Speaker 1: Lot of the airways.
Speaker 2: Here is my request. You don't have to play, but you'll do your best. I've been listening to Sure Ray and you seem lack of friends.
Speaker 1: Nathan Kosh with his backing group.
Speaker 3: Yes here, I had to buy them dinner tonight. Yes, it's getting expensive me coming in here. Yes, but it's worth it. Isn't that they do so nice, don't they?
Speaker 1: I think it is. Everyone should have a choir, Yes, I think so.
Speaker 3: We do the deep voice thing and you can mix it, match it and do all that kind of stuff.
Speaker 1: And now here's one of the ladies. Well, you know, it's a little bit different, but anyway, we try and match the voices up. I think it seems to work. Marvelous.
Speaker 3: How are you, Nate, I'm very well. I'm very well. I uh just had a well flew to Brisbane and back. Well, depending where you are, either this morning or yesterday morning. Yeah, of course we're here and everywhere. And we get a line check, a flying check every two years. And I did mine and everything went okay despite all the fun and games that we had. Yeah, it's good, so I'm good to go for another two years.
Speaker 1: I was listening, I know I'm not supposed to say this, but I was listening to Kyle and Jackie. Oh what Well, I listened to the podcasts of bits and pieces of their show, and last week, last week, a week before, they did a series of calls where they were talking to air hostesses flight attendants. Sorry, yeah, there were the time sign Well most of them were hostesses and there was one bloke who rang in for the segment, but the rest were all women and they were just talking about the things that the games they play, and some of them I wouldn't discuss on here, but there was one that I thought was good. On international flights, a flight to some of the flight attendants play a game called Where's the Cheese? And they get a little bit of cheese while everyone's sleeping, and they put it on a passenger's shoulder and then then they come back and it's and then the other flight attendants have to go and find the piece of cheese.
Speaker 3: The things you learn, I'm here for two minutes and I've already learned something.
Speaker 1: Well, so now you're up the front, you're up at the point were flying. The thing you don't get.
Speaker 3: We miss all of that stuff. No, I've not heard of that.
Speaker 4: No.
Speaker 3: It's a good game though, isn't it Just you know sometimes, you know, when we're bored we get to play ice Spy. But that has.
Speaker 1: Very Yeah, something beginning with this, yeah, something beginning with them Moon. Yeah, with.
Speaker 3: Again Sky Yeah, that's it. Monty Python Horizon. Yes, Munty Python did a sketch about that, which is very funny. They were playing ice Spy and then Michael Palin, who plays the steward, and you know, he comes in and they go, okay, well let's you know, let's let's get things going. It's all a bit quiet back there, yes, and I think it was John Clees was the captain and he goes, ladies and John, there is absolutely nothing to worry about. Yes, And Michael Palin's looking out the door. Yes, they're all starting to get agitated. Now again, ladies and gentlemen, the left engine is not on fire and goes on along those lines and everybody starts panicking in the cabin. Now wonderful. Having said that, let me say this. We don't do stuff like that. No, we don't muck around with people.
Speaker 1: Do you do when you do make announcements? Though? Are you allowed to have a bit of personality.
Speaker 3: Oh look, I tend not to because I have no personality, but I do have a few of my colleagues that are very good. But gee, I think well, as with all comedy, you really have to be so very careful and given that it's a professional sort of situation, one needs to be very mindful. But there are those that just have that happy knack of being able to say funny stuff, and sadly that's not me.
Speaker 1: See if I were if I was the pilot, right, if I were you and you're at Tullamarine Airport in Melbourne and you're heading to Perth, I'd love to just say, ladies and gentlemen, just like changing plans that they were heading west to go to Perth, it's going to take a little longer than usual, and just do that.
Speaker 3: You know, yes, well most people we've done it where by mistake, you know you're going to Perth and you say, oh, well you know we're heading off to Sydney and whatever, and you get you get no response. Nobody listens to the so you can probably get away with any Many many years ago, in a little airline where I used to work before my current employee, I meant to say you're heading east.
Speaker 4: I know.
Speaker 3: No, it works if you say we're heading west anyway, just to make it sound like it's something unusual, and then most people would.
Speaker 1: Go, I meant to say, I've just missed, completely missing.
Speaker 3: But it works the other way as well. See that's the sign of a good joke that it works whether you east or west. But yeah, and somebody decided they were just going to do their whole pais Donald Duck. No one commented, No one cared and listened anywhere. Yes, so it's probably a bit of room for latitude. But no, I'm very mindful of not because the last thing I want to do is offend anybody.
Speaker 1: Or yeah, now, have you ever had what happens if mid flight a flight attendant knocks on your door and says, we have an unruly passenger. Yes, whose job is that to deal with the unruly passenger?
Speaker 3: They do. The flight attendants do, and they're trained.
Speaker 1: Although we're all you don't get to come down with your hat on.
Speaker 3: Look, no we don't. We don't get involved. We leave it up to the flight attendants. And I think nowadays, really since September eleven and what happened there that all of a sudden, We've got on a aircraft one hundred and eighty air marshals, yes, three passengers, and everybody's going to get involved, whereas once upon a time they wouldn't. So it has happened.
Speaker 1: And yeah, because I could picture you walking down the aisle with the captain's hat on and a parachute and say.
Speaker 3: You have a choice.
Speaker 1: That's how I handled the situation.
Speaker 3: Well, we don't have people are sitting down off do we have parachutes? And no, we don't have parachutes, of course not, but well one I'm not going to say, but yeah, it's no. No, we have to leave it to the flight attendants. We leave it to the cabin crew to deal with everything and they will enlist help or people will be will be helpful. And there was a few years ago, I mean it was all over the media. It's no secret about someone coming back from Bali, what is it about Bali and was absolutely off their head with something, and it took They had some army personnel on board and they got involved as well, and they had to keep this person subdued because for the whole flight, and it wasn't long after take off, this person was just absolutely off their head for whatever reason, be it mental health issue or some sort of chemical and they had to basically sit on them and keep them subdued for the whole flight to get them in. And they were going to diverting where there were reasons why they didn't. They did a great job. But yeah, they had to keep this person under control. And we're look them in the loo or some well, because we're going to throw themselves around and do that. That's how bad it was. So they essentially just had to just hold hold them down for the whole flight. Wow. And this person just had unlimited energy just just continue to thresh around and be a danger to themselves and to everyone around.
Speaker 1: Wow. So but as the pilot, you get to just turn the radio up and keep the door locked.
Speaker 3: We do, we do, indeed. But no, they're very well trained and that's what they do. And you know, our job is to fly the aeroplane and make sure we get everybody back on the ground safely, and we leave it to those behind the door to deal with what they have to deal with.
Speaker 1: I've just never understood. You see social media posts and stuff of people going getting angry on off float about irrelevant stuff. You know, they're they're putting their bag above my seat in the overhead locker. It shouldn't be above my seat, and getting angry about it. You just do you want to be thrown off the plane?
Speaker 3: Is We're happy to oblige when people behave like that, and I've had to do that a few times, But generally I think it's that people might be nervous fliers or stressed about where they're going, why they're going, that sort of thing, and they just behave inappropriately because they've just got all this tension and they're all wound up, and so they let it out in an inappropriate manner.
Speaker 1: But how many flights do you do each week? On average? Oh?
Speaker 3: Very so, can be anything up to twenty.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and like on probably on almost every flight, nothing ever happened. No, there's very little. Noah has ever.
Speaker 3: What do they say? Our job is ours of sheer board and punctuated by moments of sheer terrors.
Speaker 1: Yeah, one double three six nine three or one double three eight eighty two. If you want to call in, Nathan costUS here for a while, looking forward to taking your calls, and he is as well as talking airline stuff, which is what I generally talk about with Nathan. He is also a qualified VET, so he's got an enormous brain and you can quiz him on all manner of things.
Speaker 3: If you build me up too much, we're going to let people down.
Speaker 1: Well I could if I spent the next ten years of my life, I could never qualify to be a VET or a pilot litt alone both you could do both. No, put your mind to it.
