was just there on the escalators at the Lidcomb shopping Center, and I think how refreshing is that. Then usually Hollywood stars, music superstars, they'd be staying in a five star hotel in the city and they'd have a aescort to the high end shops around Pitt Street or Elizabeth Street. But no, Katie said, no, no, I'm a woman of the people. Take me to Lidcom shopping Center. I was wondering where she might be staying, so I just had to look at the accommodation available around Lidhom shopping center. Lydkim itself does not a lot, but just nearby Sydney Olympic Park, so close to where she's staying. You can get a room at the IBIS for one hundred and twenty nine dollars. So she might be staying at the IBIS with a daughter, the quest at Olympic Park two hundred and fifty nine dollars. She might want to go to the whole Hole you can. You can hire a red out of house, probably AIRBMB for one night around Lidcombe. Probably a three bedroom house will set you back four hundred and fifty three dollars. There was a spotlight at the Lidkham Shopping Center, So she probably dropped into Spotlight, goes back to the Ibis at Sydneylympic Park for one hundred and twenty nine bucks and stays there. She'll be playing at Cuos Bank Arena tonight. Katy Perry he reckon, she really is down to earth. A man's been charged by police after he allegedly threatened staff at a sports bar in Kingsford early this morning. Police are now telling us they were called to a bar in Anzac Parade following reports a man was with a gun. When police arrived, they were told there was a man outside the bar and allegedly he pointed the firearm at staff inside because they wouldn't let him into the bar anyway. Police have been investigating throughout the day. They have arrested the thirty seven year old man. They have located and seized an imitation semi automatic block pistol in a bin short distance away from the man and the bar. But look, if you're behind the bar in Kingsford and someone points what looks like a glock to you, you're not to know that it's imitation. So thirty seven year olds now facing a range of charges. He has been refused bail to appear in court.
Speaker 2: If it's happening in Sydney, you'll hear it on Sydney Now with Clinton May on to gb.
Speaker 3: Coming up to five point thirty, just talking about the situation in Bradfield where Gizl Capteririan, the Liberal candidate, has missed out and the til nico Let Buller has won by twenty six votes and a miss Buller has made the point that it's wonderful that for the first time there will be a female MP in Bradfield. Well, the Telegraph is reporting that the senior Liberal Alan Stockdale has called for reverse quotas for men. Now he may well have been joking. Alan Stockdale longtime Liberal Party heavyweight, and he's one of three people who's actually been appointed to run the New South Wales Liberal Party. He's a Victorian. But because the New South Wales Liberal Party has been in such a mess, they've brought in Allen to try to sort it out anyway. The Telegraph has been reporting that he addressed a meeting of women this week and quote said we may need some special rules for men to get them pre selected. The Telegraph says it was an online meeting of the New South Wales Liberal Women's Council Tuesday night, and mister Stoctor reportedly said the women in this party are now so assertive we may need special rules for men to get them pre selected. Let's check out his headlines an.
Speaker 2: E's Update, Upgrade and Save with Winston with a Wine in twenty five percent of motorized Blinds, curtains and Dawnings. Book now at Winston dot com as.
Speaker 3: And with ab O latest Josh Bryce, Good afternoon again.
Speaker 11: Clinton. The federal Treasurer says the GUP from federally has no plans to reduce the tax on cigarettes, despite the push from the New South Wales government, which argues the high excise is helping fuel activity on the tobacco black market. The Electorc Commission has confirmed Independent candidate Nicolete Buller has won the recount in the seat of Bradfield. A man has now been taken to hospital after his arm god stuck in a meat processing grinder in Sydney, Southwest, and an artificial intelligence scientist says AI tools of forcing people to distrust what they read and watch. As there's new backlash towards an app which can create images or short videos of two people kissing due to concerns it could be used for blackmail in sports. Seagles coach Anthony Seabowl is confident the club will insure Tom and Jake Travoivitch finished their careers as one club men. Seabolt says part of the plan is to use both in coaching roles post football, we'll have more news and sport at.