Speaker 3: Ten years done. No, I'll start training tomorrow.
Speaker 1: Jay and I were talking earlier off here about the stuff goes in one ear and out the other with us. So I've passed the age of learning. I don't take anything in anymore.
Speaker 3: Well, it's, as someone once pointed out, it's because as you get older, your brain becomes full, so that when one piece of information goes in, it pushes something else out.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 3: And the trouble is you don't know what's been pushed out until you need.
Speaker 1: It, until you get What gets pushed out every day for me is where I put my car keys.
Speaker 3: Yes, that's why they have these whistling ALARMI things for car keys.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and air tag things as well, just in case you've left them in the car. Exactly a break and back with your calls. Oh they're coming through now. I got on your Lenen, Peter and others. We can see the lines wringing there with you all. Very soon we're back. Nathan Kosch is here, and Nathan was about to ask me a question. Is that for an air or off?
Speaker 3: It's just it's it's it's nothing. It would be too boring for Annie. It's going to be boring enough off it, but not just I'll ask you in the next break.
Speaker 1: Now we've got Len, Peter and Arthur. If you'll hang on just a moment. Guys, Jay, you've managed to find that Monty Python sketch that that we were talking about just a little earlier. Yeah, ready, ready to roll. Let's let's have a listen.
Speaker 5: I spy with minded lie Something beginning with sky high.
Speaker 1: Spine mind Lies something.
Speaker 6: See.
Speaker 1: Ye oh god, I'm bored.
Speaker 7: Let's play another game.
Speaker 8: Hi, do what?
Speaker 9: Hello?
Speaker 10: And this is your captain speaking. There is absolutely no cause for a lack.
Speaker 5: No, no, no, no, not yet, they're thinking. They're thinking, what is there absolutely no cause for alarm?
Speaker 8: About?
Speaker 10: Are the wings on fast? The wings are not on fast? Now they're thinking, why should he say that?
Speaker 11: So we say, Oh.
Speaker 4: How are we doing?
Speaker 1: I stopped eating with me a bit worried.
Speaker 12: Good, Hang on, one, let's go to the wash room.
Speaker 13: Is he there yet?
Speaker 12: Please return to your seats and fasten your safety don't.
Speaker 3: Yes, here he comes going off the arm.
Speaker 13: You will find your life jackets under your seats. I'm sorry, you will find them mony wrecks about your heads. Not unfast and you're safe.
Speaker 4: Great, that was marvelous, gobbledly goose.
Speaker 12: The scransons above your head are now ready to flag. Please unfasten your safety belts and plass the emergency photo scamps on the back of the seats behind you.
Speaker 10: Love meaning about climbing over the seats, but do not leave your seats.
Speaker 4: Do not panic. TA will now be sir.
Speaker 12: Inflate your life jacket and extinguish your cigarettes. Please remove the luggage from the w recks above your head and place it on the recks on the other side of the aircraft, except which you should sit on.
Speaker 1: Look, hang on, hold on, they won't jumped out. You know, I wouldn't be supright because there wasn't some trouble about there. It is. It's a great sketch, isn't isn't it just the were very good Monty Python And that's one of the rare ones we've actually had a tag at the end.
Speaker 3: It was just about to say, usually they just jumped from one to the other because they couldn't finish their sketches, could they.
Speaker 1: They had no great sketches, but bad punchlines.
Speaker 3: Yeah, yeah, but that one, it had one.
Speaker 1: It is great. Len is in Melton High Len.
Speaker 8: Good day, mate, Nathan. I actually ejected a passenger of a cross float.
Speaker 3: Yes, was it recently a long time ago?
Speaker 4: Well back?
Speaker 8: Yeah, when I was working there in catering, I was checking off catering wise and I was just standing there with the going your frank forward going, and passengers are coming on. We're having it, you know. Than they were settling down and missing it. And the last guy that comes, everyone's going, happy New Year, Happy New Year, Happy new This was a long time after nine to eleven, this guy on and this down and fighting goes happy terrorism. Oh the guy and galley with me, Yeah, you better go and tell the skiople what he said. And he went in and he got turfed out.
Speaker 3: Absolutely.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 3: No, we don't tolerate that sort of behavior, for sure.
Speaker 4: Not.
Speaker 8: It's just one more question, please, Nathan, have you ever find choppers?
Speaker 3: No, it's a very different skill.
Speaker 8: The reason asking Tony toy I was on to show this Jackie Belgrad and I think it's Tony when I stop a right using him one of those old bell goppers now doors.
Speaker 3: Yes, yeah, mash, yep, yep, top jobs.
Speaker 8: And it's just head banks to the right. And you think I mean those things normally when they do a bank to the right, they're sort of sort of heading up upwards, in and upwards. Sit you're back in your suit anyway.
Speaker 3: It depends whether it's a descending turn or a level turn. A climbing turn would sit you back in your seat. Yes, it's what.
Speaker 1: Sorry, it's not going to throw you out.
Speaker 3: No, no, no, Well you've got to have a seat belt on anyway, because it is open. I mean, there's no way you'd sit in one without a seat belt.
Speaker 8: No, no, exactly.
Speaker 3: Yeah, but speaking of and I'll.
Speaker 8: Tell you what, Mike, you did some great aas I'll tell you I reckon. You've been there for a while, haven't.
Speaker 3: You coming up for twenty five years now?
Speaker 8: Nineties?
Speaker 3: No, not yet, not yet. I was flying but not with not with I was still in the general aviation, building up my hours, getting my experience doing the different jobs that we have to do before we get on. Like Simon working in country radio. Yeah, same sort of thing you do your apprenticeship.
Speaker 8: But I didn't do a lot of domestic raft anyway. Were working international.
Speaker 3: Yes, I started off in international and the jumbos for three years, and then came to domestic.
Speaker 8: What what what jumbo?
Speaker 1: Are you flying?
Speaker 3: The classic jumbos? The old ones? It's with a well for those in the two hundred and three hundreds in the sps, but the old ones still had a flight engineer, and when we started as second officers we had to do a flight engineer's license as well, So I was sitting in the flight engineer's seat flipping switches and pushing buttons. They were a very very manual aeroplane. These days, everything's all done by computers. Flight engineers no longer exist, except in the Russian aircraft. They have lots of flight.
Speaker 8: Engineers, all right, tall cross crowds somewhere.
Speaker 3: Along and now. I started in two thousand.
Speaker 8: Two thousand, yeah, yeah, well in what and carrying tracks international in eighty four and through two thousand.
Speaker 3: And seven there you go.
Speaker 1: Yeah, there you go.
Speaker 3: So we might have crossed paths somewhere. I was in the International in two thousand and from two thousand to two thousand and three. But just bringing up that the bell, Bell, helicopters and MASH. It was sad news this week that Loretta Swit passed away.
Speaker 1: Yeah, very sad, Thank you, Lynn, I appreciate the call. Yes, very sad. Hot lips all the hands. Yes, I mentioned yesterday there were two there were two particular scenes of hers in MASH that I just thought were just just showed what a great actress she was. There was an episode where she had a falling out with the nurses because they never invited her to their games, they never offered her a cup of coffee or whatever, and she felt really sort of ostracized from the rest of the nurses just because she was the boss. Yes, So there's an episode where she has quite a breakdown over that, and I thought she was marvelous. That made me bore my eyes out. And there's another episode where there was a dog, a stray dog that had gone into camp, Yes, and she heard that the dog had been hit by a jeep and died, and she lost it over that and again just such fantastic acting. And that's the like the serious yes here jerking acting, but comic comic wise, she was fantastic as well.
Speaker 3: But that was the beauty of Mash, wasn't it that? You know? It would go from laughing hysterically to a moment, and often it was Radarr O'Reilly who changed the mood. They'd all be laughing and carrying on and having mud fights and doing whatever, and then he'd stop and get up and prick his ears up and you know, say choppers, and then everyone had get up and go and clean themselves up because they were wounded coming in, so they could really switch the mood. The writing was brilliant, the acting was amazing, and that's why it's still on TV all these years later.
Speaker 1: Yeah, great series, and Hawk I pretty much just a clone of Groucho Marks. Yes, but what a great job Elean Elder did of it, didn't he? Yeah? Great character, yes, exactly. All right, a break back with more calls in a moment, Peter and Arthur, you'll be next. It's twenty five to one in Melbourne, twenty five to eleven in Perth, and in Adelaide five after midnight. Nathan Cosh is here talking Pets and jets and we're taking your calls. Peter's in talking for you.
Speaker 6: Nathan, Good Peter, Yeah, good, Good morning guys. Nathan. Look, I'm unfortunate enough to go and fly the simulators a few times. I'm not a pilot, and I explain to people. Everybody's heard it, but a lot of people don't understand it. You know when you say armed doors at unarmed doors? Yes, and people who's all got to do about the slide in the door. In a couple of years, one of the slides actually got deployed on the jets Jet when it landed at tullim Ring there and everybody's heard it, but nobody understands about it.
Speaker 3: Yes, Well, the doors they can either open, just open as is, or they can open and deploy their slide. So when we pull up at the g and when the caterers are coming in everything, obviously it's not a good idea to have the slide deploy And it has happened around the world at various times, and people have been killed because you can imagine this slide that the force of this slide has knocked people off catering trucks or knocked them off stairs, that type of thing, And so we arm doors and disarmed doors. So when we disarm them, it means we disconnect the slides from the doors so that they can be open normally. And then once we all closed up and ready to go, we arm them so that if the door had to be opened in a hurry for an evacuation or whatever, then you push the door open and the slide automatically deploys. So it's something that there's a routine. And now the flight attendants on the other side of the aircraft be left or right, we'll check that the door is armed and disarmed properly, just to avoid the potential for someone opening a door with the slide still attached and a problem.
Speaker 1: How interesting are you looking to become a pilot, Peter.
Speaker 6: No, No, I just know somebody. I think the last time I went there, it's quite easy to fly in, but coming into land, I.
Speaker 3: Think it's very difficult, very difficult.
Speaker 6: Can I talk me up a bit here, Yeah, Yeah, it's a very it's like playing a big video machine when you're in there, and it's a great experience.
Speaker 3: Yes it is, And there's not official simulators but around Australia, I'm sure in Perth and in Adelaide as well as Melbourne, there's a i think they're called Flight Experience or something, and you can go and they have a simulator that doesn't move, but you can do all sorts of fun and games and they'll have generally a general aviation pilot who will take you around because they're well versed in these things and do some fun stuff in the airplane, which of course we don't do fun stuff in the airplane do real I.
Speaker 6: Think we've gone under the Harvard Bridge and gone under the bridge, and it's amazing how you can land in any airport in the world or any runway in the world. Cleaning the computers, yeah, oh yeah, it's got all of the terrain, it's got all of the visual all the graphics and everything there, and it's they're very, very realistic these days.
Speaker 3: And of course one of the famous approaches was into the old airport at Hong Kong at Kai Tak and there was a.
Speaker 1: Bit between the building, yeah, and a big.
Speaker 3: Checkerboard on the hill and you had to sort of aim at the checker. I never got to flight for real, but I did it in the simulator and you head towards this checkerboard and then you reach a certain height and then you turn off, and then there's the runway down there because you couldn't do a straight in approach because the hill was there. So people used to go up on the mountain there with the stand at the checkerboard and take video and so on. And there's heaps of it on YouTube of aeroplanes heading straight for the mountain and then peeling off at the last minute and going in and landing.
Speaker 1: Is that airport still in news.
Speaker 3: No, they stopped there was close to town, and so they closed it up and then all the buildings shot up. They built all the tall buildings because there's height restrictions on your way into any airport. They have to have a safe display where you know, the aircraft have to be able to move about freely. And so they actually built an island off Hong Kong, yeah, and filled it up and then built the new airport there called Czech lap Cock And yeah, that's where the airport is. But the old Chai Tak closed down many moons ago.
Speaker 1: I just find that amazing. Just go out the middle of the bay and start tipping dirt in there and they eventually put an airport on.
Speaker 3: The Yep, they do that, and the Chinese are very good at doing things like that. Yeah, they get these infrastructure. I wonder if they can build a tunnel.
Speaker 1: I was going to say, why why don't we outsource that because I'm sure the connecting link for Melbourne, the from the Ring Road, yes out to the Eastern Freeway that they're doing now. Yes, it's going to take them probably another year or so at least at least, Yeah, but I reckon if we got the Chinese people out here who do their stuff.
Speaker 3: Yeah, yeah, it'll be done yesterday.
Speaker 1: Yeah, they could knock it off in a fortnight at least. Yeah. Incredible. Arthur's in Westwood's great, Hi.
Speaker 11: Arthur, good morning, Simon, Nathan and Jay. You know Loretta you're talking about from mash She was also in Hawaii five. Oh occasionally the old.
Speaker 3: One or the new one?
Speaker 1: The yeah, the original.
Speaker 3: Yeah, they've remade it. So there's the one with Jack Lord and the one without Jack and the one with Yeah, I was trying to cover I don't even know in the new one, but if they've changed it all.
Speaker 11: But anyway, I just wanted to ask in Nathan, do A Marshall still travel on certain planes.
Speaker 3: Yeah, for security reasons, absolutely, they just undercover people who will go flowing on aeroplanes just in case.
Speaker 11: Another thing I wanted to bring up. I was watching NBC News the American just before local news, and I've seen something unusual and this time the birds went outside. There was a quite a few pigeons inside the plane that dole capturing.
Speaker 3: What did they were they in this cargo and escaped or something in the hand like.
Speaker 11: I'm not they were just flying in there inside. Yeah, yeah, I'm not sure which company it was.
Speaker 3: They couldn't come in from outside, so they must have somehow without a ticket, not without a ticket and going through security of course, but yeah, I don't know.
Speaker 11: I'm sure see one being captured. So, like you said, there must have been a cargo or for a minute of the escape.
Speaker 3: Maybe a magician had had a bag full of birds that escaped, or.
Speaker 1: If it's just a little like domestic flight and you're going up the stairs the door lie in. Yeah, possibly, Yeah, that's probably the most likely explanation for a bird actually being inside the body of the.
Speaker 3: Will you see them in the terminal quite regularly. You see sparrows and things that have flown in when the when the doors have been open, and you see them flapping around in the terminal, and they do have after hours there are people from the airport with big nets that try and catch them around.
Speaker 1: And chase them. Yeah, it happens in shopping centers.
Speaker 3: Yeah, that's right, anything like that. But just when you're talking about Hawaii five Ozho and Jack Lord and the building there the Ilakai when he's those who remember he's standing on the balconoor and then yeah, there's a there's a close up of him. Just around the corner from there is a little marina, and that marina was from whence the SS Minnow departed? Oh was it for Gilligan's Island?
Speaker 1: Is that right?
Speaker 3: Yes, so that's where they filmed the Minnow the data uture for a three hour tour.
Speaker 1: And in the ISLD episode, apparently the if you look at the background there was the flag was flying at half mast and that was because it was the death of j. Hays assassination. Okay, so it was filmed at that time, right, so the flag was at half mast. I remember reading that as a as a trivial piece and thinking.
Speaker 3: Now, why is it that if I said to you now, Simon, I'm going to tell you something that is going to save your life. This is going to change your life forever. Within about ten seconds, you're going to forget it. Yes, But if I tell you who are you? Look? Yeah, he is just a nonsensical figure or fact or figure or whatever. It will never be forgotten.
Speaker 1: That's the stuff I remember, ye pointless, ye rubbish. That's just not important at all.
Speaker 3: I think we're all like that really, just one of those weird things.
Speaker 1: There was a sketch on a radio show called I'm sorry, I'll read that again, and it was a John and Betty sketch, male and female having an argument, and the character of John said I've got something to tell you and she says yes, and he says Cardinal Rieschlu died in sixteen forty two. Oh no, And she says, all right, so mother was wrong. Well I've always remembered Cardinal Rieschlu died in sixteen forty two. It was just a funny, funny little line. But I remember that, yes, so yeah, unusual fact.