Speaker 3: Six, Thank you, Josh. It's eleven point eight degrees in the city at the moment. The feels like temperature is seven point nine. Finance update, she's wearing her winter woolies. Deb Night presenting Money News to Night. Hello Deb, Hello dear.
Speaker 30: Yeah, certainly chilly today, ug boots when I get home.
Speaker 27: Don't you worry about that?
Speaker 3: It always comes on quick, doesn't it.
Speaker 27: Well, that's it. I mean, it's winter.
Speaker 3: It is winter.
Speaker 27: You shouldn't be surprised. Yes, but it's cold.
Speaker 3: It is winter. How do the market's fair today?
Speaker 27: The market's on an absolute tear.
Speaker 30: Some really good jobs figures out of the US oven night, which helped the ASX two hundred. It closed almost at another record all time high. It was up point nine percent. It's seventy five points higher to eighty five hundred and forty two, and it was really buoyed to the share market by another rally by CommBank. It is the first ASX listed company to be valued at more than three hundred billion dollars. So extraordinary growth from the combak that led all the financials, all the banks stronger today, the dollar holding steady at around sixty five US cents.
Speaker 3: The value's going to have something like seventeen percent this year. And I know, look, it depends if you've got the money available. But we we often rightly complain about the banks. Well, one way to get back at them is by some of their shares if you can, and most.
Speaker 30: People have their shares through their superannuation anyway, So you know we want our banks to be strong.
Speaker 27: We absolutely do.
Speaker 30: When most of us do benefit when those shares are as high as they are, whether it's overvalued or not is what we'll look at on the show tonight.
Speaker 3: I spoke with Tedo Brian, the Shadow Treasurer a little earlier. GDP has grown in the last quarter by point two of a percent, now.
Speaker 30: Only just and it was softer than many economists had expected. We'll have Warren Hogan, the respected economist on money news tonight to run through all of the figures, and if you take out that population growth, the economy was going backwards.
Speaker 27: The upside, of course, is that the fact that.
Speaker 30: Isn't growing as strongly as many had expected is that interest rate cuts are a certainty now.
Speaker 27: The Reserve Bank Board meeting next in July.
Speaker 30: So the fact that these GDP figures softer than expected means that there'll be more cuts are coming.
Speaker 3: What's the funny way about economics, isn't it bad news is actually good news?
Speaker 13: Yeah?
Speaker 27: Exactly. Companies cut jobs, their share price goes up.
Speaker 3: At the unemployment rate goes up, we're getting interest rate cuts. A new report from Domain says that making your home energy efficient could increase its value by up to twenty percent.
Speaker 30: Yeah, and this is interesting. Talking about the cool weather now, people will be getting out the heaters, putting on the air con. But if you have ducted air conditioning in your home for heating and cooling, the value of your property will go up by as much as twenty percent and also bring down the value of your power bill. Ducted air conditioning is one of the keys for energy efficiency, as is the double glazing of windows, which we're very bad at here in Australia compared to other countries. And so the panels, which we have lots of, so many Australians have adopted solar panels, and the batteries too is the next thing. So we're going to run through some of the energy efficient technology that's available and some of the things that if you've got the outlay to spend, will bring back benefits because you won't be paying as much in your power bill and the value of your property will go on.
Speaker 3: It's also fortunately we put inducted their conditioning in our top story of our place about two years ago. And look it cost us of EVA the money to be honest, and I was a bit worried about, oh, you know, how much is it going to affect the bills. Surprisingly, it hasn't pushed up the bills as much as I feed it with.
Speaker 30: Well a lot of the new tech you can you can turn it off in the rooms that you're not using, a bit like the snakes that you put under the doors to stop the drafts coming through.
Speaker 3: It's much more energy effishing. I'm glad you raised the snakes because so we got the latest. I think it was either big Waudy catalog this week. I'm flipping through it and there I had a laugh. You can get this door snake in the shape of all. It's got a cow's head on it. It's quite cute. And I pointed out to cast at this and she said, I'm getting one. Is it all really? Because she said, the draft that comes in the front door, we've never done anything about it. Just get the cow snake and you fix.
Speaker 30: They're tried and true for a reason. Actually, it's such common sense. Yeah, the door snakes, you know, little drafts that come through, they absolutely work. And it's those small measures that can make a really big difference.