Speaker 3: But his mother was wrong, Yeah, exactly.
Speaker 1: But Cardinal Richelieu, if you're interested people died in sixteen forty two, and yeah, I don't know why. I've always remembered that when you go on the chase, Yeah, well he wants to a millionaire or hot seed or whatever. Yes, yes, a million dollar question. When did Cardinal reeschlu die?
Speaker 3: You'll be screaming at the television?
Speaker 1: Yeah? Have you ever done that? Have you ever watched that? One percent?
Speaker 3: Class Bits and Pieces? Yeah?
Speaker 1: I love that?
Speaker 3: Which one the English one, of the Australian one, well.
Speaker 1: The English one Udley mac Yeah, Lee is so funny. Lee Mack is one of the greatest comic talents. I've ever seen him.
Speaker 3: And have you've seen him on? Would I lie to you?
Speaker 1: I've seen clicks.
Speaker 3: Yes, it's just amazing those the people that do that. It is so so funny.
Speaker 1: Yeah, they're very good. The original show that I first saw Lee mac on was a show called The Sketch Show, right, and it's some of the funniest television I have ever seen in my life.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 1: Yeah, the cast I don't know who all the other I don't remember all their names, but there was three guys to girls and they just did all these wonderful sketches, just pure brilliance, Absolutely brilliance.
Speaker 3: I mean, isn't that the thing? I mean, we Australia had it. It's a golden period of sketch comedy when there was fast forward comedy companies. Yeah, and Magda Zabanski was in the news as well. He's going through some tough times at the moment.
Speaker 1: Yeshuawell macder if you're listening, sending all our love Magda a legend. Yes, we better get another breakout of the way surge and Bob you'll be up next. Welcome back to Australia overnight. Nathan Cosh is here and we're taking your calls. Surgery is in Williamstown High Surgery.
Speaker 14: Shallow boys. I hope you're going having a good night.
Speaker 3: Yeah, and you why why are you up the sash.
Speaker 14: I was not even to talk about it, but I've mentioned it briefly. I'm actually airline pilot and I'm on holiday in Australia for the next three months. My daughter gave birth to her to her kids.
Speaker 3: Congratulations you're visiting, Yes.
Speaker 14: Yes, thank you. I fly the Big three fifty aircraft is beautiful air Yeah, with whom Turkish Airlines?
Speaker 3: Okay, what Turkish airlines are coming to Australia now, of course I know, but only the seven eight seven so.
Speaker 14: Well, no, it's actually they come last year and they're flying E three fifty aircraft. At the moment, I actually flew the not the inaugirl but the second flight to Australia on the three fifty aircraft and it is a primary aircraft is flying between Melbourne and Singapore to Istanbul.
Speaker 3: Yes, they're very very good airline Turkish.
Speaker 14: Oh, it's very good airline and is obviously offered im on the economy and business class, but is the corptual and the service it is the main thing. So I love being a pilot is my favorite thing.
Speaker 3: Yes, good and you've been doing it for a while.
Speaker 14: Yes, I come met at the Air Force. Yes, and then obviously the transitioned onto initially the Bowing seven thirty seven and then you know us E three thirty and now the three fifties. From the pilot in command, well done, the captain, thank you, Thank you boys.
Speaker 1: Was there always a dream of your surgery from a young boy.
Speaker 14: Of course. You know my father was actually pilot, so but he was not civilian pilot. He was a military pilot. But I not have much interesting in military pilot. But in Turkey you have to go through the military to actually progress to civilian aircraft.
Speaker 3: Yes, here we have some of some of my colleagues came through the military and others. Most of us came through civilian light aircraft and all the rest of it and then moved on into the airlines. So that's that's lovely that you hear. For that you're able to take a break and here with your grandchild and with your daughter. And William Williams townspecially went.
Speaker 14: To watch I actually went to watch my son's team. There's a big thing going on in Melbourne with social media and I do see it on TikTok as well as the football is futsal and actually I went to watch my son play in Moroban today and this team is actually KFFC. They're getting a lot of publicity online and this and that, but I want to watch them drive from Ristown. Very underwhelming my son's team. They destroy they destroyed this team. I was very underwhelmed.
Speaker 11: You know.
Speaker 14: I don't like teams to promote themselves like this Keft team, but they're not delivered on the field. They were embarrassing. They got smashed. Yes, they took a big game on social media, but they're not delivered. You know, is underwhelming, is embarrasting often. I know they're just kids, but it is not good enough.
Speaker 3: Yes, but isn't isn't it much better to be supporting the team that's doing the smashing rather than the one that's getting clovered.
Speaker 14: Of course, But you know, I see these boys that some of them on Turkish origin, some of the more Greek origin. You think, you know, they have bigger representation, you know, a big community, but you know, I want to see them do well. And then they're not doing well. Man, You know, you have to represent the community well. And you know this team is Anglo team who I play against My son is my son is Turkish, but he's playing for Anglo team and you know he's playing against his team. You know, I expect you know, the team. You know, they're usually passionate Europeans, but men they play, they're a lubbish man, you know. But it is good to see that it's growing. It is that's growing in the state of Victoria. Yeah, I really like this.
Speaker 1: Yes, now, Sergey, quick question for me because your kids are here, but you're over here. On holiday, could you I would you ever consider like leaving Turkish Airlines and getting a job with local comping Quantas well.
Speaker 14: The problem is is seniority with pilots, as you understand. So I'd live there but this three fifty as captain, but probably would not have the same seniority coming onto getting the three fifty. But I would be your first officer. I'll be senior first officer, yes, likely so, And this is the problem. You know, I'm fifty eight, I've got seven more years of flying, you know by the time I build myself up as pilot within Quantas.
Speaker 3: Yes, you wouldn't get a command. Again, just for those that don't know, most airlines work on a seniority system, so it's based on your date of joining. Oh okay, so as you just you become the bottom of the pile when you join, and then over the years you gradually build up in seniority then and then it's yeah, so your ability to be promoted or going onto the different fleets and all the rest of it. It all just depends on how long you've been in the company. So if Sergey was to come to well, any other airline really, although there are some that do contracts take contract pilots, and so you can work for a while as you can come in directly as a captain. But yeah, if you're going to join the mainline operation of most of these airlines, be they Virgin quantas, whatever, that even with all the experience that Sergei has, he would be the most junior pilot in the new company and have to start again. You don't take your rank with you.
Speaker 1: Is there a logical reason for that? Pure it doesn't make sense them.
Speaker 3: There is in that it's very fair and it's very transparent as far as promotions are concerned, because there are other companies where they don't do it, and you know, nepotism reigns supreme, or if you know you're in favor with management, then people get promoted early on, and so it becomes a bit of an issue, whereas with a seniority number, it's transparent to all. And then when they say, right next to you, we've got this number of positions on this fleet or this number of positions on that fleet, and you bid to go across or you put your hand up, and then it just works in order of seniority. So it's not a perfect system, but at least it's fair and least in our way. Yeah, that people can't sort of get promoted well out of seniority just because they happen to get on well with the management or that type of thing.
Speaker 1: All right, we've got to get another break, and thank you, sergery grankful. I appreciate that. Me sitting back listening to two pilots talk to.
Speaker 3: Each yetscoring as bat droppings, isn't it?
Speaker 1: It was great? Good call back in a minute right over for those on hold, if you'll happily hang on because Gabriel Hodson's about to bring you the latest news, and then Nathan Kosh will stick around because Maggie sent a text through if night flying Bat's a problem and Nathan has said they're not, but it's just led to something interesting, Nathan, which we'll talk about after the news.
Speaker 3: If you're okay we can do that.
Speaker 1: Yeah, because yeah, you do occasionally hit things, which we will discuss that and take one of your calls with our number two with Nathan coj Pets and jets here on Australia overnight.
Speaker 15: Yes, now this is a stranger Open Eyes with Simon Owen's.
Speaker 1: Take you back to your days on the Fox or on Triple M.
Speaker 3: Sorry, yes, yes.
Speaker 1: Hungry like the Wolf, Yes.
Speaker 3: Yes, it's not funny. You know we I think we all move with the music of our time, don't we. So when we're when we're young, it's the cutting edge and everything, and then you start to change radio stations and move along with it and that becomes your era of music until you get to the point where you can't hear it anymore. And then it's too.
Speaker 1: Bad because no one's catering.
Speaker 3: Catering for it. Yeah, that's radio for the death work.
Speaker 1: But none, none of us hit listeners. Now we're all into the gold net.
Speaker 3: That's right exactly. But you know that's at the time though, of course it was. You know, we all thought we were you know, yeah, we're pretty cool and all this great music that was going on. And now you look at the revival tours, the defibrillated tour of all of these bands, you know.
Speaker 1: Phil Phil Collins last tour was called not Dead Yet. Yes, yeah, so it says it all, doesn't it. That's the voice of Nathan Kosh If you've just joined us. Simon Owens in the chair for Tony McManus again this morning, Jay is here as well taking your calls, and Nathan Kosh is in the studio with pets and jets. Now, just before we do get back to your calls and thank you for hanging on. Maggie did send a text for you saying if you're flying at night, bat's a problem.
Speaker 3: Yes, they're not usually, although I did one night actually ironically landing in Adelaide, where Maggie lives. Just as I was touching down, heard a splat on the wind screen. And when we taxi back in this was at night, and there was a big, big mark on the wind screen and we call the safety officers who were patrolling the airport all the time, and they had a look and they found a poor little fruit bat that it got in our way. But that's a normally very very good at keeping away from aeroplanes because they're so na it's very good. But this one, maybe I don't know. I was looking for some food or something that just you know, you just lose concentration for one minute and it's all over. He's probably checking his Instagram, might have done.
Speaker 1: But now you did say that when we spoke about this during the outbreak before the news, you did say that on occasions a bird will Yes there's a bird striker, but just hopefully not a large one. But yes, it does happen. And you said something off here that really intrigued me. Do you want to repeat what that was?
Speaker 3: Yes, Well, when just by way of background, with the engines, then we take some of the compressed air out of that engine and then run it back into the cabin as well through an air conditioning machine. But that forms the a the air conditioning, and be the pressurization because we pump up the cabin like a pressure vessel. That's why we can fly as high as we can. If we were up at thirty five thousand feet without pressurization, then you know it's not breathe living you would be able to breathe exactly. So they tap air off. Having said that, the newer ones now have separate electrical machines anyway, but most of the aeroplanes have still got where they take the air off or bleed air they call it, and take it away from the engine. And if you look at a modern jet engine, then the inner bit is called the core, so the actual engine is very small, and then around it you have the fan, so it's like a propeller, but it's all in case within that engine. So the middle bit is the actual engine. The outer bit is just air that gets pushed by that propeller around the side of the engine. Helps keep the noise down, helps keep the engine cool, and it's just very efficient way to go. So if you do happen to hit a bird, and we did not that long ago, and it went around the side of the engine and we just felt a little vibration, and we're monitoring it and they can. We've got real time data that goes back on the ground and the engineers we're having a look and going, oh, yeah, look, everything's fine. You're okay to keep going. But if it goes down the middle of the engine, because it gets very hot, you know, it's up at around seven or eight hundred degrees celsius, you can get a smell of burnt bird, a roast chicken kind of smell that goes into the cabin for a short time KFC because it's over livered yep, because the bird's gone through the main part of the engine and sort of cooked instantly, and the air that's been tapped off the engine as it goes through the machine. You still get a little bit of that smell for a short time. So that's a giveaway that a bird has actually gone through the actual core, the middle of the engine.
Speaker 1: So if ever you're on a plane and you go it smells like chicken, yeah, it's a chance you've just collected a poor little birdie on the way.
Speaker 3: Correct.
Speaker 1: How fascinating is that it's always educational working with you, Nathan.
Speaker 3: And for me too, I learned what's about.
Speaker 1: I don't think you learn a lot from me.
Speaker 3: I do, I do. Don't talk yourself down.
Speaker 1: Bas is in North Geelong High bas Hey.
Speaker 4: You go, he got good.
Speaker 9: Oh, I've had a bad day that I had to go and see my grandfather. He's been dead forty four years and I'll love him to death. When I was cheap, we don't ever listen together, you don't it. Yeah he was in World War two.
Speaker 4: Yes, he brought he built a big camp in Walla, Waller for the Croatians because with a Nachi's time and we like the ma.
Speaker 3: Son like an internment, an internment camp for people. They did that with Japanese people as well, and Germans, I guess too.
Speaker 9: And yeah, and then Brendad when I was seized Europe. Do you know the austrange that they sent there took out eighty percent of Europe?
Speaker 3: Was the Australian continue punched well above their weight? Is what you Is that what you mean?
Speaker 4: Oh? Of course, Yeah.
Speaker 16: The grandfather got to Europe.
Speaker 9: Croatians.
Speaker 1: Thanks for the call, Bas, but we'll well, we might just move on from that conversation. Fascinating as it as it is, and we do appreciate your call, and you're reminiscing about your grandfather, yes, but yeah, there's just for the time of the morning and the sort of audience we're chatting to, we might just move on from that conversation. But we do appreciate the call and thank you very much for it.
Speaker 3: Yes, war is it's not a pretty thing, is it? No, on many levels, on all levels.
Speaker 1: Yeah. There's a christ Bergh song yes, called Borderline, just a lovely one line in it that always struck with me. These are only boys and I will never because so many people were just teenage. Yes, yes, these are only boys and I will never know how men can see the wisdom in a war.
Speaker 3: Yes, great great lyric by christ.
Speaker 1: Burgh, very true. Jim is in West foods Gray, How are you, Jim.
Speaker 16: Not too bad, Good morning, Simon, Nathan and Jay. The song is said about Phil Collins being something that I'm not being dead.
Speaker 1: Oh yeah, Phil Collins last tour when he came out a couple of years ago. The tour was actually called the Not Dead Yet Tour.
Speaker 16: Ah, that's very strange because Pink had a song I'm not Dead Yet or something like that.
Speaker 3: Who pinched it? From whom?
Speaker 16: I would have been Phil Collins. I must have pinched the first, because I don't ever remember Phil Colin singing that.
Speaker 1: But I remember I know it wasn't a song. It was the name of his tour, like oh.
Speaker 3: Like Eagles with hell freezes over to Yeah.
Speaker 16: Yeah, I think actually had a song I'm not dead or I'm not dead yet anyway. Nathan, Yes, a while back, I heard you talking about toward the shell cats and ginger cats. Yes, I had three Tordos cats and I named them are Missy because they all looked like crimees off each other. And I named the more Missy in memory of one of the other. Yes, and my last one I had fo seventeen.
Speaker 3: Years, which that's a very good deal.
Speaker 16: And like in shop, I remember Diamond when when she died. I rang you and Philip one remember when, and I was in shop and you and Philip were comforting me that I thought I'll never get another animal again. Then I decided to get goldfish and I bought I used to call the black ones goggle eyes. And when I went to the aquarium he said, I think he said, the proper name for him is blackmore.
Speaker 3: Yeah, black Moore goldfish, that's right.
Speaker 16: I started off with two of them one I actually started with one, then got another. I had a very large tank. I bought ten all together, and they grew very big. I'll still even though they grew big, my tank was very big. I had two pumps in there in case one do yep. And anyway, after they died, I thought I'll never at an animal again. But one thing I told Dennis that one time went on is being what do you know and that someone else doesn't know? And I told him the goldfish have a lifespan of thirty years if they don't get sick. And then I said that can't be possible. I've put a goldfish in the bowl miles dead in the week. So then Dennis decided to look it up.
Speaker 3: Yeah, and he said.
Speaker 16: Longest living goldfish in the world was forty two years old. Back to the tortoise.
Speaker 3: Cat, totoisell yep.