Speaker 3: Hey, just quickly. We had the debate earlier in the program about off leash dogs and increasing penalties, but also what you do if you take your pup for a walk and you've got to pick up the poop.
Speaker 30: I don't get the obsession that people have. And look, I'm gonna probably get slammed here. They don't like it when you put the anything dog poo bags in their bins. It's a bin, it's gonna you know, it's a rubbish bin. People are very possessive about their bins and they don't like people putting their dog poo bags in their bins, but I'm like, it's a bin.
Speaker 3: I pick up the poo from Terry the toy poodle, and he always goes when we go for the walk, and I carry the pool all the way home in the bag because I don't want to upset anyone by putting the poo in there.
Speaker 30: But what are they getting upset about.
Speaker 27: It's just a bin.
Speaker 3: It's going to be empty people around inger then againnery, but it's.
Speaker 27: Not just taken. It is across the board.
Speaker 30: I know that people are very possessive about their bins that don't like it, and I'm gonna walk away and let that Handgredee go for you.
Speaker 27: But I just think it's a bin.
Speaker 30: Does it matter who puts stuff in it?
Speaker 3: Deav Night with Money News from seven o'clock tonight on Sydney.
Speaker 2: Now a weather update will be here to help in unexpected weather. Nrima Insurance a help company.
Speaker 3: Yes, it is chilly. It is eleven degrees in the CBD, but I should rightly point out that it is winter now twelve degrees in the western suburbs. There's a chance, perhaps of a few more showers this evening, that some mittn drizzle for most of the afternoon tomorrow, though a mostly sunny day, perhaps the chance of a shower on the coast, but it will be a sunny day tomorrow on the coast atop of seventeen degrees. Partly cloudy on Friday and at this stage cloudy on Saturday, mostly sunny on Sunday.
Speaker 2: You're listening to Sydney Now with Clinton Maynard onto GB cool now one three one eight seven three.
Speaker 3: MG has been hit by the man flu, so MG not with us tonight, so he please to welcome to the City Now program for the first time. My old mate Jamie Soward from the continuous call to him, Hello, Swie.
Speaker 17: Good evening. Mister big Time is that what you text me to call you? Is that Primetime or big Time?
Speaker 3: Come on? We go way back in radio.
Speaker 17: We used to come show me this morning and said can you come on the show? When you come on, just remind everyone that I'm the number one radio show in this time slot in Sydney.
Speaker 3: We're working towards that anyway. Sowie Blake Solly was on with my colleague Mark Levy this morning on his program in the Mornings and Blake Soli's the South's and he was talking about the desire for the rabbit O's to move to Allion Stadium, the old Sydney Football stadium. They currently played Olympic Park at Corps Stadium. Do you think the rabbit Os should be playing at Alliance?
Speaker 17: Look, I think firstly, our game is built on tribalism and going to your man. You're a Sharks fan, going to Shark Park is something special. I think that South's playing out of Alliance, where they have played so many times before, I think that would be a good move because not that I'm a South fan, not that I don't like the Roosters or anything like that. I just think the drama in and around when they play. Plus, it's a brand new stadium. We want to be using that as much as possible. Keep a core stadium, you know, for the special occasions, the semi finals, you know, like rather than have a debate about who's going to get a home semi final all that kind of stuff. If it was so special to go to a core, I don't think fans would mind. But because they're there every second week, I reckon there's a chance that they sort of get sick of going out there, So I'd love to see the rivalry continue at Alians and have both teams playing out of there.
Speaker 3: And I know they've got supporters all over the city, all over the country, but their name is South Sydney and based in Redfern. They obviously have their high performance center in the east and suburb that the southern Southeast suburb, so I think they should be playing there. You you won a premiership twenty ten, you won a premiership that would is now a Core stadium might have been known as A and Z, so you know, no doubt that stadium holds a special place in your heart. But I reckon just for the big games.
Speaker 17: Yeah, I totally agree. I think you know, every time you go back there and you see it with ten fifteen thousand, it probably doesn't have the same sort of effect as when you used to go to the SFS as a kid and you watched on TV and you thought this is where my heroes played. So yeah, I totally agree. I think you could use a Core a lot more for those bigger games and be able to use Aliant a lot more because it is a brandish It's a fantastic facility. If you haven't been there, get out there. Refood's great. Honestly, there's not a bad seat in the house.
Speaker 3: It is absolutely brilliant. Did you where'd you make your first grade taboo?
Speaker 17: At the oldest effect, the three run of about six thousand. Yeah, Newcastle had heaps out. I think it was four too at half time. It won't be on the classic matches, that's for sure. Did you win, Yeah, we won yet I think we won thirty two or thirty four to two or something like that, but four too at halftime. It wasn't great watching. I don't think I was any good that day either.
Speaker 3: Not big crowds, so of course you were not big crowds. But the Bulldogs look like they're going to overtake the Sydney Swans as the biggest drawing sporting club in Cydny. They're playing the Eels on Monday and they're expecting a huge crowd and that will be at a core.
Speaker 29: Yeah.
Speaker 17: Well, there's certain clubs in sports that they have large fan bases and as in neutral now, I don't support anyone. People say, oh, do you support the Dragons, Roosters or Panthers. I don't support anyone. I love watching the game, and when you go to a Bulldog's game, it is an atmosphere that you have to attend, you have to want to be a part of. And the Swans are struggling a little bit at the moment. But to see Easter Show, I think I called the game with a continuous call team and we were at the Easter to Show and you could hear the vibe and the excitement when the Bulldogs were in that stadium. So dreams are free. Hopefully they can get to a Grand Final for them, but they must watch television at the moment. And the crowds have been great and you must command all those fans that have gone out and supported their team because as a player, it's such an advantage and.
Speaker 3: Looks if you're watching on two, if you listen to on the radio with the crowd noise in the background, it just makes for a better game as well.
Speaker 17: Yeah it does, and it gives the commentators a little bit more excitement as well. So yeah, I'm loving what the Bulldogs has done this year.
Speaker 3: So this one's popped up today as well. The former or Queensland legend Ben Ken who now runs Queensland Rapid League. But he was actually involved in the Broncos a couple of years ago. He's warned that Michael McGuire could be sacked if he doesn't change.
Speaker 17: Well, I had Madge as a nine ae year old and he was pretty hard then as a Jersey Flagg player down in Canberra. The thing that people if he's gone up there and won, of course it works right and coaches get hired to get fired. They know that. You know, I'm speaking from firsthand. It doesn't matter how successful you are, it's got to be longevity. And the thing that the Brisbane I would say to Brisbane fans is, yeah, they're struggling at the moment. There's some issues around some of the players. I think they're individually they're trying really hard, but as a team collectively they're not. But the other part is like do you want to quick fix or not? You know, the Bulldogs hired Kevin Siraulta a couple of years ago. Didn't happen straight away. Now look at them flying. You know, you've got to give coaches time. When a coach takes over from someone else, you would know this. It takes while to build a roster. Shane Planning and didn't come in overnight and just make the Shark's Premier. So it's a little bit more leeway. It's going to take time to get some players out. They've had a couple of injuries, they've had some mishaps with Yezra Man think. I think they'll be okay. But they are a story right now because they're the biggest club in Australia.
Speaker 3: And so the mad dis is that when Kevy Kevin Wolves was a coach, he was accused of being too soft in the players. Now match's too hard on the players.
Speaker 17: Yeah, well, well, when you're not winning, you look for excuses and right now, unfortunately we're hearing that coming out of the Broncos. Is the excuses about that? So that that sums that up for me.
Speaker 3: Hey, who was the best coach you had? I reckon, I know, but who was the best coach you had?
Speaker 17: I had? I was lucky enough to have a lot of great coaches and I think, you know, we've spoken about this privately. A lot of my coaches were premiership winn has all gone on to win premierships as coaches. So Wayne Bennett was obvious one that stood out for me. I was like enough to have Ivan. I had Shane Flanagan as a young pup, and also Ricky Stewart and Michael maguire. So I've been lucky enough to be coached by some of the greats of the game, and but for me personally, Wayne Bennett was the one.