Speaker 16: Yeah, the tortoiseshell cats. I had three of them, and I used to know the manager Savors in Butts Gray. I don't know how we got talking about cats. I said to him, I've had three cat tortoise shell cats, the whole female. I've never come across a male cat. And he said to me, I own a male cat. But why I bring it up Because I heard you saying that the male tortoise cats are all born steroid.
Speaker 3: Ah, yes, because coat coloring.
Speaker 16: Yes, I go the other thing. I also had two ginger cats in the bath.
Speaker 3: Yep.
Speaker 16: I can't remember why you're saying about ginger cats. If you can.
Speaker 3: Remind you, Yeah, ninety nine percent of ginger cats are male, one percent of them a female. But the difference between that and the tortoiseshells is the female ginger cats are fertile, whereas the one percent of tortoiseshell cats which are male, are infertile.
Speaker 1: So how do you make more Well.
Speaker 3: They just end up the coat color. It ends up quite random. You can there are dominant and recessive genes. But if you have a look at a litter of kittens, they can be all different colors and sort of nothing like either of the parents.
Speaker 1: So I like a black tom cat mates with a female tortoise shell, you might get some black cats in some tortoish.
Speaker 3: Yeah, And it depends whether the gene is expressed. You need to have a recessive gene. You need to get the gene from both sides, male from the father and mother, whereas a dominant gene, if there's one, it's one or the other, and that will express.
Speaker 1: That your brown eyes and blue eyes.
Speaker 3: Ya, blue eyes are recessive, So you have to have both parents that give you the gene for blue eyes. But you can have two brown eyed parents that give you a blue eyed child.
Speaker 1: Well that's my wife and myself. Our daughter Shannon has blue eyes.
Speaker 3: Yes, because if you both have the blue geen and then just depending on how the egg and the sperm work out, then they can have the blue gen from the from the mother, a blue jean from the father. And yeah, two brown eyed parents can have a blue eyes and got.
Speaker 1: The blue from both. My wife and I obviously both have a blue and a brown geen. Yes, yeah, because my sister also has blue eyes and my wife's uncle has blue eyes.
Speaker 3: Yes, so it runs there and the blue hidden in the backward. It can sit for generations before it gets expressed. You have to have a parent. The other parent has to have the blue jean as well.
Speaker 1: And then my second daughter, Rachel had like black plossom eyes.
Speaker 3: Yes, yeah, but you'll still probably yeah, well she could still well carry the blue.
Speaker 1: Yes, she might, yes, exactly.
Speaker 3: Yeah, it's a genetics is incredible, it's amazing.
Speaker 1: Where would my baldness have come from? My grandfather on on both sides had here.
Speaker 3: Yes, are you sure that?
Speaker 1: Oh? Oh yeah, there's a question I've never asked. Oh that's interesting.
Speaker 3: Was there a board milkman?
Speaker 1: Proh.
Speaker 3: God, there's got some questions to be answered.
Speaker 1: Yes, I'll investigate that a little further. A break and then Bob Lee and Maggie and Norma will be with you in a sick I'm quite thrown. Hello there, welcome back to Australia overnight. Simon Owen's in the chair for Tony Mac and Nathan Coosh is here as well taking your calls. Bob is in cue good.
Speaker 4: Bob, don't good morning?
Speaker 17: Should I say, and Nathan last time we spoke, well, recall that you and I cross paths many times without knowing it. And the old fast Sours at Glen.
Speaker 3: Yes, that's right, the building in which I lived when I was living in Adelaide.
Speaker 17: Yeah, there's a little old lady called Elsie that was there for about thirty for thirty five years. That that was dear old mum that was on the Onus Corporation committee faithfully for all those years. Yes, anyway, what I was reading about. We all remember the Luft Tanser episode with the deranged pilot dropping an aircraft down in the mountains.
Speaker 3: Yeah, German Wings, Yes, it wasn't Loftime, so it was a company called German Wings. Yep.
Speaker 17: And apparently your audio records or the audio records showed or let us all hear the captain screaming and smashing at the door. Yes, and I read with an axe now is that true? Does that means there was an axe in the cockpit in the cabin.
Speaker 3: Yeah, there there is a crash axe on board. Different companies will have it in different places. It's not designed as a tool of discipline. It's designed there's different things you can do, like prying open panels if there's smoke or something, or you know, if Heaven forbid there's an accident, that you can chop your way out or use it to sort of chop down some trees and things to help build a shelter or that type of thing. So, yes, I remember hearing that, and they must have had that outside the outside the flight deck. So the captain was trying to get his way back in. Because of course the law of unintended consequences, there's post September eleven, we have a blastproof door and we have an entry system because the doors used to be just left unlocked and people would come in, and we have pered and we really have, you know, get visitors and things come up. But now, of course since September eleven, then the doors are locked and we can lock it from the inside and prevent anyone from coming in from the outside. And that's what this individual did. Had all sorts of problems, and the captain had gone out to go to the bathroom and then wasn't allowed back in, and the rest is history, so very very sad. But that's why we have all sorts of medical assessments and things, and the laws are very different here in that if one of our doctors felt that we were of any danger to ourselves or other people, then they have the duty of care and the right to disclose to stop people from continuing on, Whereas I believe in Germany that the privacy laws were such that there were doctors who knew there was a problem but weren't able to actually do anything about it.
Speaker 1: Yeah, so.
Speaker 3: You'd like to think it wouldn't happen here because if any doctor had concerns and they have to report it, and likewise we would of our colleague if we thought something's not right with them, then we would certainly take steps to make sure that they got help and weren't allowed back in the aeroplane until everything was sorted with them.
Speaker 1: Anything else there, Bob, No, that was.
Speaker 17: To answer my question. So what's to stop another lunatic outside in the cabin getting the.
Speaker 3: X Yeah, well, we don't have them outside inne.
Speaker 17: No, but the captain was using one in this term.
Speaker 3: Yes, that's right. Well, they obviously stored it out in the cabin. We don't, but he knew where it was, yes, Oh yeah, yeah, we have to know where everything is on the airplane, even in the cabin. So yeah, he was trying his best to get back in but sadly didn't didn't help.
Speaker 17: Well, I finally found out I saw that well, but yes, it really did.
Speaker 3: Happen, that's my understanding of it.
Speaker 17: Yes, me the frustrated that poor captain would have.
Speaker 3: Been terrifying knowing that, ye, knowing that you can't do anything. There's if there's an air crash investigations episode where something similar happened in Mozambique, in fact in Africa, where the first officer decided after the captain had left the flight deck to do something and it also ended the same way. But as I say, we're much more vigilant here, and the authorities have more power and that they are required to disclose if they feel that someone's potentially got some issues.
Speaker 1: How often, if you don't mind me asking, how often do you have some sort of medical medical?
Speaker 3: And now for normal for generally for private pilots, it's every two years. Once you get your commercial license and everything, it's every year, and then once you hit sixty five, then you've got to do it every six months. Yep, So I have a medical every six months.
Speaker 1: Okay, yeah, cool, sixty five I didn't realize you were that on. You look younger than me. That's very kind of you to say, signing Leanne is in Migna, Anne, Si, Na and Joe Haileen.
Speaker 18: I'm not sure if I don't remember I asked you about my little friends that and you said to get to do an emergency. Yes, right away, Yes, she had some sort of link answer lymphoma.
Speaker 8: Yeah, okay, yeah.
Speaker 18: Yeah, she wasn't a well kitten and she just got work got worth anyway. That's one thing I wasn't sure if I mentioned that.
Speaker 3: She's no you didn't, we not the follow up, but yeah, And that's sometimes how it happens that that often they they they're fine, and they're okay for quite some time, and then appear to go downhill very quickly, and then when you have a look at them and you go, hang on, well, this has been building up for some time. Animals have a big advantage over us, And as soon as we're feeling a little bit odd or we notice something a little lump or whatever, then we should get ourselves off to the doctor, whereas animals don't. As long as they're feeling okay, they just keep going and there can be all sorts of things brewing inside them that just keep going until it reaches a point where it does cause them some problems, and then they'll, yeah, they'll go downhill. Appears to be very quickly.
Speaker 18: Also, if I may ask Nathan, I've got a fifteen year old cat in one area, two seven year old cats in another area, and and I've got a one year old in another area. How the hell do I integrate them?
Speaker 3: Well, it depends on the individuals. There are some that will tolerate each other. There are some that will become buddies, and there are some that just they will not. Cats are very territorial, and their territory is not one area they've discovered. They've had people that have spent time watching where cats go and what they do, and they'll have a bit of territory here, and a bit of territory here, and a bit of territory there. Where you run into problems is when they're going from one bit of territory to the other because they're going through someone else's territory and so that can cause a bit of a problem. And that's where you get a lot of these fights. When you know when you're getting the cats crossing over. So look, it's worth just trying to see if they'll cope with each other. And most of them will just sort of keep away from each other initially, but if you see that they're getting aggressive, then you're just going to have to keep them apart. You can try if they're indoors a product that I mentioned from time to time called feely Way, and it's a plugin thing that you put in the wall like one of those air freshness and it puts out a pheromone, so a feel good hormone that doesn't do anything for us or any other species. It's specific for cats. There is a dog version of it as well, but if you try that, that can help just to calm them down a little. And you can pick that up from a pet shop. And there's something else you can get from a pet shop that it is a milk protein and it will just help you put it on the food. You don't use the cat dose, who use the big dog dose. And because it's just a milk protein, it's not like a drug that has to have a particular dose, and that can help to take the edge off them as well if you do that for a while before you try and introduce them. That may help just to put them in a better frame of mind and they won't get too wound up about sharing territory or finding their own territory.
Speaker 1: Or get them all stoned.
Speaker 3: Well, there's that. Put them in the room after you've smoked a couple of joints or something, Leanne, then you know, hopefully those and they'll mellow out, although they will be hungry, so you do need to give some plenty of food.
Speaker 1: I'm joking, yes, of course, just just to clarify that, yes, does that work for you.
Speaker 19: Leanne.
Speaker 3: Sil Kan, Yeah, that's the that's the protein and it comes in a capsule. You don't give them the capsule. You just open the capsule and then tip it onto their food z y l K E n E and you use the big dog does and they quite like it. So you can just tip it on some wet food because it's a powder and no good on dry food. So yeah, and it will just help to just take the edge off them. So if you do that for a little while, a few weeks before you decide you're going to try and introduce them, it might just help a little bit as well. And the feely way, So there are things you don't need or for which you don't need a prescription, so you can you can pick those up and see if they're.
Speaker 8: Going to help it all mainly my female yep.
Speaker 3: And give it to all of them. And then that way you don't just give it to the one that is apparently the bully, because sometimes the bully is only defending itself and the other one it's provoking them so when you're not looking correct and it's just sometimes the body language. So although they're not overtly aggressive, they can be very threatening and it's the one that's reacting that you think is the one that's the troublemaker, but it's just trying to defend itself. So give it to all of them. Try it for a few weeks and then just see how you go introducing them for short periods. Start just before they're due to be fed, and then that way you can then put the food back in their areas and so they can just have limited exposure to each other and see if that helps.
Speaker 1: Excellent, See how you go leand report back in a weeks. Would be interesting to hear how it goes. Yes, it's twenty six to two. That's if you're in Victoria if you're in Western Australia twenty six to midnight, and if you're in South Australia it's four after one. More with Nathan cost in a sec We were talking about trivia earlier from Doctor John One reason we like trivia. Each time you successfully answer a trivia question, your brain gives you a small dopamine boost, creating a sense of accomplishment and reinforcing your desire to play again. The dopamine reward not only makes trivia fun, but also strengthens your ability to recall facts more easily in the future.
Speaker 3: Which makes perfect sense. And that's why people get addicted to various things, because you just get a little boost of pleasure with that and say you continue or you want to continue that behavior.
Speaker 1: Yes, so that's why I remember a lot of interesting facts. But I forget to buy toothpaste when I'm at.
Speaker 3: The shops, absolutely because that doesn't trigger any sort of enjoyable emotion.
Speaker 1: Toothpaste doesn't make me happy at all. Maggie's in Adelaide.
Speaker 20: Hi, Maggie, ah, Hi, yeah, Hi there, Simon and Nathan.
Speaker 8: Hello Meggie, Yeah, yeah, Now may.
Speaker 20: I digress somewhat? I don't know which way to go? The one club a slasher, the Chase or my children And they're different, three children, dark haired, blue eyes, brown eyes and all that. So which one shall I start with?
Speaker 3: Well, let's start with the one percent club slash the Chase. I do like the Chase, I have to say this, the English version as well as the Australian version.
Speaker 20: Yes, no, okay, yeah, yeah, I do like the chase, but in that case I prefer the Australian version.
Speaker 3: Yes, with Larry Ender, Yeah.
Speaker 20: Yeah, but I think it's a little bit too slow sometimes.
Speaker 3: Well that's why they're using it up with that wheel that they have that boosts the money and that type of thing, because I think they're copying a lot of pressure from the on Channel nine at the same time with todd Woodbridge tipping point and that's a bit more, a bit more razmetas so I think they're trying to juge up the chase just a little bit as well.
Speaker 20: Oh I haven't watched the the that that one, but I've heard of this. Yeah, but I prefer the Australian version of the Chase.
Speaker 3: Andrew O'Keefe or Larry Ender.
Speaker 20: Larry and I look, Keith was a flamboyant, and I quite liked him despite whatever was you know.
Speaker 1: Yafore, his television persona and performance was exceptional good. Yeah, I agree with.
Speaker 3: That, very talented person and the lawyer by training and a singer as well, and nephew of course of the late Johnny o'key.
Speaker 1: Yes, just some character flaws, ye.
Speaker 20: So Also having said that, I quite like the one said club. It's abstraight thinking, you know, that type of thing, and so perhaps the UK version it really doesn't matter because whatever the questions are, it's not related to that of the UK or.
Speaker 3: Yeah, yeah, because sometimes with the quiz shows they ask very specific sort of English questions or American questions or whatever. So but as you say, with the one Percent Club, they just it's general brains, brain teasers and puzzles. I sometimes find it annoying because you look at it and you look at it, and you look at it, I haven't got a clue. And then when they tell you the answer and explain why you think that is so bloom and obvious, why did I not see it?
Speaker 1: So I'm pretty good at those.
Speaker 3: Pictorial and spacious spatial but.
Speaker 1: I cannot, for the life of me do a cryptic crossword.
Speaker 3: Yes, different skills the Sorry, Maggie, I love them. Cryptic crosswords, Yeah, I can't do them either. I think once you've done a number of them, you kind of get the patterns and you get the way that they ask the questions. But I'm like you, Simon, I just you know, some of them have the normal clues and the cryptic clues, and then when you do the normal one and then you look at the cryptic one, you go, Okay, I see how they got that. But I couldn't think to sort that out. But I guess you get used to it, and you get to learn the way that they ask these things.
Speaker 1: Yeah, now, Maggie, we've got to move on. But what did you want to say about your kids and genetics?
Speaker 11: Oh?
Speaker 20: Okay, going onto that, Yeah, of course.
Speaker 18: Yeah.
Speaker 20: Mother of three children, same baba. The oldest was brown hair, brown eyes, second blonde hair, blue eyes, and the third well then blonde hair, sort of brownness, shy you go one with a lot.
Speaker 1: Yeah. Are you sure you're the mother?
Speaker 3: Yes?
Speaker 11: Oh?
Speaker 20: Absolutely.
Speaker 3: That's what It's funny you say that, Simon, because when my son was born, he was an absolute dead spinning image of me. Yes, and he had I was blonde as a child and blue eyes, and my ex very dark olive skin, very dark hair and brown eyes. And then when Philip was born, they said, well, I'm sure I'm the father, but I can't be sure that Max is the mother.
Speaker 1: Yes, which people? It takes that moment.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I go, hang on, yeah, exactly.