Speaker 3: Hey, just quickly, Swie, I know you the dad of young kids. This is a bit of a weird one. Have you come across these La Boo boo toys yet?
Speaker 17: No, but my wife's looking at me puzzlingly. Is that the Chinese Labooboo dolver?
Speaker 19: Yes, it's like.
Speaker 17: A key ring. Is it a ring?
Speaker 3: They're like a key ring, like a little toy and a key ring. Some people hang them from the review mirror in their car, but a lot of kids have them. Now they're going to open a big shop in pitt Street in the city selling them. These have become so popular. People going overseas are having to take insurance policies out just in case they're they're lost, they're stolen their damage while they're overseas.
Speaker 17: I reckon, they don't do anything they do, they're just toys.
Speaker 3: I think that is cute. I was wondering whether you had a few in your house with your kids.
Speaker 17: Mate, I'm cute enough in my head. I don't need I don't need any more cute things in my house. I've got two cute daughters and a smoke and hot wife, so that's enough for me. Mate.
Speaker 3: I've got this true story. I've got these little characters, tiny little doll things of a couple of sharks flayers right at home. I've got a Brit Camorley, a Paul Gallon, and a Trent Barrett when he had that short lived career. You got Jamie Soward one of those, and hope.
Speaker 17: I do have one of those. You're talking about the figurine.
Speaker 3: Yeah, the figurine.
Speaker 17: Yeah, they're the old it's a big head.
Speaker 3: That's right, with the big heads.
Speaker 17: I do have a couple of days. I've got a couple of left just tucked away in my drawer, just reminding the girls that I did play.
Speaker 3: It's a bit like a Jamie Soward labooboo doll.
Speaker 17: No, I'm not that popular.
Speaker 3: Hey, Sow, We're going to hear you on the Continuous Call team on the weekend. You are calling the Tigers in the Panthers game Sunday afternoon.
Speaker 17: Yeah, thanks very much. Mate, looking forward to it. It's going to be another big atmosphere, the first time that all those former Panthers play against their play against their side for the West Tigers. So looking forward to that out there at comback on Sunday, get.
Speaker 3: On your Jamie Soward feel looking for MG today. You catch him Sunday afternoon calling the match live here with a continuous call team the Tigers up against the Panthers. If there's something you want to investigate, if something you think is a little curious around the city, let us know about it to GB dot com. That's our word on the street, Temper for a great night's sleep, night after night. The difference is Temper and our best word on the street every week will win two Temper Primar cooling pillows worth six hundred dollars. Just been sent a message about something a little curious in Padstow with the way trucks are operating. We're going to have a look at that tomorrow, so make sure you're listening. But if there's something you'd like to tip us off to word on the street thanks to Temper, send me an email tonight to GB dot com. Now do you remember this? I bet you remember that theme. That is the theme to A Country Practice. Well, it was forty years ago this week that one of the biggest TV events of the nineteen eighties took place. Nineteen eighty five, Molly died on a Country Practice and Molly was one of the best love characters of A Country Practice. You remember her. She was played by an Tenny Molly Jones, and she was a household name in the nineteen eighties, and she was she was sick during the program and she was married to she was married to one of the other stars, Brendan so Brendan was played by Shane Whittington, and they were such a popular couple and Australians were glued to their television sets that night forty years ago like nothing else. It was probably the biggest event, probably along with the marriage of Charlene and Shane in Neighbors, probably the biggest TV event of the nineteen eighties.
Speaker 25: Tell him to expose your minds?
Speaker 19: Do you maybe agin your questioning on Sydney.
Speaker 2: Now Christian's questions on Ancodin's questions, that's an important I know you are answer a question Clinton's quick Where.
Speaker 3: You've got a television event you reckon? Was bigger than a country practice when Mobley passed away in the nineteen eighties. Just send me a text before the end of the show. Zero four zero eight seven three out seven three. But let's play the quiz for a Wednesday afternoon. We're looking for some contestants. Will win a five hundred dollars voucher thanks to Winston with a y Winston dot com dot au. Graham is in East Kalara. Hello Graham, He Clinton, I'm good, my friend. And Melissa's in Leichhart.