Speaker 1: I got that joke. I always say everything I've learned I got from comedy Robin Williams when his wife was pregnant with it their first child. As part of his stand up routine, He's up there on stage doing all this stuff and then he says I'm about to become a father, and there's a big round of applause, and he says, I don't know who the mother is. Very funny line. It is, thank you, Maggie. Norma's in w A.
Speaker 3: Hello Norma, good morning him. Good. How's the evening in w A?
Speaker 19: Very pleasant? I don't think this much, Rye, but we have a nice day today.
Speaker 3: Lovely, very strange weather we're having, isn't it around the place?
Speaker 19: Very odd? Simon. I was in the hospitality yesterday talking to a dear Christian friend of mine. Now I asked her yesture just about her faith. I said to her, if Jesus defeated Satan at Calvary, why did he leave him on earth for us to contend with the answer really surprised me. Without Satan, the Bible loses all its power, fear and purpose.
Speaker 3: That's it. Well, you've got to have a bad guy, don't you, and a protagonist in movies and things. Otherwise it or gets a bit boring.
Speaker 19: Absolutely, absolutely balance.
Speaker 1: You've got yeah, to have good, you've got to have evil.
Speaker 3: Otherwise there's no counterbalance good.
Speaker 1: If we never knew what sadness was, we wouldn't know what it's like to be happy.
Speaker 19: That's right, that's correct, that's correct.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 19: Now, as far as the genie go, I have three children. They I've got one olive skin, brown hair, one freckly skinned, ginger hair, one Doug frickly skinned, all the same father. Unbelievable is that variation right throughout my family?
Speaker 3: Yes? Do people ask questions of you?
Speaker 19: Well, it's a funny thing. No, no one's ever no one's ever questioned. But the girls were doing their family trees and they got there, what do you call it when you get your.
Speaker 3: Blood tested DNA tested?
Speaker 19: Yeah, And they said to me, there moment shows that were even related to dead's sister.
Speaker 3: That's handy, good to know, will, But no.
Speaker 19: I'd never had any doubts or questions, so I'd never questioned it when they came up with.
Speaker 3: Yes, although you've got to be careful about those DNA tests because a friend of mine who was blonde hair, blue eyes, wanted to see if there was any sort of Scandinavian blood in the family and did the DNA test and found out that preps dad wasn't.
Speaker 1: So yeah, really it is better to know, though, yeah, I think, yeah, yeah, because it gives you a chance to find out who you're yes, your blood relatives.
Speaker 3: Yes, and well they're talking about that also, if you've got any genetic conditions that run through the family, then at least to be able to identify those and then make some decisions if you're going to have kids, that type of thing. But yeah, it certainly was through a spanner in the works when all of that came out. But anyway, well.
Speaker 1: I did a DNA test, and a cousin of mine who also has the same we have our accounts with my heritage. Yes, he also did his DNA and we came up as cousins. So that's andy good. Yeah, that's reinforced to know that. Yes, it's just a peace of mind. Yes, thank you, dormt. We must break. We'll get to more calls off this and it. You'll be up next. And Annett has called from long Weary.
Speaker 6: Hi earn it hid hellah?
Speaker 1: Yeah, good, thank you.
Speaker 3: Hello Aett long Worri is a lovely part of the world.
Speaker 7: Oh, I've got a golden triever.
Speaker 11: Yes, maybe fifteen months old. Right, he's killing me?
Speaker 3: He what sorry, he's killing me.
Speaker 18: He's chewed my out door.
Speaker 3: So he's chewing he's chewing things, is he?
Speaker 19: Oh?
Speaker 20: Yeah, I want some.
Speaker 3: Okay me?
Speaker 16: Yeah?
Speaker 3: If look, you need to give him some sort of diversion. So has he got lots of toys and things that he is allowed to chew a lot of.
Speaker 13: Toys, But unfortunately I'm a single month Yeah, I worked twenty four to.
Speaker 20: Seven, so I've kn'd even taking walking.
Speaker 3: Yeah, well that's probably part of it, because he's getting bored and he's starting just to develop an antisocial behavior. If you like one of the things that you can get and they're not terribly expensive, a food releasing toy, different brands, as a brand called Kong that's probably the best known of them, and your stuff them full of food. There are ones that you can put in dry food or wet food, but peanut butter or liverwurst or paate or that type of thing, or there's ones that you can put in dry food and as it rolls around, it slowly releases the dry food, and that can help to keep him occupied for a while. Now, obviously, if you're giving him that food, reduce his normal meal by that amount. Otherwise he's going to be putting on weight because he's giving him the extra food. But it might be that you need to do something like that to help distract him, because they can take some hours for the food to be dispensed, and maybe that's just going to keep him away from chomping on things that he doesn't chomp. The other thing that you might be able to do if you've got a neighbor or a friend that's happy or able to take him out walking and giving him some stimulation, because otherwise, if he's just sort of sitting at home by himself and getting bored, then that's how he's picked up this kind of behavior. So getting a dog walker or a friend or a relative or a neighbor who would be happy to take him for walks might help as well. Just to keep him occupied. I think that's what you need to do, is to displace his behavior and keep him occupied and busy, and then hopefully he won't be doing all the.
Speaker 10: Chewing, Nathan, he's not on his own.
Speaker 7: He's got a partner.
Speaker 3: Yes, even then, you know, it's just he probably wants your company. But yeah, try try the food releasing toys and see if that helps you at all. If not, you might need to find a dog trainer or a dog behavior somewhere in your area there and have a chat with them and see if they've got some other strategies.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I know you said that money's a bit tight. Yeah, maybe just googling. Yeah, absolutely a bit for training. Yeah, there's a lot of training things out there. Just be a little bit wary.
Speaker 3: Some people have got some pretty unusual ideas about dog training. But yeah, have a look on Google and see. But I think, you know, because they're so food driven, and particularly golden retrievers, then just giving him something to keep him occupied might be it. And it might be that his partner is you know, not providing him the stimulation that he would otherwise need.
Speaker 1: Good on your net. Good luck with that. Let's know in coming weeks how it goes. If you can help settle him down there. Yes, another break, we'll be back to wrap it up before news. Nathan Cosh is here for only another three minutes before he rides off or flies off into the sunmit.
Speaker 3: So I get on my broom and head off, so we've got.
Speaker 1: Time to squeeze one more calling Simon's in Colac Hi, Simon, good Simon.
Speaker 7: Yeah, my mom had a little cane can terror and share a little sunnys a fox and cocky cross can terror. He lives. He lives for not doing news in ten months.
Speaker 3: That's a great innings.
Speaker 7: And I am the curly head retriever. Yes, and it's and when I was living back and this quake the new me. My dog got let off the chain. And when I went on the road, Uh see buggies leading spreet places. And there's a bit nothing but about muscle cleaned down for me.
Speaker 3: Uh yeah, yeah, my friend Mike is Yeah, anyway I would have yes, so you still see Mike.
Speaker 7: No, I must off the way in now.
Speaker 3: Okay, one of my one of my dear old UNI friends whose father, it turns out, who I knew I didn't know at the time though, was actually a New Zealand World War II fighter race. Well really, the course, there's some things and I knew, well, it's her name of Rhodes, first name of Howard, so of course he was known to all and sundry as Dusty Dusty Roads.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 3: Absolutely, for all the years that I had no idea. Mike only told me later some of his exploits and I thought, wow, if only i'd known when he was around. Just it's amazing to hear some of the stories of these people, not glorifying anything, but just some of the stuff that they had to do. And they were, you know, sort of eighteen year old kids thrown into the war and just terrible. But anyway, he was a real character, that's for sure.
Speaker 1: News is coming up a bit very quickly, Bud Tingwell, Yes, actor, and all of a sudden, my night we're interviewing and he's talking about his time during the war flying planes. Yes, that's right, amazing stories. Nathan Coosh, thank you once again for Pets and jets.
Speaker 3: My pleasure loved to see assignment.
Speaker 1: You'll be back to do it all again next week with Tony mac Yes after the News War of your Calls one, double three six nine three. Let's get some calls happening