Speaker 15: Hi, Clinton, I'm good.
Speaker 3: You're gonna go first? Ok? Your thirty second starts?
Speaker 14: Now?
Speaker 3: What color is Elmo's fur in SESI mystery.
Speaker 13: Red?
Speaker 3: Correct? May the Force Be with You is from which movie fan franchise? Correct? It's raining again? Is an eighty song by which band past Super Tramp? Which public holiday is this Monday?
Speaker 15: King's Birthday?
Speaker 3: Correct? I thought that might be a trick question. The stars Gill Banner is an anthem? I've finished this one. The anthem of which nation? It's a big one? A lot of states.
Speaker 21: I'm Europe.
Speaker 3: No, it's not you, It's the United States.
Speaker 20: Hoe.
Speaker 3: You finished on three. You've got a big chance, Graham. Your thirty second starts, now, what is the square root of eighty one nine? Correct? Which country was once ruled by the czars? Russia? Rolling in the Deep is a song by which singer Adele What gas do plants absorb from the air?
Speaker 16: None?
Speaker 3: Regen carbon dioxide? What sport did Serena Williams play Kenneth Correct? How many minutes we're around? A time there too, unfortunately, Graham, Melissa, congratulations, you're the winner.
Speaker 4: Great, thank you.
Speaker 3: We're going to send you out a fabulous five hundred dollars voutcher. Thank you to Winston Winston with a Y you can get twenty five percent of motorized lions, curtains and aunings and more Winston dot com dot au. It was forty years ago this week Molly died on a country practice as one of the bigauset TV events of nineteen eighty five, actually the eighties. Carmel on the text one says, I've never cried so much over a TV show the night that Molly died, and I never watched the Country practice again as a result because I was heartbroken. Pete says, did you know Molly and Brendan are actually married in real life? As well and they have a daughter.
Speaker 2: And now a preview of what's coming up on Wide World of Sports for the Serrato successor the turbo charged Kia K four, Kia's all new small sedan GT line very unavailable now find out more about Kia's latest small car.
Speaker 3: Adam Hall's hosting Wildwood, a sports tonight with his best mate Reese Welsh.
Speaker 31: Note wheezy unavailable mate.
Speaker 3: Now he's hosting with Spud.
Speaker 31: Yeah, I've gone with Mark Carroll, one of the legends. MG's obviously gone down, so Spard has gladly for us stepped up in the breach and guess who plays tomorrow Manley v. Newcastle. So many great memories of Chief versus Spuds, so we'll talk about that, plus Manley's bid to keep the travoyevige Brothers in morn and White. Stefano U Takamado will join us. He's in line from New South Wales call up and Wally Messer will give us all the lightest of the French open.
Speaker 3: I'll also be interested to hear at Spud's thoughts being a formost Rabbit OZ player about South's moving back to Alliance or the Sydney Football stadium.
Speaker 31: He has some strong thoughts that will be coming up very short.
Speaker 3: Personally, I reckon it's a no brainer. It's the best stadium in So.
Speaker 31: That's what Campbell Graham said. You've been listening to Campbell. I know, I think he had some scripts in front of him.
Speaker 3: But it's the best stadium in the city. And it's not used enough. Yeah, like you A league games and you've got some wartar. It's their home, isn't it. And it's there from that area. Yeah, you know, no argument.
Speaker 31: It will just build a rivalry.
Speaker 10: Get him in.
Speaker 3: There, Hawsey. You'll be on after six o'clock with wild Water Sports with Mark Carroll. Now, just an update that situation of Padsdo. Thankfully, the man whose arm was caught in the Menk grind is actually doing really well now. He's had a bit of a lucky escape here. The paramedics and the firefighters were on the scene fairly quickly, so thankfully he's okay. It is just eleven degrees in Sydney at the moment. It's going to get a little cooler. But the good news is despite it being quite drizzled throughout the last couple of hours, it is going to be fine and sunny tomorrow. It won't be hot, but after all it is winter. Thank you for your company over the past couple of hours. We do a lot again tomorrow. This is Sydney now,